Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hull that for me. I'm a man, I'm.
Speaker 2: For I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for a day? Edith Steak is that woo woof?
Speaker 2: And them and Tie, welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is Tie hilde Brand, joinny me is always over there, the one and only Dan Rubustein and frigid snowy Chicago Bans Sir, how are you truly?
Speaker 1: My back is is very, very sore because as always I have to carry this snow all over the place. There's something to you just think I was gonna say show I claim I was. I'm in a worried Yeah, where you were getting with that? A lot of shovely. Maybe we'll get to snow and shovel talk. Make people stick around for the real juicy meat of this college football shovel talk. Yeah, shovel talk. I'm all right, I'm alright. I'm a little bit sore, but I'm accomplished and I'm ready to talk about quarterbacks and I suppose anything else within the college football universe you want to talk about.
Speaker 2: I was just outside running the snowblower, just trying to get ahead of things, cause we're I think, in the throes of getting two feet here. So I got that nice like gasoline smell that you get from running a large piece of machinery. So I'm rough and humble. I'm ready to jump on in and do what we do here with it, which is a college wall podcast. Correct year round can confirm soliverbo dot com is the website. Verballers dot com is the Patreon dan and love it. Look, it's the off season. We're only doing two regular shows a week, but if you're going out to verballers dot com you can find what the bonus schedule looks like. Going to be releasing some bonus content out there. I think it's been working well. We've been using Patreon as like the lab if you will, right, We've been trying stuff out, throwing it against the wall, seeing what sticks. We've got a teaming community of for ballers who are out there. We got a great suggestion, you know, I've been playing games on Twitch, the NC fourteen video game. One of the folks who stops by on a regular basis suggested that we should offer up player names. Player names like that idea to our verballers. So you know we've got the Patreon for ballers. Yeah, we've got hundreds of Patreon subscribers that I should offer up to premium for ballers. Metal Chance Tommy Lynn, Dan Klobekar. Yeah, all those guys their chance to be emblazoned upon the Navy dynasty that I have got some.
Speaker 1: Nathan league going on. Maybe as a wide out, I'm looking the c meg bear to large nose tackle, a war Daddy tie Jake, the good ag Span Drew. You can build a pretty ridiculous squad here craseel of course, of course, Chick and Joe Freezy, shout out Jig and Joe.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. It's a great idea. So anyway, for ballers dot com, that's Patriot, that's where you go and find stuff out and find out details on the Navy franchise that is underway. Social media, you know, all the usual hotspots. Subscribed to the newsletter solid verble dot com. What are we doing today?
Speaker 1: So I took a bunch of questions from social media about quarterbacks, past present, future of any team, any situation, what have you. We got a number of excellent questions. We're going to go through them. It spans all sorts of college football areas and I don't is there news you want to get into? Tie? Is there something that's I mean, we have some trend like Will Levis is leaving Penn State. I don't know if you have thoughts on that. Well, you can dovetail into the Penn State quarterback room with that, I think if we want.
Speaker 2: I think we could transition into the first question, which had to do with Sewan Clifford and Penn State and the like, well, what kinds of questions did you tee up?
Speaker 1: I mean Teddy brew returning to the University of Arizona as a senior advisor. Chipper Jones is going to help some braves hit. There's no news you want to talk about.
Speaker 2: It feels like kind of a slow news day, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Okay, Eric Hilbert's going to Florida, which is pretty enormous and obviously Dan Maull Eric, right, Eric, Eric, Eric, like you're from You're from West Aaron, That's right, Eric, Yeah, So we have do you want to play? Do we have a sound for questions? You've got mail that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Let's see what do I got here? Do I have You've got mail?
Speaker 1: Do I have it?
Speaker 2: I have it? It's not real, that's not it's mail. Sound. It's been a while since I played the meal.
Speaker 1: It's all social media too, so it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: I'll find it all right, keep going. I have to find the cell here it is. Congratulationsippy, you've got mail, You've got may on the solid verbal. I've rearranged this soundboard so many damn times that I can't find the necessary sounds anymore. But yees, so we solicited messages. It's not all email. It's a lot of social media. But you went out there earlier today and you try to tee up a very specific line of questioning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was one of the things. By the way, our verballa is on Patreon mentioned love to have more specific Q and as, so I went with quarterback room basically. And we have a number of questions about a number of schools across different conferences. I guess let's start with Penn State because I mentioned it. I also enjoyed that Will Levis had kind of an off season, Ben Simmons hitting a three pointer mixtape that was released on social media. Yeah, a couple of weeks ago of him completing passes against air nothing against will evis who does Penn State roll with Sean Clifford grad transfer somebody else? That's from Josh and then Ian also mentioned does it look like the whole plane will be made of Clifford? Is this bad? Let's start with Penn State quarterbacking to really to really sex up this college football talk in February.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm content with anyone but Clifford. Okay, ABC, anyone but Clifford? Is I think the answer for me? Yeah, you went back. I know you said you watched some of Clifford and your comment to me, I'm looking for it here. He ain't it is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to let's avoid being mean as best we can in some of these cases. Sean Clifford looks like he just is not a high level quarterback. I hope he has a bounce back year. And you know, the twenty twenty season, it's a very different experience for all of these guys playing and between the opt outs, between the different living situations and not seeing family, like you can understand how somebody could have a dip of a year and bounce back in a more normal season. Should we have that in our future? So I'm well, you know, somebody like Graham Mertz. So some of you know Jensen had a question about Graham Mertz, will be like early season or late season Mertz. He got sick in the middle of the year. He missed time, and so there's an element to like, we don't fully know hopefully who Grahamertz is quite yet, And I don't know. Sean Clifford led a team to a bunch of wins two years ago. They got to a New Year six game, right, so we know that there is a version of Sean Clifford that can be pretty good if everything is operating around him. That was a more talented team on offense, a more proven team on offense. I don't feel good about where Penn State is right now. I suppose you roll with Clifford. There's a new offensive coordinator, So depending on how confident you are in Mike your six ability. But again it's starting over once again. It's starting over once again on offense. And you know, they had the depth issues at running back and receiver. They had issues and you know Johan Dotson and they had a freshman step up. Now his name escapes me. Washington, Parker Washington. Did I make that name up? Okay? And I don't have their line depth in front of me right now, but it just seems there is a definitive right now with what he looks like seven to eight wins, ceiling with Sean Welford.
Speaker 2: So look here, here's the thing we talked about. Clifford when he played twelve games in twenty nineteen, came in with a fair amount of acclaim, and I felt went the root of just never getting better. Had a fine year, completed almost sixty percent of his passes in twenty nineteen. Did not feel to me like he got better, pretty good, pretty good? He was fine. Yeah, this year if we look at what he did in nine games again, completed about sixty percent of his passes, sixteen touchdowns, nine interceptions. The thing in particular that I was looking at going into this year was are we going to see any kind of improvement? It was a new offensive coordinator, like you said, circum.
