Speaker 1: Hello, Texans Friday night. Just got paid. Like Johnny Kemp once said, does anybody still get a pay check? By the way, I don't know. Yeah, that was Johnny Kemp who did that song. I actually had to check, but it is. What's the last time you remember getting a paper check? Well, for certain things you still get them. Yeah, for certain things, we fund checks coming to mail. Thanks for the five dollars and seventy five cents for whatever it was. But everything else right now, direct deposit, Yes, that's the way to go.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was so the way to go.
Speaker 1: I don't feel good about checks and then you know, you scan them and then you still have the check, right, which is bizarro world.
Speaker 3: And I never know what to do with it. I never know what to do. I just showing in my bank, like what do I do with this?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel right, And I get the desire to have to hold a check. The players, I'm sure get all direct deposit. I mean, come on, they were born in a digital world. These young lings, these young players are we're going to talk about them, some of the young players, some of the older players.
Speaker 2: What they're doing.
Speaker 1: A couple of days into camp and we've got a bunch of stuff on the program today. Mister Harris hitches with us himself, John Harris, who observes practice and people read his stuff. Man, the media reads your stuff. The media reads your stuff to find out what happened at practice, even when they're there. That's a high compliment to you, my friend.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Thank you. So what do you observe today?
Speaker 1: Give me your biggest takeaway from day two and then we'll get.
Speaker 2: Into some stuff. Okay, Blake Fisher fits.
Speaker 3: Blake Fisher is not out of place, and I know people like, well, wait a second, they didn't have pads on?
Speaker 2: Did they know? They didn't?
Speaker 3: But there there was a couple of moments where because we were on the I was on the offensive sideline, so I was on the on the right sideline, and so he's at left tackle for Laramie. Early in practice, defense threw a blitz at him and it was a good blitz. I mean, Petrie timed it perfectly. So he almost just got lost and I was like, oh, they're not going to see him, and all of a sudden, before you know what, Blake Fisher slides out, takes Petree locks him up. Cej can throw the football like, well, that's pretty good. Just knowing who to block, it's massive. Well if people lay later. I kept my eyes on him, just watching Fisher and he was going against the new Hunter. Okay, he's gonna get a little come up as I know the pads on.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 3: But stayed right in front of him, slid his feet, stayed strong, anchored, made the block, and I thought, he doesn't look out of place.
Speaker 2: These rookies do not look out of place.
Speaker 3: Again, we've talked a lot about Kamari last year in OTA's in Mini camp. I thought day one, Kaylen Bullock showed, he showed some of that speed why he was so intriguing to this particular organization. His speed is closing ability. He does not look out of place. And then seeing Blake Fisher today, watching him kind of taking a few reps to watch him and realize, okay, look, it's not a it's not a perfect finished picture, but you can see exactly why the Texans were high on him, and you watch him and go, okay, pick the rookie. There's five guys up there, Pick the guy that's the rookie. You'd be hard pressed to pick Blake Fisher. He looks like he is is where he needs to be now again, but the pads on becomes a whole different ballgame.
Speaker 2: But the fact that.
Speaker 3: He looks like he A knows you to block b looks pretty proficient and being able to stay and stay strong on those blocks as well, I think it's a big feather in the cap for the rookie. So that was that's the first one that stood up. Give me my second one. Okay, this actually happened during it was a It was a run by British Brooks. So British rookie North Carolina undrafted free agent caught a toss play. Now we've seen the Texas right at toss play. Yeah, and I heard the words get vertical. Basically, go get up field, do not mess around or not dance, get vertical. Now, I don't know who said it, but I just heard it and I was like that those two words have just stood out to me as I've watched both Joe Mixon and Damian Pierce. They get vertical, they get vertical in a hurry. Damien, I think, is learning to do it. He's really starting to learn to do it. You can see it becoming more part of his running DNA. It is baked into Joe Mixon. Joe is getting vertical within two steps. It is get the ball boom boomko. A lot of guys and I think this is someone what Damien was doing last year. They take those three steps and then it was like not really sure, pit a pat of the feet kind of where do I go? And then no, Joe is like I'm going I'll figure out where the hole is when I get there. And the crazy as it sounds, that's really what you have to be able to do.
Speaker 2: And he got vertical.
Speaker 3: Those guys have been working on getting vertical on a hurry, and I think that's gonna make this run game if they can do that. Obviously, Joe's done it. Now got to have Damien do it consistently. But you can tell that's a pretty big thing. Third one, I'll give you this one. This is a weird one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Juar Jordan caught up a checkdown. Tim Boyle went through his progression is nothing. Saw Juir Jordan out in the fly saw that one flips it out to Jordan. Yeah, Jordan gets up the field. Good job catch football. Look look very smooth doing that. That wasn't what stood out. Jordan continues up the field about twenty five thirty yards and all of a sudden, I look and out of nowhere, McTelvin agen out of nowhere, Sosa comes out of nowhere thirty five yards down the field. He was defensive tackle. He's three hundred and five pounds. He is flying down the field to tag off on Jair Jordan nice, and I'm like, that's cool. I love seeing things like that. Great rep. I just I was like, wow, the first of all the effort, second of all the athleticism to be able to turn and sprint and get down there. And McTelvin, you know, Sosa's only real issue is just he's kind of a tweeter size wise. Yeah, I always thought he's good player, but he's always kind of got caught in between that kind of two seventy the two ninety kind of frame. He looks like he's a little bit more than two ninety, like he's up near to three hundred pound mark. But between he and Marcus Harris, the guys are really a defensive time team without pads, just because their athleticism, speed, quickness, twitch, they become really interesting and guys definitely want to keep my eyes on it in a couple of days.
