Speaker 1: Welcome to the show. I'm Rashan McDonald, the host of money Making Conversations Masterclass, where we encourage people to stop reading other people's success stories and start planning their own. Now, you don't want to miss an episode of Money Making Conversations Masterclass, So right now follow a subscribe to Money Making Conversations. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Now, sit back and listen as we unlock the secrets to their success on Money Making Conversations Masterclass. My guess is the founder and chief executive officer of the Benoi Group. The company has become a national leader in designing, developing, and managing complex projects ranging from mixed income affordable communities and independent senior living to mix use, workforce and multifamily anchored master plan developments. The commitment is sustainable housing for low to moderate income earners. Please welcome them Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Eddie Benoir Junior, How you doing Eddie?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. I'm doing well. Rashan, thank you for having me on your show.
Speaker 1: Now, I appreciate that and respect the fact that you've taken time to come on on a show, because show I want to spotlight what you've been doing with the community, what you've been doing with your life, and the best of When we get started, Eddie tell us about the ben War Group.
Speaker 2: Ben War Group, So we actually were established in twenty sixteen. We used to be part of a previous partnership that I was part of from two thousand and one to two thousand and ten. I'm sorry, we're established in twenty ten. It has been sixteen years since we actually transitioned to the ben War Group. And we're headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. But we actually have a gemographic footprint of about nine to ten states, primarily the southeast, couple station Midwest, and in the southwest of the country. And you know, our business is primarily focused on multifamily and multifamily anchored mixed use communities that are developed through public private partnerships with different municipalities throughout the different states that we focused on. So we develop on and operate our own portfolio of assets throughout our geographic footprint.
Speaker 1: You know, when I read your introduction, it had a lot of different I guess pillows when you talk about multifamily anchored master plan developments. We talk about affordable housing or load of moderate income earners. We talked about senior citizens. Let's talk about the senior citizens projects or housing projects, and what is the model that you use for your company to ben one group to develop a revenue on an annual basis with your company.
Speaker 2: Well, with the senior projects, they're considered independent senior living properties where the residents are typically sixty two and older, at least one person who's the head of household if there's a couple living on the property. We target more low to moderate income earners. So some people fall under the lower income category. And then there are those who are not under the low income category that are moderate income that are anywhere from eighty percent to one hundred and twenty percent of the area median income who are not able to get any form of subsidy from the government from a rental standpoint, but also don't have that much more income to afford housing that is earmarked primarily for seniors, but also that is affordable to them. So where we target that income band for those seniors in order to offer them similar housing options.
Speaker 1: And that's the key right there, because you know, I always tell when I was growing up. I was born a child, grew up in the sixties, you know, as a teenager in the seventies, and went to college as well. There are more older people now than when I was growing up. So is that a good thing for your business, Eddie? Or a situation where you don't have enough to be able to cover the need.
Speaker 2: The demand is extremely high, especially for the baby boomers now, many people are really building affordably priced housing. Again, that depends on what region, what market you're in as far as what's considered affordable right of course, if you're in a rural area is different than being in the metropolitan area. And so that income band, that demographic you know range is really suffering from a huge need from a housing standpoint, whether it's from a rental standpoint or from a ownership standpoint. Many people are not looking at the folks that are between that fifty five to eighty five that is probably still earning some former income or maybe retired, but they still want the ability to live close to the metropolitan areas or within the suburban areas, but are not necessarily in a position to afford a lot of the new inventory that's being built because the cost of housing is just so high.
Speaker 1: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. No need for you to do me a favor right now to follow our subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow or subscribe money Making Conversations. Welcome back to Money Making Conversation master Class with me Rashaun McDonald. See I'm right there, I'm right. I'm your customer, Eddie, you know, fifty five to eighty five right there? Okay, how do.
Speaker 2: You I'm my customer tooth.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right, Which means that you're going to build a lifestyle that's comfortable for both of us.
Speaker 2: Exactly what it needs to be an environment where both people can actually live in the same under the same roof, meaning the same building, enjoying the same amenity, even though they may be within different income.
