Speaker 1: What's up, everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucko Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. I'm Noah, Hile's joining me as always our Josh Harrison and Platinum.
Speaker 1: Key aka Mark.
Speaker 2: The Pirates drop two of three over the weekend on the road in San Francisco, frustrating series loss capped off by an x tratings lost Sunday evening against the Giants. We've got a good show today. We're gonna talk about Bubba Chandler, Joey Bart and as always on Monday shows, we are going to round off with Platinum Keys Key of the week. So fellas, let's start off with Bubba Chandler. He goes five innings on Sunday, allows two earth runs, similar line in that regard to his last outing, but this outing a much better showing for one reason, and that's a lack of law. I think he walked what do you watched six in his second to last start. Yeah, sounds about right, something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way too many. He had one hit, one walk today.
Speaker 2: So that's that's a big win for Bubba Chandler, and honestly, that's that's gonna be something that you need to see from him more often, as Era now is down to four sixty two, still struggling to go deeper into ball games, which I want to hit on a little bit later, but I'll start with Mark here. Mark, I mean, what were your takeaways from Bubba after really after a kind of a bad outing, I guess, even though the stat line's the same, do you think you look better this time around?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I absolutely do. I mean, besides not pitching past five innings, which he only threw seventy seven pitches, so not exactly on him. He probably could have thrown a few more if needed, not his choice to make so. But overall, I mean, he just stayed in the strike zone a lot more. It wasn't just like a lack of walks. It was a lot mores as well. I think he may have thrown more strikes despite throwing less pitches in this outing than his previous one, So big growth there. He didn't let himself get you know, lose his composure. You know, he stayed locked in. We saw like that tumble he made, he made his first err of the year when he tried to like slide in and got caught up in the grass. Maybe that played a factor into them pulling them just a little early because that happened right before the fifth inion uh, with like one out left in the fourth, so he was able to finish it out. Doesn't seem like it's gonna be a long term injury or anything, just the Pirates being a little precautious. So overall encouraging stuff. I mean, this is still a rookie pitcher, right, so you're gonna have some good alltings, You're gonna have some bad alltings, but overall pretty encouraging stuff. Topped out one hundred and five today, so uh yeah, just just casual, you know, just a casual starting pitcher. Yeah, what were your takeaways?
Speaker 2: No, overall I kind of agree with what you had to say on just you know, finding the zone a lot more in the composure element of it too. I was curious to see how you would respond after getting taken yard and it didn't really bother him at all.
Speaker 1: So that's a good sign on the composure note.
Speaker 2: Big picture, and I'm gonna give my spiel here and then let Joshua in because I was thinking the other day, like what does a successful season look like for Bubba Chandler. Is it a sub four era? Is it one hundred and seventy strikeouts?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 2: And to me, when I look at the construction of this team, and this might be a different definition for Bubba Chandler personally, like it might not align with his personal goals or all of his personal goals. But if I'm the Pittsburgh Pirates, the number one thing I'm asking Bubba Chandler to do this year is get me one hundred and fifty innings.
Speaker 1: That's that's what I need you to do.
Speaker 2: If your number five starter can get you one hundred and fifty innings, especially for a guy who threw one hundred and thirty and a third innings last year between Triple A and the major leagues, that twenty to thirty inning rangees is like the desired bump of what you want. But for a team that's looking to get to the postseason, if he's at one fifty at the end of the regular season, that's a really good sign for him. So my goal And you look Paul Skeens his first professional season, he threw one hundred and sixty and a third I believe between Triple A and the Major League So that's a good mark, that one fifty to one sixty range. It's a perfect build up for what he's already done. And it means that he's healthy. And if he's throwing that many innings, it means that he's.
Speaker 1: Still in the starting rotations.
Speaker 2: He's good enough to stay one of their five and unlike, and we mentioned this on the show before, there are other guys in this rotation on this staff, they're going to have workload restrictions. If he's throwing one hundred fifty hundred and sixty, there shouldn't be a lot of limitations placed on him because it just means he's getting you five to six pretty much every time he's pitching. So that's how I've Bubba Chandler's rookie season and what it needs to be. Just get get one hundred and fifty plus innings under your belt this year, keep that e er under you know, the lower side of four point five, and you've done your job.
