Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Oh, we got live football coming up tonight. A lot of interviews with Hall of Famers, new Hall of Famers, Old Hall of Famers, the new look Jets, the old look Browns.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't know, but the hype around it feels more like it's Jets related, even though Aaron Rodgers is not going to play. But I am really curious about Zach Wilson and that would be one of my focal points if I was doing Hard Knocks or one of the producers, I'd be like, I want to see what he sees when he watches Aaron Rodgers. I want to see what Aaron Rodgers is telling him or showing him. That would be fascinating to me because there's a big age difference there. Aaron Rodgers could be his dad, but is it like seventeen eighteen years difference. But you know, you know Jordan Loved, They knew that he the succession plan was already in place in Greenback. Aaron knew that that eventually Jordan Love takes over. There's no guarantee with Zach Wilson with the Jets, because if Aaron's going to play three years. Zach Wilson might not play again for the Jets barring an injury, and then what happens to him because there's so many quarterbacks. I mean, just this draft coming up, you got Caleb Williams and Drake May just to start. You're probably going to have four more first round draft picks here. If you don't prove yourself, you know early and often they move by, they move on quickly. Here. You know that's look at I mean, Josh Rosen, go back to him. It's like, all right, let me see what you got after one year. You know, we're going to draft Kyler Murray and that was one of the worst offensive lines I've ever seen. I don't know if Josh Rosen could play. I know he didn't get a fair shot in Arizona. There wasn't a whole lot of talent around him, and Arizona might be back in that situation again here coming up, Justin Fields has received a lot of praise and I wanted to do some research here. He was ranked ahead of Trevor Lawrence and the players voting on the top one hundred. Currently one of the more popular MVP bets right now and According to Points Bet Senior editor Max Meyer, Justin Fields has more MVP bets. Do you guys want to take a guess more MVP bets? Then I got three quarterbacks here, take a guess the quarterbacks who are behind him for bets for MVP.
Speaker 3: Pauline oh Man, Aaron Rodgers, he.
Speaker 2: Is behind him, Marvin, Justin Herbert, Justin Herbert, Yes, Todd, Josh Allen, Josh Allen. And if you said Patrick Mahomes, you would be night. Come on, Yes, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen and Justin Herbert Fields has more MVP bets than all of those guys combined.
Speaker 4: Howl stead of a day, stall of a day, stat of a day, Statuta day.
Speaker 2: This is the Stele of the day, Steat of to day. Brought to you by the great folks at Panini America. The official trading cards of the Dan Patrick show a quarterback has won the award ten consecutive seasons. He rushed for eleven hundred yards. Last year they brought in DJ Moore. But capturing an MVP won't be easy because DraftKings has fields over under passing yards twenty eight hundred and fifty yards and a half second lowest number. You want to guess the quarterback who has a lower over under for passing yards this year? Anybody? Anyboddy Paulie Baker Mayfield? No, Sorry, that would have been a good guess if you said, if he's rushing for eleven hundred yards, they're probably not going to be a playoff team. And if you factor this in as well, you gotta make the playoffs if you're going to be the MVP, So everybody can love justin fields. Are they better than the Lions? No? Are they better than the Vikings? No? I don't know if they're better than Green Bay. Is he going to make the playoffs? And if he does, what kind of numbers will he show?
Speaker 5: Yes, Mark, this has got to be a jail and hurts type situation where he's got to start the season out eleven and one twelve and one to get real consideration, not like, oh they're you know, nine and four, okay, Like he's got to do some like real damage in the NFC North.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's going to happen. Oh, neither do I. Yeah, but we saw that with Kyler Murray that he started out nine and one an MVP candidate and then the second half, they always folded. But I think that he's a good story. It's a unique story. I think you have to factor that in. But he's a unique talent, fascinating to watch. But I unless you think they're making the playoffs, then I don't want to hear about MVP because it won't happen. He won't win the MVP if they don't make the playoffs. I don't care what his numbers are.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: If he rushes for two thousand yards, all right, then maybe go back to when OJ rushed for two thousand yards. Now, you had a lot less teams who made the playoffs, and I think they won nine games that year. They may have been nine and five that year when they played fourteen games. That's still that's a very good you'd make the playoffs now. But if you're not winning nine or ten games, James, you're not winning an MVP. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 3: I think it's almost as more likely that Justin Fields could be replaced in the offseason as he could be MVP. Sure, they have two top ten draft picks. They got Carolina's top ten and they have their own. They they could have two top ten drafticks.