Speaker 1: What's his name? What's his name? And do we have a sound?
Speaker 2: Kirk Sharrock. I think we retired this sound now, No Rock good. That sound may have been a curse, possibly, but you know, I understand there are circumstances, but I also understand that Clifford again did not look like he got much better, So I worry about that. I think that the offense as a whole will be pretty fine. Johan Dotson coming back a big deal. Hopefully Noah Caine's healthy. He'll be your number one running back again. The line, they're moving some guys around, but it should be okay. I feel okay about the offense, but I don't feel great about the quarterback position. So personally, I'm willing to roll the dice with Takwan Robertson. Personally, I'm willing to roll the dice with Takwan Roberson or Christian Veoh.
Speaker 1: Roberson's a smaller guy though, right he's like five to ten small is yeah, five ten, five eleven, Okay, I mean that's its own list of challenges, but you know, we've seen guys thrive at that height.
Speaker 2: Or Christian Voe my new favorite name, the true freshman who committed early and is already on campus.
Speaker 1: So I guess we can go through a lot of these quarterback situations. Be it a quarterback battle that's going to play out over spring and fall, camp and perhaps into the season at a lot of these places, and talk about guys that we've already seen play. Is there room to grow or have they just have they hit that ceiling? Yeah, Clifford, I hear from you. He's hit the seal, Sean Clifford. We've seen the best of Sean Clifford, whereas somebody he was actually at least statistically identical two in twenty nineteen. Kyle Trask did not hit his ceiling in twenty nineteen. No, and so he made that move in Shan Clifford didn't. I hope Sean Clifford has a bounce back here because you've mentioned guys that would be very fun to have a really good quarterback throwing to them.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think we've if you are counting on Penn State bouncing back to New Year's six ish, and Sean Clifford is starting all year, I have my concerns.
Speaker 2: All right, what's the next one up here? Do I see a JT. Shrout? Question?
Speaker 1: You do see a JT shout? I actually kind of like JT shut.
Speaker 2: That's a deep cut going JT. Shrout. He comes over from Tennessee.
Speaker 1: These questions are no particular order. By the way, you can you can ask whatever you want.
Speaker 2: This question from Nate. Now, let's talk. Tennessee is noteworthy. They're in the news. JT. Shroud transferring from Tennessee over to Colorado. He's red shirt sophomore. He played in eight total games during his time to Tennessee.
Speaker 1: He came in relief against Florida and actually looked pretty good in the second half. He relieved Harrison Bailey.
Speaker 2: Got a really strong arm. He's from the West Coast. He's from California, so it's a little bit closer to home going over to Boulder. I guess I like it. I don't know, do you have any strong opinions on this.
Speaker 1: The quarterback last year, I believe was a converted safety. That quarterback room is just thin, and so they ran the ball really well last year with Jarrick Broussard. I think there are steps to be taken, for sure in Colorado. I think he's fine. I think he's totally fine. I think they need bodies, they need an arm, they need something lively, and I'm excited to see what he can do if he is fully empowered as the starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: Jensen wants to know who is the real Graham Mertz. Well, the real Graham Mertz, please stand up. Will he be like early season or late season Mertz in twenty twenty one? That, my friend, is a hell of a question.
Speaker 1: So the good news for Graham Mertz is if we're going to kind of throw away his post COVID stretch, which was pretty bad, if we're gonna throw that away, and he's going to have a full year and presumably spring and summer workouts and fall camp and just getting used to the offense and getting used to being the guy because if you remember what King Cone got hurt, and that's what thrust Graham Mertz into the starting position.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: So the concern I have about Graham Mertz realizing his potential is, well, one, he's gonna he should be behind a very good line, and I mean, these are the positives that jalen Berger looks like he's going to be the guy at running back. Julius Davis also promising, but jaalen Berger was the clear best running back in that room, not Jonathan Taylor tailback. But that's encouraging for a team that does rely on play action to complete a ton. I just don't see an obvious dude pass catcher for Wisconsin. They haven't gone out and found studs at receiver every year. You look at their room right now, there's guys, but they didn't seem to be in huge demand. The passing game was pretty woeful last year in terms of separation from where it was with Quintes Cephis the year before. And they've had guys. But I just I don't know that Grammertz can even I don't know if we can see his ceiling. I think there's fog in Madison because I don't know where winter wonders whatever. I don't know where like an all big ten receiver is anywhere near this roster. It's just so hard to gauge. I don't know if we can really get a good feel for this one.
Speaker 2: Again. You'll recall October twenty third. I want to say Wisconsin against Illinois, first game of the year, twenty of twenty one to five touchdowns, two forty eight against Illinois. It was against Illinois, but that's a hell of an opening. Stanza next week against Michigan on the road, twelve of twenty two, two touchdowns, no picks.
Speaker 1: He didn't do much though he didn't really go down one hundred and twenty seven yards. That was Michigan's offense growing up a ton and was hundred's defense taking advantage one hundred and twenty seven yards. He threw a touchdown the next week, but three interceptions against was Northwestern, excuse me now, and then he went three straight games without throwing a touchdown. Pass closed out the year that way.
Speaker 2: Threw one in the bowl game, but it was a very like uneven, almost depreciating stat line for him as he went from week to weeks. So I still think that he's a really good quarterback. He seems like he has the He seems as if he's got the skill set, and I hate to use a cliche term, he does seem as if he can make all the throws. But there is a question out wide that I think you rightfully bring up. The running game wasn't up to stuff this year. Either. No, you know, maybe they found their guy. But the Wisconsin offense, as we've come to know and love it really does depend on having that strong running game that it can lean upon and then play off that in the passing game. So I think it's incomplete at this point. We got to wait and see what we get from Graham Mertz. Hopefully he gets a full cycle where he can work on his game and improve.
Speaker 1: Forty one pass attempts, seven points against Northwest. Yeah, obviously here in a very raucous Evanston area. But yeah, if he threw the ball more than twenty two times small sample size in a game this year, Wisconsin lost. And that's just more of a statement about where Wisconsin's offense is or isn't right now. So I'm hopeful, I'm hopeful that his ceiling is higher. I think there's more reasonably even Grammertz right now. The problem is again what his surrounding offense looks like. Because there have been Wisconsin quarterbacks these past few years who have had it good in terms of always having a tight end or two, always having a clear number one option at receiver or two very good options. Right now, it looks like there's a bit of a drought there.
Speaker 2: Eric wants to know about USC. This is a good question. Yeah, USC's last two long term starting quarterbacks are either a first round pick and Sam Darnold or projected to be Keaton Slovis. However, both required injured players ahead of them to see the field Slovis needed two injuries. Why do coaches fail to see the best quarterback in practice so often? Is a loaded question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot here, but yeah, do you have any thoughts about this?
