Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Girls Talk Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Christie Scales, Aisha Morrison, Nicole Hutchison, and Jess Navarrees.
Speaker 4: Hey, what's up? Cowboys Nation?
Speaker 5: Welcome in a Girls Talk Boys Talk presentive by Jig Saw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. I'm Nicole Hutcheson alongside Christy Scales here out here in Oxnard, California. We've got Jess Navarrees and Aisha Morrison in studio. I'm sorry, I'm kind of trying not to disturb the offensive defensive line. They're literally doing yoga right next to us, and we don't want to disturb their peace.
Speaker 6: For now.
Speaker 5: We're gonna just keep it a little bit quiet for the guys they can lock in. But first things first, ladies, we did not get a chance to talk about Sam Williams and how big of a loss this is for the Dallas Cowboys so early in training camp. But the Cowboys have signed two new guys so far, agreed to terms with two new guys, al Kadeen Muhammet, who's a former Colts guy defensive end. And then you've got Shaka Tony who's with Washington. The Washington Commanders talking with you, Christy, I'll start with you, Christy, how much of a I guess what have you seen from those two guys and what can they bring to the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, Mohammed is he'll be going into his seventh season. So in six seasons, mostly with the Indianapolis Colts, he's played in eighty four career games, has twelve career sacks for forced fumble.
Speaker 4: Thirty three quarterback hits.
Speaker 6: So his best season in Indianapolis was in twenty twenty one, where he started every game and had six sacks seven tackles for loss. So he's a guy with a lot more experience than Tony. Tony the past three seasons in Washington, but April, a year and a half ago, was suspended for the entire twenty twenty three season for betting on NFL games. So he's someone who was drafted by the Washington Commanders in the seventh round out of Penn State and twenty twenty one, but didn't get to play the third season with Washington last year because of that suspension. Muhammed also is a player whose career has been interrupted by suspensions. He's from University of Miami, but two of those seasons he didn't get to play because of suspensions. So basically what they're trying to do is just add depth the defensive end and have more bodies in as part of the rotation. And Nicole, when you mentioned the loss of Sam Williams, Mike Zimmer was among the three coordinators that spoke to the media today and Mike Zimmer was talking about the loss of Sam Williams and that they expected him to maybe get up to seventy percent of the defensive snaps last year and that is a lot as part of a rotation, So it's a big loss. John Fossil special teams coordinator, We remember how Sam Williams played gunner last year on punt team. They were going to be able to maybe use him not all the time, but situationally, you're not going to use a starter on defense in special teams the way that you used Sam before when he was the backup but they could have really used him with the new kickoff rules this year, using some bigger bodies on coverage.
Speaker 4: So it's a big blow.
Speaker 6: But Mohammed and Tony adding depth to the defensive end rotation.
Speaker 5: Before I throw to you, I used you real quick just for more of a scouting report as well. To add to that, I think that you know the fact that Sam Williams only played three hundred snaps last year defensive snaps and had two back to back forward plus sax seasons. I mean, he's a pass rusher that the Cowboys are desperately going to miss. But I mean this is a chance for maybe a guy like Marshaw Neeland. I know we'll get to that and what he's done so far through camp to really step up though, but I should.
Speaker 4: Now I'm gonna go ahead and throw to you.
Speaker 5: What's your thoughts on these two new editions for the to the Dallas coup was defensive line?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I mean both of these gentlemen are really long athletes, and I think there was a general consensus with both of them that you know, both of them have some traits in where they can play the run pretty well and they can also rush the passer, and I know with Muhammad and a little bit of the film that I was able to see from him, he does a good job of disengaging finding the ball.
Speaker 8: He has some pops, some explosiveness to this game.
Speaker 7: And when you Christy, you mentioned that Shaka Tony was going through this you know, suspension and some of the things, it sounds like that was a shock to Commanders fans.
Speaker 8: It sounds like it was a shock to the you know and the state that they were in.
Speaker 7: If you guys remember with the Commanders, they have been struggling finding those edges that they want to you know, solidify and just kind of doing some digging. It sounds like a lot of the people around the you know organization were kind of disappointed. They were looking forward to Shaka coming in. He is a seventh round pick, but he showed some good traits, some of that burst, some of the explosiveness. So I think the Cowboys, both of these gentlemen, are being brought in for some of their traits because you're trying to make up for the loss of Sam Williams and how explosive he is as well. So they're gonna get some run help there, some experience more experience with Mohammed as you talked about before. But yeah, both of these gentlemen kind of have something to prove too as well, you know, coming off these suspensions, trying to find their legs here, and we'll see how they fit into this system moving forward.
