Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two.
Speaker 2: On this Monday, Dan and the Dan Ete Dan Patrick Show come on in stay awhile feeling refreshed after battling whatever I've battled over the last three weeks. I didn't realize this, but Seton said, yeah, you would turn your mic off and then you'd be coughing, so all we would see is your mouth there. So I got to see the show back, and the visual is not very good. You would think that our director, the Eyes and Ears Mario would spare the nation that look of me hacking up a lung. But I'm better than ever now. Went to the doctor's office, Uh not, the emergency room. Just went in and I got to see the doctor, gave me some meds and Rarren ready to go. Yes, Todd, did you ever get.
Speaker 3: An official diagnosis? Is it bronchitis? Just a really bad call? Do they give it a name or anything?
Speaker 2: I hold that it was strap and then it developed into or kind of morphed into flu like stuff, and he just said, you know, you're lucky to be alive. Yeah, yeah, warrior, that's what they were saying. Man as I left. You know, the doctors all got around and they were like, oh my god, what a warrior hashtag.
Speaker 4: Warrior kept the tonsils in And there's no no.
Speaker 2: I thought, you know, I still have my tonsils. But see that's one of those things like you know, Freddie Mercury didn't change his teeth because he thought that would change the way he he sung. And uh, I don't want I don't want to take my tonsils out because it may affect my voice. So I mean, not on the same level as Freddie Mercury. But Freddy never got his teeth fixed because he didn't want it to change his voice.
Speaker 4: Is there a tonsil vocal cord connection? That's a I'm not aware of that.
Speaker 2: But no, doctor, what is right there?
Speaker 4: It's in the Sinner. Yeah, I never knew that.
Speaker 5: That is.
Speaker 3: I was going to get my tonsils ow when I was a kid because I would always get strapped through and I didn't think for a second, you know, I was can affect my singing voice?
Speaker 2: No, it was gonna be about me but no, no, go ahead, go ahead. I was just curious, thank you. Yeah, so I still have my tonsils there. I didn't want to get them out.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, according to WebMD. Inflamed tonsils can directly affect your voice, both short term and long term, and it's a byproduct or a side effect of removing your tonsils can't affect your voice, usually short term, not long term.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, all right, well.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: It's got to hold up for at least two and a half more years after that, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 6: Get Tommy John, get like a Volunteerly get Tommy John for the throat or something if they have it.
Speaker 2: Tonsul John until John John. Okay, it's our too, best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like. Calendars, by the way, the only place you can get them the tailgate portion of our store dan Patrick dot com. We have non autograph calendars. Now you gotta play shorter by December eighth so it gets there in time for holidays. I don't want you to say basically today that would be today, and Seaton is reminding me today. Stat of the Day brought to you by Padini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. We'll talk to the Notre Dame Athletic director Pete Mvaqua. He'll join us and He's probably still a little heated here as they didn't get in and they decided to opt out of a bowl game. Rick Neuheisel covers college football CBS. He'll stop by as well. You got pro football tonight, Eagles at the Chargers. The Eagles are favored by two and a half. I thought it was a weekend of teams that lost, stealing the headlines. The Colts, certainly with Daniel Jones, I don't think they're going to make the playoffs because Jacksonville's playing well. And I look at the final month of the season and you've got they're at the Seahawks, they host the Niners, they host the Jags, they're at the Texans, and Riley Leonard, former Notre Dame quarterback, is your starting quarterback now. And even with Daniel Jones, they probably weren't going to make the playoffs. You also had the Chiefs losing last night. We had Chris Simms on Chris Simms last hour said that he thought the Chiefs were done done. Here's Patrick Mahomes on the Chiefs going forward on fourth down.
