Speaker 1: Hey, guys, I have to remind you wherever you're listening to this podcast to make sure that you rate it but rate it five stars. If you're gonna rate it four stars, you know what, don't even bother five stars. Please also subscribe. That matters. Subscribe and rate but rate high. All right, So when did you create your first language? And, by the way, some of your earlier languages do you look back on and go, oh.
Speaker 2: Gosh, yeah, of course. But I created my first language my second my second year at Berkeley.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you put all the rules into it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? You gotta.
Speaker 1: Do you come up with swear words? Oh?
Speaker 2: That's usually what they asked for first?
Speaker 3: Uh huh yeah, tashhash Tosh Show Club show.
Speaker 1: Hello, it's me your host, Daniel, and welcome to Tosh Show. Now hit me with some smooth jazz. That feels right. Oh, I'm gonna keep going. I get it. Let it play all right. That seems like enough. Eddie you with me? I'm with you, good to hear. Let's start with our favorite segment Hello from Toss Show, where I send a personal hello to one of our subscribers. Now, this one comes from Stuart. He's a fan from the United Kingdom. WHOA That means the Toss Show is mister worldwide. That's exciting. Stuart went through some tough times last year, but listening to my comedy has provided some degree of comfort to him. Well, I don't believe you, Stuart, but it's a very nice thing to say. Who else we got? James in Monterey listens with his day add on the way to school. Uh, my dad and I used to listen to old Focus on the Family sermons, equally impactful, I'd say, yeah, different times. All right, what's going on? The oscars? Gearing up for the Oscars? Getting so excited? What's nominated for Best Picture? Eddie? So we've got ten of them? Well, stop there, at Eddie? You just you said ten? Ten? Holy shit? All right, let's see it. What do we got? We get? American fiction didn't see it.
Speaker 4: Anatomy of a Fall.
Speaker 1: Didn't see it. The Holdovers didn't see it.
Speaker 4: Killers of the Flower Moon didn't see it. Maestro didn't see it. Oppenheimer didn't see it. Past Lives didn't see it. Poor things, what was it? Poor things didn't see it? The Zone of Interest, Oh god, it didn't see it?
Speaker 1: Barbie. All right, that's ten. That's ten. Guess what I'm guessing. Guess out loud, I guess, I'll loud. Guess ten. You've seen three? I said, didn't see it. I didn't see it. The fuck's wrong with you, idiot? I saw Barbie. I saw one of the ten. This is why I could never host for a lot of reasons, but one the main reason is I wouldn't even want to watch these movies to write a joke about them. I saw Barbie. Ah, and here's what I loved about Barbie. Running time under two hours. I guarantee you what's the running time on all those movies. You don't have to tell me. I already know too long. But I saw Barbie, and guess what. Enjoyed it. Didn't think I was gonna enjoy it. My wife wanting to watch it. We watched it. I was like, oh, I love it. I love Margot Robbie. Most of you know Margot Robbie and I would have gotten married had it not been for the fact that my mother is also named Margo, and that's a breaker. Hey, guess what I just learned what the other day, I had this pondering question and I was like, you know, I'm going to look this up and see if it's a thing, and sure, shit, it is. Some people when they floss their teeth, I'm one of them. When you floss your teeth, your nose itches. And I was like, this has to be a thing, because every time I floss my nose really itches. And apparently, according to this one study that was done that there's some wires in your brain that get mixed up when you're flossing, and it makes you think your nose itches. Isn't that interesting? That is? I thought it was? What was I talking about? The oscars? That's the problem. This is the biggest night in Hollywood, and I'm way more fascinated by my nose itching while flossing my teeth. No, I'm sure those movies were great and the people, you know, they did a lot of hard work to make them. So there's nine movie or did you see any of those movies? How many of the ten did you see? Eddie two point five? Oh? Which one of those did you turn off halfway through? Openheimer? Oppenheimer?
Speaker 4: Oppenheimer, Oppenheimer.
