Speaker 1: There Are No Girls on the Internet, as a production of iHeartRadio and Unbossed Creative. I'm Bridgett and this is There Are No Girls on the Internet. I am here with my producer Mike. Mike, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me Bridget and I'm excited to talk all about the tech news.
Speaker 1: And here's what you may have missed this week on the Internet. So we're gonna be kind of mixing it up a little bit today. Honestly, there was so much to talk about. A lot of it is related to Twitter. So we're gonna start with some news that you might have missed and then do a bit of a deep dive on Twitter. Mike, how does that sound?
Speaker 3: It sounds pretty good.
Speaker 2: I hope people are ready, because there's a lot to say about Twitter.
Speaker 1: I know it's like a we do our little segment what's Elon Musk up to? And this is like an extended, supersized version of what Elon Musk is up to. I hope y'all are ready, But first let's talk about what else is going on. So this is a little bit delicate. I don't make any kind of judgments about what kind of extra curricular internet searching activities listeners and folks are up to. However, here is some news because if you've tried to watch pornography online recently, you might have encountered some trouble. And that's because a handful of states have rolled out age verification policies to access adult sites, where folks have to essentially prove that they're over eighteen. So, if you've ever spent any time at all on adult sites more recently, it's been like a little checkbox that you have to check to confirm that you are over the age of eighteen. It feels pretty loose, like I think you could probably just say I am over the age of eighteen, and I don't think it doesn't really stop you from lying about that if that's what you want to do. But that is no longer the case now. When you go to sites like porn hub in these states, it redirects you to a government run website to prove that you were over eighteen by submitting your government ID, driver's license, or passport information. Currently, Louisiana, Mississippi, Virginia, and Utah all have these policies in place. Virginia's went into effect just last week, and according to the Verge, traffic dropped by eighty percent for Pornhub after it first began enforcing age verification in Louisiana earlier this year, and after that, it sounds like Pornhub just decided to start taking its sites offline instead of enforcing this age verification policy, so just sidestepping the issue altogether, kind of in protest. So that also goes for other porn tube sites that its parent company runs, like red Tube. So that means that thanks to Virginia's new rollout of this law, users in Virginia will not be able to access porn tube sites like red Tube or Pornhub either. Perhaps not surprisingly last week, in the days immediately following this policy going into effect, according to Google Trends, Virginia ranked as the highest state when it came to searches for VPNs or virtual private networks networks that allow you to circumvent these location specific barriers to accessing websites. So I don't know if this is tacky to mention, but at one point ExpressVPN as a sponsor of the show. I don't think they are anymore as a as a What's Your Producer had on Mike, is it taky to throw out the promo code for folks who want to try out ExpressVPN?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. You know, it's a useful service. We like ExpressVPN. Maybe they want to sponsor us again, we'd love to have them back. But in the meantime, yeah, maybe listeners want a three three months off their subscription. Where can they go to get that?
Speaker 1: Bridget You can go to ExpressVPN dot com slash no girls to get an extra three months off with a twelve month plan. Yeah, I this is again, this is They're not paying me to say this. I'm a big fan of VPNs. I think it's just a good thing to have, especially when that's like super easy to use, hit a button and then you know it's working behind the scenes. But I do think that legislation like this, I think that we're going to be seeing more and more location specific internet legislation, and so having a VPN knowing how to use one wouldn't be the worst idea in the world for somebody, even if you were you know, don't think of yourself as a techie who's going to need it. Do you remember that time that I was in South Africa? And you were in the United States and you wanted to watch Weekend at Bernie's two, and it was available in its entirety on YouTube in South Africa but not in the United States. So you used a VPN to try to access it, and then you couldn't, and we ended up doing like a zoom screen share so that we can both be watching at the same time.
Speaker 2: It was a very bad cinematic experience, but we did technically watch that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks to VPNs. So I think that age verification online is a terrible idea for so many reasons, not the least of which is that it just doesn't really work. The day that the Virginia law took up that last week, people on Reddit were complaining about not being able to access porn sites despite not living in or near the states where it's the law. That's because IP addresses are notoriously kind of janky at being able to actually locate where a user is. For instance, here in DC, it's not terribly unusual for a user's IP address to say that they're in a nearby state like Virginia or Maryland, even if they have never been to one of those states. Because it's a little bit chanky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: So in some of my research, we try to geolocate people who use various digital tools that we provide, and it's hard to geolocate people.
Speaker 3: IP addresses just very unreliable.
Speaker 1: And personally, I don't think that we should be getting in the habit of being comfortable with having to give over our real names and government information and IDs in order to access the Internet. Our government does not keep our private data secure and private right now. In our episode about Doc Saying with Shanna Sigelow, the digital security expert, we talked all about how if you've ever voted, or paid a parking ticket, or had the power or electricity turned on in your apartment, your state or local government could be selling your personal data to whoever wants it because that's what they do. And so I think giving over more of our information under the guise of like, keeping us safer, just does it make sense to me, especially when it's under the guise of like, quote protecting kids online, because if we really cared about protecting kids online, there's one hundred other things that we would be doing to actually protect them from the corporate Internet forces that we know are exploiting and harming them, and I think Wired really summarized it well. They right, the Internet isn't a child friendly place. However, introducing age verification across the web is technical and complex. In twenty nineteen, the UK ditched a multi year plan to in introduced age checks after encountering myriad problems. The porn we watch is also highly sensitive, kinks are incredibly personal, and leaks of data online can be devastating. Privacy advocates, porn companies, and some regulators say the move to introduce age verification introduces significant problems. The concerns about young people accessing adult websites are real and widespread. Less widespread is the understanding of the limitations of various age verification tools and the new dangers they might pose. This is from Arena Resu, director of the Internet Ethics Program at Santa Clara University's Marcula Center. Many regulators and others seem to think of age verification as a solved problem. Technologists and privacy activists, including activists focused on protecting children, are trying to explain that that's not the case. And I think that's absolutely true. I think that you know, when we talk about legislation state specific legislation, for instance, around TikTok bands and things like that. I think that giving giving states and platforms more access to information about us, I find that a really wonky explanation for how that's supposed to make us more secure online. And we just know how legislation can creep when people feel motivated by a desire to protect kids online, like in Mississippi. For example, Another piece of new legislation means that nobody under the age of eighteen will have access to digital materials made available through public and school libraries without explicit parent or guardian permission, So no Libby access for ebooks for teens, and book Riot reports that even if they do get a parent's permission, miners can't access digital materials if vendors do not ensure that every single item within their offerings meets this new, wide reaching definition of quote obscendity. Per the state, This legislation went to affect July first, and libraries had to sort of scramble to figure out how to comply with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not clear what harm they're trying to solve here. I guess they're going to I guess the goal here is to protect kids from pornography, which, like I said, is a reasonable, laudable goal that I think.
Speaker 3: Most people could get behind.
