Speaker 1: Buster was going to get a long leash as the guy in charge. He's beloved, he's an franchise icon. But this was full.
Speaker 2: We're expecting Susan Slesser soon. Let's talk about the Giants. How good are the Giants with rapfield evers?
Speaker 3: They're better?
Speaker 2: How much better?
Speaker 3: Significant? Significantly better?
Speaker 2: For me? Do you want to rank that l West now?
Speaker 3: Well, it's still Dodgers, okay. I think with the Giants, they jumped in number two with their pitching. Logan Webb. If you ain't seen Logan web pitch this yere, he's a stud. He's an absolute stud. And the rest of their pitching has been really good too. That's why they can afford to move the guys they move with Hickson and Harrison because they have other guys that are pitching really well. Robbie Ray's been really good. And so for me, what do they need? What's the thing we took? The stat we talk about every year with the Giants. They haven't had a thirty thirty home run guy since Barry Bonds. That was in two thousand and four. I believe leir I was there. That's crazy, okay, So who can hear if anybody can hit. If anybody can hit, well, they've had stars, buster posey. I mean, listen, they've had stars. They just have anybody. Oh yeah, they don't have a star. True, but this takes pressure off a damis. This makes their lineup significantly better now. And you know what it brings. It brings an energy to the team that they're like, man, our front office is going for boys, We're going for cras. You can't put a price on that.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, this is a for me. This is a top ten hitter in baseball. And sure, you're going to go to San Francisco and sometimes it's gonna go opposite field and instead of going off the monster, it's going to be a long flyball out that's expected. That's part of what makes recruiting certain superstar bats difficult if you're San Francisco, because some hitters are gonna look there and they're going to look at other spots and be like, do I want my numbers to go down? Because in almost every case, your power numbers are going to go down there compared to most other ballparks opposite end of the spectrum here, Yes, this team is playing well. Most of their players are in that prime window. He mentioned Webb, He's twenty eight a Domins and Ryan Walker twenty nine, Robbi Rays having a great year. He's thirty three. Matt Chapmans on the il, but he'll be back. He's thirty two.
Speaker 3: Got your Bailey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the time is now. If you're Buster Posey, you know you're not pushing it down the line.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: I heard someone talking about this and this is a big point for me. Buster Posey came up under Brian Savian. Did Brian Savian? Say what you want about Brian Savian, but he was the architect of with them winning the three World series. Okay, what did Brian Savian have a knack to do? When he thought it was time to strike, He made a move to get him over the top. Marco Scutero, right Hunter Pence, all these guys to get him over the top, and it worked for three World series. Buster Posey came up under that he's a former player. Guess what he thinks. We can win every year, guys, and we just get the right pieces. But he smelt a great opportunity and not have to give up a lot, and the owners gave him the go ahead to do. And guess what he did? Yeah, we'll take Raffi Devers. Are you kidding me? One thirty something ops plus in the middle of our line up. Huh please? Here? Oh you want Jordan Nickson, you want Harrison, and you want Tims, the first rounders he ways away and some guy that no one's ever heard of, Bello Byo. Yeah, here you go, Red Sox. We'll take Raffi Devers problem off your hands.
Speaker 2: No, you don't know how to communicate with him. Most people in the league know Devers. He's been in the league for a while. He is not a problem child. He's not This is not Manny Ramirez in Boston. And also they kept Manny and how did that go pretty well for them while he was there. Yeah, so it's not like they're acquiring someone that's going to be a problem. As long as they know how to do this, talk, communicate, they.
Speaker 4: Know how to do this under Buster Posey, Matt Chapman, Willia Domas now Raffi Devers over six hundred million dollars they spent in those three dues because they couldn't they couldn't produce enough position players to get the job done. Maybe four han Ziety never got that money, or maybe far Han was like, I don't see any surplus value. Buster Posey sees an opportunity to win. He's striking while the iron's hot.
Speaker 2: Raphaeldevers has fifteen homers this year. All lefty bats on the Giants combined have fourteen homers.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, much more on this right in two minutes with Susan Slusser, who's going to join us to talk more about the impact for the Giants. Susan Slusser joins us right now, and we got to give some love to the Giant side of the story here. Senior baseball writer for the San Francisco Chronicle, Susan, how crazy was this news when you first either saw it or heard about it?
