Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Monday, Best and Worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked, you didn't like? You just tuning in Jacksonville. Jaguars had moved on from Doug Peterson, Patriots moving on from Gerrod Mayo. The Giants are keeping their coaching staff. We don't know what the Raiders are going to do. We'll talk to Albert Breer, the Monday Morning quarterback, get his thoughts on who is next and why. The Patriots after telling Gerrod Mayo, you're our coach in waiting for five years, that all of a sudden, it's like you get married, and then all of a sudden, six months later, you go, we're getting a divorce, Like, wait, what happened?
Speaker 3: What didn't you know?
Speaker 2: Maybe fire the coordinators instead of the head coach, and you found your quarterback in Drake may very puzzling. And before you say, well, you can't pass on Mike Brabel they did last year he was available. Then Brian Flores coordinated with the Vikings. He was available. Then Grod Mayo is one and done. Antonio Pierce might be one and done with the Raiders as well. Westin Wurst to the weekend operators sitting by Tyler takes your phone calls each seven to seven three DP show. So the Broncos are in their reward, they get to go to Buffalo where they're nine nine and a half point underdogs. Bengals and Dolphins are out. We wonder if Tyreek Hill is out out with the Dolphins. He took himself out of the lineup late in the game. His head coach wasn't aware and did not give his blessing on that the Buccaneers are in, Falcons are out, and the Lions get the number one seed in the NFC eight seven to seven to three DP show, Seaton, would you update the poll results from our one and what's the question are we going to go with in our two?
Speaker 4: See, we got a few of them up here. More surprising Broncos are in the playoffs or the Bengals are not?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 4: Fifty nine percent have the Bengals not in the playoffs? Who would you rather having the playoffs? The Bengals? Are the Broncos right now? Seventy percent would rather have the Bengals?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: And then the Raiders should This is one Paul just threw out the Raiders. Should a trade up for Shador Sanders or b keep the picks, sign Rogers, bring back Devonte Adams.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: If those are my only options, I don't want to trade up for Schador Sanders, I cam Ward and shud Door Sanders.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If they are day one starters, that doesn't mean they don't develop into starters here.
Speaker 3: You know, look at Bryce Young.
Speaker 2: Remember Carolina, there were there were talks, there were rumors, there were reports they were fielding trade offers for Bryce Young. I said, what are you doing? He's a kid, he's learning all of a sudden. You don't see what you think you're supposed to see or c. J. Stroud is far more than what you have. Therefore you going to move on. First two months, Bryce Young had three touchdowns, six interceptions, so they benched him, and I said, yes, let him sit, let him understand, and then next time around then you'll get a better assessment. The last two months twelve touchdowns, three interceptions, Let him learn, give him time. You are bad. It's it's not a good situation as far as talent goes. But I thought he played, really he played with confidence, and it looked like he actually understood concepts. There you get to the line of scrimmage, you might change something you're comfortable. Anthony Richardson is not there yet, but I said the same thing. Sit him down. Now, he didn't take himself out of the game. That's not good. But he is young, you know, whether twenty one or twenty two years of age. You know, Bo Nicks is twenty four, Jaydon Daniels probably twenty four. They've got experience. These guys don't, certainly Anthony Richardson, But you know the cold situation. They're keeping their coaching staff in place, and the Giants are keeping their coaching staff in place as well.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin and Bryce show's got a ton of confidence. Now did you see the look away touchdown pass.
Speaker 3: He went Steph Curry? It was great.
Speaker 2: You know when Steph would take the shot and turn around, that's what he did. Now, Lamar did it on Saturday. So here's Bryce young one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll do that too.
Speaker 2: He throws the pass and turn around, turns around and then raises his hand signaling touchdown. Pretty good. Now I don't want that, but I thought it was entertaining. Yes, Paul that play makes me nervous.
