Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 4: Done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up. An SVU podcast.
Speaker 1: I am Lisa and I am Kara, And you know what this podcast is hopefully or maybe I don't know, maybe this episode's your first one you just decided to dive in in the one nineties, we talk about an episode of Law and Order SVU, we talk about the true crime is based on, and sometimes we talk to a guest. And first off, I wanted to share some exciting news with you guys today that Lisa and I are going to be back out on the road soon.
Speaker 3: Bear.
Speaker 1: We're doing a little spooky season tour this October. So if you live in Denver, Phoenix, San Diego, La San Francisco, or Portland, get your shit together and come see us. We do great live shows. They're really fun that switch it up.
Speaker 2: If you went last time, if you've seen us, We're gonna try to switch it up.
Speaker 1: We're gonna switch it up. We never do the same episode in the same city. We don't believe Para has a spreadsheet. You don't think the has cross references, Like I have a spreadsheet, baby, it is insane. Yeah, we're gonna come up with like fun new games, like I'm excited, and yes, it was.
Speaker 2: My longest stretch outside of the pandemic that I haven't been on the road and it's you know, I'm really loving it. But I also can't wait for our spooky season adventures. Yeah, yeah, I'm excited. It's so great to meet all you guys. We'll have some fun tour exclusive merch that we usually sell and yeah, I mean we're pumped. So go to thats messed uplive dot com that that will have links to all the individual venues andickets and stuff. But yeah, come see us live or the sad truth is we won't be able to come to your city again.
Speaker 1: If people don't come, we can't come. That's just the way it goes up. Top though, on this podcast, you know we love to chat, Lisa, take it away?
Speaker 3: What are we talking about?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Well did you see who the crowned winner of Drag Race All Stars?
Speaker 1: I did, And I actually just confess this to my friends. I'm gonna confess it to you right now.
Speaker 2: Actually obviously there's a spoiler spoiler or not because we're in the time, Michie and so go fuck yourself.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I don't know, I'm amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're listening to this episode, they crown the winner like three weeks ago, but you know, do fast forward a few minutes so that you don't hear us talking about it. But I clicked on a link to find out who won. I was so far behind. I just was like, I'm not gonna be able to avoid who won, so I'm just gonna find out.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Weird, it's all weird.
Speaker 2: I mean I love Angeria, like for sure, but it was a weird decision because I know Plas doesn't learn the words, but above him be she's incredible. Plus Stice not even being in the top three and she does dance, she's I just feel like it's crazy to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will, okay, so id of anything. If it was the top three, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: If it was Angeria, who was it Roxy and Vangie. I feel like it should have been Fangy that clamshell outfit. Like I liked what Vangie was bringing. She was great in the Ruscle, Like, I just don't understand giving it to this young girl queen.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I had friends that said they thought Roxy was gonna win, which I would have loved, which I would have thought. Roxy is legendary and like she's always been great, like they've you know, I just thought, maybe, yeah, let's give it to somebody who's like a little bit more quote unquote old school, from like an older season. You know, she's from season five. Originally it was already.
Speaker 2: It was so funny at the end, like Nina West was disappointed and it's like in what world were like, you've had too this whole time, Like you're not.
Speaker 1: Going wait tell me this little bit of a spoiler. Does Chanelle ever get a badge?
Speaker 3: Yes? She gets three badges? Wow.
Speaker 2: Her and George just do a really cool thing where they both win a benefactress badge and then part of that win includes giving another one to someone else, and they just gave it to each other.
Speaker 3: Oh, so that got her to two.
Speaker 2: And then she won one, so another one or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's how it is great.
Speaker 1: I was like worried for some reason that Chanel wasn't gonna get one, but I am going to catch up obviously. It's just like I wasn't going to avoid spoilers for all these weeks, so I just clicked and I was like, oh, that's weird. I didn't think that's who was going to win. But okay, I never really know what the reasoning or the politics is behind to some of this stuff.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I like her a lot, so I feel weird even being like justs dissecting. She did have six badges at the end of the day, shine where badges and everyone else, So yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess that's that she should have won. She had the most amount of badges. That's who I like that. Yeah, I take it all back. I just had favorites throughout and so that's just where it's coming from.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, sure, I also yeah, but I don't know what to say about these no go home seasons.
Speaker 3: They just don't have the same stakes for me.
Speaker 2: I just can't well, even if they don't go home, but there's a check at the end, and they are competitive people, so I know they care about being champions, but I just feel like even a pro like for it to also be charity and no one goes home and no one writes money.
Speaker 3: It's just well, I think it was the pit Stop.
Speaker 2: So you know, Tricksy's on a break famously and so the pit Stop was fucking Bob and or was it just the podcast?
Speaker 3: Was it Bob? I mean I I just listened to that this morning, Bob and Katya. I'm watching too much content.
Speaker 2: Everything is okay, pit Stop All Stars nine, Okay, yes it was. I was correct. I'm not losing my mind. It was Bob and Katya. So I was in heaven. So Bob and Katya for the they were like, oh god, plus to cover your face.
Speaker 3: She has not won one dollar for her charity.
Speaker 2: Like there was one mini challenge where she I think was able to win twenty five hundred. They have like fun games in the workroom, but like truly she gets a benefactress badge, but it's not one. Ellipse has not won a lipsy she's so bad at lip syncing, but she's not she just doesn't know the words. But I think the dancing I thought one she should have won. I mean the professional drag queens. I tried to I what is it? I give it up to them for their opinion, like they know more than me. So then you defer to them. I defer to them, and they keep being like she didn't know the words, and like I didn't even notice.
Speaker 3: She's a god, Like I didn't even She's just so great to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did not win, not one dollar, and they were like just saying how she should cover her face and how embarrassing it is for her charity.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, like if they did something where it was like, oh, you get two undergrand and so does your charity or something, you know what I mean, like you split. So it's like there's more stakes in it. They're actually going against each other for we know how much money they're spending on their wardrobe. So it wouldn't be nice for the Ulsters.
Speaker 2: They gave them budgets or something because to them, they are canceling their calendars. These are very popular queens, Like, so you do have to compensate that. So what is that amount of money for someone that's spending half that just to go there?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I don't know what I'm talking about, But I love watching Draft.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like the show.
Speaker 1: No, me too, me too, I'm gonna keep watching. It's just like I didn't have the urgency to stay on top of it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I don't know what my opinions are and what the internet tells me from the pitstop and fashion photo review, But when they sing for their life to stay in the competition, it is just more fear like aha as the volcano, like doing I need a hero like for her life. Like it's just more engaging, you know, than just an incredible performance.
Speaker 3: They are really putting it out there.
Speaker 1: Well, my friend told me that Canada versus the world is a fun ride right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's all I gotta jump into that. I got it, so we could jump into that.
Speaker 1: Well to move on to another show that our listeners, many of our listeners say, we don't really know what shows you're talking about up top, Well, here we go. Last night there was an episode of Jersey that was supposed to have like a big bombshell.
Speaker 3: Did watched it today?
Speaker 1: I was brave, dumb, and it's like, there's just no bombshell. And I've been like today I've been kind of scouring the internet for content like is there a bombshell?
Speaker 3: Like is this a thing?
Speaker 1: Basically, Teresa Judize thinks that her scam artist husband he's like, that lawyer ruined that lawyer.
Speaker 2: That lawyer look goofy as fun. That is not a lawyer you want in the courtroom. I'm sorry, that is a grease ball.
Speaker 1: I will if you don't watch the show, I will explain to you an iconic thing that happens. So Teresa thinks that her friend, her ex friend, Margaret, who by the way, two years ago, was at her wedding with her mother, like bruh, came to the wedding two years ago. And she's like, no, this evil woman just is all about ruining my life.
Speaker 3: I Marge is like one of my all time favorites. So I just can't believe it.
Speaker 1: And she she's like, she's talking to my husband's ex wife. It's putting out all these rumors. Okay, whatever, whatever. Who knows if any of that's true. I don't think it is, but whatever. She doesn't have any proof. She calls her lawyer to her house and gets all the friends to come so that she can point out to them how Margaret is the evil devil and has this huge bombshell. She's say, it's gonna make you a headspin. Nothing is revealed. It's basically revealed that she's had a conversation with his ex wife or ex girlfriend, like it doesn't matter, Like it really isn't pot.
Speaker 2: She's doing her job, she's getting dirt, Like, I don't what do you want?
Speaker 3: This is so boring. This is so boring.
Speaker 1: It's so all the housewives are like their faces are like what, like there's nothing.
Speaker 3: It's like a nothing burger.
Speaker 1: So then they go to they in the middle of this big shit talk fest that's supposed to be this huge bomb, the doorbell rings and a funeral style like wreath of flowers is delivered and it's addressed to Teresa and her lawyer and it says, so sorry for the loss of your dignity. Love love, love Marge. And I just thought it was iconic. I thought it was amazing. It was like a great housewife move. It was great television. Teresa goes refuse, get it off my property, like she wouldn't take the flowers, of course into her home. But it was you got got That was really fun. It was so good. It was really fun.
Speaker 2: But we're not in a grade and I'm rewatching the OC like, you know, I don't know if I'm gonna be able to get through it. Like I'm on season eight of The Rewatch and it's the current season's eighteen. I don't think I could do ten more seasons, Like I truly these I don't like viag I didn't know how much I hated Vicky, like I knew I didn't like her, But now it's like, oh, you're vile Tamras.
Speaker 3: They're vile liar like.
Speaker 1: Like that's why when they were like giving like Vivy Vicky, like the housewipe of like the Generation Award, I was like, you're Ali.
Speaker 2: She's like gross, you were on that and I told you to shut up and that I did tear up.
