Speaker 1: Chief said a power pistol.
Speaker 2: Look here, they will shift to Kelsey.
Speaker 1: Kelsey's in a wildcat position and to.
Speaker 3: Give it off the Worthy on the right side.
Speaker 4: Worthy sneaks out of the hands out touchdown Kansas City on an RPO and from Travis Kelsey and Lauren nut shoulder and ducking under the defender and the Chiefs go up twenty.
Speaker 3: Two to thirteen. That was Mitch Holtis wda F. The Saints thought they were in the game for just a second and the Chief said, no, thank you. This is a one sided affair. Xavier Worthy rushes it in from just a few yards out on the way to a twenty six to thirteen victory. Welcome to NFL Daily, where we wouldn't do anything stupid like picking the New Orleans Saints in Arrowhead. I'm Greg Rosenthal. I'm in the Chris Westleyan pod studio and so excited to be joined by Bridget Condon for the first time, at least in person. You did a summer episode with us from Cincinnati, but here you are in the studio ready to talk some Chiefs and some Saints. Welcome Bridget.
Speaker 5: I know that you guys are probably wondering like how do they pick which reporters get to be in the studio The one and only Greg Rosenthal. Let me tell you, I have been begging this man next to me day in and day out.
Speaker 3: It's like a full time job.
Speaker 5: Probably I spend more time doing that job than my actual job, begging on my hands and knees to just allow me one minute of his time for his beautiful NFL Daily podcast that has been incredible since its inception, And now finally I get the chance to sit beside because I think nobody else could make it tonight.
Speaker 3: Now, no, that is not it. We were downstairs doing the coverage on Channel five. So if you're in the UK, maybe you watched this bridget does that every week. I'm popping in here and there, and yeah, we got to walk right upstairs. But I'm glad you brought up the elephant in the room right off the bat, which is yes, you have been You're very persistent, and you're hilarious, and you're you're a mask like me, and look, we got like our sets. I'm not gonna defend myself. We can get into that during the show. But I'm just glad that you're here.
Speaker 5: All I'm saying is, can you guys please give rave reviews so that I can come back. It's I'm averaging like one episode in this podcast studio a year, but honestly, I've got a lot to say tonight. So I think this is the beginning of the start of something beautiful.
Speaker 3: I I agree. I think it's it's the beginning of big time. Bridget condon Era on the NFL Daily. You don't want to just like use all your stars right off the bat.
Speaker 5: You want like Xavi, you're worthy, baby son, steady where I was going with that. You want to like sprinkle it in. Thank you Eric, our producer coming in on a Monday night. It does feel good to be in the studio on a Monday night. It's what the and the Saints deserve.
Speaker 3: And I'm glad we started with that highlight because that drive, that possession, to me was kind of this game in a nutshell. For a second, Bridget, we're doing this game. We stupidly picked the Saints, which is really ridiculous. OK, for yourself, I mean you picked the Saints as well. I feel ridiculous. We keep track of the records and just what a dumb pick even for them to cover was dumb, but they got it to within sixteen fourteen. After sixteen thirteen, they missed the extra point. Good point. That's why you're you're gonna be in this studio a lot. Colin Saunders had that insane interception that we will talk about a bit, and for a second you're like, wow, this game that the Saints really have been outplayed throughout. They're in the game and I'm gonna just go through like what happened. Immediately after that, they gave the ball the Kareem Hunt for four yards like every Kareem Hunt run felt like it was successful. Then they give it. Then they throw it to Jujuspis fifty yards wide over.
Speaker 5: He almost looked like he was going into the end zone that one Saints defender like came out of the screen. But for a second he wasn't on the camera shot. I thought he was going straight.
Speaker 3: To the end never a burner, but you know, probably not as fast as he used to be. Jujus smiths Uster, You're right, but it was just miles of green grass in front of him, and Juju's like just running open fifty yards like he has. Rod Mayo's turning off the TV. Oh my god, like Juju hasn't been this happy since he was like doing his tiktoks when he was on the Steelers and it was like the number one star in the league, or maybe when he was winning the Super Bowl as a really important role player for the Chiefs, and who knows, maybe he will be again. And so he ends up with seven catches for one hundred and thirty yards, like what okay.
Speaker 5: How was his first game of more than one hundred yards since Week seven of twenty twenty two and that was when he was with Kansas City. So he goes to New England, doesn't have a single game of one hundred yards, like, we're gonna cut you. You're not good enough for our team, heads back to Kansas City and now has a dominant game.
Speaker 3: That the Patriots are paying him a lot of money this year to not be on the Patriots because they have offsets in the contract where the Chief's paying whatever they're paying them, but all the remaining money that the guarantees that the Patriots had, which was like seven or eight million, they were like, you're so bad, we don't want you on our team tonight. And this is a shout out to Ben Solac of ESPN had the stat where, yeah, Schuster is one hundred and thirty yards tonight is actually more than any Patriots receiver has on the season combined.
Speaker 5: That just feels like the Patriots. I don't know what else to say. I'm sorry if you're a Patriots fan listening. Also an interesting stat I just saw from our research team that one hundred and thirty receiving yards the most by a Chiefs receiver since Tyreek Hill was treated.
Speaker 3: Wow. Kind of crazy, right.
Speaker 5: I don't think that coming into this season we would be thinking juju Smith Schuster, the number one wide receiver for the child. Of course they've dealt has multiple right, multiple injuries. He had two catches on the season before tonight. I don't think he he's gonna suddenly right but the fountain of youth. But he could be a role player for them.
