Speaker 1: With up Mathefel.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the forty nine Ers First and ten podcast presented by Cisco. I'm your host Brian McDonald. I'm with forty nine Ers to reporter Lindsay Kolaris and forty nine Ers insider Hazy Sadaa joining in online hazes. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: How are you feeling very good? Thanks for having me? Very excited to talk about minicamp exactly.
Speaker 2: Football just wrapped up day two of mandatory Mini Caamp. Lindsay, we're going to share all the details you were at at practice few of those days. What was the energy like out there? Is there a fresh vibe? Are people excited to be back out playing football.
Speaker 3: I think it's a couple things.
Speaker 4: So definitely it's just that carryover from off season workout programs. This team is feeling good, they're feeling healthy, they're feeling energetic.
Speaker 3: About the work that's in front of them.
Speaker 4: And then also too, as we talk about Mini Caamp, it was two days and definitely kind of last day of school vibes.
Speaker 3: Because after this.
Speaker 4: Of course, the team is going on a four already ish day break. They'll come back for training camp, but they're gonna have some time off. Obviously they'll still all be working out individually. I think that's like something really all of the players do, but it's just a break away from the facility and that structure. Everybody gets their mind right, and then really kind of the season unofficially starts with training camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: We heard from a few people during mandatory mini camp. The first two that come to mind when I'm talking about this next point are veteran Trent Williams and head coach Kyle Shanahan. They talked about the difference in tone from this off season to last off season. There are two completely different off seasons. Last year it was the shortest you could possibly get. This year, it's the longest you could possibly get. Hey, zeus, What did they have to say about the difference between the two.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's definitely very positive. That's what they were mentioning. Like Trent Whaliams, so obviously they had a longer off season. So we even get to see Trent Williams at this time of the year right at OTAs and obviously in minicamp. So yeah, they mentioned that about the longer off season, which I think is something positive because they almost all the players that so far have been on Impress conferences. The coaches have mentioned the longer off season and say it has something positive because they all been itaching to get back to the practice field exactly.
Speaker 2: And Trent also said this is the first Manastry mini camp he's been at in about ten years. But he said, you know, every off season is different. What's it like? What stood out to you the most in those twodays of practices seeing Trent, Botha and Christian McCaffrey out on the field.
Speaker 4: I think specifically with Trent Williams. Obviously he is one of the more senior veteran players. You know, he's in his mid thirty so, but he always gets questions of like are you going to keep playing? When do you see the end? And I see him and the whole rest of the team season. He's energized, he got high spirit, it's good vibes. He's looking in shape, as head coach Kyle Shanahan said, so.
Speaker 3: I'm like, why don't we just like let him play? Exactly? He's looking good.
Speaker 4: And I do think one thing that stood out to me that he said is that that youthful energy that has come from the new faces the free agents, the eleven person draft class that the forty.
Speaker 3: Nine ers have.
Speaker 4: It's infused that excitement and energy that maybe you lose a little bit of that when you're you know, in year fifteen sixteen in the league. So you know, I think all of that is it just leads to the good energy. Obviously with McCaffrey just healthy this offseason, which is something you know he battled through injuries in twenty twenty four, and then both I mean looking like himself and I don't think you would expect anything different exactly.
Speaker 2: We also got to see more of the rookies. Lindsay, I want to know, what are your early impressions of this class. Who's injured, who's out on the field, what's the state of the twenty twenty five rookie class? Looking like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so not to sound any alarms, I think, especially with many camp be short.
Speaker 3: The guys were not in pads.
Speaker 4: Just a couple like I think nix and bruises, like really just not things you need to worry about. But MIKEL Williams had I believe a tight hamstring, so definitely a reduced workload. You saw him doing some individual drills, but really pretty minimal for him, and then also Marquis Siegel. I don't think he's expected to be really practicing with the team until training camp. Other than that, there's some other injuries that we can go over. But for the rookie class so far, looking good. I think Jordan Watkins has been an early standout for a lot of people, just looking really comfortable and explosive early on. Obviously, again this is a non contact practice, but I think just early flashes are.
