Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much for joining and listening and watching this episode. I am so excited because I get to sit and have a conversation with the one and only Jenny Martine. I'm excited because it just like I'll spend like a good hour looking at your tiktoks, yours and Nana Joe's, and I'm just like, what am I going to make for dinner today? And you guys make it so simple and so easy and so fun. But I'm so honored and I'm so happy to have you here and to be able to talk with you and get.
Speaker 2: To know you, and yeah, well, thank you so much for having me here. I'm the one that's really excited. As a matter of fact, I mean, I've been watching what you're doing too, so to me, it's an honor. And yeah, it was something that cooking was like, Okay, what else are we going to do in COVID, right, Yeah, so waiting for watching my videos.
Speaker 1: I'm super excited. This is actually our second time meeting. First time was out of coincidence. We were both getting our nails done, which was so fun, and I thought, I'm like, let's just get around the podcast and let's chit chat. I want to. I've seen so many great things about you. Obviously you mentioned you started in COVID and now you have a whole cooking line and sassonis and all this stuff, which I congratulations are well deserved, especially for the Latina and Mexican community. I think it's amazing because I feel like that's what every Mexican mom or person dreams of when they're just like in the kitchen cooking and just I don't know, I just I would love that. So maybe that's just me. But I want to go ahead and let you introduce yourself what you do for people that don't know.
Speaker 2: And yeah, well, thank you, thank you for that lovely introduction. My name is Jenny Martinez and thanks to my daughter Cindy. I was the one that was She was one that inspired me to mom, you should cook on TikTok. And I didn't even know what TikTok was back then. I just knew about Facebook and Instagram. And then I started, well, you know, like all of us watching what we're eating, so I started doing keto. It was like when keto was like big thing, and she says, but don't do keto on TikTok. You're just gonna do what you really do, what grandma taught you, your Mexican thing. And and I said, okay, well download the app and let's see what we can do. So she well, it was when all the stores were closing down. Yeah, you couldn't go to the store. You were not even allowed to go out from your house. So she says, do you have everything for to make me your mom? And I said, let me go to the pantry. But I usually always stalk my fridge and my pantry, so luckily I had everything, including the meat, imagine, So I said, yeah, I have everything. So she says, okay, let's let's record. So as I already had everything laid out, she says, but give me that energy, mom, give me that energy.
Speaker 1: Direct your coach.
Speaker 2: You what she is? She still is and a funny thing. It's to me. It was just like, what is this TikTok thing? This I could I was just seeing kids dancing and I'm like, okay, this is not even real. But She's like, give me, mom that energy because we only have three seconds to capture people's attention. So I grabbed the piece of meat and I'm like like this and she's like, mom, perfect, Hi, Cindy, she says, no, Mom, for real, that's perfect. So we did it and she uploaded the video and oh my gosh. The following morning, I wake up and my phone literally was just going crazy. I had to turn off all the notifications because it was like, you know. And so I run to Cindy and I'm like, oh my gosh, the video has over a million views, and she's like, I told you, Mom, I told you. So I'm looking at it and I'm like, is this even real? Are these robots?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: You're still thinking me because it's like there's no way. And so anyway, way, it's funny because on Instagram, when I was posting my my recipes, you know, family members were like, bo chef, you know, and it's like, well, I do cook, and I've been cooking since like forever, so I guess I am my own chef of my kitchen. And uh and after that, I mean that thanks to that one TikTok video that she she pushed me, then people wanted to know what a taco was, because no, it was not a thing back then, and then everybody started doing the tacos and uh, well, back in the day, it was like taco, but it was you would just stuff it with whatever choice of me. And so since I had the viria, I said, okay, well casabria taco. But now they come up with all these creative names for the keestabriotaco and it's just beautiful to see that, you know, you started something. I mean, I know that many women before us they were making biria, but I think that thanks to that video, like everybody's I started making Bria and I would get so many messages saying, oh my gosh, thanks for your video. Now I can make me ria at my house because I never imagined that it could make hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's a lot of dating.
Speaker 1: It is intimidating because it's a lot of ingredients. But if you think about it's just it's pretty simple. But I love that you were you can explain it and make it simple. And especially I think during COVID, like I feel like a lot of people opened up their palettes and they kind of in a new world creatively as well, like it inspired that year inspired especially me for like to start new things and to start a new career and whatever, what were you doing before covid and the video.
