Speaker 1: Here's the scary similarities. I had an idea just like Carston. I started the company with the mill, just like Carston, the exact same mill. And I went around in the trunk of in my superrew. I didn't have his call, but I had a super brew outback, and I drove around, uh, California, in Nevada and uh and would sleep in the back of the car and sell potters and do demo days.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, just going on.
Speaker 1: So I hire a babysitter for my daughter, and then I'd hit the road and then come back.
Speaker 4: Put another log on the fire.
Speaker 5: Here is given time. Welcome to the fire Pit with Matt Chanella.
Speaker 6: Thanks again to Joe Horowitz for our theme song. In case you missed it, we produced a podcast on the writing and recording of the song with Grammy Award winning producer Jakir King, which Joe called The Story. If you haven't heard it, it's worth scrolling through our archive and listening in on the process of producing a song from start to finish. As for this story, how and why Bill Pressey invented not only a putter, but game changing putter technology. How and why a guy like Sam Hahn would push all in and evolve and grow Pressy's invention in a way that it ends up in the bag and hands of Lucas Glover, who used it to win back to back PGA tour events in twenty twenty three. We're just getting started. In Part one, you hear from both Pressy and Han how and why they met, and you get a sense of why they work so well together. While Pressey had a good idea, he needed Han for capital rebranding and to get the unconventional tool in the hands of prominent influencers and tour players. But before we go any further, another quick appreciation for Dormy Workshop, the Canadian based company that only makes quality, handmade leather goods such as custom headcovers and accessories. The Bishop Brothers are good golfers, good friends, and we're lucky to have them putting our logo on their products. All available at Firepitcollective dot com. For their complete collection of originals, headcovers and classics, go to Dormy Workshop dot com and use promo code fire Pit fifteen for fifteen percent off your next purchase. For a quick recap of Part one of this series, Sam Hahn is an Oregon based golf enthusiast who managed a band and a bar by night, played a lot of golf by day, and on one day in twenty seventeen, Bob Duncan, Han's friend and swing instructor, presented a new putter.
Speaker 7: Bob comes up and, you know, shows me the reno two point one by a company called Directed Force at the time was how it was kind of branded, and I was like, what the am I.
Speaker 2: Allowed to swear? Yeah, of course you are, Yeah, yeah. I was like, what the fuck is that?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 7: Barf likes full on barf. I mean, it was just the most ridiculous looking thing I'd ever seen. I was like, there's no chance I'm putting with that.
Speaker 6: Duncan doesn't take no for an answer.
Speaker 2: You know, the revealer is profound.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's incredible to see a putter flopping around and not doing what you know, the golf putter gurus of the world have told you a toe hangg putter is supposed to do, or a face balance butter is supposed to do. And then you see this one staying square all by itself, and it's intriguing. So he's like, just give me nine holes, grab a cart, went out on the golf course and I one putted the first seven greens for a total of one hundred and fifty feet worth of putts.
Speaker 6: Like lots of people who get past the look of what was directed for us, and now lab Golf, the investment for Han was paying significant dividends.
Speaker 7: There's no more tinkering, there's no more tweaking, like this is the this is the putter. It's stay square by itself. So all I gotta do is let it And and so I went through my own process and figuring out how to utilize the technology and ultimately ended up with a very different technique than I had ever used with a putter. And then and then the results became off the chart. So starting then after I kind of found my groove with it. I was a one handicap at the time, I was a plus three and a half.
Speaker 6: Six weeks later, Hans says, there are four very serendipitous moments in this company's history. Ironically, the first is when his putter breaks.
Speaker 7: One of the fun things about these putters is that, because you know, when you start spinning them around, there isn't some massive torque pulling in one direction or another. This was kind of like my fidget, right, Like I'm just always walking around the grain, spinning the potter, spinning the putter, and one day I'm.
Speaker 2: Spinning it and I hear a little click. That's not good. I kind of go, you know, kind of go like this with the head. It goes.
Speaker 6: Fuck Bob Duncan strikes again.
Speaker 9: I knew Sam's background a little bit, and I knew that if I got him together with Bill, they'd probably go crazy.
Speaker 6: Bill Pressey on chemistry.
Speaker 3: When Sam called me.
Speaker 1: My head fell off, of course, she's like, hey, you know, my head fell off, And I kid you not. As soon as I heard his voice, and I think he'd probably experienced this, I was like, this guy, it was game on.
