Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's got to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to itapen here. This may be my final episode on Latin American onechism. That is, we've called Peru, Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, the many countries of Central America, the former countries of Grand Colombia, and the Spaanifoon Islands the Caribbean. Now we'll finally get into the big one, Mexico. And I say we because I'm here with Garrison Davis.
Speaker 4: Hello, is this has been it's got to be like a year long series now right.
Speaker 3: At this point, and yeah, it's going to go around for some time with breaks in between and everything.
Speaker 4: I'm very very excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to introduce myself real quick, I'm Andrew Sage. You can find me on YouTube, but androism and we should have check out the show notes for all the references, including a health capalities anarchism in Latin America, which was an indispensable resource for the entirety of this project. Without further Ado faminos, we have a lot to cover. Mexico is a massive and storied country, so I can only really give you a gist of its pre colonial and colonial history. For the necessary context, we have to start thousands of years before the name Mexico or Mexico even existed. Of course, according to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the land we now call Mexico is home to some of the world's most unique ancient civilizations whose came the Olmechs, often called the mother culture of meso America, known for their colossal stoneheads and influence on later cultures there with their dazzlin cities, mathematics and calendars, and eventually the Aztecs, who built the Grand Empire, settled onto nor Stitland, which is now Mexico City. Unfortunately, we can't spend much time on this rich history. We must progress to the time of European contact. In fifteen nineteen, everything changed. Spanish Conquistra and nan Cortez arrived, and within just two years the mighty Aztec Empire fell disease. Alliances with native enemies of the Aztecs, technological advantages and brutal warfare aided the Spaniards overthrowing a civilization of millions. What followed was three centuries of colonial rule under New Spain, marked by extraction, Catholic conversion, and the mixing, often violently, of indigenous European and African peoples. By the early eighteen hundreds, the winds of independence were finally blowing. A Catholic priest named Miguel Hidalgo sparked the fight with a cry for freedom in eighteen ten. Specifically, he sought the end of rule by Spanish peninsulars, which are the people who came from Spain and ruled over Mexico. He called for the equality of races, and he called for the redistribution of land. As a hill capbility put it in anarchism in Latin miracle, hid Illgo proposed to abolish, even if by gentle and gradual means, what he called, in almost Prudonian terms, the horrible right of territorial property, perpetual hereditary and exclusive. This whole land topic is going to come up a lot in the history. By the way, you may be familiar with the phrase land and freedom, the aira liberdad that comes from Mexico. Anyway. It took more than a decade of war, but by eighteen twenty one Mexico had finally broken free from Spain. Freedom, though didn't mean stability. The nineteenth century saw emperors come and go, because there was actually a time when Mexico as a monarchy, Foreign invasions by the United States via the Manifest Destiny and Napoleon's France via monarchical Latin League, and internal power struggles. The Zapatec president Benito Juarez, who from eighteen sixty four to eighteen sixty seven had resisted foreign occupation by Napoleon's emperor Maximilian and fought for constitutional reform, sought to stabilize, secularize, and modernize the country. In the mid eighteen hundreds, figures like Quarez led a sweeping movement against the old powers of Mexico, the Catholic Church and the military, which had long dominated both land and politics. To the layers de reformer. They seized church property, secularized education and promised a new era of rights and equality. But there was a catch, because to weaken the Church, the liberals sold off its land, not to the peasants or indigenous communities who had worked on it for generations, but to wealthy buyers, the heroes. The communal lands of indigenous peoples were privatized under this liberal banner freedom and progress. They created a new class of landlords and pushed rural people deeper into poverty. Benito Juarez died, but his legacy lived on with those reforms to cement the separation of church and state, freedom of religion, the prohibition of forced labor, and so on. But following him came the Portfyriato, a thirty year long dictatorship under the mixed tech president Porfyrio Dias, who continued the modernization of the country but also deepened its long standing inequalities. Portforio Dias surrounded himself with intellectuals known as the scientificos They were positivists, as in adherents of the positivist school of philosophy, which advocated for rational planning and economic development as a path of social progress. His slogan was ban Opalo, the bread or the stick, and reflected the policy of rewarding compliance with prosperity while punishing dissent with severe consequences. The liberty order and progress equation sacrificed liberty as the Mexican people were expected to trade freedom for the benefits of these policies. Workers ended up facings low wages, long hours, and of course lacked rights, while estate laborers were landless and under the arbitrary rule of Mayo demos, education was largely restricted to elites. In major cities, groups like the Yaqi Indians were forcibly relocated as cheap labor to plantations. Governors, those supposedly elected, were effectively presidential appointees, monitored by Hipe's politicals who intervened the local affairs. The roulatis and elite constabulary maintained order but often disregarded due process, which fostered a whole reign of terror in the rural areas. Diaz's popularity eventually waned as prosperity was monopolized by a small, often foreign elite. This elite emulated European customs, which created a stark divide with the growing protis and middle classes. By the second half of the nineteenth century, Mexico was caught in a contradiction a state that promised emancipation through property rights, while this possessing the very people it claimed to free. The liberal project had failed them, and in its failure space opened for deeper critiques of property power and the state itself. A younger generation began questioning the system, and with this rise in criticism came rising repression, which set the stage for the Mexican Revolution of nineteen ten.
Speaker 4: This whole era of like the turn of the millennia and the start of the twentieth century has like so much of this same stuff happening all over the world. Like that's kind of one of the biggest trends that we've been able to see throughout your Latin American anarchism series is like how how much they all mirror each other, and like how much of like a global movements used to exist, like not like an organized fashion, but like there's like some like other force that is that is like a driving these like global trends of like revoltant revolution. Yeah, and like we see this a lot in like the yeah, like the nineteen ten to nineteen twenty time period. I mean even just in Latin America.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I also think, of course, it's really easy to notice these trends and notice these tides of history and retrospect. You know, when you submerged in it, it's just like, you know, all these conversations and stuff happening, for sure, all these events and stuff happening around you. But when you by looking in the past, you could say, oh wow, this is like a global pattern, you know. So I'm always curious to see like when we look back, I mean, the twenty ten is already over. The narratives around it are still formulated, right, We're still in the midst of the nineteen twenty in the nineteen twenties, the twenty twenties, say, you know, the nowseron it will still be development all now. But we're already halfway through, and I'm sure people have already seen suitent trends that are going to make for some excellent retrospective commentary.
Speaker 4: Definitely. Yeah, Like the past ten years we've seen this like global far right power grab and this like rebirth of right wing populism sweeping a whole bunch of neoliberal democracies, like like post nineties, post War on Terror, post end of history stuff where you see like the full extent of like the Clinton, Reagan Thatcher economics completely completely crumble with far right populism like taking taking over the reins of most popular consciousness. Yeah, to the point where even like the more like liberal parties are being quote unquote forced to adopt like similar rhetoric looking at like like like the Labor Party in the UK and hearing the States, how how much like the Democratic Party last year like completely caved on like far right populist talking points on immigration and stuff.
Speaker 3: Exactly. I think part of it as well is a failure to advance a positive, totally direction and a positive program.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, when we allow the tunes of discourse, the arena of discussion, to be dictated by the right, when we simply react to what they are saying, when we simply respond to their policies and their efforts, you know, we may slow down the progress of their goals, but ultimately, as long as we are engaged in dialogue with their goals, they are storely inching their goals closer and closer to reality.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is certainly the trend that that I've been seeing the past ten years and I'm sure sure many people have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the overturn windows pretty much entirely dictated by what they decide, you know. I think I've mentioned this before. The right to decided they wanted to talk about critical race theory, and then critical race theory became the center of conversation. The right decided they wanted it to target.
Speaker 4: DEI gender ideology.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, and then that becomes the whole thing, is that the center discussion. They are not putting forward the policies that are going to hoot pretty much everybody as the center of their policy. That's more like an a side when they give themselves, you know, salary raises and they cut taxes on the ridge. That's not the center of their political message. Center the polical messages, you know, various culture related issues that they can use s rority their base, but it's nothing that's actually benefiting people, you know. And instead of circumventing that, that effort to dictate the course of conversation, dictate our own conversations instead of what it's kind of following along the tail. But that's a bit outside the scope of of this a bit of a digression here. But before we get to the point of the Mexican Revolution, though, we should really take a look at the slow and steady development of radical ideas in Mexico during the nineteenth century. You see indigenous resistance persisted throughout Mexico's history through often quiet, revolved acts of non cooperation that would steadily ensure that Spain could never fully establish his dominion. Even after independence, the culdnal structure lived on in the hasciendas, the church, and the state, so the indigenous communities would continue to resist, sometimes in profoundly anti authoritarian ways by the nineteenth century. And this history is courtesy and hill capialtes anarchism in Latin America. As I mentioned in eighteen sixty one, a man arrived in Mexico with a very distinct name. He was Platino Constantino Rorocanati. He was a Greek immigrant radicalized by the revolutions in Europe and steeped in the works of Furia, who was a utopian socialist, and Prudon, who was an anarchist fust anarchist. He had fled the counter revolutionary tide crashing over the continent with a mission. Roccanati believed Mexico, with its long standing indigenous traditions of communal landholding and mutual aid was the perfect police to plant the seeds of a new utopian society. And in a lot of ways he was right, you know. He saw in the a Hero system, the indigenous Kuna Lantennire a living echo of the kind of society Utopians in Europe could only dream of. Where the liberally saw backwardness, Rota Kanati saw potential. His aim wasn't to civilize these communities, but to learn from them and help them protect their autoroity from the encroaging state through political philosophy and practice. He seemed to be a very interesting fellow by the way. I mean, he apparently spoke seven languages. He practiced medicine by day and philosophy by night. He was a Christian, but not anything like the Christians that dominated Mexico at the time, because, as anhil Capelt he puts it for him, the essence of Christianity is charity, that is love for all, as it is taught in the Gospels, and that essence is the moral foundation of socialism and revolution as well. Pure Christianity, he wrote, is the religion that will regenerate the world when people finally come to understand the power of its basic principles liberty, equality and fraternity. But it is Christianity without dogma like Saint Simon's, and without priesthood, liturgy or hierarchical organization, the model for which he finds in the life of Jesus and his earliest followers. Primitive Christianity is authentic Christianity, but has been entirely degraded by the Catholic and Protestant churches, and has nothing to do with so many sexs that call themselves Christian end quote. A few months after his arrival in eighteen sixty one, he published a socialist primary in Mexico that marked him as the first anarchist to put forward distinctly anarchist theory in the country. In the mid eighteen sixties, he formed a group called Lass Social the goal of spreading the ideas of mutualism, free association, anti capitalist cooperation through books, pamphlets, and education. Barukannati and his collaborators launched workers schools aimed the promoting literacy, political consciousness, and autonomy. Once at school was the Esquila de Rao idel Socialismo, the School of Lightning and socialism hell. Yet it combined moral instruction with a deep critique of the exploitative labor system. This was, you know, education as a rebellion, not just to read, but to recognize the exploitation and to imagine alternatives. Rudicnati thought of his socialism as the fullest expression of the French revolutionary motto of liberty, equality and fraternity, which no half measure like liberalism could ever reach. He recognized that the immediate objective must be quote, the extinction of poverty, the distribution and increase to the commonwealth, the abolition of prostitution, and the conservation of all our faculties, including the intellectual, physical, and moral ones, for the transformation of humanity through science, beauty and virtue end quote. One of those things was not like the others. I'm surely noticed. There was a standout inclusion there, but it makes sense considering his background. He also saw himself as a cosmopolitan, perhaps owing in part his unique circumstances as a man with a Greek father, Austrian mother, a French education, and Mexican who he said, quote, we are Cosmopolitans by nature, citizens of all nations, and contemporaries to all the Asias, the greatest and most heroic human actions belong equally to all end quote. In other words, our country is the entire world, and all men are brothers. He also wrote that the abolition of all governments in the nations, which frightens you and you consider impossible and absurd they have ever tried it, will usher in a totally new world of institutions, in which the peoples of the world will live in happiness end quote. Brouclati was a pacifist and his approached anarchism, which owed his original introduction of socialism being via Charles Furia, but eventually he came to the stand the need for a class struggle, as he said, quote, a social revolution in which many heroic victims will be sacrificed in the sacred altar to restore the justice denied it to the people end quote. His work attracted young radicals, many of whom would later play key roles in the development of Mexico's labor movement. Before he started Laso Ciel, he'd initiated the first Grupo Destudiante Socialistas, from which came figures such as Santiago Villanueva, who tried to organize the worker's movement Permeneghuillo, Filla, Vicinzio, and Francisco's Alacosta, a leader of rural masses. It's the core of this group that would help him to create Lasocil, which would educate and agitate, but also assist workers beyond mutual aid to an active class struggle posture in defense of the interests against bosses. So basically, he took these mutual aid societies and made sure that they didn't stay mutual aid societies, that they were radicalized into resistance societies. Because those sort of mutual aid associations were very common in Latin America at the time. You know, workers would create these little groups where they would try and support each other. But it's very easy to fall back on that and to assume, you know, that's all you have to do. Making sure that they have a radical posture, a revolutionary posture. It's important to ensure that they're not just rest in your laurels and expecting change to come to you, and indeed, they did not expect the change to come to them. In June eighteen sixty five, these resistant societies supported the first industrial strike in Mexico. Unfortunately, it was crushed by the leader of the country at the time, Emperor Maximilian, but it was his occupation and the economic harshness of it all that fermented the spread of anarchist ideas. Another stud on Talt of Rocannati school came Julio Chavez, a precursor to the more famous Emiliano Zapata and a fervent anarchist communist. He agitated for a peasant rebellion and engage in land expropriations, which grew in popularity wherever he was active, from the Cholco texokore John where he began to all the states of Quibbler and Morella as Coupleleetti recounts quote. The federal army finally moved against him and defeated and imprisoned. He was executed in eighteen sixty nine by order of President Benito Juarez. Before he died, Chavez cried out, long Live Socialism end quote. His manifesto, which was written a few months before he died, would help introduce more masses in the Mexican movement to the idea of class drugl and like a light bulb over one's head, it immediately it clear who was responsible for their suffering. Santiago vil and Weaver and a fellow student to Rocanati named Villa Vicenzio worked arduously to organize the artisans and workers in Mexico City, and they definitely had the cards stacked against them, but they helped to organize an industrial strike in a textile mill in eighteen sixty eight, and in eighteen sixty nine they established a Circulo Peraltario, and in eighteen seventy the Grand Seculio de Obreros de Mexico and in eighteen seventy one the newspaper Al Socialista. This is when the red and black so famously associated with anarchism came into the Mexican workers' movement. The eighteen seventies saw struggles between radical and moderate factions among workers, proletarian presses making a name for themselves, and the first convention of the General Workers Congress of the Mexican Republic in eighteen seventy six with a manifesto that indicated the crown influence of libertarian ideology in Mexico. Of course, there was a tension in that Congress between the socialists and the anarchists, but water is wet. Sadly, Mexico wasn't ready for revolution, or rather the ruling class wasn't. While Roadcinnati and others sold seeds among students and workers, the country was swinging toward reaction. As I mentioned earlier, with the rise of Porfilio Diaz in eighteen seventy six, any space for radical thought began to close. Diaz, the stronglan of Oneization, was obsessed with order and progress. He welcomed foreign capital, built railroads across the nation, and gutted the countryside to make room for exports, and he crushed dissent. While Roccarati avoided outright persecution thanks in partists foreign status and paspest leanings, the educational projects he inspired were dismantled or sidelined. The more confrontational elements of the ole anarchists current went underground. Those who spoke of abolishing property or questioned the Porphylian vision of modernity were met with jail, exile, or worse. Rocnati's allies, Alacosta, through his newspaper Like International, promoted a twelve point socialist agenda. Advocated on universal social republic, municipal autonomy, workers' rights, workers associations, wage abolition, and property equality. Despite Diaz's rise in eighteen seventy seven, he led a present uprising in Sierra Gorda and Planet the Lla Baranca, battling federal forces until eighteen eighty. Despite his defeat and imprisonment in eighteen eighty one, the rebellion persisted. Telacosta's ally, Colonel Albert to Santa Fe, introduced the Lays del Pueblo. Influenced by mcunan's ideas. Though not a purely anarchist manifesto, this document emphasized land distribution, national industry promotion, army suppression, and free education. Stafe argued that true Mexican independence depended on reclaimant stolen lands, a movement which, of course gained traction among the peasants. General Negrete supported Santa Fe's revolutionary efforts, just as he had backed Chavez, Lopez and Sarlacosta earlier. Satafe's resistance against Diaz's dictatorship was more radical than mayor electoral opposition. It aimed at transference sovereignty to local municipalities and land to peasant collectors. However, by the eighteen nineties, Diaz effectively suppressed most worker movements through bribery and repression. While industrial workers and miners fared slightly better than the peasants, wages steadily declined after eighteen ninety eight. Rodocanati left Mexico in eighteen eighty six after giving for two decades of his life to the cause. But it's two decades of so and seeds would eventually flourish in the Mexican Revolution. What will be covering in the next episode. Thanks for tuning in, am Andra Sage. You can follow me on YouTube at Andrewism and patron dot com slash Saint Drew. Thanks again. This is it could happen here. All power to all the people. Please hello and welcome to it could happen here. I'm back with Yeason Davis.