Speaker 6: Yes, someone's gonna throw a strike and you did your job, and you're gonna do the turnaround Larry Bird to the sky and your guy's gonna drop it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Larry had built up a reputation as hey three point shooting contest. Fingers going up in the air. You guys are playing for second place. You're Bryce Young and you're playing in Carolina.
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 2: Email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at TP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio. Odds to be the number one overall pick according to DraftKings this morning, Shador Sanders is your favorite. Then it's Cam Ward, then it's Travis Hunter. The Titans looks like they will draft a quarterback Will Levis. You know, they gave him an opportunity. I just didn't think he was consistent enough to be a starting quarterback. And it might be one of those and we see this where it doesn't work in one situation and then you go to another team you're a backup quarterback, and then you get your chance and then maybe it does work for Will left. Will Levis was right out of central casting. If we were doing a TV movie on the Titans, you'd go, well, we're going to cast Will Levis. That's the way it felt. And that team is nondescript. If you want to bring in Shador Sanders, you're certainly going to bring into personality, Travis Hunter and cam Ward those are the three favorites to be the number one overall pick. All right, do we have another firing in the NFL?
Speaker 3: Paul, We do.
Speaker 6: It's not a head coaching firing, but it's a surprising firing because this gentleman was considered. He's one of the more You know, when you watch the games, they always say defensive coordinator blank, and they mentioned his name. This guy's mentioned all the time as a future head coaching candidate. The Bengals have fired defensive coordinator lou An Arumo. Oh, he's catching the blame.
Speaker 2: And I remember last year you had analyst, you had insiders saying he deserves a head coaching position.
Speaker 3: Boy, that changes quickly.
Speaker 2: Man, our defense is really good and then your defense is really bad because you can't put to you. Can we find out statistically a team that's had the top quarterback, in the top wide receiver, and the overall leader in sacks and they don't make the playoff. I don't know if that's ever been done before. Joe Burrow led in passing yards and touchdowns, Jamar Chase won the triple Crown, and Trey Hendrickson ended up with seventeen and a half sacks.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: But when you lose your first three, you mail it in that first week. You're acting like the Patriots game is a preseason game, and it costs you. You look back on some of these losses early in the season, and this is what we talk about every year because you can say, well, it's early. You know it's a loss that's early. You're going to make up for that. No, you can't. You can try. But how many teams are going to have nine wins or ten wins or eight wins. It feels like the league is full of that. Although this was historically a great season, this is the first time since twenty twelve every playoff team has at least ten wins. Now they've gone to seventeen games, but still, since twenty twelve, every team has at least ten wins and then the situation you have the Vikings on the road, they're going to the Rams.
Speaker 3: What could go wrong? Yes, Marmon.
Speaker 5: Do you think they should change the rules where if you win the division or it should go by best records, where if you win, you don't get an automatic home playoff win home playoff game, you just get into the playoffs.
Speaker 2: So is this like the college football playoffs where Boise State and Arizona State shouldn't get first round bys?
Speaker 7: Correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, what if you did? If I did, if you win your division home field advantage, and then I go by record after that wins.
Speaker 3: Could you do that?
Speaker 2: Could you do winning records strength to schedule type thing? How you see the rest of the playoffs?
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, I would just put the best records get a home playoff game.
Speaker 3: Oh, so it doesn't matter if you win your division?
Speaker 5: No, because sometimes some divisions are strong one year and sometimes they're not.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, todd Aalbert Breer not able to join us.
Speaker 8: He's on the phone. Maybe there's some kind of breaking news. He's going to join us. Top up next hour.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 3: Oh he's busy. Oh so he's too busy for us.
Speaker 2: He's probably doing his job, his actual job being the Monday morning quarterback. Ross Tucker is going to have time for us coming up here in a little will not be too busy to Joe. He will not I load you guys.
Speaker 7: Uh so uh.
Speaker 2: The Cincinnati Bengals have moved on from there defensive coordinator. According to Adam Schefter, still waiting to see what happens in Dallas with Mike McCarthy. There were a lot of reports, go figure, it's the Cowboys that and I felt probably the last two months they were keeping Mike McCarthy, and then you had this.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a report.