Speaker 7: They were about to close the doors, and I'd ask Bill to put me in touch with the guys that he was partnered with, worked out a deal with them, Me, my dad, and my brother all put everything together and bought out Bill's existing partners. And that's how the whole thing, that's how LAB started. So then at that point, so that was late twenty seventeen. I think we were officially, you know, business married in early twenty eighteen, and we were off to the races, and or so I.
Speaker 1: Thought Sam possessed the traits I don't. And and and it's a ham and eggs thing. I'm a complete uh inventor wild you know. It's you're not gonna rain me in ever and so uh, which is not a thing that you want running a company. And so so Sam possessed all those skills and and once uh, you know, he expressed interest in in doing a buyout, and we could buy out the company and I'll come along and we'll reform another company.
Speaker 3: We we did that.
Speaker 6: So consider yourself caught up. And we're going to get to more serendipitous moments in this company's history as it relates to Tim Wilkinson, Jeff Sluman, Von Taylor, Kelly Slater, Adam Scott. And then we do a deep dive into Lucas Glover and lab Golf's impact on his career. But before we get to all of that, those people and players, I felt compelled to go back.
Speaker 5: A bit lie angle balance.
Speaker 6: I understand what all those things are, but is that the that's the essence of all of this? That is the essence. It's it's you know, like, if you're going to like summarize all of that. That's the magic dust.
Speaker 7: Li angle balance is the magic dust. Absolutely, Bill's invention is the magic dust. And when you get to talk to him and find out how he came up with this, it's it'll blow your mind. I mean, happy accidents, man, incredible, incredible, just stars aligning for him to discover this thing, because it's so fucking simple, right, Like, why wouldn't we Why didn't somebody think, shouldn't we have the putter balance to go where the fucking ball goes?
Speaker 2: And nobody thought of it?
Speaker 7: And he, uh, he did, and so yes, that is the magic dust. And what the magic dust does is unlocked people's potential. And that's why we play golf, right, it's because we know that that the potential is there. We know we know that we could have shot two shots better every single fucking round we play.
Speaker 2: And with lab you get that much closer the hope. The hope becomes real and it's a lot.
Speaker 7: Of fucking fun when you get these things dialed.
Speaker 6: Meet Bill Pressey, a fifty four year old journeyman. He's a good player, an instructor, an inventor. He told me that as a kid in mcwan, Wisconsin, in a basement tinkering with clubs. His grandfather once told him there are four ways to making money. You can win it, marry it, sell it, or invent it. The take me back to the beginning, Why or when or where did you get the idea that you had some sense of technology that was game changing and that this was something you were willing to kind of push all in on.
Speaker 3: Gouss.
Speaker 1: It must have been twenty twelve or something. I missed the Monday qualifier for the Reno Tahoe Open that I was playing in, and I just hit the ball te the green. This I think I hit sixteen or seventeen greens and ended up shooting seventy two. I just about I want to go home and cut my wrists. But so it was really the thing I did. I had a pain SeeU five face balanced putter from the ping works department, you know, custom machine line in it and everything. And I back in the day when I got in the golf business, this is in the eighties, early mid mid eighties, they had the Cobra tricep cutter and they would go outside your arm, so you'd hold it down here in the shaft with slide outside your arm, so you couldn't do any risk motion and it was it was the tricep putter. So I had one of those, and I cut the grip off my pin and put a uh you know, steel shaft extension just wedged it in the end of the shaft so I could lock it outside my shirt and start making strokes.
Speaker 3: And my hands were so greasy.
Speaker 1: From you know, like the sunloation and the sunblock, and my shirt was slippery and it was a little sweaty, and I could not keep that putter face square just holding the steel shaft.
Speaker 3: It kept rotating.
Speaker 6: A rotating face is the issue here, and it becomes a theme. It's the basis for Pressy to keep tinkering and testing.
Speaker 1: If face balance putter isn't staying square, which I could see just in my just holding it on my shirt, then then maybe these other putters have some something different that I was never told as a young professional. And long story short, I go and I say, well, I'm going to make something to hang the putter because people aren't going to believe me that this tricep that I'm doing that. And I invented their first revealer in my garage with a with an old handrail stick and a shelf bracket and a string and a hook at the bottom, and I could just suspend putters. So I went down my arsenal of fifty something cutters, and none of them, none of them did what I thought they were going to do.
