Speaker 1: On today's episode of The Command Center Podcast, we talked Senior VP of Football Operations Brandon Whofras, Susna Susna we go. We got schedule released as from the player's perspective, do we care? Do we not care? Say to me to find out. And we got OTA's which you're always fun to talk about it. We've got VR training. What does that look like?
Speaker 2: It all starts right out.
Speaker 1: Welcome into the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Fred Spoot and Santana Moss and guys. Well, first off, let's talk about this Fred. Yeah, just went on a trip.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did trip with the kids.
Speaker 3: Drove all the way down to Birmingham, Alabama for au tournament with you. Saw a lot of people down there. Then household Joe back to Virginia for the Dale Green Foundation Tournament golf tournament.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well I helped raise almost thirty five fifty thousand dollars in the auction. I'm the auctioneer, so I hear.
Speaker 1: You were not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm an auction.
Speaker 1: Good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I get people to dig in their pockets. I'm good at that.
Speaker 3: Dig in the pockets, get that well, we take the kind at Jingles, but we'd rather have the kind of folk like that, just what it is. And we raised over thirty thousand dollars and forty five minutes yesterday.
Speaker 2: I mean you got he got a lot of practice from his dad in the church. Yeah, you know, you know how it go. Hear that we take the kind of we love the you all heard of that a lot of time place around. Don't put no change in there.
Speaker 1: Yes, they still give like I didn't. I didn't been an auctional while do they still give like money? They give like checks and they get.
Speaker 2: Like, well now they can do it instantly.
Speaker 3: They can walk around with the credit card thing, or they can write a check and stuff like that. We had a couple of their jersey's self up close to four thousand dollars. Yes suff we was even selling just regular golf shirts. I talked to them and just buying them for three hundred dollars. So whatever he is selling, you need a salesman. And see, I think in my former life I used to be a daughter door a vacuum salesman in the early seventies.
Speaker 1: That's tough, living, man, It's rough. You got a vacuum I don't care, dude. I had a guy come buy my house the other day and you don't like they're selling pest control or whatever, and you know usually sow. You know, sir, we don't spray, Like my wife doesn't want to spray because you don't want to touch. Yeah, right, because we got dogs or something. And I was like, you know, so we don't. We don't. We've never used it. We've in our house for ten years. You don't spray for pests. Yeah, he goes, I appreciate that, sir, But what about this? And I was like, you know, no, I'm talking. This guy came back at me relentlessly five or six times.
Speaker 2: That's the skills.
Speaker 1: And I'm not I'm not exaggerating. It was like I was like, oh, no, thank you. Oh what about this? You showed me a picture or something about this. This is scary. You want to go? And I was like, he showed you.
Speaker 2: A praying man could be tech. They need his one. Yeah, they need one person. Man.
Speaker 4: I couldn't be a salesman because once you tell me no, you won't turn around and going to the But that's how they do.
Speaker 2: They knock on your door.
Speaker 3: They'd be like yeah, look like you need a roof, And I'd be like, no, this roof just got put on three years and they're like, oh okay, uh in five years you need to return, you need to replace the No, no, no, these are supposed to be thirty shit.
Speaker 1: If everyone they go like, well, you know, like with those big storms we've had, you might want us to go up and look and we'll replace it. And then they're like pulling ship off knowing not that we're saying anyone do anything untoward there, but of course.
Speaker 2: They thet salesman like this, like that's what we are in the in the United States. We know things a certain way, but then we just we choose not the liok it. We know what cost salesman. It's sleazy.
Speaker 3: I saying what you want to they're gonna say it you a car by any means necessity.
Speaker 1: We were just talking about Tannem was just talking with Jason about cars and how that is and anyway, that's that. But the reason I know we started talking about salesman for whatever because friends of salesman. But I really wanted to bring up your trip to Birmingham because your daughter got a scholarship offer them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did cap Berkeley for this weekend.
Speaker 1: Thinks she's you know, she she's getting there where she get that from that basketball?
Speaker 2: But she got it from my daddy Russell has Yeah. Yes, she's built exactly like me.
Speaker 1: We got video evidence fight no listen.
Speaker 3: I was exhausted, like he's a tank, all right, and sometimes like they say, you can't fight a tank with a dirt, boy, Now you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't do it.
Speaker 2: And then he was just leaning on men.
Speaker 3: He would literally take the ball out and hand it to me like an inch, Like who does that? Like this is a guy that felt like if I let his quickness come into this, I won't be to stop.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: He had a plan.
Speaker 1: You didn't. I did.
Speaker 3: Really, That's that's who you are. But that's what I gotta say this. Congratulations to Kendrick Ghosted and you're right. And of those guys they would take on the head coaching job and stone Bridge and Virginia, I can't Yeah, I can't wait to see that staff.
Speaker 2: You I'm not gonna do it. I'm not gonna like I'm not coaching. This is what I will do.
Speaker 3: I will train, I will help guys, and I will talk to him and I will mentor then coaching.
Speaker 2: Man, that's too much time, man.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of time. They give you a something. We're gonna give you a stip, but it's literally like seven dollars. It's like seven dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: I can't do that in low count. Yeah, you cannot leave while coaching in lowcot.
Speaker 1: It's it's one hundred percent true. All right, So just a reminder, we got that hawk outside dot com, that hawk outside, that hawk outside dot com. Yeah at gmail dot com. G maybe, Yeah, let's make sure that's clear, that hawk outside at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so we got we're getting out shirts, right.
Speaker 2: Fred, Yeah, free shirt, free shirts shirt.
Speaker 1: Twenty winners for a free shirt this is and then five money lucky winners for us, signed shirt by all three of us. Yeah, and this is the last opportunity. This is last time we're gonna do it. We're gonna make our selections here very soon, right, Jason, that's coming up making those selections. He's nodding, last chance. So make sure you get that those submissions in. You guys done a great job. And also that's a great spot to leave show ideas moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us. What you want us to talk about any subjects in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking about the mailman segment, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah we are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Mailman, the milkmandy, whoever it is, these jobs have all died.
Speaker 2: Preacher Man by the way, you know it was Man. Yeah, yeah, whatever anything and with Man, no doubt.
Speaker 1: And then we got a live show coming up right on June fourteenth. We're finalizing the location now, but make sure you guys keep an eye out for that. We're going to kind of determine the best spot to get that done and hopefully you guys come out and support us for the live event. That's pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: No, it's going to be very exciting.
Speaker 1: I can Is it like at a bar you think, or like an auditorium?
Speaker 2: I think it should be at a bar. You need alcohol flowing? Where you went to the spot that will be doing that?
Speaker 1: Right? No?
Speaker 2: No, we we don't know. Yeah, we don't know.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, finally, everyone calm down.
Speaker 2: Yeah everyone, we haven't figured it out. I heard some names and I gotta look, it's all good. Yeah, we're in talks. We negotiate, feel very we're at the we're at the five yard line.
Speaker 1: You just got to punch it in sometimes handed off. Oh no, no is a game man, She's finished in. That drive can be really tough, Yeah, really really tough.
Speaker 2: So depending on who you haven't running back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, Christie watched some yesterday, just watching it coming up the highway.
Speaker 2: We're listening to it.
Speaker 1: You's doing driving the car like I do a.
Speaker 3: Good like when I'm driving long distance. I don't listen to music. I don't listen to sports talk. I listened to YouTube breakdowns, nerdy stuff. And then I happen to come pile as a gang clip and I We're watching the two thousand and one game Panthers against Washington at the time, and the old Baya cast Stephen Davis was running it all down heels man.
Speaker 1: It does help having a big guy down there inside the five yard line, all right. So that's it. So it makes sure you come out, stay tuned to all of our content for that live event. The time that the date is June fourteenth, the time to be determined, yes, location to be determined, So you have to stay tuned to find out on all that stuff is how do So let's stay stay with it all right now in Commander's news. We've got some kind of exciting news this I was. The more research we did for this show, the more excited I got about this. We have a new senior VP of Football off Operations, Brandon Sosa.
Speaker 2: Sosna is sona, sona, sona.
Speaker 1: You're bad with pronunciations on I'm bad.
Speaker 2: I'm worth too, but I've heard.
Speaker 1: So we'll call him Brandon fro.
