Speaker 1: On today's episode of News, we're talking X Men, We're talking holl Age, We're talking Black Panther, We're talking about Sean Lovey, question Mark, It's Duds.
Speaker 2: Hello, my name is straight to you and I'm Rosey Night and.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to ext Revision Podcast, where you guys beep. It's your favorite shows, movies, collect to pop culture. Coming you from my heart. We're working news. Three episodes of weeks It's news.
Speaker 2: We made it another week. Well done, guys. In today's previously on episode, we are catching up on the biggest.
Speaker 3: Deep news off the week, including.
Speaker 2: We weren't able to record it on our last news episode because we were got to record the day before.
Speaker 3: The panel happened.
Speaker 2: But we are talking about those new Marvel costings, Black Panther, ghostwriter, what's going on?
Speaker 3: What does it mean for the MCU? Was that enough to save the MCU?
Speaker 2: Plus we also gotta we gotta let you know, guys, it might be a record breaking week for Spider Man. We're gonna find out. We know a lot of you have been going to see it could even break Endgames record if it really overperforms. I don't know if it's going to get that far, but I do think it's probably going to beat the last Spider Man movie, No Way Home and.
Speaker 3: A low production note, next week's schedule will be a little different.
Speaker 2: Monday we will have our instant reactions to Sunday's House of the Dragon episode. Wednesday will be our deep dive into Spider Man brand New Day with a roundtable reaction for spoilers, and then on Thursday, we will cover the penultimate episode of X Men ninety seven season two.
Speaker 1: News Rosies. Marvel made its triumphit return to San Diego Comic Con Hall h They did Where the Where The Where the Champions Live. It was their first Hall Ah since twenty twenty four, so it's not like they were away for a significant period of time.
Speaker 2: But still eva like that was more of a little Wolverine deppool moment. This is more of the classic big It's.
Speaker 1: Notable in the sense that it certainly seemed when Marvel and Disney launched E twenty three that that was going to be the place where all of their significant announcements were going to be launched. So it's clear that Marvel is looking to launch things with the widest possible footprint, and boy did they They returned to Hall H. The Hollywood Reporter called it Marvel's most crowded comic con panel. Ever, I don't believe that that could possibly be true me neither.
Speaker 2: It definitely not because the whole h. I the kind of on the ground when I was talking to people in the lines and whole h, they were not as busy as usual. There is a conversation though, that has been being pushed by the organizers of San Diego and I'm sure Petco Park that hallll H was so busy this year that they might have to move it to Petco where it's going to be thirty thousand people, And obviously you would never be able to stop a leak. Every trailer would get like recorded, there's drones. It makes no sense. So I think that's part of the push. But it was. It was hugely popular. This was the panel Marvel could not give us press. They told us they had a lower allotment.
Speaker 3: We know why that was now.
Speaker 2: It's because there was about fifty cast members in there that they needed to give the usual press a lotment to. So, yeah, it was an interesting one. It was definitely very busy. Did it do enough? Jason?
Speaker 3: When you were reading. Did you feel like you were getting those big hitting moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they did enough. Obviously, there's a lot of a lot of Hollywood pizazz involved. Apparently they handed out thousands, potentially seven thousand masks and capes to the attends at Hall h They started the presentation with a sizzle reel that included Toby maguire, Spider Man, Patrick Sewart's professor X so clear that they're setting up for big things, and then this tied directly into the new footage which has since leaked of. Was it a Doomsday trailer or was it like a sizzle reel of stuff from Doomsday? It was unclear. I think that's the question, kind of like an extended trailer of Doomsday stuff.
Speaker 2: I think they were trying to kind of get people excited for the Avengers Endgame Encore, which they're releasing September twenty fifth, which is this re release of the film, and they're claiming it's going to have seven minutes of new footage that ties directly into Doomsday and you have to see it, and the Russo Brothers said, you gotta watch it or you're not gonna know what's going on. I think that is very silly. I don't believe it, yes, but yes, I believe this is a reel. Was kind of trying to get people like, hey, you need to see well back in that era.
Speaker 3: Look, I got to tell you guys, go on IGN.
Speaker 2: There is an article that I wrote where I was in Pennsylvania and I had to drive out to a random AMC at like nine am to watch the last end game re release they did that allegedly was going to have this new footage, and it was kind of this like dedication to stan Lee. It was more of a fan thing, but I mean there was a time when things like this were newsworthy. I had to write that up put that on the website so we could get it up straight away. Like so there will be reporting on this. You will be able to find out what the seven minutes are. And if you go and see that, it will be the first film screen in Infinity Vision, So we'll be able to get to get an idea of what that is. But that was really just the tease for the big news, right. Jason so Feigi.
Speaker 1: Said that this return of Avengers in Game Encore to the theaters is about quote reminding us all what it was like to be in a theater cheering along, which I think is a little bit. We've been to the movie since.
Speaker 2: Babe, it's not kevi he that was like it's been like don bust ted years We've been seeing in all movies. It said.
Speaker 1: You know who loves this is the exhibitors, the the theatre partners. Cinemak CEO Sean Gamble said, quote, we commend Disney for taking an important first step in regal cine world. CEO Eduardo Acunya said, It's been a long time coming, and we love that Disney is taking the lead. They would love this, I think. And from there we started announcing some very interesting product projects, starting to create twenty twenty eight ghost Rider starring Ryan Gosling, with Sean Levy directed. Now I'll say this, Sean Levy, I guess when you make a billion dollar movie in Deadpool and Wolverine like nothing, what do you what do you expect?
Speaker 2: They're not going to tell you?