Speaker 2: I mean, these are guys in the offseason.
Speaker 1: We barely even talk right exactly exactly, and if they're doing this and by this, you're right.
Speaker 2: We're not in pads yet. We're not seeing that yet.
Speaker 1: But if you see some promise there, that's really nice to two days, that's all we have to evaluate right now.
Speaker 2: Two days of training camp, shorter.
Speaker 1: Practices than you'd probably have it a regular six week ramp up. That's right, because there are seven weeks. I think they're handling it a certain way, and it's gonna be interesting as we get closer to that Hall of Fame game, because I don't expect the starters to play in that game. How they handle the reps for the reserves to get them ready to go, because whatever playing time or practice time they got prior to that, they're gonna have to play a big chunk of the Hall of Fame game. Yep, all right, quarterbacks, CJ. Stroud, this justin looks pretty good.
Speaker 2: Mills.
Speaker 1: Give me your assessment on Mills so far. Let's just go there to the backup quarterback, because Mills to me, looks pretty good.
Speaker 2: Looks like he's really comfortable in this system.
Speaker 1: Now this is year two in this system, and I saw him make a hell of a throw today in a great catch by John Metchip. That was great traffic in traffic, very nice execution there.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Yeah, that was an excellent throw. I thought that was the best throw of the day. Quarterbacks to me, I've thrown it pretty well, case Tim Boyle, what's the number seven's name?
Speaker 2: So that would be when CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud he's throwing it pretty well when he's had opportunities. Look, here's they ran eighteen minutes of special teams today with all the individual drills, with all their activation, with their group installed the old ideal line walkthrough, and he went for ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: So they only had two team sessions.
Speaker 3: So basically CJ got about six to seven snaps and Davis did as well. You know, as well as you watch Davis now this is our fourth year. The thing that has always slowed down Davis always is just there will be three really good throws and then there'll be that one like what was that? And he had one of those during practice, that great throw to Mechi. The next time they came back the next series they came back, or the next period they came back, he threwn across the middle and never saw Jacob Phillips.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and Jacob couldn't hang on to it.
Speaker 3: And so with Davis, it's always that man, if he can just avoid that one throw where he doesn't see a linebacker, he just gets over anxious because we would see him make some really good throws in games, and then you'd see him make one and go, oh whoa. Like in the Colts game in twenty two, the one everybody talks about k ten. He's throwing dimes. I remember him throwing a couple of really nice balls quit Toreano, and then he threw one right to a Colt's.
Speaker 2: Linebacker, be in a pick six.
Speaker 3: And it's just that one throw and it's not that singular, but it's just the one throw that he has that you just want to have back. But I think from OTA's mini camp he's looked even better than he was last year.
Speaker 2: I felt like last year he'd improved the year before that. He just improves each year.
Speaker 3: But there's just always that one throw and Phillips is unable to hang on to it.
Speaker 2: So you get lucky.
Speaker 3: But the throw to Mechi, I mean, that's the Davis we know, But to throw the throw that Phillips nearly picked off, like, he's got to get that out of his system. If you can get that out of his system, I mean, yeah, I feel very very confident what Davis is bringing.
Speaker 1: I think he's gonna play a ton after this preseason. They have to get him ready. We know what this team went through last year, and what they went through was CJ. Stroud missing a couple of games, and they don't want to see that again. But if they do have to go with somebody else, Look, they went to case Keenum, who was third team all year, and they went to Case and it was the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: But this year, if they had that situation.
Speaker 1: Pop up again, and I'm not talking about taking on the Titans in Nashville, they're wearing the older uniforms. We'll get to that point, but I would think they would go to Mills now.
Speaker 2: But they want to really feel great about it.
Speaker 1: So Mills is going to get a great opportunity in this preseason to get reps, get snaps in preseason games, and perform in this system with whatever personnel's around him and prove he belongs.
Speaker 2: It's it's going to be interesting.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this about the OTA Mini camp being cut short that period because they knew they were coming to camp early. What I feel like I'm watching right now, it's kind of a hybrid. Yeah, you're ramping up for the season, but it feels like the last week of OTAs in some ways, not in intensity, but in the way they handle the practice load.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, we think about just having seven weeks of preseason. I mean, that's that's tough. And I mentioned it this morning on Texas Training Camp Live. I mean they're only hit for five or six days before they play the first game against the Bears. But they'll come back and hit before preseason game joint practices where they'll hit. They're gonna hit enough. They just don't do it a lot before they get to the Patriots. So that all said was seven weeks, I mean, you really do have to kind of stretch this out a little bit. Let's cut practice from two hours to ninety minutes. We've got some great weather the first couple of days, so that's helped. So I'm with you. One hundred percent. I do think it is kind of that last week of mini camp or OTAs that they've brought forward. There's not been any one on one competition. It is been group or unit or unit or team that they've done. And they've also spent, like I said today, they spent a lot of time on special teams. And here's the other thing mark about special teams. So in the second special teams period they went, they went ten minutes and they worked on punt and as they were working on it, I went down and I watched they had split the split the kind of the the groups up in like four different groups, and so they had one that was kind of gunners, they had the returners, they had one that were kind of out you know, guys that would be rushing maybe from the outside on a pond, you know, like linebacker type, linebacker, tight end types. And then they had the defensive line and that was the one that was closest to me, and they were working on just different block techniques with the defensive linemen, every single defensive lineman. Not like you have one of the best defensive lines I would say best in the NFL, but you have one of the best ones you've ever had. Will Anderson's Neil Hunter. I mean you got names.
Speaker 2: You know. They're all doing this punt drill, all of them. It wasn't like the.
