Speaker 1: Today's episode contains spoilers for Dune Prophecy Episode three, Sisterhood Above All. Watch that first before you listen today.
Speaker 2: Watch it, watch it, Watch it up.
Speaker 1: Hi, folks, I'm a Boo and I'm Jason and I'm Rosie and welcome to x ray Vision Extras and x ray Vision Series, where we dive deep into even more of your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. Every superhero team needs side quests, and our rotating panel of producers and guest hosts we'll be suiting up to help Jason and Rosie cover all the amazing nerd content that's out there unless they feel like they really want to talk about it, like today, and then they're just gonna be here. Jason, I'm excited to talk about.
Speaker 3: Dune yay, dude, promisely episode one of three.
Speaker 2: I need my aboo done.
Speaker 1: Lords without give us well good, That's what we're here to do. So let's run through a recap of the episode together and then we'll share some thoughts and then if y'all have some Donelaurer questions for me, I can do my best to answer. So Dune Prophecy Episode three, Sisterhood Above All starts with Valia walking out of the palace. As we saw in the last episode, she has been laid off a tough gig.
Speaker 3: She's fighting, get by it, get out of you.
Speaker 1: She is, of course upset, but determined to get control of this whole situation. We then flash back to young Volyia and we visit for the first time of the show and for the first time on screen in June the planet Lanka Vail somewhere that how Stark I believe would feel very at home, and we see the illustrious Hearken in whale for industry at work.
Speaker 2: Good for them, it's going They're doing great.
Speaker 3: They're whalen.
Speaker 2: That whaling on the whale.
Speaker 3: That's where the money comes from. Baby, We're whaling on a major, major galactic scale.
Speaker 2: Okay, aboo.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you a question that came to mind when I was thinking about this. Yes, is that partially why the Hoarckins are always restoring themselves and laying in bathing in oil? Oh?
Speaker 2: Is that to do with the whales.
Speaker 4: And the kind of I always that was my first thought was like, is this some kind of tradition from the whale. You'll have to do some research and fill me in on that one.
Speaker 1: That's a fun headcanon. I'll have to do some research, but off the top of my head.
Speaker 2: No, I've always got a fun theory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a very fun theory. Well, here on Linkaville, at the whale shop, Falia buy some meat for dinner and she returns home for dinner. Dinner at the harkanins is tense. Guys. Young Valia clearly the black sheep of the family, right, she's yelling at everyone. She says what I think was actually a really good line. She says, this complacency is a disease. And for folks who know Dune, there's a major theme of warnings again, stagnation, to embrace chaos, to embrace change. That's a big thing Frank Herbert was about. And so I really liked that she said complacency is a disease, very on brand thematically speaking.
Speaker 2: Maybe vals right, maybe Valias right.
Speaker 1: The rest of the family is very fine with living off of whale, the whale for industry for the rest of their lives, but she has greater ambitions obviously. This is also the very first scene where we see Robert Bobby b Brathian show up.
Speaker 3: This this I will admit it throws me. It's like Margaddie's got along and illustrious career doing many many things. I loved him in Jack Frost's Now Dad is better than No Dad. I loved him in a million different other pictures. I loved him in you know, A Night's Tale, of course, I loved him. But David Thrones, I just think he's got to go into a different vocal performance because I'm like, holy shit, it's Robert.
Speaker 4: I've seen the full Monty. I know, yeah, a different accent. I know he's got a natural accent, but it is. Yeah, it's like Robert Brathian in space.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know what, that's probably why they cost him, Honestly.
Speaker 3: I mean I would tell you how they shit themselves this wayeless delicious, thank you.
Speaker 1: Just slurping up that wheel.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 1: Valia storms after getting into this argument with the family and ruining dinner. She storms out of the room. Her brother Griffin follows her, and we then are at some cliff overlooking a frozen river. And this is where we learned, through some back and forth between the siblings, that Valia had actually discovered the voice a power that we've watched her use multiple times in the show, already during this traumatic event where Griffin fell into this river nearly drowned, and she compelled him to move his muscles and swim to safety, so we get an origin point for the voice. This is slightly different from the book, but the broadbeats are generally the same. In the book, it also involved her brother.
Speaker 3: Do you want to give us the Yeah, what's the book version?
Speaker 1: In the book version? It's honestly, I feel like the show did a good job making it more emotionally resonant because it connected it to the brother more directly. In the book, Vallya has already been like honing and practicing the voice. This is just something I think, Jason, in our first conversation, you said, this is like an R and D. Think she was a project she was doing on the side. That's what she's doing in the book. She just knows it already by this point, and she uses it to save her brother. Here, saving her brother as like the inflection point of her discovering it for the first time.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was a good change.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have notes, but that's okay, we can continue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say it's interesting because I do think it's very anti what we know of the Benny jedzureit. You know, this having like this emotional relationship to your family or doing something out of love. I think it is not necessarily something that we would usually connect to the Benny Jesuit or the voice.
Speaker 2: Definitely, so I do think it's an.
Speaker 4: Interesting change, but I also think that it does make it more emotionally resonant.
