Speaker 1: Old Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Executive Dysphonia, a podcast about people who are in executive positions but can't hear well. Right, isn't that what the show we're doing is?
Speaker 3: This is it could happen here executive disorder.
Speaker 2: Oh I guess I have Executive Dysphonia.
Speaker 3: Our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis. That was Robert Evans, also joined by James Stout, with a segment later on by Mia Wong. This episode we are covering the week of March eleventh to March eighteenth.
Speaker 2: And I was wrong about dysphonia. That's just horseness.
Speaker 4: Okay, well yeah, that probably are people in the executive branch who who a horse?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, horse and wearing shoes too big for their feet.
Speaker 3: We have to start by issuing an apology.
Speaker 2: That's right, a serious apology.
Speaker 3: We have both failed you the odd send ourselves as an outlet by neglecting to cover a story the way that it deserves to. Last week we reported on the Buffalo wild wings Espresso proteini, that's right, and promised an in depth report on the drink upon delivery this past weekend, which was National Expresso Martini Day. And there I was Sunday, March fifteenth, on my phone googling to find the closest Buffalo Wild Wings when I discovered that the Espressoproteini was in fact only to be served in five cities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Illinois, Georgia, Texas, and the Sea World location in Orlando, Florida. And I failed myself and you by not traveling specifically to the Sea World location to try the Espresso Proteini, which would have been the correct choice, That would have been the right to deliver the sort of coverage that you expect out of us and deserve. It's going to take a while to win your trust back, and we understand this, and we are we are hoping to be able to demonstrate that to you in the coming in the coming weeks.
Speaker 2: Garrett, this isn't all your fault. You know, I knew years ago that we should have moved the entire production team to the Buffalo Wild Wings at SeaWorld. This was a foreseeable mistake. Yeah, you know, Sophie and I are to blame for this as well. Is all I'm saying, and we apologize then.
Speaker 4: Obviously, as a British person in the sea World location in Orlando, Florida is our spiritual home, so that really should have been at the very center of my bee.
Speaker 2: Just imagine how much more sunburnt you could be every single day we record this podcast, James.
Speaker 4: You could be I'm wearing a red shirt right now for this, but you could probably never tell if I lived in Orlando, Florida, if I was wearing a red shirt or just had extensive sunburns.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, let's go over some small news ite ofs. Meta is shutting down. It's VR Metaverse Worlds.
Speaker 4: On June fifteenth, it.
Speaker 2: Stuck being named Metah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the Horizon. Worlds continued to exist as a mobile phone only application. The metaverse portion is going to be sunseted. Like I said on the fifteenth of June.
Speaker 4: I'll be on there in June fourteenth, thrown up to till midnight. Just it's enjoying my final moments of beauty. Is there a SeaWorld Orlando that I can visit in the Metaverse? I bet there was too soon, James, too soon. In the United District of Illinois, Evanston Mayor, Daniel Biss beat Kat Abagazzali and Laura Fine. This one over thirty five thousand votes. Cat won over thirty one thousand votes and find the APAC back to candidate to got twenty four thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it's a It was a. It was a really impressive first campaign from Kat, who's a friend of the show. We're proud of her and her whole team. And yeah that's politics baby under the next thing, I guess.
Speaker 3: Columbia student Laka Cordella was released from ice custody after over a year in detention after government lawyers declined to appeal a judge's third release order. Her name was one of the four on the list that Marmon Donnie gave to Trump during their last meeting.
Speaker 4: Cuba is facing another blackout amidst its aging infrastructure in a United States enforced blockade on the country. It has been running largely on thermoelectric sola and natural gas sources of electricity as imports from Venezuela have ceased. The United States has threatened to tariff anybody sending oil to Cuba, but on Sunday, Claudia Scheinenbaum, President of Mexico did say that Mexico would continue to send aid to the Caribbean nation. Also checking in on the show shields the Americas, which we mentioned last week, Gustavo Petro, President of Columbia, has responded to what is to be an Ecuadorian bomb falling on Columbia. So we are a couple of weeks into this and Ecuador's already bombed the wrong country. Oh good, not great. It was an area very close to the border. But Petro posted today on egg dot com, the everything website. I'm blighted by the fact that groc thinks it can speak Spanish better than meat. So I'm just going to read whatever this shitty translation is. I suppose it has been confirmed that the bomb in Colombian territory belongs to the Ecuadorian Army. The investigation continues and a diplomatic protest note will be sent. So yeah, that's Ecuador playing with fire there. Yeah, finally PBS is reporting today. Then an offer is on the table from the White House to end the shutdown. I'm just going to read I guess the terms that have been offered by the White House. So the first one would be the expansion in the use of body worn cameras by DHS law enforcement, and they will increase congressional oversight by requiring retention of body worn camera footage. The next one they would limit civil immigration enforcement at certain sensitive locations. They go on to say sensitive locations include places like hospitals and schools, which is current practice. There were other places that were considered sensitive locations previously, not to be churches, right, But that's not a definitive list, and I don't does it mean they will return to the old senstive places doctrine. It's a little unclear. Yeah. They talk again about increasing congressional oversight, particularly by creating mandatory review and compliance reporting from the Spectro General of DHS. They talk about visible officer identification and the administration would require officers to clearly verbalize their agency and identification upon request when engaged official duties. And then finally, they will adhere to existing practices of law and practice of not deporting US citizens. And then they go and say they only detain them of a crime has taken place. Some of these appear like concessions, but they kind of only matter in so much as you trust them. They've always got like even the sensitive places has an exemption for like a terrorist threat, given that, for instance, it was suggested very shortly after Alex Pretty was killed that he was a terrorist attempting to kill offices, etc. Yeah, none of this matters, and like it's still going to be this is we are pleasing ourselves, right, So perhaps we should move on talking of DHS, Let's talk about Friend of the Podcast, Gregory Bovino.
Speaker 2: Oh, Greg, Oh, Greg Gregy b.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been a frequent frequent call zone all across the cool Zone universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, friend of the Pod. But no, nothing Gold can stay you know.