Speaker 1: Josh, Is that a fair assessment?
Speaker 5: Uh? Yeah, obviously after listening to both of your spills, progress for him, as you said, is going to be continuing to go five or six and today you said he won seventy seven pitches could argue that he possibly could have gone more, but for his progress to continue to trend upward, he has to have days like today where you mentioned one walk. Yes, what good does it do you to have this electric stuff if you can't you know, pitch in the zone or even be around the zone, because with stuff that good, you don't necessarily have to you know, be perfect. And maybe it's a case of him thinking that he's got to make the perfect pitch. And sometimes you see that with younger guys, especially with powerful arms. You know, oh, let me let me throw you said, he throw one on five. Let me let me throw this one O five, you know, dotted, and it's like, you know what, learn learn how to control you know, the strike zone. You know, you don't have to be perfect with that stuff. And sometimes it could be a case of, you know, even after some of his you know, outings, his interviews, you know, you can listen to the way he speaks, he owns up to you know, I gotta be better. I have to do this. But you know it's more than just saying it, and sometimes just a matter of you know, having days like today five any seventy seven pitches one walk. I mean, as I said, we could build off of that. You can you can throw more pictures than that. So I think his progress is going to continue to trend upward the more that he finds the zone, because as you said, he showed composure after giving up a home run. That's gonna happen, it's big league hitters. But what it's going to teach him is that, man, the more than I'm in his zone now I can really you know, be aggressive with my stuff as opposed to when you're in one o, two oh counts. You know, now it's like, oh, I have to throw a strike, and sometimes that's the hardest time to throw a strike because you don't want to prove one and then you miss. Now you're three to zero. So his progress, as you said, I'm gonna agree with that because one hundred and thirty innings last year, if he's up to one hundred and fifty, one hundred and sixty, he's going five to six. He's not walking that many guys, And that to me is what we came into this season, you know, talking about Bubba is being able to you know, control the strike zone, and ultimately today is a step in the right direction.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna take a quick break. When we come back, we're going to talk about the guy Bubba Chandler was throwing to, not in this start, but the last one, Joey Bart.
Speaker 4: Big dog. You know how it is, man, We're always hungry, and how do we get our food? We don't want the stuff that makes our bellies hurt. We go to Hello Fresh. We find out specifically what we love to eat. And guess what, Kratzy, I know it helps you out the household wife. He is happy and the kids are extra happy.
Speaker 6: I'm good at two things. Cooking is one of them, but not trying to choose what we're going to have. I've gone fifteen meals so far and they haven't given me one repeat meal. There's so many to choose from, and they can make it easy for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think the best part of it is is for me, I'm very particular. I'm trying new things and I'm really really liking these things from HelloFresh. Go to HelloFresh dot com slash ft ten FM now to get ten free meals plus a free breakfast for life one per box with active subscription. Free meals applied to discount on first box new subscribers only varies by plan. That's HelloFresh dot com slash ft ten FM to get ten free meals plus free breakfast for life. Who wants that? I know everybody would love.
Speaker 1: That, all right, guys.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, we've talked a lot about the weaknesses of this team, and the two glaring ones are obviously outfield defense in the bullpen for the reason why they lost Sunday. But another weakness throughout the season has been catching. I mean, they're getting decent defensive play from behind the plate, but for I mean all of last year and a large part of this season so far, offense has been a problem among the Pirates catching staff, but it hasn't been as of late thanks to Joey. Joey Bart in his last fifteen games is slashing three h two, three eleven for sixty five and that includes a pair of home runs. Believe five or six RBIs.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I don't have those six rbi in that's slight. And Mark has the Baseball Savant chart here. His defense has also been fine. I wouldn't say it's amazing, and it's ironic that we're touting his batting stats because you see a lot of blue there. But if you go to the defensive metrics, I mean, seventy fourth percentile and pop time forty second percentile. On framing cs above average is league average, and then blocks above average is I believe that it says sixty one percent.