Speaker 3: I also think I like the connection to family and how that generated the voice. I also just my one note, small note, is that it's too cost free. She has this immense power and it cost her nothing. There's no drawback at all, and that just feels not weighty enough. I would like it if there was some other thing there's cost to this voice somehow.
Speaker 4: Also, it would be very bleak, but very interesting. If she'd have been in an argument with her brother that she loves and then she used the voice and accidentally killed him or injured him or something like that because she didn't know how to not compel him. That definitely would have been an interesting Ringkle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, good notes. I agree. Well, we clearly see in this conversation between them that Griffin and Vaalia are affectionate toward each other. They seem to also have similar ambitions to help house hearken in, climb the ranks of power and get that respect back on their name. I really hope nothing happens to Griffin the Lovely Brother.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely seems like that nothing could ever bad, could happen enough would be absolutely great.
Speaker 3: I was also going to say maybe it was because Mark Addy is there, King Bobby b. I also felt like, gosh, brother and sister are very close, aren't they wonderful?
Speaker 2: Like that's allow of chemistry.
Speaker 4: These two, I will say, I do feel like they did a great job of showing like how depressing it was to be a howken in at this time.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, living on whale World and everybody's like this is great. Whale World is just like.
Speaker 4: In your cold ass stone house, like god terrible, just eating out.
Speaker 2: Of your stone ball eating whale.
Speaker 3: It's like, what do we got today, whale or more whales?
Speaker 1: Put one piece of art up, you know, like one splash of color.
Speaker 3: Up.
Speaker 4: Just something guys, somebody dressing it's something yellow colored or something.
Speaker 3: Put something green in the house.
Speaker 2: Red, like even red, guys. You've got a lot of Whale Blood.
Speaker 4: I will say the interior design on the planet of the Hockins Lancaveil Whale World is not delivery. I'm not a fan of the esthetic. I'm a fan of the esthetic as a viewer, but if I was living that, I would hate it.
Speaker 3: So I get it. I do get While Vollia is like, guys, yeah, we cannot be happy with this.
Speaker 2: She's like this is bad. Guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's got a point, and you know, despite her many faults, it is difficult not to cheer for her somewhat because she does have a point.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, rip to our guy Griffin. We hardcut to him just dead. We're at a funeral scene and we learn here that Griffin had gone to confront warrin a treadees the great rival that brought shame upon the Harkin In House during the Machine Wars, and allegedly boring New Trade's Murke disass.
Speaker 3: Whoops.
Speaker 1: And that's that's where we're.
Speaker 2: At now, Guys.
Speaker 4: I understand that, I'm sure there's gonna be some other reveal, but I feel like you shouldn't do this off screen.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of this happening. There's a lot of this thing happened off screen. I til like situations that are having.
Speaker 4: But I will say I understand it's hard to do an episode that is primarily flashbacks and keep the mystery. I'm like, I understand that we're probably gonna reveal that something else happened to Griffin.
Speaker 2: That's how it feels to me. But still him just dead.
Speaker 4: I'm not that invested in the how to Drain Your Dragon look alike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like for that to have a big impact, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do jump back to the present day. There's only a couple of present day scenes in this episode. This is one of them. The sisters have gathered and they are very stressed. They're worried about what's gonna happen now that they've all seemingly their jobs are at risk, and Bollia is trying to take charge. She's giving out commands. She's reassuring everyone, Hey, I'll handle this Corino thing. It's gonna be okay. Everyone just lock in and do your jobs and we're gonna get out of this.
Speaker 2: We'll get out of it.
Speaker 1: Baby sister Mikayla that arrives with a text basically from sister Tula informing them that Lila did not survive the agony as we saw in the last episode. But silver lining we got somewhat of a prophecy that rhymes Oh cool.
Speaker 3: That's important. If it doesn't rhyme, is it really a prophecy?
Speaker 1: I will say. In the scene, Volliat immediately jumps to a conclusion and she's like, the prophecy is about Desmond Hurt. Obviously.
Speaker 3: I found that to be quite striking.
Speaker 2: Also, guys, yeah, he's not Jason Amoa. Guys, let's just give it a break. He doesn't have the juice. He does have the mentat juice.
Speaker 4: Potentially he has the psychic juice, but I don't know if he has the leading character juice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, that felt like it is now not Desmond Heart. With how quickly Vally is jumping to that.
Speaker 2: Conclusion, I agree, Okay, that's I agree.
Speaker 1: The prophecy, at least, you know, is talking about someone else, not Doesnmond Hard.
Speaker 3: I think it's gonna be Lilah obviously, yes, but that's for another Yeah.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, we cut back to Tula back on Wallach nine. Tula is wrecked with guilt over Lilah's fate. She's standing over Lilah, who is in a coma right now, and one of the other sisters, sister Avila, comes in, comforts her, offers her some spice tea, and gently, very gently reminds her that there are more tough choices to be made. You gotta pull the plug Onla. We know nobody survives this coma. This is doing more harm than good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like, guys, there's free healthcare though. Just keep her in that, Like, you don't need to pull the plug. It's not costing you any money.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying it's really you know, I know it's really hard. You want me to do it, I'll do it. I'll chock her out whatever right right away, and I'll deal with this, like just saying you don't have to do it. I know you guys were clean.