Speaker 3: I remember that. I remember that moment. But that's part of what they do.
Speaker 1: They get everything comes in waves, like I don't know the girls on Bitches. She used to always be like we are huge flip floppers. Like one season they hate one, the next season they're the greatest thing that's ever happened, Like that's what it's designed for, you know.
Speaker 2: But it's like Brooks pretending to have cancer and it's like so clear that he doesn't have cancer.
Speaker 3: Watching it. He's at a party, is being like I'm good. I'm good.
Speaker 2: It's like, I, yeah, it's a really intense thing for most people that I feel have it, even if they are at a party.
Speaker 3: Right, Like, parties aren't illegal, but you're not brook sing it up.
Speaker 2: But I also there was your son had a little too much partying, and I would love you for you to talk about that.
Speaker 3: You posted a story. Oh my god. Okay, so everybody get ready.
Speaker 1: I'm still in my potty learning journey with my son Oscar. He is doing amazing at home. At home, he tells us, I gotta go pee. He shuts the door, goes in and does it by himself. He pees, the number two is it's going. It's like do at home, mostly successful, but I can't say there's not an accident here and there. At school, the peeing is good. The number two is always in the pants, always in the pants. In another location, he just doesn't get it, like, oh wait, there's a bathroom here, even though he goes pe in it every day. So I took him to my friend's house for a platedate. It was Rosy's friend. They know him like he's there or whatever. So at one point he has like some kind of little thing in his underwear, and so I'm like, all right, well, I'm just gonna take your underwear off and put it in his zip block and save it to the rest. So all this to say, he's free bawling in these little shorts he's got on. Okay, he comes up to me and the mom while we're having a glass of wine and goes, I pooped in the hall And I look around and I see what can only be described as the largest herd I've ever seen come out of a child's body in my entire life. Like it was, it would have been shocking coming out of an adult. It's just sitting in the hallway. But luckily, I mean, they had just had their house cleaned, like they had just their housekeeper had just been there. And I was like, I am she is such a cool mom that I knew. Like it was not that like I wasn't super super mortified, but I was pretty mortified. And it was luckily a compact situation that I could just pick up and with a wipe and put in the toilet. But wow, then he immediately got into a unicorn costume with a crown and was taking cute little pictures looking like a little angel. But yeah, crap, throughd on the floor at my friend's very cool house. This is my worst I know we have a lot of parents that listen, and I know some of you feel me because it's truly just the worst part of parenting for me. I literally cannot stand potty training. Rosie did it in three seconds. I have not been blessed this time around with that kind of response time.
Speaker 3: And we're working on it. We're getting there, but it's tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, I asked you for this story, and I'm like stunned out, I know.
Speaker 1: And now you're like your face is like I don't like this story.
Speaker 3: Hey, I hate it.
Speaker 1: But then okay, So then I posted a picture of him on his and Rosie's private Instagram, which only people I know follow are are allowed to follow, and I just wrote like it was a story that just said, like, you know, something like that feeling when you just did a poop on the floor at a play date, but I use the poop emoji whatever, And I was like nervous after I posted it, like, am I bad for doing this? But it really is a private account only like a couple few people are seeing it, so maybe it's not that big of a deal. But I sent to a couple moms and they were like, no, it's funny.
Speaker 3: Who cares. I was like, great, it's like those dogs SHAMINGO.
Speaker 1: Don't people get really upset about those what like those dog shaming accounts where it's like, look what I just did, and it's like a picture of the dog with like a like they just ripped apart a or done something horrible or you know, like gotten into the dog food and then barfed everywhere or whatever. I thought like I was dog shaming, but with a child who can eventually grow up, and well, he's not gonna go into my archives. He's never gonna see it. I am like so into my Explorer page right now. It's truly just cute animal stuff and the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm in the heavy.
Speaker 1: All I did was follow like NBC Olympics account and my whole Explorer pages Olympics and I'm loving it. I am watching bad minton rallies, I am watching Simon, I am watching so many like the the tandem diving.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, I've been following Alona mar and she the rugby girl, right yeah, She's been in my Explorer a lot.
Speaker 3: Too, probably because you follow her.
Speaker 2: She's great. She's great. I went on a deep dive where I was like, this is psychotic. She probably, I mean, it's just so many followers. Probably not, but the notification would be glitter. She's liked this photo and one hundred and forty others like that is how it went.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 2: I went down to the beginning of her insta just like every little fun video and she's been doing it a while and they're also funny. It's just cool when someone just I mean, that's what's great about the Internet. Some people just they know what's her.
Speaker 1: I've seen them, but I haven't really been paying attention, like what's her vibe, what's she doing?
Speaker 3: She's like funny and a rugby player.
Speaker 1: Okay, she's okay, And so her videos are just kind of like funny musings or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's a lot about like dating and her other girls, and I don't know, she's been eating a lot of bread and cheese. Listen, she's taken the nation by storm and the world a million followers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I started following another million follower follower person. I just started following Drew A. Fwallow from Caleb's podcast. I think right, yeah, yeah, And I just think I heard her on the Tricksy podcast and was like, oh, you're funny, like, so I just started following her.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so what are you gonna do? She hits it up in my explore page.
Speaker 3: Listen. Yeah. Phones have been amazing. I've oh I had a Phones have been very important for us in this time of the Olympics.
Speaker 2: I have had a delicious case idia. I am late night. I didn't know this even existed near my house, and to know I'm so happy, Oh amazing, So.
Speaker 3: To like, I went home. I walked home at like two in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's dangerous, and I found a Casidia and I was so happy. And the other people eating it truly looked like the end of an action movie where they're like so tired, because they just did like a big heist or like hijinks just happened. Like they were all like hot tired, but not that tired, and they did look like a tinge of criminality with fun piercings. I don't know, like a party was like they just oceaned eleven and they're having like.
Speaker 3: Another grabbing a case of d That love how I felt about them. I mean or you know, they're not who knows.
Speaker 1: It is kind of amazing how simple a casadia is. It's like a tortilla and she's I got anything. I got so much, Okay, but it's so much better out than you could ever make it at home. I made one for myself this past weekend and was like, this is just not the same thing as getting it either.
Speaker 2: They're not going to put the amount of cheese and grease it takes.
Speaker 3: To make it good. Yeah I did, but I like I did.
Speaker 1: I used butter for the outside. But yeah, it's just never as good as like even a snack bar casadia at like a random freaking pool or something.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just better.
Speaker 1: Should we wrap up and get started with today's episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, As we said at the beginning, that's messed up live dot com. That's got links to all these tour dates that we just announced. It's got links to the link that says Liza's website takes you to her link tree with her live dates that she's doing coming up, and it also takes you to our merch and it takes you to our you know, if you're gonna come see us, we love when you wear our merch to our shows. And then uh, it's got our promo codes to guys shop our promo codes. Please, we'd love it. And with that, let's get going on one of Lisa's most hated episodes. Okay, today all Lisa is showing me the ax Lottle that she got from It's so Tony Island.
Speaker 3: Listen, a listener told me.
Speaker 1: Was like listen for one listener wrote me and said, you can't have axcel Lott's as pets anymore. But then another listener said, I have two ax Lottel's, but they're older, and she's worried about me spreading the about me getting an axce Lottle as a pet, and I go, ma'am, there's simply no chance that I'm getting an axce Lottle as a pet, so don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: But then she sent me photos of them to show Rosie.
Speaker 2: I have any ever received more messages than Oxalottle messages. And when I won the ox lot, people are like, Ohxlottle, like it was definitely a moment for.
Speaker 1: Me, truly, Like sloths can just go extinct now, like their day is over.
Speaker 3: Your day in the sun. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: No, my friend Marcia got one a sloth with a little orange vest on it.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying slots are very five years ago, like saxe loels are right now, all right, all right, they're the hot animal of the moment, all right, Okay.
Speaker 2: It is my least favorite episode. I did go to bed to it last night, and I actually didn't finish it because I passed out because I hate it. So it's gonna be really surprising when you tell me, wow, it ends. I remember some of it, but it's kind it's a silly one. Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself. It's not silly, it's different. You know. I hate the ones where it's like we're going to death. What's the other one? I hate the beauty one.
Speaker 3: Count Down.
Speaker 1: You don't like countdown episodes where it's like, oh, it's like almost that, like this guy's got ten hours before his lethal injection and we got to find out where the body is that he buried.
Speaker 3: You don't like those like kind of countdown episodes.
Speaker 2: I don't, And I hate this one because this guy's like I would honestly throw him in a cage and go surry up.
Speaker 3: Sir.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, This episode is called Shaharazad. It's from season eight, episode ten, airing on the second day of January in two thousand and seven. And we open at Stabler's favorite place in the world church, Okay, and I don't know what this is.
Speaker 3: I think it's a confirmation.
Speaker 1: Kids are picking different names, and oh my, I wrote in my notes, OMG, this might be the only line Elizabeth slash Lizzie Stabler ever has had.
Speaker 3: Like they go, what name have you chosen?
Speaker 1: She goes Claire, and then he goes peace be with you, and she goes and also with you.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've ever heard that kid speak another time.
Speaker 1: They literally gave all of Stabler's children got their own episodes. This one child, the girl twin, gets absolutely nothing. I know she's recast in oc and I think she's back a little bit more and speaks more. But as a child, we do not see Elizabeth Stabler speak very much. The whole Stabler family's in the pews. Elliott's absolutely beaming, like nothing makes him happier than the Lord. His children are, you know, getting their confirmation names. Dicky's up now, he chooses Michael for his confirmation. Maureen's like I thought he chose Peter. And Stabler looks at him like he's about to absolutely barf with happiness and goes, no, Saint Michael, the patron saint of cops, like he's so fucking pumped that his son has chosen the cop saint for him. Kathy goes, yeah, he's trying to please his dad, and then Kathleen, a fucking bitchy voice of reason, goes yeah, like that's gonna get you two back together.