Speaker 2: Hello, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Andress Sage or Andrewism on YouTube now. Previously we explored a lesser known chapter in Mexico's radical history before my Gone Before for the Revolution, when a Greek emigre named Plotino Rocanati arrived in the eighteen sixties, convinced that Mexico's indigenous communal traditions could form the basis for a new anarchist society. Through schools, pamphlets, and mutual aid societies. He helped sow the first seeds of anarchist thought on Mexican soil. Some of his students pushed even further and flirted with many bush and streams of anarchism. Even as Portfilio Diazis regime clamped down and anything that challenges dry for order and progress, Rocanati faded from view and many of his students that associates had to go underground for a time, but the ideas would live on like quiet sparks or waiting for the next revolt, and an actual volt would come in nineteen ten, when the Mexican Revolution erupted. By keeping in mind the contexts here, when we talk about revolutions, the focus tends to be on the flashpoints, the gunfire, the slogans, the major figures, and I will do a lot of focus on so of them figures throughout this history. We have to keep in mind the revolutions have roots that run deep, run deep below the surface. The revolutions are often shaped by decades or centuries of injustice, and Mexico's revolution was no exception because for over three decades for Fibio Diaz ruled Mexico with what was basically a velvet glove over an iron fist. He brought railroads in electrification, but also crave crave costs for the rural poor, the indigenous communities, and the working classes. By nineteen ten, thanks to his efforts, almost all the land in Mexico was in private hands. The rural port and our found themselves as peons and haciendas abot those that fled to the city for themselves, proletarianized, made to work at various industries for long hours, low pay, and little protection. Despite appearance stable and efficient and orderly, the system in Mexico was profoundly unjust, and yet many saw it as a model for progress in a region full of instability, a description that seems eerily familiar to the situation that's currently taking place in El Salvador. Beneath the Polish Venaier, tensions were breren workers were organizing journalists who were risking their lives. Teachers and lawyers, and even wealthy landowners began to murmur about the need for reform, and the countryside, those old communal memories refused to die. Even after the land was taken. The land was remembered by the term twentieth century, Giaz approached his eighties with no successor in sight, and the people were getting fedter, which brings us into the first phase of the Mexican Revolution. According to A. Hill Cappaletti, the author of Anarchism in Latin America and the main source of this episode, Francisco I. Madero wasn't quite a revolutionary in all honesty. He just wanted to tweet the status ko to keep a free market, but banned reelection of presidents came from money. He was an upper class intellectual, a believer in parliamentary democracy and in free markets. He read the Review spirit the religiously. It was a spiritualist journalism, and he believes in a kind of metaphysical liberalism where good governance and good intentions could stare history in the right direction. Madero's party, the Partido Democrata, was formed with a single claire goal, and in Porthio diazis decades long grip on power. But to more radical forces like Coricardo Flores Margonne and the Partido Liberal Mexicano or PLM, Madero's vision was nowhere near enough to get fooled by the name. By the way, the PM had some revolutionary credentials. It started off as a simple anti clerical, anti editatorial party, but perhaps with the influence of North American and Spanish immigrant anarchosynicalists, it eventually took on a libertarian character, guided also in part for the ideological evolution of Malgone himself. It was neither liberal nor truly a party in the end, but rather a truly revolutionary libertarian organization. We'll get back to Macgone's story in Osaka, but the point is where mcgone was calling for social revolution, landry distribution, and worker's control of production. Madero merely wanted electoral reform. He had no real program for agreerian justice and was quote generally indifferent to the problems of the Mexican masses, as Capeletti put it. Still, Madero's nineteen ten campaign electrified all of those who were unit for change, revolutionaries and reformists alike. His challenge Todas helped ignite a broader uprising that managed to bring Madero into power in nineteen eleven. Before we get into what happened during the Madero presidency, let's go back in time to follow Ricardo Flora's Macgone story. Macgon was Born in eighteen seventy three in the village of San Antonio, Iloxo Chi, then in Osaka, his roots straddled both indigenous and Mestizo heritage. As a law students in Mexico City, he found himself swept into the tide of anti government agitation. Before he even toned twenty, he was jailed for the first time. He joined the radical press in eighteen ninety three with El Democrat and anti Diaz people. The regime quickly snuffed out, but he wasn't deterred. In nineteen hundred he co founded Regeneracion, the publication that would become the voice of the Mexican left in the twentieth century. It was while behind bars, where he often found himself, that Macgone encountered the ideas that would shape his life's work. Thanks to the library of liberal landowner Camillo Ariaga, he read the writings of Kropotkin and Malichester, and through those texts crystallized his anarchist vision. Now, even though Magone's ideology incubated quietly in his early political life, it didn't stay buried for law as his conflicts of the diazre intensified. So truly the radicalism of his actions. He edited L Ejo del Aquisote, a satirical rag that earned him yet another stint in prison, and after his release of nineteen oh four, Magroun fled to Texas where he re launched Geracion with renewed purpose. By nineteen oh five, the paper helped spark the creation of the Patido Liberal and the Hicano or PLM, which, as I said, wasn't much of a political party as it was a radical organ though it did have some reformist demands mixed it. They were trying to soften their language at times to appeal to conservative sympathizers of reform. Away from the ADS, the PMS sought the abolition of the military tribunals, free secular education, workers rights at the eight hour workday minimum wage, and the expropriation of idle lands. In short, it went further than nineteen seventeen constitution that would come a decade later. I could be seen as the crystallization of many of the Mexican Revolution's most popular aims. Margon and the PLM established alliances across borders, particularly among the industrial workers of the world, but that put a target on Magone's back. For both Mexican and US authorities. You already know they can't be having solid darity like that. The Pinkertons rolled up, backed in part by Diaz himself, and they were on Magon's tail constantly, even ended up as far north as Canada just trying to escape their constant harassment. But despite the repression, the momentum could not be killed. Between nineteen or six and ninety oh eight, the PLM helped organize a string of strikes and uprisings. The most infamous was the canear Nea copper strike. Mexican miners were paid stop vation wages while their American counterparts earned double for the same work. When the miners struck for fair pay and better conditions, they were met with deadly force. The rebellion that followed so American rangers in Mexican troops massacre more than two hundred people thousands were jailed. Another uprising ignited in Rio Blanco, where textile workers already paid a pittance, organized with the leadership of Jose Nierra, a student of Magon. When negotiations failed and repression ramped up, the workers responded, not with another petition, both insurrection on January seventh, nineteen oh seven, they stormed the mill, freed prisoners, cut wires, and declared open rebellion. The state responded with a bloodbath. Entire families were dragged from their homes and executed. Another one of the uprisings was a peasant revolter, began in nineteen oh six in Akayukan and spread through Tuxtlas, Mine Titlan and Tavasco. It was crushed, of course, in nineteen oh eight and Viscas, though their plans had been leaked to the authorities, revolutionaries had a firefight with police and freed a town jail. Just two days later, in Las Vegas, other students of Magon were fighting for justice. Another set of gorillas of rose in Palomas, but they failed. Yet another insurrection happened in Via the lead Yucatan, and they suffered summary executions. And all those events, all those small revolutionary bands challenging the states, they failed, but they emboldened the dream of a different world with their will to act. Magone was jailed again in nineteen oh seven, but it wasn't over for him yet. And I really don't like to romanticize, you know, this idea of this uprisings, that they feel, but you know, they're still inspiring. We don't want to go too fun to that where you know, your self sacrifice for self sacrifice sake. But I think it's important to point out that there were multiple failed attempts before the successful uprising that ushered in the Mexican Revolution. It wasn't you know, a first time successful attempt, and by the time Malgon was at least from prison in nineteen ten, the revolution had already begun to burn across Mexico, and that is in part in thanks to the efforts of those uprisings. Even though those individual uprisings failed, the Catalan immigrant Amadeo Ferres pumped up this energy in nineteen eleven with El Tipograph for Mexicano, yet another newspaper with a fierce anarcho cynicalist spirit, meant to mobilize urban workers. At the same time, old anarchist typographers were not only printing their message, they were forming unions like the Union de Canteras Mexicanos. In mid nineteen twelve, Juan Francisco Moncaliano arrived from Qure and quickly rallied a diverse group of workers into Grupo LuSE set on establishing a progressive education platform, al Francisco Ferrer. By September nineteen twelve, these unions and Grupo Loos united to form La Cassa Delbrero, forging a distinctly anarcho synicalist identity. The organized lectures built libraries of classic anarchist works and launched a new bi weekly called Lucha, all while energizing a massive May Day rally in nineteen thirteen, where twenty eight thousand workers rallied. Like Margon, these radicals saw through the hollow promises of Madero's democracy. Voting for a new president wouldn't free the peasantry. The legislative seats wouldn't redistribute land. No congress, no matter how liberal, would ever voluntarily dismantle the system that fed it. For them, revolution was no less than put in land and production in the hands of the people. No bosses, no landlords, no masters, just workers organizing life on their own terms. Madero's revolution, if we could even be called that, had mobilized peasants, workers, and radicals. But that moderate phase was about to end because once seated as president, Madero leaned heavily on old elites. He really siphoned energy away from genuine social change. With that reformance to push that he was doing a move that sounds all through familiar, but there was refusals in oct meaningful change lost in his allies very quickly. Figures like Pasqual, Orosco and even Emiliano Zapata, who had initially supported the rebellion against Diaz, became dissillusion sowil Madero governed, the PLM continued its fight now against the emergent new regime in northern Mexico. PLM aligned forces initially rose alongside Madero's, but they did not make common cause with him. When strategic positions and hiwawa were lost with the middle class and Orosco sided with Madero, the Mogonists turned their attention elsewhere. The next target was Baja California. In early nineteen eleven. They began seasoned towns Mexicali, Los Alcodonis, Tecate, and finally Tijouanna, seeking to establish a libertarian society, a model for what they called a free America. But the backlash was swift. American, British and French businesses owned pretty much all of Baja California, landowners and newspaper mogules in California, USA, which were often the same people panicked and ended up smearing the mcgonists as secessionists trying to handle from Mexican land to the US. In truth, as mcgonn wrote in Regeneracion, does Baja California belong to Mexico. It does not, is under the control of foreign capital. Mexicans owned nothing of it. The PLM's campaign was not about taking Mexico apart. It was about reclaiming it from the hands of foreign elites. Nothing less than land and liberty, as Capelletti puts it. Quote. On the contrary, mcgone's goal was nothing other than a classless and stateless libertarian society that will provide the archetype and pointed departure for the Mexican and World revolutionia end quote. The downfall of the Baja California campaign came in the hands of bourgeois Champion Madero, backed to where the US government and capitalists. By mid nineteen eleven, the mcgonists uprising in Maja California had effectively been extinguished, yet the saga didn't end there. On the fourteenth of June and nineteen eleven, magone and three of US associates were arrested, tried in Los Angeles, and mcgone himself was sentenced to McNeil Island Prison in Washington, State of Faith. He endured until nineteen fourteen, which meant that macgone wouldn't be present in Mexico for the death of one of his biggest ops. Since Madero failed to gain the support of radicals or secure the loyalty of reactionaries, the conservative military overthrew and assassinated him in stolen Victoriano Huerta into power in nineteen twoty, and just like that, the so called moderate phase the Mexican Revolution ended in blood. Quiet's dictator ship tried to imact the clock to the Porphyrian Eraqueta ruled with military force and repressure, the usual stuff, persecuting labor organizers, shutting down radical spaces, deporting for an activists, jail and dissenters, murdering people. Crackdowns eventually hit La Cassa de Lobrero's publications and destroyed the anarchist library. But out of this repression emerged a new tactic. They basically said, you know, you could burn our books. That's fine, don't you have to do. We're not going to stop us from spreading our message. They established grassroots orators, the Tribuna Roha, who took the revolutionary message directly to the working classes, given speeches where they were at and sharing the message even without access to literature. By May nineteen fourteen, a new people in Antipascion Obrera was launched. Do it too felt praise the regime's brutality. Thankfully, the regime wouldn't last long because Ptor's power didn't go unchallenged. From the north, Venustiano Carranza and the Constitutionalists rose to oppose him, claiming to defend the Madero's legacy. From the south, Emiliano Zapata refused to EXI accept any government that ignore the demands of landless peasants, and throughout the country armed struggle reignited, which brings us to Emiliano Zapata himself. He was doing his own thing politically, but he was inspired in part for the anarchist supporters and Margon. His ideology was rooted in Nikalpui, the collective land systems of his condigous ancestors. He eventually adopted the slogan Tierra Ileritad and rallied behind the Plan de Ayala, demanding land redistribution and local self governance. He had little tolerance for political maneuverent He saw the false promises of figures like Cuerta and Kranza. For Zapata, revolutionist thought about elections or modernization. It was what given land back. That's really all he cared about. In contrast, as the wariotis Mario, there was Pancho Villa. He was a charismatic northern general and a populist who worked with and against Kranza. As Magon described him, Zapata delivered riches to their true owners, the poor via executes the proletarian who takes a piece of bread end coot. That both were opposed to Carranza. Their goals, strategies, and ethics were far apart. Like I said, mariotas warrior. Queta didn't last long. As I mentioned, he was ousted by nineteen fourteen, so just about a year of being in power and being a violent dictator. And after predator fell, Perustiano Caranza rose to fill the vacuue. Like I said, he claimed to be continuing Madero's legacy, and his vision of Mexico was just as top down. He wasn't exactly fond of anarchists or the radical left in general, but faced with pressure from these appatistas in the south and VI's forces in the north, he courted his lab organizations like Cassa de la Brero Mundial offer gestures of support, a few favorable labor reforms, and even physical space like giving them the Jesuit College Santa Brigida as headquarters. In return, Kranza hoped to build a loyal base of organized workers, integrate them into his constitutional army, and neutralize the more radical strains of revolution. And I'm sorry to say that it partially worked. He was able to buy off some of these workers. While this alliance gave La Casa de Lobrero's space to organize workers throughout the country and ramp up educational and prostatizing efforts, much like what would take place in Spain years later, the anarchists began to lose their anarchist roots from the collaboration. Instead of back in the battle. In February nineteen fifteen, Lacassa signed a pact with the Constitutionalist forces and created quote unquote Red battalions within Kranza's army. But although Lacassa expanded its influence and managed amount strikes among miners, teachers, drivers, bakers, oil workers, textile workers, carpenters, button makers, and barbers in nineteen fifteen, in response to the economic pressures of inflation and unemployment. By early nineteen sixteen, their government allies were cracking down on them. Not long after hiring the Red Battalions. They fired the Red Battalion, so they shut down La CASA's offices. They sent key figures to jail. In response, the worker's movement held a national congress in Veracruz, and out of this emerged a new labor federation built on anarchist syniclust principles, committed not to capturing power but to dismantle it, the Confederacion del Trabajo de Larion and Hicana. In May nineteen sixteen, a general strike erupted in protest of the imprisonment of La Caassa's leadership and to demand urgent economic relief. While the strike was an immediate success, its ease led many young militans to believe that change could come through a benevolent state, notably Luis Morones, who would later lead to Confederacion Nano Prera Mexicana was CROM signed agreements with Caranza's government. Matters intensified ten months later when a second strike broker due to lowpe. In response, Caranza ordered mounted police to break up assemblies and declared martial law. The strike was crushed, its committee suspended all activities, and one prominent leader was nearly executed before his sentence was finally commuted. La Cassa shut down and the strike failed, but the anarchists endured. By mid nineteen seventeen, new groups like Loose and several local cassas had reappeared throughout the country. However, internal debates culminated in the October nineteen seventeen National Workers Congress, where reformist forces led by Luis Moronees properly marginalized the anarchists, set in the stage for the rise of the CROM and a more moderate pro management approach aligned with of All People the American Federation of Labor the AFL. Caranza's crowning achievement came in that same year with the signing of the Constitution of nineteen seventeen on People. It was progressive land reform, limited churish power, labor protections. But to many revolutionaries, including Magon, this wasn't the revolution fulfilled. Far from it. It was a revolution managed their wireless dreams trimmed down to a policy. Even its better reforms were hardly enforced. But with the Constitution of nineteen seventeen, Cranzer could still claim legitimacy, he could claim progress, and he could claim that the revolution was over. But what happened to the revolutionaries. Zapata was still fighting for land in the South, but Caranza would assassinate him in By nineteen nineteen, Magone was in prison in the USA, denouncing the betrayal from behind bars. Workers were still struggling for real power in their work places, and the vast majority of rural Mexicans remained poor, dispossessed, and dissillusion In case you're wondering what happened to Macgone in nineteen sixteen, he was jail in the US until a group of exiled anarchists led by Emma Goldman and Alexander Berkman paid his bond. That that feels like a cameo or crossover episode of some kind, right, And then in nineteen seventeen, the year of the new Constitution, he was back in jail again for speaking out against the First World War and calling for a social revolutionary war instead. He was sentenced to twenty years and his health deteriorated steadily. He wasn't a fan of care anzer at Tall. He called him a strike breaker, an assassin, and a wolf in sheep's clothing. When a Karanza's government offered him a pension, he said, quote all money obtained by the stage represents the sweat, the anguish, and sacrifice of workers. If this money came directly from workers, I would gladly and even proudly accept it because they are my brothers. But when it comes to the invention of the state, after being compelled from the people the money, you would only burn my hands and fill my heart with remorse. End quote. So long story short, he didn't accept the money. When the US said they might let him go if he said sorry and petitioned for a pardon, he said, in many words, hell no. Among his more beautiful words, he said, quote repentance. I have not exploited the sweat, anguish, fatigue, and labor of others. I have not oppressed a single soul. I have nothing to repent for my life has been lived without my having acquired any wealth, power or glory, when I could have gotten these three things very easily, But I do not regret it. Wealth power and GLORI are only one by trampling others' rights. My conscience is at peace, for it knows that under my convict's garb beats an honest heart. So he died in his jail cell in nineteen twenty two, possibly assassinated. Zapata, like I said, was assassinated by Cranzer in nineteen nineteen, and Kranz himself was assassinated in nineteen twenty in case who were keeping truck, both of Magone's major ops. He ended up outliving right. He outlived Madero and then he outlived Caranzer, but he still died in jail, which is, you know, kind of tragic. But Kranza's successor, Alvaro Obregon, was both friendly with reformists in the crom and not as hostile to the anarchists as Caranza, which gave the anarchists an opportunity to regroup. Strikes built up across the country miners, oil workers, textile workers, dock workers, and more. Some sixty five thousand workers in July nineteen twenty alone. Out of this momentum came the Ferracion Communista del Proletariado Mexicano or FCPR. It was an ideologically mixed group but leaned in an arctic direction and starkly contrasted itself with the reformist ways the CROM and the international ally the AFL. The FCPM went on testa wish the Confederacieneral de Tabajadores or CGT in nineteen twenty one as a direct challenge to CROM. They were fully declaring their independence from state and party. Their focus was on class struggle. The Mexican government flew to his socialist language from time to time, but the anarchists saw through the charade. They called out that so called socialist light government's deportation of anarchists and socialists. They even called Maroney the guy who started ZROM, Mexico's Mussolini. It's an interesting insult. The CGT is still against the Moscow backed Third International and instead allied with councilists like Rosa Luxembourg and Anton Panacoec. They also formed a specifically anarchist section within the group, meant to play the same role played by the FAI for the Spanish CGT. The Mexican CGT backed strikes, including in nineteen twenty one when they backed a real workers' strike against US companies, and in nineteen twenty two they expelled the CGT leaders who had fluted with electoral politics, reiterating their anti party stance. They would not allow themselves to be retaken and capitulated to reformist aims. That same year, media protests turned into confrontations when right wing thugs kill the demonstrator's child in front of the US consolate, and they didn't stop there. Anarchists in the CGT helped organize tenant strikes in Mexico City and Vera Cruz. They led general strikes and textile mills and rallied against steed violence. They protested in solidarity with international struggles from Spain to Boston, from the murder of Salvador Sigwi to the gelin of Saco and Vencetti. They also to deal with efforts to defame them through misinformation, such as the accusation that they were embeztling workers' funds. Throughout the early nineteen twenties you had some new libertarian publications jumping out. You had Verberrojo, you had Lahu, my dad, Sachiitario, Tierra Libre, Alba, Anakika, and so on. And by nineteen twenty four, under President Kayas, who followed the assassinated Obrigon, the tides began to shift. Cays was more hostile to the anarchists than Abrigon and openly favored CRON. He gave Moronees a cabinet post past lawst undermined CGT organizing and escalated repression. The CGT held its ground, organizing general strikes, occupying textile mills, confronting the police, expanded into the countryside all their usual stuff. They fought for short term relief and long term revolution. By nineteen twenty six, CGT had grown into a federation of one hundred and fifty seven affiliated groups, unions, syndicates, occurring communities all included. And yet by the late nineteen twenties things started to free. The CROM was declining due to the attachments to a government that was no longer conciliatory to their political ambitions, and the CGT couldn't capitalize on that decline of the CROM. The government sought to marginalize them entirely. Thousands of former CROM members joined the CGT, while the CGT itself began to make some slides toward concession and reformer zone. And so it reached a point where they were calling themselves anarchists. But the anarchism was nowhere never and yet anarchism didn't die. It morphed, it migrated, and it regrouped. After the fall of Spain in nineteen thirty nine, exiled members the CNT and FAI arrived in Mexico, reinvigorating the scene for a time. They published Tierai Libertad, built new organizations, and kept the memory and the fight alive. A few anarchists and impulses managed to english within the Mexican Communist Party into the early nineteen thirties as well. At least according to Kirkschaffer, President Cais ended up founding what became the Institutional Revolutionary Party, a contradiction if I ever heard it, And they basically ran the show in Mexico for seventy one years straight, from nineteen twenty nine to two thousand. They administered co created the conditions. They were both the NEOs apatisms. In nineteen ninety four, they are anarchists, as they have been very clear to state, but maybe they'll get a two part in the future going into their history in more depth. The history of anarchism in Mexico has been quite the story, I must say, and with that we've reached the end of that classical history. Its modern history is still being written, still being told. But this is the end of our exploration for now, not as of Mexico's anarchist history, but of this entire series of anarchism in Latin America. I joked about baking an episode about Quebec's anarchism scene, but that may remain a joke for now. We've justur neyed a very long way together, from the Andes to Buenos Aires, to Montevideo to South Battlo all over. We've seen how long before the name anarchism arrived in Latin America's shows people who resisting hierarchy through indigenous forms of autonomy, African maroon communities, and peasant traditions of land sharing and reciprocity. We saw how these anarchic and anarchist instincts met new ideas genuinely and intentionally anarchist ideas coming from prudin Bacunin and Kropotkin brought over in pamphlets and in the minds of exiles and immigrants in Mexico, those forces took on a revolutionary scale. Roda Kanati planted the seed, Macgone amplified its voice. The workers, the peasants, the students, they all gave it their all, their fire, And even when that fire was smothered by reformists, by nationalists, by reactionaries, by capitalists, by the bullets and the bribe, it never truly went out. Across the Americas, these movements rarely one in the traditional sense. They were often betrayed, suppressed, and erased from history. But although anarchy was not achieved, anarchists and the anarchist idea will survive. Anarchist thought is radically resilient, and it never really disappears, and usually just goes underground or into the margins, or into new forms, from student collectives to feminist organizations to squads to ecological struggles, inspiring movements that aren't necessarily anarchists, but lean in a direction that questions some of the familiar patterns of authority. Thank you for walking this journey with me. I've been Andrew Saige You can find me on YouTube at Andrewism. Support the work over our patreon dot com slash change threw. All sources, citations and further reading can be found in the show notes. This has been It could happen here. All power to all the people. Peace.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the war update and update about war. I'm your host Miya Wong with the is is James and Robert.
Speaker 5: War never changes, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, except for Yeah, I mean all the time changes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, except for all the changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's a line from the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean the most important part doesn't change, which is most things in proper place at right time, right. That's that's that's what determines war winning. But the things that matter are what change.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah. Also what doesn't change not great fun for the most part, and non enjoyable way to spend your time.
Speaker 2: Not enjoyable except for for the chunk of people who tend to make most of the calls.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, enjoyable a lot. Yeah, enjoyable. You're an old guy in a big house.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So we're gonna be talking about three wars. Yeah, I think we're going to. We're gonna lead off with the India Pakistan war, and then we're gonna do the other two wars in some order you want to do you want to announce the other two wars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're gonna talk about the end of the of the armed conflict between the PKK and the Turkey State maybe mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be talking about Yemen a little bit.
Speaker 8: Yeah, man, Yeah, let's let's Oh god, let's do this. Okay, So good news missed that. Look, we do have good news, which is that we have not all died in the nuclear fires. I know there are some of you for whom you were very disappointed, but we're all still here for better or for worse, I mean for better. Like I'm very glad we didn't all die in nuclear fire. Yeah, so let's let's let's talk about the recent war between India and Pakistan. Lasted about four days, so all right. Well, we talked about this a little bit before. The very basic sort of elements of this conflict. We talked about partition on the show before when India sort of gained independence from the British ere it split into Indian Pakistan. Millions died, horrific sort of conflict, people killing each other like mass migrations across the borders.
Speaker 6: Very very very unstable set of borders get set up that change a bunch of times. And one of the aspects of this sort of whole thing is that Kashmir was supposed to be this independent state and then through an extremely convluted process that I am again once again pushing off to another episode with like actual good experts on this, because this is a very very convoluted thing. But the short version of it basically is that this series is sort of escalating conflicts, end ends basically in a short war and then kasher being split into between India and Pakistan, where like about a third roughly of Kashmir ends up under Pakistani control and then about two thirds ends up under Indian control. Now there's an agreement signed by sort of Kashmir's ruler at the time to let India like annex like two thirds of Kashmir or so the actual dividing line basically ends up being like where the armies stopped. You know, it changes over the years. But the important thing here, right is that Kashmir is supposed to have had an independence referendum, right that was like, yeah, the deal now in a move that is, like Genny Winey, even more stunning than the ship that, like Indonesia pulled in West Papua so ins Papua. Right, like Indonesia pulls a like fake independence referendum here, they've never even done that, Like, they never pretended to have the referendum, and.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to have.
