Speaker 1: To on the move, Glan Deep Speedlis past Hellas.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. He's got my advans in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: What is up, Dolph fans and welcome to the Drive Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield and on today's show is to a day around these parts as we welcome back the fans to the Baptist Health Training Complex for the first time in twenty twenty four. We'll break it all down with all the practice notes, also the press conferences of Tua Toungo bay Low a fresh off his new deal, and I gotta tell you Quarterback one just continues to evolve.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: We'll also hear from head coach Mike McDaniel and some great clips from Kendall Lamb the og himself from the Baptist Hill Studios inside the Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. Ye we are going to begin this episode audio heavy. In fact, we are going to cover all of the two oppress or details here, including his press conference and McDaniel talking about Quarterback one. As I'm sure you guys have seen already the contract details are out. I believe Pro Football Talk had it first. We've seen two as money was reduced from a salary this year down to one point five, which created nine and a half million dollars in cap space, meaning Miami now has quite a bit of cap flexibility after factoring in the Xavier Howard money as well as this reduction. And you can also use that too. Maybe go after your Tyreek Hill extension. Maybe it's time to talk to Jalen Phillips, Maybe it's time to talk to Javon Holland, which or maybe you go out and you get your right guard. Maybe you go out and you find a cornerback. Since Cam Smith left practice to day with what seems like a hamstring injury as he was grabbing at that thing exiting the field, so Dolphins have some flexibility. I'd be shocked if if we don't get some roster activity from now to opening day. I mean, you're obviously going to see lots of moves from now to opening day, but I would be pretty surprised if we don't see something happen with regards to the veteran market or our own guys being taken care of. They are not going to just sit back on their hands and wait and see what happens. That's kind of my assumption or prediction here heading into this thing. I want to go ahead and get to these press conferences here and kick it off with the opening statement from head coach Mike McDaniel as well as twa tongue of bailoa at their respective pressers, which were geared towards QB one.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you?
Speaker 2: This is the I mean, Tannyhill got that big extension back in what was it like twenty sixteen, I think it was, But that was back before you know, it just was different, a different time back then in terms of you know, he got like one hundred million for like five or six years, and that was a pretty big deal at the time. But things have changed and it's pretty safe to say that the Dolphins have their best quarterback since the guy that was throwing the ball around here in the eighties and the nineties. The first thing I want to mention here is just the evolution of Tua from a physical statue standpoint, from the way he smiles, from the way he conducts himself at a press conference, like when I heard him talk today it was the most I've heard him sound like a head coach. Does that make sense? Like somebody who could go up in front of the room and command the attention of the entire room. And I'm not saying he wasn't that prior. There's just like a I'm sure the contract has to have something to do with this, it has to. There's just a level of command over his entire being, like a more comfortability in his own skin, more comfort and how he approaches and addresses his teammates, more comfort and how he's perceived from leadership, from teammates, from everything in the organization. I just see a guy that we're going to be behind here for a long time and is going to lead us to a lot of wins and some championships down the road. Let's go ahead now, though, and play that opening statement from Tua Tongue Bailoa, who took to the podium with his two beautiful children and wife. And by the way, Ace is the man he reminds me of my little cam. Ace is a little bit older than Cam. But they will not be contained. They will run around whatever room they're in, and if you try to hold them, they're gonna let you know, they don't want to be held. So let's go ahead and start this thing off here with Tua, who took to the podium and gave us this following address.
Speaker 1: Man, you know, I want to thank uh my teammates, you know, the throughout this process, those guys have been very, very supportive of me and my family throughout that and you know, as as a player, you couldn't ask for more, especially from your your guys.
Speaker 4: So we're looking forward to this year.
Speaker 1: I'm super excited and ready for the first question.
Speaker 2: And then we heard from Mike McDaniel, who was asked a question but gave us the answer, which essentially was an opening address.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the head ball coach.
Speaker 4: The deal's done, and that was kind of you know, the hope.
Speaker 5: I'm fired up for the organization, really fired up for Tua and the and and the work he's done to to receive something like that. I think it's a a cool validation for sure. You know, I think what's been cool about the process is, you know, I think coach Belvill has done an outstanding job with Tua to connect to the fact that, hey, whatever is going on, you know, our focus is what we're going to do today and developing our game too, you know, make the ground, make the gains that we we expect in the off season from TUA. So the the the From my perspective, I'm happy, but I also expected it to get done. And now that it's done, it's about, uh, moving forward, because you know it. It's maybe a handshake and a smile, but it's not a celebration, you know, it's a it's a cool point for the organization to move forward.