Speaker 3: Neil Hunter, will Anderson or other standing around like no, no, we don't do supposed to. No, they were leading the drill. Wow, every one of them was in the drill. I just that impressed me so much that in a ten minute period and they only went for five minutes. And then they walked over with Roger Wright with Rod Wright and they you know, talked through some things that they were doing with the d line, but they.
Speaker 2: Just to see every single one of them go in that drill. I thought it was really cool.
Speaker 3: Frank Ross like that, Yes, absolutely question There weren't guys beagging out.
Speaker 2: They were in it and engage. That was really cool. All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up on the show, Johnny and I had a great visit with Nick Cassio at training camp.
Speaker 2: So many people didn't hear that. We're gonna have that for you.
Speaker 1: Also, Johnny breaks down the wide receiver position group, the deepest one on the team that's coming up here on Texans Radio. Right back to it here on Texans Radio, as promised, Johnny and I had a chance to catch up with executive vice president and general manager Nick Cassio as training camp got started here.
Speaker 4: It is a number of people have been involved in this effort, especially kind of on the heels of what happened there last week. I mean, we had some issues with the bubble. We're dealing with some things here with the stadium, But I mean it's a collective effort, effort from coaching staff, players, operational staff to put training camp together and to give the fans a great experience when they show up here next week. So a lot of effort, a lot of work from a lot of people, and it's just kind of reflective. The whole team mindset kind of takes everybody. We rely on everybody here organizationally, and it's not about one individual. It's about us trying to put our collective best foot forward as a group, and hopefully we're able to do that here as we get started.
Speaker 2: Nick.
Speaker 3: Last night, I was watching Hard Knocks and I can't wait for the Texas. Yes, but they one of the things that live. Schreiber said, free agency is over, and I was like, no, it's not. It never ends like the player acquisition transaction process never ends, and we get the email that you've added three different players to the roster for training camp and what their futures might be. Milk Fisher, Chris Reid, and then Quintest Cephis. What can you tell us about those three guys being added to the roster right now? Yeah, kind of varying levels of experience. Chris is a player inside player primarily wasn't drafted, has experience in a cult system with coach Strausser. So it's kind of bounced around there a little bit, but really more depth inside more than anything else. Really on the heels of kind of Ladarius Henderson kind of waving them injured essentially going to ir.
Speaker 5: So just trying to continue to build a depth, you know.
Speaker 4: Cephas was a player wasn't highly drafted but had an impact for the Lions there over the course of two three years. Was out of football last year because of his individual situation, but a player that we actually worked out the end of the spring there in May. So younger player has some level of experience. We kind of shuffle the deck there a little bit at receiver. And then Fisher was a player who had the opportunity to play in the UFL, and I think that's one of the benefits of the spring league where you get a player that has a chance maybe to get some reps that the otherwise what kind of a similar to Khalil Davis there last year. So I's here really more depth competition with those players. To your point, though, John, the roster building process is very fluids. It's ongoing, so it's not kind of finite, well just in March if free agency is over. It's kind of continuous and there will likely be things that take place here between now and the start of the season as well. So but that's just part of the process that we have to go through in a regular basis.
Speaker 1: So you're in the Hall of Fame game, and that's why we have the early start to training camp. How does it affect things having one extra week of camp and never mind four preseason games, but just having extra week of practice, Nick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it moves everything up and it just gives you a few more opportunities to kind of get on the field. And what it essentially does is extend your ramp up period to some degrees. So the league has rules in place or the first three four days are sort of controlled anyway certain number of minutes that you can be on the field, but you're able to start that clock a little bit sooner. So kind of once we get through Thursday, Friday, Saturday, players are off Sunday. Then next week we'll kind of be able to go more of a regular practice tempo and timing. So we've embraced it. We're honestly looking forward to it. So it's good to get back, good to get started. We kind of had a truncated spring where we just kind of flipped it where we kind of cut a week off understanding we were going to probably pick it up here in the back end of training camp. So we're excited to be backed. Got a good energy, good mindset of good attitude. So yeah, we're glad to be here along those lines.
Speaker 3: Nick, because of the Hall of Fame game and because of our first preseason game.
Speaker 2: We're staying up in Ohio. You know that place pretty well.
Speaker 3: It's really not about that, but what are the advantages of having a situation like that where you play a game but you stay up there. It's not joint practices, but you're on the road altogether for a week. What are some of the advantages you get from doing something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's there's a number of them. I think first and foremost it was based on kind of logistics. So instead of playing a Hall of Fame game, flying back to Houston and flying back to Pittsburgh, the way it worked, we're playing in Canton, then we're playing a falling week in Pittsburgh. So it was can we maybe find somewhere where we can kind of stay, have our normal football operation, have a normal I would say three four days of practice and then shorten to travel. So and then when you're kind of removed, it's kind of as if when you go away for a camp. So you know, the Texans in the past have gone to the Greenbriers. Are other teams that have used a Green Brier. The Chiefs go to whatever the school is they go to in Kansas City. But when you're there, it's just you. That's all you have to worry about is the team football. More time together doesn't mean that you enjoy the time away from your family, but it just kind of shifts the focus a little bit. So you know, hopefully we can take advantage of that week and just have a good week and kind of still normalize the process. But going back to your earlier question mark, that entails a lot of light work other areas of football on an operational and as well. Clay Hampton and his team on logistics front, So trying to get everything organized. So do we have a hotel, do we have someone we can practice? What's a transportation back and forth? Like in any end? Try to put the players in the best position so they can can't perform at their their highest level.
Speaker 3: Can we markle know this one? Don't forget the quarterbacks red jerseys. Oh yeah, that's right, number day one point fifteen. Don't forget the quarterbacks red duct tape on them or something to make sure you stay off the quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: And we're going to see the Texans practice at University of high School and I know you're familiar without it, it's your al the mind.