Speaker 2: Jason put whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So basically he is the new Senior VP of Football Operations. But man, he has a crazy crazy resume but also crazy like job description at the moment. So first off, he reports directly JP. He's the lead contract negotiator. He oversees not only analytics but also health and performance and also football administration. He's the liaison to business operations get their stadium bill, and he's got a major role in roster, construction, salary, cap and the CBA. Heude's thirty one years old. Yeah, like, and that just seems like he's got his hand in everything.
Speaker 2: That seems like he's a nerd.
Speaker 3: And yeah, this is what I that's what I like. And by the way, rhythme is a French word. By the way, back to me right at.
Speaker 1: The end of the day. I think, no, he's.
Speaker 3: So, he's one of these He's one of these brainy exit I'm just so happy, man, Like they're not cutting any corners. Like you look at what we had in the front office and just people taking on like nine and ten.
Speaker 2: Jobs and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: I could just wonder how scratch for their job as being for the last ten to fifteen years. And now we got people in here to do certain things and people overlapping each other, yah doing these things. And I think that chicken balance system is gonna help us out in the long run. And we're cherry picking from some of the best franchises in the league, and we're promoting these guys.
Speaker 2: That's the way things are supposed to be.
Speaker 4: I just think, you know, it's a brilliant way these guys have been doing things, you know what I mean, if you really sit back and watch, I guess you could say the Harrison Crew, Harrison Company when it comes to just everybody you know who putting their hands into this party and is stirring it up and making sure that they get the right guys for the right job.
Speaker 2: I mean for each and every job. It's very strategic and cutting.
Speaker 4: They come out from a guy you're pulling from other teams that was using these guys and probably sitting in the situation right now.
Speaker 2: We're they hate to have this loss on it. They got to replace. Yeah, you know what I mean. So I'm like I said, I can't say it anymore.
Speaker 4: I'm ecstatic just to see how this thing really comes to you know, I guess bruition, you know what I mean when it comes to all the different things that they have to do that we never think about or talk about.
Speaker 2: We just play ball here.
Speaker 4: We never knew how important a guy like this meant to the team, you know what I'm saying. Or further, you know, So when I heard the resume, you know, I briefly listened to a couple of people who talk about him coming over here and how Detroit is going to miss him, and how some of the other places that he's been things that he'd done well, you know, I was geeked about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think like you guys both hit the nail on the head there, like getting good people to fill important positions in your organizations, and he's got a history of success and taking on a lot of responsibility. I read off like ten things he's going to be responsible for. But I think when you look at his resume, right with the Cleveland Browns, he was a salary cap and contract analysts. In twenty eighteen, he goes back to Cincinnati, which was a alma mater. He's the chief revenue officer there, right. And he goes to usc and he's the executive senior Associate Athletic Director and chief of staff, so he's responsible. He's not the athletic director, but he's responsible for all of the athletic program. And then he goes to the Detroit Lions and is the senior contract negotiator there, right. And then he comes here and has that same title in addition to some other responsibilities. So he's a young dude. He's very hungry, very experienced, very smart and he and the other thing that I love about it is he's got like a diversity of experience according to this resume, and he's handled different responsibilities and seem to handle them very well. And then you pair that with his experience in Detroit and the and the that the roster construction that they went through there, because I mean, we talked about rosters that get you.
Speaker 3: They own guy, they got their own type guys with their own vigion, and let's just look through these stuff and let's just fine comb these things.
Speaker 2: University of Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: This is when they had danz Manrita South Gardiner, Kobe Bryant, Audi does. I'm talking about probably seventeen eighteen pros off in his time. It would be called the Golden era of Cincinnati football. They made the playoffs that year, they got blew out, but they made the playoffs the year hence go to the Cleveland Browns. He left the Cleveland Browns in a better condition than he found the Cleveland Browns. I'm seeing that with everybody that I'm straking off of. He left them all in a better condition than he left USC. Not only did he get them Lincoln Riley, he comes back, turn around and get them put into Big ten.
Speaker 2: And we know how important that is.
Speaker 3: With the PAC twelve signing with the c W with a three dollars TV contract, they tell you what's going on there.
Speaker 2: So now that tells me he has future visions. No, he can see, Hey, I know he can see.
Speaker 1: You just got a good feel for the dollars and sons, yea, which is what his new role.
Speaker 2: That's the most important all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he goes to Detroit, and Detroit one of the top six teams to win the Super Bowl right now, left their roster in a better situation than he found it.
Speaker 2: So his track records tells me he blows. He glows up everywhere go. You know, how to handle money, he knows somehow his math is mathing. Boy, he does. He does well behind those numbers.
Speaker 4: So, like I said, that's the first thing I saw when I when I saw the things that he's done, and it all pertained to the dollar and just getting things around here, you know, organizing and flowing the right way we gott I go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think the other thing is like when you look at like an important position, you know, like when I was with the Atlanta anytime I negotiate a new contract, you negotiate with the lead negotiating to the organization. And having a guy in that role who understands contract value, your role in the organization and what they will or will not spend on you, and position a position of value is extremely important because I think about, oh, man, that that's an overpay, that that's he overpaid. That's what he's doing. That's his job. So hopefully he's shown. He showed a history of the dollars and cents of the experience, and I just think it's a again. You got to see him in this new role and see how it works here. But in terms of on paper resumes, just like Dan Quinn, just like Adam Peters, this guy has the resume they make you say, man, he's the right guy for the job and can handle all this responsibility. Also, Nicki Javala reported that David Blackburn will be the Director of Player Personnel. That is unofficial at the moment, but once that is finalized, we'll talk about that. That makes you stay tuned to get our thoughts on whoever that the final version of the director of Player Personnel is. But obviously we're very excited about Brandon and we're looking forward to see what he does here with this organization.
Speaker 2: We will, we promise we will get your last name correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna give it one more time because I did call it. It's not yeah, it's senate.
Speaker 2: We know we didn't get that right, So I apologize him.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I wish it was not what you want to say. Not so bad.
Speaker 2: That's a football name.
Speaker 1: It's so funny, like this is a little bit appeal behind the curtain, like you get in these like little ruts mentally with names, and I'll stop saying a name. I don't know how to say it.
Speaker 2: Not because he said enough. I didn't even think about let me not.
Speaker 1: So yeah, all right, so that's out of the big news. We're really excited to see how that and that's more of like in terms of judging success, that seems like it will be a long term thing, but we're can't wait to see what that looks like. Also, in other news, we have not talked about the schedule release because before on our last show we kind of said, oh, these are some games we have highlighted circle we wouldn't have the final schedule release. So let's just talk about this super high level as a player, do we care? Yeah, you said you did on the show, so like I do at bit because circling game.
Speaker 3: Think about it, all right, you're gonna always circle the game. Let's say at Santana playing the Dolphins. That's a home game for him. Now I know it feels like away game for him, but his family gonna be there ramping, all right, So you circled that game.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's just say I got a beef with a certain.
Speaker 3: Football player, I like Steve Smith. I'm circlingly the Panthers game. If I got the rivalry of the Cowboys. Of course that games are automatically circle, so I think in particular situations, one on one, it's some intimate was inside of that. Let's just say I get to play against the Vikings that I just left, I'm circling that game.
Speaker 1: But you do that now? Are you to do that the week before the game? No? I would do that, but before the season started with I would be like, like you got it on your wall and see circle the game.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm circling that game. Because they didn't believe in me. No, it's something like like some channel playing the Jets. He like, you know, just y'all ain't do no, y'all drafted me. It's all good, but they go with the butt comes in. But I'm finna show y'all two hundred yard. I'm gonna give it to you. Did you feel what I tell you? I did everything opposite?
Speaker 4: Then you know you got like you take a special person to be wired that way like and I and you can't knock them for being so a lot of guys like this, especially playing this sport, A lot of guys take things person very. But I don't take stuff personal because it interferes with my game.
Speaker 2: I'm saying. But if I'm a guy that plays with that kind of that that fees my game, then I'm want to be personal. I don't feed off of that.
Speaker 4: I feed off of just being clear minded going out there handling it as another game. So I wouldn't do none of that stuff that Fred just said. You know, I would not even look at me like I told you we was to get schedules. I didn't want to see him. I'm that superstitious.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't somebody start talking about all in week five, I go walk.