Speaker 4: But moving forward, we are The.
Speaker 2: Next question for each roles into a two for one of sorts here about what's next? What is the You know, this is done, you kind of worked towards this, and of course this was the goal last year and in twenty twenty two as well. But what's next now that this part of this whole saga or you know, the journey, I guess I should say, is behind you. What comes next? Let's go ahead and play it back to back tu and McDaniel.
Speaker 1: Well, we haven't won the games that we wanted to win, you know, deep in into the playoffs. Get deep into the playoffs, you know, win the games that matter. That's what I would say.
Speaker 4: All of that is cool, but I could have I could.
Speaker 1: Have been the worst, had had the worst passer rating, I could have you know, through for a thousand yards. But if we were in in those games and we were winning those big time games and we got to go and win the championship, I mean I trade all of that.
Speaker 4: I trade all of that for them.
Speaker 5: You get a lot of reps at seeing how people respond to things. I think that is absolutely the nature that you should expect and and something that I know two is very very aware of.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think.
Speaker 5: That's one of the cool things about sports is you know, T can know that his teammates know that, and the.
Speaker 2: You know, they.
Speaker 5: Already have pressure and expectations for themselves. So you know, I think you know, just as long as you acknowledge that, which uh you know quite frankly too has shown me that throughout the entire offseason that he knows what time it is, and you fortunately, uh him and all of his teammates can go out and determine, you know, whatever the narrative is built upon by the way they play, so we focus on the way we play.
Speaker 2: I've actually kind of really liked the way McDaniel has sort of deflected the quarterback questions and made them more about his team, because like in the past, it was always you know, I think there was a real concerted effort to you know, prop up his quarterback and make his quarterback know that in every walk of where he speaks, he's got his quarterbacks back. But now like it's kind of geared more towards like, yoh, it's great, we have the quarterback here. We have high expectations for him, but it's a team game all and all that that goes into it.
Speaker 3: So I like that.
Speaker 2: Way of addressing things. Let's go ahead and move to something that I really wanted to focus on today, the personal side, because you know, we've all taken a liking to this guy, right like, he was a guy that we had our eyes on back in like twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen as he played out the string there at Alabama. But you know, the reflection of a lifetime achievment. I know that that's not how you know, both Tua and coach view this, because that's just their mindset with what's next, as you've already heard. But damn it, man, you did something special here, and I wanted to know how he felt about the journey going all the way back from those days on Eva Beach in Honolulu or sorry, Onna Wahu to now today as the franchise quarterback for your Miami Dolphins with unequivocal backing from the entire organization. Let's go ahead and hear to talk about as you saw in his documentary right the Rookie Season to a documentary that was on Fox in twenty twenty before the season began, he talked about those reps on the beach with Pops. I wanted to ask him, when you reflect back to those days to now just give us your thoughts.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm actually very grateful for the setup that my dad had given me. You know, there's been a number of times that you know, after school, I'd have to try to, you know, do my homework as fast as I can, because once my father was home, it wasn't about school, like your mind better be ready to go to go on practice, and when you practice, you had to practice a certain way. And if it wasn't to you know, his standard, then it you know, it was like okay, I know, I'm go have to do extra work. Or if I didn't have to do extra work, we were going to have a talk, that's for sure. So, you know, I just can remember after football games, you know, if I didn't have a good game, my dad would send me to a throwing camp, and I'd go straight from my football game to a throwing camp in my pads, and I wouldn't be with the kids the same age as me.
Speaker 4: I'd be with the kids older than me.
Speaker 1: So like I was, I was kind of nervous, like, okay, like I'm nervous to go with the older guys because if I throw and I don't throw it right, the older guys are going to say something. And my mind is like, hey, I want to fit in with these older guys. But then at the same time, I'm like, I don't know if I want to go through all that stress.
Speaker 4: Maybe I should just stick with the younger guys.
Speaker 1: And so one thing I didn't want my dad to do was my dad to come down and force me to go and throw with those guys or tell whatever coach it was there, like, no, my son's going to go throw with these older guys. And so I was just more afraid of the standard that was set for, you know, me by my dad. But it's it's helped me become who I am today with how I see the game, you know, and I'm I'm I'm grateful for for you know that that part that my dad has has.
Speaker 2: Helped me with to the previous point I made, I wanted to play this because I think it helps you into the mind of your quarterback, you know, not practicing and not being part of the competition fomo, dude, Like we all have fomo in certain areas, and when you hold a competitor out of their respective sport, I think that fomo kicks up tenfold.