Speaker 2: It's not always apparent. Sometimes it takes a circumstance to figure out who your best quarterback is. You don't always know. I was talking earlier. I did the Shamrock with our friends Pete Sampson and Matt Fortuna in The Athletic their podcast Go and Check it Out, tweeted it out. I think you did already. We talked a little bit about ian Book. When ian Book came in for Brandon Wimbush, it was sort of like, really, we're going to go to Ian Book and not Brandon Wimbush. Wimbush came in with much acclaim.
Speaker 1: Yeah, much bigger arm.
Speaker 2: On paper, even in practice. I think look the part, very much looked the part. Something about the game though, for Brandon Wimbush did not compute, and Ian Book came in against I think wake Forest and instantly took command of the offense. From a skill standpoint, Brandon Wimbush was way more athletic. I had much more in the way of physical tools to work. But for whatever reason, Ian Book took command. Say what you want about him. Look, there's nobody been more skeptical of Book than me. But the numbers are there. He won a lot of games at Notre Dame. No one will say anything that will ever take that away. So it's just a very complex problem. First and foremost, how does a guy react there when he's out in the heat of battle? Does he perform the same way he does in practice?
Speaker 1: Right, It's a mental thing, for sure.
Speaker 2: There's a mental component also, especially at a school like a USC. Again, say what you want about USC, but recruiting quarterbacks to come in there and be in the quarterback room is never really a hard thing to do. They always have a lot of talent to pick from. And so I think it's a combination of the mental side. It's certainly a combination of the scheme. It's a combination of staying healthy, which Eric brings up here in the in the in the question. But you know, take JT. Daniels for example. JT. Daniels I thought looked really good in his very short time at USC. He gets hurt. Keaton Slovis jumps in Now JT. Daniels still very good just across the country for Georgia. So it's not all on the coach. So in this specific situation, I have heard firsthand from the coaching staff, from people on that field that USC did not want to start Sam Darnold in that first game as a red shirt freshman because it would have been against Alabama, and throwing somebody into that kind of arena, a Javier arena, if you will, I'm so sorry, I regret it already like that, throwing somebody in their very first game as a young player can do a lot of damage if it goes poorly in terms of confidence, in terms of emotion, whatever. Max Brown had been in that program for a long time as an upperclassman, had a command of the offense, and was beaten out as I believe a true freshman by Cody Kessler if I'm not mixing up my US quarterback timelines. And so it was sort of seen as we think he's pretty good. He might not have the physical ceiling of Sam Donald, he might not have the arm of Sam Donald, who was I think wowing people in practice the year before, but certainly raw Like, let's see what we have in Max Brown? When the bullets are firing, and it wasn't great. It just wasn't great.
Speaker 1: And so I imagine that it was USC coaches informed imagination, knowing that Sam Donald had a higher ceiling, knowing Sam Donald was just much more of a playmaker, improviser, you know, wouldn't shrink away from the moment, but they didn't want to do him that harm, knowing that it wasn't going to be all that pretty against Alabama. Probably, so that's why that happened. I don't think the USC coaches were blind to the fact that Sam Donald was a better quarterback than Max Brown. They're pretty good at what they do, maybe not the best in college football, they're pretty good. I think with Keaton Slovas, JT. Daniels was the arm talent. He was just an injury thing, and they were I think it was clear to anybody who was in that practice that JD. Daniels was far closer to being a starting quarterback as a true freshman than Keaton Slovas showed himself to be, even though he was impressive early on and eventually took over. USC had a crowded room, so I think it's tough. I think it is that emotional element of what does this guy look like in a game? What does this guy look like at full speed when guys are bearing down? And both Keaton Slovas and Sam Darnold obviously passed the test. But yeah, there's definitely a difference in a comfort level and a confidence that guys either have or don't when when things get real.
Speaker 2: This question to me, I'm going to change it. Oh okay, Matt says, is there an actor who has played more quarterbacks than Keanu Reeves?
Speaker 1: Oh? This is guy. I posted a Shane Falco gift in the tweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, only two, but I can't think of another actor who has played more than one. Adam Sailor comes close, but was but only one was a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Right, you've got a question Bobby Bouche and he was the longest yard as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got a note here, who's your favorite? Originally a quarterback but moved to X. Could be a Bell Dozer type, could be a Joel Lanning Chas Serrat type, could be a Braxton Miller type, could be a college quarterback to NFL other position type like Terrell Pryor, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Right, I love that question. My question was just going to be and I don't think there aren't any that I know of who have played quarterback more than once. I know Keano's done it. Do you have a favorite TV quarterback, favorite movie quarterback?
Speaker 1: Favorite TV or movie quarterback?
Speaker 2: You know? So, like we talk in, we could go Shane Falco since its topical.
Speaker 1: I mean Voodoo Tatum. I don't know the actor's name from Friday Night Lights. He was real fun. I like a grizzled older quarterback.
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: Is it Willy Beeman, Stephen Willie Beeman? Yeah, right, that's a good option. I haven't this is me on the spot because you haven't given me.
Speaker 2: I'm partial. I'm partial to Johnny Mox from Varsity Blues.
Speaker 1: And have you seen his jeans? Have you looked back and seen pictures of his jeans in that movie's jeans?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So look up mocks uh jeans in uh? Shoot, what's the name of the movie Arsity Varsity Blues? Look up mox jeans Varsity Blues. Okay, Looking, he's a very serious character. It should be the first image that comes up on Google image. He's a very serious character. He's got his arm against the wall. He's talking to a lady friend. Perhaps he's got these gigantic genes.
Speaker 2: These are like, these are like hampints. They're huge.
Speaker 1: He's he's wearing jinkos in a serious scene because you know the movie out when jeans were bag here and it's just a hilarious rewatch.
Speaker 2: Those are enormous. Dan from a denim perspective, right, good lord.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good movie. I don't have a favorite, but do you have a favorite positional switch or positional switch situation?
Speaker 2: I am partial to the quarterback to linebacker maneuver. I love that. I think that's my favorite because you know, if you if you get the right announcer, they're going to play off that and say, oh, Chas Surrat's now the quarterback of the defense, of course, which could very easily be a fantasy things selection could have been this year with respect to Chas Surrat. So I think that's probably my favorite.
Speaker 1: I personally enjoy the move to receiver just because there's always that potential for a double pass and do you get to learn do they still have it? There's always that, you know, the Antoine Randall, l Julianetta and troll. Pryor actually tried to play quarterback in the NFL, And that's a nice what if too. What would Terrell Pryor have done to big ten defensive backs at six six and an impossible red zone target? And he was a fantastic quarterback obviously for Ohio State, but what type of nightmare would he have been for Ohio State? Oh Man, that would have been amazing. So yeah, I think it is the receivers just because of the trip play potential, and you get Cardell Stewart and he's slashed. And if you get a guy who's just too talented, you get that gravitational player too.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: So that's my answer. But I understand where you're coming from, because there is an element of swallowing your pride if you are your Chas Surat Joel Lanning type, where we don't even want you on that side of the ball. We think you're too aggressive. Go out and hit somebody and read offenses instead of running one. Those guys thrive. I love it.
Speaker 2: There's definitely some bit of cerebral overlap there going from quarterback to quarterback of the defense, if you will, But you know, they're just so different from a skill standpoint, quarterbacks don't have to tackle unless they throw a really bad interception. How do you discover this in practice, that Chaz Surrat could play quarterback but may actually be a first round NFL selection as a linebacker. It just seems really hard to discover that. Even as a receiver. Well, I imagine he probably played it in high school or something. I get this, Yeah, I get that, But how do you test that? How do you test that if quarterback depth is a thing, right, I don't know. It just seems like there are two incompatible skill sets that would be very tough to discern. Meanwhile, if you're a receiver, you know you run the trick plays obviously, if you're a guy like a Trell Prior, let's say it didn't exactly happened for him that conversion in college, but like he could go out and he could run roots and he can catch balls in practice.
Speaker 1: I think we should drug Bud Elliott and Brandon Huffman and all sorts of recruiting people. And here the all time chose to play the wrong position in college team and ended up screwing them, or maybe not screwing them, as they went on to the NFL because I remember to this day, Brandon Huffman will tell med Anthony Thomas should have been a corner and he cost himself a ton of money playing you know, slotback or whatever he did for Oregon. We got a couple of questions about Northwestern and Ryan Helensky. Okay, what does your take on Northwestern's quarterback situation with Ramsey out, Peyton Ramsey out and new transfer Ryan Halinsky from South Carolina originally from the West Coast coming in. Is Helensky the walk in starter even after leaving South Carolina.
Speaker 2: Man, I was all in on the Hunter Johnson move to Northwestern. Yeah, and that did not work at all.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing to me, I don't think you go to Northwestern to revive your career as a future NFL quarterback or All American caliber quarterback. I think you transferred to Northwestern because it seems stable. You're gonna win games, you get a good education, You're in a big city if that's something you're into, or near a big city, and there's an element to Northwestern football that's just consistent, and if you're in a place that is pretty volatile, like I think we can assume South Carolina has been these past couple of years. Maybe that's what you're looking for. You're gonna have a good defense, most likely on the other side of the ball. It's just hard to see. I mean, Northwestern' is another situation like Wisconsin, possibly even lower. They lose their top four pass catchers. I believe our seniors. I don't know if there any of them are coming back. But this was not an amazing offense. It was an improved offense this year with Peyton Rams. I think they went from like one hundred and twenty ninth to seventy fifth in points per drive. But I don't think it matters. I think he's fine. I think he's okay. He wasn't the answer in the SEC and you know, had moments, made plays, but all in all, he was not somebody who looked like he improved over the course of his year. Started thrust into a starting role when Jake Bentley got hurt. So I am I'm hoping for the best. I expect at best an average Northwestern offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think that's where we're at with this.
Speaker 1: With this we got it, by the way, we still are getting is so and so the next Joe Burrow or Colvin wants to know, does Joe Burrow give enough credibility to LSU to shed its bad quarterback developer baggage got we got a Jack Cone next Joe Burrow, which no, no, no, no, no no no, walk me through, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, let me go back here to this Ryan first, go to Ryan Helensky. I don't think it matters either. I don't think it matters either. I feel like.
Speaker 1: He's awful.
Speaker 2: It matters if he's awful. And Peyton Ramsey was fine, he was fine, he was fine my plays. But I just I'm so over the quarterback situation at Northwestern. I feel like it always lets me down. Unless you've got somebody who can scramble around and make plays. It's just not an offense. It's going to be that high flying. And I don't know how much it matters to have a quarterback. You don't want someone who's gonna shoot you in the foot, but outside of that, as long as you have that guy, I'm just like, I think I'm personally over it. I'm very disappointed because I thought the Hunter Johnson thing was going to be better than it ended up being. And like in his case, he wasn't going to play at Clemson. He went to Northwestern and they had an opening. He was closer to home, and it bombed horribly. I don't know how much of that is his fault versus how much of that as the coaches or the system, what have you. But I just I'm kind of over it. So I hope it works for Ryan Helenski, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Speaker 1: What I'm hearing from you subtext between the lines overs Dan Persas just don't grow on trees.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: They grow at Liberty High School in Bethlehem, PA.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm hearing. So I'm playing person. Oh did you I did?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They just dominate.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. Yeah, I have breaking news TI Okay.
Speaker 1: You want to play the sound or just want to.
Speaker 2: I'm still not going to yell, but my voice is back to a two percent now. Oh I like it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, boo boo boo boo boo boo boop. We have a question from is Street ay y st I state I Street whatever? Who is Washington's next Jake? And the breaking news is in neither the Class of twenty twenty twenty twenty one nor twenty twenty two. Is there a Jake or Jacob in the top hundred quarterbacks? WHOA the Jake Lake has been drained a man after Jake Locker, Jacob Eas and Jake Browning other Jakes who didn't play. It looks like I mean Sam Hewartt is the quarterback of the future, son of Damon. By the way, if you want to feel old, the new prize quarterback at Washington, there's not going to be a new Jake or Jacob for some time.
Speaker 2: Is there a Jake somewhere else in the roster who could do the awkward position change two quarterback? Oh?
Speaker 1: Good question. I'll load it up right now.
Speaker 2: I want them so full roster. We need to Janeer.
Speaker 1: Transferred to Fresno State where he was. Okay, I'm on the our lads, Our lads page. There's no there's no Jacob after Jacob Eason left. Is there another Jake at least in the too deep there is not WHOA Dylan Moore yes as the starter right now? So if you had to for this next I think Washington's in a note like I think Dylan Morris is Okay, we'll see on sam Hewart. He's built pretty similar to Jake Browning. But if you were to look at previous Jakes that played for Washington, so that's Eason, Hayn, Browning. Locker really have been a lot. I think Jacob Sermon just left. He was one of the possible quarterbacks of the future. Crazy if you were to split the difference between Locker, Browning, Eason, Hayne or whatever, what does the next Jake bring to the table. So, Jacob Eason, this is such a weird question. Thank you. Jacob Eason. Tall, with a big arm, not super accurate, not a big winner. Jake Browning accurate, won a good deal, but physically, you know, he got hurt a lot and shrunk away, didn't really keep progressing after a really impressive early part of his career. Jake Locker really physically impressive, really athletic. Are we playing a game of Make a Jake?
Speaker 2: Is that what we're doing here?
Speaker 1: We're playing makea Jake? Okay, So what is the next very specific quarterback identity of the next Jake?
Speaker 2: So I think it has he he'd have to be a crazy scrambler, wouldn't he.
Speaker 1: Well, that's we had kind of that with Jake Locker. He was the most physically gifted in terms of arm strength and athleticism, but he was a big arm but not the mobility, right.
Speaker 2: I just think you have to go a hard swing in the mobility direction, like.
Speaker 1: So like a Khalil Tait type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just like a pure runner back there.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, interesting, Okay, so that's that's your next Jake prototype by Makeajake.
Speaker 2: My next makead Jake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. Next question, does Georgia and I want to have a sub question for this, Does Georgia have the best quarterback room in the country? This is from Colonel ag. I don't know why he's asking about Georgia, but if he's a TEXTA, A and M fan. But I digress to you, what is a quarterback room specifically because of the volume of potentially amazing players or is it situation? Because to me, a great quarterback room is like a Chris leaked Tim Tebow where you've got your grizzled veteran who you know is leaving and you've got your next guy up who's getting time and offers something different. To me, that's a great complimentary room. What does what makes a great quarterback room? And does Georgia to you have the best quarterback room in the nation with J. T. Daniels incoming brock Vanda Griff Yeah, I believe has red hair, which I always like to see throwback to the Ginga Ninja Joe Cox, and I think it's Carson Beck, another balloonship quarterback. And then the following season, following class is another five star quarterback in Gunner Stockton.
Speaker 2: Great name, what a name? What a name is?
Speaker 1: Stets Is that the most impressive room to you? Yeah, Steady Bennett's still there as well.
Speaker 2: So that's interesting to me because you know, so we remember where the saul started. Stets And Bennett's quarterback Stetson. Bennett acquitted himself well early diminishing returns. Eventually they turned it over to JT. Daniels. He kind of unlocks a different dimension of that Georgia offense. And now we're all in agreement that he's clearly the better of the two, probably the best of that quarterback room.
Speaker 1: Sure, but they thought they were gonna have Jamie Newman, and.
Speaker 2: They thought they were gonna have Jamie Newman, right, But stets And Bennett has experienced now and so to your point of the tebow leak thing. You have a guy that you can fall back on if you need to if something lead back up. Yep, yeah, if something happens to JT. Daniels who was coming off an injury, Stetson Bennett could be the guy that you fall back on if you have to. So you've got the depth. You also, I think have some other options. You mentioned brock Fandi, Giff fand a griff excuse me, good name, good name, really good prospect, really good prospect, big kid saw that he compares out at least according to twenty four to seven to like a Jared Stidham type, a big kid, dual threat Carson Beck. I don't think quite has that high of a ceiling, but still a really notal prospect to come in there and help boost the quarterback room. So I just think I'm rambling here, but where I'm going with this is You've got a guy on the top line in JT. Daniels, so you know he can produce. You've got someone in Stetson Bennett who, worst case scenario, you know, can come in and at least be a game manager at worst. And then you've got quarterback of the future in a vander griff In, a beck In, a Gunner coming in. So you've got so many options there, you'd be hard pressed to find many that are better than this one.
Speaker 1: Are we just gonna skim over the fact that there could potentially be a room with the following first names JT. Brock Stets and Carson and Gunner. From a name standpoint, it's not bad.
Speaker 2: It's very strong.
Speaker 1: No, that's incredible. That is a very modern Southern living boy band, JT. Brock Stets and Carson and Gunner. Yeah, that's like all five of those names are on a chalkboard of somebody who is far too public about their baby name choosing process. I like a Pinterest board, right correct, that's a Pinterest board of a quarterback room. I think right now i'd probably take in terms of proven commodities, I'd well, not proven commodities, but like the complementary nature, Like Oklahoma's room is really nice between the number one quarterback in the country this last recruiting class in Caleb Williams and Spencer Rattler. I think that's a really nice one to in terms of, you know, these guys are going to be transferring at Georgia. You know, I like where Clemson's room was this year, where we all know Trevor Lawrence has gone after this year, and Djung is going to get time in games, and you're not worried about him as a spot starter because he had shown enough and he's physically ready for everything, Whereas there's a lot more unease about Like we know Stetson Bennett is not going to beat a really good SEC team at Georgia with all of the weapons and all of the advantages Georgia has. He's he struggled against Alabama. He just it became a little bit too much. We know that the ceilings are pretty high for guys like Gunner, Stockton, Carson Beck, and Brock Vandergriff, but they're still a pretty great unknown. And this is where like is the backup better than the starter comes in? I remember that Chase Daniel cover on ESPN the magazine I want to say, don't even remember who his backup was that year, And there were lines in that story and Chase Daniel's sensational like, well, backup's actually even more athletic, it might even have a bigger arm. I think doesn't mean doesn't mean a thing, So it's impressive what they're doing. I think right now Ohio State with their lineup of quarterbacks, nobody's proven anything. It's Jack Miller and c J. Stroud, And people asked us about that. I think c J. Stroud might be a little bit closer to being the guy, just so he looks in the limited amount of time I've seen his tape that he might have a higher ceiling than Jack Miller. But what they're doing in Columbus is just ridiculous. So yeah, they're there are places usc as a quarterback of the future, and Keaton Slovas looks like he's going to be the guy. I don't know, there's there's not a lot of places. North Carolina's recruited well, and it looks like Sam Howe is going to be you know, in Chapel Hill for only a season or so, so I think there are options Georgia. The problem with Georgia is it's Kirby Smart that's managing them, and his track record is not amazing.
Speaker 2: All right, where we going next? Here? Where we going next?
Speaker 1: Next question? Let's let's talk about LSU a little bit. And and you know, Colvin asked, does Joe Burrow give enough cred fallacy to shed it's bad quarterback developer baggage, yes, sort of to me, and it's we are at a point where people are going to say, well, this guy transferred in and nobody thought he was going to be amazing, and then he was one of the greatest all time quarterbacks. Joe Burrow had lightning in a bottle at LSU, and so I don't know if it reflects all that well on LSU because it was a year and I think for a school to shed quarterback baggage, you need consistency, you need year over year growth, and like, look, we developed this guy into that when you got here as a freshman. He left as a junior and he was a top fifteen pick in the NFL draft, and then the next guy came, like what Clemson has done has developed quarterbacks with LSU. Right now at Origern with a dud of both hires last year, I think it's going to take some time. Still. Max Williams seems promising, but Max Johnson, Max Johnson, how to caare you the name? Max Johnson? I think it seems promising, but we also have to remember this about Joe Burrow. If we're going to compare any quarterback to Joe Burrow, which I will listen and figure it out. But Joe Burrow entered into a situation with Jamar Chase, Clyde, Edwards, Hilaire, a strong offensive line, justin Jefferson, who I think was the best rookie receiver in the NFL this year and didn't even lead at that LSU team in receiving. Terrace Marshall like, it was a crazy good situation that a lot of transfer quarterbacks are just not going to enter into. So no, I don't think LSU has reached that point, and I think there needs to be sustained development and results before we start comparing any quarterback to one of the all time greats.
Speaker 2: It was Joe Burrow that was maybe the best season a quarterbacks ever had in history, just ridiculous, maybe the best ever. And look, we can talk about Joe Brady in the impact that he had on Joe Burrow. We could talk about how ed Orgeron went out swallowed his pride and made some moves on offense that switched that offense into high gear. All of that certainly has a lot of validity. Joe Burrow, though, had the best season in the history of college football.
Speaker 1: I mean argue. I mean, you know, Cam Newton had you know, a pretty ridiculous tea chiny manseilt. Like, there have been recent guys who have been amazing, but in terms of just staggering numbers and destroying all comers in that way, it it.
Speaker 2: Was in my view, unparalleled and also and out of the blue. You know, I think of Joe Burrow's first year at LSU. There were moments, but it was not nearly as special. We as a playmaker, Yeah, we had many a conversation on this show about yeah, he makes plays, he has moments, but to see coming what we saw out of Burrow in that Heisman campaign, forget it. No one could have seen that coming. So yeah, we're not comparing anyone else to Joe Burrow. I understand that there is a desire to do that. Everyone wants the next Joe Burrow, the next Baker Mayfield. But look as I as I look at this quarterback depth chart for LC they got some interesting decisions. You know, Miles Brennan is I think the the go to guy, the number one, but Max Johnson came in got some result. He was calm back there, he was mobile. You've got a guy like a TJ. Finley's a really big dude, different kind of player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a.
Speaker 2: Garrett nuss Meyer who's on that rod. So like they've got names that are worth following. I still think it's Brennan. But now that Orgeron is on the other side of this national championship and Joe Brady's gone and Joe Burrow's not walking back through that door, I think the pressure is on again to figure out how do you get the most at that quarterback position because before Joe Burrow there was a whole lot of that.
Speaker 1: Well, there are many people who will know this better than I. I don't think Louisiana develops a lot of high level quarterbacks. And I've heard recruiting people talk about that the talent level is so high on defense that it's impossible to get good at quarterback. Growing up in Louisiana. There's so much speed and talent on the field in places like Louisiana and Florida. Now, good quarterbacks who come out of Florida and LSU just relies so much on recruiting and state because there is so much talent in state. But you see them going to Florida, going to California, going wherever, obviously to Ohio with Joe Burrow to get a quarterback. I wonder if ed Rizron isn't better served just keeping an extra scholarship open at the end of the year, the end of maybe every recruiting class whatever. I mean, everybody's gonna lose players to transfer, but saving that for that annual JT. Daniels Joe Burrow that one intriguing transfer or grad transfer who has proven to be an above average, a pretty good quarterback. And I don't know if it's a sustainable way to run a program, but obviously it has been very difficult for LSU to hit on quarterbacks consistently in state, out of state for whatever reason. And so they're one of those schools that if you can guarantee a very high floor, more often than not, you're gonna be able to surround that quarterback. Yeah, with a lot of advantages. And so that's one of those teams that should be perennially just an eye askance at the transfer portal. LJ says that Braxton Burmeister is the leading guy for Virginia Tech going into next year with Hendon Hooker leaving.
Speaker 2: Is that good or bad? Dan, you have an opinion on Braxton Burmeister, your boy.
Speaker 1: It depends on what you want Virginia Tech to be. I don't think he is a ten win answer, and if that's the expectation of Virginia Tech eventually to get to with Justin Fuente, I don't think he's that guy. I don't think he's that guy. I don't think he's a consistent downfield passer. I think he is a Stetson Bennett type of more athletic Stetson Bennett that he could be a really strong backup. But it's hard for me to see Braxton Burmeister putting the majority of the acc in the lost column after playing the Hokies, which is the expectation outside of Clemson and you know North Carolina right now.
Speaker 2: You remember when Justin Fuente was at Memphis, I do fun watch His offenses were awesome, man, awesome. You think he's running that offense at Tech with Braxen Burmeister.
Speaker 1: Something trying to be who is the giant quarterback that he got drafted in the first round who was definitely not an NFL quarterback.
Speaker 2: Paxton Lynch really good though in College very good, not so much for the Denver Broncos.
Speaker 1: Is he still in the NFL?
Speaker 2: Maybe he is.
Speaker 1: He did not play this year. He was a practice squad Seahawk in twenty nineteen and caught. I don't know if he's thrown an NFL pass in a long time, so he has thrown an NFL passed since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Do we think Braxton Burmeister is running that Memphis offense at Virginia chech not to say that fluent is even trying to run that, but is he getting anywhere close to it? I think the answer is no. It's rhetorical question, right, So no, it's not good. That's not good at all.
Speaker 1: They had what's his name though, right the gerad Evans He ran that pretty well, Jacy quarterback and shouldn't have declared.
Speaker 2: But yeah, last question, one more question. You get to pick one more.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of We had a few questions about the Oregon quarterback situation, and Dati says, did Tyler Schuck show enough for Oregon fans to have confidence for twenty twenty one? Is Anthony Brown a better option? Oregon, like a number of schools, is now falling into a situation that is awful. The situation is looking at a committed recruit, assigned recruit, an incoming, blue chip, celebrated recruit and saying, that's the future, that's the guy. He's gonna save things. And if you are not living in the present, your situation downfield passing the ball, it's going to be very difficult to say, yes, I know things are bad, but wait till this guy gets here. I don't see Oregon in a good situation because that guy is ty Thompson for Oregon, he's an incoming I think he's a borderline five star, whatever that means. But Tyler Shuck was not the answer. You look at the Oregon State game, the USC game. Even though they won that game, he struggled. He struggled under pressure, like wait, are teams allowed to blitz like that level of struggle? And Anthony Brown is fine, he's on too bad knees. And I don't think Anthony Brown a full season Anthony Brown will win Oregon the PAC twelve. And so are you gambling on a true freshman? This is some same situation for the team of my other half, Michigan Wolverines, and it's I think JJ McCarthy. Oh, but just wait, JJ McCarthy. I don't know that Michigan's gonna win many games with Jim Harbaugh moving forward. I think the situation is pretty dire in ann Arbor. And so if you are putting that, if you're putting those eggs that many eggs in a an unproven freshman basket, your program's in a bad place in that situation, in that specific scenario. So I am not bullish. We'll see what happens. I'm not bullish on on Tyler Shock or Anthony Brown, And I understand starting a freshman if he is your best option. But the best option is probably starting Anthony Brown for a few games and hope ty Thompson or Jay Butterfield, one of the young, unproven quarterbacks is ready, because I don't see another way around it unless they go into the transfer portal after spring for somebody else.
Speaker 2: Let me close it out with a question of my own. Who's the best quarterback in twenty twenty college football? Who's the best quarterback next year?
