Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this Monday week trending episode of Yeah Yeah, I'm Jack O'Brien. That is mister Miles Gray. Yeah, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm good, baby. It was nice to see you and everybody in Herson. We were in Las Vegas over the weekend at NBA Summer League NBA con shout out step In and I believe Ali was your partner who you pulled UPO, Yeah, pulled up that the NBA. We're like, oh, okay, sir, good to see you anyway. Yeah, it was good to see people out there. It's good to be in Las Vegas. It's nice to feel that desert heat on my already very dry skin.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I have.
Speaker 3: My lips are fucked up already.
Speaker 1: I lost sleep from my lips being like cracking in my sleep. When I got back, I was like, what the fuck is this look.
Speaker 2: Of like, Oh, oh, your wife's like, hey, stop licking your lips like a baby with some chapstick on. That's what her majesty kept saying to me. It's like, stop licking your lips and just go put some whatever on.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I don't know why I was being.
Speaker 1: I never needed it now. Yeah, yeah, anyway, Yeah, there were a skin that had that like white Webby, like you know, ashiness over it. Oh yeah, you don't want that anyway, you do.
Speaker 3: That's what this show is about.
Speaker 1: Well, what this show is about is, uh, for first off, let's let's give some overrated, underrated. You want to kick off? You want me to kick off overrated?
Speaker 2: Yes, Victor Webbin Yama. I saw that first game. We saw that first game for this guy. This guy thinks he only had five blocks in that first game.
Speaker 3: I don't. I'm mixed.
Speaker 2: Like I said, you'll hear me say this. Many other blades I was expecting at least fifteen. I'm putting out his seconder. Yeah, I'm putting out his second performance already had a fantastic game of twenty seven points.
Speaker 3: Out of my mind.
Speaker 2: I'm just going off of just being a youre reactionary American sports fan who knows who's just does not really consider all the dynamics at work.
Speaker 3: Uh yes, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the seven foot four Frenchman who came over number one pick in the NBA draft. Yeah, looks like I can't shoot jack. He did not in his first game.
Speaker 2: I felt bad and I mean, I'm kind of joking here, but it was kind of fucked up to watch him, Like it's it is wild. He walks into this arena, everyone just stops talking like it. I've never quite seen something like that. Usually in sports, people get like they're screaming. This was like, oh shit, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: There? He is him, and he just seems like an eighteen year old kid, Like it just genuinely seems like a child. Yeah, who is seven foot whatever, who is just getting getting used to being seven foot four?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and shout out to him too.
Speaker 2: He was like, yeah, I'm probably gonna you probably won't see me do anything in the media for the next couple of months, like until the season starts, because.
Speaker 1: All related to that same game that we went to and just a number of the NBA events. Free t shirts I think are overrated because man, people we saw a gell have fun with the T shirt cannon. There's something electric about a T shirt cannon that that gets you excited to be, you know, for the possibility of having something shot at you. I think we just need to like put the T shirt can into better use because like people will go wild for anything coming out of that free T shirts. Oh yeah, I've never caught the free T shirt. I've been given free T shirts that, like gotten free T shirts at like events where they were like giving them out. Yeah, they're never like prime rotation T shirt.
Speaker 3: They're not a T.
Speaker 1: Shirts, but people will go wild for them.
Speaker 2: You're basically getting a wearable poster. Yeah, like for a event that is not fashionable. You're wearing a marketing item. But it's the sheer fact that it's free. And I think what it does is like I think it like maybe kind of recreates our like obsession with the lottery of like here's this cool thing that will be shot out into the world and if you're the lucky one and you catch hold of it, you're the winner and everything could change. Because that's the energy people have when they're fucking like diving over each other for a free T shirt that has a bunch of key of sponsoring emblazons on it.
Speaker 1: And the power that you see on the faces of the like arena employees who come through with even the ones who are just like throwing the free T shirt the end of the crowd, they're like pointing at people then they're waving them off. There is a there is a power there that feels.
Speaker 3: I don't like un pressent, Like I feel like those people are.
Speaker 1: Peaking in that moment. They're just going to be trying to, you know, try to that moment.
Speaker 2: It active, it's my toxic like, oh, you're a tough guy kind of thing. I'm also you think you got me because you're throwing the T shirts out, because I know you're talking about when they were.
Speaker 3: There was one dude when the T shirt people came out.
Speaker 2: My man thought he was fucking doctor Manhattan or some shit like, I don't know what.
Speaker 3: The fuck he like.
Speaker 2: I could even I could feel his cockiness from the nosebleedze and I was like, no, I'm not having this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I was also just jealous, more acutely aware of it and jealous because we were pretty high up. We were general admission, got there a little late and can you.
Speaker 3: Get him up here? He's like, I don't have the arm of a god, Like.