Speaker 3: He can help and they are so good at scheming guys open. And that was sort of my takeaway from these sequences. It's just things were easy except in the red zone for the Chiefs. So after that, Jujus Smith Suster play hunt for another five yards. Like I said, every run is successful. He looks like he has a lot of Jews. There's a penalty on the play that gets them even closer. Penalties were a big problem for the Saints tonight, setting the Chiefs up in advantageous situations. And then finally the last play of the drive and it took just you know, a couple of minutes. Is that direct snap to Kelsey where he hands it off to Worthy And we're watching the game and we're just so used to this stuff with the Chiefs that it's like, oh, yeah, they snap it to Travis Kelce, the thirty five year old tight end who's that quarterback, and he hands it off to the twenty one year old guy who set the record at the Combine for the fastest forty and he runs in for the touchdown. It's just like, oh yeah, that's what Andy Reid does. But it's just that's the Chiefs in a nutshell, And I thought it was fitting and great for the Chiefs that on their best night of the season, which I think this was by a good margin, they immediately responded to what the Saints are doing and we're like, no, you're not gonna win this game. You're not really that competitive. You're not in our league. A good friend of mine calls it the fake good Saints.
Speaker 5: I won't say that, but it did look like a different These last three games have looked like a different Saints team than the first two games. Of course, they are dealing with so many injuries themselves. But you talk about this offense right coming into this game, it wasn't the Chiefs are four and oh, the Chiefs are gonna three peet, No, it was the Chiefs are four and oh, but they don't look good.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs are four and oh, but their offense hasn't clicked. Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 5: I think they were forty five percent in the red zone again tonight two two for six in the red zone, or coming into this game forty five percent on the season, and then tonight two for six. Patrick Mahomes and the offense have you know, in the main key offensive metrics some of the worst of the Patrick.
Speaker 3: Mahomes error era.
Speaker 5: But tonight he breaks that six game drought without three hundred or more passing yards. So it feels like this was maybe the game. Yes, you put all the pieces together. You made a good point on Channel five show about how it kind of felt like the old school Patriots where Bill Belichick gets his you know, sees what weapons he has and then figures it out and is like, Okay, this is what's going to work this season. This isn't And it felt like tonight Andy Reid and this Patrick Mahomes offense finally found a way to use all of the pieces that they do have. Keep in mind, so many are hurt, right. We got the news just before the game. Ian Rapaport first reported that Rashie Rice is not going to return this season.
Speaker 3: So that huge blow. Yeah, that is a big disappointment because there just was uncertainty. They were waiting for the swelling to go down, They had to see more, they had to do the surgery until they knew. And it's framed as good news that it's not going to be a torn acl it appears that, but either way, he still expected to miss six months not coming back. So you're gonna have to rely on Smith Schuster and Travis Kelcey. You look at the guys who are getting all the yards, Michael Hardman and Kareem Hunt, and yeah, spin the dial, but you can certainly dial it back to like the twenty twenty two season. I know Kareem Hunt was in Cleveland at that point. So we're mixing different chiefs Era Eras, Travis Kelcey with his nine for seventy and you know his his girl in the crowd with with her, you're talking.
Speaker 5: About Eras, Yeah, talking about Taylor. I love the way that you put that in for the gal. It's in my mind today because Bill Belichick. Did you talk about that yet?
Speaker 3: No, that was Monday. I don't know exactly what we can talk about about the Bill Belichick Instagram picture wearing Twitter tailor instaw it was. It was on his girlfriend's Instagram. You follow her, they're public, No, but someone you know copied it and put it out on Twitter, and well, don't think the older follow now. No, even that feels creepy. I mean, like forget dating her. But I'm glad they're happy, and I'm mostly glad that his Taylor Swift sweatshirt had was like chewed on or had the little rip thing not chewed.
Speaker 5: But you know the way you just look like the image in my mind, okay, it looks like it's it's chewed by like your I have I have a young son.
Speaker 3: They chew all their sweatshirts and the way Bill Belichick's sweatshirts. Look, that's what his sweatshirts always look like. But no, it's because he cuts them and I wanted to see the sleeves on it. But I'm very happy, and uh, you know, he's out there. He's out there getting work. Just today I saw to get off the game for like one second. I saw that he's on the Jim Gray podcast with a bunch of other coaching legends. He was on the Pat mcaffee show earlier today giving like kind of vanilla analysis. Sometimes I want a little more when when he's on the Manning Cast, at least he dives into like what the plays are. And then he was on the Manning Cast tonight and I got a text from my wife Emica, who said, for the first time ever, Walker turned off de Manning Cast and because it's so boring with Belichick that he ruins it. I think he ruins. He ruins all the fun was the quote, which is like probably how a lot of his players felt during his career.
Speaker 5: I think that if he would just pull back the sweatshirt, for lack of a better word, he could be really funny. But I think that he's still reserved a bit because who knows if he'll get back into coaching next year, and I don't think he wants to completely give in if he then has to go back and try to control the locker room and they're like poking fun at him for I don't know, doing a TikTok dance or something.
Speaker 3: I think you've nailed it. And to build on that point, I don't think he wants to say anything that can be used against him when he's a coach next year, like he said something negative about a certain player and then he goes against that player or he's coaching that player, but more likely he's going against it. I think you're absolutely right, because I think he does a great job when he's in storytelling Bill Belichick mode, and he gives old stories and behind the scenes stuff, and sometimes when he's a little caustic about you know, the league or you know the teams that didn't hire him, he could tell he had a little something about the Falcons. Okay, let's get back to this game, because you mentioned it. Mahomes throws for over three hundred yards, does not need to throw the ball deep in this game, And I just think it was kind of a masterclass and a dominant coaching performance. This is a Saints defense that, yeah, has a couple injuries, but not nearly the amount of injuries that they do on the offensive side of the ball. They've been building this defense for Dennis Allen forever. I picked the Saints in part because I thought their secondary would be able to cover this Chiefs team. And what do you see, Like it was just easy. It was just a lot of like five yard throws with ten yards of yak afterwards, and Andy Reid had it all over Dennis Allen. Dennis Allen doesn't want to give up big plays. Well, he gave up fifty to Smith Schuster. He gave up a room long pass interference to Xavier Worthy that was on paulsen Adebo. There could have been another one of those called earlier in the game. And so this is a defense that needs to carry this team. And they're good, but they're not good enough. Like they're not.