Speaker 3: Good to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey zeus. Trent Williams said that this class has some steals. Who do you think stands out to you? Who flashes out on the field.
Speaker 5: Well, like Robert Salah said on Wednesday, right on his press conference, it's very hard to have, by the way, right now because they obvious they don't have the paths on. But what we're looking at so far, I really like what I have seen from Jordan Watkins, the rookie wide receiver. I think he looks really good. He's been catching most of the passes he had a chance to get.
Speaker 1: Also, he looks really fast.
Speaker 5: Remember that was one of his main attributes when the forty nine ers drafted him. So I really like what I have what I've seen from him, and then on the defensive line side of the ball. On the defensive side of the ball, I like also a lot of what I've seen from guys like West.
Speaker 1: His hands are like really strong.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I'm looking forward to training camp when they get the paths on to be able to see those kills better.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Speaking of the defensive side of the ball, We've got some big news in the Bay. The forty nine Ers have acquired defensive lineman Bryce Huff from the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for a mid round pick in the twenty twenty six NFL Draft. Lindsay, when you first heard this news, what did you think for our D line?
Speaker 4: You know, I think just more additions to the D line. Is that was what the forty nine ers were looking to do this offseason.
Speaker 3: I think a very good get.
Speaker 4: You know, you have to call back to that pre existing relationship between Robert Sala when he was at the Jets and Bryce Huff only spent one one year with the Eagles previously, it's spent four seasons with the Jets.
Speaker 3: Had a tend sax.
Speaker 4: Season in twenty twenty three. Hard to ignore that double digit sack number. And really I think there's just that pre existing relationship, a lot of faith in the work and effort that he's going to bring to the Bay. And I think one of the things that Robert Sala highlighted is that Bryce Huffy says, has you know, the most explosive get off the ball stat you know that we like to talk about here at the Niners.
Speaker 2: So just an early highlight for him. Yeah, heze's how does he fit into our d line? How is Robert Sala going to use him and scheme him up this year?
Speaker 5: Well, I think he fits perfectly to the forty nine scheme because obviously he was with Robert Sala with the Jets. But also I think defensive line Chris Cuserk explained it really well. Remember like about a week ago, more than a week ago, we had the chance to speak to the different coaches, right like defensive line coach or receiver coach, and christ CAUs Serek was mentioned, and that with the forty nine ers, he fits perfectly because he's been used to his whole career to play with him with his hand on the ground. He's not a stand up linebacker like in Philadelphia. Mostly that that's what he did, right. They play a different scheme, but with the forty nine ers, he's going to be with his hand on the on the ground most of the time, so that that fits perfectly to his skill set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've covered the team for a while now. Shanahan and a lot of the coaching staff says that Rice have reminds them sort of like a d Ford. Would you agree with that statement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, because even Kyle Shanahan went into detail, right, he mentioned that on Thursday in his press conference that he's like the best get off the ball guy.
Speaker 1: That they had since Defour.
Speaker 5: So that caught my attention because obviously I remember when they had the four back in twenty nineteen and they went to that Super Bowl in Miami. It was amazing, right, so so much speed coming off the edge. And then also Chris kuserre mentioned the same thing. He didn't compare it to Dfour, but he said he spoke about his get off ability. I even talked to him about that, and yeah, he said he loves his speed.
Speaker 1: And then also even Trent Williams.
Speaker 5: Trent Williams wasn't with the team during that twenty nineteen season, but he said during his press conference they asked him about about BRICEE. Coff and he said, yeah, he compared like to D four in a way. He remember when they had D four and the Niners went to that super Bowl and in that twenty nineteen seasons. So in a way, I think they're trying to replicate like what they had back then on that differensive line. Obviously Bosa is the only remaining piece from that year from twenty nineteen. But in a way, I see, obviously Brice had like kind of like your D four guy. Then Mikel Williams. Remember he can play outside or he can play inside, and obviously you have Alfred Collins, you have a C.
Speaker 1: West.