Speaker 2: It was that Mike McCarthy could be interested in the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 3: So if you're going to have you can't report on a belief.
Speaker 2: Even when Adam Schefter or you know, any of these other insiders give you a hey, that could happen, or they're leaning tour like, you need a report because if they say it now, all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: It becomes a report.
Speaker 2: And a lot of times, you know, we'll have insiders say, hey, I'm going to say this, I'm going to say it again.
Speaker 3: I'm not reporting this. This is my opinion.
Speaker 2: Even then people still will say did you hear what such and such had to say. Insiders have to be careful with this because you may want to be a personality, but your job is to be an informational ATM. That's it. Do that, but don't be it. Hey, you know, leaning towards or that could happen. Even if you say you know, I'm hearing and look, I've been in this business for a long long time. All you have to do is say sources doesn't mean you have to you have them, And I'm going to guess there are quite a few people who have reports who don't have sources. It becomes an opinion, and that's where it gets dangerous.
Speaker 3: Hey, sources, and it's always sources.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: When I worked at ESPN, you had to have two sources. Since then, there are times my college football source is one guy that I trust and he's been dead on I don't usually follow it up and go let me get a second source. There's certain people have track record with and I trust them. But if you say sources, okay, like I can't argue with sources, can you. I had a source yesterday sent me a text, Hey, keep an eye on the colts. They might be blowing it up now that might be something the fans want. I'm surprised Chris Ballard survive, Shane Steiken, you know, they kept their jobs, and I think because of Jim Irsay and his health.
Speaker 3: Who's running the team.
Speaker 2: Pat McAfee came out scorched earth on the Colts a couple of weeks ago, which gave me the feeling of he must know something, that they're going to do something, and they didn't do anything. Which I'm not rooting for anybody who lose their job, but there are certain situations where I'm surprised people hold on to their jobs. Hass in South Bend, I hass what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: I'm morning, guys.
Speaker 10: Unfortunately I don't have a best or worse because I didn't want any sports this weekend. But I got two interesting questions. If you guys can answer for may please, And it's about Notre Dame football. Why are they independent? You got their basketball team and the ACC and I believe the hockey team.
Speaker 2: Is a hus It's money. They got control. They got money that they have their own TV network. That's why they do it.
Speaker 10: Okay, Now, let's say by some act of God, they decided to go to a conference. Where do you guys think would be a good fit for them?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the Big Ten is reached out to them. ACC has reached out to them, But there's no upside there. They are pretty much with a twelve team maybe fourteen team playoff. They're guaranteed if they're Notre Dame they'll make the playoffs. Well, they made eighteen million dollars last week. I don't have to share that with anybody. All these other teams got to share that money with other teams in their conference. So you get standalone games, you get a TV network, NBC in Peacock, there's no reason to Now you might say, what, oh what about strength to schedule? Are you going to be able to still play some of these schools?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean are they going to lose out on USC?
Speaker 2: Are they going to lose out on a couple of these normal teams rivalry games?
Speaker 3: Michigan?
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope not, but that seems to be inevitable here. But if youre Notre Dame, you're still going to be in the playoffs. There's still a good draw for TV and that's why they're going to stay as an independent, not going to change By the way, looking at the latest lines for the games later on this week, Notre Dame one and a half point favored against Penn State. Ohio State is still a six point favorite against Texas. Ross Tucker will join us coming up more of your phone calls, best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 3: We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 3: Going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 3: I mean that says something.
Speaker 11: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 11: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm e two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kobe non Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: The Bengals are the only team to have the passing leader, the receiving leader, and the sack leader in the same seasons. This since nineteen eighty two when they started keeping sacks as his stat and then you don't make the playoffs, so Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase, Trey Hendrickson, passing, receiving, sack leader and nothing to show for it, and their defensive coordinator was just fired about fifteen minutes ago. Ross Tucker CBS Sports Westwood One and a host of the Ross Tunker Football podcast. He was on the call for the Texans and the Titans yesterday on CBS and he'll be working Steelers Ravens Saturday night and then Sunday's got the Packers in the Eagles. The man is always working. Let me start with the Titans here. Is there any chance now with the number one overall pick that they won't go quarterback in the draft?