Speaker 5: But the offense wasn't helping at all. You throw the first drive of the game, you throw an interception that just took to me, totally offset the entire game because their defense. Then very next drive to the Chiefs gives up a touchdown that was the first time all season they've given up a touchdown in the opening drive, and it felt like they were playing catch up the entire time. And then we didn't even talk about it. You talk about the injuries to the offense. Derek Carr goes down at the end of the game, and you know who knows. I think that Dennis Allen just said in the press conference that it's a right side injury and he doesn't have updates.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just.
Speaker 5: It feels like bad news, fifteen guys on the injury report coming into this game turning into even worse news.
Speaker 3: We hope that he's okay, but.
Speaker 5: I don't know what's going on again, and like totally different team first two weeks of the season to the last three weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I looked back at the show that I did with my friends, uh from the Saints Block Party podcast. Who are going to be back on the show. I guess they're going to get back on before you get you get back on, but they're probably they're not in the studio. Well, I've already better than I've already scheduled them.
Speaker 5: I literally told you for weeks that I'm wide open, my schedule open, Greig.
Speaker 3: You call me, I respond, call me. Beat me baby. I you know they have you know we have like okay, Tuesdays this day, Wednesdays this day, but we have We're getting bridget more in the mix. But I just was saying this as a way to.
Speaker 5: Pass it because I'm the host on Channel five and you feel threatened.
Speaker 3: No, I love not hosting. I'm happy to like, but I mean, you feel threatened that I might become the host of NFL Daily. I mean, now you're now you're going too far. I'm just kidding everybody. I'm joking. We know, we know you're joking. It's it's the thing I love about you is your your mass. Like me, when I move moved out here, I just kept acting like I acted in college. People out here don't like it. And then in New York certainly, and I just kept getting this vibe that's like, hey, he's an , or just like he's not very nice. And then you start to realize, like, okay, I got you, gotta you gotta pull it back now, all right, I'll try not everyone like show's love by just brutally picking at like other people's weaknesses. But that's how I think that's how I do it, and I think it is fun. I'll try to be better. I think you do a great job. Greg. Thank you. I've now been here for what twelve eleven twelve years. I'm softer. I have kids, I'm softer. I'm like, look, I was mean enough for some reason that Derek Carr at one point block me on Twitter and then yes on the on the Around the NFL podcast, we got together with David Carr and they unblocked me. So I hope he doesn't block me off for anything we're about to say. I I just think it was a typical Derek Carr game. We'll get into the injury side of it in a second. I'm glad you brought that up. They said bleak officially, like the the the broadcast said that, So that was what the team said, and that.
Speaker 5: Makes the team said left side in ja left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that must be. It happened on his last throw of the night, which was probably his best throw the night, maybe the best throw the receiver should have either quarterback. Yeah, that was Mason Tipton, which kind of points out an issue from this Saints team. Mason Tipton is an undrafted player and they're forcing him and they don't really have a third receiver. Taysom Hill's not in this lineup, and so they're trying to play a little more three receiver. And he had a couple third down plays where he came up short. That was a play where Spagnola gets early pressure. The Saints offensive line was really banged up, did not play overall very well tonight, and so that was a problem for Derek Carr. He contributed to it somewhat too, and he throws a dime down the field and he gets hurt really bad. But I think that was a really typical car sequence because the very play before that, he backs away as if there's a ton of pressure in his face. There's a blitz coming. You remember this play, there's a blitz coming, Bridget and most of the night that blitz was getting through and Carr was just having to throw the ball against the pressure. But that time actually did they picked up the blitz. It held up really well. He had a nice clean pocket, but he just started backpedaling and throwing it as if someone was right in his face, and that throw was there. I think that throw was down to a lavee and it was just a bad throw, and that was kind of the experience of Derek Carr tonight and Derek Carr throughout his career. Like you see enough in each game that is really high level quarterbacking, and then you see enough that makes you think, I can't trust this guy on a week to week basis.
Speaker 5: I think that I don't want to like talk paud about Derek Carr because I think that he's a better quarterback than a lot of people think he is. I think the issue is his offensive line is so beat up right now, and especially the center position right like the cadence you get from working with your and to have two or three different centers since the beginning of the season, I think that adds to it. And that throw, Like you said, he thought the pressure was coming on him and he wasn't, But that to me says that he's just not comfortable with that offensive line right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the pressure rate was extremely high in this game. Up. I'm looking for a tweet I shared earlier from Catherine Terrell from ESPN just to summarize the left tackle. The rookie Fuaga is playing through an injury. There is a backup at left guard. One left guard, the other left guard shifted to center to start this game, Lucas Patrick. He got hurt at one point, actually after she even tweeted this, and was in and out of the game. A backup right guard who is replacing Caesar Ruiz, who is getting paid a lot, and then I'm at right tackle. Is everyone's favorite punching bag over the last couple of years, Trevor Penning, and so like, that's your offensive line.
Speaker 5: And also, okay, let's talk about Chris for a second. He had and did you see was it his brother the tweet? Did you see the tweet that no, his brother put out. I'll find it in a second. He had two receptions for ten yards. He was only targeted four times. That to me is a question mark. And for a while he had only been targeting targeted once. I think those next three, Yeah, Jay Cayner came in and threw at least one to him. He came into the game, I think banged up.
Speaker 3: There. There was a reporter that that saw I'm working on something. I don't think he's one hundred percent healthy, So I think he's out there gutting through it and isn't really Chris o'lovey, But that again points out how thin they are that wide receiver.
