Speaker 1: Okay, Sabrina, Well it is fourth grade, fifth grade. Say it is recess time. You run outside? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am playing handball?
Speaker 1: Handball? So is handball like it's like soccer but with your hands, Like there's goals and you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's like against a wall. So what's great about hand Like you're at your slack and there's things called slices and skippets and what. Yeah, that's what I was doing. However, I also loved to jump rope, but the first thing I would do would be handboll. The handball line was long. I was heading over to the jump rope area. But I'm telling you right now, I never I never even attempted to do double dutching.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 2: No, that looked like it would hurt when it slapped you in the face. And we never had ropes long enough. We just had those single ropes. I mean, we never had ropes. Did you ever attempt to double dutch?
Speaker 1: I was actually the nineteen eighty seven double dutch champion. No, I never attempted to double dutch. I spent my time in the playground smoking like you're supposed to do in the fifth grade.
Speaker 3: Fifth grade.
Speaker 1: Will give me, Yeah, that's true, but I mean I yeah, no, I didn't. We we had the do you remember the thing where it was like it's a giant bucket on a big pole with the four spouts coming out and you throw the ball in and the ball comes down one of the spouts and that's like the goal you get. So there was like, oh a four to three to two in a one and you have to like throw it into the bucket. And then I had games from the fifties.
Speaker 2: Apparently ooh that that actually sounds really cool.
Speaker 1: And then we had the tether ball where you just around as as much.
Speaker 2: As you can ring around the tether ball. I had a tether ball at my house and then I lowered it long enough when I started playing soccer that I would it would be like a kick a ball that yeah, to practice that. Yeah, I loved tetherball. Jumping, jump ropeing. Like I said, it was just kind of a single thing and team jumping. I just got yeah, I just got over it. This double dutching thing now is new to me, and word, that's a whole world out there, it is.
Speaker 1: That's what well, that's what I talk about. One of my favorite things. I love microworlds, so discovering something you didn't know existed. When I I hosted a painting show back in the day where I learned to paint little miniature figures, little minis and that, and it opened up. I was like, They're like, oh, you've never heard of the Crystal Brush Awards, like the what? And there's a whole world that I did not know about based around this. So all these little things where the worlds exist, these microworlds my favorite thing ever. I love it. I love it, I love it.
Speaker 2: That'd be so cool, It's true.
Speaker 1: Let's find out about this world together.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: So before we do that, let's welcome you back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves tsunamis, and the Dutches doubled.
Speaker 4: You like that?
Speaker 2: Yes, love, I love the spin. I'm Wilverdale and I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: So why don't you go ahead and throw away those boxing gloves and get the ropes ready, because we're double dutching our way to two thousand and seven Sports drama Jump in and I'm gonna say it just like that because one of the things I love about this While we'll get into it, this was the sixty seventh decom ever made, and it debuted on January twelfth, two thousand and seven, then a few months later in the UK. But right off the bat, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna tell you two things I immediately liked about this film. Number one, and that's what I'm gonna say it like this all the time. It has an exclamation point in the title, which is a plus no matter what we've you know, we've seen Gotta Kick It Up, Brink Bring, which are two classics. So hopefully this will be the third in the trifecta of the exclamation point movie, which usually denotes a good film, but we'll have to see. And number two very niche sporting. We love the fringe, athletics, motocrossed, figure skating, bowling, high school, you know, wrestling, you name it, we love it. So let's get very specific here. We are double dutch jump roping and this might just take the crown of those little microworlds we were just talking about. But also this is filmed in one of the two dcom capitals of the world. Yes, this time coin Flip. We were in Toronto and the production lasted just one month, which is kind of was normal for me at the time whenever I did like h Double Hockey six or any things. These were thirty day shoots. So when I'm hearing about like high school musicals and things like that, we're like, well, we shot for thirty days, but we rehearsed for three weeks. First it was like, oh man, they just threw Matt Lawrence on skates basically, and off we went. Now, we might like the exclamation point, but jump In wasn't the first title actually given to this movie. The channel also toyed with jump jump In and the one that even showed up in some of the early trailers jump Start. All of course with the exclamation point, but still very different. Now do you think jump in is the best title of that bunch?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: I do too, absolutely, because you gotta jump in the rope? Yeah, yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 2: There you go and jump in with like your all your love with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta jump in both feet, that's yeah. Absolutely. Promotion for the film began with quite the tie in on the channel. I mean yikes, because posters at the High School Musical Live Tour started popping up, hoping to capitalize the fact that one of the franchise's stars, friend of the Pod, Corbin Blue, was also starring in jump In. Do you see this as like the spiritual sibling to High School Musical?
Speaker 2: Maybe? I think it's to me at the time, because I remember when this was coming out, it was like Corbin getting his star, Corban getting his moment to be the main role. And I think, let's let's keep it real. All them ladies out there were ready, they were ready for some all Corbin all they could get.
Speaker 1: You know. I say this as a happily married man and one who's very comfortable in my own sexuality. That's a handsome looking guy.
Speaker 2: He is a he very handsome.
Speaker 1: He is a star. He absolutely just commands the screen. It's a handsome dude.
Speaker 2: I can see why the girl's like tell he's just such a nice guy, which is seriously the truth. He is just such a stand up nice guy. I would love to see him get some kind of gritty character.
Speaker 1: Because he'd be great.
Speaker 2: I bet he'd be great. But it's just all you see is his big, his little dimple like he's just the best.
Speaker 1: It works, and that's not the only thing that worked. The tie in worked too, because jump In became a bona fide smash hit, breaking the record previously set by another film. We haven't actually covered this one yet Cheetah Girls Too, sorry, Sabrina, and became the highest rated dcom premiere of all time with eight point two million viewers. Crazy. I mean, we just did Spin that we talked about. Spin was a big thing for the network. It had five hundred and eighty thousand people watching the first night. This is eight but this was two million.
Speaker 2: This was the time of those million views. I mean, this was it. Yeah, these and these movies were at the top of their game for this demographic. Everyone was waiting for what Disney was going to put out next.
Speaker 1: Yep, now did you know about this movie beforehand? Had you heard her jump In?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah? Oh yeah? I mean this is like right around Cheetah Girls Too with high school musical. Corbin was just on the up and up. He was recording his album. I mean, Corbyn was huge. I mean we knew once he had his own movie. This was I mean and obviously great actor, great day answer, Yeah, great, everything that the viewers were looking for, Corburn had it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he really did. He tisses all of the Disney Channel starboxes. He really really yeah he does so, unfortunately for the movie, but a real coup for one of its stars. The record would be broken again soon after, just later that year by High School Musical two, with a truly unbelievable stat of seventeen point two four million viewers, making the third number one hit t com for the channel's new good Luck Charm Corbyn Blue. So the three top movies, This Guy's In, and of course you can't make a double Dutch movie, any double Dutch movie, let alone a good one without a great soundtrack. The jump In album was released just a week before the movie premiered and cracked the top three on the Billboard two hundred. The album features songs from both of its stars, as well as Disney Hollywood Records favorites Jordan Pruitt, Jupiter Rising, and of course our boy Drew Seally. So, what did you think of the music?
Speaker 2: I loved it. There were some songs that were kind of you know, but even then it was just to me. This became a nostalgic movie. And I know this isn't like for me the Long Ago Brinks and this Johnny Tsunami's, but this was very nostalgic for me. This was the music that we were recording. It was right within the wheelhouse of Disney, and I loved it. I mean, I was like, oh, I'll get to it in my Sabrina Seas. But there is just one song that I was like, Oh, I thought this was in high school music.
Speaker 1: I guess not. I liked the music. The one thing I found is I thought in a bunch of scenes it was too loud. Yeah, and not the scenes where you're doing a montage and it's just supposed to be the song when there's also dialogue. I was like, Okay, somebody needs to turn the music down a little bit. It was too loud.
Speaker 2: I agreed. There was a couple of times where I'm like the sound person was not you know, the one that was editing wasn't really like really did he not know they were talking? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The mix seed the mix seemed a little bit off. It was strange. But anyway, and for the true historians listening in, jump In was the last t com ever to use the two thousand and two to two thousand and six Disney Channel movie intro as they transitioned into the remixed version soon after. That is a little tidbit there for you real rewinders. Ooh, I'm gonna coin that like it. Jump In was also nominated for a Teen Choice Award Best TV Movie, but lost to High School Musical two Always a Bridemaid. Isn't that the worst where it's like Corbin Corbyn loses to himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the movie.