Speaker 1: But I mean it was June fifteenth. You know that it's just almost unheard of now to make deals, big deal like that this early. I love it. I love it. You know when I covered the A's for a million years, Billy Bean did this a few times, not quite this early, but he did swing some earlier big trades. You tend to get sometimes a better price. And I've always felt like, hey, if you want a guy and you've got the deal in place, you're going to get more you have them for longer. The Giants really really be a big left handed bat, as you guys were just saying, and I hear you, AJ, let's not even go go to Susan, I see how you are. But yeah, that's I mean, Buster identified the need and he went out and got it. Bam.
Speaker 4: Well, Susan, listen, when you're not on time, you know, then we have to make adjustments.
Speaker 3: So I just have to ask er Scott was talking, Susan was talking too many s's. I couldn't hear either one ignoring. Okay, but is this the biggest trade for the Giants since they traded Booth bondser Francisco Loiano and Joe Nathan for another greatft hand of hitting star for the Giants?
Speaker 2: Hm?
Speaker 1: Who would that be? I mean that one's right up there. Uh.
Speaker 3: I mean this is the biggest biggest Giants that made in a law. I mean that was for me.
Speaker 1: It might be the biggest one ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this is one of the most the biggest, brightest trades the Giants have made as long as I can remember, they've signed guys that they haven't made a trade with this kind of potential impact in forever that I can remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one's huge, This one's huge, and that's you know, the previous front office did a lot of the heavy lifting and getting this year's team where it is. Uh, I think. But my one criticism of the previous administration is that they did not make big trade deadline moves the last three years. They needed something more, they didn't do it, and we saw what happened down the stretch. They faded, missed the playoffs three years in a row. The one year he did something was Chris Bryant, which you know at the time looked like that was a nice trade, but didn't wind up really making much difference one way or another. So this I mean, certainly post that World Series run of by far the biggest deal they've made. At any time of year.
Speaker 2: It might be that time. If you're looking for a new car, there's one place to go that is going to take care of you, and it's car Gururus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, looking for a car should be fun, not exhausting. Everywhere else it's exhausting. You're dodging people, You're trying to just oh can I look at this car? Cargoers, you type in your search, you find the color that you want. It narrows it down for you, and all of a sudden you're like, this has been an exciting experience and you got a great deal.
Speaker 2: With over four million listings, Cargrews has more car listings than any other major online automotive marketplace in the US, so you can find the best deal. It's no wonder. Similar web estimated traffic data shows cars gus is the number one most visited car shopping site. Buyer, Sell your next car today with cargur Us at cargrews dot com. Go to cargur rous dot com to make sure your big deal is the best deal. That's c r g u r us dot com. Car gurus dot com.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: All right? So what do you think about the Giants lineup now? I mean, this team has been playing pretty well. They have won a lot of close games, which means a little more offense would certainly help. This is what everyone I think would agree is at least the top fifteen thatt I've been calling at least the top ten bat in my mind. So how much do you think this changes the complexion of the season for San Francisco in terms of what they needed?
Speaker 1: Well, they have the pitching, the defense is usually solid. Chapman's out right now, but you know when he's back, they they're solid to very solid. We have known since before the season started that they were light on offense and they were not going to have the best lineup in the division by any means. This had become a major issue. Not enough left handed hitters, not a left handed power. I mean, it was really starting to show. And as good as the pitching is, the starting pitching has been very good. The bullpen's been outstanding, there's going to come a point where the pitching goes into a little bit of a funk and you need the hitting at that point to step up. That offense, you know, was doing what it could certainly. You know they've they're right there, you know, a half step behind the Dodgers. They've had a very nice start to the season. But at some point that offense was going to have to do more. You know, the trade letting Lamont Wade go, that was step one. We all love Lamont, but he was just struggling getting Willie Domas going. Finally he got a day off going into Colorado, so it wound up being kind of two days off and then Colorado. He looks like he's kind of back where he was if he's going when Chapman gets back, and then adding Devors, they've got a much much stronger middle of the order. And remember they've got Junghu Lee who's now back in the leadoff spot. They've got Elliott Ramos who potentially could be an All Star for a second year in a row. You know, they've still got some weak spots there, but it links Linthen's lineup, and you know, as Don Smith said yesterday, that Cove is suddenly going to be seen some more action from the Giants side.