Speaker 5: It's like a sub assad level attempt at democracy, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, they're just like nope, each ship like you're you're you're basically a colony now now as part of this deal, right, Kashmir God a pretty substantial amount of autonomy. I'm gonna read there. There's actually there's a very good Jacobin one of the rare good Jacobin articles, which usually tend to be the ones written like not by the American Jocobin writers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm freelancer who made fifty US dollars for writings. Yeah, and that's their right to goun up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is written by Irish k And I'm going to quote here from this article. Quote central to the instrument of a session. It's the document that the ruler of Kashmir signed is sort of Likedhan Kashmir ver to India. Quote which the constitutional provision of Article three seventy, which assured the Kashmiri people autonomy over all matters besides those pretending to defense, external affairs, and communications. The article was supposed to be temporary and provisional because there was a promise of a referendum by which the people of Kashmir would decide their own political fate to remain part of India, to join up with Pakistan, or become an independent state. But as you've already mentioned, this has never happened. I mean, they didn't even do a sham one. It just literally didn't ever happen. And India has just been imposing its rule in Kashmir ever since. And I mean it's also worth pointing out that Pakistan has also been imposing its rule on like it's part of Kashmir. But the Indian occupation has become increasingly brutal basically since its starting, it's just continued to get worse and worse, and it is sort of a full blown military occupation, right there's just like a bunch of fucking Indian troops in the street. And as it becomes clear that India is like never going to let Kashmir be free or just even let the Kashmi people decide what they want. Milton struggles en sews and as Kate points out, it's originally spearheaded by the secular Jamu Kashmir Liberation Front, and this group has just sort of wiped out because it wanted an independent Kashmir. And this was convenient to neither the Indian or the Pakistani government because Pakistan and Pakistan talks about this a lot internactually, like one of their sort of international political things is like, yeah, we want free Kashmir. But it's like, no, you don't. You want Kashmir to be part of Pakistan. And that is not the same thing is it being free?
Speaker 4: Like very clear.
Speaker 6: About this, yeah, and so and so Pakistan's engagement towards Kashmir has always been about this, right, It's always been about making sure that there wouldn't be any kind of sort of independent Kashmir. And so both India and Pakistan crush this sort of secular Kashmiri independence group that have been spearheading a lot of this, and over time Pakistan is.
Speaker 4: Sort of through it.
Speaker 6: There are a complicated series of things has sorted a lot of control over a lot of these groups or has intelligence relations with them. Is SI kind of notoriously works with militant groups like the I. S I is the group in Afghanistan that like really full on did the thing that everyone thinks that the US and the Saudi sort of did in in terms of like funding the worst parts of Lujahadeen, like that was really mostly Pakistani intelligence. Yeah, So, like they have a lot of relations with a bunch of people who absolutely fucking suck, and they've you know, sort of used a lot of these a lot of these groups as like a way to sort of poke a stick in India and also you know, like attempt to obtain their sort of like domestic political goals of like weakening India for the real sort of internal stability, which we'll come back to later, well, the interior's ability of like military of the power of the military in Pakistan, and also like taking the rest of Kashmir. Yeah, and so this has caused a really horrific conflict in which the people of Kashmir have suffered a bunch of horrible shit. In twenty nineteen, that autonomy, you know again that the autonomy that was the carrot in order to like join in order in exchange for cashmer joining India, right, and I supposedly getting this referendum, like the like the carrot was supposed to be that they're supposed to have an unbelievable amount of internal autonomy. And in twenty nineteen, it had been being eroted for a long time, but in twenty nineteen, India is just like each hit fuck you, it's gone, now have fun. And this causes a bunch of protests, It causes Milton Group attacks, it causes a genuinely astonishing crackdown. I mean, like they they turned off the phones in the internet in Cashmir. The Indian government just like did this and it became unbelievably difficult to get any information out. They arrested unbelievable numbers of people. There are I mean just absolutely horrifying accounts of the ship that Indian security forces were doing to people. You know what I mean, Like this is this is this is a colonial occupation, right, The things that happened in the colonial occupation. They fucking torture people, they kill people, they like they rape people. It's it's really fucked And during this as as more sort of like militant attacks rupt like in India, does the first version of its well not the first version, but it does. It does like it launches a series of attacks on southern Pakistan and this is kind of you know, there were escalations of it a couple of years ago, but you know, the sort of big deal this time was insurgents and it's we have a group that claimed responsibility for it. It's still I don't know, it's still unclear the extent to which packs INNY government was actually involved. There's the whole thing with this. But a bunch a bunch of sort of insurgents killed like twenty five Hindu tourists in a KASHMIRII tourist town and it's really fucking horrifying. This immediately causes this just unhinged wave of Indi nationalism, like you do for sort of nationalism in India. We talked last time about all of these Indian government officials like literally talking about quote in Israel style final solution to Kashmir. So a bunch of very very horrific shit is happening. Yeah, and then India decides that it's going to start launching attacks across the border. There's like the immediate small arms fire, there's missile strikes, there's drone attack, and then as this sort of escalates, India launches attacks on three Pakistani air bases and again like they hit an air base that is in the city where Pakistan's Army General headquarters is, which is a kind of provocation that has not happened since like the last time these two countries were just straight up at war. And you know, like that could have killed us all. It didn't, but it absolutely could have, and it was also just horrifying for it. And it's worth pointing this out right. The people who are getting killed on both sides of the border here, like ur Kashmiri's right, because like their home has been occupied by these two powers. When when India and Pakistan go to war, the people who die on both sides are ar kashmiris right, who are being killed by two states who decided, fuck you, we get to control your fate, We get to be the people who fucking occupy your land and then claim to be the people who represent you. And you know, the civilian toll of this is fucking horrifying. There's a bunch of a bunch of civilians are killed. People spend a huge amount of time cowering in these like horrifying overcrowded bunkers. There's a good sort of BBC report on this of like there's so many people packed into bunkers that like you can't even like walk. Everyone's just like pressed against each other. And three days later you come out of your bunker and your fucking house is gone. And those are the people who survived, right. It's it's just horrifying, and eventually there's a ceasefire. Everyone is now saying different things about the ceasefire. The Indian government is trying to downplay the US's role in the ceasefire. The Pakistani government has been talking about how a whole bunch of places were involved, including like Iran and Turkey to some extent, or Turkey more than I Ran. It seems like the US, the UK, and Saudi Arabia all played a role in sort of mediating it that we can sort of confirm. The US seems to have played the law just roll, which I guess I don't know. Like Marco Rubio was like, we should probably not have a war between to nuclear powers, which okay, I'm glad that like he's finally found a thing a level that he won't stoop to which is we all die in nuclear war.
Speaker 5: I mean, like I would rather Maka Rubio was not the Secretary of State. But like of the people who could be under Trump administration, he's not as bad as some of the other folks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's like he we are fully in Like which of Hitler's generals would you prefer to be in charge of this territory?
Speaker 4: All these people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't need it. We don't need a debate raml right now. What we do need to do is throw to ads the Irwin Rommel of the podcast industry.
Speaker 6: Okay, so there are a few things about this conflict that are very, very bad. One is that India has demonstrated the capacity to launch attacks against Pakistan that don't involve them mobilizing their ground troops, which takes forever. It is hard. That's really fucking bad. It's also bad that again they fucking hit like the air base next to Pakistan General Army General Headquarters, which means if they try to do another attack, they're gonna have to hit a bigger target. And they apparently it seems like the Indian government has sort of concluded that they can do this now it's also very bad that like most of the like domestic Indian left supported this, including CPIM, the comediest party of India Marxists, which is like the sort of social democratic technically Maoist party that is supposed to be like the left in India, like back the attacks, and they've always had a fucking terrible line on Kashmir. So it's also we're mentioning a little bit. There's been a lot of reporting about India. You know, Modia isn't making a bunch of noise about trying to just straight up cut off Pakistan's access to water, which is very scary. Yeah, it's worth noting. Kay talks about this in that Jocobin piece. Case argument basically is that like they don't actually have the infrastructure to do this, which is good because I mean that would be a genocide. Like if they just knocked out all back Then's access to water for agricultural purposes and for drinking purposes, it'd be really bad. But here's what I'm going to read this quote. Under the treaty regulations, India is required to share hydrological data that is essential for planning to deal with floods and or drought dream monsoon seasons. Denying Pakistan access to this data would have a damaging impact. Moreover, because of the limited storage capacity, India can change the timing of water flow, which is crucial for many crops during sewing seasons. So there is still a lot of damage they can do. They can't straight up do like a genocide, but they can do a lot of damage. And while both sides have backed off of like direct military conflict, India still is committed to every single thing they can do to fuck with Pakistan, which affects just like the people Pakistan. This has also been plit very good for Modi because alternationalism has been bolstering the sort of like Pakistani military government because there are alternationalists feed off of this, and it's once again really fucking bad for the people of Kashmir, who are the ones getting killed on both sides of the border. Yep, war is bad. Free Kashmir hate this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, speaking of war being bad, let's talk about what's going on in Yemen. So if you remember from the last quarter or so of the Biden administration, after Israel launched their were prisal attacks to October seventh on Gaza, the Huthis, which is a depending on your stance, either the legitimate government of Yemen or a rebel group in Yemen. You know, the International community stance is a rebel group. The Houthis stance is different. Started launching a series of missile attacks, both aimed at Israel and aimed at shipping in the Gulf of Aden, right in order to disrupt because the significant amount of the world's trade goes through there. And this took a number of forms. They have ballistic missiles, some of them are indigenous, by which I mean made by the who. These oftentimes using stocks that were captured from the military and government of Yemen previously. You know that they supplanted in a lot of areas and other times using missiles that were given to them by Iran. Yeah, right, So it's a mix of tactics. They have also used drones and they have also landed troops in order to capture bulk freighters, including one called the Galaxy Leader and I think twenty twenty three that was full of cars and their claim was that it was a British vessel, and obviously the Brits had been helping to arm and support Israel. The vessel was actually registered in Lebanon. However, whenever we get to discussions about like whose vessel is, who's none of that. None of what is registered matters. Vessels are registered all over the place for a variety of nothing. It's always nonsense. That means nothing. I'm masha, and nothing in the entire world matters less to the reality of a situation than where the vessel is registered. I'm not saying that justifies or does it with the houthis that, I'm just saying it does not matter where the vessel is registered. Yeah, yeah, the ship was owned by a Lebanon based company, But also given the nature of capitals, it doesn't all matter all that much. Now. What also doesn't matter is that in January of this year, the Hoothi's freed the captain of that ship and they made an announcement that they would limit further attacks to vessels flagged deed as Israeli or owned by Israeli individuals or entities. Right now, that also doesn't mean a lot, right because the nature of international trade means that there are a lot of you know, you could basically argue, if you're the houthis, well, this is owned by a multinational corporation who owns companies in Israel or who has heavy investments in companies in Israel. Therefore, right, as a result, you know, the Hoothi's continued doing the hoothy stuff, and Trump saw them as kind of a convenient target, a convenient place to flex's military muscles. And there were some people within the United States defense establishment that considered that extremely convenient too, right, And this is largely due to the fact that Biden prescribed a very limited campaign against the Huthies. Now this does not mean inexpensive or insignificant. We kept at least one aircraft carrier carrying out strikes in Yemen for like a year or so, which is kind of the first combat duty that an aircraft carrier has had in quite some time. That was really like active taking incoming fire, not incoming fire that ever really threatened the carrier itself. But that's sort of beside the point. And there were people within the US military establishment who were consistently frustrated with the Biden administration that they were not letting them operate at a high enough tempo, right, And kind of the number one guy advocating for this side of events was General Michael E. Carilla, who is the head of Central Command or syentcom right, and his attitude had been we need a much more aggressive, high tempo campaign he pitched the Trump administration when they came in. I think it's like an eight to ten month long campaign where initially they would degrade who their anti air asset. So first we go in there and we use our air power to establish air what's called air supremacy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Air superiority means that you have better quality air support, but also your shit can get knocked down. Air supremacy means you have complete control of the skies. Right. The US military is fairly used to having air supremacy if you look at, like, for example, our combat in Iraq and Afghanistan, when it came to like height, like fighter aircraft helicopters would get shot down from time to time obviously and have accidents. We weren't losing F eighteens in Afghanistan, right, like they weren't getting knocked out of the fucking sky by the Taliban. We had air supremacy in Ukraine. Depending on what part of the battlespace you're talking about, either things have been more or less at a standstill, or Russia has had air superiority but not supremacy, right because Ukraine has very solid modern anti aircraft defenses and it has been able to exact a toll. We will talk to a greater extent about what's been happening with India and Pakistan. It is exceedingly unclear at the moment who got the better of the engagement. Did any of those Chinese anti aircraft missiles actually knock out aircraft? Did any India lose any aircraft? Did Pakistan down an aircraft? We actually like everyone's making different claims right now, and I don't have objective evidence right other than that we can we know that things that there's at least evidence of, at least one case what looks like refkage of a rough fall, and in at least one case there's what looks like a knocked down Chinese anti aircraft missile. I'm spacing on the exact name right now, but again, that doesn't mean anything about how they actually affair in the battlespace, right So anyway, Yeah, this motherfucker he had a syncom. Michael Lee Corilla was like, I've got this plan. We need a much more force we're going to knock out their anti air defenses, and then we're going to basically carry out a modified version of what is real carried out against Hamas and has belat right, where we start targeting and killing the leadership Cadro once we've knocked out their defenses, and he estimated that would take about a little under a year, right, but the better part of a year. And the Trump administration said, you can have your higher tempo war, but you've got to show results in about a month. Right, In about a month, the US military carrid out about eleven hundred strikes they killed. They say hundreds of hoo thy fighters, destroyed quite a bit of weapons and equipment. Very unclear how many fighters they killed, certainly hundreds of people. Were those all hoothy fighters? How many weapons and equipment were destroyed? I don't have access to that sort of data, and I'm not entirely confident that anyone in the US military has a much better idea. Certainly a little bit more data, but also they get that shit wrong all the fucking time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's also like it's worth noting, right when they're talking about like casualty numbers, the Huthis are not a small rebel group like now they control the capital of Yemen, right, Like this is like the government, right yeah, they have not.
Speaker 2: A peer state in terms of the US and that they do not have the manufacturing base and capacity, but they are equivalent to a small state actor, right yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: And so and so what you're bombing them, right like you're you're just you're blowing smoking creators and apartment buildings.
Speaker 2: And the Hoothies are so experienced with getting bombed. They've been bombed by a lot of people before. None of this is new to them, right, yeah. So in the first thirty days, while they you know, the US has made a lot, has made a lot of claims about how many people they killed and the level of degradation of Hoothy capacity, the Houthis have done some damage to US capacity. They have shot down sevens at this point, at least seven m Q nine Reaper drones, which are thirty million dollars each. And in addition, now four f eighteen jets have been lost not probably yeah, probably just to fuck ups that are a result of the tempo of activity. Right. These all tend to be craft that are landing and don't get caught by the catapult system that they've got on these aircraft carriers or otherwise wind up in the Red Sea. Right, there is some suspicion and debate is to like, is there any sort of like internal treason going on here? Is somebody on the aircraft carrier making these fuck ups happen. This is being investigated, I believe, although there's no confirmation about like what exactly has gone down. It's weird to lose this many FA eighteen super hornets and a very short period of time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I will say my understanding of it. Also, is it the everything that's going on here is that this aircraft carrier has been out past the point it should have been refitted. Yes, like so extraordinarily.
Speaker 2: And it's also not weird that people fuck up when they are carrying out operations at a tempo they never have before, Right, And there's a very good chance that it's nothing more than that the more you fly, the more accidents are going to happen.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 6: Also I want to say, I want to say, imagined you were like the deck office.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that poor motherfucker, that motherfucker's getting fucked Like yeah, like the.
Speaker 6: First one goes over, right, and then the second one huh goes yeah, And now it's happening right now you've probably been you're out of the job.
Speaker 2: And that first guy's kind of lucky because when the next two fall off, at least maybe that's less pressure on you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like imagine like you're the deck officer of the fourth Yeah. Yeah, Jesus.
Speaker 2: God, that's gotta suck. So in about thirty days, the US military had burned more than a billion dollars on this operation, right at which point Trump and people around him were like, oh fuck, we can't keep this ship up. We can't maintain this tempo of operations. There were warnings given forin the Defense Department that we have used so many of our most advanced munitions that if China makes a move on Taiwan, we're not sure we have the reserves necessary right these munitions. When we talk a lot about the capacity of US firepower, people talk about shit like in twenty eighteen, how we like a There was this Arqaita guy who had been responsible for the attack on the US coal twenty something years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a long gas time ago.
Speaker 2: Who used a cell phone he shouldn't have used briefly and then turned it off, and we were able to get visual confirmation of where he was from the cell phone signal and knock his ass out with a drone. Right, And we do have incredible capacity potentially to make unbelievably precise strikes. However, that capacity is reliant both upon a functional network of human intelligence, a functional network of operators of aircraft and drones who are not completely burnt out by the tempo of operations, and access to incredibly advanced munitions, which we do not have an inexhaustible capacity, and are reliant upon an international supply chain to continue to manufacture, right, and all of that has been endangered by the tempo of this campaign. And ultimately there's a great New York Times report on this that's just absolutely damning to the military that came out as called why Trump suddenly declared victory over the Hoothy militia, that declared that after all of this, the best we can say is perhaps a modest degradation of Hoothy capacities that they can easily recover from given enough time, which they're going to get because Trump both declared victory and stated that the Hoothies had yet again agreed to stop striking shipping in the Red Sea, and he was like, this is a win. We made a deal with him, big deal maker, Donald Trump made a deal. Now, if you look at what the Houthi said, all they said is we're going to stop striking Israeli shipping, which, if you'll recall, is what they had said in January. So did we win Now? Did the Hoothies win? Not yet, but they're you know, they didn't lose. And again, if you understand your insurgent warfare, you win by just not losing for long enough.
Speaker 5: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, and it's also worth it's worth mentioning too when you're talking about the global supply chain part of this. Right, on the one hand, like the US has done an extraordinary amount to try to make sure that as much as the supply chain as they can is in the US. On the other hand, it still requires a bunch chef mother places, including a bunch of rare earth metals that the US gets from China. Now you may be noting we are currently fighting a trade war with China. A bunch of the our li strategic planning is about stopping a Chinese invasion of Taiwan. So and we've just expended a shit ton of our stack pilot shots that we can only replace by using shit we get from China. So absolute, just gedious brain shit that that that's happening here right now at the highest levels of the highest levels of the regime.
Speaker 5: Memma has a lot of rare earth metals, but we have China is currently a lot closer to securing those than the United States.
Speaker 8: Is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not great.
Speaker 2: Well that's all I got. That's the who is. Let's have another ad break real quick here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 2: Let's do that.