Speaker 1: Do you want the shirt anyway? You sure seem to think you do, and then throws it to a kid down below and I'm like, oh, what a cop out? So obvious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone their most unfair group, like.
Speaker 1: On one hand, it seems a little bit patronizing, but I do feel like if they were and out like government benefits in this way and just like coming out with like some loud music and then like kind of running through the crowd and like pointing pointing to people. Yeah, you know, you'd see the government's popularity to go through the roof.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Just launch it out of a T shirt cannon or something. Yeah, pneumatic cannons for everything.
Speaker 1: Pneumatic cannons. I think the pneumatic is really like the showstopper that.
Speaker 2: Anything pneumatic is just feels like like an even Like I remember, do you remember that that MTV show Beach Blast that was like that fucking obstacle course show. No, there was an air I just remember I'm obsessed with this pneumatic air ramp they had that would just launch people fucking just feet up in the air. And I was like, oh, like.
Speaker 1: The lost art of the pneumatics, Like, yeah, there used to be a feature at the bank that was like a reason to go with your parents to the bank to like watch the pneumatic tube. Well, like, I don't know, we've lost that. Wait, what was it.
Speaker 3: Called sand beach Blast or maybe it was sand Blast whatever. Fuck that show was so good that gang help me know what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give us some idea. If you've seen anybody distribute something via pneumatics or if it's still happening somewhere.
Speaker 3: That's what it was called.
Speaker 1: Sand Blast sounds Yeah, that's a good nineteen.
Speaker 3: Ninety ninety six. God, what the fuck was like ten to twelve was? Anyway?
Speaker 1: Well, My underrated's kind of on the same subject that we're already talking about, and sand Blast is appropriate because I think my underrated is Las Vegas. He's my first time like being in Las Vegas and not being like mostly drunk for most of the time. And it is and also like a wear.
Speaker 3: With those eyes.
Speaker 1: It's definitely it's like poisonous and weird and and uh like dark, but also like worth being at for like worth spending twenty four hours there. So just like I don't know, it's like.
Speaker 2: A weirdically inside the arteries of the casino floors and yes, and shopping spaces of the yeah, the big hotels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just this like weird alternate universe where like everything's indoors, like the whole places feels like it's on life support. It's this giant like interweaving biodome, except instead of like recreating a biome in the desert, it's just like cigarette smoke, like whatever they use to cover up the cigarette smoke, air conditioning, small food court smells. It feels like it is the cheesecake Factory Menu of Cities. It's like you it does feel yeah. Superducer Brian said, it feels like a weird space station. That is a yeah.
Speaker 2: I think when we were walking through, I was like, this is what it's going to be like when the climate becomes unlivable and we can't do anything outside anymore and we have to just like live in these lit ass indoor spaces to be like yeah this this can replace sunlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's like I was also like there there's like a lot of families there. I wasn't like really aware that that is a thing. But yeah, it's like it's kind of like a more like Disney World if it was if they just like nobody was watching the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like do whatever you want, Like it's all smoke weed in here, like I guess, I mean, yeah, fine, you can go ahead and you can gamble away your kid's life savings or knowledge fun.
Speaker 1: People are still smoking cigarettes indoors. There is pretty wild. Like that kind of tells you all you need to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for me, Underrated, it's kind of dual sided. First one is gambler, the evil spirit that takes over people when they want to gamble. That's the reference to The Simpsons when Marge was always at the casino. I I haven't been to Vegas in maybe six years, like since we started the podcast, I have not been to Vegas. And coming back the way, you know, I like to have fun, not all the time, but when I'm in Vegas, I'll indulge a little bit.
Speaker 3: And the way I immediately was like, what are we? What are we? What are we up to?
Speaker 2: We played roulette jack one so casually at the roulette table, everyone, me, Jabbari, Brian were like.
Speaker 3: What the fuck was that? I'm over here?
Speaker 2: I lost a fucking like one hundred dollars in three seconds, and I was like, what the fuck, I'm like chasing the numbers.
Speaker 3: I'm completely fucked up at the roulette table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So obviously shout out to Las Vegas and their ability to just kind of get your eyes all big with dollar signs. But the other underrated thing also I realized is watching seven thousand sporting events simultaneously.
Speaker 1: Is the sports book.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, It's a disorienting but comforting experience at the same time when on the corner of your eye you have like tennis and then up above there's like under twenty one soccer, then a fucking UFC fight.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: It was just it's just like wild to be able to kind of like fix your attention all around and when you hear people cheering it like, wait, was it for the person who's got knocked out?
Speaker 3: Was this baseball game? Whatever?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it felt.
Speaker 2: Like just like the matrix of of sports watching. So I got to say, having three thousand screens kind of kind of fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I definitely could see myself like the whole like Wally Future dystopia where you're just like sitting in a floating chair and just having content like streamed into your brain.
Speaker 3: Like that sports Like I.
