Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Today, we're headed to Fayetteville, Georgia, just south of Atlanta, and our first stop is the Hopeful Primitive Baptist Church. This small, one room chapel has been standing for two hundred years.
Speaker 3: When you walk in that door, you feel the history. I mean, you can see the top hats and tails, you can see the regalia of the time. You can see the horses in the in there in what is now the parking lot.
Speaker 2: Scott Johnson is the pastor there and a longtime resident of the area.
Speaker 3: It's close enough to the city to be close enough to the city, but far enough away to be far enough away. We love Fayetteville and it's a very special place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's a small town. For a long time, it's been a bedroom community, a lot of people commuting to Atlanta, you know, working for Delta. People choose it because it's because it's pretty a nice, quiet town.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg reporter Josh Saul covers energy and that's what drew his attention to Fayetteville, along with another one of our colleagues, Don Lim.
Speaker 1: And then the reason we're interested in it is that Blackstone came knocking.
Speaker 2: Blackstone, the world's largest private equity firm.
Speaker 1: And Blackstone's data center development firm QTS decided that this town in Georgia was a good place to build a really, really big data center. And data centers are the thing that underpin our modern technological lives. When I text a gift to my wife, when you have a baby and the doctor runs a bunch of tests, or if you use chat GPT, all of that runs through data centers, and there's a lot of money in them. Big gold rush to build as many data centers and people pay you to be in them.
Speaker 2: Big tech companies in particular have been signing long term leases. They've been building their own data centers and even exploring the possibility of nuclear energy production to make sure there's enough power to run all the data centers they'll need in the future. At first, Fayetteville was excited to cash in on this piece of the AI gold rush. That is, town residents started to grasp how much power a data center would need to operate.
Speaker 1: Where people who live in the town really started noticing that this was coming was when the local power company started coming around and saying, we're going to need to build a big power line to get electricity to the data center, and the power line's going to need to come through your yard.
Speaker 2: That was the message to more than one hundred homes and private properties, including the Church of Scott Johnson, the pastor.
Speaker 3: These are not just regular street power line polls that you think of. These are massive, high energy, high frequency power lines. And so they're going to be draped on two sides of our property up along New Hope Road and across the intersection right at our corner. So on two different corners, we will be draped with these invasive, ugly monstrosities.
Speaker 2: I'm David Gura, and this is the big take from Bloomberg New Today on the show Not in My Backyard, the Data Center Edition. What American demand for data centers means through the communities across the country where they're built, the companies that invest in them, and are power consumption. The town of Fayetteville, Georgia, had been trying to get a data center because of the tax revenue that would come with it, So at first, landing a big data center developer like QTS seemed like a big coup for the community. QTS has data centers all across the US, and claims to be the fastest growing data center company. Microsoft soon expressed interest in the Fayetteville data center. In Bloomberg' Josh Saul says Fayetteville had a lot to offer.
Speaker 1: One of the big reasons is that Georgia Power, the power company there, is good at providing power. It's what they do, so the electricity is relatively cheap, it's very reliable, and there's open land.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about the amount of power that these things need, but maybe we could talk about what they look like physically first. How big is a data center, a modern data center?
Speaker 1: I guess the simplest way to say is that they are huge. You could think of two walmarts stacked on top of each other with no windows. The ones that have been inside recently are relatively small, maybe a tenth the size in terms of energy consumption as this one in Georgia, and when you're inside them, they are still enormous, you know, just huge, huge rooms. You could play a sick game of paintball in there, and just really really big. And in parts of the country, like in northern Virginia, when you drive through, you drive through areas that are just all data centers, So you just drive by them for a while and there's just data center after data center, and there's some slightly different architectural elements, and they're oriented in different directions, but they all look roughly the same and all have the same small parking lots with you know, a couple of techs or a couple of prospective clients parked there.
Speaker 2: How different are the data centers that are being built today from ones that we were seeing being built, you know, five years ago, ten years ago. What sets them apart from what we've seen in the.
Speaker 1: Past, right, Well, they're just a lot bigger and a lot more powerful. I mean you talk to old gues in the industry and they're kind of like, yeah, I mean when I started out, we had a data center in our office, it was just called the computer room, and it was just a room that had a couple of computers on it, and at that point that was enough to hold the whole office's technology. Now that is definitely not the case. So yeah, the simplest way to answer it is the way that data centers have changed is that they continue to get bigger, they continue to get more powerful, and they continue to take on new tasks. Now AI is starting to just be a part of our everyday life. And all of that runs through data centers like the one in Georgia that we're talking about, but also like the ones in northern Virginia or in the deserts of Arizona, or Ireland or Singapore or kind of any of these other places we're talking about.