Speaker 3: Uh oh.
Speaker 1: If you'll remember, this is season eight, so the Stabler marriage is unstable and that's what's happening. So afterwards they're all filing out and Stabler's kind of trying to play happy family. He's like, you guys want to go get burgers?
Speaker 3: What do you want to go to?
Speaker 1: P Andng And that is a cafe on the Upper West Side that closed ten years ago, and like it was the historic bar on the Upper West Side. But they live in Queen's so, like, where's the church were going into Manhattan for burgers?
Speaker 3: I'm confused about the geography anyway.
Speaker 1: Kathleen says, I'm a vegetarian and they have big plans to go to Grandma's.
Speaker 3: We don't want to hang out with you, Dad.
Speaker 1: Stabler's like next weekend, and Kathleen's like, okay, Boomer, we hate you. And she drags Marine away and Kathy's like it's still hard for them, and like then he's like, uh, I know, and he's trying to play it cool. Then a priest comes up to speak to Elliott. He needs a favor, and you know, that's like a celebrity for Elliott Stabler, so he's like, anything for you. He tells him about this man in hospice named jud Tierney. He has end stage lung cancer and he wants Stabler to go talk to him. And he's like about what, and he's like, I'm a priest, bitch, you know I can't tell you that. So Stabler goes, well, okay, cool, can I go Friday? And the priest is like this guy won't last that long, Like can you go sooner please?
Speaker 3: So in the next.
Speaker 1: Scene, Stabler is at the hospice meeting jud Tierney, who is played by Brian Denahe who is a legendary actor. He was a big Eugene O'Neill guy, like he did I remember him, like winning the Emmy for Death of a salesman when they did it as a TV movie, but I guess he was considered like one of the greatest interpreters of Eugene O'Neil like plays. He's also Chris Farley's dad and Tommy Boy huge for me, and he's in so many fucking movies. But the thing I remember him from the most, that I think of about him the second I see him is that he played John Wayne Gacy in a TV movie from nineteen ninety two called to Catch a Killer, which absolutely terrified me. Like I watched it when I was like eleven and was like, this clown is just murdering boys after he sexually assaults them and hiding them under his fucking porch, Like it was so horrifying. So whenever I see Brian Dunhee, I'm like Joe Wayne Gacy, It's like the first thing that comes to my mind. And I'd also didn't realize he's from Connecticut. He died in twenty twenty, so rest in peace to Brian Dunnhee.
Speaker 3: He was quite a legend.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Sabler walks in and this guy goes yeah, still, So.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I know him from, Like obviously a brother of name Brian Dennay.
Speaker 3: Well, like he's you know.
Speaker 2: But so I'm scrolling IMDb from the bottom up, being like, what do I know him from?
Speaker 3: And I don't know this, but there's a TV movie called Skokie. Click on it. What's it about? You know what? It's about? The Nazis marching? Oh?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I thought it was like, maybe just like a heartwarming movie about a suburb family drama.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: The nazis a dramatization of the controversial trial concerning the right for neo Nazis to march in the predominantly Jewish community of Skokey. There's a big it's based. It's honestly our future. It's the cover is an American flag and in the center of it is the Swastika.
Speaker 3: In a circle. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And it says, just how far can we go with freedom of speech?
Speaker 3: Skokey Skoky Wow? Wow? Carl Reiner is in it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, But I'm gonna keep scrolling as you talk to see where I actually know Brian danny Hey from though, Okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, well it famously in Tommy Boy. He's like Tommy Boys, I've never seen eyes. Oh my god, you've never seen Tommy Boy. I love tummy Boys so much. So Stabler walks in and Brian Tierney is like, I'm still here. Get me some more of that yummy jello if you're gonna be here, you know. Like he's in a power wheelchair. He's giving lots of sarcasm, and then Elliott says he's from the NYPD and Jud goes thirty years I've been waiting for this day. You almost missed me. And then he's coughing and we go to the credits. Okay, so they're kind of doing like a wheel and talk down the hall of the hospice home like Jud's like, oh, in my day, priests used to keep their mouth shut, and it's like, honey, they still do. Uh. And he asks if he needs a lawyer, and we sense like a profession.
Speaker 2: Guess what he was in ratituy. I did see that. I did see that when I was perusing his IMDb. He asks like, do I need a lawyer? And we do sense that there's like a confession of some sort on the horizon right and right, and he asks Stabler, what are you charging me with? And Stabler goes, you need me to tell you and Jud goes, you don't know, got me not bad flat foot so like Brian and he's really great, Like you can just tell when they bring an excellent actors onto the show, like he is really good in this and he's like, yeah, you don't fucking know what I have. You know, you're so I can literally dangle you for as long as I want because you actually don't know what I've done. Truly, besides Ratituey, I've never seen anything he's done.
Speaker 3: Svu and Ratituey. Wow. Maybe it was maybe he was.
Speaker 2: On the Simpson like they talked about him, because I'm like, the name is very Wait.
Speaker 1: Did you see on the Simpsons? Somebody sent us this? I don't know if you saw it. The girl, the woman who voices Bart, is related to Sabrina Carpenter.
Speaker 3: It's like her niece or something.
Speaker 1: They did a question and answer with Nancy Cartwright and she goes, is Sabrina Carpenter your niece? She goes, yeah, isn't that crazy, and like she talks about Sabrina.
Speaker 3: Carpenter for a minute.
Speaker 2: Wow, cool, fam Sabrina Carpenter. Her arena tour is sold out? Baby, Oh yeah, aunt, yes, so is Bart Simpson, which is like a hilarious sentence. Yeah, that's insane. Her aunt is the richest aunt there ever was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that almost makes me. That's like almost nipowie to me.
Speaker 1: That says nepowie as Emma Roberts being related to Julia Roberts, although Emma Roberts's father was also an actor, Eric Roberts, but not as famous as her.
Speaker 3: On I mean that is that's cool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now we've arrived back in Jud's room and he has a little mini fridge with beers in it. I guess at the end you can just do whatever. They just let you keep beers in your fridge at your hospice home. Oh okay, And Stabler explains SVU to him, like what you know, crimes against women and children and homicides. Judd goes, oh, sounds like father Dennis sent me the right guy. Stable's like, you can talk to me, and Judd goes, don't rush me. Stabler's like, I'm not rushing you, but I heard the devil is waiting on your ass.
Speaker 2: And then I know you're sick of me, but I'm an okay you again. Brian Denahey is mentioned on an episode of the Simpsons. So basically they're in the movies and it's it's jaws wired shut.
Speaker 3: It's when Homer gets his jaw wired shut.
Speaker 2: But anyways, so they're in the movies and there's like a movie star scramble happening and it's Mot Hanks or yeah, and so Lisa's like, obviously it's Tom Hanks, but then it's Autumn Shank and she goes, who and then a Pooh goes He's the Indians. He's India's answer to Brian Denahey, and so that's how I know Brian wow.
Speaker 1: And that's your reference. And to me, he's John Wayne Gacy. But he's also was a legendary stage actor with with with so many, so many credits, so I'm sure everybody has seen him in something, but for us it's weird stuff. So he's like, I'm not rushing you, but I heard the devil's waiting on your ass. And then jud says, I want to see my daughter. Why don't you bring her here? And they go does she know you're dying? And he's like, yeah, the doctors had to call her because she hung up on me. So the relationship is contentious. You can tell. Judd says, I got a lot to get off my chest. Bring her here and I'll tell you everything. And believe me, there's a lot to tell.
Speaker 3: So at the.
Speaker 1: Precinct they've checked this guy out. There's no priors under the name Johnson Tierney without fingerprints, though it could be an alias. He owns a home in Regal Park. He opened a locksmiths shop in nineteen seventy one worked there every day until he got sick a year ago. He's got no debt, eighteen thousand dollars in his checking account and a small IRA, no red flags. He's never been a suspect or a person of interest in an investigation like Clean, Clean Clean. The daughter is Sheila Tierney Dumont, teacher, married with two kids. She's on eighty third Street. Liv wants to tag along and Stabler's like, you think he molested her, and she's like, well, that priest picked you for a reason. So the next scene where at Sheila's home, which is, you know, based on the address in the middle of the Hudson River, and he immediately we immediately hear her saying, my life is none of your business. And look who it is. It's our friend of the pod Paget Brewster, we love her. She is in a large home with stairs, and my sister's a teacher in New York City and she simply doesn't live in a brownstone. So I'm really interested in what this woman's husband does or because you know they have a teacher, does not have a home with stairs, I would say, in New York City. And she's like, fuck that guy, come back when he's dead and I'll pop the champagne. Stabler, the patrons saying of bad dads, is like, I think he's just trying to, you know, clear his conscience, and she says, I haven't spoken to my dad since nineteen eighty nine, when I was eighteen, after my mom died. They're like, does he even know about his granddaughters? And she's like, yeah, you went to their school and introduced himself on the playground and I did not like that. Benson cuts to the chase did he abuse you? And she's like, I Am not going to have that conversation and wants them to leave. Stabler leaves a card and tells her that her daughters are beautiful. She stops them and goes, hold on, there's a box in the basement and okay, she also has a basement, so it's a big house, and she wants them to take the box to him as a bombvage present so she is not shedding any tears over her dad being in his final.
Speaker 3: Days of life.
Speaker 1: In the basement, they find the box and it's filled with hundreds of cards that he sent her over the years.
Speaker 3: They're unopened.
