Speaker 1: Smell us Now, lady, Welcome to meat Eater Trivia mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to meat Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time on August twenty ninth and word live from Meat Eater HQ and Bozeman, Montana. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, joined by Giannis Putellis and Randa Williams. On today's show, we're talking to doctor Seth walk about using donkeys for backcountry hunting. Then we'll discuss Liam Neeson's twenty eleven thriller The Gray for Meat Eater's movie Club. After that, we'll give Seth Morris one minute to catch a fish from the meat Eater pond, followed by a chettiquette about having babies and killing elk. Then we'll call Tyler Johnson, the man who accidentally shot himself during a grizzly attack. And finally we'll discuss the top three states we'd like to own a hunting property in. Yanni Randall, Welcome boys. It felt like fall was in the air this morning.
Speaker 3: Feels good. Snow on the mountains yesterday.
Speaker 2: Oh, is it the first time this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah? First time since probably May?
Speaker 2: First time?
Speaker 1: Okay you saw snow?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good to hear.
Speaker 5: It melt it off by the afternoon, but boy, it was an encouraging sign.
Speaker 1: It was chilly enough that when I was getting my morning arrows in, I had to put on a hoodie.
Speaker 2: Oh oh well, black hoodie Yanni, which I'm told is available in the First Light store next week. I feel like we've been begging First Light to make black stuff for years and they're doing it next week, and egg on our face. All three of us wore the black First Light thing today.
Speaker 1: Oh that's because there was an email that said, please please tease the black and this is what we're doing, like to wear black.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm Lawrence Fishburn and the Matrix.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, when all three of you are wearing it, it's not so much to tease. It's like kind of a slap in the face.
Speaker 7: Yea.
Speaker 2: Now, in just a minute, we're gonna be going to doctor Walk. But Johannis tell us what we should know about doctor Seth Walk before we get him on the phone.
Speaker 1: Sure, Seth and I actually met in a suburban driving up to the start of the bridger Ridge Run three years ago, when Maggie drove us up there to the start, it's a long drive all the way up to Fairy Lake there and uh so we start being the suburban, there's like eight people crammed in there chit chat, and some dude in the back He's like, yeah, man, I hunt the backcountry with donkeys and those things are badass and I'll put them up against anyone stock you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, what now? And so anyways, we've become friends in the past three years, and uh I sort of invited myself on a backcountry elk hunt where we could uh sort of film and uh see it what's all about hunting with donkeys? And uh I Also one more thing I'm gonna tell you about Seth because he's too humble to tell you about this. He's had a program deal with himself. He wanted to kill an elk ten years in a row, all on public land in Montana with his bow and never hunt the same spot more than three times in a row. Wow, and doing it on hard mode. He's he's done it now eleven years in a row.
Speaker 6: Dang.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, So, like I said, I'm like, that's probably a good guy to know. So anyways, let's talk. Let's let's talk to Seth and is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where do you go from there? After eleven years in a row? Now, doctor Seth, welcome to the show. Tell us where you're standing today.
Speaker 4: I guys, thanks for having me. Yeah, I'm outside of outside of.
Speaker 8: Bozeman at my friends Frank and Aaron's ranch and they're they pasture my my donkeys for me in the summer.
Speaker 2: Now the donkeys thing, tell me, like why donkeys over mules or horses or lamas.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, that's a great question. I think the first thing was I got a pretty sweet deal in the first two that I got. They're pretty cool compared to horses, so uh yeah, we were doing things on a shoe string budget and anyway, I ended up with four donkeys for like two hundred bucks. So you can't be those but looking at us, think like how they perform? Man, they are just they are hearty animals. They can eat almost anything and survive. They're real resistant to diseases that horses get. And uh yeah, they can carry up to twenty five percent of their body weight, where horses are kind of in the teens sound pounds.
Speaker 2: Twenty means what for these donkeys that you have?
Speaker 8: So like a five hundred pound donkey. That's one hundred pounds on your back, and that's that's.
Speaker 4: A safe Carrie.
Speaker 8: There was a study out in a journal that I read when they looked at donkeys over in country where donkeys are used traditionally, like Pakistan, and almost ninety percent of those donkeys were packing like fifty percent.
Speaker 4: Of their body weight.
Speaker 8: So once these animals get conditioned and they're used to the country, well, they can carry a house.
Speaker 2: And you're prepping these donkeys today for the upcoming haunt with Giannis. What does that mean though? What is prepping a donkey weeks in advance even look like?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean their training really starts early, you know, whenever the weather breaks. And we've been going on walks just around the pasture, making sure everybody knows each other.
Speaker 4: We just picked up our fourth in.
Speaker 8: May, so I was really concerned about how she was going to walk, where in the pack string she was going to feel comfortable. We have a young one, she's only two years old and she's just a donkey in training, So just figuring it all out so that happens, you know, for weeks, but today, you know, I'm just gonna go back over their hooves. Make sure that their hooves are nice and trim, there's no cracks, and then do a little saddle work. Make sure the leather's good. We did lose a one of our straps on the saddle. I'll show you guys here in a minute on our trip, so I'm going.
Speaker 4: To replace that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, put a little more cushion on the paths where they need. Just make sure they're comfortable. If they're comfortable, man, they'll work all day for you.
Speaker 1: All right. Introduce us to the to the girls, and then show us show us what you're doing with the uh with the saddle.
Speaker 4: All right, let me change this around. Can y'all see that?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 8: So yeah, these are the girls. They they usually pasture down down yonder over there, and when I come in with some treats, they come running up here and I get them haldered up.
Speaker 4: And put them on the fence here.
Speaker 8: This galo is our first she's her name's Dottie, and she's just a lover.
Speaker 4: She's about fifteen.
Speaker 8: Years old, and yeah, she's a gentle giant. This is her daughter, just born two years two years ago in August.
Speaker 4: Her name's Delta Donn. After the Tanna Tucker song.
Speaker 8: She came from, like I said, Dottie is her mom, and she came from a pretty big jack. So we were hoping to get a little bit more size. But she's gonna end up looking like just like her mom, which is fine.
Speaker 1: On the next On the next one, Seth, get us a close up of Denver's face and the ears. Yeah, is that really?
Speaker 9: That?
Speaker 1: Really? That really makes a donkey?
Speaker 4: You can't beat easy.
Speaker 8: Her mug is just so cute, very cute.
Speaker 2: Indeed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how long is a donkey's ear? I mean those things have got to be ten inches, not quite a foot right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Have some technical difficulties on cell phone signals.
Speaker 2: I think we are losing, doctor Seth, but I feel satisfied. I learned a lot about donkeys there. I was gonna hit him with some trivia before we went. I was going to ask him what a group of donkeys is called? So I'll ask you two instead. Do you know what a group of donkeys is called? No, there are four acceptable terms. You gotta guess a group of donkeys group of donkeys. We were looking at a whole collection of donkeys there, and I was wondering what that was calling so.
Speaker 1: I googled my guest will be heard heard is one of the four.
Speaker 6: This looks like sets the back has got a stronger signal. We can try to bring it back in for a little bit longer.
Speaker 1: Sor right, let's let I want to see what he's doing with those saddles. All right, seth, we got you again?
Speaker 4: Oh sorry about that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, which guys said, do you want to hear some about the saddles?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well just show us what's going. Yeah, are you just making adjustments? Yeah?
Speaker 8: So one thing that I look for, say, with this britch and in the back here is how it's riding on the animal.