Speaker 8: Country believes in us. We executed on that in that same situation several times this season and they did a good job of passing the crossers. I wish I got like I said, I wish I got to Rashid a little bit earlier, or if I could have bought a little bit more time. In hindsight, probably hit try to hit trap over the top of the defender. But I mean he made a good play. They they made good play today. But I'll never question the decision to go for it because I believe in the offense and who we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think their chances are like sixteen percent something like that. But you know that Texans defense is great. I mean, we throw that word out Texans. Nobody's going to want to face that defense.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: If the offense and c. J. Stroud was back last night, if they can prove twenty one points, that feels like that's enough for that team to win. The Bengals lose, the Bengals should have won. The Bengals against that Bill's defense did whatever they wanted to do Burrow back to back interceptions. The Buccaneers lost. I said this last week. Usually the team that is the lesser of the two usually wins these weird games in the NFC sound and so I wasn't surprised when I tune in and the Saints were winning and they ended up winning that game against Tampa. It's just kind of crazy, and it's always it feels like it's always been that way. The Ravens losing, I thought to, you know, having control of the ball two steps almost a third step called a touchdown, that would be enough. But it wasn't. And here's John harball on the Isaiah Likely touchdown wiped off the board.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the explanation was a third foot didn't get down before the ball came out. That's what they said. I think to play with. I think the Aaron Rodgers play. I mean, just coming a rules here. It's not an officiating issue. It comes from New York. But you know, when you when you when you're making a catch, you have to you have to you have to survive the ground. You know, he didn't survive the ground. He's not he's not down by contact. He was catching. He was catching the ball on the way down with another person. So you you got to make a catch there and survive the ground. I don't know why it was the rule of where it was on that one. So all those things, well, I'm sure we'll they'll explain to us, but they had plenty of time to look at and they're the ones who are the experts on the rules.
Speaker 4: So that's how it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they called it a touchdown and then I thought, okay, that's gonna be hard to overturn. At first, I thought, okay, he's got control, and then it's two steps, and that it is a football move because the football move is to keep it away from the defender. That to me was the football move. But you got the Steelers, they survive, picking up the win, and you know, a much needed win at that. The Dolphins are still kind of hanging in there. You know, they didn't fire Mike McDaniel. They won five of six. I know they beat the Jets. It doesn't matter. You're still winning these games. I don't know if it's enough for Mike McDaniel to keep his job, but I do find it interesting to keep an eye on the Browns Titans game was probably not on my bingo card, as they like to say, but I was certainly entertained by it because I wanted to see how Cam Wore did against Miles Garrett, and I wanted to see how Shador Sanders did and in a home game against a lesser opponent or opponent that's maybe equal to them and putting up good numbers. And he did, and he played well. But you know the avalanche of people and social media that you know they sending in an email or a tweet about should or scent. What are you going to say about Shaud or sending? I don't have any There's no real opinion, it no negativity. I just said, give him a chance to play. I told you he'd start a game at some point this season. Good. I don't know what they have. You beat the Titans at home, but there is progress. It feels like he gives them more options. They're expanding the playbook from what I'm told, and good it gives them a boost. It's exciting. You still lost the game with a idiotic two point conversion, So there's positives there now. Deshaun Watson's planning on coming back next next year. I don't know if he ever plays for them. And you got to have a top five draft pick, are you going to take a quarterback? Are you sold on Shadoor Sanders? And if they are good, it's a good story, Yes.
Speaker 6: Paulie, that coaching staff for the Browns should be embarrassed how they finish that game.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 6: I mean, if there's a worst the coaching staff lost that your quarterback justic you seven plays eighty yards, you remove him from the field for your two point conversion, and you do a direct snap to a rookie running back on a complicated play. That's irresponsible.
Speaker 2: Yep, all right, we didn't even do a poll question for the first hour. At least I didn't acknowledge that. Todd's here, Seaton, Marv, Paula, yours truly in the back room, guys, all right, seton what kind of pole question or what did you put up in the first hour? Yeah, we got three of them up right now.
Speaker 11: Notre dame, your options are got hosed, will change the playoffs? Being petty or all of the above. Right now, it is a tie between is being petty and all of the above.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wish they would have played in a bowl game, but I understand why they didn't because they had nothing to gain.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: Let's say they blow out BYU and the Pop Tart Bowl. It doesn't mean anything, and I believe that game would be on ABC. I think that's what I was told.
Speaker 6: Long history of ABC and the pop tart powle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, yes, legendary, legendary tradition. But I get it, But I wish they would have still played. Now, nobody is upset that I was State in Kansas State aren't playing in their bowl games either. They got fined five hundred thousand dollars each, I believe, But Notre Dame is not in a conference, so Notre Dame decided we're not playing. But you know, Iowa State loses their head coach and maybe they decide. But once again, I would just ask my players, do you guys want to play? Yes, Todd, should Notre.