Speaker 5: Let's have an ad break. Lovely, what a nice advertising break we are. Now that I know many of you have been asking me about what is happening in Kurdistan, So I'm going to try my best to very briefly explain that in the last segment of this show. So, the PKK right, the PKK being the branch of the Kurdish Freedom Movement that has operated in Turkey as Turkey or Northern Kurdistan, and mostly since the mid twenty teens, has been based in a Rack or Southern Kurdistan. Right, it convened its twelfth Congress in the second week of May, and it decided to disband itself late down its arms. And I think the phrasing it used was to cease armed activities under the PKK name, which is a way of saying things more broadly. It did genuinely seem to indicate a commitment to like this sort of ballot not the bullet approach. And I'm going to quote kind of extensively here from the statement that the PKK released, and then from other statements from like people Genial Bick, the leader one of the co chairs of the KCK, the KSEK, if you're not familiar, it's a Curdistan Communities Union that is a group that allows the different areas of the Kurdish Freedom movement, all of which are inspired by the political thought of ab Aujerlan, to sort of come together and discuss their paradigm, their goals, their methodologies. I guess. So I want to read from the PKK statement to begin with quote the process initiated by Leader Abdullah or Janan statement of February twenty seventh, and further shaped by his extensive work and multi dimensional perspectives, culminated in the successful convening of our Twelfth Party Congress between May fifth and May the seventh. Despite ongoing clashes, aerial and ground attacks, continued siege of our regions and the KDP embargo, our Congress was held securely under challenging conditions due to security concerns. It was conducted simultaneously in two different locations, with a participation of two hundred and thirty two delegates in total. The PKK twelfth Congress discussed leadership, martyrs, veterans, the organizational structure of the PKK and armed struggle, and democratic society building, culminating in the historic decisions marking the beginning of a new era for a freedom movement. It's a very long statement, as tends to be the style of statements from the Curdish Freedom movement. It talks a lot about Abdullah ja Lene as tends to be the style of statement from the Kurdish freedom movement. I've have linked itin the shown as if you'd like to read all of it, you know, and encourage you too, you're interested in this sort of thing. They talk a lot about the democratic nation concept and the idea that occurs in Turks of coxisted in Turkey for a long time, I thought this part was of interest, and going to quote again here, the decision of our Congress to dissolve the PKK and end the method of armed struggle offers a strong basis for a lasting piece and a democratic solution. Implementing these decisions requires that leader Appo Appo. It's the evocative form of the Kurdish word for paternal uncle, but in this in this instance, it's referring to abdulah Jaalan, right, that's his nickname. Leader Appo, Lead and guide the process that has right to democratic politics be recognized and that solid, comprehensive legal guarantees be established. At this stage, it is essential that the Grand National Assembly of Turkey plays its role with historical responsibility. So a couple of things that are of note there. One is that they're talking about this this transition towards democracy or a brotherhood of nations. So talk about somewhere else, right, brotherhood of people's it's occurring under the leadership and direction of Abdulla Ujerlan. If you are not familiar with Abdullah Ousjerlan, you can listen to Roberts theories. So the women's wards are the great job of explaining a lot of the stuff that we won't have time to get into today. Very briefly, Appo has been in Imrali and various other Turkish prisons since nineteen ninety nine. For long periods of that time, no one was able to see him. He was held completely in communicado. At times there were hundreds of troops guiding only him on this Turkish prison island. That is no longer the case. Right. He made this statement on the twenty seventh of February, and since then the Kurdish Freedom Movement has had access to Ouscherlan. Right. He actually made another statement on the eighteenth of May where he said, I quote, a new contract is needed based on the law of brotherhood. What we are doing represents a major paradigm shift. The nature of the Turkish Kurdish relationship is fundamentally different. What has been broken in the bond of brotherhood. It seems like through the DEM Party right, which is a left leaning party in Turkey, which has supported the Kurdish cause and for a long time has served as like the interlocutor between Turkey and the Kurdish Freedom movement. Through the DEM Party, they have access to Ouserland and they're able relatively frequently. It seems like these dem party officials to go to him rally and talk to him, and so they're talking about his leadership continuing through this democratic transition. Right. For the Curdish Freedom Movement, Jimil Bikes Jimil Bike again is the co chair of the ksey K and institutions within the Kurdish Freedom Movement. There's a co chair system, right, which means so that a man and a woman share the chairmanship of an institution such that they triarchal structures aren't replicated in the movement. That's the goal of the co chair system. He has a two part interview in A and F which I've linked again in the notes. He talked about how like the first role of the PKK, of the movement, even before it was called the PKK, was to quote unquote reveal the Kurdish quote unquote Kurdish question, right, That's how they refer to it. Other times I talk about her Kurdish people were on their knees and like under the leadership of Augiland they stood up. They talk about also how matt Arrarat Turkey has a plaque apparently where it says like here is buried the imaginary Kurdish nation, and like the Kurdish nation is certainly not buried anymore. Right like it, it's very active. Kurds are very politically empowered in two of the four countries where Kurds live, right Like in Turkey they are to a lesser extent, but they're still present. No one could deny their presence. In Iran, it's still, i guess more difficult the time for the Kurdish freedom movement, Biack said. Within our initial paradigm and our first manifesto, the Kurdish identity, the Kurdish people and Kurdish society were formed. A society in love with freedom was formed. People emerged that would fight for freedom under any circumstances. On this basis, we are now developing a new paradigm, a second manifesto. This paradigm, this manifesto aimed to resolve not only the Kurdish question, but also the issues of the peoples of the Middle East and humanity as a whole. Rabert Apple, rayber Smith's leader, Rabert Apple is no longer leading only the Kurdish people. He's leading all peoples in humanity. Yeah it's yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's yeah. This is the sort of rhetoric we can expect from the case k right, Like they're very dedicated to Julan as a leader. Yes, yes, and you know, Robert and I have both been trus Java.
Speaker 2: I've heard a lot of no life without our leader's speeches and seeing a lot of a lot of those posters as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, Like you can't really go into a space you'll see other Like it's not just Oserlan, right, you're going to see a wind I can, and you're going to see it's not like just a guy with a mustache. You're going to see women idolized in the movement too. But auscher Land to the greatest extent is like their dear leader figure. You can see his face all over Rashava, and they're very dedicated to Oucherlen's leadership. And like this change in structure does not change that, or this change in approach has not changed that. In fact, it underlines that, right, Like from the letter that Ocherlean wrote and he wrote letters to different parts of the Kurdish Freedom movement came this change, right, So it's still at the instruction of Ochelin, albeit with the consent of these delegates who went to this PKK Congress right and voted. I've reached out to the k CK to ask for a comment on like exactly what this means in terms of like most of the KCK, as I said, are in the mountains of southern Kurdistan now, and they have fought Turkey there for years. Right, We've covered that on this podcast North in Iraq, Southern Kerdistan, however you wish to call it, like Turkey has been bombing. They were bombing it last time I was there. I'm sure they were bombing it last time Robert was there. They've been bombing it ever since. And the villages that have really suffered as a result. Right, people have lost their theildren, they've lost their lands, they've often had their crops burned right by these bombs. So I'm interested to know that will the idea of the Kurdish Freedom Movement leaving the mountains there is I mean, it would be a hell of a site they've been in, they've been in those mountains for a long time. But I don't know what this means for the Kurdish Freedom Movement in Southern Kurdistan. But I've asked. I don't know if this means that they will attempt like a straight up electoral strategy, right, or when Ogerland's asking for new contract, right, like a new social contract. That's how in Rajaba they literally have a social contract.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 5: The social contract is generally like a theoretical construct in most like neoliberal democracies, the idea that you and the state enter into an agreement whereby you give up some freedom and you lose some danger and the state gives you some safety and it takes some of your freedom. In raja but the social contract is a real thing, right, Like it's a thing that is formed in consultation with society. So when when we see Appo asking a bandon new contract, does that mean that they will engage like on the basis of a new Turkish constitution. I don't know. I don't think any of us have answers to these questions, and I imagine that they don't either, write like they have decided to pursue this strategy of peace. They've decided that through their armed conflict they were able to prove that they exist. And that's a phrase that specifically people have said to me in the Kurdish Freedom movement, like we had to pick up arms to prove that we exist. And now that there's no denying their existence, they can use different methods, right like they put down their weapons and talk and established with Turkey how to coexist, having established that they exist through the armed struggle. So for them, this is like they're celebrating it, right. They'll draw the analogy very often to like Shinfein in Ireland. That's one that you're here pretty often, and that this is their Good Friday. Now. In the Good Friday Agreement, Britainer released people from prison. Number of very highly cherished, very highly respected members of the Kurdish Freedom movement are still in prison. Of course, Oderlan being the most sort of widely loved and respected member of the Kurdish Freedom movement. I don't think we're seeing Osderlan come out of prison. I don't think there's a world in which Turkey would let that happen. But maybe we will see some other people released. Maybe we will see those people. I don't enter into electoral politics. Some of them have been in the struggle for fifty plus years, right, like fifty years living in the mountains and constantly being worried about being bombed. So it'll be fascinating to see how this This has been a long and bloody conflict. It has been going for longer, but any of us have been alive. If the friends are happy, then I'm.
Speaker 4: Happy for them, right, And if peace is.
Speaker 5: What they want and they can get away to continue, like General Bick says, like the people in love with freedom, Like if they can keep their freedom and they can do it without war, then I'm happy for them because, like I've talked to a lot of Kurdish parents who have buried their children.
Speaker 2: God Almighty been to too many of the graveyards and northern Syria.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, there's little white graveyards with little children's faces. Like that will stay with me forever.
Speaker 2: Whatever stops that, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like if one of the things that kind of struck me when I was in Rajaba last time is that like death just falls from the night sky sometimes, yeah, and maybe maybe it's your baby, maybe it's you, maybe it's your grandma, And it's a pretty horrible way to live. And going through that for your freedom is something very brave. And they have endured some of the worst conflict on the planet in the last few decades, right, They've fought some of the worst fucking people on the planet on one and if there is a way that the people of Kurdistan can enjoy peace, I want that for them because they've been at war for a very long time. Yep, Hi everyone, it's James, and which is adding this pick up to the episode. I was able to get some questions answered on behalf of the Kurdish Freedim movement, and I would just like to share those answers with you. So I asked Ifvojulan was able to address the Congress. I'd prieviously been told he was. This is a response. Throughout the more than twenty six years that Kurdish People's Leader Abdula Ogelan has been held hostage in the prison island of him Rally, he has always found ways to convey his messages and perspectives to the Congress of the PKK that has taken place. So it was again regarding the twelfth Congress of the pKa, which convened from May the fifth to May the seventh in the Free Mountains of Kurdistan. He was able to forward his ideas and analysis via the various delegations that have visited him throughout the last few months, I asked about Ojulan's call for a new social contract and they told me Turkish People's Leader ab Dela Ojulan's calls and the historic initiative that he has taken do not imply that the Turkish State has adopted the same attitude or that the state has changed its approach. Kurdish People's Leader ab de la Aujulin is not simply hoping for a change of mentality in the state, but it's moving forward developing his project and thereby pulling the state along with him. What he is currently primarily concerned with is a redefining and reconstruction of the historical alliance of the Kurdish and Turkish people, which has been derailed during the past century. A long term democratic solution to the Kurdish question necessitates a recognition of the role of the Kurds in the establishment and development of the republic. Relations between the peoples must be brought back to the historical routes, so division cannot be realized Unilatterally, it lays in the nature of the way the struggle at the Kurdish People's Leader ab Del Ajulan and the p that when they want to achieve a solution to a specific issue, they initially create through struggle the necessary conditions and contexts for it. What Abdul Ojiland does is to set the context and to encourage all related circles in Turkey to take upon their responsibility for our lasting peace. And then I wanted to ask about the people who are incarcerated and like the steps that they needed from the Turkish state in order for this peace process to continue. And this is what they said. A historic initiative was taken by Curdish People's Leader Abdula Aujilan and the PKK. First of all, there was the publication of the quote call for Peace and democratic Society and quote on February twenty sevenths. Then there was a declaration of the unilateral ceasefire on March first, and now there was the twelve PKK Congress May fifth to seventh was a decision to dissolve the PKK. All of those steps were unilateral steps that were not the result of negotiations with the state. So far, no official negotiations to take a place, and the original verbal agreements have been reached. The steps taken were only assign goodwill and expression of seriousness about peace. Now it is upon the Turkish state to answer to this initiative and take the first practical legal steps. So far, all we have seen is empty rhetoric. For the process to actually unfold, Kurdish People's leader Abdullah Oujelan must first of all, regain his physical freedom, and the conditions for him to work freely, healthily and securely must be guaranteed so that he can fulfill his role as a chief negotiator of the Kurdish people. Also, the constitutional reforms that grant the basic rights of the Kurds and recognize him as one of the primary constituents of a republic must take place now. These are the first necessary steps. From there a peace process can unfold. If you're wondering about Rajava, just to finish up, Muslumabdi made a statement a Slumubdi, leader of the Syrian Democratic Forces Right, sometimes called General muslium Hova Muslum depends who depends what side of things you're on, I guess. Muslum Abdi made a statement congratulating the PKKA, saying he hoped to all parties supported the peace process. The SDF is still in clashes with remnants of the so called Islamic State and increasingly with Sunnis within the Syrian Revolution who are growing disheartened with what they see as al Shara's moderate turn right, the Damascus government being to lib for some of these Sunni groups, and so isis the Islamic State, whatever you want to call it. Dash is using that as a chance to recruit people, and that is why we are seeing ongoing fighting. I literally I saw that they were they were burying one of their SDF fighters in Kamishlow today.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 5: So unfortunately for the people who a fra Java, the killing and dying continues, which, yes, it's sad, yes, yeah, I want peace for my friends there and in Burma. Like yeah, despite the fact that Robert and I get paid to go to wars sometimes, it doesn't mean we don't want a friends to live in peace. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would like there to not be any more to go to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that would be great.
Speaker 2: I'll find something else to do. Yeah, fuck it, I'll go run with the bulls again. I went White Rotter rafting yesterday. It was nice. I could just do more of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, no o, well climb yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody We're done for the day. Go hopefully not live in a war zone. But if you do, hopefully that stops so peace.
Speaker 4: Welcome to it could happen here show about things falling apart, and today the thing falling apart is the Galactic Empire. This is episode four of our four part series talking about the politics of and Or Season two. And Or has sadly come to a close. This will be our final discussion episode talking about and season two episodes ten, eleven, and twelve. I'm Garrison Davis. I'm joined by Robert and Mio Wong. What a what a exhilarating For four weeks this has been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna miss it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're we're getting relief from the horrors to live the horrors in another universe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, it's sucks now that that we have to just do all this stuff, except like the eight years in the past version, because the level in which they've advanced here is far beyond certainly the US's revolutionary potential.
Speaker 2: Alas Yes, tragic.
Speaker 6: Hey, if anyone wants to be our mom mofbud taken applications, you you you could, you can be the good liberal.
Speaker 4: You can be it.
Speaker 2: Oh Man I'll take a fucking Kraeger at this point.
Speaker 4: So I think we're gonna do these episodes a little bit differently. I'm not going to do a whole synopsis for each of these episodes, since for these last three the show has mostly a shwed plot for emotional and character beats, So instead, I want to quickly go over each of those character points and then we can discuss those in detail, and most of our discussion will probably be around episode ten. Make it stop, yep. Let's start at the beginning Lonnie's last meeting.
Speaker 10: Ah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the ICP double agent Lonnie Young calls Luthen to an emergency meeting to give him one final batch of intel after burning his cover. It's really shocking and worrying when we see Luthen and Lonnie meeting in public. That that that already lets you know like, oh, this is like this is the end. This is stuff is like the most jover it's ever been for Lonnie.
Speaker 2: There's a great line they got one of the strongest reactions with the folks I was watching it with when Luthan's about to head out and he's talking with Claya and she's like, don't do this.
Speaker 1: Meeting.
Speaker 4: If it doesn't look perfect, we don't engage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Luthen responds, I think we've used up all the perfect.
Speaker 4: If you're stuff all the perfect.
Speaker 2: It's this, it's this really good. There's some very impressive like face acting from Scar's guard here where you you see he's There's so much he wants to say to this person, who, as we'll discuss, is essentially his daughter. But ultimately all that happens is she says, Tucky Shirtan.
Speaker 4: It's insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So he meets with Lonnie. Lonnie needs like assurances for like him and his family's safety. Luthen tells them that they'll be able to flee to Yavin together. Sure, sure, buddy. Yeah. So, by accessing Deadro's computer files, Lonnie learns that the Emperor's new energy project, the Calcite mining on Gorman the kyber On Jetta are actually part of a massive super weapon. Luthn is warned that Dedra and the ISB are preparing for a raid on corus On and he may be the target. Luthen ends up killing Lonnie to tie up loose ends and passes off the information to Claya to relay it to the Rebel Alliance while he goes to thermite their computer hard drive, saying yeah, he quotes, I'll do the burn again. It's it's it's jover like our our shop, our little home, our little base of operations in Coruscant. Yeah, is getting destroyed. This is this is truly the end of an era.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: Luthin either knows or has like decided that he has run out of time, and the only way to be sure that the information safely reaches the Alliance is to give the ISB a distraction, and that distraction is himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again it's very consistent. He's clearly trying to buy time for Claya to escape, right like, that's that's part part of his purpose here. Yeah, and I think he's also just done, you know, totally, he's done. He's tired and he doesn't have it in him to run anymore.
Speaker 4: And that's kind of what he discusses in this next section, which is such an efficient piece of screenwriting. When Dedra arrives at Luthern's gallery, Yeah, you can you can only hide in play insight for so long, and that time has come. As as dead Roel arrives, Lusen says, here you are at last, uh huh. Every line in their exchange, like but before before she lets him know, like hey, I know you are, Like but like every line leading up to that is a double entendre, like like every single exchange they have is actually communicating something else and it's wild. Forgery is the sad curse of antiquities. At the moment, only two pieces of questionable providence in the gallery. Yea insane stuff.
Speaker 2: It's great, it's insane writing, and it's it's perfect that like she keeps trying to like get some sort of acknowledgment that she's one. That's all she wants out of this is for him to basically she's actually kind of desperate for him to say you did good, kid, you cos it's crazy and all he does is through shade at.
Speaker 4: Her, like shit, sucker, villions.
Speaker 2: Arelready gone, you dip shit fascist, like you fucking failed to fl like referring to him elf.
Speaker 4: And in some ways her as like as an antiquity, like like like you said, like he is tired, he is done. He is he's kind of a relic for the current era of the rebellions.
Speaker 2: And you don't know it yet, but so are you.
Speaker 4: Yes, and so is so is her. Only two pieces of questionable providence are in the gallery. Amazing. So Luthen hands Dedra a ceremonial dagger. She asks if it's real. He smiles and remarks, we still don't know. And it's like, it's amazing. I get every single line. It's it's it's it's like this screenwriter's play with us just amazing. I think Tom Bisseol and Tony Gilroy uh for these episodes. Just phenomenal. Dedra. Now I'm nervous, Luthed, you've come all this way. And then she unveils this, this artifact that she is brought to Luthen for evaluation. She says, it's a little damaged perhaps, but I'd say it's held its value, as she looks Luthen up and down again, same thing again, singing very efficient. Luthen is a little damage, but he has held his value. And Dedra reveals the vintage Imperial StarPath unit that first brought Luthen's operation under Dedra's eye. And now that like both of them have their cards like displayed on the table, they get to exchange a little bit more clearly without having to use these like coded coded phrases like they were before, and they had this fascinating back and forth. She talks about how Luthan's been hiding in the shelter of imperial peace and quiet and just wants to burn the galaxy down, and Luthan gets gets to poke at her for how he's been aware of her this entire time and she's only learned who he is. Quote, I've known you all along. Hardly seems fair. She says, you disgusted me everything you stand for, and he says, do you know why freedom scares you? This is what Dedra's last arc is like really about, and it eventually, you know, paradoxically leads to leads to her fate.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: I think probably the best line in this little exchange is Luthan telling Deadrea, quote, you're too late. The rebellion isn't here anymore. It's flown away. It's everywhere. Now there's a whole galaxy out there waiting to disgust you.
Speaker 2: Great light. Yeah again, it's' he's this whole time, he's been like increasingly cooking her like.
Speaker 4: And also cooking his hard drive by time that's his heart drive burns up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's just it's just some great some great stuff and the Dedro we get some great face acting. Oh yeah from what is it? Denise is her name? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Gow I think where you just see in a second, she sees the smoke and then Luthan collapses because he has stabbed himself in the heart, which is also like it serves as another kind of rappost to every argument that she's been making, like it's his ultimate counter to her claims that like you're fundamentally selfish, You're just doing this for yourself and your own you know, desire chaos. He's like, no, bitch, I'm gonna stab myself in the heart, Like you don't know what commitment is.
Speaker 5: It's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he uses this, uses this ceremonial dagger that he that he earlier hands to Dedra and stabs himself so that the Empire will be able to torture and try to extract information from him about the rebellion.
Speaker 6: But you gotta have some explosives, like you can't be relying on staggering yourself with me dagger.
Speaker 4: This is this is like a screenwriting thing, like det has to get out of this. They have to they have to access the computer later. Come on, I think I think this is this is very like poetically written. Yeah, yeah, you know, it's it's beautiful. I like like the romance of it. Yeah, but man, Dedra fucked up so bad here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fundamentally ruins absolutely her entire life.
Speaker 4: The emotion's really got the better of her. She really wanted to like like win one over on on access to like validate herself and her obsession. This we like Cyril does, and it fucking bites her in the ass.
Speaker 6: It destroys the empires, the entire empire.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I like that they they had her simultaneously. She's both right and that if she had been listened to, she could have stopped the rebel victory. But also she fundamentally like destroys the Death Star as a result of her insistence on being right.
Speaker 6: It fits into that old Marxist category of objectively revolutionary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just by like.
Speaker 4: How she fucked this up specifically, and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, get to well, you know, I think we've talked about how how like the Death Star plans got stolen like from her fucking art, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Or like the the the learning of the Death Star existence through the hard.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, sorry, said yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, they don't have the plans yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Lutheran's transferred to the hospital, and then we get a flashback with Luthin as an early Imperial Army sergeant involved in a massacre on Claya's home planet. We see him like like huddled over in his ship with a flask, repeating the words make.
Speaker 2: It, make it stop, make it stop.
Speaker 4: As like sounds of like carnage and destruction go on in the background.
Speaker 2: What's what's interesting to me is, yeah, they have You're basically just hearing what's happening outside. He's in an Imperial Army uniform, and you're hearing like radio chatter, and it's radio chatter that could have come from like any war of the last twenty years. Like it's very much modern radio call. It's it sounds like a lot of the shit you heard and like the Collateral Murder video, like some of the stuff that got leaked by Chelsea Manning where people are like, yeah, hit every everything on that hill dies, you know, anything past this this point in this like line of buildings, anyone you see on the heat scope, kill them, Like it's that kind of stuff, right, Yeah, And it's it's it's very much like it's very non st Our Wars chatter.
Speaker 4: You know, he's he's like horrified at like what he's doing. He's trying to findst to cope with it.
Speaker 2: He's drinking out of a flask and yeah, just like repeatedly repeating to himself, make it stop.
Speaker 4: Just this like very short scene like recontextualizes a whole bunch of things about Luthern's character, Yes, including his behavior on Ferrex during during the riot, where he like doesn't get involved and instead looks on from a distance with like a very like a very blank expression. And like when I first saw that episode, to me, it felt like Luthen was like first confronted with like the fatality that he's dealing with, like like confronted with like the consequences for actually engaging in revolution because he's always been kind of in the shadows. He's been more of this like orchestrator. He doesn't see like that like the tactile death that accompanies his actions. It's like that's how I first saw that scene, and now this has been fully recontextualized as like Eric's is like a PTSD moment for him, Like this is that's that's not the first time he's seeing combat.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is.
