Speaker 1: What's up, everybody, Welcome back to the podcast. On this podcast, I answer your questions you email me podcast at grangersmith dot com, and we walk through it like we're just having a conversation, and the conversation could really be about anything, life, love, the Bible. Ask me anything, and I'm going to answer it like we're friends and we're trying to talk through something. That's always what this podcast has been and what I'm doing now for the second week in a row is I'm taking a collection of the most popular questions that gets asked on this podcast all of the time. Instead of answering them individually over and over again, I'm gonna for the second like last week was Eschatology, it was like the End of Times. I get that. I get asked that all the time, so I thought I would just react to a few videos and give you my thoughts on the end of Times. This week, I'm gonna do something similar. I'm going to answer a question that comes in all the time, and that is should Christians cuss? I get that quite a bit, and I think probably that there's a good reason I get that quite a bit, and probably because if you go back over the last decade or more two decades of my music, you hear curse words in there, and it's like, hey, Granger, now here you are all into the Bible, is it okay for Christians to cuss or to listen to songs with curse words in them? So, you know what, I think that's a great question, And because I get it all the time, I'm probably not going to answer every individual one because they're all pretty much just like I just said. So instead, let's use this episode and let's walk through that question. And ant Man has now put together a few videos. I think we have two videos here, so I'll start with this. I'll watch these videos a little bit, pause, react, and use that as kind of a platform to discuss this topic with and then I'll give you my own opinion after we walk through these videos. So this is the first one. Let's hit play.
Speaker 2: I actually I have a question for you, and I'm just really curious your opinion on it. What do you think about cussing? Yeah, but it'll take on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the reason why it doesn't affect my heart too much is because I know my God doesn't judge like swearing like that, and it minds you like yes, I do.
Speaker 3: I have to change now. Okay, let me rephrase this.
Speaker 4: I have to change now because God put me in a place for me to be speaking, and I'm realizing that I have to be better and more diligent with my tongue because if I'm not that, I'm showing that I'm not disciplined. Therefore, it gives room for the devil to come and just move my tongue in his direction.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pause here and I'm just gonna say that I will definitely address this idea of God judging or other people judging. Well, we'll deal with that. But I'm gonna I'm gonna wait a little bit longer. I'll keep seeing what He's got to say here.
Speaker 3: So, yes, I have to be obedient on the tongue.
Speaker 4: Now when I swear, if I say, I'll just say if I say both like to me, I don't see my God looking at me in the same way that other people think my God is looking at me. Because in the scripture says do not curse your neighbor. Now, cursing isn't like like F this, f that, because an effort here can mean something in a different language. Right, it's your intent on how you're using it. I think there's a difference even with my own child. If I'm looking at my child and he stubs his toe as like a four year old, oh like that to me, I'm laughing like, oh, like, you shouldn't say that, versus my son out in the street being like I'm gonna few up and I'm gonna blah blah blah somebody.
Speaker 3: I'm like, whoa, that's gonna come with some repercussions. My man, Like, you can't talk like that.
Speaker 1: So I think, let me stop it right here. So what we're going to deal with eventually on this on this episode as well, is that there's like sliver, there's a sliver of agreement I have with him here, and that is that Jesus is looking on the heart. In fact, that's when he comes in and we see this profound sermon on the Mount that we read in Matthew, and when he starts, he starts talking to the Pharisees and the religious people, and what he's doing is he's saying, you think you're following the law, and you think you're doing good by following the law. For instance, you think you're doing good by not murdering somebody. But did you know that you hate your brother and your heart and you're murdering them. You think you're doing good bye, not committing adultery. But did you know that you just look at a woman with lust and you've committed adultery in the heart. So Jesus is always after the heart, and he's always saying, look, it's not what you do, it's your heart posture towards it. So the reason Jesus was doing this is to point out that we are a lot more sinful, that we are a lot worse off than we think we are on the outside just because we act a certain way. Look how good I am looking. I'm doing all the right things, I'm checking all the boxes. And Jesus goes, uh, it's a lot worse than you think. I'm looking at the heart. So in relation to this, there's there's a sliver of truth in here that if I, for instance, if I go up to a guy in Russia, right, and I write out a four letter bad word in English and I say, read this, and he's like he doesn't know what it means, and he reads it. Oh, it's not like, oh that's that's horrible. You just said that word. Obviously he has no idea what the means. So his heart posture is completely clean in that instance. But but what this guy's saying, what George is saying, is a little different than at he's actually saying the words and saying there's a different context of saying the words. Let's keep going here.