Speaker 1: Don't have my glasses on, So.
Speaker 2: I mean pretty much when you look at overall he is he is an above average defensive catcher based off of those metrics, and I mean the offensive stats. Yeah, the percentiles don't look pretty there, but I mean in his last fifteen games, he's hitting the ball well, and even.
Speaker 1: Without that, he's a better hitter than Henry Davis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yes, after this hot streak, now he's up to six sixty nine almost like that seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So right, so when you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, so when you're considering what you have here, Henry Davis is always going to catch Paul Schemes. I think Henry Davis should always catch Bubba Chandler as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but for those other three guys, is Joey Bart is Joey Bart.
Speaker 2: Has Joey Bart done enough to get sixty percent of the starts where Henry Davis gets the forty.
Speaker 1: I'll start with Josh.
Speaker 5: Well, my first question to you is, right now, has Henry gotten sixty percent of starts or eighty?
Speaker 2: Henry's probably had more, I would say, yeah, just not even knowing that off.
Speaker 1: The top of my head. Henry. Yeah, Henry's the guy they want out there.
Speaker 2: I'll just say that they desperately want Henry to be the number one, but he just can't hit.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean, as I said in multiple episodes with other guys, you ride the hot hand, and obviously there's gonna come a threshold with that when you're weighing what you're gonna do in certain spots. And you've just said that he's not hurting you defensively, he's actually been rated above average, So right there, the one thing you want away is like, Okay, a lot of times we're gonna trade defense for offensive vice versa. And not like he's sitting here tearing the cover off the ball. You know, but as you said, he's trending upward, and if his defense is also above average, I don't see anything wrong with giving it guy, you know, sixty percent of the bulk of the playing time, because at the end of the day we talked. He's doing the split in time and that's no different than anybody that's platooning or whatever. But I'm a firm believer that you don't really know until you give a guy that that opportunity, and not to say that he hasn't had the opportunity before, but you know, sometimes opportunities presents themselves again. And I'm a firm believer. And as you said, you know, he's he's been rated above average defensively, he's not hurting you. If he's trending upward with the bat, why not give that a shot? Because you know, any added offense of production is going to be, you know, just more fuel to the fire, especially you know, on a team that is struggling defensively. If it's not hurting you defensively, I think you give a shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I just looked up while Josh was talking there, Harry Davis has eighty at bats this year. Joey Bart has fifty eight at bats this year. So yeah, a little slight bumped towards Hillary. But the way Joey Bart's been playing, I think you gotta keep going with him and use that as extra motivation, you know, some healthy competition. Maybe light a fire under Henry's Davis's button, say you know, this is your job and you're it's slipping through your fingers right now to Joey Bart, a guy that we were saying, you know, wasn't looking that great for most of the season until these last fifteen games. So you know, maybe Henry Davis has been, you know, working really hard, as we alluded to it. Maybe he needed some days off just to work on things, get right, fix things behind the scenes. Maybe that's been part of it. But it seems like this is Joey Bart's job to lose as of now.
Speaker 1: I want to be real clear here before we wrap this segment up.
Speaker 2: I'm not advocating for Joey Bart to be like the primary number one guy, like he just hasn't done enough.
Speaker 5: Oh I understand, Yeah, yeh.
Speaker 2: Henry Davis is a much better defensive catcher than Joey Bart. And one thing that you don't really have a metric for is like game calling. Henry Davis calls a far better game than Joey Bart. Like, I guess the way you measure that metric is you look at the pitching staffs e RA. When Joey Bart's behind the plate and look at it when Henry Davis is behind the plate and pretty obvious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there's a lot that goes into it too, you know, catcher relationship. Catcher also been on the same page, Like sometimes guys are just on different pages. And it's like, I think that's what he wants to throw, and you know, guys like I guess I'll throw it where you know, certain guys they know and it's just as you said, go ahead.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing with Henry is Henry has been a minor league catcher while Paul Skeins was in Triple A. He's been a minor league catcher for Bubba Chandler's development, especially in Triple A. Braxton Ashcraft, him and he have played together in the minor leagues, and same for Karvin Machinski.