Speaker 4: And hopefully you can see.
Speaker 8: Here that her her hair's getting a little rubbed off here. It's not breaking the skin or anything, but you can imagine that going downhill, this is really putting pressure on her leg. And so what I'm gonna do is try to make that a little more comfortable. I have this nice I'm going to cut some strips on that just glued on that strap, and see if I can't make that a little more comfortable.
Speaker 4: For we lost a lot ago for two reasons.
Speaker 8: Number one, as you can tell here, they really enjoy chewing on leather, so if you're not careful, they'll just chew it off.
Speaker 1: And for those of you that don't know, is the one that goes under their belly, right.
Speaker 8: Yep, yeah, that's right. But the other reason why this one isn't long enough anymore?
Speaker 4: I don't know if you can see this right here? This is pudge. That's donkey page.
Speaker 8: She was just eating a lot of hay this year, so she grew a little bit in the belly. So we'll fix that up. I have another ladder go here on the fence. I can just use that to replace it, and then.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get you out of here in just a second. We got one last question though, before you go. Do you know what a group of donkeys is called? You got a whole fleet of them there. They're not called a fleet. But do you know what a group of donkeys is called?
Speaker 4: Oh? Boy, I call him a herd, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, herd is one of the four acceptable terms. The other are cowfel pace, and drove, So that one's for free. Set you go ahead and use that. You'll sound like a professional donkey man when you call them a drove or a car. Awful of donkeys, Doctor Walk, thanks for joining us. Keep Youannie safe in the back country, and good luck on that out well.
Speaker 1: Hopefully we'll be putting some elk meat on their backs here in about nine days.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, I look forward to it, all right.
Speaker 1: Thanks sat Thank.
Speaker 2: You, Joanna. You're gonna kill an elk when you're out there, you think? Oh yeah, and is this a spot that he has been to in his in years?
Speaker 1: Okay, brand new new country. But we scouted it a little bit this past weekend and uh we had saw some good sign.
Speaker 2: Okay, and maybe maybe we'll get a report on a future med Eater radio on how that one goes down.
Speaker 1: That could be we have cell service in there.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, No, Now, the next thing we're doing is a segment that I've been looking forward to all week, and that's Meat Eater Movie Club.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, Oh that's nice, Phil, thank you, thank you for that. Of course, today we will be discussing Joe Carnahan's twenty eleven film The Gray, a harrowing tale of survival set against the unforgiving Alaskan wilderness. Liam Neeson stars as John Otway, who is among a group of oil field workers stranded after a plane crash. In addition to the brutal cold and relentless wind, the men must also contend with a pack of ferocious wolves hell bent on killing each and every one of them. On the surface, the Gray appears to be a classic survival thriller of the man versus nature variety. It quickly transforms, however, into a profound meditation on life, death, faith, and the resilience of the human spirit. The bleak, snow covered setting serves as both a menacing danger to the craft survivors as well as a metaphorical canvas for their internal struggles.
Speaker 3: And I'll wrap up here quickly.
Speaker 5: Nissan delivers a powerful performance as Otway, a hardened wolf hunter grappling with his tragic past while shepherding the other men in their flight excuse me, in their fight to endure. The film's unflinching examination of profound themes and its philosophical undertones elevated above the typical blockbuster fair, inviting viewers to contemplate their own finite existence, the meaninglessness of human suffering, and what it truly means to live in the face of inevitable death.
Speaker 2: Wow, now what I would like our listeners to know who aren't watching this is that Randall wrote that all out on a legal pad, and he has what appears to be about six pages of notes for our movie club discussion on the Gray.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, Spencer and I have I have a factoid here that I asked you guys not to research this film in advance of our conversation. So according to newspaper newspaper reports that were also published in Outdoor Life, the movie's crew obtained four wolf carcasses in advance of production from a trapper named Dick mcdeermod, a local of Smithers, BC, where the movie was filmed. Two of the dead wolves were used as props and two were eaten by the cast as part of a pre shoot bonding experience.
Speaker 3: Wow, no shit, yep ye.
Speaker 2: Do you think it worked? Did that feel like a bonded cast that you were watching?
Speaker 5: So the the reports that I saw, they were given a choice of wolf stew or some sort of meat on the bone, and nearly everyone vomited, except for Liam Neeson.
Speaker 3: He said he went back for seconds of the stew.
Speaker 2: It could not have been that bad to be worthy of vomiting.
Speaker 5: As they say in the film, Spencer, it tastes like dog shit.
Speaker 1: Randall's they vomited after eating it, yes, yes, as opposed to before a reaction. They're like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now Randall is going to lead the movie club discussion for today, so he just gave us the plot. Where do we go to from here?
Speaker 5: I would be curious just for your initial reactions, and Phil, please free to feel free to chime in.
Speaker 3: I know that you also have screened this, so just thoughts.
Speaker 2: My thoughts. I had low expectations and it barely cleared them. You know, this is not like a movie that I need to see again. I would say those are my initial quick thing.
Speaker 6: YEP.
Speaker 1: I can wrap it up with this one sentence right here. Jennifer was pissed that she had to watch it.
Speaker 2: You know what, I could have had the same sentence, but just swap out Jennifer for Shelby. She wandered in the room a few times, and she's like, this movie's not for me.
Speaker 1: She actually was started being like, hold on, has this guy made any good movies? Are all his.
Speaker 5: Movies Schindler's List? I have a note here from Sydney. She said, Are we sure this movie isn't just about Liam Neeson collecting wallets.
Speaker 6: I have the exact same note. One of the last things I wrote was, let's see a man discovers he has a wallet collecting fetish.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's.
Speaker 5: Good, all right, So quickly, I'm curious from the perspective to put a mediator spin on this, from the perspective of an experienced hunter or angler, was there any part of this film that was authentic to you? Authentic?
Speaker 2: Four things here that I thought they got right. The lighting and night was very good. I feel like movies are too eager to have nighttime in the wilderness be portrayed as though there's like street lamps everywhere and you can just like see, you know, a thousand yards And sometimes it's like that a few nights a year it's like that, especially when there's snow on the ground, but often it's not. And I feel like fictional nighttime scenes in the woods are often way too bright. This movie didn't do that. They made it good and dark, and I thought the lighting around the campfires was fine.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a few scenes where they could have easily when they're like finally get to the forest and they're kind of in that hole and they're looking up the hill where they can hear the sounds. They could have easily lit it up and shown the big monster on top of the hill, but they chose not to just left it dark. And yeah, there's a lot.
Speaker 6: Of film grain. You could tell this movie was shot on films. Yeah, so's it's a lot darker and more gritty than movies are made these days. I mean like visually, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Next next thing I thought they got right when the as I think think it was Diaz was cutting the head off the wolf, I was like, oh, that that knife work looks like what would happen when you're cutting the head off the wolf? And I've now learned that that was probably one of the four wolf carcass See.
Speaker 5: I had this in my inauthentic column. Oh, I thought the knife work looked good, but there wasn't enough twisting.
Speaker 1: There wasn't enough twist, enough twisting.
Speaker 2: I thought there was the right amount of struggle. Yeah, it took him like a minute to do it, and I was like, okay, yeah, for a fellow like that, that would probably take him like a minute. And the last cut of meat looked like it was cleaned through like a piece of meat, and I'm now realizing that that was probably the case because it was likely one of those four wolf.