Speaker 3: Saying is like, where's your intent with it? Like if like, for example, if I'm talking to.
Speaker 4: Some new Christians and they don't really get God, and I'm talking to them about being perfect, and now I'm watching them tune out. But then I go, but listen, it's locking hard. And then they go, wait, what You're like me, Oh, so you're not holier than that. You're not perfect obviously now because you're swearing. Sometimes I use it as a relatability, like I speak in their language. It's hard to talk to somebody if you can't understand them, and so I wasn't really too quick to fix my tongue.
Speaker 1: I don't think that that's necessary. And if he's truly saying like I'm doing whatever it takes to be relatable, I don't think that's what he means. I think he's just trying to be cool and fit in. And he might have a good intention of why he wants to fit in. But I think the better argument is if you are. If you are so you're so zealous for your God, and you're so obedient and yet joyful and yet happy and yet understanding, and I think that's a better way to be relatable. Then Man, I'm just like a God, just like one of you guys, and I also got this god thing going on. I don't think that's as inspiring as he thinks it might be.
Speaker 4: Let's continue here, because I tell people all the time they look at me as a preacher.
Speaker 3: I ain't no preacher, did I'm a man who fears God and loves to talk.
Speaker 1: Yes, you are. If you're speaking on a platform, you're a preacher.
Speaker 3: If you have a massive platform, yeah, if it takes you in the direction of that, then that's great.
Speaker 4: But to me, it's like my heart was like, I like talking to people that don't know who God is at all and like bringing them. I'm trying to be a fisher of men, right, And I might talk like a sailorman.
Speaker 1: And that's don't do that. I wouldn't go there. That's like a silly cultural analogy. Fishermen and sailors. You know, they're both on water, and they should both be able to cuss, right, Like I wouldn't go there swear.
Speaker 3: Like if you listen to any sailor, they're like, oh, he cusses like a sailor. Like this, This is the men that Jesus chose. Like you think Peter was walking around with no filthy mouth like he was.
Speaker 4: It took him a bit. We don't know that to like rein it in and be disciplined. I'm thirty one years old and I just started. I guarantee you, when I'm like forty, I'm probably not gonna be talking the same way that I'm talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an interesting argument. He realizes it's probably not helpful, it's probably not encouraging, it's probably not uplifting. But I still got to get it out of my system for the next ten years or so, and then it'll probably be totally out of my system. He knows the argument that he's making, so he's already kind of feeling a change. He's already kind of feeling a tug, and no one's even talked to him about it. He's convincing himself already. This is interesting. Let's keep going.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make me toss and turn out night. There's a lot of things that make me toss and turn at night. That's just, honestly, just not one of them from your now.
Speaker 5: We used to make fun of the Christians.
Speaker 2: We did, we made fun of We didn't come to a whole.
Speaker 6: Year than now Christian This we truly can't even say it.
Speaker 2: It's been probably I don't know how long that I can't get an effort out of my mouth. It physically can't come out of my mouth.
Speaker 4: And you know what, like she said something that made it's gonna my wheels are going like crazy, let's go. When you said it made me cringe, I never really pictured making anybody cringe from my mouth. And if I'm talking about God and I make them cringe, that's a problem.
Speaker 2: I think of the scripture. Sorry, I just I think of the scripture that's set.
Speaker 1: So look at his face. Look at his face right here where I paused it. I love how he said the wheels are turning. And this is very interesting to watch as he is I kind of recognized that as he's kind of explaining his best way to justify while he why he does speak like a sailor, like you said, and then as that his own personal justification starts to kind of crumble a little bit. Look at his face, and I want to see where this goes.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, well, I just want to tell you one scripture. It's I think it's in James. It's like, can fresh water and salt water both flow out of the same spring? How can you love God and curse anybody with the same mouth.
