Speaker 1: Hey, guys, it's Jackie Goldschneider and Jen Fessler and we are two Jersey Jays and today we're talking housewives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, jack, we've talked about talking about housewives for a while, and I know we've always like kind of tried to avoid it a little, just in the sense that, like, there are so many housewife podcasts, right, so we haven't really given we're not recapping. We're talking like you're definitely not recapping. You're right, that's true. No, but I may ask you a question, no saying it's nice, I'm glad that we're talking a little house Yeah, No, for sure. I mean it's a big part of both our lives.
Speaker 1: What kind of feeling do you get in your like gut when you open Instagram and there's a rumor about who's coming back and who's not.
Speaker 2: Does it affect you or do you feel sick to your stomach when you're asking me how I feel now, it's very different than how I felt right when the show went off the air and things would come up then, I actually I took them seriously, but now much less so. I mean, it's it's because because it's just so constant, you know, it's like all of these speculations that I and I I just don't know. I don't. I don't really buy into it anymore, do you. No.
Speaker 1: I mean I do make a call to somebody who knows more than me and say, hey, is there any.
Speaker 2: Truth to this?
Speaker 1: And I do feel better when I call it Jack, I call Anthony.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like Anthony knows enough people and he knows enough about everything. Anthony is somebody that Jen and I are both very close with who knows. It's like a wizard who knows everything.
Speaker 2: He knows everything about everything that's just housewives. He is like the oldest young person I've ever known, the best, just the best.
Speaker 1: But he will always be honest with me and tell me if there's truth to it or if there's no truth to it. But I used to care a lot more like you're right when the show went off the air. If I saw a rumor that like four people and my name wasn't on it, I'd be like, oh God.
Speaker 2: And now it's sort of.
Speaker 1: Like, to be honest with you, I'm gonna be totally honest when there's a rumor that certain people are coming back. I don't know if that means that you and I are not coming back or we are, because I don't know if we'd be included in that list since we're.
Speaker 2: Fine, just because we're not well. Yes, I always assume that it includes us. Yeah, yeah, and that just makes me feel better. Yeah yeah. Would you ask me this, like, does it depend on who gets recast how you'd feel about it? Like, let's say we're not recast. Does it matter? Because I think it probably thousand percent.
Speaker 1: If I wasn't coming back and I found out that four people who hate me are, yeah, I'm not gonna feel good about it. But if the people that I'm close to and that I really like got cast and I didn't, but the people who hate me didn't get cast either, yeah, i'd ride off into the sense I think.
Speaker 2: I feel like like certain people will, it would never upset me, like because they're iconic.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like Melissa goes back and Teresa goes back like I don't, I don't care. They were on it way before I came along, and they'll be on it after I leave. I don't know, Jen, But as it looks right now, none of.
Speaker 2: Us, none of us are coming back anytime soon.
Speaker 1: So I don't think we have to worry about that. I think there's a lot of new shows coming up. We'll talk to our very special guests today about all of it. But there's a lot of new shows, and it just makes me feel like Jersey might be sitting.
Speaker 2: Out in the corner for a little while longer. Yeah, no, I definitely think so. But for whatever reason, whoever talks about it always says not this year, like that's always the answer, not this year. So does that mean twenty twenty six? I don't know. I don't know. I mean, do you talk to anyone from the network. No, But I mean that's not really No. Andy calls every week. Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: I do speak to him once in a blue moon I did a radio show and he listened to it and we spoke about that. But other than that, now, I don't really bother the network. I'm not one of those and I've never been. I've never been the person who called the network. I don't complain about the edit, I don't complain about anything.
Speaker 2: I'm really quiet.
Speaker 1: And back to the point where I reached out to one of our publicists and I was like, should I be contacting the network about anything? And she was like, no, no, no, it's better when you don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I just don't. I don't think I do. I don't know.
Speaker 1: People say the squeaky wheel gets the oil, but I kind of feel like there's a value in not being annoying. But yeah, so just you know, I live with this thing in my gut where any day there could be a phone call saying like I'm like, thank you for your service, you're no longer needed, or there could be one saying, hey, we're going to pick up cameras in November, and.
Speaker 2: Like they do that? Do they call and say you're no longer needed, as opposed to just letting well. I mean when I was demoted, I did get that phone call. You were still on the show.
Speaker 1: I mean yes, I was still on the show, and it was a very nice phone call, filled with like how valuable I still am to the show. But there was a phone call, nonetheless, So I imagine that they wouldn't just a longtime cast member. They wouldn't just like invite everyone else back and like leave you guessing I'm sure you would get a phone call.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, I'm who knows, who knows?
Speaker 1: But anyway, today's guest knows everything, literally everything, and like nothing is confirmed.
Speaker 2: Of course he doesn't work for a Bravo, but he he's like the housewife whisperer. Today's guest is he really is?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: He's like he really is most magnetic kind which you don't know the kind base Yeah? Yeah, I feel like all all, if you're a housewife you know and love well, then tell everyone who it is. It's Dave Quinn. Yay, David and okay, so are you ready for him? But you, guys, if you don't know who that is, which you probably most of you do.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Dave Quinn is with People magazine and I'm almost positive if you're listening to us you read Diamonds and Rose. Maybe not, but it's the international hit.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's New York Times bestseller. And and he's just like omnipresent. Like every house I knows Dave Quinn so well, and he's a great sounding board, always gives great advice and we love him here at two Jersey Jys. So let's welcome Dave Quinn, the one and only Dave, one and only Quinn.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm so happy to be here with my two j's.
Speaker 1: Have you and since the last time we had you you have a new role at People, right, I do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm the deputy news director here now.