Speaker 4: Finally, who benefits the most in that lineup from the addition of Devers? Is it somebody that's getting protection? Is Elliot Ramos who now doesn't have to do as much? Or does Elliot Ramos then kind of say, WHOA wait a minute, I was the star? Is there is there some is there somebody that really is going to positively affect the most?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I think everybody is thrilled about this move. You know, a Logan Web yesterday he's he's very close to Kyle Harrison, one of his best friends, and he said he was ecstatic about about having Devers so tells you how the pitching staff feels. And in fact, I think the pictures are the one that will ones that will benefit the most in the lineup. You know, it's they will probably, you know, move things around from time to time. That's the way Bob Melvin's kind of done things. They will sort of platoon some guys, so on a given day, it could be somebody different, but certainly whoever is hitting right in front of him is probably going to get the benefit of it. And you're right, it will take a little bit of the pressure off some of the bigger bats for lack of a better word, in the lineup now, guys like Ramos, guys like Chapman, Wilmer Flores. But we don't know where Devers is going to get the bulk of his playing time still. You know, he could play third until Chapman's back. But when Chapman's back, obviously he's going to be there. So do you take do you just put him at first? He hasn't wanted to play first. They're going to sit down and have a chat with them and said, then they'll decide the DH spot is Wilmer Flores. Wilmer Flores can play first base, but they really like at DH to sort of minimized sort of the wear and tear on his legs. Last year he just was not himself because of leg injuries. So I think that's going to be really interesting to see. But he'll be in there. Wherever he is, he will be in the lineup.
Speaker 2: Susan, tell me about the other side of this trade, if it hurts the Giants at all from a run prevention standpoint this season, and also what Red Sox fans should be expecting from Jordan Hicks and from Matt Harrison, who was immediately optioned by the Red Sox, but I would imagine will be a factor for them at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Harrison, I mean, he's just he's he's a talent. You know, he was a Giant's top pitching prospect for the last several years until you know, he came up last year. Yeah, he's had his struggles. You know, he was a rookie getting adjusted to the league. He's very young, he's twenty two. He's local, so I think this came even you know, it's a little bit even more of a shock when you're a local guy. He's from Danville in the East Bay. Loved pitching for the Giants, you know, and you're on the mound warming up for a game and suddenly you're traded. Like nobody would envision that, especially again on June and fifteenth. But he's going to be fine, and I think it will. This will probably make him even tougher and better. Logan web Said said the first thing he told him is you're going to be a star in Boston, and I think he has the capability to do that. He's left handed, he throws strikes, He's got a lot of movement on all of his stuff. You know, he just needs to learn how to pitch at the big league level a little bit more and get more experience. I think he'll be up probably very quickly. Jordan Hicks wanted to be a starter. He was so great for the first sort of month and a half last year in a starting role and then ran out of steam. He said it was he sort of wore down. So this year they tried it again. He really wanted to go back to starting, and it just never it just never clicked for him. And you know, currently he's on the iel with a toe injury from dragging his toe and his delivery that that's all resolvable, that's not something that's an issue. I think he felt like you'd got that figured out. He's pretty close to coming back. He's obviously got a ton of experience in the bullpen. He can help them there and if they want to try him as a starter, Andrew Bailey's there, you know, I know him from Oakland, I know him from San Francisco where he's the pitching coach. He will figure out a way to make things work if that's what they want. So that that's pretty interesting. And you know, don't sleep on James Tibbs, who is the Giant's first first round pick last year. That one hurt. That one also hurts. You know, you don't want to lose number thirteen. Overall. He was doing well at Hi a Eugene, So I think that one, you know, that might come back to bite them more than anything.
Speaker 3: Susan, your your athletics love knows no bounds, no end.
Speaker 1: So you know I'm going to drop them in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just can't. You just can't help yourself, can you. It's amazing, It's amazing. All right? What are the Giants fans feeling on this? They have to be ecstatic, right, And are they just all praising Buster Posey for doing this deal? And yes, I know you're talking like this gonna hurt, and this is gonna hurt, but they got Raffie Devers and everyone is just saying they didn't give up much. So are they just praising Buster Posey and in the front office for making this deal with the Red Sox at a time when nobody saw this coming?
Speaker 1: I mean you'd have to. I mean, look, Buster was going to get a long leash as the guy in charge. You know, he's beloved, he's an franchise icon, but this was bold. I mean he really he should get all, you know, all the praise in the world for this one. And you know, he's the thing he's done so far that has been great is he's quick to identify needs and then do something without looking like, you know, there's any panic, like he doesn't believe in the team as a whole. He's really kind of walked that line. Well. But man, for a first major deal, this is this is huge. This is a big swing, which I guess is exactly what we would expect from somebody of Buster's background. But yeah, I think the fan base is thrilled. You'd have to be, and Buster said yesterday, this is the kind of guy you just can't get in their prime. So they jumped on it when they thought they thought they had the opportunity. He's twenty eight. I mean, this is a guy who has many good years left assuming full health, and on a deal that's not prohibitive. I mean, and also, you know what, Giants' ownership stepped up here too. Buster got it done convinced ownership, and ownership was willing to take on what's probably going to be about two hundred and thirty a lot of it deferred.
