Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Thursday, December fifth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number eighty. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break We Hear Live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by LGLG is the world's number one O led TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why at LG dot com. Forward slash o leed Evo.
Speaker 3: Like Derek some money, some funds? Please?
Speaker 4: Do I need to just do my cash? Yeah? And just sayun your money if you'd like to get helped.
Speaker 3: Thought her discussions are outstanding. What you say, oh f she was trying to do the old Yeah, what do you know about what you know about that? What do you know about that? Right? Hey, I'm trying to get your art sold, That's what I'm trying. There no anywhere this check.
Speaker 2: Out just off the rails of thirty check out check out.
Speaker 3: Her art show.
Speaker 5: More your football seconds to know what that was?
Speaker 3: Sixty one year old man?
Speaker 2: Wow, oh, I'm crying all right right here, Brian.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: That was a good, good laugh to start.
Speaker 3: Your boss looked at you. What do you know about that?
Speaker 5: I'm literally crying right now. Well, okay, cowboy.
Speaker 4: How many pieces you got now that you're trying to like, I don't even say get rid of, but you're trying to see if someone wants.
Speaker 3: She's got some really good cowboy pieces too.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I I have some hanging around the house, and I rid of.
Speaker 4: If someone wanted to buy it, Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: At the right price, right, But no, I still have quite a few. I just thought I should probably start putting it out there again because it's been a long time. It was like since before that was the one and done I wanted. I did it for the experience, so I.
Speaker 4: Thought it was cool. The first time I ever went to an arch show, and I thought it was cool.
Speaker 5: It was a lot of work put into it, so.
Speaker 3: Booze it up. Thought art shows are right, stand around, talk about it and.
Speaker 5: Drink Hey, you hooked me up with some wine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ben Glazier, Yeah, good deal.
Speaker 4: All right, let's let's talk some Cowboys for ball. We're gonna talk about We got to catch up on some injuries. There are a lot of guys that although there was no official injury report yesterday, there were lots of reports that were coming out about different guys and where they are as far as injuries are concerned. Then we'll get into some discussions on the Cincinnati defense versus the Cowboys offense. We got some questions lined up from the fans that we will get to and I would love to take some phone calls, So give us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven. Again it is eight eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven. Our trusty producer Chris Ban will get you lined up and uh, you can call us any time and we'll jump on and take some calls.
Speaker 5: Sure we are full of jokes today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, Okay, let's it.
Speaker 3: We'll just ring for forty five minutes. Let's go. Let's go.
Speaker 4: Let's catch up on some of these injuries. I'm gonna throw out a name. You guys tell what you've heard about them. Where with the where are we with DeMarcus Lawrence?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Does not sound like he's gonna go this week.
Speaker 7: He did not have his practice window activated yesterday he would have needed that, but continuing rehab work this week and we'll probably be revisiting that come come Tuesday or Wednesday.
Speaker 4: All right, Zach Martin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I was. It's funny real quick. I mean I was just happened to be walking down the hallway and looked out there and just took it, you know, seeing how the weather was, and he happened to be working out. But there was some good work. I mean he it was Britt Brown and him are getting after. Britt will get after. We all know that. Yeah, so, but yeah, I was, man, I just from a scouting evaluation. I was really encouraged by the things that Britt was kind of having Tom do as I was walking and was watching the lateral drills and stuff like that. It was very, very very promising though.
Speaker 4: All right, Zach Martin.
Speaker 7: Zach Martin, it looks like they're just getting him back on schedule. He did not practice yesterday, but taking that veteran day as I think they're going to try to be as as cautious as possible with him for the rest of the season, and rightfully so. Yesterday was a walk through, so it was very light day, so there was no reason to put Zach out there. Today will be the big threshold for Zach Martin, but I think he's gonna be ready to go Monday.
Speaker 5: Nominated for Men of the Year award.
Speaker 4: Sure did did outstanding achievement for him, As it is for all the different teams they put out. Every team will have one nominee from their roster that then makes it to one of the thirty two and then they'll have one winner for the entire league. So Cowboys have now four or three.
Speaker 3: Four three three, Roger Staubach, Troy Aman, Uh and then Dak And when Chase went won, Chase went, Chase.
Speaker 4: Went yeah, yeah, Okay, it's right.
Speaker 3: Four yeah, so Starbuck eight, Men, Witten, Dak got it.