Speaker 4: I saw that as cursing a man, though even my own enemies they don't even know, but I plant them flowers in their fields rights justifying here.
Speaker 2: So I was reading, so you know the moment where Peter denies Jesus three times? Right, yeah, and I can I can pull it up because I'm paraphrasing, but it says something so three times people come up to him, do you know Jesus, you were just with him? I saw you with him. You're you're a Jew, like you have to be with him? And he says three times, no, I don't know him, No, I don't know him. The third time he it says that he curses and says, I do not know this man. So in the moment where he was trying to separate himself from Jesus and no longer identify as a follower of Jesus. He cursed, he used some sort of foul language, and that's what really got me, and saying, when I do use foul language, as annoying as it is, when I do, I'm separating myself from the character of Jesus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how I I want to catch his face again, and I don't want.
Speaker 2: I didn't want this to happen to me. Or okay, you know what, I'm singing along to songs and I am a loser. I'm skipping over the other.
Speaker 1: I will do that version now. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: But I was feeling this separation from God when I was living in sin, when I was, you know, sexually active before marriage.
Speaker 1: When I I want to notice too that what they're talking about is not just speaking curse words. They're also talking about listening to it or hearing it or watching it in a movie, listening to it in a song. But I'm very interested, probably more than the conversation it sol if. I'm more interested in George and how he is reacting to it. And I think we should all watch and see what is working inside of George right now, that's the guy with the beanie cap. What is happening to him? It's interesting. Let's keep watching, and I'm gonna try to get past these girls talking here. Let's go back to here.
Speaker 4: Is did you guys talk about my swearing behind closed doors? Is that something that you guys wanted to fix on me?
Speaker 1: Not fix on you?
Speaker 3: But I did notice that. I didn't notice that. Is it something that challenged you guys when you guys heard my stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: We didn't talk about it as if we were going to bring it up at all, but we were watching like some clips together and we I noticed that, like you cuss on the podcast, and you know what's funny is our first episode. I'm pretty sure we set a couple of customers. We did. Actually, I know on the second one, I spelt out a cuss word as it because I just didn't We weren't living, you know what I mean. We didn't know and honestly, we didn't really care yet.
Speaker 3: And no we didn't say, oh, let's bring this up. But I did notice that, and because I was like that, that's what we did. So I was just you know, I make a vow that today's the last day I swear. Yeah, I challenge I'm probably gonna mess up a lot.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna go get a band and write it on my hand every day until I fly master it.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay. So that that's what I thought. This was that this is where I thought this was leading, and I was hoping he was gonna do that. So what we've witnessed here and I'm gonna try to find a spot I could pause on his face because I like his face. There we go. So what we're seeing, And to be honest, I haven't followed this guy, George Jenko. I think it's his name. This is the first video I've seen from him. But but I'll tell you why. I know he's a brother and it's a beautiful thing because what's happening to him is repentance. And a lot of times we Christians talk about repentance. In the Bible commands repentance. It's necessary, it could repentance is necessary as a human response to the saving grace of God. And so what's happened with George is he's defending it and and he he's saying he's giving reasons while he why he thinks that cussing or using a foul mouth is beneficial in his quote unquote ministry because it's helping to relate and God, God's looking at the heart, not at the words. And but as these girls unpack a pretty good defense for keeping a clean mouth, we'll call it that term, he starts to break down, and it's actually visible on this video, and it's it's really neat to see because we're watching in real time on this video, repentance as it's happening. And then the way I know he's a brother, and the way you know Christ is in this man and the Holy Spirit is working in him as far as we can tell from one video. But but but humans don't do this. This is not normal for a human. And I believe this is his show. I believe this is his podcast. So it would be like someone coming on my podcast and challenging me was something that I had just made my own defense for so that I could keep up with what I'm defending that I think is right, and someone that's a guest challenging me, and humans don't do well in this kind of situation, especially on our own platforms. In front of our own people. We don't do well, we are pride kicks in and all the defenses go up and we go, man, this is something we're all. You got, your thing I got. Don't be holier than me, don't come judging me on my show. You know this is And even if you don't say