Speaker 2: So oh my god, Wow, my gosh.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things where I keep turning around and saying, shouldn't they have hired an adult to do this? Oh wait, I'm an.
Speaker 2: Adult, imposterson, I know.
Speaker 1: But what what like a thing to name drop? Like, oh yeah, happened to be the deputy news editor of People magazine.
Speaker 4: It's like crazy, it sounds pretty fancy. It really does.
Speaker 2: Will It is fancy? So congratulations you guys. Are you guys do quite a party?
Speaker 4: Yes, we had. We had a party to launch our new People app, which if you haven't downloaded, I highly recommend. It's really fun. And we have actually a reality show on the People app. Now we're so we're filming a reality show called The Fourth Wall where it follows the staff in the creation of each week's issue and it's absolutely hilarious. I've been on it a few times and I keep telling everyone, like, listen, if this is going to get picked up for season two, we need more drama. Like I keep reminding them, I'm like, someone needs to yell.
Speaker 1: At someone send in one of those housewife producers. They'll get it out of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, that's what we need. We need Luke or someone coming and screaming at someone. But yeah, maybe I need to have a Maybe I need to have a housewife come for the fourth Wall episode. I need to bring a housewife in for the fourth Wall up.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not currently filming any shows, so I'm happy to do it.
Speaker 4: So you can come in and cause trouble. You can, really, you can really turn up the drama around the office and start some fights.
Speaker 2: Not Jen.
Speaker 1: Jen's not the troublemaker. She doesn't like the trouble parts. She likes the other person.
Speaker 2: I was hoping that I was going to get another season to take that opportunity to make some trouble. And we don't know yet. We don't know, you know yet, Yes, but it all mapped out well.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Housewives, let's just start at the start. I mean, there are just so many rumors and so many new shows, and so so let's start with this. There is a rumor going around that three people from Jersey are coming back and three newbies are joining them. I have been told that there's no truth to that rumor. Do you know anything about that rumor?
Speaker 4: I have been told there's no truth for that rumor either told it's true. No, No, every single thing that I have heard has been real consistent, which is just that the network is not paying attention to it. They've put it over in the corner and they're just sort of ignoring it for a while and focusing on other things, and they'll come back to sort of figure out what it was. They're looking at casting, they're you know, pulling people together, but they're sort of not paying attention to it, is what I've been told.
Speaker 2: That's what I heard too.
Speaker 1: Can I just tell you something. The number of people who come up to me and they're like, yeah, the show called.
Speaker 2: Me, but I didn't want to do it.
Speaker 1: Like the number of people who think that you just get a call on the next day you start filming is for years.
Speaker 3: Yes, I just like I want to be like, no, no, you don't understand, like you probably wouldn't get it anyway.
Speaker 2: I can't say it. I had somebody say to me once at a party like, oh Andy's like been asking me to do it for years, Like just like I'm like, yeah, I'm sure, Like you live three blocks for me, You're not get out of here.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, ideas famous. It happens to famous people too. Janat Kramer very famously talked about how she had been approached to do the Real House. So I's a Beverly Hills and then I like was inter I was working on the book at the time, So I asked the casting director and she's like, oh, yeah, she was pitched to us, but we never pushed her forward, like none of it. Like so again, it's always like this weird thing where just because you have the initial conversation doesn't mean you're going to be on the show by any means.
Speaker 2: Dave, I feel like there's been so many New Housewives since you wrote your book that you need a part too. Have they approached you about it? A man, because there's at least like forty new people I.
Speaker 4: Know, I think they want a little bit more time still before a part two. You know, you sort of separate exactly, not not to jump in on it as quickly, but I will say there's plenty of story. There would be a lot that we would have to get into, and the network has to be ready to have those conversations, right, because yeah, so much has gone down, even with all the Ultimate Girls trips and the dramas there, Like, I feel like there's so much they can't really talk about right now that they're not really ready to get real about yet. So I think some distance will be helpful for them.
Speaker 2: If I could get into Diamonds and Rose, I feel like I would make I've made it, oh one day. What do you think of.
Speaker 1: The new shows. I think they're brilliant. I like the new shows that they announced.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really smart. Listen. It makes perfect sense to me in my brain, the way everything is organized. You know, if you're looking at New Jersey, for example, there's a lot of salaries on there that are really high. And though the ratings are great for Jersey, I think the problems within the cast and the conflict is a lot for the network to deal with. In my perspective, I think they sort of in their minds, say, if we launch a brand new franchise and now we're dealing with people who don't have those same salaries requirements, right, you're getting paid probably each one of them well under one hundred thousand dollars each. I'm sure they can make the same sort of a show, you know, I've been seeing, I've been hearing that Rhode Island has the same sort of vibe about.
Speaker 2: New Jersey, like grey Italian Italian young moms like Jackie, and I think that I think that that's the mindset right.
Speaker 4: It's like this franchise is shifting, the popularity is changing in everybody's views towards housewives, so we could launch new cities and probably save money in the long run. I'm sure that's part of the co part of it.
Speaker 2: I think I agree too. You think that also, though they are This is just my theory that they put us on pause definitely and start a Rhode Island and it almost gives them so much more leverage to negotiate, Like we ain't paying those salaries anymore. So you want to be part of it, great, but you know we can move on without you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure that's a big part of it as well. I mean, it's all business in the end, and it doesn't feel that way because you're sharing your personal lives and feel so personal. But I think, and I've said this time and time again, I think the conflict that was happening with Teresa and the conflict that was happening with Margaret was equally annoying to them. I don't think that they were like siding with anybody. I think they were just annoyed dealing with it all, and they didn't want to deal with it anymore. They didn't want to deal with the fighting, and that I won't film with this person, and I won't be around this person, and these people won't talk and they won't get along. It's just too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was too much for the rest of the cast too. It was hard to be around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and nobody can move forward if nobody wants to move forward.
