Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Peanut Tillman and this is the NFL Players Sagan Acts Podcast and with me, as always my church's co host, mister Roman Harper.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 4: What man? How you doing?
Speaker 3: Peanut? Uh?
Speaker 5: Really excited about the guests that we have today. And then also just this uh, this taj mahall that we're in right now in the middle of Frisco, Texas. Uh, the Star Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys allowing us to be here to interview some of their greatest and finest people around the area. And it's uh, I gotta, I gottamit. I'm very very impressed with what we see today. Yeah, let's get right into it.
Speaker 2: Our guest right now played nine seasons with the Chiefs, won a Super Bowl. He and his wife Marissa now have a cookie empire called the Cookie Society. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the pod. Mister Jeff Outen, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Lean not Tillman, the Chicago legend. Now as a as a kid growing up in Chicago, man, I want to give you flowers. Appreciate what you did for the city. A kid that grew up on the South side. You gave me hope. So appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, I received it.
Speaker 3: Rum. I watched you too, man, the connection one there where you've had great here in my whole life, So that you know you're awesome guy. Man, You guys are your great. You guys are unbelievable polish at this media things. So appreciate y'all having me.
Speaker 4: Oh Man, Jeff Man. Appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I knew you were a big fan of Pein. I mean the moment you met him.
Speaker 5: That's the first thing you said when you walked in was like, dude, big fami of yours shock Chicago. So shout out to you guys, man, and what you're doing off the field has been amazing. So I want to jump into that. Before we get into all that, though, I want to talk about your newest.
Speaker 4: Adventure in your life.
Speaker 5: I heard you have a baby girl on what was the date, February seventeenth. Around that January seventeenth, okay, January seventeen, you post.
Speaker 3: The picture February Sebruary. We waited a little bit of time before we let everybody know, but amazing child number three we took over the time. I have a ten year old just turned ten yesterday and I have an eight year old son. So two girls, one boy, man three? How is it?
Speaker 4: How is it being back in the diaper phase?
Speaker 3: We didn't realize how hard it was. Yeah, we forgot.
Speaker 1: You did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was out. Then you go back. It's rough. It's rough. You forget, and then you forget those sleepless nights. But at the end of the day, y'all know, it's all worth it. It's the greatest gift on earth, it is having children, and just to see that. Honestly, it's a different phase in my life. I'm retiring now, so I'm spending more time with the baby, and I'm doing some of those diaper changes. I can't make the excuse that I got I got practice in the morning. Yeah, so so I'm doing that. But it's an unbelievable experience being able to be here and see the child developed at these early stages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's you.
Speaker 3: You got four. I got four four.
Speaker 1: As a lucky number, so I got to go one more then you got to you know.
Speaker 5: It's personal, that's personal preference. Me I wasn't trying, you know what I mean, So you know, but me neither.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you.
Speaker 5: Swing the back, you may you may make contact every now and then, so that's just what it is. But yes, you enjoy yourself. I'm not trying to go back to any kind of diaper phase. All My kids are now using the bathroom by themselves, So I think once you get to that phase, you know, it's really hard to go back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Want to talk about high school. So you went to was it King?
Speaker 2: Yeah, College preparatory, King College Prep, King College Prep south Side, east Side, south Side. But what was that experience like for you? And how was football at at that specific school?
Speaker 3: It was amazing. I grew up on the East side of Chicago, which is a little bit of a distance from King, but at the time, my uncle he was coaching at King, so he convinced me to come there. Yeah, they had just transitioned from a normal school. Chicago went through an educational change at that time where they're getting rid of some vocational schools and opening college preparatory schools. So King became one of those schools and I ended up going there. You know, playing football started at varsity all four years. Got that tough love for my uncle, you know, he played the University of Miami back and he hey day from those good days. I mean his roommate was Russell Maryland, yeah, mic wherever he was there those days, and he was hard on me.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: He made a lot of mistakes and he wanted to make sure I didn't make those mistakes. And honestly, it was one of the big reasons why I was able to have that that gritting, that toughness and be able to persevere through some things as I got throughout my career.
Speaker 1: Now, who was the big Who was the big rival?
Speaker 3: I used to play our biggest rival, and I would probably say Crane High School. It was out West. We always had some tough battles against them, basketball and football. Also semeon same thing. Yeah, that's the ones.
Speaker 5: That's Deck Rose, yeah yeah, yeah yeah. And they also the other guy that passed away.
Speaker 3: There, guy Benji Wilson. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: So Now this is for people like me, college ignorant, whatever, or you can just call it from the South.
Speaker 4: But a lot of people from the South.
Speaker 5: We look at the you know, U city guys, Chicago, New York, other big city like they ain't really playing the ball up there. Tell me what football is like in the of Chicago.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's kind of true. I mean that was what was it like, It's kind of it's kind of true. I mean I'm here in Texas and i've been so you were I've been here for ten years. I was in Houston before and now I'm here in Dallas. School football football is life here, yes, And in Chicago up north as basketball yes. So we don't get those same resources, we don't get the same crowds. It's not the same energy. And honestly, when I first started, we'd have a weight room, we'd have a field. Wow, I was really wrong. So when I got to college, that was one of the first times I had a weight program. Now I could barely bench to twenty five. I couldn't make a run. That was just pure athleticism and talent. I had a lot of a lot of growing up to do, and those coaches got me, you know, in the right position. But early on it it was like, I don't know if this is for me.