Speaker 1: You know, I just not. I'm weary of Sean. That's all I will say.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say that. Look, I'll put it this way. This is my generous take, which is I love Rang Gosling. I do think he's a star. I think he's pretty amazing. I think that together, like you know, like Sean Levy has done fun stuff, right. But I think the problem with Ghostwrider that we've had is, like the Nick Cage ones were really silly and fun, and whether we like them as camp classics, it's not necessarily a great representation of the character. I fear that Sean Levy does not have the tone or does not lean into the tone that I would like to see, especially if you're casting a Gosling who's done Drive, who's done Place between the Pines. This is actually quite an interesting bit of meta casting. But will Sean Levy lean into that? Is it just gonna be comedy? Is it gonna be Johnny Blaze? Would it be Danny ket I know, I feel like I thought it could be catch because like he's blonde, it's different. But I think they'll go classic, especially because it's Levy, It's probably gonna lean very heavily into nostalgia and kind of I would say Ryan Gosling's like star Power, kind of inspired by you know, Evil Canievil sort of vibe, but it's not it's not giving me a lot of love but Aaron did just point out that Sean Levy was actually a producer on the back Rooms. So maybe he's getting more into weird shit. Maybe he's getting more into weird ship.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hope that ghostwriter has some sort of story. Unlike the back Rooms.
Speaker 3: It was read by an it year old Jason, give him a break.
Speaker 2: Give air. By break, I mean, they put.
Speaker 1: It on the big screen, and what are gonna do, Like, there's no story, very you know, wonderful. The vibes were eerie, and it was a wonderful vibe movie.
Speaker 2: It was very vibe, but we don't.
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, that wow incredible. Sean so Gossling apparently approached Marvel.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a Ryan Gosling has been after for a long time. It's kind of like Keanu Reeves and Wolverine. It's an onga and combo. He loves this character. He wants to do it.
Speaker 1: So that is very interesting. Let's just quickly truk Sean Levy movies. Okay, let's start with Big Fat Liar two thousand and two, starring Frankie Munez and Paul Giomonni. Does anybody remember that that's not whatever, not a great movie, Just Married is a Ashton Kutcher and Britney Murphy or I P Vehicle a young newly woid couple who takes uh, who takes her honeymoon in Europe? Cheaper bind the Dozen. This one was pretty good. This is of course a remake.
Speaker 2: Make classic, but as you can see, these are very like comedy family movies.
Speaker 1: The Pink Panther.
Speaker 2: It was not a hit.
Speaker 1: Now it's another remake starring Steve Martin. Night at the Museum. This is a pretty good movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm a Knight of the Museum fan.
Speaker 1: Should just film Ben Stiller Night at the Museum two. Battle of the Smithsonian. I like this one less m m but the your the gang returns Ben Stiller, at Amy, Adam Zoe and Wilson, Hankazaria and Hydrinks still in the multi dimensional Museum. Date Night, Uh. This starred Steve Carell and Tina fay On. Like the worst date ever. Also Taraji p Henson. I didn't love this one. Real steel fucking terrible, Oh awful?
Speaker 2: Should have been great? Was This is what I mean? Though? Can I just say something, Yell, we've been bragging a lot on Anna Nagera, the writer of the Supergar movie, which was not great, and she worked at the Flash. This is the problem with Hollywood. You can make a lot of mid movies if you're just a random white guy like you can make a lot of movies just like oh my God. But if you're a woman and you make a bad movie, they put in you a movie jail.
Speaker 1: This is a conversation about the quality of the movie in our opinion, not the box office. I'm convinced these movies, particularly The Night of the Museum movies made a lot of money. I don't know, but I thought that movie sucked. Vince Vaughan and Owen Wilson. I did not see that one.
Speaker 2: Google.
Speaker 3: It's not great that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is where I leave you. Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Adam Driver, Rose Burn. This was kind of like an attempt at an adult dramedy vibe. Yeah. Night at the Museum, Secret of tomb I also didn't love this one, but whatever, free guy. I thought this one was fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I started the cinema. It's like, it's like, yes, the cinema able, you know, yes, Uh.
Speaker 1: The Adam Project.
Speaker 3: It wasn't for me.
Speaker 1: That's want him to bring was not for me Deadpool and Wolverine a billion dollars.
Speaker 2: That's why I got this movie, baby, and then.
Speaker 1: Of course Star Wars Starfighter to come and now to come.
Speaker 3: Now I will say the fact. I will say, if we're trying to be a.
Speaker 2: Little bit hopeful, I do think. I think the fact that Disney is making Starfighter with Levy and Gosling and that chemistry is so good and they're enjoying well they're doing that, that they trust them together is interesting. But also do we trust their taste fully at this time? Like do they know what the audience want? We also don't know that. But I mean, Gosling's a charm bomb and they need something like that at the MCU. Now they need someone they can pull out who's going to charm people say me, me shit, like here's just in a cute costume, Like he'll do all of that.
Speaker 1: Here's a take. I don't trust a handsome director. And I'm not saying Sean Levy is handsome, but it sounds like he looks like he looks like he should be like hosting The Price is Right or something. Look, I do one of those new fangled like uh game shows where like it's a comedytion. The voice, Yeah, the voice and like a password sham this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're right.
Speaker 3: I like my director to.
Speaker 2: Be a grubby little goblin come on. But the more exciting because look, I'm going to be real. I do think the Gosling thing is cool. But I will say I do think both of the big casting reveals were rumored for so long that I don't think it is really the big thing we were expecting, which was X Men, though I do think now that is a timing issue and we'll probably see that. More on that coming. But the big, big reveal that I think did deliver because it is just great casting, even if it was a rumored casting, was that Black Panther three news Jason.
Speaker 1: Black Panther three slated for December fifteenth, twenty twenty eight, no title yet announced, but the new Black Panther was revealed and it is David Johnson of Industry Alien, Romulus and The Long Walk Fame. He will play too Shan to Challa's son who is introduced at the end of Wakanda Forever. And I love the casting.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Some I've seen some sniping about it that this guy doesn't have the star power shut the fuck up, shut the fuck off Guyso he is so talented and good.