Speaker 4: So they have four right now and Uh and Zach Martin is the nominee for this year. All right, cool, let's talk about Trayvon Trayvon Dick.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I do walk by it. Really, That's the only reason I knew. I walked by it every day, and I'm like, oh there, Okay, Okay, Yeah, Uh, the fact that he practiced I think was encouraging or they mock game. You know, I got fooled by that one time, the old mock game, you know, thinking it was really a game, not it's it's bucket hats and shorts, but.
Speaker 2: Mock underware Olympics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was encouraged. Yeah, they did mock me. It was encouraging though that.
Speaker 5: He was part of that.
Speaker 3: So keeping an eye on there, keeping an eye on that one. But they the fact that he at least has been at least he was part of that was something that they say that that was a step in the right direction because they have the extra day.
Speaker 4: Honestly, of all these names, that's the one that I think is most critical this weekend. Obviously with the matchups you got there on the outside, getting Trayvon Dicks back will be huge I think for this week.
Speaker 7: Yeah, speaking of the cornerback position, they signed two guys to the practice squad yesterday and Dee Delaney and Troy Pride. Both of those guys have been in the league roughly five six years. They worked at Xavier Howard, the former All Pro for the Miami Dolphins, sounds that sounds like a situation where the price would be a little too high to to justify keeping him around for only five weeks. And it's not like there's a roster spot available, more so a practice squad spot.
Speaker 4: So all right, catch me up on Amani or a war.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so he was had his practice window activated yesterday back on the practice field and was he was. He was moving around, you know, just like anyone else during the Mott game. But not really sure as far as availability goes. But that is a corner spot that they will need with with Josh Butler going down, Kayln Carson's gone on ir so it's kind of being left to Keemon hall Amni or a warrier if he can make it back, to try and figure out that other corner spot opposite of Deron Bland if if Dix can't go, or if they need someone to come in in the event of injury.
Speaker 4: Right even if Diggs can go, you're gonna need that other guy just to yeah, just have safety, some safety in case in case of injury.
Speaker 7: And also is Roe mkwamam I keep forgetting to factor him and he's just kind of that chess piece you can move around in the secondary.
Speaker 4: And he hasn't been bad either.
Speaker 2: I think I don't think what he is like.
Speaker 4: He is a he's a guy's kind of a twiner between corner and safety. But I think he's been fine at the at the corner position. As much as they've had to play him.
Speaker 7: I'm surprised they haven't valued him more, and not to say that maybe they've just valued maybe that's the wrong word. I used him more, just because he is so versatile. We've seen him play multiple roles. We've seen him play nickel outside safety when dan Quinn was here, we saw him play in that kind of rover safety role that jen Ron Curse got used to playing in. He's a very versatile defender and he's good. He's a good defender. It's not like he's a liability out there. I think there's been times in the past where you put that depth corner out there, you put that depth dB up there, and you're like, oh, boy, hold on to your breeches. But this isn't I don't think it Israel mcwamu was one of those situations.
Speaker 3: The fact that he plays well enough in the nickel at a slot and they could put Lewis on the outside should tell you something a little bit, yep, because usually trying to move Lewis out of the slot is something you probably don't want to do very much. But they've they've found a way though with mcwalmu to play him inside a little bit and him be okay, and that's allowed Lewis to play on the outside, which you know, me personally, I hadn't seen Lewis play on the outside since the Michigan days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I know, it's really wild to me.
Speaker 3: And you know, all of a sudden, Glenn like, yeah, you're seeing your guy out, You're seeing him, You're seeing number two outside, and you're like, okay, they're doing this just because they're really really banged up, but it's actually kind of become something that they can go to. It's a little bit of a change. Lewis playing on the outside. It seems like they're trying to attack him with a vertical ball and he's like well, and you know, well in step and hanging in there and so yeah, it's but I think that says something about mccuamu because me personally, if I was a coach, I'd never moved Jordan Lewis out of the slot. Just wouldn't do it. He's just too good at that spot. But they've they've kind of figured it out.
Speaker 4: As much as you guys evaluate talent for the draft show, give me like it seems to me like the body type of somebody like mccuam who typically doesn't do well in the slot. Is that an accurate statement.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it just takes that typically happened like that's that seems rare. It takes those guys longer to move their bodies, and that you have to be able to move quickly in the slot. You have to be able to carry the field. Yeah, you got so that Bean Beyonce hips that.
Speaker 2: Pretty quick flexibility. Anyway, I would have gone with Shakura either or either or.
Speaker 4: Like I never know, I gotta go. Look now, I didn't realize she did.
Speaker 2: Their hips that this is this is Houston people.
Speaker 4: You know, people can't they're talking about No, it's not that it's like I just that's not something I've ever really heard about her.
Speaker 3: But I'm just I'll go.