Speaker 2: So the thing that I think, I don't think a lot of people know about the city of Chicago, like CPS. If you do it for one school, you got to do it, and it's way too many schools and it's just too many schools, you know what I'm saying. Like at my daughter school, she goes to Kingwood. She went to Kingwood, Like they didn't when it was cold. They ran in the building and it like they just ran in a big square in their building between lockers and classrooms, like they was just they run in sprints in the school in the middle of the hallway. Like that's just that's just kind of what you had to do. What was I got another side question? What was the first thing that I ran through your mind when you saw Friday night lights in the state of Texas and like a high school game, like the crowd everything.
Speaker 3: First time when I saw the stadium, I'm like, who's paying for this? This is crazy, man. This looks like the Vision one football And just to see the fandom, like these local businesses are shutting down. You see all everyone's invested in these kids. I mean that's superstars. I mean early on, they're getting that treatment early on. So to see it, you can only experience it by seeing it. It's not something you can really explain. And the energy that you see in these stadiums is unbelievable.
Speaker 5: So you you talked about it earlier about you know, how raw you were and by the time you got to college that you know, you didn't have a lot of the resources that you lack going to high school, and you know, believing having your uncle to kind of believe in you important to you. Did you ever think that you could make it to the NFL kind of growing up the way that Because you put a tweet out one time, and it was a really really good tweet. It talked about I wasn't a high school all star player, and I think a lot of people need to hear that a lot of guys that make it to the NFL or exactly exactly what you're what you were saying, And so you said I wasn't a high school all star as zero stars, I wasn't on anybody's radar. But one camp, just one opportunity, changed everything.
Speaker 4: I went to a.
Speaker 5: Camp in Illinois one day campaign into my senior season, I got an offer and from there I became a two star recruit.
Speaker 4: That was all I needed.
Speaker 5: And So because you maybe just kind of talk about that what your experience was, because we all have them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but that sounds very personal. Man. Ever since I was a kid all I wanted to do was play in the NFL, Like I immediately fell in love with football, Like I still love football the same way. I'm a big fan of it. Now I don't play it anymore. But my first time playing football, I snuck out of the house I was I wasn't even old enough to sign up for the team. I went to a local park. It was right now with Jackson Park, and I saw kids with pads. I'm like, where'd y'all get those from? They told me following them one day, went up there, lied to the coach. The first thing we did was run a lap around the whole field. I'm like, why are we doing this? I just want pads. But I ended up signing up for the team, and after the first hit, it was boom, this is for me. And I remember watching Bears Packers and all I wanted to do is be Reggie White. Yea in the first jersey I got was Reggie White. Even though I was a Bears fan. I had that because I wanted to be like him. And from that moment it was just constant work, constant belief, despite the circumstance. Is growing up where I grew up a lot of people don't make it out. It's a tough situation, but I had belief. I had a strong support since with my mother, my uncle, and I was able to do it. And it was one step at a time. I remember I ended up telling Jason Nevanta's story. Shout out to Jason nevant Jason up becoming with my teammates in Kansas City, but before he was my teammate, he came to talk to our youth team. He came to talk to us and he was telling us about the process. And at the time he was in the NFL, he was at Michigan and he was telling us the process of college and what it took to get there and what you had to do. And he wasn't talking directly to me, but I was in that crowd, and that gave me so much excitement and energy. And although I had my uncle in my life, he was my uncle, hearing it from someone else, coming from my neighborhood from where I was from, that gave me a different spark of energy. And that's one of the main reasons why I do what I do now. And I get the opportunity to talk to kids, I give it my all because you never know who's going to be in that crowd, so shout out to you, Jason. I appreciate you.
Speaker 5: But and the crazy thing is that a lot like you go talk to this group and you're not everybody's gonna hear it, but you never know the one who you changed their life, or that here's something that really, like you said, sparks this light in them. It's like, man, I want to do that. That's awesome, that's a great story.
Speaker 2: Thanks for So I got my thirteen years.
Speaker 1: You played twelve eleven, but thank you.
Speaker 4: Oh I give you one.
Speaker 1: I'll give you twelve.
Speaker 2: So I got my thirteen, he got his eleven. Thousands of football players that we've played amongst the two of us, and we can always go back to that. One player was like, dang, that's that welcome to the NFL moment. Now I'm now I know I'm in the league. When you got drafted, what was your welcome to the NFL moment?
Speaker 3: Man? Tommy Kelly and Richard Seymour they were older at the time, but they're in Oakland and they looked like avatars. And I can remember it was an outside on play and I crossed my feet and I was airborne, and all I saw is Richard Seymour standing over me and Tommy Kelly just talking straight cash. Oh my god, what am I? It's my rookie year in the game before that had a great game a regular I felt great, So it all counts. I'm like, yeah, all counts. I start feeling myself and I could play in this league. These guys, I mean they're old. Now boom them me real quick. So that taught me a lesson, man, for sure.
Speaker 5: Now you said that, you know, you kind of came out of nothing, but I mean you did start every game in college, yeah right, and left tackle. So how did like you go from like I don't know, tam a sudden Listen, It's okay.