it out loud, that's what you're thinking. And you could see that through body language. That's not what's happening to this guy, George. His body language goes into submission. He starts look at his face right here on the screenshot. His eyes are turned. He's thinking, he's in deep thought and he's backpedaling and he's turning away. He's changing his mind. Literally, you could see repentance in his face right here. He's changing his mind about sin and turning instead to God. And by the end of this video he says, I'm making a vow right now. Then I'm gonna stop gussing. Oh man, it gives me chills. It's a beautiful thing. And then he goes on to say, correctly, I'm gonna mess up, but I don't want to do this anymore. It's basically what he's saying. And so it's the direction. It's not the achievement, it's not the destination of where we're going to defeat sin. Instead, it's a change of course. It's a change of direction away from ourselves and our pride and our sin and changing course. As if you're in a boat and you're completely changing the boat and you're turning all the way, you're turning the stern all around and you're going the other way, and you're going Listen, I know I'm going to have a tendency to turn back to the old way again, but I don't want to go that way anymore. I want to go this way. I want to go God's way. And as he was rebuked by these other Christians, that's the decision he makes, and that is repentance and it is beautiful. And so even though we're not even talking about cussing at this point, I think that that that's a beautiful illustration of repentance. And I also think the idea the conclusion about cussing is correct. Let's jump into another video and then i'll give you my thoughts about this. So a long time ago, whenever I started grangersmith dot com, I think the furthest thing from my mind was one day I would be selling things online in an online store like YEEE apparel. That was the furthest thing from my mind. But as things evolved, and you know, things started progressing in my career, I started selling T shirts and hats and boozies and music, and that eventually led to ee apparel and everything became easy when we started using Shopify. Now, what is Shopify? Shopify is the global commerce platform that helps you sell at every stage of your business, from the very beginning to your peak. Whether you're just selling like scented soaps or outdoor apparel like eee. Shopify helps you sell everywhere, from their all in one e commerce platform to their in person POS system. Wherever or whatever you're selling, Shopify's got you covered. They also helped turn your browsers into buyers, with the internet's best converting checkout thirty six percent better on average compared to the other leading commerce platforms, so you could sell more with less effort thanks to shopify Magic, your AI powered all star. I'm just not a tech savvy person and the last thing I really want to do is just to start figuring out how to set up an online store so that people could buy a T shirt from us. Thankfully, that's where Shopify comes in and takes over that aspect of our business and just makes it super easy. And it's not just us though, Shopify powers ten percent of all e commerce in the entire US. They're also in one hundred and seventy five different countries. Plus Shopify's award winning help is there to support your success every step of the way because businesses that grow grow with Shopify. Sign up for a one dollar per month trial period at shopify dot com slash granger all lowercase. Go to shopify dot com slash granger now to grow your business. No matter what stage you're in shopify dot com slash granger. You know, if you want to get a hold of me sometime, maybe have me make a video for your significant other or for your sibling or your child, or your cousin or your friend. I could do that right here on my phone and make a video for them. If you go to Cameo dot com slash granger Smith, I could do that right now. Again, that is Cameo c am Eo dot com slash granger Smith. Okay, this next video that ant Man found, this is going to that that first one was just kind of a general idea about cussing itself. Now this one is going to dive deeper into what is cussing. In fact that the title of this that Antman put is the hypocrisy of cussing. What does that even mean? We're talking about how this flow, this all flows from the heart. And then I'm going to give you I have a few notes here on my phone. I'm going to read you my thoughts that I wrote down. Well, I just wrote down some verses, so we'll discuss after we check out this video.
Speaker 5: And I do think you can cuss somebody out without using cuss words. I do think you can curse somebody without using cuss words.
Speaker 6: Like I had this conversation with my mom a little while ago and I was like, Yo, if which one of these things?
Speaker 3: And as a matter of fact, this is a question, this is a question. What do you think about this?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 6: You have two different sentences. You have someone that goes if I were to if I were to look at my brother and say you're an idiot and you're never going to.
Speaker 5: Be anything in life, that's awful.
Speaker 6: That versus if I looked at my brother and said I love you so, and there's a two part there's a two part questions. Okay, so which one of those?