Speaker 5: Carcasses that they had, the two that didn't get eaten.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, that that looked like someone cutting the head off of a wolf. So I'm satisfied here.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: The next thing, Liam Neeson mentions that wolves have a territory about three hundred square miles. I did some googling and that seems right specific. Yeah, so that seemed good. Here's what I like most. The first thing after the plane crash that he does is he goes through his luggage to find a stocking hat. Now, I've noticed in movies that take place in like brutal cold that they are not emphasizing that they are cold by putting on headgear as far as like a stocking hat or a face mask. Game of Thrones is the worst defender of this. They can be north of the Wall wandering through the worst blizzard that a human has ever seen, but there's not like a stocking hat or a face mask to be seen, and it's like, it's it's clearly not that cold.
Speaker 1: Are those real people? They're like fictional.
Speaker 2: There's like John snow is the worst defender. He has never worn a stocking hat in like ten seasons of that show. That's not a real stat but it sure seems like it is. So he wanted to wear a stocking hat. He was immediately cold, and he's like, I need to fix this, and he went for a stocking hat, and I thought that was good.
Speaker 5: Yep, yeo, honest, why don't you why don't you take on the question of what you found to be inauthentic?
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't get to tell you, my I just yeah, a couple of hits. I put him under hit and missus. Hits was that they used the strainer to kill somebody. And if you're familiar with what a strainer is, if you spent time on a river, that's a log that's across the river, and a lot of times the current can get you pinned up against it and you can't get out from that situation. You can get trapped. So I thought that was like, oh wow, Like it wasn't quite proper because the strainer itself wasn't what got him. It was, you know, his foot gets stuck between the rocks. But still I like that different snow conditions, Yeah, we had, you know, like cold blowing snow, powdery deep snow, and then it kind of turns into some more springtime crusty and they seem to kind of keep up with that even on their jackets. If you noticed in a couple of the later scenes they had this like almost crusty, frozen to their shoulders snow, which I thought I was thinking, like, man, that might not that might not be that easy to continuously get right, you know, through the day as you're shooting and seen last not least dirty fingernails. Oh, you know, very authentic, like when you see some close ups of Liam Neeson's hands sometimes, like, dude, those guys, that guy's hands look like he's been out in the wilderness for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: A nice touch, A nice touch. What about inauthenticity?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, My notes were five times and maybe we'll keep this too a couple I'll try to do like I said, notes were five times longer. I'll just skim in here. The day length was way off. Assuming this was winter and last year, those days should be three to six hours of daylight. They were not. They spent equal amounts of time in daylight as they did at nighttime, No way, that's that's what would be happening there. How the wolves were so audible when they attack. This is why I'm looking forward to asking our guest Tyler later, who just got attacked by grizzly? Did that grizzly come in like announcing its presence and growling and just you know, telling you at the top of its lungs, I'm a grizzly and I'm here to kill you. Because that's what the wolves did.
Speaker 6: These these are supernatural wolves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these wolves were just sort of.
Speaker 2: The eye shine, the eye shine of the wolves. It's impressive enough in real life. They didn't need to make it look like their eyes were headlamps.
Speaker 3: There was teeth shine in one.
Speaker 2: I didn't catch them. Yeah, we see elk antlers in the den, which elk are only found on four islands in Way Way Way, southern Alaska, which is not where they crashed their plane. So there's no you know, those elk were thousands of miles away from home at that point. And then, just like the the wolves in general, we now know due to modern studies, that there isn't an Alfa wolf and they have a whole thing in this movie about an alfa alfa wolf being overthrown. That's not how their hierarchy works. It's just like family groups.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And and an alpha to researchers in the forties is what we now know to just be like the mom or dad. And so that that was way off. And they made too much of the movie about some of the other wolf wanting to become the top wolf, and that like factored into.
Speaker 1: And he was the Omega wolf.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and the wolves. Last thing just how thirsty these wolves are for human blood. Since nineteen twenty two, there have been ten fatal attacks in North America from wolves. Well, this movie had half of them, You're honest.
Speaker 1: Anything to add uh, Yeah, I had a bunch of the same notes. But I'm surprised you didn't pick up on the very first one that hit me. And it was within I think five or ten minutes of the movie. Is that there's a scene where he looks at his rifle or he checks his rifle before he's packing up, and then it cuts to a box of shotgun shells.
Speaker 6: Yes, and I even I caught that, And I'm Phil, Please Phil, Phil, go to the photo. Phil, Oh, I'm sorry, hold on.
Speaker 2: After the plane crash, he goes to find that his bolt action rifle has been destroyed, and then he goes through the AMMO box just for us to three see like three shotgun shells. And I was so amused by it, I had to take a picture of it. So that was his all for his bolt action rifle right there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did pick up on it.
Speaker 2: We just don't have the time to go through everything. Everything.
Speaker 3: There was a lot.
Speaker 1: It's yeah. So on that note, they you know, they make a bang stick or supposedly by basically just electrical taping these shotgun shells to the end of a pointy stick. That's a stretch. Probably not gonna work. The torches and the fires were just like a little bit too bright, a little bit like you know, weather wasn't affecting their torches whatsoever. The logic of going to the trees to escape, yeah, they.
Speaker 6: Seemed so well. I guess not all of them were sure of it, but Liam Neeson was sure that they had to make it for the forest.
Speaker 5: Well, I my my my thought was, as soon as they crash, He's just like, they're not going to find us. We need to leave the biggest trace of our existence. Yeah, we need to leave the most visible landmark Freddy's. For sure, we need to get away from this plane, which is the exact option.
Speaker 2: And take their wallet so that when somebody does find the wreck, they're not going to know who these guys are, which is just so amazing.
Speaker 1: Really quick.
Speaker 6: What is John Otway's job? Is it to protect? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like the wildlife?
Speaker 10: Is that?
Speaker 6: Is that an actual threat?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: In real life, but they do.
Speaker 5: I mean they do have people serving in those roles in some instances. For I think it's more for polar bears and things like that.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: There there'll be a wildlife specialist at an airstrip there, but there's not a guy who's just there to gun down the wolves.
Speaker 6: As they come running into Yes, it's clear this man has a has a checkered past, possibly as like a hit man or a mercenary. I loved one of the first things he says is I don't know why I did half the things I've done, but I know this is where I belong. And I thought that that really sets the stage for who.
Speaker 1: This guy is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love I love films that have one guy who sort of knows everything and is the expert and then there's like ten other characters, and because there's nothing memorable about them, they have to always addressed one another by name. So it's just like it's just like, Bill, what did you do to John? I didn't do anything, Tim John did that himself, you know, like that's the whole movie. I think half of the dialogue was them repeating their name so you'd remember that there are characters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then half of it was f bombs.
Speaker 5: I did look up there are and I apologize for anyone who screened this and was put off by the profanity.
Speaker 3: I wasn't aware of it until we picked it.
Speaker 5: But one hundred and sixty one uses of the word in one hundred and seventeen minutes that puts you somewhere between Magic Mike and Born on the fourth of July.
Speaker 6: So, okay, not quite good fella's numbers.
Speaker 1: No, it really discredits the guy that's supposed to be the expert when all of a sudden, he's like, let's run into the forest. They'll never find us there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other thing that was a little bit of a stretch Jennifer actually picked up on this one was that their sub alpine because they're in the timber and the rotund fella I can't remember his name, but he gets altitude sickness ends up dying from it.
Speaker 6: Was that Hernandez. I can well, guys, all these memorable characters, yeah, hear it, We've got Diaz Hernando.