Speaker 1: I think of all those new shows, I think I'm really looking forward to the wife swap one. I think the thought of and I don't know if the casting rumors are true, but if they are, like the thought of Emily Simpson living with Joe Gorga to me is hysterical and I cannot wait to watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Jack, I don't think it works that way. I don't think that's Oh, I thought the wives are switching houses. I think that this is why I've heard. I think it's like I'm right, Dave, it's like four different episodes. So like in one of the episodes, Emily. We'll switch with an unknown somewhere in let's say the Midwest.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I wanted Emily to live with Joe Gorgah.
Speaker 2: With Shane so bad. Oh, I'm sorry. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: I'm hearing it's it's regular people, and I think it's a smart.
Speaker 2: Idea regular just average shows. It's smart. I'm sure it will will be very fun.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure that Rhode Island won't be the last New Housewives franchise on the web.
Speaker 2: Not at all.
Speaker 1: So is the wife swap thing going to be like a one and dinner? Is it these same five women for like multiple seasons?
Speaker 2: I don't think. I think it's four episodes.
Speaker 1: And to be like rotating, right, so, like's got.
Speaker 2: A chance at a new wife, right?
Speaker 4: Yes? I think that you'll have one sort of pilot season, if you will, of four or five episodes, however many it is, and then I think they'll continue to renew it if it does well with different housewives.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, Oh that's really.
Speaker 4: It sound like it will always be the same people.
Speaker 2: I do like how there it seems like there's so many shows now, like you can springboard off Housewives and insert yourself in something like this, which I think is a nice break and sort of nice, you know, even especially for shows that get canceled, like it's sort of like a nice consolation prize.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean I've been watching and paying attention to what's happening with these franchises for a while now. Obviously I watch it very closely, and I just don't really know how much future there is in some of the same sort of conversations.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, So let's talk about that, because we have more questions than just like existing shows, more like deep dives into what makes the franchise great and how long that can can keep going. So just in general, how how long can these shows go with this formula?
Speaker 4: I think they've gone much longer than anybody who's making them actually imagined them to go. I think most of the people who've been working on these shows for a while have been wondering when is the end coming? And I'm not really sure. I know that there's constant pressure when you're filming these shows to have story, and that story forces I think people to put a lot of conflicts forward and put a lot of things forward in their lives that aren't normally what they're going through. That's why you see so many like marriage renewals and things like that, right just because there's like a need for story and unfortunately a.
Speaker 2: Fan of the marriage renewal. I don't think O marriages aren't a fan of the marriage renewal either, by the way.
Speaker 4: And I think what happens is that you have a lot of these people who hear a small little roomor online and feel like, Okay, that's an opportunity for story. Now we're going to bring it out, and now we're going to fight about it, and it becomes really damaging to the participants who are doing the show right because now people are spreading rumors about husbands and businesses and it just becomes so hard to get through. And I don't know, I mean, I don't think that the network necessarily is trying to stop that from happening. I think that they recognize that there needs to be a hook for people to watch and there needs to be drama. But if you look at a show like Atlanta this season, which has had a lot of drama, the ratings really aren't there because the fans just seem to be sort of fickle. They sort of they want all these things that they're never going to get and they'ren't happy all the time. If Nini came back to Atlanta tomorrow, they would be so happy, But then they would watch and complain how boring it is, right, you know, it's like it just is.
Speaker 2: It's what does the end look like? It doesn't look like all the show is just going off the air, does it.
Speaker 4: I think it looks one by one those shows sort of going into retirement and putting me over there in the pause world.
Speaker 2: Sorry to interpret, I've got ato Like what so if it wasn't like this back in the day, and I'm thinking of the classics, right, I'm thinking of Ronie and I'm thinking about Jersey. So it wasn't all like they weren't basing it around rumor mills, and like, how did it work? Was it because it was novel and new that everyone was so into it, or was it that there was just such a different dynamic They really had friend groups people that were actually you think that's it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's the big thing. Right when all of these shows started, they were based around core groups of friends where there was a dynamic there that was interesting in some capacity as the years went on, of course, to expand and to grow and to change and evolve the show. They added people into a point where a lot of these shows feel like they're not really friends, they're sort of cast to be friends. Is a perfect example. You know, when the show got recast, it was after, you know, in the midst of the Black Lives Matter movement, a lot of conflicts going on behind the scenes, audiences feeling like it didn't represent the real New York. So they went out and found what they considered to be right the real New York. And they cast a bunch of women who some who knew each other, some who were acquaintances, and put them all together and said, look at this beautiful, ethnically diverse group of women that represent New York. Here you go, camera's up. Well, all those women came into the show knowing exactly what the show is, knowing what it could do for their businesses and their brands, and whether they admitted or not, they were all producing themselves. They were all pretending to be something they weren't. They were all holding back things. You have somebody like Jenna Lyon saying I'm not going to talk about my relationship, I'm not going to show my kid anymore. I'm not going to you know, she had a yard sale or a tag sale, and she wouldn't even tell them how much she made at the sale. Right It's all this like I'm putting down boundaries. And while I respect boundaries, it becomes really challenging when you're watching a show where everyone has boundaries and you sort of can tell that nothing is real, that it's all sort of phony nonsense, and the fights that you're really seeing are more about the show than about the people themselves. It's more about, like, I'm mad at you for painting me as the villain because the audience is going to hate me and it's going to affect my business. Right Like, that's sort of the way everyone is thinking. I think it's much easier for the network to say, Okay, New York, you go over there. We don't have to deal with you for now. We'll try and find a real cast down the line. But let's look at Rhode Island. Look at these real women who are all really good friends and they've known each other forever, and this will be a good show. Right Like that sort of makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: Oh, why I'm interrupting so much. Excuse me, you guys, I don't mean to, but my question is, do you think also because like I remember when Rony started, when Jersey started, the women were so they weren't typical, like they were nuts. Like I don't have a Primona singer in my life, do you know what I mean? I didn't have anyone from Jersey that could that. I didn't interact with people the way that they did. And I know they were authentic friends, but also they were so quirky. You know, maybe that's hard to find because like now it's you're right, it's people that are that have it together, that are producing themselves as opposed to these women that were floundering around who knew what was going to happen next. But I remember just watching specifically Ramona, who I just loved, and thinking who what, Like, where are you coming from?