Speaker 1: They all say please forgive me and have one hundred dollars in them cash. She doesn't want the money. She's like, give it to charity. There's something's money can't buy. And like, Olivia goes like forgiveness and she's like, give it up. I'm not going to talk about it. And they're like, why did you save these? She goes, I was saving them for this exact occasion. I wanted him to know that I never read a single one, which is like, wow, that is hatred. You know. Outside, Benson and Stabler are chatting. She thinks that our dad molested her. Stabler's like, I'm not getting the purv vibe from him, and I'm like, lol, he literally played John Wayne Gacy like this man like played one of the worst job molester and murderers of all time, and liv asks like, why is this guy under your skin? And Elliott's like, he's not, he's not, but you know you can tell it's all related to fatherhood and what's going on with his family and his kids. The cards give them Prince and saliva, so they'll get DNA soon enough on this guy and see like what's in the system. Lives like, let's drop the cards at the lab and grab dinner, and Elliott suggests, how about the cafeteria at Haven House, which is the hospice where Tierney lives live. Looks pissed, she wanted a nice meal, and Elliot's like, I want you to meet Tierney.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So when they get there and Elliott calls Olivia in, she sort of steps into the doorway and she's backlit and Judson Tierney is like kind of on morphine, and he thinks that it's Sheila.
Speaker 3: He thinks it's his daughter, and he's like.
Speaker 1: Sheila, honey, and then he realizes that Sheila wouldn't come, and he's like, oh no, she's a tough kid. Death isn't going to soften her up. And he's coughing. He's got like pressing the button for this morphine drip that he's on. They're like, how does Sheila look? And Sin's like, she's beautiful. So are your two granddaughters. He goes Ashley and lindsay, god knows where she dug up those names, yes, extremely rare, weird names for late eighties and nineties. So he remembers one of them has a birthday coming up. He's like, I gotta send her a card, and like live shoots a look over at Elliott, like, well, they're not going to.
Speaker 3: Get the cards.
Speaker 1: Benson asks what did you do to Sheila? And he goes, I heard her and then he says, I'm sorry, baby, and then he just falls asleep. So the morphine has him kind of drifting in and out of consciousness. Sometimes, Stabler's beeper goes off that the lab has completed the fastest analysis in history because they literally just came from her house and they've already run the Prince. Benson offers to stay in case. Tierney wakes up at the lab. O'haler and is like, we got great DNA samples, but he's not the system. It's like, obviously the DNA would be from like you know, like I don't know he's an older guy. DNA only started like twenty years before this episode. But then he also left perfect prints on the card, and those are in the system under Jake Tierney.
Speaker 3: Those popped.
Speaker 1: He was arrested for burglary and Peoria in nineteen fifty six, Saint Paul in fifty seven, El Passo in fifty eight. So this guy never did more than six months in jail, and then he's been clean for fifty years.
Speaker 3: So what's going on? And they're like, well, check out the money.
Speaker 1: The bills in all the cards are from nineteen fifty eight, nineteen sixty two, nineteen sixty nine. Nothing is newer than nineteen seventy. So he must have a stash of these bills because they wouldn't still be in circulation after all this time. So O'Halloran ran them through the currency watch list. I didn't know that existed, and he got a hit. Elliott calls live before o'haleran is even done with his findings and she's like, yeah, Tierney's just waking up. So back at the home, Olivia is not babying Tierney. She's like, you abuse Sheila, right, And he's like, I've done bad shit in my life but I love my daughter like I wouldn't go there. I didn't never lay a hand on her like that. Why do you keep writing? Forgive me Sheila? They're asking him and like, what kind of guy molests his daughter and then sends her a card to remind her about it every year. Tierney's like, you need professional help. I hope your partner has more sense, and it's like, well, you do kind of have molestation on the brain events and that's true. At the FBI, Sabler meets Agent Peters and asks her about the case number. She's like, well, the agent that worked that case from nineteen seventy one is retired, but if you have a lead, I'll take it. She tells him that the case involves two young men who committed one of the longest string of unsolved bank robberies. They were known as the Fedora Bandits. They've not not very catchy. You know, they've been on the most wanted list for forty seven years.
Speaker 3: Pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: The next morning, Benson and Stabler stroll up to Tyranny sitting outside the home. He's kind of rambling about the weather and storm's coming, and he's on morphine and he's like it's cold. Benson offers him a blanket and Stabler goes, how about your fedora?
Speaker 3: Tyranny's like impressed.
Speaker 1: He's like, wow, you guys are quick, and they're like, are you ready to confess to twenty one armed robbery?
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't he.
Speaker 2: Just confess he's dying, Like, what's with the chase? It's so annoying, he's so dramatic.
Speaker 1: Well that's what the title of the episode is all about, which we get into yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he's like, you think that's all I got?
Speaker 1: He's He goes, I've been straight for a long time and Stabler points that, yes, it's eighteen seventy one, the year Shila was born, and he goes, yeah, when we had her, everything changed, Like the minute I held her, I couldn't protect her if I got locked up. So they're like, oh, okay, So Sheila knows that you're just like a massive bank robber and that's why she hates you, and he's like, no, Sheila doesn't know about that stuff. And they're like, so, why won't she see you? And he goes, the reason I've avoided capture for this long is because I don't talk about me or my business to anyone certainly ever never a cop. And it's like, well, you've been sort of leaking information to the cops. And it is true though, Like I could never get away with a crime for forty seven years. I'd be like, Okay, I'm gonna tell you this one quick thing, but you cannot say anything, you know, like I would absolutely be leaking it to a few people after some drinks. And so it is like a lot of self control, I think, to keep something like this a secret for so so long. Stabler's like, I'm done wasting my time. I'm turning this over to the Feds. And he walks off, and Tierney calls out and goes, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Then he tells Benson, I'm gonna lie down. The drugs are making me tired, but you should stick around. You never know what I'm gonna feel like talking. So he's jerking these people around, and I think the jerking is what's driving you crazy, Right, She's just not realistic.
Speaker 2: I would have ripped a fucking morphine out of his hand, slapped him across his face and said I don't have time for this.
Speaker 1: We have victim, we have live victims. I know we have a caseload, motherfucker. Well that's what happens next. Is like at the precinct, the priest comes in to like follow up with Elliott and he's like, well, yeah, he gave up the bank jobs. And the priest is like, is that all? And Elliott goes there's more and Stabler's like, father, what the hell is up? I've got twelve active cases. I don't have time to play twenty questions with this old, morphined up dude. And the priest is like, his immortal soul is in danger, and Stabler's like, uh, eternal damnation is not a police matter, which so true. You know, the priest says, it's not just his soul, you'd be saving a whole family. Okay, so obviously you know Stabler that appeals to Stabler with going on what's going on in his life. Back at Sheila's place, she admits she didn't know about the robberies, but she's not surprised. Her dad is a pro at keeping secrets, and Stabler's like, well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, bitch.
Speaker 3: You got plenty of your own secrets.
Speaker 1: You won't tell us anything, and it's like that's kind of true, Like she is about to open up to us. Molestation's not part of it. Why wouldn't you just say no, that's not what happened. Why would you say to the cops, I'm not going to talk about this. Like that implies that there's some kind of deep seated physical trauma, I would say, or emotional trauma that you can't get into. But anyway, she's like, when my mom died, my dad wanted me to stay at home and go to college in Queens. Stabler didn't go to college in Queens, but she decided she want to go to Europe. She'd save money. She just needed a passport. But he wouldn't let her have her birth certificate, so she picked the lock on the box where he keeps all the family documents, and the birth certificate listed Judson Tierney as the father and her mother as Suzanne Molinax. But she says, but my mother's name was Leonore. So he told her that Lenore couldn't have children and that he'd had an affair with Suzanne and gotten her pregnant. She says, my parents never hugged me. They never said I love you, Sable goes, yeah, that was the old school Irish way. My folks were the same. And look at me. I'm an absentee father with rage issues in the middle of a divorce. You know, things work out. And Sheila goes, no, it wasn't the same. My house was all locked doors and silence, and that's kind of you know, that's fucked up. I get why that's made her like traumatized. I don't get why it's made her not be able to say I wasn't molested to the cops pretty quickly. But my father made my mother raise his lover's child every day. I was there to remind them. No wonder they didn't touch me. My mother probably hated me. Stabler says, I'm sure that's not true, and she goes, well, I'll never know, will I. And so now we're at the precinct and Huang is getting involved and he is squabbling with Stabler.
Speaker 3: He's like, dude, it's Sheila's choice if she.
Speaker 1: Doesn't want to see her father, and Stabler's like, I think she'll regret it. And all you think, all you shrinks talk about is closure, and Huang quotes Tolstoy and says families are complicated. Stabler's like, what about Tierney? How do I get him to talk? And Hwang says, you don't, He'll talk when he's ready. You can't rush Shahrazad. So Shahrazad is the narrator of the Middle Eastern collection of tales called One thousand and one Nights. In the story, there's a king who gets cooked, so he marries a virgin every day and beheads her the next morning before she can betray him. Totally cool and normal, Shaharazad offers to marry the king and basically tells these amazing stories to him that he keeps not killing her in the morning because he wants to hear the stories. And she does this for one thousand and one Nights and by the end the king has fallen in love with her and spares her life. So this is often referenced when somebody is telling a story to prolong their survival, you know, like, oh, I gotta tell you one more thing before you pull the trigger, you know. So Tierney is trying to stave off death in the same way so that he can reconcile with Sheila, but she won't come, so he needs Olivia to take her place. This is Huang's psychological assessment of what's happening here. Stabler's like, she has come, she's there, she hasn't left. She's been watching him sleep all night, and like, meanwhile, the police department is paying Olivia amounts of overtime. She's just living at this hospice home with this one man who may or may not have another crime to confess. Huang says, Olivia's playing the fantasy of a daughter that's not the real thing.