Speaker 1: But you just you know, like Max, you might be at five thousand feet. That's a stretch to put someone down.
Speaker 3: Guys, we could go on for a very long time.
Speaker 1: With Yes, you have ten more pages of notes, but.
Speaker 3: I think we need to wrap this up.
Speaker 5: My plan was to ask you whether or not you could recommend this around the campfire and maintain a shred of your credibility as an outdoorsman. But based on your reactions to the film, I'm not quite sure that we need more than a one word answer.
Speaker 2: I would not two out of five stars, be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one point five out of five Phil, just as just would you please just rate it as a work of cinema.
Speaker 6: I think Spencer's right on the money. This is a two out of five. But I say I was working at a movie theater and this movie came out and it was very popular. It was also a very popular movie to find a dip cups in spit cups after Wow, it's that kind of genre movie. You knew after a screening of The Gray be careful picking up cups because you might flip some up.
Speaker 5: I will say this movie actually was critically acclaimed.
Speaker 3: It was well received.
Speaker 5: But I did find one quip that I'll share with you which is less than celebratory. It says, on the downside, there's a lot of dull, pretentious flossiphizing about the heartlessness of nature and God. On the upside, you get to see a man punch a wolf in the face. Okay, that's the Gray, everybody, That is the upside.
Speaker 6: I will say one last thing that I want to say. My favorite scene in the whole movie was when Talgot is afraid of heights is climbing. This is the most preposterous scene in the movie, and I loved it. They may make like a makeshift like line to go down this for this ravine. His glasses fall off, He's terrified. He falls, slams into a tree, falls one hundred feet down, hitting every branch on the way, imagines his daughter's tickling him in the face. Immediately cuts to a bunch of wolves ripping him apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hell, the wolves cross that giant canyon. That's why I was going.
Speaker 2: Three hundred mile territory. They can be wherever you think they're not.
Speaker 1: Did it come into your minds at all that fourteen years prior to this movie coming out, there was this great movie called The Edge. They came out and it was way better. Yeah, And I could see that someone was like, let's just redo that with wolves and maybe instead of the guys you know having sex with the same woman, you know this guy, whatever, we'll chick twist off the plot a little bit.
Speaker 5: I mean, The Edge could be eligible for a future mediater movie Club.
Speaker 1: I'd much rather rewatch that.
Speaker 2: And if people have a suggestion, they should send their movie suggestion for the media to movie club, to radio at the meadeater dot com. All right, boys, we are going to move on. The next thing we are doing is a segment, a new segment called one Minute Fishing.
Speaker 3: Do I be lucky, We'll do you dunk, go ahead, make my cast.
Speaker 2: All right. One minute Fishing is where we go live to someone who's fishing and they have one minute to catch a fish, and if they're successful, we'll make a five hundred dollars donation to a Conservation group. This week our angler is Seth Morris who's at the pond behind our office and he's fishing for a donation to Trout Unlimited. Seth Morris, doctor lip Ripper, Welcome to the show and happy birthday.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You don't look at day over thirty three.
Speaker 6: Thanks Randall, I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Now, Seth, tell us about the conditions out there and how you are going to try to be successful with just one minute of fishing.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so we're out back behind the office here. I'm in a spot that I fished plenty of times before and have caught quite a few fish, usually brook trout, but we got some in twelve coming in here from a creek, a little current over there, some shade. I think that's gonna be the spot where I catch them. Hope bringers crossed and.
Speaker 2: You were scouting this morning, but you didn't make any cast because he wanted the trout to stay dumb until it got to the moment that mattered.
Speaker 8: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you? What's the lure of choice? And if like thirty seconds in are you, do you have another lure in your pocket that you might switch to? If that one's not working.
Speaker 6: No, I'm going All the eggs are in this basket right here.
Speaker 5: It's a number four, little number four spinner panther Martin. It's got a yellow body and some red dots. Silver blade. And this is to be clear for those of you who are listening. Set this fishing on the small pond behind our office. Behind him is some sort of nondescript commercial development that's out the Bozeman And we're gonna see what you can do here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is going for a trout. That's mostly what lives in there. Seth, Your one minute of fishing starts when you make your first cast. I will give you updates as you go. So go ahead and try to catch that fish.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do it. It looks like it's still cool out there, late late in the morning. Seth's got his uh black furnace hoodie for first.
Speaker 2: How many casts do you think he can get in one minute on this little pond?
Speaker 6: Five?
Speaker 3: I think yeah, okay, way more than that.
Speaker 5: Well, he is not a real aggressive retrieval he's using.
Speaker 2: He's now twenty seconds in, Seth, you have forty sevens.
Speaker 3: Ohay, he farmed it?
Speaker 1: Did he miss it?
Speaker 3: He farmed it, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Oh he missed it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh goodness, Seth. You Seth had a fish on and just sat too hard and pulled it right off his lip.
Speaker 2: Seth, you got twenty seconds to go twenty seconds.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, there goes that fishing. Seth's palms look like they're getting a little sweaty. Ten seconds, Seth fine, crystal clear video three two.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let him. Let's let him.
Speaker 6: Didn't the real sound effect next time?
Speaker 2: Well for Seth, Seth, now tell us what happened on that bite that you had.
Speaker 3: Was it a bite?
Speaker 6: Indeed?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a bite?
Speaker 11: And I just had one there on that last cast too.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You just didn't hook up.
Speaker 2: Well, it looks like you need two minutes of fishing next time. Maybe sharper hook be successful.
Speaker 3: Eat some barbes on those hooks, Seth.
Speaker 4: Oh their bar buddy, Seth.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us. We're gonna have you join us again for another one minute fishing sometime and uh yeah, you're gonna be a regular on this segment.
Speaker 6: Okay, really quick.
Speaker 1: I just saw a comment from Stephen Ranella, who must be tuned in I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's like Steve's watching.
Speaker 1: I don't know where the hell he is. He has enough time to sit here and watch this show. But Steve says, when I propose this segment, I suggested that you get a single cast, not a whole minute.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And then I took Steve's idea and I changed it to one minute fishing instead of one cast of fishing. You know what, I like this version better.
Speaker 3: He's still going, he's still going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Seth, keep fishing out there. Let us know later when you get one. Maybe maybe you can carry it right into the studio here for us, because you're only about twenty yards away.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I catch one, I'll bring it in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Okay, very happy birthday.
Speaker 6: Birthday, Seth, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: Phil.
Speaker 2: Let's get some listener feedback from the show so far.
Speaker 6: Oh boy, okay, let's see we have one from Shelby Huber. I don't know if you're aware of her, she says, I know for a fact that Spencer loves donkeys.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 6: This goes back to our segment with the other Seth, are you a fan of donkeys?
Speaker 2: Is this the thing that's as far as like, I guess equestrian things go if I were ranking them all, Yeah, maybe a donkey.
Speaker 1: Do you do you have a stuffed donkey at home?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think there's a stuffed animal in my home.
Speaker 6: Uh sorry, Karen, I can't focus on that right now. Let's see there there haven't been a lot of good comments. I gotta be honest, you guys need to step it up a little bit.
Speaker 9: But I'm just gonna say Shane Burke, who is on our podcast before Survive the Grizzly Attack uh in Wyoming said Steth forgot to say fish on when it took.
Speaker 2: That's a very good Okay, lesson learned for next time. And commenters keep leaving us some feedback and we will review them again at the end of the show.