Speaker 7: The only way I can see that, Dan is if they really like one of the other options, maybe that's Sam Darnold, and they want to pay for them. I think that's tough though. That would surprise me.
Speaker 3: You know, another year.
Speaker 7: Was that Levis?
Speaker 3: Yeah, would they give him another year?
Speaker 7: No? No, I don't think so. Okay, that would I mean they sat him down at two different times this year. He started the year, then they sat him down, he had an injury whatever for a few weeks, came back, had a couple of pretty good games, but then reverted back with the turnovers that I don't think that they will do that. I mean, if they did that, if Levis came back, there would be a veteran of some significant, some consequence on the with him, like a Sam Darnold, like someone that you could sell to the fan base as a legitimate starter. I just think when you get that number one overall pick, and we showed it five times during the broadcast, yesterday. You know how bad teams the people put the bags on their head, Dan one guy had a bag on his head, but on the front of the bag was a picture of Shador Sanders. That was what was on the front of the bag. So I think you get the number one pick. I think people want you to take a quarterback, whether that's cam Ward or Shador Sanders or whoever. That doesn't mean they're going to I think it's really hard not to because the fans get so excited about being able to have your pick number one guy, despite the fact that people are not in love with this quarterback class.
Speaker 2: If you're Dion, do you want will you let your son go to an organization like the Titans.
Speaker 7: It's a really good question too. You know, they had a pretty good track record and history of winning for a long time. You know, when I was playing, they were always good. Even Vrabel had them going for a couple of years. They've been down there, like, I think it's three straight years with at least ten losses. I don't know. I guess the way I look at something like that is what's his other alternatives that are so much better? The Raiders, the Giants? I mean, I guess the answer is yes. I don't. You know, maybe the Raiders and Giants have bigger fan bases, or you know, better tradition over a long stretch, or whatever branding, whatever you want to look at, But if you look at the way they've been run lately, I don't think they're any better than the Titans.
Speaker 2: Well I was wondering Carolina or the Titans better organization moving forward?
Speaker 7: Well, I guess I would say Carolina right now because of the way Bryce Young played the second half of the year. I mean, it looks like they have their quarterback, which is just fascinating. I mean, he was bad bad as a rookie. He wasn't just bad, he was bad bad, and then even earlier this year he was still not good. I mean they went to Andy Dalton for a reason. There's a lesson there. I think that maybe we need to have a little bit more patience with these guys, Maybe we need to give them more opportunities. I mean, just think about Dan Baker Mayfield or Sam Donald. Both of those guys are on their fourth team and they both are definitely top fifteen, arguably top ten starting quarterbacks in the NFL. They both had tremendous, tremendous years with their fourth NFL teams after being top five picks. So would that have happened to Baker State in Cleveland or Donald's day with the Jets. We don't think so. Probably not, but it still should tell us something, inform us something about maybe being more patient, Maybe you should give these guys a third and fourth.
Speaker 2: Chance fill in the blank. Next season, Aaron Rodgers will be.
Speaker 7: Starting at quarterback for a disappointing team. I think that would be the way I would describe it. I don't think anybody wants him to be their quarterback. You know, you go down the list. I think they'd rather have Darnald In free agency, I think some of them would rather draft the young guy. I think Aaron Rodgers almost becomes like playing C at this point. And so a franchise that strikes out in free agency and or doesn't have a chance in the draft to get the kind of quarterback they really want, there will be a a desperate times call for desperate measures franchise out there that will bring in Aaron Rodgers because they know they have to win this year. I mean, it's funny. I don't think they'll do this, But the first team that came in my mind there is the Giants, right like Joe Shane and Brian da Ball have to win this year. I'm a little surprised they're both coming back. I thought Dabell would, I didn't think Shane would. But they have to win this year. I don't think that the Merra family would want them to bring in Aaron Rodgers. But if you gotta win, where else are they going to get a quarterback?