Speaker 1: Young woman literally shit her pants on television and didn't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, her personality was so eccentric, and I remember thinking it was so fascinating and like, I don't find that, you know as much.
Speaker 1: Even tensely crying at the circus, Like god, if I reach back in the archives, it was just brilliant, like everything was just brilliant, but there was deep.
Speaker 2: Intense like fighting back in the day.
Speaker 1: I mean when you when I people like to say like, oh, wasn't dark back then, but like I don't know Kyle and the whole like blaming her sister for stealing her house and being an.
Speaker 2: Alcohol like that was dark. I mean Taylor's husband committed suicide.
Speaker 1: I mean, like there was dark, it just wasn't manufactured dark.
Speaker 2: It was so authentic, And I think that's the difference.
Speaker 4: Right, It wasn't I heard a rumor that your husband is cheating nonsense.
Speaker 2: It wasn't that kind of dark.
Speaker 1: It was like I've reached the end with like pretending this doesn't exist and like outing things on the show. But they were real things, you know, which is why that's what the difference is.
Speaker 4: And the show is always the most interesting when there are those moments when Kyle and Lisa vander Pump are falling out and you know that that was a real friendship and the reason they're falling out is kind of because of the show and they can't really talk about it, but they're trying to talk about it, Like that's when it's most interesting. But I agree with you, Jen, like it's hard to find a Ramona singer, and Jersey's a perfect example taking YouTube out of the equation because I don't want to talk about you both here, but like, I think we've heard it all. No, but I think like Margaret's a good example of someone who's like kind of a character, right, You're like, okay, you're a bit of a character. And then you have someone like Ambermorksey who joined pretending to be a character and like faked it the whole time and it never really worked right. So it's like you have to be somebody who is just one hundred percent authentically yourself, which is very difficult to do. We are all aware now of what people perceive us to be. We have social media platforms that are curated and we're paying attention to comments and likes, and I think it's really difficult to go on television and be one hundred percent yourself without being worried about what people say.
Speaker 2: I agree. So what do you.
Speaker 1: Think in terms of housewives? Do you think that because there's a lot of controversy over how old should a housewife be, So like on Jersey, we had some that were very very young, we had some that were older do you think it should be somebody with a lot of life experience and somebody wealthy that we can watch and they want to emulate, or someone crazy, or should it be younger women that we could watch their families grow and watch their kids grow up on camera?
Speaker 2: Like, what do you think is better?
Speaker 4: I think a good mix is the best way to go about it. You know, again we come back to early seasons of New York. You want the Jills Aaron and the Bethany Frankel. You want the person who is a little bit more established in society and also somebody who may be an up and comer, and to see how they all interact with one another. I think it's good to have a good mix, because there is. It's the lesson of Housewives for me has always been women have value in society in times that entertainment often sort of overlooked them and threw them away, Right, So I definitely think that of a certain age air quote like, you know, an older female has a lot of incredible story to tell and deserves that platform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I talked to somebody actually picked up something that I said on a podcast recently, and I was saying something to the effect of like I don't care about you know, your babies and your carpool. And then someone picked it up and said that I was trying to dis Rachel Fuda or I was dissing young I'm like, no, it's not that at all. I wasn't thinking. I am literally saying I personally what I'm interested in is more aligned with someone who is older. It's like, I'm more interested in watching women. I don't really want to hear women discuss menopause necessarily, but you guys know what I'm saying, Like I want to hear about vaginal dryness as opposed to like like in a funny, colorful way for me. But that doesn't mean that I do. I did bond weirdly enough with Rachel Fuda the first season in a way that was totally organic, and I think people thought it was really interesting, you know, But I don't know. I mean, I I personally like, I think that I like watching women at a certain age a little bit better.
Speaker 4: I do too. What I'm fascinated by is the idea of society painting you to be one thing. Right. You're a mom, and you spend your life being a mom and raising a child and that child eventually goes away, and then what is your identity beyond that? And I think it's fascinating to what women like Ninny, women like Jill Zaren, women who X Y and Z have like in the past, have stepped into their power through this platform and created a whole second life for themselves. That's really fascinating to me.
Speaker 2: I agree. What about wealth?
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of people say the Housewives should be wealthy. I know you said that people who are established versus up and comers, But wealth wise, does it change the Housewives brand when you have people who you know live in a peeny, tiny little house and are obviously have no money.
Speaker 4: I think that ultimately Housewives works when there's wealth involved because it's it comes back to the concept of the show, which originally was behind the gates, right. It was to look into sort of this universe of rich people where you didn't normally get to see. And I think that people like the aspirational quality towards Housewives.
Speaker 2: Don't you think they also like watching wealthy women like go down like I don't know, like you, of course, there's always a certain amount of I had it right, I'm watching Lisa vander Pomp. Although I loved her, I never wanted anything to happen to her. But like when you're watching I don't know some of the really wealthy women and it's not so perfect as it looks well watching.