Speaker 6: We do have a couple a couple of gray gray uh things. It's bringing talking about John Snow not wearing a hat. Their all a game of throne. That's the intensity of his gaze. That keeps I think that's true. That's that's just biology.
Speaker 3: That's a good comment.
Speaker 6: Uh Yeah. Anyway, keep keep senden in comments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, make them provocative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, move questions.
Speaker 6: Questions are better than statement.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: Moving on, our next segment is from Chester Floyd. This is Chettiquit.
Speaker 6: Oh, I've got a sounder for this here. G T you e T T E find out Bud means to me.
Speaker 1: G g T you t T take care of gg.
Speaker 3: Incredible?
Speaker 1: Oh man, no talent, it's boiling over.
Speaker 2: That was not going to be a weekly segment, but I think all of a sudden it just became one. So I can hear that sounder every time. Phil is going to play us a chettiquet that was pre recorded from our very own Chester Floyd.
Speaker 7: Hello everybody, I'm Chester Floyd, coming at you from Wisconsin, and this week's Chettiqit question comes to us from Corey. Corey writes, years ago, my co worker and his wife were expecting their first child in October. I agreed to work longer on my hitch, sacrificing hunting time to support them. A few days after birth, he sent me photos of a dead elk instead of a newborn baby. Later, I discovered he left his wife and the newborn in the hospital to hunt out of state, causing me to miss prime mule deer hunting. While trying to help him out. I would love to know your thoughts, and I'm curious as to how many others would have done the same. Wow, Corey, thank you for writing in and sounds like you're a pretty good man for doing that for your buddy. We need more guys like you looking out for others, and less guys like your buddy, who seems like a pretty selfish dude. More of the story is, I imagine your buddy knows he messed up. I mean, ultimately, what's more important your family and a newborn, a dead elk, you know, or friendship? So I think everyone knows the answer to that. The point is you don't ever leave your wife and your child in the hospital for any reason. And if you're gonna send a picture to your buddy of a dead elk, he better not be covering you on your shift for something not related to hunting at all. We'll see you next week again. I'm Chester, Floyd, and this is Chetniki.
Speaker 2: Being called not a very good guy by Chester. That hurts extra, That hurts three times.
Speaker 3: That hurt him to say it.
Speaker 2: It did, it certainly did. Now, Yanni, you're you're a father, an elk hunter, a family man.
Speaker 13: Give us your feedback on this subject Chester spot On, But I'm a little bit confused about Corey that wrote in that he was also he's kind of like bummed out and asking about two separate things because he was like, my buddy left his family in the hospital.
Speaker 1: But also he called me and I missed out on some prime mule deer hunt. So if those two are not related to me, I feel like, hey, man, if you're a good buddy, then sure you're just hold on. Sorry, rock who trout there's probably not gonna survive the day. He's running back to the pond to throw it in.
Speaker 2: That's our new segment ten minutes of Fishing, where we see if Seth can hook into a trout, and he was successful, but that does not mean a donation today. What a phenomenal start to one minute fishing.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the comments are going to roll in now from the fly fishing Catch and release Elite will be thick.
Speaker 2: I will vouch for Seth. That will fetfish is already swimming by.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: That's how close we are to this pond. You could spit from our back door.
Speaker 6: Tyler wants us to fry something on air next time that happens. That's something maybe we can do at some point or.
Speaker 2: Listen, there's a segment coming down the road someday that's going to involve George Foreman's But for now, we need to move on and we are going to talk to Tyler Johnson. Tyler Johnson survived a brown bear attack but accidentally shot himself during the encounter. He is live from an airport in Alaska right now. Tyler, welcome to the show. We've been really excited to talk to you and we're glad you're still around to share your story. First thing, tell us what you were doing that day when you had the grizzly bear encounter.
Speaker 1: Oh, you muted buddy, feels got him.
Speaker 6: I've got him, all right?
Speaker 12: Yeah, Now it was honey, black bear with my father and well we found the wrong color bear.
Speaker 3: Yeah's it?
Speaker 2: And where were you in Alaska?
Speaker 12: The Kenai Peninsula. It's you know, south of Anchorage. We're a resurrection trail. Is it's a trail that kind of hooks seward and hope. It's a forty three mile trail and we're seventeen miles deep into there.
Speaker 2: Now, tell us what happened in the minutes leading up to the encounter. How did you wind up in the same exact spot as this grizzly.
Speaker 12: Well, we were falling a horse trail and uh it was a really old trail. I was just flagging and you know when you're trying to fall a flag and it's kind of hard with just the brush around trying to find it. We kind of lost a trail for a little bit. We're hiking around trying to find the trail. There was just these willows and the olders. I don't know if they ever tried hiking through them, but they're extremely difficult to hike through with the pack on. We ended up finding the trail and it was like almost like a tunnel through the the willows there. My dad found the flag first, so he goes ahead ahead of me, and uh, well, when he was about fifteen yards ahead of me, I exited out of that tunnel kind of into like this metal. The wind wasn't blowing, so it's not like she could have sniffed us. I couldn't. We couldn't smell her or anything like that. We just kind of all surprise each other.
Speaker 4: The grass was.
Speaker 12: Oh no, it's hard for me to remember that because moment, but it might have been hip high maybe higher, and we all surprise each other. I think I'll think about top ramin that night. You know what else you want to have for dinner?
Speaker 2: Okay, Now the surprise encounter? Was it an audible thing? First? Did you see the bear? Did you smell the bear?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 2: What was your first clue that this was about to be bad?
Speaker 12: So my dad and the bear yelled at the same time, or roared and yelled. Like I said, I was behind my dad. I didn't smell her. You know, you always like you can smell the bear before you see it, right, not this one.
Speaker 10: At least. I wasn't trying to find a smell for a bear at that moment.
Speaker 4: And she growled.
Speaker 12: My dad said, bear, bear, bear, And I mean it was instantaneous. She did her yell enough to like stop your heart. She sprinted towards my dad, charged my dad and this is four seconds like I mean, her growl. I'm on my back four seconds. Yeah, like I said, there was no rule like warning except for I'm coming to get.
Speaker 5: You, you know.
Speaker 2: So what happened then when the bear had you on your back and it was on top of you, so she.
Speaker 10: She hit me like a train man. My feet went over my head.
Speaker 12: I was still trying to unholster my pistol right when she was right in front of me when she hit me, I have a police holder.
Speaker 10: My dad's a trooper, so he let me.
Speaker 12: He was his police holster that has a buttony press and then the strap moves forward. Well, once you hit me, the strap move forward, and I pulled my pistol. My legs went over my head, and I don't know if it was just reacting, you know. I tried maybe trying to kick the bear away. Trying to kick and shoot at the same time doesn't work out. So I ended up putting a bullet through my left thigh and then the rest of the bullets found her neck and face.
Speaker 10: Repeated it.
Speaker 2: And when when you shot yourself, did you know in that moment that you would shot yourself?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 12: No, I mean you can imagine that a drownine with a brown bear on top of you, grabbing your leg.
Speaker 10: And you know, chewing on you.
Speaker 4: It was yeah.
Speaker 10: I was just shoot first and then look at the wounds later, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, Chyler, do you have any idea about how big this bear was?
Speaker 12: I don't really have a scale to really match it with because I've never personally been like this close to a bear or right next to it, like we laid next to that bear for two hours.
Speaker 10: I've seen him, you know, all my hunts from Afar.