Speaker 4: Oh that's stuff. That's stuff for me.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know how the other quarterbacks like around the league do it, but for for me, I'm I'm a rep guy, like I need to do it in order for me to to kind of see what I need to do better or see what feels right what doesn't feel right. And then the other thing the communication.
Speaker 4: In the huddle.
Speaker 1: Right, those guys are here and other guys in the huddle, that's not who they're going to be hearing. The cadence is just a little different with the way I say the cadence and the way the other guys say the cadence. So that was a little tough for me to kind of stay out, and so a lot of the decisions to being out there and whatnot, I made those knowing like whatever's going on outside, like this is the reps that I need, and that's why I was out there.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Love that's a leader that as a guy that needs to be there with his teammates, a guy that understands what he needs to be the best version of himself. I'm gonna do it. You guys are gonna like it. I'm gonna make another golf reference. I saw one of the ratings on Apple podcasts, and I like my golf game too much?
Speaker 3: Do I talk about golf a lot here?
Speaker 2: I feel like I make references to how it is a parallel to football in terms of like sport.
Speaker 3: But I don't feel like I talk about the golf game all that much.
Speaker 2: Maybe a little bit in July and June before football's even here, so you know, I digress a little bit. I talk about it on Twitter a lot, but is it too much?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like this what Tuwa talks about there is like every golfer has their own routine to how to get ready for a round. Like, maybe I want to spend more time putting versus chipping. Maybe I want to get more swings in on the rain. Maybe I only want fifteen swings just to get the feel. Everyone knows how to get themselves ready, and for Tua, he knows getting himself ready means repping it and seeing it, and that would explain on top of all the reps we heard him talk about with his.
Speaker 3: Pop back in the day.
Speaker 2: That would explain that rare vision we talked about with Mike White on the podcast last week.
Speaker 3: So it all tracks there. I have two more here.
Speaker 2: I'm going to save one because it's about on field work and it applies to today's practice and it's funny how that works out when you get a question in for the quarterback and then he goes out and does something that refers to that on the practice field. But this last one here resonated with me personally. I moved to this area to South Florida the same time that Tua did. We were both drafted, as it were, and I use a heavy emphasis on my air quotes that you cannot see. Pretty big difference in being hired as an employee compared to being drafted fifth overall in the NFL draft.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty. And I've grown to fall in love with South Florida. I mean, who wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine living anywhere else on the planet, quite frankly, and one of the biggest reasons, like, look, so something about me here. I grew up in a secluded, narrow minded part of Washington State. I always tell you, guys, Seattle, that's not really necessarily the case. I grew up on the east side of the Cascade Mountains which splits Washington State, you know, about one third down the west side of the state, and I'm on the right side of those mountains, and over there, it's small minded, not a lot of variety, not a lot of out the box thinking going on and coming here and exposing my children to all of that life has to offer here, to different perspectives and lenses and different struggles and stripes, and how not everything is, you know, one way for everybody. I just loved, loved, loved what Tua said right here about South Florida and how he's made his home.
Speaker 3: With his family.
Speaker 1: Well, I grew up in a similar state, if you will. Hawaii is also a melting pot of many different cultures, right. You have Asians, you have Polynesians, we have Hispanic, like we have we have it all down there in HOII and out here it's very similar. But there's more Hispanic people, right, people that speak Spanish, you know, Cubans, Colombians, you know. And it's also a melting pot in that way. But the weather, you know, does does justice, the food does justice, and I just don't think you'd want to be anywhere else taxes.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is press conference coverage. I do have some more sound from TUA and McDaniel and some fantastic stuff with Og himself Kendall Lamb. We'll get to all that next here, as well as practice notes.
Speaker 3: Heavy emphasis on that.
Speaker 2: That's next to Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by automation. We start right here in segment two with some news ahead of going back to practice reps from QB one, and it's good news. David Long returned off pup today. He actually took the roster place of No No. They signed a linebacker who took the roster place of Gavin Harts. I told you guys, it was a rough start to camp for Gavin Harris him, the team agreed, and so David long is back off pup.
Speaker 3: I thought he looked very smooth. He looked quick to the punch.