Speaker 1: Then then let's talk about that. Because you was talking about pricing, because always the key what do you get for your money? And so because I'm gonna talk about the different pillars, but I had to start in the area that hits home for me, which is that fifty five to eighty five. Also, that's the age group that some people give up on. And also some people don't plan for because as you know, when we plan for retirement, we don't plan for retirement to take care of our parents. And next thing, you know, that's what we're doing, is taking care of our parents. And it's it the lifestyle that's affordable to what they want to live. And so when you start talking about numbers, we talk about the word affordable. Are you in a position to be able to tell my audience what is the word affordable and how that it breaks down for them if they want to potentially to contact or can someone contact your company to get that information?
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody can contact the company to get the information. But I'll just give just more of a high level we can talk about affordable. You have two different you have two different categories. We have what it's called the affordable with the capital A and that's for those who are making anywhere from no income up to sixty percent of the area meeting income and where they live, and so they are considered low income earners, and there are regulations in place that stipulates how much of their income can they pay from a rental standpoint for housing. Okay, Typically, you know, hood will stipulate for them not to pay more than thirty percent of their income. Now, some of them will have certain forms of rental subsidies from the different housing authorities that will support them, or they have vouchers that are a portable from one state to another, but there'll be subjects to waiting list if they're moving from one city to another city. Okay, and it's also based on availability. Those who make more than the sixty percent area meeting income fall under what we call the small A is forced affordabilities concerned. Right, those are the moderate income earners, and depending on the city that they live in, that may go anywhere from eighty percent of the area meeting income to one hundred and twenty percent and even one hundred and forty percent of the area meeting income. So we look at merging both that income band from zero to one hundred and twenty to one hundred and forty percent area meet income and figure out which the proper mix that allows project to be financially feasible. So we can do a deal that has a mixed income component with low and moderate income earners and even those who are beyond the one hundred and forty percent area meeting income that can live there and still afford a rent level that is lower than what the competition is offering.
Speaker 1: You know, before we go to break, I want to ask you this question, Eddie about vision. You know a lot of people have called me a visionary renaissance man because I'm willing to pivot when I do. If I see it's not going right, I will pivot, Eddie, I would understand that that is not the path I should continue. I'm not a hard headed guy when it comes to making business decisions. How has your original vision evolved in your company grown? And also how it has it remained unchanged at the core because they're a core business model or how you operate, but there are also some business parameters that you alter. How have they been changed or evolved over the years.
Speaker 2: Well, the vision and the mission never really changed from twenty ten when we're established a binoire group. Again where not separated from my previous partners. It's just that we've continuously looked at our litmus tests. Has been our why why do we do what we do? And so every deal that we actually pursue has to pretty much be weighed against our why as a company. And that's what really keeps us from being distracted. That's what keeps us from taking unnecessary risks. It keeps us from It keeps us really relatively focused and determined in what we're trying to do, even though our business is very cyffical, and so you've got to withstand a lot of the headwinds that are unanticipated. But it's the same thing when we sat down and came up with our mission statement in twenty ten. It has not changed whatsoever, and we believe that we've been able to follow it.
Speaker 1: Wow, and I respect you for Atlanta. I've talked to Eddiebinwall Jr. He's the Entrepreneur of the Year presented by the Atlanta Business League. If you have questions, you want to speak to him for zero four a eight zero nine two five five four zero four for zero four eight a zero nine two five five. But before we go, Eddie, could you tell everybody how they get in contact contact with you via website, a social media or an actual number.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, they can get in touch with us. Our website is ww dot benwar group dot com. That's th A G B E N O I T G R O U P dot com. Or they can follow us on LinkedIn Eddie Binwall Jr. On LinkedIn or on I G wait.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more money making conversations. I got a lot of things to ask. I want to talk about his leadership, philosophy, changes and resilience, innovation in different differentiation, team building, impacting legacy. I got a lot of questions for you, Eddie. Don't you go nowhere? Entrepreneur of the Year. On this rainy day, brother, We're going to change some people's lives. Money Making Conversations Master Class hosted about Rashaan McDonald. We'll be right back. Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more money making conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to money Making Conversations master Class hosted by me Rashan McDonald. Let's get back into it. Leadership, Eddie, that's key man. As you get older, it changes. I know I was a little stronger with my words when I was leading people. I thought I needed to move them with volume. They're move a lot faster. What is your role, How do you do How is your leadership practices changed? Always been the same throughout.