Speaker 2: I'll do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, after that, we return to another flashback once more, where now with a young Tula who is on a family hunting trip with her new hunk of a boyfriend, Or who we will learn more about shortly. At this bull hunting trip, she's nervous about meeting the family. We get a sense that they haven't done the meet the parents yet. They're not at that stage of the relationship, and this is Tula's first time meeting ORI's family. She shows this young a Tredes boy how to skin and prepare the bait so they can lure the salution bull. When suddenly they hear a commotion nearby. This is giving very Carolter, Frivia and roach. But Aori's horse has broken its leg. There's no men to get at this point. It's better to put the poor creature out of its misery, and Ori is prepared to stab his horse when she stops him, runs back to her workstation, grabs that poison from the bait, and it peacefully ends the poor animal's life.
Speaker 4: Uh subtle foreshadowing spiceful of pain and let him die.
Speaker 2: She said, come jabah.
Speaker 3: Yet another again. Why this episode is like crossing my wires so strongly. It's another hunting accident in which Mark Addy is in the episode. Here we go again.
Speaker 1: It's true, yeah, plus a horse. Something that like really gave me cognitive dissonance was seeing a horse in a forest on a dune show on like a sci fi show, and it threw me off. It was really giving like fantasy show, very willow of that somebody had pointed out to me that like the vibe of this forest scene was giving Wheel of Time. I haven't watched the Wheel of Time?
Speaker 3: Is Wheel of Time? Game of Thrones? I mean they're leaning into the Game of Thrones tones, Yes, very strongly in this episode, and more strongly I think than any episode to date.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely.
Speaker 3: The sister who is generously offering to kill Lila for Tula, in fact has that where there stark accent, that northern England accent is piping out of her to the point that I'm like, god, worre wow, what we're leaning into it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think they were like, well, mark out, you's here a baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so let's make those Game of Thrones comparisons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna jump to what felt to me very much like a school of witchcraft and wizardry. Yeah, but we stay within the flashback. We cut to Wallack nine, where Valia has been sent post Griffin death, and we see young Vollia be quite rebellious as a student, questioning her professor Dorotea, clearly getting on Dorotea's nerves. To me, it's giving very Harry Potter sever a snape energy.
Speaker 2: That was immediately where I went it's hard nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hard not to make that comparison. Later on, all of the young trainees in this ceremony outside commit to letting go of their pasts and pledging themselves to the Sisterhood. Sisterhood above all, they say before being allowed back to the school, all except Falia, who remains standing, who remains conflicted out in the cold, crying, shivering late into the night. Even Dorite is like, I got stuff to do.
Speaker 3: I cannot come on, we got it, let's pack it in, come on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She ends up staying out there for the entire day, seemingly until nightfall. When Mother Raquella arrives and has a little one on one with Valia. She's like, forget about the vow for a second, just come inside yours cold talk, and Mother Riquella in this instance also witnesses the voice for the first time, so instantly Vali is an important character in her life as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, I will say, mm I think this is the most important moment of the episode, and I do think that it gives the title a very interesting double meaning, because we basically see here that the Hearkenin's like they just really want revenge and I think like Fahllia not wanting to take the bow and let go of all of her allegiances is setting up this idea of the Benny jeser At more of an awe as an arm of like.
Speaker 2: The Hawkenuns than it's fascinating on the value and Tula.
Speaker 4: You know, I do think that there is this kind of war but inside her about can I really give up my allegiances because I actually really just want to do this to get the power back from my family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's quite interesting, especially considering that we know but in the present timeline that you know, Valia is by now rejecting every harcone in advance to like get them a sister truth there. That said, I do feel like we need something. This is a world in which behavioral programming is like the basis of a lot of these guilts, you know, the mentets and the Sisterhood. Later Paul Trates undergoes like various things like this. I think it's got to be something stronger than oath because I feel like if I was one of the other houses in the lands, right, I'd be like, yeah, don't give me in a harconin. I don't want a Harconin as might unless there's some kind of like ironclad behavioral programming that goes into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more like a trial or something.
Speaker 3: I wish there was more something like that rather than Hey, you're just gonna promise. Hey, we know you're your Harconin or you're in a trade's or wherever you come from, but just promise me would stand out here in the cold for like three hours and promise me that it's gonna be sisterhood above all, and there's gonna be no conspiratorial leadings. You're not going to be carrying out the ambitions of your family through the sisterhood. Just promise. I think we need something stronger than just a promise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I will ask you a question a boot and we'll do it like jeopardy. I asked you the question, and then we go to ad break and then you can answer off towards but like fun.
Speaker 2: But this is the very early.
Speaker 4: Days of the Sisterhood, right, so there's a chance that they have something else, Right, there's something later on, and then you can answer that in a more full and the both way.
Speaker 2: When we come back from that.
Speaker 4: Back, I'm I back aboo, tell us about is that something like Jason is us does that a ka lata?
Speaker 2: Is that something that we see set up? Or is it always just this?
Speaker 4: And obviously I feel bad when we say Jedi ESQ or sith esque because really all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Was taken from Frank Haba. But is it really just this vow?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I think a good example would be doctor Huey in the First Dune, Yeah, where it's absolutely shocking to everyone that a doctor's ethical programming could be overcome in a way would allow him to stab his ruler in the back in the way that he has. That's utterly shocking, right, And so I find myself just wishing there was some kind of mechanism like this for these characters who are immediately seemingly going to be put into very sensitive positions of advising rulers.