Speaker 2: And watching him and Jordan Brooks work on play action keys, get the depth in your zone, draw and your hook zone drop and then fire back downhill and come, you know, rally on you know short underneath crossers. Watching them practice together back in the spring and then today, it seems from afar like a relationship of two players who have been together for a long long time. Another cool thing I saw him doing. It was mostly red zone work today. When he wasn't in the lineup, he was standing on the end line behind the defense in the end zone, counting things out, you know, pointing things out, just being involved to get those mental reps every single rep that he could. That's the type of lock in that makes him David Long man, and that's why he plays so damn fast. And to further this point, McDaniel talked about this in his press conference and I probably should have pulled the audio, but I don't have it right now, so we're gonna keep rolling here. But he talked about Bradley Chubb and Jalen Phillips both being on schedule or rather, you know, free of timelines, basically saying they haven't had setbacks because they have done a great job of just pursuing the particular day. But what really stood out to me about his comments about two and fifteen as I saw a beechub hyping up the crowd, I saw the crowd lose their freaking minds when Jalen Phillips came running over to join his teammates after the sprints and like change of direction drills that he was doing where he looked fantastic by the way. The crowd lost their mind over those two guys and coach talked about their involvement and it's it's copy and paste to Jalen Ramsey last year. And then I look over and see David Long doing what David Long's doing. And then I look over at to a tongue of bai loa or I hear him talk about his at his press conference, about the yearning, the well for sorry for rhyming, the burning desire to be out there repping this stuff and getting better at football with his teammates. I was talking to Kyle about this today. How the hell are they going to pick captains this year. Narrow it down for me because on offense to and ty Rieker captains right. I think Austin Jackson has an argument for a captain. Tron Armstead as a captain last year. Alec Ingold is clearly a captain. I think Raheem Moster could be a captain. I think johnaus Smith could be a captain. On the defensive side. Who the hell are you gonna pick there? Zach Steeler could be one. Kalais Campbell's a Walter Payton Mann of the Year. Of course he's a captain if you know, if he gets in his first year. Jalen Ramsey's a captain. Javon Hollan was a captain last year. David Long is captain material, Jordan Brooks is captain material. In fact, I'm gonna have to ask coach this later on because i want to know, like, how what do you think the process is going to be the chair of picking captains? And how are you going to like pick seven or eight because you've got like fifty on this team. Just a quick aside there, Let's go back to the quarterback play because you know, speaking of playing fast, like David Long does QB one was at it again. Man, it wasn't the same day as Friday, which I still I love that Kyle said it too. I thought it was the best practice I've ever seen to to have not as many wow throws today because we are mostly in tight quarters down in the red zone. But I want to point out another element of his game that I think has grown from last year. You know, Friday, we talked about the velocity and different pitches that he features in his bag. Today we got a good look at some of the mobility, which I know you all and myself are going to absolutely clamor for this season with the reduction and weight and size and better overall mobility. So I just want to gloss over this first, Like you know, first, I mean the one on one throws. I don't think we even have to gas those at this point because he is pinpoint with it. We'll cover receivers and dbs and the one on ones later, but back to his mobility here real quick. The first play of Team Red Zone was a pick by Javon Holland thrown by a Tua, and given Jev's running back ability, I would expect it to be one hundred yard touchdown pick six to rolled off to his left, had a hand in his face and tried to throw it around that hand in his face, didn't get it around the guy. I didn't see the number. I think it was Jonathan Harris number ninety eight, but he deflected it and Javon Hall and collected it and went back the other way for a pick six. So like it's gonna happen sometimes. His next drop back was a thing of absolute beauty. He gets pressure off of his left side and up the middle, hits that backdrop of of his drop back and hitches up and immediately springs up off the spot and gets himself into a dead sprint. And this is where like I saw a fleet of foot to a moving like he left those rushers in his wake.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean he's not gonnaut run.
Speaker 2: You know, linebackers and corners for sure, But if you can just leave defensive linemen in their wake, like that's all we need. Brother, And Wattle's coming across the same time as him, like on a drag or like a delayed drag route across the formation at full speed, which you ever throw it to a twenty one mile hour target. Not easy and Tua throws it right on the upfield shoulder and tight quarters catch, turn up, touchdown. I was pretty impressed by that man. To throw that accurately on the move is not easy either. And then two periods later he got pressure into the exact same thing. Reset throws a checkdown to alec Ingold, turns a negative play into a gain. And those are the subtle things that we can do this season. The quarterback can do better where rather than it being you know, third and fourteen because of the four yard sack, now it's third and five, and I like our chances in third and five a whole hell of a lot. It's just another example of how you can sustain drives and be on the field for longer and rest your defense longer. And when you're on the field more, when you're not punting as much, you have more opportunities for explosive plays. Let's go back to Tua who talked about his mobility and how he thinks it will impact his game in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I think that'll do a lot, being more mobile, being able to run the ball a little more, being able to, you know, try to simulate that. I am trying to run the ball and then pull up and you know, able to to catch someone off guard in a way. I just think being more mobile, being lighter on your feet, all of that helps with with this game and you know everything in this game.