Speaker 2: What is that going to be?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Can we have the Nick Assario reality tour and just explore the high school the grounds?
Speaker 2: How's it changed since you've been there?
Speaker 5: That game?
Speaker 4: You'll probably see a lot of bad pictures and bad photos of bad haircuts.
Speaker 2: Probably we need to see the hair.
Speaker 4: Building big No, it's really just kind of worked out from a logistics standpoint. So the hotel is probably about fifteen minutes away from the high school, and I love my experience here. As all boys, it's K through twelve, but the upper school is nine through twelve. I mean it's a massive campus. I mean there's one hundred acres or whatever it is. So the school is kind of situated up front and you kind of drive around back and you have the game field, the main game field, which is field turf, and then you have multiple practice fields. So it just kind of suits our needs. So again, it's more functional more than anything else. So the fact that it's at us in my former high school, I think is more happenstance more than anything else. But it's just the way it worked out. So haven't been back there in a while, so it'll kind of be cool to go back there, you know, for a period of time. My family's probably more excited than anybody because at least I'll be somewhat around.
Speaker 3: So, you know, during the season, my favorite part of every interview, you know exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: I wait until about halfway through the.
Speaker 5: Interview and Mark to hit the road and.
Speaker 2: Then it's like, okay, we got the Pittsburgh Steelers. On deck.
Speaker 3: All right, give us a scouting report. You give us a pretty thorough scouting report. I'm gonna ask you a tough question. Give us a scouting report into twenty twenty four Texans as. Yes, yeah, I mean mentioned a little bit earlier. I mean we feel like we have you know, we feel like we have a good football team. So what it looks like on the field, But.
Speaker 4: We have quality I would say players and quality depth at multiple spots. I mean some positions there are probably gonna be a little more competition than others. But I mean I think the front hopefully will be a strength of our team, and we've invested resources in both areas. Think we have some young skill players on both sides of the ball, whether it's receiver and a secondary that have played some have played good football, and hopefully we have some other players that are going to play good football for us. I think our specialists, I mean probably a little bit underrated, but like we feel we have three of the better specialists there in the league. Which a kicking game is going to take on I would say it takes on significance every year and every game, but probably even more so this year.
Speaker 5: So you know, We're excited about the group that we assembled.
Speaker 4: Understanding some things will probably change here between now and the start of the regular season, but you know, hopefully we're in a decent position at least to give ourselves an opportunity to compete on a weekly basis.
Speaker 1: You talked about the d line in your press conference a bit, and I find it really interesting because you look at adding daneil Hunter, that's awesome, obviously JG's now Minnesota, but bringing Barnett back, and then bringing Jerry Hughes back late in the offseason, and then the guys that tackle. The more we look, the more we like. Can you discuss them a little bit? Yeah, I think you articulated well.
Speaker 5: Mark.
Speaker 4: I think was kind of working backwards with with Derek and Jerry. Obviously experience year of experience in the system. You know, Jerry's a pro. You know, Jerry keeps himself in great shapes, got a great attitude, He great in the locker room, he's a great teammate, and he's great to have around. Derek played pretty good football for us here at the end of the year. So we're gonna play four or five defensive ends. We're gonna play for defensive tackles who are available in the spring.
Speaker 5: It's always hard to.
Speaker 4: Kind of evaluate the defensive line because you're not there's no contact involved in the run game is limited. But Iman Khalil really made some improvements here in the offseason, kind of built on some of the things he did last season. I'd say one guy that's really not talked about that much is Kurt But from the day he walked in the door, he's been so steady and so consistent, and he's been out there and he's produced when he's been given the opportunities. So it settles a young player. It has some experience in a couple of different systems. You know SOSA, you know mc talvin, a gam had a really good spring, so and then Foley has been a pretty good player here, a little bit more of a run player. So we didn't see all those guys all at one time, but you know, kind of excited to see what that looks like here.
Speaker 5: Once we get started.
Speaker 3: Nikka kind of goes along on the first question to ask you about transactions. You brought out Milike Fisher. He comes from comes from Building Overbody.
Speaker 2: He was in the UFL.
Speaker 3: Did Khalil's experience here last year play a role in a sense that, hey, we took a shot on a guy like Khalil Davis. Now he've been around the league a little bit, but taking a shot on him and it seemingly played off. I mean it's fifteen games he was in that second he and Kurt were come in a game, they would do some good things, and then you bring him back. Did that experience with Khalil kind of play role with bringing him a leak?
Speaker 4: Is you probably be careful to extrapolate kind of one for one, I think it's really more about opportunity. I think the whole idea is anytime you bring a player in in the spring or like before the start of training camp, a lot of it is are they in good condition, are they ready to go? And when you've played football for multiple months, which in Elik's case he did and he played well. But it's a different level of competition, so it's not necessarily one for one, you expect Malik to perform as well as Khalil did Khalil. I mean, nobody thought anything in Khalil. Then he got here and he made a few plays, so he kind of kept him around. And then when he was given the opportunity, he took advantage of it. So that's all you're really doing. He is presenting an opportunity to the player. So Malik's a good kids. How's a good attitude, So you'll give him a chance and kind of see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Where do your eyes go in these early practices when you're observing what's going on on the field, kind of looking a little bit of everything.
Speaker 4: I think when you watch the team, you're just looking at the play call, of the script, kind of the scheme, people in the right spot, kind of what goes on, and then some of the individual techniques, like where their hand placement was, some of their footwork, some of their technique. That's something you can study a little bit more when you're actually watching a film. So it's really more big picture kind of bounce around different positions, watch the kicking game, watch some of the drills that are associated there. So just kind of take a big picture of perspective, not get too caught up in one player, one individual, and then go back and if there's something that you want to study a little bit more, you have a chance to do it when we're back in the building.