Speaker 9: Yeah, when I was doing some digging earlier on both of these guys, what I really noticed both of their emphasis and their game is is going more speed to power in passing situation. So I think that's obviously going to pan out very very well for what you're needing. Oh, you can't see me right now, but what I did notice about Shaka Tony is he's a secure tackler. So anytime you can get me a secure tackler, please do it. Dallas, thank you.
Speaker 7: Yeah you did it.
Speaker 9: He's great in tackling. What I will say though, that I did notice he needs somewherek containing the edges.
Speaker 8: Yes, ma'am. He can get a little aggressive coming down.
Speaker 9: But but to be fair, I do think these D line coaches and Gregson and jeff'son Nina and and oh my goodness, I'm spacing Greg Greg.
Speaker 8: Wallis, thank you.
Speaker 9: I almost switched their names. And Greg Allis can really help contain that. But as far as Mohammed, what I did notice was speed to power definitely his biggest thing. Uh And then as far as something that caught my eye as he had four forced fumbles as well, So he is a real ballhawk and he will make sure uh to kind of cut down that ball when it is held. So pros to both of them, obviously, some of them are. Both of them need work in some areas of their game, but overall, great depth guys, great additions, especially in the loss of a guy like Sam who big body, powerful and overall just a guy that you expect a lot from this.
Speaker 7: And Nicole really quickly I wanted to add, you know another thing, Yeah, another thing as well. Both of them kind of fit the mold of a Zimmer end well, Zimmer is not a guy that really loves those smaller framed edges, you know, So them coming in uh shaka TONI, if I'm not mistaken, is what one two thirty eight and Muhammed is about two fifty. So they kind of fit that mold of that bigger edge that still has some physicality to them and can play with power back, but can do some things with speed as well. So I understand why they decided to go with these gentlemen some upside in both of them.
Speaker 9: I also sorry, Nicole, I know we're trying to bounce back to you, but go ahead. I wanted to mention what I noticed in watching practice back the past couple of two padded practices is uh de La getting obviously a lot more work with Sam out, So I think having these guys come in is going to preserve him a little bit more too, because having a guy like Di Law, who would normally be taking a little bit more of better and rest because it's d Law, he doesn't have that stress on his body right now during camp. So to me, that's also a plus of bringing these guys in right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I love to hear that. I love to hear that.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 5: Also with talking about Mohammed just for a brief minute, I know Christy kind of hit on this, but that's another veteran guy that you're getting on this defensive line.
Speaker 8: Right because you really have what d Law right now you have.
Speaker 5: Micah's not really necessarily i'd say a veteran, but he knows the system. He knows he's been here with the Cowboys, So I mean you're getting guy Mohammed that's been in the league since twenty seventeen, so you're getting a guy who obviously knows a lot of different things that can help with these younger guys on that defensive line. But talking about those younger guys and switching gears, Christy, y'all start with you, what have you seen so far from Marshawn Neland because he has absolutely stepped in and just kind of taken a really big step in just what a week we've been here and.
Speaker 6: On Star benefiting greatly just from getting reps with a the first team after Sam went down.
Speaker 4: So not that there's.
Speaker 6: Any good news when you lose such a guy who's going to be a value would have been a valuable player this year, like Sam Williams, but with that happening so early in camp, that's more for Neelan. Also, it's interesting I mentioned John Fossil before talking about missing Sam Williams. You know he was looking at using Marshawn Neelan possibly on some kickoff coverage, a bigger body like that. But now that Sam Williams is gone and Marshaw Neelan's going to play, you know, a lot more defense than John Fossil points out that it's really like losing two guys instead of just one, the domino effect of Sam Williams injury, and if I can move to defensive tackle for just a moment, because you ask about young guys. Mike Zimmer brought this up during his press conference today, And trust me when I say that, with Mike Zimmer, if you earn a if you get a compliment from Zimmer, you have earned it. He is not a guy that tosses out verbal bouquets just to do it. But he was singing the praises of Mozzie Smith and you know, talking about how diligent he is, and I just want to follow up just from my notes, he says, regardless of what I've heard coming in, you know, he's doing the doing the hard things, taking on the double teams, his hands are in the right place, he knows where he's supposed to be. And in regards to the run game, I've been impressed. So when Mike Zimmer says he's been impressed by somebody, I would say that Mozzie Smith has earned that. So for everyone who's down on Mozzie, I just want to let you know that the defensive coordinator, has noted the progress that he's made through this first week of camp.
Speaker 5: Christy to bounce off your thoughts on Sean Elyn, I know ye're kind of switch gears a little bit, but what's your thoughts on my Shaan Elen?
Speaker 8: So yeah, I actually know you're fine.