Speaker 4: This is it changes the way you can now look back at that scene, which is very very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's also interesting to think that he's putting himself in the perspective as much as anything of the imperials doing the massacre. Yes, yeah, as opposed to the civilian victims of the massacre. I read an interview with Tony where apparently because they did not have Lutheran's backstory set up in season one, like they didn't fully know where he was going to go and.
Speaker 4: Have a single one nail Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was apparently Scarsguard who was like, don't have him be another person who's pissed, like who just hates the Empire because it took everything from him, like like.
Speaker 4: A normal revenge story where like the Empire like tells his family so that he becomes an insurgent.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, and I really I think it's beautiful that, like, yeah, his backstory is that, no, he was made complicit. Like however, whatever got him into the army in the first place, maybe just conscription. He may not have even had a choice to join, but the Empire forces him to do, like puts him in a position and he's it's as much discussed with himself that he goes along with it as far as he does. And you get in those lines that he's just repeating him to himself over and over again as he like make it Like that's his whole motivation, right, Like that's the next twenty years of his life. Are him trying to make it stop?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the title of the episode. Yeah, well we'll talk more about that and his motivation at the end when we discuss kind of Claya, speaking of which, in this flashback, it is shot from the perspective of Claya hiding in like a cubby on on this ship. Yeah, and Luthen named I think Layer Lar which is Lair.
Speaker 2: He is Sergeant Lair is original name. Well, we don't know what his first was, but he just reverses it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, which no, no, but like this is this is this is also like poetic, right, this is this is this is this is Star Wars poeoetry, right, it's like poetry at rhymes popseek wise.
Speaker 4: Don't do that.
Speaker 2: I just I just got to put this in there. Don't do that.
Speaker 4: Do better. But Sergeant Layer finds Claya as like a six year old hiding hiding on this ship. We then go back to the present as Claya infiltrates a space hospital to get to Luthen. Intercut with flashbacks showing how Luthen used his military experience to train Claya in insurgent warfare. So here we see like Luthen being kept alive in this Corroiscant hospital for later interrogation, and then suddenly Dedra is arrested in the hospital by an ISB. Marshall for at first unclear reasons which we will get into later. The ICP has found Lonnie's body, so there's a dead yes B agent in Cororriscant. They've heard of how Dedra did this raid without authorization without notifying the agent now in charge of the Axis investigation, and then she's taken into custody. In these flashbacks, we see Luthen and Clia going town to town pawning historical artifacts while he teaches young Claya insurgent warfare. One of the most devastating exchanges is when Luthen describes Claia as his daughter to a shopkeeper to help like negotiate a price, and afterwards Claya asks, am I your daughter now? He replies when it's useful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's and then he and then he says, I'm Luthen, you're Clia. Like that's all we need to know right now, that that's.
Speaker 4: Who we are now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Claia says, like, I'll have to think about that, and Luthen says, sometimes it's not up to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Another exchange happens after Claio watches this like Imperial firing line kill a batch of kids who are allegedly suspected of shooting a stormtrooper. I think it probably could have actually been Luthen, It's unclear, and it essentially just demonstrates like collective punishment, right, And Claiya gets very upset at watching this massacre and runs off to Luthen and also, like interestingly, like when Luthen knows that this is going to happen, he like chooses to like not watch. He's like, we don't need to be here, we can we can, we can just leave, but but Claia chooses to stay and watch and then runs back to him, and he he tells her we fight to win. That means we lose and lose and lose and lose until we're ready. All you know now is how much you hate you bank that you hide, that you keep it alive until you know what to do with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love both that. He's he's attempting to give her as much like agency as he can within this situation where he's also like crafting her into a person. And so like, if she decides she wants to go see this massacre, He'll let her do it. Like he's not going to he's not going to try to make her. But if that's what she wants, he's not going to stop her. And then when she's seeing what she needs to see, he's going to give her the best advice that he can give her. There's another line coming where's she asks if he's scared, and he's like, only about what I'm doing to you, right that like you, But he is still deeply he feels deeply compromised by this position he's put himself in with this only other person that he really can trust.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They do their first like large scale direct action together. Yeah, on the Emperor's home planet of Naboo. He teaches her how to blend into the surroundings as they remote debt night and explosive planted on a bridge, while in the present, Clia disguises herself as a nurse to disappear into the hospital where Luthern's being held, and blows up the hospital parking lot as a distraction to get to Lutheran. These two things mirror each other. It's like poetry at rhymes. Clia says to Luthin, you're afraid, He says, I'm only afraid of what I'm doing to you, as he hands this child a detonator. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, she's not willing to she can't make herself use it yet.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like she was almost willing to psych herself up. Luth and actually took it away and had himself do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But that scene by itself where he's like telling her not to like look at it, to make sure you're like looking at me, only turn after everyone else has turned. Very fun stuff happening in Star Wars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's great, Like the whole the decision he made he makes here is like, like you see a lot about their relationship and again this like how deeply compromised he feels by it. Of both, like I have to get this person ready for what's necessary. And also I have to protect her from like the worst things that we're going to have to do together. Like, he does want to remain primarily the one complicit, so I think in part because he does believe, I mean fundamentally, that's the core of his character. He does believe she has a future outside.
Speaker 4: Totally is That's the entire point of what he's doing. Yeah, do you know what else is necessary, Robert.
Speaker 2: For us to throw to ads because otherwise we can't keep this moveable feast on the road.
Speaker 4: Okay, we are back back in the present day on Corussant. Claia finally reaches Luthen in his hospital room, and I guess, like leading up to this, to this moment, it's unclear if she's going to try to like rescue him, like like extract him, and no, there's no time for that. She takes him off life support and lets him die. There is no escape for his character. Yeah, Like Luthen never gets to see that sunrise, but he did everything he could to give the rebellion the best chance, and Claia gets to finish and like live out what he started. He wants to give Claia that sunrise and like this this relates to his core motivation as a character. He's not getting revenge against the Empire for killing his family or something like that kind of cliched stories is not what they're doing here. Instead, this is all all about Clia. Yeah, it's about how he's like found Claya and both of them are broken by what he has done. So then he spends the rest of his life building the rebellion for Claia so that she can live on and she can beat the Empire. And that's the entire point of him. Like that, that is what's driving him. He is like the most selfless character. Tony in an interview said, quote, there are only a certain number of reasons that you can change your life, and one of them is just absolute self discussed. So we found a way for him to have a belly full of it at the right moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love that that, Like, that's his whole motivation ultimately is like undoing the only part of what he was involved in that he can undo, which is saving this person. And like saving this person involved destroying the thing that took her life away from her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the entire apparatus of the Empire yeah, yeah, I think we're kind of wrapped up with this episode here, but like the Clay hospital like infiltration sequence is superb, so good, like one one person doing all of this stuff to the absolute befuddlement of like the Imperial Troopers. She's really embodying the line from Rogue one, make ten men feel like a hundred Yeah, and yeah, she's able to infiltrate this hospital, like she's working with a team of like ten people and it's and it's just her shout out to the Granny alien in the elevator, very very great little comment.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but unlessly either have anything else to say about episode ten.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I like this. This is obviously like my favorite episode of this particular batch.
Speaker 4: Maybe the best in the whole series. Like this is absolutely yeah.
Speaker 2: I love the Luthen and Claya moments. I love seeing like how at the same time this like hint when you're seeing them kind of haggle over the price of this antiquity that they've got that like, Okay, So Clay always had this degree of like cunning and this ability to kind of like recognize what's going on, which probably hows you survived in the first place. Right, she's she was always someone who saw more than other people, which.
Speaker 4: She's the girl's Yeah.
Speaker 2: And at the same time, you get this piece of Luthan like there must have been like whatever he was before he joined the military, it was somebody who had this kind of deep knowledge of antiquities and probably this desire to make something of his life other than what became of it and all that he's got left of it is like utilizing that real piece of himself to make a fake person, right, Like that's which is such an interesting character beat for him, that like this, this thing that is probably closest to the real Luthan, the one that existed before his military service, before the Empire ruined him, is completely remade in the service of making himself into something he's not.
Speaker 6: So when I first saw this, I was really worried because I think one of those interesting parts about Clay as a character is that she is the only person that Luthen trusts absolutely right, She's the only person that he She's fully as an equal. She's the only one who has all the information that he has. And you know, I was like kind of worried that it was Okay, Well, now she's effectively his daughter, and it's like, no, it's actually like she is still the only person like even though Luthen has been sort of raising her is like he's been trying to raise her as an equal as much as much as he possibly can. I think that's a really really yeah, sort of fascinating like way for this thing to have gone.
Speaker 4: Like the actress of Claiya has said, like, like from Claya's perspective, like she doesn't really fully see Luthen like as her father figure because like inherently like he was like involved in the actual killing of like of her family, like she she is she has found a way to kind of love him through that. But it's it's not like it's not like that that like immediate familial love like it's it's it's it's a different rationalization that she can still like give him like a final kiss on his deathbed and like does like does care for him, but like it's so much more like complicated and murky and like like roped in with politics and roped in with Yeah.
Speaker 2: But here's here's the thing what I'll say about that, And and this is kind of my favorite part of that is I can see how she would be like this feeling I have towards him, like isn't like what someone would feel towards a father. But also she doesn't really know how people feel about their parents because she didn't get to have them very long.
Speaker 4: Keep people can't feel like that can feel about their father.
Speaker 2: Feeling both this deep sense of love and disgust towards your parents isn't normal experience, and she just doesn't writ I think maybe there's a degree in which she doesn't even really realize how how.
Speaker 5: Common that is because of.
Speaker 4: No, that's a good point. That's a good point. Yeah, all right. Episode eleven, who else knows? Krenick and Dedra queen out together? Hell yeah, look at look at them? Go so tetris in this interrogation chamber and Credit grills her about how this piece of information good, so good, how this piece of information has escaped containment and Dedra's Dedra's face strote this whole scene, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: She comes into it. You can tell she thinks I'm gonna get out of this. I'm gonna talk my way out of this. Yeah, surely I will sort this all out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, Once she realized this that this is actually about like the leakage of like the death Star plans and not just a simple raid on a rebel like weapons dealer. She realizes the kind of gravity of her situation. She she complains about how like he's been forced like scavenge for information because there's not like an efficient, efficient intel sharing operation across different imperial branches. H and Credit says to her, if you're not a rebel spy, you missed your calling, which is the biggest insult you could say. Oh my god, this destroys her. Yeah, like this is the this is the same mistake that like Cyril makes. Right, they're trying to like to like do this like try hard stuff.
Speaker 2: You think initiative is rewarded here exactly. Yeah, yeah, you know, you follow orders. You do not take your own initiative. You are not your own person. You follow what you're told to do. You don't take things into your own hands. This is how the whole system crumbles. Yeah, it's phenomenal.
Speaker 4: How like she is so much like you know, like it's especially in Cyril's eyes, right, she is like everything that he wanted to be but like couldn't and yet she has all the same flaws as him. They're both children trying to like grab and sees their spot like in the in the imperial world, and they can never escape the logic of children. Yeah, it's phenomenal. So so yeah, basically because because she was sent memos accidentally, she was accidentally added to HOO THEPC small group. Uh, she had she had information on the desk that she shouldn't have that she sorted that she stored on her computer that then Lonnie was able to access with like a stolen code cylinder, and this is why she's detained.
Speaker 2: And I love to that. Lonnie makes a statement that like he didn't tell Luthen he had this because he's like, well, you would have made me use it? Well, yeah, I did, super cool, And there's this yeah, like Lonnie has gotten very good at this, like he was right to not tell his boss.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you share and sometimes you don't. And yeah, yeah, no, like the idea of him holding onto this code cylinder this this whole year, knowing that you can only use this once before you're kind of found out, and then like waiting until he's heard chatter that like Luthin's gonna get raided, uses the cylinder, then discovers all these other files. It it shows how like important Luthin's operation is. Like this is I think what these last episodes are really about is kind of like, yeah, the redemption of Luthen in the eyes of the other rebel agents. So so yes, Dedra is completely fucked and it's hilarious and Ben Mendel is trancing around the scene.
Speaker 2: He's having such a good time.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 6: This is like it's like this and and the thing where he's going cow kite.
Speaker 4: Episode, he's so good.
Speaker 6: It's only his two best Like yeah, it's also just really like god, they didn't let him cook a and or like oh it's him written like.
Speaker 4: You know, oh yeah, but.
Speaker 6: It's like it's like like these it's like you mean about this series is you've been getting to watch yeah, sorry, yeah, Rogue one. Yeah, it's like you've been getting to watch these people who have just been playing like kind of generic Star Wars characters and you get to watch.
Speaker 4: Them cook and it is a thing of beauty. The real freak gets to be let out because they're all freaks.
Speaker 2: There's that glorious moment when she realizes how fucked she is when he puts his finger on.
Speaker 4: Her hand.
Speaker 2: Like she's just an odd she's there for him to act off. She's right, she's a button.
Speaker 4: We can push you when, we can push you when we desire to. But you know, you don't go off by yourself. It's phenomena.
Speaker 2: And he's turning her off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he has this line where he's like, you think I would come here for the death of an ISB clerk, Say say.
Speaker 4: The word it's phenomenal. Yees, say the word death star. Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, he turns her off and is like, yeah, we'll get it. We'll get by without you somehow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hopefully, hopefully we'll be able to get by without you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's so funny because like he is just he is nuking her. There's nothing left after this. And also they can't say actually, actually he's dead in like two.
Speaker 4: Days, Target literate his ass with.
Speaker 2: The bargain's about to be sick dust and everyone else. Yes, everyone's a button.
Speaker 4: And it's crazy how much of like the is B gets totally wiped out, like the week of the Death Stars destruction like this shows like the real decline of the Empires. It's like this, like administrative, bureaucratic state that's been running the real day to day operations gets completely wiped out. And now these two like scith lunatics have to personally run everything themselves and they can't do it. They just can't. They were they were relying on all of like the republic holdovers that actually knew how to like run like run a state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these guys like Laren and whatnot who were like harm job yes yeah yeah, oh part of gas and they all get iced out.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, I mean, and this is this is a dynamic that I think, like because like everyone you were trained from birth in the US to know the like the revolution of ours a children.
Speaker 4: Thing, and the Empire ever talks about this.
Speaker 6: Just like no, the liquida should rate for these.
Speaker 4: People is astonishing.
Speaker 6: They also all like turn through these people, and it's like you can you can watch like Vader doing this to people. We're like Vader, Like Vader just keeps fucking killing his officers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, on his Superstar Destroyer all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, and and what we what we see throughout and Or is rebels fuck up all the time. They fail all the time. We see moments of failure from Luthen, we see them from Cassi in we see them from Draven and they guys at Indoor bail Mon Mathma. They all fuck up, and then they get the chance to learn from their mistakes and get better, which is ultimately why they win.
Speaker 4: And that privilege is never an extended no to the Empire.
Speaker 2: Even if you're really good, you're going to make some mistakes and the first time you do, Darth Vader chokes you to death, and so the Empire never gets better.
Speaker 6: It's just because this was a point in the old Canyon where like one of the one of the arguments of like why the rebels won the war was like X wings have shields, yeah, and tie fighters don't, and you could so you can make a mistake in an X wing, but if you make say a tie fighter, just doe. So the rebel pilots end up being better than the imperial ones because they survive. And there's there's this other like there are lots of these interesting parallels too, where like the death of the Administrative State was also sort of an old canon thing where it's like, so the way it plays out in the old canon's like at endor and this like is the thing that you canon too, I guess but like all of the best officers are trying to get promoted up the ladder, and so they're all on the Emperor the Emperor Superstar Destroyer. Yeah, and when that thing goes down, it's like yeah, it like and this is this is partially just a thing that also about like how imperial administration works is how centralized it is, is that they have single points of failure.
Speaker 4: And this is for example, Haberdijia fell.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, they put.
Speaker 4: Up and it's like we don't have a state.
Speaker 6: Anymore because everything's so centralized and it being so centralized and everyone being so essential, and also you killing all these people because your organization doesn't tolerate a failure. It just it creates these discscading failure points where you knock out a couple of people on it and suddenly it's like everything's destroyed.
Speaker 4: I do want to return to the point of kind of how fastiss in like eth the zone at the end, because Tony has some quotes on that. I'm just gonna speed run through these next few kind of points here. The ice be tracks Klay's movements via hospital security cameras, even though she tries to avoid an evade detection. She is basically stuck on Corussant and starts hiding out in the old safe house, broadcasting an emergency pulse code to her comrades on Yavin. Meanwhile, a divorced Cassian and Melchie get drunk and start bullying their autistic robot friend while playing poker.
Speaker 6: So good, it's so funny cases, Hey, I know, oh, I know, I'm well aware. I am the sober autistic girl in every one of these things.
Speaker 2: Well, and they understand the most important thing about television sci fi, which is a robot awkwardly playing poker with a human friend.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: Data K TWOSO holding hid me and.
Speaker 2: I love the K two s O is also constantly being like, you guys are drinking a lot, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: When they're about to go on this last mission, Cassian isnically drunk driving. Yeah, he is one and a half shot away from blacking out. It's time to pilot a spacecraft.
Speaker 7: Most most realistic insertions like no one will be this drunk again until like no, like many many years later in this galaxy, until like there's until like civil war generals, Yeah, are finding each other's next time, and we'll be this drunk.
Speaker 2: Ulyssie Simpson Grant is the last person to be as drunk as Cassian and or was in this scene.
Speaker 4: Woman's old like Luthen radio goes off with an as West message. She takes it to Cassian, who then yeah, drunk drives there, you way off Yavin.
Speaker 2: And let's let's have a shout out to our man Draven here. Who is he? He's kind of he's kind of he's kind of based like I love. I love that they managed to both make him be. He has to be the foil to Cassian because Cassian does not want this chain of command bullshit. He's so sympathetic, but he's not wrong, and he's not a dick. He's like, look, man, I've got like four hundred other freighters. I'm worried about right now, those shipments of rifles that I that I have to keep. I have to keep all of this in my head. I can't write any of it down. I haven't slept in days. I ate nothing, but Tom's like, I can't even drink hot coffee because otherwise my fucking ulcers light on fire. I don't even remember when I hate solid food. My ibs has ibs. Can you please stop taking off in the middle of the night.
Speaker 4: It's so funny that the thing Cassian does at the end of Rogue one, it's just like a regular currents on the face he's doing this, but no, like like consistently Draven, even even if he gets pissed off, the Cassian consistently has his backstill, which is I think, really really yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Krenik realizes how fucked they are and tries to get the entire ice B immobilized to locate Claia as she is probably in possession of the death Star intel quote. There will be no horizon to the scope of your inquiry. And this is where we have some of the most interesting stuff from Partigas and how he views like rebellions and revolutions as a disease. And this relates to some of his lines from season one where he describes the ISP as quote unquote healthcare providers. We treat sickness, We identify symptoms, We locate germs, whether they arise from within or have come from the outside. The longer we wait to identify a disorder, the harder it is to treat the disease unquote. And then when the ice P decides on what grounds they are looking to apprehend Clia Partogras proclaims that quote she's diseased. She escaped the hospital with infectious condition that threatens everyone with whom she may come into contact.
Speaker 6: I'm so glad they did this because this is such a core part of the ideology of fascism, right of seeing seeing that the body is a nation and there being these sort of like parasitic infections that are inside the nation that are like undermining it. That's that's like just the core of fascism. And you're just getting You're just getting to watch like the people in the middle of the Empire just literally trying to do the thing and in the most literal way possible, right Like they're just they're just coming out and saying what the ideology is and how it works.
Speaker 4: And I it may it may.
Speaker 6: Still be a level of metaphor that is slightly too high for the average Star Wars viewer, but they are just telling you the politics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, while stuck in an ic be holding cell with with with an unbuttoned collar, the detra is crashing out and you can tell because the caller is unbuttoned, but somehow she is still able to give the ISB a lead to track Claya through her use of obscure radio signals. Yeah, one of the cool parts here is an Imperial radio technician is impressed at Lusen's radio setup and can and can't help but be excited when like learning how it works. But they say that Luthan targeted the storage files and the radio signal library when he burned the console, but still they were able to track Claya's pulsecode to a nearby apartment on Coruscant, and in preparation for the raid on the safe house, the ice Peed jams calms around the area right as Cassian, Melchi and K two arrive to extract Claia. As Cassie gets into the apartment and finds not Luthan but Claia and then tries to plead with her to come to Yavin. He also like kind of lambass Luthen for not coming to Yavin sooner because he couldn't swallow his pride, and Claia says, quote, thank the Galaxy, he didn't. He stayed for this that people in Yavin have to know what they're up against. Think, thank the Galaxy. He did it so good. All right, let's go on break and then we'll return to discuss the final episode. Okay, we are back. Episode twelve. Jetta kiber urso so Cass is trying to convince Clia to leave, like right now, right this very second, please dear clot come with me, and Claya is still like kind of pissed up with the whole situation, like Gavin after all these years, what a bitter ending. Cass tries to argue that if she comes, she's helping to keep Luthan alive, which she calls big words the Imperial Swat Team importantly not stormtroopers. Instead, these goofy s swat guys surround the apartment trying to locate Claya. As the ISB locates Cass, Claya, and Melchi, they throw a stun grenade, which, this is very interesting to me, does not really affect Cass and Melchie as much like Claya gets knocked out, but the Narkina five prison shocks conditioned Melchi and Cass against the sun grenade. Yeah, which is again phenomenal.