Speaker 4: So that's that's sort of the thought there.
Speaker 2: Gosh, man adding to the game, just picture a better to a picture him a little bit better at everything than what he was last year, and what that could do for this offense. I'm a little bit excited about it. And I think I have referenced this in the podcast a few times, but like, go back and watch those big games, man, there's this narrative about two in big games. Yeah, the Chiefs game was terrible, but I think almost everybody in that game on offense was pretty terrible because it was cold and it was tough to adjust to and the Chiefs played like crap on offense, right, Like they moved the ball into the field and the running game was working. You know, they had a healthy offensive line. We didn't have that. But Mahomes was not on point. Kelsey had some big like go back and watch that game, and go back and watch the other big games. Because Tua in the Baltimore game, the first half dealing, absolutely dealing in the Philly game for three quarters, absolutely dealing.
Speaker 3: Like, go back and watch these.
Speaker 2: Games, man, because I don't think people remember them the way they actually happened. And Kyle you know, has has done the content on the EPA per play against top ten defense is and where two of ranks like it's right there with the best quarterbacks in the games. So I just I think that narrative is it's I guess earned because of the result, But I don't think it's an accurate forecaster for what's to come because I think the details of that particular stat and the context tells you that it's not wasn't as bad as you think it is, and a couple of things getting cleaned up will make it like a positive and something you look at like, oh, that's very good. Two will also have the first two passes of practice. I think we're kind of like crowd pleasers deep shots to a Chan and waddle.
Speaker 3: Neither of them connected both on like these deep posts.
Speaker 2: And he had a Chan you know, in the early full field portion of practice, and I thought it was gonna be Yatti for a long touchdown, and I thought Devon could have played it a little bit better. But I'm also glad that he didn't because I would rather see these guys not contest fifty to fifty balls in training camp ever, because you're gonna land on the ground and you're gonna get hurt. Possibly, right, And Jalen Waddle on the first one did contest a high ball with Elijah Campbell right there. Who Campbell's had a great camp by the way. He broke off this, you know, and covered the top of this deep post route and he deflected the pass and caused the incompletion and Waddle hit the ground kind of hard. Didn't love it, and then he bounced back up. And then Devon h And I thought had a long touchdown. He was open, he was behind Javon Holland and he kind of just like didn't play this ball, and Javon was able to run it down and make a play on the football. So but like a post route from the two to the field, like he's kind of a wide receiver, guys, but the ball was right there, didn't contest it. Javon broke it up and had a great day himself. So those are two first two throws of practice for Tua. Then he had some touchdowns, just like we saw in the one on one period with the dots that he was just painting the corners on Tua brought them to mid and low red zone. He threw a dime to Brayln Sanders who made a nice toe tap catch over cater Cohu in the corner of the end zone who was in perfect position. But what do they say about a perfect pass? There's no defense for it, right. He also had another one of those same exact throws in the corner to Tanner Connor to end practice right in the bucket, and then to put a bow on all of that. He is processing super fast, like the third year. In the off you can see the stripe of the helmet go from like left flat to left hook to deep post, but to right hook to right flat. He's getting across the whole field progression. You can see the third year familiarity in the system, just totally feeling it and like almost throwing blind sometimes to that backside breed because he has processed the information knowing, oh the back is there for the checkdown.
Speaker 3: They don't have that cover right now.
Speaker 2: Let you go ahead and get this thing out and again help us stay on schedule and produce more positive plays and stay on the field for longer. Another very strong, strong day for him and a fun day to be honest with the quarterback. Let's go ahead and transition here to the defense and Jalen Ramsey, who was out freaking standing today. I think Ramsey, I've said it on the podcast, is like the Tyreek of the defense, and I just think he's the most unique defensive player in the NFL. And I want to start here because I asked coach about that great interaction that I referred to with Ramsey and Tua after the long Tyreek touchdown on Friday, A quick refresher to a play fakes it. Jalen takes the cheese seventy yard touchdown and Ramsey comes up to and they share a laugh about it, and Ramsey shows like the play action motion.
Speaker 3: Like kind of like yeah, you got me there.
Speaker 2: So I asked coach about it, and I asked about the importance of ball handling, which he didn't address that necessarily. I think the footwork was more of the answer he went for here. But just this whole thing is really high level stuff here from coach McDaniel.