Speaker 1: Got the standard Disney multiple viewing treatment, getting some bells and whistles added for reruns, which included the Dance to It Limited Edition and the Jab and Gab Edition and the pop Up Edition, all airing on the channel throughout the year. All Right, Sabrina, the movie is from a bit of a golden era for the dcommon regards to popularity. And you were right in the mix during it. We talked about how you knew about jump In. But was this something where everybody knew like this was gonna be a big thing. This was someone's talking about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm telling you it was. It was a huge buzz around everywhere knowing that again, everyone you know in High School Musical. When you think of high School musical. When you think of the quote unquote star, you think of Zacha Evron, sure, but not taking anything away. Like we watched the first one, the first high school musical, and Corbin was a very small His role was a very small role in that first one. When you get to see the second one, as we've seen, his role gets bigger and he's got a bigger part. And that's because the audience gravitated towards him. He had seen him on Handah Montana. You know, he was making his way up. He obviously is an incredible dancer performer. They're starting to realize, like from other things that he's doing on the channel where he can sing, he can act, you know, and so it's like his ball was just rolling. It was starting to just like snowball into something big. Like I said, this movie along with Paul Hohans, Paul Hohan's name is with this movie now starting to just get a bigger, a bigger momentum, and everyone around the channel was really vibing with that. Everyone knew Corbyn was going to be huge.
Speaker 1: You could tell he's also very identifiable, especially at that time. He's got the hair and look, I mean they dressed him really cool. He had the hip vibe going. Yeah you could again, like I said, ticked every box. I had heard of this movie because we talked to Corbyn about it, but before before Magical Rewrine and yeah, so yeah, no, there's so yes, i'd heard of it because of the show we're doing, but I had never heard of it in real life in the wild.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, And I know you don't really listen to Top forty, but like his the songs were playing on the radio like and that that this was the start of the Disney channels, like music actually getting the nods. It not just being a musical on the Disney Channel. They started getting nods from the music artists that were coming out of the channel. And this was really that, like you said, the golden era of all of this happening was right in that two thousand and three four to two thousand and seven eight. I mean, this was huge. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well it's working like a charm and as usual, this movie is viewable right now in Disney Plus. So you can pause us and watch them, or pause them and watch us, or you can pause them both and go outside and play a sport, you know what. Do that because you could use a tan, but make sure to at least come back to us later today. That'd be great.
Speaker 2: It is that time of year. We are all looking a lit.
Speaker 1: We need some vitamin D, don't we.
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 1: Right, Well, whether you're a joy jumper, a Dutch Dragon, or a red hot chili stepper, let's get into the synopsis. Aspiring boxer Izzy Daniels discovers a passion for double Dutch jump rope after agreeing to help his friend Mary in a tournament. This unexpected interest challenges his father's expectations and leads Izzy to make a change. Before we jump in, even though it's for Brink. Let's hear your initial thoughts. What did you think of this movie?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I was really trying to figure out again, I never watched this movie as much as it was a big buzz. Like I again, during the time of when I was on the channel, I unfortunately had like just not really watched a lot unless there was a premiere that we went to. And in my head, I'm going I knew what the movie was about. I knew we were gonna be double dutching. I think Corbyn was in it. I knew Kiki Palmer was in it. How does Corbyn become a double Dutcher? I didn't know. And I as soon as they start going and it's a boxing, I was like, this is brilliant.
Speaker 1: I love boxing.
Speaker 2: This is genius. I love it. What a great way super spot on And from the beginning I was like, I mean, listen, talk about getting on the couch with some popcorn. Corn Blue is about to beyond the TV. Everyone. I was ready to go. But this tie in with the box brilliant. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I actually really liked this movie. Again, I mean it doesn't it has holes in it. Sure it felt very Disney Channel to me, which is exactly what it's supposed to be, and so I enjoyed it. The music was good, The relationship between the two of them was great. The relationship with his dad and his family is very Disney. The niche you got the bully like it again, Like Corbin, it tipped all the boxes for a dot com. It was an enjoy It wasn't too long, it was an enjoyable time to watch. It looked great because Paul Howens so yeah, I mean again ticked all the boxes.
Speaker 2: As you were saying, we are in Toronto, and to me, this is the most obvious Toronto movie. I think at this point maybe it's because we watched them back to back, but this is definitely the most Toronto movie. I don't know how else to say it.
Speaker 1: Ever back, it's like you feel you feel comfortable being back with everybody. As we've said now a bunch of times. Jumping is directed by the great Paul Hoan, who has had just a string of films on Magical Rewind recently. It's kind of like, dude, let somebody else direct something. He is becoming as much of a dcom mainstay as Utah in Canada. He's currently steering the ship on the Zombies franchise, but his history with the dcom is absolutely untouchable, with movies like Cheetah Girls, One World, Camp, Rock to Read It and Weep, Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff, Luck of the Irish, and the Rare Misstep Dad Napped on his resume. Oh I love Paul Hoan, but Dad napped. Yikes. He's the man. This is one of the things we talked about him so many times on this podcast that every time we mentioned him we could just mention two new movies and we wouldn't have overlapped yet because he just keeps doing this stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean of that that film we've well, I guess we haven't watched count Rock two, but Girls One World, yes, I mean, but really everybody knows Million Dollar Cookoff, Like I like watching that on the schedule. I'm ready.
Speaker 1: I'm ready for these things. I'm ready to start doing some part twos and threes. I'm sorry, but anyone will get into I need Cheetah Girls too at some point in the future.
Speaker 2: Oh you do.
Speaker 1: There are also some very familiar faces in front of the camera as well. Let's start, of course with Corbin Blue, a friend of the podcast, the actor musician Double Threat actually Triple Threat, who at the time was one of the channel's hottest names, known of course as Chad Danforth in High School Musical. Disney was looking to extend their relationship, and like they do with a lot of their talent, they'd funneled him into a dcom. Now we've been super lucky to be able to interview Corbin, who plays Izy Daniels in this one, so you can go and listen to our talk with him and our archives. He also has appeared on Hannah Montana, One Life to Live Castle, and most recently, he visited his most famous role for the greatest name show in the history of the world, High School Musical, The Musical the series Love That Corbin somehow became very good at jumping rope in real life while filming this movie, even performing a lot of his own stunts. But he did say he did have a double for some of the crazy backflip stuff. Could you tell these were doubles?
Speaker 2: No? I honestly went wait. I did finally at a point when they were doing like the crazy beginning the tumbling. But I'm like, I'm going, wait, no, because Corbin he can tumble. I think I think he can do a little.
Speaker 1: Bit of Was he doing any of the tumbling stuff? Is that like the backups down the street?
Speaker 2: I'm kind I'm feeling like, because I just feel like the kid can do it.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going to assume even though.
Speaker 2: He said he had a double an NBA basketball.
Speaker 1: Player exactly, we're just gonna say, we're going to pretend that that reality doesn't exist. And corbyin did all of his own.
Speaker 2: Stuff and the double dutch, and it felt like they shot it so in such a great way that if there was like doubles during the double Dutch, and you couldn't tell that it was. They were flipping kids in and out so fast.
Speaker 1: They did it very well. They did it so great. Next up is one of the hottest names in twenty twenty five Hollywood. Keiky Palmer is Mary Thomas, another double threat actor musician. Keiki has been in the business since she was basically five years old, and boy, everything has come together lately so before Jump in huh, that's the exclamation point. She was seen in Medea's Family Reunion, She was the titular character in the critically acclaimed Akila and the Bee, and she starred in the Nickelodeon show True Jackson VP. She was one of the rare instances where someone was appearing on both Disney and Nick and that's because both like me, but I did him back to back, not at the same time. And that's because both wanted her to sign an exclusive deal. She was even the hot property back then, and in the end Nick they did win, and they forced Disney to shift their marketing focus of Jump into their own star Corbin Blue. As we know, Kiki later went on to superstardom voicing Peaches in the Ice Age movies, appearing in the TV show Scream Queens, hosting Saturday Night Live, and now racking up movie after movie, Hustler's Light Year, Nope, Alice, and the Dozen or So. She is currently working on and has some production or development, including Sister Act three and a TV show adaptation of The Urbs. So did you know her at all?
Speaker 2: Then? Would you met in passing? I can't even remember where it was. She is an energy in herself, like she just has this positivity that she's just radiant. She's like one of those people where you're going, oh my gosh, you know, you wouldn't have to say anything besides just hi, and like her, I don't know, she just has that energy.
Speaker 1: She just know some people do. Some people are are born to do something.
Speaker 2: They're the people you want when you meet then you want to root for, no matter what they're doing. And I just again met her in Passing and we'll talk for always, always and forever. Be a fan of hers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's just clearly sweet. Is an entertainer you can just tell yes. And like we saw in the Hannah Montana movie, we got real family in this one too. I love this so much. David Rivers plays Kenneth Daniels, is he's father, and in real life he's Corbyn's dad, which is so cool, which is a nice little marketing hook for the movie, and hilariously, just one year later, David would also play Corbyn's dad in High School Musical three. So it must be very nice to work with your parents. I would, but I'm sure i'd make a terrible lawyer. David has also appeared in so many TV shows Home Improvement, Desperate Housewives, and The Pit just to name a few. And speaking of Hannah Banana, huh, I had to bring it back, Hannah Montana. We've got Shanika Knowles as Shauna. She is best known as Addison on Hannah Montana and has appeared on other TV shows like Awkward, Real Husbands of Hollywood, and The Young and the Restless. And lastly, another former Magical rewind guest, We love her so much. It's Kylie Russell as Karen Daniels. She is a d com star now Eliza in the Zombies movies, having also appeared on Girl Meets World, Modern Family and the movie Crushed. But here she is just so little and so cute. And just adorable in this movie.