Speaker 1: Det now and now there's all these rumors about Derret's money, right right, de dresses head to toe and like ten thousand dollars outfits every day. But now, you know, I do think that some people are enjoying that potential the downfall.
Speaker 2: I really like her.
Speaker 4: I like her too, but listen, like watching the downfall of somebody on television, it's a tried and true formula, right, and it's always going to be the way the network sees it. I'm sure, by the way, I don't work for the network. I'm not a network spokesperson, but I'm sure the way they all look at this is like this is great story.
Speaker 2: You know, it's I mean, it's like wow, just watch the Valley Wow.
Speaker 4: Or like look at someone like Erica, like we've sort of watched this journey. If they would have left Erica when she lost her money and they were like you're not valuable anymore, we wouldn't have gotten to see sort of the way that she stood up after the lowest moment in her life. And that's fascinating, that's inspirational, that's a reminder of really.
Speaker 1: All of us.
Speaker 4: You know. The thing that housewives hear the most. I'm sure that you can both attest. It's not people aren't like they don't remember they oh, you cursed this person out or you said that really funny thing. It's like the story that you shared. I mean, how many people Jackie come up to you and talk to you.
Speaker 2: About Oh, yeah, I think that's my legacy. I was afraid my legacy.
Speaker 3: Would be finale at rails, but it's not. Turns out people much more often want to talk about the eating disorder stuff, which makes me really proud.
Speaker 4: You know, it's that is what hooks people to these people.
Speaker 1: How about this idea of term limits on a housewife so that which I think is actually brilliant. So you don't get to this point where you have to invent a storyline to stay relevant, or you don't have to go over and above and be like the nasty one to stay in the story. You know what I'm saying, Like, if you knew that you had six seasons at a Max and then you were gone. You wouldn't need to, you know, keep clawing for something to keep you.
Speaker 2: I don't think I disagree. I think that would not work at all. I think that, first of all, the clawing is part of I hate to say it, but as part of the fun I think for the audience. But I don't know, I feel like you could even kind of give up at the end. But I always do say this, like, you got to follow the money. If the ratings are coming in and you're bringing in a certain amount of money, everyone is to pay their mortgage the exact sit Bravo too, So why give limits if the person is a money maker? Right? I mean I always think sort of follow the money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see that too. Ultimately, I'm one of two ways about it. I can totally see how certain people feel the need to stay relevant and therefore are clamoring and inventing things and trying to sort of center themselves in the drama. But I do feel like they would be that way even if they weren't on television. You know. I always use Karen Huger as example, Like, Karen Huger is somebody who if you speak to her, she's pretty cagey about her real life, and you could tell that she's sort of putting on a persona. But that's who she is if she wasn't on TV, you know, like that would be who she was if you met her at a party. So I think that's the personality of somebody who is trying to center themselves in conversation and drama exists even if the cameras aren't there, they would still be doing that within their friend's circle. I believe I'm very Nostalgia's a very powerful emotion, and I'm very nostalgic. So I find myself missing a lot of former housewives and wanting to see them on TV and just really feeling nostalgic about the time that I spent with them.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, Yeah, but the fans don aren't like that. I mean, I always use Chara as an example. They fired Charai three times, Like the fans beg for her to come back, and then when she's there, they're like, get rid of her. She's boring, you know. So it's like, it's so frustrating the way the fan base works, because I think that they don't recognize what they want. They just seem to be you.
Speaker 2: Know, they'll ever brings back.
Speaker 4: I do not, and I think it's a mistake. Like I just feel like that show would be so much more interesting if Derinda and Luanne and maybe even Sonya were in the mix. Like, I just think it would be so much more interesting to see that mixture of personality. But the network made a choice and they they said let's try and swing big, and I don't think it really worked as they wanted it to. So I think they're trying to figure out what to do next.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with that, So there's lots of rumors about the New New York. Do you think they're done or do you think that they'll bring that one back? I mean Jersey aside. Are they just slowly letting older shows go to bed?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the network never really says they cancel anything, you know, And I don't think Real Housewives the Dallas was canceled. I don't think Dubai has been canceled, right they're just not renewed or they're not in the cycle right now. I think they've made it very clear once that page six story came out, which by the way, never said the show was canceled. The fans interpreted it that way all the show. All it said was that, you know, the show wasn't really being filmed right now, which it's not being filmed right now, and it wasn't announced as Upfronts is being renewed. So you know, we're still in this mix of what are they going to do with New York. They've said they're looking into other women. There's every day I see another report that you know, they're casting new people, but I'm not necessarily sure they're doing anything with it. I think they've put it right next to Jersey and they've said, we'll come back to you. Let's focus on these new ones.
Speaker 1: Brandy Glanville gave an interview and she says a lot of stuff, but she called the Real Housewives.
Speaker 2: Life ruining TV. Do you think that that's true?
Speaker 4: First of all, I love Brandy Glanville so much, and you are you close? We're not close, but but I love her.
Speaker 2: I love that you love her.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love Messy because you love Messy right like I love that.
