Speaker 1: You literally have one church for every child, So whow do we still have kids without a foster or adoptive family.
Speaker 2: I'm how the heck is that a reality? In my state, where we have more churches.
Speaker 1: Than gas stations, America has a foster parent deficit. We meet around one hundred and forty thousand more foster homes than we have today, and because we don't have enough home for these innocent kids, there's devastating consequences.
Speaker 2: And I get handed to two day old baby with no place to go, and I didn't know we had a place that we stuck kids with no place to go. It's places that we take eighteen year olds and we move them from the kids shelter to the adult shelter because we don't have a better plan for them.
Speaker 3: And that reality to me was like this is unacceptable.
Speaker 1: Today's guest is Chris Hampbell, executive director of the One One to One Project in Oklahoma, which partners with churches to recruit one new foster family a year and help strengthen one vulnerable family a month so that they can avoid foster care. Care Portal now operates in all seventy seven counties and has served over fifty four thousand children twenty thousand just last year, holy smokes, dude.
Speaker 2: And every day gross right, like even since that sixty one thousand kids.
Speaker 1: As of today, you've reduced the foster system from eleven thousand, five hundred to six thousand children in foster care.
Speaker 2: We created pathways for people to engage and partner and what do you know that that makes a difference.
Speaker 1: Their success in cutting foster care in half is incredible. I mean, it's wild. I've never heard of a state achieving such a reduction until now, and you're about to learn how so that you can do this in your state too. You could do small things from me eating a need on care portal, which is the largest cair sharing technology in the country, or significant things like actually becoming a foster prayer. And if there's an army of us doing these things together, we can solve this problem.
Speaker 2: But I see four million people in the state of Oklahoma that if we can't figure it out.
Speaker 3: I don't know who can, but I believe we can't.
Speaker 1: This is the Army of Normal Folks podcast, where our mission is to make service easier for all of us and together change this country. All right, everybody, We have super exciting news coming at you. I mean, Alice is excited about it, but I'm not sure how excited I am. The podcast is now live on YouTube, which means now you get to see me in case you prefer watching it there, and we're switching up the audio form out of the podcast. You can now either listen to the full version of the podcast on the same episode, meaning you no longer have to go to part one and part two to hear a whole episode we got going, or you can listen to a thirty minute version of the podcast that will be labeled as highlights and we get it. Many listeners who aren't as into long form podcast or struggle to find the time to listen to the whole thing each week have requested something like this, and so Alex got off his button. We finally created it. We're really not perfect, nobody is, but we really do try to take in all of your feedback and advice. We hope to create a product that makes service easier for you and all of us. So check it out and keep it coming. You can email us anytime at Normalfolks dot org and we will respond. Now let's go to the episode you guys have helped cut foster care and PASK in your state in Oklahoma from eleven five hundred kids to six thousand.
Speaker 2: How yeah, So there's sixty two hundred churches in the state of Oklahoma. So the big idea was, Man, what if we got more people involved. There's enough churches, there's enough families, and there's enough people that want to help, they just don't know how to help. So how do we create those pathways for more people to help Because the government can't do it on their own. So we created pathways for people to engage and partner and what do you know that that makes a difference in the lives of kids and families. That can keep kids out of foster care, can help kids reunify faster, It can support those professionals that work day in and day out to take care of those families. So that play what we've gotten to see over the last ten years has actually led with a whole bunch of collaboration of work on our government side as well to changing our system making a difference in it.
Speaker 1: So I love that you're not one of these guys is just saying government sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you worked with you got to work with government, you know, like in our state, you know, our state agencies is some of the largest. I mean, if you look at capital and investment and staff count, you know, they're they're doing good work because they care. But sometimes they have obstacles and red tape that prevents them from doing it as well as we would all like to see it done. And so we can either throw rocks at them and say just get better, or we can lean in and and try to help learn what needs to be changed and fill those holes, those gaps in the system where they can't they can't function.
Speaker 4: Just a number on it, it's a lot of people. From what you told me, it's like three thousand Child and Family Service So.
Speaker 2: Just in the child Welfare division there's about three thousand.
Speaker 3: Staff employees employees.
Speaker 2: So if you look at it from a corporation, you're right, it would be one of the largest employers in the state.
Speaker 3: Of Oklahoma, you know.
Speaker 2: So if you look at these different government enties, they're they're investing a lot in people.
Speaker 3: And we talk about all the time.