Speaker 2: It took me a second obviously where I know her, where I know her from his Zombies, Right, Yeah, It's like I saw her and I went, oh, my gosh. And the whole time I just went, oh, you're just the cutest ship is. She's adorable, so adorable in this movie. And great she holds it. Great. This did a great.
Speaker 1: Job from top to bottom. I think when we do our award show, and we are gonna do our magical rewind Award show, I'm telling you right now, yes, this could arguably be in contention for cutest ensemble cast from top to bottom every.
Speaker 2: Everyone would it be against? What cast are you trying to put it against?
Speaker 1: Well, there's plenty that we that we've we've looked at where we're like, oh my god, there are a spin is a perfect example of a really cute cast from top to bottom. There are a bunch that motocrossed Camp Rock. I mean, there are a bunch that they're the cast from top to bottom are cute. This is in contention for just from top to bottom super cute cast. So we're gonna we'll come up with some categories, all right, So jump In is eighty five minutes. Oh, it's five off target, but on the right side of history. Like we like to say here, rather short than snore. No one says that. By the way, it's never been said before. I said that, just made it up and I had And.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm almost feeling like, eighty five is the new ninety.
Speaker 1: By the end, we're gonna be like this movie was thirty two minutes long. It was perfect. Eighty five was great. The movie did not drag at all. It's again five outside but.
Speaker 2: Again I mean when it got to the point we were at the finale scene, I went, wait, well, would I like paused it to see we're already here?
Speaker 1: Are you read too? Was? I watched it with my wife, who normally doesn't watch these movies with me, but I watched it with Susan, and we're sitting there watching and we paused, and I was like, oh my god, there's only seven minutes left. We're not going to get to go to worlds. I was like, so like, wait a second, that's the reason we're going to get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're gonna get there when I get Oh god, okay, I have some words about that. I would like to talk to Paul Owen right now.
Speaker 1: We'll get him back. We're gonna have That's the other thing we're gonna have him on. It was a bit of a team effort when it came to writing the script. We have Doreen Spicer. She wrote on TV shows like Martin, The Proud Family and Motown Magic. We've got Doreen Hicks, who is a legend we've talked about once before. She wrote on Sister Sister Girlfriends Marlin HBO's Insecure and most Suited for our Needs. She wrote Camp Rock, and reportedly she will reunite with Keeky as a producer on the still being developed Sister Act three. And lastly, her former writing partner on projects like Camp Rock, Karen Gist or Just I Apologize. She went on to write Revenge and Gray's Anatomy, and she was the showrunner on Mixed Dish. So just a stellar writing group. Here we go. Let's get in the movie. I'm gonna count us in and one, two, three, let's jump in. Sorry, that's if I was trying it anyway. We open on a feverish jump roping in a boxing ring. A narrator tells us all about Brooklyn, the home of Team Boxing Sensation, Izzy Daniels. So you just said you're a boxing fan. Do you like boxing?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Do you like watching? Do you like participating? What do you box? No?
Speaker 2: I mean I've taken you know, those boxing classes and things like that, but I could not ever say that I like trained as a boxer. But I do love boxing. I I dated a boxer and learned a lot of it on like the big level, and it was such an interesting sport. And I love the traditional Like I don't like watching UFC or the other kinds of wrestling type stuff. I really do love boxing, and I just it's such a it's so epic and like I loved one of the very first couple of scenes in they talk about it. It's like it's not about knocking someone out, It's about being yeah, smart about your punches and your your mobility and your endurance, and you know, boxing is just so much more than people thinking it's about knocking someone out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I really like respect the sport a lot too.
Speaker 1: I like boxing and I like UFC. I like it all is. He takes to the streets like a young Rocky, bobbing and weaving, practicing jabs. We're told everyone thinks he's going to be the next Great Champ and he parkours, flips and does splits off of buildings some pretty amazing stuff here. Can do you have dancers that can do all this stuff like flipping and splitting and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: My dancers can do some of it. Yeah, the stuff off of walls. I've never seen them do any of that, And I if you're listening, ladies, you better not because you could get seriously hurt.
Speaker 1: That's all I do, by the way, That's the only one I can do.
Speaker 2: It's definitely been around. I've definitely been around dancers. We had dancers on tour with us that could do.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm how much of this do you think was him? Was this all him? Do you think maybe not to flip off the wall, but all the other stuff was him? Right?
Speaker 2: Honestly again, I'm telling you like it. I might be off track here, but I feel like Corbyn can do everything. So I'm gonna go with in my head he is doing every single time it wears no double.
Speaker 1: Then we're saying that now it is now canon he was doing everything himself. Yes, it's great. Is he is obviously an agile star, running through the neighborhood saying hi to the locals. When he spots a group of young girls impressively double dutching in the park, he barges into the ropes, only to immediately mess it all up. Now the jumper turns out to be Merry, and she is mad at Izzy for ruining her session. They bicker and Mary tells him to leave. It is their practice. The regional competition is Friday, and they want to go to city Is. He leaves unimpressed with their sport, and Mary admits he really got in her nerves. But her friends think she actually likes him. I think she does too. His dad, Kenneth, is making funny smelling chili for Izzy's younger sister Karen, just as Izzy arrives home finishing his run, and for dessert, Kenneth unveils a really weird looking cake. He tried to make it just like their mimd did, but no one is impressed. This is where we get our first inclination that this is going to be one of those movies where it's a single dad raising the kids. We also know the way that he's talking about him and the rule We've heard at Disney Channel better dead than divorced, so obviously the mom has passed away. Yeah, well, we've heard that. That's what they say. You can you can have it, have your one of your parents can be dead, but having one divorced is far more rare. We saw one recently, but shocking.
Speaker 2: When it was shocking when we saw it.
Speaker 1: It was also dad Nap, which which is what what can't you expect from dad Nap? I'm telling you. We see their cute family dynamic and learn that Izzy's dad was a great neighborhood boxer back in the day and now has very high hopes for his son. The next day is he runs back to the gym while his dad is coaching two fighters, Izzy's friends, Little Earl and Chuck, in a sparring session. Once Little Earl is knocked down, Kenneth asked if is he wants the good news or the good news is he hopes it's the Golden Gloves invite, but no, it's not, but it's close. His dad got him one more exhibit match. If he wins that he'll be ready for Golden Gloves and turns out it's against the only other undefeated kid in the gym Rodney who they call Big Rodney, and that's never a good sign. When you got to fight somebody and they add big in front of their name, it's like, oh, you mean killer Steve, Like that's never anything you want to hear exactly. You're not talking about stabby Pete, are you? Like? Oh God, that would be terrible. Is he would be third generation of Daniels to win the Golden Gloves and it would really cement his chances to become a pro. One day is he jumps in the ring training with a big guy named Felix who just keeps appearing as if from nowhere. He's like Yoda, and all of a sudden, he's just over your shoulder. It was so strange, But Kenneth is not impressed. He wants to see his son step it up, not showboat. Then Kenneth's next training session arrives. It is a girl named Tammy, and little Earl all of a sudden gets sexist as hell and says this isn't a ballet class. Wow. She snaps back, saying she's already better in the ring than Earl. Chuck is having none of this and just starts flirting with her. Now. Later that night, we're at Mary's house. She's dancing around when her neighbor is he opens his window to once again meg on her. But it's obviously these two like each other, and we know this because they smile at each other when they turned away to leave. Awe and I love the proximity of the two. You can tell they grew up next to each other. It's that kind of thing. They're on the thing. It's almost Romeo and Juliet.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, giving me a little Romeo and Y with the little stairway.
Speaker 1: And it's great, it's great.
Speaker 2: It was so cute.
Speaker 1: The next day, Kenneth braids his daughter's hair and it looks insane. It's standing up everywhere, entangled. She's terrified, but obviously he's doing his best to try to keep their lives normal because their mom passed away. This is a theme that keeps coming back. He is really struggling, but with a smile on his face to have some semblance of normalcy for his.
Speaker 2: Children, and his children are really reacting to him as best as they can't.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was very real in that way.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember my dad, my mom went away for my sister's eighth grade trip, and my dad had to do my hair, and I will tell you I did not give him the grace that these children will give me.
Speaker 1: Dad.
Speaker 2: I was like, I cannot go to school like this. I won't go to school like this.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean. So he went to an easier side, pony, but it.
Speaker 1: Was just like, well, have you apologized since for her?
Speaker 2: I have?
Speaker 1: Okay, I have. I got it.
Speaker 2: I can't believe how tough I was on him, poor guy.