Speaker 1: Could see myself falling victim to that and just being like, Yep, this is this is how I want to pass my time.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Also, underrated buffets. I just always say that, Yeah, I love a buffet.
Speaker 1: Killed some buffets where else.
Speaker 2: Can you have sausage and biscuits, a slice of prime rib, some melon?
Speaker 1: You had a two prime rib day? I think we both did.
Speaker 2: Her Majesty was like, please don't be foolish out there, because she knows in my younger days, in my younger days, I used to I used to get pretty fucked up in Vegas. No, I've definitely thank God for the personal growth on that end. But when she was like, just you know, like, don't don't be stupid out there, I'm like, honestly, the riskiest thing I'm gonna do is probably eat too much red meat.
Speaker 1: And I followed through it, and you followed through. All right. Should we get into a news story for the people, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'd rather talk about prime rib man.
Speaker 1: Let's go prime rib all right. So Threads hit over one hundred million users within a week, definitely ahead of the people's expectations, ahead of Elon Musk's expectations. Zer Bergs even yeah, yeah, I mean they yeah, they seem happy. Twitter seems unperturbed and totally like not worried about this.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, no, I mean we talked last week that Elon had his lawyer send like a cease and desisting like you've been hiring Twitter ex employees and.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah, and that's our proprietary this, that and the other. Totally not a shook boy move.
Speaker 2: But then over the weekend someone was like pointing out like Threads and Twitter and some of the similarities, and then he just tweeted, zuck is a cook Okay, then followed that up with I'm not joking. This is verbatim what he tweeted. I propose a literal dick measuring contest with.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, sorry, Zuckerberg, that was Elon Musk. I don't I don't know how to speak like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's it's some form of crying through a clenched smile or something, but yeah, I don't know. I mean, it's just the way that tweeted. It felt like he was tweeting his thoughts in real time, where like he's seeing like how.
Speaker 3: Threads is doing. Was it sucks a cook?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he's like and then in his mind it was I bet I have a bigger dick than Okay, all right, man, that'll solve the issue about downloads on a fucking app. Yeah, pull your dicks out, Okay, go ahead, whatever this is where we're at. It wasn't enough to fight and sweat all over each other. Now you'll want to pull peeps out and compare.
Speaker 1: You're on threads. You were sharing things with me in real time that I think in the past you would have shared me like we would be showing each other things on Twitter. You were showing me things from threads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mostly Gang's response to watching you play Twitch on the flight.
Speaker 3: When I took a candid photo of you. They didn't they couldn't believe what they saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have an unorthodox style of holding the check.
Speaker 2: My threads out you can see some cool exclusive jack Switch content. I'm not foking around but yet. But yeah, what were we gonna say? Like just the I don't know threads.
Speaker 1: I feel like I need to do some threads pruning, need to prune the threads I put together my follow list because yeah, right now just feels very much like you know, Twitter still feels like I don't know. I find like funnier jokes there threads. The people I follow on threads, I think because it's like Instagram still feels like people are trying to like build build their brand a little bit more like there's something more of like people are watching on threads, whereas on Twitter people are just posting their thoughts, you know, like elon following dear Leader, just posting their thoughts and real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think it is worth pointing out, like you say, like there are definitely clear vibrational differences on threads and Twitter, you know what I mean. Like for me personally, Instagram is a little bit more because it is a Facebook product.
Speaker 3: I follow a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people like from my like personal life, like people I went to school with, like from way back, and be.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, shit, look at their like, cause that's for me the place.
Speaker 2: Now, if you're gonna post pictures or your family and shit, do it on Instagram because I don't want to hear about it. I think maybe what it's gonna do, it's gonna actually marry bring the worst part of Facebook and make it Twitter, where like I'm not on Facebook because I don't want to hear the ramblings of people whose opinions I don't respect. Yeah, because I'm just kind of there because of a loose affiliation, Whereas Twitter it's more like content I'm seeking out. Yeah, So I think, yeah, it just feels a little bland. Other comedians definitely having a good time on there, but it doesn't have that wild West feel of Twitter because I think on some level people know was like my mom might see this, or like, you know, like my aunt doesn't know I'm a fucking like wild fucking you know this that or the other Elon described he had this, he converted it.
Speaker 3: To this about why Twitter's better than threads. He said, quote, it is.
Speaker 2: Infinitely preferable to be attacked by strangers on Twitter then indulge in the false happiness of hide the pain Instagram mm hmm, which you know, it's.
Speaker 3: A weird way to put it, but yeah, it kind of does.
Speaker 1: It's also weird that his like that he'm getting Twitter is his abuse.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't tell if it's like I just haven't edited all the funny people I fall on Twitter or they're not on threads, or if social media networks have to like go through a life cycle that is just Twitter Like this feels like Twitter early days. Twitter like very uh when when I first started using it, And I think that's probably based on just I hadn't like really gotten my follow list where it needs to be. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been I've been surprised of seeing like former classmates like from like middle school, like on Threads like say stuff and I'm like, oh, ship.