Speaker 7: I actually went back to my draft knows just to kind of look look at some of the things I thought about him, and you know, he's just so fast off the ball, and that's something that's stands out to you. But really with him is his is the hand fighting and some of the stuff he can do disengaging a stopping the run, he is going to have to. He is in a place to where he's developing more pass rush ability and some and some things in that regard, but just as far as getting a feel for the run game. Obviously this is a young guy, so he also too, is going to continue to develop playing with more power and dealing with you know, shedding and tackling. But for the most part, it sounds like listening to the coaches, he's retained the information very quickly. He's taking his off season seriously and getting in the playbook and figuring things out and they are still looking for an edge opposite of Tank Lawrence to stop this run consistently. So to see him kind of fitting in where he's fitting in, and they are asking a lot of him now to your point, you know, with the Sam of with the loss of Sam Williams. So for me, it's just what stands out more than anything right now for him is the size, because he is a big dude. He's real big dude, six three two seventy five. But the way that he's getting off the ball, that's going to pay dividends to him as he continues to become a better run defender and a better pass rusher as well. So yeah, I've been pleased with him so far, ladies. Cool, just what you got.
Speaker 9: Oh I was going to bounce back from Christie's comments about Mazzi. Sorry, that's go for it, go for it, go for Oh you're good, I'm Christy. To your point, I'm not shocked the ZIM is praising Mazzi because the conversation him and I had, you know, right before the end of OTAs. Mazzi was sick and tired of people saying he was just down bad. He was sick of hearing it, he was sick of people asking like, are you okay?
Speaker 4: Are you okay?
Speaker 9: It's like, I'm fine, I'm just one, I have to get over this injury, and two like I can only put on weight so quickly in the right way. And that's something that I really want to emphasize, is that Mazzi's putting on that weight in the correct way. He's not doing it, you know, in the wrong way. So for me, guy like Mazzi, who it kind of reminds me of Jalen Tolber a little bit in the sense of kind of had to be broken down, stripped down all the way your rookie season to be built back up. That's kind of the progression I'm seeing. And funny enough, they're actually locker buddies, so they're lockers right next to each other, and Jalen Tolber, of all people, has been kind of helping Mozzi. It sounds like build that confidence in, you know, having that first down year, like being really down on yourself and not understanding, you know, things as much as you thought you would your first year in the league. And so I thought that was just such an interesting little tidbit because you hear about you know your locker room leaders, and you hear about your position group leaders. But to see kind of that cross team collaboration and leadership from a guy like Jalen Tolbert to help Mozzi build that confidence back up, it's really cool to see. And so I'm not shocked that Mazzi is working his tail off to come back, because all it took was him getting over that injury to kind of start ramping things back up for himself.
Speaker 8: I've got a question, lady.
Speaker 5: We're obviously seeing such good things from Mazie so far, and I know that it's just training camp. You want to see it in live game reps how well he can really do. But let's just say, do y'all see Ozua and Mazzie Smith being potentially the best in tier defensive interier in the league.
Speaker 8: I know you, I just want to want to know, don't.
Speaker 6: I think Jonathan Allen and Deron Payne may have something. You know, they've been they've been, uh, you know, kind of setting a standard the previous years.
Speaker 4: But I think that OsO Diggi Zua is the most underappreciated player on the defense.
Speaker 6: I would argue that, and to say that the two of them can be one of the tops in the league.
Speaker 4: I think Osa is going to have a breakout season. He was so good last year.
Speaker 6: He just hasn't gotten the nationally tension yet, but I think that's coming well. Of course it's dependent on the success of the team in the playoffs, of course, but nationally.
Speaker 4: But you know, with Mazzie, he just has to prove it. And just what you.
Speaker 6: Said, I think is spot on, and it has to do with maturity, It has to do with confidence. And I think that people don't appreciate how much of this game is mental in the NFL, and I just just mean the mental part of learning the playbook and all that, but just self confidence. And you know, you go from being the big fish on campus, the big guy on campus, and then you're the small fish in the bigger pond and you're learning new systems, you're being utilized a different way than you were in college. It's a lot to do and it's a real mental grind. And so you know, that's why coaches talk about the big leap into year two and hopefully Mazie's able to make that leap this year.
Speaker 7: Can I interject here with the Massie conversation. Yep, Okay, I'm listening. So Christy mentioned the confidence and things like that and stealing fence into the players. I think that's a lot of why Zim came out and said what he said today is that you don't They're aware of the conversations.
Speaker 8: They're aware of people questioning whether he's ready to go. I'm listening.
Speaker 7: My job here is to talk about the film, and what I see, and from what I've seen on film is that there's still some issues with the get The get off has gotten better, and that's and I credit Zanino on that he has been so adamant with him from what I know off to the sides, working with him trying to get that get off right. But I do think that there still is some issues with him finding his anchor and dropping that ass and making sure that people aren't pushing them off his spot and being square and also too when they're doing some listen, hey, listen, draft talk is here. So but but when you know, sometimes when they are double teaming him, he's getting pushed, he's getting flowed out of these plays. We need him to stay firm and to be able to disengage and go find the tackler and then you guys mentioned.
Speaker 8: Oh so Diggizua.
Speaker 7: One of the reasons why also Gazula to me has not seen his full potential is the issues at de tackle at one tech, which is that the guy that lines up over the center because oh soo the Gizula is a three tech.
Speaker 8: He is a pass, rushy, get up field type guy.
Speaker 7: He's not someone that should be holding double teams forever setting.
Speaker 8: Up other guys.
Speaker 7: Other people should be setting up for him. So getting a one tech in here that is going to really seriously hold down that forward or if if it's not Mazi, whoever it is, I've heard, I've seen some good.
Speaker 8: Things from Justin Rogers.
Speaker 7: To be honest, I just wanted to comment, like, I understand that we're behind the player, but I can't. I can't sit up here and say that I'm seeing this consistency on film because I'm not now either flashes.
Speaker 8: Sure, but you're looking for.
Speaker 7: A little bit more from him moving forward, and he is coming back from an injury, and I understand, but I just I wanted to temper things personally with myself.
Speaker 8: Do you feel tempered now?
Speaker 6: I feel tempered and rooting for him and the other thing is you mentioned you mentioned.
Speaker 4: The past, you know with Mazie.
Speaker 6: And the one thing that Zim did say today is don't you know he's not a speed rusher up the middle.
Speaker 4: That's not his game.
Speaker 6: He needs to keep working on the power rush up the middle. But you know, I'll be happy with let's just see some consistent run stopping.
Speaker 8: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 6: It, like you say, dropping and controlling the gap. And then you know, like that, let's let's let's concentrate on that.
Speaker 8: Jess, you got something. Oh no, I thought we're getting ready to cut the break.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: I just want to make sure I hit everybody.
Speaker 4: No, you're good, didn't break up.
Speaker 5: Next, we got a chance to hear from John Fossil today, just giving us a little classroom class media class. I guess I can say on special teens, that's up next here on Girls Talk Boy SoC Presented by Jigsaw.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 11: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the butun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to footopia.
Speaker 4: Burgers better with pepsi. That's what I like.
Speaker 12: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who'll put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper. Because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: The Dickey family always mandated that the only police style sausage worthy of their restaurant must have high quality course ground beef and port rich spices and fresh natural casings. We still serve it to this day and it's so popular. Dickey Sausage has been named the official sausage of the Dallas Cowboys. The perfect matchup on game day Dickie's Barbecue Pit no one else smokes us. Order at Dickies dot com for groups called eight sixty six.
Speaker 13: Barber Cue gives on the ribs.
Speaker 9: Elevate your game this twenty twenty four season with the official training camp Headwork Collection. Find it at a pro shop near you or online at shopped dot Dallas Cowboys dot com. A fanatics experience and get ready for football season. Yeah, thank you to call, Thank you to cole Aisha.
Speaker 1: Where is?
Speaker 9: Where is?
Speaker 4: Your Black Spirit?
Speaker 7: Became so fast and then I just feel like I'm thinking about the film.
Speaker 9: Don't make me say it again and make you react.
Speaker 8: Being attached to my computer.
Speaker 5: Say one more time, Say one more time, Just one more.
Speaker 9: And get ready for football season. Whoo jazzy, let's go at some backer.
Speaker 4: How was that wool.
Speaker 5: Reading something?
Speaker 8: Laddy Daddy?
Speaker 9: So fake?
Speaker 8: Every time.
Speaker 7: We like the fun.
Speaker 9: Oh there it is, it's coming, that's building up.
Speaker 4: Aysha's energy was fake.
Speaker 8: But y'all know what's not fake?
Speaker 5: Oh God, there she goes this kickoff change.
Speaker 8: Y'all got it?
Speaker 9: I love her.
Speaker 7: I was trying.
Speaker 4: Today the media was blessed with.
Speaker 5: Now you want to figure out the sound effect as what happens? I'm dead But no, guys, old ladies. Uh, the media today here in ox Now got a chance to hear from Coach Fossil today on just get a little breakdown of the new kickoff rule and kickoff changes and how it impacts the Cowboys. Christy, y'all start with you on just your biggest takeaways so far from that classroom.
Speaker 6: Well, it's the biggest fundamental change to the game in decades. Really, they're trying to encourage more kickoff returns and it's going to look completely different. In the fact that Coach Fossil instead of doing his press conference from the podium, he's actually the way it's set up here in Oxnard is the media is in a tent on a tennis court, literally covering a tennis court, and so they set up a TV monitor in there underneath the tent, which was great we were out of the sun in the shade, but literally a tutorial on the changes, and it's going to look so different. So the only thing that's going to remain the same on kickoff returns is the kicker is still going to be at the thirty five yard line on his side of the field. Everybody else will be on the other side of the field, and so you're going to have ten coverage men at the forty and then the blockers are going to be there at the thirty five, so there's only five yards between the two. So once the ball is kicked off, you're going to have either one or two, most likely two returners deep and the ball must land between.