Speaker 1: The phone rings and Karen asked Izzy to do her hair the way Mom used to. She admits she misses her and Izzy says he does too. The phone call was alerting Kenneth that there was a leak at the gym, so he's got to run over there, but Karen reminds him about the double Dutch competition she wanted to go to. He tells Eazy to take her, and she seals the deal by telling her brother that Mary will be there too. Chuck a little earl want to go to the movies. They try to get Easy to go to the movies with them, but he's taking a sister and now two of her friends who also got roped in to roped in to Double Dutch. So the guys decided to walk along with him for a bit, and that's when they run into Big Bad Rodney. I added to bat it's really just a big Brodney. Not only is he is he's next opponent, but it turns out the neighborhood bully as well, and we find him right in the middle of picking on a smaller kid Is. He confronts him and we get a nose stare down. Rodney says is he doesn't have a chance against him, and then intimidatingly struts away. So yeah, we're at the next Double Dutch meet. Izzy has arrived with Karen and her friends and he's reunited with Mary. She can't believe he's there. And that's when we meet the Dutch Dragons. Oh, this is when both Sue and I are like, oh, rival Double Dutch team best movie ever. They are a rival group of snooty Double Dutchers that have won regionals four years in a row. It is led by mean girl Gina and they're always competing with Mary squad the joy Jumpers, which includes a new recruit. Oh Yolanda, don't get me started on Yolanda right now, I will get upset. We'll get into Yolanda later.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: The competition begins and is he begrudgingly takes a seat to watch over his sister. We get some great action shots here, one foot hops, crisscross and high knees, double dutch is in full effect. It's all very impressive, even to Izzy. But the one thing I like is they did kind of what Spin did and what some of these other movies did, where if you're being introduced into a microworld, you need an audience surrogant to literally explain to you what's happening. So I don't know how to DJ. So he Max was going and Spin okay, and this is the button for the fader and okay, great. So you had this guy saying, hey, here are the compulsory things you have to do in the meat. You have to do high knees, you have to do this. Yes, And it was.
Speaker 2: Super hotan explaining the layout of what we're learning because I have I mean to tell you the truth, This scene impressed the hell out of me. I'm like, holy, okay, so it's not just using one rope and I was expecting the flips and the titting the ground and things like that. You're telling me right now these people are trading the ropes with someone else and.
Speaker 1: Taking it in the middle, and yep.
Speaker 2: It's not we don't stop and then start over.
Speaker 1: Holy, yeah it was great. It's like, wow, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: This is what's so cool is I've literally never ever watched anything like this before, and I am so impressed and going yeah wow.
Speaker 1: And you've never double.
Speaker 2: Dutched, and I've never double I've never even tried. I do only I mean I might have tried, but I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I got so good at it back in the day that I actually was the first triple Dutch champion that ever happened. There's a third rope involved, and I'm not going to tell you how it comes into play, because you got to you gotta know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They do use a lot of very impressive jump ropers in this movie, especially for these longer montage scenes. Here's where we see that Izzy is it only impressed. It seems like the whole new world like for us of double Dutch, is just opened up to him. He loves this and should because I could do. After the competition, Karen congratulates Mary and one of Karen's weirdo friends asks Izzy for a hot dog. He says no and looks at her in disgust. This part has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. I just wanted to point it.
Speaker 4: Out, like this is can I say this? I think this is one of the best parts in any dcom we've ever seen. It's so good because randomly a girl asks him if and he looks at her and you're disgusted, like I don't even know who you are.
Speaker 1: It's so great, and he's just giving him like the they had like nine other snacks, and she's like, can I have a hot dog? He's like no, this guy, it's so funny.
Speaker 4: And also that character never comes back.
Speaker 1: It's great no, but.
Speaker 2: It is like a little bit of a nod to what was said earlier on in the street when his sister's like, I hope you have money because we're all hungry, and he's like, what the hell? Oh, now I have to pay for three children to eat all day, like.
Speaker 1: I have a hot dog? No. I love that. Mary wants to know what is he thought of double Dutch and he continues to downplay everything. He says you, I'm not bad. Hey, fourth place, but that's when those skank Dutch drafts passed by with their first place trophies.
Speaker 3: Oh, the joy Jumpers they.
Speaker 1: Have that's a great question they should ask themselves. Great question, Sabrina. The joy Jumpers have to step it up to compete, but they know they're missing something. By the way, anytime I get into one of these movies you name it, if it's a karate kid kind of movie. Any once I pick a team, the other team I instantly hate. Seriously, there may have been multiple times last night in my home where either my wife or I uttered the phrase the Dutch drag, So just letting you know that may have happened. And don't get me started on Yolanda.
Speaker 2: So we were in but I did have one quick thing to say. It's gonna be a Sabritac's but whatever, it has to be said now since we're talking so much about them.
Speaker 3: I thought the leader of the skank dragons they're telling him now was the same was the boxer girl the box I think it was so similar.
Speaker 2: I had to rewind and go because I was like, oh, this is a new layer. She also.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: They look very similar.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because I thought the one I thought the girl who was the boxing girl, I thought she looked a lot like Daniel Larusso's daughter in Cobra Kai. I thought that they those two looked very similar to me. But yeah, so any but anyway.
Speaker 2: I thought it was the same actor that she was like also a double Dutch, and I was like, ooh, this is gonna get good because he's gonna have to like figure out how to interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, no different people, Okay, where was I? Oh, that's right, the Dutch dragons. So the next day at school is he sees Rodney getting hand me down clothes from the principal, then only a few seconds later he throws them away in the ring. It turns out he's a beast, but at school he's just a poor kid with problems. We are now back at the gym is he's getting ready in the locker room, trading to some steady R and B for our friend Drew. Seally, eventually he's brought to the ring by his dad and the gym is about like a quarter filled with background actors all oddly sitting on one side of the ring. So it must have been a shooting thing. It's Felix versus Rodney, the kid who throws out donated clothes and coach. Felix is the ref. Kenneth hypes up his son, reminding him that boxing is twenty percent talent and eighty percent heart, which is a formula that many could argue is completely wrong. But anyway, then the bell rings the fight is begun. Rodney is the first to connect with a body blow and takes an early lead in round one. He adds insult to injury by tripping Izzy in between rounds. The second round starts and Izzy takes control. He's landing jab after jab, trapping him against the ropes. We see little Earl and Chuck rooting him on, and then Rodney takes a big swing and misses. He falls to the ground, which in boxing is usually just ruled an accidental fall, but in this movie, apparently it means Izzy one the referee raises his hand in victory without even counting. It's just raw, Like, I was like, wait, what did you notice this?
Speaker 2: I was like, I mean, Disney's usually really good about placing, like when they're when they're doing wrestling, they know the rules and what. I'm like, how did you guys miss that? I feel like anyone who's not even into rust or into boxing knows that you've got a count.
Speaker 1: You can't just I feel like this goes back to something else we talked about where I don't think they're allowed because if you go back and watch, you never really see any of the punches.
Speaker 4: Land.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're allowed to show punches. So he couldn't go and knock this guy out. But then it's boxing, so how do you You can't do it? He trips and loses.
Speaker 2: It was weird, but it was It was interesting. That was one of my first things once we said boxing, and I was like, oh, brilliant when it comes to joke broping, But like, how's Disney gonna handle this sport? Because this is like wrestling different ryes exactly. It's you the punches that have to be done in boxing. How are they going to handle this?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: That's where it started going, Okay, we're in a little bit of missteps here.
Speaker 1: Which is exactly why let it shine. When she slaps him and let it shine, it was so out of character. It's like, oh, she hit him, you know, we don't so so yeah, we were both like, what so that's one of the things. But it was that this it didn't work here for that. But anyway, is he and his father embraced in the middle of the ring, and Rodney looks devastated and again for good reason. He didn't really lose, he only tripped. But we are now back in the street. Is. He has a trash bag in his hands and he slyly wrings a doorbell, leaves the bag and runs across the street. He watches as, by the way, he's the worst hider ever. I think, Corbyn, we'd be able to we have a hide and see.
Speaker 2: Championship are supposed Are you hiding?