Speaker 5: And then without Taysom Hill too, right, like he's been missing since Week three.
Speaker 3: He came back in briefly helped a lot. Yeah, the on off splits for Taysom Hill are crazy that when he's been on the field, I think for eighteen drives they scored eleven touchdowns and when they've been you know, Taysom Hill's not on the off the field, it's really the running game that he impacts the most. He runs the ball great, but if you looked at what Kamara did tonight, you saw that first run that Kamara had, Like Kamara's running well, yeah, but he ended up eleven for twenty Yeah, how many yards did you get on that run?
Speaker 5: Because he only finished with twenty six and I yeah, like that first run was majority of those yards, right.
Speaker 3: He could have gone for like a negative four on that and he ends up getting positive yards. He had a nine yard run. But they just couldn't run the ball. And this Saints team isn't going to make sense if they can't run the ball. So all the Clinton Kubiak love that we were giving and yeah, I didn't finish my thought earlier but thinking back to when we had the Saints Twitter the block Party podcast on, it almost seems like it was like this moment in time, like if you were a Saints fan listening to that would be like a horror movie. Everyone was so happy. We were talking super Bowl, best offensive line in the league, and yes, they will be back with me. You're going to be back on this show too. It's not a competition. Bridget is very competitive. He's like when someone else is on, She's like, why why is he on it? Why is she on? My boss is going to listen to this and be like, hey, we need to talk. No, I'm kidding. I have enough sense that it's okay. You can bring others. She's like Weis have you seen have you seen his gray hair? Like, let like, let's let's put him out to pasture. I'm like, whoa, that's weird. You're getting ages about Steve Weis's Bridget that that's.
Speaker 5: See if I love you, I would never ever, ever dare say.
Speaker 3: Anything like that. Before we uh take a quick break. Let's just hit us a couple. Can I hit one thing that we haven't please? Kareem hunt?
Speaker 5: Like we talk about Andy Reid and what he does for this offense. We talk about Juju Schuster, we talk about Cream Hunt. Kareem Hunt had just one game with one hundred or more rushing yards in his five seasons with the Browns. He had one hundred and two tonight. That is kind of ridiculous, isn't that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: When I saw that stat, I was like, that is massive what Andy Reid is doing with these players who were backups, were cut from their teams, like didn't have a place in the NFL.
Speaker 3: I mean, Browns fans have to be watching this and wondering like where was this guy? Because towards the end of his Browns career he just looked like a guy who had run really hard for a really long time and was banged up. And again it's just.
Speaker 5: One game, but I mean, to be able to get that much out of these players, that says a lot about a Patrick Mahomes. That says a lot about Andy Reid and Travis Kelcey. We haven't really talked about him. He had a career high nine receptions. Still hasn't even found he's high, yes, season high. Yeah, sorry, he still hasn't even found the end zone this season.
Speaker 3: No, but seventy yards. They did show him leaving the field. I don't know if anyone else saw that, And maybe he just got that by week Yeah, girls there, his girlfriend's there. Maybe just wanted to get off the field quickly. But while everyone is like hugging in everything, he's already in the walk to the locker room and looking every bit like a guy who you know, just participated in forty different car crashes, which is what playing football is. Let's actually listen to the Travis Kelcey moment of the night. It was a reception, but he didn't end the play with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 1: In twenty two, at the forty four yard line of the Saints leitting ten to seven again, a four man rush quick pass, Kelsey at the forty, coming all the way.
Speaker 3: Across the field, flips it off. He goes to pay Ryn. He's at the twenty five. He's close to our first down.
Speaker 4: Kelsey came right the left all the way across the field and almost was tackled, and then he shovels.
Speaker 1: It underneath the Sama JP run on an old hooking ladder.
Speaker 3: I mean it's not a hooking ladder in a way, because I don't think it could have possibly been planned. By the time you listen to this, the news will be out of date, whether whether they say it or not.
Speaker 5: Andy Reid was asked about this postgame, and he said that they practiced Travis Kelcey's pitches in practice, but I don't think it was drawn up in the huddle now. It's something they just practiced. So he looked at Smaji and is like, you know what's coming on right now? And as you mentioned again on the show earlier, like if you're a player.
Speaker 3: On this team, you gotta be ready.
Speaker 5: Even if you're thinking you're running down the field, you gotta be ready to cash that ball if he's looking at you.
Speaker 3: That was awesome, And yes, so I guess I think they've practiced that almost as part of the offense. This is something that could happen with Kelsey gets the ball, but it's not part of that specific play. And I know that because p Ryan for a second gets in the motion like he is going to run to block for Kelsey, and then he kind of looks up, he sees Kelsey and he realizes that's not the move. There. Yeah, they had another play, another trick play that did not work out. Earlier Alantae Taylor was all over. I love Alonte Taylor. There are some positives here for the Saints, like Marshall Lattimore and Alonta Taylor are playing really well, and he got Carson Steele to fumble on another play. They are not going to give Carson Steel the ball much more because he has been a part of a lot of negative plays. I do want to say before we move on from the recap that Mahomes's ability to scramble is somehow getting better. As on his footwork.
Speaker 5: Maybe he's going to some of the practices for Swift's dance team, because the way that he is stepping, I don't know what He's just trying to get his ten thousand steps on his Apple watch or what some.