Speaker 3: Do you think?
Speaker 1: The video skipped just a little bit, But he said, what's the difference? What is better telling your brother you're an idiot and I don't like you basically, or I love you so effing much, but actually using the word that's his point here.
Speaker 3: God would be like, yeah, absolutely not.
Speaker 5: I don't think God would co sign either statement.
Speaker 6: Right right, watch if do you think your answer would be the same if I said it was you're an idiot and you're never going to be anything in life, or I love you so freaking much, dude? I think that The conversation then becomes, so does God have an issue with the heart or spelling?
Speaker 1: Okay, so now he's making the argument for instead of the actual F word, what about freaking? Like could you say I love you so freaking much and that way you're you're avoiding the actual F word and you've replaced it with something else. Is that? Okay?
Speaker 6: That's that's his question, because freaking means the same thing as the other word does, but it doesn't have the same impact. It doesn't have the same impact.
Speaker 5: And sometimes sometimes and this is hard. This is hard because it's not fair. Sometimes you are judged by your impact and not your intent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the reason I'm the only reason I'm pushing back is because the Church, like Christians, we have these filler words that don't actually have any meaning except for to be the filler word for a cuss word. So that means maybe we should stop saying those words too, though that is my exact point. So my point is that, Yo, if we're either about to wipe the whole board, let's get rid of heck, dang, frick, let's get let's get rid of crap, let's get let's do let's take it all out or green light all of it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I still think some things are just gonna be felt different, like something.
Speaker 1: And like I said, okay, So he's making the argument that if we're going to have words that replace the actual cuss words, is it okay to say them because they have less of an impact. So that this is the discussion, is is it the actual word? Kind of like kind of like I said earlier, if if I wrote out a four letter word and gave it to a Russian guy and he spoke it, and he had no idea what it meant. That would what would that mean for him? Would it would he be sinning in that? Of course? Not like I said with Sermon on the Mountain, Jesus is getting to the heart. Jesus did this through his through his entire ministry. He wanted the heart. He was dealing with the heart. And from the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks, Jesus says. And so as you speak, you're speaking the overflow of what's in your heart. If you want to get to know someone, listen to them speak. If you want to know the heart of a man or a woman, stay around long enough and listen to them speak, and you will hear the overflow of their heart. That's what Jesus means by that. And I think that's the argument that these guys are making in this video.
Speaker 6: Say, this is just a lot of it just for to go and think about and have you actually think about the way that you consider people, because I know people that would say things like, if you cuss, you're not a Christian.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 6: That's a say statement, because that's the.
Speaker 1: Part we need to discuss as well. For someone to say if you cuss, you're not a Christian. Guess what it's Without me even getting into that, the previous video made a great point on that. The guy George Jenko, I think, I don't know, but I think that he is a brother, he is a Christian, and he was cussing at the beginning of the video and then by the end of it he was not. So it would not be a fair judgment at all to say because of what you say, I could judge you today and tell you whether you are or not a Christian. That's a different discussion, but I think the argument could be made already that that first video proved that wrong.
Speaker 6: You cuss by God's standards, You cuss all day long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a tricky one, man, because it's deemed what's appropriate by a society. You know, what I'm saying is deemed what's appropriate in different times in space. Different words were more appropriate different times of space, and like, like here's an example, did you know that, like spaz is considered derogatory to specific people that have that's a rest. It's another one.
Speaker 1: But like in the UK, like you can't like spaz is not.
Speaker 5: Appropriate, and that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: So it's like there's it's just yeah, just a lot.
Speaker 6: That's another thing that that I think plays into it is like here certain words are cuss words, somewhere else they're not.