Speaker 3: Dame care that this could come across as sow losers and or afraid of the downside of losing to BYU. Not that they're afraid of playing BYU, but those are things that a lot of people feel.
Speaker 4: Unless you're a big Notre Dames fan.
Speaker 3: I think most people that are neutral think that they look like they're taking the ball and going home and they don't want any part of possibly losing to the Cougar.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll talk find out in ten minutes when we talk to their athletic director on making this decision. What other pole questions did you have for the first time re season?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I also got up there the Chiefs playoff chances are dead on life support or alive.
Speaker 2: And well, well you did predict your your wild prediction, your hot prediction, your crazy prediction, the Chiefs would not make the playoffs. Closer and closer. Yes, it's pretty incredible. Seton said the Chiefs would not make the playoffs June third. I believe not that.
Speaker 11: I'm okay, yeah, somewhere in that vicinity all what was the other pole question that you had? We just put this one up there right now. Worst loss this weekend Bucks, Chiefs, Colts, Ravens.
Speaker 2: I'd say the Chiefs because Vegas had them as one of the favorites to still win the Super Bowl and now looks like they're done. Buccaneers can still win that division, Ravens can still win that division. I think the Colts losing and losing their quarterback and losing one of the real good stories this year, I mean, that's a that's a triple loss there, it feels like. But I would say the Chiefs because bigger picture, the Chiefs out of that group could still win the Super Bowl, or at least they would be viewed as one of the favorites if they were in the playoff picture.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pauling and Daniel Jones is an unrestricted free agent. A month ago, he was on the roll and would probably got one of those mid levels Sam Darnold three years, one hundred million dollar contracts going forward from the Colts or other And now his career is completely in flux, completely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's not going to be ready to go next season. To start next season. You got the Anthony Richardson situation. That's a mess. You got Riley Leonard as your backup now starting quarterback there that was. That was an expensive injury for Daniel Jones. I mean, that's the business side of this. If he stays healthy, let's say they do get into the playoffs, he's gonna get a one hundred million dollar deal because they don't want Anthony Richardson as their starter, at least not now, and Daniel Jones would have been the de facto Okay, all right, he played pretty well, which he did, He started out pretty well, but he's playing with a broken fibula now. I don't know if he should be out there with a broken fibula. Of all my injuries and surgeries. I've never had a broken fibula or torn achilles, and I don't know if one can lead the other. But you would think your quarterback out there with a broken fibula should not be out there with a broken fibula and then he blows out his achilles. But Riley Leonard is now you're starting quarterback. Now you've got to get a backup quarterback in there as well, and the schedules really tough the final month of the season. Chris and Syracuse Good Morning, Chris, Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 12: Hey, thanks Dan, ye I got a best and a couple of commis to threats him. My best to one of the original dan Ciples in Dan Nation on the Dan Patrick Show, Tillian Bloomington, who is a man Indiana football fan. He has to be so excited with his Hoosiers, who are kind of the poster child of the new age at college football. No real dominant teams, just a lot of very good teams.
Speaker 5: And in the.
Speaker 12: SEC Title game, Alabama had to cover ninety one yards for their loan touchdown and Georgia had to only cover one hundred and thirty yards combined. All four of their touchdowns and Dan this year is one of the few years that Notre Dame not being in the ACC conference came back to bite him. It not only cost him a berth in the playoffs, but with the ACC so week this year, it probably cost him a home first round playoff game. And I wonder if the committee leaving Notre Dame out is their way of trying to force him into a conference.
Speaker 2: Uh okay, I got to find this out, and I'm going to find it out in about five minutes. What role did the ACC play in Notre Dame getting in or not getting in? And find out next year on the Dan pass Trick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app. Fox Sports Radio is taking over YouTube and you can be a part of it. J Just go to YouTube and search Fox Sports Radio, hit that subscribe button and smash that notification bell and catch all the videos from your favorite shows, Dube Pro's and a Cup of Joe, Dan Patrick, Colin Coward, Doug Gottlieb Cavino, and Rich The Odd Couple with Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington, The Jason Smith Show with Mike Harmon, and The Ben Maller Show, Fox Sports Radio on YouTube. Subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon and comment away.