Speaker 4: Check it out.
Speaker 3: Do you feel.
Speaker 4: That I'm not saying I'm gonna do anything.
Speaker 5: I just want to see.
Speaker 4: Anyway, we're off the subject to get back to the subject. But that is I guess my point is with that body type, is that tell you like he has a little rare, rare ability there as a leggy guy. As you mentioned.
Speaker 3: See, that's that's the problem ideally what you do when you have tall guys. And Will Johnson, who will talk about from Michigan is another one of these guys. It's one of the highly rated corners. He's six two. People will say, oh, he's a little bit leggy in his turn, meaning it takes him when he pedals and then has to turn. It takes in that to have to pick up his leg instead of just flipping, you have to pick it up and then get it go in the right direction. So that's what that's what happens a little bit what they talk about with Micuamu. He's a little bit he's able to kind of stay in balance and then turn quickly to get to where he needs to be. So he's not as leggy as your normal six ' two six y three type corners that.
Speaker 4: You see just another reason why it is a travesty that Darren Woodson ain't in the Hall of Fame yet at his size, not only leggy, but just a big guy to be able to play the slot the way he did for all those years. I mean, it's amazing to me. He's not in the Hall of Fame. But hopefully this is his year.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 4: Let's let's hope. So, I mean, what's weird to me?
Speaker 3: I was at the super Bowl with him and his wife after the after he you know, it was the super Bowl. We were in Phoenix and he missed out again, and his wife and I we were both like cussing up a storm right there in the terminal there in Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. We're just cussing, cussing, cussing about the thing. Darren walks up, like, what are you two doing? Just stop? Stop this, you know. I'm like, why it's a you know, and then I drop an F bomb and say something about, you know, why he should be I go, I was with Roy Butler he's not, you know, and I was going on and on and on. His wife's like, yeah, tell him, Brian, tell him what you know. But Darren's just like, man, just relax, both you relax. But that's Darren Woods who is That's I mean, he's not going to make it about him. And you know, I was getting more mad than he was and so, but that's the kind of guy he is. He just was like, Hey, it's fine, it'll be fine, don't worry about it. Yeah, And I'm like, no, I want to worry about it, you know.
Speaker 4: But extremely high character person.
Speaker 3: Really high character. My favorite player I've ever been around, all the guys I've ever been around, my favorite player by far.
Speaker 4: Absolutely all right, get this up on Tyler Guiden. What are we hearing about him here?
Speaker 2: In high ankle sprain?
Speaker 8: There?
Speaker 2: I would expect you when you don't go to start on Sunday and that's.
Speaker 4: High ankle sprain? Is that it for him for this year? Because high ankle's brains take several weeks, right, Yeah, that's not easy.
Speaker 7: They're not putting him on on IR just yet. I mean, they haven't until Sunday just it would be still be Sunday, right because it would be the game a day before the game. They until Sunday to do that if they, if they feel it that's necessary. But yeah, it's definitely not happening this week.
Speaker 4: Definitely not Yeah, but definitely a high ankle sprain, not a regular ankle sprain. Or is that what we're just kind of it.
Speaker 3: Was very strange. It was very strange how he like he got injured and you watch it and it wasn't like he got rolled up on. It's almost like a basketball injury where he stepped on it, stepped on scoon Maker's foot and it kind of messed him up. But he didn't get you know, your there and knee and ankle and you you didn't see him get hit from the side or rolled up on. It was just like you know sometimes when a shooter goes up and they come down on a defender's foot in it there. I mean, that's kind of I think what happened to him. And then he tried to come back. They were playing with the doga. They kicked a field goal or an extra point and they had him in attack and he couldn't put any weight on the left foot, you know, and you're like going, okay, well now he has hurts, because you could tell he was favoring it. But it was a really strange injury for you know, it was usually these linemen get rolled up or you know, something happens when they get caught up, but this one wasn't that one.
Speaker 4: What are we hearing about? Ceedee Lamb Brandon Cooks. I don't think either were at the open part of practice.
Speaker 7: Yeah, as far as Cooks goes just continuing, he came out well after what was that last Thursday. The big break is going to help both of those guys. I think if CD was operating on a normal week, it probably would have been a lot closer for him. But this, this extended break's going to help him. Today's going to be a big indicator though, for both of those guys, really, but more so CD.
Speaker 4: All right, let's take our first break. We'll come back. We'll dive into the Cincinnati defensively back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 12: Don't foot off getting your change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out.
Speaker 3: Of your car.
Speaker 12: You can take advantage of Take five's stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five, the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 13: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starn Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 2: Lucasey the official.