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of churches will know about their fire chief and their police chief, but they don't know nothing about child welfare or some of these other government agencies, But these are the people that are responsible when when it's the ceiling fan, it's it's the government child welfare folks that are in the middle of the hardest of the monk with families. And so I have deep respect for my government counterparts and the work that they do.
Speaker 1: I love. I actually love to hear that. I don't hear that all the time, and I love to hear that. What are the things we talk about often? Because it is such an effective idea and it's implemented. Implementation has now been incredibly effective across a broad array of uses. But you guys, we.
Speaker 2: Were the very first implementer of care Portal, were really Yeah we were. Yeah, we were Oklahoma, surprise, you know. So care Portal had done a couple of pilots and a couple of different locations, and one of those locations was Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: For those who haven't listened to the care Portal episode or even the care Portal, those that maybe listened to us for the first time briefly, yep, what is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have workers over here that are working with families that need help, and you've got people over here that want to help care Portal is the web based platform that connects the two and really simple to give opportunity without the red tape to directly serve families through that worker. And so that platform has now been around ten years, over five years cell phone, Yeah, on cell phones. It's a web app and a phone app. Now over five hundred thousand kids served through this. Hey, somebody who knows the family, advocates for the family.
Speaker 3: Somebody in the community that cares.
Speaker 2: Responds and says, hey, I can help with that, whether it's a dishwasher to a car seat, to a bed to utility bill, to advocate for the needs of the family, to know what the reality is that they that they have, but also recognizing that there's that worker, there's that government worker who's saying, hey, here's a family that we think can make it right. I mean, they could put on a request for any family, but most likely the families that they're putting on careport are the ones that they think have a chance because they're cheering for him too, right, They're cheering for that dad that's waking up at five o'clock in the morning and walking twelve miles to get to work, but then trying to figure out how he's going to do his you know, addictive recovery case plan and his child welfare plans and his kid's visitation right, but he didn't have a car. But the worker sees the hard work that dad's doing to try to change his life, and she's like, yeah, I want dad to have a bus pass, you know, like I want dad to be able to have transportation. I want dad to have people cheering for him because he's an amazing dude, you know, but when he's on drugs or when he's under the influence of alcohol, he's struggled. But he's making this progress and we all need to be celebrating that. And we want his kids out of foster care, you know. So sometimes the best family for kids is not a new one, it's the one that they've always had that just needs that extra support and extra.
Speaker 3: Advocacy for that.
Speaker 1: And so she puts that on care portal. Somebody buys a bus pass and it's great, and that way it's not somebody that wants something asking is somebody advocating for someone who needs it. In twenty twenty five, the one to one one project, I guess it's called celebrated a landmark Milestone Care Portal now operates in all seventy seven counties and has served over fifty four thousand children, twenty thousand just last year, Holy smokes, dude.
Speaker 2: Yep, and every day gross, right like even since that, sixty one thousand kids as of today. And what's been really cool is, of course, strategically, I think we all look at and say, hey, where's the greatest amount of need go go there?
Speaker 1: So you've reduced the foster system from eleven thousand, five hundred to six thousand children in foster care, and Alex says, there's sixty two hundred churches in your State's right, you literally have one church for every child. So why do we still have kids without a falster or adoptive family?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question, And I think part of that is not by the.
Speaker 1: Way that question can be misconstrued, that is, by no means a criticism. Yeah, that's right, because you've cut in half, yep. But it still is an inconvenient fact that there's that many. So what I guess, I guess what next? Why do we still have this going on?
Speaker 2: I think we all recognize that sometimes we have simple goals for the sake of communication. But then when we get underneath, we realize the problem is a lot more complicated than than any of us want to make it out.
Speaker 1: Is that not universal, that's in business, families, anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we we want to make it the reality of it simple, but we would be ignorant to say it's that simple. And so on the church side, the reality is a lot of our churches are small, little family churches. A lot that you know are aging, right, that are that are of an age that they're like, hey, we can't, we can't raise kids anymore. But they have a lot to offer, but it may not be in opening up their home. We'd also recognize the challenges with a lot of our kids in the system. Not not every family is out of the gate equipped. You know, even even if you've had kids, you probably need some additional equipping and training and development to make you ready to parent kids that come from our places, kids that come from trauma, are kids that come from a different cultural context that you do.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: What we recognize is is that kids are coming out of places of need, sometimes of rural poverty and even sometimes of urban poverty.
Speaker 3: But kids in the foster care system come from all sorts of different scenarios.
Speaker 2: So even a blanket foster care is ignorant because it's as complicated as people are. Right, that's different as people are. But I think the simple idea is we've got more than enough people, you know. But it's a lack of development and it's a lack of connection that keeps people from saying yes, which ultimately, Bill, I think is fear.