Speaker 2: I wonder what the odds are if you said MVP or is justin Fields going to be the quarterback next year? Now, you may still be the quarterback next year, but if they don't see enough, then maybe they draft a quarterback. Poll question seton what do we have here? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Dan, we got a couple up there right all right, first hour we had college football football that is, is currently heading in.
Speaker 8: A good direction or terrible direction?
Speaker 7: That's hold and steady at about seventy eight percent saying it's terrible. And then I put up would you rather play for Burnley or Birmingham City, which really means would you rather play for JJ Watt or Tom Brady? Right now, JJ Watt's got about sixty seven percent of the vote. I've seen some comments here where people are like, you know what, I don't really feel like getting screamed at, so I want to play for JJ Watt.
Speaker 2: Oh you think that Tom's gonna yell at the.
Speaker 8: Team throwing you know, iPads and stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, where JJ is a little more good ass dudish m okay. You know what's the pole question for the final hour? Uh?
Speaker 8: Well, I just put up the Burnley one.
Speaker 2: Oh oh you just did that? Okay, Okay, get some phone calls in here, David.
Speaker 9: The philosophy of this squad is off the field.
Speaker 2: We're good ass dudes, we're nice guys. We do the right thing.
Speaker 8: Well, good ass lads. You just have to change the terminology.
Speaker 10: That's yeah, we're good.
Speaker 2: R slots Dave and Nova Scotia. Good morning, Dave. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey, Dan? Get a little breaking news here for you, Jimmy Jimmerson style. I am guests here in Tampa for the Tampa Bay Bucks training camp and our guy John Woolford DP faithful breaking news. I think he's gonna be taking a starting job, Dan, he looked amazing today. Ran circles around trap and Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dave. Keep this updated on that the former Rams quarterback. Is he going to be the starting quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I don't think it takes a lot to be the starting quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this year. You got Kyle Trask and you have Baker Mayfield Junior the third Yeah, poem.
Speaker 3: I think Tampa would love to be awful this year, like terribly awful and have a top three draft pick. They seem like they're non threatening. Their roster's down a little bit compared to the quarterback situations way down. That's a team that would love to lose a lot.
Speaker 2: My Cincinnati Reds, they have not done well here second half of the season. They lost to the Cubs sixteen to six. They lost to the Cubs twenty to nine on Tuesday. I was curious, when's the last time a team gave up thirty six runs or more back to back games? Well, the Reds allowed thirty six or more in back to back games. The last time was nineteen oh Oneta the Day Stata The Day Day, Travis Meadow Stata the Day scat the Lovely Yeah. I didn't realize that we had that when Travis Meadow came in studio and we had him do a stat of the day. Great songwriter, Travis Meadow. Let's see MESSI had two goals last night.
Speaker 8: Three games, he assisted on three others.
Speaker 2: Help me understand this season? Boy? Okay, if you want to grow the game in the United States, oh dear, it's be behind a paywall, isn't it. Or app I like, I don't know how people can get this. You're going to get highlights on ESPN. But if you want to grow the sport, you have to make it more readily available. You have to make it easier for people to be flipping through and go, oh, I'm going to stop there and watch a little bit of this game instead of I'll just wait for the highlights because I don't want to spend the money on this or I don't even know how to find it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it kind of cuts both ways, right where if you were an MLS fan before you could get to watch your local teams, but now you can buy into a package that allows you to watch every game, which is great, but now you also you have to buy the package basically to watch I think there's one free game a week, or maybe a couple of free games a week, but other than that, everything is basically behind that paywall.
Speaker 2: You have to buy the package.
Speaker 7: So it does it freezes out a lot of people, but it does, you know, sort of force diehard MLS fans.
Speaker 2: To buy it. Yeah, but you want to grow the sport.
Speaker 8: YEA, theoretically you do.
Speaker 2: I'm not quite sure everybody sees it that way, but does MESSI get paid by everybody in the league.
Speaker 7: So the way I understand the MLS agreement or the way that their business structure works is that you know, say, in the NFL and you play for the Patriots, you're an employee of the Patriots, and you get a paycheck from the Patriots. In Major League Soccer, you're an employee of Major League Soccer, and you get your paycheck from Major League Soccer. So essentially, all of the teams in theory pay into one big pool, and then that money is then dispersed out to the players.