Speaker 1: It's Oppenheimer. I think we all agree it's Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer. Hey, I'll tell you what you should do instead of watching Oppenheimer, watch John Wick four twice and thank me later. Let's get this show on the road. If you watch the Oscars this weekend, you won't see today's guest. He works on movies and is the best at what he does, but the Oscars don't have a category for it, probably because his job is too stupid. Enjoy Pasha, my guest today, has created languages for Game of Thrones, Dune, and dozens of other things I've never seen. He's a nightmare to play scrabble with and has my favorite made up job. Please welcome David. David, thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. By the way, I haven't even seen everything that I've worked on.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, I always hate to say this to people. I hate to be completely honest when it comes to movies and things like that. I haven't seen a lot and I don't enjoy watching a ton of stuff. Sometimes i'll watch them, I'm like, oh, that was good, that was great, but like, yes, I've never seen a frame of Game of Thrones and it's not my thing. But people always think I'm saying it because I think, oh, I'm too cool to watch TV. No, I could, you know, I could watch the Kardashians. I'll just put that on. I'll find it interesting for a little bit. I guess I like to watch sports. What am I gonna do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I am?
Speaker 1: Who I am?
Speaker 2: No, I get that. I think that of all the things that I've worked on, the only things I would have watched probably are the Marvel movies, just because you know, it was a big thing to go out and see the Marvel movies and Elemental the Pixar movie, because I like watching the Pixar movies. Other than that, probably would not have watched anything that I worked on, just on my own.
Speaker 1: You were a part of Elemental, Oh you bet so.
Speaker 2: It's Jesse, my my fiance. We both worked on it.
Speaker 5: Your names, that's easy day.
Speaker 1: Elemental As has a place in my heart really because it's the first movie that I took my son to see in a theater. Oh. We like wait, we we like wait. We looked at the lineup of what was coming out, and we've like Elemental that's gonna be the one. And it was his first It was a big day. We built it up for like months and months, and we went to a theater and it was. It was like it was the cutest thing in the world watching it. So now I care about that movie for the rest of my life. So you are a conno lingus? Am I saying that? Right? Con? What is it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: It's not Conda Langer or conn Langer?
Speaker 2: Con Linger con lang Linger?
Speaker 1: Is that a? Is that a real thing? It is? Now?
Speaker 2: It's in the Oxford English Dictionary. We got it in there.
Speaker 1: I have so many questions, but my first question that I ask all my guests, do you believe in ghosts?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not? And I want to go on record and make sure that everybody knows, No, I do not believe in ghosts, not one bit. However, I am absolutely terrified of them.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the right answer. Thank you. How do I get into this bullshit career of yours? You make up languages? First of all, I want to you're highly educated, allegedly fairly like, did you really go to Berkeley? Because I don't believe you? And I'll tell you why, sure, just because I feel like you're in a profession. It's not like you're the governor. They're not going to really check, like they could just be anything written on your Wikipedia page and I'm taking it as gospel. Yeah, but you're saying you did go enough.
Speaker 2: I've got some photographs, but no, Like, it's an interesting point you about language specifically when it comes to not checking, because language is the type of thing where it's different from anything else that's going to be on a television show or a movie. Right, If you're making a physical prop for a movie or a television show, what it needs to do is it needs to look real on screen. It doesn't matter that the throne made out of swords on Game of Thrones wasn't actually made out of melted down swords if it looks like it was, and in fact, it was three D printed, but it doesn't matter because it looks like swords on screen. And that's fine. A language, though, and this isn't just a created language I'm talking about any language. Languages aren't real things.
Speaker 1: Right, They're all eventually are at some point. We're just made up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And not only that, they don't exist anywhere. Like, So, if you think about English right now, we're both speaking it, we both understand it, but it's not as if it's somewhere, you know, It's not as if English exists somewhere and we can go check to see if what we said is really English. You know, it's just English, if basically you understand what I'm saying, and we both agree that we're speaking speaking English of other people agree and understand, and so there's no way to check or verify. That's something I use it.
Speaker 1: I always use my phone for a word and in Google like, lets me know if I'm enunciating it properly. Then it the other day with inclement inclement weather, do you say inclement or inclement? You say inclement.
Speaker 2: No, that's another plausible way of saying it wrong. I'm thinking, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know inclement, it's inclement, I don't know clement. It's bizarre. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It's bizarre because the truth of it, it's not like any of them is actually right or wrong. It's really just a percentage. So there is a percentage of people that say superfluous instead of superfluous, okay, and that percentage is probably higher than people that's that say in clement versus inclement.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But on the other hand, envelope envelope saying either one, it's more likely to be considered right by most people. It's not like one of them is incorrect.