Speaker 4: The end zone. You can't go into the end zone.
Speaker 6: It's a touch back to the thirty yard line between that and the twenty yard line, so between the goal line and the twenty yard line, and if it doesn't land within that area, then it's either going to be at the thirty yard line or the forty yard line. So it's very punitive if you don't kick the ball to where the returners can return it. But what they're trying to do is limit the downfield collisions running from your own thirty five yard line and engaging blockers on that side of the field. Now there's only a five yard difference between the blockers and the guys coming down to make the tackle, so it's a lot more close combat, so to speak. And it's interesting because coach Fossil says, even after preseason games, you're not gonna have much of a beat on what to expect in the regular season because in preseason, nobody wants to give away anything that's gonna be done in the regular season. In the same breath, I say, I can't wait to see the Hall of Fame game tonight, and I can't wait to watch as many preseason games as possible because I just want to see what it's it's gonna look like. But I'm very intrigued. Aisha, what do you think. Do you think this is a positive overall?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean you've talked to us about the opportunity. You know, special teams gives guys opportunity to show what they can do, and it gives them opportunity to get on the field. But Christy, if I'm not mistaken, you did tell us that something with the lineup is gonna give some of these bigger guys some opportunity. I think that's why Sam was out there. Can you explain that to us a little bit, because you mentioned that the way that they're lining up, now, maybe you don't you have the freedom to have a bigger, physical guy out there on coverage as opposed to it being predominantly corners and linebackers.
Speaker 4: Did you say that now? Absolutely right.
Speaker 6: So you have the kicker at the thirty five yard line, and so in the past, all of your the attend coverage guys would be on that same thirty five yard line. Now they're on the other forty yard line, so instead of having to run that far, they're already down there, so the speed is not as big of an issue, and so you're gonna have.
Speaker 4: You can have some bigger bodies.
Speaker 6: Sam Williams was an anomaly, right to have a big defensive end and a powerful guy like that that could run like that on Now he was punt coverage, but you have to worry less about that.
Speaker 4: But it could change things on the back end.
Speaker 6: Do you need to go with bigger guys as blockers, if you go with shorter guys smaller guys. One of the things that coach Fossil was talking about today is if it's a smaller guy going against a bigger man, then you know you would want to be right up at the thirty five yard line and engage him at the thirty five and not take a few steps back and give that guy a three or four or five yard head start. You want to get up right on him right because if he gets a head start, he might truck you. So it's it's very very interesting, and there are some other things that we picked up on today from Coach Fossil.
Speaker 4: I'll give an example.
Speaker 6: If let's say there are windy conditions and the ball is going to blow off the tee, well you would get one of your coverage guys to come and help hold.
Speaker 4: The ball, right.
Speaker 6: Well, you're not going to do that when those guys are team twenty five yards down field. So the league is allowing for a twelfth man to come onto the field to hold the ball, to put his finger on top of the ball on top of the tee so it doesn't blow over. But as soon as the ball is kicked, he has to run off the field. Oh wow, So, like coach Fossil said, you could have Zach Martin, all three hundred pounds of him do it as long as he and off the field. The other thing is the other thing is the only people that can be moving until the ball is caught as the ball is fielded or the ball lands are the two returners. They can be moving back and forth. I think the best example is Cavante Turpin, I think inarguably is the top return man for the Cowboys. If he's lined up on the right side, is the other team gonna kick the ball to him? Are they gonna try and kick it to the other side? They'll probably try and kick it to the other side. If you were playing that, you know, you wouldn't kick it to Cordero Patterson. You'd kick it away from him, right, he's one of.
Speaker 4: The top return guys.
Speaker 6: Well, the two return guys can move before the kick, so they can switch sides. They can flip flop if they want so. There are a lot of really small details in this new kickoff rule that everyone's you know, you try and figure it out before it happened, But once things happened. There are always unintended consequences, so it's going to be interesting to see as things go along what changes. It would be little nuances, not huge things that they changed, but little unintended consequences that have to be addressed as a season goes along.
Speaker 5: And I think it's also going to be very interesting with Brandon Aubrey and Brian Anger just as far as having to kick the ball in that landing zone and kind of Coach Fossil was just talking about how you know, the hangtime will be critical with their kicks, so I think that's something that will also be interesting as well. But Christy, I've also got to ask you about the way that Coach Fossil was kind of breaking it down, was that like, if you want two returners obviously eleven people on the field, two returners or one returner, or have an extra blocker as using a ten man front or a nine man front.