Speaker 2: It's so good and I think just generally like Claya has again Luthen has protected her from a lot of like the direct she doesn't have CTE. Right, if Cassie and had lived another thirty years, like his fucking brain would have been melting because he's been around too many goddamn explosions and he's been electrocute and the same things to a melchie, right, they just barely feel it.
Speaker 4: But to be fair, it's not like she hasn't blown up a bunch of things.
Speaker 6: She's had a distance from a distance, we just watch her liquidate an entire Imperial Security compliment to go kill Luthen.
Speaker 4: Like, it's not like she hasn't done this.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, But she's raised by an old soldier who does the responsible thing that you do if you have the experience, which is you tell the younger people, no, no, no, use your ear pro for no, give further back. I know you don't think you need to be, but get further back, like my ears ring all the time. Don't fucking take risks. I also kind of what I wonder if maybe there's a level of protection from the stand grad age you get again when you are still right on the edge of a blackout.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's compelling. So as K two just completely demolishes this Imperial team. Uh, the the i SB calls for backup, but everyone is spread too thin because they're searching for the emergency disease warrant from partagraphs.
Speaker 6: So good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Claya does get to Yavin, and here we see a lot more of like the tricky aspects of Yavin politics. Saw is kind of getting impossible to deal with. He is haffing way too much fuel.
Speaker 2: He's huffing an amount of fuel. I don't know if I'm gonna say it's too much, but I do. His insistence where they're dude, we know you're we know you're on Jetta's we know no idea, you.
Speaker 4: Don't know where I am?
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah's trying to argue with him about about how they're trying to get to the bottom of like the Imperial kiper minding on Jetta and they're like, we know you're on Jetta, and he tries to deny it. You don't know where I am? Yes, we do.
Speaker 6: There's also this great thing at the end of that where Moths like, we're just trying to help you. And then and Saw just cuss the line and I think it's Draven. Whatever the the Rebel intelligence. Ghoul in the room cuts the line and Moss was kind of just going like uh, and he goes, oh, no, we've absolutely.
Speaker 4: Been sending spies into his group, and.
Speaker 2: She's been We've been bugging him. He's He's absolutely right.
Speaker 6: It's something I think it's interesting about because, like it in Rogue one, Saw is like seems like such an unbelievably paranoid asshole.
Speaker 4: It's like, no, like the.
Speaker 6: Rebels really have been like trying to the rebels and the Empire really have been trying to infiltrate his group for like so fucking long that he's completely lost his mind from just like the paranoia.
Speaker 2: Also, he is canonically again a forty six.
Speaker 4: Puffing all that fuel really does rapid age you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's not great for you.
Speaker 4: So then we have, I guess the most frustrating part of the episode, Like good but frustrating to watch with this this this Rebel spokes Council meeting about Luthen and the Death Star intel. Oh my god, are these people annoying? Uh yeah, what pieces of shit? These people, These people who have like done basically nothing. Yeah, they're senators, Who's like, who who have who have defected to Yavin, and they don't know the cost of things that that they're actually dealing in. Bail says that that Luthen stayed on Corussants too long and again no, no Luthen state for this piece of information.
Speaker 5: M hm.
Speaker 4: And and Mon's getting kind of increasingly frustrated as everyone's kind of like bad talking Luthen. Again. We we We've been very clear on the show about Lusen as a complicated character with some people more pro Luthin than others. But and And a man like Mon herself, has a lot of reservations about Luthen, but yeah, she also knows is like her directly and everyone else are only here in part because of what he's done. And that's not saying he was right about every single thing, but he he but that still is true, right like he this is he is still very important to this. And everyone's being quite dismissive of Cassian and and and the intel from Luthen and Cassian kind of gets you know, put into put into confinement, and and gets dismissed and requests to visit Claya in the hospital. And this is where Mon finally speaks up and immediately grants him permission because like she's she she knows all these people, like like the she's and she's the only one on on this little council that like knows all of these people and knows like how much they have sacrificed. Yeah, but still like mon Mon is still like a good operator here. And she asked her cousin Vell to like talk with cassiean and like suss out how real this death Star intel is. When Belle does this, she doesn't try to do it like covertly. She likes talks to Cassie ad very like flatly, being like hey, like mom, set me here to try to figure out if if this is legit? Is is this legit? And they discuss the intel. Meanwhile, Claia gets up from like her like medical medical bay and starts walking around Yavin in the rain and like, oh my god, somebody please hug her, like someone like do something like she should not be left alone, like she's had one of the one of the most traumatic days of her life. Someone like take care of her. And Bell runs into Claia and like Vell and Clay have had like kind of a kind of like a dicey relationship, but like in this moment we see like just the importance of like sheer solidarity and Vell like cares for her, gets her to like cover, gives her like a place to sleep, and it's a really touching scene.
Speaker 6: And I want to talk about this moment a little bit because I think it's an interesting character thing with Claia here, where Claya, who had this entire show, is the only character who has to put together the entire time. Yeah, Like even partigast At like the very end starts to sort of crack, right, Claia is the one character who, like when everyone is falling apart around her, when Andre is falling apart, when when like even when Luthen is falling apart, Clay, Clay is always on it, fuck you pulling myself together. You have to hold this together. Yeah, And it's like her and you have this bot like her task. This is when she's finally is able to break. Yeah, she's been holding in so much. Yeah yeah, yeah, Like one her task is finally over and so she can like let herself fall apart. And two it's like a thing that could finally actually drive her to fall apart is the fact that she just had to fucking to kill Luthan kill the person who raised her. Yeah, she had to fucking kill Lutheran and then get out. And you can see this thing where that I think is like very familiar to a lot of people were like she's been. And she also has to hold all this information in her head because if she forgets any of the information that she's been told by Lutheran, the rebellion is doomed. And and and when Ander like first meets her on Corrusons, she's just like spilling it out, springing it out. She's out jumble of words. Yeah, and it's like and it's and it's a thing where like she's she's finally reached the point where it's like she has one last thing to do and she can fall apart, and then she can finally, instead of having to be the one who's caring for literally everyone and holding literally everyone else together, she can finally like.
Speaker 2: Rest.
Speaker 6: And she doesn't know how to do that because she's always had to be the one who's holding everything together this entire time.
Speaker 4: I do love the moment when Lutherin first gives her the information and he like forces her to like repeat it back to him, like make make sure you can you can express it to me. And then she does the same thing to Cassian, and Cassian like doesn't like Cassian doesn't repeat it back to her. And but yeah, like like that small like you know, like like you have to have like a ritual, you have to have like you have you have have like a protocol to make sure you actually like to make sure that I know you actually have this information, you need to like express it back to me. Yeah, it's it's just a nice little short moment. In the next morning, we see Cassian taking care of Bix's plants. Good for him. Yeah, And then this is when cass and Vell talk and they say that they're gonna drink to luthen Justice once, which again Cassiean's drinking right in the morning, good time.
Speaker 2: As soon as you like he does every day.
Speaker 4: Yes, But but they say, like we can't toast them all like Lieutenant Gornmic Santa Feryx, Marva Gorman, the El Donnis. And one one short little tidbit here Vell talks about how there's people falsely claiming that they were part of the El Donnie crew, which is the most accurate thing I have ever seen, where.
Speaker 2: They're like everybody keeps taking credit for this, and she's like, man, if someone did that in front of me there and.
Speaker 4: I killed him. Yeah, I was like, they're the only two people from the old Donnie Raids still still live, and like, yeah, like the idea that we're getting like rebel stolen valors, but very realistic, you know. I actually I actually punched Richard Spencer as like as like a fourteen year old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very weird, pretty cool. Yeah.
Speaker 4: We then start hearing Nemeck's manifesto playing, and it's unclear that if there's playing it like for the show, but then we yeah, but then we realized that it's partographs listening in the Imperial Security Bureaus briefing room, and it's it's a really wonderful thing to return to. Yeah, and one of protographs is like you know, Underlings walks up to him and says like it just keeps spreading, doesn't it, And he says it's been hard to contain again, using this like a disease like rhetoric. He then asks for a moment to collect himself and then shoots himself in the head. This is one of the most fascinating parts of the show, like like knowing like the kind of the tear that he's going to face for like for failing, while also being confronted with like how much of his work for the Empire has been worth it? Like it's it's not his emotions here are not clearly laid out to you, because it's more interesting for you to think about them yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I've seen everything from like, oh, he realizes he was wrong to he realizes like the Empire is the disease or just he realizes the disease got out of control, like more than they had realized.
Speaker 4: But either the punishment he could be facing from the Empires not worth it like he is he is he's a career man. And why would he be sent to Narkina five? Like he is not going to El Salvador. Finally, Cassian is sent to meet a source on Kafring. That's that's one of the guys infiltrating saws operation to learn the location of Gala Urso, the designer at the Death Star. And we have this final montage across all of our characters. We have Man and Vell having breakfast with the grunts. You have divorced Parrin flying flying around on Coruscant. You have Dedra in a Narkina prison, and Claya gets to see the life of the rebellion, Saws at Jedda, Kredit is at the death Star be too, Emo has a new friend, and Bix is holding a baby watching the sunrise.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: So I want to talk mostly about Bix here, but first I think mon eating with the rebel troops is like very cool to have her just like with the regular people. She's not like with like bail and like not like like often like a special like counselor's room. She's like like just with everyone. We'll also talk a little bit about Claya here as well, but I think I think I want to just do Bix to start, if that's okay, sure, sure, yeah, yeah yeah. So Tony has talked a lot about this ending scene and about how he wanted to end with a sense of hope and like the hope for like life beyond you know, the empire, like like life beyond imperial oppression, and and Bix with the babies was to like symbolize this, and Bix is literally like looking at the sunrise right like the and this this metaphor of the sunrise has been something for Luthin, how he's never gonna get you actually get to see like life beyond the Empire, and he knows that he sacrificed that. It also calls into calls into view a Cassian dying at like the false sunrise of the Death Star. And I've seen I guess some people upset about Bicks just you know, being like off planet with a baby and feeling this is a kind of like relegating her character. And I think that there's a lot of things going on here. This show goes so so like way way beyond like simple politics of like representation and like voc casting right, which can often end up feeling like shallow boxes to check, because this show actually like depicts things like carceral injustice, manufactured consent for genocide, how structural patriarchy drives imperial oppression. Like the depth of the political mechanisms the show is tackling, I think is so much more worthwhile, and it's it's not immune to criticism for those reasons. But I think that aspect can be overlooked oddly. I think it'd we kind of like take for granted, like how good the show is at so many aspects, so many aspects of politics, and like this show specifically has women and in so many different roles beyond like the you know pop feminist girl boss Badass, which has been linked to Star Wars through Lea Ahsoka and to a lesser extent like Ray and Jim, and this trobe is itself kind of low key misogynistic. But in and Or, we have mon Mathma, we have Vel, we have Sinto, we have Claya, we have Dedro, we have Marvel, we have Bix, And I think motherhood is something that characters should be allowed to embrace. And like motherhoods always had a very tricky relationship with Star Wars because of Padme, But like, being a mom is not the issue with Bix's character. No, you can still critique how she was relegated to becoming like the punching bag for the show, but being a mother is like not bad. There's a quote from the Palestinian militant Leila Khalid like revolution must mean life, also every aspect of life, and she specifically referenced motherhood. And like Bix is a fighter, she is a survivor. She fights her way out of depression and PTSD, and she does spend years in age and revolutionary action, and yes, it may it may have been nice to see more of that revolutionary action on screen. We do see some it might have been nice, but this is also write a limited series show with a ton of characters, like four hundred speaking roles, and yeah, that is not been afforded to everybody, and that can be unfortunate. But I think I understand what's going on with this character, and I do not think the problem is the baby itself. I think that's actually fine, and her deciding after years of fighting to take like a few years off to have a baby should be viewed as a choice that like she's like allowed to make. I guess.
Speaker 2: I also think there's there's something like there's a lot of agency in the choice to like I'm done, but I'm not gonna make that decision for this other person for Cassian. Yeah yeah, but I don't know like it scanned to me. I do like thinking that in this last scene is where like watching these last bits of all our characters, you know, not only people have pointed out is Cassie and going to be dead in like two days, along with Ben Mendelssohn and shortly thereafter grandmav Tarkin, but like all the other stuff that's canonically going down, like right right as fucking Clea sees that first sunrise, Like you have to imagine Han Solo somewhere is doing a line off of like a space prostitute in some sleazy bar. It's like four am in the morning where he is. He hasn't slept in days. You know, Luke Skywalker is looking at his on uncle being like, well, they're never going to be lit on fire, obviously. Just beautiful to.
Speaker 4: Kind of reiterate on the point about how like fascism that also eats its own is something that Tony has discussed before, specifically in relation to like Cyril and Dedra and protographs.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 4: Tony says, like quote, fascism doesn't just take down the oppressed, It doesn't just come for the people trying to control. It inevitably destroys the people who have worked the hardest to build it. And that's been true all through history as well. In a different interview, he says, the empire is just shattering, fragment and grabbing, destroyed and taking, and then the people that are doing it on the imperial side are all isolated. They think they're part of something, but really they're not. Look at what happens to Dedra, Look at what happens to Potographs, Look what happens to Cyril Karn he tries to believe in the dream. It's the carelessness and the cruelty and the lack of empathy. That's what I'm pitching. Even in this little final montage, we have this brief shot of Parin, which is interesting. That's man Mathma's a strange husband, I guess. And Tony has discussed paren as well, and during like the wedding scene, we learned that that as a kid, like while he was in school, he was kind of a a quote unquote political fire brand, and he has sacrificed that a little bit. Tony says, quote there are a lot of sacrifices in this show, all variety of sacrifices. He's made his sacrifice for hedonism. He doesn't look happy in that car unquote. Now I do like the little wrap up we have we have on parents' character there.
Speaker 2: Although I also love if you'll notice he's with the wife of the Golden daughter off too. It's that you have to assume has gotten purged at this point because they realized that he had been funneling funds to the rebellion. But I I do like we even get that this is this is the only little private rebellion that he can manage right now as he's he's fucking this guy's wife.
Speaker 4: Everyone has, Everyone has their own rebellion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man.
Speaker 4: I guess I finally, I at least for me, I guess part of me wanted to see more of like the development of Yaffin as like how like revolutionary celles come together. And Tony has addressed this as well, quote Yavin makes me nervous if you want to know the truth. There's things about Yevin that make me nervous, and the logic about Yavin that makes me nervous. Even within the Star Wars cannon, the security there and how some people know about it but the ice Bea doesn't know about it. And there's some places where you don't want to poke to aggressively because you don't really want to get into the undercarriage. That was a place where I didn't really want to get into the undercarriage very much. That's that is that is understandable. And then finally on Clay and Luthen and specifically like Clia's last look there, like in the morning after her walk in the rain, after all of this, you know, frustration between like Luthen and Yavin. Tony says, quote Cleia and Luthen are over amplifying the distrust and hate in the same way that some of the people on the Alliance are over ramping the disagreement. I think one of my favorite moments in that montage at the end is when clay A wakes up the next morning after her night in the rain, and she looks out and sees that there's people running and people caring supplies, and she's seen how big Yavin is. And there's this mona Lisa's smile that she has that's almost beginning to take pleasure in some sense of ownership of what she's helped create. She realizes how much of a contributor, how much of an investor, she and Luthen are in Yavin. She's watching the people there and just a little moment of pride comes on her face that she warms up just a little bit and begins to take ownership of the rebellion. That's everything to me, unquote.
Speaker 6: There's something I love about Yavin. Well, you get to see sort of the beauty of it and the beauty of what's going to destroy the empire where it's like you keep just seeing like people who survived all of this shit and make it to yav And like Meshi is like the other survivor of the Narkina FIV like prison break, right, and he's like one of the people going on with the indoor the what's the what's the what's the other rebellion twinks name the kid throw the kitty through the brit Yeah, Willman, Willman's French resistance girlfriend makes.
Speaker 4: It there, and like all of these like and you.
Speaker 6: Get this this little microcosmos, like all of these people who are like the survivors of all of these imperial sort of like horrors like have gathered in this place and it's like these are the people who are going to destroy the empire. And I think something really beautiful about that. And then I also think there's a really interesting thing in in the Yavun politics we do see, which is that like you know, so like I get I am notoriously the shows like luth and hater. I'm not really a hater of Luthen. I just I just don't want the most annoying people in the world to try to replicate him in real life. But also like the central rebel command is a shit show. It's complete disasterate. They're like top down hierarchical command from that council. Those people at every every single instance of this attempt to lose the boar, Right, they're too pissed off at Luthan to like listen to the information that he literally fucking died to give them, right, Like this entire operation a bit about giving them the information to destroy the super weapon that will destroy the empire, and they don't want to listen to it. They like in Rogue one, like that council tries to surrender, like they literally vote to be like yeah, sorry, we can't fight the Empire.
Speaker 4: They're too strong.
Speaker 6: And then like the rebel military defects and this is not the fact, like they say disrection, they go right, they rebel Yeah, they go rogue and they and they're the ones you do this. And I think it's this interesting thing here. As much as Gilray doesn't want to like touch Yavin that much, there's this there's an interesting political dynamic of like yeah, okay, so like we finally developed this sort of like centralized political force capable of bring all these things together, and they're useless. They are worse than useless. They they they nearly destroy the rebellion that they had been sort of like trying to together on multiple occasions. And they're only stopped by doing that by these sort of like unhinged gorilla like people who are completely out of control and like these like rogue operator people who.
Speaker 2: Are fundamentally like the the inheritors to Luthan's legacy, right, like which is Cassie in Yeah.
Speaker 6: By the actual rebels, not the fucking senators. And I think that's like a because I've been I've been seeing there's been I've been seeing some small attempts to like recuperate mon Mathma from this.
Speaker 4: It's like, no, Matha's the only senator who backs the.
Speaker 6: Like go for it, like we're we're carrying out this ray to see the desk star plants, like she's the only one, right, And I think there's this is this is like the fund the actual fundamental break here is between these people. Is it's like when when when the chips are down, are you willing to fight? And most of the sort of like like liberal sort of like defecting noble leadership isn't except for Mathma, and she should. And so it's like I want to go down fighting, and that's.
Speaker 2: The fundament I'm gonna go down swinging. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: And that's the fundamental difference between like someone who politically I don't like, like the Marquis Lafayet, like that motherfucker went down swinging like he. That man, at every single point of his life was always funding an insurrection, was always like I will take let's.
Speaker 2: They're a punch. Let's they're a punch. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then and it's like you can compare that to like the German liberals or like like the liberals who when Pinochet like takes power, were like, yeah, when when Pinochet called them all to like report to like have meetings with the government, they all went, yeah, we're gonna go report to like talk to the secret police, and they all got like killed, right, And that's the different between those those two things, and that I think is a really really is a crucial political distinction to draw out is like it's not even necessarily like your class background, it's not even necessarily like what your politics are because a lot of these people believe the same things. It's like when when the chips come down, will you fight or will you try to surrender?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And that's the thing I think, I don't know like that, that's to me, the best part of and Or is like that. And I think that's the part of it that's like being set up in this episode that I love.
Speaker 4: The very last thing I'll say, because this has gone on wait for quite a while, I'm sorry, is like I was talking with a friend after we watch these episodes, and we were talking about how this show really, in the end is a call for internationalism. Planets are stand ins for different countries and different cities, right, and like they aren't doing the full revolution on Correscant, like the Center for Imperial Power right the Imperial Core. There is some organization happening there, right, Like there is people based out of there. There's networking, right, like Luten's intel shop is there. But most of like the physical arm struggle is on other planets. The first base for the Alliance is built on the aff and four, but the rebellion isn't initially like overthrowing the Empire on Correscant, though through their interplanetary efforts, the whole galaxy gets liberated and the seat of power can be seized. And that's sort of like galaxy wide cooperation mirroring like a worldwide cooperation that we have like really like lost in the past past few decades. Yeah, I think is one of I think one of the points that that should be taken away from from and or here.
Speaker 2: Yep, all right, well I think that's our episode.
Speaker 10: Yep, bye everybody.
Speaker 4: This is it could happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis. Today I'm joined by Mia Wong, James Stout, and Sophie Lichterman. This episode, we are covering the week of May fifteen to May twenty. First, Joe Biden has prostate cancer. There's anti natalist terrorism, and the DHS is maybe gonna do a reality TV show. Probably not, but it's a bad plan. How are we doing this week?
Speaker 1: That was a trifector from hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so bad.
Speaker 4: This one's so bad.
Speaker 6: It's really I have to do the laughing like right here, because good lord, like, oh many many of these weeks are bad.
Speaker 4: This one's particularly bad.
Speaker 1: I don't know DHS reality show.
Speaker 4: We'll get to that at the at the ending segment. Sure, Hey, this is Gear from the Future cutting in. We recorded this a few hours before some pretty major news the shooting of two Israeli embassy staff in DC. We will be talking about this in next week's Executive Disorder, as well as the new budget bill, which targets trans healthcare. Now back to the episode. I think let's start with, you know, a brief acknowledgment of Joe Biden's prostate cancer. What was Jill doing to him? Oh?
Speaker 5: By god, Garrison, you could have said that start at the bottom, man, you didn't.