Speaker 1: How does this get back to the fact that I don't think you went to Berkeley? Good? Did anybody ever verify like your background? I'm just saying like that because you did. You know, this is Hollywood. Nobody verifies what I'm saying. Yeah, so you.
Speaker 2: Have heard of dialoge coaches.
Speaker 1: Are there lies on your Wikipedia page or things that aren't true? There isn't mine?
Speaker 2: Shoot, okay, let me let me think there there. Certainly there certainly was at one point in time. I put my birth date on Wikipedia because I often forge a Wikipedia. What do you say?
Speaker 1: Wikipedia? Oh?
Speaker 2: Wow? Do you also say Pokemon?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: I don't ever say that, because I'm a fucking adult.
Speaker 2: No, I'm definitely a Wikipedia person.
Speaker 1: Am I supposed to say Wikipedia? I say Wikipedia? Oh? Yes, I I I always ask because I know, oh you know, I have a Florida public school education. I know the hand that I was apology, and I know I say things wrong all the time, so I always stop when somebody says something different. I'm like, wait, am I saying it? So I'm supposed to be saying Wikipedia?
Speaker 2: I mean, supposed to is a weird thing. I would say more Americans probably say Wikipedia, I guess, which just shows how mainstream it is.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the language stuff. So how many languages can you actually speak? And I'm not talking bullshit ones I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, like the ones that I feel good about, just speaking little bits of.
Speaker 1: Tiny bits, probably five six. Okay, this, I mean that's impressive, but not like, oh my goodness, now it's not all right. So when did you create your first language? And by the way, some of your earlier languages do you look back on and.
Speaker 2: Go ooh, oh, goshyah, of course. But I created my first language my second my second year at Berkeley. I had been studying Arabic in Russian the first year, and I had to stop both of them because the next Arabic course is going to be offered at nine in the morning, which is way too early, and the next Russian course is going to be offered it eight in the morning, which is just even earlier than too early.
Speaker 1: And so you were like, like, I don't want to learn Russian or Arabic because of the time of day that it was taught. Yes, Instead, I'm going to focus on Klingon.
Speaker 2: I started studying linguistics, which was really cool. And really fascinating because it's a scientific study of all languages, and so you don't focus on learning anyone language, you learn the patterns behind them. It was a lot of fun. I really took to it very easily. I did miss the language study, though, and so part of what I did was I started creating my own language to kind of incorporate elements of languages that I missed. Arabic in particular. Loved the Arabic language. Oh it's just a lifehole, so scary, ah really not really Grammatically it works like nothing else I'd ever seen.
Speaker 1: But jive? Do you speak jive?
Speaker 5: She me?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: How came up?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 1: Messing?
Speaker 2: My old lady got to be running cool upside down? Is he not a language? It's more of a well, okay, hold on, how dare you When we say when we say not a language, it's kind of like saying, like, is American English a language? The answer is yes, of course it is, but it's not a separate language from English. Al told you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So it's like any type of a dialect, you know, is that a language? Like, of course it's a language. It's an instantiation of a language, but that dialect is not going to be a separate language from another dialect. That's why it's called a dialect.
Speaker 1: Talking in tongues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, haamalana lel.
Speaker 1: Are you jealous of them? No?
Speaker 2: That's I mean, it's just complete bullshit, all right? What Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you kidd me though. That's a beautiful language. Can you decipher someone that's talking in tongues?
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing. You can actually tell if somebody is talking in tongues, if they're if their native language is English, if their native language is French, and so on and so forth. Because it's basically a gibberish, but gibberish itself has patterns to it.
Speaker 1: I was gonna speak a lot of gibberish to you during this interview, but I won't.
Speaker 5: Do.
Speaker 1: You want to know why, because all of my gibberish tends to start to head very Asian for some reason, and I don't I don't want to do it. Yeah, I don't know why it does it. But when I speak gibberish, all of a sudden, it's like, I'm surprised you haven't been canceled, because it does seem like every made up language kind of teeters on a little racist. No, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Now I will say this, the people that I create languages for often tend towards some sort of racist definitely. I usually try to kind of rescue it by putting a language in there that is more or less realistic. And the truth is that, I mean, languages themselves, they don't have any characteristics that you know, that reflect anything about a race or region of people. I mean there's the vocabulary items themselves, right, but nothing about the nunciation, nothing about the grammar. All of that is just kind of cultureless.