Speaker 4: Nope, and sadly Greg cannot stay at his job. Yeah, it'd be fair.
Speaker 2: Even before Trump took office, he was talking about retiring in like two years, Like he's been talking about that for a while.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's this is not.
Speaker 2: Like super weird, but the timing of it is earlier than he'd previously talked about wanting to do. And I think pretty undeniably connected to you know, him being made the sacrificial bond of the regime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the fact that he he for instance said shortly after Alex Pretty was killed by CBP agents, a Pretty was planning to quote massacre agents. We have seen no evidence that that is true.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: He's currently the chief patrol agent of the El Centro sector. Previously, he was CBP's commander at large of its interior enforcement operations. That he was removed from that job in late January. He gave an exclusive interview to bright Bot News. But have a former Board patrol agent who writes for him, So I'm guessing that's why saying quote, watching these agents out there giving it they're all in some of the most dangerous of environments we have ever faced, was humbling cool. He will be retiring just a few days after his fifty sixth birthday. The agency's mandatory requirement ages fifty seven, and I've seen a lot of places citing that that applies to offices hired after the middle of two thousand and eight, but Vino was hired in nineteen ninety six. But at fifty five, with thirty years of service, he would be eligible for optional retirement under the FERS. He hasn't reached some minimum retirement age, so I think that would impact the amount of retirement he gets.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, Oh yeah, yeah, he usually does, unless they make a special exception. For him or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because previously, right, like previously, border patrol agents were essentially hired. It's like federal employees or civil servants. It was only after two thousand and eight that they're hiring I guess came slow, slightly more in line with people in the armed services, for instance, or police and so like under first you'd have to do the thirty years plus reach the minimum retirement age, versus under the newer system when they have a mandatory retirement of fifty seven. I do feel like this, plus Gnome, plus the stuff that you've mentioned up top Garrison, it suggests that the tides are perhaps turning. Plus this, we've seen Republican sheriffs in Florida opposing mass deportations this week, right, we've seen Republican congress people making public statements about this. We are probably beginning to see the beginning of the end of the right being in lockstep behind mass deportations. I don't think that means with going to see the end of ice raids. I don't think that means we're going to see the end no, of massive detention and of massive deportation. But it's clearly as we are looking towards the midterms, something that some parts of the Republican Party want to distance themselves from.
Speaker 3: And there's movement on this, and it shows that these forces are fluid in can actually be changed through taking like agency, like through through through imparting yourself upon the world. Like what's happened in Minneapolis for those for those weeks to to, you know, months, showed that the world actually can be changed through through mass action.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like like border patrol and ice went to Minneapolis to fight, and it seems like they came off worse, right, Like they were not able to subdue the city in a meaningful way, and it has resulted in most of their leadership being removed. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I wanted to talk a little bit about something that's happened this week that I kind of I felt a deep sense of foreboding reading this article. It's going to sound like this is another piece of kind of Israel Palestine reporting, but it's really not. I mean, that's where this particular story is set. But we're we're talking about something that's going to be an increasing factor in the lives of everyone gathering news and everybody consuming it, which is poly market our gamble on everything happening in the world app that apparently the world needed for some reason. So on Tuesday, March tenth, twenty twenty six, as hostilities continued between Iran and Israel, a ballistic missile got past Israel's defense systems and landed in near the city of bait Chemesh, just outside of Jerusalem. It did not land near anything, but it looks like trees you can see. There is video captured of the explosion and posted by a journalist named Immanuel fabian oh Ye, who wrote with his post, no injuries are reported in our end's latest ballistic missile attack on Israel. The fourth to day one missile struck an open area just outside bite Schemesh, first responders say, and footage shows, and the footage doesn't show a ballistic missile impacting. There is an explosion. This does not look like fragments of a missile that were taken down. You know, based on what I know of ballistic missiles, and based on what people who I know no more than me know about ballistic missiles, this was an intact ballistic missile hitting. It didn't hit a target that was valuable. It didn't hurt anybody as far as we're aware, but it got through the missile shield and a hit in Israeli territory. Normally you would wonder, like, why does this this? I mean, this matters, you know if you're a local reporter, obviously, but why would anyone else care? Well, the day after Manny Fabian posted this video and this brief bit of reporting, he started receiving emails, weird emails, mostly in Hebrew, and like, here's one example from Times of Israel piece that he wrote. Sorry for reaching out without a prior introduction, but I assume we will get to know each other well. I have an urgent request regarding the accuracy of your report on the missile attack on March tenth. I would really appreciate a response if possible. There is an inaccurate report from you about the missile attack on March tenth, and it's causing a chain of errors. If you could reply to me tonight, you would be helping me, many others and of course the state of Israel, and along the way you would gain a good source.
Speaker 4: So that's really weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fuck is going if you're this guy.
Speaker 4: All you did was.
Speaker 2: Post, oh, hey, a rocket hit, but it didn't hit anything, Yeah, like, not a big deal given the state of the war. And he starts getting spammed with a bunch of similar emails like this, And in addition to that, he's got people like on Twitter responding saying like hey, One person responded to one of his posts saying, there are people saying they've received word from you that the missile strike in Baite Schamesh on March tenth was in fact intercepted. Is this true or did no such interaction occur? So people start posting and sharing in other places that oh, I reached out to this guy and he said the missile was actually intercepted and it was just a piece that fell, and he reported it wrong, which is not at all what this guy had reported. So he's really confused. He has like, why are all these people bugging me about this very minor story and why are they spreading disinformation claiming that I debunked my own star when I didn't.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: The obvious reason why is that people that day on Polymarket on March tenth were gambling on when Iran would strike Israel. There were fourteen million dollars wager that there would be a strike on March tenth. The rules of the bet per polymarket stated, this market will resolve to yes if Iran initiates a drone, missile or airstrike on Israel soil on the listed date in Israel time GMT plus two. Otherwise, this market will resolve no. Missiles or drones that are intercepted will not be sufficient for a yes resolution.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's why fourteen million dollars was in the air.