Speaker 3: Of those Some of that footwork was impressive. Okay, So there was the play in the inside the ten yard line where he just spun around where he yeah, he pivoted with off his left foot because he saw a defender then there and just completely spun and then throw to a pretty open receiver in the end zone. At this point, I was just thinking, like, is he just doing this stuff because he wants to feel a little alive? You know, like he's just like a little board, like I'm here week five, like I've done this all before, I got to do more stuff. That's what it felt like to me. Then there's another play where the Saints have an absolutely crazy defensive formation where they have nine or eight guys lined up on the line of scrimmage, all standing up, and a bunch of them drop out, like just total Dennis Allen's in the lab like cooking up this great stuff and it works. They confuse Mahomes. He's like, what's going on here? He freezes and then he's like, oh, I guess I'll just outrun every He went to the corner for seven yards, get the first down and completely ruin your play. And then that sets up what was one of the better scrambles of Mahomes' career. Let's listen to that.
Speaker 1: Perron is in it running back. Nelson's had a very productive night. He comes in chipped out motion. Now Mahomes he's got time moving around, shifting the feet, and now he's in trouble and he's gonna.
Speaker 3: Tell about everybody talks by it. I've got there. He's stretching out the football on the near side.
Speaker 1: Shades of the Houston game in the AFC Championship of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: I mean that is okay. People are getting annoyed. I think of just like Mahomes and Chiefs. People are getting tired of it. It's like how they were with the Patriots. Right, yes to Mahomes. As long as he's doing that and giving us these fun plays, I'm with it. What I don't like is the boring Chiefs, which is what they were for good chunks of last year and for much of the first month. Offensively, this was a much better performance. They finished with twenty eight first downs four hundred and sixty yards. That is an old Chiefs score line five and zero. And they head into their by just feeling great about life. They have the forty nine ers after the bye, and they bullied the Saints. They were stronger than them up front on both sides of the ball. The Saints want to be bullies, but they got bullied. Before we move on though, I keep saying that, but I'm just having so much fun. Like Eric told me the time in my ear of how long we've gone, It's been a while already.
Speaker 5: Really, and it's just like I feel like it's been five minutes. We're just never getting out of this chair.
Speaker 3: We're we're having a good time, and that's a credit to you. Maybe maybe we got to be in here every Monday night. Now, Nick shook his feeling that he's saying, like, what's happening here? I wanted to just give some love to Colin sand Saunders. This guy. They're okay, where do we even begin.
Speaker 5: Let's begin on the broadcast how they were talking about him, and they were saying that his brother leave. His name is Cameron was there. His brother is a backup dancer for Taylor Swift. Okay, and so they were asking his brother, who are you rooting for? Are you rooting for your brother who is a player on the Saints team, or are you rooting for your boss Taylor Swift whose boyfriend plays for the Chiefs. As they're telling this story, he gets an interception. The big boy takes it thirty six yards. One of my favorite plays the night.
Speaker 3: It was outstanding and it was a play worthy of our best announcer in the game, Kevin Harlan. Take it away.
Speaker 2: Here we go shucking down in gold, the homes and the gun, the two in New Orleans. P Ryan in motion there's a shotgun, snap the big cord off the cook forth the goal whil it's deflected and it's intercepted on the play by Saunders. He runs the big Man the ten. Here's Sode line twenty. I'm the nether side line thirty. Got a blocking from behind. The former chief is taken down the Saints big man got it on the rokachhet at the goal line on a pass intended for Smith Schuster.
Speaker 3: A thick pick pick. Forget the thick six. It's the thick pick. One of the moments of the year. Throw the next gen stats on this. I just saw this screen thick six. I love that phrase.
Speaker 5: He reached the top speed of fifteen point seven nine miles per hour. That is the third fastest speed by a ballcarrier who weighs over three hundred.
Speaker 3: And twenty pounds.
Speaker 5: I don't win twenty pounds, and I don't think I could get up to fifteen.
Speaker 3: No, you definitely can't. I don't think. I mean I couldn't either, right, I get I would have It's incredible. I would have to do the math. But this is was he a running back in high school? He was It was nearby in Missouri, they mentioned, and yeah, that essentially gave the Saints second life, gave us some entertainment on what was otherwise starting to feel just like a slow death march of this like a one sided game, and that they were play is a play I'm gonna remember all sees it and sometimes that's what these games are about. We learned something. We'll find out if Derek Carr is healthy enough to play next week, which is really important. We'll get more reporting on that. The Chiefs look better than ever. But ultimately from this game like that just gave us a shot of joy in the studio. That in one of the best interceptions, and you just never know when that play is gonna happen. Thank you to collins On.
Speaker 5: We got the shovel pass, we got the fixed six. What more could you need for a Monday night?
Speaker 3: We could need a little bit of news, So we're gonna take a quick break. We're gonna hit some news very quickly, and if you're a fan of these Monday night shows, you know we wrap up with our players of the.
Speaker 5: Week and then we're gonna drive home fun. This is like your nighttime drive on the NFL Daily. Thanks for listening, Stick around, as we return with your news, remember to call into the hotline one eight hundred NFL Daily. We'll give you our advice after the.
Speaker 3: Break back on NFL Daily and uh yeah, Bridge's coming back. I mean I have no choice in the matter that people are gonna demand it. I demand it.
Speaker 5: You know what we could do for a segment coming off of that music, can we do like advice with Bridget calling one eight hundred NFL Daily And and like you you write to us you need advice on your team or like how you should handle a situation your girlfriend is like not letting you watch the London games because she wants you to stay in bed something and we'll handle it on the advice segment.
Speaker 3: I love that. So that's giving you what you called it, miss Delilah vibes. I don't even remember, no, not Miss Delilah, just Delilah.
Speaker 5: Like I remember this is a very only Boston people will remember this. Like going to the Cape on the weekend, driving back Sunday night, it's late and like Delilah is on the radio and she's like, you know, like she would play jewel and like you know, slow love songs and you could call into Delilah what.