Speaker 2: I know I was telling you forklifts, can you believe it with your.
Speaker 1: By yourself?
Speaker 2: That was me. They when after I had the boys, I'm like, okay, what am I going to do now? So I took this sale coordinating position and I'm like, okay, I was supposed to be running the whole sales team and I would be telling like all the sales guys where to go, like get them deals and go get them like appointments, and I was selling more on my own. So I said, okay, you know what, I'm just gonna go out there and just get it done my ship, and you know it was it was Yeah. The money was good too. I mean because you know, selling forklifts, it's it's literally a need for a company. So for sure, funny thing, it's like, okay, I have to do. I really have to learn about motors and about transmissions. And I said, okay, if there's where, if this is where the money's at, I have to learn. But it's okay to yeah, And.
Speaker 1: It's different from a woman like explaining it, so I feel like it's intimidating, badass, like you're selling it to like a group of men. Like right, yeah, they would look at me. I know exactly what it is, like she.
Speaker 2: Doesn't know what she's talking about. But then I would get a sale. And honest to god, in the very beginning, I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. But I think what what I did? I build that trust? Yeah, And if I didn't know, I would go go to my box and I'm like, Okay, I need to know this. I need to know that. And I think that's what helped me that I was being honest and I would get them all the information and I was not trying to blow smoke out of your you know. I'm like, I don't know, but I'll find out.
Speaker 1: Did they ever look at you weird like the men?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah. And then not only that, but our competition. They would also make comments like oh you know, And I was like a funny thing. When TikTok happened. I even told my boss, you know what, we should start promoting because the marketing thing, let's do it on TikTok like everybody's doing it. He's like oh no, no no, And he was like me, like, oh, that's the kids, that's not for us. And then when he learned that I had a million followers. He's like, well, Jenny, and I'm like, well, no, not anymore, because this is just about kitchen. It's about cooking. So it was just amazing that thanks for that one video, and then my followers just kept on just like blowing up later on, like in less than a year, already had a million followers. It was just crazy. And then after that my freaking collection at Daisy Penny. I see, That's when I started crying.
Speaker 1: Are you still doing the forklifting right now? You're just completely focused on TikTok social media?
Speaker 2: Now three months into it, I was already ready to leave work because of all the brand deals that were coming in, and I even told my daughter, you got to leave your work too. I got to leave mine. But then I felt bad. I felt bad for my boss because well, you know a lot of people were being laid off because of COVID, so yeah, I said, like just leave them, and you know, things are really happening for me, but you know, things with COVID, there was places that were closing down, so I felt bad just saying hey bye. But then he learned that I already had a million followers, and he even came to me. He says, if you're ready to move on, then that's fine. So I really have to appreciate that from from the owner of the forklift company that he understood. It's like you have to go, you have to go. And so now it's just like I'm doing what I love. Loke simpreto. I mean, I got married at a very early age at seventeen.
Speaker 1: I want to know all about that. I want to know how you got into cooking, and I'll give me that she's bad. I want to know how you.
Speaker 2: Well, my mom has always cooked. She's actually you know, like I've always said, if she would to have social media back in the day, I'm pretty sure she would also be well known because she was like the person in the Mexican community eyeira, like cacila viria for the quin senera for the wedding and so and so. She was the one that was donating the food gomola madrina, and she was known for making her famous viria, and she got us into the kitchen like all of my sisters at a very early age. For me, at thirteen, iurs already cooking on my own. So when I started dating my husband at the age of thirteen, and so my mom finds out. I may say, okay, no, no, you can't have a boyfriend until you're fifteen. And I said, and saying, ye see, the kid esperad he has to wait for to ask permission to your dad. And I said, oh my goodness, okay, so I told him. I said me, oh, my mom found out, and and I can't have a boyfriend until I'm fifteen, so you have to wait. So he says, okay, well i'm your chamberlain. Let's I'll be your chamberlain. I said, okay, yeah, let's let's do that. So he became my chamberlain. And the day of my kin sayera, he asked for permission, and so we got love. I can't so he was so nervous to ask my dad for for permission, but he did. And uh and then thirty three years later we're still together. But I remember my dad had to sign for me because I was seventeen. But we had already planned, like okay, it's almost like a staca. And and so my dad's like, but canna spend on like two more months, just wait two more months and you can sign on your own. And my husband's like, well, he already said he could sign, So why can't you just sign and and let's just, you know, let's just get married. And I said, okay, well, dad just signed please, because we already have the date, we already have everything. So and he said, yes, my dad just told them that you're gonna you know, you're still gonna take her to school because I was still in high school. Right, You're gonna take her to high school and she's gonna finish school and you're gonna always be there for her. And you know what, he kept his promise.