Speaker 1: I think I think we have taught foster care a fair amount on there. I mean, it's not something that we just it's not a focus. It's just we'd come up right, right, I from all of those interviews and all of the different faces and all of the different work being done, I do think fear plays a huge role in it. And I don't think it's fear of opening your home. I think it's it's the fear of, you know, how how much work is this going to be? Which is hard to be. Is this child going to interrupt my already organic nuclear family, and what's that going to be on my own children? I mean, and I think those are legitimate.
Speaker 2: Fears, are all legitimate fears, and I think for all of us, experience and relationship over time is what gives us the context of the wisdom to say, Okay, I'm ready for that, right, or there's other ways that I can be involved, and.
Speaker 3: That is just as good, Right, that's just as helpful.
Speaker 2: And so all of us that are in the foster care space would say, our heart is not to grow foster care.
Speaker 3: Our heart is to keep kids out of foster care.
Speaker 1: And so you'd like to work yourself out of there.
Speaker 3: Joba, Absolutely right.
Speaker 2: And so I think every state, if they're doing the things that they should be doing, they're thinking more about going upstream and prevention and community work, and then secondarily they're thinking about kinship care because like kids should belong in, if not their immediate family, in this broader family if possible, And so that work is all work that we're trying to do. So to say, hey, more families is the easy answer. Yeah, but it's the right kind of families that really can provide those kids a thriving environment, whether it be their complex behavioral needs, whether it be the disability that they have, or whether it be just the room.
Speaker 3: You know, Hey, I've.
Speaker 2: Got siblings and we want those kids to all be placed in a home together. Well, for anybody to take on one extra child in their home, but to take on three, four or five, that's a significant jump, right, But we would believe there's more than enough families. It's finding them, it's equipping them, it's giving them pathways to have those experiences to get them to a yes, versus just trying to cherry pick them off and throwing them in because they saw a picture of a kid and we're like, oh, you know, I feel empathy, but they're not ready.
Speaker 3: And so I think the big work that even what.
Speaker 2: You're talking about on this podcast to do is how do we develop a community and a culture that gets the experiences so that they are ready for those yeses instead of coming in for the wrong reasons and the wrong ideas.
Speaker 1: And now a few messages from our general sponsors. But first, earlier this year something we're really proud of, Army members launched six A and F local service clubs around the country. Their design is to make service easier for your fellow community members by really having zero requirements of the club's members. All you gotta do is just sign up and join our service activities whenever you can, when it works for you, and welcome kids to join us for everything and they cultivate an in person family like tribe. For lack of a better term, that makes service even more rewarding. We are now, really, because of the success of these first six, looking at launching more local service clubs. And if you'd be interested in either leading or serving on the leadership team of a new one in your community, email Alex at Alex at Normalfolks dot org and he'd love to connect with you about this cool opportunity. We'll be right back. Alex made a point, all fair, that's an interesting question, which is how many foster families do you still need to recruit? And maybe more important than not more importantly, but equally importantly, what's that gap and what happens to kids inside that gap?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great question.
Speaker 2: So in foster care, just like any entity, right, if you're not recruiting new you're dying.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, because there has to be attrition.
Speaker 2: There's always attrition, and a lot of it's fair attrition, right I, change of seasoned, life circumstances, whatever, moving moving. But in Oklahoma and every state we try to not talk about it too much, but the reality a lot of children are being adopted, and so every year in Oklahoma, fifteen hundred to twenty five hundred kids are being adopted out of the state of Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Childwell FIRS system.
Speaker 2: About fifty percent of kids go home in the state of Oklahoma, but about fifty percent of the kids will never go home, And so those families adopt those kids that the foster families that love those kids, who knew those kids, who have fought for those kids, tried to get them reunified with their families. When that doesn't work out, ninety five percent of the time, it's the foster.
Speaker 3: Family that adopts that child.
Speaker 2: And we want to celebrate that, but the reality is that work is still not done at adoption. We want to say, hey, this moment, check gets done right and everything's great, and when in reality that we know some of the toughest work actually happens post adoption, right when a child goes through those teenage years and they're dealing with the realities of how can my mom and dad do these things right? Like when that weight begins to hit and the emotions and the feelings, even in the best of homes, that can really rock a young person and create some really tumultuous years, and that family doesn't need to be fostering more kids as they're walking through that with that child.