Speaker 1: Yes. And the answer to that actually is that Frank himself didn't really get into that until books five and six of the six doing books that he wrote. Oh okay, And by the time we get into books five and six, things are so dramatically different. The universe has been shaken by many spoilerfic things that I won't say, but we finally see the inside inner workings of the Benny Jesuit, which is great, and I think the show is doing a pretty okay job trying to model some of that. But even there, there is no sort of like indoctrination laid out in the books, even in books five and six that lays out, Oh, okay, these sisters are like ironclad indoctrinated into this sisterhood. The assumption, and I think this show is assuming. We're assuming this too, but the assumption is like it's part of their training. All of those books in that library that we keep cutting back to are part of teaching them why the Sisterhood's mission is the only mission that matters, and so presumably their training is what convinces them this is the life they should be living. But we don't see that.
Speaker 4: To be fair, Also, do you this is more of like a academic like as a student of June, do you feel like Frank left that vague so that there was space for the potential for betrayal or people to have their own agenda outside of the Bena Jesua.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is in fact what the entire fifth book is about, which is called Heretics of Doone Yes, and the entire book follows the Benny Jesuit and in fact follows Splinter. I'm kind of walking on eggshells here for spoiler reasons, but follows just like certain characters who are heretics, who are going against the dogma of the Sisterhood.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: I think what's intriguing about heretics in that late stuff. And another thing that I really find myself like grasping for in the show and not quite finding is that paranoia and the way that those books depict conspiracy as a tightly held secret that is like a missing piece in a lot of interesting questions like why is this decision made? Why is this decision made? I think one of the things that I think this is a note too many people know what the Sisterhood is up to. Within the Sisterhood, I think it's even down to like the lowly acolytes, they all know, yeah, we've got to have that just be like Tula Vallia and like maybe one other person and that's it. There's too many of these meetings where sisters from the other lands, right, are like, oh, yeah, we've got to keep the scheme going. It's like they shouldn't not everybody should know about it. Yeah, and I think that's what's cool about those later books, is like how it depicts, yes, how you would need to put a conspiracy into motion within these larger guild structures in order for it to be effective. And I think that's one of the things I wish some of the sisters didn't know what the fuck was going on. I wish they were yeah, more in the dark than they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in fact, in Heretics it's actually this is one of the things Frank made explicit in the book.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Compartmentalization is like how the Sisterhood runs, right, and they will have parallel schemes, like two sisters will be scheming toward a thing, not knowing that the other sisters also scheming toward that same thing. They will have just like backup sisters doing backup plans just in case plans A and B fall through, and so it is very like need to know. But there is even in those books this, well, the Mother Superior told me to do this, so I'm going to do it. I don't really know why I'm doing this, but sisterhood above all. Yeah, Okay, let's get back to our recap and back to this episode.
Speaker 4: Well, this is I just want to say, this is actually very good place to come back to it because we're talking about that difference between sisterhood of Bubble and the clear drive of the Hearkenings to get back what they wanted, and we joined back at a place where that is big reveal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the big reveal of this episode. We're back with the bowl hunting trip back with young Tula and Or, and our guy Or is smitten.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's so in love, drops.
Speaker 1: To his knees. It hasn't even been a year. I mean, I guess if you know, you know. But he proposes. He proposes to Tula and starts envisioning their beautiful future life together, which is got to be rough on Tula. They have sex, So we're now three for three on to have episodes and sex scenes, got to have it and the tradees outside. By this time we learned that they are a trades because they're chanting their name. They are performing some sort of hunting ritual outside.
Speaker 3: They love those bulls, love those bulls.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Tula the next morning reveals to Or the truth of her name. She is not Tula Veil, she is Tula Harkenin and to his credit. Or takes this really well. He's quite compassionate, he's understanding.
Speaker 4: He's like, I'm sick of this centuries old feud. Yeah, we don't need that. I'm in love with you, and this has been a great night.
Speaker 2: Nothing could go wrong. Like from here we can maybe bring our families together. This is gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's really I mean, this was one of my favorite moments in the episode because it is like quite poignant stuff about like how feuds and especially like old feuds that are just like they feed on myth at some point, like you don't even remember what the fuck we're fighting about anymore. We just know we're supposed to fight each other.
Speaker 4: And especially for the younger generations, it's essentially irrelevant.
Speaker 1: You're so distant from that exactly. Yeah, it doesn't affect you at all. So Or has this space to be like, who cares about this feud? Yeah, it shouldn't define our future. Here's the healthy way we should move forward from this. But obviously Tula, for her, the feud is like more present, like she just lost her brother, I don't know, six months, a year ago, whatever the timeline is. So for her, the feud is happening right now. It's not a thing that happened one hundred years ago. And we see that she has actually it's actually too late. She has taken the step of poisoning all of the trades outside with the soup.
Speaker 2: And I like this. She was like, look at me, poison.
Speaker 4: You a hole?
Speaker 2: Suspicious at all?
Speaker 3: Where did I come from?
