Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 2: Now, let me check your pulse if you're not far though.
Speaker 3: What is up? Dolphins?
Speaker 4: And Welcome to the Draft Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network covering your team, your Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 3: How's it going everybody?
Speaker 4: I am your host, Travis Wingfield, And on today's show we back.
Speaker 3: We are back in the winner circle. And you know what time that means.
Speaker 4: It is as we transition from one theme song to the next theme song. Here is the Dolphins win big thirty one sixteen over the New York Giants.
Speaker 3: Dolphins get to four and one for.
Speaker 4: The first time in twenty seasons two thousand and three, the last time that happened, also atop the AFC East following a Buffalo Bills lost in London to the Jacksonville Jaguars. We'll tell you how Miami got to that thirty one sixteen final, as well as audio from head coach Mike McDaniel quarterback to u We'll break it all down and look at the five big picture takeaways from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This is the Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 4: A number of Miami Dolphins somebody made a suggestion to me that I should change that opening to that's another Miami Dolphins touchdown with the frequency of which the Dolphins have scored touchdowns this season, and they do it again on Sunday with four more trips to the end zone and a field goal, And it could have been even more, which we'll talk about in this podcast. But the Dolphins through the first five games of the season are just a yard shy of twenty six hundred yards, and that is the most all time through five weeks, eclipsing the nineteen ninety nine You guys might recall that team the Saint Louis Rams the Greatest Show on Turf with Kurt Warner, Marshall Falk, Isaac Bruce, Tory, holt Oz hakim Man. What a fun group that was to watch. Well, this Miami Dolphins team, statistically is more fun. Based on the numbers of the first five games, almost twenty six hundred yards through five games, and Miami got a bunch of those in this one.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 4: They put up five hundred and twenty four yards of offense three zho two through the air, two twenty two on the ground, and they did that on just fifty four plays, which I'll get the calculator out here. Five hundred and twenty four divided by fifty four that's nine point seven yards a clip. This Dolphins offense has just been unstoppable really through much of the year. A couple of their own self inflicted wounds have caused some low red zone mishaps. You have one game against the Buffalo Bills that don't go the way you want it to, but by and large, this Dolphins team has just been cooking all year long. Hopefully it continues, but through the first five games it has been just that twenty two first downs to Miami's fifteen. Miami just three for eight on third down. But this is an offense that hasn't really faced a lot of third downs this season because they've been so prolific on first and second down.
Speaker 3: They hold the Giants.
Speaker 4: The Dolphins defense does which by the way, Miami defense no touchdowns allowed in this game, just a couple of field goals as far as the defense is concerned, and really got after the quarterback. They have the second most QB hits as of the end of the one o'clock games and the National Football League with forty and a bunch of those came today, but the Giants just five to seventeen on third down, one for two on fourth down. Miami nearly doubled up the Giants total yards two to sixty eight for the Big Blue to Miami's five to twenty four. They had one eighty three passing, they had eighty five on the ground compared to Miami's two twenty two, and they ran at twelve more plays. Checked that fourteen more plays at sixty eight than the Miami Dolphins did. And how often do you have a game where you have three giveaways and no takeaways and you win pretty comfortably. I'm not sure that's what happened today. The Dolphins do sack Daniel Jones seven times and eventually actually sent him to the locker room.
Speaker 3: He was replaced by Tyrod Taylor.
Speaker 4: In this game, Miami took just one sack on their side of the ball, So give it six sacks this year allowed for the Dolphins offense. Through five games, both teams had the exact same penalty number six for forty three and the Giants had the ball for a second less than thirty six minutes, which means Miami had it for twenty four minutes. And a single second, So really productive day individually to twenty two for thirty three hundred and eight yards, two touchdowns, the two picks. We'll break those down more on tomorrow's podcast. We'll talk about it. Today's well though, but a one hundred or one hundred point four passer rating on the day to Von Hgen eleven carries for a buck fifty one, another touchdown, Hee most are at ten for sixty five, another touchdown, Tyreek Hill eight for one eighty one and a touchdown, and Waddle gets on the board with his first touchdown. And how about Cedric Wilson four for fifty two in his biggest day as a Miami Dolphin. Offensively so far, so yeah, the numbers keep on coming. Man, Let's go ahead and actually go back to twa tongue by Low who was asked after the game about the ability to post those.
Speaker 3: Types of numbers we just talked about.
