Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app Our two. On this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Nuts Dan Patrick Show come on in. Stay awhile Gangzol here ready to go. More phone calls coming up. We'll dive in a little deeper with the Michigan signs stealing scandal. More information came out and uh, it's getting interesting. I don't know where it leads to. I don't know by the time the NCAA would rule on something like this, it might be three years down the road. I think Michigan is still being investigated or waiting for the fallout from what happened during COVID when they have impermissible contact with recruits. But what if Michigan would win the national title this year? And now you have that feeling like the Astros that does Michigan need to do this? Do they need to steal signs? And what is the rule? Can I have an advanced scout? This has been around for I think thirty years where they came up with this rule, And I don't know if it's you know, cost efficiency that not all schools can afford to send somebody. But if you have somebody who bought tickets sat midfield and is videotaping the other team getting signals there, what if you go to a game and take notes and I don't videotape trying to figure all this out. I don't know if that's against the rule or not. But we'll dive into this coming up in a little bit. Wednesday, the Country gets chucked. Everybody's favorite killer doll is back. New episodes of Chucky every Wednesday at nine eighth Central in USA and I available next day on Peacock, which is where you can watch this show. We say good morning. There are a few dozen bottles of Tailgate moonshine available at danpatrick dot com. These are pumpkin spice maple moonshine. Get them while they last. Also go to danpatrick dot com sign up for the newsletter. You'll get a heads up when the calendars are available. Best calendar we've made. It's awesome. We based it off famous portraits down through history, and there is nudity in there. Once again not safe for work. There's some nudity.
Speaker 1: Fritzy. I think is nude in this one.
Speaker 2: I don't know anybody else nude in the calendar or at least partially nude.
Speaker 1: Mark that's for next year? Oh, next year is all nude?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes done.
Speaker 4: I usually start nude and then the French kid tells me if he actually needs me to put on clothes and then do Yeah.
Speaker 2: Todd goes in thinking you're supposed to be naked, and they go no, no, no no. Diamondbacks beat the Phillies, advance to the World Series against the Rangers, just like everybody predicted. Right, you have the Nuggets getting their rings banner raised. Last night they handled the Lakers. Golden State Warriors lose at home to the Phoenix Suns. Victor Wanbaiama makes his debut tonight against Dallas. The Diamondbacks had a regular season run differential of minus fifteen. That's the worst run differential for a World Series team since the nineteen eighty seven Twins.
Speaker 5: Stat of the day, stat of the day, that beast stat of the day, stat of the day, here comes that what stat of the day.
Speaker 2: It does make them interesting because they're not your typical Hey, we just sit back and hit home runs. They steal bases, Oh my god, what Yes, they're old school Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: Staff was great. Give them credit. They won't get the credit. It'll be about Philly collapsing. You go back home. You need to win one game. You lose both of those and this is bad.
Speaker 1: That was bad.
Speaker 2: But the Diamondbacks jumped out early. Pitching kept him in there, silenced the bats. Top of the order was not good at all. And Arizona and Texas in the World Series. By the way, Dylan the graphics guy has Texas. He picked Texas to win the World Series at the start of the playoffs, and we'll update that, of course with the podcast tomorrow. Dan Patrick takes a gamble with Shan Irving and bad Larry.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marvin, do you think MLB's like great Arizona exs series?
Speaker 2: Okay, what else are they going to do? You got to embrace it now. You have to work harder at kind of spicing this up. A little bit because hey, Rice Harper's in there or the Astros are in there.
Speaker 1: You're going to get a tune in factor.
Speaker 2: Now, you don't have that to do a little bit of homework here, and you're gonna have to go above and beyond and try to bring out some stories that people will be interested in.
Speaker 7: Yes see, somebody presented the poll question which might be unfair more interesting series? Rangers Diamondback World Series or Astro's Phillies third place.
Speaker 1: Game Astros Phillies. Yeah, probably so.
Speaker 7: But is that just because we know those teams or are they just genuinely more interesting?
Speaker 2: They're more interesting and we know them, and you have an opinion about both of those teams, Like Texas, does anybody really have an opinion about them one way or another? Arizona they're like, okay, they won eighty four games. Maybe it's like we're getting introduced to the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: We are going to be in November and we're gonna get get to know your Diamondback.
Speaker 1: We should do that, PAULI know your dim I was not prepared for that. How about know your Arizona Cardon? Do I do the Coyotes? Oh, Coyotes or Diamondbacks. Yeah, oh my god, how about that? Yes, fun, Yes, it's tough to do.