Speaker 4: I'm allowed to say that because I'm the most gay guy coded person on the podcast, which is saying something so so yes then and now, because we live in a truly sick world. Scott Adams couldn't even let.
Speaker 1: He could, He couldn't let him have his moment.
Speaker 4: He couldn't even let Joe Biden have his moment. This anti Biden hatred has transcended so far that Scott Adams couldn't even let Biden have his moment, and announced the same day that Scott Adams has the exact same type of prostate cancer. So to two down, Biden down, Dilbert down, Big week for prostate cancer and bloy.
Speaker 1: How do you have people been weird about it on the internet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not going to get into how long he maybe has known he's had it. He's he's had skin cancer moved before. I think that ship has mostly sailed. I think our opinions on Biden are pretty are pretty well, pretty well documented. Yeah, so I don't think we can dedicate much more, much more time to this.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: The one important note that I will say is if you have a prostate get check for prostate cancer. Yeah, like, yeah, get the screening.
Speaker 4: It's good, it'll help.
Speaker 5: You unless you are over seventy five, in which case I think most people don't get screened for it right because it's slow gross.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure Biden's over seventy five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's why somewhat I thought it was somewhat remarkable part of the issue there.
Speaker 1: I mean, all I can say is about once a month I think about how at the DNC those thank you Joe Chance lasted four seconds.
Speaker 4: I have actually been thinking about the thank you Joe Chance for a lot of this time yes week. Frankly, you had to be there. Yeah, it's one of the most it's one of the most horrifying, horrifying things. Hm as they let this like very clearly dying old man out to pasture, because like you know, kinds are diagnosis very clear, he was in some degree of decline. We don't need to retread this. This is this is pretty well known. But no, I have been thinking about how that whole auditorium broke out and chanting thank you Joe for like nearly five.
Speaker 1: Minutes, and then the following the rest of the week not a single mention it.
Speaker 4: Was done that day. It was wild anyways, So yeah, ri Ip Dilbert, I guess let's move on to anti natalist terrorism. So I've learned this week that people don't know what anti natalism is, which, as someone who grew up in Portland, is kind of surprising to me because there was some very very prominent, like anti needalist protesters who had set up downtown outside of Powell's books pretty frequently, and we kind of all grew accustomed to them, and honestly, I'm a little bit sympathetic to their arguments. I understand where they're coming from. Anti natalism is to belief that procreation is unethical. This could be based on the idea that there's been like this rapid increase in human population, which is done extensive damage to the planet, or that's simply being born is inherently a non consensual act, especially being born into a world with high levels of suffering. So these people opt to do not have children. As this ethical standpoint, everyone's entitled to their own choice. You don't need to agree with it, but whatever. Now, Interestingly, this past weekend there was a quote unquote active terrorism that has been linked to anti natalist philosophy. I'm just talking about this as it is an instance of kind of the brain ratification of this entire society and the reditification of terrorism, combined with this growing sense of like nihilism driving violent extremist actions. No one was killed except for the perpetrator alleged for perpetrator in this incident, but I still think this is worth talking about as it can be seen as in a sequence of weird terrorism. This is something that Roberts can be working on on for a piece later later down the line. Right, this is not the first car bomb this year. We had the Tesla Tesla cyber truck explosion earlier, which was similarly kind of a weird, a weird incident. Yeah, that one was.
Speaker 6: I think that one, I think was the official inauguration of the years of lead paint which were perpetually living in now.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I mean the gas leak heear if you will, Yeah, so yes. On Saturday May seventeenth, the car bomb went off outside a fertility clinic in Palm Springs, California, killing the suspect, twenty five year old man named Guy Edwards Barkas. The FBI is calling this a quote unquote intentional act of terrorism. The clinic was closed when the explosion happened. The building was severely damaged, but no embryos were harmed. Investigators believe that the suspect attempted to live stream the bombing, with a website being found online that appeared to be in connection to the incident, where the suspect describes himself as a quot unquote pro mortalist.
Speaker 5: Slightly slightly different from man.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 4: It is more of an affirmative version of anti natalism, where you want to actually take concrete steps to like decrease the population of the planet, not necessarily in a way that's like promoting like the mass killing of individuals. He says, quote understand, your death is already guarantee, and you can thank your parents for that one. All a pro mortalist is saying is let's make it happen sooner rather than later to prevent your future suffering and more importantly, the suffering your existence will cause to all other sentient beings. That's his definition of a promortalist. It can be linked to other philosophies that encourage like self harm and ending your own life as a conscious choice. On this website, he discussed his goal of quote sterilizing this planet of the disease of life unquote great and declared the need for a quote unquote war against pro lifers. His website also highlights other philosophies such as negative utilitarianism, ethlism, abolitionist veganism. Quote. Basically, philosophies that have realized religion is are worded that there is objective value in the universe and it lies in the harm being experienced by sentient beings. So although it may seem quote unquote dark, it's the polar opposite of nonsense like nihilism unquote. Negative utilitarianism is something that comes up a few times on his site as well. This is the viewpoint that instead of positive utilitarianism where we try to maximize, you know, human pleasure, this is trying to minimize suffering, human suffering and like the suffering tied to existence and the like aggurate suffering as well as if you if there's more people and there's going to be more suffering, so you should both make choices in your own life that that may that may limit your suffering, but also make sure that you don't reproduce, because then even more suffering will happen because of your actions through your children.
Speaker 6: This is the most bare is shit I've ever heard of my entire goddamn very West Coast.
Speaker 5: This is yeah, like twenty nine Palms is not It's not the West Coast.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of this is in conversation with like the rationalist subculture rationalist it's like it offers different solutions.
Speaker 6: These these people shouldn't be allowed to use computers for like fifty years, Like just a band on California using computers.
Speaker 4: This is all like deeply online stuff like these are these are popular websites, subreddits like YouTube channels. These are people who are dealing with like, you know, pretty intense existentialism depression, who then channel it into this like semi niche like online community and online philosophy. Now, Guy's best friend, a self described quote vegan rad femme, anti datist, recently arranged her own suicide by having her boyfriend to shoot her while she.
Speaker 1: Was what what what?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 4: Yes, this was This was the themer's best friend who died very recently, like last month. And Guy claims that they were both quote unquote anti sex missandrists with borderline personality disorder, and he admits that her death quote unquote put him over the edge.
Speaker 6: This is the most. This is the most online like like like best best friend anti natalist has her boyfriend shoot her is the most.
Speaker 4: Even though her her anti natalist tumblr page has like women loving women, anti gender ideology, miss andry stuff and yet still has a sister gender boyfriend. In many such cases, so yeah, you can see how this type of a community gets like fostered, and people make online friends and then encourage their own self destruction. Yeah, you have to destroy the Internet. A quote that he has on his website is quote I've known for years now that I wasn't going to allow myself to make it past my twenties unquote, And like this is a sentiment I hear even a lot of like young people saying, is it's like this like belief that they're not going to survive their twenties, Like like their belief that like the world is so bent on destruction that I'm probably not going to make it out of my twenties right now, and that that that changes the kind of choices that young people are making. And this is this is getting increasingly common.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure. I think it's a very different world to be growing up in than like the late teenage, early twenties of you know, like millennial people.
Speaker 4: The millennial world. It's very it's very different. Yeah, And you even had manifestations of this in that millennial era, right, I think it got kind of pushed into this like like nihilistic school shooter culture, which you still see remnants of now in the true krime of community. There is some crossover between an act like this and and some of like the school shooter fandom, the Columbiner stuff, especially considering the resurgence of Columbiner culture that we're currently seeing right now in the United States. But yeah, the general sense of like widespread dread and the interconnectedness of this is more unique.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 6: I keep thinking about that Hunter S. Thompson quote about like those poor bastard troop bonever nine to eleven don't know the party's over.
Speaker 4: The party is over, and yeah, welcome to help. So the suspect's dad said to reporters that guy had a childhood obsession with pyrotechnics. He set the family home on fire and burned it down he was nine. He made rockets, stink bombs, smoke bombs as a child. Videos on YouTube, likely posted by Guy show m eighties exploding in the desert, a hydrogen balloon being set a blaze, and a bucket of radioactive uranium.
Speaker 5: Or is that what did he obtain that like out there in Wonda Valley.
Speaker 4: This is still being investigated. His voice in these videos matches the thirty minute audio manifesto explaining his motivation for the attack, saying quote, Basically, it just comes down to I'm angry that I exist and that you know, nobody got my consent to bring me here. Basically, I'm anti life and IVF is kind of like the epitome of pro life ideology.
Speaker 1: This is out there, is.
Speaker 5: There any information on the I'm just because a lot of explosives and other munitions have gone missing. Twenty nine Palms people, that familiar is a town near ish to Palm Springs, nearer to Joshua Tree. There's a pretty big military base. Yeah. Yeah, it's the big marine Corde, like desert warfare training.
Speaker 4: Explosives have gone missing there before. The basic claims that they've been recovered. It is unclear what explosives he used at this point. It was a pretty large explosion. Investigators are low key impressed at this explosion, like.
Speaker 5: It was it was what they what they said in that official statement.
Speaker 4: If you read between the lines, they're like surprised at how effective this car bomb was. Again, this was a guy who spent a lot of time online, a lot of time on Reddit. It seems like he got obsessed with this. He had a fascination with explosives at a young age. So that obsession combined with this anti natalist obsession and this urge for self destruction manifested in this action.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: This this week, Reddit banned anti natalist anti life subreddit allegedly frequented by bomber. Dude.
Speaker 5: Just want to say that this is I think the only IVS clinic in the Kachiello Valley, So like for people who are accessing those services, that's a serious disruption, right M Yeah, that sucks.
Speaker 4: So I, me and Robert are going to talk more about kind of this trend that we're seeing in in extremism or in extremist acts. I still don't like the nihilist buy an extremism term, but we are seeing elements of that getting more and more common, especially combined with the true crime community, which essentially tries to encourage young girls to commit school shootings.
Speaker 5: M h yeah, I guess. To finish up, I just want to say that, like, I know, it's a really hard time right now. A lot of people are trying to find wayte of cope or feeling like they can't cope, or feel that they're not enough.
Speaker 4: I guess hopelessness. This sort of like existential nihilism.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'll combine that with a lot of people who work for the government fundly finding themselves out of work, and you know the economic pressure that puts on people, and I understand that people are pretty in a tough spot right now who want to save very briefly obviously, like the world is more beautiful with you in it. And if you're experiencing suicidal ideation or mental health struggles. A couple of resources I want to suggest the Fireweed Collective and the Jane Adams Collective. Adams spelled with two d's. There a double Dams. We will have links to both of them in the Showdoues. You can also put them into Dug dut go. And they were the first responses that came up for me. If you need those resources, reach out to those people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's good to see the sunrise, and it's better to see the sunrise with everyone you love in it. And yeah, that's that's a thing that you can make sure you do every day.
Speaker 4: All Right, thank you, James thanking me. We're gonna go and break and then come back to discuss immigration. All right, we're back, James. I see the amount of text you have.
Speaker 1: This is a very long section jail of text.
Speaker 4: I assume this is all good news, so let's hear it.
Speaker 5: All right, Garrison, I'm so glad that you have seen my wall of text. Because I have been looking at court documents for days. So much fun on pacer.
Speaker 4: You have been pacer posting in the group chats.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, I have been big the court listener as well. Okay, so this is one of the more insane things I've seen on pacer. In a minute, I'm talking about the case here of mister NM, who was identified at some point, and we'll get an m NM.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's not uncommon for migrancy in these kind of high profile cases to be anonymised where they can right, just for their safety. So NM received a final removal order in Nebraska in twenty twenty three, and on the seventh of May, DHS attempted to report to Libya. You'll remember that we colored that week's ed right. They did not manage to do that. And in this court case, we've seen from another detainee that one of these detainees was given a document to sign and told that he would quote be a free man in Libya after signing. Obviously unclear how one can be a free man when one is just dumped into a country, when one does speak the language, has no contact, there is a war.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make sense in any way.
Speaker 4: This man is not from Libya, that is correct.
Speaker 5: None of these people are Libyan.
Speaker 6: And again, whenever seven someone says the word Libya, you have to figure out which Libyan government you are talking about, because there are multiple of them, because there is a fucking civil war going on there right now.
Speaker 5: So yeah, and whenever someone talks about people being free in Libya, we should bear in mind that migrants are literally sold into slavery in Libya by both governments. Yes, M's English is limited. His main language is Karenne, which of course is a language that people speak in Cartule, the karen Home Lang, which part of Myanmar. On the nineteenth of this month, that's two days ago, I sent a notification to his lawyer saying that they'd read him a notice of removal in English that they were removing him to South Africa. Ten minutes later, they attempted to recall this message, and then later that same day they notified his lawyer that they'd once again read notice of removal to him in English that he was being removed to South Sudan. South Sudan the world's youngest country, if we're not familiar, a country that is in which conflict is escalating as we speak, government carrying out a barrel bombing campaign this very week. His council set up a video meeting at nine am on the twentieth, but just before that meeting, his council found out that he had already been removed. Mister m had refused to sign the order of removal to South Sudan. And we're seeing right now in a court case it's a class action. Mister NM is one of the members of the class right that there was a preliminary injunction against these people being removed because they are the same people who the Trump administration previously tried to remove to Libya, and at this point they tried to remove them to South Sudan. Before they are sent to these places, they're supposed to have a reasonable fear screening right. That is where someone can articulate if they have a reasonable fear of being removed to that country, right like if they will be persecuted there, they're likely to face torture or violence, or or be picked on because of who they are. Right then they're supposed to have a fifteen day opportunity to submit a motion to reopen. If the Department of Home out Security finds that they don't have reasonable fear. Right, So they're supposed to be this process where they can say I have a reasonable fear of going there, if I go there or be persecuted, and if the AHPs says nobody don't believe you, then they have fifteen days to submit more evidence.
Speaker 1: Right, are they being allowed to do that or no?
Speaker 5: No, got it? That is what this case hinges on. Right. So they were informed possibly hours before they were moved to South Sudan that they were being moved to South Sudan. Then they were taken to a secure facility where they couldn't contact their lawyers. And in at least the case of mister NM, he had scheduled an appointment with his lawyer and was deported before he could do so.
Speaker 4: Right, And this saven a few times before as well. Yeah, that's correct in the past few months.
Speaker 5: That's right. Yeah, And specifically, there was a priminary injunction against this right. So, quoting from Judge Murphy, who is judging the Massachusetts District Court where this is being held, the government's actions are unquestionably violative of this court order. The government said they have complied with my order because they didn't hear anyone yelling at their jailers that they are afraid to go to South Sudan. This is clearly insufficient. Yeah, so what he's articulating here is like this chance to articulate reasonable fear right. I do want to point out that in Biden's asylum ban that he passed in twenty twenty four, they move from a question of are you afraid to go back to your home country to what's called a shout test where the migrant has to articulate that reasonable fear unprompted right to have a chance at asylum in the United States. So it's again, like all these immigration things, I'm not saying things what the same under Biden, by I'm saying that there is a pathway to how we got here, and it goes through Biden's executive boarder.
Speaker 4: And like Miller is very willing to use anything in his toolbox.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah, and anything that look for decades, castal liberalism has built a series of tools which now lie in the hands of a very illiberal government right, and they are being used against people for whom those who supported castor liberalism may have some sympathy. That is how we got here.
Speaker 4: That's a good way of putting in.
Speaker 5: So the situation we are at right now is that these people were flown seemingly in a Gulf Stream jet. Gillian Brockhell, who's a formula Washington Post reporter who are going to have on the show next week, was able to identify this jet based on where it took off and its call sign. It's stopped in Shannon in Ireland. Notably, Shannon is an Irish civilian airport, right, It's not a US air Force base. This does raise some questions within Ireland, within Irish politics about Irish neutrality here. Right. The jet then flew onto Djibouti, which it is believed is where the migrants are right now, in court the discussion probably half an hour before we recorded this, DHS is claiming that they can do their credible fear interviews there on the tarmac in this plane, which people are saying is in Jibouti. Right, there's some suspicion that's in Djibouti. DHS is claiming that the location of the plane is classified, but this widespread belief that this plane is currently in Djibouti, including as I say, Julian was first and y T published something that didn't credit her, should have credited her. So to do the credible fear into you, right, they have to have a chance to research what will happen to them in South Sudan. They have to have access to a lawyer. Most of these people like mister NM will also have to have a translator. Right. Then will also have to have privacy, right, their credible fear may be something they don't want to share with everyone else on that plane.
Speaker 4: Because that could also put them in danger.
Speaker 1: Yes, also just like that's a baffling place to suggest somebody have that intimate or private of our conversation. It's just such a violation of their human rights.
Speaker 5: Yeah, many human rights being violated here. So yeah, I mean the US has a big base in Djibouti, right, so I imagine that's why they're there. Remember that they have that fifteen day period, So if DHS finds that they don't have credible fear, then they will have fifteen days right to bring another to reopen that. Where will they be housed somewhere in fucking Jibouti presumably if that's where they are, right, There are many many unanswered questions at this point. Now, last night we learned that one of the Burmese people, it appears that there are two Burmese people. We know this because the Department of Homeland Security today started tweeting shots of these people Jesus yeah and uh wow yeah, claiming that they were convicted of various crimes. Among them were Tubamese men and m appears to be Neio Miant and the other appears to be Cure Mea. Both of these men have been accused of various a big convicted, I believe of sex crimes. That's where they got their removal orders. Other people among the dozen or so people on the plane have been convicted of some of them like one of them is South Sudanese and he was convicted of removing the serial number from a firearm and of armed robbery, others, murder, and various other fairly serious crimes. Right, none of that means that you should just get dumped in seulth Sudan. Right, that's not a punishment in US, Lord, it is not a morally or legally acceptable thing to do.
Speaker 1: It's just truly baffling, honestly, Like, that's that's what they're doing, that's the move.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the move is to send Themselve Sudan, where it's worth noting that South Sudan's government have said it will probably send these people back to their home countries. Evidently the reason they are not being sent there is because they have articulated a fear of going there or they have protection it's called withholding of removal right, so they can't be removed to that country. And basically that is where we're at. Evdans they manage to remove apparently somebody to Burma today or late last night. I'm still waiting on my sources in mean Martin confirm that the Burmese hunter is as leaky as a sieve. Right, If those people are land that we will know about it pretty soon. We have pretty good sources in Burma, so if that happens, we will know. They also discussed another party, right, someone who goes by OCG a gay Guatemalon man who assertain credible fear of being returned while in immigration court. He was deported to Mexico, where he also asserted in credible fear. Mexico gave him a choice of remaining Mexico going to Guatemala. He went to Guatemala, where he is now in hiding. The DHS claimed he said he didn't have credible fear and then later reverse it, and so they didn't ask. So the judge is now asking how on earth they got this conclusion he didn't have credible fear and deported him. He's saying he might potentially put DHS officers on the stand to explain how this happened. In other immigration use ice just today, this is Wednesday has apparently been dismissing court cases against people who turn up before hearing an immigration court and then immediately arresting them. What the fuck? Right there is this fucking cross. Yeah, Like it's a little unclear what the move is here, but clearly they're trying to remove them in a more expeditious way. Right, they have a court case, try to remove this person, they're saying.
Speaker 4: Because the court case has, like you know, a certain amount of time needs to process. If they dismissed the court case, then they.
Speaker 5: Might have a right to appeal.
Speaker 4: And yeah, but if it's dismissed, then they can expedite other like non judicial removal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well they can do what they're doing here. Yeah, they can try and get and run people out before they have a chance to get to their lawyer right like. That seems to be the underlying team of all of these things, which is that your due process and your rights under the law are too time consuming, so we're going to try and make and run around your rights by sending you to somewhere fucking horrific. That is the underlying theme here. Unfortunately, this removal will likely now affect a lot more people because a Trump administration has removed the twenty twenty three Temporary Protected Status for Nezuelan people. We talked about TPSS in my Darian series. The TPS provides protection from deportation to people who are already present in the USA when it passes. Generally, it's if a country has experienced war or other like instability that makes it dangerous. You have to apply to the TPS. They don't provide a pathway to permanence or citizenship, but they do give people work authorization, and they often have to be frequently renewed by the Executive Branch. You have to be in the US the date it's issued, so you can't enter after. Despite what you might have seen on Twitter or whatever, that's not the case. It also doesn't count as a legal entry, so you can't use the bridge to a green card. Trump stripped this protection from about three hundred and fifty thousand Venezuelans under the twenty twenty three TPS. This does not impact there are two different tpss for Venezuelan people. They're in a bit of a unique situation. The quarter of a million people covered by the twenty twenty one TPS are still for now covered by that, but it doesn't exactly bode well for them.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: This appears to be the largest blanket removal of legal status from a group of people in the United States history, and it's a little unclear what this means for the three hundred and fifty thousand Venezuelan people currently residing in the US under TPS. Right, but it's another case of like, by their compliance, isolatory probably knows where they live, so these people, it's possible that we will see deportations of these people back to Venezuela again. The situation in Venezuela is dire.
Speaker 1: It's a place where just so many people too.
Speaker 5: And like I think again, if people haven't listened to my Darien series, I would like that because I got a lot of myself into it, But I have a great affection for Venezuelan migrants. I've spent a lot of time in Caracas when I was younger, and I've spent a lot of time with them in the Darien Gap, and then when they arrive in the United States, and yeah, it's really fucking heartbreaking to hear. Like when you think of three hundred and fifty thousand people, understand that a good number of those people will be little children, Yeah, right, people who never had any agency, People whose parents risked their lives to give their kids a chance at a better future, and that's been ripped away from them right now with the consent of the Supreme Court.