Speaker 4: Are you surprised if you were told that this trade was going to happen, that Eldris would not have been part of it. Are you surprised that they didn't really have to give up that much.
Speaker 1: I think we knew if they made a big deal this year that it was probably going to be from their young pitching. They've got a lot of good young arms. They've got more in sac Gremento. They've especially Carson Wizenhunt, who's who's probably going to be the next guy up when they have a need that that is a position of absolute strengthen them. Buster has mentioned that he'd he'd be comfortable trading some of their good young starters. Andy, did you know they know what they have in Kyle Harrison and he's a good pitcher. I think he could be, you know, maybe a two to three kind of big league pitcher. He's a left team maybe even better because this stuff is good. He's not quite at that caliber yet. Obviously, he was not a regular starter for the Giants. He was pitching in verlander spot while Verlander was out and had been in the bullpen before then. But yeah, uh, Eldridge was probably not going to be on the table this year and potentially will never be on the table if he does what the Giants are expecting him to do.
Speaker 3: All right, Susan, Before we let you go, I have to ask this, since we know your love for the athletics, how's it going in Sacramento? Do you think they would be this bad? I didn't think they'd be this bad? And is there any heat on Mark Cott say, because you know, you start reading some stuff and people are like, oh, Kotsee could be in the hot seat. But I disagree with that because he's only given what he's given and he's had to deal with moving a team and this and that, and everyone's complaining about the stadium. Did you think it would be this bad?
Speaker 1: I thought they were going to be good, you know, all spring. I was out there. Yeah, I was out there a few times the spring, and you know, they've got the you know, they're almost the inverse of the Giants. They had a really good offense. You know, they've got a lot of good bats. When the Giants were kind of you know, it became obvious that the Giants were looking for a bat. I kept going like, maybe try to pry somebody away from the A's. They need pitching. But the pitching's been worse than I thought it would be. There's just no way to blame kots say. There's just there's so many factors going on with the A's, I mean, playing where they are and dealing with all of that that stuff. I do think they will be better, maybe not the rest of it, but then the second half. They have had a tendency under Kotze to really take off in the second half. I don't think that they're gonna, you know, contender anything, but I think they could make things difficult on a day to day basis for a lot of teams because they do have a really good lineup. And aj, I have to tell you, I will be at the groundbreaking in Las Vegas a week from today, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, next Monday, week after. I was just there, and if their groundbreaking, they've done some serious work, because when I was there last week or two weeks ago, whatever it was, they still had cranes on there and said demolition and progress stay away. So I don't know what they did. But I don't know until I see something going into the ground besides a golden shovel Susan, I don't know if that I'm believing it, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I've always said. You know, I'm not going to believe it until the shovels in the ground. I'm not sure at this point I will believe it. Maybe Hey, maybe this is just me like being in denial. But it's going to be a very expensive venture. To date, we have not heard of any new investors joining that that project. They were looking for some The costs are expected to go potentially over two billion. You know, it's a dome stadium. I you know, Hey, if Vegas wants something to get done, they usually get it.
Speaker 3: Done.
Speaker 1: I think Vegas is capable of it, but they might have to step in and pony up a lot if that's the case.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll have to chat after your field trip over.
Speaker 3: There, which which which giant casino are you staying at? And are you a gambler, Susan. I can't imagine you gamble?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. I don't like the losing. I like the losing so much less than I enjoy the winning. So no, I and I think I might just be like in and out just in the day.
Speaker 3: Southwest. That's southwest. One is quick exactly slot.
Speaker 1: How's that?
Speaker 4: I can see you.
Speaker 3: I can see you sitting there like in one of those motorized scooter Susan. Just over again. Drink another drink over here?
Speaker 1: That part, that part you've got to.
Speaker 2: Well, Susan. We'll be looking at the coverage, obviously, we're all over the A stories. So thanks for joining us. Everyone gives Susan a follow at Susan Slester on Twitter and check out our work in the San Francisco Chronicle and enjoy the Debors moment, especially next weekend they take on.
Speaker 3: The red sign.
Speaker 1: It's going to be so fun.
Speaker 2: Thanks Susan, good to see you.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys,