Speaker 1: And now Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up everybody?
Speaker 1: Welcome to Move the Sticks, DJ, Bucky Rhett with you guys. We got through the first week. We got the Monday night in the in the rearview mirror here. First of all, Any, I'll start with you, Buck, Any what's your Monday night plans? But what were you doing last night? Were you nestled up on the couch? We out running around? We have high school stuff going on. What were we doing last night for Monday Night?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I don't know if you guys are aware of, but right now Direct TV and Disney they're in the dispute. Oh so, so I got caught up in it, so I don't have the ability to watch it that way. Luckily I have Hulu, so I could watch it on Hulu. But it's annoying that we're still going through this thing. So I couldn't really go through it the way that I normally would go through it. But normally on Monday nights, I'll check it out. I kind of have it in the background. It's weird on the West Coast, the game being a five fifteen game, so it's kind of right in the middle of dinner time, like you kind of cooking, kind of got it on in the background and that stuff.
Speaker 2: Are you cooking?
Speaker 3: Yeah, something I'm on the stove like like like like I'm fully I'm fully baked.
Speaker 2: I can, I can.
Speaker 1: What was what was on the menu last night? I am curious about this.
Speaker 2: I mean normally like it's something ground turkey.
Speaker 1: This is no no no no no no no no no.
Speaker 2: No bar pork jobst.
Speaker 4: Who pork jobs? Like I'm coming over next Monday.
Speaker 3: Like, well, man, when you're in high school, you have to take like a home agg class.
Speaker 1: Well you can hold on, no you we didn't. We didn't click pork chops in my home ac class. I can tell you that a snicker doodle. I think we made a snickerdoodle. That was as far as we got.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So for me, uh, solo parenting this week, so you know, I was trying to cook up, you know, cook up dinner for the kiddos, and thankfully, Dino, my dad reminded me. He was like, hey, you're watching the Manning Cast. I was like, oh god, what time is it? And all of a sudden it was it was forty five, and he was telling me Belichick was really intriguing and it was really interesting, and so flipped it on, had it on a little bit in the background while it was, you know, finishing up dinner, building some legos, watching some Nebraska tape and listening to Belichick talk talk to the Mannings.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it was good. It was it was fun.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't watch every snap of this thing, but well, you certainly got a feel that, you know, this was typical Kyle Shanahan. You know, you don't have Christian McCaffrey. Let's make the undrafted free agent rookie back, rookie running back a star two in Jordan Mason. And that's that's what we got in this game. Didn't need to see them, see they had Jordan Mason.
Speaker 5: That was enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were They were the more physical team. Yeah, clearly in that game. And you know, and I think we should probably start with with a rod what we saw from Aaron Rodgers. I went back and watched that this morning, and uh, you know, Buck, it was interesting because you've you're watching it on TV. And this is again why scouts don't just watch TV copy. You got to put on the All twenty two and really look at it and study it. I came away somewhat encouraged, uh when I when I watched the video, just because we always have said, like you kind of grade the flashes if you can do it once we know you can do it. He had a couple vintage Aaron Rodgers throws in that game, like just lasers, beautiful balls. I thought, though there was definitely rust. The interception, he double hitches, he's late, the ball gets popped away and ends up getting picked off. Okay, that's just getting comfortable again with the timing, full speed reps with your white house. I think it was Garrett Wilson just not a little outroute, just having a little more confidence of where he's going to be to trust it and get the ball out. That'll get better as it goes along. There was some just accuracy stuff even on like the last one on the last in completion he had on the fourth down buck he hits the upfield shoulder. They might he might go like he might, Garrett Wilson might split that and go. It was all slants. He had the matchup he wanted. He had the little flat that way to pull the linebacker out he gets that upfield shoulder. It's literally the safety with about ten yards and you're gonna have Garrett Wilson with a three way go on a safety at full speed. But the balls, the balls a little behind, it's a little low, it gets poked away, or it actually grabs Garrett Wilson's hand, and that's incomplete. So just a couple of those things a little bit off, a little bit late. I came away thinking, Okay, that's gonna get better. They need to get Mike Williams up and running to get somebody else to throw the ball to. They need to get Conkling involved more as a tight end, like, they need to find other avenues to distribute the football. But in terms of Aaron Rodgers himself, I came away thinking, okay, it's that that good play is still in there. There's some rust that needs to be knocked off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to knock off the rust.
Speaker 3: And you know the thing is, I am sure Aaron Rodgers is a little apprehensive like that first game out. No matter how long you've played the game coming off the injury, it's always different, and so it kind of impacts the way that you perform and play I know Robert Silaz said after the game that is rather to be a one to one with Aaron Rodgers than one to oh without him.
Speaker 2: They will continue to get better.
Speaker 3: They certainly have the firepower offensively to be able to create problems as Aaron Rodgers gets comfortable.
Speaker 2: I think the most concerning part for me would be the inability to.
Speaker 3: Stop the Niners seven straight scoring drives, not being able to deal with their physicality and toughness. And it's weird for Robert Saltham to say this, but he said that they got a taste of championship caliber ball. I think they should already be operating at that. You came from that, you know what San Francisco is. You should be talking and trying to set those standards for your team, even though like, yeah, it's different when you face a team like that. You would think four years into your tenure they kind of have a feel for what that looks like and what that smells like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I'll just you know, the last thing I'll say is I'm glad you brought that ninth straight scoring drives thing up, because like, all right, you know they go three and out, they forced a three and out in the first possession of the game and they don't keep them off the scoreboard for the rest of the game. That's that's pretty dang impressive if you're the forty nine ers offense, especially missing arguably your best player there in Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 5: The other other.
Speaker 4: Piece of it, you know that you touched on I think is a home run there. They got to have something in addition to Garrett Wilson. Yeah, sure, Alan Lazard caught two touchdowns in this game, but he had as many targets in this game as he had all of last season, which you know, I didn't play all sixteen seventeen last year. But like, that's that seems like a lot going that way. Only two receivers, you know, getting targets of any kind from Aaron Rodgers. There's definitely more they need. They need Mike Williams in a bad way there to get this thing rolling here a little bit. Give them some more options, give them some more some more places to go with the ball.
Speaker 1: Only thing I'll say, though, there were some things in this game that were specific to the forty nine ers defense. In other words, they got like Bryce Hall the ball out in some space on the perimeter. And I swear to you that if there's two other linebackers other than Fred Warner that could have made some of those plays in space, I mean that might be excessive like he is. That was watching that tape, I was like, holy moly. I don't know if we talk about Fred Warner enough, like he is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And some of those.
Speaker 1: Plays against normal linebackers get out in space, they're not getting breeze hall on the ground. And once we've seen once he gets out into the open field like that's legit four to three speed and he can run away from everybody. So I think that that'll look better against a non forty nine er defense, But they do need to find different ways to spread the ball around. The other thing, the other takeaway, I posted a play. I don't know if you guys saw it, but man, I don't know that I've ever seen somebody aboard a spin like Nick Bosa did. He's outside. If you haven't seen it, you got to go watch it. I post him on Twitter. But he goes to spin and almost like he kind of gets caught. This is against Tyron Smith, the Hall of Famer, and then he kind of gets caught with a spin and buck he just like literally like you hear the backup truck him, he just goes backwards. He backwards bulls Tyron Smith right into Aaron Rodgers' lap. I'm like, I don't know that I've ever even seen that before, but that's a different way. It was a backwards bull rush. That's the first time I've ever written that my note.
Speaker 2: He is he is something else.
Speaker 3: And I just remember why to him when he was coming out of how you state the conversations that we had and looking at him about how technically savvy he was, and even though it was abbreviated his final season, he had all the tools when he came to the league, and he continues to expand his toolbox.
Speaker 2: And I think the thing for me and.
Speaker 3: Watching him is the stamina in terms of like how long he is able to play at that level without wearing down. Because what the Niners used to be in terms of being able to roll a bunch of different guys in, they're not quite that same unit, and so he has to play more snaps but continues to be the same dominant player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rhett, there was another nugget along those lines. It's from a different game, but from actually it was Raiders. So Max Crosby, I'm trying to find the nugget laid all.
Speaker 5: Sixty one snaps. Did you see that?
Speaker 1: But did you see how many times he's done it?
Speaker 5: It's incredible.
Speaker 1: Fourteen times he's played every snap and I don't think any other defensive lineman have done it more than one one time during that run fourteen And I just feel like that's something that we've all talked about in the run up to the draft, and I feel a lot more recently. Uh fuck, we've hammered like gas tank, Like these guys have an endless gas tank. Bucky's told the story about Bruce Smith a million times about Bruce Smith would get on a stair climber after practice like those guys, those elite, elite guys can go forever and with BOTHA. I didn't see him ever get tired out there either.
Speaker 5: No, that's a great point. Yeah, Crosby's insane.
Speaker 2: I mean that is that is that is beyond, that is crazy, and not only that first game of the season.
Speaker 3: So when you think about like training camp, preseason games, whether you played minimal snaps or whatever, to be like in that kind of fitness to have that level of callous you know, like, yeah, that's you don't get to that point to get game three or four in the regular season where you used to play in games.
Speaker 2: That's the credit to him in his preparation.
Speaker 1: Before we take it, before we took a quick quick break again that in scouting for those who't know, when you go down on the field before the games, your body type guys, you're just saying to get a visual of what their body looks like. I have to go back and look at previous uh images of Trent Williams. Is he carrying? He looked like he was carrying an extra twenty pounds? Am I am? I am? I just not paid close enough attention to how big he's gotten over the last couple of years. I mean, he plays phenomenal, he's a he's a one on one freak show. But he looked like he was carrying a little bit extra weight. Did you guys notice that at all?
Speaker 4: I didn't notice it off like it wasn't top of mind. But I'll definitely go back and look at that now.
Speaker 1: I mean, not the not the most matter thing in the world, but he's a great player. But I just looked at him like, gosh, I did not remember him being that big as he looked in that game. Still moving like he does, which is pretty incredible. But I'm always you know, when guys have have held out or haven't been around the team as much, that's one of the things you're kind of you're keeping an eye on and hope that he's just maintains his health. So that's that was the one thing I was thinking of. All Right, we'll take a quick break, we'll come back, we'll get into the rookie draft results, and we'll have our draft for this upcoming weekend right after this. Guys, I didn't make the rules. I didn't pick the draft order. Okay, I know you guys are sitting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, DJ gets.
Speaker 1: The first overall pick. Look who won Week one? You know, like it's all coordinated. It's uh, it is what it is. It is. I came away it was I did come away with a win. Here, Bucky second place, Rett third place. I feel like that's how we finished last year. If I'm not mistaken, I think I don't think so. I don't. I'm pretty sure. Uh, Jayden Daniels being the first pick for me got me that win. And then my last pick, so each got three guys. My Maconkie getting in the in zone late in that ball game helped me edge out Bucky in that round because.
Speaker 2: I think in a government would call it inside of trade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I went, I went.
Speaker 2: I said it.
Speaker 1: It was a homer pick. Bucky got some points for the round. No, actually RHTT got the round too because Xavier Worthy had a huge game, uh with with the win there, so I got the points for Daniels. Bucky had second place with Nicks. Caleb really didn't do much, so that was Rehet's Reet's pick there. Man Marvin Harrison Junior did nothing. Uh so I was last in the second round.
Speaker 5: What's that about the way?
Speaker 1: So I went back and watched that they didn't even look. I mean, everybody's posting that one play, which I'm not going to overreact to that one. It was kind of a broken play where he got vertical and he didn't Kyler didn't see him. He dropped the ball early and then they hit him on a little out route and then that they didn't even look at him. Now, it was interesting watching him. He is you know, it's it's it's different watching him than some of these other top guys over previous years, Like if you look at we were talking about Garrett Wilson, like just super fluid and smooth and how they move. I thought, even just kind of watching him at the top of routes, there's Marvin Harrison Junior has some there's some tightness there. I think he's more of a power forward type player. Like if you think of how d Hop has been used throughout his career. But you got to give him some chances to make play. Get him some slants, let them wall guys off, give him some back shoulders, get him down the field, let him let that size play a little bit in the elite ball skills.
Speaker 2: But they didn't.
Speaker 1: Even I just tried. It hard to believe you take a guy that high in the draft and not have anything in play for him week right, Like that just Buck, were your thoughts on that? That was kind of bizarre to me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I thought it was weird that.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, man, when he comes into the league, he's a number one receiver and that's the thing where you're designing plays to get him the ball and to get him active early. And so I think it's an era user error. Not only the offensive coordinated, but also the quarterback caller. Murray has to know that Marvin Harrison is going through the extended stretches without touching the rock. That's kind of like one of those things that when you're a point guard in basketball, you know when your guys have gotten shots and when they had and he has to make sure that the guy's engage that guys active because they need him. I would expect to see this week Marvin Harrison get a heavy workloak because you can't have that.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: The criticism is going to make it where he gets probably the first three balls come his way to make sure that he's in the game plan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, George doubling up in targets just doesn't quite feel right considering what we all expect Marvin Harrison to be, and I would imagine that does change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So we get to the draft this week again everything flips. So the order is gonna be Bucky than Rahett than myself and then we'll snake it back around here. So Buck, you are up first here, you got the first pick, Week two rookie draft.
Speaker 2: What are you thinking, Well, I'm gonna do what you did.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take the quarterback Jade and Daniels first, to make sure that I have him underway, because the one thing that we know about Jade and Daniels, if he doesn't throw four bunchs, he's gonna run four bunch And that is what happened this week.
Speaker 2: So Jade and Daniels, welcome. We appreciate you, all right.
Speaker 4: I don't care about the quarterbacks now. So, I mean, look, I think Caleb's going to be a lot better than he was. But I mean, it doesn't get much easier what he's facing these next three weeks in terms of defenses Texans, Colts, and Rams. So I think it's Texans this week. Right, Yeah, I'm gonna pass on that right now.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: Back to the well save you're worthy right now. I mean, I just I just think the Chiefs are gonna like.
Speaker 1: To ride the horses. He he likes to ride the same horse he did this last year. I don't think it worked out for you. I believe you finished the last place, right, I'm pretty sure yeah, you did not win. Uh the bill, get in the chat. There's no way that you want pretty chance, zero chance? All right, DJ? What do you got we're looking that up? Yeah, pretty sure, DJ One, thanks the Bill and Rhet got last. Yes, yeah, well what kind of what kind of memory are you coming with? I think we accountability pretty close, and.
Speaker 5: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So all right, you're gonna go worthy. I've got two pops at it here. I'm gonna go h all right, I'm gonna go I'm gonna go back to neighbors. So I am kind of riding this same horse from that standpoint, and then I'm going to you know what, I'm going back. Well, I'm gonna go to MCCONKEI yeah, okay, the Panthers. They play the Panthers. How do you not do that? I'm gonna go McConkey with my second one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, I'll wait on the quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, we're both gonna be waiting that one out.
Speaker 5: You're gonna get left. I think is that there?
Speaker 2: I think you back up?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 4: And so right now I'm kind of deciding between Brian Thomas, Junior, Bucky and Brock MS. I just think they're gonna continue to find ways to get Brock Bowers of football. We talked about that on the On the Recap show.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, by the way, I'll give you guys. I'll give you guys either one of your twenty bucks off the top of your head, if you can tell me which rookie, which rookie receiver had the most targets in the NFL Week one twenty bucks.
Speaker 5: It's not Brian Thomas. He only had four.
Speaker 1: But I wrote this is just in jest because I did just do my ninjeo hr thing. So there's is no there's no I would like to strike that from the record. There is no money being involved in that. Actually, if you guys could have any guesses on who might have okay, ricky targets, I want that to be known. I don't need any emails or phone calls.
Speaker 5: Was it xavierly get no agh.
Speaker 2: You say.
Speaker 1: No, no, according I'm on PFF Ultimate right now. And Lagette had seven targets or in PFF Ultimate eight Devon Veley with the Broncos had eight targets, eight receptions for thirty nine yards. Oh wow, not the most dynamic. Not the most dynamic eight for thirty nine stat line right there, Uh, bough Nick's not pushing it down the field very much. Apparently.
Speaker 2: No. No.
Speaker 5: In fact, I mean we talked about that yesterday, remember I mean thirty nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you want to take them, you want to take No, I don't think I'm going that way. I'm gonna go back to Bowers. Okay, I'm gonna take Bowers there.
Speaker 3: You know what, right, You're you kind of nick saving this in terms of like do you eat the same thing every day at the same time you took Like I'm just wondering, like, I'm wonder if you're like the little Debbie snack.
Speaker 5: I'm not every day, like.
Speaker 2: Every day like the same little meal. Okay, sugar Okay. So all right, So off the board, we have who read your two players?
Speaker 4: You have we guys, Yeah, worthy neighbors. Maconkie and Bowers are gone.
Speaker 1: So you got to take two weapons.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, because Daydon Daniels is mine. All right.
Speaker 4: So, by the way, Bucky Irving might be into the driven guy. I know I might out here soon.
Speaker 1: I love coming to the driving school.
Speaker 2: We all wait, he's not he's waiting.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna get me there, all right, So let's go Marvin Harrison Jr. We're gonna take him right out the gate because I feel like coming off of poor performers down effort to get him the ball, and also another team coming off of poor effort, the New York Giants, mylik neighbors has to get back, he has to get.
Speaker 2: Okay, so BTJ, then I'm gonna go home.
Speaker 5: You going going home?
Speaker 1: Or pick?
Speaker 5: All right? That's good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so that leaves us the quarterbacks here, and man, it's not a pretty pick.
Speaker 1: I don't love this.
Speaker 4: We got going up against the Steelers, who made your cousins, you know, not look so great, uh Falcons, and I got the Bears on the road at Houston. That's this is not all right. Give me Caleb. He's gonna make something happen. Give me Caleb. All right, Yeah I was, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go with Nicks from my last one.
Speaker 5: If you, if you had the choice, though, would you have taken Caleb.
Speaker 1: I want to have taken Caleb. Yeah, all right, there we go, there we go. We'll see wee here. We've got one one one win under my belt. I'm still waiting for the official confirmation that RTT finished last, but we I.
Speaker 4: Think it got pretty close as far as I understand, and like close enough to where I could have just been any one of us could have won.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, exactly what we're saying there. All right, that's it. That's going to wrap it up for today. I hope you guys have enjoyed it. Rhet, thanks for popping on. Yeah, we'll see you back next week. Appreciate you, buddy. That's it, see you next time. Right here on, move the sticks.