Speaker 1: Really, did you know that this was what you were going to do? Had you met anyone that had done this before?
Speaker 2: No, I like many people I think before like two thousand and nine, really, or many people who created languages. Were they independently invented the idea. Some had heard about Tolkien, some had heard about Klingon. I hadn't happened to so, so like many others, I kind of independently invented the idea of creating my own language. It was fun, and then when I met others, I was like, ah, crap, Now I don't have a corner on the market.
Speaker 1: And are others there, tons of thousands. Are any of them successful in what regard making a living somebody giving you more than a dollar?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think anybody else has ever made a living doing this. There's certainly other people that have been paid to do it. Yeah, and it's and it's growing. It's a growing field. But I don't think anybody before me actually made a living creating.
Speaker 1: Like, can AI just take your job away from you? Can AI do like just made up stuff?
Speaker 2: AI can take anybody's job if the person employing them values the AI over a human being. So it's like, if you think about like writers in Hollywood, it's like, well, if the producer doesn't care, absolutely, AI can take a writer's job. If they care even the slightest amount, they'll see what the AI is producing is chipperish.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I stand with with the producers as a rule, whoever is writing the check, that's who I stand with.
Speaker 2: But you know, they've been doing gibberish for created languages ever since Hollywood has existed. They're still doing it with Star Wars in the Star Wars universe. They love their gibberish.
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me talk some dollars, Okay, because I need to know this and I need you to answer it honestly. If you if you feel like you don't, you can. You don't have to do your own personal experience. But yeah, a real, real big budget television show hires you to create a language. They can pay whatever. What's the rate to come up with a language?
Speaker 2: I've never met. I've never worked on a television show or movie that wasn't strapped for cash. It was just like in negotiations with them, it would be like, oh gosh, and I tell you, we just the budget. It's just so constrained. We don't have a lot of money for right now. Every single one was absolutely destitute and.
Speaker 1: There's no union to protect you for god. Now, okay, well give me a ballparker what I can think? You know what? I could go in as an asking.
Speaker 2: Price anywhere from like four hundred dollars to like one hundred.
Speaker 1: Thousand, and as for the whole project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and everything in between. There's absolutely no consistency.
Speaker 1: But about one hundred thousand, could that be a project that only takes you a month to do?
Speaker 2: Well, that's an interesting question. So when it comes to create a language, I mean theoretically, theoretically right, you could just do it instantly, right, because language only exists in your mind, and so if you can come up with all of this stuff and it coheres and you can remember it, right, you can just create a language just by snapping your fingers. The problem, Yeah, the problem is will you remember that seven months from now? Yeah, and so and so. Where where the time comes in is recording all of this stuff so that you can reproduce it and others can reproduce it and it remains consistent.
Speaker 1: I mean, how do you put all the rules into it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you gotta do you come up with swear words? Oh that's usually what they asked for first?
Speaker 1: Uh huh, yeah, racist terms? Do you do that?
Speaker 2: On Defiance?
Speaker 1: I did Jongushi I.
Speaker 2: Defiance was a great project, but where I created four different languages, four different writing systems. It was a whole bunch of different aliens that existed on Earth because they basically all crashed landed there and so like everybody spoke each other's languages or little bits of it. You know, there were there were swear terms. There absolutely were, like racist terms for the other aliens from other aliens from humans. It was great.
Speaker 1: What about the N word? Did you ever have to come up with something for it?
Speaker 2: I mean, not that specifically.
Speaker 1: No, Okay, yeah, well I was just curious as I got to put it on my list of do not ever say or rap? Right, do you hate pooty Tang because you weren't involved in that movie.
Speaker 2: Shane, I'm trying a complete blank.
Speaker 1: You don't remember Pooty Tang Sippy on the run of Haigh. This was nineties, right, No, it was Luis c. K did it with Chris Rock. They produced it. But it was a he spoke his own language, He had his belt and he would whip bitches. This is a was this early two thousands in it might be two thousand and one Tang came out.
Speaker 2: God, I was getting it confused with with bowfinger for a minute.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, was all about a made up language. You've never even watched it, No, David, you should definitely watch Pooti Dang. I mean just just I think comedically because it was so it was like such a disaster, like it did so bad and then it became you know, whenever they try to pretend that movies are uh, you know, good afterwards. But Valerian, which one's that that was one of the languages from Game of Thrones. Can you speak all of these languages perfectly?