Speaker 1: Imagine if you got married at seventeen like this day, though like in this time, I don't know, like exactly right, totally different, Like it would be absolutely not like you're gonna wait until like you're too you know, you're too young or whatever, but like this is it.
Speaker 2: This is I think I was just I just knew all along what I could do in my capabilities, and I saw that he was very mature too at the age of nineteen, because he was nineteen seventeen, and so when I saw his maturity and how how responsible he was, I'm like, Okay, you know I got this, like we got this, and we did. We did four babies later too, four babies later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when did you have your first baby?
Speaker 2: So I was eighteen when I gave birth to Anthony. He's thirty two years old, and uh, I got traumatized with his births that I said, Okay, I'm not gonna have any more kids. But then I really wanted a girl. So after the seventh year mark, I'm like, all right, you know what, I'm gonna give it another try. Okay. So thankfully I had my girl and I said, Okay, that's it. I'm done. But then ten years later, I'm like, I want more girls. I want more because my mom had five girls. And the way that we're just you know with my mom, like I want that.
Speaker 1: Do you have brothers too?
Speaker 2: Or I have one brother? Oh? Oh, so backwards reverse, it's reverse. And it's funny though that my mom, because she wanted boys and she had, you know, the majority of girls. It's funny that we all her daughters the majority, we all have boys like her grandsons. Yeah, and everyone just had like all my sisters, we all have one girl, the majority of our boys. It's crazy how it got reversed. But yeah, I got I got that little fever. H ten years later, after Cindy and I planned it, I did my Chinese calendar and then I ended up with a boy, two more boys. But I think there been are blessing because well, you know, they grow the your kids grow older, they start doing their own thing, and then so it's like, Okay, that's good that it happened like that. But if I were to start all over again, I would have them back to back, just to kind of thing so they could.
Speaker 1: All sure, they could all grow to this is different, Like it's like their attitudes and the way that they everything is.
Speaker 2: I think so. And then Cindy sometimes acts like the mom or Anthony Ax like the dad to the younger ones. And so for me, I would have rather them all just like grow up together instead of being like that.
Speaker 1: All right, we're going on a quick break and we'll be right back with more of Jenny. Welcome back. Were you guys your siblings close?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we were all like either a year and a half or two years apart, back to back.
Speaker 1: And then you guys would always help your mom cooking all that.
Speaker 2: We were always always together in the kitchen, my dad, my brother, everybody cooks. So for me to teach my kids boys in the kitchen. It's like for me, it was like it was the natural thing in my family, So they know how to cook. Josh at the age he actually surprised me, the baby one. He started cooking at the age of six. He was already in the kitchen with me and they were part of the kitchen cooking all the time. So by the age of thirteen, he was already making fresh pasta, something that I had never done, which.
Speaker 1: Is good because I think men knowing how to cook is a very I think that's a good, good start. Like I would love for my brothers to be able to cook too, like or when they're on like a first date or their wives. I think it's like that's a great thing that you're showing them. And I think that's I don't know, does your husband not a cook? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did. I mean he he's more like, uh, like towards the grill, like just AlSi may said, you know, because sometimes I prepare everything and then I just take it outside and he just grills it. But you know, he really he can really get down like if he has to do it all on his own, he knows how to do it. But but it was something that for me to teach him for my kids to be independent in the kitchen, because you just never know, you just never know. I always taught him like, Okay, you could dress on your own at five. I don't have to be selecting your clothes. You have to wash at seven. And my Mom's like, I'm me happy. I'm like, no, no, they could do it. And so I've always taught him to be very independent. And so thankfully, Mita, I raised someone that she when this whole thing happened for us, when the fame happened and we needed to read contracts, we needed to negotiate, Cindy had to handle everything and she did everything herself.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, Sinday, because there's a lot of wishy washy things happening. So that's very good that she has you and that obviously the guidance. And I think what I love the most is that you're enjoying something that you are, that you love to do naturally, like you could be at home cooking, and you're also building a community of people that love your recipes and love.