Speaker 1: The other way.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear it.
Speaker 1: I want to focus.
Speaker 4: I just want to know when you say, when we go to training camp, we got so and so on September first, so September eleven.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 4: I'm worried about that first game because I want to be zoned and worried about them.
Speaker 2: And then once things get flown.
Speaker 4: And you know, you see it because you see the board everywhere. I don't want to get too far ahead. Of myself, because we all.
Speaker 2: Are wired like that.
Speaker 4: We have beefs in our own little mind, or have things we want to do against teams that may felt, you know, a certain way about us, or we you know, have someone finished business with them. But I don't want to put that into my way of getting ready for my season.
Speaker 2: But it when I always just beefs. I can remember my rookie year and we were going to play the forty.
Speaker 3: Nine ers, like the third game, and I'm like, I finally get to check Jerry right, I've been dreaming about this my O.
Speaker 2: It was' you.
Speaker 3: Know what, I feel so bad that I feel so bad that I did the old man like that.
Speaker 1: I feel so bad.
Speaker 3: No, he was actually playing. Actually we played the forty nine and Stokes he was gone.
Speaker 2: He was right, he was at the Oakland.
Speaker 3: So I got to play him and Tim Brown, I mean Tim and Tim Brown, which I like, we beating up on the old folks home. So I played against older right, I played against dirty Rice. I didn't play against you know, fresh out Lone Grain. I ain't playing against Loan against San Francisco, Yeah, long Grain, right, But it was a dream, And then I also think about it.
Speaker 2: A dude coming in and lead young.
Speaker 3: Oh we got the vicers this year. Randy Mouse is the first thing coming to your mind. I got Randy, I got Chris Carter. So yeah, I think you open for the challenges, but now you get to see, okay, this is the day these challenges gonna be on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, I knew I was one of those guys that if I allowed whatever beef I got with you, it'll overtake me.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, It would like you know, I'll take you out your game, bingo.
Speaker 4: I'm not a guy like I allowed whatever it goes on in the game to affect me as that moment.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I say, Fanswains, I'm in the game and you yapping, I ain't gonna yap back. I'm gonna let you yap because I know all I gotta do is perform. You see what I'm saying, And when I perform that that speaks louder.
Speaker 2: Than me yapping.
Speaker 4: Now if I yap, if I get into a yapping contest with you, you're gonna win because that's what you do. You're trying to do that and make sure I get off my game. So I used to laugh at guys. And I remember it gets to like my fourth or fifth year, I see a guy in the off season. Dude came to me and saying, I can't even be mad at you, Bro, you grinned at me, and then with for one hundred he said, you're the same way I was all built to say, grant at me, bro, And I was like, what I'm grinding at me for?
Speaker 2: And I say, bro, because I know when I the way I get back at you. You see in the back of my damn jersey. You know what I'm saying. And so I'm not gonna get into that match.
Speaker 4: So but I also know me too that if I do start looking, I'm gonna just go to think about I'm trying me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And now I'm out my game already because I'm I'm really you emotionally spent. Well, I'm thinking about what.
Speaker 4: I remember this moment, you know what I mean. So that's why I try to make sure I just stay away from all that.
Speaker 2: Like smooth. I laughed nice of him and see him and Steve Smith go at it with words.
Speaker 4: Across the I said, boy, them boys built different, especially Chad, Chad, you since since stuff to start his list, man, you want to talk about schedule watching, Chad had a list of all seventeen dB He went on to talk about the top.
Speaker 3: DB's on his team, and he's just trying to cross us out. And he was like, you know, I got you this week, called me the week before the game, I got you this. We gotta say, no, you know, I got you this week. So at the end of the day, I see you on Sunday and we had that battle. Now, like you can't scratch me out because you had as many of us against me as a dead man.
Speaker 1: So I got a question. This is just came to me right now. Why is it that receiversvs. Receivers and corners are such devus. It's like, get away from the ball. The more it becomes about me, me, me, even like tight End starts staying up, it's like, oh no, Like what's going on with that? Like do you know? I mean they get the ball lot, But it's like, and you.
Speaker 3: Gotta have it in somewhat insane personality to be out there on their freeway constantly baling these dudes, and we gotta do.
Speaker 2: Think about this.
Speaker 3: If I coad you out and say this is a position you play. You got to go backwards with the fastest at least in the world.
Speaker 1: Do forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta be a little insane to be really at you and the talking it's a way to psyche yourself out almost because you got to think about it. Cornerback is a position of imperfection. We're going to get beat. It ain't no if it ain't no win, it's you're going to get beat. Now, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: But offensive lineman, man, they have a very similar situation. They don't talk right, yeah.
Speaker 2: But they also don't get singled out like to get beat.
Speaker 4: See you understand some defensive backs and I can't speak for safeties, but they're in that same I guess you can say ballpark when it comes to the corners and the receiver there are they like basketball players when it comes to our sport, meaning meaning when it looks they're individually battling all day, one on one.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying, Like, regardless of what the coverage is, I see you, you see me? Yeah, Rather I.
Speaker 4: Get the ball now if I beat you, we counted against what I'm saying, it's a it's it's.
Speaker 2: A check, it's got you got it. I got so. I could look at him all day while I was tean thread up. If I ain't had.
Speaker 4: I he was open most so at the end of the day, we play individual sport amongst a bunch of guys on the team.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So me personally, I couldn't answer the question more than what I just answered because I never saw myself in that light.
Speaker 2: But I never tried to put myself.
Speaker 1: Inside you, never like talked you always a dude. You had your little celebration.
Speaker 2: Get it wrong, That's what I say. That's after the that's after I don'neal what I had to do when I do my job. Can't tell me how to celebrate. You see what I'm saying. I have a different one. I'm going to spend the You know, I told you ill. I was watching film coming up the highway.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm having a hard time with this. Listen, I.
Speaker 3: Genuinely listened to it. Right, I'm watching Santanna. I don't know how I got to Santawn and I started noticing so every time he scored in college, especially when he first got in the league, when he crossed the end zone.
Speaker 2: He was gonna unbutton his up. He's gonna unbutton that. He had got to a point where he he had to think about it.
Speaker 1: I seen him.
Speaker 2: Somebody was tackling him going across the line.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: He noticed that. I was like, what that was?
Speaker 4: That was part of my celebration that it was hit. Like people will get enamored with the bass bend. I laughed about that because I spent. I was spending the ball since I was Jay high. I remember I got a penalty in college. You know they come out, you know how they doing the league, how the refs come out and stuff. So in college, my first game back after my broke jaw, we're playing Cincinnati Bearcats.
Speaker 2: I spend the ball and they went to.
Speaker 4: Time We went to UH to a time out, you know how you get a break and when it coming things came back and say the ball still spinding from sixty and like it's crazy. The first meeting me had going into the next season, the officials told me, hey, you can't do this no more, really, And I'm like what, I grew up watching this guy spend the ball, that guy spinning ball, and.
Speaker 2: Now you you point me out for spending the football. So my coach told me tenam spent for every catch until you score, spend the ball. So you know, I would have to wait to score. But that was a touchdown. They told me I couldn't do it.
Speaker 4: But besides the spending the ball thing, I was always that was like something that was like a swag thing. It's not that that button off because that's a Miami thing.
Speaker 2: A job done. Yeah, kind of sick. But I didn't know that you would notice that. I no, I just like it never failed, Like I like, let me look, I'm gonna check. I checked out.
Speaker 1: I said, you were watching, now you're talking.
Speaker 2: I would like, let me check.
Speaker 3: So I went back the team every touchdown from CODs and he did it every time.
Speaker 2: Same.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always thought it was because the receivers and corners run camera a lot, so they had to do something, you know what I'm saying now.
Speaker 2: We also we almost independent contractors.
Speaker 3: We had the same battery as y'all, but we got internal wars going on outside.
Speaker 2: In our wars, I magnified, you know, like you can.
Speaker 3: You can have a good battery in the trenches and they won't talk about it till two weeks later, I'm gonna get dogged that day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I used to always do and now I know we want to we're gonna move on. But my other thing I used to do is just tapping, you know what I mean. I feel like that was just I feel like so many people was doing that haigh to change. I'm like, damn everybody doing the tap to the chest and yet better guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I was thinking about the Thanksgiving game in twenty twelve and I remember you getting getting into it with a dB after you score a touchdown. I no remember how to grab you.