Speaker 1: So four of their starting five.
Speaker 2: Pitchers familiar thrown to this guy before they tasted the major leagues. So there is a benefit to that. Now again, you gotta play Bart somehow, but like that's why I say keep him with schemes because you don't mess. Yeah, And then I think, I I mean, I think you look at what Bubba did Sunday one walk.
Speaker 1: Henry Davis was a starting catcher Sunday. So I look at that.
Speaker 2: I think, keep Bubba and Henry together, keep Paul and Henry together, and then you can use Braxton as kind of like your buffer, or maybe the Carmen start as your buffer, because it's a bullpen game sometimes. But yeah, Joey Bart should catch Mitch Keller and the other two starts right now, just because he's given you offense.
Speaker 1: And this isn't necessarily a team that needs to trade more defense for offense. They kind of done that way too much already. But I mean, you can't.
Speaker 2: You can't start a guy three times a week who's hitting under one sixty.
Speaker 1: It's just that's just not acceptable.
Speaker 2: Unless if you're like Austin Hedges level good defensively, which Henry's just not there right now. So any final thoughts here before we take a little break for another ad.
Speaker 1: Nope, all right, well let's do it then.
Speaker 4: Cratzy, real simple man. When you're looking for the best seats available, where are you headed?
Speaker 6: Big dog seekeeek super easy, because they give us everything you need. You can look at all that, you can look at where you're going to be sitting. I gotta sit at a certain spot. I want to be able to see a whole field. I don't need to be close to the field, gotta be a little higher out of the sun. I'm bougie that way, of course you are.
Speaker 4: And guess what. You have a big family, and so do I. So you have to decide right away. You gotta do something quick. This is real simple, it's affordable, and it's fantastic for a big family like yours and mine to get seats available as soon as possible. Well, now, yeah, you need a code. I got that for you too. You can use code territory ten for ten percent off your next set of tickets at seat Geek. That's ten percent of any tickets with promo code territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later. With over thirty five million download, seat geek is the number one rated ticketing app.
Speaker 5: Thank you, seat Geek.
Speaker 1: All right, Platinum's Platinum Keys Key of the Week. What he got for us? Mark?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so highlighting. We kind of talked a little bit about Bubba's control looking improved and got me thinking I wanted to highlight Mason Montgomery as my Key of the Week this upcoming week. He has been really, really solid as of late coming out of the bullpen. His ERA this year is down to two point eight seven after fifteen point two innings. He only has eight walks. In the offseason when the Pirates acquired and we're like, this guy has nasty stuff if he can keep it in the zone, and he has kept it in the zone and done that wall striking out batters as well. He has twenty three strikeouts compared to those eight walks. That's a ninety seventh percentile strikeout rate in MLB, So just striking guys out more than anyone, getting a lot of whiffs as well, missing the bat constantly ninety first percentile whiff rate, and doing it while just throwing absolute gas as a lefty, ninety seventh percentile in fastball velocity there as well. So he's got five holds. Just really been a bright spot in a Pirates bullpen that's gotten beat up in the last few games when he's come in, he's really stepped up. He pitched one point two innings in Sunday's game, came in and really was that stopper that the pirates needed when I think he came in with the bases loaded, possibly after mats and loaded them head runners on either way. So just really impressive stuff from Mason Montgomery this year. No, what's that light bulb that just went off above your head?
Speaker 2: There, we've got some breaking news. Seth Hernandez promoted to Hya Greensboro.
Speaker 7: No way, relaxed. Hey, you know we're just talking last time. Yeah, hold on, let me run breaking news. Yeah, I knocked my Yeah, I love it that.