Speaker 2: Or no? I mean I can pronounce it.
Speaker 1: My name is Daniel. Can you say that in Valerian?
Speaker 2: Let's see you have BROSI Daniel, Lisa.
Speaker 1: That sounds beautiful, sounds like Italian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can do it. I can do it like you know orkishy too, you have pros. There you go, that's beautiful. That's neat too, because I made a dual lingo for that one dual lingo course.
Speaker 1: Now, so let's forget my name is Daniel, and let's talk about the fact that we can download an app and we can put in your languages into them.
Speaker 2: Just Ti Valerian, yeah, High Valerian. Uh yeah, oh god, hey I didn't make that up. George R. Martin did. And by the way, and that and that, by the way is kind of bs. So there's there's this German. One of the dialects is called High German. But it's not called High German because it's fancy or precious or something. That's because it was literally spoken at a higher elevation. I thought you were going to just do a salute there. That was literally what it was. Well, I know, I didn't know what you're doing, was like all right, or rather fine, you're gonna you're gonna edit this terribly for me, aren't you No?
Speaker 1: I again, you you were fine. It was it was where I went that was wrong. How did you How did you sell Jesse on this this bullshit career?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know, so Jesse was.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Jesse was so she decided to start creating languages on her own. Like many people, good grief, two of you under one roof. There's so many, There's so many. But she was a professor of linguistics for for many years. And actually it was pretty funny at the time. Like when I first met her or or knew about her, I absolutely despised her. She didn't know this, yeah, because she won't listen to this. She was, that's fine, but she so she had contacted me. I was involved with the Language Creation Society at the time. I was I was the president of the Language Creation Society, and we were trying to kind of build ourselves up to get jobs for other language creators. And it was very difficult because honestly we were fighting against Hollywood just doing gibberish, Like, why should we pay you anything to do this when we can just write blah blah blah blah and be done.
Speaker 1: Okay. So that's that's what Hollywood does. If they don't want to pay someone like you to create a language, they just tell the actors to do gibberish. And it's still it still happens, and that still happens. And sometimes sometimes they're good at it, sometimes they're not. Or is it always poor?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's always poor? Uh. Star Wars, Star Wars is the words like, you don't have to be a linguist to figure it out.
Speaker 1: It's just like you Star Wars, you this is gibberish.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, all the time, my dead body. But that's a long standing tradition for Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: But it's just the type of thing where it's like that that person just said the same thing twice and it meant something different and we know that because of the subtitles that were given, and so it's just like, I don't think a language can work like that.
Speaker 1: Have you met George R. R. Martin? Yeah? When's that large old man going to finish this next book?
Speaker 2: So listen, I Georgia R. Martin. I really liked him and he was really good to me, but I think there came a point where he decided, well that's it. I'm not going to talk to this guy anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I just wanted to finish his next book, so I'm not done with me.
Speaker 2: He is done with me. Do you are you a big reader? Have you read the books?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Am I a big reader? I mean in that I like the words to be written really big on a page. Yes, but no, I'm not a big reader. And no, I've never read any of his books.
Speaker 2: I I uh, well, I mean I had to read them for the for the show, just so that I could say that i'd read them. I listened to them as audio books.
Speaker 1: Well that's not reading.
Speaker 2: No, And it feels different, and your memory, your recall of it is different. But it could be done while I showered, and so that I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You can't read the shower. You got to get one of those de Fogger tablets. How George has two rs in his name? What's that all about, George R. R. That's that's a real asshole move.
Speaker 2: If you ask me, it's pretty coincidental that both he and Tolkien have r R as middle names. Total coincidence, apparently.
Speaker 1: Huh what about done? Everyone says that's an amazing book. Was the movie good? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, the movie was really good.
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 2: I mean, did you ever see that Blade Runner twenty forty nine?
Speaker 1: The There's no way I did. I've never seen The Godfather.
Speaker 2: Oh I you know what I I saw The Godfather and and I could recommend that that's that's it's a fun it's a fun time.
Speaker 1: No, I know, it's just not my thing. It's like, if you're I just don't. I don't have three hours to watch this movie. And if if I do, it's like, that's not what I'm going to do with that three hours. Sure, it's the hand I was dealt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I got you. No Dune the first one I saw. The first one was great. Second one, Jesse and I worked on it together, and it's going to feature like a ton of my language.