Speaker 6: As we learned in part one of this series, Pressey's homemade revealer is key to this story and ultimately the success of his brands and the business. It was a cobbled together tool that he eventually made out of a crutch, the type you'd use if you broke your leg. He used the two metal rods of the crutch and created a bridge between the two rods that he could suspend any putter from which ultimately revealed the marketing behind face balanced and toe hank putters is just that marketing, and that both types of putters face balance in toe hang required manipulation by the player to get the putter face back to being squared impact.
Speaker 1: So the revealer, the next stage of that was was like a cane, like an old man's cane, instead of the stick and hook. And then then I took it up to the broken crutch, and the broken crutch got quite a bit of attention.
Speaker 3: Early on in the forums, there's crazy guys out there with this broken crutch. Well, you hauled the putter right, and so we said, well that got quite a reaction, and it's showing that all these other putters are It's just miss marketing. You know, it's no in no way in physics does a face balanced putter stay square to a straight back straight There's zero connection.
Speaker 6: One more time, because I know this part of the story. It's technical. The term face balance is in reference to the idea that if a putter is suspended perpendicular to the ground, the face of the putter will sit square to the sky. A toe hangputter, if suspended perpendicular to the ground, the toe of the putter will point down at the ground. And if you hear the term torque, that's the twist of the putter face and any additional weight you feel as the putter head is opening or closing throughout the putting stroke. What press he is trying to create was a putter with no torque, a putter that essentially didn't twist or turn as you make the putting stroke. A putter that actually did what face balance and toe hang putters claimed to do, which is b square at the point of impact and get that ball rolling online press. He didn't stop tinkering and testing until he achieved lie angle and balance for his set up and putty stroke.
Speaker 1: In my mind, you know, being the creative type, I already envisioned what it should look like, right. You got to you got to grab onto something and say, this is what it should look like, regardless of your predisposed thoughts or or or expectations of what something is doing when it's not doing. And so I just went about making something that did what I thought it should look like, which is lyingle balancing. And it started with the old bett Ardy hour glass big bend putter I had. I had a knockoff of the big bend from in his Zone Diamond Tour component company in Chicago. Anyways, it's a great little platform because it's aluminum and it's flat, and it's got all the holes running through the side. You know, if you look at the side of a big ben putter, there's all these little hole and so they take weight and they put it in the front and back. But on top of it looked solid, but inside it's all wayfered out, and I'm thinking that's a really good idea.
Speaker 6: Listening to Bill Pressey can make my mind feel wafered out, and I'm guessing you might feel the same. But that's exactly why he was capable of inventing the original directed force putter and no one else did. Another quick step back in history and important to note it was nineteen seventy six when Raymond Floyd used the ram Zebra putter to win the Masters. The Zebra was among the first D shaped mallet putters that was quote face balanced.
Speaker 1: When the Zebra came out, that was kind of like it was hot and heavy on the market and King was losing. Ping was getting their butt kicked in sales, and I was selling them. I was in the shop in the eighties, you know, fitting and selling pings, and all of a sudden, the Zebra and ray Floyd came out. So then Ping's counter to face ballotalancing was well, the potter doesn't really do that. We have toe hang tow hag flows and there was nothing to substantiate that. This was just the marketing tool to stop the bleeding. A term that was developed to stop the bleeding to face balance, because the face balancing was the greatest buzzword that had come out in putters since whatever healed tow waiting. So the whole story you know of how we got to toe hang and face balancing, and this is just my opinion forty something years in the business. It came about when when Ray Floyd was started rolling the Zebra and ping was getting crushed in the post shops, and so they decided to come out with toeflow. Prior to this, and if you go back in the history books, toflo did not exist before.
Speaker 3: Face balancing in any marketing or advertising.
Speaker 1: Ever, it was not even talked about until face balancing came out.
Speaker 6: Almost thirty years later. What Pressey came up with where he inserted the hazzle and how he manipulated and placed the weights throughout the manufactured knockoff putterhead he had his garage invention did in fact stay balanced throughout the stroke and was square at impact with no manipulation from any outside agency. He achieved lie angle balance. That's what his revealer in fact revealed not only to Pressy, but eventually the industry and marketplace.
