Speaker 1: A team captain. Did that surprise you or with your reaction to that honor?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very honored, you know, to be able to be voted by my teammates and peers. Uh, you know, be able to be a captain on the team and and that you know my teammates. You know, I think that way of me. So I'm very honored by it, and uh, it means a lot to me.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it's something you were expecting or did it kind of catch you by surprise or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I wasn't really thinking about it. You know. I've just been trying to get better every day, come to practice, trying to push the guys around me and be ready for week one, and uh, that's really just where my mindset has been. So when we came in for a meeting and we had voted about stuff, I was like, shoot, you know, I sort of forgot about voting for captains and all that kind of stuff. And then once we came back a couple of days later and saw my name on the board, I was like, wow, Like what an honor? So yeah, well, how would you put.
Speaker 4: Into words what you've done in the past six months to get to this point where you were able to.
Speaker 3: Play in a season.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, I'm just so thankful, you know, to be able to go through what I've done, just in terms of the rehab, have all the help that I've had with you know, all the physical therapist, my surgeon, uh, the strength and conditioning staff and everyone here, medical staff, with the Niners, They've all played a huge role. And so it wasn't just me, and so I had a lot of help and I'm very thankful for everyone that I played a part in that. But yeah, it was a it was a somewhat of a long six months. But at the same time, it's like, man, you know, I felt like that Eagles game was just yesterday. So here we are getting ready for Game one, and I'm really excited about it.
Speaker 4: The loading week last week, did you did you feel a noticeable difference? How is it maybe helps you or how do you feel it this week?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was good last week to be able to you know, just sort of let the arm, you know, dload in terms of reps and Whatnotuh, just so it's fresh and one hundred percent ready to roll for the season and stuff. It's gonna be a long ride, uh, for the season, So it was, uh, it was all part of the plan and arm feels really good.
Speaker 1: So you talked about pushing players around you. What have you learned about pushing players in an environment where there's so many self motivated guys. I mean, how do you know what buttons to push or is that how you even approach it?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't feel like you have to come into this locker room and be a raw rock guy and tell guys and and you know, try a lot of fire under guys you know here, everyone you know knows what the job is, what the standard is. But I feel like once you get out in the field and you're practicing in the weight room, just the way you carry yourself and you're willing to like show the guys around you know that hey, like this guy, he wants to win. And so I feel like that is sort of like my my route of I guess motivation for the guys you know around me. But you know, we have such a older team and and a lot of guys with the experience and stuff. So to be able to come in just do your job, do it well, and then guys will respect that around you. So that's really you know, where my mindset has been with that, and and you know, I've learned guys obviously, like Fred Warner, George Kittle, Christian you know, how they go about their business and and makes me better and you know it makes everyone else better in our locker room.
Speaker 3: So last year was such a role win for you. I mean, once you got into the lineup, it was a game every week and sometimes a short week. What's it been like for you to just kind of hone in and I don't know how long you've focused on specifically facing the Steelers, but what's that process been like for you this season?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, honestly taking what I had learned last year, just in terms of how I prep for a game, what the week looks like. Obviously, I feel like it changed a little bit, as you know, from the beginning of the year all the way to the end. As I became the starter, I did a lot of a lot of similar things that I did as a backup that you know, allowed me to be ready for my opportunity. And so I've taken that and you know, applied it, you know, for for this year, you know, really starting in camp all the way up up until now and I'll continue to do it. So I feel like, you know, the co which is everyone around me has has a you know, just a great schedule and plan laid out, and I just gotta trust, you know, what they're trying to teach and show me and stuff, and then obviously I do what you know, I think is necessary for myself. So just trusting to trust in the process and you know, not changing, but just be myself.
Speaker 3: So what what stands out about the Steelers when you watch them on film? They obviously good players on all three levels of the What do you watch them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I feel like they you know, they play really hard for four quarters. You know, they're a team that I feel like, uh, you know last year they got really hot as a team. You know, they have this like fire that they play with, and you know, obviously it starts with their front, their backers, their secondary. They're just well coached and you know, when you watch the film, you know they there's just guys that pop out and you know it's like, man, we got to play four quarters really hard against this team, so it's gonna be it's gonna be a tough, tough opponent and we respect them, and you know they're gonna be a team that like that brings it every single play. There's no plays off I feel like from really anyone on their defense.
Speaker 1: So did you Did you meet Pickett at all during the whole rookie quarterback thing during whether it was Combine or any other place.
Speaker 2: At the combine? Yep, So he was. He was a great guy. Everyone loved being around him. I love being around him. You know. Obviously we haven't really hung out or anything much outside of that, but got to meet him a little bit there, and he's a great guy.
Speaker 4: Have you had any time and you look back at where you were last year and this year obviously preparing for the game, but have you had a moment of, well, come.
Speaker 1: Along with.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, you know, there's some some I guess moments where I'm able to sort of set back and be thankful for everything and whatnot. But at the same time, it's like, man, there's a lot in front of me that, you know, I'm trying to handle and prepare for, obviously with this game coming up, and then really this whole offseason has been about my arm, getting it right, getting healthy. So I'm just trying to take it one day at a time, and you know, not trying to get caught up in too much other stuff. But for me, it's you know, I want to win and were to play football and I love the game, and you know that's where I'm out in my life.
Speaker 5: So I like Menka Fitzpatrick six interceptions. It seems that he does some freelancing. He's he's obviously, Uh, somebody gets in a lot of throwing lenes.
Speaker 3: Is it. How difficult is it.
Speaker 5: To prepare for somebody that has that much responsibility and in such a you know, space eater on the back end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Yeah, he's all over the film, you know, just flying around obviously reading the quarterback's eyes like they give him a lot of freedom. I feel like to be himself and play and so definitely definitely respect him. But yeah, while watching it and stuff, it's like, man, we got to play our game. I got to play within you know, our scheme, not trying to get wrapped up in just one single guy. Because they have players all across the board, so it's not just him. We respect him everything that he does, Yes, but you know, I gotta just play the play, the play that coach calls and and do what we're, you know, trying to get accomplished throughout the game, every single drive, every single play. So definitely respect him what he does. But you know, there's there's ten other guys on the field to that are also really good.
Speaker 4: Patrick Peterson is predicted intercept you.
Speaker 2: No, he said that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if I can give you the quote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is.
Speaker 3: I'm fifty one.
Speaker 4: There are some tell signs out there that tells us what plays we're gonna get from these guys in certain situations. When I get my pick Sunday, we'll talk about it. I mean, like, I don't mean to freak you out here, but I mean, do you say that like, oh my gosh, yeah whatever, or you know, is that just kind of some pre dame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I don't really know what to say about that. I mean, he's a good player. Patrick Peterson is a great player. I grew up watching him and everything. I was obviously from Arizona. He played for the Cardinals and stuff. So yeah, it's the competitive nature, I guess of football. So we'll see