Speaker 3: He can keep his house, have to move.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Ross Tuckers, CBS Sports, Westwood One. He'll be working the sideline Steelers Ravens at Saturday night and then in the booth for the Packers and the Eagles on Sunday. This game for the Steelers, how important is this?
Speaker 3: Now? I know Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 2: They never have whispers or rumors that he could be fired or they move on from him. But if they're one and done again in the postseason, and this is a Hall of Fame coach, but when the last time they won a playoff game twenty seventeen and Russell Wilson's future, what hinges on this outcome this weekend?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's gigantic. I think it could impact both guys, certainly Russell Wilson more than Mike Tomlin. And I'll say this too, if Zay Flowers can't play for the Ravens, that is significant. I think it sounds weird to say this, Dan, the Steelers at least to need to make it competitive. I mean, they were non competitive three games in a row there during that stretch where they had to play the Ravens, the Eagles, the Chiefs, it was clear that they were nowhere near that level of those teams. I don't think they need to necessarily beat the Ravens, but it's got to be a classic Steelers Ravens game that comes down to the end. I'll say this too because in central Pennsylvania now, Dan like Hershey right, So there's a lot of Steelers fans here, and I talk with them in Pittsburgh too. There is no greater disconnect in the NFL than how people feel nationally about Mike Tomlin versus how Steelers fans feel about Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 3: A lot of.
Speaker 7: Steelers fans want him gone. They've won him gone for a while. They do not think he's nearly what the rest of us all seem to think he is. It's really fascinating because and you can say about a lot of fan bases not like this. I mean, it's like whole are opposites when you talk to Steelers fans about Mike Tomlin versus any other person about Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the national conversation and analysts are very careful what they say about Mike Tomlin Nationally. You know, it's always great respect. You know, he wins, they always have winning records, They make the all of these things. But if you're a Pittsburgh fan and you have another one and done, as much as you may love his demeanor and his approach and tough guy, and he won a super Bowl, and you know they don't fire, I mean, after a while, you know I got to start. I have to at least question that you know that.
Speaker 7: Well, look, the streak of winning records is impressive and the two things that he gets a lot of credit for, and rightfully so, we love hearing him talk. We just all like, we just love his quotes. We love hearing him talk. And he's won a lot of games with quarterbacks that are not elite, not even close to elite, but even think about like the playoffs. Right, you go right down the line, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, even Cett Russell Wilson is not in that category that they have not had a guy in that category to go toe to toe with, even a Justin Herbert obviously Joe Burrow. They don't have that guy and they haven't since been with it was healthy and in his prime.
Speaker 3: What are the Patriots doing.
Speaker 7: That's a little bit of a head scratcher to me on multiple levels, right, because think about the conviction you have to have in a guy to name him the successor put that in his contract to put him out there for a year. And it's funny because most fan bases dan when you say bad things about their team, they don't like it. But when I did the NFL Network game last week when they played the Chargers, I said the truth, which is they probably have the worst roster in the NFL. They probably have the worst O line, probably the worst receiving corps. And even if you want a nitpick, they're at least in the conversation there. So when you start with that, I'm a little surprised that Mayo would only get one year. I actually would probably have made a change with the guys making the personnel decisions before I would Mayo. And here's the thing that's really they need to be very careful of. Right, Drake May looks really good and made a lot of progress that year under Alex Van Pelt, their offensive coordinator, despite the fact that they might have the worst O line in the worst receiving corps. Yeah, so now you might be stunning his progress. You know, it'll be interesting to see who they hire who is calling the offense, because I really think they're at a point right now where everything decision you make should be what's best for Drake May because he is the franchise. I'm not sure moving on from Van Pelt, moving on from the coaching staff is what will end up being best for Drake May, but it looks like it's what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Can the Lions replicate what they did defensively last night against Minnesota when they get to the postseason?