Speaker 3: Nick rookies going through their first training camp. We talked about this a little bit, but every rookie group is different. I mean last year, obviously it's number two, number three overall pick. There's different expectations for them. But when you go into a camp with rookies, what are some of the things you're looking for with Kamari and Blake and Kaylin those guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still football. Don't make it more than what it is, and just trust your training, trust your coaching, and just go out there and just try to stack days together consecutively, one after one, because ultimately, what you're trying to evaluate and judge is the player consistent from one day to the next or are there peaks and valleys in their player their ups and downs? Can they self correct? Can they take a coaching point, make the correction and then move on to the next thing. Those are some of the things that you're evaluating. So everybody's going to make plays, everybody's going to give up plays. You're just looking for consistency of performance.
Speaker 5: And then from.
Speaker 4: A younger player perspective, don't make it.
Speaker 5: More than what it is. It's still football and just go out there and play football.
Speaker 2: A couple.
Speaker 1: More mentally, what is the message from you and Demiko Ryans to this team? As we talked about long camp, high expectations, whatever. I know you got to tune that out and get ready for the season. But what is the message there in general?
Speaker 5: No, it's great.
Speaker 4: It's have a great attitude, be a great teammate, focus on collective improvement and visual improvement. Be resilient because we're gonna face some adversity, We're gonna face some ups and downs, and just have competitive enthusiasm on on an everyday basis. So everything that you're doing, pour as much into it as possible and just be the best version of who you are that particular day, and just try to continually just devote as much time and resources necessary to put yourself in a position so you have a chance to make this team.
Speaker 3: What are your thoughts on bron Breaker, Because I feel like I've got to ask you a wrestling question, because when you're on the radio, I need to ask you about We've got to have a wrestling.
Speaker 5: Games. Maybe some other folks, okay, because I.
Speaker 3: Saw him at Big twelve media days and I was like a wrestling guy there.
Speaker 4: Because they're gonna present probably the Undertaker's belt or trophy whoever wins a Big twelve.
Speaker 3: But I had to get a wrestling question in and make you a pretty good job. All those stuff well done. I don't know about wrestling. That's Sean's what did you do on the break?
Speaker 4: So we we go back north, back to you know, John's neck of the woods, but we spend some time on the cape and really we just kind of go, we unwind. We've had a place there for a number of years. Our kids really look forward to it, and we kind of put our feet down and we're just there. It's very low key. It's really about the girls and it's about the family, you know, over the course of the break. So I'm mean I work out each day. I mean kind of knock out some things early on, do some reading, try to do some individual self improvement, try to recalibrate. But you're always you're away from football, but you're not away from football. But my wife and I celebrated our fifteenth wedding anniversary this summer, so again, so we enjoyed it and it went pretty went pretty quickly. But you know, excited to be back and kind of get started, and you know, it's training camp.
Speaker 2: It's hard for you to unplug, isn't it, Dick, Just be honest.
Speaker 5: Yes, the first few.
Speaker 3: Days in particular, because you're just grinding. The first couple of days are always hard.
Speaker 4: Well, you're going, and then it kind of comes to an abrupt halt. But I would say, like we had some things that we were working on. I would say the first couple of weeks of Cason Demico and I were kind of in regular contact. So right around kind of the end of June to that fourth it was kind of all right. There wasn't too much football, but you're always kind of have an eye ahead on all right, what are some of the next things in front of us, and try to work in some college scouting. Maybe you start to familiate yourself yourself with some of those prospects. So that's what it's about. So I'm wired a certain way. So but try to pick my spots and really keep the focus on the girls in the summer because that's their opportunity with dad, and you know, there's nothing I enjoy more than being able to do that with them. So you know, I love them a lot, and uh, but they know it's football season and don't be here at some point, I'm sure excellent.
Speaker 2: Nick, thanks so much for the time. We'll visit soon. Good luck with camp.
Speaker 5: Thank you, fella, it's good to be here.
Speaker 1: There's executive vice president and general manager Nick Cassario, John Harris and I have visiting with Nick as training camp gets underway. Coming up the wide receiver position group, deepest on the team. Johnny breaks it all down and we'll hear from Robert Woods as well. Texan's all at heading into the first weekend of training camp. Two practices down. After practice number one, John Harris broke down the very deep ocean deep wide receiver group. How do they stack up with years past? Well, more importantly, how are they this year?
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the big three in no particular order, but I'm going to start with who I think is wide receiver number one, and that would be the guy who signed the big contract extension in the offseason.
Speaker 2: Nico Collins. Nearly thirteen hundred yards last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they unlocked the rack box last year, the run after catchbox, and that made him super special. Watching Week eighteen and thinking about Week eighteen against the Colts, obviously he hits you in all different directions. He hitting with the deep ball, showed the speed to get beyond Juju Brintz from the Colts for a seventy five yard touchdown. Then he showed the rackability when he ran away from Zayia Franklin, ran over Jalen Jones twice, setting up Andrew Beck's touchdown. And then he has the slide catch where he comes out of nowhere, showing the speed, showing the connection with CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud. He's that big body six.
Speaker 3: Four tw hundred and fifteen pound receiver that is just growing into his body and his game.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love the extension. He's a sweetheart. I love the guy. I'm glad Nico Collas is back. And when you say number one wide receiver, boy, it could be anybody on any given day.
Speaker 2: As I said earlier, who's the number one wide receiver?