Speaker 13: Boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 14: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman a meat church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com check it out today YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 5: At and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 4: Welcome back. It is the second segment of the Break Life from SWBC Mortgage Studios. At the start, the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, let's talk about the Cincinnati defense. A couple of things that stood out to me initially. They are twenty six. They have a twenty six ranked defense in the NFL. They are thirty thirty first in points allowed, but they're also thirtieth in sacks. They're not getting a lot of sounds with only twenty one when that being sick. That's what I was going to say. Who is the best pass rusher and what does he typically line up?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it feels like Trey Hendrickson is about eighty five percent of what their pass rushes and if he's not getting home, there's not a whole lot elsewhere. He's leaving the NFL with eleven and a half sacks, but everything else crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, eating NFL and the team is thirty first.
Speaker 7: And everyone else on the team he's nine and a half combined. So yeah, that that pass rush has not been a phenomenal. I've seen them line up more so from the right side. I'll find the snap counts on his right.
Speaker 4: Side, on the defensive their right side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every one of his socks has been from the right side. So my my gut feeling is it's a chumadoga day. And so that's.
Speaker 4: Talk to me about that matchup. What you've seen from Chuman, what you know Hendrix.
Speaker 3: This is where this is where Hendrickson kind of is a problem is because he is capable. Some of these guys are really good at just going outside outside, outside, outside. This guy does a really good job of setting you up and he's not a get way up the field rusher, and then you push him past the quarterback guy he is.
Speaker 2: He's he he.
Speaker 3: He kind of You could tell he does film study because he's rushing at the level of where the quarterback's playing. A lot of the time, like if a quarterback's a little bit deeper of a dropper, you could see he adjust. If he's a little bit more shallow in the pocket, you could see he's there. But he is going to do He's going to rush off how he feels the offensive tackles playing him So if a doga keeps white set, whiteset, whiteset, that thing's coming back inside. And he's strong enough and he's got this this technique. And I know, Nick, if you were saying when you watch him play hands, slap and grab and pushing power, like yeah, when you try and kind of sit when he when he's going to get the edge, it's the edge. When he's going to go inside, it's all power. He's like, Okay, I'm going to take you to the quarterback. The Raider game, I mean, he destroyed the Raiders. I think he had four sacks in the game. It was crazy. But the Raiders were struggling with their their left tackle spot and he just took advantage of that. So Adoca's got to be ready for that that he's going to always get to where Cooper Rush is going to be. Don't if you think you're going to push him past Heck, you might push him into Cooper Rush because you know most.
Speaker 4: Of you are going to be so flat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gonna be so flat, and all of a sudden, you're pushing him thinking he's going to he's going to go by. Nah, you got to be You've got to make sure, you stay with him, you just can't shove him and hope that he's going to go to why But he's also got to worry about the inside rush.
Speaker 2: Here's the splits.
Speaker 7: He's played five hundred and sixty six snaps this season, he has only played four.
Speaker 2: On the left side of the defensive line.
Speaker 7: So yeah, this is a pretty clear where he's going to be. Yeah, yeah, I think I think of this one. This is the only guy I'm worried about on this defense. I would have said their linebacker and Logan Wilson, but they just lost him for the season. Coming into this week, they're gonna have some that they're gonna have some things to figure out in that second level. He was a really good run defender for them. But if I'm the Cowboys offense, i am leaning on Rico Dabdle. I'm giving him twenty twenty five carries and I'm saying, hey, you need to go win the time of possession battle because you need to keep the ball out of that offensive hands. If they can do that, then it's why the Bengals have had struggles this year is because this defense just stays on the field and it shortens the game.
Speaker 3: And Nick makes an excellent point because I was curious about their run defense. They're really good at the line of scrimmage and behind the line of scrimmage, but teams get yards after contact on them. So they've they're very good at contact at or beyond or behind the line of scrimmage. They just don't get the guy initially down on the ground. That's the problem that they've struggled with when the running game. Now, I'll tell you another thing, and this is something I think is very very telling about this defense running the football or running the football against him. Six of their thirteen games they've they've the opponent has rushed the ball thirty times. Thirty times in six of their thirteen games. The Bengals record is won in five. It was the only game they lost. The only game they won was the Giants game. They won that game seventeen to seven. But every other game where the opponent has rushed the ball more than thirty times, they've lost that football game. So you know, can you with with no Logan Wilson him Jermaine Pratt. I think Jermaine Pratt is an okay player too. For their linebacker, I think losing Wilson is really going to hurt them in this situation because I kind of feel like, okay, if Dallas gets into that mode where they you know, and and Dallas has had their share of struggles running the football we all see, but the last two weeks they seem to have found something here. They seem to have found a little bit of you know, with with rico' daddle and his ability. But I'm with Nick, I'm committed to running the football this game and seeing if the Bengals can stop the run.