Speaker 7: Know your Rangers, followed by know your Diamondbacks as the two World Series team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that's I know, that is I know tough. I know, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 6: So, should we just go back to whoever has the best record wins the Pennant and meets up in the World Series.
Speaker 1: Yes, please, the way thank you the way it used to be.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the way it used to be.
Speaker 2: If you won your division best record and you know, the Red Sox would finish second, Ted Williams would be like, up, sorry, you're not going to the World Series.
Speaker 1: It's the Yankees, Yes.
Speaker 6: Mark, Dodgers Astros would be like what the Yankees Dodgers used to be back in the fifties.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go the World Series. This year would have been Braves versus Oriols.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's where if you're the Braves or the Dodgers and you're going the Diamondbacks, you have all this had great regular season the Diamondbacks, but it goes back to what we've talked about many many times, where you have these teams unlikely teams you win the wild card, and those teams are always the most dangerous because they've been in playoff mode. You know, Washington Nationals, the Giants in twenty fourteen, the Cardinals in twenty eleven. Then you had a three year run O two with the Angels, O three with the Marlins, O four with the Red Sox, all wildcard teams who went on to win the World Series.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, the Dodgers outscored their opponents this year by two hundred and seven runs. The Braves outscored their opponents by two thirty one. And let's see the Tampa Bay Rays outscored their opponents by one ninety five, the Rangers by plus one sixty five, and again the Diamacks were minus fifteen. But you know, you can't use fluke like I guess, like even the NCAA tournament, you could fluke your way to one win, but you can't fluke your way to Butler being in the finals against Duke like the Diamondbacks. You know, it wasn't a one game series. They earned their way there. And sometimes in football, a team that shouldn't be there got there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we've seen college basketball teams get on a run where they might win three or four games, they don't win at all, but they do surprise a lot of these teams where you're like, where did that? Where did George Mason come from? It does happen?
Speaker 4: Butler was the one that made it to the title game and had a shot twice, Yeah, twice?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are we going to dive into this Michigan story here? Austin Meek He is a staff writer covering Michigan football and basketball for the Athletic. He's written a couple of columns here did a deep dive on this. Austin kind enough to join us here? All right, help me understand what? What is Michigan accused of doing illegally?
Speaker 8: So there's an NCAA rule that's been on the book since nineteen ninety four. It says that teams can't scout their opponents in person during the same season, and the allegation is that the staffer, a mis Chigan Connor Stallions who's been suspended, was basically coordinating this off campus scouting ring, buying tickets at other big ten stadiums and other stadiums around the country, and then coordinating people to go in and watch the games. And film the signals of the other teams, which, at least according to the spirit of the NCAA rule, would be a violation.
Speaker 2: What if you're not filming, what if you're just observing? I mean, like, how deep does this go that makes it illegal? If I just going on watching, watching your mannerisms, your gestures, your signals, is that illegal?
Speaker 8: So there's actually two separate rules that would be applicable. One of them is about technology and filming, and one of them is just about scouting. And the definition of scouting is really vague in the rule, and I think that's part of what this is going to hinge on, is what actually is scouting. If you have somebody who's just a fan in the stands observing the game, does that person count as a scout of your school? And I don't honestly know the answer to that. I think there will be a lot of technical arguments made about the definition of a scout. And that's why I go back to the spirit of the rule is that you can't do this, But in terms of how the letter of the law is interpreted, I really don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 2: It's like to flategate. I think the rule is silly. But if you're going to lie to the NCAA or you know, Jim Harbaugh says they didn't do anything wrong, they're already under investigation. I guess for you know what happened during COVID. He says he wants to be the I think gold standard here with his program. It's did they offer him a contract extension this season?
Speaker 1: And is that on the back burner now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so we've reported that before any of this came out, Michigan was in the process of working on a massive contract extension for Jim Harbaugh. In fact, there had been hopes that that would get done in the next couple weeks. And my understanding is, yeah, that's on the back burner now. I don't think Michigan can signed Jim Harbaugh to a huge contract tension with all of this going down, and it just the timing of it is not good for Michigan given the fact that Jim Harbaugh served a three game suspension to start this season, they already have had NCBLEA issues. Michigan stood by Jim Harbaugh in the midst of that, but I have to imagine for a similar thing to come up now in the middle of this season. As Michigan is undefeated and right now the favorite to win the National Championship, it has to be really disappointing for a lot of people around Michigan.
Speaker 2: Doesn't this come down to the Commissioner of the Big Ten, not the NCAA, because the Commissioner of the Big Ten is going to determine they have the authority, They have the exclusive authority to determine sportsmanship violations, if they've occurred, what the penalty should be. So this really isn't the NCUBLEA. This is the new commissioner of the Big Ten, I believe.
Speaker 8: I think Tony Pettiti is in a really interesting position here. The Big Ten was notified by the NCBLEA that the NCUBA was investigating this as a potential infractions case, and that put the Big Ten, I think, in kind of a bind. Because you're absolutely right, the Big Ten has a responsibility to ensure fair competition in its games. Tony Petiti has the authority to punish Michigan or Jim Harbaugh if they deem that to be justified. At the same time, I think that the Big Ten is trying to keep a little bit of distance and not get in the way of the NCUBLEA investigation. Defer to the NCUBLEA since they have been informed that the NCUBLEA is investigating. But I would think, knowing what we know about the NCUBLEA process and how long it takes, I think there will be some pressure on the Big Ten in the meantime to step in and do something if it seems like the integrity of Big ten football games has been compromised.
Speaker 2: And I wonder because if the NCAA is left to rule on this, this could take years, but the Big Ten like that could be something that they could rule on. I'm going to guess pretty soon if they found enough, or imagine Michigan winning a national title, that's going.
Speaker 1: To stoke this up.
Speaker 2: As you know, the further they go along this season, the more successful. It's like the Astros where you go, well, they're cheating, Well, you know they're somehow cheating. And then I know that there's some Internet sleuths who are posting photos here of the signals of videos of you know, people who are you know, trying to steal.
Speaker 1: Is that the proof here.
Speaker 2: That hey, they have a card, a placard that has signs on it that shows you know what teams are calling, or maybe they're they're audibles there.
Speaker 8: Well no, So a lot of the videos that have surfaced on social media, the ones of Connor Stallions on the sideline standing next to Michigan's coordinators, that's actually all perfectly legal. Sign Stealing isn't illegal in college football. Every program does it. Every program probably has a card with other teams signals on it. So the real question is how was Connor Stallions gathering the information that he used to try to decode the other team's signal. He had a reputation in Michigan's program as a guy who was really good at decoding signals, but was he doing it in a way that broke nc double A rules? And so, really, I think the incriminating evidence is going to be if there's somehow video evidence of people that can be tied back to Michigan in other stadiums taking video, If the NCAA is able to get Connor Stallion's computer and can see that people were sending him videos of signals, I think that would be much more incriminating than anything that would surface of him on the Michigan sideline.
Speaker 2: But Austin, why don't they get up, get up to speed with modern technology and have the communication in the helmet, just like you know, there are high school teams that have this. Why doesn't the NC DOUBLEA or at least you know, certain conferences have this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's been a big push. I think if anything comes of this, I won't be surprised if this situation is the catalyst for in helmet communication to happen in college football the way it happens in the NFL. I think there are lots of reasons why it hasn't happened, and one of the reasons maybe that teams still feel like they can get a competitive advantage by operating in these gray areas, and teams don't like to give that up. But I think, certainly from the Big Ten perspective, and I think a lot of people around college football are going to look at this situation and say, this is just a scandal waiting to happen, to continue to not have the in helmet communication and create this gray area that it appears that Michigan and probably some other programs have been trying to exploit.
Speaker 2: Well, you had Dion saying it's not a big deal. Matt Ruhle said, it's not a big deal. It's almost like, Hey, I know my pitcher is scuffing up the ball and your pitcher's probably scuffing up the ball. Let's just call the whole thing off. We're not going to tattle on each other. But the importance of this with Ohio State and their media, this isn't going away anytime soon. But I'm just curious what happens next.
Speaker 8: Well, Dan, I think you're right that the Big Ten will have some decisions to make, and if we're looking for some sort of punishment to happen soon, I think it would either have to be something from Michigan or something from the Big Ten, because we know how the NCAA works. But it's hard for me to see that happening unless there's something really really conclusive. I don't think the Big Ten wants to step in and suspend Jim Harbaugh or declare Michigan ineligible for the Big Ten championship game when this team is ranked number two and undefeated. That certainly wouldn't be good for the league if Michigan is not eligible. So I think there are going to be some hard decisions to make. As more comes out, there may be increasing pressure for something to happen. But it's just hard for me to see anybody really stepping in and derailing this Michigan team that could very well play for a national championship.
Speaker 2: You've done a great job on this the last two columns. I've read a lot of information in there, Austin, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 8: All right, thanks Dan.
Speaker 2: Austin Meek staff wrighter covering Michigan football and basketball for the Athletic Yeah. I don't know where this goes. I don't know if it goes anywhere anytime soon. But a source just said to me it's really up to the commissioner. The commissioner of the Big Ten has exclusive authority to determine if sportsmanship violations have occurred and what the penalty would be.
Speaker 1: This isn't the NCAA.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Tony Pettiti, who just got there as the commissioner, wants to hurt Michigan's chances of maybe bringing the Big Ten a national championship. All right, Well, take a break, Doc Rivers, he's working for the Mothership now, is an NBA analyst, and Doc will join us coming up right after this Dan Patrick Show. Treiger Grills went out there today in fact, we have all these cameras set up, and I asked the big german who directs the show with all the cameras. They said, hey, can I have a monitor that I'm looking at Tregerville right now? That's on my screen right in front of me, and I can just look and see make sure it's all cleaned up, anybody's out there, anybody's cooking anything, And uh, looks pretty good right now. Beautiful the Tregerville. And you can have this too. Welcome to the Traggerhood and you can get your own tragger and there's a variety of them. If you want something smaller to go tailgating, you want something larger to entertain the community the neighborhood. They have everything for you. And it comes down to the signature hardwood pellets. People ask me all the time, all right, what's the difference, and I go, it's the pellets. It keeps the moisture in. Everything's fresh, juicy, tastes great. It's hard to really screw up a recipe, and they have step by step recipe inspiration at tregger dot com. Visit trager dot com to see what's cooking and remember use DP show at checkout that will get your free shipping. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Twenty minutes from now, Fritzy's Diamondbacks song his tribute to the Arizona Diamondbacks. It will be to the tune of Hire by Creed, So we're forewarning everybody in Arizona maybe it's time to take your kids out of school. It'll be a beautiful moment, rejoiceful moment when todd sings his tribute to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Doc Rivers will join us coming up here as well. Doc will be on the call. It'll be Celtics and the Knicks coming up tonight at seven the Eastern on the Mothership and then Warriors King's Friday Night that'll be on the Mothership as well. A couple of phone calls in here, Michael and Fort Wayne. Hey, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Good morning, Dan, Thanks for taking my call. Yeah, I feel morally or more obligated to talk about Fritzy's song that's coming up. I like, I want to support him, but after hearing what he did to the Olivia Newton, John and Bert Young tributes, I think we need to up the ante a little bit here. When Fritzi ignores the beat and just speeds ahead of the song like he does, it causes me physical pain. So I propose if he wants to proceed with his song, there should be some kind of risk in order for him to improve. I think if it happens again today, he should get a pie to the face on behalf of your captive audience.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well, thank you, Michael. I'll take that under advisement. I did hear Fritzi practicing the song? Is this going to be a true tribute to them? Is it going to be? Are you going to try to make it good?
Speaker 6: Yes, it's not a spoof, and I will try to go slower in the actual stinging of it.
Speaker 7: Maybe the song is can you take these pires like pie instead of higher higher?
Speaker 2: Ian Rappaport is reporting the Titans are going to go with rookie quarterback Will Levis starting on Sunday. Ryan Tannehill, with his ankle, is likely out Paul and Iowa. Hi Paul, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey Dan, I have a comparison on Big Ten football fan bases with this Michigan situation. But first shout out to Andrew Down's program director k X and O of you're affiliate in des Moines. They're losing the great guy there and we're going to miss him on the radio. But for Michigan, this just shows that winning and scoring points cures everything. Because nobody in the Michigan fan base is calling for Harbaugh's head, but two states over here, we have a fan base that wants the athletic department to circumvent the head coach and fire his oc son right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're taking you You'll take any points you can get. When you're just coming off a horrible call on that loss and the over under was the lowest in college football history. They're begging for some signs stealing there, Iowa. Yeah, seton.
Speaker 7: By the way, Andrew Downs is a great guy. He was when I was in Des Moines, he was essentially if I was the mayor, he was like the chief of staff, and he opened up that whole city to me. Really really great dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we appreciate the support in Des Moin. Yeah, Pauline, I love the local reaction to Jim Harbaugh. He's never been in better shape as a Michigan head coach. They're about to give him a contract extension, which they want to do. He's beaten Ohio State every year. They're what second chance, best chance for the national title this year?
Speaker 1: His career has never been better in Michigan. Yeah, they don't want to lose him in the NFL. They don't want to get punished.
Speaker 2: They don't have a problem with is Oh. It's like, hey, everybody else should be doing the same thing. It seems archaic though, that you can't go out and scout your opponent. You can't videotape, and they do that in high school where you can go out and scout your opponent. Chad in California, Hi, Chad, what's on your mind today about?
Speaker 3: All? Right?
Speaker 11: So, back in May, I was leaving an Angel Rangers game. I'm a longtime Angel fan. Regrettably, I might ads and Rangers just kicked our butts, walked out, sat in my car and put two hundred fifty bucks on the Rangers to win the World Series. It is two hundred three dollars to win eleven thousand dollars. And now I'm debating whether or not I should be hedging out of this, take the wife some more nice, or if I should let a ride have to hide my life.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know your financial situation, Chad. You can win eleven thousand dollars if you hedge your bet?
Speaker 1: What what? What can you win six thousand?
Speaker 11: I can guarantee six. I can get a little riskier do like a three to eight situation. But obviously my heart says let it ride.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can have a wonderful vacation at six grand. You could have two vacations for eleven grand. All right, let's let's let's now. I got five guys here, so I'm gonna do you want to take our advice? If I give you a yay or nay, do you let it ride?
Speaker 3: Will?
Speaker 11: I will take the group's advice.
Speaker 1: Okay, seat, and I'll start with you. Yeay, r nay?
Speaker 2: Let it ride for eleven grand for Chad in California on the Rangers to win it all?
Speaker 7: Man, two vacations sounds like a lot of fun, man, But how many awesome vacations could you have. If that hits many more, what is your answer?
Speaker 1: Yes or no? Let it ride?
Speaker 7: I think just for the content I'm saying, let it ride. I'm sorry. I hope that your marriage and life goes well.
Speaker 1: Marvin, let it ride? Head juice, Bet?
Speaker 6: How is he financially?
Speaker 1: I don't, It doesn't matter. Oh then let it ride.
Speaker 2: Okay, Paulie, let it ride. Let it ride A big vote, paul is a big vote.
Speaker 4: All right, Let it ride and let your wife know first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chad, good luck, good Huck. What could go wrong?
Speaker 11: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: She's in good die.
Speaker 2: Then she's a real all right, Now we have a reason to watch the World Series. Chad in California, Doc Rivers, he'll be on the call Celtics in the Knicks tonight. Oh, you got to dust off the microphone? Do you remember how to do this?
Speaker 8: Doc?
Speaker 3: But I don't know, Dan. I'm looking at the picture behind you.
Speaker 12: You got I think that's how Michael's if I'm met you in My eyes are still right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, I'm gonna try to dust them off.
Speaker 12: And at least I'm not talking about, you know, golf or something I don't know, you know, So let's hope it all works out.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you a coach when you're a commentator. Are you a former player when you're a commentator. Are you a fan when you're a commentator?
Speaker 3: Well, hope, I'm all three. You know.
Speaker 12: It's interesting. When I first did this, I think Dan, you were eleven. With my first broadcast, I sit next to Berne Lunquist and he told me, listen, son, you can do this a lot of ways. The way I would do it, I would celebrate the game. I would make sure everyone leaves the game happier with knowledge and they enjoy it.
Speaker 3: So that's what I'm going to try to do.
Speaker 1: How's the voice?
Speaker 2: Because usually when I talk to you, you got your coach for voice.
Speaker 1: I worry about that voice of yours.
Speaker 3: Oh I do too. You know. It's funny. My daughter played me a clip.
Speaker 12: A year before I took my coaching job, and that was a different voice. So I guess it's if you had you know, I don't know, twenty kids, you know, at a camp every day where the acoustics were awful, and you did it for twenty four years.
Speaker 3: This is what would happened to your voice?
Speaker 1: Have you gone to see somebody?
Speaker 3: Oh? I have.
Speaker 12: I actually, when I was with the Celtics, I had a pollop on my vocal cord.
Speaker 3: Had to get a removed, which is scary.
Speaker 12: You've heard those stories where you know, any bad incision on that and you're voiceless. Other than that, it's just my voice. It's just Thibodeau's voice. It's you know, it's a lot of screaming and lot arenas, and it happens. It does feel stronger now, but this is going to be my voice for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Fritzy does an impersonation of you.
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it? Okay?
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, okay, I've heard a lot of them. Okay, all right, I want you to judge it. All right, Fritzy, how about you play Doc Rivers and I'm going to interview you after a big win and uh hey, coach, congratulations, how did you do it?
Speaker 1: You know, Dan, we played within ourselves. I told the guys before we took the court. Forget about the name of the back of your jersey. It's only about what's on the front. It was our first team effort in a while.
Speaker 13: I don't see guys running go to the scores table with a video board looking for the stat.
Speaker 1: Line and we went big, we went small. Proud of the guys. We got to shore up a couple of things.
Speaker 3: Thanks mam.
Speaker 12: Hey, that's that's really good. Slow to case, slow it down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Other than that, it's perfect. That was that was really good. That's that's better than Jamie Fox's impersonation.
Speaker 2: Well, Fritzi's kind of morphed into Kevin Harland there too, a little bit. Yeah, Frenzy does a great Kevin Harlan.
Speaker 1: The Nuggets have gone up eight to six and the Oklahoma City Thunder want to talk about it? A seven ozer run? This is the NBA on TNT.
Speaker 3: You know, Kevin is a good friend.
Speaker 12: I did games with Kevin and I remember one of his first games and now I'm you know, a season bet with Turner in my third year and it was a Houston Rockets game. It was the literally and I'm not is the third player of the game, and Kevin goes b you know, and he looks at me and he says, too early, maybe.
Speaker 2: A little bit all right, how would you use Victor one by? How how much playing time would you give him if you were coaching him?
Speaker 12: You know what's surprising is all the talk about playing time with him. You know, I think you're just gonna play him. They see him every day. You know, I wouldn't worry about the minutes with him early. I've never heard that much talk with rookies. Maybe because of Zion people are concerned, or because of his body tight you know, Check gets injured last year.
Speaker 3: I think Pop is just.
Speaker 12: Gonna play him, you know, thirty thirty five minutes a night if he's healthy. But man, I gotta tell you, Dan, he looks special, like special special to me in everything that I see, and you know, forget the talent and all that. What I see that I liked them most is he has this this competitive thing in him that you can actually see. You saw when they played Oklahoma. You saw it after the first bad game in the Summer League and that second game. He's done it. He did it a bunch last year too. He's played with grown men already in his life. Matt Broman, this talented. Yeah, I just think they're not gonna worry about it, and if something tells him too, they will. But I don't think that's the game plan. It's worrying about minutes with him.
Speaker 1: Talking to Doc Rivers.
Speaker 2: He'll be on the call for the Mothership Celtics and the next tonight at seven Eastern with Mike Breen. Also, he'll be working Friday Night Warriors and the Kings at ten eastern.
Speaker 1: Explain to me how Joe Kich does this?
Speaker 3: Boy, it's hard.
Speaker 12: You know. I made a comment like three or four years ago, like I mean this at the time. You remember when his body didn't look as good as it looks now. I was like, this big, overweight bartender is destroying us. He's destroying us, and that's how he looked. And you watch him play then it's absolutely beautiful. In almost everything he does is passing his shots.
Speaker 3: His shot and.
Speaker 12: Making ability doesn't get enough play. You know, obviously he could make the three. You know he has great post moves, but his unorthodox little flip shots in traffic through contact and we're talking all that, and then you forget the best part of his game in this passing he can. He's one of those guys Magic Johnson type that he makes his whole team better. Uh, immediately, everybody that plays on the floor, I would be I would be scared of I was a GM to sign a player from the Denver Nuggets, because you're really like, he makes them that much better, and so you're trying to evaluate, well, if we take them, will this guy.
Speaker 3: Be that good?
Speaker 2: When's the last time you were watching a game as a player or a coach and you found yourself just watching the game, not playing in the game or coaching in the game. You were admiring something that you were seeing.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a that's a great question.
Speaker 12: It's been a long time, I'll tell you that because once you once you coach, at if you've interviewed a million coaches, you never watched the game as just the game anymore. I'm watching the game last night and Golden State I thought, run a terrific play, and the next thing, you know, I'm jotting it down and trying to figure out, you know, different ways to stop it, different ways to run it.
Speaker 3: If you're on offense.
Speaker 12: You know, you see things a lot in games, you know, and so I think from being a player, but more from being a coach, it's just hard to watch it that way. But you still enjoy You enjoy beautiful basketball, probably more now.
Speaker 2: But you didn't find yourself as a player going damn, that's impressive, Like watching it that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did absolutely. You know, when you're playing guys, you know.
Speaker 12: I did, Darb Michael, and there are times I was running down the course shaking my head, thinking, damn, that's impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you do it.
Speaker 12: Even as a coach, there's times where especially when guys do it on your team, but even when guys on the other team, you're just so impressed by some of these guys in the way they play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that absolutely still crosses your mind.
Speaker 2: If a GM called you to get your opinion on James Harden, you would say, what.
Speaker 3: That's the maybe the best question someone's asked me.
Speaker 12: He went playing right, and if you watch, I tell everyone go back to the first half of last year where he gave himself to the team. Then we were the best team in the NBA for a ten to twenty games stretch and it was you know, obviously we have Joel and Tyrese and Tobias, but we were because James was.
Speaker 3: Being a point guard. You know.
Speaker 12: It's funny a coach called me and said, I never thought anyone could get him to do that, and he did, you know, for a short term.
Speaker 3: So that's what I would tell them. And if you can keep them.
Speaker 12: In that and not want to chase numbers or wanted to score the thirst of scoring, then you have a terrific player.
Speaker 2: Change though, Doc, what changed? He was playing perfectly? I thought, for you guys, yeah.
Speaker 3: He really was.
Speaker 12: I would say not making the All Star team really bothered him. And I thought that that was egregious. You know, the coaches just didn't put them on. You know, he was only leading the league in scoring or an assist. He was having his best three point percent and shooting a year of his career. He was averaging plus twenty and the coaches didn't put him on the All Star team.
Speaker 3: And he would never say.
Speaker 12: This, but in my gut, I thought it changed almost immediately. Remember about a game or two after that, he called me and said, hey, I want to start coming and playing with the second unit more.
Speaker 3: And I know.
Speaker 1: Exactly what that means, more shots.
Speaker 3: More shots. I want to go back to attack it and playing. And you know, we had.
Speaker 12: Our ups and downs from that point on. You know, it was funny about our relationship. It was an honest one. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: It's probably why I'm doing TV right now. But you have to be honest as a.
Speaker 12: Coach and you have to you have to just keep selling it, like listen, when you do this, it may not be the best or most fun for you, but we are a better team. And I never relented on that, and I thought he appreciated that, even he've been at.
Speaker 3: The very end.
Speaker 1: But more frustrating Harden or Ben Simmons.
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, that's a good one.
Speaker 12: I would say maybe James, only because James can't, you know, like when he did, we were great. Ben was frustrating a whole different way, you know, you know, just the mental part, the health part, the injury part, you know, just the work ethic part. I mean, all those things. And so that was a different type of frustration. I didn't I didn't have the frustration when being thinking if Ben did this, we can win it.
Speaker 3: But I surely had that with James.
Speaker 12: And so because I'm in it to win it, I think maybe that would be more frustrating for you.
Speaker 2: Plus, it must be tough to coach somebody that you don't know if they love basketball. Certain guys are good at sports. You gotta love basketball. And I wondered if Ben loved basketball or he was just good at basketball.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I would say, I agree with that. There are times, and that's through the league, you know that, like, if you don't love the game, you can only be good at it. And I've always said this, the playoffs always exposes guys who really love them because the pressure of the playoffs and the intensity of the games. If you don't absolutely love it, it will eat you up. It does, and you can see it every year with certain guys, and so yeah, I would say you're right on that like that that I always look at Ben though, And this is the coach park that probably does us all in Dan, like every coach, if the if were like man, I tell you if he loved it, or if if I could get him to play this way, like he is a freak of nature athletically, body wise, vision wise.
Speaker 3: But the rest of the park wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the broadcasting community, Doc are you Are you here for good? Or is this just a temporary John?
Speaker 3: I don't even know the answer to that yet.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 12: Right now, I would say I feel like it's something that I want to just do. I'm having the most fun that I've had in a long time. And that didn't cause it three in the morning, you know, so it's a pretty good life. So I'm playing on staying there.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. We'll be listening tonight watching.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Doc oh always thank you. That's Doc Rivers.