Speaker 2: But it seems like the result of this law is like huge numbers of adults not being able to access something that they should have every right to be able to access. And I completely agree that it is scary to have to enter your government ID to do something that some people in power have decided is not okay, right, because you have to imagine that part of the goal here is just to like eliminate pornography entirely, which is a laughable goal. But you know, these a lot of these people who are caught up in this moral panic about protecting the kids.
Speaker 3: It's not like.
Speaker 2: They are coming from a place of you know, evidence based concern or evidence based solutions to actual problems, right. They're like living in a fantasy land where librarians are grooming children by reading them stories that feature gay people. And these are the same people who you know are pushing for these sorts of age restrictions like you said in Louisiana, and I guess Virginia now too, where you have to put in your government driver's license, which is nuts. You know, I absolutely wouldn't want to give those same people who are putting these laws in place access to data about what I'm looking at online.
Speaker 3: That is like the last thing I want to do.
Speaker 1: And it really I completely agree, And it really comes down to something that doctor Olivia Snow said that when we talk to her, that when you hear you're a lawmaker talking about legislation regulating the Internet in a new way that is meant to keep kids safe, that that should be your big red flag that they are talking about cracking down on the behavior online of consensual adults, right, And that like how often protecting kids online is used as a smoke screen in order to crack down on what adults are doing online consensually. And like, yeah, I just who who out there when they are doing their thing, when it's just them in their computer having their private moment. Who wants to get their government ID with their first, last and middle name and whatever like their address on it. Who wants to get that involved in that exchange? Nobody? Nobody, nobody, Like who is this servant? Right? And I think it's I think it's really interesting that we're allowing lawmakers to introduce these new laws into our lives and tell us they are for our own good. When I think that anybody who's ever looked at online porn knows that, like, you can't close those windows out fast enough. When you're done doing what you're gonna do, do you want your license attached to it? Of course not.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Who is it serving?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And relatedly, who would it most harm? You know, it doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to picture scenario where somebody is being taken to you know, they're engaging like a custody battle or something, and somebody gets access to somebody else's records and now it's like part of the public record that like so and so looked at online pornography.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that's a great point. And it also just reminds me of how often, and we're talking about the way the Internet is legislated, how often it will start in one place with online pornography, and then it'll start someplace completely different. When Yahoo bought Tumblr, they were like, oh, we're not going to have there be sexual content. You might be thinking that's like nudity, but by the end it was a whole host of content that wasn't necessarily sexual was content about people learning about their sexual or gender identities, right, and so that's not necessarily sexually explicit. But how quickly the bucket of what they were cracking down on expanded, And I think with legislation like this, you have to imagine that like, yeah, maybe they're going to say starting with pornography, but who knows where that could end up? And that actually is a great segue to what's happening in France.
Speaker 4: Let's take a quick break.
Speaker 1: At or back. So, lawmakers in France's National Assembly passed a bill that lets police surveil suspects by remotely activating their cameras, microphones, and GPS location systems on their phones, laptops, cars and connected devices. Now, a judge will have to approve the use of these powers, and a recently amended bill does forbid the use against journalists, lawyers, and other people who work in sensitive professions. Now. Proponents of this measure say that it is meant to be limited in scope to serious cases, and that the maximum amount of time that police can surveil suspects is six months, and geolocation can only be limited to crimes that are punishable by at least five years in prison. Now. Unsurprisingly, digital privacy experts are, to put it, lightly concerned. According to n Gadget, the digital rights group La quadrechur dunet I apologize for my bad French previously pointed out the potential for abuse because the bill is just not clear in terms of what it constitutes as a serious crime. There are fears that the French government could use this to target environmental activists and others who are not grave threats. You'll notice that even though they say that this won't be used against folks with sensitive professions, does that include activists? Right? Does that include dissidents? They also point out that just like in the United States, security policies do have a habit of expanding, just like we were talking about with that peign legislation, right, that they have a habit of expanding to less serious crimes. They give the example of genetic registration, which used to only be used for sex offenders in France, but La Quadrature says, has now been expanded to being used for almost every crime in France.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know about France, but here in the US, I feel like every time there's been some law that expands police surveillance powers one two. Three years later, there's a bunch of stories about how that law was abused, used in ways it wasn't intended, targeted people that weren't supposed to be targeted. You know those newspaper headlines too. It's like the most obvious thing in the world.
Speaker 1: This is all happening against the backdrop of protests in France sparked by the police shooting and killing teenager not Hilim Razzak. Gizmodo reported that French President Macron actually threatened to shut down social media platforms as he claimed that protesters were filming, posting, and organizing on platforms like TikTok, Telegram and snapchat. And I think that it really goes back to what we were talking about in the last story about how it may seem like something that it's easy to think that these are things measures that we should be taking to keep us and our communities safe. But it's so often that they sort of start out as being about one thing and then can sort of slowly become about another. That is a tale as old as time when it comes to surveillance policies like this one. And so I think that these digital rights groups in France are really right to be pushing back on this and saying, hey, giving the police power to turn on remotely, turn on the camera or the microphone to your phone, to your car, to your laptop, that should be something that we're really concerned about and don't just you know, become okay with lightly.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think privacy is something that we all need to take very seriously and protect.
Speaker 3: It is under assault.
Speaker 2: You know, people have been saying that privacy is dead for years, and I don't think that's the case. I think we still have a lot of privacy in our lives, thankfully, and I think it's super important that we all protect what privacy we have and resist efforts to make us all register with government ID if we want to watch corn resist giving the state authority to like turn on our phones and record from our cameras without our permission. It's yeah, it's a scary world. These technologies really enable a lot of surveillance activity that would have been unthinkable years ago, that like despots of the past wish.
Speaker 3: They could have had access to.