Speaker 2: I was just getting I was getting some texts about it. I did not break that for the record, I mean I had someone text me about it. But Chase Ford with the scoop, so shout out to him. He actually breaks a lot of minly call ups. A good young reporter. But yeah, yes, congrats, uh, Seth Hernandez. But back to what you were saying, Sorry about that. I was listening, but I was seeing if anyone else had that. But yeah, so Mason, I'll just say this, he picked the right time for it to click, because is Yeah, most of his bullpen's really going through it right now.
Speaker 1: I mean Johan Man, Johan is like.
Speaker 2: Riding a roll toaster without ament's it's gonna be an awesome ride, but it's you might die. Matt Mattson is struggling right now. I mean, justin Lawrence is hasn't looked good all year. Dennis Antanas kind of getting his groove back. I mean, Soto's a beast, but yeah, Montgomery is, He's clicking right when they need him to click.
Speaker 1: He's been excellent.
Speaker 5: I mean, just to add to that, I mean, definitely with the bullpen been a sore spot obviously. You know you said Soto has been nails. It's nice to see Montgomery because I do remember when he was acquired. You know, the question marks of you know, the control and you know the strikeout the walk ratio is something that's really big because you know, coming out of the pen, you know you got to pound the zone man, and that's one thing that you know they preached these guys. You know, you have one inning, maybe two innings, but like you know, you can make an inning or outing a lot worse than what it could, you know, be if you are not in the zone. You know, because you know, leadoff walks, especially out the pen, are something that are really big. And you know, as he's limiting those things, I think that's big, especially for a young guy. You know, you you mentioned not very much big league team time right before this year, just brief last year. Yeah, so so so I mean for him to be a young guy coming out of the pen, especially in the pen as as I said, been kind of a sore spot, that's pretty cool. And uh just that's nice to see because when the bullpen is struggling, you need to have some guys that you can can count on. And you know, just that's two lefties too to go along. So that's that's a nice compliment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially with a rotation full of ladies to have that kind of production and now your lefties is great. And also, I mean, what a trade this Mike Burrow's trade is looking to be with the impact brandual. I mean, even if you only get one season of Brandon Low if he ends up walking in free agency, I mean, this trade still looks phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Dude. Yeah, Like.
Speaker 2: You could have Mangham and Montgomery for Burrows for what Burrows is looking like right now. Like I would have considered that deal. I don't know if I would have went through with it, but like you know, it was worth considering because, like Mangham was the type of guy they were hoping to get at the deadline last year and didn't. And Montgomery's I mean, and you're gonna have both of them as long as you would have had Burrows anyway.
Speaker 3: And they feel the rules that were gaping holes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way more of a need. So yeah, what a trade that was? All right, guys? Any final thoughts before we wrap.
Speaker 5: It up, I would say Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Mom. Yeah, my mom is not listening to this, no chance, but I do got to give her a shout out. Going to baseball games since my mom was some of the best memories of my childhood and she drove me to a million baseball games and sat there and cheered me on even though she was a track coach, and I broke her heart that I chose baseball over track. So shout out to my mom, shout out to my grandma's. Shout out to all the moms out there. We couldn't We wouldn't be here without you literally figuratively, so big thank you to all. And if you love your mom or if you are a mom, or if you know a mom, hit that subscribe button because we are on a mission to three thousand subs. And if you love your mom and you forgot her, forgot to get her something on Mother's Day, head on over to.
Speaker 1: The Bucko Territory Team store.
Speaker 2: I can't promise it will be here, you know, on Tuesday, but it'll be here before next Mother's Day. And she would love that jim bag. You know, yeah, she would love that coffee. But whose mom doesn't love a nice pot of coffee in the morning or a nice hat. You know, she wakes up drinking her coffee wearing her hat.
Speaker 1: For her hair is done. It would be great. So do all of that. Shout out to the moms.
Speaker 5: Shout out yes the moms.
Speaker 1: For Platinum Key, A K. A. Mark and Josh Harrison.
Speaker 2: I'm Noah Haile, signing off saying thanks for tuning in to another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 1: Take care