Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, we begin with the latest on the effort to end the war in Ukraine. Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelenski says he has an agreement with the US to make security guarantees legally binding through a vote in Congress as part of a deal to end the war with Russia. Zelenski expects the US to consult next with Russia, while Ukrainian negotiators may return to America for weekend talks. President Trump says the conflict is nearing resolution.
Speaker 4: I think we're closer now, and they will tell you that they're closer now. We had numerous conversations with President Putin of Russia, and I think we're closer now than we have been ever.
Speaker 3: President Trump made those remarks after he talked to a gathering of European leaders yesterday hosted by German Chancellor Friedrich Meritz.
Speaker 2: Now to the latest on the death of actor director Rob Reiner. Nathan, the Hollywood Icon's son is being held this morning in the stabbing deaths of his father and mother, Michelle Singer Reiner in their Brentwood home. Here's Los Angeles Police Chief Jim McDonald.
Speaker 5: Nick Reiner a suspect in this case.
Speaker 4: He was subsequently booked for murder and is being held.
Speaker 2: LA Police Chief Jim McDonald says prosecutors will decide charges for Nick Reiner later today. He's being held without bail. Rob Rinder's death has led to an outpouring of tributes in the entertainment and political worlds. Reiner was a longtime donor to democratic and liberal causes. President Trump is reacting to Reiner's death with scorn.
Speaker 4: I wasn't a fan of his at all. He was a deranged person as far as Trump is concerned.
Speaker 2: President Trump spoke after he claimed on social media that Reiner died of quote Trump derangement syndrome that sparked backlash from some of the president's fellow Republicans. Conservative commentator Eric Ericson drews with Republican calls for civility after the death of Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Karen the Manheunt continues this morning for the shooter in the mass shooting at Brown University. The shock over the rampage that killed two students and wounded nine others, is giving way to frustration over the investigation. A person of interest who has detained over the weekend has been released, and police and Providence, Rhode Island have yet to name any new suspect. Since Talia Levine is a student at Brown.
Speaker 6: Overall, the sentiment amongst students has just been deep rooted distress and fear that this could happen in a place that we consider so safe in our home.
Speaker 3: Brown's student Talia Levine, spoke as police released three more videos and two photos of a suspect wearing dark clothing, a cap and a face mask. Here's Rhode Island Governor Daniel McKee.
Speaker 7: We want to make sure that all Rhode Islanders know that everything is physically possible is being done and partnering in with our federal the FBI, our state law enforcement, and also the local law enforcement to bring an individual and identify and bring that person to justice.
Speaker 3: Governor Daniel McKee and other officials have said there's no clear security camera footage from the building where the shooting took place, and that has hampered the search. The FBI is offering fifty thousand dollars for information that leads to an arrest and conviction.
Speaker 2: Well, Nathan, let's get the latest now and the terror attack in Australia. Authority say early indications point the attack, which killed at least fifteen people at a Bondai Beach Honika celebration, was inspired by the Islamic State. Again, more on the information on the father and son attackers from Bloomberg's Angus Whitley in Sydney.
Speaker 8: They did travel to the Philippines last month, though it's not clear what they did there or where specifically they went. But they have found too homemade ISIS flags in a car they suspectly belonged to the two gunmen. And that's pretty much all they're willing to say. But in the in the update in the press conference this afternoon, they were really bombarded and want with questions because there's so many unanswered questions about the response to antisemitism, about the police presence. There was heavy enough for security.
Speaker 2: Heavy enough, and Bloomberg's Angus Whitley says. Labor Prime Minister Anthony Albinisi rejected criticism of his handling of escalating attacks, while urging Australians to rally around the Jewish community well Karin.
Speaker 3: The US military has attacked three more alleged drug boats, killing a total of eight people. US Southern Command says the strikes were carried out in the Eastern Pacific at the direction of Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth. The operation has raised questions about whether the strikes violate international law and whether the boats were actually carrying Fentanel Nathan.
Speaker 2: President Trump is suing the BBC for at least ten billion dollars over what he claims was a misleading edit in their documentary last year. The Eddie gave the impression the President made a direct call for violence in his speech ahead of the attack on the US Capitol on January sixth, twenty twenty one. Bloomberg'sy went Pos reports from.
Speaker 5: London donalds on Stephan.
Speaker 9: Lawsuit against the BBC was filed yesterday in federal court in Miami. The US President says he's suing the broadcaster for quote putting words in my mouth. The Panorama documentary made it appear that Trump told his supporters they should walk down to the Capitol and fight like hell. In fact, he said they should cheer on our brave senators and congressmen.
Speaker 10: And women.