Speaker 4: Offensively with the number of errors they made, which again three giveaways, a couple of penalties there, and just not the most efficient offense we've seen from this team this year, which I think should tell you how spoiled you are as Dolphins fan that you're not most efficient taste still produces thirty one points and five hundred and twenty four yards, pretty impressive, but Tua says it's thanks to the entire team and a complimentary effort that allows the offense to post that many yards when maybe they weren't their sharpest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that that says a lot out the guys that we have on on both sides of the ball. In order for us to do that offensively, we got to get the ball back.
Speaker 6: And in order for us to be able to, you know, do that, we got to we really got to all play together.
Speaker 5: And in order for me to pass the ball, the guys got a block. In order for the guys the runners to run the ball. You know, our guys got a block. And so I think they've done a tremendous job up front today. And you know, turn turnovers happen regardless of what the game is.
Speaker 6: And I don't think any any of the guys blinked.
Speaker 5: You know that there was no swing of emotion I felt throughout the locker room and throughout the guys. When we come to the sideline, it was just say, you know, we got your back, We got your back.
Speaker 6: And we're going to go and continue to play.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's go ahead and take a look at this game holistically comprehensively from the beginning, and we'll have some numbers and tomorrow's podcast for you guys, the All twenty two review, because I want to take a look at Dolphins defense at home versus the road and the splits.
Speaker 3: We talked about it a little bit on the Wednesday pod pod.
Speaker 4: I think it was, but those numbers continue now as the Dolphins have fourteen wins and their last sixteen starts here at hard Rock Stadium. Pretty great to have that type of home field advantage. But this game began a little bit differently than they have in the past, at least this season, as we saw the Chargers score on their opening drive, the Patriots did not. The Broncos did not either. They get a field goal in that drive. I think the Brokers got a field goal. The Bills score on their opening drive, but the Dolphins defense comes out first and puts it right to the Giants, who got a first down. But then quickly we're kind of knocked off that pace. And I thought there was a good variety and a good mixture of kind of getting some guys back into the fold. I thought Deshaun Elliott's return paid dividends, and we saw that come into play immediately with a scrape off the edge for a run stuff in that opening drive, we saw Cater Kohu kick back inside with Eli appleback on the outside getting some significant playing time there. Obviously, Andrew Van Gigle gives you lots of snaps in this game without Jalen Phillips, and we'll see when he comes back board a shot in the arm for the defense he will be I mean, you could argue your two of your best players on defense will be coming back to this team here, whether it's you know, sooner than later with Jalan Phillips and Jalen Ramsey. But that's a point for a different day. But I thought you also saw lots of variety in terms of new fronts. We saw a pretty heavy bear front where you have a defender over the center and two defenders over either guard.
Speaker 3: So I zero in two.
Speaker 4: Two techniques to kind of put a stop to some of the running game. We've seen have success on this defense in some previous weeks, and the results are what they are. I mean, the Giants ran the ball in this game just twenty nine times but ran for only eighty five yards, so a very good average for this Dolphins run defense. And you know, two high, single high playing some different dime packages and third medium with Justin Bethel coming out of the field. I just thought you got lots of variety early on, and that was the case throughout the day. And they played a good game plan, a patient game plan to help them put themselves in situations to go make plays, which they did in this game to Alph look at the ball back on offense and go right down the field, which we're used to seeing. That eight plays eighty nine yards and it was all screens and plays off the edge in quick hitters, and it was an impressive game plan. We'll talk about that here in just a moment more. But consistently good blocking off the edge, consistent good blocking from the tackles, and obviously the guard, I mean everyone was involved in all that action. But I love the trickeration. You go Dwaddle in the backfield, a twenty four yard end around for Devon h Chan. Let's see Austin Jackson gets twenty yards on the field freight the big block on twenty yard screen pass to Waddle Tua has that quick hitro as Hedrick Wilson for twenty three yards, just all kinds of space, and I thought McDaniels in his bag early to get that early seven points on the board. The Giants take the ball back and miss a field goal after a couple of third down conversions, but then the final third down on third and seven, Ogbaugh and Wilkins getting immediately for a combined sack there on Daniel Jones. Some tackling issues on that play. There was a couple of plays that got out the gate because they had him wrapped up, and he wound up getting bonus yards after slipping some tackles, but it didn't cost them because the Giants missed the field goal.
Speaker 3: The Dolphins then lose a fumble.