Speaker 1: Right, that makes so much sense. So as they adopt and as they move on the number of foster kids, if we haven't gone up stream far enough and stopped it, they keep coming. So if you're not constantly developing families, you're losing.
Speaker 2: You're always your numbers are ratio wise, are going down. So if you look at the math, you know, I didn't love algebra, but you know you got numerator denominator, that kind of thing, right, you can you can impact one of the two sides. You get more foster families and your ratio looks better, or you help prevent less kids going into the system.
Speaker 3: You know, and so both both are worthy causes.
Speaker 2: Both you don't have a whole lot of control of if you're doing the work right, other than how can we provide more supports for these kids and families from different communities to make sure kids don't go in care? So so in Oklahoma, you know, we have zero point five five families for every child in the system. Yeah, so one family for every two kids, pragmatically right.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting, Also, as you said, there were three thousand people working for the government and there's about six thousand. That also means you have one worker for every two kids. You would think with one worker for every two kids and one family for every two kids, that y'all would have this thing under wraps.
Speaker 2: Right, And from the outside looking in the data makes it seem like, well, there's a lot of waste there, right, or a lot.
Speaker 1: Of Fluff's what it feels like.
Speaker 2: What it feels like, So let me unpack that even a little bit, because I think this is really important, and I would say every day I learned something new. I've been doing this now ten years, and I could share part of my story. I had a friend invite me to a local shelter. I was a church leader of a really large church.
Speaker 1: What's a church leader a minister?
Speaker 3: I was a minister.
Speaker 2: I was a paid vocational pastor, and my job at this big church was to help people serve in the community and be connected in community outreach. I was the outreach small group's pastor. I was in charge of all things adults for a church of about six to ten thousand at the time. It was a big church, lots of people, and I had a friend that said, hey, I love God was doing some really cool stuff with adoption in our church. A lot of families were adopting. People were saying, hey, man, our kids ministry looks like the un right that because these kids were coming in from all over the world, and it was really cool.
Speaker 1: That's just Chris.
Speaker 3: It was beautiful.
Speaker 2: But one of my good friends comes knocking on my door one day and she's got an idea. And as a leader, you know, ideas are a diamond dozen, right, everybody's got an idea, right. But this is a really good friend, a really smart friend, a friend that I deeply respect. And she's like, hey, I want to take you some place. And I'm like, absolutely, Rachel, where do you want to go? And she's like, I want to take you to our local kids shelter. But I didn't know we had a kids shelter. I'm a you know, not old old man, but thirty year old man, right, that's been highly involved. My head has not been in the sand, and it's my job to get people connected in the community. And I didn't know we had a place that we stuck kids with no place to go. And so she takes me to the shelter and I get handed to two day old baby with no place to go in the state of Oklahoma, and this is pre one, one one, this is like two thousand and nine, and literally she's like, yeah.
Speaker 3: This baby came from the hospital. Why the heck is this baby here?
Speaker 2: Well, there's no foster family available anywhere in the state of Oklahoma that at this moment can take this to dale baby. And I'm like, how the heck is that a reality in my state where we have more churches than gas stations.
Speaker 1: How is that a reality in.
Speaker 3: The United States of America?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And I'm taking families around the.
Speaker 2: World to do these trips to work in orphanages and that kind of thing, and pragmatically, in our backyard, we have this thing.
Speaker 1: We call shelter ten minutes.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to be temporary.
Speaker 2: But yet, as Ashley crossed, that same place that Ashley talked about on this podcast is that we take eighteen year olds and we move them from the kids shelter to the adult shelter because we don't have a better plan for them.
Speaker 3: And that reality to me was like by Wattership, Oba, this is unacceptable, right, How can we tolerate that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And I think in the science of the stuff that we're talking about, right, Like the pain of the current situation has to outweigh the effort that's going to be required for change. Right, And so for me, that was my moment where like the pain is too great, we got to change things, We got to fix things.
Speaker 3: So our church begin to lean in.
Speaker 2: We begin to send folks to that shelter to meet those kids and to play basketball and do hair and have pizza parties and do financial classes.
Speaker 1: Right, this is a temporary shelter.
Speaker 3: This is supposed to be a temporary shelters.
Speaker 1: That's about that. If there's no home, it becomes permanent.
Speaker 3: It becomes permanent.
Speaker 1: But it was never designed or set up to be permanent for children, right, that's right.