Speaker 7: Man, I hope. So that was awesome. I am so happy for them and their fans. You know, with all these injuries, I probably said to you a couple times over the last couple of months, and I thought It's just too much for them to overcome. And I think if they had lost last night, it would be right. Three road playoff games, I don't see that happening. But now now they only need to win two home home playoff games. That is different. Getting Anzeloni back was gigantic. They have excellent safeties Kirby, Joseph and Branch who they now moved to Nickel. Aaron Glenn called an incredible game, and they have a legitimate chance now to get to the first Super Bowl in franchise history with the way they played on defense last night. No wonder Aaron Glenn is getting all these head coaching interviews. That was masterful last night.
Speaker 2: How was it locally the reaction with Saquon Barkley not playing in this regular season finale with a chance to become the all time single season rushing leader, Well.
Speaker 7: This will probably surprise you then that this would be the case in the city of Philadelphia. But it was.
Speaker 12: Very polarizing, very polarizing, right, I mean they talked about it on the local radio all week, and you know, the interesting thing was the quotes from some of the guys.
Speaker 7: You know, even if you felt one way or the other, when Saquon said, you know, my dad was the most upset because it would have meant a lot for us to have our name in the record books forever, you know, when you heard them talk a little bit, but then he kind of backed off of that a little bit. The problem is, you know, and I realized the other guys would love to be a part of the record too, but you're not gonna put them out there with the second string offensive line, And so then you gotta have Lane Johnson at like thirty four to thirty five. You got to have those guys out there, and I think Sirianni made the right decision. The only way you really look dumb. And I love history, and I love Saquon and all that stuff, but the only way you really look dumb is if you lose one of your best players in game that has no significance whatsoever. You're locked in as the number two seed, and then you don't have those guys when you're playing the Packers on Sunday, who are one of the better teams in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Good to catch up with you, Safe travels. Thanks for joining.
Speaker 7: Us, of course, Thank you, Dan appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Ross Tucker, host of the Ross Tucker Football Podcast, CBS Sports Westwood One, and he'll be there with the Steelers Ravens, and then he's got the Packers and the Eagles coming up. Barry and Santa fe is back.
Speaker 9: Hi Berry, Good morning fellows, Good morning chat bro Todd. I hope you had some celebration moushoe and sparerib for your Broncos. No I did. Yesterday's Jet game made me furious. The Sky waits eighteen weeks to wake up and have to have a decent game. We could add a decent season and for guys like Lewis Riddick and Mike Rabel are two good men to get caught up in that nonsense. Walk away.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Barry.
Speaker 2: It was just enough of a tease when you're watching Aaron Rodgers where you go, all right.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is what it was.
Speaker 2: Now if you look at Aaron Rodgers' numbers, if I just said here are the numbers, you don't know anything else about the Jets this season?
Speaker 7: What is he?
Speaker 2: Twenty seven touchdowns eleven interceptions? I think is that his numbers? You go, okay, twenty eight and eleven four thousand yards? You'd go, all right, yeah, what was their record. I think you'd be surprised he was five and twelve. I think he's gonna play next year. I do, and he might do it despite everybody.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, it's trying to figure out you know what goes through these guys' mind.
Speaker 7: Brady.
Speaker 3: If you said, hey, he's not going to broadcast.