Speaker 1: Once I had the product doing what the original protos doing what they were supposed to do, then I started expanding and making the revealer. I took it to work. At the time, I was the director of his stroduction at Golf Tech, and you know, just teaching teaching, teaching, teaching, and so I take it to work and show some of my clients and they were blown away, you know, putting their putter in this little funky looking broken stick thing and standing around and they're like, well, what does that mean? I hold the putter. I'm like, I know, you hold the potter. You hold your steering wheel on your car too, but your car drives straight right.
Speaker 6: Bill Pressey got the patent for his product and his brand, the Directed Force Putter, in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: My initial launch of the company, man that I get some heat and some angry folks.
Speaker 7: And.
Speaker 1: Then a lot of great a lot of great comments, and those outweighed the angry ones.
Speaker 3: And the reviewer was then like the thing.
Speaker 1: And and so that showed really what was happening. And from an unbiased perspective, when you're going up against marketing dollars from major OEMs and you don't have marketing dollars, because you know, the people can be brainwashed and and through marketing, and we see it right now in our in our social.
Speaker 3: And the media and just in Americans in general, it's really easy.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing happens, and then the next person is just assumes that that's right.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: The revealer was great because it cut through all of that and there's no batteries, it's just gravity and no smoking mirrors. Here's what your cutter is doing. It doesn't flow, that doesn't stay squere. And so they were there were years and years of you know, just trying to make headway in the industry in overcoming the perception and changing the paradigm of what we perceive a putter is doing because of marketing dollars and a message that was sent out over generations.
Speaker 3: Like I was one of those pros.
Speaker 1: You probably were too, uh that for I don't know how long I thought face balance was going to be square backs, square through.
Speaker 3: It's just not. And so.
Speaker 1: As a connoisseur of golf clubs and a master club repairman, and you know, I was like the go to guy for golf tech for clubs, like on the national level, and.
Speaker 3: I was so embarrassed. I was kind of mad, Like I really was.
Speaker 1: I was, you know, director instruction and people what my word carries credibility, and so when I'm talking to my clients, credibility and accuracy of comments and accuracy information and what you're telling people has to be good. And so yeah, I was pretty offended as a pro when I found out that when I figured out none of this was real, and so LAB was ultimately started as a as a desperate attempt to fix my own yips, because I had the yips really mad, like I was shaking, like the plutter when I took it back, maybe rotated in thirty three different directions by different degrees.
Speaker 8: It's just.
Speaker 3: I couldn't stop it.
Speaker 6: The USGA and RNA announced the ban on anchored strokes, all anchored strokes, not just putting, in May of twenty thirteen, and although it wouldn't go into effect until twenty sixteen, press he had to go back into the garage and back to the drawing board and called a slight audible on his invention.
Speaker 1: Original grip was called the billboard bill and then this grip was twenty one inches and real wide, and there's a flat grip that went outside your arm.
Speaker 3: The USGA changed those rules.
Speaker 1: At the time, I just three D printed the original press gript, which was not lap. It was just a it was just a tricep locking grip. To bring the tricept putter grip back into the mainstream. So USJA dropped their ruling about anchoring, which prohibited tricep locking.
Speaker 3: And that that type of nature.
Speaker 1: So when I got back and they did that, I realized that my original putters that were just shafted in the back.
Speaker 3: Were not balanced.
Speaker 1: And that's where they'd all kind of like I did grips and.
Speaker 3: Then and then they changed the ruling, and then I took it.
Speaker 1: Off, and then I removed the shaft to a balance position. And this all happened like I don't know if you remember when they changed the rules. They came about pretty quick, like there was a little bit of chatter about it for a week or two and then bang it's that was that. And so I was in the process of trying to start my first company at the time based upon these rules, and they'd changed the rules like that, and so I scrambled to invent LAB because I couldn't lock it anymore. And that's how the balance thing kind of came about. You know, I was tinkering. This is all over the course of like two weeks or some three weeks or something.
Speaker 6: I asked Press if he had any financial backing or partners who were helping him produce his product.
Speaker 1: I was teaching and one of the guys I was teaching, nick Off Tech, owned a piston company, and so he made pistons for race cars, and he had basically the ability to make putters. I saw that right away too. I was like, well, I know what machines you need. And so he had the capability and the passion for golf, and so did I. So, you know, he was my original partner, and I was, you know, I was the brains. He used the money and the ability to manufacture and bring something to market, and that was down in Carson City. So we partnered fifty to fifty, and that's how we started direct to Force putters.