Speaker 12: I know it was a big bear. My father he sees bears all the time. He estimated it was like four hundred plus. She was fifteen years old. She had a caller on we I got to see that up close. Well, and yeah, they went out and retrieved the caller and the data came back that she was fifteen years old, so she wasn't a young or super old bear.
Speaker 4: It was a yeah.
Speaker 2: And how many shots were taken between you and your dad, and how many of those bullets found the bear?
Speaker 12: So personally I can say I believe one bullet found my leg, the other seven found the bear in the face and neck. It's kind of hard to miss when it's right here in front of face. Except well, I did just say shot myself. But besides the point my dad, you know, he wasn't just standing there. He was getting a different angle on the bear when it was on top of me, and so that's his point of view. All he saw was my legs go up and then you know, a bear's butt, and so he went into a different angle so he didn't shoot through the bear. To me, I did know he unloaded the whole magazine into the bear when it was next to me, like in its head, because I don't know what I hit to stop the bear from mauling you. As you know, if you when you go hunting and you shoot a bear, you shoot it through the lungs and it can run a mile. Right, And he got a pissed off sal You can shoot her in the chest fifteen times and she'll still try to you know, Mallya. But that seventh shot I saw her give up for all over.
Speaker 10: It's kind of hard to describe.
Speaker 12: But then my dad has forty I think it holds twenty rounds, so he emptied it into the head. When she fell over, he came over, she was still breathing.
Speaker 2: Twenty rounds for her. Twenty rounds that he put into the bear's head. What's that Twenty rounds is how many times he shot the bear.
Speaker 12: I believe, so with an adrenaline field. Father, pissed off father, you can imagine that. Yeah, you know, he's probably clicking until it wasn't Byron anymore.
Speaker 2: That's that's incredible. Now, Tyler, do you think you'd be talking to us today if you guys just had bear spray with you?
Speaker 10: No? Absolutely not.
Speaker 12: No, Okay, I will say bearsfrey doesn't work in certain situations, but this one would not have worked. I would have been peppers or bear sprayed myself and gain mauled at that time. I she would have went right through that. Like I say, it was four seconds. I probably could have got the whole story of the caster out and sprayed. But it w'd been boom, you know. Yeah, thats hard to say that what it weren't of.
Speaker 2: At the end of the call here, Tyler would like you to show us our wounds, but first let's talk about them. How how did the recovery go immediately afterwards? And how did you get out of that situation.
Speaker 10: Immediately afterwards? So we went straight into the triage.
Speaker 12: We have we bring a trauma kit whenever you go hunting, you know as the quick clot turn of kits chest, you know, all that, all the stuff that really comes with a trauma kit. Looking down my leg, I remember looking at my dad said, I think I shot myself. Rip my pants open, realize I have a bowl hole in my leg. We got the quick clot out, so we were fully addressing that issue right away, because you know, a bollhole isn't no joke, right, So we put quick clod on there. I have rubber band, pulled it tight the way it stayed there, and then we started going down triage on my body. Noticed that my right leg was filling up with blood, ripped my pants. I couldn't see the injury, like very definitively with all the blood around there, so we just grabbed more quick cloth, wrapped my leg in that, wrapped it in a wrap, grabbed the tourniquet.
Speaker 10: Tourniquet in my leg.
Speaker 12: I didn't even know the bear clawed me in the side of my leg until a half hour later. The drilling was still going through me, and I was just focusing on keep my heart rate down, just trying to be in the situation very calm, because panicing doesn't help anyone, and when you panic, a heart rate goes up and so on and so forth. So I didn't move from that situation. Right where I fell and the bear fell, we were right.
Speaker 10: Next to each other for an hour and forty five minutes, so I stayed.
Speaker 3: Put and did you guys have an in reach with you? Is that yep?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, so you had they come in with a helicopter then and took you straight to the hospital.
Speaker 3: I imagine.
Speaker 12: Yep, that's exactly what they did. We had multiple helicopters come to get come to get me RCC, their pj's and the troopers there just you know, as a continuency. If one were to not make it, the other one would pick me up. So the troopers got their first dragged me out of there on a tarp kind of like pulled myself in there. They're like, do you want to wait for the PJS. I was like, nah, man, let's get out of here right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So I remember the helicopter ride. It was a beautiful day. I even said in my video. I mean in Alaska, sixty five degrees, no clouds, Like looking around, have a hole in my leg. It's beautiful out.
Speaker 10: The helicopter ride, and I remember looking out like, oh that's beautiful.
Speaker 4: That hurts.
Speaker 12: That's beautiful. Ah that hurts, you know, it's just yeah, helicopter ride there.
Speaker 2: Tyler, you got topan something that few people will ever know. Do you now have any advice going forward something you learned from this encounter that you'd like to share with our listeners.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, some people go hunting alone. They know the dangers of that.
Speaker 12: Personally, if I didn't have the partner I had at that time, I wouldn't be here right now. There's actually a few factors that lead up to me talking right now, and that's having a good partner, knowing how to operate and reach trauma kit.
Speaker 10: On top of that, you know, like a lot of people.
Speaker 12: Just carry you know that walmart Red, you know, mule skin for your heels, band aids. I had dine that tournique potentially saved my life and quick clot and everything with that, and well having a firearm saved my life too.
Speaker 6: So Tyler, really quick, you've got a question asking how long you kept your tourniquet on.
Speaker 10: Two hours?
Speaker 12: It sucked well, but hey, pain won't kill you, but blood loss will.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tyler, this happened twelve days ago. Can you tell us about the recovery process and then show us your wounds or what you can show us.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So they let me go on good behavior from the hospital that night. I have family that lived nearby. They were taking care of me. So I was able to leave that day with a huge bag of bandages and everything. They wanted to keep everything open because infection bears don't brush their teeth or wash their hands, you know, so they carry a lot of bacteria in that. So I had to take antibiotics. I had pain meds for a little bit, but stop taking those on Saturday.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 12: Irgrofen has been working just fine for me. I'm a little bit stubborn. So I found myself going out to the fair and just walking around with crutches.
Speaker 10: I'm familiar with them, so I was.
Speaker 12: Being to quite a bit on that, and I actually think that's why I'm healing so fast, with the blood moving, being able to move my body and everything like that. Right now, I have my walking stick and I can barely get around. But you know, I'm walking with a walking stick right now.
Speaker 2: So and can can you show us the wounds real quick?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Yeah, they're they're covered up. I can't take them off because they're open wounds.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 10: So this is my leg where she bit into. I got punctures here on the front, on the back.
Speaker 4: My leg.
Speaker 10: Right here a shot.
Speaker 12: Let's see if I get the bullet went into here, exit out my leg down below here, and uh, there's just like black powder on my leg. It was so it was probably like the muscle is probably touching my leg. And then I got the claw right around here lower and yeah, those are my extent of my injuries. I feel pretty lucky that that's it, because I know they can touch you. And then oh and she she actually tried ripping my face off. I think my backpack actually, because I have a frame that goes over my head. I have claw marks on my shoulder. I think the first thing she tried to do was bat me across a face and I kind of went down and she hit my backpack and went across my shoulder.
Speaker 2: M crazy stuff. Steve Ranella is gonna be jealous that you have those wounds and he doesn't. Uh, now you can don't recommend your story. Yeah, yeah, you can read our story and see pictures of Tyler Woon Tyler's wounds at the mediater dot com. The article was written by Jordan Sillers and it's called brown bear attack leaves Alaskan hunter with bite and bullet wounds. Tyler, thanks for joining us, and next time you get scratched it by a grizzly. Let us know, and you'll be on the show.