Speaker 3: It's people who had a lot of money on this event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, specifically, And these people don't care if anyone is right. They don't care that a missile was fired. All they care about is whether or not the missile made it through the defense network intact, right, because these were people who I guess had bet against that because they didn't want that to be the case.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: He initially ignores these weird emails, and they start getting more and more aggressive, and people are like, when you're gonna update the article, Daniel, Daniel, update the article. You have to update the article. You know you were wrong. And after the weekend he starts getting messages like you have exactly half an hour to correct your attempted influence, despite the fact that you receive countless inquiries you insist on leaving it this way. If you do not correct this by one am Israel time today March fifteenth, you are bringing upon yourself damage you have never imagined you would suffer.
Speaker 4: That's already easer if I've ever seen one.
Speaker 2: Like there's a bunch of shit like this. Someone said, after you make us lose nine hundred thousand dollars, we will invest no less than that to finish you.
Speaker 3: Like this is insane, Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It's inevitable if you think about how polymarket works, right that once people are putting fortunes on the line around stupid shit, you know, like betting whether or not, oh the missile make it through or not on this That is dumb, right, missiles and stuff that's very serious to a lot of people who live in the region. But betting on it this way is fundamentally stupid. But it's all poly Market's all stupid bets like this, and they are going to increase inly come after people once they realize, hey, maybe I can actually change and get a winning resolution or whatever if I harass the journalist on the ground. There's a vested financial interest in going after people over stuff like this. So this particular story is happening in Israel involves the reporting of an Israeli journalist. This isn't going to stay limited to that conflict or to that region of the world. This is going to be thing that journalists all over the world increasingly deal with. This is an important story and one that I think says some pretty bleak shit about the immediate future of news gathering in this country.
Speaker 4: So that's cool.
Speaker 2: On the upside, Polymarket is about to open a splashy new bar in Washington, DC called the Situation Room, and I found Polymarket made a post on their substack in which they announced this, saying, the world's first bar dedicated to monitoring the situation. Imagine a sports bar, but just for situation monitoring live Xpeeds, flight radar, Bloomberg terminals and Polymarket screens. Grand opening this Friday. Imagine the first response.
Speaker 3: This is every bar in Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: First response is just someone saying, drink your way through World War three, which just also every.
Speaker 4: Bar in Washington, DC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone else says this seems awful, but I guess that perfectly aligns with your company in general.
Speaker 4: Get on that passion.
Speaker 2: Uh cool? Yeah, So I love poly market. It's good that this is what we've turned society into. No notes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll just add this to the list of things that prediction markets will destabilize geopolitically. Yeah great, not just the insider trading problems of people with you know, beforehand knowledge of military strikes or certain world events, but trying to influence the reporting of events to sway polymarket or how she's decision on whether whether the market was correctly fulfilled.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yep, interesting and yeah, foreboding.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so yeah, here's some ads. You build the animals. We're back. Here's some James. You've built the animals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, lucky you. First you want to talk about the Supreme Court, and then I'm going to throw to Garrison to talk about some other court stuff. This is our court segment. The Supreme Court has schedule cases for the TPS. That's a temporary protected status pertaining to Syria and Haiti for April, meaning these statuses will remain in effect, likely until the end of June or July. The justices didn't alter the position of the New York and DC judges, who indefinitely postpone the termination of the TPS. The Trump administration has hustled really hard to get this to the Supreme Court. They first tried to get the Supreme Court to let them remove people while it waited to weigh in on the case, and then they tried to get the Supreme Court to take the case before the second Circuit had a chance to weigh in. This is called thirty or right before judgment. Is how the case got to the Supreme Court. This, I should note it's different from the Venezuela case where the TPS was terminated because the numbers are much smaller, and therefore it's going to be harder for the US government to show harm. Right, it pertains to thirty forty thousand people, If I had to guess. By contrast, it's very easy for people to show potential harm in Haiti or Syria. Right, just to give an example of Syria, that has been violence directed against Alavites, Dru's people and Kurds largely unimpeded by the government since a sad fell last year, and Syria remains on the State Departments do not travel list. Yeah, you had some stuff about prairie Land. Do you want to share in it?