Speaker 6: In addition to the trials and tribulations of trying to invent a putter, the pivot based on changing rules and regulations, getting a patent, going to market, and competing with the power and marketing dollars of the OEM's original equipment manufacturers. Pressey was a single dad, widowed in two thousand and six. His partner and five year old daughter were in a car accident. His partner died, his daughter survived. Roughly eight years later with his daughter at the age of thirteen, Pressy and Directed Force were forging the aluminum heads in Los Angeles. They machined the product in house or through a local vendor, and the anadizing stage was outsourced.
Speaker 1: The whole thing was starting lab I look back, I don't even know how I got off the ground because it was you know, we were just shoe straining in it and literally like there was there was marketing dollars was zero. Like And I'll tell you what's interesting, Matt, this is the first I think most people would consider us an OEM. Now, this is the first time an OEM company, from start to finish, has been tracked on social media. Anything that was important from very day one to current to current I put on my social my Facebook page. So all the old protos, all the old you know, when Bryson turned pro, oh he was rolling director for us and I had him down in Vegas. So all the all the old protos, new accounts, the entire history of a company going from startup to boutique to OEM has all been documented on social media.
Speaker 3: First time ever, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Bill.
Speaker 6: So twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, how many how many putters? How many putters are you selling?
Speaker 2: Per year?
Speaker 6: Like you out there, you're onto something. You've got this revealer. Some people are like, quack, bullshit, get the fuck. Some people are like, hold on, let me see that, let me try it. How many are you selling? You're going to merchandise shows. You're out of your trunk. Basically, how many are you selling a year? In those first few lean years.
Speaker 1: You know, I would order heads at like a thousand at a time, fifteen hundred at a time, and we would we would show a few thousand a year.
Speaker 6: That's a lot, a few thousand putters a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we would show you know, my demo and I'm gonna be I'm gonna give this a shout out to this guy. So there's a fella is a PGA professional name. His name is Matt Holmes, and he's down in Palm Springs now. He was one of my early sales reps and he sold. We brought him in as a sales rep for NorCal and he was a fitter of the Year in Northern California. PGA. He sold so many putters in one trip with his credibility and the revealer and some demos and a little pop up it and you know the table with the directive force. He went around arcount and so so many putters he had me back ordered for six months.
Speaker 6: Meet Matt Holme. He's a PGA teaching pro at Desert Willow Golf Resort in Palm Desert, California.
Speaker 8: Twenty twelve. It's the first time I saw a directed forest putter. I believe it was at a like a local trade show in the Northern California PGA section. Twenty thirteen. I'd seen several guys in our section use a putter. Finished second. I finished second in the stroke play, so the senior stroke play at Halfmoon Bay, and the guy that wanted shot out sixty seven in the wind. Stuart Smith, I'm sure you know Stuart, great professional at Areno, and he ended up winning the tournament, beat me by five and then and then it kind of rolled from there and I was I was not a user at that point. It was a bullseye guy, right, So I was an old school of And twenty fifteen I did a little stint on the Radio with Golf Guys show a nine seventy at of Modesto, and he came on the show and I just talked about the putter a little bit, and that's how kind of get started.
Speaker 2: Is Bill Pressy a genius?
Speaker 8: Bill Press he is a genius. Don't tell him that though. And he's a very creative, outside the box kind of guy. And he's one of these guys that he has the ability to look at something for what it is and not kind of what it's been marketed to.
Speaker 2: He's not a marketer. I told him.
Speaker 8: In fact, I ended up spending my own money. I said, hey, Bill, you're going to do this, I'm going to spend some money. I bought a tent, I bought a staff bag with my name on it. I bought a tablecloth.
Speaker 2: At had thing.
Speaker 8: He was basically operating it like a scientist, not as a marketing guy. And I've had a background a little bit. He was a PG pro and managing golf courses and seeing presentation, and he was not into that. He was just into this is how it works. And I said, well, Bill, you got to have both to really be successful in this business. He kind of jumped on board with that and then the rest of his history.
Speaker 6: You almost put him out of business. You were so good at your job and doing what you did. You had him back ordered for like six months. He said, you almost put him out of business.