Speaker 3: A lot of hard work, God and a little bit of luck. We all have those same stories. So I left high school. I was able to graduate mid year. Okay, So when I win the spring my struggle, all of my struggle happened while all the other freshmen at home. So I'm with the with the upper classmen. They give me a hard time. I'm not making any runs. I'm doing six a ms and I knew what I was in for before fall camp came. So I didn't go back home after the spring. I stayed there, stayed the whole summer. Once all the other freshmen came in, I was ahead of the curve.
Speaker 4: You're eight months in already, I.
Speaker 3: Was already in, So I was in for it. I had a decent spring valls with the twos and threes. Then I went into fall camp. We had a couple of injuries. I was playing guard at the time, but because of injury, I got some reps a tackle in practice, did some one on ones, went against our best defensive end at the time, had a great rep against and the coaches like, do it again, did it again, shut them down, do it again three times in the rows. Okay, you may be a tackle. So I slowly started getting reps of tackle. Had another guy go go down Game one. I didn't start my first game. He went down broke his foot like halfway through the game, and then I was starting after that. My first start was at Penn State doing a white out against Aaron Mabon, who ended up being a top pick. At the time I'm watching it was the morning of the game. It was the night game. I'm watching the ESPN. They're talking about our matchup and that like Aaron's gonna kill his kids. True freshman, it's his first start. I think Aaron had five sacks at the time, and I was the I was the weakest link in their eyes, and I remember leaving it. I was like, oh man, I'm gonna be the one that that messed this thing up. But I went out there. I shook off the nerves. First play, it was a pass play. I slipped, recovered, ended up blocking him. I was okay, I might be all right. And then it was a third and long. For the first time, he knows this past. I blocked him, and that gave me the utmost confidence had a great game to give him any sacks, any pressures. And from that moment, I had the mindset, you got to show me, like I don't care what nobody's saying on TV. I don't care what the rankings say. You haven't played me yet.
Speaker 2: Our coach used to always say, you got to guard the man, not the reputation, and that that that I think that that holds true.
Speaker 1: That kind of sounds like the was Wally Pip.
Speaker 3: Yeah when he got hurt in Babe Ruth game.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's yeah, No, No, that's what I'm saying, like someone got hurt, you got.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it is. I guess that my version of it. I appreciate it. Come on, we're gonna take a short break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 5: So what was it like You talked about reputation? What was it like playing for Andy Reid? We mentioned a little bit earlier, but I want you to share with everybody else I've heard. I won't say horror stories, but I mean it's pretty old school.
Speaker 3: No, he definitely has the worst camp in the NFL. It's one of those things that make you want to retire early. But Andy Reid is the greatest leader I've ever ever been around. Yeah, he's old school, but he's also a players coach, and he cares about the human being. Obviously, noticed a business that we're in. Anything happy, you got to make decisions. But he's always gonna care about the person, and he's always gonna be honest with you. He's not gonna be one of the people that smile on your face and tell you and do something otherwise. He's going to tell you the truth. You got you gotta trust that and you gotta believe it. He also got to go out there and perform, So I was very appreciative of that in his mindset.
Speaker 5: So where would you rank him as on your list of all time coaches if you had to have one.
Speaker 3: I always have this debate with people. I would say he's the greatest ever. Honestly, I think I think Belichick, obviously, in what he did with New England, speaks volumes and everyone puts him on that at the top. But Andy's done it in many different ways, in many different areas, several teams, and a lot of different quarterbacks. That's hard to do. I don't think Bill ever had the opportunity to do that. He has so long with Tom Brady, he never really had the opportunity to do it with a lot of quarterbacks, so he had such a great one for so long. But Andy's done it a lot of different ways. And being in the building with him and seeing how he operates, He's open to feedback from coaches, from players. He's always evolving and getting better. And I don't know if that's really the New New England way from what I hear.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, they're not trying to kick Bill Belichick while he's down, But yeah, I know he was below five hundred at Cleveland as a head coach, and then once Tom left they kind.
Speaker 3: Of struggled as well.
Speaker 5: But back to Andy Reid, what's up with the Hawaiian shirts? Like, has he ever explained to you guys like his whole swag?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they're comfortable. He's all about He's all about comfort and cheeseburds. Comfort in cheeseburgers. He says that every meeting, I'm gonna treat you to a burger after every every meeting before again, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: He says cheeseburger and everything. I saw in one of the meetings he said, you know we're gonna do this this all right, come on, let's go get some cheese burds.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Everything. He loves some cheese burgs. Okay. He loves food, not just I mean, honestly, I think I talked to him more about food than out there football does. Cookies, he loves cookie society's favorites. Sweep potato pot that's his favorite cookie. He's definitely an offensive line guy. Yeah, and he still loves the old line. He loves foods just like we did.
Speaker 2: So I would love to know what Andy Reid and the entire team what their mood was on Go back to twenty thirteen, the wild card game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: At the start of the third quarter, it was thirty eight ten Chiefs, thirty eight Colts ten. By the end of the third quarter it was forty one thirty one Chiefs, and ultimately the Chiefs or excuse me, the Colts st ended up winning forty five to forty four. Yeah, they gave up, They gave up the lead. So what was what was how was that afterward? Like in the locker room? Was what was the message?
Speaker 3: Man? That wasn't really a message. That was a series of unfortunate events. I mean, everything that could go wrong, and that second half went wrong, and it wasn't. It wasn't like we came out and I mean, obviously we did something wrong, but it wasn't like mentally we went out and said we're gonna take our foot off the gas. It just was a lot of crazy stuff that happened, and it has to in order for a team to come back like that. And after the game, it was just one of those moments where it was a lot of silence. We all were in disbelief. I really try to forget about it, but thank you for bringing it back up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: I really think about that game a lot. Honestly. That was a really tough loss for me. And one of my college roommates was on the other side, so he still.