Speaker 1: Wait a say, wait your language? Not Jesse. Don't get any credit for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so technically I created it right because Jesse didn't work with me on the first one, but she worked with me all throughout the second one, and she probably knows knows it now better than.
Speaker 1: Her into the deal to get her onto the show.
Speaker 2: I will shoehorn Jesse into everything and they will thank me afterwards because that's how good she is.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I say about my team. But they're furious every time. God damn, we got to employ all these assholes. How long did it take Kurt Russell to learn Yulish Jorn Lina Vick recous.
Speaker 2: Oh man, So that's funny. I was there for the the voice recording for that movie, The Christmas Chronicles. He did a pretty good job. But it's like, basically, you just heard my audio recordings and did them. You know, most of the actors, well most things I work on. Uhuh, the recordings are good enough. They hear the recordings, they do them.
Speaker 1: They're pretty good. So you realize that, I mean, you know this that acting is really it's just dumb, like they just are repeating words. But how many times do you see the Academy Awards nominate some eight year old girl that had never acted a day in her life and then she's up for the highest honor of the world. And that can only happen in acting.
Speaker 2: You can say her name Anna pac when we all know.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't mean I didn't even know. I didn't even who was talking about. But you get the point that I'm making there. I agree, there's some great actors, and by some I mean Christian Bale. And then like everybody else is like, all right, we get it. You looked the part, you know, and if you didn't look the part, well, then put on a big nose yeah, and pretend.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate, and I should say this more to them. I really appreciate when the actors just do the work of listening to the recordings that I've done, listen to the inflection that I've given it, and do their best to make it sound believable and authentic. Most of them do. Some of them are absolutely excellent, and then just the one or two that are just absolutely terrible and clearly think that that, you know, my job is just the dumbest thing in the world, and they can't even believe they're being asked to do something so embarrassing.
Speaker 1: That's the embarrassing part, that is doing the made up language versus sitting in makeup for three hours and then playing dress up and then you know, for ten minutes saying one stupid line forty different times and then getting paid a shitload of money. Oh yeah, I'm so grueling. Yeah, what actors were you referring to that are just horrible and obnoxious? Go ahead and say their name. Say their name right now.
Speaker 2: There's one in particular. I think you know, I shouldn't I shouldn't say.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well it's a hymn, so we have a hymn. Okay, now let's get a race. Let's get a race out of you. Do super fans of these shows and movies ever contact you and try to debunk or tell you that you are wrong or blah blah blah, or find air in what language that you've created?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sure, No.
Speaker 2: In fact, there was one of the most peculiar errors that ever happened. It was the last season of Game of Thrones, and there was a very short scene in which Denaris, one of the main characters, asks one of the doth Rocki.
Speaker 1: Warriors who don't ruin it? I haven't seen it is a minor thing, just to ask.
Speaker 2: Just ask him taking care of one of the dragons, how many today? Referring to how many animals did the dragons eat? And the answer was, you know, in doth Rocky something like, I think it was like three sheep and eleven goats. Anyway, why I get this tweet from somebody saying, like while the show is still airing live, he says that doth Rocky didn't sound right, okay, right, And so I go back afterwards and he was correct. The do THRACKI was incorrect because the doth ROCKI they asked for and that I gave them was three sheep and eleven goats or something like that. The subtitle, which they changed later said twelve sheep and fourteen goats. Okay, So they were like, they gave me this this line, say translate this to the rocky three sheep and elemon goats. Whatever I translate for them, I send it back. At some point in time in the production, someone said that's not enough sheep and goats.
Speaker 1: That's a network person.
Speaker 2: They're like, nobody's gonna believe this. The fans are gonna be like, what that's like, that's way too few sheep and goats. But they were like, but it's not important enough for us to go back and ask for a retranslation. Let's just change the subtitle. It was that important to them. How many sheeps and goats there were, but not important enough to actually get the dethrocky correct. In fact, it may have even been in post production after the line was already done.
Speaker 1: Here's what I learned about Game of Thrones from just this that I never knew there's dragons in the show. You never knew that. I never knew there was. I didn't. I didn't know there's dragons. Yeah, I mean, maybe maybe tell me that and maybe get interested.