Speaker 8: Well, I think that's kind of he's kind of jokes about it. But yeah, I sold a few putters. I traveled around a lot. I had, Like I said, I had a big Lincoln town car with a big trunk and threw a bunch of putters in there in a tent and drove around. And I think the most putters I sold them one day. And again, this is a putter that no one ever heard about, and a lot of these people were buying putters, weren't even in the market for putters, so I think they My most I ever sold was like sixteen.
Speaker 2: In one day.
Speaker 8: Those small club Turlock Country Country Club in northern California, a great little membership there. But and then I kept calling him up and saying, when a they going to show up? When they're going to show up. And so it was like he was, you know, hand making him in this friend's machine shop in Rino, and you know, there's like one or two employees, and it was as hard because he was you know, I was selling them much as I can. And then you know people are they want it right now.
Speaker 6: So Home ended our conversation with some insightful perspective and a useful analogy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's interesting.
Speaker 8: I mean I'm a big Ernest Jones fan, and a lot of people don't know mister Jones, but mister Jones is a very famous instructor. Unfortunately he lost his leg in World War One. The end of his book Swing the Club that he makes a statement and this really validates Bill's product. The truth is first derided and then debated and then accept it as a matter of course. So when I got in, everybody was like, oh, that thing's junk. To look at that thing, it looks like a spaceship. And then people started seeing what was happening. Then they kind of did a debate about it and started inquiring and now it's like boom, Okay, now it's accepted as something that's really true. So it doesn't really validated for me because I knew it. I saw it, and I understood it. The only thing I had to do is I just had to change my perspective little bit on how I teach putting, because a lot of it was just manipulation, trying to manipulation the putter, keeping pressure in a certain position. It's just like if you're driving a car. You you're a kid and your dad hands you down a twenty year old Lincoln and it always pulls to the right and you just hold onto the steering wheel. The thing's always pulling to the right. And then you get in a new car and it's not pulling to the right. It's like, well, okay, I learned to drive with this car wanted to pull to the right. I learned to pot with a face wanted to open. That's what this did. It didn't want to do that. The face stays square point. You're driving a car that doesn't pull the right. But it's basically a.
Speaker 6: Good analogy back to Bill Pressey.
Speaker 5: How much were you so? How much were you selling him for?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think when he first started, ah, it was like two seventy five or something, and I thought that was crazy, but I so. Another key person in how this kept going with Stuart Smith. He's a PGA member in the Northern California. He's an excellent player on the national lever played for UCLA. So he played with Todd Yoshitaki, who is the director of golf at Riviera, and Todd is a super cool guy. So Stewart called Todd. He's like, hey, you got to check out this putter by this local pro. And and so I got the invite to go down and do a demo day at Riviera. And I drove down on my subie with with a trunk full of putters. I sold twenty something putters on that demo day at Riviera and or no, not twenty. I show like twelve. And then Todd said, I'll never forget this. He says, what you I the revealer and watching that and you show people what their putters are doing and what your putter does. He says, my members, you could I sold twice as many putters if you would have charged three fifty or four hundred bucks because they're not seeing the perceived value at two seventy five if you charge more, and sure I should you not. I ramped up to three to fifty and I sold twice as many putters.
Speaker 2: I'm Stuart Smith.
Speaker 10: I'm the PGA Director of Golf at Somerset golfam Country Club here in Reno, Nevada. That was certainly my initial tie in with Bill Pressey. And after using a long putter for nineteen years and the band coming with taking that anchoring out of my my repertoire after a long stint, you know, I just I that the lab Hutter was the way to go for me. So here I am. I mean, I've used it ever since.
Speaker 6: Both Matt Holme and Bill Pressey mentioned Stuart Smith as a critical component to the company's evolution.
Speaker 10: I gave him a lot of fe back on what I liked, and he I mean, I must have. I have quite a few of them here, even still in my office. I have a couple of the prototypes and grips, older, older grips that he used with the press grip. And I think, you know, he appreciated, appreciated me as a sounding board. He appreciated, you know, my ability at that time. You know, I played in some nice tournaments the last ten eleven years, so he knew I was a good accomplished player. And of course as his Bill, you know, don't ever sell Bill short. You don't want to give him to a side or anything. So that's how our relationship started, and we kind of went back and forth. He dropped some putters. I did some things here at my golf course trying to get the members involved with LA B. And I would say, I have probably fifteen or twenty of my members that used the lab putter. And it's still and I get funny enough, now is I'm a wreck ignized fitter? I mean I get even I get calls all the time. I should say all the time. I mean I'll fit one or two every couple of weeks, it seems.