Speaker 2: Who am I? You know?
Speaker 3: How did I stow up here?
Speaker 2: Questions?
Speaker 4: Also, can I just say, if we're talking about Game of Thrones, this is very red wedding.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yes, I mean red Betting, red betting.
Speaker 1: Oh well, poor Or also gets a gomjabar to the neck, essentially tula, which I do think she is genuinely heartbroken I don't think those tears are fake in any way. She's genuinely heartbroken by this. But she is trapped in her trauma and in this feud and in her grief over her brother, I think. And so she kills Or. But she does let that young boy from earlier get away, and I have a feeling he might come back. We really lingered on him along.
Speaker 2: I feel like that was a bad choice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on like a you know, a strategic level, Like I understand the moral choice, but I feel like that boy is gonna come back and that's gonna bite you in the gomjaba.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can't let Grover Tully escape play exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: We then returned to Wallach nine. We see that Valia has now begun to thrive under Raquella's wing. She's been taken into Raquella's confidence and is in fact, at this point boasting to her friends that she's too much.
Speaker 3: She's next to line baby bas too motel anybody, but it's me, Mabe, I got it.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm like I understand that they're setting it out pare of as well of Fahya and Tula and the two different sides, but also like I feel like Tula's she's like a real one. Oh yeah, it comes to what she has to get done, We'll go out and get it done.
Speaker 2: Valia is all voice, all tall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, like she's out here and she's just like, I'm gonna be in line to be mother superior.
Speaker 2: Like, don't tell anyone. I'm like, babe, slap ha, this is a bad boy.
Speaker 3: I know she's it's too much. She's got she does lean on the voice Regina.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to be fair. Her friends take it quite well. I don't know if one of you compelled me to slap someone.
Speaker 4: They're like, they seem started like you'd be like, guys, that's fucked.
Speaker 3: Up, Like that fucked up? What did you just do? They're like, oh, stop, please show us.
Speaker 2: I want to know how to slap someone with my mind.
Speaker 3: Show me the voice, please.
Speaker 1: I feel like I can't wait to compel people against their will to do stuff. Show me how to do that. But her girlfriends at school are very excited to learn the voice, and Raquella is riding a high. She's gonna she's definitely in the inner inner circle with Mother Kella. At this point, we then cut to the agony chamber that we saw from the last episode Fine. Mother Rackuella is preparing to perform another agony, this time with dorote on one side and Valia on the other. Clearly the two potential successors, right, it's we're setting the stage. These are the two that will potentially be Mother superior after me. At the last second, though Volia chickens out, she backs out, doesn't want to do the agony, runs out of the room. Dorotea does seemingly go through with it. After this, Riquella has another one on one with Voalia and she's clearly pissed. I think she clearly did want Valia to rise to the occasion and be the next Mother Superior, but now her star pupil has shown her true colors, and Rickuella gives her an ultimatum. I'm going to give you a pass a weekend past to go back to Lankaville, figure your family shit out, get rid of this baggage that's holding you back from rising to the occasion, and come back a reverend mother or not at all. Here's the point, and that.
Speaker 2: Could kill you, by the way, hey guy.
Speaker 1: So with that ultimatum in minds, Folia goes back to Lakeville. She talks to her sister Tula informs her that the job is done. Both of them are clearly emotional about it. And Tula, I think, is she's clearly like the good cop you know from the sisters, We're getting like a very good cop, bad cop energy and Tula even.
Speaker 2: Though she just committed like a mathmader, totally.
Speaker 3: A complete mass murder based on well, I mean, they do say that the Treades killed one of their family members first, and also there's the issue of the bad PR related to the Butleria Geehi that continues to hang over the family that said killing like a mass murder. I feel like it is also bad PR. But let's neither hear nor there.
Speaker 2: Like the Hockins do just.
Speaker 4: Have bad vibes as well, Like I feel like the show is not dispelling the Hawk but.
Speaker 3: Is not at all dispelling the notion that the Hearkens are bad.
Speaker 1: No, not at all, I will say, though. Her family quite upset. They're like, no, love, did you commit mass murder because your sister told you to?
Speaker 2: What? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And they're annoyed. They're annoyed that Valia's back. A tense confrontation takes place between Valia and her mother, and once again to Jason's point, we're leaning on the voice quite a bit. Valia she does the whole take out your knife thing in a tense moment with her mother, wild but is able to walk out of the room before it gets to the stabbing stage.
Speaker 4: Also, I do find this again very interesting setting up, Like Tula is more willing to do dirty what needs to be done, but Valia is she doesn't want to do the dirty work. And also she is finding that split from her family and more towards that sisterhood, whereas Tula like, she won't do it, yeah if you tell us she needs to do it, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Which we to be fair, I think we saw in the last episode she can convinced a child to do a thing that was clearly going to lead to her death, and so Tula did make that tough choice there mm hm. After this confrontation with the mother, this pushes value over the edge. She's ready to break ties with her family and she goes out to the point I believe where she was talking to Griffin earlier and takes the Russick poison, undergoes the agony solo dola, which, to be fair, law wise, that is tough. That is difficult. Nobody does that on their own. To do it in a controlled environment with your sisters around you to support you, that in and of itself is nearly impossible. So to do it alone out in the wild, it's pretty bold. She does survive the agony thanks to Tula arriving and and what I thought was actually quite a beautiful moment, she follows her sister's voice like out of the agony and is able to awaken.