Speaker 9: The fight like hell remark was from a much later part of the speech. Trump's lawyer claims the incident is part of the BBC's long standing pattern of manipulating President Trump's speeches. The BBC has previously apologized the President but rejected his demands for compensation, saying there is no basis for a defamation claim. In London, I'm you in parts Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay you and thank you. Let's turn now to the markets and the economy. Futures are lower ahead of some key economic data. Along awaited November jobs report that was not released on time due to the government shutdown finally comes out this morning. We get a preview now from Bloomberg's Michael McKee.
Speaker 11: This Job's report will be a bear for investors accustomed to making snap trades when the data are released. The usual bed is on the change in jobs and unemployment compared with expectations and the last release. But the last payrolls data we have is from September and we'll only get half of the October release. The household survey with unemployment figures will be missing because the data couldn't be collected. Add to that, uncertainty about government employment after doze firings and the government shutdown, that'll make analyzing the combined two month report difficult. Still, it will be data, and it will get a lot of attention on Wall Street, although the FED will likely put much more weight on this month's numbers. Reported on January ninth, Michael McKee Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Radio, all right, Michael, thank you, and company news. Ford Motor Company is taking nineteen and a half billion dollars in charges as it pulls back sharply from electric vehicles. The company says it overbuilt battery capacity and underestimated how hard it would be to make evs profitable. As part of the shift, the automaker is canceling a planned electric F series truck while shifting production toward gas and hybrid vehicles. Fords CEO Jim Farley spoke to Bloomberg.
Speaker 12: It was really the customer changing their decision. You know, we saw hybrid's really take off last couple of years, Like you know, last month about well, we had thirty percent increase in our hybrid sales. We're now number three in our I think we're eighty percent hybrid market share and trucks. So we saw this happening. We also saw the more expensive evs, you know, really suffering the market, and the more affordable evs to do better.
Speaker 2: For Its CEO Jim Farley, notes that the EV unit lost five point one billion dollars last year, with more red ink expected in twenty twenty five. Still, Ford raised its profit outlooks and cost cuts and a shift and more profitable vehicles are paying off. Get the full conversation on the Bloomberg Podcast channel on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Karen the nasdac's looking to extend trading hours on its stock venues to twenty three hours a day during the work week. The firm has asked the Security an Exchange Commission from Parission to add an additional trading session from nine pm to four am Eastern time. Other exchanges have also outlined their own paths to extend trading hours on their venues, including the New York Stock Exchange, which plans to offer twenty two hours a day of trading.
Speaker 2: Nathan and bi partisan group of senators is making a long shot bid to break a stalemate over healthcare subsidies, while also acknowledging that time has run out to pass legislation before the credits expire.
Speaker 9: At the end of the year.
Speaker 2: The political uncertainty surrounding the future of the covid era subsidies complicates matters for millions of consumers facing out of pocket costs doubling or more. If lawmakers can agree on a path forward. The current open at Roman period expires January fifteenth. House Minority Leader HOCKEYM. Jeffrey slammed his GOP colleagues for refusing to extend the credits from the very beginning.
Speaker 13: Republicans have made their intentions clear. They don't want to see the Affordable Care ACTAX credits extended because they don't support providing affordable healthcare to everyday Americans.
Speaker 2: AUS Minority Leader HOCKEYM. Jeffries Republican Senator Susan Collins, who's part of the bipartisan talk, says a vote could happen as soon as early next year. She says that could trigger a new or expanded open enrollment period for the Obamacare exchanges. Time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tucker, John good mordeh.
Speaker 14: And Good Morning Karen Hedge. Fund billionaire Stephen Cohen is among those winning formal approval to open casinos in New York City. That story this morning from Bloomberg's Charlie Pennett.
Speaker 10: It marks the first time in the city's modern history that full scale gambling parlors will operate legally in the Five Borrows. The decision by the New York State Gaming Commission culminates a decade long process to allow as many as three new casinos to be built in the city and its surrounding suburbs. That sets the stage for two project in Queens and one in the Bronx. State officials have estimated gaming revenue from the three casinos could reach five and a half billion by twenty thirty three in New York. Charlie Pellot Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 14: Leading Jewish groups in the United States are urging all Jewish organizations to increase security measures at public events as follows the deadly mass shooting in Australia. The APE says the groups advised that Jewish public events should be open only to people who had been screened after pre registering. President Trump says he's reclassifying fence and al and his latest push to ratchet up pressure on Latin America over a drug trafficking The Trump administration waide a similar designation in the president's first term, which allowed the Department of Homeland Security to access money for detecting and eliminating weapons of mass destruction if The Trump administration said in a court filing yesterday that the President's White House ballroom construction project must continue for unexplained national security reasons. The administration also says theist organization that wants to stop it, there's no standing. The filing was in a response to a lawsuit filed last Friday by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm John Tucker, and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: Thanks Sean time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in John stash Hour.