Speaker 5: So some of those two guys that play on the interior, they could be like you're the Forest Wagner or you're Eric Carms. So in a way, I think personally, I think they're trying to replicate what they had back in twenty nineteen with that defensive line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bryce I have mentioned that he watched a lot of defour tape back in his time with the Jets, So it'll be interesting to see how that will materialize and how he'll add his own flavor. Definitely another amazing weapon to the d line. But lindsay, we've also got a new look to our special teams. There's sort of a reset during this off season. Could you share what those details look like for the faithful?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we have a new long snapper and punter and they were brought in alongside Greg Joseph who is a new kicker for the forty nine ers, as well as Jake Moody, who is now in his third season with the team, So a.
Speaker 3: Completely new operation.
Speaker 4: During mini camp, basically the way the workload was split up is Jake Moody to the first day of kicks and then Greg Joseph took day two. I think right now, it's just the acclamation period, right, Thomas Moore said, who is the new punter came in and fairly recently, So it really is just getting to know each other, making sure that you're in tune because, as we know, a kicking operation it really does take all equal parts. So yeah, I think it's getting to know each other. Obviously that relationship will continue to develop in training camp, but it's something that the Niners, you know, really need to see develop over the course of the summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've also got a new special teams coordinator and Brent Boyer hazews. How do you think that he'll put his fingerprint on the special teams and what should fans expect from him?
Speaker 5: I think a lot of great things because definitely Bran Boyer is one of them, opinion, one of the better special teams coordinator in the in the NFL. And when we had a chance to talk to him, I think it was before before at A started, he talked to the media and he was saying some things like really interesting, like like he mentioned that his philosophy is to obviously make his guys love playing special teams, like because a lot of them can make a career out of playing special teams in in the league. For example, the guys have really good special teams before even bron boy And got to the team, like George George autumn in the past, we had Raheem Moster, who for the most part was a special teams guy. Then he finds a way to become a very solid running back in the league. So so yeah, he was speaking about that that passion that you need to have to play a special team.
Speaker 1: So so I think we're going to see.
Speaker 5: A lot of energy a lot of a lot of passions on that on that unit.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Yeah, we've covered the defense. We got a new look at our special teams unit. Let's talk a little on offense. Some of the biggest stories from this off season was Brock Purty getting his contract extension. We got to see him move around on the field. Now after that contract extension, how is Purty building with the new receivers? How does he look out on the field now?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think he looks like he hasn't skipped to be right for him.
Speaker 4: This is now second fully healthy off season, no injuries to come back from. So that's an ideal situation, and I think there has to be some sort of security mentality that comes from like, Yeah, I'm going to be here, this is my team. I'm here to stay for the next five seasons. So, you know, I think that energy is very much there, But I don't I think that you would have gotten that with Brock Purty regardless of the contract situation. I think obviously having that in place is a great thing. But I think we've gotten some conflicting reports on whether Brock Purtty is more vocal or not. Kylie Chanhan said he's the same Brock but then we hear George k Hittle saying that he's speaking up and having more of a voice.
Speaker 3: I think it's probably somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 4: But I did like what Kyle Shanahan said last week that there are no new expectations of brock Party because he is trying to be the best at his position at all times, and the way he leads this team, like we've seen it, it works. So that extension is just they want more of the Brock Party they've had, and that Brock Party continues to build every off season, and I do think some benefits that He said that Ricky Piercel and Jacob Cowing went to train with him in Jacksonville, so obviously there's chemistry building there. He had great things to say about the Ricky Jordan Watkins, and also really good things to say about DeMarcus Robinson, who's coming this offseason as a free agent from the Rams. Just having his veteran presence there in that wide receiver room has been a good addition.
Speaker 2: Jyzeus pads are no pads getting loud, not getting loud? Have you seen signs of leadership with Brock Party as he enters another season in with the forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, definitely, definitely, because I think lead ship is one of the natural trades that Brad Perry has and and that's something that you either have it or you don't.
Speaker 1: And and when and.