Speaker 2: Who you are.
Speaker 1: And on Facebook, what is it like ninety thousand? What is biggest things you get told to cook favorite thing you love to cook for everybody, and then your favorite thing about having this community that follow you and support you.
Speaker 2: Well, going back to the Facebook, it was something that we just focused on TikTok and Instagram, right, and everybody's like, oh, don't do Facebook anymore.
Speaker 1: Sports up too.
Speaker 2: I know we do regret not focusing there, but ever since I started, like, okay, we got to get Facebook up. Thankfully, like within two months from twenty two k, now we grew to ninety K. So it's a good stark. No, it's not paying attention, but the very the very first, the number one thing that everybody asks me, like what is your favorite thing to cook or for you or for your husband? And I feel like Chile Rieno's was the one that I think, I that's how I got my husband's attention because when I was.
Speaker 1: That's your marry me dish pretty much pretty much because I got invited.
Speaker 2: Well, I was always at his house with his mom cooking, helping her. But he did say yo enos and the mom, Masoya said, I know me who that takes forever? And I'm like, no, I can. I can make them because I mean I grew up with my mom, five sisters, one brother, and then we always had piastios, so we always had not just one bag of Chila Reno's, we had bags and bags and bags of Chila reanos. So for us, we already kind of had a system. So yo Sol and like my my mother in law was very amazed too, like wow, and so everybody was like these are so good. So I think that's when everything's like, Okay, she's she's a person to marry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the best way. Honestly, you've been on Food Network and all these amazing things. I think for me, what I want to know is obviously, uh, you know, you've lived along, you've lived a long life, you've had a long career, You've did different things, and then this came, and obviously it's such a blessing. It's amazing, it's a it was just a career switch like this, though, did you ever expect this to happen? Did you ever like think like was it a dream maybe to maybe this.
Speaker 2: Is or just happened and you were just never did I imagine or or did I say I'm gonna do my videos to get famous. Nothing like that passed through my head, And to me, it was just something that I was doing because we were all stuck it at home, you know, and it's like, all right, well, you know, we can continue this, we can continue cooking, and since people like it, well let's do more. And then as we started growing and going back to the community, it was something for me that I inspired someone to just turn on the stove because people were saying, oh my gosh, Jenny, thanks to you, you help me cook because well, you can't go out to restaurants. I was forced to cook at home. And thanks to your videos, you make them so easy, you make them look so easy. But remember back in the day, TikTok only gave you sixty seconds, so it was like I really had to figure out how to deliver a whole recipe in a whole minute. And so people are like, oh, you making you make it so easy. You actually inspired me to turn on the stove. And I said, Okay, if I'm helping one person, I'm going to continue posting. And so obviously, I mean, you get you get All these people say no, but it's like, well that's how I got you know, That's how my mom got me. And and if a million people back in the day, it's like they're like in it, well I'm going to continue. So I just continued with my own thing. But yeah, thanks to that, it just I got invitations to Food Network. I mean made Hiro and Jenny, can you promote our pots and pans? And I'm like, well, actually I want my own lines. And so when they said, wow, maybe we could. And so when they came back to me saying yes we can make your own line, wow, oh wow, It's like wow, could you could just It's it was not like I cannot say that it wasn't a dream, but I guess you cannot dream if the opportunity presents to you. It's like, let's just see how far you can get with this. And I mean I'm not I'm not twenty, I'm not thirty. So I said, because I'm not going to stop right now, like this is the time that I'm just going to continue. And it's just one door opens, another door or keeps on opening, and it's just it's like when when do you stop? And it's like, well, I'm just gonna continue opening all these doors.
Speaker 1: Which I think is more inspiring because, like I said, young and beautiful at your age, I feel like people just don't expect this to happen, and it literally right there.