Speaker 4: Which would you feel.
Speaker 5: I guess the Cowboys could benefit more from either the nine man front or the tin man in front as far in terms of.
Speaker 6: Block I think teams are going to go with a nine man front out of necessity just because a single return man in the middle of the field. Kickoffs are not going to be like you know, They're going to be kind of some more line drive and a little it's going to be more directional, and so instead of like high pop ups where you can get over to a side of the field and field it. I think that's going to be more difficult than in the past. So I think by necessity, you're you're probably going to end up with two returners just by default and one other thing on the returns. You know, before with the league rule changes, they were trying to make the game safer. So one of the things over the last several years, you know that if a ball were in the air and if it touched, if the ball touched down in the end zone, the ball was dead and it was a touch back and it went to the twenty five yard line. Right, So Cavante turpins in the middle of the field and the ball over to one side, it hits the ground in the end zone, ball is dead, touched back to the twenty five yard line. Now, if the ball touches in the end zone, you've got to field it, or it if it in the landing zone, you got to field it, or it's a live ball right, so you got to get on it. So there's some small things like that that are going to be really, really really interesting. And when I say in the landing zone the kickoff had it needs to, that would be like the twenty and the goal line. If the ball doesn't make it to the twenty yard line, the ball is going to be spotted at the forty. The offense is going to get the ball at their own forty yard line, so it's base. So it's the same thing as if there were an illegal kickoff, which in the past would be if you kick the ball and it went out a bounce before it got to the end zone, it would be you know, a penalty, and the ball would go.
Speaker 4: At the forty. That's the rule.
Speaker 6: If it doesn't make it to the twenty, if it's touched or goes out of balance before it gets to the twenty, the paul is going to be at the forties.
Speaker 4: So that's that's very punitive.
Speaker 9: Christy, I have a question for Atty.
Speaker 5: Fun to watch that and get a first little look at that. In today's game, actually the Texans and the Bears, that.
Speaker 8: Game starts at five o'clock our time, So what's that like? Seven o'clock.
Speaker 5: I'm still trying to get you ye time of zone adjustments, but that is today, So make sure to look out for the Special Team's new kickoff rule and everything like that today in today's game. But we go a lot to look forward to as far as that running back room here in Oxnard.
Speaker 4: Is it Malie Davis?
Speaker 5: Is it Rico? O'donald?
Speaker 4: Is it Zeke?
Speaker 5: So many names, so they're out there. We're gonna break that down in our last segment of Girls Talk, Boys Talk Presentyboy Jigsaw will be right back.
Speaker 2: The Dickey family always mandated that the only police style sausage worthy of their restaurant must have high quality course ground beef and port rich spices and fresh natural casings. We still serve it to this day, and it's so popular. Dickey Sausage has been named the official sausage of the Dallas Cowboys. The perfect matchup on King Day Dickie's Barbecue Pitch No One out smokes us. Order at Dickie's dot com for groups called eight six ' six barber Cute lit.
Speaker 13: On the rims.
Speaker 11: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing.
Speaker 4: Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's Yang.
Speaker 11: Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to foodtopia.
Speaker 4: Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 12: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: With football and dance camps presented by invisil Line are back athletes of all skill levels, ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at the Ford Center at the Star in for Risco, campers have a chance to learn technical skills and lessons on teamwork from former NFL players and at the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. Two or three day camps are available now. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash camps to learn more and register today.
Speaker 4: I got a good one for this one.
Speaker 8: Y'all.
Speaker 5: Teamwork, teamwork will make the dream work here for the Cowboys running back room because we are running back by committee this year.
Speaker 9: I'm walking out.
Speaker 8: We're trying off work.
Speaker 5: I was trying. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but no, ladies, this running back room obviously has been the talk, and you're gonna run back betting into training camp.
Speaker 8: Nope, that's all right for effort for both of us.
Speaker 5: I know, but no, the running back room has always been obviously been the talk of the off season and heading into training camp. Who will take a bulk of the reps?
Speaker 12: Who will?
Speaker 5: I mean? Is it a running back by committee approach?
Speaker 4: So many questions.
Speaker 5: But in terms of Malik, Davis is a guy who has really started to become the talk of training camp, just with the way that he's become a little bit more explosive this year or in the past couple of weeks. Christy, I'll start from you with you. I'm sorry, I I'll start with you this time, my bad. Let me switch it up. What have you seen from him as far as the practice film? I know he's been taking a bulk of some of the first team wrestle. He's really been running with the twos, getting a good mix there. But what have you liked so far from Elik Davis?
Speaker 7: I mean, well, first it starts with this offensive line. Listen the Tyler Smith and Zach Martin combo and the way that they're in brack Hoffman getting in there. They're doing some pulling and know some penning, and he you know, Malik has the ability to see it and go. You know, some guys have a little bit of hesitancy, but he has the ability to see it, put.