Speaker 2: And we've talked a lot on this show about some of the paradoxes of the Internet. How at the outset. It promised this like bright democratic future where everyone would have a voice and everyone would be connected, and like, we kind of got that, but we also kind of got something very different where no one is anonymous and everything you say is traced back to people. And that comment from Macron that you just read that he was going to shut off social media because people were organizing. How many despots throughout history have wanted that power but just like didn't have it. But now that we are all, you know, communicating on apps that are centralized across you know, maybe half a dozen different apps, suddenly that does become possible. And what a scary proposition that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't know, have you seen that episode of that first episode of Black Mirror Joan is awful? Oh yeah, So something I won't give it away if folks haven't seen it, But something that that episode really makes clear about the current future that we're or there, the present that we're all in, is how surveillance is sold to us as for our own good or even for our own entertainment. We should like being surveiled. We should find it funny, We should enjoy the information that we that you know, our apps and our platforms have collected about us and sold us back, sold back to us, and so it's kind of scary, how I mean, I'm I'm not immune to it either. I like looking at my Spotify end of the Year list just like anybody. I'm not a monster, of course, I find that fascinating about information about myself. But the way that we've been able to be desensitized to it and sort of more and more and more and more of our privacy is sort of for sale, and we are consistently told that it is for our own protection that we should be happy that it's happening. And another great example is what's happening in Sacramento. So listeners of this show know that since the Supreme Court overturned Row last year, we have been following the very deep connections between technology, digital surveillance, and abortion rights. And here's another update on that front. The digital rights group the Electronic Frontier Foundation sent a letter to Sacramento Sheriff Jim Cooper, urging the Sheriff's department to stop their practice of sharing automated license plate reader data with out of state authorities in anti abortion states including Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas. Adam Schwartz, he's the EFF's senior staff attorney, said that this practice is a threat to security and privacy, and that a sheriff in Texas, Idaho, or any other state with an abortion ban on the books could use that data to track people's movement around California, knowing where they live, where they work, and where they seek reproductive medical care, including abortions. So back in May, the Electronic Frontier Foundation released a report showing that seventy one law enforcement agencies in twenty two California counties, including Sacramento County, were sharing this kind of data, and that this practice was actually in violation of a twenty fifteen law that states that a California law enforcement agency shall not sell, share, or transfer automatic license plate reader information except to another California law enforcement agency. And so they're just it sounds like, I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like they're just not doing that. They're just not following that law. The Sacramento Sheriff's Office had a pretty weird response to those allegations, accusing Electronic Frontier Foundation and the ACLU of being involved in some sort of like vast conspiracy to read lawlessness I don't know. You tell me. Here's what they said back in May. Law enforcement agencies commonly use information from license plate readers to investigate serious crimes such as homicide, child kidnapping, human trafficking, and drug trafficking across state borders. So very much like what we were just talking about, right that, like, oh, us collecting this data is actually good for you because it makes you safer. Fine, However, they go on. Some organizations, such as the ACLU and the Electronic Frontier Foundation have lied that law enforcement sharing this information is an attempt to violate people's legal rights. These false claims are intentional and part of a broader agenda to promote lawlessness and prevent criminals from being held accountable. So like, I don't know if the Electronic Frontier Foundation is in on this, like vast conspiracy to enable criminals to just be lawless out on the streets. I don't know. That seems like a pretty big allegation from the Sheriff's office in Sacramento County.
Speaker 2: Just chaos agents. Their only interest is spreading chaos disorder. Yeah, that's what they're doing. That's where they get the big bucks because they're out there just trying to foment chaos anywhere they can.
Speaker 1: And honestly, it sounds like Electronic Frontier Foundation was accusing the Sheriff's office of not following the law, so then for the Sheriff's office to turn around and be like, actually, y'all are the ones who are lawless liars. And it's interesting, right, It's like their allegations are so specific, and the response is like, well, y'all are lawless liars who are just trying to help criminals, you know, murder children. One of these allegations seems a lot more believable than the other to me. I don't know, that's just me.
Speaker 2: It's such a good follow up to those two stories we just talked about about the creep of surveillance authority, because exactly like you said, it sounds like from this letter, the EFF was saying, hey, you guys are currently violating the law by sharing this information that you have collected through police surveillance apparatus. I don't know what the term is, but like, through these license plate readers, thro are reading licenses and you're sharing that with people who the law forbids you to share it with, and people are going to get hurt, and the response was, shut up. We're going after criminals, and you're a criminal too, even though the police are the ones breaking the law and the people pointing that out and pointing out this overreach of a law that was intended to have limits and the fact that the police are disrespecting those limits that were placed around this law to get it passed. But you have to assume we're put there by legislators who couldn't get the law passed without them, so they were like, Okay, okay, we'll put these limits around it. They can't share it outside of California to get the law passed, and this sheriff is just like uninterested in that right. He's going after criminals and lawlessness. And why should any god fearing good citizens be concerned that their data is just illegally being shared across state lines.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you liked that response. After the Electronic Frontier Foundation sent the Sacramento sheriff their letter asking him to stop this practice this week, he replied on Twitter that first response I read to you was like Sacramento Sheriff's Department like official Twitter this. He took to his personal Twitter to give this response. He said quote, the bill and this law has absolutely nothing to do with reproductive rights. My record on women's and reproductive rights has been strong throughout my time in the State Assembly, and nothing has changed since becoming sheriff. Electronic Frontier Foundation has the track record of protecting child molesters, ventanal traffickers, rapists, and murderers. Perhaps they should focus more on helping victims rather than continuing to shield criminals from prosecution. So if you thought the first response back when eff first made these allegations was a little much being like, oh no, no, you are too busy holding hands with child molesters and fentanal traffickers and rapists and murderers. Like it's just it's just a very intense response from what is like a very measured letter about about how they are following the letter of the law. Now, I should say that Adam Schwartz, the attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, does say that he was not aware of any cases where license plate data was used to prosecute someone forgetting an abortion, but added quote, we think we shouldn't have to wait until the inevitable happened, And honestly, I could not agree more and I think that the fact that the sheriff is going back and pointing to his record when he was in the Assembly on abortion and reproductive care, I just I mean, I honestly think this is kind of a normal or expected take from somebody who has not really thought very seriously about the landscape of abortion rights here in twenty twenty three. And I think a lot of people one did not expect Roe to ever be threatened the way that it was, and when it did, Fall really had a kind of myopic view on the actual threats that folks who are looking for abortions or need abortions, are allies to people who need abortions would face. You know, It's one of the reasons why when I was in the reproductive justice space, we're not We were like, oh, don't use like coat hanger imagery or talk about like back alley abortions, because in twenty twenty three, that's not the threat. The threat is surveillance and criminalization. Sheriff Cooper saying that this kind of data tracking and sharing with other states has nothing to do with abortion and reproductive rights just goes to show how limited his understanding of the reality of our abortion landscape in twenty twenty three really is because if he's never thought about how tracking somebody's license plate data in California and then sending it to a state where abortion is criminalized like Texas or Idaho could play a role in someone's ability to access abortion care, If he's never thought about that, that really tells me all I need to know about how he's thinking about this issue. Because even if that license plate data is not being used today on Thursday, July sixth, twenty twenty three, as we've just talked about in this episode, that does not mean that they that there will not be an expansion of how that data is used. And in my opinion, it is not a question of if. It's a question of when that data will be used to criminalize people who are looking for abortions. And just because Sheriff Cooper doesn't see it and it is does not have that clear of a view of the landscape of abortion rights in twenty twenty three does not mean that it's not our risk. And it's really I can't believe that he would say like this has nothing to do with abortion when I'm sorry, get real in twenty twenty three, when you share license plate data from California to stateside, Texas, A and Alabama. It has everything to do with abortion rights.
Speaker 2: And the important thing is that I think this isn't about this one sheriff getting it wrong, and like, isn't he a bad guy or isn't he clueless or something? I have no idea about him. The concerning thing is that he is the one who has the authority to decide how this private data that has been surveiled gets shared. And like you just said, he either is clueless about the landscape of reproductive rights and legal threats to people seeking abortions in twenty twenty three, or he's faking it. But either way, the data that he is sitting on of who has been driving around in Sacramento has real consequences for people, and he, by his own admission, is making decisions about who could access that data and who can't without having apparently any clue about the legal risks to the people that he has been entrusted to keep safe.