Speaker 3: Yes, let's talk about the prairie Land trial. Yeah, we're going to be doing a more in depth episode next week. The started next week on prairie Land. It's about double the length of today's summary, but I do want to go over some essential information about the trial that concluded last week. So last week, the Trump administration got their first conviction in an antifoot heroism case. On Friday, March thirteenth, eight people were convicted by a federal grand jury on charges of riot, conspiracy to use and carry an explosive, and providing material support to terrorists. One of the defendants was convicted of attempted murder of a police officer, and another person was convicted onto accounts of concealing documents, bringing the total number of federal defendants to nine. This case stemmed from the defense argued was a noise demonstration protest outside of an ice attention facility in prairie Land, Texas, last summer. On the night of July fourth, After protesters through fireworks and vandalized property, DHS personnel called local police for assistance. One officer arrived, drew his handgun and yelled stop at a person in all black clothes who was running away. One of the defendants, named Benjamin Song, then yelled get to the rifles before firing toward the officer with an air of fifteen, hitting him in the neck. A week into the trial, US District Court Judge Mark Pittman ruled at defense attorneys could not argue that the defendants, including the accused shooter, were acting in self defense or the defense of others against unlawful force just because the officer had already drawn and pointed his handgun before Song fired. Prosecutors compared this to Waco. Judge Pittman ruled that the officer drawing and pointing his handgun at a fleeing suspect is not quote unquote excessive as a matter of law because as the officer did not actually use deadly force or shoot first, and he listed three federal precedents for this, let's get into this action and the role of Antifa in the court case. This action was originally planned on the encrypted messaging app Signal and via an in person quote unquote gear check meeting the day before the action. Benjamin Song advertised the action in a larger group chat of dozens of quote unquote trusted individuals. When asked about bringing firearms. During action planning, Song repeatedly stated I'm not going back to prison, I'm not getting arrested. I'm bringing guns unquote. So the trial, Song was characterized as the de facto leader of the Antifa cell or affinity group, but he did not have a close relationship with all fellow defendants. At the gear check meeting on July third, Song proposed to free detainees using quote unquote suppressive fire, but this idea was shot down by others meeting attendees. Some of the defendants attended a daytime protest outside the ice facility earlier that day, on July fourth, after which they reported back to fellow defendants details regarding the facility security prior to the nighttime action. Two defendants were neither in these planning chats nor attended the gear check meeting, but all of defendants that attended the protest carpooled in two vehicles, bringing a total of eleven firearms, body armor, eye facts, and all war black block which were all presented as government evidence exhibits. The government argued that the defendants were members of a quote unquote North Texas and TIFA cell. The indictment describes Antifa as a quote militant enterprise made up of networks of individuals and small groups primarily ascribing to a revolutionary, anarchist or autonomous Marxist ideology which explicitly calls for the overthrow of the United States government, law enforcement authorities, and the system of law on Prosecution argued that this cell was linked through a triple ven diagram of the Socialist Rifle Association, the John Brown Gun Club, and the Emma Goldman Book Club, which is a local Zene Destro group that also put on community events. Prosecution said that this ven diagram converged on quote unquote direct militant action. The government called on David Kyle Sheeter as an expert witness to testify about Antifa. Cheter's a member of the Center for Security Policy, an SPLC designated hate group. Defense tried to object to this witness's expertise, but the judge informed the defense that they missed the deadline for such objections, which would have been in a pre trial motion. Much of this case was spent arguing over whether the defendants were quote unquote antifa, what that even means, and if it's relevant to the charges. According to Prairie Land, support Committee court notes. Judge Pittman asked the prosecution, quote is it necessary to prove this stuff about Antifa? The prosecution responded that Antifa ideology, particularly black Block, was how the group operated. The judge pressed, whether it's Antifa or the Methodist Women's Auxiliary, why does it matter? The prosecution argued they took direct action against the ice facility. The prosecution argued black Block and Antifa ideology were central to how the alleged attack was carried out.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 3: The government described black Block for the purposes of this case as quote dark clothing with head and face coverings that concealed their identities, designed to hide each individual's identity, but also aid in a bet those members engaged in illegal acts by making members indistinguishable from one another to law enforcement. Now, all of this raises the question whether this prosecution is against the defendant's political ideology or the specific criminal acts of throwing fireworks or shooting at a police officer, rather than being convicted of being members of Antifa the terrorist group, something that still doesn't really have legal precedent. Prosecutors argued that the Antifa ideology, left wing anti authoritarianism, played a role in inspiring defendants formed the basis of political affinity that brought the collection of individuals together and relates to a collection of security practices, subcultural practices, and associated tactics which were employed before, during, and after the criminal acts related to the Noise Demo protest. There's been a lot of reporting on people being convicted for possessing zines. These are short political pamphlets, usually with some kind of radical political ideology. There's a lot of anarchist zines out there now. Zines did play a role in this trial, a two part role. Prosecution argued that the presence of insurrectionary zines is indicative of an alignment with Antifa, even if possession of these zines itself is not a crime. The other relevancy of zines to this case relates to the concealing documents charges against Daniel Ronaldo Sanchez Estrada and his wife Marcela Roeda, based on transporting a box of political zines from his wife's house to a friend's house in dent In, Texas. The government claimed that Rieda called Sanchez Estrada from jail on July sixth, instructing him to conceal evidence by telling her husband to tow her vehicle, which was at the action staging site. Quote toe it. My phone is in the back. Do what you got to do. Just toe it unquote. The defense claimed that she was worried about her car being repoed Centre's Estrada never got to the car or the phone, but Raeda also said, quote move whatever you need to move in the house unquote. Sanchacestrada mentioned already being at the house and replied, we're good quote unquote, in reference to moving stuff from the house. Prosecution argued this meant moving evidence. Defense noted that Raeda was talking about her pets at the time. According to support committee notes, Sanchizstrada and his wife, Rida were found guilty of conspiracy to conceal documents and other objects that would implicate Reeda in the riot and shooting at the Prairie Land Facility. Now Nine of the counts, count one, two, four, and five through ten cited Pinkerton versus. United States, nineteen forty six. The judge explained to the jury that a defendant can be criminally liable for the offenses committed by a another co conspirator if the offense was quote reasonably foreseeable and committed in furtherance of the conspiracy unquote. From very early on in the trial, prosecution argued that song firing on the officers was quote unquote reasonably foreseeable based on the planning of the protest and previous statements made by Song. The jury found all defendants charged guilty of counts one, two, three, and four that's riot, material support, terrorists, and explosive charges, but did not find other defendants besides Song, guilty of attempted murder or discharging a firearm using this Pinkerton co conspirator liability. Lastly, let's discuss two charges which now could carry worrying potential to be used against protesters in the future based on this case's precedent. First conspiracy to use and carry an explosive and using and carrying an explosive during a riot. The only explosives used were fireworks, and even the judge confirmed in this case that it was established that the fireworks caused no damage to the ice facility. Yet Stephen Brenneman and ats explosives a special agent testified that fireworks still meet the statutory definition of explosives under eighteen USC. Section eight four four IJ because they contain gunpowder as defined in the statute. Me and Robert have been to and reported on a fourth of July protest also in front of a government building back in twenty twenty, where people launched a lot of fireworks up at that federal courthouse.
Speaker 2: A lot of fireworks and other places.