Speaker 4: When you mentioned yards after contact, yeah, it appears to me. And I don't have the numbers on this, I'm sure we could probably look it up. It doesn't appear to me that Dallas has a type of run game that really drives on getting a lot of yards after contact. Is that an accurate assessment?
Speaker 3: And is so?
Speaker 4: Do they have the ability to take advantage of this perceived weakness for Cincinnati?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I wouldn't qualify Rico Dawdle as a slippery runner no physical Yes, and can fight forward for an extra few yards you know, after contact. He's good about falling forward rather than falling side or falling back. But I wouldn't necessarily say this is an offensive running game that is prone to missing tackles and making guys miss.
Speaker 3: Just to give you a point of reference, because I put it in my notes for my pregame show, and the Bengals have allowed thirty yards of yard of yards after contact in the running game, and just for a point of reference, Dallas has allowed forty eight. So we've all seen Dallas play and how it seems like, oh god, it's just they can't get the guy on the ground. You know, the last couple of weeks they've done a really good job on defense of getting guys on the ground. The defense has but overall it seemed like, man, they're not they're not They're not winning at the point of attack. They're not tackling. So that just gives you an idea. If you think Dallas has struggled stopping people at the line of scrimmage or beyond the line of scar behind the line of scrimmage, the Bengals have been just as bad. So that you know, Dalla is kind of a run and just blast into people and if he bounces off, you know, yeah, he's not going to sit there and spin and do all those things. But we've seen enough of him. Knowing though, if arm tackles don't always get him down, you know he's got you got to kind of wrap him up because he's going to kind of fall forward in the by the way, just to let you know, Ambar, Detroit Lions have only allowed six six hundred and seven yards after contact this year to running backs. It's first in the league. And you know, so Dallas is allowed twice as many yards after contact. And then what the Detroit Lions had.
Speaker 7: We got some breaking news. If I could hop in really quick, good or this is it's not good. Zach Martin is having season ending ankle surgery. According to UH head coach Mike McCarthy. That just came down, all.
Speaker 4: Right, So I guess the conversation we had earlier this week about brock Kaufman. Hey, it's times. Let's see.
Speaker 5: What's that you were so insistent of going with brock Kaufman. No, I was you know something already?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't. I I knew. We all knew how banged up he was. I mean, we all we talk about it every day. Derek asked his injury report, and you know, and I I to me, I was worried. I was thinking that that coaches are very much about processing a system and keeping things the continuity of things. You've run the ball well, you've protected well. A healthy body at right guard has been one of the reasons why Zach wasn't healthy. It just wasn't healthy enough to play.
Speaker 5: Y'all feel we already saw the end.
Speaker 4: No, I just I have a hard time. I thought all the way up till this point that this might have been the last year for him. I just now I have a hard time thinking he's gonna want to go out end his career on IR. And that makes me wonder if he's like a guy I want, I want one more shot at this. Yeah, you know, I mean that's a hard thing to do when you've played as long and as great as he has to be, Like, I'm going to end my career on IR. Like, I think that's just a hard thing to do.
Speaker 3: And we'll see, or he could look at it this way, is I need to get fixed and now I need to go on with my life. Maybe. Yeah. What I what I hope doesn't happen is that all of a sudden he gets fixed and the Cowboys say, we're not going to pay your salary anymore and move on, and then he goes in place somewhere else that I wouldn't like very much.
Speaker 4: There's a lot to consider here, but but yeah, that's sad news for somebody at that caliber that he's now on ir And you know, it is at that point where every year is a are you going to come back? Like that's a part of the conversation. He's even made it a part of the conversation. He's talked about it. So I think this.
Speaker 3: Year was really, really, really tough on him. And as we all have said many a day, father Time is undefeated. Yep, And there's a side of me that there's a side of me that now is really wondering, are you just getting fixed? So you can say goodbye? You know that we could bring everybody, we could have a press conference, and he could stand up there and thank everybody for you know, the opportunity he had and then move on, kind of like what Travis Frederick did. Yeah, you know, Travis Frederick kind of realized that he saw the end. He wasn't his Travis Frederick allpro center anymore. He was kind of a shell of that, and he said no, I'm done, and I wonder if Zack Martin's kind of in the same way that you know, Hey, I give it the best I could, you know, this year, and I just got too banged up and happen to get ready to play. You know, these seasons are they're tough on guys like that, very tough.