Speaker 2: Anymore next year, I wouldn't be surprised, Hey, he wants to come back and play. I wouldn't be surprised. Like they're just certain guys who are wired that that's who they are. And Aaron Rodgers probably says, yeah, you know what, maybe I'll just do it again. It always feels the last two years it feels like he's doing us a favor when he plays, Like I don't know, I might be getting around to it, you know. Uh, look, I got a party to go. You know, I'm gonna stop in for a couple of quarters here and then I gotta go, Okay, all right, when we come back, we'll give you our best and worst of the weekend. But we're going to play Phil in the blank. That's where I'd give a statement and then you fill in the blank.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Remember when Hank Williams would say, you ready for some football? How about Notre Dame, Penn State Thursday, Ohio State, Texas Friday, Chargers, Texans, Steelers, Ravens Saturday, Broncos, Bills, Packers, Eagles, Commanders, Bucks Sunday, and then you have Monday, Vikings and the Rams. Let's go Wow, good stuff, good stuff, all right? Time to play fill in the blank. I'll read a statement and then you fill in the blank. Todd, I'll start with you. The Patriots weekend was.
Speaker 8: The Patriots weekend was Hellman's even though they won no mail and went from first to fourth pick in the draft.
Speaker 3: Hellmanskay seat no counter.
Speaker 2: Patriots weekend was blank, goofy.
Speaker 3: Marvin puzzling Paul self defeating.
Speaker 2: The Patriots weekend was sad. The Buccaneers in the playof I'm sorry, Blank, Todd.
Speaker 8: The Buccaneers in the playoffs are temporary. They may be a quick out because Jim Daniels and the Commander's temporary.
Speaker 3: Okay, temporary, maybe want and done? Okay, just a temporary situation, all right, see baking up something special for the man.
Speaker 4: They may field questions after their win from the press.
Speaker 2: One of these days, you're gonna take this serious. I'm just trying to do what Todd just did, all right, Marvin.
Speaker 7: Typical. They've been there last five years.
Speaker 13: Paulie must avoid You don't want to face him.
Speaker 2: The Buccaneers in the playoffs are tantalizing channelizing. The Lions running back Jamiir Gibbs is blank Todd like the Lion and the Wizard.
Speaker 8: Of Oz, courageous, like the way that guy runs, goes after.
Speaker 3: Defense as tough as hell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he got crushed, He got absolutely crushed.
Speaker 3: Yeah this weekend about right now, he was down a little bit, Like, let me get back up.
Speaker 5: Marvin, jack of all trades, rushing, receiving, blocking, he does it.
Speaker 13: All, paul Jamir Gibbs is transfixing.
Speaker 2: The Lions running back. Jamir Gibbs is fulky and oh Marshall fulk.
Speaker 3: Good for you. Yes, millennial fault in Aaron Rodgers' future is blankton.
Speaker 8: I wonder if anyone cares.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 3: The ayahuasca all right, still still sticking to that seaton written in the Stars. Okay, Marvin Farvish m hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but far left the Jets and took the Vikings to the NFC title game.
Speaker 5: I just mean a great career somewhere and then just becomes like a journeyman of some sorts.
Speaker 2: Paul in Vegas mm hmm. Yeah, Aaron Rodgers' future is Elvis like the Steelers in sequined in Vegas. In Vegas, the Steelers offense is blank, Todd, rusty, that's going.
Speaker 3: On there, Satan.
Speaker 4: Fieldsing questions about their future.
Speaker 2: Marvin slim pickings, okay, George, uh PAULI.
Speaker 13: The Steelers offense is occasional.
Speaker 2: The Steelers offense is a rumor, uh Todd. Final one. The Titans having the number one pick in the draft. Who's blank?
Speaker 13: Patriotic?
Speaker 8: Is the Patriots had the number one pick, another dropped to four. The Titans number one pick is patriotic, Satan.
Speaker 5: Useless, Marvin necessary, Paul temporary.
Speaker 2: The Titans having the number one overall pick in the draft is.
Speaker 3: A shader thing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, nice one, take that one, Todd.
Speaker 7: I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, how about best and worst of the weekend, Todd. I'm gonna start with you. Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 13: My best of the weekend.
Speaker 8: Shockingly, even though they sat several of their top players, the Broncos dominant went over the Chiefs at Mile High, grabbing the seventh seed, their first post sering so season appearance in nine years. For the worst that went NBA, Anthony Edwards scores a career high fifty three points, including ten three points in Detroit Saturday night. They still lose by fourteen one nineteen one oh five.