Speaker 2: But it's it's what it's what you do with this opportunity, because I mean, yeah, you can get one radio viral, but can you maintain it? And it's about now having that discipline, having to wake up every day. It's like, okay, how can I be better and how can I improve? And so it's like now you can dream big. Now it's like, okay, now let's let's take the ball by the horns and let's make it big. So thankfully now I have my U Messa Mia, Jace Penny. They opened the doors for me and that was such a huge accomplishment.
Speaker 1: Was that your I made a moment pretty much, I want to say they there's been so many moments, Jenica that it's like when they tell me which one's your favorite, I can't say.
Speaker 2: Which is my favorite because there all have been blessing. They all have brought tears to my eyes and it's like, wow, you know, he said this happened to us, and so but when I saw when I saw the shelves at Jayce Penny with my face and then Messa MIA's name on it, It's.
Speaker 1: Like wow that, how did your kids and your husband feel.
Speaker 2: They they all they all get like very also choked up, and and they're like, yeah, that's my mom, that's my mom. But it's funny has like, oh Mom, you can do it. Yeah, oh my god, Like yeah, there's time. So like when when Food Network invited me, I told my daughter, I said, I'm not I just cook at home, like I'm not ready for a competition and I am not like this this chef. I'm just a cook at home. And she and Cindy reminded me, what have you always told me? Mom? You got to confront your fears. And I'm like, don't fear, don't let fears stop you. And that's when it hit me. I'm like, damn it, I can't say no, right, So I said, okay, tell them yes. So when I go, obviously I was nervous. I didn't want to let my community down, but I was gonna be competing with other people. And it's like these are people that are chefs that they went to to culinary school and I'm over here just my mom taught me or self taught at home, and I freaking want.
Speaker 1: Like the ones that you know cook at home. Salame and I feel like, you know, the competition or whatever, and it's like, no, it's everybody eats no put in, but everybody what iss like, there's no everybody has their different things exactly how you said, you're a chef in your own kitchen, and I'm a chef in my own kitchen. There's a way that I do things. There's a way that you do things, and I feel like everybody has super processor on the way that they do things, and and I feel like that goes into everything everything else, Like I you know, at the end of the day, you're doing this. I feel like, you know, for yourself and for the women at home or men at home as well, Like it's it's super super inspiring. And because I feel like it, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I feel like a lot of people are intimidated by the kitchen like or cooking. Like I feel like they're like, I can't do this. It's like no, there's a it's it's not that hard, really not that hard.
Speaker 2: But it is very intimidating for a lot it is. And so it's like if they tell me, oh, Jenny, go build a car, and it's like, okay, well that's not in my you know, my area. But and I guess that's why I felt intimidated like sellly Fork back in the day, because of the motors and the transmissions. But then if you really do it, and it doesn't matter what field you're in at work, if you just do it with pure intentions and with a good heart, easy gonnason o'kay. Even though you mess it up the very first time, you're gonna eventually get it. And so that goes with everything in life. If you just do it with love, it's gonna come out right, of course, and it's okay if you mess up. It's okay if you burn it, because I've burned a lot of stuff myself. I still do. But even so, it's like it's gonna happen to the most of us, even to like to the culinary chefs. And so I always say, Cicosina's gonna more. I don't know if you remember hearing your family say as you didn't know how that good when you're pissed off when you were like cooking this because it's either too salty or whatever. But it's so true. It's so true you transfer your emotions to food. Of course, it's great worse. But I totally believe in that. But the funny thing and what I really really love and if you pay attention next time, Jenica, just pay attention when you're surrounded just it doesn't have to be your family, just with anybody. When when you're surrounded by food and with people, they're like the most happiest when you're eating, You're the.
Speaker 1: Most hare joy seeing them like it too, Like it brings some type of like like but maybe that's because like I'm a I'm a people person, like I you know, I'm a razer. So I'm just like, Okay, they liked it. If they didn't like it, oh my gosh, like I freak out. I'm just like, what did I do wrong? But yeah, and I totally agree, I think like with good intentions, Seva Salibrian, you know that's like the most important thing because obviously, like you're putting love into not only your food but into your your business. I guess now, Mesama, all right, we're going on a quick break and be right back with more of Jenny. Welcome back. You have a cookbook, right, yes, you have a cookbook, and then you have the sasonis Jenny's favorite seasoning. I remember and the pats and pans. How is that moment for you? Like take me through the process of creating, And because I don't know what it's like to write a cookbook, and I feel like that's complicated because you got to remember, Like you can't remember like I cook without like tablespoons or measurements, so then now you have to guess it and do it right.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Absolutely. When when the publisher came to me, it says, Jenny, we do you want to write a cookbook? I'm like, yes, can we have it done like in three months, like for Mother's Day? And they're like, oh, hold ye, no, no, no, no, no, this is going to be ready for Mother's Day, but in two years from now. And I was like, what two years?
