Speaker 1: Joining us now is blockhead Jack Dorsey. That's the title he himself requested, Jack, we really appreciate you joining us. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you both. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely be grateful. Jack, you've been outspoken recently. Why do you think that RFK Junior is the best choice for the Democratic need and the best the Democratic nominee and the best candidate in the field right now?
Speaker 2: First and foremost, to have a candidate to be president of the United States that is focused on peace and ending all these wars and really focusing on looking at some of the deeper issues that we've we've had, especially as he states around regulatory capture, the military industrial complex. He is intimate knowledge of all these things. He's you know, worked extremely hard and tiresome in these fields and made a lot of progress. I you know, I came across him this year and I really listened, and I kind of went through all of his podcasts, almost every episode, and I appreciate how much of a grasp he has of all the issues he speaks to. I appreciate that he's curious, and I appreciate that he comes at everything from a more of a humanitarian angle. There's a deep, deep sense of humanity and actually helping people. And there's an edge as well, there's you know, no fear in exploring topics that are a little bit controversial and maybe in the future. So all in all, just absolutely refreshing from what I've seen from the whole field. Now. I'm not really usually in I don't, you know, really speak out much on who I'm choosing or why, But I don't know, I just feel like our country needs his leadership.
Speaker 3: And do you think it would be important for the Democratic Party to host primary debates so that voters have a chance to view all of these candidates and their alternatives.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it just it would be silly to not have open debates, to not have open primaries, because it feels like hiding or everything that is everything is planned and you know, already determined, and I don't think that builds trust. And right now we need to build as much trusts as possible, open up and be as transparent as possible, and really let the people see and decide for themselves, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Jack, you know, speaking of openness of transparency, so far, we haven't had a chance to really hear from you much in really the recent years, and especially the last several months. What do you make so far about Elon Musk's CEO takeover of Twitter, your former company.
Speaker 2: I think this is actually the first interview I've done since I left the company. Maybe maybe well. As I said, Twitter is going to have a very very hard time continuing to be a public company. It had many pressures upon it. The advertising business we were entirely dependent upon, and not just advertising as you might think of it from Facebook or Instagram or Snapchat. It was brand advertising. It was dependent upon huge brands or collection or conglomerates, brands seeing us as something that they wanted to spend money on. And because we were so small relative to our peers, if anything happened in the market or with them, they would instantly pull away from us. Snapchat was included in that bucket as well, and it would retreat to the larger ones like Facebook and Google. Because we were a public company without any protections, we had no dual class of voting set up. We were open to activists coming in. In fact, we had an activist coming into our stock. It's hugely distracting and really really challenging to build anything at all and to actually build something that you have to take some risk upon because you have the pressure from these advertisers and all this revenue suddenly going away if you make a decision they don't like. And at the same time, if that happens, then you know that the stock has an issue and activist comes in and it's a death spiral. So the only path to me was to take the company private. And I you know, Eli is our number one user, he's their number one customer. He understood the platform deeply, and he's a technologist and he builds technology. So at the very start, I was hoping for years that he would and I asked him many times to join our board at least, But when he decided to make a bid for the company, or join the board and then make a bid for the company, Uh I was it just it felt great. But as you all remember, that's the time when the market crash, especially for advertising companies like ours. So if we not get that, I think it would have been very, very challenging for Twitter to live, right. So, uh what happened unfortunately after that, after the bid made, the bid was made and the and the market went down, is you know, he went to back away. He did have an option to back away at a billion dollars and just walk away, but there was this fight about bots, and you know, the company took him to court when he when he backed out, and that's when things really went south. Fortunately, you know, he decided to make it. But I think it set up a kind of a dynamic where he had to be very hasty, he had to be impatient, he had to move as quickly as possible with features even if they weren't fully thought out. And it all looked fairly reckless. But I do have confidence that he'll figure it out. I do have confidence in his new CEO, and I own, you know, three percent of this of this new company, so I'm supportive. I have questions about, you know, certain things, and I have questions about the long term aspects of free speech on a corporate owned platform, no matter who the owner is. Yeah, but those are solvable.
Speaker 3: Speak speak to that piece first, specifically with regard to Elon, do you think he's lived up to his own free speech commitments on the platform? And then what do you see as the tensions between a free speech commitment and a for profit company.