Speaker 3: That's where you're at right now?
Speaker 2: Okay on follow didn't you forgot about that part?
Speaker 1: And they're looking at yours and being like, Oh, you're hanging out with somebody who doesn't know how to hold a twitch, right, he doesn't know how to hold a swock?
Speaker 3: Is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But yeah, I will say, I don't know. I could also see.
Speaker 2: Threads just falling off of Cliff in like two months if people get bored, Yeah you know what I mean, because I think part of a lot of people are like, wow, Zuckerberg's done it, and you know how he completely went like switched it around from getting made fun of about the metaverse and all that shit to now being like, oh shit, yeah you kind of stomp it out Elon Musk at the you know, social media platform game. But I think part of that whole Threads their rise is completely linked to everyone just fucking hating Elon.
Speaker 1: Munch, quitting Twitter and Solon.
Speaker 3: You can take that. It might not be because the actual platform is better. It's because they hate you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you know, there's also the nice fact that on Twitter now you can like easily just scroll past anybody with the blue check mark next to their name like they've that that's actually become useful, a useful way to just be like, oh, this is just bullshity block this person so a helpful broken product on Twitter. But we'll see. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back with more stories. And we're back and in the world of ai uh Sarah Silverman.
Speaker 2: I just saw someone on Threads exactly reminds you why I don't want to be like this. One person I used to work with just said I'm ready for prime day Birdman hand rub In.
Speaker 1: Parenthetically, Yeah, Breads is like either people just being like, hey, do you guys like pizza or people talking about like Threads versus Twitter. Yeah, and yeah, I like have the New York like a lot of New York Times tweets and just yeah, I think it's just I haven't done a good enough job of It's back where I would where my media intake was, back when I was using Yeah.
Speaker 3: You just got to get just got to get the I'm active and just start unfollowing that's that's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but make sure you follow us. You know, don't know what I'll be posting, but I'll be posting some shit on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Sarah Silverman, other authors are suing chat GPT.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a thing, man, Yeah. This, uh, we saw it with Getty Images.
Speaker 2: We saw lawsuit come from them where they're talking about how generative like a lot of these you know, these generative ais are using copyrighted material to then create these new images or products or text or whatever. So Sarah Silverman, along with authors Richard Cadre and Christopher Golden who did error at they are suing open ai and Meta for copyright infringement, and their suit alleges that the companies illegally use their works as basically part of data sets that trained these ais. So for the open Ai chat GPT suit, their like their evidence was showing that one prompted chat gpt would summarize their books, which infringes on their copyrights. And they say that the chatbot never bothered to quote reproduce any of the copyright management information plaintiffs included with their published works.
Speaker 1: Which would just make check gbt worse like a worse product if you had to like get for a bunch of rent. Exactly, it makes sense trying it Like they are just stealing content, but that that is also basically what the internet does.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's like, but we have to feed it something and it's just stuff that already exists, and in a way, that is how the human mind works. But again, like, and it's specifically to Meta and their like Lama models as they call their like open Air or whatever, their AI models, they're basically saying that, like, you guys have even said that the data sets that you're using that Meta is using to train these ais are like using these existing databases of printed materials, of copywritten materials that they're using that to train the AI. And because their books have been included in those data sets, are saying, well, no, do not.
Speaker 3: You're using our works illegally, right.
Speaker 2: So it's a it's it's a very like, it's a very complicated thing. And I mean, these lawsuits are gonna have potentially huge ramifications over what even the definition of a copyright is. Right, So this I'm right right now, these people are suing for damages and loss of profits, et cetera. But I don't think there's any reason to think that these lawsuits are going to stop at this point, because it like, on on one end, as a creative person, you're like, I can't, like my work can't just be used willy nilly for this other this AI. But then again, you know, how do we differentiate all these things. I mean, I'm not on the side of being like, yeah, let them pick your shit, but it'll be interesting how this is adjudicated and how what that means going forward, if like you have to license something to have that used as part of like a learning data set for AI or some shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't know. The whole thing fucking feels above me and like crazy and like, well, I don't know. I feel like we've already hit the singularity in terms of my ability to even like kind of understand what's going on. But it definitely feels bad for people trying to create content in the world.