Speaker 3: At the open guy? And he goes gonna get open against a lot of different people. But when he catches it, that's when the fun begins because that run after catchability is too smooth, all right.
Speaker 1: Acquired from the Buffalo Bills, former Viking, former case keenom teammate in Mini, Stefan Diggs is here.
Speaker 2: Now, what does he bring. Tremendous leadership and tremendous route running. He's been there.
Speaker 3: He can run routes from any part of the field. He can run him from the slot, he can run from outside. But he gets open. And that's the one thing about Josh Allen and CJ. Stroud's different. Josh is not as accurate as CJ. So when Diggs would get a step on a dB, ball wasn't always where it needed to be. If Diggs gets it, step on it dB. This year with CJ. Stroud, the ball's gonna be right on his person. He's gonna make the catch and make something happen. But tremendous leader, bigger than you think, slot outside, Love the fact that he can do it from all all different wide receiver spots.
Speaker 2: It's fun days, Gonna be really fun to watch this year, all right. Great to see him out here running around making.
Speaker 1: Plays already, and he was already at OTAs Tank Dell.
Speaker 3: Perhaps the scariest player on this roster for teams to have to try and face. You're talking about Will Anderson Junior, Daniel Hunter. Even CJ teams will be scared of Tank Dell. One hundred percent healthy because they have no answer for him. He's so sudden in and out of his breaks. He can play him in man, he'll beat them short, he'll beat him long. Then when he gets the ball in his hands. I know at the combine he ran four four. He's faster than that with the ball in his hands. And I think that's what's most impressive to me. Keep him healthy because he, to me, is the most dangerous.
Speaker 2: Person on this entire squad.
Speaker 1: Seems like as good a big three or first three wide receivers in your group as any team in the league would have.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the rest. Now that's the first three.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna start the next group, and again no particular order, but I want to start with Robert Woods. Intentionally, we talked a bunch about him last half hour when we had him on.
Speaker 3: Mister third down gets himself open, the consummate vet that you've got to have in your wide receiver room. Love having him on his team. He is available and open on third downs, and that's key, so if you've got to give somebody a rest. He knows every single wide receiver position. He's been in this type of offense. You know, when he was with McVeigh with the La Rams. He knows everything and knows where everybody needs to be. It's great leader, tremendous presence, and he's just got such a calming presence in a wide receiver room.
Speaker 2: He's got to be on this roster. Man.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love that guy. I think we all do for what he brings to this team. That is gonna be so valuable on and off the field.
Speaker 1: John Metchi. We noticed him. He looked a lot better in OTAs. How's he looking out here? I guess it's just one day in, But tell me what he's gonna bring in year three of his career.
Speaker 3: Well, he looks much more explosive. There's no question. Yesterday he beat a defensive back on a route. Just kind of jabbed outside win inside, got inside the dB. Not a great throw, but that's the one thing I think John's really got to focus on. He's got to snatch and catch every football thrown to him. He's getting himself open now and you can see some of that. Oh, this is how we looked at Alabama. He's got to catch the football and beat dynamic with it. And it can't just be you know, you catch it out in the flat because you're the checkdown. He's got to catch it in traffic and then he's gonna make something happen after that. That's gonna be Mechi to me, that's gonna be the key for John this this training camp. Catch everything in high traffic areas because that's where your opportunities are gonna come potentially in this offense, and you got to make the most of them.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: What about Xavier Hutchinson, who he's a yack guy as well, he can get you yards after the reception.
Speaker 2: What is he doing so far? And where do you expect him to go catch? The day?
Speaker 3: Yesterday speed out on the sideline in front of me, Davis threw a ball probably two three yards outside, you know, outside of the sideline where you need to and and X just goes up, dives, catches it. And again I go back to that last year, X had a couple opportunities he wasn't able to hang on to. There's one against the Colts where there are like three eyes around him, but he had his hands on it. And X will tell you those are the catches he's got to make. When I went to Big twelve media days are Ranto Matt Campbell coach him at Iowa State, and you talk about a love fest. They love him there and you love him here for those same reasons. He works hard, He knows every single receiver position, and he can kind of do that weapon X stuff. He could be that guy you put in the backfield and you can run up, you know, jet sweeps with you, can you know, fake it to him, go one way, throw him back a screen like they did in the game against the Ravens. I think he had probably like thirteen fifteen touches off last year, but he did good things with him. I think the next step is to do more with those touches and really get this coaching staff's attention. But when you make catches like he did yesterday, it's gonna be hard to keep your eyes off.
Speaker 1: E Xavier Hutchinson all right, we just talked about six receivers. We're gonna keep going here and listen to some of these names, and we'll start with Noah Brown, who made some massive plays for this team last year.
Speaker 2: Great to see him out here on day one.
Speaker 3: I mean, where was this team? Where was this team last year? Where was this team gonna be without Noah Brown? I mean the Saints game, he makes key catches and now one obviously the Bucks game, the Cincinnati game, and everybody forgets the Tennessee game in week fifteen when we go to Tennessee, he has eight for eighty two in the touchdown case.
Speaker 2: Was looking him up. I mean, he's reliable, he's tough. He's bigger than he appears.
Speaker 3: Like when you see him on TV, you think, oh, he's, you know, kind of skinny, and no, he's like six three two fifteen.
Speaker 2: So he's well put.
Speaker 3: Together, doesn't say a word, just goes about his job, blocks does all the little things. I love the fact that he was brought back here. Was not out in OTA's in mini camp rehabbing from some injuries. But he was out here yesterday, So I'm excited what he brings back. He's number seven guy we've talked about, Yeah, how about seven?
Speaker 1: How about number eight? A Super Bowl champion Ben Scarnick. Yeah, Ben Skronick, who they acquire from the Rams.