Speaker 2: Well, it depends on where you want the free speech because we were more, you know, ideally going for a global appreciation of free speech and free expression itself. And Elon took on a principle of anything that's allowed by law on the platform, which sets up a dynamic where you have countries like India and Turkey who made many requests to us back in the day to take down particular journalist accounts or give contact information and remove them from the platform. So I think it's easier to do in the US. But at the same time, you are dependent right now upon an advertising model, and the advertisers can do things like boycott until policies are changed or actions are taken. And we saw that many many like well, almost every year I was at the company, we saw that. So my one goal before I left the company was to shift away from this dependency on brand advertising and move to different lines of revenue. And Elan has started with that, and I think that will help the cause of being a platform for truly free speech. But that said, he can always be compelled. He has one person, He's one single point of failure, and pressure can be put upon him by the United States, by the Department of Defense, by China, by Turkey, by India, of course, and it will and this is this is going to be the reality for any centrally controlled company or or even a protocol that's that's centrally controlled. So the only way to truly have free speech, to truly be censorship resistant, is to work on open protocols. And there are only two at scale that I'm aware of, which is Bitcoin for money and noster for social media and beyond. But they're so niche right now, and there's so it's all and to me, it just it just says at the moment that people don't actually care as much about the censorship resistance, otherwise they would be using these technologies more. And maybe there's not much of a need just yet or and certainly the accessibility and the approachability of these systems is rather ocine for all people in the world, but that will that will change. So I think we'll see how important censorship resistance truly is to people. You know, when some of these issues come up in the future, and it's no fault of Elon, no fault of anyone at the top of one of these companies, it's just impossible to avoid not having to take actions when there's a particular entity, be to a government or your customer's requesting that you do something or they leave right, Jack.
Speaker 1: One of the things that a lot of people focused on the Twitter files, do you think that that accurately reflected decision makings, what that's was taking place, you know at the company around so many of these sensitive topics, and what's your reflection on that you know? Since their release, I.
Speaker 2: Wish that the full corpus of the emails and all the information was released so that more journalists and everyone in the world could see everything, because I think there is some context missing when you when you take parts, and it's no fault of the reporters. Necessarily, they had a tool and they had to ask questions of the tool, and that tool would give them back fragments of information and that might lead them to get the other fragment to provide more context. But if if everything was available, I think we'd have a better picture. I think the company, you know, my leadership set on the company wishes to trust our folks and that they were doing the right things. There's a lot of stuff in the Twitter files that you know, I never saw because it wasn't at that level, and I was surprised by the level of engagement with government agencies. I was surprised by the request. But if you look at that, our people are our team members, like they pushed back on a lot of that stuff, not all of it, but a lot of it was was questionable. So I think it shows a company that is struggling. You know it. It remains the most important public square in the world right now, and it was so challenging to work in that environment. We're onder, we are under our microscope from day one of the company, and it creates stresses that are just unbelievable. But I think I think they acted with fairness. I think they generally did the right thing. Of course, we made a bunch of mistakes, especially around the New York Post and the Hunter Biden laptop story. But I believe that people and that they were doing the best they could with the information that they had, and I wish in retrospect I was a little bit more hands on than that. My focus was on like when when I came into the company, we were losing users, and now my focus was just to grow the company again, grow the usage base for the revenue, and we did. We actually became a profitable company. We got onto the S and P five hundred, we had, you know, five million dollars a year in advertising revenue, and we were shifting away from advertising at the same time and growing. So I didn't focus on that area as much as I probably should have in retrospect and asked more questions. It was all reactive when I did. But yeah, it's a it's a tough situation, but I think I think the company did well, but certainly we could have done better, and I do believe that we were more fair and more introspective than our.
Speaker 3: Peers in terms of context. You said you felt that some of the context was missing. Do you have specifics there of things that you wish were included that you felt painted in this leading portrait?