Speaker 3: Do you want to Yeah, I was thinking more. I thought you were referring to more like of a Miss Cleo vibe. That music, though, reminds me more of a seventies or sixties game show, a seventies like match game that is coming back from break. You don't even know what match game is. But I was once like a production no, a production assistant on the program Most Outrageous Game Show Moments three I Believe and four, hosted by Chuck Woolvery, where I just watched game shows all day long. That's now you're the host. That's what everyone says that that's a cool job to just watch old like password episodes all day long. But after like a week or so, after like a couple months of it, it gets pretty old, you kind of go a little crazy. All right, let's do some news, Eric, all right, So I mentioned the Rashi Rice news from Ian Rappaport. He will I'll not be back this season, and we're looking to find out I did at Sometimes, you know, if you're connected with rapport, I'm like, what's up with Pachecko? I never heard any backup on pachecko Ian's like I had reported it six to eight weeks and I said yes, but Andy Reid said after that that they're not sure if he's going to come back this season. So if you see an Ian Rappaport report in the next day or two about Pachecko, give me the credit that I was like, go go find that out, like fantasy owners, That's why I'm asking. Yeah, they want to know. But the Rashi Rice news uh is big for the Chiefs injury wise this week, Nico Collins, we found out from the Texans coach Tomko Ryans is going to be weak to week with a hamstring injury. He suffered that injury while scoring a touchdown.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he leads the league with five hundred and sixty seven receiving yards. You know, coach did say he's in good spirits, but that's a blow, and it felt like he and c. J. Stroud were finally getting their you know, stride together, working together, going to give more time, I guess to Stefan Diggs, tankdal Dell, and Dalton Schultz. But without him on the field Sunday after he got hurt, they were limited to just nine points and those came from three field goals. So it'll be interesting to see how this offense adjusts if he's not out there on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a big issue for them because I think they've been too reliant on CJ. Stroud and Nico Collins just making magic. I kind of don't think their system is working incredibly well because I look at c J. Stroud and I'll save it. I'll save it for future shows. This is not the CG. Strat Show. But I think he and Nico Collins were playing as well as any quarterback wide receiver combination in the league, and yet the total numbers of the team aren't amazing, So that's a concern for them. I am can curious what you think about what's going on in New England. Now we got I'm glad we're talking about it. It's in the name of the show. It's NFL Daily, so I have a Unfortunately, like this show, this dudes will get updated. I think we're gonna hear from Drake May. I think he is going to be the quarterback, but as we're taping this, we don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, they won't to announce it until quarterbacks don't talk till Wednesday, so it won't be outdated tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Might might be might not be outdated soon. You never know if a report comes out. But just the way drowd Mayo sounded not fully backing to Kobe Brissett. Usually when you do that on a Monday, a change half coming, do you want you want it to happen? That's more okay. So here's my question.
Speaker 5: My question is what's different now than the beginning of the season, Because we knew this was going to happen, right, Like, yes, they found a way to win Week one against the Bengals and everyone kind of thought, oh my god, there's hope for this team. Maybe they're better than we thought. This offensive line has been a struggle throughout the entire training camp. They were switching guys in and out. They just didn't have I mean, even going back to last season, this offensive line, the lack of weapons, the lack of receivers, the lack of tight ends. Like we knew that this Patriots team was going to be an issue. So and yes, Jacoby Brissett made some throws we talked about earlier that could have been better. But what is the point. This is what I don't get And maybe you can answer me. And I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. I just am trying to understand what is the point of putting Drake May in there now?
Speaker 3: I think because you want to see what he can do, You want to see how the offense is.
Speaker 5: So okay, I understand what you're saying. So you you put him in there, he gets destroyed. Now you have the fan base calling for him, saying.
Speaker 3: Get this guy out of there, who had drown Mayo. No, no, no, calling for may now.
Speaker 5: As they did with Bailey Zappi and Mac Brown a little different.
Speaker 3: Did I just say Mac Brown, I would like to see him play quarterback. He could have maybe played quarterback better than Mac Jones did last year. I think the difference is their coaches and they they didn't think it was going to be this bad. They thought they could I disagree. I think they were hopeful that it would go by this.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, maybe better than this. And yes, you lose to a Dolphins team without their quarterback to a TONGUEO vii loa. You should have won that game, one hundred percent. Should have won that game. Poor clock management row at the end of the game. I get that, But what is going to happen if Drake may goes in there get socked four or five times a game, the Patriots or whatever.
Speaker 3: It's football like. So I think you asked the right question at the beginning. What's different now between now and week one? I think that's a totally fair question. They were hopeful it would be better. They've actually what's different it is actually the offensive line is even worse. Now they've lost two to three left back. You're going to put it in in their center, so that that's a point against it. They thought, we sign Jakobe Brissett, we want to see how he can do. I actually think they find value in the five weeks that Drake May has just had to see see. I just greek to weak process and everything like that. But I don't think they wanted to play him. But here's the difference. I think the locker room would want to play him because they see him in practice every day and they're like, this dude is better. And everyone acts with quarterbacks like, oh my gosh, what if he gets destroyed? And I.
Speaker 5: Understand it's the NFL, and you need to like you're gonna get destroyed and you're gonna injury.
Speaker 3: Is gonna happen in practice? It can even happen. They're throwing out centers that just that just joined the team ten days ago to go out there and make the calls? Like what about? I under saying that I'm more just this is what happens. If you didn't put.
Speaker 5: Mac Jones out there as early as you did and you got a you got an offensive line, you got weapons, would people have been calling like Boston is such a different sports market.
Speaker 3: You know than even Lay. But they're dumb and you can.
Speaker 5: But I understand, But I think that I wonder how much of this is outside noise for drawd Mayo. How much is he seeing Caleb Williams, how much is he seeing Jayden Daniels And how much is he thinking Drake making going to the Patriots system and do the same thing Chicago And.
Speaker 3: Who did I say?