Speaker 2: But I mean, and I'm not playing Devil's Advocate by any stretch of the imagination, but all of our creative works are informed by previous creative works on some level, whether some people are cynically just copying shit or people are influential on people's own create like their own artistic aesthetic formation or what right, you know what I mean? Like, so at that point, where do we I'm not saying that these ais need the rights of people, but then how do we kind of define it all? Because on some level you can tell that like does does J Dilla exist without DJ Premiere without you know, the original DJs? That we're sampling things and like who you know what I mean? Like it's just everything builds on each other. And there's like a book I like, I read I remember like many years ago, so called how to Steal Like an Artist, And they're just basically talking about how it's really like we've seen many ted talks and stuff like this about how it's all of our ideas are just formed off of the backs of these other ones. So on that level, there's no need to think of like why don't I have anything original to do? But just still that we're just part of this like constant evolution of ideas.
Speaker 1: The AI also ingested that book many years exactly like I will steal like an AI. Yes, but yeah, like that that bums me out to like because that argument is definitely coming like, well, what's the difference between what this AI does exactly what you guys do, and it's like, well, that is a product that is just feeding money into your bottom line as yea, exactly, and.
Speaker 2: You're cynically creating something that has the potential to devastate like other human beings their own artistic endeavors, whereas this other thing is just our own human right to like exist, live in just ideas and then express new ones. Yeah, I mean, can you where's where's that like lawsuit? Where like the fucking AI is like wearing a tie at the fucking Supreme Court and ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean, the like AI is the big thing that everybody's investing in on Wall Street. So yeah, I know, I like I've heard a lot of smart people be like, it's just the latest like scam and it's not gonna be able to follow through on this ship. But you know, Wall Street, who has never been fooled before by anything, seems to think metaverse all right, uh more undisclosed. Clarence Thomas Gifts just dropped. Mmm, so the big news, Yeah, the New York Times is doing some digging, so it's not just a personal vendetta by Pro Publica as almost Thomas and Harlan Crowe seemed to think it was New York Times is getting in on the action to be like the people might want to know that this dude just parties with billionaires and you know, corporate heads and then rules in their favor.
Speaker 2: What the these are just they're just hospitality between friend. Yeah, this is this is wild. So we got to just start calling him fancy clancy. But yeah, he turns out, man, this guy it wasn't just Harlan Crowe, Like Clarence.
Speaker 3: Thomas has been getting hooked up since even before he was in the fucking Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: So the second that he was put on the bench of the Supreme Court, he was invited to join this group called the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans.
Speaker 1: Being the character that was like the pulleer bootstraps up uh novel protagonists from like the early you know, turn of the century and is one of like one of the most formative people for like kind of the toxic American ideal of just like, well you don't want hundred percent help, Like look at this ratio. Alger is poor person who made himself rich by just pulling himself up by his bootstraps.
Speaker 3: And now we're distinguished.
Speaker 2: Look at us, and they build themselves as a scholarship organization or whatever. But it's just a place where they're like really connected conservatives all hang out and you know, you have instant access now to a Supreme Court justice. They talked about how he got vacations, VIP tickets to sporting events. You went to lavish fucking parties with Ed McMahon and Oprah, You know.
Speaker 3: What I mean, real a list type shit. Oprah.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, gaire? Yeah, Oprah, she's not Oprah.
Speaker 3: Oprah left the building.
Speaker 2: You know, when you're that rich, when you're that rich in general, you have left the building completely.
Speaker 3: So anyway, a lot of.
Speaker 1: You're just saying, like what you're doing with Ed McMahon, I'm shipping those two. That's Oh I love that Ed McMahon is dead, right, Oh right, yeah yeah, yeah, Well for you shipping in my brain like decades before he died, So yeah, I think that's probably he just exists in a hyperreality for him.
Speaker 3: Oh, she died in two thousand and nine. I don't know why, am I in mind? I was like he died back in like twenty sixteen or something.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even that wave of terrible losses in twenty sixteen anyway.
Speaker 1: The worst Mandela effect, we just came up with it. I thought, Yeah, McMahon died in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: He so he hadn't reported any of these.
Speaker 2: A lot of people point to the fact that after two thousand and four, when the La Times pointed out a lot of shit that he was like slipping on, he just stopped reporting shit in general. So for like nineteen years, he's just like fuck it, Like I'm not I'm not e gonna let you go. I'm gonna give you guys crumbs to look at. But the other thing that came out, like I said, a lot of these these favors were happening before he got on the Supreme Court. They found one vacation where a buddy paid for a vacation in the Bahamas, and then also a friend paid for his nineteen eighty seven wedding reception.
Speaker 1: Wow, he just didn't pay for anything for Yeah, Like he's just his whole life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, he's basically what social media influencers do, except he was doing it early and he was a Supreme Court justice, and it's all.
Speaker 1: Spawn con yeah, it's all sponsored content, but I do.
Speaker 3: It's all the cool stuff I get. Uh. Yeah, so like not to mention you.
Speaker 1: Should have to like put a hashtag at the beginning of his hash sagreme Court.
Speaker 2: Yeah r if he's writing the majority opinion hashtag ad. But uh we are sighting with the you know, fucking Berkshire Hathaway on this one, because the homie had me at his ranch in Montana.