Speaker 2: It was like you grabbed me.
Speaker 4: That was that was That was Pierre's touchdown and you were talking and that was a guy. Him and Pierre was going at it, but he pushed Pierre hard to the ground. So I was just defending my guy. You know, I'm I'm not I'm not one of those guys that liked to get into those you know. I guess you say contests, but when you and the heat of battle, man so much goes on. Man, you just react.
Speaker 1: You're a pure man, not dudee.
Speaker 2: I played Er when he was in the Bull Listen.
Speaker 1: Is he like that even when he was young.
Speaker 2: You know, some somewhere receivers don't take pride in.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 3: I was watching film on Pierre. I said, he actually blocking people to hurt them against He's trying to tire you out like so, because you know he could easily just get in front of you, shield you block. You know, he is literally he's trying to bury you and he's trying to hurt something on you.
Speaker 2: So when you have to check him.
Speaker 3: He was already hard to tackle with me, honest like, he one of the few big guys to just give me the ball quick.
Speaker 2: I keep running him and kwombole anybody built like.
Speaker 4: That took that, took it out of mind. I was going to say he had that and kwam bolting effect to me faster than an kwan. But they're so big, you know, they can bully guys outside and then they're gonna beat you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and beat you de boy just out you know, out route, you know, rout you up or whatever. But not hands. That was a good guy.
Speaker 1: I love the face.
Speaker 4: I got a chance to play with him because I watched him play with Reggie and I remember he came over here. I remember he said something to me. It was funny He was like, yeah, boy, you're different from Reggie.
Speaker 2: That's why I laughed.
Speaker 4: I say, we know everybody else he said, boy it was boy was like you want Reggie, want that ball?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean at that time because Marvin's gone, yeahge like this, this gotta be all me.
Speaker 4: But but Pierre had his last thing the year that he came here. The year before he came here, that was his best season over there in Indie. And I think he he out. I don't know if he had more I don't know if he caught Reggie or had more y. He had a great season.
Speaker 1: That's something that I think people need to do more now on today's game. It's like, sure, just try to wear that dude out. I used to do like blocking like people was like, why did you finish so much? Because I know I'm in a little bit better shape. And like this guy who's really talented, if I can get him on the ground a couple of times, get that jersey dirty, he gets a little I heard it does.
Speaker 3: And now I guess what, you catch that slint and I'm trying to tack you and I slide down your bio.
Speaker 2: You know what, I hate it?
Speaker 4: And this for them dbs that did it to me, so they do just so happened to listen to our part. I remember having a guy that talked messed about me. He wouldn't said to.
Speaker 2: Me personally, said it to somebody else. And I get in the game with him. You know how you say you have people circle. Yeah, he was boy. I knew he was playing that team. I didn't really care about it. I say, if he on that team at the time we get there, I'm gonna get it. I won't. I'm gonna I'm gonna block him. I'm gonna out round him.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna show him every play while you don't speak my name up like that in bank and Bro.
Speaker 2: When I say I got there, we was in.
Speaker 4: It was I was backside like I was going to get a stay your turnaround smart, I'm.
Speaker 2: Talking, what's up?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 1: You're good? Want to give me?
Speaker 4: You know the patter in the back all right? Not a family boy, Ain't no family boy. It's just every play I was doing something at him. So now I'm front side. I'm blocking good now man, he goneat he down, bir stopped telling me, I'm good. This is an all day thing. This is no negotiat, but they got to the point to where I saw I said, now I got him. He now I knew it was just talk, So now I got you want me my friend. So by the time I've had six and seven catches on him, he's so funny helping me about the ground. I said, you took his soul out because at that point you said something that he didn't even know. He cut me, and I was like, I want to tried me. So I was waiting for him. I didn't say nothing back. I didn't want to send no messages bas So I'm gona see him when I see him.
Speaker 3: That you you remember David Boston, right, yea, the evil man, David Boss.
Speaker 2: If y'all know, he was six three, like two hundred and fifty pounds.
Speaker 3: Social you have to say then, when I told him before the game, I was like, humans don't grow this beg and he he looked at me.
Speaker 2: He had these red contexts context I like, is you the damn Are you trying to pretend to be the devil.
Speaker 3: He's like, no, I'm one the damn devil, and I get They tossed the sweep the first play. He cut me, like they play ain't even on the outside. I'm trying to, you know, take my break it. He cut me from the back. Oh my god, I said, dude, don't nobody to do that.
Speaker 2: He said, I do it. I'm gonna do it for foe. Man, I got some blocking battle.
Speaker 1: What didn't do?
Speaker 2: I like, you wasn't winning that back with him? Too strong body building man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was sick, dude, He's he's a six dude. Anyway, I should have said we should get back to the schedule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I had a fan.
Speaker 5: As a fan, I gotta jump and ask a question. Have you ever Fred? I know you've probably been on the opposite side of this batanna. Have you ever had somebody trash talking you during the game and then they just say something that's like funny and you're like, I should be mad at you.
Speaker 1: But that was pretty good.
Speaker 4: You know, it's so crazy appropriate before you said no, But so I'm gonna ask you the question first. No, I never had anybody, but I got a little I guess you said. I got to say a little nugget from a from a teammate that told me, Hey, man, I don't know if you do this, but you know what I do is going to media Guide and I read what they're who their family members are, and I get the girlfriend name and I say the girlfriend name, and.
Speaker 2: Bro, I swear to god, I never used it.
Speaker 4: But there was a guy that got on my nerves in college and he went to saying something before the game, like he talked.
Speaker 2: He didn't get up my nerve when it came to us playing. It's just he talks.
Speaker 4: So I was like, man, hey, how Felicia, if you're talking about seeing somebody just like hard almost leave their chesty.
Speaker 2: Me, how you know, Felicia, Hey, hey check this out. No, bro, we'll talk later, we'll talk.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about and it's a rap that's talking about like and I didn't know who the girl was. I didn't know who how much, But sixty minutes this man asked me about that.
Speaker 2: Girl out his game.
Speaker 1: Hey live.
Speaker 2: That's what I did in college with this dot com. That's what I told you.
Speaker 3: I supposed to be on a Twitter not even months swoopsm dot com. I gained information from the student body and I found out girlfriends sisters, and I weaponized it.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about to the team. I'm glad no one ever used that to you.
Speaker 4: Know, use that me because I could just imagine like I felt bad after I said it.
Speaker 2: But that was the other guy too. He was like, man, this guy always talking.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say somebody's mama, or I'm gonna say somebody's check.
Speaker 1: I saw I saw a Naws do that once, and uh, it was just the guy's face was just like he was like kind of all up in his face. And I said something about his old lady and then it was just like it was over.
Speaker 2: And I just was like, they go, they go, Dorman on you. I've done it minute time.
Speaker 1: That's tough.
Speaker 2: It's like whatever I can do to rattle you.
Speaker 1: Apparently that works pretty well. It does, all right. So the other thing, back to schedule. I know we took a little digression there, but that's always fun.
Speaker 2: We didn't really care about the schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, late by again this time? Do we care? Is that a big deal.
Speaker 2: I'm just tired of it.
Speaker 3: I'm just tired of because it seemed like this, let's sit there to watch the team up for Fie. Let's get him a buy in week seventeen, Like no, man, I wish that the bye was week seven, eight, nine, ten, something that can get these guys.
Speaker 1: I need it.
Speaker 4: I need a break, Let me get away. I think I don't really get too caught up into it. I feel like now that we cover the team, it's more to talk about. As a player, you kind of you notice it and you be like, damn what you look at and and say, hey, bright side is if I can make it to this, you know what I mean? I got, But you don't want to be on the road, you know what I mean. That's the only thing about it, Like, if you make it to that point, you're not hoping that you're doing bad, but you're hoping I.
Speaker 2: Need a break. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But I don't want to see the team flourishing at the top of that, you know, at the peak of their game, everything is clicking, and then they say here's the bye week, because that could be detrimentaly, you know what I mean. So hopefully it works out well.
Speaker 3: So the question is, also I think that by comes after a Thursday night game, two days, two.
Speaker 1: Weeks after two weeks afterwards game is I think we could eleven And.