Speaker 5: Jayden Daniels and Washington are two very different places than New England right now. They have two very different types of players on their own.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, No one is arguing that Drake may is set up for success. He is. I Like I said, a lot of quarterbacks play in really brutal situation.
Speaker 5: So you think Drake ma can go out there and this Patriots team can contend for the AFC East, of course not.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't even think he's gonna play that well. I mean in the circuit, why to kill the kids confidence. That's where I do disagree. I think, if you're gonna be a great NFL player, you'll you'll withstand it. Like, he's not gonna play worse than Jared Goff played as a rookie. He's not gonna play worse than Eli Manning played as a rookie. He's not gonna play worse than Alex Smith played as a rookie. And the thing, what about Trevor Lawrence. He's not gonna I don't think he's gonna play worse than Trevor Awrence played as a rookie. But if he did, all of those quarterbacks came back and had the careers that they were gonna have. Anyways, it's fine. Drake May is so much more talented than Jacoby Brissett. Now, I have very little faith that this offensive staff is gonna have any solutions, any cohesion. They really look like a coaching staff of leftovers, which it is harsh, but it's kind of what they were. They were all these guys on the other staffs that the other teams didn't want to hire, like McAdoo is still kicking around like Alex van Pelt. He's the one guy in that Stefanski and McVeigh and Shanahan coaching tree. That's like, no one was giving him those jobs. No one was giving these opportunities. And it's not going well. And maybe Drake Macon save them all. He probably can't, but he is the most important person in the franchise and he's the best quarterback on the team. Let's just see him play some football, like, let's get some yards. And if it goes poorly, Like, what's that it's going poorly, it's not gonna go any worse. Well, what's gonna happen? They go from like thirtieth to thirty First, I'll stop talking. People are gonna say, who cares about the people? You can't worry about the boss.
Speaker 5: I'm not worrying about the media. Yeah, but I think a young player that has to deal with media is I don't know. Let's let's just see it happen and then we can talk in ten weeks and figure out who who was right?
Speaker 3: Okay, we will like if he if he really struggled for the most part and only showed little signs of him. Well. I think he wasn't. He came along a little slowly. I think he came on better at the end where people thought he was playing better. I think there is frustration from the wide receivers to on this team that, like Jacoby's just not throwing them the ball. I don't think it's Jacoby Brissette's fault, but why not you took this kid third overall? Quickly, We're going to go through a bunch of injuries. I'm just gonna roll through these, uh, and then we'll get onto our players of the week. Dax Hill is believed to have a torn acl actually, that was confirmed by his coach, Zach Zach Taylor. He's the cornerback of the Bengals. Really disappointing for him. He was having a good season for them at cornerback. David and Joku hurt himself again. It's a new injury. It's a knee injury. He's getting an MRI on that. That's disappointing. A couple offensive linemen who were playing well or out for the season. The Cardinals their guard Will Hernandez, the Panthers their center Austin Corbett. Not like flashy teams, but actually those have been two of the better offensive lines in the league. So that's big news for those teams. Those are the strength of those teams. Taylor Moten, the Panthers right tackle, is also going to be out this week. And then the Cowboys pass rusher Marshawn Nelan has a torn meniscus is probably going to be out a month. Brutal another player at that position for Dallas. That is really scary. Before we move on to our final segment, I did just want to mention Hurricane Milton, which is bearing down on Tampa. The Buccaneers, just to kind of connect it with football, are evacuating Tampa. Like a lot of the city, there's a mandatory evacuations in a lot of Tampa. The Buccaneers are going to New Orleans actually early in this week. They play the Saints on Sunday, and so they will be staying in New Orleans, a place very familiar with scary hurricanes. And this is the reports on this are just I don't know, it.
Speaker 5: Comes after if they just dealt with a hurricane Hurracleen just a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: I mean this is brutal.
Speaker 5: You never want to see any city go through this, especially a city that just dealt with this a couple of weeks ago. Sarah Walsh, our very own reporter, dealt with some scary, scary stuff a couple of weeks ago, and is getting ready to evacuate once again. And you know, our thoughts and prayers go out to everybody in the Tampa area. I know, like coming from a news background, I had to cover a lot of hurricanes, and I know how scary really it is, especially because you don't know, and you know, you don't know if it's going to be as bad as they say they are.
Speaker 3: You don't know whether you should stay and risk it.
Speaker 5: And you know, of course the word is to evacuate if you're in an evacuation area, because this looks bad, it looks scary. You know, this is a football podcast, and we hope that if you're in those areas, just know that we're here whatever we can do to help, and hopefully listening to us fight about football can get your mind out away from it. But that doesn't dismiss how severe and serious of an issue is.
Speaker 3: That it's happening. Yeah, it seems like a bad one that kind of snuck up in terms of the severity and the strength of the hurricane and how much it's grown in the last few days. And so yeah, our thoughts are with everyone in the Gulf Coast region. We're gonna wrap up the show here. As we do, I give you a little bit of homework, Bridget Did you do it? Yeah? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Greg?
Speaker 3: You never? I wouldn't miss that mess up this opportunity. Some people say they did the homework and then they freestyle, and that's fine as long as you're good at freestyling. It's our Captain Morgan Players of the Week time for Captain's Corner. What if we have the same resent. I haven't even talked about this by Captain Morgan. I guess it's possible. I will let you go first, then, ladies first, our first time guest, longtime listener. No, you've probably never listened to this show. You want it? You're honking about wanting to come on?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: I will say something.