Speaker 1: And so then Okay, I don't know where this this video is necessarily going, and I don't know if I actually need more AMMO to make this argument because now they're getting into once again the heart of the matter. Where is your heart in the situation. That's what Jesus wants to know. So first we should address the idea of of people that the holier than now idea like, oh, you're just being holier than what is that? What does that phrase? Holier than hold it than thou? Holier than thou? That's what people say, Oh you're holier than thou. That's what the last video is said too. And so it's it's it's just critical. It's critical for us to know that we are saved by grace through faith. This is not our own doing. This is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no man may boast Ephesians to eight to nine. And it's it's critical to understand that there is nothing we do or don't do that saves us. So uh, Stopping cussing will not make you a Christian. Stopping stop stealing that will not make you a Christian. Stop committing adultery that will not make you a Christian. We have to understand that this idea of being a good person makes you a Christian, or that being a good person gets you an invitation to heaven is absolute heresy, and it's completely wrong. It's never been taught that way, although it is, it's you know, continued to be some kind of heresy that makes its way into teaching, if not just subliminably, sublimably through our minds and through our teaching, and through our understanding and through our living. So if you were to ask the average person on the street, how do you get into heaven? A common answer is I don't know. You've got to be a good person. Well, the Bible is very clear. First of all, that no one is good, no not even one, Isaiah says, through the inspiration of God. And then Paul will say that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God Romans three twenty three. So no one is good, and all have sinned and fall short of His glory, all have fallen short of our invitation to heaven, it's not happening. We've already messed that up. So whether or not you cuss or not, or you cuss a lot or a little, or a medium of mount or none, none of that has anything to do with your right standing with God. The only way you have right standing with God is through Jesus, through his final work, has finished work on the cross as a substitution for the crime punishment that you deserved right and in exchange you are seen righteous, in exchange for your faith in Him, your belief in Him and your repentance. Like we saw from George in the last video, is that you turn away from yourself. You go to God and you go God, I can't I can't do it. I'm turning away from myself and I'm changing my course to you, saying I trust you and what you have done because I have fallen short, have mercy on me a sinner. That's the only standing we have with him is what Jesus did for us, God the Sun incarnate in flesh, coming into this world for humanity to suffer in it, in the humanity that he created, which is just wild, to come and suffer in it, so that we could be reconciled back to God, who we broke our relationship with through our own sin. So all of that is the truth, and this cussing thing is irrelevant to that. So to be able to say, I know he's a Christian or not because of what he says is wrong, but it could be an indication of of a heart that is still corrupted, if that makes sense, because out of the abundance of the heart and the mouth speaks. So you can see indications of a healthy tree by its fruit. And if a tree has bad fruit, then you can go okay, this tree might need to be completely torn down, burned and replanted, right, which is what God does with us through conversion. We become a new creation, a new tree that now bears good fruit instead of bad fruit. So you can make an argument that you can get a lot of information from someone and how they speak, but that's not what we're talking about either. We're talking about is it okay for Christians to cuss? I think that's the topic at hand, And I want to go for an answer for answers to this. I want to go straight to the Bible itself, and I pulled up I made some notes here and so I just want to go through a couple of vers and do just some light commentary on them. And some of the stuff was already talked about in the in the previous video Ephesians four twenty nine. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may be beneficial, that it may benefit those who listen. So that George was making the argument, well, yeah, this is building them up because I'm I'm relating to them. Okay, well then let's go to Colossans three eight. But now you must also rid yourself of all of these, of all such things as these anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. So now George has already lost his argument to Colossians three eight. James three ten. I believe that was mentioned in this video out of the or the play previous video out of the same mouth, come and praise and cursing my brothers and sisters. This should not be Proverbs eighteen twenty one. The tongue has the power of death, the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Matthew twelve, thirty six and thirty seven. But I tell you that everyone will have to give an account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words, you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Well, that is very interesting, and we have to also remember that we're saved by grace through faith, So you will be judged by everything that you do, and the only way you'll be set free is if your righteousness is found in Jesus through your faith in Him, and not on your own. So you're in deep trouble if you're out on your own trying to hope you're going to get into heaven, because Jesus is saying you're