Speaker 2: We'll get some more phone calls. Coming up. Best and Worst of the weekend, Which you saw that you liked you didn't like. Rick Neuheisel covers college football. Former head coach will join us coming up top of the hour. Pete Bavaqua, Notre Dame athletic director. A couple of months ago, I said, oh, I look forward to talking to you again. I didn't know we would be talking about this. How did we get here? Pete?
Speaker 7: Dan, first of all, yeah, thanks thanks for having me on. It's good to see you yet yesterday, that's the question. I don't know how we got here. That's kind of what we have a problem with. I don't have a good answer for you, you know, and a lot of conversations here on campus the last twenty four hours, as you can imagine, and you know, I want to make one thing clear, Dan, we have no problems with the teams that made it in. They're all great teams. You know, Miami's a great team, Alabama's a great team. If Texas Vanderbilt. We're a great team. What we're so confused by and frustrated with is the process. You know, every step along the way, since the first CFP rankings came out, we were led to believe we were in as long as we took care of business, and we certainly took care of business with this ten game winning streak. Then you think about that first ranking. You know, we and Miami were both six and two. They had obviously already beat us the first game of the year. They were eighteenth, We were tenth. You know, the only thing that we did since that point was win every game by over an average of over thirty points. And you know, all of a sudden, we're eleventh and on the outside looking in. And you know, when we sit and talk, when I talked to Marcus, when when we talked to our team, we don't have any good answers for that. So we're just we're just really frustrated that we had the rug pulled out from underneath the stan.
Speaker 2: Were you able to lobby at all Sunday morning, you know, or had the decision been made that you were not going to make the playoffs?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know exactly when the decision was made. You know, we you know, we made our case. We stayed at our point of view. But again, if you're us, we were told from day one of the rankings that you know, we were in and we were ninth, and then all of a sudden, you know, we go play a game against Stanford. I felt like in the middle of the night, you know, and we we we took care of business, and Alabama has a really tough game against a an Auburn team that's having a tough year. And we wake up on Tuesday and we fall below Alabama for the first time. And it was all about the fierce conversation between Notre Dame and Alabama. And I heard something to the effect that Alabama went forward on fourth down, so that made an impression, and just our heads were spinning, like where's the logic, where's the rationale? Why are we being kind of punished and the only ones that seemed to be moving in the wrong direction and yet winning and having an unbelievably dominant end to the season. It's just we're confused, we're sad, and damn we're frustrated.
Speaker 2: And I was told there's nothing that's secret in those meetings, it eventually gets out, and I was told during last week that it felt like where Alabama was ranked that Notre Dame. In the words of my source, you guys were being set up for disappointment. So this is somebody involved in this. And then all of a sudden the Miami situation, which if they ranked Miami ahead of you, fine, I don't have any problem with that. I just didn't understand the rationale. And then I wondered, did the ACC lobby at all? Did what role did the ACC play in any of this? In your opinion?
Speaker 7: Well, I would tell you, I mean again, I have tremendous respect for Miami, you know, the great team, great school, their athletic director, Dan Radakovich is a good friend, and all the teams in the ACC, great wonderful universities. We have no gripes about any of the schools in the ACC, but we were mystified by the actions of the conference to attack you know, their biggest really business partner in football and a member of their conference in twenty four of our other sports. And I would tell you, Dan, I wouldn't be honest with you if I didn't say that they have certainly done permanent damage to the relationship between the conference and Notre Dame. What do you mean, just we didn't appreciate the fact that we were singled out repeatedly and compared to Miami, not by Miami. Miami has every right to do that, but it raised a lot of eyebrows here that the conference was taking shots at us, and you know, that's just not something we chose to do. We wouldn't choose to do that in the future. People might disagree with us, but that's just not something that we'd be comfortable with. And again, we have no problem with any of these teams. These are all great teams. You look at those teams, Miami, like I said, great season, they beat us. You think about Alabama, and nobody's had more success in college football over the last decade than Alabama. But Dan, you know, I mean, you follow the sport so closely. Everybody was saying that we were one of a handful of teams that could win this whole thing and that we have zero percent chance. Even Nick Saban, you know, nobody knows more about college football maybe in the history of the world than Nick Saban, you know, and he said it yesterday, like, how is Notre Dame, not in this. I mean, everybody's just kind of confused and per played, and we don't have good answers for the kids on our team, for our student athletes.