Speaker 1: I see you, I know exactly. You're ten feet away and I can see you. He watches as Rodney looks through the items, he wonders who's left it and brings it inside. Is he's not only a good fighter, he's good guy and has a very good heart. While hiding, he overhears a discussion between Mary and Yolanda nearby. Yolanda's quitting the team. She's in it to win it and the jumpers, ain't it.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Later that night, Mary is back in the back no don't even start with me, because then we find out she joined the Dutch Dragon. Later that night, Mary is back of the balcony crying is he jokes from his window, don't jump. It can't be that bad. She won't tell him why she's crying, but congratulates him on his boxing win. And before she I'd also like to point out this was just me, but it seems like he's always there for her competitions now, like he's all in. But she never went to his boxing matches, did she?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so all right, maybe support him a little.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a one way street. I'm just saying, I'm saying, I'm sorry, but Kiki, you really should wake up this Corbyn Blue knocking at your door, girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly. This man is so cute and powerful. He can win boxing matches when the other guy just falls down of his own accord. That's the power of Corbyn Blue.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, don't ever forget it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She won't tell him why she's crying, but she congratulates him on his boxing win, and before she leaves to help her mom, he tells her he needs to sleep while he's training, so please don't snore tonight she smiles and he impersonates her snore and the tomfoolery great word between these two love interests just continues. The next day at school, Little Earl and Chuck are giving a blow by blow breakdown of Izzy's wins to his classmate. This isn't cool with is he listening in? And that's when Rodney walks up. He doesn't look happy. Rodney interjects with what we've literally been thinking for the entire movie. Now he tripped, he didn't lose, and he needs free clothes. Someone helped me out here is He says he's won. It's over, but Rodney wants his rematch. You know, maybe this time we could actually fight and one of us could punch each other. He thinks Isney got lucky and calls him a chicken again. Rodney's completely right here. He should get a rematch and a brand new referee. We are now back in the neighborhood. Mary and the joy Jumpers found out Yolanda joined the Dutch Dragons. Oh Yolanda, don't get me started. They need to come up with a replacement, but how much to Mary's dismay, Izzy arrives and sarcastically offers up his sister and once again degrades jump roping. Mary says, yeah, if it's so easy than is he, you should try it. Mary shows him how it's done and Izzy studies. Eventually, ready to take a turn. He hesitates, then crashes into the ropes. But wait, whoa, whoa. He wants one more try, so he jumps in and now wait, he's doing it and he's pretty good too. Everyone's impressed as he walks away gloating. The team is all thinking the same thing, but Mary warns them don't even go there. We're now back at the gym. Mary arrives with the joy jumpers. They ask Izzy if he joined the team. At first, he just laughs it off, but Mary explains the city finals are in a couple of weeks and the competition is tough. They could use his skills, but he declines he can't go out like that. He's a boxer. They beg but he says no, and Mary says she's already forgotten him. We're now back at home, is he is warned by his sister at the door. Dad is making smelly chicken again, so Izzy runs off to get some pizza and sees the joy jumpers minus Mary eating at a table. They try to recruit him again. They promise that they only need him until they find somebody else. He seems more interested now that he just have to fill in. They tell him, oh yeah, and Mary really wants him to join, so of course he accepts their invitation. But then we quick cut to the girl still with Izzy, trying to explain the new development to Mary. She quickly responds, over my dead body. Is he's hurt enough, He's not staying anywhere where he isn't wanted. But the girls aren't given up, and at the last second Mary gives in. Is he is joining the joy jumper as well? Kind of practice is tomorrow at the park, but is He isn't feeling doing this out in public. He suggests they do it inside the boxing gym, especially since he knows his dad won't get there until eight am. That's not how a box gym works. He usually opens super early. They can start at six. Mary avoids the group hog, but we all have high hopes for this squad. The next morning, is he is fast asleep and woken by Mary knocking on his door. Again. Boxers get up at like four o'clock in the morning. To run, but whatever, it's time for practice. We are now at the gym. The girls are stretching and is He doesn't quite get why they aren't jumping already. It's just double dutch, but they assure him it's a sport like football, baseball or boxing. Mary quickly shows him an impressive move and asks him to mimic it. He jumps into the rope, and of course, he flubs it up quickly. The girls laugh. Mary and Izzy are still butting heads, but then real practice begins, and so does my favorite amontage. We see Izzy and Mary sharing a jump roping session and he's learning quickly. He's waking up on time for practice and even conditioning at home. Is He takes his shot at a freestyle routine and he kills it. The girls are very impressed, and Izzy has even started practicing in the street out in public. He has exhausted, though, switching between boxing and jump roping, even falling asleep in class, and unbeknownst to the joy jumpers who are getting really good, Tammy, the female boxing student from earlier, stumbles into their practice and learns the secret of their new member. We also learned that Izzy's real name is is ADOR's Is that a common name?
Speaker 2: That's a part of a section in my Sabrena seeds that I'm gonna leave out. But I have never that felt like a made up name for Disney.
Speaker 1: I've never is a door before? Yeah, I think, yeah, isn't is a door Duncan?
Speaker 2: Somebody I that was a I've never seen the name never, I have never seen, never heard of it. And Izzy is usually well I've only heard of Izzy as being short for Isabella. I've never heard of is the door?
Speaker 1: Okay, there are there are many famous people with the name isidor is Adora.
Speaker 2: Including a you googling it right now?
Speaker 1: Of course I am is a doora Duncan. Is Ador Strauss is a door? Gordon Asher I don't know? Okay, Well, of course, I mean you've heard of Isidoor Gordon Asher, who is a famous British Canadian poet from eighteen thirty five to nineteen thirty three. How do you not know this famous Canadian poet? No, okay, So there are some it's it's there, there are some, but yes, it's it's not a.
Speaker 2: Common Yeah, yeah, regardless, I got passive fast because I love the boxer robes that they get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so cool, we'll get you, We'll get you one. During a sparring session the now depleted i Is, he gets knocked down by Tammy, who insults him about being a boy on a double dutch team. WHOA wait a minute, how did she know? Later he confronts her about it, but she says she'll keep it on the DL as long as he stops insulting her for being a girl boxer. She reveals she likes chuck Is. He happily agrees to this deal. Back at home, IS He's late for dinner and his dad is not happy about this. Kenneth says, their mom ate dinner at seven, so they eat at seven sharp. The next day, is He is running again, which honestly takes up about sixty percent of this movie. How much can one person run in Brooklyn? Actually it's Toronto. He just this, He's just He's like Forrest Gump, where he's just running everywhere. He passes a young double dutch team in the park performing some wild, untraditional tricks, and he loves what he sees. He rushes to his double dutch practice and he has an idea. They need a new routine and this, by the way, the first time when I don't even like saying her name, Yolanda goes up to Mary and says, hey, our routine is whack. Sue and I the entire night we're going like, they got to get a routine that's not whack. That's the only way they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Win, clearly.
Speaker 1: And so that's my new favorite saying, is this routine is whack.
Speaker 2: Just for the record, right, But he really he hits it hard here he does.
Speaker 1: He says the routine is boring, and the other girls actually agree. They need something fun and fresh for the freestyle. By the way, this is a an old trope. It's in everything. This is pitch perfect. This is every movie. Hey, what we've been doing is played got we gotta pick it up. But this is before all those movies. So maybe this was the start of it. They need more tricks, and he decides then he's gonna take them to the park. He shows them those kids practicing. They're still doing flippy flips and floppy flips and splitty splits and stuff, and is he says, it is not about competition, it's about having fun. Mary is intrigued. We're now back at the gym again. Is he is nowhere to be found. His dad is surprised he's late, but we know that he's with the Double Dutch team having a great time. They're walking the streets joking around with some possible Double Dutch songs and that's when ooh, big Rod and he sees them again. He mocks Izzy and insults him in front of the girls. He grabs Izzy, and an attempt to help, Mary douses him with a bucket of ice, and then they all turn and run in fear. Is He gets home and spots Mary out on the balcony again. She spends a lot of time in the balcony, but I think it's because she wants to talk to Dizzy. She thanks him for not exactly for nothing and everything. He decides to climb to her balcony and admit he's starting to love double Dutch, maybe even more than boxing, but it's complicated because of his dad. Mary says she had a similar situation with ballet until she finally put her foot down and told her mom she wanted to jump rope. And then Mary kisses Izzy boom out of nowhere, gives is he a kissie. She's quickly embarrassed and leaves to work on her routine, but you can tell she's flying high. I thought it was a very nice, quick Disney esque peck on the lips, and then a moment of like, I can't believe I just did that. It was great.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's so true to how many people have their first little kiss. You know, it was so sweet.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping I'm gonna have one sit by the.
Speaker 2: Way all in on this movie.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, No, yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: They can't know they can do no wrong.
Speaker 1: That great.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: At this point, we are now back in his room and he turns around and there's his dad, who is not happy. He wants to know where is he's been and why he's missed curfew is He stumbles, eventually landing on out with my friends and being actually kind of rude about it. Kenneth knows something is wrong and demands he focused on the upcoming Golden Gloves. The next day, Rodney rushes isz He and grabs him. It's not over Daddy's boy, but he's luckily saved by the principal, Miss Roberts, the lady who gave out the garbage bags for clothes, who sends Rodney to detention. We're now back at double Dutch practice. Is He and Mary are straight up pros by now, But things go from bad to worse with Rodney, who sneaks into the gym and sees his nemesis jumping rope with girls. He sneakily takes some photos and finally has the AMMO he needs. But the girls feel ready for the regionals, even though they still need to find a fourth Remember at this point, is He is still just temporary. But then is he gives in. He'll join the team. He doesn't want to let them down, and his boys don't need to know anything about it, and just like that, he's a joy jumper. But the showcase is just in three days, and he wants to change your name. He suggests the Hot Chili Steppers, which is an obvious reference to the rock band Metallica. It's the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Wait, wait, you don't like the Hot Chili Steppers.