Speaker 5: Oh, that was a very high level observation. You're you're you're very right on that and that you know, really, if I'm with you guys and I'm observing practice, those types of things would fire me up the most because what that means if you have, you know, the players on your team that have had that have the most footing in the league, the star players, when they are communicating about what they just saw and and being able to share how certain things affect uh, you know, how how to his footwork affects Jalen, how Jalen what he's seen for everyone, that's a win. That's also a tone setter for the entire team, you know, when when you're players of that caliber and and I and there those conversations about high level intricacies, about the the the quarterbacks drop and about you know, vision zoning players and all these things. That these are conversations that are coming up a lot because what I see are are players more invested than they've ever been. And and I've seen plenty of investment here, so, uh, the all the things play into trying to be elite at your job. Quarterback footwork for the back end if you're trying to get turnovers is pretty important. If you're trying to get pbu's it's pretty important, and those are things that are beyond their playbook responsibility that can only you can only get real gains in your game if you have twenty two players really going after it in a game like fashion, so you can get game line game like reps.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen somebody cover Jeleen Waddle like I saw Ramsey cover him today. I mean, Wattle is a guy who, let's say that Tyreek is just not here in general for the hypothetical, Like I asked Kyle today, you think it's crazy to say that WADA's gonna have fifteen hundred yards of years. That's kind of where I'm going towards. Kyle's like, no, not at all. He said that if Tyreek's not here, he goes. I would expect Tyreek to him or Watle to have Tyreek's production, you know, seventeen eighteen hundred yards. So that's how we feel, Kyle and myself feel about Jileen Waddle. But Ramsey kind of had him in hell for a couple of reps today. But it was a great battle back and forth, just like you would expect a bona fide star Number one receiver, which Jalen Wattle is. If someone tells you otherwise, just go tell him to talk to a wall for a little bit, or you know, gadget receiver.
Speaker 3: That guy remember that.
Speaker 2: But for my money, the best defensive back on the planet, I don't.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 2: You can give me your production, your picks, and a lot of stuff, Like show me a guy that's that size, of that physicality, with that mindset, that plays at that speed and it has the skills and the leverage recond like everything that Ramsey does. I wrote this down in my individual notes today. Ramsey is so sticky during these the way he leans on leverage and gives himself the opportunity to break in multiple directions. It's kind of like the definition of cornerback play right and how offensive line and pass rush prowess. The whole idea is to generate momentum and then go strong against that momentum to cause you know, in balance. Ramsey's the exact same way as a cornerback. And then he did the same thing on the first throw to Waddle in one on ones, where he squat and drove and broke up a pass on a speed out route right on the goal line from the five year. Waddle did get him back though on two plays with some shake and uncovered double move plays where he scored. So really fun, like high level competition between those two guys. And Ramsey did get him back later on and practice by staying on an in breaker a little slant route and firing out of his leverage and getting that offhand across the pass for the breakup. Really good stuff. I mentioned the one on ones here, just some quick winners and losers. I thought Waddle was a big winner like Ramsey was. You know, anytime those guys can share some wins that that's the best in the league. So if you can beat each other, you can beat you know who should I give an example of here, you know, like Khalil Shaker in Buffalo or DJ Reid in New York. Right right, Craig Craft was a big winner. He had some He's got some wiggle man. Ethan Bonner had a fantastic pass breakup on a thrown at brack.
Speaker 3: Some burials.
Speaker 2: I saw Zack Steeler totally undressed Leah miken Bergen in one on ones. Austin Jackson looked fantastic in one on ones. I thought Patrick Paul More on him soon he looks, he looks the part man. And then Aaron Brewer had a really good one on one session. The guys I thought had rough sessions Aszukama kind of got pinned a few times. Nick Needham got beat a lot on that session, and then Jakwan Burton had a couple of drops in the day and Leam Mikenberg was on the ground a couple of times in the one on one portions. So back to the defense or the full team notes here, Kendall Fuller, him and Ramsey like copy and pasted every day. He's been fantastic all camp long. I talked about Azukama. They're in the one on ones. He pinned him like out of bounds, took him out of the play completely in one on ones. And he also got waddle on a team rep and that's so tough to do because well waddle right and also being one on one is designed for the offense to win. But him and Ramsey just look man, just shaking my head. They look so good together. Javon Holland had a massive day. The big pass break up, the big pick six, he fit the run from depth well, got down off the perimeter just flew all over the grass on this Sunday. Jason might miitray, I think is how you say it? Had some good plays, including a TfL. I thought Storm Duck had some good reps as well, some udfas popping there a little bit.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: These linebackers, all four of them that were out there today, for the majority of it, we had a great split of run game wins offensively and defensively, and Jordan Brooks was a regular in the backfield, so was David Long, and so was Duke Riley. And Anthony Walker had one of the best plays that there. They ran that shovel pass against the Broncos, remember that one, the touchdown scoring him tuble pass and Anthony Walker, like read it, I disciplined, got off his block, made the stop.