Speaker 4: Where I thought that was a really good man beater call to get Tyreek Hill on a little drag route over the middle, and Tua had good process to find him to get that first down and move the chains, and then a change starts breaking tackles again, and all of a sudden, the ball pops out for our second fumble of the day Whereheem had a fumble on the first possession, and that's the fifth funnel the last two games, which if you're want to point some things to clean up ball security part of that. Dolphins would have three giveaways on the day and that drive ends early because of that. But then you get a immediate defensive stop there from Miami to hold the Giants to a three and out. Nearly had a special team's air there, which again goes into the bag of corrections you can make, and eleventh man ran off the field. They flagged the Dolphins for it, but it was actually our They flged him for a twelve minut of the field who couldn't get off, but it was actually the eleventh guy that couldn't get off, So we were out there.
Speaker 3: With ten guys.
Speaker 4: But McDaniel challenges it and wins it and gets the football back, and as a result of that, the Dolphins after Cater Kokhu, by the way, he blew up a screen on first down to create a second and four team which then turns into third and three. And then Christian Wilkins, who just gave the center of the Giants fits all day long. He and Zach Seeler, my goodness, they were giving those guys fits.
Speaker 3: In the interior.
Speaker 4: They forced Daniel Jones off the spot, Baker cleans him up for a big hit to get off the field.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 4: On third down, you have the special teams almost air but didn't wind up being that. And then the Dolphins hit a seventy six yard home run with devon a change, and this was let's go ahead and do it right now. The play before the play was to a tongue of I looa on second and ten backed up, and the top of his drop on this play is in his own end zone. He gets pressure off his left and the rusher actually gets a piece of to a shoulder and kind of yanks at him, but to a you know, good strong bass stands in there and doesn't go down on the hit, climbs in the pocket, attacks the lion of scrimmage, and throws the football into Tyreek Hill for a first down, which you know, if he doesn't complete that, it's third and ten backed up, or if he gets sacked, it's potentially a safety. Maybe third and you know, seventeen from your own one yard line, that's not a good position to be in. And the reason it's played before the play is the very next play is a hat on a hat block across the board for Devon Achan to go seventy six yards. Boy, what an angle eraser he was. You watch that game on the broadcast or that play on the broadcast, I should say he those guys had the angle on him, but not for long because he ran right by him. And you see that urgency almost pick up, and the defender like, okay, I got this play. Oh no, there he goes, and sure enough, there he goes. He is just impossible to catch him the back. He and Tyreek Hill continue to rewrite the top speeds in the National Football League this year in terms of how fast they run at their fastest. So the Dolphins get out to a fourteen to nothing start. The Giants answer back and get a field goal after I thought Van Ginkel had one of his most impressive reps of another very impressive game where he stacked and shed had his eyes in the quarterback, pursued downhill on Daniel Jones and swallowed the ball back in his face. Deseean Han gets a pressure. Then they get three plays from Eli Apple in a row, two good, one not so much. The first was a really good pass breakup on Darren Waller, but then he gives inside access on a slant for a first down, and then he comes down and makes a play on the following play for a run stop there to create a third nine situation. They didn't go after Xavi and Howard on Darren Waller on a slot fade and he makes a great breakup after a first down for the Giants. And then Zach Stealler has back to back reps where he splits double teams, one for a TfL one for a sec just consistently collapsing the interior of this Giants line. They came in banged up, Miami took advantage and harassed them all day long upfront, and Zach Sealer actually got my game ball on the postgame show I do with Seth and OJ because I was just so impressed with how he consistently was in there against running plays, pressure in the backfield, and passing plays. Just a great player. Zach Sealer has become here for your Miami Dolphins. They kicked the field goal, Miami takes it back and all of a sudden, like this half is moving along super fast, and the Dolphins take it right down the field. They have a first and goal from the four or I think this, I think it was the four yard line. They get a short run and then the incomplete pass and it should have been DPI on Waddle in the corner of the end zone with a defender not even looking at the football, but they don't call it. And the next row, Tua tries to jam one into to Waddle, it gets tipped into the air and picked off and ran back for one hundred and two yard touchdown return. Just not great football there from Tua. He talked about it after the game, said that was his fault, his mistake. He came make that poor decision. And this comes after a sixty four yard screen pass to Tyreek Hill where that was where they both hit those high speeds and it was just impressive to watch those guys get out in space and really run, really open it up. And the reason I wanted to bring that up, actually, you know, let's go ahead and put that back to the takeaway because I have a point on that I want to make about the adjustment of the exitter, sprint motion, whatever you want.
Speaker 3: To call that.