Speaker 1: You had it planned a long time ago.
Speaker 2: It's a two year process, which to me was like I even got like, oh my gosh, I who knows if TikTok's going to be around in two years because they kept on saying TikTok's going to be you know whatever, it's older and and I said, oh my gosh, mom, and I really needed to help me with measurements, No mom, momadas and she was said, which is a what size is it the small motor? And I had literally but she said, Mika, you already know. And I'm like, you know what I I do? I already know. So I guess I just got nervous because they did say you have to explain to someone that has never been in the kitchen, and so you can't assume they already know, like you already know, so you really have to sit down and think. So I would run to the kitchen, I'm like, okay, quanto, and then I would like literally have to just to make sure that I was giving proper instructions and proper measurements. I had to redo the whole thing. But it's like, okay, I already knew it, but just to kind of test it. And then even so you write a recipe and then you have to hire food testers because we got to make sure.
Speaker 1: That you q the salt is correct or the typos in the cookbooks.
Speaker 2: So's it's a whole process. But after you have that book in your hands, it's like giving birth to your baby, like yeah, finally it's ready. But it was such a huge accomplishment because I wrote it honoring my mom My mom is such a great chef herself that it's like, you know, my mom is really the goat here. My mom is the one that taught us. Because of my mom, this is how, this is how what I know and I do best because of her. And yes, even though I got some from my tias for my sisters, because my sisters learned from their suegras, and so I was that type of person that's like, Okay, this is really good. I need to know how did your mam make that thing? God, because you know this is from from Mexico. I didn't know how to make dinga. My mom didn't know how to make dinga. So I was like investigating, like okay, cant and so me asking being that met tech, I got to learn how to make certain other recipes. So this and I explained in each and every recipe I give I give credit to the person that I that I that I learned the recipe, because I feel that's the way to honor the people that because we're all great chefs, we all learned all that. And so and even with when when TikTok happened for me, it's like who do I go to for help? We didn't know how to, you know, with TikTok, like nobody wanted to help me because and then some muchas and mexicanosy didn't. They didn't know. So when other other chefs started reaching out to me, I was gladly helping them like look, I don't know, I don't have all the answers.
Speaker 1: It's good karma.
Speaker 2: But but because this is what I know, this is what my daughter found out, and sometimes we had to learn the hard way ourselves, like you could do this, you could do that, or this is what worked for me. And so I feel by by doing that, like you said, the good karmatar even though you know, and some others they they even grew bigger than me, double than me, and I was so happy for them. So I was getting blessings in many different ways that it's like, you know, that's just who I am. I'm always I'm always trying to help Otras personas porquet. We have to change that that instead of being jealous or being envious, help each other. And that was my mentality. When I invited everybody for my launch of Messamia, I wanted all the Mexican chefs to be there too, because I wanted them to be also be known. It's like how many taco stands are there?
Speaker 1: Too many?
Speaker 2: Too many? So to me, it's like, whatever's gonna happen to you meta, it's it's already written for you. It's gonna happen for you. And if you want to stop whatever's gonna happen for me, you can't because it's already gonna happen for me. So I am a huge believer in that. And this is why to me, it's like, I'll help all my other chef influencers because I already know that whatever's going to happen to them, it's gonna happen for them because we're all stars where we all have talent, we all have a little extra special different thing.
Speaker 1: And everybody's different.
Speaker 2: And this is this is why I feel when people say I could, man, it's like, well good because imagine the same recipes over and over. How boring would this world be. That's good that you don't add this. It's good that I add this because now it's different. And so this is why I captured your attention because mine is different. And that's why I you know, you who captured my like with not a dot, it's like wow, like she does it different and I would never imagine to do that, but it's her own little different way. With many other chef influencers, it's like wow, like I never imagine of doing that. But it's the beauty of all these recipes.