already condemned. Five to four says nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or course talking which is out of place, but rather thanksgiving. So he's encouraging Christians already converted already have they already have the ability to repent like George did. And what happens is when you these verses are taking in somebody that's already a Christian and it's encouraging them to walk in the light. Basically, and you can't tell a non believer this because they don't have that ability to walk. Instead, they need the Gospel so that they could that tree, that that that they are could be torn down and thrown into the fire and reborn into a new tree that now is is capable of bearing good fruit through the work of Jesus, through the ability that they now have empowered by Jesus. So those Christians that we're talking about, that's why that is so important. So Christians now have the ability to hear this, to hear Ephesians five to four, and go, ah, man, my wheels are turned kind of like George said, Man, I feel that I've been I've been messing. I've been doing that course joking. I've been doing that fool whish talk thing. I gotta change Proverbs fifteen to one. A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Colossians four to six. Let your conversation always be full of grace, season with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. One Peter three ten. For whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech Saw nineteen fourteen. May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Yeah, that's really good stuff. And once again these are when Christians hear these, it should It's I've said this before in a message. It's like it's like a when you you become a butterfly. If you're a caterpillar, right and you cut your you've become a brand new butterfly. And other butterflies more wise, mature butterflies come up to you and you go, they say to the to the young butterfly, the old ones say, hey, man, you know you don't have to be walking around with these caterpillars eating these leaves anymore. There's something way better. It's called nectar, and it's over there on the other side of the garden. And then the butter the new butterflies like, well, how am I supposed to get to the other side, And the older butterfly says, you see those things you got on your on your sides, Now those legs, those are wings. You can fly, you know. So sometimes it takes for a new Christian or or a Christian that just hasn't been well discipled to hear these these words from a more wise Christian and words from the Bible like this that rebuke them. They go, oh, I can fly. It's a beautiful thing. So here's another thing we've been talking about. Should you say darn or heck or dang it? Here's another one. Listen to this, Dad gummet, and you've probably heard me say, Dad gummy, that's what my dad said all the time, Dad Gummet. What does that mean? Where did that come from? Well? I was thinking about this today before the podcast. Take the D and the G and swap them, and now'll say it and see what that comes out to be. You could see what that replaced, Dad Gummet, Switch the D and the G and see what it replaced. So it's the same heart position. You're saying the same thing. Jesus says this in Matthew five thirty seven. Simply let your yes be yes and your no be no. Anything beyond this comes from the evil one. So like this guy on this video was making this argument, if you're going to tell your brother I love you so freaking much, let your yes be yes and your no be no. Let that be enough. You don't have to exaggerate anything, right, So the heart position matters, and I think the darns and the dang its and the dad gummants actually do matter. And this is this is personal sanctification. For anyone listening that says that and they're a Christian, don't think I'm telling you you're condemned or you're not a Christian, or you're in you're in sin. I'm saying that as a rebuke, and it's something to think about. From the overflow of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. I think these are things that if you hear it a certain way, and you hear me saying this, you might like me say, oh, maybe I shouldn't say any of it for the tenth time on this podcast. Not because you're earning righteousness or because you're obtaining your own salvation from what you do or say that's already a gift from God as you turn from your sin and put your faith in Jesus in his work on the cross. I'll say that again, but because of the abundance of the heart, when Jesus is in your heart and you're filled with the Holy Spirit, and you just want. You want so badly just to just to show everyone your love for Jesus because of the way he loved you first, in the abundance of that, in the overflow of that, kind of like you take that mentos and you drop it in a coke and the coat just over it flows. It's like that from that overflow, you go, Lord, I want to do all these things. I don't want to say anything that might be hurtful or discouraging to someone. I only want to be someone that's uplifting to others. I only want to be loving to others. And so I want to I want to watch my tongue. I want to keep it from becoming evil. I want to I want to make sure that everything is clean coming out of my mouth.