Speaker 2: Eddie, No, it's definitely changed over the past three and a half decades instead of being in the business. But one of the things that I know that inconsistent is the ability to maintain at least, you know, transparency and honesty with those who report to you directly and to me. I think that is the best form of communication or relationship that you can have with your leadership, and that kind of just trickles down within the organization at the different levels.
Speaker 1: You know, I had a I always tell people I try to be honest on this show, Eddie when I talk about my experiences as an entrepreneur a small business owner, and I will tell you that, like I said earlier, I'm not a hard headed person, but I have been a hard headed person and looking at my business model, it was not working for me and it got to a point where I was basically using my savings to run my business, which is a bad business model. And you a test to that, because you know, if you're using your person revenue, where's the revenue coming to replace the revenue you're taking away from your person? When you look at the philosophy as you're talking listening to people on the who are listening to us, what advice would you give to them when it's not going right? Like you said, your revenue can be seasonal or ebb and flows with the injurty or sometimes how do you adjust to that eddie because you know it's going to happen, but you have to prepare for that.
Speaker 2: Talk to us, yeare are a lot of people who actually Rashaan will treat budgets based on how they would like the outcome of the year to be. Yeah, and they're like, look, I'd love to make a couple of million dollars, so I'm going to make a budget for a couple of million dollars as opposed to really figuring out the path to making that too million dollars in revenue, and it's not achievable. They're lying to themselves. They're not honest with themselves. The other part is there are people who like to hire folks who are have the same kind of skill sets that they have, that think like they do, because that's the type of people that they like, and so they think that's the best thing to hire and work with. People who are like them. Well, that's not necessarily true. You really want to bring people who think a little bit different than you are, who are even smarter than you are, and that can bring different points of view, different approaches to the business, that can challenge even your thought process even if you're being hard headed about something, and they can help you see things from a different set of leanness. They could bring different subject matter expertise to the table to make you to even extend your capacity as a person, as an individual, as a leader, or even as a company. And so you know, to me, I think those are very essential when you have a business, when you have a company that you're looking to scale and grow. But also that allows you to be to create some flexibility and be nimble to withstand just the hard times in the business and be honest with yourself as to what does it really look like, what can we really achieve in twenty twenty six, What can we really achieve in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really interesting that you where you're approaching that When I look at myself, the classic statement I always tell people is you don't want to be the smartest person in the room all the time. And that's I believe that. In a wrap up, that's what you're saying. You know, don't hire people that think like you all the time, think differently, challenge you to be the better you challenge your company to do the better things that will win long term and not necessarily short term, because bring a third eye to your process and you're not always looking through the same lens at the same things, which means you might be achieving the same goals, which may not be a benefit to your overall company results. Earlier we talked about in our conversation, we talked about, you know, the independent senior living to mix use properties. One thing I want to get to is the most pay family anchored master plan development. That sounds huge to me. How does your company make those decisions and how big can these properties become? Our development's become, Eddie.
Speaker 2: Are usually projects like that that are mixed use are awarded to us through a competitive process where we submit a response to an rfp RQ and we're selected amongst a group of other developers throughout the country that are actually buying for the same project. And usually there's a best and final and you get selected and those deals are only done through a public private partnership with the municipalities or the public agency that's actually issuing that RFQ or the RP. And so the capital structure or what we call the capital stack is usually very complicated in order to build the different components of the mixed use development. So when we talk about multi family anchored project, we may have the multi family component, may be one building could be a senior independent senior living deal, the other one can be just regular multi family. Then we will have some commercial retail space under the buildings or maybe standalone commercial retail space that supports not only the residents that we're bringing to this mixed use community, but also the residents that are legacy residents that already live within that neighborhood and so we're bringing retail support to them that ordinarily didn't exist. Then we may have a pad that's available for some office development, hospitality, or hotel, or even home ownership within the same community. Wow.