Speaker 3: And this was a very similar event with the launching of fireworks at federal property, which now under this president could be charged as a crime. Finally, let's talk about providing material support to terrorists. That's eighteen Usc. Two three three nine. This statute has two sections. One relates to material support provided to a designated foreign terrorist organization. This is not what the defendants were charged under. They're not saying that Antifa qualifies as one of these designated foreign terrorist organizations. That's not what's being argued here. The defendants were charged under Section A, alleging they provided and attempted to provide material support and resources including property that can be money, services, training, communications, equipment like walkie talkies, weapons, explosives, personnel including themselves, and transportation, knowing and intending that they were to be used in preparation for and in carrying out an offence identified as a federal crime of terrorism or in carrying out the concealment of an escape from set offense. The statute lists at least twenty eight possible terrorism offenses. Relevant to this case are three eighteen Usc. Eight four to four f It's maliciously attempting to damage government property by means of fire or an explosive fireworks count eighteen Usc. One three sixty one, willful depredation against any property of the United States exceeding one thousand dollars. This is property damaged by other means exceeding that one thousand dollars threshold, and eighteen Usc. One one four killing or attempting to kill any officer or employee of the United States. The government accused the defendants of providing material support to terrorists in these three different ways, but to convict, the jury only had to decide there was proof beyond reasonable doubt on one of these ways. They didn't need all three.
Speaker 4: To quote.
Speaker 3: The jury instructions quote if a defendant's speech, expression, or associations were made with intent to knowingly provide material support or resources to be used to prepare for or carry out a violation of federal law. Or to carry out the concealment of an escape from such violation, then the First Amendment would not provide a defense to that conduct unquote. Benjamin's song now faces a minimum penalty of twenty years and a maximum of life imprisonment. Other defendants at Prairie Land to face sentences ranging from a minimum of ten years to up to sixty years in federal prison, and the husband convicted of concealing documents faces up to forty years in federal prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a very bleak case and I don't really have much to add. It's very sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, and it's worth understanding the specific way they're using this material support statute. Yeah, just establishing someone is a member of quote unquote Antifa is not really what they're going after. But they're using Antifa as this way to link the defendants through this ideological unity to show that there's a conspiracy, some kind of like political conspiracy then could tied to offenses that are terrorism, like damaging government property with the intent to influence or intimidate government policy. Right, That's that's the sort of framing that was used in the guilty Please for some other former defendants of this case, and that's what the government is trying to argue. Here. We're gonna go on a break and return for one final segment touching on the economy and.
Speaker 5: Iran as Brocky jazz Bod sarryl as Locking jaz Bond.
Speaker 7: Let's check in with the Strait of Frameuse, where things are going extremely poorly for the US, Israel and every country in the world that relies on oil and liquefied natural gas, as well as helium fertilizer and a whole bunch of other exports. All attempts to actually open the strait have failed. Now, Iran has still been shipping a decent amount of oil out to some extent, They've been able to send their own tankers through and the US and Israel have not attacked them thus far. Now there has been some developments in terms of attempts to open the strait. Israel claimed they would help reopened the strait. We also got a report in Reuters that Britain, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Japan have agreed to help open the strait. This is a kind of weird group of countries. It is the G seven, which is the good group of seven, which is a very sort of influential group of American allies. But it's the G seven minus Canada with the Netherlands in its place, which is sort of odd. Now, this is not going to do anything to actually open the straits. There are two reasons for this. One is that none of these countries have actually committed to do anything other than quote, to contribute to appropriate efforts to ensure safe passage through the Strait and start quote preparatory planning, which means absolutely nothing. And the second reason is that if all of these countries, you know, put every single naval asset at the disposal for some reason, to put all of them in the street and four news, it wouldn't do anything to actually open the strait. There's a good piece and defector about this called Trump to World, Please help Me unshoot my own leg off, where the author Albert Burneco points out, and I think this is a very useful way of understanding the problem here that these oil tankers are the size of skyscrapers. They're not getting oil takers do the straight as long as a Runlet's do this. Every week I say this, and every week a bunch of people go, oh, they're gonna open the straight ooh do do do?
Speaker 4: There's all these pre cycles, and.
Speaker 7: Like the stock market, oil prices go down and the stock market goes up, and then everyone collectively realizes it's not true, and then the herd animals go back to raising the stock prices. So this leaves us in the same situation we were before, except everything has gotten significantly worse because on Wednesday, Israel hit the largest natural gas field in the world when they attacked Iran's South Pars gas field. Now, as political points out, these are the fields that fueled Iran's domestic energy grate, which means any hit to them is extremely painful because it means that people lose like heat and power. Now, Trump did very quickly make an extremely funny post that is sadly too long to read here begging Iron not to attack Cotter or saying the US didn't know anything about it and that Cotter didn't have anything to do with the strike. There's been a bunch of contradictory information. Netanyahu has claimed publicly now that the US didn't know anything about the strike in Israel unilaterally. There's also been reports that the US knew it was going to happen this whole The US didn't know anything about it. Please don't hit Cotter. Seems to be a kind of pr strategy on their part. It didn't work. Iran ignored it and retaliated on Thursday by hitting Cotter's massive liquid natural gas processing facility. This is one of the largest facilities in the world for liquid natural gas, of which Catter is one of the world's largest suppliers. I think they're the second largest of liquid natural gas. I'm going to read this from Brouiters because this is what the straight laced analysts are saying now. Quote, we are now well on the road to the doomsday gas crisis scenario, said Saul Kavona, can energy analyst at MST Financial. Even once the war ends, the disruption to liquid natural gas supply could last for months or even years. Raiders got some statements from Catter's State natural gas firm saying that they had lost seventeen percent of their total export capacity and that was destroyed for three to five years. That is catastrophic for significant parts of the economy worldwide. As we are going to talk about in a second, all of this is also happening in the context of Trump's threats to destroy carg Islands, which is where ninety percent of Iran's oil imports flow through, which would likewise be absolutely catastrophic for the Iranian economy because it would take a significant amount of time to repair. However, Comma, these are all kind of empty threats. Well, when I say empty threats, I don't mean that the US or Israel won't do it. I mean that it doesn't solve the problem. Because the problem with any threat you can make against Iran is like you already killed the Iyatola, Like what else are you going to do? Right, you can completely destroy Iran's economic capacity for a significant period of time. But if you do that, then the Iranian government is still just going to not open the strait. Right, the more you attack them, the more incentive they have to continue to retaliate. And that's what's going to happen if you continue this campaign, which it seems like the US and