Speaker 6: Like, if you're removing three hundred, like three hundred thousand people from from our country, that's just straight up and ethnic cleansing, Like that's what that is.
Speaker 5: It's about a third of the Venezuelans living in the United States right now, right, Like, it's it's way more than decimating. Yeah, obviously we will see what legal recourses people have, will see how this goes down, But obviously very concerning for these people whose country is falling apart and being writturned. There will be terrible for them, right, Not only will they likely have none of their savings, all of the resources they poured into getting here, but they're also likely to face political persecution. So yeah, that's all the exciting and uplifting news I have from the immigration side of things. Hey everyone, it's James with a pickup Today me and Mar now is reporting that the United States has deported twenty people since April. To Me and mar most of those people, seven of them have been released. The remainder of those people are being held by Burmese military intelligence in a prison that is notorious for torture, sexual violence, and the general inhumane treatment of incarcerated people that we've become very familiar with in our writing about Meanma. We don't know who these people are yet. Obviously, this is a story that I'm looking into and I will continue to get back to you on. But it seems like somehow we have not been aware of this until now, but dozens of people have been deported. They're saying that twenty seven people in total are expected to be deported, and twenty already have. So obviously this is very disturbing news and something we'll keep reporting on.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 4: Thankskeeping us updated on that. James, Yeah, we're gonna go on break and return to talk about the FBI, Palestine and some exciting new reality TV and turfs. I'm sad, okay, we are back. First, I want to do some quick updates about the FBI. A Cash Battel has announced that he's shutting down the FBI's DC headquarters in dj Edgar Hoover Building. Around fifteen hundred agents will be transferred around the country. In this same interview, Cash Brittel and Dan Bongino went on TV to say that Jeffrey Epstein died by suicide and of course Mega, yes, very normal to this. What do they have on this.
Speaker 1: To them?
Speaker 11: You said, Jeffrey Epstein committed suicide.
Speaker 4: People don't believe it.
Speaker 11: Well, I mean, listen, they have a right to their opinion. But as someone who has worked as a public defender, as a prosecutor, who's been in that prison system, who's been in the Metropolitan Detention Center, who's been in segregated housing, you know a suicide when you see one, and that's what that was. They killed himself again, you want me to get I've seen the whole file.
Speaker 5: He killed himself.
Speaker 1: I'm upset because I forgot that Dan Bongina was a person like me too.
Speaker 4: Oh, I have not forgotten. This is my beat. I forgot it. So yes, of course, uh, Mega is acting very normal about about uh the affirmation that Epstein killed himself. Quote. Okay, now I'm losing confidence in them both. This is not good at all.
Speaker 1: Cool. Let me read one, Let me read one. Let's do this. This is fun. Sad to see Cash and Bengino have been compromised.
Speaker 6: Yeah, your turn, Dahn blink twice if they threatened you or your family.
Speaker 5: Now I got to do one right, Yeah, yeah, deep state traitor d Ei.
Speaker 4: Higher Oh classic class.
Speaker 5: There it is, there, it is. I knew it was coming, as much as he likes to wear his CU hunting gear.
Speaker 4: But no, there's there's thousands, thousands of comments from these like like mega Q, people who feel feel the trade that people like Patel and Bungino have spent years doing content creation talking about this grand Epstein conspiracy that now now they claim isn't real or they are in fact covering up the real conspiracy that Donald Donald Trump's friends with Jeffrey Epstein's. So yeah. There's also an interview clip where where Trump. I was asked if he was going to release the whole file, and at first he said yes, and then he caught himself and was like, well, actually no, we'll probably be We'll probably be careful about releasing the whole file because it could compromise people, Like what kind of people you're talking about? Their don Anyway, we have.
Speaker 6: A chance of swinging the Epstein demographic, that is her time division to our enemies.
Speaker 1: The next thing of the doc is I found interesting Gerson.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is just one piece of uplifting news. Yeah, this is I'm just gonna read the headline from the NBA because I simply can't improve on it. No, it's perfect.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 4: Suspected serial killer shouts out Trump in last words before he's put to death. Keep making America great. Glenn Rogers once told police he had killed about seventy people. He was executed by lethal injection Thursday in Florida.
Speaker 1: That's the way that I knew it would be Florida.
Speaker 4: Literally seconds before he got the lethal injection, he said, President Trump, keep making America great. I'm ready to go. Last words. Wow. So that kind of shows you the current, like wellspring of Trump's support right now. That's really hitting his prime demographic of suspected serial killers.
Speaker 1: I just have to say that had big Florida energy.
Speaker 5: For real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's time to hear the lucid lullaby of tariff talk.
Speaker 3: Rocking jazz Bob, Rocky jazz Bot, Sorry, locking rocking jazz bomb.
Speaker 6: Rocking jazz Bob, you know, all right, before everything gets so so like, I do the most depressing segment I've maybe ever done on.
Speaker 4: Here terriffs that can't be true.
Speaker 6: No, not the teriff, but the next I genuinely think is the most impressing thing I've ever done on here, but the tariffs. So our negotiations with China that we're supposed to like solve all of the tariff problems are already breaking down. Both sides are like sniping at each other. This is not going to work. It structurally cannot work. That the US's demands on the negotiating table, which is again the political we're economic rationale behind this, is that the US should not have a trade deficit with China that can't be solved, and it's already breaking down. The talks are going almost certainly going to fail, and we're going to be right back to where we were. It's also worth talking about a bunch of companies have been doing price raises, and I think it's worth going back a little bit to some of some of the economic work we've done in this show with the people at Strange Matters and talking about in our previous episodes about inflation, about how price works, because this is really really badly understood by just about everyone, which is that the way that people think about tend to think about price is as like, okay, it's supply and demand.
Speaker 4: There's two axes they meet on a graph.
Speaker 6: That's not how price is set. Price is set by like specific people in supply chains, right, Like they're constrained by certain factors. And one of the biggest things, and one of the things, the biggest things they're constrained about, is that if you raise prices, people get pissed at you. But the way that they actually do pricing strategies is cost plus markup.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: There's a cost of of of the physical good and then they do a markup and the markup is a profit margin. And the thing about tariffs, right, is that the way the tariffs affect supply chains is that each part of the supply chain now, that's movings, that's importing stuff. Right, each part of those things now has an additional cost that they have to have to put into their costless markup ratio.
Speaker 4: Now, Trump wants all.
Speaker 6: These companies to just fucking eat shit and eat eat the price of the tariffs. He's been tweeting about this or posting a bit and I think on truth social and possibly also on.
Speaker 4: T again, all of his truths have been re reposted on exos.
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, retruthed, but the thing is right and in theory, right like Walmart could just like take this right in theory, like like you know, like they're really some of the really really big company could in theory do this. They won't, like they a lot of any other. Thing is like these companies have an incentive not to raise prices because it pisses consumers off. And also because Trump is just direct like directly threatening sanctions on companies that raise prices. Mattel, for the people who make Barbie, said that they were gonna raise prices on toys, and Trump is now threatening them with one hundred percent sanctions or one hundred percent tariffs.
Speaker 4: Only three dollars yeah, so that's the government limited.
Speaker 6: Dolls, completely handed situation. We've gotten here. We're gonna have doll quotas. But you know, again again it's it's worth mentioning right that, like in theory, for a little bit of time, some of these companies can sort of eat this or they can fuck with their supply chains. So they companies have been publicly talking about this. The problem is the suppliers, because the the the distributors tend to have pretty high margins, right, like your Walgreens, like Amazon a sub except like their margins are okay, and like Amazon makes most of us money from government computing contracts anyways, so it's not as catastrophic. But the supply years operate on very low margins. The shipping companies, everything else along the supply chain operates on really really low margins, right, And those people have to raise their price because otherwise they are just going to die. And when they raise their price right in, that's an increase to the next company's costless markup, which increases the next company's costless market, which increases the next companies. And we're starting to see this ripple to the supply chain. Things are disappearing from grocery stores. They're going to continue disappearing from grocery stores. And as as this goes on, and as presumably the teriffs from China come back into effect, when these negotiations break down and the next round of tariffs goes into effect and deliberation day tariffs come off their ninety day pause and go to effect, this is all gonna get worse. This has been tariff talk lovely U. This unfortunately was the fun part of the episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna get worse free two one.
Speaker 6: Okay, So when I said this might be the bleak at segment I've ever done on this show, we need to do an update on Palestine because things have gotten ye Like, when I was kind of opening this episode, I thought it was going to mostly be about Trump's plan to deport the entire popula to its like deport most of the polation of Palestine to Libya. That's not even the immediate crisis. The immediate crisis is that and that that's not even sure what I'm saying the immediate crisis. Last week, I thought the crisis was going to be the eleven week blucket of Gaza and the fact that everyone is about to starve. Yeah, and so the actual specific thing that we're getting to right now is Israel it is attempting to evacuate. That's their wording. What they're actually doing is ethnically cleansing basically the entire population of Conunis by just forcing everyone out of the city. Right The United Nations has said that nearly one hundred thousand Palestinians have been displaced in Gaza in the last four days as Israel has been expanding its its ground invasion to the Gaza strip. This has been combined with the eleven week long blockade of Gaza. I think by the end of this week, on the week twelve, this has set off an enormous risk of famine. I'm just going to read this from Al Jazeira. Quote some sef days after the Israeli military halted the entry of food, water, medicine, and all other life saving supplies into Gaza, the report said. This is a report from a UN a UN back set of food security group of analysts. The report said, quote goods indispensable for people's survivals survival are either depleted or expected to run out in the coming weeks.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 6: The entire population is facing high levels of acute food insecurity, with half a million people one in five facing starvation.
Speaker 3: It said.
Speaker 6: Approximately ninety three percent of Gaza's population is experiencing acute food shortages. It added. The report also said that like one in five people could starve between now and November. People have already started starving to death. Israel has been blocking AID from getting through. They symbolically allowed a small number of trucks in, but AID groups on the ground and I want to emphasize that this reporting is coming directly from the Times of Israel. If you want to understand how bad the situation is, the Times of Isael is reporting that a groups from the ground say that none of the ilia's gotten through and none of it has been attributed. This is I don't know how to convey how bad it is. Indescribable. Numbers of people are on the verge of starv and go death in the Israelis are simply not letting any food arrive. They keep talking about how they're going to let food arrive because this is actually, this is the first thing I've seen them do that's actually seriously gotten. I mean not even seriously, but it's like gotten A lot of their Western allies pissed at them because they're just very obviously trying to exterminate entire population by starving them the death. And this has caused the UK, Canada, and France to issue a joint statement coming out against the Israeli policy and telling them to fucking stop and let food through so these people don't starve. The UK is talking about suspending free trade agreements with Israel, they're talking about like sanctions at West Bank settlers. The whole group has threatened that they're going to take more actions unless the Israelis let food in. Now, the Israelis, because of the Israelis shot at a bunch of diplomats who were visiting a refugee camp in Janine.
Speaker 4: This was like a few days ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like a few days ago. Yeah, yeah, And so that's that's not been like making anyone less angry at them. It's genuinely remarkable to we've reached a place where like the UK, Canada in France, who are all major weapons suppliers to Israel, are like talking about sanctions, like even targeted actions, like yeah, you know, and like the like the UN's like Human Rights Commission was like well, This is bullshit. You can't juste targeted sanctions.
Speaker 4: It is the entire government doing this.
Speaker 6: But like you know, the fact that they're doing something is an indicator of just how apocalyptically bad the situation is right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to.
Speaker 6: Read this quote from the Guardian from just Perennial, most fascist guy in the Israeli government.
Speaker 5: That's he's saying something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, who's their fucking finance minister who said quote, Now, we conquer, cleanse and stay until Hamas is stroy he told him news conference. Along the way, what remains of the strip is also being wiped.
Speaker 4: Out, plants conquered, the normal things.
Speaker 6: To say, the extent to which they are simply doing a genocide here has reached a point where even a bunch of Israel's closest allies are going, what the fuck?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I really hope that people are able to force their governments to actually fucking do something about this, because if they don't, it's going to continue to get really bad. Yeah, And I mean I guess right now, that's mostly like if if you're if you're in like the UK, Canada or France, and you think you can apply more pressure on your government, like go for.
Speaker 4: It, do do it? Do that.
Speaker 6: Like, I don't know, I don't know to what extent pressure can even be mounted on the Trump administration.
Speaker 4: But it's yeah, I think that's pretty much a dead end, right Yeah, Like but seeing these countries align outside of any US influence to I potentially recognize the Palestinian state, according to Lemonde, right, like is significant.
Speaker 5: And yeah, people in those countries should absolutely like stay in the streets.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because like like and this is this is the thing here, right, Like these countries the stuff that there's stuff are threatened you is not enough to really make a difference here, but like if they're willing to do this, they can be pushed further.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you have to get your foot in the door.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And Carney has also seemed susceptible to this, Yeah, as there has been a block on armsteels to Israel for the past few months in Canada.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to close with another story of like anti humanity, but just a slightly different flavor. And I know this this does the show does often just end up feeling like a bad news round up, and that is because there's a lot of bad news.
Speaker 5: I have good news for the end.
Speaker 4: Actually, that's a good thing. We'll have some good news, yeah, as a treat. And part of the good news here is that this probably will not end up happening, but it's still useful insight into the minds of these ghouls. And I've long advocated that reality TV is basically inherently Satanic. I think it's a spiritual darkness. This is offensive to Satanists.
Speaker 6: It is a.
Speaker 4: Spiritual darkness that has played the United States for far too long. I think it's ushered in a degree of evil that is nearly unfathomable. And the current administration is essentially a reality TV administration on a very clear and obvious level.
Speaker 1: Yes, but did I enjoy watching the Secret Lives of Mormon Wives?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: I did. I think watching it stuff is actually a personal moral failure. I think you're channeling darkness into your soul.
Speaker 1: And love it it.
Speaker 4: Last week, multiple outlets reported that the Department of Homeland Security was considering participating in a reality TV show where immigrants compete against each other to gain US citizenship. The proposed series would be called The American This nightmare has been dreamed up by Duck Dynasty producer Rob Warsof, and apparently he's been trying to make this since Obama's second term, but only now has made progress on getting the necessary backing from the DHS. After sending Trump's DHS a thirty five page pitch, Warsof wants it to be quote unquote the biggest loser for immigration, which again, reality TV is inherently evil. That's fucking insane. It should not be tolerated on any aspect of human society. No, the Wall Street Journal header reads, quote, this isn't the Hunger Games for immigrants, says the producer behind the pitch. If you have to say this isn't the Hunger Games for immigrants, that means this is the Hunger Games for immigrants. Getting a lot of questions about my this isn't the Hunger Games for Immigrants shirt already answered by the shirt to quote the Wall Street Journal quote. DHS spokeswoman Tricia McLaughlin said that she had spoken to the producer of the proposed television reality show and that consideration of the idea was ongoing. It is quote in the very beginning stages of that vetting process, she said, adding that quote each proposal undergoes a thorough vetting process prior to denial or approval unquote. McLoughlin was also quoted in The Daily Mail as saying she thought the television show was quote unquote a good idea.
Speaker 5: Jesus, Jesus.
Speaker 4: The pitch details that the immigrant contestants would board a train called the American and ride across the country to meet quote unquote interesting Americans and learn about the local history and culture while competing in region specific quote unquote heritage challenges to prove they are the most American. Such cultural contests include balancing on logs in Wisconsin, building a rocket at the Florida NASA headquarters, assembling a model t Ford in Detroit, and collecting gold in a San Francisco mind shaft. Prizes would be quote unquote iconically American, like one million American Airlines points, a ten thousand dollars Starbucks give card, or a lifetime supply of seventy six gas. Immigrants would be split into teams that compete head to head across one hour episodes, ending with an elimination challenge, followed by a town hall and a final vote to quote the producer quote along the way, we will be reminded what it means to be American through the eyes of people who wanted most.
Speaker 5: I feel like even this will it will humanize migration to the United States too much for them, and like if that they will be afraid of that, like of these people articulating their desire to be here and what it means to them, And I feel like that that doesn't end well for the administration, that they this might.
Speaker 4: Be too liberal for the Trump administration.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it could be too I'm not even joking.
Speaker 6: This is a concept just should be the death knell for the idea of America. Like, oh, yeah, if America has an experiment, we tried it.
Speaker 4: It failed. This is the most America thing I've ever heard, Like.
Speaker 6: It's yeah, as an experiment, the American Project was a fucking disaster, and we need to it needs to stop because this is what it's done. No more, No more American Project. The Hitch has pre vetted contestants. First arriving at Ellis Island a board a boat called the Citizenship, They are greeted by the show's host quote a famous naturalized American who was also born in another country unquote. The pitt recommends Sophia Vrighera or Ryan Reynolds. Upon arriving, the host would give each of them a personalized baseball glove America's past time.
Speaker 1: There's no way Sophia Brigata or Ryan Reynolds would ever fucking do a show like this. That's batshit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I fucking hope so to quote the producer's pitch. Quote will join in the laughter, tears, frustration, and joy hearing their backstories as we are reminded how amazing it is to be American through the eyes of twelve wonderful people who want nothing more than to have what we have.
Speaker 7: Quote.
Speaker 4: This is one of the most evil things I've ever I've ever heard of. Yeah, the live finale would have the winner getting sworn in on the steps of the US Capital by a quote top American politician or judge with F sixteen's flying overhead. Quote. There won't be a fuck me sorry, there won't be a dry eye in the house unquote.
Speaker 5: There have actually been like high spectacle single individual awards of citizenship before I'm thinking For example, Hermann Bodger was a He's often known as like the one man army of BOONA John Butcher. He was I believe, living as an undocumented person in the United States when he joined the Abraham Lincoln Brigade volunteered to fight in the Spanish Civil War, where he was an officer. He then joined the United States military and fort again in World War II. During the Battle of Bune, he personally led a charge against several Japanese pillboxes, which he eliminated with grenades. He then had his ear drum perforated, and I believe he was shot in the arm. He was awarded, I think he wasn't ordered the Medal of Honor. He was recognized for his bravery. Congress pass and act to make him a citizen, and he declined to attend the ceremony because he wanted to get back to the front lines. That rules, Yeah, a bit of a legend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit cooler than the live grand finale of the American The pitch clarified that the losers would not be immediately deported and that the contestants would have a leg up in applying for citizenship the more traditional way based on being pre vetted for this show. So it's good that it's good that he had to clarify that they would not be immediately deported upon on getting eliminated. That's that's a good sign.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, another thing that you should always have to craifind a TV page.
Speaker 4: At a Tuesday congressional hearing, Christineome denied having knowledge of the reality TV show despite reporting to the contrary, while also defining hebeas corpus in this hearing as a quote constitutional right that the president has to be able to remove people from this country unquote. So there you go. Yeah, that's not what that means, Christineome is a disaster that is kind of the opposite of what Abe's corpus is. And there is there is substantial reporting showing that DHS staff are looking at this pitch. It might not go through now based on all this backlash, but they were looking through the pitch, including possibly Corey Lewandowski. But yeah, that is that is the Reality TV news. James, Do you have anything anything to end on here.
Speaker 1: Please, James, please?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know something a little bit nice. So for those of you who like me, enjoy a strawberry ice. Agents arrived at the West Coast Berry Farms facility in Oxnard, California, earlier this month, where they were met by a gatekeeper who demanded a warrant and refused to let them enter the facility without one and eventually managed to turn them away. So this is a rare dub I guess. Clearly, as we enter the time of year when things need to be picked in the fields, this will be a place where ICE sees the opportunity to conduct its enforcement operations. And like it is genuinely positive to see that this company, I guess, critical support to this company that obviously underpays and takes advantage of migrant labor that they have provided them, according to an anonymous source in sf Gate with know your rights training, and in this case, the gatekeeper was able to not let the ICE agents enter and eventually they left.
Speaker 4: Like ICE isn't impervious. Like all week, ICE has been releasing statements complaining about being compared to to the to.
Speaker 5: The well once again, right, like another thing that you shouldn't have to be releasing statements about I am.
Speaker 4: Not the Gestapo shirt has people asking a lot of questions. Yeah, and they're also publishing false stats about ICE officers being assaulted in the line of duty, So like obviously they are. They're facing some kind of like fear even among their own agents. That's why they're all like covered up wherever they go. They're trying to prosecute people for posting information on ICE agents in your area.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, but like I say, they're not impervious. There is a difference between a judicial warrant and a warrant that ICE has essentially made itself right, the latter not being signed by a judge. And it appears that the gatekeeper was aware of that. We still have courts, you still, in theory have rights, and you know, well it depends but yeah, yeah, yeah, theoretically that was a pivotal word. But yeah, shout out to the gatekeepers at the Oxnad strawberry plant.
Speaker 6: And they could be stopped by a door keeper, Like, they can be resisted, they can be stopped from doing things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like, it is genuinely important that this person unders the difference between a judicial warrant and these documents that ICE might produce. And it does illustrate the value of being educated and educating people in your communities about these things if they might be at risk for this.
Speaker 4: All right, we reported the news.
Speaker 1: Boy, howdy did we We reported the news.
Speaker 2: Hey, we'll be back Monday. With more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you.
Speaker 4: Listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can now find sources for It could Happen Here.
Speaker 4: Listened directly an episode just Ruptions.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.