Speaker 3: Really impressive stuff.
Speaker 2: But from all these guys, just so impressed with how the linebacker room is seeing it, fitting it and flying around the football field. How about off the edge with Grayson Murphy. Now this is maybe starting to sound like a little bit of an agenda for me because I talk about him every day and I tweeted about him a while back.
Speaker 3: But he pops man.
Speaker 2: He had an immediate pressure that I believe forced the failed handoff exchange between Mike White and Jalen Wright, and then he fell on the ball for a fumble recovery. He added a sack later on. He's just so good at squeezing the tackle to condense them in their passet up against the guard and then exploding around the corner and keeping that outside arm free and cornering around that edge. I feel like watching Cam Wake and Jason Taylor and all these guys on tape for so long that I know what cornering and flattening looks like in the National Football League, and he flashes that ability every single day. Tier Tart, I thought, had his most active day, including an immediate sack on Scotlar Thompson where he undressed Liam Mikenberg and then also on that play, Chop Robinson got the best of Chase and Hines rushing from a condensed position on the defensive line too, So that's good to see. Isaiah Mack had the best teach tape on the day where he ran to the football and secured a deflection for a pick.
Speaker 3: Big man running with the football.
Speaker 2: Number ninety seven was out there running in the open field, throwing stiff arms at guys, and after Jaquan Burton had a second drop of the day, the ball kind of got batted around in a crowd of defenders and it got batted back towards the line of scrimmage. And there's Isaiah mack sprinting to the football. And if you run to the football, good things can happen. I can't guarantee it because I'm not in there, but I would be shocked if that play is not shown in all meetings all week as an example of how to give maximum effort. I thought Jonathan Harris and Neville Alimore had their best days, stacking up some blocks and flash some of their versatility they've shown from few different spots in their career so far. And then Kalais Campbell is I mean, you've seen him play for sixteen years. It's the exact same thing. He has a sack on Austin Jackson. But he and Austin have been going back and forth all camp and been playing really fun competitive ball. Talk about iron sharpening iron, but Kalai has got him once today for a sack. Let's go ahead and bring this thing home with the rest of the offense. Some Kendall Lamb Audio extra points and Orange Jersey predictions. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by a donation. Did I mention yet the Jeff Wilson wore the Orange jersey on this Sunday. I'm over three. Let's try to get it right tomorrow. We'll do that at the end of the podcast.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the offense here with the offensive line though, because I continue to be so impressed.
Speaker 3: He might be the best offensive line. And I've seen all week. I mean, he's been in the notes of the most.
Speaker 2: Patrick paul I tweeted this, I see him line up versus Chop one on one. So I grabbed the binox and look over there, and here's Chop with that furious speed rush and Pat is just so patient. And maybe it's because he covers, you know, a mile like one of his kickslide steps takes some from Miami Gardens up to Jupiter, Florida. With that tremendous length and kickslide. He shut down the corner and gosh, it just looks effortless. Sometimes maybe not Jupiter. I'll find out if Seth listens to the podcast because I'll text me Endral.
Speaker 3: I know it's Durell. I know it's Derell.
Speaker 2: As Kendall Lamb told us, CHOP's first step quickness is giving some guys in camp already quite a bit of issues.
Speaker 6: CHOP's good, man. You can you can really and truly see CHOP's not the longest. I mean, he's more of a smaller, like impact compactful rusher. But at the same time, I can see why he had so much success at Penn State. I mean he gets into you hit coming off the line. The speed off the line is very, very good. For a lot of young rushers, you know, they have to really truly learn our range, just learn how we're gonna block them because a lot of tackles in college, they're going to have an h But I'm gonna show you three four to five sets every play you saw one set for I'm gonna switch it up. I might throw a left hand at you if I'm at left tackle, might go with the right hand, might hit you with independite hands. It just depends, so like to build that rollodex in his mind. You always see with young rushers, I mean it takes time for them to learn us as tackles in the NFL. But you can definitely see why Chopp is what he is because his get off is phenomenals.