Speaker 2: Game of Thrones was for dragons what Jurassic Park was for dinosaurs?
Speaker 1: Are I don't. I don't like that either, stupid?
Speaker 2: Can I Can I tell you about my favorite part of Jurassic part? Okay, so this is at the beginning. I don't know how well you remember this movie, but they're at the digging up dinosaur bones for whatever reason. There is a group of people there and he's explaining to them like they're looking at a raptor skeleton, and he says, look at this, see this this bone right here looks it looks like a bird. Then from the back there's this little kid who says, why should I be afraid of that? It just looks like a big turkey. So, first of all, I want to stop right here. Evidently because Laura Dern and Alan Grant they share a look, and they share a like here we go again, look as if this is a very common occurrence that they on this archaeological dig often give talks to people who just come by, regular ass people. Often there are kids in there, and often what the kids say, they're like, come here thinking like dinosaurs, I'm supposed to be afraid of these. And so then what happens is that Alan Grant turns around and starts to describe in detail using like a raptor, you know, claw of what the raptor would do if you found him.
Speaker 6: He says that he would eat you, maybe slice your belly, and the point is you would still be alive. And at that point it's like, okay, you did it. You frightened the child, which of course was your point as an archaeologist, this is what you were supposed to be doing.
Speaker 1: Well, he was a smart alec and so you got to put him in his place, I suppose. So I think that's where they were coming from on that.
Speaker 2: One, But it was this is something that happens all the time, apparent by the logic of the scene.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, don't you want to you want to talk unrealistic. Let's let's talk about the karate kid. I just I mean because the fact that he was in Resita and these rich kids on the other side of the hill and they interacted constantly, and then they're on the beach and riding bikes back from the beach to get to Resita. I mean, you have any idea how long of a fucking bike ride that would be be taken to Panga Jesus Christ, it'd be a four day pedal.
Speaker 2: I never thought about that, thought about many things about that movie, never that anyway, it just seemed far.
Speaker 1: Now, see, David, you come on to my show, and I appreciate every much. But then I was like, oh, I have to give everybody a gift for coming on the show.
Speaker 2: But it's really nice.
Speaker 1: Well it's not, don't save it. So today I was like, what should I give you you? I got you a nest many by Google because I think it's perfect for you because you can just anytime you're in your house just say hey, Google, how do you say? And that'll help you out. So I don't know who why I own this, but now I don't so by the way. I'm not sponsored by Google, but man, I would love it if if you would Google sponsor me, and I'll fucking tell people your shit is worth keeping and not giving away.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That that wonderful because I actually have a couple of these things and now I can just get it.
Speaker 1: It looks a little sleeker than I thought, or be honest with you, I mean, and look at hooks to Spotify. That's great. Yeah, you and your fiance right a YouTube channel where you'd make languages for animals or what is this? Yes? We do, all right.
Speaker 2: So I had this board game idea that I've been working on for years and I like board games, love them, so do I absolutely?
Speaker 1: I mean I like some of them. I don't think. I don't know if we'd like the same ones.
Speaker 2: Okay, anyway, So it was just going to be a series of anthropomorphic animals fighting each other, and in order to do that, I was like, well, the animals need to have names, and in order for them to have names, they need to have languages behind them. And so I thought, well, wouldn't it be fun if we just did this the long form way? And what we do is for two hours every Thursday, we sit down and we I know, I know, we sit down and we start creating a language, and we start from absolutely nothing and just go week by week build it up, and pretty soon you see how it's done.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a complicated game. I'm not going to enjoy it. Yeah, I like, like, sorry, I don't have to I don't have to do that symbol. But I do enjoy Sorry, although I find I find it a bit tedious. I don't think we need four pawns. I think two would be plenty to speed this shitty game up. I'm always reshuffling. Uh, I literally like try to like help my son win. But anyway, you know what game I really hate that that ticket to tickets to ride, ticket to ticket to ride.
Speaker 2: You don't like ticket?
Speaker 1: You want to know what I hate about it? What do you hate? I hate? The board isn't very solid, it's kind of flimsy, and then the light plastic pieces barely stay where they're anybody bumps the table at all, and fucking my long run is shot. I hate. I hate the game. I'll be honest with I hate the game, and I hate the game. That's why I like, Uh, what's the game that I like Uh, it's very beautiful. The heavy pieces. It's like the four what do you call what's it called? Quarto? Do you ever play quarto? No?