Speaker 4: Again right on.
Speaker 10: Thanks guys, than Styler.
Speaker 2: Joanni, you had a close encounter in Alaska. It's one of my favorite podcasts ever, The Meat Tree. How how how close do you think like that situation was to being like what Tyler.
Speaker 1: Experienced as close as you can get. I guess if that.
Speaker 2: Bear just had like a slightly different attitude that day, it might have went the same same way.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just so hard to say, but I mean, we had a bear literally in between six humans that was most likely trying to run us off of the meat that we had stashed in that tree the day before. So yeah, I think that we were I don't know how to put it, milliseconds or just you know, one not connected swing of the poles to the bear's head maybe, I don't know, hard to say, but yeah, And.
Speaker 2: It seems like he agreed with the Gray or with the gray there that the bear came in loud and the attack was like quite audible, Yes, which is what something I critiqued in the Gray. Now we're gonna move on. The next thing we're doing is giving our top three states that we'd like to own a hunting property. And this is the last segment that we'll do for today. And boys, I'm gonna go first the number three state that I'd like to own a hunting property in Illinois.
Speaker 1: Oh, hold on, you're ranking them, ranking them.
Speaker 2: That's all right, you just had a random list over there.
Speaker 1: Well, I picked like the three the three, Okay, I have reasons for each three.
Speaker 2: Well, while I tell you why I like Illinois, you figure out what you're one, two and three. Illinois is a two bucks state, which I love. They had the second most Boon and Crockett entries in the country. Two of the six biggest white tails of all time were killed. Their average price per acre of land in Illinois nine five hundred and eighty dollars. That makes it some of the most expensive ground in the country. For context, the average price per acre in Texas is two thousand, five hundred dollars and in Montana it's one thousand dollars. So you're just like, good bang for your buck. If I'm picking somewhere to inherit property at, it's gonna be Illinois. And their gun seasons take place after the rut, which for a state managing for giant deer. That's the right move. So I really like that their gun seasons don't stick art until late November. Gives bow hunters a chance to haunt the bus the best days of the rut. And if I could put my hunting land anywhere in the state, I put it right in the Golden Triangle of white tails in western Illinois, which is the intersection of Pike, Brown and Adams County. Number three Illinois. Yanni, what is your third state that you would like to own? Hunting property?
Speaker 1: In Mississippi for the furthest sake that I just want to extend my turkey and deer season. Yeah, so I would get to start hunting turkeys a little bit earlier and then I would hunt deer a little bit later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably got a deer season into like February down there, Mississippi, and I think ever since they went to their Antler Point restriction, they were kind of like one of the golden examples for the rest of the country. It made a huge difference for the quality of deer that they harvest there. Randal your number three.
Speaker 5: State going out in left field here, California, whoa explain? Just trying to be prerogative, but the season that it would expand my season pigs. I would love a place where I could hunt pigs. Ye, do a little wine country, you know. I just it'd be good for the whole family.
Speaker 2: Would your hunting property have an orchard on it?
Speaker 5: I'm thinking so a vineyard, Okay, yeah, but yeah, I mean it's a lovely place to visit. You can maybe uh maybe be strategically located so you could do a bit of fishing as well.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I could see you in a big old vat of grapes, maybe stripped down to not much and just jumping up and down.
Speaker 4: You can.
Speaker 2: Mashing them with his toes. Now, Phil, I'm about to read my number two. Do you have a little sounder to play over there after I announce what my state is?
Speaker 1: You know, I was.
Speaker 6: I made one. Well, and it's it's too long, Okay, So I can just do the the trivia Winter South if you want the.
Speaker 2: Numbers two state. I'd like to own a hunting property in Kentucky. Kentucky has an amazing mix of egg timber and topography that's pretty unique to that part of the country. The hill come tree is awesome because eighty acres in Kentucky, like in that part of the world that hunts a way bigger than eighty acres in most places. It's sort of where the Midwest ends and the South begins. You happen to be getting the best of both worlds there. In my opinion, they have one of the longest archery seasons in the nation, goes from early September to late January, just similar to what you liked about Mississippi. Because of that early September opener, you have a chance at velvet Buck. They have some of the best fall weather in the country. I'm convinced of that. You still get like frost in the morning, but you're not gonna freeze your butt off. They have the sixth most boone and crocket whitetail entries in the nation, which is more than states like Texas, Missouri, and Kansas. And you can kill multiple turkeys there during the spring and fall seasons. They have the sixth biggest turkey population in the United States. My number two pick is Kentucky. Yanni your number.
Speaker 1: Two, I'm gonna go with Montana. The reason it's not number one is because one of the reasons I live here is we have so much public land us, right, And it's true for a lot of Western states and so and if I was to get some hunting property, like I wouldn't even be really needed so much to hunt the property, but I would make sure that it backs up to some hard to get to public Yeah. So just give me like a little bit of a head start, you know, maybe by five to ten miles from the nearest trailheads.
Speaker 5: And of course you'd offer that access to any interested member of the public.
Speaker 1: It's probably wine.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh I like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, with buttering, I got I got corn for you boys. Randal, your number two stay, you'd like to own a hunting property.
Speaker 5: Well, this is a little embarrassing, but my number two state is also Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, tell me why I.
Speaker 5: Grew up in Cincinnati. Kentucky's just across the river. I think one of the great things about owning a hunting property is you can share it with people that you know. And so I would say, ohio.
Speaker 2: U huh, but there's too many people you know there.
Speaker 5: I love center fire rifles, shooting bottleneck cartridges, yep, and Kentucky's and rifle season allows that.
Speaker 3: Ohios. The straight wall state.
Speaker 5: And as you said, the hunting I've done in Kentucky on eighty acres killed a couple of nice bucks, and it's just like in my mind when I picture deer hunting. Yep, it's like those days in Kentucky.
Speaker 6: We have a bunch of people chiming in in the comments about their top threes. I don't think a single person has said Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, me and Randall, that land will get cheaper than for us. Randall there because there's less competition. Now before we do number one, I'm going to tell you my honorable mentions. Texas it's just a great state for white tails. They got the hog or other exotics that may walk by at any given moment. The entire Great Plains, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, it's just like my favorite part of the country to hunt white tales. I'd love to have a hunting property there. It's also America's duck factory with the prairie potholes. And then Tennessee for all the same reasons I love Kentucky. Great weather, one of the earliest deer openers in the country. It's just overlooked for big Bucks. But here is my number one, Yanni, based on what you know about me? What do you think my number one state is.
Speaker 3: South Dakota.
Speaker 2: No, Yahni, you're taking two.
Speaker 1: Judges by I judge by the fact that you've been so one track minded with your first two with white tails. It's gonna have to be a white tail state. Okay, maybe it will be Texas.
Speaker 2: My number one state is Iowa. Texas was an honorable mention though. Now a lot of things that I loved about Illinois the same for Iowa. It's a two bucks state, which I'm super jealous of. I wish Montana was that they have the third most boone and crocket whitetail entries in the country. And that's so impressive because when you consider that Iowa isn't even the top twenty states for harvesting the most deer, so they're like twenty second overall and deer harvest, but third overall in boone and crocket deer harvest. Three of the top twenty boone and crocket producing countries are in Iowa. Just like Illinois. Their land prices are outrageous, over ten thousand dollars an acre, and if I could put my land anywhere be in southern Iowa, so then it could be I could be neighbors with some of the most famous big buck killers in the world, like the Druries, the la Coski's and Bill Winki.