Speaker 2: So I thought Chopp was really good again on this practice. It kind of seems to me like the only guy that's truly gotten the best of him so far has been the rookie. And Patrick Paul's work is really two full run game and pass game. On his very first team rep you know, Orange Jersey, hefe as we called him today. Widen this run to the perimeter and Cam Brown comes downfield and has the edge cut off, but Patrick Paul is widening his guy and his gap. But another defender, you know, Cam Brown, should say it scrapes over the top of that. So Jeff bangs it back into the B gap and Paul had cleared so much space that Wilson got to daylight and kind of big run. I see this guy getting surge in the running game and playing in passpro with the patience and controlled nature of his game of a five or ten year veteran. Let's go ahead and go back to og Kendall Lamb who told us why he thinks Patrick Paul is balling out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, big Pat's gonna be the real deal. I mean, big Pat. That's the mamoth of a man. I've played in Houston for my first four so I'm very familiar with you of h you know, seeing Pat come in here. One thing that you'll notice about Pat right away, intellectual and gifted and in our line of work, especially offensive line wise, how things change at the drop of a dime. You want to have that, you know. I try to tell Pat all the time. Try to slow it down the best you can. You know, get it, get to the line. See you're trying or read your keys, see what the stance is. Always remember in the back of your mind what they hit you with before. I mean, once we start playing the preseason games, start building your library on rushers, how they rush you. I mean, Pat's got some of the best links I've ever seen in my life. So it's like for him to have those type of arms in that type of body, it's going to be really really good for Pat when the time comes. Well, we've all been there as.
Speaker 4: A rookie year.
Speaker 6: It takes time for it to slow down in your mind. But I mean, I love Pat, that's my dog.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I have more offensive line notes, let's go ahead and do that in extra points. I want to touch on the backs because they were the other big feature today for me. Big runs from the Big three. Chris Brooks is in there as well. Heame's first run of the day was an explosive one like vintage Heame, weaving his way without slowing down. Just a big explosive run from the veteran back Chris Brooks. That touchdown run he had was also signature Chris Brooks six yards and he got there from point eight to point b just buried the head and ran it into the en zone for a touchdown. But Jalen Wright was the back of the day for me. I had him with three runs that were either explosives or touchdowns, and what I liked most about them, I saw him win with straight gas to the perimeter, just straight speed. I saw him hit a little jump cut where he just like it's like hem and a Chan. There's just no speed sacrifice to do that. And then I saw him see a sliver of a window and power his way through the end zone by getting skinny and hitting it. Impressive day for the rookie running back. Gosh, there's so many good parts of this football team some extra points. Marcus may cut down to John HU Smith end around for a loss from depth. I thought that was a pretty impressive recognition on a lot of traffic, had to sort his way through. Speaking of John oh he was at the point of attack on a handful of those big edge runs. I don't think many guys have had a better first four days than John O.
Speaker 3: Smith.
Speaker 2: I thought Aaron Brewer had his best practice so far, created a bunch of space and looked fantastic in one on ones. Continue to be impressed by Ryan Hayes. Hayes got some promotion today. I won't tell you any more about that, but I know he was working pretty high up on the depth chart. He and Chase and Hines had a big block on one of the long Jalen Right runs. Malik Washington continues to flash and he just he ran a lot of reps today. It got opened a lot, had some big catches, great hands, had some awesome one on one plays in the end zone as well. And then Tanner Connor had two scores, including one beautiful one hander where he might not have had a foot down, but it was so pretty. I'm giving it to him. He is moving quick out there. Ogba had another sack, continues to do that every day out here. Jody Fortson kind of touched down a low red zone on a fastball from Mike White. Great route, great throw, great catch. And speaking of Mike White, I thought I had some up and down once today, a little bit more down than up than usual for him. I thought Liam had a really tough practice. Lester Cotton, Jack Driscoll, and Keon Smith all I had getting beat a few times on the offensive line, so some more can be done there. But for the most part, pretty good looking football team through four days. My Orange jersey predictions are number one Jalen Ramsey, number two Grayson Murphy, number three Jalen Wright, and number four Patrick Paul. I'm supposed to have only three, but that's my I'm just gonna put him in the next. I think it was so good, very good day for the Rooks. We'll see how wrong I am tomorrow. But that's my time on this edition of the Draft Time podcast. You all please be sure to subscribe, rate, review the show on Apple Spotify, review your podcast from go ahead and follow me on social at winkled NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the Fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel for all those media availabilities, Dolphins Today, draft time content, and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, Finns Up, Carolina and Cameron.
Speaker 3: Daddy, He's coming home.