Speaker 2: And we know institutions aren't good for kids if you don't have a mom and a dad. And then we say, hey, go bless you go be an adult, figure it out. And you've never had an example of what a functioning household looks like. Right, You've never done your laundry, you've never done your dishes. You can't cook meals because of the liability associated with you know, food handler permits and all that. Right, Like the complications of institution make things not healthy for kids, and so it sets them monitor jectory and spiritually for the church. Would i'd echo to this church is how can a kid ever fall in love with this heavenly Father if they've never had to go to earthly one? Right, Like, we could talk all we want about God loves you. When they've never seen it with skin on, it's going to be a big jump for them, right.
Speaker 3: So foster care.
Speaker 2: The thing I didn't know is state of Oklahoma, just state of Oklahoma, eighty thousand phone calls every year to our hotline.
Speaker 3: That's how I mean eighty thousand.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's a coat, that's a teacher, that's a neighbor, that's somebody who cares, one or two on of calls a day. Somebody who cares says something's wrong here, right, And I think it's a scary thing. As a youth in Oklahoma were mandatory reporters. So if you're the youth pastor and you see a kid come come to camp and he's got bruises or scart like, you're required to call, right, We're supposed to report. But the reality, that's a lot of things to investigate, and so our three thousand staff their primary responsibility is if that seems like a legitimate call, because some of them are silly, right, like there's a marital spat that's happening and husband or wife because they're mad at their spouse, or making calls just to create some drama because they're mad, they're angry, and that's their only thing that they can do. But in the midst of all that chaos and sometimes even deception, there's a reality that kids are being harmed, they're unsafe, and so our frontline child investigation staff it's their job to figure out what's true or not.
Speaker 1: And they're handling twenty two hundred calls a day.
Speaker 2: And then not only do they just deal with the child, they're dealing with the mom and the dad, but maybe the aunt and the uncle, maybe the neighbor, maybe the teacher. Right now, grandparents and foster parents, everybody's got an opinion, everybody's got a perspective, right, they've got a supervisor, they've.
Speaker 3: Got a judge.
Speaker 2: So one situation involving three or four kids now becomes this inner web of complication. Here's the part I would I would celebrate our agency and once again, the outside is much simpler than the inside of this. But in Oklahoma, seventy five percent of the kids, even in situations of abuse and neglect, stay home or stay with a family member.
Speaker 3: That cares because what they recognize.
Speaker 2: Is, man, it's much better to support that family than to remove that kid, because once we remove that kid, the trauma to the kid is not worth it. Right, Like, just removing a child from their family creates enough chaos. But even for dad, what happens psychologically to a dad when you remove his kids from even a dad this struggling with addiction, might that dad, when there's a kid in his home have some checks even as faint, you know, as that that voice is still in his head, Like maybe I should party this hard tonight because that's interesting, Right, I'm gonna have I'm gonna have my six year old that's gonna be knocking at my door tomorrow morning. I might throw some things at that six year old, you know, because I have a hangover. But is we would all recognize that there would be some accountability for having a child and most healthy situations or family situations, But when you remove that kid, what motivation is there for death? Anymore, right, the one thing that he might be proud of, the one main thing that he might be hopeful for, the one thing that I mean, what parent doesn't want good parent wants their kids to thrive, or wants to brag on their kids, and so when you remove the child from their home, it really hurts. Actually the success of progress you can actually have with a family, whereas if you can leave that kid.
Speaker 3: In there, wrap around supports.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's the work of the agency that people do not appreciate.
Speaker 1: So we need to talk about three thousand people. It's really not that many. It's not that many for that kind.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, and recognizing also because we don't have enough foster families in the state of Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: That child may be placed three hours.
Speaker 2: Away from where that worker originated that case, so guess what they're actually really doing. They're driving to pick up this kid in this part of the state to this part of it just to do a family visit for an hour with mom, and mom because she doesn't have transportation, might be there late, might not right, like she's struggling her elf and.
Speaker 3: We're blaming mom.
Speaker 2: Well, mom, Mom may be walking five miles to so the whole system. Once you get inside of it, you realize how how really complicated and hard it is. Or somebody and so the ones that are making it, and it's a forty five dollars bus pass to help them be successful.
Speaker 3: It's like, why wouldn't I want to fix that?
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. I want to ask two things before we move on.
Speaker 4: You have set goals for churches yearly and monthly.
Speaker 1: Can you talk about that?
Speaker 4: And goals maybe that may be saying a little too crass, but like targets that ideally, in the idealized the world, that all each church should be doing.
Speaker 1: And then how are you guys doing against that right now?
Speaker 3: Absolutely so?