Speaker 2: He's so amazing. Chadwick is so amazing. Let's be real about the stop Like Chadwick became a star. He was already a star, but he was a global stop host. Black Panther David. I saw a great tweet where it's basically like that he has the same kind eyes as Chadwick, and it's fucking true, like they look like they could It looks like it could be his son. David has such an unbelievable range, Like if you've seen him in The Long Walk, which is just this incredibly bleak kind of slog of a movie, and he is the beating heart at the center of it. Alien Romulus, a movie that even people who didn't really like were like, that's the best character that we've gotten of that type. I'm not gonna spoil it because you know, go watch the movie. It's actually pretty fun. Also, I want to shout out and me and Jason have already talked about this movie before, but he is a fantastic rom com lead in the delightful Ry Lane, which you can watch on Hulu.
Speaker 3: He has the range. She's fantastic.
Speaker 2: He literally looks like he is Chadwick and La Peter's child. It's incredible casting. He's humble as hell. You can tell that Ryan loves him. Also, I was very impressed FIGI has been on a humility press tour recently, which I think was needed, But he has been very open about the fact that even before he officially started looking for people, Ryan basically showed turned up to him and was like, hey, I found the guy. He was like, I saw him in a thing, and I found the guy, and I am meeting him in a hotel and if he's the guy, he's the guy. And five he was like, Okay, it's your choice, and that's fucking right, that's what we want to hear. And I think it's going to be really interesting to see where he lands and how they kind of showcase him living in the shadow of his dad, and obviously, like the second movie, that will be a real meta textual movie because it's also about David living in the shadowick shadow of Chadwick. So yeah, I thought this was immensely good casting. A lot of people were really rooting for Damson address, so I'd seen a little bit of controversy about that, But I thought this was delightful and I'm very happy about it.
Speaker 1: I'm very happy too. He is one of the most talented young actors out there. Just super super excited to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Next up, the Avengers Doomsday Megapanel came on.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: The official log line of the movie beloved heroes from three distinct universes will be set on a deadly collision course and face an existential threat unlike anything they've ever encountered. Even though I have been saying the pole so the staging was. It was a pretty incredible visual. Pedro Pascal for sevans Haileiatwell, Robert Denny Junior came out.
Speaker 2: They had them so through the crowd like that, twenty of them and they were like high fiving people. It was a real magical moment for the people in Hoole Ah. I think it had that juice that people like.
Speaker 1: Spect Then, like a Mutrushka Russian nesting doll, Marvel revealed a little bit of showboating pizazz by popping open a hidden second stage at the back of the Fallah from which the Thunderbolts cast in two thousand era X Men actors emerged and to your point, walk the entire length.
Speaker 2: The hall, and like am Baku, they kind of mixed it was basically like who you're going to see? They wanted to confumb there's going to be like twenty five people you know in this movie at least.
Speaker 1: And then we got the unique footage that has never been dropped yet. This is from a different trailer, I guess. Opens with Doom on a golden throne, Sue's storm saying Victor was always the smartest guy in every room. I knew he was lost, but didn't realize he was broken. She says everything he loved was taken from him. We see it destroyed cityscape and here read Richards, you know, saying Victor, did you do this? Doom again complaining about everything being stolen from him, and then we hear Thor saying I swear you for her what I through with you, and Doom stopping Thor's acts with like one ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah we and that finger. See we saw the that's been a huge talking point, the storm Breaker being stopped with two fingers. We yeah, that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: And then sent Tos are raised out of the ground and begin to fight our heroes. The cast as you know already is huge. We don't know much about the story, and it seems like everything they released thus far is just like fight fight, Fight, Fight, Fight. Will be eager to know what the story.
Speaker 2: Is, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Rosie. How are you feeling about the vibes for Doomsday? I will say that dipping my toe into like the fan discourse, I would say it's trending hotter, but still kind of like in the lukewarm agree, I would say, so people are looking people are looking at this like, Okay, you've got to prove it to me, but this is kind of it's excited for this, and then of course the you know, the regular kind of movie critics are just like, here we go again. Yeah, it's played out.
Speaker 2: I am slightly. I'm just a little bit nervous, but only ironically because Spider Man is like, was really good and did a lot of stuff that kind of counteracts, in my opinion, the critiques that those people usually have. And you can read on my my substack. I mean no, you can read on my ghost my ghost newsletter. I wrote a spoiler fore review that was basically like talking about how I thought the balance was so good and part of that is these kind of almost smaller stakes. I do fear that what was great about Spider Man will not necessarily transition to Doomsday, and I fear that it may be a little wrinkle I just think about this is no spoilers, but the credits begin with these gorgeous shots of New York, these gorgeous b roll shots of New York, and you just feel like, yes, I'm there, I'm in New York. This is a real place where real characters live and I love them. And everything I see from Doomsday is, oh, that's Patrick Stewart, Oh that's you know, Like I worry that the grounding will not be there, but also look, do I want to see, for you know, beating up Doctor Doom? Yes I do. So will I be there, Yes I will. I just I just fear that so far the focus is not on the things that I think are most exciting about the MCU. But I agree with you, this has gone in the fan space from oh this is going to suck to wait a minute, maybe there's something here, like maybe we will get a bit of that endgame juice, like maybe this will set something up, and if it's going the route we think, I think it will end up streamlining everything so that by Secret Wars we are in a situation where there's one universe which will include all our characters, and that I think is a necessary step for where they've found themselves in the MCU alas not the celebratory call version that we would hope for, but I think that could take us back to that Spider Man place. I just I feel a little bit iffy about it, but it was so great to see everyone get so excited. And you know, I'm loving the discourse about Robert Downey Junior's Dracula accent.
Speaker 3: I think it's very far, but.
Speaker 2: People are not loving it, so you know, it's just like I'm waiting. I guess I'm waiting till December. I'm waiting till we get to see it, and I'm waiting to see if it gives me those feelings of like, you know, Cat picking up that hammer in an endgame. We've talked about a million times, but that was a magical moment. Can you repeat it? Is it a double beat? Are you going to be able to bring something new? Are we going to get some of the characters we haven't seen, Like, there's so much we don't know, but I'm guessing that post San Diego and post D twenty three, it's going to be like a rush of information about there were stay and the future.