Speaker 2: No, I hated it.
Speaker 1: What would your name have been? By the way, Sue and I spent twenty minutes last night trying to come up with the name of our own double Dutch team, and we came up with nothing good. By the way, you don't know what.
Speaker 2: You do dog there, I don't know. I mean, it's it, I get it. It's catchy. But let's go Dutch.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. Let's go Dutch is a great that's a great team name. Oh I love it. Come on the Hot Chili Steppers. I wonder if they literally couldn't make it the Red Hot Chili Steppers, because that would have been better, but they probably weren't allowed to do that. So you didn't like the thought. Wow, no, I.
Speaker 2: Just kind of was like I thought it would be like, I don't know, something something just a little bit bringing in their characters like Red Hot Chili Steppers. Feels like they also would be listening to like band music, like right, but maybe.
Speaker 1: Something with boxing or the ring or something like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, something more like I don't know, Funky or got.
Speaker 1: The Brooklyn Balcony Steppers.
Speaker 2: Something like that, something that made more sense for them that was like an out of like what well chili, So where would that even come from?
Speaker 1: Luckily Sabrina wasn't on their team because the rest of the team love it, and just like that, they are ready to win. We are now back at home is He leaves for the showcase, but accidentally forgets the showcase pamphlet on his dresser, and his dad surprises him with boxing tickets, which causes a real dilemma of what he's going to do. Will he go to the showcase or not ruffle his dad's feathers by attending the boxing match with him. We cut to the showcase where Mary is pacing waiting for Izzy. She thinks he'll make it, but the other girls aren't so sure. Uh wow, they're now out of time. The Hot Chili Steppers, the Red Hot Chili Steppers, the Hot Chili stuff, the joy Jumpers must take the stage as just three. That night, Izzy and his dad returned from the fight, but the showcase is obviously weighing heavily on his mind. He goes to the window and calls her Mary, but she's rightfully very angry. He just bailed. They were counting on Izzy and they look like fools on stage. He thinks there was nothing he could have done about the boxing match and his dad, but Mary disagrees he could have made a choice, so she makes one for him and kicks him off the team. Double dutching is serious to her and she can no longer rely on him. Fair play to you.
Speaker 2: Mary.
Speaker 1: The next day, at the gym, Iszy, Chuck, and Little Earl are watching Tammy Sparr. When Earl calls her lucky, Izzy jumps in a defens her She's not lucky, she's good and not for a girl, for anybody. He's starting to finally see the sexism inherit in sports. He says, just because she's a girl doesn't mean she can't box, and guys can do other stuff too. Meanwhile, the Chili Steppers tell Mary they need Ezzy. They can't compete in the city finals without a fourth and they miss him. Mary still isn't sure, and when Izy arrives at school the next day, he is shocked to see photos of him double dutching printed on pink paper taped up everywhere. The entire student body is laughing at him. Even Little Earl and Chuck give him a hard time. Roddy admits he did it, and Izzy runs out just as Mary sees the photos. This to me was like, I didn't really get why this was such a big deal. If he's the most popular kid in school in a boxer, why couldn't even like, yeah, I box to stay in shape and I get to do it with some pretty ladies. How do you not understand that.
Speaker 2: Because zach Efron cannot play basketball.
Speaker 1: That's what I means. This is it's such a Disney thing. You can do one thing or another. That's it.
Speaker 2: I think that is very true in high school. Not anymore, no, but still I think it is. Still It's not as crazy, but I do think like the captain of the football team isn't also on the dance team.
Speaker 1: Remember I told you though that I had that conversation with that woman from Disney who was one of the heads of t cooms at the time, when I pitched something very similar to this. She's like, oh my god in the mid two thousands, just like this. She's like, exactly what Disney Channel was about. You can do this or you can do that Eddie's million dollar bake off High School Musical jump in pick one another. She says, when we showed High School Musical to the modern audience in twenty twenty two, whenever it was she said, everyone was like, why does any just do both?
Speaker 2: It's not as big of a deal, But I do think that you still kind of resonate with the conflict in your brain at that age.
Speaker 1: Can I do?
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean, I do think it's just something that's innate, like I guess, something that's looked at to not be what your dream was, and like what you think of as far as like whether it's masculine or tough or you know what I mean, or even you know, it's the crossovers still in their brains.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: But like a lot of the double Dutch narrative change that it's changing.
Speaker 1: But yes, but even then they showed great double Dutch teams that were all men that were kicking butt towards the.
Speaker 2: End there totally just on the same as the dance world. You'll see, Yeah, when guys come out on the stage like it's like amazing, you know, and you're going you know, but it's not always known that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. It's different. Now back in his room, Is he feels defeated. He looks to old photos of his mom for help. Mary is knocking in the window, hoping to talk, but Is he just ignores her. Maybe he should just go for a run. The next day, Kenneth leaves his own golden gloves necklace from when he was a kid on Isy's bed, and while he's there, he finds one of the Double Dutch photos in the trash can. Kenneth quickly confronts his son and wants to talk about it, and after his snitch ass sister Karen says something. Kenneth can't believe his son is on Mary's Double Dutch team. He knows this is the reason his mind hasn't been in the ring is. He says he didn't tell his dad earlier because he wouldn't have listened. It has nothing to do with boxing, and that's all they've talked about since his mom died. In his anger, he says, just because you don't have a life anymore doesn't mean I have to give you mine.
Speaker 2: Ooh.
Speaker 1: This hurts Kenneth and Izzy tries to apologize, but his dad just leaves to get some milk. We're back up in his room. I he sees his dad's golden gloves necklace and it stings even more. We are now at the gym is he is boxing. When Mary stops by. She wants to talk, but he immediately tells her he's not jumping rope anymore. He's focusing on boxing. Mary tells him he loves Double Dutch, but he's not hearing it. She leaves hurt, and that's when Tammy appears. She knows the Double Dutch regionals are tomorrow, and she can't believe he's just gonna punk out because people are laughing at you. What are you thinking? What if she listened to his friends insulting her, then she wouldn't be the best girl boxer in the city. I really liked her character.
Speaker 2: I thought she did too, and she was so sweet.
Speaker 1: She was great. That night, as he's leaving the gym, he's rushed by Rodney and a bunch of his friends. Rodney just keeps rushing up on him. Rodney gets right in is his face. He wants to rematch asap is He finally says, all right, fine, let's do it right now then, and so, surrounded by people who apparently hate Izzy, they start the rematch little owin chuck shop, but they do get there late, but hey, at least he's got some friendly faces in the audience. In the ring, they trade very small punches, but the verbal jabs are the most damaging part of the fight so far. But when Rodney misses a haymaker. Is he does some flips to the other side of the ring. Whoa, He's using double dutch and boxing. Everyone is loving it. Rodney is intimidated as is. He keeps doing bigger and bigger tricks. But between punches, while locked up, is he apologizes about Rodney's dad and says he's sorry he beat him, but he doesn't want to fight again. Is He retreats and Rodney races after him, only to trip and fall out of the ring. Now on the ground, I couldn't believe this. The crowd and Sad and Rodney are just sitting there and they're encouraging him to finish him. Is he supposed to just go and beat this guy when he's on the ground, He's he's supposed to kill him? What's supposed to its finish hit?
Speaker 2: I mean, although it happened in the ring, they're treating it as if this is a school yard fight and like pummeling him, and I'm going, WHOA, finish him?
Speaker 1: What does that mean? It's like they hand him a sword, They're like, finish him?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe it. Of course, is he doesn't do it, but I was like finish him. Wow is He says he's just tired of being mad all the time, and the audience applauds. As he leaves the gym, Rodney brushes himself off, actually rather impressed. No one has ever stepped up to him like this before. Now at the Double Dutch City Finals, which is a massive sold out American Idol like production, apparently the teams are in full swing practicing the Chili Steppers of a ride, but they don't expect Easy to join him. They've replaced him with a girl named Abrina who seems to have absolutely terrible vision. But that's when they see that Is He is there. He's made it, He listened to his heart, goes over and apologize to Mary, but after a little bit of hazing, she forgives him and hands him a uniform. They embrace, and things are really looking up for our favorite jump ropers. Aparently we don't have to worry about Abrina. It seems like this has been a really bad deal for her. I hope at least she got a ride home, but I doubt it because you never even see her again. And then right on, cue, oh, right on, cue, the Dutch Dragons pop up, talking trash and promising to win. The rival was stronger than ever and who's standing right next to himlanda don't get me started again on Yolanda Oh irrationally angry. Then we get a Kiki, Then we get a good Kiki Palmer song jumping. As the competition begins, all the teams take the stage, including the Chili Steppers and the Dragons, with moves being called out by an MC. For the first round, we see, of all people, Rodney entered the event, but we can't tell if he's there in peace or he's going to shoot the place up. We also see little Earl, Chuck and Tammy in the stands supporting Izzie. The judges quickly give the results for the first round. Third place the Sunshine Steppers, second place the Dutch Dragons, and in first place the Red Hot Chili Steppers. That's not it, it's just Chili Steppers, but the Hot Chili Steppers. But yes, with that first victory, we see Rodney turn around and leave. But now the speed round is done, judges give third place to another team we've never heard it before, second place to the Chili Steppers, and first place to the Dragons. That means it's a tie, and we now have a final category, the free style round. Oh yeah, this will determine the champs. I was so looking forward to this. Now, watching some of the teams step it up for this round, has is He very nervous, but he knows he can depend on his team and they are ready for this. The Dutch Dragons finish their great routine and now the Chili Steppers are up. As Izzy gets into a place, he sees his dad take his seat. He came and he's all smiling and supportive. This is great. The music starts, another track from Kiki Palmer and it becomes a glow in the dark session for the Chili Steppers. Yes, the crowd loves it, including Izzy's dad and Rodney, who didn't actually leave. He's still there. And just as the first routine ends, new song starts and this is a song by Corbyn Blue called Push It to the Limit.