Speaker 1: You know, when I think about what you're saying, that think about you know, the neighborhood, the communities. I grew up in a a neighborhood, low income neighborhood, the Ward in Houston, Texas, and I always tell people we moved to a bevernor hood, better neighborhood, but I didn't know because when I walked out the front door, it was black people there too, so I just thought I was in another neighborhood. The house was a little bit bigger, I would tell you that, Eddie, but it wasn't that much bigger. But I lived a good life because my parents gave me an opportunity to be myself. And I think that's really key when we say that, you know, when you start talking about it. That's why I wanted to bring up the pillows of what you're doing at the Benuar group. You're actually changing lives, man, You're creating legacies, and that is something when you wake up in the morning. Sometimes you don't realize it till you realize it. Talk to us about what you do from an emotional standpoint, because you really are, Eddie, impacting the community, not only in the state of Georgia, but many states well.
Speaker 2: We typically go in areas that are been overlooked, were considered difficult to develop, stay away from, or that are subject to some form of gentrification because they're now a desirable area because of their location or proximity to high ways, to amenities, businesses, and maybe certain municipalities, and so we typically go in first, where people will shut away from those locations. But we view ourselves as going in first but being more catalytic, and that would allow other developers and builders to come in. Once they realize that we're willing to make that kind of investment in a large way in that community, not only within what we're developing, but also what we're doing outside the four walls of our development right, then that gives them some form of confidence to say, hey, if different war group can do this, then we should we should do it also. You know, it's just that that impact is huge. It can't just be for you're on the community that you're building, and it can't stay within the four walls with Sean. It has to expand by the four walls. That's where the true transformation comes. The transformation is not before you can get transformation from a physical standpoint as far as physical buildings being done. You've got to change the mindset and you've got to at least restore establish the confidence as it relates to other investors, builders and developers to come in that area too.
Speaker 1: You know, I in closing here, Eddie, I wanted to bring you on the show because, just like you said, we just grinders. Man. You know, sometimes we don't even see how we may change, but we understand. I tell my staff that that every day we're going to change or impact somebody's life life. So I want what they do to be as perfect as they can accomplish that day. And housing, quality housing. I grew up in a two bedroom shotgun house, Eddie, six sisters, two brothers, two parents, and so I know what quality housing looks like because I started someplace where I didn't have quality housing. And like I said, you're going and being inviting into communities where people don't think that opportunity can exist. In closing, what do you see the ben Wire Group in the next five to ten years and what are your top priorities moving.
Speaker 2: Forward in the next ten years. I see us probably just in a dozen states that it'll be you know, maybe from Texas as far as western Texas, but in as far as north and maybe Maryland, and we'll continue to do the same type of projects that we're doing that really are in alignment with our mission and our top priorities, you know, right now, is to act partner and mentor smaller developers that are looking to scale within their cities and that don't have the financial worth thought to do such and partner with them and leverage our experience, our balance sheet to help them grow so they can, you know, next five to ten years, be on their own without having to have you know, partners, and just kind of just showing them the roadmap on what it really takes in order to not only shape their deals but be successful at it. There's a lot of people who who are aiming to grow in this business, but it is a very difficult road to navigate.
Speaker 1: Any you a special brother man. Thank you for coming on Money Making Conversations master Class one more time. Can you give out the contact information so people who are listening to the show can reach out to you.
Speaker 2: The Feeling the website www dot Thebina group dot com, or you can reach Eddie Binwah on LinkedIn or on ig So looking forward to hearing from you, or you can follow us on our YouTube show where we talk about real estate development and everything that we're doing in real estate development on Shape the Deal, Shape the Deal on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my brother.
Speaker 2: We talked so appreciate it. Thank you for having.
Speaker 1: Me, Thank you for listening to this episode. No, I need for you to do me a favor right now to follow our subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor. Follow a subscribe Money Making Conversations. Keep winning