Speaker 15: Thanks Karen. Pittsburgh Steelers were down three ninety then scored twenty eight straight points and the Steelers beat the Dolphins and Mother Night Football twenty eight to fifteen. Aaron Rodgers a couple of touchdown passes. Pittsburgh scored three tds in a thirteen minute span of the second half at eight and six. They lead the Ravens by one game. NBA in Utah, the Jazz beat the Mads in overtime, but the Dallas rookie Cooper Flags scored forty two points. He's eighteen years old. He's the youngest in NBA history to score forty. The Knicks play the Spurs tonight in Las Vegas for the NBA Cup. That's for Bloomberg Sports Update.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio nationwide on Serious Exam and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business Apple. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 10: Good morning.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager. An end to the war is closer than ever before. That's what President Donald Trump is saying after the latest talks between US, Ukrainian and European negotiators on resolving the conflict with Russia. Ukrainian President Vladimir Lensky says he has an agreement with the US on security guarantees, but the issue of territory remains a sticking point.
Speaker 10: Nish BRUSHTI.
Speaker 16: Of course, not all aspects are simple. There are complicated things in particular the topic of territories. Undoubtedly everyone is raising this topic and it's important that we all work to ensure that things like that are absolutely fair.
Speaker 3: And that was Ukrainian President vladimir's Lenski speaking through an interpreter from Berlin joining us from Brussels this morning is Bloomberg Senior Europe correspondent Oliver Crook and all you not to put you on the spot, but is Ukraine closer than ever to a deal after these talks? Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean quite possibly they're closer than ever, but they've never really been close, so it may not be saying quite as much as the president has been saying. That being said, I think that the main thing that's changed over the last couple of weeks is the United States talking so openly and I think probably in greater detail about what a security guarantee for Ukraine would look like backed by the United States. For Zelenski, as far as he's concerned, these security guarantees are absolutely essential because it's one thing to have a cease fire, it's one thing to end the war, but what good is that if you're just going to get reinvaded in two to three years. So for him, it's really about creating an architecture and a mechanism by which if there is an invasion ever in the future, there is something there that is triggered that actually prompts action from NATO. And what they want is these Article five like guarantees. The Article five within the NATO clause is the one that is an attack on one is an attack on all. And the idea is there would be some sort of triggering mechanism that would enlist the efforts of NATO immediately, unlike what happened in twenty twenty two. If ever, there is another we should say that we do not have a clear expression of what Article five like actually means, but we do understand that they won this from the United States and that there would be Congress that would also enshrine this into law. And of course that's super important to the Ukrainians because they did have the Budapest Memorandum back in nineteen ninety four when the Ukrainians surrendered their nuclear arms, that massive deterrent in order to preserve their sovereignty that was guaranteed by the US and the Russians, that of course was violated.
Speaker 3: I guess this puts the ONUS now or the attention on how Russia could respond to this. Of course, Russia has been adamant against Ukraine joining NATO, But what about the idea of an Article five like provision for Ukraine. Is that something that Russia potentially could be on board with. So potentially, I mean, it depends how it's defined.
Speaker 5: Of course, the Article five like status of it from a defensive perspective is just you know that the US would say, why would you care Russia? If you know your attention is not to further in evade Ukraine, then then this should be something that doesn't bother you. What will bother the Russians. This is why it will not be a member of NATO Ukraine. That is is, they do not want to have NATO to have free access to go into Ukraine, to send troops, to send hardware at kind of whatever level they sort of they desire to. They also don't want Ukraine to get a seat at the table at the sort of NATO table in terms of governing policy. Potentially there is a way forward, but we should say that NATO is potentially the initial sort of instigating a reasoning for the invasion of Ukraine that the Russians have put forward saying that it's one of these sort of real reasons that they felt that NATO expansionism was really a threat to Russia. So this is a very delicate question, a very delicate balance to reach. But again the United States feels pretty confident that they understand both the positions of the Ukrainians and are trying to bridge it.
Speaker 3: Just thirty seconds left, Ollie, what about the territory issue? That does seem like it's still a pretty big sticking point. I think it's still the number one issue. It's still obviously a main contention point for the Russians and the Ukrainians. The Ukrainians have said they basically will not give up any additional territory to the Russians, though the Ukrainians seem to have potentially a little bit on that. The Russians, for their parts, say they don't even want to have a discussion about a ceasefire, let alone a peace agreement without the entirety of the Donbass being donated to the Russians and surrendered in some way. Again, the Americans are trying to sort of fudge that and to find the Free Economic Zone Demilitarized Zone, for example, but they have not found an agreement on that quite yet.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now in your face podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 3: And I'm Nathan Hager. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Day Ray