Speaker 2: I haven't even heard of that.
Speaker 1: Quarto's beautiful. It's a beautiful board. The pieces are beautiful and it's it's it's really good on the mind, you know. Anyway, whatever Quarto? I like Quarto. You play Monopoly? Deal?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Oh man, you got to play Monopoly. Now that's not a negatively board game. It's a card game. Okay, but it's like Monopoly. But they've found a way to condense it to where it's like ten to fifteen minute games. Oh, and it's amazing. Oh is it amazing? Rummy cub or do you say Rummy cube?
Speaker 2: Remy cube?
Speaker 1: You say rummy cube. Oh you're the expert. I'll say Rummy Cube for the rest of my life. Now, yeah, it's not Rummy cub it's Rummy Cube.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: And for that one, I think that we actually I don't know if I heard somebody say it, but they might say it in the rules.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's a few things in the rules that are debatable, okay, you know, and it usually involves the joker and like cause like you have to or the joker. What is it called a joker? Yeah, maybe it is, but you have to use that tile with two from your board. But can you end? What if you just have one joke or left as your last tile? Can you play it anywhere? I think you can. There's a few things that I don't understand, right right O. Possums a language for apossum, we sure do.
Speaker 2: That was when I learned how you're insane. That was when I learned that possum was short for a possum. I thought that was that was the real word.
Speaker 1: No, there's two different ones there. It's not. Well.
Speaker 2: For first of all, there are two different apostums. There's the Australian one and then the American one.
Speaker 1: I thought there was one called possum.
Speaker 2: No, possum is apparently the shortening of a possum. I thought a possum with a lengthening of possum.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a possome. I thought it was opossum. I don't think you know opossum. It's not opossum. Am I'm stupid.
Speaker 2: That's I think that sounds to me the way Wikipedia sounds to you, By the way, is it Florida or Florida.
Speaker 1: I don't care. How do you say in doth racky. I'm beginning to believe that marrying you was a mistake. No, I don't need that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually have no idea.
Speaker 1: David. Thank you for being here. I appreciate it all the best.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Talk to you soon, Pasha. Well, thank you David for being on the show. Or should I say, ny Carl, did you enjoy that made up language David was talking about Guy. Guy's a nerd. I mean in the in the nicest way possible, but just kind of a nerd. Huh. Anyway, A few updates for those of you that care. I remember my car Guy Marty. I asked him if he could find an E thirty green manual convertible mission accomplished, had it for a few weeks now, Carl and I love it. Take drives up the pH Carl keeps his head out the window, and I'm just feverishly texting, just praying everything goes away. Another update, Rock the Drag Queen. Oh that was that was an episode that divided the nation. Just want you to know that he did receive that big wooden cock and he's enjoying that piece of furniture now, I'm sure he is. Okay, time for some plugs, Boyswearpink dot Com, my charitable clothing line for toddlers. Check that out. Don't forget to tune into the Goat whenever the hell that show comes out? What else do we have? My tour dates coming up? Looking forward to performing in NorCal and where else? The Midwest? Kentucky, Oh, that'll be funny, Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, Vegas. That's not the Midwest, that's West West. Gonna be at the Cosmopolitan, my first time there, not my first time, my first time performing there. Okay, well you might as well get ready to take a nap because it's time for my son's bedtime story. See you guys next week.
Speaker 5: Once upon time, they were the pre round. Anyone wanted to play down. It was so so fun, But one of them didn't white. The only idea when they turned white on or so sun. But and then the police kick, the police dyed kick, and they were ducked out, and and and the post got bidder and bidder and bidder until until they had to did their home, for it was so bad.
Speaker 1: Got bigger the poet. The park. Yeah, the park got bigger and bigger. Yeah, what does it mean?
Speaker 2: That mean it what it?
Speaker 5: White flocked in the did and he did all the tall But then did Biddle and Biddler?
Speaker 1: How was the park getting bigger and bigger?
Speaker 5: Wait? Wait, I don't know. Tornado tided maybe, and that made you Biddle and Diddler And when a whole alia. I didn't know why, I didn't know Sun.
Speaker 1: Is this a true story?
Speaker 5: Yes? And don't I know?
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 1: That's scary.
Speaker 5: Dam