Speaker 4: I thought that was very cool, and I also felt like that gave us some insight into how people survive the agony at all.
Speaker 2: It is to do it that sisterhood.
Speaker 4: And that knowing that you're not alone in it, kind of like what you said about the Rossac poison, like doing it by yourself.
Speaker 2: A good moment between the two of them.
Speaker 1: I agree, and the sisters both decide that they're ready for a new life. They're going to return to Wallach nine together. I guess Tula just gets admission because her sister's already at the school.
Speaker 3: The legacy is the legacy. A lot of elite universities do the exact same.
Speaker 2: Thing, colleges, a lot of the great colleges.
Speaker 1: And they make the promise to each other that this will be a fresh start for them. We're leaving this family baggage behind and with our new family now, the sisterhood. We then cut back to the present day to wrap up this episode. The accolytes gather to say goodbye to Lilah. In a ceremony that gets quite tense. Sister Jen calls out Tula basically for being complicit in Lila's death. Here, she questions what the purpose of any of this was wasn't even helpful at all? What was this sacrifice for? Sister reveal it to be fair, jumps in to support Tula. I did like seeing the elder sisters support each other in this way. H After the sisters say they're goodbyes, Tula takes those things off of Lila's temples, seemingly ending her life, which we'll find out very shortly it is untrue. But real quick, we cut back to Selucia Secundus, and Volia does what every millennial had to do when they lost their job in the pandemic. We turn home and ask for help from mom and dad.
Speaker 2: Who knew this would be so relatable.
Speaker 3: By the way, will whale planet looking good.
Speaker 2: Looks like things that crab? Well, then I'm like, maybe.
Speaker 3: Things have gotten better on whale work.
Speaker 4: Maybe you guys made the wrong choice because it's looking kind of nice.
Speaker 1: It's not a cushy job, but it's a lucrative one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Perhaps.
Speaker 1: We cut back to wallach Nin and Tula for our final scene of the episode. A big reveal here. We learned that Tula has secretly put Lila in a spice bocta tank, basically and they're in this genetic archive room, which we've been hinting at this whole show. We finally see it from the inside. Final she speaks to an AI which the subtitles told us is named Annul, and the camera pants out and we see all of this forbidden technology and AI stuff in this room here, and then we cut to credits.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have another question for you before we cut to ask nice, is that canon to the Sisterhood of June book?
Speaker 2: Do this?
Speaker 4: Have the sisters always been using Butlerrian technology.
Speaker 3: PlayStations and xboxes?
Speaker 4: Exactly have they been playing Animal Crossing on the switch?
Speaker 2: You can tell us the answer after a message from our sponsors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're back aboo reveal the truth about Yeah, the Benny Jesuit.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, the truth is that Riquella's Animal Crossing Island was fire, the decorations were amazing.
Speaker 2: She was hosting meet ups for the other sisters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, Tom owed her money. That's how good she was at Animal Crossing. Yes, they've been using technology like this secretly since their conception. Basically, they've been breaking the restrictions of the Butler range had since day one. Oh wow, So this is Gannon. Yes, this is in the books. It's in the prequel books. It's actually in Frank Kerbert's books as well. We learn it all the way in book five again Heretics of Doune, we learned that the sisters have for their breeding program have been using computers. Do you calculate all of that and do all their scheming?
Speaker 3: I absolutely love it? Okay, what do we think of this show?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Three episodes in let us discuss now a Boot as the law master. Yeah, where are we with this?
Speaker 1: Man? I am mixed? Yeah, we are three episodes into a six episode season, which is scary because I feel like we have still not found our footing. When we are halfway through a first season, I think I will say to maybe start with things I liked. I thought the writing of this episode better than the first two. Less like exposition, heavy, less relying on just like plot Domino's falling, so the next plot Domino can fall. I think we got some good emotional stakes and a nice emotional journey for our sisters. We finally have an answer to who our main characters are Tula Vallia. We get a little bit of a sense of like these are maybe the people we can cheer for or against and be emotionally invested in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just gonna say, does anyone feel I feel like this could have been the first episode?
Speaker 2: Yes, I feel like it. I feel like it would have been cool. The show is called Sister of June.
Speaker 4: I think it would have been interesting to get to know these characters and their life and see that what led them to the Banny Jesuit. I also did like to see more Dorotea stuff. Yeah, I always like to see U popop because I think that I didn't love that opening kind of way we open and introduce Vallia.
Speaker 2: And kill Dorotea.