Israel are determined to do. They're just holding all this talk about like revenger to do phase of the war, and the war is going to now last like several months longer. And again, the problem here is that the more that you attack critical infrastructure inside Iran, the more that the Runian government gives less of a shit about again destroying significant portions of the world's natural gas supply, or hitting more oil facilities or you know, and this is the one that I really haven't seen any talk about, but is a thing that Iran could do if they decided that, you know, this is like the end for our people. Is starting to hit desalinization plants in places like the UAE and Cotter, which are i mean, infrastructure that will make the countries uninhabitable. And right now there haven't been any attacks on them because that's a really hideous thing to do, and it's also the sort of absolutely last resort. But it's a thing that like, you know, if you keep hitting them, they're going to keep hitting more and more targets that are going to significantly impact the lives of everyone in the region and around the world. Now, now on the sort of economics end, we've been kind of in this little bouncing up and down Stace's lock, A little bit of this has been broken because of again we're now seeing instead of just the already very very bad damage of nothing can get through the strait, we're now starting to see permanent damage to oil infrastructure right, and by the way, it's as as are worth noting Royer's reports that the estimated damage I think both from revenue lost and from to actually repair the facility that Carter state run gas company is talking about. They're talking about twenty billion dollars of damage. This has finally caused a sort of tank in the Asian markets, which are down around three percent in a lot of places. We're seeing like somewhere between two to three percent for things like the DK in Japan. We're seeing like one percent down in Shanghai. And you know this is because a lot of these countries, particularly in Asia, use a large quantity of not just oil but also natural gas from the Gulf, which means that these are the countries that are on the front lines of this crisis. Now, the Brent Crude Index, which is your sort of basementk for oil prices, is over one hundred dollars. Now it's staying over one hundred dollars. Experts are saying it's only going to increase, which yes, no shit, of course, it's only going to increase. It's just going to be continued to be more tax I have seen some reporting saying that like worst case scenario, we could see it at two hundred dollars. Two hundred dollars is like a nightmare, like the nine dollars gasoline, unbelievable, hideous nightmare. I'm not going to weigh in on whether we're going to get to that point before Trump like bails out of this war, but it's going to continue to go up as both the actual global oil supply is reduced and also as the capacity for a rebound once if this war ends, is decreased by the continued destruction of oil infrastructure. So all in all, things continue to be extremely bad, and the outlook for the global economy is very bad. The outlook for the people of Iran is very bad. The outlook for people across the world is not good.
Speaker 4: Thank you, miya. And for a final segment, I'm going to talk about the ongoing war against the rhyme, Yeah, which I guess we're still deciding if it's a war or not. Earlier this week, Donald Trump denied the existence of uncrewed surface vessels, something Garrison and I talked about in the podcast that came out earlier this week. I'm just going to pay you the clip, so.
Speaker 6: They put out phone and cornies during the Kamakazie boats. The Karma Kazie boats don't exist. They're fake and you can almost see that when you look at them. Look say yeah, because if they did exist, we'd hit them just like we hit other boats all over the place. But they don't exist. In fact, some of the people say, where are the boats? Well, how come nobody's see the bots?
Speaker 4: You know why?
Speaker 6: Because it's AI generated, it's naked I found just before they've we started. But Narana is known for a lot of fake news, and they deal with our fake news. And I actually think it's pretty criminal because our media companies, who have no credibility whatsoever, are putting out information that they know is false.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So uncrewed surface vessels.
Speaker 2: Are real, Yes, they sure are. They've been used massively in Ukraine among other places.
Speaker 4: Yeah. In fact, Robert, would you like to hear about Saint Coom Commander Admiral Brad Cooper talking about uncrewed surface vessels.
Speaker 2: I will always listen to someone named Brad James. You know that about me?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Here you see a photo from March first of a naval drone storage facility located near the Strait of Hoar.
Speaker 4: Moves so as you can see naval drones uncrewed surface vessels. This is going to be an issue in this conflict and many others going forward. People are going to do any reality that they don't want to engage with by saying that it is ai Yep and that's deeply troubling. So let's talk about what has been happening since we last spoke Hag Island and only did the Persian Gulf that is replete with oil infrastructure and storage facilities. It's the island through a large amount of Iran's oil exports travel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a basically, so the most of the coast of Iran is too shallow for the huge vessels that are necessary to actually move crude oil and carg Island is like a very rare deep water port basically, so it's kind of the hub.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was struck by the United States last weekend of raid. The plane that the raid only hit oil infrastructure on Kig Island. It's very hard to get any independent information from Iran currently because of blackouts, because of the lack of connectivity, and because of regime oppression. Right so we just it's quite possible that what the US is saying is not true. It's also quite possible what the Iranian state is saying it is not true. We can confirm that there were strikes there using all kinds of information by satellite imagery, open source flight threatening, et cetera, that strikes definitely happened. Strikes this week by the IDF also killed Ali Larijani and Bassige Unit commader Hola Moreza Solemoni. Shortly after these claims first surfaced, a note was published in Lara Johanni's handwriting. But it is fairly certain now that he is dead. Larijani's assassination, I guess, or killing, whatever you wanna call it by the IDF is notable because he's one of the people who would have had the sway in the regime to negotiate with the United States. You could make a case that the IDF killing him is a way for a negotiated piece to be even harder, right, for this conflict to continue even more. He is also a person who is responsible for massive crimes against the citizens of Iran, right including the violent, murderous clampdown on protests that we saw in January of this year, the United States is also deploying the thirty first Marine Expeditionary Unit to the Middle East as part of an amphibious response group that includes the USS Tripoly. In fact, it's approximately twenty five hundred marines who will be deployed. This is the closest we've seen twenty official communication of United States boots on the ground in the region. There's a number of things that a marine expeditionary unit could do. One of them is to do search and rescue or provide evacuations for people on vessels in the Strait of hornm Mooes that are struck right. Another of them is to assault or take islands where Iran may have based its military infrastructure, so to do things that are either not possible or not easy with air strikes. Another one is to add more air power that's closer to the region that the Tripoli can carry their thirty five lightnings. So it could be that. Another one is for these two thy five hundred marines to invade Iran, right and to begin a land war to attempt to They could also be training Iranian opposition groups right that that's possible, It wouldn't it's not like a core Marine Corps mission, but there's a special Forces mission. But there's a number of things it could be doing. There are also a number of more Marine expeditionary units and other forces that could be moved to the region. It's interesting to see this just a few months after we saw that National Security strategy which focused heavily on the Western hemisphere. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, right, the US isn't going to involve its OLM Forever Wars in the release anymore.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shocking.