Speaker 4: But two, his big pig six, just it's gotta be better than that, and he knows that, and he'll he'll bounce back and make better plays than that, the Giants score the touchdown, Mimi gets it right back in.
Speaker 3: Tua goes five for five. Boom, boom, boom.
Speaker 4: A bunch of good plays there to put the Dolphins in position to kick a field goal to take a seventeen.
Speaker 3: To ten lead at halftime.
Speaker 4: And I want to go ahead and play some audio here for you because Tua addressed his ability to kind of bounce back and play good football when he makes a mistake.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and run the audio on that.
Speaker 4: Because he talked about his sharp play after a turnover again five or five on that field goal drive to put Miami back in position. And he also had a pretty good bounce back in the second half as well. Let's go ahead and play the audio here from Tua on bouncing back after a mistake.
Speaker 6: When when I came into the league, it was.
Speaker 5: It was a lot different when I would throw an interception. The mindset I'd have, I throw an interception and I'd feel the need to press and think that I need to make a play for our guys, And really that's not that's not how I sort of take it into games, and that's really how I do it in practice as well. If you know, I throw an interception in practice, like those are game reps that I can use, So if it does end up happening in a game, I know how to move from move forward from that, So it's you know, it happens, and then it's move move on, and then what does this play entail for you to do to get your job done? For all these guys?
Speaker 3: Really good stuff there.
Speaker 4: We have more on that on the other side, including a breakdown of the sixty nine yard touchdown pass that Tua through a Tyreek Hill to kick off the third quarter. We have sound from coach on that too. On that, and we'll also talk about Tua's journey to get to this place and what McDaniel thinks about his ability to overcome.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Plenty to come your way here on the Draft Time Podcast, including five big picture takeaways. All that's next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by autot Nation. First half in the books, right, Dolphins take a seventeen to ten lead into the halftime break, and it felt like it should have been a lot more. I think it was three twenty five to one twenty six in total yards, but a fourteen point swing, they're late, We'll do that. And I actually had the exact same thing happen for my Washington State Cougar's on Saturday, who lost their first game of the year to UCLA. They were down nine to three before the halftime break and we got the pick six going back the other way, taking a ten to nine lead, and then just didn't play well the rest of the game. So I was like, oh, that seems like maybe a little bit of a payback there for my football weekend. I don't know, no one of the Dolphins cares about the Washington State Cougar so I digress. We move on to the second half here, and it was good to see Miami put themselves back in shape to score a field goal after the pick six that made a fourteen to ten to take that seventeen to ten lead. But they would not take very long to find a big splash play down the sideline as to a dialed up t Tyreek Hill for a long touchdown sixty nine yards. I counted the ball as thirty one yards in the air and man, this thing hit him right on the face mask. What a dime that was from QB one to put that ball in that location. I thought it was even better in addition to Tyreek Hill's release where we talked about with OJ in the postgame show, like zero zero zero, he whiffed in all phases of that jam the Brookie cornerback did as Tyreek's release got him wide open up the sideline, And.
Speaker 3: That's obviously great.
Speaker 4: But Tua's ability to play with the defense and manipulate what they do in terms of how they rotate and move two high safeties half half. You know, both guys had a half part of the deep coverage and Tua kind of locked onto the safety to Tyreek's side, and they ran a crossing route right at that safety which.
Speaker 3: He then pulls up.
Speaker 4: And that's designed, that's quarterback manipulation, that's Tyreek Hill winning on the perimeter. Just a lot of these things, good patch protection, obviously, a lot of these things that go into completing a sixty nine yard touchdown pass. The Dolphins had it all on that play, including a great throw and a great read and a great manipulation there from the quarterback and the keyhole ACU received obviously down the football field. But what you didn't know watching the game was that Tua actually made that play call himself. Let's go ahead and hear from Tua on how that happened, and he kind of teased you up for a McDaniel sound bite, which she'll play right afterwards as well.
Speaker 5: That's around play call, and you can ask Mike about that. I don't think I should be saying.
Speaker 6: That was wrong play call. I called the wrong play. I called my own play. So you guys might want to ask Mike about that one. But it's around play on the touchdown play. Yeah. Yeah, that sounds weird just.
Speaker 5: Taking the credit for that one or No, dude, he said a play and I.
Speaker 6: Told him I misheard him. As I was looking at.
Speaker 4: It, I was like, oh, I thought it was cool to get that sound bite there because he went before coach did the postgame press conference, so they did ask Mike and here's what Coach McDaniel had to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently he's still in my thunder. I wanted.