Speaker 2: Are you going to reevaluate your relationship with the ACC the overall relationship.
Speaker 7: I would just say it's been strained, irreparable, Well you never say irreparable. But it's opened our eyes and you know, we we it caught our attention. But you know, we'll we'll we'll move past this like we are, you know, as you know, we're already focused on next season. Uh, you know, we made the decision not to play in a bowl game, as I know you're you're well aware, and a lot of a lot of people have asked me about that. And you know when Marcus, we watched the presentation show, the selection show with the team, and then Marcus, like he always does, was wonderful, got up and for somebody that always has great answers, he was brutally honest with the team and said he didn't have a lot of answers. Doesn't understand how this happened, Why this happened, Why a team that thought it was doing what it needed to do all of a sudden kind of woke up on kind of the wrong side of this. And then just as you're kind of dealing with that, you start getting these calls from other bowls. And you know, the role of a captain on the Notre Dame football team is a role that the program and Marcus takes very very seriously. And he talked to all the captains, you know, and said, hey, what are you guys thinking, What's what does the team thinking. Let's talk about this, and you know, to a person, the captains and some of the other you know, underclassmen on the team said, listen, we are such a close knit team. We've done so much this season. We overcame those two opening losses, we rallied, we dominated in the last ten games. We can't imagine taking the field not as that team. And it's reality, Dan, you know that certain players wouldn't participate in that game. You think about some body with the future that he has, like a Jeremiah Love, a Jadarian Price, Eli Rarid, and you know Emil Wagner, who's one of the most impressive people I've met in my life. Hopefully, after he's done playing football, I hope he runs for president. One day, it just wouldn't be the same, and you know, made the decision that it was time to start thinking about next season. Give these these student athletes a break. They have exams coming up, and then you know, really hopefully they they'll go home and spend Christmas in the holidays with their family and friends.
Speaker 2: Feels like a message being sent as well, Pete.
Speaker 7: Well we're not happy, Dan, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Help me understand this though. So are you guaranteed of playoff birth if you're twelve or higher next season?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I don't want to say too much about the memorandum of understanding, but that's certainly been reported. That's out there, and what you said is accurate.
Speaker 2: It So next year, if you're ranked in the top twelve, you're automatically in the playoffs. Correct, Okay, And everybody agreed that, Like this was drawn up my Notre Dame, and then the college Football Playoff Committee said we'll sign off on that.
Speaker 7: Well, it was part of the negotiations as we were contemplating the various changes that go into the committee and in preparation for the extension of the ESPN deal.
Speaker 2: Are we looking at a sixteen team field next season? Dan?
Speaker 7: I go back to what I said when you were here on campus for the USC game. I firmly believe that the right answer is sixteen teams with five automatic qualifiers and eleven at large. And maybe there's no perfect answers. You know, think about this year, Dan, say we were four teams, there wouldn't be any arguments. I mean, those four teams. I think that's crystal clear. Those are the right four teams. I don't think anybody would argue so for twelve fourteen sixteen. I happened to think sixteen is the answer. I think the majority of the vast and overwhelming majority of the people in the college football management committee room agree with me. I think anything beyond sixteen, in my opinion, is a mistake because it would interfere with the importance of the regular season and all. By the way, did we feel that this year, right, but that's important? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: You know, we knew we had two tough games played. You know, well, we certainly got better over the course of the season, but we lost the two great teams by a total of four points. We felt we had zero wiggle room. We felt we did what we needed to do. It turns out we didn't have a chance, right, and that's what's so disappointing. But I think sixteen teams with the five and eleven format is the way to go down.
Speaker 2: Pete mcvauqua, Notre Dame Athletic Director joining us. But when is this voted on? When is this decided or is it already decided now?