Speaker 4: I feel as though I feel protective over all of y'all, you know what I mean, because I think that it's difficult to navigate this situation. I think the network is a business. At the end of the day, Bravo is a business, and they can't care about everybody and treat everybody as a priority. The business is the priority. In the same way that if I became a problem for People Magazine, I would assume People Magazine would move on, right. It just is sort of the way it works. And she became somebody who didn't fit in with their business model anymore, and that's sort of the way. But I don't think it was because she did anything that she didn't think was the right thing to do and challenging. When you look at the whole situation from behind, is it life ruining, And certainly in her experience it seems to have been. But I also think it's life ruining if you let it be life ruining, If you put all of your thoughts and hopes and futures and prayers into this vehicle, I think it becomes really challenging for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember, Dave, you and I don't know if you'll remember, we had a very long talk one night. I mean it must have been maybe it was two years ago, and like I remember, just like I feel like everyone should have to sit down with Dave Quinn before they sign up. No, and it's not because because it's just your very insightful and even like the things that you're saying now, they really resonate with me, like if you allow it to be life ruining, and I think that that's so important and for myself, even over something that's happening or that I read about or that I hear this one is doing this, And then I always have to go like I always step back or I call one of my friends will say to me, you're a loser, like you got to like you need to relax, Like I got a whole life before I got on the show, and I got a whole life after this show. And it's like I found myself getting pulled into that. I know, Jack, you have to and then all of a sudden, you go, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. I was happy before, I'm gonna be happy after. It's not like this is not my whole life. But it sucks you in good.
Speaker 4: Of course it does. If everybody in the world was telling me what I whether I'm valuable or not right, and that like I would feel I would have a really hard time seeing my own self worth because I would be judging it all through their eyes. That's why I think it's really difficult to do this job. It's why I have such respect and kindness for everybody who does it, because at the end of the day, I'm not judging you. I don't care. I'm judging myself.
Speaker 1: So we know that on screen, like craziness, drama is ratings. Do you think that there is some social responsibility when somebody has a substance abuse problem to stop filming with them? So take Karen Huger, who I actually really love personally, you too, or like Jax Taylor who was in rehabit and missed half the season. Is there is there a social responsibility or is it just hey, like if they're only harming themselves, like, let's keep rolling.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is the eternal moral question, right At what point does it stop being entertainment and start being you know, taking advantage of somebody. I think it's really difficult. I'm twelve years sober, I'm active in my sobriety and in my recovery. If I was in the height of using and that was being filmed, I don't know. I mean, there's a benefit to that Carl Raki always says, I don't think I would have gotten sober had it been for the show, because it showed me what was happening, and the people on that I worked with were like, you have a problem, you need to get help for it. This may be the most important thing in Jack Taylor's life that he was able to do this on camera.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 4: At the same time, it's you know, it can feel like, wow, we're really taking advantage of somebody, especially with meal health issue, and when that sort of comes into play at their hardest point. And I think Liam McSweeney's whole argument right now that she's dealing with in the courts is like, listen, I was an addict and I was in the midst of a relapse and nobody cared for me, and in fact, they took advantage of that by making sure that alcohol was readily available and not giving me the time that I needed to take care of myself.
Speaker 2: Agree with you? Do you agree with her? With her? I'm talking particularly Leah. Do you agree with her stance?
Speaker 4: I don't disagree with it. That's the thing. I don't agree or disagree. I understand what she's saying, and I totally recognize that if I were in her shoes, I would feel the exact same way about it. But it's not my place to say whether that's right or wrong.
Speaker 2: I don't Well, it's not mine either, but.
Speaker 1: I think I know, well, it's a lot more complicated than just one issue. So if you listen to the Bravo Docket, which I love, do you listen to that? They go through the entire case, and like, there are some things I agree with and some that I don't like. You went on a show that she knows requires like craziness and drama and said, hey, I'm going to be sober and not do any of that stuff. And at what point does the show owe it to her to you know? Like there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Big questions within it. I was just gonna say, like within any industry, I mean, you can find lots of alcohol and people pressuring you to come and drink with them, and I don't know, I just I I understand that it must have been hard for her. I'm not taking that away, but I don't know that it was anyone else's fault, right, Yeah, And I agree with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, listen, I can't imagine that the intention of any of these people. It's always so easy to view production or the network or even other housewives just like evil beings stirring a cauldron behind the scenes, being like moha ruin their lives. Like, I just don't think that's the way it works. That being said, I'm sure the producer felt a certain amount of pressure to create some sort of storyline because I'm sure somebody was saying, you know, nothing's happening this season, and we need to dot that out right. So it's like there's pressure coming from all over the place. It's a hard environment to be in. But they also cast Leah in that knowing fully well that's what she was going through. So now you're an employer who essentially is taking not taking care of your employee. That's also confusing, right, So there's there's so many layers to it. I wish it was black and whit would be so much easier to understand.
Speaker 2: All right, So, Dave, so what's the next show to fall look in your magic ball?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, my gosh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that Yeah, New York, New Jersey on pause. Dubai basically probably finished. Dallas is never coming back. But I loved Dallas.
Speaker 4: I love Dallas.
Speaker 2: I really did too, and I thought their last season was actually really great. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's confusing to me how they make these decisions. But we'll see how Rhode Island goes. So, Salt Lake City is doing great. Really, he'll still doing great. Ocean County still doing great. Orange I mean, sorry, Orange County.
Speaker 4: I think Orange County will be the next to fall, that's my instinct. I think I think it will be a decision at twenty. I think they're at nineteen now. Next season will be twenty, and I think they'll sort of that's a good like we've done twenty years on this show. Next, that's what I know.
Speaker 1: Is it going to be like the decluttering principle where one thing goes out and another thing comes in.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think.
Speaker 4: That there will be more cities to come. And the network has built its entire likely livelihood rather on these shows, so I can't imagine that they'll be walking away from them anytime soon.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting because I was saying that I am so like you were talking about nostalgia. I too feel so nostalgic, specifically about some of the ogs, and so when they are no longer on my show, it's setting to me. But the truth is, now, if I'm thinking about it, like, there are a lot of ogs that are still around, and after a while, I think maybe they get boring. It's theirs, because I mean, who wouldn't. It's not their fault, but they're offering up the same thing. I think it's only it's only Teresa and Kyle are ogs, right, No, they're I mean the whole cast of Salt Lake.