Speaker 8: His foot in the ground and drive.
Speaker 7: And so that's mostly what I've seen from him is he's just he's a little bit more decisive in his play right now. But also too, I think that's indicative of the fact that he's been here. These guys, this is not an installment year.
Speaker 8: This is we know what we're supposed to do.
Speaker 7: This is Mike McCarthy's offense, and they're able to come in and I think that's why we're seeing guys on both sides.
Speaker 8: Of the ball just play faster this year.
Speaker 7: And there's a lot of competition, which brings me to my last point.
Speaker 8: But it's so many running backs in this room right now. You better be every.
Speaker 7: Time you touch the ball making somebody say your name, because there's no And that's what I was gonna tell you, guys, Like listen, I know, I I don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't know if we're supposed to say that, but like I don't know.
Speaker 7: The only person on this running back roster that I think is sewn up is Hunter Lifkey, and baby, he ain't even a running back because there's just so many every day we're talking about a different guy. Like he talked to someone you might hear Royce Freeman's name, who may have opportunity on special teams.
Speaker 8: Leak Davis. You guys have said good things about him.
Speaker 7: Nathaniel Pete looks like he has some stoutness to his game.
Speaker 8: Execuel Elliott is here. We know he's a veteran.
Speaker 7: And then Rico Daddo is in the system and he might be the all around best all around back you ever, right now, it's just there's no certainty and so yeah, like with Malik Davis, he's been on this roster for a while, it's time for him to, you know, to show up. And so I'm not surprised that there's an urgency to his game and you kind of see that in.
Speaker 8: His play through these first week or so of training camp.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think for a guy like Malik who spent last year on the practice squad, he knows that this is his make or break moment. This is your chance to either excel off of that practice squad spot or you might not be here if at all, because of how stack this running back room is. One thing I will say about Malik specifically, is that Mike McCarthy really praises Malik and you heard that multiple times last year or when he was elevated from the practice squad. Even you go back to last training camp, he was talking about Malik Davis and how difficult of a decision it was to decide. Keep in mind, you were going back and forth between Malik Davis and Rico Dawbell last year, so his name has always been in the conversation. It's just this is a year where I think it's stacked with one, two too many guys, and if you're Malik Davis, you know it's either now or you're risking getting cut at this point, because it's just not only is a running backroom stacked, you have to look at kind of the picture as a whole. And Kyle Humans and I were talking about this yesterday in fact, is okay, so you can take two or three running backs, that's going to affect how many tight ends you can take vice versa, how many wide receivers do you want to take? Are you going to count Hunter Lipkey as more of like a blocking guy, which would then in fourth take away from a tight end spot? Like what are what are the what the math is not mathing just yet, and it can't right you only seen you've only seen two, he added practices. But to answer your question about Malik Davis, he should be playing that way. He's been around, he knows what he's doing. The guys respect him. The guys in the room, I mean Rico Dawdell and him are great friends. Rico sought advice from him last year. I know that for a fact. But overall, I mean, you go down. It's running back room. I mean, flip this paper over because I cannot read upside down, and you long it is, you go down. Let's see Ezekiel Elliott. It's it's hard to say he's not a lock on the roster. Let's be real like, let's call it what it is though, which is it's hard to say he's not. Ric o'dowdell I think went into this camp being essentially your your one, you're running back one, right, So he has to earn that though. He has to prove that that's what he is. Royce Freeman, you hear how stout he is and what a big body he can add. You even have we went over Malik Hunter.
Speaker 8: Look douce Vaughan.
Speaker 9: Let's not forget this. This whole thing that will shake everything up with duce Vaughan is the special teams role we were just talking about. Could be the reason that duce Vaughan locks the spot on the roster on the roster because you need him as that second returner next to uh Cavante Turpin. If he earns that spot, which in turn, does that take away from another running back? Does that take away from the tight ends? Does that take away from a receiver on your final roster? So one thing is for sure, you don't know yet. I think your running back room is literally going to come down to the last preseason game to decide who takes it.
Speaker 7: You mentioned duce Vaughan really quickly, Nicole, you missed duce Vaughn. And we heard Mike McCarthy mention that they're trying to do some things with him in the slot and they're trying to do some things with him in the backfield.
Speaker 8: Now, listen, that is a part of part of duce Vaughan's.
Speaker 7: Game that I thought was very like slept under when he came out came out of Kent State, penns Kent State where yeah, Candas state, Yeah, when he came out of there, they were doing some things him in the slot. We've seen in OTAs, I've seen it in mini camp, like some of the things they were doing with him were more receiving things.
Speaker 8: I think we also could look at a possibility.