Speaker 7: It's been a series of conversations for the better part of a year or more. As you saw, it was reported that we have a bit of an extension from when we need to inform ESPN of what the format will be. We'll meet as a group over the National Championship weekend. I'm not sure if anything's going to get resolved as it relates to format in that room at that time, but these conversations are ongoing. If I had to guess what happens next year, I think there's a good chance we stay at twelve. I hope we can keep pushing for sixteen, but Dan, I just don't know how that's going to end.
Speaker 2: College football is at a crossroads, it feels like, but it does take something to make change. So maybe what happened here with Notre Dame brings about change, So it could be a catalyst, do you see it that way?
Speaker 7: Well, again, we're frustrated with the process, not the teams. They're all great teams, and it's a bunch of team BYU has a great argument. Texas, Vanderbilt, Miami, Alabama, Notre Dame. We all have great arguments. It's the process that bothers us.
Speaker 2: Ranking shows bother me, Pete, because well.
Speaker 7: They bothered me too, because you know, if we said, well, if we had assembled as a team on Sunday and rankings hadn't told us for the previous weeks, we're in.
Speaker 13: We're in, we're in.
Speaker 7: Take care of business, take care of business, and hey, you know what, Notre Dame, you're eleven, and now you're going to get squeezed out because the conference tie ins and Miami beat you, And hey, I get it. But these ranking shows, as I said yesterday, like what's the point why kind of send these signals and get the hopes up of these of these teams, these coaches, these kids on the team that believe they're doing everything necessary. And then, like I said, it just felt in that room a collective sense of the rug being taken out from under us without any explanation. At that I've heard Dan that has me feeling better about it.
Speaker 2: Casual fan here's this and says it's sour grapes, Notre Dame trying to be bigger than everybody more important.
Speaker 7: You would say, what, Well, listen, everybody kind of wants to do right by their team. We felt like we did what we needed to do this season to earn a spot in the college football playoffs. We feel that we have one of the very best teams in the country. I think the majority of people who follow this sport so closely agreed. Every indication we had from that first ranking suggested that that committee agreed with us. We were always being compared to Alabama. We couldn't possibly have ended the year any better than we did. I get why people think it's sour grapes, but you know it's disappointment.
Speaker 9: Dan.
Speaker 7: I mean this is we take this seriously, as do other universities, and you know, the rankings can't just be musical chairs at some fifth grade birthday party. They have to mean something, and to me, what happened to us really kind of was alarming.
Speaker 2: Just to get you on record, you're not anti pop tarts, right, because you guys were reportedly going to the pop Tart Bowl to play BYU Dan.
Speaker 7: That the irony in that is I love pop tarts, and I particularly love the brown sugar pop tarts. I probably need too many of them now, I'm a huge fan of pop tarts. That's nothing to do with pop tarts, Okay.
Speaker 2: I just want to make sure we got that on record. I would say, great to talk to you again, but thanks for We appreciate you coming on and giving your side of the thing. If the people watching on TV behind you, what are all those numbers behind you?
Speaker 7: So these behind me, these are actual bench seats from Notre Dame Stadium. So when we did the extension and the renovation and created crossroads here, there were some of the original seats left over, so we created a wall here with some of the original bench seats in Notre Dame Stadium. So this is the back of my office that you're looking at.
Speaker 2: How old are those seats?
Speaker 7: Probably some of them different ages but different panels, but some of them are over a century old.
Speaker 2: Thanks again, Pete, We appreciate your time now.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me on DAN, and good to see you and hope to see us out.
Speaker 2: That's Pete Mavaqua he's the Notre Dame athletic director. Yeah, I understand it. You just want to know what the rules are. And I'm not a Notre Dame apologist. I'm just saying, let's just look at common sense here, and I'm not anti Miami. If Miami was ranked ahead of Notre Dame, fine, just you can't wait a month and all of a sudden go you know, Miami should be ranked ahead of Notre Dame put him there to begin with? Was there something up with the ACC? I think there's a whole lot more with that story, and Pete I think would love to have talked about that, but you could tell what the ACC did and did not do is going to be there for a little while. But he did say that rankings can't be musical chairs like a fifth grade birthday party. And he's right. It's these hey every Tuesday, the big reveal on the mother Ship. It's great programming for them, but it puts the college Football Playoff Committee in a tough situation because you got to explain, Okay, what happened then, and why is it different now, and why is it different in three or four weeks from now? And was Notre Dame being set up for disappointment. As my source said, this is last week. They said this, and then you had the Miami situation. But maybe it brings about change, But it didn't sound like Pete thought that they were expanding to sixteen teams. And I had been told that they were going to first I was told they weren't, and then I was told that they there's real strong momentum to have a sixteen team playoff next year. And now Notre Dame is guaranteed if they're ranked in the top twelve next year. And we even said that after their first two losses. I said, if they run the table, they're in two losses, quality losses beginning of the year losses, and they'll make the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yes, Ton, it's very interesting saying how the relationship with the AEC is strained. That'll be interesting to follow moving forward. What's going to happen there.