Speaker 1: I wanted to unveil that he's now a play color as well. No, I that's one of the moments that in the in the story of his you know, his journey, that is indicative of where he's at. I just know the way that we were able to move the ball a little bit, and then those turnovers and the picks. Last year, it would have been hard to get him out of that, Like just how mad he would be at himself and all the discipline work that he's done, you know, with mind, body and soul to be in a moment like that, and you know, uh, just take the game in his own hands. That's what you're trying to build, you know, these are the it was.
Speaker 2: It was a really cool moment that.
Speaker 1: When you're watching the formation set up, I am not composed because I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, what it what? What?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: You just don't know that you think everything, You have no idea.
Speaker 1: It's hard to visualize what play he actually called because you're just thinking that nine people are messed up. And then you know, is that that's the type of stuff that you can't manufacture to be able to have the wherewithal to say, you know what, let's put it in mine in Tyreek's hands. You know, I'm just very very proud of him. You know the sometimes the messy games are my favorite with regard to that stuff. You turn the ball over, that's hard, but what's uh, the big the best way to separate yourself is to be able to come back from that and progress forward and not let other plays linger. And there's very few guys that could pull it off.
Speaker 3: Gosh, you have to love to hear that as a Dolphins fan.
Speaker 4: Right, you look back at all the teams that accomplish things that this team wants to accomplish.
Speaker 3: What do they all have in common?
Speaker 4: Really good quarterback play, really good head coach, and a relationship between those two guys that works together and rows in the same direction. Has this relationship certainly feels like we have that here with to a tongue by Loa and Mike McDaniel. So the defense comes back up again after a really good first half, and you know, they could have sulked and been upset by the offense, you know, kind of ruining their point total for the day with the pick six, but they didn't do that. You get more big plays from Wilkins and Steeler Andrew Van Geinkle had back to back very effective rushes that caused the offense to kind of sput her out and get themselves into danger. And in fact, man, this Dolphins defense posted some big time numbers. We'll talk about that here in the takeaways. Just a really good game from those guys, they give it back to the Dolphins. Dolphins then turn it over again to a tongue by Lowa throws an interception that just didn't seem very characteristic of him. He called it, you know, poor decision, throw, poor everything by the quarterback. And this came after a holding call negated a forty yard raheem moster at run and then a chain catches an end around for a big yard and draft for the fact. But then tow It throws a bad ball that gets picked off and you know, some bad decisions putting the ball in harms way. Not usually characteristic of Tua in terms of it doesn't happen that often, but it happens sometimes. And that's why, you know, I always thought he was gonna throw more picks this year than they did last year, because I think the ability to know the offense better means more aggression and will be more explosive, which we have been, which sometimes comes with some negatives too, And that's okay. But five picks through five games, eleven touchdowns through five games is pretty dang good. All the numbers are going to look pretty good when he comes. When we just look at the box score and all the stats tomorrow, but just putting the bond Harm's way, obviously not great, leads to a Giants field goal, which Miami got off the field almost immediately a big time stop from cater Cooho on third and twelve. Dolphins take the football back once again and go score to make it thirty one to thirteen on one of the most impressive drives you can possibly have and assert your wheel type of drive and just showcases Miami's multiple routes to victory with its current raw. So they have offensively passing game, running game or defensively special teams like across the board, they can find ways to win games in multiple ways, and they did it on this drive by just committing to the running game. So devon e Chan goes for eight, they do a pop pass which counts as a throw from two it but it's really a glorified handoff for eight or for fourteen yards to eight Chan.
Speaker 3: Then Moster goes.
Speaker 4: Back to back eleven to twenty three yard runs, then a Chan again six five, and then Moster checks back into the game for six yards and then an angry run two yards into the end zone for six. Love to see that the Dolphins' ability to do that is going to make this offense just really difficult to stop. Let's go ahead and hear from Mike McDaniel on the running backs and that drive in particular, where it was run, run, run, maybe run some more.
Speaker 1: It was the time in the game that was definitely intentional. It was the time of the game that I felt like, shame, shame on, shame on me if I didn't put it in the ball carry in the line's hands, because I felt like they had they had a nice competitive advantage at that moment.
Speaker 2: And you know, that's a.
Speaker 1: That's that's huge for what we're trying to build when to try to be able to win games handing the ball off, you know, for the type of respect that you know, a lot of our that our pass game really gets.