Speaker 2: Simply, you know, there's about fifteen thousand kids that come in and out of the Oklahoma foster care system every year. Right the math would say they're in tubes on average, you know, like people were caring for them and doubles.
Speaker 3: So if you have six thousand.
Speaker 2: Churches that served one family every month, that's twelve thousand families that are served every year.
Speaker 3: That touches every case in the state of Bookloon.
Speaker 2: So the simple challenge to an army of good is are you willing to serve a family a month, a whole church, one whole church.
Speaker 1: It's not much to ask.
Speaker 3: It's not much to ask, right, Like that simple goal.
Speaker 2: Now, it would be ignorant of me to say that that takes care of all the problems.
Speaker 3: But dang it sure with help?
Speaker 1: Oh why that makes it do? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because a caseworker is saying, Dad could make it if he had a little extra help. If that, if Dad had a rent deposit that he can't currently afford, we could speed up his pathway to housing. Because he's got a job, he's on a pathway for being clean, but he needs a dang rent deposit. So he's either going to wait three four months before he gets his kid back or we could do it today.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The scripture alludes to this idea of where our treasure is there are hearts follow?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So the simple concept is, if I want to care about the stock market, what do I do? I put a little money into it, and now what I follow a stock because I've got some investment there.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. Right, And you're saying, if you put a little money in a human being, now you're interested and you follow and then relations.
Speaker 2: Time energy capital right time treasure, talents, whatever those things are. But when you make that investment, you're in. You're in for sometimes a life you didn't realize where this thing was going to go. And the challenge with institutions and even with government is they control for liability and protection and they do this and nobody's ever able to get connected or invest. But when we open up some doors, some pathways, some on rance for people to they get involved.
Speaker 3: They begin to care.
Speaker 2: They begin to realize that child welfare worker is just like their college kid that they have that just graduated, that it's pursuing a dream and their dream was helping people. And so they got into social work because they felt called to social work. But yet the daily opportunity that they have kicks their butt every day and they want to quit, and so they don't last long, right, And so like you begin to meet people and make friends and see opportunities. But here's what's also beautiful is as you get involved, you begin to see the gaps. And what caring people do is they fill gaps. They solve problems. And there's so many problems that are so different in every community that if you don't invite the community in, they'll never solve it because they.
Speaker 3: Don't have any ownership in it.
Speaker 2: They don't have any buy in that's there, right, but when you invite them in to be part of it. You've got churches that are starting bunk bed ministries because there's not enough beds for kids, sleep and Heavenly Peace. Right Or Judy Sharon from New Hope Baptist in small town, Oklahoma. Right, she didn't even have a Sleep and Heavenly Peace.
Speaker 1: She just make it beds.
Speaker 2: You've got churches that are creating small, little medical clinics because they're hearing in their community people are not getting their medical needs addressed and they can't drive, and there's not a close clinic, and so some of their clinicians are giving extra time and they're using a Sunday school class to serve two or three families a week.
Speaker 1: On the surface, sounds simple, you connect churches with kids who need families.
Speaker 4: Hold on, I think we missed one of the goals, though I didn't answer your question very well. The other one was so church is trying to recruit one family year, recruit and support one family year. So in the state of Oklahoma, we have thirty five hundred families that are in the We have sixty two hundred kids. If we had a net three thousand families, we would have a one to one ratio, which the federal government says is like unreal. Yeah right, But if we had every church recruit and support one new family every year, it would overwhelm the system. The problem would be we would have excess, and we would say that it's waste, right, Like how do we license homes that we're not even going to use? It creates a whole other set of problems that we would have to solve. But there would be really good problems like, oh, we have options, we have five families to choose from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would think that that would be what you would want. Chris Campbell, everybody's a could director of one one one project Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, which is basically Tulsa. Dude, thanks for coming to spending afternoon with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for your advocacy, your voice, and let's raise up some more people to get in the game.
Speaker 1: I love it. Let's get a club going in Oklahoma City or Tulsa somewhere. Hiry buddy, thank you and thank you for joining us this week. If Chris Campbell has inspired you in general, or better yet, to take action by getting involved with care Portal, the one one one Project, starting something like it in your community, or something else entirely. Let me know I really do want to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill at normal Folks dot us and I'm telling you guys, I'll respond. If you enjoyed this episode, share it with friends, share it on social, subscribe to the podcast wherever you're watching or listening to it from Rate it, review it, and give us five stars. Join the Army at Normalfolks dot org. Join or start one of our local service clubs, take the ten level challenge by our birch Any, and all of these things that will help us grow an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Corney. Until next time, do what you can