Speaker 1: I would take I agree, I would take it one step further, and I would say, because it is he like it is not men. I don't think that he. I don't this might be a controversial take. I think that for a lot of men, it's difficult to see the realities and the concerns of people who are not also CIS men. Seriously, I think that he's like, I'm pro choice. That's all I need to do is like be pro choice, And it's like, no, you need to also not buttress a vast network of interstate surveillance if you truly want to advocate for reproductive rights in this country. That's what it looks like in twenty twenty three. It's not nineteen eighty, right. Just being supportive of abortion rights and voting along those lines is not enough in twenty twenty three. If you are propping up a vast surveillance network that is going to get people who need abortions criminalized one way or another. And if you're it's really something to see people who are casked with supporting and advocating for these constituents not get that and so loudly proclaim that they don't get that, like I would. He should be embarrassed. So I looked up his record and it does seem to be a little bit all over the place in terms of his record on abortion care. But he obviously from his statement, wants to think of himself as somebody who is a champion of reproductive care. And if that is the case in twenty twenty three, you have got to be thinking about this issue a little bit more thoughtfully and a little bit more with a little bit more foresight about how it's playing out, because in twenty twenty three, you cannot be propping up a vast digital surveillance network and tell me that you're on my side when it comes to abortion rights. And I'll leave it there.
Speaker 4: More after a quick break, let's.
Speaker 1: Get right back into it. So it's not all vast surveillance networks. Let's talk about the sun. So we have talked a bit about Megan Merkle and how the coordinated hate campaign that she gets online targets her. But one of the weirdest aspects of this story is that it's not just random hate mongers on YouTube publishing videos like ten of Megan Markle's micro expressions that show that she is actually a huge, mean person. I almost said a swear word. I'm trying to swear less. I got some feedback about my swearing. I was gonna I was gonna put a swear word there. But I didn't, So you're welcome listeners with children. So it's not just we like weird YouTube hate mongers. It's also the press, like big newspapers, who are targeting her. Last week, the newspaper The Sun had to print a front page apology for an opinion piece about Megan Markle written by Grand Tour star Jeremy Clarkson the piece, I can only really describe it as a lot. Here's a bit from that piece, he writes. I hate her, not like I hate Scotland's first Minister, Nicola Sturgeon or serial killer Rose West. I hate her on a cellular level. Oh no, Megan is definitely worse than a serial killer, right obviously, Like what do you think of Megan Markle? You think serial killer is her? Megan Markle much further on the on the hate spectrum, he goes on, quote at night, I'm unable to sleep as I lie there, grinding my teeth and dreaming of the day when she is made to parade naked through the streets on every town in Britain while the crowds chant shame and throw lumps of excrement at her. Everyone who is my age thinks the same way. I don't know, dude, I don't know if that's I don't know if that's correct, But like everybody, who is your who is your age? Is like, yes, I stay awake at night gritting my teeth thinking about her. Now, in his defense, he did say that he was going for like a Game of Thrones reference with that. I don't watch Game of Thrones, So, like, I you watched the show, is this? Does that? Does that check out?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That does check out.
Speaker 2: That is a reference to a scene from the show, But it doesn't diminish it in any way. Like it's it's not like she liked being paraded through the streets naked and having excrements throw at her, you know, the character who was having to who legitimately was like she didn't enjoy it. It was like very bad and it was just as sexist in the show as it is in real life, you know.
Speaker 1: So even if he was going for like a specific reference, I just think it's a little much to be printed in the newspaper, Like I can't believe that an editor read that and was like, Okay, doesn't sound unhinged at all. Definitely dis publish it. It's quick published and the way if.
Speaker 2: We go, Yeah, literary illusions aren't like like get out of jail free card for writing messed up stuff, right, Like they add some context and maybe some meaning or something, but they don't just like make it all okay because it was a reference.
Speaker 1: Well, the UK newspaper regulator, the Independent Press Standards Organization, agrees with you. After this was published, they got twenty five thousand complaints about the piece and they ended up launching an investigation into whether the piece breached its editor's code of practice. Although interestingly, the IPSO chairman Lord Fox said that the article was quote humiliating and degrading towards the duchess, but according to Deadline, also rejected complaints that the article was racist in tone, inaccurate, or sought to harass the duchess. The piece was ultimately removed and The Sun was forced to print an apology to Megan on the front page. It is so interesting to me that they specifically go out of their way to say the peace was sexist. It was humiliating, but it was not racist, and it was not meant to harass her, nor was it inaccurate. I find that so interesting because I mean, it really goes back to so much of our conversations that we've had on there are No Girls on the Internet, and also Internet hate Machine about how the responses to Megan Markle kind of work and how it's always right online line of racist. So it's like they're not going to overtly call her a slur. But I just have a hard time believing that if not for Megan's race, that this would have been somebody would have found this acceptable to print in the newspaper, right. And I also think that because of the way that identity works, gender and race and class and everything else, it's so linked that it is the idea that if someone printed this about me in the paper as a black woman, I would not be able to say, oh, they printed it because I'm a woman, not because I'm black. The idea that you could parse it and say like definitively not racist, sexist, but not racist. It is not how it works because of the way that layered identity and the intersections of identity work. And so it's fascinating to me to see this, you know, Ethics Board be able to say like, Nope, not racist, a big red stamp on that, Like, I would be curious to know how they determined that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too. It's it's like, how do you prove that it's racist.
Speaker 2: Right when, like you said, identity is this big web of intersecting identities. Uh, and the systems of oppression that traffic and benefit from public sexist and racist attacks are so good at writing that line.
Speaker 3: It's it's a tough thing.
Speaker 2: It's it's almost it's almost impossible to look at one isolated incident like that, or you know, one isolated piece of writing, even as terrible as this, And like you said, he didn't include a slur, didn't reference the color of her skin, so like prove that it's racist. But then when you step back and look at the pattern of how this piece fits into a whole ecosystem and industry around smearing and harassing her, obviously it's racist.
Speaker 3: It's it's a challenge. I guess.
Speaker 2: It's also hard for me to think about the like, what is this guy's title.
Speaker 1: The IPSO chairman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's also a little challenging to me to think about this IPSO chairman, who is, like I guess in England, he's like the top person in charge of the newspapers. Like what would that even look like in the United States.
Speaker 3: I can't even wrap my head around it.
Speaker 1: Well, if you asked me, he should come on as a producer and co host of the podcast. Yo, is this racist? Because this white man apparently is the arbiter of what is and is not definitively racist, And we got to get him on that podcast as co host asap because his talents are being wasted. More.
Speaker 4: After a quick break, let's get right back.
Speaker 2: Into it, all right, bridget we got all the hard news out of the way. What's Elon done now?
Speaker 1: Well, something was definitely up with Twitter over the weekend. I have so much to say about it. Let's break down what was going on. First, Twitter started limiting who could and could not read posts on the platform. They limited it to only people with Twitter log in, so if you didn't have a Twitter log in, you could not see Twitter. If he went to Twitter dot com, it would redirect you to a login page. Then yesterday they quietly walked that policy back without ever acknowledging it. So they rolled it with that acknowledging it, walked it back with that acknowledging it weird. Then Elon Musk tweeted that they were going to start limiting the amounts of tweets that users could see. If you were a Twitter Blue subscriber, you could see six thousand tweets a day. If you were an unverified account, you could see six hundred tweets to day, and if you were a new unverified account, you could see three hundred tweets per day. Elon Musk tweeted that this was a temporary measure to prevent data scraping. There was some concern about like AI potentially scraping Twitter data to train its models. Seems a little suspicious. I'm not we'll get into that, but I'm not totally sure. But that's what he tweeted. So I don't know how it was for you all. But by this happened on Saturday. By Sunday, I was totally unable to see any tweets at all. Right, So like when I woke up on Sunday, the obviously, like the clock should have restarted in that twenty four hour period, but the moment I logged in, I was already getting the error that I had seen all the tweets that I could see, even though I had not been on the platform at all. So by Sunday. The platform was just a no go for me. I don't know how it was for y'all, but let me know. I'm curious. And in case you're wondering, this also applied to official Twitter accounts for emergency services like a National Hurricane Center or Amber alerts. They also could only you know, see the six thousand tweets perdy if they were Twitter Blue subscribers, or six hundred if they were unverified, which is pretty concerning, like had there been a hurricane or had there been an Amber alert, maybe there was. It's probably good to have these organizations be able to see more than a couple of tweets, you know, particularly if they're paying for Twitter Blue. That's something that I fully kind of don't understand is how if I'm paying for like a subscriber experience, am I how am I getting my tweets capped? It's like, what was the point of paying If it's like, oh, you get all these features and also can only see six thousand tweets The amouth like, what's the point of paying?
Speaker 2: What other cons about not being able to say tweets if you're not logged in is that it has caused Google to remove all tweets from Google results. So it used to be that if you were searching for something online and Google thought that a tweet was relevant to what you were searching for, it would include that tweet in your search results. But that's no longer the case because because of this change that only logged in users can see it. And that's a pretty big deal because Google's responsible for over ninety percent of all searches in the US and I don't know how much Twitter traffic was coming from Google, but I have to assume some, and Twitter being removed from Google seems like one more big step towards Twitter becoming less relevant in the overall information ecosystem that we all live in and get our information from.
Speaker 1: So what the heck is going on here? Well, the short answer is we don't totally know. So there was some speculation that it was related to Twitter not paying their bills. This is from BBC data scientist. An ex Twitter employee, doctor Rumin Chadri, told the BBC that it was unclear if AI organizations had actually been scraping data from Twitter, but suggested that financial issues could be behind the changes. Frankly, I think I'm in the majority of people who believe that it's due to Elon's lack of payment of his bills and that he's attempting to produce his cost She said, I have since seen other people who kind of claim to be in the know saying that it was not related to unpaid bills, So I really couldn't say. Former Twitter head of Trust and Safety Joel Roth said that Elon Musk's official explanation about trying to prevent data scraping doesn't sound totally right, saying it just doesn't pass the sniff test. That scraping all of a sudden created such a dramatic performance problem that Twitter had no choice but to put everything behind a log in. So a lot of theories being floated around. I should be clear that we don't know which one is the truth. Don't don't leave me a weird comment on Instagram Elon Musk allah a certain magazine because I'm just speculating and summarizing other people's theories. We don't know what's going on. But Mike, you actually have a theory we were talking about the other day. No, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: It's not like my theory. But like you said, nobody really knows what was behind all of these like large surprise changes, some of which were announced, some of which just like quietly happened. Uh, but clearly something was up. One thing I saw over the weekend was a post from someone speculating that this was due to Twitter unintentionally releasing some very bad code in their attempts to restrict the site to only authenticated users who were logged in. So the idea here is that for whatever reason, Twitter wanted to make that change so that people who weren't logged in and couldn't see it, and to do that, they had to change some of their code about how Twitter works, and the code that they released to do that was just bad and caused a lot of problems. And the evidence that this person had for it was that they shared a screenshot of their console from their web browser showing that, you know, as they were logged into Twitter, their computer was just like hammering away at Twitter servers with a bunch of network requests. And so they were speculating that perhaps that was what caused Twitter to have to put up put in place these limits, because you know, first they tried to restrict it to only logged in users, but they executed that so poorly that it created this enormous drain on their on their resources, and so they had to put the limits in place just to be able to keep things moving at all. And so for a while, the hashtag selfdos was going around for self distributed denial of service attack, making fun of Twitter for crashing its own servers through its bad code. So that seems consistent with the screenshot that he had shared, and it seems consistent with the chaotic, scattershot approach to decision making that Twitter seems to do under Elon Musk. But like I said, it's just speculation.
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 1: I also love the Dave's on vacation theory, the sort of joke that Elon has fired or laid off so many engineers that Twitter is now operating with a skeleton crew. So people are speculating that this engineer named Dave who I guess. It's like a fictional engineer took his family to make on vacation and there was nobody there to answer. The phonel was out and Twitter imploded. I love the daves on vacation theory of like, oh yeah, Dave's up with the wife and kids up in the adirondecks for the weekend. None of this stuff's gonna work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that one too, And it's of all these, it's probably the closest to correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, none of us know.
Speaker 2: And it really seems like the true answer, which we'll probably never know, maybe we will, is some version of they try to do something stupid, they screwed it up and had to do more stupid things to try to like dig themselves out of that hole.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 2: We're still there. Maybe maybe they're up and running.
Speaker 1: They're up and running now, and whatever the rationale was, we may never know the truth. What we do know is that the vibes on Twitter are not good right. The engagement is down, advertising revenue is way down. It's kind of funny to me that we're having this conversation after the new Twitter CEO, Linda Yakarno, it was just going on and on about how she was going to make Twitter brand safe again and bring back advertisements. That this is not doing that right. Like, I don't know why somebody would want to pay to be advertising on a platform that would limit how much tweets people could see. Advertisement included. Doesn't make any sense to me. What's also funny is that we didn't really hear a ton from her when this was going on. She was kind of doing some sneak likes of Elon's tweets, but like I would expect the CEO to be making a statement about this, but she didn't really. I guess she's just like, oh, whatever Elon says. I also, I'm gonna like that on Twitter, and not to mention the fact that it's just a janky, confusing experience for folks who were trying to navigate it still right, Like, I was trying to use Twitter to navigate stuff happening globally, as I often do, and it just was impossible to do that. You know, verified tweets were coming up at the top that weren't saying anything that was accurate or useful. It just wasn't a good experience, and so I think the vibes were not good over there. And it just seems like it is not well thought out in terms of how they are rolling out these changes and then quietly rolling them back.
Speaker 2: Not well thought out really captures it, and it's not just their users. There's an article in Matchable this week about how developers of third party apps are fleeing Twitter too, because they are similarly being jerked around and having functionality that they were promised taken away or just break on them without notification. I don't know, did you ever use the app who unfollowed me?
Speaker 1: No, I'm way too anxious for that kind of thing. I don't want to know. Okay, yeah, no one would ever unfollow me. In my mind, I.
Speaker 3: Guess I'm yeah.
Speaker 2: So it was like a useful and kind of fun thing, but it relied on their API, and now it's just gone because the API points first the developer had to pay for them, and so they paid however much it was a month, but then like Twitter, changed what endpoints they were able to actually access after they had.
Speaker 3: Paid for it.
Speaker 2: And so even like big developers who've shelled out up to forty two thousand dollars a month for enterprise access, have been complaining that the APIs just break all the time. Twitter will make changes without telling them, which forces them to do like emergency maintenance to try to keep their apps working, and according to this article, a lot of them have just given up and are done with Twitter, you know, And so that's just I think one more sign that things are going poorly in Twitter Land for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: So speaking of giving up and being done with Twitter, I can relate, and it seems like a lot of other regular users of Twitter can relate as well, because with this big roadblock for the platform, a lot of people are looking at alternatives for Twitter in a way that I have not seen since Elon Musk first took over like seven months ago. So let's talk about a couple of the different alternatives to Twitter floating around out there. There's a Blue Sky, a platform that I've played with a little bit. It was a platform conceptualized by Jack Dorsey, the former CEO of Twitter, that is still in beta and is invite only. It's very similar to Twitter. We're gonna be doing an episode about it more in depth, but it's kind of like a Twitter alternative where a lot of folks who you might see on Twitter are there doing their thing. Another is Spill, which launched on July twelfth, that was conceptualized by two former Twitter staffers. Hopefully we will hear from the creators of Spill on this very podcast very soon. Spill kind of strikes me as a spot that is meant to be specifically building community around marginalized users, black folks, queer folks. When you log into Spill, which is still invite only, you have to like it's very clear, like we're not about hate speech, We're here for marginalized people to be able to show up. I find that kind of interesting. I don't think it's like explicitly a space just for marginalized people, but I think it's clear that they want it to be a space where marginalized folks can show up. And there's a heavy like black Twitter contingent to Spill. But again, we'll hear more from the creators in their own words, hopefully very soon. And the one that I really want to talk about today is ig Threads. So I have to admit I have not tried ig Threads. It has been out for like thirty hours, and in that time I have not been able to download it. I'm actually not sure if I will question Mark. Maybe I'll decide during the course of this episode. But it's being called the Twitter Killer, so I've seen some people that I trust talk about Threads being good. It just launched yesterday overnight, thirty million people joined it. It shot to the I think the currently it's the hot most downloaded app on the App Store. It's only for iOS right now. I think one of the reasons I've seen people that I trust kind of be like cautiously optimistic about it is that it pulls from your current Instagram following, so you don't have to start from zero. And I think, like, even if you're somebody who is really good at building community online and really good at like, you know, engagement and getting followers and all of that, nobody wants to start from zero. And so I think that that is a reason that I've seen people say that it might be good. Let's talk about some of the reasons why it might not be good. One big thing to know is that if you download Threads, it is a separate app, separate from your Instagram. So if you download it and then you decide you don't like it, you have to delete your entire Instagram count to entirely get rid of that app. So, according to the Threads Supplemental Privacy Policy, you may deactivate your Threads profile at any time, but your Threads profile can only be deleted by deleting your Instagram account. Ours Technica also quoted my personal nemesis, the head of Instagram Adam who said, you can deactivate your Threads account, which hides your Threads profile and content. You can set your profile to private. You can delete individual Threads posts all without deleting your Instagram account. Threads is powered by Instagram, so right now it's just one account. But we're looking out a way to delete your Threads account separately, So I don't know. I just don't like that. I think that if you were one of the thirty million people who just wanted to try it out and join, you shouldn't have to completely delete your Instagram account if you decide it's not for you. Now. Again, as you said, you can like private your Threads or hide your Threads, but if you want out entirely, I think it's a little bit much that you have to completely delete a completely separate app to do that. I don't like that. Another thing to know is that you cannot only follow people that you want to follow. The feed is a mix of people that you follow and people that you don't. As Ours Technical reported, some users have actually complained that their feed is flooded with content from accounts that they never followed, outnumbering posts from their friends. But in classic tech bro style, that this thing that users are complaining about and saying is annoying is actually a really great feature. They just don't get it yet because in a blog post, meta toouted this default feed as a feature, not an annoyance, saying quote your feed on threads includes threads posted by people that you follow and recommended content from new creators you haven't discovered yet. So you know, an influencer that you've never heard of and don't care about spamming your threads feed is just a friend you haven't met yet. So those are some of the logistical reasons that maybe It's threads isn't so great. But let's talk about some of the bigger, kind of thornier issues. Number one is that it is Facebook. People. Do I really need to say anything else? It's Facebook. So the people that brought you everything that comes with Facebook, they are also bringing you threads that should really be enough. Jason Kent't summed it up really well. On The Sweet That I Love. He writes misleads about metrics, inflates, video opportunity, covers up data breach, empowers foreign interference, aids and genocide, blocks, free and plural press, hides damming, harms research, abuses users, privacy copies, competition, launches new app? Where can I download? It? Sounds a little funky.
Speaker 2: When you put it that way, right, I get it, man, I get it.
Speaker 1: So because it's Facebook, that means that they are very big privacy concerns with Threads. Threads collects a lot of data about you, which can include things like your sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, biometric data, trade, union membership, pregnancy status, politics, and religious beliefs. Threads can also collect data on users employment, as well as health and fitness activity. Beyond that, the app also can collect data monitoring your location and other web activity. Now, if you're listening to this in the EU, you do not have access to Threads, and that's because of the European Data Protection Boards finding decision that Meta did not have an appropriate basis for processing personal data to serve up behavioral ads. It's kind of a whole legal mess, but here's how tech Crunch put it. Currently, Meta does not even offer users a general upfront choice to deny it's tracking and profiling, let alone explicitly ask if it can share data on your health conditions so advertisers can sell you diet pills or whatever. And with even harder limits on surveillance ads coming down the pipe in the EU, an app that proposes to track everything to maximize its appeal to advertisers will be a tough sell to regional regulators. And so yeah, if you are someone who wants to get on threads, you should just be aware of the amount of data that Meta is collecting from you from Threads, because it's a lot. And I should say, obviously Facebook is not the only platform collecting your data. Twitter also collects your data, albeit I think a little bit less than Facebook does. But it's just generally good to be aware of Facebook's practices and histories around our sensitive data.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of it. It's Facebook, They're collecting all of it.