Speaker 3: So they're like, oh, so does she have to get mad at him?
Speaker 1: And Huang goes, well, if she does, he'll do anything to get her back. So cut to Live shaking Tyrney awake and immediately being like, who's suzannemullenax? And he goes, she died a long time ago, and Benson goes, well, she was Sheila's birth mother, and he says, my wife Leonor was her mother. I told Sheila blood doesn't matter, only love, and she goes love making your wife raise another woman's kid. He goes, I didn't make her. She wanted a kid and couldn't have one. We couldn't adopt because I was an convicted felon. Like Live does go why didn't you adopt? And it's like, he goes, I was a convicted felon, like Olivia, you would know that. So Benson's like, if you're such a good dad, why won't Sheila take your calls? And he goes, I was just trying to protect her lives like you were protecting yourself. And he's like in the bathroom, and then Benson yells, okay, dude, I've had enough of this.
Speaker 3: Sheila doesn't want to hear your stories, and neither do I. I'm out of here.
Speaker 1: He opens the bathroom door with a fedora on and goes he's ready to go, and he goes, you got a car now. They're in a cemetery in Plattsburgh, New York, which, in case you think is just up the Hudson, it is five hours north of New York City. It's on Lake Champlain, across from Vermont, Okay. So they're at his wife, Lenore's grave. There are roses there that lake. Yeah, they really love that.
Speaker 3: I love Lake Champlain. I think it's the most beautiful lake.
Speaker 1: And there are a little monster in there who lives Champ Champ. Yeah, I lost a hat as a kid. They go Champ as your hat now, so there.
Speaker 3: Are roses at the grave.
Speaker 1: He still has a florists put roses at Lenore's grave. Like every he seems like a very loving husband. It is interesting to me that the home was filled with such like animosity even when we get to the bottom.
Speaker 3: Of all of this.
Speaker 1: So he tells Live you better start digging, and she thinks he means like, dig up your wife's grave. And he goes no, under the flowers, and under there she finds a set of keys.
Speaker 3: One do these go to? Lol?
Speaker 1: Why would he tell you that he's the king of jigsaw puzzles? Like he is literally just jigsawing you right now. So cut to Stabler at Tierney's house in Rego Park, which is a section of Queens and he's trying the key in every lock, cabinets, doors, nothing is working. Then outside he's walking and he steps on something metal and it's like a cellar door, kind of bomb shelter that's like in the ground, and boom, the key to that fits. Stabler goes down into the cellar. He sees a couple of trunks. The keys fit the trunks as well. He opens one up. It's filled with cash. He calls Live, and he's like, there's got to be a million dollars here. He's kind of giddy. I'm like, take a little bit. You got to send all these kids to college. Wouldn't the currency in the birthday cards have been enough to warrant a search of his home, Like the cops could have snipped off these little locks no problem without the ten hour round trip journey to upstate New York for Live. You know, like they went all the way up there to get these keys. It's like, here's a bolt cutter. They're open anyway. He's on the phone with Live as he opens the other trunk and he's like, yeah, I found Tyranny stash. And then when he lifts the lidd he goes along with the other half of the fedora bandits, and inside the trunk we see a mummified skeleton with a little fedora resting right on the chest.
Speaker 3: So done done.
Speaker 1: So Now we're at Melinda's house where she's showing Stabler how this guy was shot at close range, like right through the heart. She says the body could have been down there for months or years. Mummification can occur in a short period of time if it's kept in a steady low temperature without sunlight to degrade it. So Stabler is suddenly a fashion blogger and he clocks the wide collar on the short tie and he's like, well, this is a classic seventies look. Melinda goes brings back memories, and Stabler goes of what you and diapers, and Melinda goes, bless your heart. In reality, they are too. In reality, she's two years older than him. I don't know why they're playing a little cute age game. Maybe he's flirting and kind of seeing what his options are post Kathy. Melinda also found some coins in the pocket of this guy's clothes, and no coins were after nineteen seventy one, so that's probably as close to time of death as they're going to get.
Speaker 3: Back at the.
Speaker 1: Hospice place, Tierney's eating when Olivia strolls up and accuses him of killing his partner, which he cops to extremely quickly, and he's very unremorseful. He's like, yeah, I did that. His only regret is letting him rotten the trunk in his backyard. He says, it's stunk up the place something fierce. I ha to tell neighbors it was a dead cat. In a storm drain, which is crazy because when he plays John Wayne Gacy, I think he also tells people it's a dead animal when he's hiding kids under his porch of his house. Anyway, just only a connection for me. He was like, well, what was I supposed to do? And Olivia is like, you could have turned yourself in, Like what about Jack's family? They probably wanted to know that he was dead. Tierney goes, he had no kids and his wife was better off without him. Benson helps him put his oxygen tubes fixed up, and then she goes, don't you think his wife would want to know he's dead? I love this moment. We cut to the home of Rita Calino on Long Island. She goes to all these women in her bridge game girls, I'm a widow. She has this sassy friend who goes, congrats, are we dealing you in or what?
Speaker 3: These do not give a shit?
Speaker 1: This guy's been missing for thirty years, Like they don't you know? So Rita tells Stabler, I haven't thought about Jack in the years, and she gives Stabler a picture of him and says, I'm not They asked him, like do you know how he made his money. She goes, I don't really know, but I'm sure it wasn't what he put on his taxes. When I'd get curious, he'd buy me a piece of jewelry. I just assumed he'd run off with one of his mistresses, so you knew he was cheating. Stabler asks, and she goes, it was a different time. Nice Catholic girls didn't get a divorce, although I considered it for the sake of the baby. Stabler's like, I thought you guys didn't have any kids, and she goes, no, the baby wasn't mine. Jack knocked up some girl and she wanted him to divorce me. But Jack would never even ask me for a divorce. She goes, He had his affairs, but he always came home to mama, So it's weird that she would think that if he always came home to Mama, that one time he'd be like, well, no, this mistress actually is I am going to leave a not say a word. That is weird that you wouldn't have called anyone said anything. So she was like, the only reason I even knew about the baby is because this little tramp came to my door and was begging me to let go of my husband and there what was her name? And she goes rhymes with hunt love a good see you next Tuesday joke on the old s V and Rita goes, but her real name was Suzanne Mullinax. Okay, so we're getting closer to what's going on here. In the next scene, Benson confronts Tierney about it and he that, oh, like, so you and Jack were both sleeping with Suzanne. So who's Sheila's dad? And Tierney goes, Jack was, but he but I forged my name on the birth certificate. So you get the feeling that he did not sleep with Susanne at all. I don't think he was having an affair with Susane at all.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So then Tierney asked Benson to pass him a smoke and she's like, are you joking? And he's like, what is it going to make me sick? So basically she's like, so, how did you end up with Sheila? Tierney goes, Sheila was one month old. Jack calls me up and says he ran out of gas, bring and bring a can over to Suzanne's house. When he gets there, Suzanne is dead. Jack killed her because she threatened to him out on the bank robberies if he didn't leave Rita.
Speaker 3: He thought that the problem was solved. I'll just get rid of her body.
Speaker 1: So he starts splashing gas around the house and Tierney's like, what about the baby, And Jack says, to hell with her, let her burn, and he starts moving towards the crib with the gas can in his hand. So Tierney shot him right through the heart. So that confirms, like the forensics are all backed up by that story as well. So he took the baby, told his wife about the whole Jack and Suzanne thing, told her about the bank jobs, that money, and everything came clean about it. She cried for an hour and then made him promise that it was all in his past. And then he locked up Jack and the money in the bomb shelter and he never looked back. And Benson's like, why didn't you tell Sheila she was adopted? And He's like, tell her that her mother was a blackmailing tramp and her father was a murderous thief who I killed.
Speaker 3: And Benson's like.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, sure, I get why you kind of kept that a secret.
Speaker 1: You didn't want her to hate herself. He says everything he did was for Sheila, and he'd do it again. There's been too many secrets, too many lies. I killed a man, I stole his kid. I got to answer for that, So arrest me. He goes, please, come on, why do you leave your your handcuffs at home? He's like begging them to arrest him. So then you think for a second that lives gonna kind of.
Speaker 3: Let it slide.
Speaker 1: But then you remember this is Olivia Benson and she doesn't let anything slide. And she stands up and she arrests Tyranny for the murder of Jack Callino and the kidnapping of Shila Dumont. Like, does this explain to you though? Also why they were not nice to Shila? Like, I know she's not their biological child, but it seems like he loved her a lot. Why would they Why was everything closed doors and secrets and no no, never saying I love you and never.
Speaker 3: Talking to her or touching her.
Speaker 2: Well, he was also career criminals, so it's like, I'm sure she kind of hate it. I don't know, I don't like this episode. Yeah, yeah, that's true, there's no reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So at the precinct, finn Is like, wow, in forty eight hours, you guys solve.
Speaker 3: Twenty one robberies, a murder, and a kidnapping.
Speaker 1: You're trying to make us look bad, and Stabler goes for once, Catholic guilt is a good thing, and then Munch goes, I thought we Jews had a corner on that market.
Speaker 3: I was like, the difference between.
Speaker 1: Catholic guilt and Jewish guilt isn't like Jewish guilt like you don't call your mom like this and that, and Catholic guilt is like if you do anything wrong, you're going to hell.