Speaker 4: But that's not right when you're talking about the long standing shows left. No, I think those are the only two first season housewives who have.
Speaker 2: Written about.
Speaker 4: Vicky.
Speaker 2: I know, but like which whatever, Like you could feel nostalgic for Vicky, but also it was kind of the same stick.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, things kind of get all But but.
Speaker 4: I'm more interested in the world outside of Housewives. I'm always curious as sort of the way Bravo grows there programming Slate. I think that Summer House has become sort of a juggernaut for them now. It's like it's delivered really good ratings and people are very invested in that those characters, and they've been going for much longer than I think anyone anticipated at first, and Southern Charm has sort of continued to reinvent itself, although I don't think it's always been successful at that. And I'm sort of curious, like, what are those new shows? The Valley seems to be doing well so that, but that feels such so connected to vander Pump Rules. I'm just waiting for what the next not Bravo hit is.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm Isn't it aren't share shaws of Was it again that they're getting a valley that they're now getting a new like a valley thing, right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I still will miss them more. There's more out there that we haven't really touched. And I'm curious.
Speaker 2: Do you have any ideas?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, no, I don't. I'm not. I don't know.
Speaker 1: In five years from now, you think that the Housewives landscape is going to look very different. The existing shows are not all going to be there, and it's going to be a lot of new ones with lower salaries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's just business. It just makes perfect sense, you know, if the ratings are dwindling and things are changing, I wouldn't be surprised if they just found newer cities too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to be honest, this Rhode Island Cast, I mean some of the things I've heard about them, I'm so excited to watch I want to just inject it into my veins. Have you read this one really whose husband's career is a Frank Sinatra impersonator.
Speaker 4: That's incredible. Yeah, I've heard a lot about the Rhode Island Cast. And I used to live in Rhode Island. I went to college there, and I have a four oh one area code phone number still because I got my cell phone when I was in Rhode Island. So I have a lot of positive feelings towards the Ocean State, and I'm really excited to see what they what they turned that franchise into. And everyone keeps.
Speaker 2: Asking RD Island and people keep asking like where are they going to be filming?
Speaker 4: But the whole state is so small you can drop the whole thing in an hour. So I think they're going to be filming all over, you know. I just think that it's going to be There's gonna be people in cran and there's gonna be people in Narraganza, and there's gonna be people in Newport and Warwick, and Providence. I just think they're gonna be everywhere. I can't wait to see how it all turns down. And it's gonna be fun. I think, to have another East Coast franchise in a place that kind of like Potomac right where people didn't really know anything about or you know, and and get to see a whole group of people, you know.
Speaker 2: I keep I always like waiting for Boca or Long Island or like the obvious choices. It's so interesting to me that they they and I'm like Rhode Island.
Speaker 1: I think I think that the network is probably staring clear of any ethnic shows that have to do with any kind of wars right now, you know, because in terms of like Boca and Long Islands, you know, I think that.
Speaker 2: Motions tied to all of that, you know, for years, So I thought, like, what about Boca. It's so to me it was just like it was prime primed for. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's very Republican and I don't know that that's Bravo's brand in Boca.
Speaker 4: Well, again, it becomes it becomes political in ways that I always argue I don't really care about. I certainly have my own political beliefs. But I like to watch TV and feel like I'm looking into a window, not into a mirror. I don't want to see me or my life. It's very boring, you know, or my views. I want to see people who have different perspectives on things. And I think we all need to be a lot less judgmental and critical. I think we sort of need to.
Speaker 2: Like, Amen, Amen.
Speaker 4: You're talking to somebody who deleted all in social media and hasn't been online in two years.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that you haven't been back yet. That's amazing to me. I love it because of it.
Speaker 4: God, yeah, much very much. So I've stopped. I have no idea what anyone says about me, and it's lovely.
Speaker 2: Really, I love it.
Speaker 1: By the way, I was listening to Watchful Crappens the other day and they were saying they they mentioned you, and they were like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dave Quentin disappeared, like you're well go and like he hasn't been seen since, but he's working away, he's plugging away, but like no one knows where he is where he is.
Speaker 2: But I love that. What bad things, what anyone say about you?
Speaker 1: I can't even know, no one ever says a bad word about you.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know. I'll let you know. The people don't like me, it's no problem, you know. The truth at the end of the day is that I like me and I just don't.
Speaker 2: Really we love you.
Speaker 4: I don't want to worry about all that stuff. And if you have something to say about me, you better say it behind my back because I don't care. I don't want to know, and I would much prefer to, like, you know, live in my own internal bliss of just feeling happy about myself and not feeling stressed out of me.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I do have to say I signed up of Instagram when Finale was airing last year for a month, and it was really freeing.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 4: It's wonderful to sort of be away from it. I do think if if I had any I mean, you know, I've given a lot of advice to housewives. I've given both of you a lot of advice. Jackie, I met you before your season started hearing Yeah, and gave you this whole thing. I do think that, like the number one thing that would be so helpful for every housewife is not to be on social media. It's just like, if you can afford to hire someone to post for you. Just do that and just move forward and not look at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it doesn't even end on the show ends, because I saw yesterday that Mia, well by the time this airs, I'm not sure when this is airing, but Mia is now telling the cast of Potomac that they better not be talking about her or she'll sue them for defamation. And like it's just like you're, you're done, move on with the life, like you know they're going to talk about you, but like you know, it just stays and it weighs on you, and like it keeps you like aggravated.