Speaker 3: What's the status of these marines right now?
Speaker 4: I believe they are motoring who the region? Right? So Triple is a big boat. It's called an amphibious assault boat, but that makes it sound like it's like a Higgins boat. Yeah yeah, if this is not the boat that you see in the DDA movement, okay, in fact, I don't think it can actually have this particular one if I understand correctly, doesn't carry those kinds of boats, Like it's not set up for doing like a beach landing on Amphoebisssault. But these Marine Expeditionary units are like the like the first response, I guess like they have their own air power. They have helicopters. Yeah, obviously they come on a boat. They can move quite quickly. They have the marine, so a caople of doing infantry stuff. So like it makes sense that this would be what they would send. Talking of US forces in the region, a US case, one pint thirty five aircraft crashed over Rock last week. This is not a combat aircraft, right, it's not a fighter bomber. But to my knowledge, the only way out of these planes is bailing. All six crew members on border confirmed to have died. The United States SAT cons As has flown over six thousand sorties since OEF began.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, a's Operation Epic Fury.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great because Operation During Freedom had the same acronym, and I'm sure that's not a mistake. But yeah, this is Operation Epic Fury. It's a very high tempo, right, and it's a very crowded air space. The six thousand sorties, yeap, Yeah, that's a lot. Yeah, accidents like this will happen, right, Not everybody who dies in warfare dies in combat. And thirdly, this means that another six people are coming home from Iraq and coffins as they have been since before. Many of our listeners who were born and of course a lot of people in Iraq who have no quarrel with anyone that will also be innocent victims of this. It's I don't mean by any means to suggest it's only US service people who are the victims. Here I want to talk about the conflict between the United States and Hushda Chaby. The US has carried out ace series of air strikes against PMF groups, so these are popular mobilization forces for its Shia groups in Iran for the Islamic State. A strike on a house in Baghdad killed the leader of Katib Hasbola in a rug. The strike was confirmed on Sabrine News. Sabrine News is like their telegram outlet. It's like an aligned telegram news outlet for the group Yeah for the PMF, and they made the statement quote we announced you the martyrdom of hajj Abu Ali al Asgari. In the days since he's killing, we have seen many attacks on United States facilities in Iraq. The embassy's SRAM. SRAM is counter rocket artillery and mortar. When you see videos of drones being shot down, when you see like a you hear like a run and then you see a burst of like tracer fire and the drone explodes. It's normally the cram, so the embassy cram and is destroyed drone. But other footage posted online shows an FPV drone that's the first person viewdrone FPV drone. It looks like you're flying as opposed to let you're looking directly down, flying over the embassy compound for almost two minutes. I'm guessing it was a fiber optic controlled drone, right, so there's no means of like jamming the signal, but this is still a monumental failure for security. Right At the same time, we saw two drones at least enter and explode in the Victory Base, which is near Baghdad Airport. The videos from those are bizarre. It seems that the drone gets into the base and then it's just like WHOA, what the hell. It didn't seem like they had a clear target. It kind of flies around it like seems so shocked that it was able to penetrate this supposedly impenetrable area.
Speaker 3: How much of these security systems are designed to counter drones versus originally designed to counter older types of like aerial threats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, drones is a broad category, I guess. So you have like yoshahed drone, which kind of blurs the line between a drone and a missile, right, it's like a missile that can take a more varied flight path. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't just don't go in the arc like ballistically. In those cases, there are things that there are things that you can do to shoot them down. Right, you can have your Patriot missiles, you can use of see RAM, you can shoot them down with various weapon systems on an aircraft. But if we group FPV and like drop A drones as commercial off the shelf drones, this is the thing, right, you know, the United States has been supporting Ukraine since twenty one, since before twenty twenty two, but it's including since twenty twenty two with the false scale evasion. It has not been supporting the revolution in Memmar. But clearly they have not learned enough from those two conflicts, right in terms of the use of these small commercial off the shelf drones, and this is now showing up as a weakness in their defense strategy. Like this is a serious thing for the US government. For someone to be and for them to just fly a recondrone over the embassy, like you know, obviously they now know where everything is, and for them to publish that footage it is like a public somewhat like humiliation, right, the sort of security infrastructure. So finally, I guess a couple more things. Iran is now militarizing the area of Kurdistan between the Iranian and Iraqi states. So that's the Iran Iraq border in Kurdistan. Right. It seems to have issued orders preventing people moving around the region as they habitually would people move around because they've always moved around. People move around with their animals, right. The Iranian government appears to have ordered its troops to shoot people who perceived to be moving around without permission. People often get near the border with a ruck to access cell signal, and the government forces appear to have left their bases in the region in favor of occupying the mountains as what as local educational institutions of sports facilities. Right, So that means that people in towns are now its threat. And Hengar has some incidents where people have been shot by security forces in the region. Finally, then I want to talk about the resignation of the director of the National Countess Terrorism Center, Joe Kent. Kent resigned this week, saying quote, Iran posed no imminent threat to our nation. It does seem that that is where a lot of people stopped reading anything. Kent said, Yeah, are people who did not know who Joe Kent is, right and don't have access to Google for reasons that I don't understand. Yeah, yeah, some really incredibly shitty reporting on this. Kent went on in his note to among other things, talk about the death of his wife, which is genuinely tragic. Kent has some disgusting views, right, like, but it does seem like the death of his wife was kind of a I guess a turning point. Is that fair to say? Gair, Like, you've looked at Kent a lot, like in his politics. He talks about it a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's very load bearing for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's just with people aren't aware. His wife, Shannon, was a cryptologist and linguist attacked to the ISA Intelligence Support activity sometimes called Task Force Orange. She was in Mambij in Syria when she was killed by in Islamic State suicide bomber she was in the buffer zone, like that that was like the buffer then that Turkey had forced to exist. He calls that in his resignation to statement quote a war manufactured by Israel, and he also seems to suggest that Trump was conned by Israel into starting the war with it ran far too much reporting has missed this context, So he's essentially using what on the face of it as an anti submit like saying.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, he he like is he is he is like an anti Semitic fascist.