Speaker 2: Like there's like the guilt seems different, right, Well, we also talk about it. Yeah, they're like, no, there's this shame. Ours is guilt.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, like Jewish guilt, like you don't go to temple enough, you don't call me, you don't like you know, like it's like the guilt that your parents put on you. Maybe it's like guilt tripping versus actually feeling guilt because the devil is gonna take your soul or whatever. Anyway, Stabler's there to get some paperwork. Olivia is over with Tierney. He wanted to go to Central Booking, but they wouldn't let him because he's literally a death store and uh, Finn finds a little uh oh. The Molinac's case, it turns out, was closed in nineteen seventy two and her ex husband, Mike Mollenax was convicted of murder two and arson in the first. So now we're meeting this guy Mike X in jail. I recognize this guy. The actor is named John Doman. He's a big guy from the wire. He's also been on so much Law and Order. Four episode of Organized Crime, five episodes of Original Recipe, one of Trial by Jury, one of Criminal Intent, and five of SVU including limitations which we covered. And he plays that retired cop who drinks milk that we hate. Remember, we're like, look at this fucking loser. He like didn't listen to a rape victim's complaint he thought she was lying, And then he's like sitting there drinking a glass of milk, and we're like, look at this asshole drinking milk. Anyway, that was him, this actor, he's got tons and tons of credits. He works, He's in tons of movies and stuff, like you've seen him. Anyway, he's in jail telling his story He's like, I was just sitting on a barstool one night and the cops came in and arrested me for killing Suzanne and the baby, which, by the way, howd they arrested for killing the baby?
Speaker 3: They never found a body of a baby.
Speaker 1: He said he didn't do it, and no one believed him because he was a mean drunk back then, like when Suzanne threw him out, he'd harass her, show up, he threatened to burn her house down, and when he heard she died in a fire, he knew he'd be a suspect. So we hit out with one of his girlfriends. Then they had a fight, he beat her up. She turned him in the next day. Stabler's like, well, they didn't really have much of a strong case for you, just motive. And he's like, I was a dirtbag, boozehound with a habit of beating up women. It took the jury twenty minutes to convict and he's like, am I really going to get out of here? So we cut to Novak and she's like, I'll get him out. Wrongful convictions make the whole system look bad. Tierney won't be able to testify though, Like he's in bad shape. They keep saying that, but he's also been taking road trips with Livia. He's up and about, he's dining in the cafeteria like. He seems okay besides the coughing and the fact that he's still ripping butts. Casey just needs an affidavit from his doctor or a sworn's statement, like a dying declaration. Stabler's like, I don't think Tierney knew Molinix went down for this, So we cut to Tierney being like, oh, hell no, I didn't know that. If I knew that, I would have said something. Stabler's like, I checked the papers didn't cover his arrest or his trial. I guess it wasn't worth it. Like a man killing his ex wife and baby and setting the house on fire is not newspaper worthy enough in nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 3: So they're swearing Tyranny.
Speaker 1: In and he keeps going, come on, come on, let's do it, like and Novak is like, subtle down, bro, like we have to do this by the book. She goes to swear him in. He can't stop coughing. He keeps pushing the morphine button. He starts to give a statement, but then he gets very woozy and suddenly the morphine has him totally zonked and he's like passed out. In case, he's like, you guys didn't mention he's on pain medication. And it's like, girl, he's in hospice. I think everyone is on pain medication. Like you should have asked if that was like a thing that the drug use is gonna make anything he says inadmissible, And without his statement, they can't get Mike Mollenax out of prison. So this is one of those moral conundrums that they have on this show. So now they're talking to Tyranny's doctor who's like, he's in a lot of pain. I increased his morphine and he's sleeping, and she's like, I kind of hope he never wakes up. The only thing that will bring him out of the sleep of this morphine sleep is narcan, and I can't give that to him without his consent, which he can't give because of the morphine morphine. She's like, I know it's a catch twenty two, but this is the treatment plan that he asked for, and I can't go against his wishes. His next of kin, his family could request narcan. So if Sheila asked for it, they could do it. So now Stable's at Sheila's house telling her the whole damn saga. So she's like, Okay, I'll sign the paper so an innocent man doesn't have to pay for his crimes. She'll but I'll do it as long as you tell her my dad that I didn't do it for him.
Speaker 3: She's still very pissed at him. Now they're at the home.
Speaker 1: The doctor is gonna give the narcan and he'll wake up immediately. So now Sheila is there and she has to decide if she wants to talk to him. Sable's trying to convince her that even though like, yes, your dad's screwed up, but he was just doing it to protect you.
Speaker 3: He says, I've done.
Speaker 1: The same with my own kids, this kind of seems like it's resonating with her. And then she starts walking into the room where she sees him sleeping, and she kind of starts to freak out, and he wakes up as she's like kind of running away, and he's like, Sheila, that's my girl, Sheila, And then Tierney's like, where's that da? She never finished taking my statement and she better make it quick, Like he keeps threatening like he could just pull the trigger and die whenever he wants. Stabler is now at sing sing to spring Mullenax. When there's another fucking rent this episode, the assistant warden walks up and goes, hate to break it to you, after all this work you've done. But in nineteen eighty five, there was a gang fight between the Aryan Brotherhood and the Crips. An officer got shanked, a couple inmates got murdered, and Molanax is the one that committed one of the murders, so they're going to file on him for that. So even though you're getting him out for the murder of Suzanne Molnax and the baby, he's going to be tried for this murder of like a prison fight that he got into. And Molinax is like pissed and he's like begging Stabler to do something. And then meanwhile Tierney's waking up coughing in his room, asking is Molanax out? Yet it's like he's waiting for Molanax to be freed so he can die. So now Mullenax tells Stabler what happened the day of the prison fight and he goes, I was coming back from Emil when those Aryan freaks jumped a black guy. He goes, then all these friends piled on all hell's hell breaks loose. He was just walking by and then a guy comes at him with a six inch shive. They wrestled to the ground. The guy drops the ship. He starts choking me out. So I grabbed the ship and I angle him in self defense. Stabler's like, all right, I'll see if I can help you, if I can check your story out. Now he's talking in Novac and he's like, I managed to track down six witnesses in five minutes who all back Molnax's story. She doesn't have any jurisdiction over the crimes committed at Sing Sing though. He's like, well, talk to the DA up state. She's like, I already did. That guy's on the warden side he wants to prosecute. So Stabler's like, this guy served thirty four years for a murder he didn't commit, and now he's going to do more time for a murder he wouldn't have committed if he wasn't locked up in the first place. This is kind of the premise of making a murderer. You know, this guy was in jail for all these years for a rape he did not commit, and then when he got out, he committed a murder. Would he have committed that murder if he hadn't done all that jail time, if this system wasn't fucked up like that?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Casey agrees that it's fucked up, but there's nothing she can do.
Speaker 1: And he goes do something Casey, So I guess now she can do something.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Tierney is fighting death and won't give up, and liv is like, we're going to get him out. Just rests, and he's like, no, I got to see this through. It's like, sweetie, the judicial system does not move fast enough. You need to just get back on the morphine. You know. Cut to Queen Judith Light Elizabeth Donnelly, who is incredulous that Casey just asked her to get the governor to pardon this guy. Casey's like, I'll ask the governor. I just need you to get him on the phone. You guys are law school pals. And Donnelly's like, I would tell him not to get involved if I got him on the phone. The DA upstate has the right to try Mollenacs for murder. You can't circumvent the authority of the DA up there. But she's like, I do have an alternate plan. The governor can pardon him on the Molanax murder. If he pleads guilty to the prison murder and gets sentenced to time served, then he's free to go and everyone gets what they want. She'll get Casey and to see the governor, but the rest is up to her. So now Novak and Stabler at the Governor's office. He's stressing case Tyranny's dying, and she's like, just tell him Mollenax is out of jail.
Speaker 3: He'll never know.
Speaker 1: And Stabler's like, but I will honesty integrity till the very end. Then, but he can lie, but it'll lie to a suspect, you know. But then an assistant comes in and says the govern has agreed to the request. Stabler calls Live to tell her. She goes to tell Tyrney. He's relieved, but asks her to stick around because it's not going to be too much longer. She says, I'm not going anywhere again. The overtime that lives, She's been there forty eight hours, seventy two hours gone on a full road trip to Vermont.
Speaker 3: Like it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Stabler swoops in with Sheila right at that moment she sits with her dad. He's asleep, he's looking tyry and emotional. He looks peaceful, and then she starts sobbing. So I think we're meant to believe that his breathing has stopped or he's gone, and that's dick wolf baby. So in the end, he waited for her to die, like he kind of you're to believe he felt that she was there and then he let himself pass on. So it is a sad story because it's like, ultimately, this guy saved your life.
Speaker 3: But also.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he had given you to a firehouse, would you have been adopted to, like a more loving home than you were in, Like maybe she doesn't, maybe she doesn't fully agree with how the plan went.
Speaker 3: After the life, she would have been burned to a crisp if.
Speaker 1: He didn't know if he saved her life and then if he took her like gave her up for adoption or like you know, just left her on a doorstep for that or.
Speaker 3: I'm projecting I hate this look we got to move on.
Speaker 2: No, no, you did great. I was at the edge of my seat. I was very as much into it as I ever would be.
Speaker 3: You know. He just needed me to tell you the story. All right.
Speaker 1: I don't know anything about these crimes, so I'm excited for you to tell me.
Speaker 2: So there's two crimes we have, you know, sad murder vibes and then kind of more uplifting bank robber vibes. So well, we'll do that. The first one is the case of Timothy Evans. Timothy was born in nineteen twenty four in Merther, which is like Welsh English area, you know. Okay, So the article I found said that he was a poorly child.
Speaker 3: That must just mean poor, right, what's poorly so weird? Yeah? Poor?