Speaker 7: Too, and it sounds like you ladies can tell me Cavante Turpin has been doing some things out the backfield and stuff as well. This team also might look at this I don't know, pack of skittles of running backs right now, because there's so many different flavors and colors, and they might say, we're gonna manufacture run game in different ways. So you might see a run, you might see a Cavante Turpin running the ball out the backfield. More we've seen Ceedee Lamb do it as well. You talk about dudes, fine, he's a guy that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So you know, a lot of these guys are in here for the competition's sake, and that's something that like I have.
Speaker 8: To keep in mind.
Speaker 7: It's like, yeah, it's stacked, but a lot of these guys are here for competition.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't be surprised because of the numbers.
Speaker 7: The math now math and like you said, Jes that some of these so that they say, hey, we can manufacture run game with one of our receiver, two of our receivers, and they are blows of both of them. They're both good in space, and that might make make a difference in how many running backs they decide to keep. His Well, can you ladies tell us about Kamante Turbin and how he's looked out there running.
Speaker 8: Out the backfield.
Speaker 6: I think he's he's it well, definitely his strongest camp. I mean, you know, full campaigning is doing really well. He's getting no and they're they're using him, like you say, in a lot of ways. And I think you're right about manufacturing the run game in different ways. And uh but Jess also made a good point about you know, tight ends, and they're you know stacked in that area too, And so if it comes down between a running back and tight end, you know, when you're getting to your final roster cuts, I think the guy like you know, Boyce Freeman, he he can do it all, you know, and he's experienced guy, six year guy and can catch the ball out of the backfield.
Speaker 4: And then you mentioned Hunter Lipke.
Speaker 6: I just want to retrace something that we talked about. I can't remember if it was too stay your Last Friday, we were talking about seeing more twenty one right two backs and I followed up with someone who would know very well who's in that room, And I said, well, I'm thinking this, what are you thinking, like hundred Lipkey? You know, maybe more you know, lead blocking and things like that, or that we see.
Speaker 4: More twenty one. It's like, yeah, but you know we still see Lipkey.
Speaker 6: You knows as you know, a running back, you know, I mean, can you do the other things? Yes, can you catch the ball out of the backfield, But we see him primarily as a runner now. At the same time, I say that we have seen some twenty one over the last time, maybe practices too.
Speaker 9: We've been like a crystal ball somewhere to like look very ahead in the future, you know what I mean. Like maybe that's not a right now thing, but like a December playoff tomthing.
Speaker 8: Come on, Maybe she's manifesting. We love a good manifesting.
Speaker 5: Going back to Ayesha's point though about Cavante Turpin, I feel like he's a guy that you know. Of course, Michael McCarthy wants to use him as much as possible because you can use him in so many different ways, right, But last year you kind of saw him really only lean towards more so, I say, special teams only had twelve receptions last year. But the way that they've been using him in practice, I'm just looking forward to them using him maybe coming out of the backfield a little bit more often, maybe more involved in this offense, and I think that'll be kind of fun to watch. But in terms of this running back room, I think a guy that I really am interested in seeing is ric O'Donnell. I mean, he's obviously had a great start to camp so far, but I think that he even mentioned to me that last week that the snaps will kind of be distributed pretty evenly, right. And you're seeing that with Zeke, you're seeing that with Rico, You're seeing that with Milieu Davis now now taking you know, some first team reps and some second team reps as well. But I think, like you said, I is gonna come down to the maybe the last day of camp.
Speaker 8: I don't know it's gonna come down to them.
Speaker 6: I think it could come down to Yeah, that's a good problem to have because there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the final minute, I really see this running back room and the tight end room being the two rooms especially on the offense obviously that are literally chosen at the last second possible because they are your hardest decisions you have to make. With the options you can you can have the special packages you can have with every single one of these guys. I mean, it's it's not a bad problem to have, but definitely, uh would not like to be the person that's the math.
Speaker 8: That math I wouldn't name. That stressed me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, and with the special packages and and Turpin. Brian Schottenheimer, the Cowboys offensive coordinator, did speak today and his closing statement the final question was about Turpin and he said he's having a hell of a camp. So so yeah, good good spotting against you know of that by you.
Speaker 4: Guys on that.
Speaker 6: So yeah, he thumbs up from the offensive coordinator on Turpin.
Speaker 5: Is having a hell of a camp and we're having.
Speaker 4: A hell of a show this camp. Let's go.
Speaker 5: Sorry, that deserves a that deserves a deg But no, ladies, I was been talking to yall of.
Speaker 8: Those fireworks.
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 5: I know, ladies, is a good chat with y'all again today. I know we'll be back next week, so make sure to fans come and tap in with us next week for Girls Talk, Boys Talk persented by Jigsaw. We will see y'all then.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club