Speaker 4: But sorry, I boo go on because I do think this is not a perfect episode, but I do feel like it gave me so much more insights to who these characters were before we start their journey.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and in fact, I'm glad you brought that up, Rosi, because honestly, my big takeaway walking away from this episode was I like this one a lot, and I would have preferred it earlier, Like I almost would have shuffled the episode orders around a little bit with it, And obviously that requires some like resequencing of scenes to make things make sense whatever, But this emotional core of Volia Tula, I need it earlier. So the rest of what's happening in the Palace with Carino and Kira, Natred's and whatever, all of that has much more weight to it once I understand, yeah, what it means to Tula and Valia. So I'm mixed on the show. I'm obviously as a Dune fan, I'm going to see it through to the end. I'm still trying to let the show tell me its story. Maybe there's some incredible stuff to come in four five and six. I like things in isolation. I like certain scenes, I like certain lore things they're dipping into. But it's still the larger picture is still a bit rough around the edges from me. What about you too?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jason, you had some good notes. How about you? How are you feeling halfway through the season.
Speaker 3: I'm basically the same as a boot I think that there is a good show here, and I think that I am actually quite hopeful that it will emerge as the momentum of the story takes hold and we have to commit to a timeline. Yes, I think that for me, it's two flashback laden and I feel like we'll move past that, you know. I think that the stuff that's happening, for instance, in the present timeline with the Riches's and the wedding Chesy is the wedding that's fallen apart this mysterious visitor from Iracus. That to me is like really meaty stuff. And I think, like, all of the here's how the sisterhood happened, here's how value Atulia got there. Despite the fact that I think the emotional stuff from this episode, which was a lot of the flashback material, was really median good, I'm less interested in this stuff that happened in the past and more interested in this current timeline, which I thought is really interesting. And I feel and I'm missing the momentum of that now that we've spent so much time away from it. Like we got some of this like crazy stuff happening and the death of the Duke of Chesy Sun and the mystery of the mirroring deaths by fire that is seemingly Desmond Hart has managed to and gender and so like what does that mean? And it feels strange to me to like step backwards and do that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I think about, hypothetically, reordering the episodes. Yeah, because I feel like there's a version where this doesn't feel like a flashback. It feels like an introduction and then your on Wallock nine, Boom, here's where we are now.
Speaker 2: Because you're right, when you do think about that first episode.
Speaker 4: Now, all the wild stuff that they set in place, it does seem.
Speaker 2: Mad to move away from that momentum. Yeah, I don't know. I like any show that's about wheeling and dealing.
Speaker 4: And yeah, prophecies and all that, so it's enjoyable. But I do think the funny thing is about the show. I think if we were still living in the era of like a Riverdale, right, which obviously this show would not have such fantastic production value. But if this show is gonna have twenty four episodes, I'd be like, hey, we're off the kind of a good start, enough dig into that. If it was old school, I would be like, I think that by the end we could be coming out with one of the best finales of the year.
Speaker 3: But six episodes exactly, even if the six episodes is like the Gombar hanging over the next.
Speaker 4: Exactly, even if there's three fantastic episodes, I don't know if they're going to be able to tie it up in a bow or leave us in a place where we feel like the things we need to be answered have been answered. And also, I guess in a show that is a prequel but is also jumping around timelines, but is also connected to two movies, I also think a show that this has to almost prove it existence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why does it exist?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I was going to say. Like, I'm no TV producer, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass here, But like, as someone who covers the industry a lot, I understand that there's maybe a multi season plan. But to get to the second and third season and get the checks to make the rest of your show, you do have to really prove yourself in the first season. We live in a media landscape where it just has to be banger after banger after banker. You know, you cannot wait, yees.
Speaker 2: Streaming does not allow. But the first season that doesn't deliver anymore.
Speaker 1: It doesn't allow for that. You know, we don't live in a world where like Parks and Rext, season one can be like trash. But it's okay.
Speaker 2: Because season four is iconic.
Speaker 1: Right, You'll get the runway to be iconic eventually, you have to be iconic now. And I'm worried this show is improving itself in that way.
Speaker 2: To that end.
Speaker 3: And I know I mentioned this before, but I feel like the missed opportunity to this point, and it may emerge. I think it could emerge, the missed opportunity to meet at this point in terms of bringing out like the central character of the Dune universe as it exists in the films and in the books is that we've got the machinations and the kind of chess moves, but there's like a deeper level of paranoia that to me is done. That's done to me is there's pieces moving, but I don't know why, and I don't know why these people are doing this, and I'm not sure that they know why they are carrying out the conspiracy also, And I know it sounds like a small thing when I'm like, too many sisters know what's going on, but I really feel like that's I wish the information was more tightly held in this show, and that even Volia would not be sure like I don't know why, I'm I don't quite know why we're doing it this way, but I feel like we have to, and I feel like if they could drill down into that paranoia more, then you have a I think, a really interesting show, because what you have is the sisterhood that is somehow managed despite the fact that the people involved in the sisterhood are from famous families that are competing, and yet you have a Harconen next to the emperor. You have like all of these figures from other families getting to advise other families, and yet the intersecting lines of why that might not be a good idea or somehow like papered over. I wish that stuff would come more to the surface and the questions about can we trust this group? Yes, you can trust them because they have given us these assurances and they but what do we think of these assurances? And I wish those kind of conversations were more at the forefront. And I think if you had those things at the forefront, we wouldn't have to like spend time flashing back to why did Voluntelia come here and what are the things that happened? Like, I think you could get lost in this paranoia. That, to me, again is what Doune is about. Dune is about political machinations and not knowing what people's intentions are and to end this story as it exists. Too many people know what the story is. Yeah, is just too much that is known throughout the story.