Speaker 1: I guess poorly could also mean like you're poor, like you're sort of sickly, you look dirty. I don't know, like, I guess it was paints a bigger picture.
Speaker 3: You're right, you're right on the money.
Speaker 2: He had a deformed foot and he barely went to school. He didn't learn how to read or write really, but his family did end up moving to London in nineteen thirty five, and he eventually found work as a painter and then as a van driver. He was, you know, a Welshman living in London and more specifically in the notting Hill area, which I probably only am writing because of the movie.
Speaker 3: But it's also like a fancy area, isn't it it is now? Who knows what it used to be?
Speaker 2: That's true, you know, like the nineties Hell's Kitchen was I think kind of murderous for a while. But I wonder if I would even know what notting Hill was without the movie.
Speaker 3: Probably not. Uh, the first time I heard of it was the movie.
Speaker 2: And so he met his wife Beryl in nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 3: Who else is name? Beryl? It's the hurricane that's happening right now?
Speaker 2: Stop, isn't the hurricane? I don't know in Texas? Yeah, Beryl Houston, it says, damn.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my god, that's so crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's this guy's wife's name. And they got they met in nineteen forty seven. They got married, and then they had a kid named Geraldine okay, which obviously reminds me of some like it up so I love it. And they lived now in an infamous home, ten Rillington Place, and basically, this man, Timothy, was hung for the crime of killing his wife Beryl in fourteenth month old child Geraldine. Oh it happened, been very fast. The trial only lasted three days, and the whole crux of the trial relied on the testimony of another person who lived in the building. So this guy, John Christy was his name, and he was a postal service clerk and also a former police special constable, so you know, a cab and he claimed that he heard the couple fighting all the time. But lo and behold, Christy ended up being found out years later as a serial killer and necrophiliac.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But by the time it was all found out, Timothy had already been sentenced to death.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And the jury only deliberated for forty minutes. March ninth, nineteen fifty he was sentenced to death at twenty five years old. This is a very young man, and he was hung in Pentonville Prison and buried in its cemetery. The death got very little attention because, like obviously, people him, he killed his wife and kid, you know, and they had okay thoughts about the death penalty.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a contrastial thought.
Speaker 2: At the time, and this case played a huge part actually in Britain finally suspending and then abolishing in nineteen sixty nine the death penalty. But then for Timothy, he was not fully exonerated until two thousand and four, which I don't get why the paperwork took to that long, but whatever. So nobody knows what ended up truly happening, but it is thought that in nineteen forty nine, Beryl became pregnant again but decided to terminate the pregnancy, which was illegal at the time. So Christie's like, hey, I have medical experience and said, you know, he could perform the abortion.
Speaker 3: But when Evans was.
Speaker 1: She confiding in her cop neighbor that she was pregnant, and he's like, hey, I do abortions.
Speaker 3: That's weird. Yeah, I mean they were in the same building.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's illegal, why would you confess to a cop.
Speaker 2: It's weird anyway, go on former cop. Okay postal service clerk. I don't know, you're right, I mean I wouldn't. I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Yes, you are.
Speaker 2: Right, but I have no ide yah yeah yeah, but this guy also didn't go to high school. Okay, So so basically like he was like, you know, I could do the abortion. But when Evans was out, he strangled both Beryl and Geraldine and then bury them in the property, like near the property in the Washington House. Now, when Evans returned, Christie's like, listen, your wife died during the procedure. I'll get rid of the body. I'll take care of Geraldine, but you need to skip town. Like abortion's illegal, the cops are going to come after you. You've got to get out of here. And yeah, and so this is where you know, not going to school really comes in. And so they figured out that Timothy had an IQ of a twelve year old, and so he went back to Mertha to stay with his family, and then he actually walks into the precinct and confesses to the crime. So then the London police were notified. And Evans said he put her down the drain, That's what he kept saying. But they didn't find any evidence in that way. But then they ended up finding these bodies wrapped in tablecloths.
Speaker 3: So the officers did.
Speaker 2: Really bad police work like usual, and the fence was being held up by a full femur bone.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Oh there was like a femur bone.
Speaker 2: In the fence, and the cops just kind of skipped that. So Evans eventually like told the truth once like everything started, you know, happening, and he was like, listen, I was just covering for Christy. He did an abortion on my wife, and I was that's what I did. But this honestly makes no sense. And of course they found him guilty. Like he confess he left town like it is really tough. Yeah, So then the truth wasn't covered. Three years later, Christy ended up moving out of the apartment and the new tenants found the bodies of three women that were hidden and papered over recess in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And it was Kathleen Maloney, Rita Nelson, and Hectorina McLennon. And then they uncovered more bodies. They found the body of his wife Ethel and she was buried under the floorboards of the front room. And then they found a nurse named Ruth First and also a former colleague of his name Muriel Eddie, and they were in very shallow graves in the yard and they were all strangled and tied up just the same way as Geraldine and Beryl and that's another thing, like you would probably grab your child. You're like, yeah, bury that, but where's my kid? Or let me say by to my kid or like you know what I mean, Like yeah. So he was finally tracked down and arrested in West London in March nineteen fifty three, and during the questioning he did confess to killing Baryl Evans, though he never admitted to killing Geraldine, and then he was found guilty of murdering his wife and was also hung in July nineteen fifty three by Albert Pierpoint, who was also the same man who executed Evans Jesus in nineteen sixty eight. The Home Secretary at the time, Roy Jenkins, recommended a royal pardon, which was accepted and evans remains were exhumed from the prison cemetery and buried in Saint Patrick's Cemetery in leyton Stone, East London.
Speaker 3: So kind of a so fucking sad.
Speaker 2: So if you remember a few weeks ago in the intro, I mentioned that I was doing research at the back of a bar at a show and it made me sad.
Speaker 3: This was the case. After you hear about.
Speaker 1: Little Geraldine, You're like, Hi, how's everybody doing to night, you guys having fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, So it's really sad and kind of complicated. And this man, like this Christie guy, was a fucking lunatic psychopath.
Speaker 4: Ugh.
Speaker 1: I mean I want to say, like, oh, if abortion had been legal, maybe this wouldn't have happened. But I'm sure this psycle would have gone after them in some way. He probably would have killed the whole family.
Speaker 2: It seems like he only killed women, okay, so as they do, okay. The next case is of Edwin Alonzo Boyd, and this dude was Canada's most notorious bank robber in the early nineteen forties and fifties. And whenever I think about bank robbers, I always think of John Mulaney's joke where he goes, yeah, you can like it within with bullets, like shoot your name into something you robbed, but if there's no evidence, you could just get away. And he does impressions of like nineteen twenties gangsters. Is I love it anyway? So this guy was a vagabond and a career criminal and he had his own gang called the Boyd Gang. Everything I read was like, he's so famous, he's so notorious, he's so famous, but all the articles I kept finding were just about the movie made about him, like not about him at all. But his daughter, Carolyn Boyd helped make this movie where Scott Speedman acted in it, and it's called Citizen Gangster. She was seven years old when her dad started robbing bakes and he is kind of iconic, a folk hero, a media sensation, and she kind of brought the more. You know, it was also splashy, all the news of all these wild bank robberies, but she brought like the heart and the drama, like within the Home, you know, kind of paget vibes.
Speaker 3: But you know it's a movie. So have you heard of it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: So this guy he was born April second, nineteen fourteen in Toronto, but he hated school and he loved a swindle and hustle money from a very young age, like he found his calling. He didn't make it to high school. He didn't like following rules, even though he was the son of a cop. Hello and his father went away to during World War One fight and like so then Edwin was born, his dad left World War One, and then when the dad came back, he was like a different dude. He was just the stern religious psycho and Edwin just loved breaking rules and but like he also loved attention, and being a CoP's son doing all this was all the attention he was craving. And so once his mother died when he was fifteen, he dropped out of school and pieced out. So by nineteen thirty he was a drifter out west, riding the rails, surviving the Depression by conning women. And I know plenty of men like this, and it's not the depression. And yeah, odd jobs, petty theft, and you know, just lying to women and not leaving their house. So at twenty two he robbed a gas station and then spent two and a half years in prison for that. And then he did join the Royal Canadian Regiment during World War Two and that's where he met his wife while he was out and about. So this happened a lot, I guess in quotes, hoboes became heroes.
Speaker 1: Jaron's obsessed with this movie called a Hoboes Christmas that we caught on TV one time when he was at my house, and it was truly wild stick and bindle. This basically this guy's whole story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so all these hoboes went away and came back war heroes with like you know, got some wives, so.
Speaker 3: You know, all good news.
Speaker 2: And this daughter, Carolyn says that he like, he loved the kids, he loved you know, her mom, and.
Speaker 3: That he was a good family man.
Speaker 2: But he married a woman named Doreen Thompson and they had three kids with her, two twins and then one bonus kid. And he took a job driving a street car, but he was bored he went back to crime.
Speaker 3: So the Waterloo Region.
Speaker 2: Record, that is the paper I was reading from, said that he became known for his verve he displayed during his bank robberies. So in today's terms, riz okay what lotter is. During his crimes, he would leap on bank counters and he was hot, so everyone was really into the way he looked. He pulled off a string of armed robberies in Toronto. And the first one so it started with a heist at a Bank of Montreal branch on September ninth, nineteen forty nine. Then July fourth, nineteen fifty he and end quotes, a heavier set partner end quote decided to rob Dominion Bank with a green convertible that they had stolen earlier. And he is smart, so like, you know, they grew out their facial hair for this robbery. He did use a gun that he stole off a dead soldier in France during the Second World War.
Speaker 3: They did a little razzle dazzle.