Speaker 2: Real quick.
Speaker 4: Before we take our break, our final break, tell me about the weakness of your past defense. If you look at the back end of their of their defense, where are the weakness is where the Taylor I feel.
Speaker 2: Like it's really everywhere. To be honest, it really is. And I I look at Taylor Britton. There's up and downs there. But I could say that for everybody.
Speaker 7: I mean, this is a young defense, not only in the past defense, but they went and got three rookie defensive tackles. They got a rookie linebacker, they have a rookie starting at corner and Josh Newton.
Speaker 2: Out of TCU.
Speaker 7: There's a there's a lot of youth on this on this defense, and it's they've kind of thrown them in the deep end and they haven't really been treading water.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 7: I feel like there's gonna be a lot of opportunities in the second area. They just have to keep Trey Hendrickson from regular shot in this game.
Speaker 4: If they can keep him over there and hilt back like they've only got one guy, I'm like, just double him.
Speaker 3: You speaking of a tight end, this might be a game This team plays a lot of single high safety, a lot of single high safety. And if that's the case, then now we've seen with Ferguson, I know it was Ferguson and Dac with those seam routes and stuff like that, maybe this is one of those games where you can kind of get Ferguson going once he gets back that you could throw some steam routes on that single high stuff, or get somebody in the slot that can play vertically that can do that against this group. I kind of feel like that Mike Hilton the nickel is another guy you can go after. So the two guys I would think about the most here is Cam Taylor britt he wears number twenty nine, and then Mike Hilton, he's number twenty one in the nickel. Those are two guys. Just block the front like we always talk about and attack those guys from the jump.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my guess would be I would expect to see a lot of twelve personnel and a lot of twenty one personnel. Either have that extra running back and lipg in there, or have that extra tight end in there so that you can give the li that you're gonna either run the ball or give the look that you can pass. Out of that you're just gonna get extra protection for Hendrickson and that gives you, I think, the best case scenario where you can maybe again especially with single safety, to be able to get some opportunities on the outside with those receivers downfield. All right, let's take our final break. We will come back and we'll talk a little bit about the Cowboys offense and how it matches up. Maybe get to a question or two. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot com, Raydale.
Speaker 6: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an.
Speaker 4: LG O lead Evo TV.
Speaker 6: That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit.
Speaker 2: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 4: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 6: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, Perfect Black over eight point three million self lit pixels, no one comes close. Lgo led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 8: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agg offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 15: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the.
Speaker 2: Game day lineup that can't be beat better.
Speaker 15: Yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 2: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing, and we're going to overtime.
Speaker 4: Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 16: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message in data rates. Additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 10: G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 5: L g O led evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our work for it. Digital trend said that lg O led G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at lg dot com slash oled ebo.
Speaker 4: Welcome back. It is find secondent of the break Life ins WBC Mortgage Studios at the start. You guess I'm real.
Speaker 7: Quick for Yeah, this is from Calvin Watkins the Dallas Morning News. At the press conference for Mike McCarthy right now said that Zach Martin will quote take a step back before deciding on his future, and Mike also said, we're not going to replace Zach Martin.
Speaker 2: He brings so much to the team.
Speaker 4: So yeah, wild that is that is that's that's sad news. But well we'll see how it goes and hopefully whatever the decision is that Zach makes good for him and his family first and foremost. We want whatever's good for him, so see how that goes.
Speaker 3: He was a lot of fun to interview last year, Like in a week we got at him.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite stories about him was, I tell you the story about his when he won that trophy in the bowl game. He woulded he wanted like he was. He was, and he was going to m v P of a bowl game. Yeah, the MVP of a bowl game, and they had the trophy, was right across the lake to go visit like friends, and he had the trophy in the boat and it fell out into the water and they didn't even go to his cap. He's like, well, I was going to share the trophy, but it's in the bottom of the lake. I'm like, you didn't even think about jump. He goes, nah, heck no, no, I didn't think about it.
Speaker 4: It's crazy at the bottom of the of a bowl.
Speaker 3: He was, Yeah, he was, he was m VP of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like he had to be.
Speaker 7: It's like Michael Dixon was the m v P of the Texas Bowl for Texas back then, back.
Speaker 2: In I don't know when that was. It reminds me of.
Speaker 4: That that is crazy, all right, that's real quick.
Speaker 3: It's kind of funny talked about this man because they give him like the Thanksgiving trophy that everybody kind of looks at it like oh hey, oh here yeah, and it's like a it's like a whacked out what are we gonna do with this?
Speaker 4: How much do you guys attribute the drops from CD last week to his injuries.
Speaker 2: The shoulder's got to be bothering him.
Speaker 7: I mean, with an ac joint, there's only so much your shoulder is limited, especially as far as getting your hands up.
Speaker 2: I don't I can't.
Speaker 7: Speak towards the drop specifically, but if I'm thinking about mechanics and how the arm and shoulder works, I'm sure it's not easy as easy as it would be catching normal balls. I mean, he said last week is the most banged up he's been in his career. He's playing through it, so.
Speaker 4: And we haven't seen him drop as many as he dropped last week in a game like that just felt like something was off.
Speaker 7: He is the second highest or second lowest catch rate in the NFL out of eligible receivers going into this week. He's dropping ten percent of his passes, which.
Speaker 4: I assume has to be a career high for him.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, by a long shot.
Speaker 7: He was in the He was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum coming into the season as far as what he's done these last couple of years. So you would have to There was a lot of things that I think factor into that. A him not being at camp and taking a few weeks to get going, and then Dak move gets out of the equation, got to get used to a new quarterback. Then you get hurt, and he was already hurt when the new quarterback came in. But there's a lot that's been playing out of CD's favor. But I think more credit has to be given to CD than discredit, just because he's still at the top of the league in receptions, he's still top ten and receiving yards. He's still help helping to power this offense even despite everything that's going on right now.
Speaker 5: And you know that doesn't help when you have a quarterback that's not always going to put it exactly where you need it to.
Speaker 2: Be, Like you have to be what do you mean.
Speaker 7: Minute, I know she is back.
Speaker 5: Hey, I have eyes I can see after getting lazy. That's why I protect him, protecting my investment in my eyes. No, but yeah, surely that doesn't help, and we've seen it not just with him, but the rest of the receivers. But I agree with you. I think, uh, the whole training camp conversation his way out the window at this point, and I think he's been solid enough given the situation.
Speaker 4: Let's take a question from Carmine Polo. He says, with the offensive line playing better, MIC's offense is still mediocre now more than ever. He needs to open it up. And this is not specific to this week, because I think we all agree that this week they need to actually maybe throttle it down a little bit and really rely on the run. But just in general, do you agree with that statement, and if so, how should they open it up? How do they open this offense up?
Speaker 7: Just be more creative, get the ball in the hands of their playmakers, and have blockers out in front. I feel like they don't. They don't utilize guys like CD Turpin Cooks enough in the run after catch department, and they have a ton of receivers that are good after the catch and can get out in space, and especially with some blockers out in front that can make things happen. That would be my interpretation of opening things up. But also we got used to last year so many mesh concepts, and I feel like we haven't really seen a whole lot of that this year. You know, if it's all felt very it's all felt very stagnant. So I would just guys on the move, always moving. There's been multiple times, and this goes back to when Dak was quarterback before he got hurt. It's been multiple times where it's four five seconds after the snap and all the receivers are just planted, you know, and there's there's not any movement. There's not any offscript movement. And you know that's what uh, that's what Dak was so good at last year in this offense, but just haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: It's all agree, I mean seriously, I mean, you it's taken trying to get Turpin involved. You know, you get some you get some legitimate playmakers, and it just kind of makes me wonder if we've gone back to some of the concepts that were you know, the first five six weeks of last season. You know, we go it's okay, let's we go back let's this, this will work. We'll we'll we'll tweak it a little bit. And it to me, it's just I watch we all watch games every week. We watch, we see teams, we see how other offenses operate, and it just it seems like to me, it's very much the nineteen nineties offense where you're running the slants and the hitches and you know, the sprint right option on the goal line. You know, it's it's very very nineteen nineties that when Joe Montana and Jerry writes and then we're throwing it, it was really good. But right now it's not the way to get your best playmakers open consistently. And you know, Ambar's talked about this a bunch and I totally agree with her. You know it, don't have problem with Mike McCarthy the coach, the head coach. I have a problem with Mike McCarthy the play caller. I do know, you're you're you know, and Mike Zimmer, friend of mine. I mean, I'm not saying it's because of Mike. I think he's had his struggles too, but I see him trying to do different things. He's just not doing the same Damn thing every week. He realized, I'm playing with short you know, a short short stack here, and I've got to kind of find a way to kind of, you know, use my guys. And he has. He's kind of pieced the thing together and now he's starting to get guys back, and it's looking better because they're doing more things. I don't see that on the offense, and that that that's that's unfortunate.