Speaker 1: The best quarterback in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at a list of way too early Heisman front runners. So Sam Howell's the first name that jumps out. Sam Howell. Rout is up there, Spencer Rattler's up there on this list. They've got Bryce Young and Djangala, both of whom I think bring a lot of promise. But to put him this high on this list is aggressive. CJ. Stroud's I think it'll be a name for Ohio State. Again, he's on this list. Haven't seen him yet, so.
Speaker 1: It hasn't thrown a meaningful pass. Yeah right.
Speaker 2: Some other names on here. J. T. Daniels, Keaton Slovas two names that we discussed.
Speaker 1: A huge Slovas guy. I think he's good, but I don't know. I'm not bowled over.
Speaker 2: What I'm seeing. Here is a couple good quarterback names that I'm excited about, But outside of Sam Howell, no one that I feel I can really rely on at this point. Djang A, Look what he did against Notre Dame was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And they get Tony Elliott back who and they get Tony Elliot flirted with Tennessee. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: He's going to be outstanding. We already know that. And we know that who's ever quarterback high the States could be very good? Like we know some of this is baked into the cake. But in terms of who's the best quarterback outside of Sam Howell, let's say so, it's an open question. I mean, I guess it could be Spencer Rattler too, but like there's just so much out there in the quarterback space that we just don't know and can't really take for granted going into twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's Rattler. I think if you're going to say, outside of Sam Howell, who do I have the most confidence in. I suppose we can see how Derek King heals up from his torn acl but he'll be a different kind of quarterback if he's ready early on in the season physically, but certainly he is somebody who I'm excited to see. Disappointed at Malik Hunningham step back. It is Malik right now? Or did he go I can't remember. Is it Malik or Michale right now?
Speaker 2: I think it's Malik. I think went back, it is Malik, Okay, went.
Speaker 1: Back to Milike. You know, there's a number of guys who I think could ascend to an interesting place, But yeah, I think I think right now it's Rattler and Sam Howell, And then we'll know JT. Daniels made plays near the end of the year for Georgia and it should be in a position to win games. And somebody asked about Florida quarterbacks. You Mackenzie Milton's coming back, but he took a step back after Scott Frost left and hopefully physically he's good to go. Emery Jones, I'm not crazy high on at the moment, and I don't know if there's anybody else in the Big ten, acc anybody else in the Big twelve. Text is going to have a new starter, Spencer Sanders, Max Duggan, Like, there's just there's a lot of to me be minus passing attacks out there, and exactly, it's hard to see a number of these guys rising to anything beyond what we what we perceived their limit to be. Right now, can I ask you something completely to do with what we started out the show talking about, Please talking about Snow, what the f I'm supposed to do with all of this.
Speaker 2: You're really having a hard time with this, aren't you. You're not no one really enjoys shoving. You're having a hard time with this. Talk to me about your shoveling situation.
Speaker 1: Well, this just gloves recently. Yeah, I have loves. I have a shovel, I have a hat, I have AirPods, I'll listen to podcast. I have good boots, get my feet dry, grip well. Kind of what I want to know is I don't know something from.
Speaker 2: One of the curved ones that helps your back. Is it a push shovel? What do you have?
Speaker 1: It's a it's a straight pull and a wide shovel and a decent grip. And that's all I have. There's a that's all I have. I got it from Amazon dot com.
Speaker 2: Tye.
Speaker 1: Okay, My question to you is you have a snowblower now I do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So, man, am I looked at as being like pulling my weight and I'm a good neighbor because I shovel myself. Is it an impressive reflection on me that I'm not hiring somebody or that I'm not using machinery to clear out my walk and path or whatever? Or is that just like just do what you need to do. It doesn't matter about impressing your neighbors.
Speaker 2: It's it's work. Been like, it's a lot like journalism. You know, you got to pay your dues until you get up to some of the bigger stuff right now, there is no pride in doing the shoveling if you can afford to go snowblower, none whatsoever.
Speaker 1: So how much does a snowblower set you back? A decent one?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's several hundred dollars, I don't know the actual price tag.
Speaker 1: But so you're pushing it like you would push like a mailroom dolly almost sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did not get the Cadillac of snowblowers by any stretch with what we've got out there. Now, I have it in first gear and I have to go very slowly down the driveway and along the sidewalks.
Speaker 1: But so you get two snow tires on that thing, correct, and then you're it's got like a bulldozer. So it's it's shooting the snow to the side, correct, correct, Okay, to each side. And it's not the easiest contraption to maneuver. I'm not going to lie.
Speaker 2: I've operated other ones before and they seem like they were much easier. But this is the one that I bought because it was on sale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it'll be a grand or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so it's it's fine. It gets the job done. I had to go out and do it now because we might get honestly, like a foot more tonight, and if I let that stack on top of what was already out there, I'm not using my snowblower. This is not going to work. So went out. Have you paid for a service before, a shoveling service? Yeah, some sort of clearance, I don't think so. Okay, No, I've never done that. I've always either done the shoveling or done the snow blowing. But when we moved into our new house, I did the shoveling once and then de sited. I needed to get the snowblower because there's just too much to do.
Speaker 1: How long will a snowblow sash take you approximately.
Speaker 2: Depends on how much snow. If we've got well over a foot like we do now, I was out there for a good hour and a half two hours earlier. What just doing a first pass at it and it's still not clean.
Speaker 1: So you're well, will you live? You have like a giant backyard right with good size backyard. So are you clearing the backyard or you're just clearing your patio in the front sidewalk? What are you clearing this.
Speaker 2: This is I'm definitely not clearing the grass in the backyard.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, but what are you clearing?
Speaker 2: That's a lot of gasoline that i'd need for that, now I would. I I'm clearing off the driveway and sidewalks.
Speaker 1: Driveway and sidewalks, and so you're going up and down like it's a lawnmower. Essentially, you're pushing it. Right, You're just in deep snow.
Speaker 2: It's got a little bit of its own self propulsion, which helps, right, But you know, unfortunately, because the snow is so deep, I can't really go that quick with it, just gotta turn my way through it.
Speaker 1: Would you be quicker with a shovel?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Maybe more uncomfortable. No, you wouldn't be quicker with a shovel. I'm just asking, so, what percentage of people on your block are snowblower versus shovel versus hiring a service.
Speaker 2: My neighbor has, he's been going the shovel route, and I've been trying to help however I can by doing at least a snowblower on his sidewalks. But I think most of the people in the neighborhood have snowblowers or services that come and do it for them.
Speaker 1: Okay, see what you're saying to me is I'm an impressive blue collar snow clearer with my shovel.
Speaker 2: You are blue collar. I don't know if it's it.
Speaker 1: Might not be that impressive. I don't know if it's that impressive clearing a sidewalk and a little side path to my house.
Speaker 2: You could just be cheap. That's also a possibility.