Speaker 2: It's a monumental. And that's something that.
Speaker 1: I can tell that the team really you know, got them going, and you know, you're hoping that you can continue.
Speaker 2: That whole process.
Speaker 1: But I mean, shoot, like, I'm just happy for the guys that got to execute that stuff.
Speaker 3: So that makes it thirty one to thirteen.
Speaker 4: The Giants would add a field goal as the Dolphins and Giants kind of went back and forth.
Speaker 3: In the fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: Miami had five hundred yards and just the third quarter alone, So they've been playing these games. They are kind of like college teams where the offense doesn't really have much to do in the fourth quarter and you wind up losing a quarter of statue could potentially post, but I don't think it was going to cry for the Mimy Dolphins. Twenty five hundred and ninety nine yards through the first five games is the most in league history. Dolphins neel the clock out after some back and forth there, and the defense just continued to put pressure on that giant's front.
Speaker 3: So that's the second half. That's the result of the game.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and take our last break right there and come back on the other side. We'll hear some more from Tua and McDaniel and also give you my five big picture takeaways. All that's next on the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 3: The game is in hand. The Dolphins are four and one.
Speaker 4: I'm recording this late at seven o'clock on a Sunday night, so we don't have the results of the rest of the AFC games, but right now, the Chiefs are currently leading the Minnesota Vikings. The Dolphins and Chiefs are the only teams in the AFC with just one loss still on the schedule through the first five games, So good company there to be keeping through the first five games of the season. Let's go ahead into the five big picture takeaways here, and I want to make very clear off the top that I have one in here that would be construed as a negative. And I want to just make it abundantly clear that I think very highly of this team and what they can possibly accomplish and where they want to get. I think to get there, you demand perfection and then eventually we'll fall somewhere among excellence. So I always we'll look for things that could be better, just FYI. And that's going to be one of the takeaways we do here. But first, that ain't the first one. Number one is the game plan to attack the edges on offense with the addition of the wrinkles off the sprint exit motion, and with that you now have an NFL records setting offense through the first five games of the season. I talked about that first drive, just consistently going after the Giants off the edge. We talked in the preview podcasts how the Giants are awfully young at the cornerback position. Going up against these receivers is a tough matchup for anybody, much less guys playing their first five games or their pro careers. And the Dolphins just found a way to execute by running the ball off the edge involving the backs or I should say the receivers in the backfield with the backs out wide and using end to round and pop passes and reverses and all this action screen game just fun to watch. But the big wrinkle that I took away from this is you just added another thing on tape that teams coming down the pipeline here are going to have to adjust to and play to and honor and cover more space than eleven guys can cover. Because the sprint exit motion that took the league by storm and revolutionized the you know, the entire league in terms of copycat and other ocs using this stuff to their benefit, well they just threw another wrinkle in there because off of that sprint motion, Tyreek would often you know, take that rail or that glance over the middle, or sometimes the steam route like or the hookup or the like there's different variations that he can run off of that. But all of that basically puts the defense on their heels in a way that they would kind of, I guess, adjust to by playing off and just say, okay, well you can have the underneath stuff.
Speaker 3: We're going to prevent this deep stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, now all of a sudden, you just have Tyreek stop and come back to the quarterback and to us so dang quick on the trigger and accurate, which is such a critical component of these screen passes to get the ball out fast and to put it right on the numbers so there is no waste of movement to allow those blocks to set up and to get the cheetah running at full speed from the jump. That's a critical part of that play. Innocuous, sure, seemingly easy, yeah, probably, but it's critical and to it does it as well as anybody. So now you've put this wrinkle into your offense where we got to come up and guard behind lion scrimmage too, and be aware of thirty yard dimes down the field, like have mercy, where does it stop? And there's just so much this offense can do. I love the blocking across the entire board. We'll go ahead and say that for a future takeaway because I have it multiple takeaways here because it was a big takeaway from me. But that's my first takeaway is the Dolphins offensive game plans and structure and the wrinkles they're adding and the stuff they're putting on tape.
Speaker 3: It is a lot.