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So that's that might be when you hear this video where you end up and then I love I love that the girl and that one video brought up this Matthew twenty six seventy four talking about Peter as he's denying Jesus, it says then and he began to call down curses and swore to them. I don't know the man. Immediately the rooster crowed, I'm reading out of the n I V for that because I think it's an interesting it's an it's an interesting translation for that part. And and and I think those girls had a good point that in this instant, in this instance with Peter, as he's separating himself from Jesus, that's when he curses. It represents a separation. And so as you hear this, what I'm talking about this is this term is called sanctification. That's a churchy word, but this is the process of becoming more and more like Jesus as his spirit and dwells us. It starts to convict us in certain things. And people get convicted in different ways. For instance, I've got I've gotten convicted with with college football as I'm watching it and my emotions rage and my spirit pours out onto this game. And I've realized over the years, man, i think this is idolatry for me. I think I'm worshiping college football. I think that's becoming a sin for me, and I should probably back down. That's the conviction the Holy Spirit. No, I don't think a normal man would say that, but because of the conviction within me, the spirit goes, hey, watch yourself, watch yourself. And so when I say dad gummet, and I've said that for so I mean, my character Donnie says that it's like his thing, right, So when I say that now and my spirit goes, watch yourself. Not because I'm falling out of the faith, but hey, you're becoming more and more like Jesus. And in that process you're going to be reminded and convicted of certain things. And So to answer this question for people that have emailed me a thousand times saying Granger, where do you stand on this? Because you have songs that have cussing in them. And my answer to all of those people is that I am sorry, and you're right. And if I was going to make a song today, I wouldn't dare do that. I wouldn't dare put those words in those songs. And if you, I don't know if y'll notice, but the people that have gone to my concerts and they watched this whole thing happening to me, the sanctification was happening in real time on the stage in front of everybody. You might have noticed that that words like like city Boy stuck. I believe it is one of the ones that there's a lot of those songs where the word was hell, oh yeah. The word in City Boy Stuck was hell no, not me, and that started bothering me, and so it became heck no, not me. That's the best I could do. Now, the more I'm sanctified, I'm like, I don't even think heck. Heck isn't even right, because that's just replacing the word, and it's coming out of the same heart. So you probably noticed that there were a lot of words that changed, and there were songs that I ever sang, like damn Guitar. Never sang that song. I was just too convicted. I wrote the song a long time ago, and it was in the movie moon Rise without the words. Though you notice that as in the movie moon Rise without the words, and I never sang that song live, and I always it always bothered me. The song damn straight always bothered me. Not when I recorded it, obviously, but as I was sanctified more and more, as I gotten deeper into the word, and as the Holy Spirit was tugging at me in a lot of different things, conforming me, molding me. It's like I was when I was put into the fire, really starting with losing riv and then what happened to me later. As I was in the fire of this, the metal that I was, as corrupted and corroded as I was, was beginning to melt and melt and melt until it was just molten liquid metal. That's how far down I was melted. And when I reached that point of complete melted metal, that's when the Lord was able to start working. That's when the maker's hand takes that molten metal and makes it new, makes it, turns it into the refinement that it was always intended to be. And as that's happening, and as that refinement happens, it's not always it's not always fun. Sometimes it hurts a little bit. You're like, wait, why do I feel bad about saying darn it? That's weird. You know, you start thinking that you feel so out of place, and you're like, hang on a second. Maybe maybe I have I've been given the power through the Holy Spirit to change the way I talk. Maybe this is not a big as big a deal as I think I need to fit into culture by saying cultural things. Maybe it's not a big deal at all. And just like that guy George said, I'm gonna mess up a lot, But it's not the destination, it's the shift. It's the change of direction towards a new destination. That is the evidence of a believer of a Christian. So do Christians cuss? That's irrelevant and the answer is probably yes. But should Christians cuss? I believe that answer is no. And although I wouldn't put judgment on current Christians and say you shouldn't cuss, and I absolutely would not put that judgment on a non Christian, and I would never say that word offends me. I'm gonna listen to it and as someone's talking to me and they go, so sorry for the language, I'm gonna say, no, need to apologize. And in my mind, I'm thinking you don't have Jesus, so let me tell you the gospel. Don't apologize for your words. I understand. I'll give you grace for that. But for the Christian, if they ask me, I'm gonna say, brother, I don't think it is right, and I think you will be sanctified. And I think eventually, just like we saw in that video with George, I think true repentance is right around the corner.
Speaker 2: For you.
Speaker 1: Love you guys, If you again, if you have a question, email podcast at grangersmith dot com and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: GG.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining me on the granger Smith Podcast. I appreciate all of you guys. You could help me out by rating this podcast on iTunes. If you're on YouTube, subscribe to this channel, hit that little like button and notification spell so that you never miss anytime I upload a video. If you have a question for me that you would like me to answer, email Graingersmith Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Gig