Speaker 1: Now, I would love to throw money at this problem. Ty, That's why I'm asking you. I would like nothing more than to throw money at this problem. Because well, I will say I slept beautifully last night after shoveling three times. It's not worth it.
Speaker 2: It's not worth it. If you could afford the snowblower, get the snow blower. If you don't want the snowblower and we want a service, get the service.
Speaker 1: But no, it's not worth like even for one winter to say I did it the first window.
Speaker 2: No, just no, no, no, no, this is not This is not like going to a fancy restaurant for the first time. Are going to like Cabo. It's that there's no a lore. If you can afford to throw money and fix the problem. You do it.
Speaker 1: I think I probably have maybe fifty or sixty total feet of walk between the side and sidewalk side walk and the side walking path to the side.
Speaker 2: Are you snowblower curious?
Speaker 1: I am? I am?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: Is there a Is there a time you won't snowblow before in the morning?
Speaker 2: Um? Good question. Usually try to wait until at least like eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: Okay, that seems reasonable.
Speaker 2: But others are out there earlier, and they will be out late tonight. For what it's worth.
Speaker 1: If you're up in Minnesota, if you're up there in Canada, if you're up you know, Western New York, anywhere in Boston, I gotta imagine you shovel once, maybe maybe five years while you're young. I think there are a finite number of shovel years in me. Yeah, well, listen, possibly shovel days.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of folks who listen from those regions of the country in the world. They are clearly a better authority on this than I am, because they deal with more snow. We get the crazy nor'easters here. It just so happens. I'm in, like, yeah, the perfect spot to always take the full brunt of these Northeasterns. But what I'd say is, let's get some feedback on the best snowblower and the way to approach this problem. I will say that my neighbor and I, who both moved into this neighborhood the same year, basically made a pact with one another after that very first snowfall in our new houses that now we can't do this.
Speaker 1: Again, never again.
Speaker 2: I had one shoveling session, that was it. I had a snowblower the next week, and then it didn't snow for a year and a half. But so far I've been getting my money's worth out of it. Man.
Speaker 1: But an hour and a half snow blowing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, deep snow, man, we're going to get like twenty five inches from this. So will you do multiple clearances a day? I'm not again, so you're not.
Speaker 1: Ending up clearing two feet of snow that you're doing, you know, eight inches of snow at a time.
Speaker 2: I went out and did I think I saw fourteen or fifteen out there? I went out and I did that because I know that there's a lot more coming and if I wait, it's going to be impossible to use a snowblower it's just the one that I have is not that big. So I had to go out there. I had to do round one. I'm fully anticipating round two is going to be tomorrow. It might be about the same amount of snow, but I needed to go out there and knock it down otherwise it was going to be crazy. Anything over a foot, yeah, which is a foot? Like that's the limit. You got to go out You got to knock it down. Otherwise it's it's sort of pointless.
Speaker 1: What's your ear situation? My ear situationsening to somebody, You're listening to music or're listening to podcast? Is it far too loud? It's too loud, like noise canceling something.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's too loud. It's too loud. It's just me and mother nature out there.
Speaker 1: You know, will do you put on like things just to block out the noise? Nope, it's not that loud. It's not that loud.
Speaker 2: We're not like running a chainsaw out there.
Speaker 1: But you'll have to excuse me. I'm a soft person from California who's never done this before, and I think I can make this public because we're all friends here that I don't know what I'm doing in the Arctic Circle that is Lake Michigan adjacent. So would you how would.
Speaker 2: You feel confidence wise running a snowblower?
Speaker 1: If somebody showed me how pretty confident, I'd have to watch some YouTube video. How are you with machines? You do lawnmowers? I'm a podcaster, yea, My machine is my my throat. I am. I'm fine. I'm a good learner. I'm a good student.
Speaker 2: So you're not not against running the machine. You just haven't had many opportunities or.
Speaker 1: Renting a house right now, so the owner of the house, if something's really bad, he'll help out. And we have somebody that mows our lawn, but that's pretty rare. That doesn't happen all the time. So I just take care of things and I water stuff in the backyard all that. But no, not a lot of heavy machinery in my life other than my car.
Speaker 2: I'm going to send you a chainsaw. I don't know what you're gonna do with it, but just to say you have it.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm baking pizzas, I'm struggling to shovel. I'm doing my.
Speaker 2: Thing, Okay, Well, send Dan shoveling tips.
Speaker 1: Send me shoveling tips, send me like a new shovel. I just have a very basic one. Send me a new shovel idea, or send me snowblower ideas. I don't know. It might be too late in the season to invest. We'll see. I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're in Chicago, man.
Speaker 1: I know it's gonna last a while, isn't it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get snow for at least two more months. Snowblower, I send me some Rex eight hundred bucks eight hundred okay, and you're happy with it? Not really, but it does the job.
Speaker 1: So find me something that you'd be happier with, something you'd be happier with.
Speaker 2: This is the only one I know. I don't know anything about snow. Hardware told me to get this one, so I did.
Speaker 1: I researched cameras for two years before I bought a camera, and once I got the camera, I was happy with it, and I continued to research just because I always like to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't really like the one I have, but it'll be a trick. Today. Solidverbal at gmail dot com talking quarterbacks and snowblowers here on an off season podcast. We will be back on Thursday to talk more college football. Don't forget to check us out soliverbal dot com for ballers dot com is the Patriot Dan.
Speaker 1: Who is your snowblower? Twenty twenty one quarterback gets the job done but not necessarily the best? Who is your workman?
Speaker 2: Like? It could be Stets of Bennett.
Speaker 1: Stet's and Bennet's on the bench. That's Ebendans in the garage.
Speaker 2: All he needs just a very short season out of him.
Speaker 1: It's nice to have him, but I'm not fully happy with him. Yeah, Tala Tongo Vailoa, Malie Cunningham with the turnovers.
Speaker 2: And that's a bad snowblower.
Speaker 1: He still finished like a top twenty five quarterback in the nation. Probably.
Speaker 2: I mean, the answer could be Jack Cone, even though he didn't play. I feel like Jack Conk Jack Cone's a very snowblower esque type of quarterback.
Speaker 1: How about Canny Pickett?
Speaker 2: Can pick it? Can he pick it through for like five hundred yards one game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm saying sometimes if the situation is ideal six inches of snow, can he Picket's gotcha? If it's a an interesting Boston College defense, it's about Filtererkovic filger Kovic's a really good snowblower. I like that filter.
Speaker 2: Kovic's like medium to upper tier snowblower.
Speaker 1: There you have it, forty five minutes of quarterback talk, twenty three minutes of snow clearance.
Speaker 2: For that guy over there, Dan Rubinstein, form myself, Tie Hildebrant. We will talk to you all on Thursday. In the meantime, stay warm, stay safe, and stay solid.
Speaker 1: Nice