Speaker 4: Martin del tollls before the game that he was losing sleep this week trying to prepare for this Dolphins offense. Takeaway number two is the interior defensive line takes over a game, and really you can stretch it out to the entire defense because they were dominant in this one. And the great Marcel Louis Juck, who congratulations Marcel on your engagement over the weekend. He and Haley Sutton, another local reporter down here, will be getting married soon. So congrats to those two. They're awesome people and I love working around them and with them. But he had a tweet about the Dolphins pass rush production, which you know, we get the numbers from PFF sometimes, and Marcel tweeted out the numbers that he had from a quarterback pressure standpoint. Let's go ahead and rattle those off, because the Dolphins were just utterly dominant upfront in this game all game long. Here are your pressure, sack and QB hit numbers. Andrew Van Ginkle eight pressures, one sack and five QB hits. He had a second sack that was negated by penalty. Christian Wilkins seven pressures on the interior, a half sack and two more QB hits. Bradley Chubbs seven pressures and four quarterback hits. Manuel Ogball four pressures, one and a half sack and two QB hits. And then Zach seeler Man four pressures, two sacks and three quarterback hits. That was my game ball in the post game show, by the way, but I mentioned the interior dominance. I mean the edge two Van Ginkle with eight, chubb with seven, Ogball with four. That is what nineteen pressures from three players, but just the two interior guys, Wilkins and Sealer combining for eleven pressures, two and a half sacks and five QB hits. You will not lose football games. Get that type of production up front. And they just whether it was you know, playing with power splitting double teams, crossing face and using arm unders or swim moves or you know, crossover steps. They just consistently gave the interior of that Giants offensive line fits all game long, constantly moving Daniel Jones off the spot, is peaking, stacking, shedding, and making plays in the running backs in the backfield on handoff. So it just really really forced this offense into, you know, having to adjust to find backs to come scam protect and get in there, and to really get away from the running game in general, dominant game from the Dolphins defense, but in particular on the interior defensive line. Takeaway number three is I put devon a Chan's angle erasing running and how dangerous of an element that is to the offense that already has all these elements that can threaten you. But then I just said, hey, the run game in general, because we're at a point where five takeaways just isn't enough for me, because I'm cobbling together some of these ideas and thoughts I have throughout the course of the game. But the seventy six yard touchdown run, I mentioned it on the previous part of the show, where his speed like jumps off the tape and I think he's the fastest player in the league, like Tyreek has the time right now. But I think in terms of running away from guys, a Chan's might be the fastest.
Speaker 3: Like it's the proof is.
Speaker 4: There, right, But you had hat on a hat blocking across the board. That was so impressive. Just everybody that had a seal nailed it. Everybody that had a down block and nailed it. Receivers out in the perimeter. Good team football to get points on the board. You're running back in the end zone. Just love to see it. Man, these guys have been so effective. Raheem and alec Ingold. You know those guys are big parts of the offense too. I want to go look at the numbers of how productive we are when Raheem and a chan are on the field together. That two back personnel has been dominant. You added alec Ingold all of a sudden you have like thirty personnel, three backs, no tight ends.
Speaker 3: It's so cool, man, it's so fun to watch.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and hear from QB one on RB twenty eight to a tongue of I Loowa talking on him on a chance growth and what he's meant to this offense.
Speaker 5: I think the coolest thing about someone like him being a rookie is.
Speaker 6: Just who he is as a person.
Speaker 5: How you see him on the sideline, just chill, relaxed, like that's who he is, and that's how he is in the huddle. And to be able to go in the huddle and see someone like that, it's very it's very promising to know that, Okay, he's gonna line up, he knows where he's going to line up, and then basically if he's getting the ball, you know it's gonna be a big play more often than not. But I got a lot of respect for that guy, and I think a lot of guys around the league have a lot of respect for him as well. But the cool thing about it is, you know, that's like he doesn't take heed to listen into any of that. Just a humble guy just coming into working doing what he needs to help the team win. So I'm very proud of him and very proud of basically all the guys.
Speaker 4: And we'll go ahead and play some more sound here because coach McDaniel touched on the return of Connor Williams particular. He talked about the entire offensive line, but he was asked specifically about Connor Williams returned the lineup.
Speaker 3: What a good player. Connor Williams is.
Speaker 4: Man. Here we go, here's coach on Connor Williams and the Dolphins offensive line.
Speaker 1: Phenomenal job. He willed himself to play in this game.
Speaker 2: If you go by by.
Speaker 1: Standard measurement of injury and timeline, he he exceeded that. And I think it was very It's very impactful. It was very impactful for our whole group in general, because he's really taken a step in his game. One of the things that he does very well that we're kind of spoiled with is his ability to anchor the pocket. That's huge for you know, I think our interior line has did a really good job with that relative to any season I've had. And you know, I think that Connor's Connor's frustration at not being able to play with his teammates last week, it was it was so evident.