Speaker 2: How should we think about the amount of power that these data centers require.
Speaker 1: It's so much power this one data center in Georgia is going to use over giggle weep. I mean, you've ever seen the Simpsons that whole nuclear plant. Mister Burns never said exactly how what its capacity was, but that nuclear plant. Imagine that whole thing powering just one big data center.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's astonishing.
Speaker 1: It's really a lot of power. It surprises you because for a long time in the US, power demand was flat. You know, even as people built more houses, things got generally a little more efficient, and power demand would creep up by one or two percent a year. It was just just a very slow, very sleepy industry. That has definitely changed. People and our economy just need a lot more electricity than they used to. So we went from that really slow load growth to just this kind of hockey stick projection that we're seeing now. I mean, some analysts I talk to compare it to you know, we haven't seen this kind of change in our energy systems in the US the amount of electricity we use since World War Two.
Speaker 2: The US Department of Energy estimates that growth in electricity usage by data centers has tripled over the last decade, and it expects that growth to double or triple again in the next three years. Josh, how wide is the gap between the need what these data centers need in terms of power and what these utilities are able to provide.
Speaker 1: Well, the utilities are pretty happy about building a lot more generation, and that's really changed the outlook for some of these companies because instead of what we saw a few years ago in terms of they were going to be building more clean energy, shutting down their old coal plants and building little or no new gas plants, now they're sort of, WHOA, We're not going to shut down our old coal plants. We need to build a lot of new gas and we're going to build new clean energy also. But it's completely changed the generation plans for these companies.
Speaker 2: Can you just talk a little bit about the investment that's flowed into these data centers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Blackstone Bough QTS and twenty twenty one, they turned it into the fastest growing US data center landlord, and it now makes a lot of money for them. You know, they have a footprint right now that's got roughly fifty billion dollars in data centers, and there's another fifty billion of you know, prospective data centers perspective developments in the pipeline. So it's a huge operation.
Speaker 2: In something it sounds like Lackstone, and I'm sure others are very committed to. They see this as being an opportunity now and certainly one into the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I means alone now has something like two and a half gigawatts of signed power capacity, meaning that's data centers with that much power that are signed to flow into them. Their goal is to have more like six gigawats as aiming towards and for capacity, I mean that's more electricity than is used by the city of Miami.
Speaker 2: After the break, Fayetteville residents and city officials were surprised by the amount of power their new neighbor is going to require. And that is when the backlash started. That data center in Fayetteville, Georgia is now under construction on six hundred acres. When it's finished, ten hulking bunkers will hold thousands of computers, and Bloomberg's Josh Saul says it's expected to consume as much electricity as about a million US households. A million households, Well, that figure came as a surprise to some people in Fayetteville.
Speaker 1: Town officials sort of assumed, I mean, like a new super market or a new house, it's just going to plug into our current electric rid. They did not know that it was going to take massive new power lines.
Speaker 2: And is that simply a lack of people in that town doing their due diligence or has he been reporting on this in other communities? Is this perhaps common?
Speaker 1: Well, it was a little hard to suss out. Local officials told my co writer Don Lim that it was their understanding or they were told by the companies that the local infrastructure was sufficient, that yep, what's here is fine, nothing new needs to be built. People close to QTS told us that what they said to local officials was based on what Georgia Power told them. And then when we went to Georgia Power. Georgia Power said that transmission planning is a long process and they don't disclose confidential client information to town officials. So, I mean, that's all very complicated. But what it boils down to, at least from the stance from the viewpoint of homeowners and town officials, was that they did not know this big transmission line was going to be needed until the deal was basically done, and there were Georgia Power workers knocking on people's doors saying they wanted to buy an easement through their property. That's the point when TANN officials found out, oh kind of package up with this deal is going to be a huge new transmission line that's really going to change the face of our town.
Speaker 2: The power lines were set to encroach on more than one hundred properties and houses.
Speaker 1: I mean, nobody likes a big transmission line coming through their property. You know, sometimes when I'm working on this kind of story, I think about the house I grew up in Alaska, and like, if a big transmission line was built right through the view in front of the house that my mom and dad built with their hands, you know, it's like that doesn't make anybody happy. That's roughly the reaction that people in Fayetteville had is like, no, I don't want even for ten grand or one hundred grand. No, I don't want to sell you an easement for a massive power line to come through where I like to you know, watch deer. But underneath all of that was sort of the understood truth that this was a David versus Glad situation and the power line was coming. And people are also scared of eminent domain, which is rarely used, but kind of is you know, underpins all these negotiations, which is, you know, if there's a few holdouts along the path of an important piece of public infrastructure like a highway or a power line, you know, a company like Georgia Power can go to court and can get the right to buy the land and buy the easement by force. So yeah, people were you know, protesting and unhappy, but they, I think at some point understood that the power line was coming.
Speaker 2: Josh, what did those homeowners tell you about their response when they started getting those knocks on doors?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, kind of right from the beginning, there were some some ring leaders or some organizers, and people would get together and talk about, well, if none of us sell out, then the power line won't come through here and maybe it'll have to go somewhere else, or maybe they'll they won't build this data center after all. There was even a group of people who went to one of the meetings held by the regulators Halloween's to everyone, the state commission that regulates utilities like Georgia Power. We do have some folks signed up for a public comment and they went there to speak before the regulation saying like, we don't want this thing here Ross. We and the community are extremely upset, which is why we are here today appealing to you to police help us commissioners. These people are being asked to do is destroy the value of their property and they're only serving one customer, the data set, so there was a lot of resistance.
Speaker 2: One home owner told Josh and his co reporter that Georgia Power first offered only twenty eight hundred dollars for an easement on her property. Months later, that offer came up to around one hundred and forty thousand dollars, but she still felt like that wasn't enough to make up for what she thought it would do to her home value.
Speaker 1: We talked to some appraisers for the story, and one told us that the range that big power lines can drop a property's value can be, you know, ten to thirty percent. It can be higher in rural areas because people are in those areas because they value that quiet, those pretty lanes.
Speaker 2: After the community backlash, some locals claim there were adjustments to the power the power lines, including moving one of the power lines farther away from Pastor Scott Johnson's church. Georgia Power, owned by Southern Company, disputes the power line would have been on church land and said it engaged with dozens of property owners and residents to work to address their concerns. QTS said it had no input on the location of power infrastructure, but even with the lines now across the street, Pastor Johnson still is not happy.
Speaker 3: We all appreciate electricity. We're not trying to be bad neighbors, but we don't want you to be a bad neighbor either. Simply bury the lines, that's all we ask, and it has been ignored. They said it would cost too much, so you know it's costing homeowners. We know it looks like it's happening, and we've resigned ourselves to that likelihood. We still would like to hope that that one of the rocks in our sling will find the forehead and they will break and say, you know, let's bury the lines, do the right thing.
Speaker 2: Josh, let me ask you about the other side of this. So what has QTS said about what protesters have alleged and what if they said about just the benefits of building this data center and sort of the effect it might have on this community.
Speaker 1: I mean, QTS makes the very fair point that these data centers are in huge demand. QTS is not creating the demand we all are with our phones and with the companies that we use. And I don't know, he's like all parts of our technologically driven world or AI, but I mean it's all around us. So QTS would say that they're fulfilling a need, like there's data centers that are going to get built. There's companies and people that want to fill them. And they would also make points about town officials wanted a data center here, and they would also make points about, you know, the tax revenue of having a data center in your town. I mean, I think the first year that QTS operates this data center, it's going to throw off enough tax revenue just for the school board for the equivalent of half a dozen teacher salaries. So I mean, I think, as I do this kind of reporting, I think a lot about these balancing, balancing these different desires. And I mean, I like green spaces, I like going for walks with my kids. I like having woods and being able to walk through them. But you know, I also like the idea teacher salaries, and I like the idea of the US being a technological leader. So it's just hard. It's hard to balance all these things.
Speaker 2: As we noted, the data center boom is being propelled in part by consumer and business demand for AI, which needs massive amounts of computing power. But the release of China's deep Seek AI model did raise some questions over whether all this computing power is really needed, And this week there was one sign that companies might be rethinking their own power demands. T. D. Cowen reported that Microsoft had canceled some leases for US data center capacity. This is the Big Take from Bloomberg News. I'm David Gura. This episode is produced by Alex tie. It was edited by Tracy Samuelson and Kara Wetzel. It was fact checked by Adriana Tapia and mixed and sound designed by Alex Segura. Special thanks to Don lim Our Senior producer is Naomi shaven Our, Senior editor is Elizabeth Ponso. Our Executive producer is Nicole Beemster. Bor Sage Bowman is Bloomberg's head of podcasts. If you liked this episode, make sure to subscribe and review The Big Take wherever you listen to podcasts. It helps people find the show. Thanks for listening. We'll be back tomorrow