Speaker 4: Yes, his reason for retiring is like explicitly anti Semitic.
Speaker 3: This like yeah, this is the same justification that someone like Nick Quentes uses to oppose the war in Iran. Not out of you know, principled solidarity. These people don't care about civilians dying in Iran. No, And it's not actually about any sort of like notion of anti imperialism.
Speaker 4: No, it's anti Semitism.
Speaker 3: They believe that this is a Zionist occupied government. Yeah, in the zog meaning of the term, like there's like literally literally like a total Jewish control over all state operations. Not linked to actual lobbying groups that lobby for Israel within the United States, but conspiratorial framework invoking anti Semitic tropes and stereotypes. This is the sort of an army that Joe Kent comes out of. As we are recording this, Joe Kent has an interview dropping with Tucker Carlson, Yes, where he's going to expound on this. Carlson has similarly voiced these sorts of objections based on if any intelligent person you know, reads into it based on anti semitism, not actually based on again principal solidarity with oppressed people's or anti imperialism.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think if you're reading new sources of like, oh wow, Trump is beginning to lose people, and they have I mentioned any of this, really consider if you want to be reading those news sources. I'll just say that, I guess. Caroline Levitt responded with a post on X saying, quote, the commander in chief determines what does and does not constitute a threat because he is the only one constitutionally empowered to do so, and because the American people went to the ballot box and it trusted him and him alone to make such final judgments. That is a remarkable statement for those of us who lived through the whole Iraq has wnd's era.
Speaker 3: But the United States has long history of involvement in the Middle East. And yes, the extent to which we are partnering with Israel is often in support of our other objectives in the Middle East and our ability to use Israel as like a proxy state. That's why the United States government has such a large interest in Israel. Is we have other reasons for wanting to be active and control parts of the region or influence the region.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Often the priorities of Israel not always right, like in the first time the United States invaded the Persian Gulf. That often they are fighting alongside each other because they have similar interest not because of any nefarious Jewish conspiracy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, which very frustrating that it continues to be something that needs to be reiterated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even on the left, but it does.
Speaker 2: And the first time I started seeing people who had previously been doing other campus to shit start using the phrase zog, I was like, Okay, we've come, We've come full circle. Everything's where it was always going to be beautiful.
Speaker 3: The normalization of zog and like goy across parts of the online left.
Speaker 2: Is from Anarchisparian of the New Turks, the Young Turks whatever the fuck the ty t they.
Speaker 3: Call them the youngs has fallen.
Speaker 4: Yeah well let yeah, let let's be honest, choosing that name didn't predispose them to the anti genocide.
Speaker 2: She has always been like that, she's sucked for a while. But just seeing her use the freight the word GOI like that was like.
Speaker 4: Whoa, wow, Yeah I haven't seen that, Okay.
Speaker 2: I used to have to go to Telegram to see people boasting shit like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that's sort of shit you would hear like ham Radio, like it's just like old school racism.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, there is. There is this interesting emergence of like a red brown alliance specifically targeting like Israel or people's notions of Israel's global influence.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, no, great, no great stuff at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we should just say, since this is gonna be one of the big news stories this week and coming into next week, The New York Times has published a in article with very extensive sourcing, including from people very close to Cesser Chavez, who reported that he sexually assaulted, raped, molested an abused mix of girls and women, including a lot of girls preteen girls started grooming them as young as eight or nine. In some cases, there's evidence of molestation of girls as young as like twelve thirteen. And then Delor Swerta, who was his very famously one of his organizing partners for quite a long time, came out and said that he sexually assaulted her on raped her on at least two occasions, which led to pregnancies. So that is all coming out now, and it's all pretty horrific. But yeah, I like, there's not much more to say. You can read the article, yeah and should.
Speaker 4: Yeah, will link to finish shirt. If you'd like to email us, you can send a message to cool Zone Tips proton dot me.
Speaker 3: That's for tips, that's for news gathering tips.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is for It is not for you to pitch your boss to come on Roberts podcast. It is not for you to tell us about your new book. It is not for you to share how much you enjoy a podcast. So that's very sweet. If you want to send that kind of stuff, you can do it to cool Zone mediaiheartmedia dot com. If you, as a public relations company, send a large number of emails to our tips list, I will block you.
Speaker 2: I will find you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm believe me, buddy. We're gonna if people keep trying this ship, we're gonna have a list and we're going to read that at the end of everybody, and I will give them your email address.
Speaker 2: I will do anti advertising. I will accuse your boss that you want to go on my podcast of various crimes. And thanks to my understanding of libel laws in the United States, I should be fine. Yeah, where's that slander? I always yeah, We'll I'll do both. It'll be fine.
Speaker 4: Yah, right it, We'll say it, we'll post it.
Speaker 3: We reported the news.
Speaker 4: M we reported the news.
Speaker 1: It could happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources where it could happen here listened directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.