Speaker 2: I think it.
Speaker 1: Also charged up a lot of his teammates because he was, I mean viscerally like just angry that we lost a game and he didn't play, and so he was gonna make sure that there was no way he was going to stay off the field. And I mean, shoot, that's that's the type of guy that teammates love.
Speaker 3: Takeaway number four.
Speaker 4: I told you guys, I had to put one thing in here the Dolphins can improve upon, because again, to get where we want to go, we gotta get a little bit cleaner.
Speaker 3: And the entire operation.
Speaker 4: Wasn't too sloppy for today because you gained five hundred and twenty yards, didn't allow a defensive touchdown.
Speaker 3: But it was a little bit sloppy.
Speaker 4: So the stat disparity and the score disparity were not on par with each other, right, Like this should have been probably a thirty point game based upon just the stats alone.
Speaker 3: That's not how football works.
Speaker 4: But three takeaways versus no takeaway, it's kind of a sloppy game. And that loan department that often dictates the final results of football games. But it speaks to how dominant Miami has been in the rest of the part of the football game, which you know is most of it. But those plays tend to bog you down and cost you games. It did not today, But the pick six I just thought, you know, didn't have to force that ball in. There a couple of third down conversions for the Giants early on in the game that were you know, some easy access slants they got over the middle of the field, the eleven slash, tenth man or twelfth man leaving the field on special teams.
Speaker 3: These are small things they can clean up.
Speaker 4: The second interception, you know, to us said it didn't happen, but it looks like on the video his hand might have hit the helmet of Connor Williams.
Speaker 3: So just some things you can clean up.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and actually hear from Tua here who agrees with that that there are things that Dolphins can get corrected, even in a big win like this over the Giants.
Speaker 6: I think a lot of things are going right for us.
Speaker 5: If we just stuck with our plan and we stuck with our rules for each play, I think things were going really smooth. There were just times where we were aligned, things were you know, didn't didn't play within the structure of our offense, and things just just got out of hand, you know with some players. But outside of that's that's I would say, that's how the game went.
Speaker 4: And my takeaway number five here, I guess I kind of talked about the interior defensive line, but just how the defense senses blood in the water. I love this team's ability to play complimentary football and that when the offense has success, I feel like it just breeds success for the defense to be able to pin their ears back, rush the quarterback move them off the spot. I mean, forty quarterback hits is a ton, second most of the National Football League at press time. We'll see if that holds up and get you an update that on that on tomorrow's podcast. Also want to give you guys an update on the home versus road splits that are just so impressive right now in terms of how this Dolphins defense at home has been absolutely electric. But no touchdowns allowed in this game, put on a short field twice, one of those in field goal range.
Speaker 3: Pretty good stuff.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: The defense was definitely held up there, end of the bargain today and good to see them get a bounce back game for last week's loss up in Buffalo. Speaking of Buffalo, they lost. They fall to three and two. So we have a sole possession right now of first place in the AFC East with the first five games before welcoming in the Carolina Panthers next week here to hard Rock Stadium. Let's go ahead and just real quick give you some more numbers on this Dolphins defensive effort because the Giants came into this game. Here's Daniel Jones' day, fourteen for twenty for one hundred and nineteen yards, had six yards of pass sacked six times. Tyrod Taylor comes in nine for twelve eighty six yards, and he didn't throw a touchdown on our pick one sack on him. Their leading rusher had twenty five yards on twelve carries. The next was Daniel Jones four for twenty four. Matt Brida had nine for twenty one, so no running back for the Giants average better than two point three yards per carrying this one pretty effective day. Waller had eight for eighty six, so that was their best day offensively. But this Dolphins defense man just numbers and production limiting point totals. What a great day for them, What a great day for the team, What a great day for South Florida. Man four and one heading to the Carolina Panthers at home next week. Love where this team is are going. Let's go ahead and call that a podcast. Check out the postgame show. If you guys have not, we'll post the podcast link for you guys up on social.
Speaker 3: Also, please be sure to subscribe, rate review.
Speaker 4: Follow all that fun stuff at link for NFL at Miami Dolphins. Check out my guys Seth and Juice, Paul Soley I diving into the tank this week.
Speaker 3: You don't want to miss that.
Speaker 4: The YouTube channel for Media Availabilities Dolphins Today and so much more. And last button, not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time. Fins Up, Carolina, Cameron Daddy just coming Hold