Speaker 2: They robbed the bank in less than two minutes, and then they ran into this idling convertible, sped away before dumping the car in a swamp, and then they just walked over to his truck. So like that's the thing. Cameras ruined everything. That's like the Malani joke, like you really got to commit any crimes. And then I think it goes into his like seamen Svu joke. I don't know, I love the pusage. But he was annoyed because he got this partner thinking, oh, we'll do double the thing. But this guy was just like he was actually just annoyed. He had a split money with this loser. Like that was kind of the vibe. He's like, I thought I needed a partner, but I don't need this guy. But between September nineteen forty nine to October nineteen fifty one, Boyd completed six different bank heists, sometimes alone, sometimes with a partner. He was caught by a bank teller from one of the robberies who brought his ass down as a main witness.
Speaker 3: And she was smart.
Speaker 2: Her name is June Catania, and I wonder if she's, you know, related to Frank, related to Dolo. The gun was held at her fucking chest and she lived to retail those terrifying moments in cour and she, like I said, star witness, and she recognized their voices. She also penciled numbers on the money that day and was able to identify several bills in their possession with the markings she'd made. The physical evidence and her testimony is what linked him directly to the crime. And in the fall of nineteen fifty one, he was caught and thrown into the dreaded Dawn jail like no toilets, dreaded a bucket in the corridor.
Speaker 3: Type of jail.
Speaker 2: But guess what, my favorite he had two prison breaks, babys. Yeah, so basically from this from this like whoa jail And it left authorities so embarrassed and the citizens were pissed, but they loved it. They were like enthralled by his audacity. But they were like, can the call, like, what's going on here? So and the by coincidence, the CBC in Toronto began regular television programming the night of this jail break, so it became a sensation. Allegedly there's like barely any actual articles, okay, so then unprecedented in skill. But there's a lot of books and movies and TV episodes, so if you want to know more, there's a lot out there. Unprecedented in scale of the search like that. It was a twenty six thousand dollars reward. Cops were everywhere swarming the city with maps and traps and whatever or man traps. I don't know why, I said, maps, okay, man traps okay. So the mayor at the time, Alan Lamport, said the most shameful thing that has occurred in the city to the Toronto Daily Star, and it's like, oh, your mayor is going to smoke crack soon.
Speaker 3: Like you guys don't even know what you've seen.
Speaker 2: You're embarrassed now, honey, there is so much so and Drake being humiliated lately.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So, in the jail, he teamed up with some cell mates Willie and Lenny Jackson and they smuggle a hack saw blade what how and they sawed through some window bars.
Speaker 1: Maybe they had a bron win, maybe they had some guard that was on their side, who knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they escaped.
Speaker 2: November fourth, nineteen fifty one, the crew connected with Val Lesso aka Steve SuChin. Who was They talk about him like I would know these people, but it is my job. But they're like, so, yeah, they connected with Val, and I'm like, who is Val? Okay so, and they began robbing banks again. Two weeks after the jail break, the bandits hit the Bank of Toronto for forty three hundred dollars and then November thirtieth, nineteen fifty one, they got more than forty six grand from the Royal Bank of Canada in the Lee Side and.
Speaker 3: Then the biggest bank.
Speaker 2: That was the biggest bank hold up in the history of Toronto, according to the Toronto Daily Star. And the Star is who coined the name the Boyd Gang, and it stuck and even though Lenny felt like he was the true leader, so he was kind of pissed. And then March sixth, nineteen fifty two, Lenny and SuChin shot sergeant of detectives ed Mintong and his partner, Detective Sergeant Roy Perry, for their car like and then their car was pulled over and they shot these two cops.
Speaker 3: So that made the cops pissed obviously, and.
Speaker 2: They're like, we're gonna swear we're gonna catch these boyd boys, and they arrested his ass while he was asleep in bed with his wife.
Speaker 3: But they made a huge mistake.
Speaker 2: They kept all the men together in the Number nine hospital, which was a medical ward turned into a cell block at this down jail, and the police was like, we're like, oh, you know, it'll be easier to monitor all these men if they're all in the same place.
Speaker 3: So it's Oz style.
Speaker 2: They would mingle all day in the daytime and then they were locked in their cells at night. But there was a ceiling microphone and that allowed the cops to eavesdrop on everyone. But all these guys realized nobody patrolled the area between five and seven am, and they're like, great, let's get a fucking saw.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. So it's like cartoon goofy.
Speaker 2: So while Willie Jackson was known as the goof, he grabbed the cell door key that hung on a guard's belt, but the guard was just like, Aha, we're all just fooling around. Willy's so funny and thought nothing of it. But Willy ended up making an outline of the key and carved a key out of steel.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Break, this sounds like a full cartoon. This sounds like Looney Tunes.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I know.
Speaker 2: So then with the key in hand, the men unlocked their cell doors and saw it out again. It did take a month to cut through, but they did it, and a pillow was placed over the screen that housed the ceiling mic to cover the sawing noises, and so they were caught after complaints of homeless people living in an abandoned barn were reported. But by this time they had fans and stuff. Teenage girls were screaming clapping. They would be like we want BOYD. They would scream, okay, So back to the John jail they go. But now they were kept on round the clock supervision, obviously, and then they put in stronger bars. He received a life sentence but actually ended up being paroled in nineteen sixty two, but then eventually went back to jail for breaking parole and served more time and then was finally out in nineteen sixty six and headed west and got a job driving a van. He ended up dying in two thousand and two at the age of eighty eight of pneumonia in British Columbia. But his two partners that ended up like shooting and killing the cops or whatever in the shootout.
Speaker 3: They were hung in the gallows in nineteen fifty two.
Speaker 2: But again he had so much riz and so much public fascination, so that led authorities to force him to assume a new identity and to live the remainder of his life from far from Toronto in British Columbia.
Speaker 3: So that's what they did. That's why he ended up there.
Speaker 2: They're like, you need a new name, you need a new identity, Get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 3: You're too popular. He said.
Speaker 2: His biggest regret was losing his family and all of this he did, of course, remarry because why not.
Speaker 3: You know, later in life he.
Speaker 2: Did confess, I did a few things that could have got me hung. So that's like a little Brian Dennie vibe. If you want to read more, there is a book by Brian Valley v. A. L. L. Ee, and it's called Edwin Alonzo Boyd the story of a notorious Boyd gang. So if you want to read that, and you know, and with all that charm and attention, the director of that Scott Speedman movie, Nathan Morlando said, you know, but how much courage and charm does it take to put a gun in a female bank teller's face? Our city was terrorized by a ruthless gang, you know, let's not forget all that. And even from the grave though, this man is still fooling and conning around with his legacy.
Speaker 1: So damn damn wild Well, thanks for looking into those guys. And uh yeah, no another another no, guests, we've had Paget on if you want to go back and listen to our interview with Paget Brewster. I think we asked her about this episode for sure, but let's just get into our post mortem.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I still don't like this episode, but I am thrilled that, you know, some people don't like it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I like Paget, We love Paget, Brian Denny he is, you know, a legend slash John Wayne Casey in my mind forever.
Speaker 3: But the crimes were interesting too.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel so sad for this man who happened to live next door to a serial killer who framed him for the murder of his own children.
Speaker 2: Jesus, this happens to me week after week where I start the postmortem talking about this beloved television show and then you hit me with the news of a crime that I had just talked about, and then you reminded me. It's like, oh, yeah, fuck, that was the worst thing ever. Let the bodies hit the floor, but under the floorboards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bummer, bummer, bummer, yes, a real bummer.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Uh, please, don't ever run away, don't trust anyone, don't leave your child with a weird man. Also, let your kids go to school. Stop with this homeschooling trend, Like let your kids go to school and learn which kids weren't going to school? Just this man didn't have a great education and so he.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You want your kids to learn, and I'm for schools.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. Also, this this episode taught us that the NYPD has like just tons of time to sit with old people until they decide to give up their secrets. Benson was on round the clock nurse duty at this place, and uh, yeah, here's a question about this episode. Do you think that after Paget Brewster sort of had the closure with her dad and and he died and she realized that kind of he did everything to sort of spare her like pain. Do you think she opened all those cards and took the cash because there was one hundred bucks in every card.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe it gave him to a kid. Yeah, she probably put kid, put it in the cast for the kids, put it in a kid's savings account or something.
Speaker 3: The Bahamas put his ashes there. I don't know. Yeah. Yeah, take a nice little trip, A.
Speaker 1: Nice little trip the Fedora Bandit's oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's move to what with Sister Peg.
Speaker 1: Do you know this is our weekly segment where we direct you towards an organization, a charity, an article, a book, a movie, something to give you more info about what we talked about. And I was just thinking about how some people in the final chapter of their life do not have the opportunity to have Olivia Benson sit at their bedside and for that kind of attention, usually they are helped by hospice nurses and hospice volunteers. And so we'd like to point you to the Hospice Foundation of America, specifically their volunteer page. They are an integral part of hospice work and there's a wide variety of ways that people can volunteer. Obviously, one way is to work directly with hospice patients, but other necessary roles include, you know, childcare assistants, fundraising, administrative work, and even helping take care of the hospice facilities themselves. So for more information go to Hospice Foundation dot org slash volunteer and that will be in our show notes for this episode, as well as in a story on our Instagram page that's messed up pod the data this episode comes out and then we save those forever in our WWSPD highlights, so if you miss it or you're behind, you can always check those out later on Instagram.
Speaker 2: And next week we will be doing the Lowdown, not the Lowdown Lowdown, Okay, we'll do the episode low down from season five, episode twenty. We've been waiting so long to do it, so I can't wait. And we have a guest next week. If that's what you're into, so see you. Then that's messed up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and on Twitter at and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to our.
Speaker 1: Mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Koperski for our theme song, and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 4: Dun dun