Speaker 3: It's actually really beautiful hashtag ad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I think one of the creepier revelations is that some of his friends from Horatio Alger helped pay for a documentary about him, made specifically as like a rebuttal following the HBO movie about Anita Hill starring Kerry Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It came out in like twenty twenty, I think it was. It was yeah, recent. Yeah, so yeah. It's just a two hour infomercial for him, and in which he compares himself to the falsely accused Tom Robinson and to kill a mockingbird.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, same, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I see that, I see that.
Speaker 3: I see that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, truly pull yourself up by your boot stress. Why doesn't he call himself Boo Radley though, right, I think he's more Boo Radley, Like that makes more.
Speaker 3: He's like, they got the wrong idea about me.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually no, they don't have the wrong I'm pretty far.
Speaker 1: Turns out character the whole time, all right. Quick box office update. According to an ad I saw on Twitter, Sound of Freedom with the number one movie at the is America's number one movie at the box office, so they are you know, you guys talked about how it was the number one movie at the box office on July fourth for one day, which they and they like made it seem like it was their target audience's patriotic duty to go see the movie on July fourth.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 1: But the rest of the weekend it did not. It was like somewhere in the top five, which they're they're claiming as a victory, but did not beat Indiana Jones or Irrigin. That's right, we did with patriots who instead of like barbecuing or you know, do it doing what they would have been doing on July fourth, actually went to the movies.
Speaker 2: And again, until I see who is the source of those ticket sales, I'm filing this under so dubious I'm gonna smoke it as a doobie, okay, because we knew that they the whole reason they got there was basically doing the New York Times bestseller list shit where you could buy as many tickets as you wanted to gift them to someone who you wanted to see the film. No idea how many motherfuckers actually saw this shit with their own eyes. We just know how much money has been passed in the form of quote unquote ticket sales.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that gets it there. But yeah, I mean, like it definitely seems to be making a impact for this type of movie, but it's also like, yeah, and it's funny how like close it is in a lot of ways to American Sniper, which was also like kind of a right wing movie that was based on the grift of like somebody who was constantly exaggerating and like made himself into an action hero in people's minds.
Speaker 2: So was that guy like a big liar the America that the Cooper played, I mean I remember that, like I remember years ago being like, yeah, that guy was full of shit?
Speaker 3: But was he was? He just a grossly exaggerating.
Speaker 1: Every grossly exaggerating And yeah, it's not a in any way based on fact movie that draws most of its power from the idea that it's based on fact.
Speaker 2: Well, because the film itself like felt like this weird like islamophobic fever.
Speaker 3: Dream Yeah what I mean?
Speaker 2: So oh okay, well this one is just as equally untethered from reality.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he goes on like uh rescue missions that like with with camera crews and then based on a tip from a Utah psychic, as you guys mentioned at the end of last week, which.
Speaker 2: Pretty Ridgard for the record, did not know that psychic even though Bridge was from Utah.
Speaker 1: Yeahs couldn't get if that psychic was worth of damn you know that Bridger would have known about it. Let's take one more break and we will be right back. And we're back, And so the the Ronda Santis train seems to be slowing down. He was kind of the anointed for Fox News. Fox was like, this is this is our guy, it seemed like for most of the campaign, and they seem to be switching gears and have suddenly started crapping all over to Santis. Uh. And in this case, he was on Fox News twice and in both cases bullying him bullying me. Uh so. First, he appeared on the network on Thursday for an interview with Will Kine, and he was confronted with his terrible poll numbers and totally like just didn't He's looked like a middle schooler being broken up with for the first time. He's just like wait what.
Speaker 2: The line of questioning too is just like, so, why do you basically distilled done to? Like, so you suck pretty bad? Huh Like, what's going on with that? Yeah, let's just hear this exchange, because it is pretty it'sheartening.
Speaker 4: There's something about you that's not connecting, for whatever reason, not connecting with the voter, whether not be personality. Donald Trump says it's about loyalty. Francis Suarez says, it's about your relationships and it's not about those individuals so much as I'm curious in the analysis of Ron DeSantis of why not yet is connecting.
Speaker 1: Bank?
Speaker 5: I think, did you just see the news today about the record fundraising hall we've had. Nobody's been able to match that in the history of modern.
Speaker 3: Presidence of crime politics.
Speaker 5: So we've got a huge amount of support to be able to take the case to the people. We really haven't started that yet.
Speaker 1: Oh, so first, we aren't trying. Yeah, yeah, I wasn't even trying. Oh you thought that that was my campaign when I announced my campaigns.
Speaker 2: No, you heard the amazing news that we you know, we just just satured up fundraising.
Speaker 3: R you will Yeah.
Speaker 1: He squeezed like thirteen blinks in between the end of the sentence and the beginning or other question in the beginning of his answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. Again it did.