Speaker 2: And that covers a lot of sports here. That's not just football, because they do have a partial schedule there with some ACC teams, but now you're talking about all the other sports they have with the ACC. All right, we'll take a break. We will give you our best and worst to the weekend. Right after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. David in Ohio. Best and Worst of the weekend, David.
Speaker 14: Hey, David, Dan got a Hey, Dan got a Best and worst Dealers finally winning against the Ravens last time we beat them in Baltimore. Kenny Pickett and Tyler Huntley were the quarterback second best.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 14: Seeing Todd's Broncos succeed in AFC West and looks like they're gonna get a new possibly a new champ uh this uh this year, and it's just really good to see. That's my best.
Speaker 2: Thank you, gust In la Hi Gus. Best and Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 9: Good morning, mister pat Thick. Best of the weekend got to be Indiana to me, you know, everybody's been kind of like waiting for them to lose, just so they could be like see see told you, I told you. But great for them, for Nanum and those of the Heisman winner. Can't wait to see that one play out. Worst of the weekend. Look, you know, to me, it was flat out just arrogance of Notre Shame to sit there and be like, well we didn't get in until we're not gonna go to Bunny Bull game.
Speaker 5: You think Texas is sitting there right now, Texas and probably could maybe be in there, has maybe a case or whatever, and he's like, well, we should be in there too, you know. I mean, like, dude, don't don't schedule Syracuse blow them out knowingly seventy.
Speaker 13: To seven and be like, see, we're so good.
Speaker 5: See we'd like we should be in there. No, dude, it's arrogant. You guys, they played like a champion. How about your show up and just.
Speaker 2: Play the game, all right? Thank you, Gus, Michael and Miami Hi, Mike.
Speaker 13: Hey Dan six to three hundred. That was Miami getting in. My worst honestly is Notre Dame getting out, and that's because I thought the committee would have them play each other again in the semi finals. With the ACC debacle of how they did their rankings, is I think what pushed Notre Dame outs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's there's another story to tell here, and I think it has to do with the ACC because the ACC was going to lobby hard for Miami and maybe not lobby so hard for Notre Dame at least from what I'm told and two sources on this, so I've been trying to get information on it. The Alabama placing is a little questionable. Prior to the College Football Playoff Commedye reveal, Miami put him in front of Notre Dame. Nobody would have had a problem with that. I wouldn't felt when you let them jump. Alabama is non competitive in the SEC title game. Yes they got there, but they were not competitive at all, and then you're not dropping. I don't know it just it felt a little nefarious there. Todd Best and worst of the weekend. My best of the weekend.
Speaker 3: They lost their football coach, but Ioway State basketball Saly dominated Number one, produced eighty one fifty eight with the help of eleven three pointers. Boiler Makers twenty three point loss, largest non conference home loss by a number one team in ap POLE history, tied for the largest.
Speaker 4: Homeless ever by a number one team.
Speaker 3: Wow worst Alabama getting shut out for the first three quarters against Georgia the game by three touchdowns twenty eight seven. The Dogs had one hundred and forty one total rushing yards. Crimson tied negative three.
Speaker 2: Seat and best and worst.
Speaker 11: My best of the weekend is Mike Tomlin getting a huge dove against the Ravens. I guess I'm not any good at coaching. Why don't I just beat the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 11: My worst of the weekend Tampa Bay losing that was an absolute must win. They've lost I think five of the last seven or something like that. If there was an NFL playoff selection committee, they would be on the outside looking in.