Speaker 1: And even though Zuckerberg has talked a big game about wanting Threads to be this place for discourse and accurate information, it has been up for less than a day and already this is being called into question because known harassers and misinformers and disinformers like libs of TikTok are already showing up on Threads. When Donald Trump Junior joined Threads, added a warning to his account letting folks know that he is known for spreading misinformation, which he is. When Donald Trump Junior screenshot at that warning and complained, metas Andy Stone walked it back, saying the warning was just a mistake, they didn't mean to apply it. So it does kind of seem like the same moderation issues and concerns that already show up on Facebook might also be present on threads. I would also just add that, like, I don't really even know how to put this, but there is definitely a cultural vibe of Instagram that makes me wonder if if a product Cannect did to Instagram will ever take off and be an actual replacement for Twitter. You know, it's hard to explain, but if you use Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, you probably know exactly what I mean. Think about the kind of person who becomes big on Instagram, Now, think about the kind of person who becomes big on Twitter. Those two groups of people find success for completely different behavior and things with completely different audiences. The culture of Twitter is text base, so snarks, jokes, meme, general on we right, those are the things that perform well on Twitter, text based snark, text based insights, things like that. The culture of Instagram is visual, right, so it's looking a certain way, presenting a certain way. I don't necessarily want to read written takes from the kind of people who really perform well on Instagram. I don't mean that as a dig on them. It's just that there are two different mediums. They're very different, and they have very different audiences, and so I feel like the kind of person who would find success on a visual medium and the kind of person who would find success on a on a text based medium are very different. And having Threads be connected to your Instagram account so that, like the people who already have big followings on Instagram, people who are already big influencers on Instagram automatically will have big platforms on Threads as well, just makes me think that as a text base. I mean, you're see your shaking your head. But like, if I have a million Instagram followers and you have five Instagram followers and Threads automatically pulls your followers from Instagram, I will start out on day one with a million followers on Threads. You will start out on day one with five followers on Threads. That's just how it works.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 2: But just because you've got a million followers, if you're not creating the kind of content that they think is going to give them the kind of engagement they want. They will bury you in a day, and you're you know, you might have a million followers, but there's no doubt in my mind that they there. You know, they wouldn't dial you back to like a thousand impressions a day, even if you're posting posting a lot of content, because as you described, it's it's not like a chronological timeline, right, It's that this algorithm that they are using, and that that vibe difference that you described between Twitter and Instagram. I'm sure a lot of people have studied it, and I would be like really interested to hear from them. But I have to believe that the particular vibe that exists on Instagram was very intentionally and deliberately curated by Meta And so yeah, I think, you know, bringing all your followers is gonna you know, it is an advantage to starting on a new network. You know, when I started on masted on a while ago, that was like a major barrier. I was starting at zero, not that I had that many followers, but for me, it was more like the people that I was following I had to go.
Speaker 3: And like find them and find all new ones.
Speaker 2: But there's a chronological timeline, and you know with both Instagram and Threads, that's not the case. It's the algorithm. They're showing you what they want you to see.
Speaker 1: So Edzatrone has a piece that I think really speaks to what you're talking about, and he actually argues that this might be kind of marking the end of a certain era of the Internet as we know it. It's kind of a long quote, but I think it's so worth it. Hear me out. He writes, when Twitter and Instagram launched, people were not primed for what a social network was. Users did not join with the intent of building followings or content creation. Influencer was a term, but it was not a term that people instantly gravitated toward. From day one. Twitter was exciting because it felt raw, almost accidentally honest, and the way that famous or notable people acted didn't feel like they were following a content marketing calendar. Threads is built to attract people who are concerned about influence versus any kind of authentic conversation, and it suffers greatly as a result. Perhaps we're simply approaching the end of the honest Internet, where the magic of happenstance is being squeezed out as financial interests find ways to dominate real human conversation. Threads isn't built for you to talk to other people. It's built to inject intepid content into your life and interfere with as much of the human experience as possible. Perhaps it's because Zuckerberg already saw how unprofitable Twitter is and decided the only way to do this would be to make a significantly worse experience. More fundamentally, Threads isn't a social network. It's a marketing channel for the least interesting people on Earth. It's exactly what you'd expect of a text based Instagram, a mediocre, algorithmic nightmare of content slob that barely resembles entertainment, and I can't wait for it to fail. So a little bit grim That speaks a little bit, I think to what you were talking about about influencers and whether having a big platform on Threads will correlate to engagement and being successful there, I kind of agree with, even though I'm not on Threads, I kind of agree that we're thinking about it completely wrong. We're thinking about it in terms of an authentic engagement platform, and I don't think that's what Threads is.
Speaker 2: There is zero reason for optimism, right, Like it's meta. They are bad actors. Every single piece of it is going to be bills around selling ads. I think they would readily admit that, right, Like they're they're interested in harvesting data and selling ads. This new platform is a new vector for them to do that.
Speaker 3: Maybe it'll be interesting. I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know, television is a vector for selling US ads and there's good shows on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's funny because because you're not able to control your feed and like what you're seeing, it's a lot of brands and influencers and things like that. Giovanni colon Tiano at Digital Trends put it really well. He said, he posted this screenshot of all of these different brands, you know, packing their little brand specific jokes on Threads. There's Netflix saying Threads, it's kind of like love is blind because everybody is all about that engagement a GA engagement ring emoji and I get it. It's it's like cringe and I ROLLI and all of that. But he writes, it's truly pathetic that this is the endgame of social media, a powerful tool for education and organization, co opted into a dead eyed utopia for brands to post the most Sacharin shit imaginable and have it forced into your feed happy meal as app, and I get the energy that he is responding to right like that. It's there was a time where social media and this this era of the Internet represented endless possibility of connection and power building and organizing and engagement. And I'm we're using it to get you know, Netflix's little brand jokes about love is blind and we're not even choosing to see that. It's just being surfaced to us because that's what Adam MOSERI and Mark Zuckerberg think that we want from the Internet. And it is I mean, I don't want to sound like a downer, but it is a little sad to me that these are the people who are architecting what our digital future looks like. This is what they think that we want or and that we should be happy to get it. If we're like, oh, we don't like that, they're like, oh no, no, no, you're actually wrong, You actually don't You're actually too stupid to know what you like, And don't like. Actually, I know what you like and don't like. I know more what you like than you know, and I just hate that. And I also think that Ed's post that I read earlier. You know, when Twitter first started, it was a platform with a little bit of a reverence and a little bit of zaniness and humor and areness, and it did feel new and exciting back in the day. And it hasn't felt like that for a really long time. Mostly it just feels exhausting. And I think that's one of the reasons why I don't necessarily see a future for a Twitter clone that is connected to like my Instagram Facebook universe. This might be specific to me, but folks can let me know what they think. I just think that my Instagram Facebook universe is too broad of a universe for me to then go put my takes out onto right like my mom follows me on Facebook, my high school English teacher follows me on Facebook, right like my high school friends follow me on Facebook. Twitter is a much more niche platform. Less people use it, and even less people than that actually make content and post there, so it kind of feels a little bit safer to put like whatever bizarre niche take. I want out into the universe on Twitter, the idea of like Emily from my senior year math class reading my deep dive tweets into the Adipole complex in the movie Boa Is Afraid. It's a little much like I think there should be some division in the way that I there is some division for me and how I show up on Twitter versus how I show up on Instagram. I don't necessarily want those universes mesh together, you know.