Speaker 5: Before I got this job at the NFL, it was twenty twenty one, right after the Super Bowl, right when Chris passed, and I used to listen to this podcast and I remember I was on a walk in Washington, d C. Twenty twenty one right after the Super Bowl, and it was the episode where you guys were all like talking about how much Chris meant to you and stuff, and that is the like one episode that's stuck in my mind, and I remember I was like, if I ever work at the NFL, like I got to meet those guys. They sound like they have such a great connection because you know sometimes when you listen to a podcast and it's like these two people are talking and nobody's listening, like like they're not listening to each other, they're not collaborating together, They're just people want to hear themselves talk. When I used to listen to Around the NFL, it felt like you were just at the table with your friends talking football. And yeah, no, I think it's one of my favorite shows to listen to. NFL Daily has been incredible. You've done an awesome job. I know, hosting is okay, okay, forte, okay, fine, host It isn't my forte. I mean, like, it's not what you usually do.
Speaker 3: It's not what I usually do. But it's been a lot of fun. Now I appreciate everything you said about right on that note, you're my player of the week. No, I appreciate everything. Yeah that you said there, they're yeah, I think of because that was the Tampa super Bowl. That was the you know, one of the most brutal weekends of our lives obviously, but one thing it did, if you, if you want to find a positive about it, is no podcasts seem hard. After that, there were some I wouldn't say no podcasts seem hard. There were some really tough ones this summer. I mean having or having it around the NFL and the way that it ended and and starting this that was brutal, but honestly, like even that week I actually was thinking about like having a podcast after Chris died and everything, like nothing will ever compare to that in a way that in a positive way. And he would remind you me of this all the time, like we're just talking football here, like you know, like we love football. We're talking football, like even though it's our livelihood and there are stresses around us and it's our careers and everything we just talked about with like when this show is starting, like that's all extremely stre life situations, Like nothing will be like that. So I appreciate your kind words. Yeah, so never say I don't listen. And Captain Morgan is like, what are you guys talking about? We want a lighthearted segment about players of the week, so give it to me, all right.
Speaker 5: My player of the week is mister Coles Cash himself.
Speaker 3: Okay, Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 5: I love him and I love his story, and I just love that people continuously count him out, especially Kirk in primetime. And look what he did Thursday night in the primetime game over the Bucks to take the lead for the NFC South. He had a career high five hundred and nine passing yards, four passing touchdowns, and interception, and led that game winning touchdown. He tied his career high with four passing touchdowns. He just he was everything that the Falcons wanted him to be that night, and he did it on primetime where everybody could see.
Speaker 3: Kirk Cousins is still alive and well, and he is my player of the week. I love that choice and it sets up one of the most fascinated I stories of let's just say the next month of the season, because the way they won that game is that replicaal can you keep doing it that way? Where he's just slinging it in the pocket, barely moving at all and just dropping dimes. It was impressive, It was awesome. It was a great choice. I'm going similar in the sense I'm picking a quarterback who's not always everyone's favorite player. I'm gonna go with Daniel Jones just because we were talking about this guy you making a face.
Speaker 5: I cover Daniel Jones at Duke, you know, and nice guy. He seems like real, nice guy, like I would. We were watching the video, you see that type of guy. Everyone says, nice guy. No, we were watching the video earlier of Sefon Diggs and the Vikings and everyone asking like, who would you not want to date your sister and they all said, Sapan Digs, I would.
Speaker 3: I would let my sister date.
Speaker 5: Daniel Yes, nice guy, nice guy, great quarterback, that's another question.
Speaker 3: Nice guy though, No, but a good quarterback when he's protected. And the reason why I wanted to throw him out here is more of like how this season is going. I mean, he goes into Seattle. Did he block you or something? You're trying to get him done? Block you? No. I've always said that if he's protected, he can just be like a league average quarterback. I don't mean a positive, like he's not a huge positive. They shouldn't have given him that contract. But if you protect him, he's not like people this year coming to the year is like he's the worst quarterback in the league. He's number thirty two going into the league year after Week one, I was one of the people saying, like, is this game in Washington going to be his last start ever for the Giants. That was the conversation because he was that bad in Week one. If you look at his numbers over the last month since Week two total EPA, he's like fifth or sixth in the league. I mean, he's not that good of a player. He's had some good opponents. But my point is they went into Seattle. They dominated that game. I watched that game on Monday, and they the Seahawks were lucky to even be in that game. If you protect him, he was mostly short stuff, accurate, and the thing that gave him my Captain Morgan Captain of the Week was him trucking defenders like he wanted that business, like he saw out I don't know if this is the smartest thing for his health long term, but he saw Seahawks in his way, whether it was going for a first out or not, and he ran over them like he is playing with an edge that tells me like, hey, I've got this job. I am keeping this job. And he's playing pretty well right now. So that was our Captain's Corner, presented by Captain Morgan. It's delicious and crisp, perfect for game day with friends. Spice it up. Visit Captain Morgan dot com to find a captain near you. Please drink responsibly. You're my captain. Oh thank you. Bridget what a time here in the Chris Westleyan podcast. Dude pretty crazy. It's named after him for all of our new listeners, Like it's good, it's good to bring Sometimes I just bring him up with no context and assume people know who I'm talking about. And so I'm glad you gave some context there. And uh, this was a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: A lot of fun. Monday is always fun when you're in town. I am heading to Thursday night football in Seattle.
Speaker 3: I mean I'm always in town. I live here. Well, I see you in the news room like all day and you ignore me. No, we we have great conversations. I'm not what you're missing thing about Greg. I'll DM him and he'll respond to me three days later. I'm not like a DM. Yeah, text me? Do you want me to respond? Text me? I'm an old You found out how old I was today and you were like, I was shook. You were a gay. I want to know where you get your botox. I wish I look so much older than I did a few years ago. I looked so much older than I did like four hours ago. When this game started. We got to get out, We got to drive home. Thank you to Bridge of Condon. Thank you to Eric Roberts behind the glass. Let's go, Dodgers. Need to win. Your boys. Hey, when the Chiefs are looking like a dominant team again, you know football is back.