Speaker 6: I asked Smith what exactly he liked about the putter and technology.
Speaker 5: First of all, the feel.
Speaker 10: You know, I know a lot of people sometimes maybe can't get over maybe the looks of it.
Speaker 11: I use.
Speaker 10: I use the big reno slash, two point one slash whatever we call it now, you know, the big mallets.
Speaker 5: So I think.
Speaker 10: Just of course, the feel of the solidness of strike, and just in my mind knowing that that thing depends irrelevant of how long a putt I have. I know what's I know that work is absent, So to me, that's allowing the putter to do work, do a little bit more of the work.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, back to Bill Pressey, where there was maybe a little too much work for the startup.
Speaker 3: And this is a good time to set this straight.
Speaker 1: People think that I ran directed for us, and I wasn't the brains my partners. My partner, Scott was the company officer, and so a lot of the decisions.
Speaker 3: Or we're not what I wanted.
Speaker 1: And and me being in the golf business, and I'm thinking, you know, just if you just listen to me, we'll do good. But people want to make their own input and do things, you know, the way you might run another company. Golf business is not like that. And you know that. And so when my my father, uh, who was kind of a strange for most of my life, he kind of came back into my life and he wanted to, you know, be involved. And I wanted him to try to, you know, because I had a granddaughter, he had his granddaughter and stuff and uh and and so he wanted to get involved with company, and uh, he invested a little bit and then he became the kind of like Scott put him in as the company manager or whatever. Well, I don't roll like that. And so my father classic father's son, crap, you know, whatever you think could happen happens. And and so I stepped away because they didn't like the decisions that were being made, especially with some of the social media forums and burning some bridges, and it was just it was not good.
Speaker 6: And now we've come full circle. Twenty seventeen. This is when Sam Hank called Pressy because his putter head had fallen off. It was instant chemistry again. Pressy described the relationship as ham and egg.
Speaker 1: And once, you know, he expressed interest in doing a buyout, and we buy out the company and I'll come along and we'll reform another company. We we did that and and so uh, I took I didn't get I mean I did get bought out, but my my equity and shares and everything that I had just transferred into LAB. And then we bought out the original investors and partners and and then Sam and uh and myself and his family. You know that the Hans took Lion, you know, the Lions share of the company, and which was which was nothing new to me that I was never in the controlling seat. So it worked out great. And uh, and as we started LAB over the years, it taken quite a toll on my on my psyche, and so I had to step away for mental health and and just find myself and you know, society and and just starting a company.
Speaker 3: You know that they beat you up pretty good.
Speaker 1: And you know, especially people feel threatened by new technology and uh and.
Speaker 3: Everything and just burnt out.
Speaker 1: So I stepped away from day to day operations a couple of years ago from LAB to do some things and and fulfill some of my own goals that have just been totally swamped out and neglected by the enormous task of labbing, getting LAB to where it was and is. And yeah, it'll it'll take it right out of it. So uh, it's Sam is an amazing person because he can he can do things that I can't do, and vice versa. But together it's it's really a powerful uh concept. And and you know, when when you're a CEO, you have to have a good product. To be a good CEO. You know, you're not gonna you're not going to find same you know, and the same thing. A good CEO can crash a great product. But those two have to exist coherently to be successful and to scale the company and to garner you know, when we go out on social media.
Speaker 3: Now I give the whole respect.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's cool, but you know for years, oh my gosh, it was brutal.
Speaker 3: I just stayed off social media and what some of them?
Speaker 6: But what were some of the comments that that you remember, you you know, probably personal, calling you crazy? What?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, there's all starts. Well I put the hands on my potter or you know, the uh, the branding irons. At a certain point it became at first it was pretty offensive. But you know, I got some stones and so I said, all right, well I've called I called the the the old power pod driver, some various things back in the day.
Speaker 3: So the branding iron and that that came with the territory.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's it's really uh, when you when you're putting something out there in the public, you're gonna get judged and you have to accept that.
Speaker 3: But when people start.
Speaker 1: To get personal, that's where that's kind of where the line gets drawn. And uh, no, people don't know my story. They don't know how much crap I've overcome to to be successful.