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about how cool it would be if this had been like edited or told like a conspiracy thriller, because I feel like, when you watch this show, it has that stoic, slow moving Game of Thrones vibe, but one, we only have six episodes, and also it's not Game of Thrones. Having that paranoia, that conspiracy element would have brought a tone to it that would have maybe been a little bit more gripping or a little bit more of a given you more of a feeling when you watch it, other than being like, oh, this obviously costs a lot of money. It looks good, but I don't feel like it necessarily gives you that. Think about the Red Wedding, like the dread in the lead up to the reveal is so huge in yourself and do those movies. There are multiple times in those films where I feel like deeply unsettled, and it is rare for me to be enraptured in like an emotion like that. While I watched this show, and it would have been really cool if the emotion had been paranoia or fear or yeah, some kind of insight into what the women involved in this field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And just to quickly talk about your observation, Rosie, like of the six episodes versus twenty four Old School twenty four, I think one of the ways this pops up is that, I mean, as a Boo noted and as you noted in wanting this episode to be the first episode, it's because it sets the emotional stakes for our characters. Is that too many times thus far in these three episodes, it's been character doing something and then the reveal of why, what the emotional motivation for that happens much later, way too later, And I think we need to just I think those things need to be flipped. I need to understand what the character wants, what is the want, what is the why are you doing this stuff? And then let the pieces fall into place and you understand, you know, you could set up the actions later. And so that to me is just like a weird that feels like something you do if you add twenty four episodes instead of six. But I do feel like I feel like there's a good show here still if it has not yet emerged.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's got the pieces for a good show. I would just like to see them yet. Yeah, a little bit shaken around before they're put back on the chest board.
Speaker 2: And we do know this show had a.
Speaker 4: Lot of production issues as well, which I also think is often why maybe it feels a little bit chopped up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm interested to see where it goes. We're halfway in.
Speaker 4: Who knows, maybe the second half of that season is NonStop bangers. Maybe it's the non stop bangers we need, I hope.
Speaker 1: So Okay, to round out today's episode, I'm just going to very quickly run through some lower Easter eggs from this episode. This is not a comprehensive list, but just some of the ones that stood out to me. Starting with fur whales. Let's talk about our furry friends here for a second. These are canonical. They exist in the book. They're sometimes referred to as John Dax, but more commonly they're just referred to as for we just literally fur whales, thank you. We're told from the books that the fur whales are quite dangerous, especially when they're being hunted. They are majestic creatures and quote dive deep into cold waters and escape, or they could turn on a pursuing boat an inflict serious damage end quote. So will hunting a pretty tough gig. I think we also see whale fers mentioned in the original Dune as well, not just the Brian Herbert prequel novels. Duke Lato in the very first book actually, when he's explaining to Paul what chom is and how the economy of the Imperium works, mentions that whalefer is one of the more sought after commodities that is bought and sold. And in the appendices actually we get this quote that explains the canonical hearken in Whalefer connection. Quote. The return of house hearken In to power generally is ascribed to adroit manipulation of the whale fer market and later a consolidation with Milange whale from Aracus end quote. As we saw in the vill Nuff films, they have a Racus.
Speaker 2: By that way, whale canning, whale world.
Speaker 1: It's all cannon and that's where the money's at. Move your money from crypto into whalefer. Okay, next up, I'm not going to say too much about this because I want to not get into potential spoiler territory that might come up in the show itself. But we've heard Vori to trades a number of times now, and we learned today that he allegedly killed Griffin Harkinen and we get throwaway lines about this guy. He's still very elusive. People are just mentioning him. He has apparently showed up after disappearing for a while. We learn I think actually Bobby b tells us that a little bit of information, and this is true. In the book, there's a lot of chapters from Vorian's perspective. He's like exiled himself after the war basically to go live a life of peace, and then is pulled back in for one more gig or whatever. I don't want to say too much because we might see some of that in the show, but super long Vorian story short. Basically, in the book, Griffin is not killed by Vorian and is killed through a series of other random events. And so that's why I keep saying allegedly killed by Vorian on today's episode, because if we are sticking to book, there may be a reveal to come that something else actually happened, and it wasn't at the hands of Orian Atradees that was.
Speaker 4: My guy anyway, especially with what to how hard Tula went afterwards, I felt, yes, that would end up being yes regreted.
Speaker 1: So canonically in the book, something different does happen, and I'm not gonna say what. Maybe the show will get there on its own in the next few episodes. The last quick little bit of lare I wanted to call out is for folks who have seen the Villa films, we know that iconic knife salute that Duncan Idaho and paul A trades due to each other, and it was cool. It's like a blink blink and you'll miss it moment, But when the Atrades are around the fire and doing the body paint, they are also doing that forehead salute to each other. So I thought that was a nice little touch and another connection to vill Love's films, connecting the treats. So there's a little bit of lor today.
Speaker 2: Thanks the br Thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Not a problem. On tomorrow's episode of X Ray Vision, you two are going to be going through your twenty twenty four books and comics round up the best of the year. Best year, I am very much looking forward to that, but that's it for today's episode. Jason, Rosie, thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 3: Always a blast, Thanks for having us, Bye bye bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kensumsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discoord moderator.