Speaker 2: Nothing in particular that comes to mind. I mean, it just it's hard to there's just so much context in those emails and the communications, and even within that we would have in person meetings that would discuss things that may not be represented in the written communication. So there's nothing that stands out. But I believe, like if you truly want to show how one of these systems work, which I'm fully supportive of, opening all this stuff up. We were trying to like figure out how to do that ourselves before I left. And one of my goals is to be the most transparent company in the world. But to only give access to a few people with a tool that you know takes these franks, I think that there could have been a better approach, and that would just be open up the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 1: One of the things, you're in a unique position. You believe in free speech. That's something I've never doubted about you. You also are in the unique position of having run one of these companies. Can you give us some anecdotes, as you alluded to foreign governments and the pressures that you were under, if able, just to give the audience an idea of what it is really like to be in a position to have some of the most powerful people literally on Earth coming to you and saying demanding things of your company, and as someone with principles, how did you navigate.
Speaker 2: That India, for example, India is a country that had many requests of us around the Farmer's protest, around particular journalists that were critical of the government, and it manifested in ways such as we will shut Twitter down in India, which is a very large market for US. We will raid the homes of your employees, which they did. We will shut down your offices if you don't follows through. And this is India, a democratic country. Turkey is is very similar like we. We had so many requests from Turkey. We fought Turkey in their in their courts and often won, but they threatened to shut us down constantly. Nigeria yet another one. I don't think we could even put people on the ground because of what the government might do to our employees if we had them there. And then of course the the U S. We we started a long time AGOO transparency report about all government requests into US and we're continuing to make it more fine grain. And these were requests of takedowns or investigations or any any number of things that a government would request of us, especially the US government. And I would, I would. I wasn't as deep in those conversations, but I would say that.
Speaker 4: It it was just, it was it was super It feels super challenging because you have the US government asking you things, and then when asking you to do things, and then also calling you to Congress.
Speaker 2: And I was, I was. I testified before Congress four times for you know, five to seven hours each time with the most non productive discussion. You know, these frame questions of you guys are now the uh with you know, with the ability to provide no context but soever, so that the Congress people and the Senators could actually understand and again have context for the problems we're trying to solve, and and use it as a form for ideas too, you know, to do this together for the people of the United States and for the people of these other countries. But it just felt like attacks all the time from re angle. Everything we did really upset the right, and everything we did really upset the left. Like you could not there's no way to win, and you just kind of have to internalize that and move forward.
Speaker 3: You referred earlier to the fact that there hasn't been a large adoption of some of the Twitter alternatives, and you said that calls into question how much people actually care about these questions of censorship. I viewed a little bit differently, which is that it seems to me that these platforms are kind of like the definition of a natural monopoly.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: The reason people are staying on Twitter is because people are on Twitter, right, there's already this critical mass of individuals there. So given the fact that, first of all, I would be curious if you agree with that assessment that they're sort of natural monopoly is because the value comes in having the sizeable social network. Should they be regulated then warlike public utilities, which is the other sort of famous example of a natural monopoly.
Speaker 2: I think natural monopolies happened for a time, but they're easily disrupted. I don't think it's as challenging as as one would think. I mean, Twitter has only been around for seventeen years, which which seems like a long time, But there was a you know, a MySpace before that, and a friends Are before that, and a Usenet before that, which was completely decentralized and unknown by anyone. I don't I don't think more government regulation is necessarily the right answer to ward off the monopoly aspects or fix some of the issues. I think having a having an open protocol that no one actually owns and governments and corporations can't bend to their will is the most important thing that allows for the most creative solutions solve the problems we see, including protecting freedom of speech and including providing safety for folks who who want it. And my hope is that you know, as we build these technologies like Noster and Bitcoin, that a company like Twitter adopts them because it removes a bunch of the liability they would have otherwise, and they can build phenomenal businesses on top of it. And to prove that, you see what Google has done with the Web. They used an open protocol, built a phenomenal business. They built a phenomenal business on Gmail, which is an open protocol for email. There are real opportunities building on open protocols where we're at the same time the foundational aspect of it, the foundational layer that people own and a company can't bend towards its will one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Jack, what do you think about AI regulation? You're a technologist. Do you think we should have regulation? Do you agree with Elon and others who want to shut it down in the meantime to regulate it? It gets to some of the protocol discussion you're talking about right now.