Speaker 2: I just remember, I figured, y'all, we're going to lose a game when I think the running back Donald he fumbled on the goal line and then Andrew Look picked it up and it's kind of bounced right in his hands and then he dove in for a touchdowns Like, oh yeah, the football guys are on the coatses team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, they're looking out for you.
Speaker 4: So when you're on the sideline, all right, So when you're up, you're up. You're cool. Like, at what point do we like, man, we trip it? Like, at what point did that happen?
Speaker 2: DJ said it a little bit like DJ was miked up that game and he was just like, come on, now, we're not losing this game, like he is. You can see DJ tr ting to like stay positive and keep the mental sharpness.
Speaker 1: Of the team, like, no, we're gonna win. We can't lose this game.
Speaker 3: We gave up like seventeen points in like four minutes. I was like, this is crazy. But I remember going on the sideline after after a series and then running our running back FuMB with the ball. We turned it over there, getting a little bit momentum, and I just remember our coach offensive line coach telling us like, hey, pick it up, pick it up, don't let it. You know, I'm not gonna say I want to say, but stuff rose downhill, and that's sure what happened. Everything just kept piling up, and mistake after mistake happened, and you know, the coach had some good luck there, but ultimately I think we gave that game away.
Speaker 5: So did Andy Reid call you in twenty eighteen until you not to retire?
Speaker 3: Yes, he did tell me about this. So I had a back and cussion my last year in Houston, and I was I was in Pittsburgh. Rehappen, ended up getting back healthy. But after I got healthy, I was reluctant to play again. I was like, I don't want to play anymore. I'm done. But I was still was training my trainer down here, Duke Manning. Whether I still was working out, that's all I knew was to work out that way, and he was down in training camp and I guess my name came up and he said, Jeff still working out And I ended up getting a call from Andy Reid and he convinced me not to retire, And.
Speaker 4: How do you convince somebody not to retire?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 3: The conversation was like, are you truly done? Like? Are you truly done? If you are truly done, I'm going to respect that. I just want to know, you know, from you personally, you know, are you done? And before I had that call with him, I felt like I wasn't done, and I had calls from other teams. I was like, no, I'm done. And then when I got that call. Leading up to that, I just had this feeling that I was leaving something on the table. I really felt like I wanted to go back, and it had to be the right situation. Obviously Kansas City, knowing Andy Reid and being comfortable Anti Hecked office line coach there, that would be a good fit for me. It was an easy decision. You come back.
Speaker 1: How gratifying was it to win a Super Bowl though?
Speaker 3: With him and Patrick Mahms because you out there. I didn't get the opportunity to play in that Super Bowl, but to see you know everything leading up to that that was that was definitely amazing.
Speaker 5: What does it tell you about the organization because on the big chart, right, the Chiefs have had a whole.
Speaker 3: Bunch of success.
Speaker 5: But now all of a sudden, the NFL comes out with this chart every year where they rank the organizations. Yeah, the Chiefs. Yeah, for the food, the facility, all this other. And you would think the Chiefs would be at the top. Oh yeah, but they weren't. But you and your experience has been great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I definitely had a great experience, That's what I'm saying. But some of those grades I could see like that some of the facilities could be upgraded.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but what's your No, there's nobody like this.
Speaker 4: But what's your opinion that they made sure they give you a ring?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 4: You said what that you got a ring from the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: No, No, it's a great organization. Yeah, I would say, from top to bottom, the way they treat people. Yes, straight, I think a lot of this first class. I think a lot of people's opinions were based upon aesthetics. Right.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't even think that even comes from the people in the building.
Speaker 3: What that comes from outside? That has for us. That doesn't That doesn't matter to me. I don't care what the weight room looks like. I don't care what the training room looks like. I care about winning, yes, at the end of the day, and I care about do we have a good coaching staff and how they treating us like men and we respect And that's all I ever got from there.
Speaker 2: I think one of the best things that the organization does is if you're an ambassador for the team, Like if you're a retired player and they ask you to become an ambassador and you say yes, and you go out and you speak on behalf of the team and talk about all the good and whatever whatever that they're asking you to do, and the team actually goes out and they win a super Bowl, you get a ring.
Speaker 3: Yeah No, that's no, that's awesome. Because I got released week four, head into that sea.
Speaker 4: This is the story I wanted to hear.
Speaker 3: So I got released. I got released week four that year, and going into that preseason, I thought about retiring again. We just we lost the FC title the year before. I was like, I'm done. I told him. I was like, I'm done. I'm done. I'm done for real this time. Then I got that same call from Andy. He's like, Jeff, you just don't want to training camp. I was like, kind of, but Noah, I really was thinking about being done, but still the same feeling. I was like, you know what, I think this might video. We went the Super Bowl. A lot of stuff went on movement wise in the old line room that didn't they didn't expect. A lot of young guys went on waivers. They ended up picking them up getting the week four, we had a guy come from come back from suspension. We had a good relationship. We're gonna release it, but we're gonna bring it back. But at that time, when I got released, I went to Chicago, went talked to some family, messed with some friends, and ultimately after those conversations, I felt like I did everything that I could do and no matter what I was it coming back. Got released on a Thursday. On Monday, they call like, hey, we need you back. God got hurt a Sunday night against it. I think they're playing the Coats that Monday. They caused ours time. He thought it was gonna be a few weeks later. But at the time, I was like, you know what, I'm done, It's time for me to be done. I listened to my family, my friends, and god, my wife talked to my mom about it, and it was ultimately time to be done, and I transitioned to selling cookies.
Speaker 4: But at the end, you got the call and they were like, you're going to get a ring?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I got it.
Speaker 4: So did you know that you were going to get a ring?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I knew, I knew. I knew I was going to get a ring. It was one of those things where I really have a good relationship with the staff there. Brett Veach. Yeah, it was one of those things where I felt like it was the right thing to do, given the time that I spent there and given away that you know, we decided to move on. It wasn't like one of those things where it was a burned bridge. It just was a decision that was best for me at the time. So you were rooting hard, Oh yeah, I was a big fan. Yeah, yeah, that's all. I want to still a big fan.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 3: I wanted to see that and just just to see all the flact that Andy Ree was getting up until that. It's very true like he had to win it. It was always he always came up short. So to know the man and to see everything that he put into it. That's all I wanted to see. Like I wanted to see the guys win it, but I wanted to see Andy Reef for his legacy win it more than anything. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now let's transition to your second act. Right you retire, you and your wife get into the cookie the cookie business. I really want to know, like I really want to dive into, like how did this even start?
Speaker 3: Are you a baker? The baker? So I'll tell you. So she's the baker. I'm a big foodie and so is my wife. So every off season we travel, our tenerary would be based upon where are the places to go eat with whatever city or country wherever we are that off season, we took a quick trip to New York and there was a famous bakery there and I thought it was a bakery. I thought it was going full spread, croissants, all type of pastries. Waiting in line almost an hour, get to the front. They had four cookies and one croissant. I asked the associate, I'm like, hey, it's all y'all have. She's like, yeah, this is all that we sell. And I'm like, this is crazy. I waited in line just for cookies. So we went across the streets to Central Park. We sat on the bench and I ate the cookie and it was out of this world amazing. And I turned toward my wife. She was a former college soccer player, so she's competitive. Hit it with some reverse psychology and said, you can't do anything like this because I wanted it at home. That's it. It wasn't the start of business. We got back to Houston. She started playing around the kitchen trying to recreate their recipe. She couldn't figure it out, so she's like, you know what, I'm gonna make a cookie the way I think you should make it. Made a chocolate chip. Then it went on to banana pudding and so forth, and then all the flavors started coming. Started taking them in the locker room, give them the coaches, players, everybody said the same thing. These the best cookies you've ever had. And that's how we got the idea.
Speaker 1: So what year was that was?
Speaker 3: That was in twenty eighteen, So.
Speaker 2: That was in twenty eighteen. So twenty eighteen, you go to New York, you eat the cookie, you reverse psychology, Yeah, asked the wifey to make you some.
Speaker 1: She's making them.
Speaker 2: The team eats them, they love them. When did you When did you know that? Yo, we can turn this into a business.
Speaker 3: When someone asked to buy some, When someone asked to buy some, one of my teammates shout out to Chris Clark. He asked to buy some during the holidays. Yeah, and we're like. She was like, I don't sell cookies. That's not what I really want to do. I like baking them, but just give it to him. I was like, I grew up an entrepreneur man. Yeah, I grew up hustling. I was the one knocking on doors, shoveling snow, raking leaves, selling candy in the hall. That was me. So I was like, now you're going to sell it to him. He got the money, he gonna sell it to Yeah. So we end up selling the cookies and then after that we're like, you know, I was like, I don't know how much longer I'm going to play. We talked about franchises and things. I was like, how about we just build our own thing like that? And we decided We sat down at a table around table and we threw some things back and forth and we tried to figure out what it was going to be and we came across Cookie Society, looked it up, did some research, was able to trade market. The u r L was available all the social media tags and we just took it as a sign. I was like, this is this is this is something that that's new. And at the time there wasn't a lot of gourmet cookie companies, so we felt like we were bringing we were bringing something new to the market. But now they're everywhere.
Speaker 2: So how many do you I think you just opened up a third one in man Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got we have first. So we have Frisco Texas, South Lake Texas, Addison Texas, prosper Texas, and now Mansfield, Texas. Those are the five we have. Now we're going to continue to open more. We're going to focus on the DFW for now. Yeah, then eventually outside of the DFW, but only in Texas until we become the Cookie of Texas that we won't feel comfortable leave in Texas. We wanted to be like what a yeah, yeah, you know when you think Texas burgers, what do you say, what a burger?
Speaker 2: Yes, we want to do a cookie now, do y'all sew more than four cookies and a croissant, Like, how many do you we have?
Speaker 3: We sell ten cookie flavors at a time. We rotate monthly, six classics they stay all year, and then we have four that rotate monthly. We also sell brownies and other treats depending on the season. We're gonna take a short break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 5: Your wife has whoever does the social media for a Cookie Society does outstanding jobs.
Speaker 3: The music is your wife is nice.
Speaker 5: The way you guys mix everything in you guys, go check it out Cookie Society.
Speaker 1: She got she got a marketing degree too, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, she has a market She does a great job.
Speaker 5: I was on your Instagram page for like fifteen minutes the other day, just going through. I saw the browning the brownie cookies.
Speaker 3: So did it make you want a cookie?
Speaker 4: I totally wanted cookie, That's what I'm talking Immediately we.
Speaker 5: Got right up there, look at that that up I'm telling you so what we got.
Speaker 3: We got banana putting up top left, right, in the middle of chocolate chip to the right, we got snickerdoodle bottom left, salta Karma to the bottom left yet middle frosted o mill. Then we have a strawberry toast. You treat kind of like, we can't say that though for legal reasons, you know, you can say you can say it, I can't say it. That's why you said that.
Speaker 5: We already no, I was. I was really thrilled. I was hoping you were gonna bring something here for you.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to Uh, this is really cool.
Speaker 5: And so you guys are doing the cookie thing. Yeah, I've seen a couple of interviews. You and your wife do it, Marissa, the great job of promoting yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that, like that? Which one was that that's the banana pudding.
Speaker 5: That's banana putting one. Yeah, I don't really like banana putting, but it's fine. So you and your wife, you guys are constantly promoting it. You do a great job on social media, and so all of a sudden, you guys are going along. And what's it like when all of a sudden when Oprah's people reach out to your people.
Speaker 3: Because that's that's crazy.
Speaker 4: So for those that don't know, he was on open.
Speaker 3: Yes. So when we did our business plan, one of the things that one of our goals was to be from a from a I guess the accolade standpoint was to be on that list.
Speaker 4: Oh really, that was a goal.
Speaker 3: That was number one, like and number two was like, get Beyonce the cookies. My wife is Beyonce f But like when we got that, we thought it was a prank. We got an email from the not the publisher, the editor from Old Magazine, and the email was very short and brief.
Speaker 4: Like who had been there? How did you guys get secretly scotted? Do you know any of this?
Speaker 3: We still don't know to this day. We get the email, Hey, this is such and such from Old Magazine. Can you get us in touch with your PR. I'm great, I am the PR. So I created another email. PR so I created the email, reached back out. We checked it out because we thought it was faked first, end up finding the ladies LinkedIn and it was legit. From that point, I think it reached out in August. We sent cookies for months to so many different people before it ever touched Oprah in Gil's hands. We finally get to the end. They're like, Okay, can you do this, can you do that? Can you do this price point? Can you get special packaging for the holidays? And then we finally get to the end as Okay, y'all pretty much made it. We love everything, but now it's up to you know, Oprah herself, and she likes it send it to her, so we sent it to her. Which flavors did you guys send her? We sent her red velvet banana pudding, which is one of her favorites. Turtle, It's turtle, Turtle. It's like a like caramel pecans, chocolate chips, and like a brown butter cookie. And then we sent her like a hot cocoa cookie. They're all Holidays cookies, p com pie. I think we sent their soup potato pie. We did twelve different flavors for the box, which is crazy, like from a production standpoint, doing twelve different flavors, it's tough to execute, but we ended up doing it. And at the time, I think the most cookies we've ever sent in a month was like packages was probably like maybe four hundred. We were getting at an hour when that list released, like an hour, so we had to turn our website off. We had to turn off the Amazon store. Oh wow, Like we're getting calls from you know, their team like hey, like I got to turn that back on. We're like we have we had fifteen hundred square feet at the time where we're doing this all out of and we have people lined up line yeah, line yeah. So it was tough to keep up production. We ended up figuring it out. We were around o'clock twenty four to seven for basically two months, and then we tried to figure out how do we increase production, and then we got into manufacturing, so we manufacture our own product now and that's how we've been able to scale.
Speaker 2: Shout out the Oprah Man, that's dope, and your wife too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's a great feeling. It's one of those things that's surreal and for me me personally, I I mean, we do we did what you did, what you did for a living, you too. It was for us. We loved what we did, but we never saw or felt what others felt. Right, we just were doing our thing that we was doing our job. We loved it, but we didn't really feel that that proudness that they felt. Seeing this and seeing it grow and watching my wife build something it's been like one of the greatest things to witness for me. And being able to be a part of it and help her along the way. It has been even greater. So shout out to my wife. Find you a good woman and your your life will be good.
Speaker 4: And I've heard you talk.
Speaker 5: If she was naturally how she felt lost at times when she was just like she knew she was there to support you. Yeah, she wanted to do that, but it was also like, I mean, I am used to be in my own as well. And for you guys to now have this and she's the lead dog and you're being more of the support role, how's that been. Has it been healthy for you guys? How's it been firing those roles as well?
Speaker 3: No, it's definitely been healthy for us, I think. I mean, we both are athletes, so we obtained players. And one of the things that we always talk about is, you know, basically do your job. It sounds like New England, but do your job, but knowing your roles. Yeah, like we are very sure in what we do. Yeah, I know what I do, she knows what she does. We're going to defer to each other in our expert fields. If it's something that she's leading, I'm gonna say, hey, what do you think about this? Or vice versa, and at the end of the day, I'm gonna trust in her and she's gonna trust in me, and I think that's made our marriage better. Yeah, honestly, because I don't want to equate it to business. But when you have the structure and everything's in place and you can communicate, you're gonna be better partners, both in your relationship personally and also business.
Speaker 2: So the transition, you know, from the game to let's just say life, some people do well, some people don't. Yeah, you know, I went right into working. I tried to have something to take my mind off of football. Mister Harper over here, he didn't do nothing for a year. So everyone's different. Everyone's different. Right, Was having a business easier for you during that transition from leaving the game to going right into business or the less?
Speaker 3: I would say so, because I mean, even with having that, the transition is always gonna be tough. But having another challenge and keeping myself busy and being able to recreate myself in real time as opposed to being idle and sitting there and wondering what I'm gonna do or trying to figure it out. I just threw myself into the fire. Yeah, I made myself really uncomfortable. I wouldn't say this is something that I expected to do. But anything that I do, care what it is, I'm gonna give it my all. And it just so happened to be. I mean, it's been a huge passion of mine. I've always had this bug of being an entrepreneur. Everything you do as an athlete, you make it to the level we made it to, You're gonna have the characteristics to be able to be a good entrepreneur. You're going to be a good leader, even if you didn't have that seat on your chest. You're gonna know how to lead people, put teams together, You're gonna know how to you know, work through hard stuff. And then that's the entrepreneurship. I heard somebody say it's like jumping out a plane with no parachute and building another plane before you hit the ground and making people buy tickets to that plane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it sounds pretty uhretty scary for me.
Speaker 3: But that's definitely what entrepreneurship is. It's just a leap of faith believing. Obviously, you gotta have structure, you got to you gotta have some type of education and research to back it, but you're gonna learn a lot on the fly.
Speaker 2: So what's been as an entrepreneur or what's been the toughest obstacle with the cookie society?
Speaker 3: The toughest obstacle, I would say managing expectations. And any business that you're going to be in, it doesn't matter if it's a product or service, it's a people with business. You're dealing with a consumer or you're dealing with your team. Right, if you can't manage the expectations of both, you're not going to go anywhere.
Speaker 5: So what's something that you've had to midstream adjust? You know, you jumped out the plane, all right, you built the plane?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how'd you sell the tickets? How did I sell the tickets? I would say for us it was building a strong brand. And we say it all the time. We say we're a big business in a small building. We're knowing we're near being a big player in this, but we're going to present ourselves like that. But we're going to also operate like that. And that's the most important part, especially early on. You gotta and this is about managing expectations. Like I said, you got to set the standard. Those processes have to be in place, and that way you're in a place to scale. You don't want to get to the fifth floor and realize that the foundation isn't built correctly. Yeah, so we want to make sure we're doing the right things before we take off. And that's what we've been doing for the past two years. And now we're scaling. We've opened three stores in the last nine months and we're going to continue to grow stores. But we had to wait for the right time to do it.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, So what is Yeah, no, I was going to say, so what is next? Like, I know you guys want to stay building in Texas. You want to become being the cookie of Texas.
Speaker 3: It's a big state.
Speaker 4: That it's a big it's a big it's a big state.
Speaker 3: Well, it goes to open at least three to five more here in the DFW and different areas to reach different demos, and then we're gonna start looking at Houston. We're actually going to Houston next week to look Austin, San Antonio, all the big cities in Texas. You got to get to Austin.
Speaker 4: Then you end up in the stadium over there.
Speaker 3: DKR definitely. Definitely, we're in an American air Line Center. We got that this year. Yeah, Congress, and continue to get stadiums and things like that, and just diversify what we do with cookies, not just in the retail space, in the hotel space, all those different things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just got an entrepreneur idea.
Speaker 3: I talked to a guy.
Speaker 2: He's got a store in the airport, and I had a simple course and it's like, why is your product more expensive in an airport? And he said, because you need it. If you need two paste, I'm not going to sell it at the grocery store at the grocer store price. You need it, So supplying the man, I'm gonna jack up the price two three dollars.
Speaker 1: So are y'all in? Are you not in the airports right?
Speaker 3: We're working on that. We're working on that. We actually we're really close to getting that done.
Speaker 2: So come on, I'm over here you I'm inspired. I'm thinking, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know if that was an entrepreneur idea or if you just talked to an entrepreneur.
Speaker 3: Why are you ideas all the time?
Speaker 1: See what like this dude?
Speaker 3: He shoots me down all the time. Every time I have a good idea.
Speaker 1: It's like that, ain't what that is?
Speaker 3: You just stopped. If it was an idea, you heard.
Speaker 1: Terrible let me ask you.
Speaker 2: Get you some good friends that always encourage you. Man, don't don't do this, he shoots me.
Speaker 3: Listen, man, there's studies that say friends that give you a hard time love you more than any friends. So I think you're a good friend. You think now why you take? It? Just got bigger and greater.
Speaker 4: I mean, Jeff said, I've been great as long as I know. He know me, dog, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the worse all right?
Speaker 5: Well, Jeff, we always like to ask this about everybody, and Peanut usually does a better job of asking this question than me. But uh, Mount Rushmore, the greatest and brightest that we say is who they are? How about on your Mount Rushmore of influence on you to make you and help you become who you are?
Speaker 4: Right now? Who would those four people be?