Speaker 2: This is song, this is the song.
Speaker 1: This is high school musical high school.
Speaker 2: It starts playing and I was like, it's like, wait a second, wait a minute, I know this song. I know this song. I thought this is a high school musical song. Yes, And then and it's a bop.
Speaker 1: It is it is abop, but they also have done something very strange. I know nothing about the rules, but I can't imagine this is okay. They ditched the jump ropes and now they're just dancing, so I don't know how this is allowed. It is probably allowed by the same RAF who just a fall is a is a win.
Speaker 2: They lost me a little bit on this. I was, okay, you know, it's just dancing.
Speaker 1: Now now you're just dancing.
Speaker 2: You have completely completely foregone the rules that have been set in place that we found out early in the.
Speaker 1: Why not just pick up a guitar movie. I don't understand what, yes, what's happening. I don't know how this is allowed. But they do throw on some boxing moves there too, But I can't help but wonder should there be this much non jump roping in a jump rope competition? I think no, no either way. The ropes eventually returning, Izzy does us crazy double batflip that seems almost not human. The track ends and the crowd goes nuts. We are now backstage. Mary celebrates with her mom, while Izzy's dad apologizes to his son. He wants them to be able to talk about anything and it's been hard since his mom died. But he loves Izzy. Boxing is Kenneth Stream. It doesn't have to be Izzy's. He's proud of Izzy, and he knows his mom would be too. They hug with tears in their eyes. My wife was bawling by.
Speaker 2: The eye was a soppy mess, she was to say.
Speaker 1: And she slapping me, going why do I keep crying at these movies? Why do I keep crying at these movies?
Speaker 2: This is like a moment, you know, it would hit so hard for me because when Roe is dancing, and this whole weekend we've been prepping for her first competition dancing, and I say it over and over again, but I just want her to always know, like, just because dancing was my thing, it doesn't have to be her thing.
Speaker 1: Is it gonna bother you if she says she doesn't want to dance.
Speaker 2: I think it will. It will be a sad moment in the sense of, like I love watching her dance, but I'm gonna love watching her do anything. She just at the bott end of the day, she just must have something. You are not going to sit at home and watch YouTube is what You're not gonna do. What you're gonna do is something I don't care if you're painting.
Speaker 1: Soccer, what support you and what happen?
Speaker 2: Support you? But you wouldn't done something. But yeah, I mean I love watching her dance, but I know I love watching her do anything she wants. So really it was really a moment.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, glad we don't film me ourselves.
Speaker 1: Watching Sue was an absolute sobbing mess.
Speaker 2: R there Sue right there with her.
Speaker 1: They all hug with tears in their eyes, and then I is He sees little Earl Chuck and Tammy, who all love the performance, and it looks like Chuck and Tammy are now a couple. Way to go be story characters. I love that, and then set us up.
Speaker 2: For maybe a sequel, like I'm ready.
Speaker 1: For it, jump into this time it's personal. And then Izzy sees Rodney, who admits he isn't there to fight. He came because double Dutch is kind of cool for a daddy's boy. They call a truce and shake hands. Now at the competition finish, only the top three can go to the state finals. The MC announces third place the horribly named and just inappropriate Kung Fu Flyers. Second place the Dutch Dragons, fil Yolanda and so now in first place. It's boom. We freeze and hear the narrator again. He says they all learned something that day because Izzy stood up for himself and it changed the narrator's life forever. We cut to a group of children gathering in the gym listening to a story. The kids want to know the ending. What did they go to State? Did maryon Izzy fall in love? What happened? The narrator is revealed to be Rodney. He's instructing kids these days and admits the Steppers did not win state that year, but they did win the following year and Mary and Izzy are still going strong. We cut back the competition and first place was the Red Hot Chili Steppers, just the Hot Chili Steppers. But I love that Mary is he hold up their trophy and we cut to the Chili Steppers now practicing in the street. A few days later. They're encouraging Kenneth to jump in. Though hesitant, he eventually does and he's actually pretty good. And that is our movie. BAM very happy with that. You know, hey, that was a fun eighty five minutes. What can you say?
Speaker 2: It is it was?
Speaker 1: It was, it really really was. Let's do some real reviews, Let's see what other people thought about it. And I think I have the one star review this week, and this is one star from m Retchwani. One of the worst films I've ever seen. This is a disgusting piece of garbage. The acting is wooden, direction is woeful, and the script I just wanted to kill myself every time the characters open their mouths. I mean, how many people seriously go to a skip rope competition? Are these teenagers or five year olds? It was just a supremely irritating film and highly advise anyone with half a brain cell to avoid this at all costs. Now, excuse me while I swallow a bottle of painkillers. There's a whole nother thing going on with m Rachwani, which I don't think really has anything to do with jump In.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you could just not be more wrong.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Yeah, you could not be wrong. I hope man or missus, whoever it is.
Speaker 2: Yes, I hope you've seeked counseling. It's this should A movie should never make you feel this crazy.
Speaker 1: You know, you can feel irrationally angry at Yolanda, which I still do. But you can't think that bad about this.
Speaker 2: I need to talk about it a little bit, but I think it's OK.
Speaker 1: I will deal with my anger in my own way. I'm going to double I'm going to double dutch this energy away. Don't think yes, yes, what about you, Sabrina? What do we have for the five star review?
Speaker 2: The five star this week goes from our friend Ooh Namad Yes named I see movies like this because of my wife. Don't blame me, but it's good.
Speaker 1: Corbin is dreamy, well said, I don't think anything need anything more than that golf.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: We are now, as I say every week to Sabrina's favorite part of the program. This is, of course our little feature game that producer Jensen comes up with, and this week we have something called jump Ropes or chump Dopes, thank you very much. One of the best parts about Double Dutch are the names of the teams. We saw Joy Jumpers, the Hot Chili Steppers, Kung Fu Flyers, Dutch Dragons and many more in this movie. So we are going to get a Double Dutch team name, and we have to decide if it's a real name. Found as an active squad on the website jump Rope videos dot Com.
Speaker 4: Which is bookmarked. I'm gonna see it every day. I'm gonna check it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I should hope so or something that. Of course, producer Jensen just totally made up. So we hear a name and we say Reeler fake. If we get three out of five.
Speaker 2: This is just like flipping a coin, Jensen.
Speaker 4: A coin over a jump rope.
Speaker 1: Number one, we've got the bouncing Bulldogs. Do we think that's real or fake?
Speaker 2: The bouncing Bulldogs.
Speaker 1: Sure, I think he's gonna start us with a real one. I'm gonna say real.
Speaker 4: Congratulations. They're out of Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Yes. Number two, we've got visual the bouncy bulldogs. Number two we've got the jam and Jumpers. No, this is gonna be one of those things where all of these are going to be real or I don't know. No, the jam and Jumpers sounds like something Jensen made up.
Speaker 4: Offensive to the jumpers in Wadsworth, Ohio.
Speaker 1: Are real?
Speaker 2: See? Yeah, I know, I think these are probably actually ship Wizards.
Speaker 1: The third one is the Skip Wizards, and I'm hoping yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 4: Skip Wizards are real. They're out of Jefferson, Maryland. Shout out to the Skip Wizards.
Speaker 2: Ship Wizards. They have like wands and stuff that they would or the Merlin hat.
Speaker 1: You couldn't get the rope.
Speaker 4: The Merlin hat would be let down. You couldn't hit the rope everything.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Number four, the Rope and Renegades.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why not.
Speaker 1: You're gonna go against Sabrina and say this one's fake?
Speaker 4: It will's hit three. Let's see how we're doing well.
Speaker 2: Rope and Renegade.
Speaker 1: Did you make that up?