Speaker 2: I don't believe pausing AI is realistic. We may pause it here in the US, but they're not going to pauseit it in China. And I think there is a bit of an arms race in this space. I think regulation is needed. I don't think the the regulators currently have an understanding of the approach. I'm hoping that they look more at the primitives of these technologies and and not focused on driving particular outcomes of the technologies. And I think the real the most important thing to me is that we have open source models. And I'm you know, I've I've critiques Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg for uh most of my career, and he does. But I really respect the fact that he chose to open source his large language model and that it created this entire open source ecosystem, building models that are now approaching the level of a chat cheep and what Google is doing with part I think that is absolutely critical that we all have access through these technologies and people can build on top of it and we can actually see how they work. So I think that's far more important than regulation. There's some dangers there that people might take these technologies and build extremely harmful things, but that's been the case forever in open source, and we just haven't seen that play out because there is a balancing effect of people doing the right thing and looking at ways to protect the overall technology and ultimately protect community. So I think that the open source aspect has me the most excited about this.
Speaker 3: You have a lot of respected technologists who have been sounding the alarm about the potential dire impact of AI technology on society. Do you share any of those concerns?
Speaker 2: Of course I share them. I think there's a lot of hype in the AAR right now. The technology industry is very trendy, and we move from one fashion to the next fashion. And just six months ago, now nine months ago, we're only talking about crypto and bard apes. Now all that away and we're talking about AI and how it's going to destroy us. Like if you listen to the earnings calls of all these companies six months ago, there was no mention of AI, and now every single earnings call of all almost all public companies includes a mention of AI. And some of that I think is, you know, to pump the stock a bit. Some of the all the dire stuff is it makes for a good headline, which sells advertising and helps the media immensely. I don't think we're anywhere near the danger point, but certainly like it is important for us to consider the you know the potential harmful outcomes and have conversations about them. But I think the only way to do that is to really build it in the technology. And that's why I think open sources is so critical.
Speaker 1: Jack, what do you make of metas you know, foray into the headsets. We just had the release of the Apple headset, this type of technological advancement. What do you think about ar VR and the current push by these companies into it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's obvious that it's going to happen. Like if you if you want to understand the future of any technology, just read science fiction. There they're actually the roadmap writers, and it's obvious that like snow Crash, this book from Neil Stevenson, is going to happen better one like now that we've seen it in a movie, like people want to build it, and I think they they've you know, propensity to be phenomenal for for gaming. I think it's an obvious user interface evolution. I'm super worried and concerned with how out of touch it might make people and how it just even further. I think another movie Wally by Pixel, that's the future we're driving towards with everyone in the floating chairs, you know, drinking their food out of straws, and you know, constant twenty four to seven entertainment, And you can see that like the whole world is headed this way. And I want to believe that there's a different answer. So I don't know. I'm I'm it's going to happen. I'm skeptical about some of the benefits, and I hope we have an honest conversation about some of the harms around more and more social distancing.
Speaker 3: I think there's been a huge increase both in research about harms of too much technology, especially on young children and teenagers. I think there's been huge interest from the public in how do we make sure that we still have you know, health that we're touching grass, so to speak. And I wonder Jack, how you think about those things, you know, advice to parents, advice to people individually, how to sort of stay staying, stay connected, stay you know, living a fulsome and satisfying and thriving life. As more and more technology invades the most intimate of our personal interactions.
Speaker 2: I do think it's important to find some sort of balance. Like I think with all technologies when they first come out, we tend to overuse them and abuse them, and then we realize that we're doing that, and we look for, you know, opportunities to move away from them. I do think the phone is a real addiction. I do think this generation of kids. I don't have kids myself, but just talking with my friends who are parents, a lot of them have made the choice to not allow any media, TV or devices. Some have made decisions to allow everything because they're growing up in this world and they need to understand how to work with it, and others have found some sort of hybrid. I think if you if if we see it in a as a as a tool to help us ask questions about the world, to build things, to make things, and not just pure consumption, I think it can be quite healthy as long as you are finding balance elsewhere. And I am very worried that there's not a lot of emphsis on finding that balance outside the moment, and we've been so dependent. You go to any restaurant these days and you have you see couples all the time, both of them are on their phones and the candle is in the middle of them, and it's just we've definitely lost a lot of that opportunity for real connection, and I do think we should build technologies to suggest that people look.
Speaker 1: Up, look up. That's an inspiring message, Jack. I know that you're a busy man. We just want to say we appreciate you joining us so much. It's it was a real pleasure to talking to you, and I think a lot of people are going to get something out of this.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Jack. Great to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's our pleasure.