Speaker 5: What's weird and what drives me crazy is like and it's all about perspective, I suppose. But when we watched something, we talk about it for so long, but then we don't see them basically, I would say seeing the same things that we see. You mentioned Turpin and the conversation last year. Look how long it's taken for us to finally actually start seeing more of Turpin. Same with the Running Game for example, as far as this year, and and what's happened with with Rico, Yes, Hunter Lipke, that's another guy that kind of we've saw. We've saw sparkle, sparkles and sparkles, what do you say, sparkles and sprinkles flashes, that's the world looking for flashes of insane thing. Same thing, but even guys like Cooks last year. I know they tried one game it didn't work out, and I just feel that one game earlier in the season it was just maybe a part of him just having a bad day, and then he got injured and went out, and then we saw the fact that he has on the offense. He made two huge plays on last weekend's game. But it's just it's always interesting to me how we feel like we see things so clearly from our perspective, but it always it's different from what they show week after week improvement.
Speaker 4: There are things I think that they see in practice. There are temperaments that they see dealing with the players, Like the players are not Yeah, the players are not robots, and everything we see on the field isn't necessarily what they're seeing behind the scenes that makes them make certain decisions, you know, And I know just when you're leading a group of people, sometimes the decisions you may have a lot to do with what everybody needs to see. So if you've got a player, let's say, for example, there's a player and I'm not pointing at any particular player on the Cowboys, but let's just assume there's a player who everybody wants to see get more involved, but the coaches are seeing behind the scenes, he's not doing the study work, he's not paying attention during team meetings. Those are things that they look at and they're like, we're not going to reward that behavior by giving him more opportunities because the rest of the team is watching that, and so they have to make a decision that publicly looks just like, why are you not getting this guy more involved? But they're like, there are reasons why he's not more involved. And again this is not directed to any player. I'm just saying sometimes we have to think there are more things involved in the decision than what we know and what we see.
Speaker 5: And I agree with that. But the thing to me, yes, if it is one or two players, but when you talk of a larger scale, then at some point the players are not the problem. That's the point. Is the voice that they're listening to.
Speaker 4: Well fair, But it also could be a situation where again I'm not saying that's.
Speaker 5: All, this is just all I saw something.
Speaker 4: The whole point I'm making is just I think we have to be at least aware of the fact, and we have to if we're being responsible on how we report this. There are other things that could be at play than just the player's ability that we don't know about that they know about.
Speaker 3: You know, well, then maybe that it needs to be known that if they lose a game, And we asked Mike McCarthy, why isn't Turpin not playing more on the offense than Mike McCarthy, if he would help me out and say, Turpin's not practicing very well, He's missed, you know, he's missed some time in the meetings. He's not picking things up. We're not very good at that position right now. We don't trust him to put him in the game.
Speaker 4: Which exactly which the coach will never do. And again, please please, I don't want this started to Turpin's doing stuff off.
Speaker 3: Like that. He's a good teammates players just in general. It's certain player. But when you lose a game, you know, then tell me why, well you know it, don't tell me it was well, you know, the pre snap penalties, Yeah, turnovers are bad. No, okay, if you know, if you as a coaching staff, and maybe maybe off the record, they do more of that where they do explain that, hey, this guy is not very football intelligent and we can't play him because we're gonna make mistakes, you know. I I'd love to know that, if it has to be off the record or whatever, I'd love to be able to know that.
Speaker 4: You know, I will say and this back in the day, I used to appreciate this. Bill Parcells would actually give you a fair assessment of a player. He would actually go a little bit overboard, like he would even the good players. He's like, oh that guy, that guy, you know, he'd give hesment.
Speaker 3: He would go, you don't have to coach that guy, right, he will give you that's what he should tell me. He goes, you want that guy, you don't have to coach him. And I would go, that's fair. You know, you're right, it's fair. I don't have to coach you, you know. And and that's but to me, I would I think we live in a day and age where the criticism part. If you just told us why that certain things that some things would play calling, why it doesn't work, I think everything, we'd all have a better understanding of that, maybe a little bit more of a pass on something.
Speaker 4: And maybe that's the thing you do off the record. Obviously wouldn't go to get up on a stage and say that, but there are opportunities to tell tell the media that off the record, so at least the media colors how they were recorded.
Speaker 2: Right any ourselves is unemployed.
Speaker 4: Stop it all right, We appreciate you guys, join us, moving back to wrap this thing up tomorrow. Lets you guys know what we think is gonna happen on Sunday so they forget cares. Brian brought us at Ambres Derek Eagle to This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.