Speaker 2: So they're trying to say that that Thursday night, so they extended.
Speaker 1: But last year ear Last year, the Commanders had a I think it was the Thursday night game, week eight, which makes more sense because it's kind of right smack dab in the middle. You get that little bye week there, so it's a little bit different schedule. All their breaks kind of come later in the season.
Speaker 4: I think it'd be interesting also just how the coaches, you know, notice what's going on with that, and just say how they kind of conduct things throughout the week, you know, each and every week.
Speaker 1: Said, but I'm really glad you about that point about the late bye, because I remember being like we had a late bye. I forget we had this conversation was like two thousand and third, whatever, thousand and two whatever. I was playing pretty good and I didn't want to leave. I was like I was in like I was in like a groove, yeah, saying I understood my week was set, and I was like, let's just play the rest of the season.
Speaker 4: Speaking of that, before we move on, what you can do as a player. I did this before, especially with the Jets. I was a young pup. We had a late by, and I'm just starting to feel like I'm a part of the team now, Like I it took me a while, I got hurried out the gate. So I'm starting to feel myself. When everybody left, I stay right there. I came back to Price, I came to the facility every day. I caught passes from Chad Pennington and like we did things individually that when we went the next week, I scored my first touchdown. So I'm like, look, that's by I took advantage of it by staying in town and just putting the work in.
Speaker 2: And I want I like the fact that.
Speaker 3: I don't think I ever in my whole career took a vacation on the bath. I don't think I ever left out doing it. I started doing it, I just never did it.
Speaker 2: Like I just I feel like I know me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if I get in a certain mode, it's over. When I showed back up, I got a Sam brenro on it like, smook, we got weeks.
Speaker 2: No, No, you might not show back up.
Speaker 3: That's what's gonna happen. They might be looking for you. I'm like, no, don't you do that to yourself. So I would just shield smart.
Speaker 1: The other thing I get a lot when we're talking schedule released is predicting games. Yeah, and I think that is maybe, Like it's what I'm saying. It's a fun thing to do with sockymore run, but you can't do it. It's so early in the offseason to predict these games, like everyone's like, who's gonna win Week six against.
Speaker 2: We don't know who's even played. Like, you know, I was so disgusted with us saying we was gonna be ten and seven last week.
Speaker 1: Don't be discussed Like no, I was discussed.
Speaker 4: Because that was all of us together and it was about seven mold losses. I wanted to give us, you know what I mean, Like I'm just being real, like because you really.
Speaker 2: Don't know, so I won't them top prove me wrong, you know what I mean. I'm just talking. But we don't know. We don't know.
Speaker 3: We might have played the game, but every season is different, every game is different, and do teams change and.
Speaker 2: Fluctuate by quarters? That's what I say, because you gotta.
Speaker 1: Go every four games it's a new team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just it's just one of those things where it don't matter to us when game at a time.
Speaker 1: Producergation did a great job, Like think about this last week Week one we played there as on our Cardinals yeah. Last year Josha Yeah, Josh Jobs was starting. Yeah, he was even on the team later in the year, right, the Giants past or not? Yeah, Giants week seven, Tyrod Taylor a little surprised there, and then the Giants week eleven. Who else, Tommy DeVito that was not on my big go card. So when people say people like tell you, tell me to be those late games in the year, it's like, I don't even know who's gonna be playing. We don't know.
Speaker 3: Spencer Rattler might be quarterbacking for the Cowboys week seventeen.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 1: And a lot of these teams have a they've got new peak players, yeah, but being probably more importantly and probably should be A they have new coordinators. Yes, offensive and defensive coordinators. And as we've seen over the last probably five or six years in the NFL, those coordinators drastically impact the effectiveness. Hey do they do?
Speaker 2: So I think it's always good for the sake of conversation. You know, Bob Shop, He's great, good Biba Shop.
Speaker 4: Because if because I get caught up in the whole, like I got friends that would call me ready to debate, and they know I'm not a debater, I'm like, Bro, I don' want it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Bro, And they be like thinking that. I'm just a guy that thought too, because Tanny, you played in the league, you know this. I still don't know. What do you think about this? I don't know what do you mean? What I think about it? And it's just funny, so I think now.
Speaker 4: So just having this platform and us having this opportunities to kind of chime in on some of this stuff, it's interesting just to see our take or here our take. But Bro, as a player, if someone would have said that and I'm watching that show, I'm like, they get.
Speaker 2: Off the damn screen. You don't know the hell you're talking about because you really don't know. But one is full of optimism and one is full of because a lot of.
Speaker 3: Times we bury it in the ground again. So that's why when we get these predictions, everybody wants to look on the bright side, like a cup half full, not cup half.
Speaker 4: I always got to kick out of the person that told us or said that I wasn't gonna do something.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: That was what you like that?
Speaker 4: When I heard that, I'm like, okay, bingo, Yeah, I can turn the TV off now, I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to, I don't go to I don't gotta be told anything else.
Speaker 3: And then imagine this world podcasters. Imagine people getting on TV and talking about you at your job and say, you know what, Cindy, Oh my gosh, I think we're gonna trade her to IBM. We'll trade her to IBM next. As matter of fact, her skills are starting to deplete.
Speaker 1: My dad. I used to tell my dad this, like, imagine you come in, you had a bad game, not game, tough game on Sunday Monday. You come in, they got a bunch of tight ends working out. Imagine you've got a bunch of people like that in your job, you know.
Speaker 3: Maybe not come in and all of a sudden, take Cody is sitting in the lobby.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, so that's how But see, that's the thing about it. Folks fail to realize.
Speaker 4: And that's one of the things about our life, you know, and especially just me my position. I go, I get drafted, I mean I get traded here in two thousand and five, have the season of all seasons, one of my best seasons, and then the next next year they bring in two other guys that I know, Rendu l and Brandan Lloyd, and paying the same.
Speaker 2: Money in there, like we are not the same.
Speaker 1: What the hell? I didn't know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So if you're if you're wired to worry about that, you're not fit for this. I literally had to be like, all right, come on, bring it. You know what I'm saying. So that's every year.
Speaker 4: That's why I never looked at the you know, our draft stuff when I was playing this game.
Speaker 2: I didn't know who we drafted and what you thinking about this guy? Who is that y'all just drafted the first round? I see him in practice? I don't know, Oh yeah, this is me. I'm a draft guy, so I pretty much knew everybody day we drafted.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the schedule. If you want to see our kind of full thoughts, our predictions, all that kind of stuff, make sure you check out the schedule Elease special on the Commander's YouTube page. And now let's talk about something that I'm excited to talk about because I think it's important is OTAs. Let's talk about OTAs. So let's just talk about the off season schedule. So after two thousand and eleven, with the new CBA. They basically changed the off season structure. So there's Phase one, which is just like lifting weights. You can meet with your coaches, install and there's no field time. That's what the meetings are, right. It's kind of laying the foundation for the end of Phase two, which is you can lift and run, but now there's meeting time with the coaches and you have an hour limit in the building. Now. Phase three is OTAs, which is actual practice, own field practice, right, and practice from when we did OTAs has changed pretty dramatically. It basically used to be like a full speed practice, but you just had helmets on, and when I first got in the league, we wore past Yeah, so obviously that's changed completely now because now they're out there for an hour and fifteen minutes and they're getting good work done. I'm not smirching that anyway, but it just the structure is a little bit different. However, the thing I wanted to talk about is that's all football time. They're installing the offense. So do you guys remember that from your time here and kind of what is an install and how does that go?
Speaker 4: You know, And just to chime in a little bit, yeah, I was throwed off when I saw that practice, how different it was from practice the other day I was watching.
Speaker 2: I'm like, we ain't gonna break up individually and do some of you And then it was over. I'm like, oh, something going on. Yeah, it's different.
Speaker 4: But just to get back to what you asked, I had to deal with a lot of different offenses. So this time of the year was always It played an integral part of my preparation for the season. Like I really had to dive in and say, okay, new offense, how are you going to take on this?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: So I was, man, this is what I used to enjoy coming here, to put my time in and get home and get to my couch to watch TV. Because I know when I get here it's all work. It's all getting used to something new. And even if I didn't know it, even if it was us, it wasn't new. I want to learn something else about the offense, you know what I mean. Like I told you, I always share with you guys that I was more worried about myself than anybody else. But once I had me down, now I'm gonna dive in to see what Logan got to do. Now I'm a dive in and see what CP do in the backfield or whoever it may be. So I pay you close attention to these times this time of year because I feel like you can get ahead of the curve by getting all that information.
Speaker 2: In right now.
Speaker 3: Listen, I played for so many different coordinators and head coaches that I had to be here for OTA because I had to learn the whole new defense year in and year out. And the scary thing about new coaches is do I fit they scheme?
Speaker 2: That's always your thing.
Speaker 3: So once I found out who my coordinators is, I remember marvel Lewis, we hired him, I went write, start watching.
Speaker 2: I want to see what was they doing in Baltimore? What were they doing here? What were they doing to see? Do I fit they scheme? Hell.
Speaker 3: The only time that I almost felt like I didn't is when we signed Mike Tomlin when I was in Minnesota. Him is our defensive coordinator, and I knew I feel to play a majority of Cover two, which I could play Cover two, but hey, I like to play man and man.
Speaker 2: I like responsibility.
Speaker 3: So all that off season I tried to pack on a couple of pounds because I know I'm now part of the run front. But I also said, you know what, let me get used to like literally get my jam down pack.
Speaker 4: Like you know what my goal was too, And I'm glad you brought that up. Talking about fitting a scheme like I had a thing. And it's crazy as I think about announcer more so than I did back then when I was younger or when I was playing, I wanted to say I had a successful season with every coach and like you know, you want to put them all together every year you want to have a successful season. But I looked at success in my position was don't get me wrong, if you had a great If you had a good year by just being productive leading your team, that's good. Successful me was like man thousand yards Pro Bowl, you know what I mean, being a being a contender, you know, being a guy that could have you know been in there, you know, got to the Pro Bowl or you know, got into the playoffs. And I look at it, so the jests I had herm that was that was one head coach here. I had Gibbs, first had Zor, then I ended up having Mic and I had Jay to leave out the door. Jay was the only guy I really didn't play for that was my last year he I was J came and and I left the next year. But all those other four coaches, I was putting up numbers in every different office, and you know, you just brought something back to mine. I never looked at the offenses as I couldn't be successful in them. I just wanted to get into it and fire your and find my niche like, what is it going that I'm going.
Speaker 2: To be able to do well here?
Speaker 4: And it's crazy because the I guess I could say the later in my years, which I learned this in college. Me and Reggie used to switch positions all the time just to trick guys who who you know, who's going to be basically diving in Santana's going to be Z or he's going to be in the slot. I can play every position if they allowed me to, you know what I mean, certain offensive schemes you here. But Mike started letting me play every position, and you know, Coach Gibbs had me everywhere.
Speaker 2: He didn't care. Yeah, New York had me just at Z, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So you know that's what I always found a success in and like just making sure that no matter who offense it is, coming in here, no matter what coach, I want to have a great year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And yeah, just to kind of give some more like those are great stories, but you give some more like kind of specific context. So like in phase one, you're probably talking about huddle, you're talking about cadence, you're talking about kind of offensive, high level philosophy. Phase two you might actually start putting in some places because you're on the field. You're gonna do routes on there, You're gonna do kind of situational football. Probably installed two minutes, and then phase three you're probably on like your fourth and fifth install by then, right, Which makes it tough for the rookies to come in because they got to catch up with everything.
Speaker 3: But I don't think it's gonna make it tough for them because of them divided sal I'm on sale. I'm like we talked about it. He's not doing one on ones like I used to love one on ones.
Speaker 1: We received those are that minichemra.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but I also understand that they ain't real, Like it's so not real, Like it ain't no feel that me and town are gonna get on and it's just meet him in the quarterback.
Speaker 2: He got a hundred yards the work. It's almost impossible to get a lot from that.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, the more team stuff they do, I think, the more mental reps did these younger guys get. And I think then what they did, I think they took some of the physicality out and say, let's go more mental so to make sure these guys got a mental chance when in my day they weren't caring about your mental chance.
Speaker 2: Your mental chance was your responsibility.
Speaker 1: It was yeah, like and then it was way more physical too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: So it's been fun to go watch the dueling seven on seven practices. That's been a lot of fun and it's just cool to see how they've progressed with all that stuff. The other thing I just wanted to talk about real quick is young guys, young guys with veterans. So the first day we were out there or not, rookiemitted camp, but the first ot A day, you know, we saw Luke and Luke McCaffrey and Terry mclaurran talk to each other. They're kind of in the same line, right. Johnny Newton has talked about how excited is to work with Alan and Payne. You know, you see the impact of Bobby Wagner, like how important is it having those older guys kind of mentoring some of these younger you know, Jordan McGee. Bobby Wagner talked about that out of time, like these younger guys and kind of saying, this is how we do things, what it means to be.
Speaker 2: I think it's great. I think you know it all.
Speaker 4: It's I guess you can say to each his own too, because if you if you were a guy that's really about ball, you might not even need that conversation, just the way you watch the game. Like I was a guy that I took every and from every every piece of information you got for me.
Speaker 2: I took it. I took it, I took it in, I absorbed it. But I was watching you regardless.
Speaker 4: I was gonna know what I had to do by the guy in front of me, or even even if even if I wasn't a guy behind anybody.
Speaker 2: If I did something, I was gonna make sure that I was studied up. I was, I was all.
Speaker 4: I was prepared enough to go out there and make sure I did it right. But when I was sitting on my knee watching the other groups go, I'm watching that guy who's been here longer or who's been the lead longer. So when I was in New York, I had, you know, Lavernie is he had just been there pre he just got there the year before.
Speaker 2: But he was, he was.
Speaker 4: He was to the point to where it's crazy. I want to shut this real quick. I remember going home after mini camp, my first mini camp. So he'll be around this time of the time of the year. And my receiver coach like, so, who looks good out of their receiver. Who's gonna be the best received on the team. I said, Remind you know, I'm the first round pick. I said, Man, Lavernia is cold, not even in the rotation like he's fourth or fifth. He's the best received on the team. And you know, my wide receiver coach, he's like what I said, Man, l C got it, Coach, I get hurt.
Speaker 2: That year, they wanted they wanted Matthew Hatchett to be the start and Z. They wanted Hatchet to be disease.
Speaker 4: They wanted you know, Wayne comes back to stay, to stay his position or vice versus. They want to have you to be the X and Wayne bet to be the Z and Coles kind of went in there and spoke up like, man, I need to get a chance to play. If you ain't gonna let me play, then then then trade me and they game opportunity. They ain't never looked back. And my receiver coach told me, say, you knew what you was talking about, so get back to the story. And I had to say that because Cole showed me a lot of stuff watching him LC. I took something from every guy who was already there. You know, I got here. I had David Patton, I had Thrash, you know what I mean, those guys with integral parts and me just watching them as veterans. You know, even though I was the guy, I remember trying to push everything to them, and David pat was like ten or no, you the guy that paid you to be the guy, so speak up.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, no, I ain't evenna do that. So this is what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna go out here and do what I do in the field and watch me.
Speaker 4: I always watched those guys who was basically who had I guess you can say more of a tender than me, you know, I think.
Speaker 2: It's it's good to have any brain trust.
Speaker 3: Like they say, if you can, if you can have an old person's mind in a young person's body, that's the perfect human being. So the one thing I had, I had a luxury nobody else in the NFL probably ever had.
Speaker 2: I made it to a dB room with three yellow jackets in.
Speaker 3: It, all playing my position them before I and I and we talking about Op five six rushmore guy. We're talking about Darryl Green, the US sada's Chump Bailey. But I do remember, because I do. I'm a sponge. I watch everything, and I'm sitting there watching Darryl. One day he just backpaling it this lift chopping.
Speaker 1: There's a clip around here, and that's how you when we black couldn't believe it's just these these steps. And he was like super high hip, like standing straight up because he's not that talk.
Speaker 3: We did one on one and Prime not practicing. He's told her and he's seen me do it was chop. He said, come in, don't you ever ever try to mimic that again? I like why he's like only Daryl Green, Darren Green. Everything about what he doing is incorrect, Like, why what you mean he like, look at how he is.
Speaker 2: Look at him chopping steps. You don't want do that.
Speaker 3: Your legs too long, No, you got to mimic people. That's more like your body tight. Indeed, you gotta realize what make this guy special won't make you special.
Speaker 2: Learning that leadership that's great, man, that's that was great insight too. I mean, just think about it. How I can't say we immature, but we oblivious to We don't know. We don't know nothing but the world.
Speaker 4: You're trying to just say, man, okay, that's that's how you do it. But then you find out, like it's almost like when we were talking the other day. I'm not sure if we had this conversation together or with someone else I was talking to. When you're in college and you know they giving you all this food training table, you got this food. And I remember being around Andre Johnson. You know he's young, he two years younger than me, but we both receiver us. And I remember I had a strict die after I broke my jaw. Came to the point that I wasn't eating no no kind of red meant. I was trying to eat light as possible because I found out the weight I was at when I came off, the broken jaw was me, this is where I want to stay at. And I saw Drake throw down this damn two whoppers and fry and drink and I'm sitting there like, damn gonna treat myself today, I felt like, And then I see this creature, this beast of a man. Yes, go out here at eighteen years old up talking about it was nothing to him. He went out there and ran one teams after that, And I'm like, bro, I can't do what he does.
Speaker 2: We all want different, but that's just how you are as a you know, it's like quick to identify, you need to identify who you are.
Speaker 1: Yeh yeah, No, absolutely, And it's I think it's so important. Like one of the things about the last regime that I always had a hard time with. It's like they come in and they let Ryan Carrogan go. When they bring in Chase Young, they bring in Montes Sweat, like.
Speaker 2: They don't need somebody to grow up.
Speaker 1: You need that guy in the room. And I don't care if they're the best football player, but you need someone to kind of saynt. This is how we respect the coach, This is how we take notes this is how we you know, that that stuff that you don't learn from a coach.
Speaker 3: And that's why I wish Bobby Wagner was here two three years ago, because that locker room needed somebody to say, sit down, sit down, sit down, you've done nothing.
Speaker 1: They didn't.
Speaker 4: They didn't have anybody, and they was leaning on Allen, you know what I mean. And not to say that he wasn't a man fit for the job, but we talked about it.
Speaker 1: He was young, and I think it's I think so that's why I think like all the all of these like young to old relationships like Luke McCaffrey, Teramnor and all these guys. Austin Eckler for the running backs is just going to be so incredibly important. The other thing I've noticed when you watch OTA practice is just how locked in Jade Daniels is, Like he is ready to.
Speaker 2: Go, no bs, He's literally out there to work.
Speaker 1: And so one of the things that's come out about him is this VR training stuff, virtual reality training, so basically they take the oculus, which is that kind of cool, you know, virtual reality.
Speaker 3: He's sitting in the locker room, I'm sitting in the living room out date with it all blind and why don't you do I see him throwing get out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so basically that that thing is pretty cool, I know if you guys, but it's it's it's like totallyculus. Yeah, so when you look around, it kind of puts you there. So this German company for him when he was at Ye l s U, and now the commanders are using that same company here. They input stadiums and they were able to input d fences and able to input offenses. So he's able to kind of sit there with this oculus on get a rep. But it's a real rep because it's against a real defense. So one of the things you're always chasing as a football player is how do I So you watch film, right, but there's a there's a there's a disconnect, right because it's like, oh, I got to kind of if I'm blocking a six, I gotta he's right over my head. Oh but he plays it a little bit tighter and you don't get to see the spacing exactly, so you're always kind of projecting that he gets the exact spacing. Now, it's really hard because you have to input a ton of plays to get these reactions and get these things, but in terms of him being able to pick up this offense so quickly like a he's studying a ton on his own. But I think this is such a cool tool to put these guys in the cauld You imagine and you're like, hey, hey, I get the coverage rotation in my VR headset. I don't even need to put the film on it here.
Speaker 3: It is these I think they're gonna take it to the next line. I mean, can we always see technology meet sports? It always happens. Think about it, just something lit like a video game, like man, you know, I mean people didn't learn how to read a playbook from playing sad And again.
Speaker 1: My first year in college, I learned more from Madden, just in terms of like basic coverages. Yes, because I was like, oh, this is what he's talking about covering too, Yeah, and so I totally agree.
Speaker 3: So now imagine getting it with doubt that that they press on your nie. Imagine getting it rip and being like, oh, I didn't see that last time. Let me let me rewind this right, we like, So it's that visual rep that I think that's gonna take them to the next level.
Speaker 2: Was making the quarterbacks better today and early ready to play.
Speaker 3: They did a thousand reps and sell on Selvy in high school and college, so passing the ball is second nature to them. When I came out, uh as good as Peyton Manning was, he didn't pass about fifty times a game at Tennessee Like, so this reps were so far and in between that they had to get him exactly right every time.
Speaker 2: I think this give them time to fail before they succeed.
Speaker 1: So like I was at the combine and I was at a bar and I bumped into the sky normal dude, and I find out he runs like the VR program for LSU. Yeah, and so we started talking and we should see if we can get him on really good dude, just try to get him on here. So we'll keep that in the loop of guests. But anyway, he was saying in a week, I said, how many you know, like, how many more reps is he getting a week? Like are we talking here? He's like anywhere from two hundred and fifty to three hundred reps a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So you think about it. In a practice, you're out of practice. You're getting about thirty reps, forty reps maybe if you're throwing the football ton and that's over the course of five days, you know what I mean. There are four days, so that's one hundred and twenty reps. So you're trippling. Yeah, your repping take and.
Speaker 2: Are you resting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not, like you're not putting, You're not a deserting energy. So to me, it's like it's like cheating.
Speaker 2: No, No, it is.
Speaker 4: I think it's dope because one I never heard of is I heard about the little virtual.
Speaker 2: Reality thing, but I just didn't know to what extent. But I do recall.
Speaker 4: It's crazy you bring up MAD. I wasn't big and mad playing. I will play it with my kids or something like that. And I caught on to it one day.
Speaker 2: I was like, hold on, do they have the real coverages on here?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: So I get in the game one day and like, I literally was running our plays just to see the coverage. Yeah, just to see the coverage from the other teams. Yes, And I wanted to see tannel when you're gonna be opening this coverage? Yeah, when you're gonna be.
Speaker 2: Opening and I am the door. Promise to God it works. I worked.
Speaker 4: I will literally see cover two and say oh this round here, I'm gonna be opening the scene. I would literally see how they played me in six and I'm like, okay, so we're gonna get four over here and get two on this side.
Speaker 2: So this guy gonna be I promise you. It elevated my game. It's giving you.
Speaker 4: I'm like, why why I didn't think of this before? But it was just because I'm watching the game one, I'm watching my kids. But I'm like a courage Yeah, I said run back, and then you ask Madden. You asked Madden for a coverage and they give it to you. I'm like, oh, hell, now they got the same book.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I went on the game and started using I played with nothing but me and just try to find my way of curves taking you I raps different.
Speaker 4: But the reason I was doing reason why I thought it was so interesting because later in my later in my years of playing, I remember knowing everybody positioning like, hey, pr Is coming to you.
Speaker 2: Come on, Perre get ready and Pis come we come back to it up. You're like, now I knew what I say.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: I saw the rope, I saw the rotation of the coverage. I'm the dec I'm going I'm gonna slow, I'm gonna take this guy. So you're coming in on the the one opening up, open it up.
Speaker 2: So it was mad and I was I was getting those repts beforehand, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But to that point, imagine if they could give you like so for example, everyone's running all these like a morphous like quarters like match coverages. But imagine being able to see that see it now like like the real like in Madden, it's all spot dress right, it's all over for cover two, cover three quarters like traditional quartershere the general spot That's incredibly helpful. I found it incredibly helpful. But now I can see what cover four match looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I see it meshes, I can see it mesh with these days.
Speaker 4: That's the difference that you not getting the man you got when you got the real rep because he going Nick level now with mixed level.
Speaker 2: It's just like when we played they want clocking as speed.
Speaker 3: I bet if they was clocking as speed, we wasn't blowing some of these speeds away because we was.
Speaker 2: We was running, dude, like we was, we was running.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you now, I'm telling you, I think I got the like thirty nine mile out one day.
Speaker 1: Do you know what?
Speaker 2: Maryland pulled me over, gave me a speed said, you're right, you got one of the cars driving. You're like, so are you running over field doing step? Yes?
Speaker 1: I was, hey, man. So we've also watched two practices. We've watched the first day of Rookie Minty Camp or Rookie Rookie Minty Camp. Let me watched the first day o Tas. It's not a ton. I think they've had like, what is that five total practices? They got one today. Anybody obviously Jane Daniels stuck out, So let's just obviously he's stucking out, so we're going next to it him anybody else that You're like, man, this dude.
Speaker 3: Mike Davis somebody didn't Nobody thought about when we signed him. He was just a flake of a sign. I think people forget his veeran Steve. He's been around a long time. He started a lot about six years six years he started a lot of football, and I didn't know he was built like that.
Speaker 2: Dude when I saw him, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Dude, all the corners now Greek gods out there, you know Museum, the guy from Yet the State huge and then Benjamin Saint Juice tall, Like It's just like the whole body type has changed.
Speaker 4: I think a guy that stood that two guys stood up. I told you how much of a man crushed. I got on McGee, but not on just looking at him, but he ran. Jordan McGee ran around well and just to know what he has. You know, who knows when he's a fifth round draft and who knows what's going to be his future. But when you got guys in front of him like he do, Man, he's in a great position, you know what I mean. But the guy stood out too to me with Hampton seeing how big was take the position like man, he wan four five, but Joy came back five, you know I mean, I mean he can make it out of something.
Speaker 2: But bro, I just like his presence alone. And then he got to pick.
Speaker 4: I believe I got to pick in that first o TA practice and I was impressed with just you know, how he went after the ball and just moved round. I mean, that's one of the things that stands out more than anything because we've been watching these guys for years.
Speaker 2: The athletic ability of these guys this year is just like top cheered than what we had, you know what I mean. And it's scary because now we know we're gonna cut some good activities. Like this's what good teams do. They cut good players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's like, I think the thing about Hampton to he's the guy other guy that stuck out to me. He's so he's so like long arms, and he's tall, and he runs well. And you're like, man, that is like you drop you look up of like a dime linebacker, Like that is the guy when you look at what they did in Dallas, and it's like, hey, we're gonna be in a lot of dime with curse one guy like that and a guy that's not afraid to fit a run. Not a guy you got you feel good at coverage.
Speaker 2: And a guy that threads to blitz so when you see him, you're thinking hot route.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. The guy with the and if this is another thing that people are sleeping on, they've got all these guys with these crazy long arms, you know, and that clouds throwing windows. Yeah, you know that that makes it harder to throw the football. He's the guy that stuck out. I think Luke McCaffrey every time I watch that, I run around, I'm just like, you're considering you've only played receiver for two years, Like you are so polished, so competitive.
Speaker 2: I mean, he runs with this mixture of speed and power. All right, reminds me.
Speaker 3: Of it all over again. I'm watching his daddy. But do you remember one Taylor Jacob Taylor Jakers. Yeah, the body being the only thing about Taylor Jakers. And I don't want to I want you to finish this story.
Speaker 2: He was light on he was light on his toes. Yeah, he would light but.
Speaker 1: That was an old head that Tennis said that lighter on his toe Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but but when Taylor would know what I'm talking about, he would run with power and he would he would like go in the room, I mean weight room with Taylor Jacob and he would literally get to live.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 4: I wish, I wish I could have had more years when he's a guy like he's one of those guys when you have young talent. Yeah, you wish you could have just like come, come come with me. You know what I'm saying. I wasn't at the state to doing that with nobody that time. This was my first year here. I was all about trying to establish yourself. But when I look back and I'm like, he was going so quick, I'm like, damn, we brought Brandon Lloyd Gift.
Speaker 2: It broke all the intangibles, Man Bailey said.
Speaker 3: The years I split with Champ, out of all the receivers we practiced with, Taylor Jacob gave us the most giving. Not Rod Gardner, not Michael Richbrook, got none of these. Dude, Taylor Jacobs had a mixture of route. He would disappear when the lights came on.
Speaker 2: It didn't come on. It didn't trans see that so much. And you know, and you know what, guys don't know. They don't they don't understand it.
Speaker 4: And everybody's like, I say, this game, you you meet so many different guys and they make they make it happen in a in a zillion different ways.
Speaker 2: Everybody just can't walk out there and make a play. Yeah, sometime you need help, sometime you need to pray something. It's something.
Speaker 4: And I remember him trying to dibb and dab into every way and I and I remember looking at it like, oh, he's trying to find that one is going to help him beat this guy. All the time, because he'll show up. That's the that's the mom I want to I want to see him.
Speaker 2: Again, and then you don't. Then you don't see it. And I'm like, I know Jason and the guy.
Speaker 4: Honestly, bro like I used to see him, try to tap into different ways of finding that guy, and sometimes you just got to say this is who you are, Like whatever you did that day, do it again.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. And they had to be the most frustrating thing for a coach to have a player that go up like this, said practice and beat Pro Bowl. I remember, I remember hearing the coaches ask questions like, wow.
Speaker 3: Where you at, Like why won't he show up on here, get right in the game, run that route and drop that ball?
Speaker 4: And Practice wouldn't drop it, not one hands. I mean you see small my hands, it is huge, strong, and you'd be like god, Taylor, like he's not missing nothing, you got it, don't don't think about it.
Speaker 2: And I think it's overthinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a hundred percent right, you know, Like as a you know, people ask me about what's it like to be an undrafted free agent or whatever, a low drafted guy. There's a lot of pressure you put on yourself, just put yourself in a bad spot. But in terms of other guys that have stuck out to me, Frankie Luvu, I mean looks like a U.
Speaker 2: He looks so good and it folds.
Speaker 1: Looks like a dude, Jeremy Chin talking about we talk about big, long guys like I mean, I don't know. I always impressed him when he was out there run around. He had a pick on that day against Mariota. And then two other guys. One is Bryson Tremaine's a guy.
Speaker 2: That you've been putting for. Bryson for like two years.
Speaker 1: He was a rookie last year, so it's impossible, but I'm saying like he he just like he's big. He looks different than the other receivers. Somebody just said that he's big. He's been making contested catches and and he's good on teams. So in terms of a guy that's like maybe like a I'm shot to make the roster if he keeps playing like this, that's a guy. And then Colston Yankov from my guy, Dude, this is my guy, way better than I expect.
Speaker 2: I told you about him.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you watched him though, because guess what he played for Little Millton University. But no, I looked up a lot of his past and I'm always intrigued when I see big guys play like four positions.
Speaker 4: This telling me you're so good at something that nobody knows where to play you at. And sometimes people don't grow into their body until they get to the league. Like we might have had a guy at wide receiver. It guy turns out to be a deepest man.
Speaker 3: This guy when you showed me you play the little quarterback and lit tight end and little tail back and like it's athlete right there.
Speaker 2: I want to watch him. Rogers look pretty good too.
Speaker 1: Our money. Yeah, I mean he looks the part.
Speaker 2: I mean he's just huge.
Speaker 1: He's like six seven, yeah, six six, he can run, yeah, And it's just.
Speaker 2: Like, how was he ever a quarterback in what universe? But I'm a quarterback? Do y'all remember like just the one season he had two years ago?
Speaker 4: He was like, we might got something we do, you know what I mean? So I was, I was, I was pissed that we didn't have that last year. Man, But I'm hoping a guy like that, I mean, it's gonna be harder now with the tight endom and stuff.
Speaker 1: But I mean, hey, if you can make it, man, he can show what he showed like I mean, I remember having conversations with people from the old staff saying, all, we think he can play receipt and I was like, come on. Then he had that explosive screencat and yeah he's running people over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait to go get my weird ast yank off shirt. This one weird ass yank all love it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna rocket most definitely because I want him to make the team.
Speaker 1: So that's what we do it for the show. We do have one more practice that's open to the media this week. Yeah, I'm gonna try and get out there. I know you guys are up to it. Yeah, try to get out there and watch practice, give you guys an update, and then we're gonna keep you posting on some of these other hires as they come in, and make sure you tune into the commands of the show and subscribe to this show wherever, get your podcast if you want to see us, we're on YouTube. Gonna see us looking at each other and just sit that's wear that. Yeah, I think that's going to do it, Fred, that's it. The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and our hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.