Speaker 3: From accuse you not, I was homeless in.
Speaker 1: Two thousand, like literally homeless, and so yeah, I mean there's a lot, Uh, there's a lot more than than just like creating a putter to get to get to overcome the crap that the big oams pull on you, uh, to you know, to try to keep you out of stores or to keep you away from players. It's savage, savage, and uh.
Speaker 2: It takes.
Speaker 3: It's exhausting.
Speaker 6: So any examples, any any specific examples or any stories.
Speaker 1: You'd yeah, I mean, well, here's an interesting story. So when Bryson turned pro, I flew to Vegas. I drove to Vegas, brought him some putters. Mike Shi, his coach, was in Sack and so you know, Mike had seen my putters and Stuart Smith and whatnot. Anyways, so you remember when Bryson went to this side arm lock or this side saddle thing that got banned. So I was at I was at Whisper Rock Cavin lunch with McCord and Case tends.
Speaker 3: He sleans over with his phone.
Speaker 1: He says, look at this and and Bryson was in his living room. He's like his apartment living room, showing me the stroke that he wanted to do. And if I would make a putter that suited that li angle, you know, eighty degrees and with this lean and and I'm looking at the stroke and I look back at Gary, I'm like, Gary, that's a non conforming stroke, like that's that's an intentional breach of USGA, which was I don't know how else he can look at it. So he wanted me to move the shaft or make a really upright thutter with the shaft length and the lean amount hand drilled so that he could do that.
Speaker 3: So so and I and I this is the biggest no I ever.
Speaker 1: I said, no, I'm not going to do that because I think it's not unconforming and it's not in the spirit of the rules, and I just I'm not going to make that. So then the next week, two weeks later, he shows up at that at that Bears event, you know, doing his side saddle arm locked in with the beer can the half beer can putter. And then and then the USGA saw that and they made they made that guy's putter, which was conforming, they made it non conforming unless he moved the shaft to the back of the head. That's how that stuff works. And if you get caught in those traps. The best know I ever said was right there, because that putter is no longer in existence, and they made him change the shaft location and everything because it could be effectively used in this certain condition of vertical.
Speaker 6: You said, the biggest, the most important know you made was to Bryson on what would have ultimately have been non conforming. What were is your best yes?
Speaker 12: Ah, that was yes to Sam buying the company, and and and basically, uh, because because I had so many shares in the original BF that I was able to kind of force a buy out.
Speaker 3: And uh, that was the best.
Speaker 1: Yes when he said he wanted to to make a move at buying the company, that was my best Yes, Yes, let's do it.
Speaker 3: By far.
Speaker 6: So that's Bill Pressey's story within the Directed Force Lab Golf story, and one that I really felt that I needed to tell before we can get to more of Sam Han's four magical moments that lead to Lucas Glover winning not one PGA Tour event using lab putter, but two back to back Pressi's life is now very much in order. He's a grandfather, he's lost fifty pounds, and on Super Bowl Sunday twenty twenty four, he will be sober for three years. In episode three, you'll hear from Jeff Sluman, Von Taylor, Kelly Slater Adam Scott and several other protagonists. As we build to August of twenty twenty three, you went from like selling five putters a week or whatever the number was.
Speaker 7: We sold more broomsticks in the last week than we had in the last two years combined.
Speaker 5: Put another long on fire.
Speaker 4: Nobody here is getting tired, settled down, and the story hears about to begin, The circles starting to take its shape, seats filled, and the tired, some lands ANSI escape.
Speaker 5: And everybody's got some glory. Just wait on to unfold. Everybody's got some story. Just wait on to be too.
Speaker 11: The place for that is here, all those smiles and all those tears, Let them go.
Speaker 5: Put another long five.
Speaker 4: Nobody hears getting tired, settle down, and settle in.
Speaker 5: The story he is about to begin.
Speaker 4: The tales were told of war, and that was lost in a lifetimes dreams that were so Maybe you should stop and listen at the wisdom and me maybe you shoulpoil your heart out.
Speaker 5: We ain't going the way. Bind you mercy and the sound as the smoke gets pushed around in your soul. Put another log on the five. Nobody hears getting tired, settle down, and settle in.
Speaker 13: The story. Hears about to begin the story, hears about to begin the story here was about to begin.
Speaker 9: H