Speaker 2: The distillation of that is, so you're creeping people out. Donald Trump says, because you a fucking snake. Other people say, because you creep them out. Yeah, we want to know why you think.
Speaker 3: You're sucking up. It's like, well, I haven't even parted yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh really, it does feel like my read on it is that it's it's really the same as the Mueller and uh Jared Kushner thing, where like everybody had heard of him and seen him in headlines, and then they heard him speak and like saw him move and saw him interact with other humans, right, and it was like, oh, oh wait a second, like this he's he's just like not, I don't know, and.
Speaker 2: That in the full clip, I was watching like a longer segment of that, when Will Kine was interviewing him.
Speaker 3: He starts it's off by like playing a clip of Ron DeSantis. He's like, he's like, let's setch it before it comes on.
Speaker 1: You said.
Speaker 3: He's like, I don't know if you.
Speaker 2: Heard about this, but at the southern border, you got people coming in from Tajikistan. It's not just people from South America. And I was thinking, wow, like it's the least like and Will King comes back, he's like, so what the He's like, so, you know, not the most compelling he said, And then you had him on oh my god, Yeah, he's at the this US stage of yeah.
Speaker 1: Just all right, let's look at your performance here and just it's like the postgame interview with an athlete who has just lost, Like yeah, it feels like the energy that they're they're giving him.
Speaker 3: And then he and then he came back for more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. His explanation. In addition to like I wasn't trying, he also blamed his poor numbers on the corporate media yep, and also the president of Mexico. There you go, there it is ye. He said, well, I think if you look at the people, like the corporate media, Who are they going after? Who do they not want to be the nominee? They're going after me, who's a president of Mexico attacking because he knows who will be strong on the border and hold him accountable. And the car tells he's going after me because Republican voters usually check for I think it goes like Drudge first, and then Fox and then President of Mexico. Like what he's saying, what's his read on the situation?
Speaker 3: Also name the president of Mexico.
Speaker 1: Right. It's also wild for him to claim that it's like the mainstream media is not on board because he's like he is basically a fabrication of the mainstream media, like fromt page of time, Like he is the Beto O'Rourke of the Republican the Republican primary.
Speaker 3: And they're like, oh wait, he's a robot guy.
Speaker 2: It's wild though, too, how this guy's he's losing, he's losing points because of the lack of riz.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, where have we come? How far are we falling?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And then he comes back for more and you would think that he's like, Okay, now I'll have like a different strategy, a different approach to the questions. No, but it seemed like his strategy was like, maybe they'll be nicer this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he went to Maria Bartiromo's show and she.
Speaker 3: She was also like, hey, bro, the fuck is going on with you?
Speaker 6: I'm wondering what's going on with your campaign. There was a lot of optimism about you running for president earlier in the year. But here's this weekend's headline from the Politico playbook, failure to launch. Florida Governor Ron de Santis' campaign to topple Donald Trump has stalled. We are way behind, says a top DeSantis pack official, sounding the alarm.
Speaker 5: What happened, Oh, Maria, these are narratives. The media does not want me to be the nominee. I think that's very very clear. Why because they know I'll beat Biden, but even more importantly, they know I will actually deliver on all these things.
Speaker 3: Okay, just a couple of things that la Yeah, that laugh first. Okay, good transition to show you're not pressed at all.
Speaker 2: But I like that he he's pointing to polling right that they're like measurably, you're way behind, Like you're not having an effect on the conversation and He's like, well, that's a narrative, not a measurement of something, and then goes on to say that he would beat Joe Biden. I'm not sure I've seen that, and then just continues to just I think his new thing now is just to say they don't like my numbers are bad because the.
Speaker 3: Media doesn't fucking want me to do well right.
Speaker 2: Which is clever, but doesn't even come close to explaining why you're not doing anything. It's not like you're being like completely vanished from the conversation, like people were actively giving him relevance to even get to this point, so to then be like they.
Speaker 3: Don't want that, they don't want it with Hoe like.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, Ron, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, I mean And we talked about the fact that like he has the problem of he feels committed to going further right than Trump because he recognizes that's where the energy is, like especially at a at a local level, but also like his main argument that was causing all the mainstream media to like back him was that he was the more moderate, like the more sensible option, So his problem there and then as fox a Fox panelist said later in the day, one should we just play it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just so out on this guy.
Speaker 2: It's just so wow, performan just last word on this. What are Democrats it's going to be watching for in that debate?
Speaker 7: How awful Ronda Santis does? I think Ronda Santis is biggest one to launch. His biggest problem is people are getting to know him and it turns out his record in Florida is kind of hurtful to a lot of people and hateful and it's not resonating. He also, from every report, seems to be a weird guy with voters, and when you're in Iowa, New Hampshire, you have to talk one on one to them, and I don't think he does that really well. I think the person I'd be watching for is Tim Scott and those debates.