Speaker 2: Marvin Best and worst.
Speaker 15: Best at the weekend Titans running back Tony Pollard twenty five carries harness sixty one yards, two touchdowns.
Speaker 4: Worst of the weekend the Commanders. What happened this season?
Speaker 15: After making the NFC Championship game last year, they're now three and ten and they got shut out. Now harder is for NFL two and to get shut out.
Speaker 2: I'm watching the Broncos and the Raiders. I have this bet with Todd. I had the Raiders with a better record than the Broncos, so I got to get a pie to the face.
Speaker 4: I think they're eleven two and two and eleven right now standing?
Speaker 2: So can we call?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 2: We can settle the bet? Now?
Speaker 4: Probably, I don't see the Raiders catching up.
Speaker 2: With four games, all right, maybe a double or nothing.
Speaker 4: They're gonna have to make it like a thirty game schedule or something.
Speaker 2: So you're down by ten, the line is seven and a half, and the to end the game you kick a field goal, and then all of a sudden you lose by seven when the line is seven and a half. What team goes for a field goal at the end of the game when you know that you need ten points so you're gonna get You're not even going for a touchdown? Oh gues Todd.
Speaker 3: The only thing I thought of was that they were hoping the kick would take less than five seconds, and then they cut it to seven and an on side kick with one second left that somehow they pick up and run in for a touch on something.
Speaker 4: Crazier things have happened, I guess.
Speaker 2: I guess technically, but you can't advance an onside.
Speaker 3: Can't so I don't even know. So would there be time for one play if they got it?
Speaker 2: Probably not, I don't think so. But once again, I do watch the lines as a former gambler, and I'm always curious, like, whenever there's a last second, you know, play one way or another, I go, how did that affect this spread? And most times it does? PAULI Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 6: I got two bests, as obvious as it is. The Indiana Hoosiers beating Ohio State and doing it with defense. They held them the fifty eight yards rushing two point two a Carrie if you're from Earth, Indiana being the number one football team in the country is one of the wildest stories of my lifetime. Unbelievable and then one that went under the radar a little bit. This weekend FCS playoffs, Illinois State Redbirds take down North Dakota State, previously undefeated, twenty nine to twenty eight in a fantastic game. Huge day for Illinois State.
Speaker 2: I think Illinois State was a twenty two to twenty three point underdog in that game. Rich and Pittsburgh, Hey Rich, thanks for holding What's on your mind.
Speaker 16: Was the whole thing for the ACC. The Notre Dame Miami was created by the ACC. Why was Duke playing Virginia and not the best second best team? Miami planed Virginia, then Miami and Virginia, who over won, went right into the tournament.
Speaker 2: Well, there's some kind of like five team tiebreaker that Duke somehow won. I yeah, I'm with you on that. I would hope that you had a better ACC title game, but then Duke ends up winning. Yes he did. Sounded like Jim Beahon checking in there. Oh well, Jim's not doing anything now, Aaron and fort Wayne? Hi, Aeron, went's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: By hey, Dan, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: That's the worst of the weekend.
Speaker 5: Uh, definitely my Hoosiers taken down.
Speaker 16: Ohio State and Paully is right.
Speaker 14: I was thinking about this, like, what kind of story is there ever been of a team rising up like Indiana?
Speaker 13: I mean, and you get it at March Madness.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, we gave Dion so much credit for what he did at Colorado, right, everybody lauding, Oh my god, look at what Deon did. They won one game the previous year or whatever. Then they won four and it was like game day and you know, everybody's out there. Kurt Signetti did something that's never been done before, Like that turnaround is a million times more than what Dion did at Colorado. Colorado has won a national title before, Colorado has had a Heisman Trophy winner before. Colorado has played good football before Indiana has not. What he did in two years is incredible. He should be the Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year. Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: From eighteen ninety nine until two years ago, Indian never won ten plus games in a season. The past two years eleven wins, thirteen wins.
Speaker 2: Rick new Heisel from CBS Sports will join us more of your phone calls as well update the poll results. It is a best and worst of the weekend. Monday eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle atp show. Good morning. If you're watching on peacock, thank you for downloading the app Fight a hour in this Monday. Right after this