Speaker 3: I would say my mom first and foremost, seeing everything that she was able to persevere in the heart that she had while going through it and now being a parent, like you don't appreciate your parents and tea you become one like you appreciate them, but you don't understand. You lack the perspective. Right now that I have kids, Now that I have kids and I'm raising my children, I have every resource in the world, and it's still hard. My mom was a single mom, worked two three jobs, and she showed up to every practice, every game. I didn't want for anything. I wasn't rich by any men, but I was rich in love like she showed up for me all the time, and knowing what I know now looking back at them, how does she do that? So she's an amazing woman. Then after that, I would say my uncle was the biggest football influence in my life. He was the one that you gave me that toughness. I think I hung my head on being tough and playing football. Like. I wasn't the most athletic guy. I wasn't the guy that was on the all look team. He used to always say, you got to b m W boy. Body made wrong. Yeah, but look, but look, I was gonna go out there and I was gonna prove otherwise. And I went out there and I did everything I was supposed to do. And he played a big part in instilling that mentality in me and believing in myself. I would say my wife, I would say before I met her, I just I was. I wasn't as focused as I am now being with her, Seeing how meticulous she is and how hard she works made me work even harder. And then I started the family and our children and all that and the legacy of that. That's that's beyond anything like, that's beyond me. That's bigger than me. So I appreciate her for that. And then let me see, I would say, I would say, man, there's so many people. I feel like I'm gonna leave so many people. That's the purpose. That's question. That's a very tough one. Man. I would say, I'm gonna go back to football, and I'm gonna say my high school coach Lonnie Williams, and I could say a bunch of other people, but he, he, he. He was the person that showed me that love that I needed in the time while I was getting that tough love for my uncle. Like one I always came over the bouce that reassured me during those times where I was like, man, like why is he so hard on me? And he would be the one to give me the reason why right, because my uncle wasn't gonna be the one to tell me like, no, like I'm telling you this because I'm treating you like this. Because he would come because he don't want you to make mistakes he made. Yeah, he sees something in you that you don't see him yourself. Or are you a lot better than he was at this age? You know, I'm just telling you. He wants you to rest of Miami. He's all American. Although you're not getting the same looks he's gotten, you're probably better than him right now. So that gave me a lot of confidence. So I appreciate him for that.
Speaker 2: So does uncle like the cookies? Does he give you a hard time about the cookies society?
Speaker 3: No, Man, I actually lost my uncle. I don't want to make a guy sad. I actually lost him before my first well before my first start in Houston. I lost him right before the first game. So yeah, so that was a tough loss for me. That was one of those things where you know, it happened fast. Pancreatic cancer stage four. Passed away within two weeks after get diagnosed, and I was happy he was able to see me make it and that he didn't suffer for too long. But it definitely was. It was rough for me and a lot of the things that people don't see, like when you play football, you deal with stuff like that. I went into that season cloudy for the first few weeks because that was a big loss for me. But I still had to pull myself together, be professional, go out there and perform. But I was dealing with that on the background.
Speaker 5: Jeff Man, before we get you about of here, first and foremost, thanks for that last story. And I want to it seems like you had things and points in your life almost very similar to my situation where sometimes you're not always just naturally this confident kid that just steps out here on the field and just dominates because I'm bigger and I got this mentality. But it was like little points in your life, little things happen for you, Yeah, that gave you the confidence is.
Speaker 4: Like no, actually I'm gonna be okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it seems like you've done this with this the cookie society. It wasn't always right, but something happened. It was like h Clark wanted to buy the cookies all of a sudden, Like these little confident moments in your life, could you maybe talk to some of our viewers and listeners that are that are sitting out there and like, you know, how to believe in yourself and when things give you that light or that glimmer of confidence what to do and how to handle it.
Speaker 3: I would I would say one of my biggest attributes and one of the things that I developed over time, is just a grid and toughness in the callus. And that's something that you just develop throughout life. But it's also something that you can lean yourself on. You you can hang your head on it. You and you get used to just doing hard things. It's not that becomes easier. Nothing becomes easier. You just get used to doing it. And there's no point in doing anything if it's not going to be hard like it's just no way around it. I know it sounds cliche, but there's no shortcut to success and you're going to fail right but fall forward. And that mistake is never a mistake. If it happens once, it's a lesson. You got to take it, learn from it, and propel yourself. And for me, I didn't go to business school, right, so for me, my master's degree in business has been in real time and making mistakes for the first time. And when I make those mistakes, they turn into lessons because I don't let it happen again. So believe in yourself, don't be afraid to fail and have this uncompromising belief in yourself because stuff's gonna happen that makes you want to quit, But anybody will tell you that's made in anywhere. To the top of a mountain. The kid of getting there is not quitting.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate you coming on the pot. I'm probably gonna eat the rest of these cookies. I'm gonna caugh on them. I'm calling on all these cookies. They're all mine, so you don't have to do that. I saw you brought two boxes, but I'm keeping this one from me and then y'all get sure to other ones.
Speaker 4: It's been a blessing man.
Speaker 5: Thank you, man, and appreciate you coming in man, young man from Chicago coming here, showing peanuts and love.
Speaker 2: He gave both of our flowers, like that's that's a first. We ain't never both got flowers.
Speaker 1: It's always one, but you're the first person to give both of us are flowers.
Speaker 3: I have to man. I appreciate you guys, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Appreciate them with the cookies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and for all of our viewers out there and listeners, man, make sure you give us a five star rating wherever you pick up your podcast at with his iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 4: You heard it exactly where that uh? And uh?
Speaker 3: What is it? Click?
Speaker 2: Give us a like, Share, subscribe, subscribe, follow, follow, check us out on our NFL.
Speaker 3: YouTube channel, Peanut We're at. I'm peanut.
Speaker 2: That's wrong, that's Jeff We out And this is the NFL Player's Second Act podcast