Speaker 7: What a waste Seaton.
Speaker 4: My best of the weekend, It's easily that one of the best interceptions you're ever going to see in your entire life Raven's defensive lineman Michael Pierce. Yeah, dude's like six feet foot tall, three hundred and fifty five pounds, had to drop back in coverage. Nobody looked more like a fish out of more than that. Dude ends the ball. He's got great hands, caught the ball and he immediately went down, but it was hilarious. Watching his teammates reaction too, was really spectacular. My worst of the weekend is the Patriots, not because they won that game. I'm actually happy that they won that game. I hate tanking. It's the worst part of sports.
Speaker 9: For me.
Speaker 4: But how do you push out a legend and the architect of one of the greatest runs in sports history for a guy that you're then just gonna fire after one season?
Speaker 3: Marvin Best and worst of the weekend, My best of the weekend.
Speaker 5: I have two best actually, Lamar Jackson, Bryce Young, no look touchdown passes. Love that very Steph Curry esca them my are the best. The Chicago Bulls announcing that they're gonna retire Derrick Rose's jersey up in the rafters.
Speaker 7: Well deserved.
Speaker 5: He's a one seed for me as of what could have been?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, he was emotional with that. I didn't want to see a statue like we sometimes get a little statue heavy. Everybody doesn't deserve a statue. Yeah, it was nice what could have been? And they retire his jersey. Paul Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 6: Best of the weekend, Bryce Young watching him play football and having fun and doing it well like he did in college. It looks like his future is bright again. Nobody wants to see a bust. The other best I like the Buccaneers and the team and the coach and the quarterback. Giving Mike Evans a five yard pass at the end to get a three million dollar bonus and keeping his streak alive of one thousand yard seasons.
Speaker 3: Very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's tied with Jerry Rice now most consecutive one thousand yard receiving seasons his eleventh, and that's one of those that goes a long way for goodwill. Now ownership may be like, all right, maybe we get out from paying three million dollars. Mike Evans is a Hall of Famer and he's probably been a bargain for you.
Speaker 3: I'm glad he got it, yes, se I think Sean.
Speaker 4: Payton too did something similar where they used to cooked up a play to get somebody like a five hundred thousand dollars bonus or something. I forget who the receiver was Sudden maybe it was Sudden, but he was just like, we need to this to he needs one more catch for like five hundred grand, and you could see them working it out on the sideline.
Speaker 3: Let's go do this or whatever.
Speaker 4: And then the flip side of that, Jerry Jones, he cost Cooper Rush two hundred and fifty thousand dollars by not playing him that day. Man, if you're looking at what franchises to play for and what ones to not. I start right there with those kinds of things.
Speaker 2: Well, no, Jerry does overspend when it comes to contracts. Maybe it slipped his mind. If I knew that Cooper Rush was, you know, he had the ability if he played all the Stamps yesterday that he'd get a five hundred thousand dollars bonus. So if I knew it, I would assume that the owner would know that. Also, the New Orleans Saints knew that Mike Evans needed five yards, and I think that they allowed that to happen. I don't think they were contesting it because I think everybody knew when Baker wasn't taking a knee that they were going to throw the ball to Mike Evans. It was pretty good, It was pretty cool. Those bonuses make me nervous, though, you know, get towards the end of the year, guy can be in the huddle like, dude, you got to get me the ball, man. I like how Micah Parsons had two and a half second, like he took care of his bonus, Like felt like it was right away. He just blew through the offensive line. Yes, PAULI a.
Speaker 6: Couple of years ago, there's that NFL Films video of Gronkowski saying he needs one more catch for a million dollars and Brady goes, what's that? And he overheard it, and he goes next play, next play, and they did it for Grek.
Speaker 3: Final Hour on the way.
Speaker 2: We'll check in with the Patriots, what are they doing, who's coming in and if so, wasn't that guy available last year?
Speaker 3: Final Hour in this Monday, right after this