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Number five that the Sonic Steppers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Sonic Steppers.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say that one's real too.
Speaker 4: It's fake my kids playing with a Sonic doll. I used it in the name.
Speaker 1: Once again. I wanted Sabrina lost. Let's get at Sabrina season two. We're gonna get better at these, I promise you.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jensen's just gonna get crazier with them.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Producer Jensen.
Speaker 2: Thank you Jensen.
Speaker 1: Can we now do a Sabrina sees.
Speaker 2: We can? So there's just so many I mean, it was more so like love this, love that, Oh my gosh, corporate sister. I mean, it's just kind of like all these just great acknowledgments of the choices that were made in this movie. The only thing there was the one moment at the beginning that I had like a laugh out loud moment and it was next to Yolanda. It was the friend and I don't know if we ever catch her name. I never really did throughout the movie, but she's she's in it. She's she's in it to win it with the group. But she has this face when Geeky's going back and forth with Yolanda, and her face is just like it's like, oh my gosh, I bet you When she resaw that, she was like, Paul couldn't have found one cut that I did look back.
Speaker 1: I mean, as long as she's she's she's throwing hate at Yolanda.
Speaker 2: Man, Yes, yes, okay. So we went, we talked about everything. What we didn't talk about was and I thought you were going to bring it up, but I'm like, I'm gonna save this the hug that happens when he accepts the invitation to be on the team and he hugs the two girls. Yep, it was a moment that I went, this is too sexual. I can't handle it. When he looks at it, he can't goes there's room for one more. I was like, ah ah, Corbyn, you shut that down right now, you stop it? Okay, did you did that, Noble?
Speaker 1: I mean I just in my head when you're Corbin women at a time, that's just your Corbin Blue. Come on, you need one for each threat. You be with the dancer, you be with the singer, you be with the actors.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I couldn't. I literally was like, shut it down. I kind of love that. That's great. Okay. Kim Roberts is in this movie. This is how it absolutely has to happen in Toronto. Do you remember Kim Roberts. She's the one that plays the principal in this one. She played my mom and she played like a scientist in I forget what her mouth. I feel like she's in this and her name is miss Missus Roberts. I was like, oh my god, like I just now, yes, now she's now, she's so part of the channel, Like she's just now Missus Roberts. Pull her in. Whenever you need someone who looks like very educated and just one of those pristine powerhouse people.
Speaker 1: Is she only in the is she only in the first Cheata Girls does she come back as your mom and the second Cheater Girl?
Speaker 2: The first two the other two were not in New York at all, Got You, Got You, Got You or Slash Toronto. So she was in there. Got to give her a nod. Maybe need to get her on the pod one day because she's throwing up everywhere. And then did you okay, did you know that? When did it click for you? Was it at the very end that Rodney was the narrator?
Speaker 1: No, it did not, because he's did you say the entire time? Who's narrating this?
Speaker 2: Yes? Who is this person that is like.
Speaker 1: The because himself and where he's like? Then then there's Rodney the Biggest.
Speaker 2: And then they hid his voice because the voice he uses while he's acting on camera is very different than the voice he narrates with. So I thought that shocked me. So I shocked the hell out of me. I was like, Rodney.
Speaker 1: Big here the whole time?
Speaker 2: What So that was a moment. And then the last thing. So, like I said, this movie, I loved it at this point. This is me being very picky about it, but I and the writing was so good. However, the writer with the names of the characters in this movie annoyed. I'm just Mary, Like we're doing a Disney movie and Mary, this is a very generic name. There's nothing against Mary's, right, I know several of them, love them all, but Mary Karen. Then we go to a little earl and we got Chuck. Yeah, it's Truelanda, which is by far. I have a past person in my life name Yolanda, so that's just the name that I have to like go with. And then at the end, well she was mentioned a tiny bit in the beginning we meet Aubrina. These names are so god awful, those and they bugged me the whole movie. I was so glad they don't use them a ton in those scripts. And they just kind of talked to each other.
Speaker 1: But is is your Yolanda from your past? Are you close with Yolanda? Did you like Yolanda or no? No, it's Yolanda's something about Yolanda I.
Speaker 2: Know, and she honestly wasn't her fault, probably, but Yolanda is a name that anyone that's ever Yolanda. I've got the like ready.
Speaker 1: To well talk, we'll talk off Mike. I want to know about what Yolanda did to you, because that's anyway.
Speaker 2: That's all I've got for this movie. Otherwise, I loved every Otherwise, all my soberrienas are like love it. Look at him, Corbin can do no wrong.
Speaker 1: It's great. I could watch corn do an He's great. So now we have to rate the movie, and I think we're both gonna rate it high. Frankly, our options this week are, yeah, let's do one out of ten and we'll make one the worst, okay, and we'll make ten the best. Do we want to do one out of ten? Funny smelling chilis one out of ten, one foot hops, kids asking for a hot dog one out of ten, garbage bags of clothes one out of ten, boxers just not getting knocked out, one out of ten is He's running one out of ten, Flippy flips and splitty splits, one out of ten Metallica steppers, one out of ten synergies, or finally, one out of ten B Story characters in love. I think you kidd you.
Speaker 2: Your dog, it's your turn.
Speaker 1: I wanted to do one out of ten boxers just tripping not getting knocked out? I really do no, No, I'm sorry, it has to be kids asking for hot dog?
Speaker 2: Kid, ask you for a hot dog? There we go.
Speaker 1: I did I rate first last time? Or did you? I think you went first last time? Didn't you? I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I can't remember either. I did you know you went last time?
Speaker 1: I went first? All right, so then you're first this time? What do you What do you got? Sabrina?
Speaker 2: I mean, the only thing that I will say that really did bother me because I just feel like it really wasn't needed in the movie. Obviously, well the names bothered me, but the moment when they stopped jump roping and just start dancing, Yeah, it was through me and pulled my rating down a little bit. It just didn't need to happen, and it took the movie and again, like we said, it hit all of the boxes we wanted. This is in the golden era of what I feel is the golden era of the d coms. What they were doing at the time, the reasons why they got so much ratings, I think show and it knocked it down from a nine point five to a nine for me. I loved this movie, and truly this morning just put it back on.
Speaker 4: Watching it as well.
Speaker 2: I was just getting the house ready and doing the you know my morning stuff. I just put it back on because you know what, I loved it and it was easy, easy, easy, loved, loved, loved.
Speaker 1: That's great. I'm not quite as high as you, but I'm not that far away. I really liked this movie. Again it is. It ticks all the Disney Channel boxes. You've got one of the cutest casts ever. Corbyn's a total star. This is a solid eight point five. I could I could go nine. This is an eight point five to nine for me. But since I'm solid eight point five, this was a good This is a good movie. It's it's eight point five kids asking for hot dog for me, because that's just what it was. It's perfect Disney Channel. I think we're at the heyday of Disney Channel. It is it. It doesn't. It doesn't take itself too seriously while taking itself seriously as a Disney Channel movie, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we weren't dealing with some kind of intense message, right. This wasn't no color of friendship. It wasn't it was mad.
Speaker 1: It wasn't no it's.
Speaker 2: Going yeah, overcoming anything big. It just was, you know, like a coming of age type.
Speaker 1: Situation, one of these microworlds you didn't know much about. That's fun to watch. The actors have all gone on to do big things, you can tell because they were a great cast. Yeah, this isn't an eight point five kids asking for a hot dog for me, So yes, this is this. We've had a couple of good ones in a row now, which is great. So our next let's see if we keep it going. Our next movie is two thousand and two's True Confessions. Never Heard of It. It's a film directed by Ah.
Speaker 3: Paul Howand Okay, I'm not with this guy.
Speaker 1: This guy. It is worth noting that True and True Confessant is missing an E. But the movie does include one Shilah Buff. This one is yes, do you know this one?
Speaker 2: I think I do.
Speaker 1: Is this the one where's Indiana Jones?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: That might be Indiana Jones as possible.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I'm excited. I'd honestly I would be on board to watch anything with Shila Buff. I think he's not just a phenomenal like.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna throw a crazy, crazy sentence out right now that I will stand by that. If there's ever a list of the top ten child actors of all time. He's on that list. I could probably say even top five of all time he is on that. He's just really really good and doesn't do enough.
Speaker 2: In my opinion. Yeah, I doesn't give us, he doesn't, he doesn't. Yeah, Gift.
Speaker 1: I think his life. I think he deals with certain things in his life and he kind of deals with him in his own way. I don't know him, I've never met him, but I mean as a child actor, you can look at other child actors and go like, damn, that guy's good and he was good. Uh So, this one is a course on Disney Plus. To get it when you can, and if you want to catch any of our interviews like the ones we talked about on this last episode, you know the one with Corbin Blue or with Kylie Russell, then you got to subscribe to our Magical Rewind feed on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more info, you can follow us at Magical Rewind pod on the Instagram machine right now. Thanks for joining everybody, We'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye. Hey you