Speaker 2: And he's the kind of player can help your team win in a variety of ways.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think if you there's always that question, hey, is there a player in your squad that could play any position? On a football field. Yep, Ben's ben' Skaronic could play any position. He told us that an interview. He go over and play nickel on defense if he had to, and go cover wide receivers in the slot. Good size six three two twenty. I don't know their dame went to La his rookie year they won a Super Bowl contribute on special teams played at receiver when they you know that year Robert Woods got banged up, OBJ gets hurt in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Ben Scronick's got to go.
Speaker 3: In and run routes in the Super Bowl and play at wide receivers able to do that, So he's got that at Super Bowl experience and he just does everything.
Speaker 2: He's gonna know every position out of this field.
Speaker 3: And look, you get to a point where you could tell him, we talked about it yesterday. You have full back options, but you only carry one during the game. So if you've got a couple guys banged up, you could turn to Ben Scronick and say, hey, we need you to do the fullback stuff.
Speaker 2: He would do it.
Speaker 3: He's a jack of all trades and he I don't want to say he's a master of none, but he's really good at a lot of them. Now, is he elite at anything?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 3: But where he's elite is his versatility in his being able to do anything on a football field.
Speaker 1: All right, So now we are nine deep, Johnny, nine deep, because we just did scronic and we're gonna do Steven Simms the ninth guy and the ninth guy happen to return a punt for a touchdown in a playoff game.
Speaker 2: Mike Good that the last touchdown the Texans scored at twenty twenty three. Steven Simms.
Speaker 3: He I think the only thing that holds Stephen back from being a consistent fifty three man roster guy is is just his consistent hands, just you know, being consistent catching everything. If you gave Steven Simms DeAndre Hopkins hands, Steven Simms would be on this roster, no question asked. He is dynamic when he gets the ball in space. Last year he was active in three games, but in those games Bobby Slowan died him up.
Speaker 2: They threw him screens. Let him get the ball and make things happen.
Speaker 3: Obviously he did it on special teams for Steven Simms, he got a lot of confidence. I remember when he came into our studio the spring of twenty three for an interview, and you can just tell he was kind of quiets, didn't really want to say much to us when he walked in the studio.
Speaker 2: This past year with us, he had bounced to his step a lot more confidence.
Speaker 3: I think that that game against Baltimore just gave him confidence, like man, I did that in a big spot. So now you've got four big spots the preseason and this joint practice against the Rams to really show, hey, I can I can do it on these new kickoff returns. I can do it on punt returns. I can do it from the slot. If he can master those three, well, it's gonna be hard to really keep him off this roster.
Speaker 2: Mark. All right, we just named nine receivers. But wait, there's more. It's like an infomercial.
Speaker 1: Yes, but wait, all right, I got four more guys here, and we'll do them quickly. Okay, all right, Quintes Siphus. You talked to Nick about him yesterday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did, because I've been a Cephas fan for a while. Now. He's he's been off for a year due to a suspension from the league, but he can fly.
Speaker 3: He is an absolute true to life downfield threat ball skills to go up over guys. I mean, like, that's his game is deep downfield. When our buddy Jesse Clark was here, that's what Sephuz was at the University of Wisconsin. Jesse was my office mate, and he would always ask me about Cephis and I was like, I love his downfield ability. He would be good with us because at that time we had one Deshaun Watson who liked to throw the ball down the field. Cephis now gets here again with a quarterback that wants to throw the ball on the field.
Speaker 2: So I think it was a really good pickup. What do you lose?
Speaker 3: What do you lose in bringing in a guy shaking off the rust, give him some preseason time and see if you can't hit a couple of deep balls and get people excited.
Speaker 1: All right, now, let's go to the next one, which would be Jaden Jankee or Yankee. Sorry, it's definitely a soft jay Johnny yeah, Yankee, Okay, yeah, sure, yeah. I have not gone over the pronunciation guide for the fourth teamers, which.
Speaker 2: He is one right now. His twin is gone. Is that going to affect him? Probably not? Probably not?
Speaker 3: But what about him, but they have never played a football game without one another, so yeah, probably probably does. Really good player move them At South Dakota State. He and his brother are a little bit different, so we'll see where Jayden fits. But really good hands, good size, six to one to ten runs well, I'm not gonna tell you he runs like tank, but he runs pretty well. And he's gonna make himself known in not only team scrimmages, team opportunities, but he's preseason games because he'll also got on special teams too, and he and his brother.
Speaker 2: Obviously his brother's not here anymore.
Speaker 3: But he and his brother are really interested in Texans because they have four preseason opportunities and you get the joy practice against the Rams, so I know they're really excited about that. And if he gets in a little bit of a groove, I'm telling you he's gonna be a guy that gets people's attention. If he weren't watching him at South Dakota State, shame on you. Well, no, you probably weren't watching South Dakota State.
Speaker 2: Not much.
Speaker 3: Really good young player that i'd like to see stick around, even if it's not in a fifty three.
Speaker 2: Just stand in a practice squad all year.
Speaker 3: Develop, continue to develop your body, learn its offense, and see what you can do in twenty twenty five. I know he's not thinking that way, but I know the team's gotta be thinking that way about using him as a developmental guy in the future.
Speaker 1: Two more and it feels like these guys have been around here for years, but they haven't. But they've been around here. Johnny Johnson, who wants a bout a time? A game winner in a preseason game. I almost had playoff game preseason game out of orgon Johnny Johnson.
Speaker 3: I've been a big fan of Johnny for a long time. This game against Arizona State back in twenty nineteen. He had a tremendous night against the sun Devils that night, and I was like, man, he's got something.