Speaker 2: You know, picture like that being like if I logged off of not now because no one's really talking about me now, but like if I had logged off of social media because I'm always like, well, I'm gonna miss you know, the people in my life and just had like a private account with my non Housewives people, you know, the people that I always was on Facebook with their birthdays because it popped up on Facebook, Like that would be I could probably compromise in that way. I wouldn't feel so like I was, you know, missing out.
Speaker 4: It is I think, yeah, everywhere you go, people are going to ask you about this show. And that's the one thing that Caroline Manze said to me once that it really resonated with me. Or She's like, it's been sixteen years and people still ask me about a table flip that I didn't even do. Like for the rest of my life, people are going to be asking me about this stuff. And it's just you have to think of it that way. Is that like it there's no escape for you all. You're forever a part of this franchise. Whether you liked it or not, you signed up.
Speaker 2: I actually love that I loved it. I loved my experience on the show.
Speaker 1: There have been moments, of course, but I love the network, I love the show, and I don't mind being associated with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's the thing I like. It's a mindset, right, It's like, if they're always going to be coming to me and talking to me about this thing, then I have to be able to live with it and to waist forward for it. So I recognize how difficult it is for everyone. That's why I am very proud of the fact that I've always sort of stayed in a positive, loving kindness mentality, and I.
Speaker 1: Think that's why everyone gravitates to you. I'm like, there will be times when I'm on the phone with Dave, We're like six housewives, they'll call through.
Speaker 2: You are. You are like a very calming and but like you know everything. You are the people magazine of the tabloids. Yes, like rise above, you are the fair, equitable and kind. Well, I guess People's not a tabloid, but you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: No, of course I understand exactly what you mean, and I'm proud of that. Listen, I got to be able to put my head down at the end of the night. And I think that there's no there's nothing wrong with fans wanting to have fun with all of this. It is entertainment, I get it. But I do think that there's a line cross that often happens where they don't really understand the difference between like the silly and the you know, serious, and they get really intense, and I feel pretty bad for them. They did it towards me. There were there were death rumors. By the way, when I Instagram, I don't know, there were there were Reddit boards and people were sending me told me scared out of their mind that I killed myself. I was like, no, sorry, look pretty good for a dead bitch.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like I could ask you questions all day, Jen, Do you have anything else?
Speaker 2: A million more? I know I really do too. But I think I think this was wait wait because you had something. You and I talked about something.
Speaker 1: Jack.
Speaker 2: I want to know, like you said, like, who is who do you think is the best housewife?
Speaker 1: Best housewife of all time? Taking me and Jen out of it. You know, obviously I.
Speaker 2: Don't think you.
Speaker 4: I mean I long have people that I would put on my mount rushmore of housewives that I think are really good housewives. I really am a respector villain sort of a guy. You know. I look at people like Lisa Renna and I you know, I appreciate what they brought to the show because I know how hard it is to be the messy person, and I think that they advance storyline in that way, and I look towards people like that. The one I relate the most too is Caroline Manzo. She's just always been my go to favorite housewife because she reminds me a lot of you know, my Italian family and sort of what I look for in a person that loyalty, that like love and that unconditional love kids, which just really yeah, you know, I love that answer.
Speaker 2: I would have not thought that you would have said that. I would have not that. But there's a lot of absolute sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's a lot of different things. I mean, I don't think there's any bad housewise. The truth is like even the ones that people don't like, I've been like, there's stuff I can find it in them that I find enjoyable to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of one and done's that I don't agree with. I think they should have stuck around, even like Noela on Ocean County, like I thought she was chuck four.
Speaker 2: I do get that. Why did she get fired? She was cuckoo in the kookiest way. I don't Orange County. I keep calling it Oceans That's okay.
Speaker 4: Sometimes there's a thing as much too much storyline. I think bron Wind and Burke out with the same situation, like there's too much storyline for the audience to digest, and it becomes really it feels very manufactured. Mea as somebody else who dealt with that too much going on in their lives. You know, you are like and I mean, you need to slowly peel it back and she'll be a fired I don't think so. I think that they would have filmed with me again, but I think Mia wasn't living in Potomac anymore, so that sort of makes it hard to be on the Real Housewives of Potomac.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: But I don't know for sure. I didn't really inquire about that one.
Speaker 2: This is just a personal thing. Where do you What do you think of Bethany?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's so funny. Bethany is was and I think many people feel the same way when you first watched her on Housewives, Like was the character that we all fell in love with because she was such a voice of the people and it felt like her perspective on things were so funny and so entertaining and so right on. And she's continued to be somebody who has like used social media, and you know, well after the show left, found a way to continue being that voice of the people. I'm entertained by it. She's always been really lovely to me. She didn't do my book very famously refused to do the book, but then talked a lot of shit about it, which made the sales go up. So thanks Bethany for that.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm surprised you're a fan.
Speaker 4: Well, you know again, like what is.
Speaker 2: Lots of people are lots of people are fans of hers?
Speaker 4: What is it going to cost me being I don't know. I guess that at the end of the day, there's not really a lot of people I'm not a fan of. Yeah, you know, it's just that I would say there's two or three of them that I pretty much don't like off camera, that I don't really like on camera, and they are and there are my connection just.
Speaker 1: Beler, Metsy, Patsy, well, Dave, we love you and thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 2: Will you come on again any time?
Speaker 4: Seriously, I love you both so so much and I'm so grateful. At the end of the day, no matter what happens to Jersey, you're all icons in my eyes, and I'm so grateful for all the incredible entertainments that you've given us as viewers.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, and we're grateful for you as well, to say the least. Thanks Dave, thank you,