Speaker 1: There was some bit work during the the Avengers Doomsday event, including Rye Leuds appearing in the crowd in his gray and black dead which he is now calling your costume. He's now he's describing it as a gen gray colored because it's denim, so you know, he's a very sassy man. There was kind of a very canned like heckling from Paul Rudd and some laughlines that I didn't quite land, but that's okay. So all of which is to say, I will that the black and gray suit is yet another data point that D twenty three is going to be big on X Men. There's so many science pointing towards X Men, including let's just say, theories about whom Sadie Sinc. Could possibly be in the current Spider Man Brand New Day movie. The understanding that you know there's going to be a lot of X Men in Avengers Doomsday, and so it's very interesting. I wonder if we're going to see any X Force.
Speaker 2: I think we're going to get a big x Men announcement at d twenty three. That is my feeling, san Diego. I think a lot of us wanted that. I think timing Lise might not have worked for them, But I think you're right. They're teasing it with those little moments. No Disney plus show news, which is not surprising. We will talk about why later and yeah, I mean, Jason, I think that really our biggest hint that more X Men news is coming is that crazy drop that Aaron found this morning, just literally before we started recording. Thank God.
Speaker 1: Yes, well let's talk about that then, shall we? Shall we jump right into it. The Deadline announces today that Samorrow Weaving has landed the role of Emma Frost upcoming X Men film.
Speaker 2: Hi. Yeah, Yeah, that's crazy and I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: I love this by director of The Thunderbolts asterisk Jake Schreier, which I'm I'm pretty excited. I think he's I think he's good and I really like The Thunderbolts. Now here's the first thing I thought of with Weaving, who has been on something of a role lately ready or not yet too came out last last summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was in she was in that she's the opening kill and the beginning of Scream six. Obviously we'd love Ready or not. She's in my friend Sewan's movie Enie Meanie, which was a super fun driving movie. She has great taste in scripts, and that also makes me excited, Like, obviously, don't turn down a Marvel gig for the money, but this makes me think Jake's script must be pretty cool.
Speaker 1: It must be pretty cool. Here's the immediate thought I have. If Sadie Sink is Jean Gray hypothetically, hypothetically, if that is true, and we're headed towards a place where Jean Gray and Cyclops are going to be an item in the films, which I would expect would be true. Yes, right, And Scott Summer's Cyclops, who has yet to be cast, is an age appropriate match for Sadie Sink. If Sadie Sink is hypothetically Jean Gray, then we've got a situation where, and I don't hate it, where it's a little bit of an age gap situation. If we go to a place where Emma Scott and well, Emma and Scott are having psychic psychic effect affair, sexual relations whatever. Now, if that happens, they would have to do it several movies from now because it can't be when at the school and Scott is a student.
Speaker 2: This is definitely our favorite bookline, like we always but it's so true. I think I think you're right, Jay said, I think she's I like that she's a little bit older.
Speaker 3: She's ten years older than Sadie.
Speaker 2: Obviously we know that that's probably not the same age as whoever Sadi's playing, but I like that read.
Speaker 3: I love this casting. I think Samara has the juice.
Speaker 2: I think this is old school phase one casting, where they would just cast a fucking sick character actor who you'd be like, oh.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't imagine tomorrow, even in a superhero movie.
Speaker 2: Well, now she's playing like one of the most badass fucking characters ever, Jason, She's got to be a villain for the first movie at least, right, a little health I.
Speaker 1: Would bob em Yeah, I would expect. I would expect the Health Fire Club and Emma to eventually well certainly Emma to eventually be a good guy. But I think it will take two movies. I think it'll be one of those things where the Hellfire Club are villains, pure villains, and Emma is the one who's like, who kind of feels bad about it, who just feels a little bit.
Speaker 2: They also did just establish Janosha in the show, and we know that they do like to seed stuff. So I think having Emma around makes sense. You know, we love her. Yeah, I can't wait for that.
Speaker 3: I think that's bang costing.
Speaker 2: And I think if you are somebody who follows the trades, if you like to follow costing news, you can expect the next two weeks and the lead up to D twenty three.
Speaker 3: I don't think this is going to be the only X Men costing we see.
Speaker 2: That's my thinging.
Speaker 1: I agree. Now, the discourse, as we mentioned, was a little bit. It's interesting, right, like the mainstream press variety was basically like is that all the Avy Club was like the hall h reveals indicate that Marvel has like a lack of confidence. So's it's it's fascinating to see how this stuff is being received right now.
Speaker 2: And I also not doing this slate, I think, despite the fact that it was the right choice in my opinion, but every year, you know, we get used to these huge slates, so many of the movies don't get made and obviously, see, they didn't want to overpromise. I think, especially post Maherschela as Blade and that being announced there and that being such a non entity, I think they wanted to go smaller. But I do understand why industry wise that is looked upon as if it's like, oh, that's pulling back, you know. But I think that for the fans, which is what this is really for, I think it's relivered and they got excited.
Speaker 1: I complete, I agree, I agree, And as a fan myself, I'm excited. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I want to see David.
Speaker 1: I have my worries about, certainly about Doomsday, that it might be too over stuffed, that you were kind of rewinding the calendar to try and jump ahead and progress. Agree, you know, to get to rebuild momentum by going backwards. But I'm tentatively excited and coming off of the momentum of Spider Man brand New Day, which we will talk about soon, maybe Marvels, maybe Marvel's onto something. Let's take a break and we'll be back with some trailer thought. Yeah, and we're back. A slew of trailers got dropped at Sandy Comic Con at First Up Lanterns premier in August sixteenth of this very summer. That's pretty soon, folks logline New Recruit John Stewart, Aaron Pierre and Lantern Legend Hal Jordan Kyle Chandler two intergalactic cops drawn into a dark Earth based mystery with cosmic ties as they investigate a murder in the American heartland. The trailer is very dark and gritty and kind of in the tone of stuff we've seen before. We do get a lot more green Lantern power stuff happening, Yes, they definitely they see most or at least some of it. Finally, I just I gotta be real. I love Aaron Piaire casting. I love off Friday Night Lights casting. I think the great perfect casting. But this is very much like it's kind of like Supergirl in a way where it's just like I have been dark and grated so much.
Speaker 2: I was born in nineteen eighty eight, two years after fucking watch Bed started, Like my whole life has been dark and gritty, comic book stuff, and to have I know that for some people, lindal Off, Tom King, like fifty percent of the world are like, fuck yeah, that's the best team you could imagine.
Speaker 3: And fifty percent are like, that is not the team I would put on this.
Speaker 2: I am. The more I see of this, I am a this is not the team I would have put on this. I just I don't think it's for me. But I will say, if they can deliver a Penguin level show, right, maybe they're gonna fucking surprise us, because nobody thought the Penguin was going to be that good.
Speaker 3: Even though I loved the Batman, right, Like, nobody was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, this Colin Barrell Penguin spin off is going to be fucking award winning so good, like you can't stop watching it with like a fucking game change of performance by Kristin as you know, in that role Kristin Melotti. So like, maybe this will surprise me, but I do think it. To me, the trailer was just like more of the same. There was some interesting controversy around this trailer too, because I think it was screen rant misreported that it would all be released on the same day, which was not the case, but that's spread around San Diego as the talking point, do they believe in it? Do they not believe in it? It now is going to be clearly released weekly, so hopefully that means they think that it's got some juice that can get those talking points. What did you think of the green lantern effects? Did you think it looked good?
Speaker 1: I thought they were a pod very clean. I'm very intrigued that Sinestro appears to be the you know, the bad of this commit commit to the weird shit. I like that commit to the weird shit. It's also been confirmed that the Manhunters will be involved as a as a signal an antagonist here, which is very very fun. I will say that, like the reports that I've read at Ion nine, the direct elsewhere say that the clips that they played in the room were much more buzzy and well receissin the trailer is interesting.
Speaker 2: So this is a very interesting Well, this is another interesting point though, because the reporting was essentially like they showed everything but the first like they showed everything where it almost felt like you were seeing the pilot, but they didn't just show the pilot. So that obviously means that there's something very spoilerific there. But from what they from what I heard, the clips of the actual show really played amazingly in the room. So yeah, that sounds like a good a good omen for us and maybe it's got like a baby Yoda style twist at the end. You know, they don't they don't want to reveal.
Speaker 1: Now, Gunn the embattled question Mark, James Gunny Good the Believer. James Gunn did not appear in Hall h which you know, I don't know he was on. He appeared in a video message take Me from the set of Man of Tomorrow, in which he talked about how and kind of like set the stage for this show. But I am excited for this show. I think it looks great. Mynd worry and I feel like we're just kind of being a dead horse with this because I want DC to succeed and I want it to I want this. I want the gun Era to be the success like I Actually I think I think comic movies will be better if that happens. It does feel as if this is you know, when you go to dinner with somebody and they just order like three appetizers. That's what it feels like. Yeah, I think that's a really good way of putting it. Actually, you know, it doesn't feel like we're building towards a meal.
Speaker 2: But we will see, we will.
Speaker 1: I'm excited about this. We will see up next Lord of.
Speaker 2: The Ring a man sexy Souron He's back.
Speaker 1: Briggs of Power visual teaser trailer only the teaser Sexy Soarn is back.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts on this, I thought, I look good.
Speaker 3: Everyone's wanted to see sexy sourn it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of also giving to me like a little bit of a interview of the vampire switching to the Vampire list stat where. I do feel like this teaser trailer is very different from the rest of the seasons, which were very cozy and cute, and this is like darker son evil, which season two did begin with a really great opening that kind of reset that tone. So I do think that also going to be hoping for a few more like classic stands. Here. We also got a glimpse of official first look at Gandalf. You know, if you watched the show, you'll know that was a long burn come in so so yeah, I'm interested. I mean, I'm a fan of the show. I feel like I love to see millions of dollars spent well on a border the Rings story by an evil operation. Like to me, I'm not gonna complain because it's always lovely to watch, but yeah, no, I thought this bang. Actually I was. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Listen, evil corporations and billionaires only do two positive things for us, that is pay athletes and make movies and television jokes. So like, keep spending that money, What the fuck do I care? Some interesting reveals from the Simon Peg the voice of Bowrog.
Speaker 2: Oh crazy, But I like the nudy. I like the nut bringing in the nuts, the lifelong nuts.
Speaker 1: Bringing the nerd. I really enjoyed the kind of like darker feel, which is appropriate for the rise of Sarah on the show premieres November eleventh. Apparently three drops. There's going to be an episode one to four drop November eleventh, then episodes five and six November eighteenth, and then episode seventh and seven and eight November twenty fifth. Five there's a time jump, Yes, this is a five your time jump after the events of season two, at the height of the War of the Elves and Sarn with the forging of the One Ring as the spine of the story. Yes, how do you interpret this drop, Cadence.
Speaker 2: I think that they are hoping for like a holiday binge watch type situation, And I'm also guessing that each end it, they've basically ended it wherever there is an arc that can kind of have a cliffhanger that will keep people watching. Because we know they have had retention issues with this specific show and getting people to watch the entire season, so I think it's to do with that.
Speaker 3: I think they're trying to find ways to hook people in.
Speaker 2: Now I'm not gonna lie. I actually think they have a secret weapon this year, which is Jamie Campbell Bauer, who played Veckner. He who is just unbelievably popular, right, Like, people fucking love that kid.
Speaker 3: Vecner is huge. He was DJing at San Diego Comic Con.
Speaker 2: He's playing Celliborn, He's playing the Why, the husband of Galadriel. So I think that could bring a big STAN kind of contingent in. I think that they're going for a bit of a younger audience with that costing, So I'm interested to see where it lands. But I think the cadence says they need people to keep watching. So they've basically made three small movies, you know.
Speaker 1: Now here's the big news that, as many have pointed out, this is kind of this This is basically what I think fans thought the show was going to store. Yeah, this season is going to be what everything has been leading to, and it's going to be the story that I think people were thinking the show was going to be when we came into it. So I think that's that's pretty exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm stouts for it. I think it's going to be fun.
Speaker 1: Up next. Blade Runner twenty ninety nine official trailer.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't have looked this good, Like I shouldn't think it was going to be good.
Speaker 1: Should not have looked this good. This is a eight episode limited series which will career in November twenty fifth on Amazon. Crime video log line. Fifty years after the events of Blade Runner twenty forty nine, Los Angeles has been reborn, just not by humanity. Cora, a fugitive in a final bid to stop running, takes on one last identity, a blade Runner. Forced to partner with Olwen, a replicant. Days from dying, she hunts down a runaway hiding a truth that could collapse their fragile city. This is one of the most unwillly log lines I've ever read.
Speaker 2: I've ever read insane very detailed. It's very detailed. It also makes me laugh because what they're basically doing is they're doing pre show exposition.
Speaker 3: In the log line.
Speaker 2: Yes. Also, I'm sorry, I just need to put this here, guys. I mean this is obviously gonna the baby that they find is obviously gonna be a half replicant half human baby. Like, come the fuck on, Like this is the biggest tease ever. I love it. Basically pitched at San Diego as a paranormal detective show between a dying replicant and like a human who is And it's Michelle Yo and Hunter Shafer, So I think that's also.
Speaker 1: That's immediately yeah, immediately enough to get me to tutor it.
Speaker 3: I watched it and I was like, oh wait, this is like Amazon trying to come for Apple.
Speaker 2: This is Amazon saying, okay, Apple, you're the one who's been doing the high concept sci fi. We can do that.
Speaker 3: Like this is a lost leader for us too, we can spend money.
Speaker 2: So I was blown away. I did not have any kind of even conception of this show. I remember they announced it, but the wraps were all over San Diego, the trains were driving through, and when I watched it, I was honestly like, this is probably the coolest, most unexpected trailer I saw, and yeah, it's also going to be a new kind of realm in my understanding of what we've seen, where replicants are more accepted and humans are more unaccepted. I don't know, I'm very excited to see where it goes. Great time to check out the Blade Runner projects that they've done aside from this, the comics and stuff. Just a really cool world and yeah, I'm stoked for that one.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Apple TV, plus, I'm going to add something right, please do it audible. The long, long, long awaited adaptation of Neuromancer.
Speaker 2: The Oh My God Jesus.
Speaker 1: Sci fi series debuted at Santi or Koma Con and I think this was the hit trailer of a great comicon it Oh my God. First of all, starring Callum Turner, wife of Dua Lipa. He's the male wife of being a wife. He's doing a fantastic and supportive job being her wife. And here he is as the main character in Neuromancer, who is like a damage top tier super hacker operating out of futuristic Japan. For anybody who's who's read that book, it's I mean, don't read it now if you don't want to be spoiled, but fantastic.
Speaker 2: It's hot to even put into what's like. This is very It's one of the most important books ever written. If you are a sci fi fan, it's one of the most This and the Difference Engine a kind of your two most establishing kind of different genre spaces. This is your cyberpunk genre space. Difference Engine is steampunk genre space. But those were the books I read as a kid that changed my kind of view of what's on my country.
Speaker 1: First of all, just a quick thing about Neuromancer by William Gibson. The book came out in nineteen eighty four and basically invented a lot of the terminology that we currently exactly is about the Internet, about hacking. I mean, it's an incredible, incredible book. It was thought to be unadaptable at the time, which means nothing now and of course for an environment, but the trailer debuted at Santy or Comic Con, and it is fucking John dropping.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable great. It's like if you were a kid and you dreamed of what a movie of Neuromance would look like, you would hope it looked like this. I'm not apart from Callum Turner being you know, Dua Lipa's husband. I do not necessarily presume he has the juice, but this made me he has the juice. This I think you need to be This is a great He's essentially a hacker who acts with his mind, which I think is going to be really interesting. Also, I want to talk about the creative team. So it's it's Graham Roland, who is who's like an indigenous creator who created a Dark Winds which is fucking amazing. Like we've already talked about. To watch Dark Winds. It's like this incredible indigenous res set kind of supernatural detective show. And it's by JD and JD Dillard, who I believe is one of our most underrated kind of directors. He wrote this incredible he Drew. He made this incredible movie in twenty nineteen called Sweetheart, which was like a fucking cosmic horror movie, and if it had not come out just prior to COVID, it would have just completely blown up. I was begging for it to get a real release during COVID at their drive ins. He is so fantastic.
Speaker 3: He made this movie called Slight that I think was really popular.
Speaker 2: I am just a big fan, and I think he hasn't had his chance to really shine outside of just doing some random episodes like he did an episode of the Twilight Zone, he did an episode of The Outsider, he was allegedly doing like a Star Wars movie that never got made. So the fact that this actually got made and it took them so long to make it, Yeah, And I think from how many comic book creators I saw resharing this, especially British comic book creators, I would assume that when the writing room comes out, we're gonna see some recognizable names because I saw people like Jamie McKelvey, Kieran Gillen resharing this just being like, this is it, this is it, this is it.
Speaker 1: That's a great detail. And I will also say, like we've been talking about it, Apple is killing it with science fiction, killing crazy and this is, you know, along with Foundation, truly one of the iconic series books stories in sci fi and modern sci fi. I fucking cannot wait for this. The cast is incredible, including Mark Strong, Peter Sausgard, d Dandihan Clement's posy Like it's just I'm so excited. This is going to be a ten episode series creative for television, as you mentioned by Graham Rowland. Uh, and Folks comes out January twenty second.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: I cannot fucking wait for this one.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna blow the roof off next year's back conversations if it looks this good, like and yeah, you're right, I mean for sci fi people, this is.
Speaker 3: A momentous adaptation.
Speaker 2: And I kind of think if I was Apple, I would have basically tried to adapt this off the you know, obviously adapting another adaptable book by an incredible sci firi that no one ever thought could be made, you know. So I think I would have gone to them and immediately pitched them and like, hey, look we can do this.
Speaker 3: We can fucking make neromansa and the I mean.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it, but the shots of future Japan, it like looks like a Kira or something but live. It's just so tremendously exciting the quality of the trailer. If if this signifies like how good the show is going to be, Oh my gosh, I'm ready and not fucking wait.
Speaker 2: Read age I said.
Speaker 1: I'm ready. H Finally, more footage from the upcoming Insomniac Games. Marvel's Wolverine. Oh yeah, that's very exclusive, and folks, uh, it's bloody as you would expect. Yes, the premises, Logan comes out of retirement after three years to rejoin Team X when Bollivar Trusts starts kidnapping mutants, forcing him to unite mutants globally against an extinction event. Rescue targets will include Leech, Oh, poor little Artie, Oh my god, and I know and nature Girl. Logan's history with the Hand will be a major thread. And if you've seen any of the footage that has been released lately and you're worried, like am I going to be able to like decapitate Ninja, Yes.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. It's actually got a blood ability that you can like move how bloody it is and how unbloody because it's so excessive at some points. This is really cool. The coolest thing that I found out from San Diego was this is a Logan who's been raised by mister Sinistha, I guess in this kind of space, which I think is really cool. It is also cininically in the same world as the Spider Man games in Insomniac.
Speaker 3: So this is a schedule of us which I think is really interesting.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. I'm going to play the shout this game, like I can't even lie. I'm probably gonna finally to buy a PS five for this one. Like, come on, yeah, Jason, bad news. We were having so much fun.
Speaker 1: We were having a wonderful amount of fun. Wonder Man has been canceled at Disney Plus. Now here's what's On the one hand, you're like, Okay, that kind of makes sense considering the drop kams. But here's what doesn't make sense about it. The show was renewed in March literally, So.
Speaker 2: This is my current theory. This is my current theory. I think from the report and that we're seeing Writers Room never opened season two pick up less than like fucking five months ago, right as were released immediately basically to other projects. I don't think they ever intended to actually pick it up for season two. I think that they did that because there was such a huge ground swell of critic on public support that they were like, fuck we.
Speaker 1: Look, they wanted nominations, they wanted the Emmys.
Speaker 2: I think you lose the.
Speaker 1: Emmy nominations if you don't pick it.
Speaker 2: Say it's a people doing show. Agree, yes, And I also, and I also believe I might be wrong about this, but I think I'm right.
Speaker 1: The good thing about renewing it and then canceling it, even though it is a rug pull for us the Fans, is an excellent show that deserves to be seen and deserves the second season. I think the good news about the renewal and then cancelation is the renewal should trigger the writer's room getting paid.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, good. We love that fingers crossed.
Speaker 3: I think at least a little bit of money.
Speaker 1: I think theoretically people would have gotten paid off that renewal.
Speaker 2: I also say, ya Yaya did a great post where he was kind of like, hey man, this happened, but I guess I'll see you at the fucking Emmys.
Speaker 3: So I kind of love that he's still going to get his little shine.
Speaker 2: We know that there was a lot of conversation that Figi had with him about how this was such an important role and he wouldn't make him take on the role if it wasn't a big deal. So hopefully that means we will get more Simon. I mean, it's hilarious that Ben Kingsley also got a nom for this and they canceled the show. Yeah, I mean it's a bummer to me. But I don't really know whether they're going to keep making TV shows like this honestly as they go forward. So I think that this could also be more of a sign about their plans for Disney Plus than specifically about wonder Man.
Speaker 3: But this was received very badly, and I think fairly.
Speaker 1: The cancelation was received exactly the show was received. One of Oh, the.
Speaker 2: Show was like ninety one percent critics score and run Tomatoes beloved huge. I mean, I got the guys on Escape Patch into it, and they do not really fuck with Marvel in the same way, and they were all devastated when it was canceled yesterday. I think unfortunately this read whether it's intentional or not, like look at the ship that gets canceled at Marvel Man, like they put this shod stuff that doesn't get picked up, that doesn't get made. Obviously, we had this issue with Blade no Eyes of Waconda season two, the Dora Malage series that was supposed to start the Blade. Obviously our biggest issue the Marvel's not seeming to appear anywhere in Doomsday, whether or not it is intentional it looks like Marvel is reacting to the current politics, and I don't think that's going to make people feel included or happy. But we'll see if that plays out in Doomsday. I'm hoping it's going to be a different story on screen.
Speaker 1: The other part of this is sadly, I mean, despite the critical claim Wonderman did not develop an audience.
Speaker 2: We don't know that. We don't Disney really court.
Speaker 1: Disney Plus, of course, like all the streamers, does not release actual data, but the data that is available through Nielsen and elsewhere, which measures basically accrude minutes watch watched minutes through their own third party system that measures people watching on streaming platforms and then registering with Nielsen, just like in the old days with TV had Wonderman at six hundred and eighteen million minutes in week one. This is in the Binge model. Now. The thing about the Binge model is it does inflate. One week drops Echo, which is widely thought to be the weakest or among the weakest, of the Disney Plus TV Marvel offerings, was at seven hundred and thirty one million, and you know, barely more than wonder Man. Wonderman did make like one appearance in the top ten appearance on meals, and then it dropped off so sadly also people were not watching it.
Speaker 2: It seems it's Yeah, it's a tough It's the constant tough conversation with streaming where it's like, what is success, what do they deem as success? What will they use as an excuse? I think we will get more news on this soon. It seemed like Yaya already at least had a bit of a heads up, but I thought the post was a good kind of reclamation of his time and his kind of like agency on it. It will be interesting to see where it goes. I hope we see him turn up again. I think at least we got almost perfect season of Supero TV. You know that team division like.
Speaker 3: I love those, they're remains your.
Speaker 1: Previous point though Daredevil Born Against season one never charted under the Nielsen exactly Nielsen measurement and did get renewed, So we don't, you know, we don't sure what's what's going on up next?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, in our insane news that we will surely be out of day on by the time you listen to this tomorrow.
Speaker 1: So I think I predicted one seventy five to two twenty as the opening. You did one for Spider Brand New.
Speaker 2: Day, you did one A eight to two ten, and I did two ten and we were really, we were very very.
Speaker 1: So Sony is projecting one hundred and ninety five million domestic. The movie's already made one hundred million internationally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And can I just say that domestically yesterday in previews it made seventy four million dollars in one day. So Sony's like doing a safe projection where they're saying like it's going to be one hundred and ninety five mil domestic, But are the studios and indie trackers are basically saying they think it's going to open closer to two fifty to three hundred million domes.
Speaker 1: Thirty to two fifty box office process too, eight to three hundred, which is the high side. And then when you throw global in there, you're looking at almost half a billion to you know, four twenty five to four sixty five million globally.
Speaker 2: I saw huge, huge, huge movie.
Speaker 1: To your point, seventy two million is the highest grossing previews score box office number ever. This is fucking monster movie.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you, I didn't think it could out do No Way Home because everyone had been waiting for The Spider Man Together, right or the Spider Man's depending on what you believe. But I will say if this movie truly opens as big, I saw Jason people predicting that if it opens domestically as big as they expect, like up to three hundred, and if the international keeps going, there is a chance that the opening weekend globally could be as big as eight hundred or nine hundred million. If they open this to almost a billion opening weekend, we haven't seen that since Endgame.
Speaker 3: We haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: Numbers like this is the craziest shit. So if if it opens bigger than three point fifty seven domestically, it will be Endgame domestically, And if it opens bigger than to sixty, it will be No Way Home, which will be make it the second biggest opening domestically of all time. I think it will be No Way Home at this point. The word of mouth is incredible. I'm I'm currently recording this in Florida, and I was at City Walk yesterday and they No Joke had twenty screenings of this. They had the XD, the four XD, the three D, Like every single hour there was a different way to watch Spider Man, and when I was looking, they were all fucking packed. So this is a little bit of a juice builder for Marvel.
Speaker 3: But also, Jason, does this raise an issue?
Speaker 2: Does this start to make it look like Marvel can't make a billion dollars without Sony? Honestly, if this happened without Spider Man, which means in this case, you know, without Sony, I mean you have to wonder.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens with Doomsday this I mean Avengers endgame preview box office number was with sixty million, so Brand New Day is already sky that with seventy c So that's crazy, very interesting indicators there. I think, Listen, Spider Man has been He's the guy. We know that, we know that he's the iconic character in Marvel and has been for eighty years, seventy years or whatever it is. So you know, it's really about the character, less about Sony. But I think you're right, it does indicate that this marriage between Marvel and Sony is going to continue for a while, because I don't think I think there's just too much incentive for them to keep going. Sony does not have the other characters that make the world feel lived in for Peter Records, and it's fascinating. Now here's some other stuff that's fascinating. Brand New Day is playing on zero, yes, zero, Imax. I'm so glad you brought this up, Jason, because my zero this means any vision could fucking work for these bloody fuck I don't want.
Speaker 2: It to work. I think it's stupid. But this movie is currently not playing in Imax screens. This is the soft launching. You can make a billion dollar movie without having Imax, which is the ultimate expensive premium format upgrade ticket. So the Odyssey is still booming. It's gonna end up making a bill globally for sure. It's because of that three week Imax exclusive. So I'm so glad you brought that up because I think that those Disney execs who came up with Infinity Vision are rubbing their hands together right now. Also, Jason, could this be the first time that a director has had the biggest opening of their lives and also a cancelation in the same day.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, it can't be said enough. The movie that just set the all time previews record and is all the way towards perhaps a billion dollars in box office and you know, half a billion dollars globally over an opening weekend. Is doing it without any Imax screens. To your point, I mean, Marvel vision could work vision or whatever the fuck vision. It could possibly work. It could work crazy.
Speaker 2: This is a crazy week for Marvel news and other news, but I mean we're a week for Marvel fans. This is it's kind of popping off, honestly, like and I think it's only going to get bigger leading into D twenty three.
Speaker 3: The big question now is can James got in his.
Speaker 2: Clay Face movie, which and Joel talked about. It looks cute, it's a horror movie, we get it. Can can he come back and do some crazy billion dollar like obsession style take for that movie because other oh wise, I don't know how much juice the Gun has left within it.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of too late now. The train tracks have been laid, and the train tracks should have been leading towards Justice League and they're not. And some of this I think was outside of his control because he never had Batman in house or didn't have a plan to integrate Matt Reeves's version of the character into the universe, or it just didn't have a plan to launch Batman in any significant way beyond Brave and the Bold, which we've heard nothing about since its first announcement. So I don't know. It was a everything that everything that DC put out has been good. I enjoyed the trailer for Lanterns. I think the clay Face trailer is good. But to your point, it's kind of it's a variety of salads when their direct competitor is bringing out like steak and Koko van and sushi, et cetera. So I'm concerned for James. But you know what, Yeah, wells, you know, listen, who knows. Maybe Crazy's gonna be Matt Reeves's universe in the future. May I would love to say of the next week's episodes of X Ray Vision, we've got House of the Dry and we've got Spider Man, Brand New Day, Roundtable, X Men ninety seven, all that and more. Thanks for listening to this episode of News.
Speaker 2: It was a big news episode. And if you've got any questions guys that you want us to ask answer about Brand New Day, join our discorde. There's a spoiler channel hop in there and we can get into those crazy Easter eggs.
Speaker 1: On All Round Table. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Night and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuza Part.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.