Speaker 2: I think I said this last week because I kind of like having different apps for like different audiences and different groups of people that I communicate with and different types of content that I want to look at something you said just before about what a sad end game for social media and you know, thinking about threads being essentially just a clone of Twitter, which I think everyone agrees, like that's exactly.
Speaker 3: What it is.
Speaker 2: Twitter, like you said, really came to prominence ago in a different era. Twitter was different, the Internet was different, we were different, and so cloning Twitter now it's just like a radically different thing than what Twitter was, and Twitter arguably hasn't been that for a while. So it's you know, if you clone the technology of a platform that was something that people really liked and valued a few years ago and maybe has fallen off in more recent times. You're probably gonna end up with something that is similarly not what people are looking for. In twenty twenty three, then again, thirty million people downloaded it.
Speaker 3: What do I know? But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I remained optimistic that we're gonna do something new, right, Like, We're not just gonna all shift to some new platform that is a clone of the old platform, that like, something genuinely new and different and possibly centralized is going to come along.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's Spill, you know, maybe it's there are a couple people who are like I think all of the interesting new alternatives to social media platforms are all coming from marginalized creators. There's Somewhere Good, which is an audio based, intimate, audio based social networking platform. They're spill. Yeah. I don't want to make it seem like I'm like Doom and Gloom. I will forever be an optimist. I think that when you get people who care about connection online together, really important stuff can happen, Really groundbreaking stuff can happen. But we actually need to be centering and empowering those voices and having some of these fucking dipshits get out of the way, who are just trying to make everything worse, Like it isn't life hard enough? Do we have to make everything worse? So on Wednesday, Twitter threatened to sue Meta because, as you just said, Mike, it's basically Threads is like basically a Twitter clone. I don't even want to like get too much into this because I really hate this kind of cola wars PEVSI versus COPE framing. I don't I don't like talking about this as a business story because the reality is that we're talking about, as we just demonstrated, we're talking about our ability to like connect with people, access information, and like functionally use our largest communications platforms that are so connected to our ways of life, social engagement, democracy, politics. So that's really what's at risk. So I just mentioned the lawsuit because it's part of a story. I think talking about this from a perspective of like, ooh, what are these two CEOs going to do? Or are they going to cage fight duke it out? I think it really lends credibility into the way that both of these bad actors have been behaving the way that they've been putting all of us at risk, and it kind of adds credence to that. So I don't like that, but I will say that in respond thanks to the threads, roll wout and this lawsuit, Twitter's new CEO, Linda Yakarino tweeted something that I thought was pretty rich. She tweeted, on Twitter, everyone's voice matters. Whether you're here to watch history unfold, which you can't do, discover real time information all over the world which is all inaccurate, share your opinions, or learn about others. At Twitter, you can be real unless your account is being impersonated. You built the Twitter community, prayer, hands emoji, clap emoji, and that's irreplaceable. That is your public square. We're often imitated, but the Twitter community can never be duplicated. Now I agree with her in some parts, right, we the people, we did build Twitter, We did build the community. But here's why I think that sentiment is so rich coming from her. It's like when COVID started and all the airlines were like, we're a family here at American Airlines, and you're like, oh, were we a family when y'all charge me for eighty dollars for my suitcase. Were we a family when you bumped me from my flight? No, we're not a family. So it's pretty rich for her to be talking about community now that they see that there are other games in town, other alternatives for people to get their online engagement. Now it's about community. Since Elon Musk took over, Twitter has not given a single crap about community. Anyone whose job it was to foster community at Twitter, from blackbirds to other identity specific groups, were all let go, and Elon did so while making it crystal clear that as far as he was concerned, the only job or role at Twitter that mattered was engineering, which side note he also sucks at managing him because Twitter was broken all weekend? So was Twitter a community when Elon blew up verifications and put users who actually built the community at risk? Were you looking out for Twitter's community when you let hate mongers, extremists and transoms back on? Maybe, but that is not a community that I would ever want to be part of, And Linda is right. It is the people, especially marginalized people, who make Twitter worth showing up to. That is a community that Elon has attacked and undermined and targeted the people who do that work of building the community on the platform. Those are the people that he has targeted again and again and again and put at risk. So we did build this community on Twitter, and that every turn Elon Musk treats us, the people who built that community like freeloaders who are behind on rent, that we owe him simply for showing up. And so I say, like, very rich to be talking about how much you value community? Now, where is that value when people didn't want to give you eight dollars?
Speaker 3: Elon damn? Sounds a little personal?
Speaker 1: Well what is I mean? I just don't like being told that my contribution if I'm not willing to personally shell over eight dollars to Elon Musk, my contribution as a community member of Twitter, but on the platform since the beginning, does it make a difference. But now when they're seeing there are other apps out there that might be able to recreate what they're doing, whether they do it well or not is, you know, remains to be seen. Now they want to talk about community. This is the first time that Elon Musk has ever talked about community. To me, where where is this coming from? Right? And so like, I just don't appreciate the flim flam, and I don't appreciate having him talk. I don't appreciate Twitter high ups talking out of both sides of their mouth and playing at all of our faces. Because if for a community, being a community is not just cashing my checks and treating me like garbage. Being a community means actually representing me and actually advocating and supporting my interest and my well being, which I have not seen from Twitter in the last six months. So yeah, I guess it is personal. Answer your question. Yeah, I'm angry about it, and I guess we'll stop it there enough. Mike, thank you so much for being here as always. Thanks for keeping me grounded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks thanks for having me on. This was a long Twitter app. But maybe next week everything will just be cool on Twitter.
Speaker 3: We can talk about other stuff.
Speaker 1: Here's hoping. Thanks so much for listening as always. To get more ad free content and to support the show, just go to patreon dot com slash tangoty and thanks so much for listening. If you're looking for ways to support the show, check out our March store at tangody dot com. Slash store. Got a story about an interesting thing in tech, or just want to say hi. You can reach us at Hello at tangody dot com. You can also find transcripts for today's episode at tengody dot com. There Are No Girls on the Internet was created by me Bridget Tod. It's a production of iHeartRadio and Unboss Creative, edited by Joey Pat Jonathan Strickland as our executive producer, Tari Harrison as our producer, and sound engineer. Michael Almada is our contributing producer. I'm your host, Bridget Todd. If you want to help us grow, rate and review.
Speaker 4: Us on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.