Speaker 5: Since his rookie year, I think he showed that and even guys like Trent Williams. I remember, uh that year, his rookie year when when he played well, when he when he came in for for Jimmy Garoppolo and that game where where Jimmy got Injura against the Dolphins, and after that game when the Niners ended up beating the Dolphins, I remember, the media had a chance to speak to Trent Williams and he was saying, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 5: I mean he he immediately took command of the huddle, and for for a rookie, that's that's really impressive.
Speaker 1: So immediately he gained the respect of guys.
Speaker 5: Like like like Trent Williams, like like George Kittle.
Speaker 1: So that's very amazing.
Speaker 5: And and right now even with more experience, like like Lindsey was saying.
Speaker 1: That, I remember, yeah, Kittle. Kittle had a very good quote.
Speaker 5: He said, yeah, he's I think he's very vocal this year, even on our route during the the LTAS where I think George kill was explaining that j Want stopped running or something like that, and then and then Rapporty was like a one keep running.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he's like a natural leader.
Speaker 2: Now that we are closing the chapter on mini camp, lindsay, how confident are you feeling in this roster heading into a training camp.
Speaker 4: I think more than anything, there is going to be a good competition at training.
Speaker 3: Camp, and I think that's what you need.
Speaker 4: Right the forty nine ers were able to fill the gaps that they needed, bring in some new energy via the draft, free agency, most recently a trade. I think all the pieces are in place to have a very competitive training camp, and I think that's what this team really has been setting itself up.
Speaker 3: For all off seasons.
Speaker 4: So now it's just about getting away, keeping your body in shape, and then coming back and getting to work. So I think they've set themselves up very well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the players were itching to get back on the field and our fans are itching to get to see them in action in training camp. He is, what are some or who are some players that fans should you know be really pleasantly surprised to see a training camp. Who might pop during camp.
Speaker 5: Well, out of the guys we drafted, I mentioned obviously CJ. West and Jordan Watkins that look really good. How that maybe aptonsed out too, But.
Speaker 1: Also with the undrafted guys, remember the forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: Somehow they always find an undrafted player to to take a bigger role on the team, like Jordan Mason in the past, Kendrick Bourne. There's a season Shire so so I think this year it could be on It could be Sebastian Baldez. He looks really strong, really strong hands and and I think he could surprise a lot of people as one of the undrafted guys. And then on the offensive side of the ball, I would go with another undrafted guy, Corey Corey Kiner. I think Bobby Turner, even when he spoke to the media, I asked him about Corey Kiner, he said, yeah, he's tough here, runs violent, So yeah, I think Corey Kiner on offense and Selvastian about this out of the undrafted guys, because I already mentioned it, the guys we tunneled, the guys we drafted, a cool surprise A lot of people awesome.
Speaker 2: Well. With mini camp also coming to a close, Lindsay, there's going to be a few changes before heading into training camp. Would you like to share any updates on your side of course?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: So this is going to be my final first and ten podcast because I am headed back home to La So I just wanted to say it has been a pleasure being on this podcast. Bri and I started this back I think in November of twenty twenty two, So thank you so much for tuning in for the better part of almost three seasons. It's been awesome, and I'm leaving you in very good hands.
Speaker 2: Lindsay, Me and he Zeus are going to miss you so much. The faithful fan base is going to miss you so much. We're so exped to cheer you want in the next chapter.
Speaker 1: His is Yeah, we're gonna miss you definitely a lot, Lindsay.
Speaker 5: I mean, we really appreciate all you do and you're definitely gonna we're gonna miss you a lot.
Speaker 1: I don't want that here. I hate to say like goodbye, and it's not.
Speaker 3: A goodbye goodbye. I plan on coming back to at least be a fan of one.
Speaker 2: Game, so maybe even another guest on a First and Tend podcast, maybe a special guest. You never know. We'll definitely need to call you up and pick your brain on your expertise. Lindsay, thank you so much into our fans out there. We are also taking a quick break during our summer break that was forty days that our players are also taking, so we'll be sure to get back to you during training camp. But that'll do it for today's episode. Be sure to subscribe on YouTube, Apple Podcasts, and Spotify. Turn on those notifications so you don't miss when we're back and faithful we'll see you next time. Bye,