Speaker 2: He's got size, he's thick, you know. Tas in mini camp.
Speaker 3: I thought he was much more decisive after catching the ball, getting up the field kind of doing what Nico's doing. Rackability, but he's got really good hands, good concentration. He's been active in Week eighteen the last two years now. He's not gotten a ton of offensive reps, but just shows hey, you hang around, you never know when your opportunity is gonna come. Johnny's that guy healthy, you have opportunities to make plays in the preseason and then stick around and then you never know what happens.
Speaker 1: All right, What about Jared Wayne, the big receiver from Pitt six three to ten.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, great great catch, case Keenum throw a back shoulder ball. I can't remember who's covering him, but it was a great catch. I mean just right where you want a back shoulder ball to be. Case put in that spot. And then Wayne's big, I mean he's six ' three, he's got he's got glu sticks.
Speaker 2: Gotta stay healthy.
Speaker 3: Last year training camp, got banged up early in training camp, and that, to me is for a rookie is such a tough one because you start getting momentum going and then you get hurt. You're out for two three weeks. Now they've played preseason games and the train is you get on the train. But now you gotta get back to the front. And that's hard. And so if he can stay healthy, because of how long tall and his ball skills down the field, he's gonna he'll be interesting in these preseason games. If he gets opportunities to do that.
Speaker 1: There's the breakdown of the wide receiver group. One of the men who was discussed, Robert Woods. I visited with him after his first practice to check in and see how the VET was doing.
Speaker 6: Felt great to be back out here, get with the guys, get get going, get running. Felt good just to see everybody out here making players moving fast. The energy and excitement was there, especially day one. It's good just to get this twenty four season going.
Speaker 1: You've been in some pretty deep wide receiver rooms. This has to be among the deepest.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is from from top to bottom, as guys who are truly complete receivers. Feel like I've been on rosters where you have you have your your receivers, you have your special team receivers, you have your returners.
Speaker 2: But I feel like this team is.
Speaker 6: Full of football players, receivers, guys who could get open, get separation, and and do special teams and do punt return Like that's the most crisp room I've been in. Technical receivers being coached by a great coach, Bim Mcdniams.
Speaker 2: It always seems like CJ.
Speaker 1: Stroud looks for you, often does in tough situations, some third down conversion situations, tell the listeners why that.
Speaker 6: Is just being reliable, knowing the defense, no one zones, no one saw spots. When those third downs and critical situations, defenses are usually trying to throw different coverages, different pressures at you. Just being able to be uh reliable, being able to know the offense being available, and uh, it's just it just comes down to just being a trustworthy receiver and fortunate that CJ believes in me to do that. And that's just my job as a receiver to be reliable, be open to find soft zones.
Speaker 1: What about this defensive backs group that you're facing in all these practices, OTA's mini camp and now in training camp.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 6: I mean, we we know we had a great corner and sting and we've always uh watched some great receiver corners Jeff and CJ. And actually seeing them here like, oh, they kind of a little bigger when you see them every day. And uh, just guys who are are athletic, physical, getting getting hands on. I feel like it's a great group of guys and even teaching our younger guys. Baltimore is making some some really great plays off from spring hoping a great camp from him, but uh, that's a technician group as well on the defensive side.
Speaker 1: What do you make of this coaching staff because keeping it intact was a huge development this offseason with Bobby Slowick Rod Johnson as the quarterbacks coach and everybody else that you work with, Ben McDaniels, et cetera.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's tough when you have a successful year, uh Rath and gay everybody, you're you're a hot team. How coming you have success and teams are looking to to to take that apart and build their own. And we were able to keep our staff intact. Uh, just keep some continuity on offensive side, able to keep Slow which is great for CJ or offense, and uh, it's just huge to be able to keep growing as a team and as offense. Like we uh we we we think we had a okay year. Uh truthfully, but it's a great year for what it was. You know, we had a rookie quarterback, rookie coach, everything new. It was like that was a good year. But truthfully, that's that's the average NFL season. I think everybody in this building knows that and had off season to really realize that, oh yeah, we did good, but in reality, everybody was able to focus in on hone in and building this team up even better, coming in to this training camp knowing what we're capable of and trying to take that to the next level. We got a zase here Austree on the d line. Signed Jerry Hughes again. But like you see Diggs, we're bringing Joe Mixon. We're bringing in guys to take this thing to the next level.
Speaker 2: We know we're good.
Speaker 6: We now we have the weapons and everything to go along with the mindset, the coaching and the mentality to.
Speaker 2: Make it a good season. Make it a great season. One more for your Robert.
Speaker 1: When you look at this training camp, it's longer than the rest because you're playing that first game. So you report early, practice early. Does that mean anything? How do you approach that different if at all?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's football. We all love football.
Speaker 6: You gotta love a game. Yeah, it is an extra week, it is an extra game, reporting early and everything. But like when you love the game of football, you love being around your guys. It's a joy to come in to work, it's a joy to be in the building.
Speaker 2: You want the.
Speaker 6: Opportunity to be able to play football again. I mean, you don't really, you only get a few camps and a few experiences like this to be around these guys and these teams. You just gotta take full advantage of it. We get an extra week to prepare, extra week to build, and extra week to bond, and that's the extra week to be.
Speaker 5: A stronger team.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Thanks a lot of Robberie, thank you.
Speaker 1: There's Robert Woods, and there is the show. Of course, we will attend tomorrow's practice. Have plenty of information on Houston Texans dot com about it. Monday morning, back out there at the field the Houston Methodist Training Center eight am. And Tuesday the first open practice with the crowd buzzing.
Speaker 2: Can't wait. Have a great weekend, Go Texans.