Speaker 1: Have little picnics with the guys.
Speaker 5: That would be assuming you're a resident, right, because as a non resident you might not.
Speaker 2: Every every four year, tails Randall, if I if I win the lottery, first thing I'm doing is buying a big old farm in southern Iowa. Yanni, you have to I could live in Des Moines. Yeah, like Ames, sure, I could live in Iowa. You talked me and do it. Yanni your number two.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, be crazy to own a farm there and only hunt there every six years. Be nuts.
Speaker 2: They certainly have non resident landowner permits. That's the thing, you know, I'd be guaranteed one. Maybe it's not a two bucks state anymore if you're a non resident with land, but if you're a non resident with land, you're going to get some non resident tag. Yanni your number two state, no number one, number one state. I'm sorry you're number one state.
Speaker 1: I'm going with Wisconsin already have already have some land there. I don't know where they rank on the number of Boone and Crocket number one number. Okay, there you go, so a good reason there, Yep, A lot of reasons. I already owned some land. A lot of nostalgia there for me. I've been hunting there since I was ten or eleven years old. I would love to add to it. We're in what I would consider hill country. So just like you said, it hunts bigger. What else did I have for reasons here?
Speaker 2: And if I'm not mistaken Yan either also number one for black bear Boone and Crockett entry, so number one for black bear and white tails big old bears.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I just have a lot of connection to it, and so I would just like to expand, you know, with what I would would own there and just really get into the the deer farm.
Speaker 2: And practically Yanni over here wants land where he lives and where he hunts. Randall your number one state.
Speaker 5: Gosh, you know, going last, I feel like all my thunder's being stolen. My number one and state is Montana, Okay, honorable mentions would be somewhere nearby in Idaho or Wyoming. Because when I think about having a piece of land. The number one thing I'd want to be able to do is go to it frequently and have a relationship with it and visit it throughout the year. So I wouldn't want to be an absentee landowner.
Speaker 3: Sure well, et cetera. Et cetera. Could either be like a cabin as a base camp. It could provide some access.
Speaker 5: To public it could be a river bottom spot where you can do some fishing and go swim the dogs in the summer and then hunt white tails in the fall. But there's just you know, if I had something, i'd want to use it. So Montana preferably within three and a half hours.
Speaker 1: Of my house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like Yanni had said before, the reason I left any Western state off my laces. We're just blessed to live in a place and has a lot of public land, So I'm gonna I'm gonna take land some other state that doesn't. Those were our top three states that we'd like to own hunting property. And let us know in the comments if you agree or disagree, or if.
Speaker 5: You'd like to help us invest in land in any one of these high priced states, or.
Speaker 2: If you've got a sweet property in Kentucky that maybe let me come hunt.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's worth the shock.
Speaker 1: That's it for today's show.
Speaker 2: But before we leave here, Phil, let's go over some listener feedback.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just to piggyback on that last one. I don't know if you guys have if you want to give us your top one. How about fishing Camp States?
Speaker 2: Oh, fishing Camp States. I don't know. Steve's is pretty convincing in Alaska. I don't know if I could argue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although you know he's been talking about you know, he calls that place fish Shack North, and I think he's been recently talking about fish Sack Shack South out of Venice, Louisiana, which you know, it would be a great time to drop in that we still have spots mails for meat eater experiences. Today is the last day to book if you want to fish with folks like Randall myself. Are you coming down? Won't be there, Spencer's not coming down, Steve's Runella is gonna be there.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's a bonus for some people that I won't be there.
Speaker 3: So now Karina and Phil will be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, podcasts, Yeah, we're me doing anyways, Meetia experiences. If you're looking for a good time early October, we're going down there where Steve is considering having fish sheck South at some point in his life for me fishing, Uh geez.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe North Carolina like Outer Banks. Okay, I know that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I would have to say Alaska.
Speaker 5: But if that were off the table lower forty eight, I'd go north Woods of Minnesota.
Speaker 2: You know what I talked to myself out of Alaska in the last minute. I was gonna say, Minnesota.
Speaker 5: Big mosquito, guy, Yep, big mosquito.
Speaker 2: It's their state bird.
Speaker 6: And now that Karrent has made her presence known, let's see Saxton ask or says it would be cool to have segments on the show where they use the Werner Bratsler sheer test machine.
Speaker 9: I man, my man, because there are plans in the works for that.
Speaker 2: It's gonna happen. It's gonna happen, Saxton.
Speaker 5: And for those of you who are unaware of what a Werner Bratzler share is, it is an instrument used to measure the toughness of.
Speaker 9: Meat right by official meat scientists.
Speaker 6: Else Phil, let's see, Steven, this is going back to Spencer's or chettiquet question, We've got a comment from a Steven Runella setting a great example. Steve says, I tell young folks that they need to set a strong precedent when starting a new relationship, even if they don't have anywhere to go, just sleep in a buddy's garage to show you your partner that you're gone a lot. What do you guys think about that?
Speaker 2: I have a feeling that's actually earnest wisdom from Steve that he would suggest you do. I maybe wouldn't.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Yanni, No, I've heard him give that advice many times, and uh yeah, it's a tricky one because hopefully you just are gone a lot because you're doing stuff and you don't have to be attached at the hip, at your at your with your special other per But so I guess if, like in the future, your plan on being around more than yeah.
Speaker 2: You should do what Steve says an easier solution. It's what me and Randall have done. Don't have children. There's less pressure to be at home when there's no little people there who rely on and.
Speaker 3: Take your wife hunting.
Speaker 6: That's right, that's very true. Oh hey, Nick asks if your guy, you guys are gonna do any hunting. During the Tailgate tour.
Speaker 2: Yanni was fixing to do some squirrel hunting. Randal and I are fixing to do some fishing, maybe for bass or walleye, and I am so jealous. I have heard that Clay Nukom and Brent Reeves are getting on a very special boat when they go to I think it's Tennessee. I don't want to say who it is in case that falls apart. Let me tell you it's like a childhood dream to think about fishing with that person. I think we'll find out soon enough.
Speaker 3: And we will happen.
Speaker 5: We will be in ann Arbor. We fly out a week from today, so we will be in ann Arbor next Saturday.
Speaker 1: Football season's already started.
Speaker 2: It started last week was week zero, and tonight there are a handful of games on, including a big one between North Dakota State and the University of Colorado, highly anticipated. Yanni, I think it's on ESPN tonight.
Speaker 5: So we will be in ann Arbor, Texas at Michigan. Spencer and I will be there, will be playing some trivia, We'll be hanging out, we'll be recording trivia, and yeah, please stop buy for in the area or if you're just outside of the area and you feel like making a drive, because I think we'll be having a good time.
Speaker 6: Last question for doctor Randall Daniel's asking, is there a bear on the highway?
Speaker 3: Not today, it's been rough out there for the fawns.
Speaker 5: In all seriousness, it's pretty tragic comedy animals get killed on my community to work. But yeah, I haven't seen a bear since the one last week, which is good bye me.
Speaker 2: Maybe Randall will hit one on his way home.
Speaker 3: I'll let you know.
Speaker 2: That'd be really good content. So I don't know. Maybe don't swerve if it.
Speaker 1: If it happens, Randall, sure, hush, no, that's I got a new truck.
Speaker 3: I can't around with.
Speaker 2: Meat Eater radio. We'll see you guys the same time, in same place, one week from now.