Speaker 1: And your creatings that they could good food, good food, good vibes. Everyone loves food. There's there's should be no person that does not like delicious homemade food, which and I love hearing that side of you as well, because obviously, like social media can change everything, it can change to mental la hinte and what you think and you know, even personally. Have you ever had a moment, like a discouraging moment like you wanted to stop?
Speaker 2: No? No, I have never never allowed that that to to get over me. There's there's times, though that I do get mad at myself because I don't know the technology as good as my daughter, because because she in one minute, she already figured it out. And sometimes I'm sitting there and I'm like watching girls and so and so Sidny's like, mom, I can't do everything for you, and I'm like, I know me, I'm sorry, And that's when I get mad at myself. But it and and so I wish, I wish that I was more techy savvy, if I can say that, or even in downloading an app or or or that it takes me forever, and I see my kids they do it in like a minute or less than a minute, and I'm like, like, what's wrong with me? But then, you know, if I really think back, I remember how my mom and my dad would come to me at one point it's like yes, like like momy bus ussi and and now I kind of feel like that. So that's the only thing I felt. But it was because of the technology. And right now, I mean technology is where it's at. I mean everything's on your phone, everything's on an app, everything's on a platform. So I just have to stay up to date. And that yeah, forcefully for us.
Speaker 1: But luckily you have four you have four kids to help you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you. I have I have four kids that keep me on my toes or with the new language that sometimes I don't even understand what they're saying, or sometimes they're like, oh bro, I'm like, I'm not your bro. I'm still your mom. I mean, I mean I'm not your your your friend. I'm still your mom.
Speaker 1: My, sister, says that all the time, and even my nieces too, They tell me brou and I'm like, no, Nina, you better call.
Speaker 2: Me no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: We're not going to start that. So okay, obviously you've accomplished all of this, the views, the recipes, the cookbook, the pots, the sass. Now that you have this, what do you want to do next?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. People have asked me that, and there's other stuff that are coming, and that I still don't believe that it's happening, but there's there's other things that are coming. We're gonna share it with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, is there anything that you that's not that's not happening right now? Maybe that or something a goal that you might want to reach or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cooking with you leave.
Speaker 1: That's what I was saying off camera guys too, that we were supposed to but right now my kitchen, I gotta go to your house see now. If not you can, we're going to come back once my kitchen is back and working. But also I would love to cook with you and do some cute little videos and give you one of my mom's recipes to show you one of my moms that I learned to cook.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait. Well, you already know that I'm a huge fan of your mom. I still am, and thank you. I appreciate it huge my you know, biggest respect for for your entire family.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate it. No, and it's a huge honor say't have you? And I think more than anything to be that voice for Latina's, for Latinas that you know that are at home that love to cook. I feel like it's an important message that you can be anything that you want to be. If you want to be a chef and you want to quit your job, or if you don't have a job, I feel like you have the inspiration and the goal to just show it doesn't matter if there's a thousand people doing it, you could still do it.
Speaker 2: You can still do it.
Speaker 1: And if you have a daughter, if you have somebody that can help you, you don't even better. But if you don't, I promise you could do it. I feel like there's a world in a space again for everybody, and everybody can do it.
Speaker 2: There's not.
Speaker 1: There's nothing that nobody can do. And I love that you may also made that possible for Latina women. And again huge, congrats to the book, you guys, the book and mess amia in general. That's where that's basically the line, right, Messama.
Speaker 2: Sama, and then my book is my Mexican mess I know everybody's like, how did you get that listo? And I said, well, everybody says lista when it's done. So when people started saying, I, why are you saying lista like that? You sound like doras for Dora. So then I started extending my words, you know, and I that was more catchy.
Speaker 1: I didn't think that it does sound like door, but it sounds cool.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I'm like, Hey, Dora was fay mary. So so I started extending the words even more, like if you're not gonna remember my name, you're gonna remember me by the listo lady or by the beautiful lady. And sure enough we're like in public and if they don't remember my name, they're like the beautiful lady, lady beautiful.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, you see, were those things that you came up with or you always said.
Speaker 2: Well like yes, well I would always I always say beauty and food, so I would say peutiful. But then I noticed that a lot of chefs do say that too, but but somebody did say, no, Jenny, you brought beautiful to the next level because I was extending my words and it's something that I gus. I didn't realize I was doing. And then people were like, you know, like why do you do that? And I'm like, okay, well here's even more. And then it just became a thing.
Speaker 1: Lo your awn little vocabulary. Did you put that in the book?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: I need to go get it. I need to go get it.
Speaker 2: But you have to try Jenny's Favorite seasoning. And I brought it for you, and I also brought your little present.
Speaker 1: I ask you. I was going to ask him, like, what's in Jenny's Favorite seasoning? Like what kind of like sasson is it?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Well it's a little bit of everything you already know us Mexicans. Yes, this is for you.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 2: And I literally put that on on everything, everything, okay, So it goes with potatoes, with chicken with I actually came up with this blend for my Carna sala okay. And because my husband went viral with this onion milk marinate that I came up with and because I was like wait, we we had garden, we had sailantro to the Carna sada, but then we end up throwing it away.
Speaker 1: That I taste a little bit of limon.
Speaker 2: Well you know how we add lemon to the garna salda. We had onion, we had cilantro, we had I like to add a little bit of spice, then a chile, so it has a little caig. But it's such a really good one.
Speaker 1: Well I'm excited. Oh now I want to cook, but I can't be cause my kitchen its hido. This is a beautiful, beautiful book. I've seen it online and obviously you don't go I haven't gone to like Barnes and Nobles or any stories like that, but this is beautiful. Wow, congratulations it.
Speaker 2: Actually it actually made uh that one of the best books of twenty twenty four from Amazon, So to me that was like a huge accomplishment. And then it also we hit the national best selling because I'm like, well, Latinos, we don't buy cookbooks because we don't measure. And so for my community came together and for them to give me all that love and to show me that support, and it's I'm saying all right now for eighteen dollars.
Speaker 1: There you guys go, this is your your.
Speaker 2: That's my oldest son, Oh, my god, Anthony.
Speaker 1: And then I saw your husband in here too, my mom.
Speaker 2: And this pretty much is more family style cooking. Oh can you reduce the amounts to like two or four people? I'm like, that's not Mexican. I'm like, if you're gonna be cooking Mexican, at least give.
Speaker 1: Me eight exactly exactly. Wow. And I love that it's so family orientedy and and that's beautiful and I think so I think that's the reason of all your success and with good intentions, like we said, congratulations, thank you again, thank you so much for this. I'm gonna be I'm gonna be cooking it up because I I started my cooking.
Speaker 2: On my why see that by you?
Speaker 1: Why my TikTok. I was like, you know, let me just throw it on there. It might not be the best, i might not be beautiful and enjoy, but I'm definitely gonna throw this in there. And I wanted to thank you again so so so much. You're huge inspiration I think too many And if you guys please please please support Jenny Martinez and all her endeavors, go buy her pots, her pants and her sasson.
Speaker 2: And her book.
Speaker 1: What is your social media and everything so that they can.
Speaker 2: Find on Instagram, I'm Happy Bellies by Jenny for the same reason, so Happy Bellies by Jenny. And because there were so many Jenny Martinez on Instagram.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of Jenny there.
Speaker 2: For TikTok, it's Jenny Martinez with triple z and on you Tube to where Jenny Martinez that I'm being on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Now there you go. You got it your She's everywhere you guys, Amazon, j C Penny, go to j C Penny, which is a great, great place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was my childhood store.
Speaker 1: So I feel like there's goot to be.
Speaker 2: This, you know. Yes, thank you, thank you so much. I had so much fun. I mean, I love you and your entire family, so thank you. Thank you. We have an honor for me.
Speaker 1: We have a cooking day. It was an honor for me too. I really I really appreciate. I love hearing everybody's story and I love food to so I love knowing where your heart is at and all this, and I love thank you, Cindy, Thank you guys so much for coming. Thank you guys for watching and listening. Make sure you guys like, comment, subscribe, Please support Jenny and all everything like she said her social media and I will see you guys next Tuesday. Overcome for podcast is a production of iHeart Fast Network