Speaker 2: He is going to be on the Call to night Celtics Knicks with the Great Mike Breen and then Warriors King's Friday Night. Both of those games will be on the mother Ship. Some very revealing stuff. We'll discuss that when we return, plus Fritzi's tribute song to the Arizona Diamondbacks. You've been warned back after this. If I'm one thing today, I'm full of energy. I might be full of other things, but I had a great night sleep because every great day starts the night before. That allows me to put up with Fritzie. You need your energy.
Speaker 1: You always have energy.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd, and I always have to put up with you. Sleep number beds. Go in sleep number dot com slash Patrick and ask about the sleep number setting. How do you get a sleep number mine seventy five. How about the sleepiq technology?
Speaker 1: Hey? Dan says that it's two beds in one.
Speaker 2: How did they do that? Well, it's adjustable firmness on each side. There's temperature benefits. They have smart beds that keep you sleeping just perfectly. They also offer up tips like keeping a consistent sleep schedule, making sleep a priority, avoid disruptions, stay away from caffeine that can stay in your system up to ten hours. Right now'll say five hundred dollars on the new Sleep Number smart beds plus special financing only at sleep Number stores or sleep number dot com. Slash Patrick Sleep Number and official Crucial Catch partner of the NFL Sea Store for details. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 4: Two NBA Insiders podcasting twice a week to plug you right into the NBA great.
Speaker 14: Fine all happening in only one place. This League Uncut, the new NBA podcast with me.
Speaker 1: Chris Haynes and me Mark Stein join.
Speaker 14: Us as we team up to expound on everything we're covering.
Speaker 3: Hearing and Chason.
Speaker 6: Listen to This League Uncut with Chris Haynes and Mark Stein.
Speaker 14: On the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: That was an interesting conversation with Doc Rivers took a left turn there talking about James Harden when things changed for James Harden, and Doc thinks when he didn't make the All Star team, he decided that he wanted to go back to being the old James Harden. He also said, it's frustrating because James can as opposed to Ben Simmons, and he was inferring that Ben can't. Ben has all the talent, But I said, what's more frustrating and he was saying, Harden because he can do all these things really well, Ben can't.
Speaker 4: Yees, Pauline, I learned more about how the Sixers season ended in the last five minutes than I learned in the last past five months. Yeah, that's a first where it felt like it was a real statement by a real person who is part of it.
Speaker 2: That was honest, Like, that's what it felt like. I was having a conversation with Doc privately and he was airing that publicly. All right, scene, would you update the poll results then? For she has his tribute song to the Arizona Diamondbacks that nobody asks.
Speaker 7: For it's very exciting that tribute song. Okay, Dann, we got two poll questions working right now? Okay, all right, who you got? Rangers are Diamondbacks?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 7: Seventy percent of the audience got the Rangers.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: And then are you more happy that the Rangers and Diamondbacks won or the Astros and Phillies lost? That also is seventy percent more excited that the Astros and Phillies lost.
Speaker 1: All right, Todd.
Speaker 2: Todd had some kind of inspiration at two in the morning, and this is based off the Creed song Higher that seems to have a resurgence. I don't know if it ever had a Surgeons, but it's a resurgence. Yeah, nobody ever says you got a surgeons. It's a resurgence. So Todd is Marvin gonna have music? Okay, here we go.
Speaker 13: No Happer, no Schwabber, no bone Verdon got spanked up, the bank te Baxing nle Penant got further than we thought that Theayward d Baxinle Champions. That just doesn't sounds Ugers correct. No Wheeler, no Turner, no marshits over, no timing, the pill eser gone ye boxing Now pennants. How did zone may kid here? D baxin le champions the desert on expected cheer, Just face it empty bats from the fields. Will at least your eagles can fly? Dee Backs just won the bands?
Speaker 1: Who they're after?
Speaker 13: Rangers on Friday Nights? T Baxer, No champions, while those snakes.
Speaker 11: Sure have some bites.
Speaker 13: No Dodgers, no Parlies, no Breves, no.
Speaker 3: Astros, no O's.
Speaker 1: Rays or Jays, Maxic.
Speaker 13: New champions, Babby over five hundred?
Speaker 1: Who cares?
Speaker 13: T Boxer now Champions for Classic. No raidings, no shares.
Speaker 1: Alright, that's a lie. Who thank you, Todd.
Speaker 2: I hope Arizona appreciates that final hour on the way Dan in the days and Fritzie, more of your phone calls coming up right after this Dan Patrick's show