Speaker 3: Anyway, He's just weird guy, you know, And that kind of sums it up.
Speaker 1: I feel like they for a long time were just like holding their tongue, like, I guess we got to make this the guy. He's the guy, right, like he did good in Florida election, and now they're just like, all right, we can this is weird, right.
Speaker 2: Well, I see a few pieces too from like the never Trump kind of side of the Republican establishment is like, fuck, we got to cut our losses.
Speaker 3: Do it ain't DeSantis?
Speaker 2: Like we got to figure out who the fuck it can who the Trump alternative even could be now because DeSantis has completely broken apart upon re entry. So yeah, he's just a weird guy. That's like, honest, I feel like that's one of the most fucked up things. Say yeah, like not even like his policies are backwards and he's a proto fascist. He could be like he's a fucking weird guy and like that cuts like even no matter your political ideology, go, oh fuck, really he's a weird guy.
Speaker 1: Well you can't, like you can't strategically reconfigure your campaign from being a weird guy, Like you can't be like all right, I'll stop being a weird guy like that.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine?
Speaker 2: Like I would love this feels like a like a comedy where he fires his campaign staff and brings in like new consultants and stuff to help with his image, and he like comes out like frosted tips.
Speaker 1: Or some shit next week trying to do anything his image. Back in the day when he was liking sir mixing a lot?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: Did you see that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like a high school yearbook picture.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, his yearbook quote that's going viral. Oh it's fake?
Speaker 1: Oh is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, never mind, good to know.
Speaker 3: Damn dude, this photo is real though.
Speaker 1: That middle part of him yeah, ah, his middle part. High school days are pretty uh, pretty intense.
Speaker 2: This is so stupid. I love, but I just love how stupid the internet is giving him. This is the fake quote that that was going viral. Stupid Ronald diss and is my Mount Rushmore? Is Jesus, sir mixes a lot and Nintendo sixty.
Speaker 1: Four lot is great? All right? And also in Vegas over the weekend. Yeah, and I'm surprised nobody's calling us out. Only the best folks we were. We were there too. But Mel Gibson uh and Donald Trump were spotted plotting to overthrow Hollywood aka just chilling with Guy Fieri because they were at the same UFC fight. Yeah yeah, yeah, mel Gibson was trending on Twitter because with Trump and Roger Stone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just figuring it out, figuring it out.
Speaker 2: Just some ideas I got on how to completely take us back to the Stone Age. Yeah, the the guy Fiertti thing uh and sent does a TikTok today about the pictures of Guy Fieri shaking hands with Trump with like that's.
Speaker 3: The day the music died. Yeah, well, you know, he just respects the office. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like that is not surprising in the least bit for uh.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I don't Guy Fieri. He's truly like in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like in that sense of like because he's I think he has he has enough appeal to progressives because of his like LGBTQ stances and how outspoken he's been there, and then just by being like the fucking spicy Nacho's guy on TV is enough to get conservatives on board. And then he'll be like, well, I'm not gonna He's like, I'm not fucking Cornell West. I'm gonna turn my back.
Speaker 3: On the President and just say hello, Hey, I'm Guy.
Speaker 1: But according to right wing conspiracy theorists, this is because they're hatching some kind of elaborate plan that nothing can stop to expose all the pedophiles in Hollywood. And really, who better the we this is the Mel Gibson and Donald Trump, and who better to weed out abusers in Hollywood than mel Gibson. He's probably telling that Trump is like it takes a thief. Yeah, you're like, okay breaking. President Trump holds meeting with mel Gibson and Roger Stone after Sound of Freedom tops box office tops.
Speaker 3: Box Now that's a narrative.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Apparently mel Gibson's a big fan of the Sound of Freedom even had input on its final edit. Oh really yeah apparently.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I mean it's he had like another one of the like successful right wing movie marketing campaigns where they basically made people think it was their duty to like go see the Passion of the Christ. So it makes sense to me that he's kind of plugged into this in some way. In reality, they were just at a reception at a UFC event.
Speaker 3: Okay, hey, Mark Wahlberg was also there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a crew.
Speaker 1: That's my Mount Rushmore. Sorry, sir mixes a lot. You've been dumped.
Speaker 2: Its Gibson, Roger Stone, Nintendo Twitch Yeah, and sir mixes a lot.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, Gibson, we've seen where he stands on on various things. But he, I guess, made headlines for saluting Trump at a fight two years ago, and it's not.
Speaker 3: Show back to.
Speaker 2: Get out of here, yazy piece of garbage gabbage.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. We didn't see them. We were not there for this summit in Las Vegas, unfortunately. We were at the sports book. Took some action on the Suns and on the Oklahoma City Thunder to win it all, Win it all, baby, all right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday, July day. We are back tomorrow with a who last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Bye bye,