Speaker 3: Yes, could people worldwide sign up for Apple TV or whatever it is the package to watch MESSI like, if you're a worldwide soccer fan, you're not in America, I think, so that may be the bigger play. Yeah, for people who are just such big fans of his worldwide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you want to attract an audience in the United States, so they're going to games and not just messy games. I mean, you know, when you start talking about who's good in MLS, I don't know if people know any of these names unless you're a die hard fan. You want to have people at least be curious and go, oh, you know, I enjoyed that match or that player. I don't know if you can have that curiosity because it's not readily available. Let's see what else do we have you. I saw where Wilt Chamberlain's nineteen seventy two jersey is expected to go for at least four million dollars upcoming auction. Here the current record for a Wilt Chamberlain piece of sports memorabilia one point seventy nine. That was a jersey worn during his rookie season with the Philadelphia Warriors. But they have an online bidding that goes to September twenty seventh, and in that game he was playing with a broken hand. Wilt had twenty four points and twenty nine rebounds and was named the Finals MVP. But if you have four million dollars or at least more than four million dollars, and you want to add a Wilt Chamberlain nineteen seventy two jersey where he's named MVP, it could be yours.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, Is there a basketball piece of memorabilita that would go for more than that that you can think of?
Speaker 2: Like Michael Jordan stuff Jordan last Games, Last Jersey Wizards or Bulls Bulls Bulls game winning jumper in Utah. Yeah, Yeah, I'm all looking seef that's available. I would think the whole uniform. I don't think that. Once again, I was there getting ready to interview Phil Jackson when Jordan came in and he took off his shoes and autographed his shoes after that shot. I know he doesn't have those, but I'm guessing those shoes. I think people would rather have Michael's shoes from the last game with the Bulls than the jersey.
Speaker 3: Yes, Pauline, Okay, here it is. We're going to play the Michael Jordan game. The jersey warned Michael Jordan Game one of the NBA Finals in ninety eight, so it's not even game six. Game one sold for more than any other sports piece of memorabilia all time. The record holder was Diego Maradona's Hand of God jersey the eighty six World Cup. Jordan's jersey from Game one against the Jazz sold for what who wants to go first? Five million, Marvin seven million, Fritzy six point three million, Seaton.
Speaker 8: Lowered a three point five million.
Speaker 3: Ten point one million dollars.
Speaker 2: That was last year, Okay, But Jordan's shoes I think would probably bring bring a better price than his jersey from the last game that that last game with the Bulls, because people are infatuated with his shoes, that you would want to have the last pair of shoes that Jordan was playing in as a Chicago Bull, I would, But those, I mean, it's only going up. You know a lot of this memorabilia. Yes, Marv, if you.
Speaker 5: Have that in your possession and you're okay, do you just say, you know what, let me wait another ten years so this can go up even more in value.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I guess it depends on when if you need the money. And I'm sure you're watching the market here as far as what memorabilia is going for. But if you said you had Michael Jordan's shoes from his last game as a Bowl, you're sitting on ten million dollars probably maybe more. Yeah. Point Yeah.
Speaker 3: Game two shoes of Jordan from his last finals with the Bulls did go for a couple as up for sale right now, and you're expecting at least three million. But that's Game two. Jordan wore a different pair of shoes for all six games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Now, I was there. I got to see that twice where he signed his shoes after winning Championships got to see that first hand, and even one of the guys who got the shoes got to see it firsthand. So if anybody ever goes, hey, are you sure that that guy got there? YEP, I saw it right in front of me, got Phil Jackson to my right. Jordan comes in jerseys out cuban cigar, soaked with champagne and had the game ball with him and took off his jerseys, his shoes. They should say, yes, bun.
Speaker 3: Remember when Jordan was having trouble selling that house in Chicago for like twenty million bucks. Yeah, it's too bad he didn't have like a nice pair of shoes from Game five of his last final to say, this comes with the house, so you get the house and then you could do whatever you want with the shoes, like like a three couple million bucks inside the house. Yeah, you know, granted countertops game six shoes.
Speaker 2: Ooh.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he spiced up the sale with that, but that would been cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think there's probably certain Jordan's like the Shrug game, like where are those Jordans at? Like the Portland series, Yeah, we hit the was that sixty three points in the first half? Like there's certain Jordans from certain games. Obviously the Flu Game. You know, those went for a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Food poisoning. Oh yeah, sorry, food poisoning, correct, you know, food poisoning in parenthesy. The Flu Game.
Speaker 3: Shoes sold for one point three eight million last year.
Speaker 2: But then that's a bargain.
Speaker 3: It appears that might be a bargain.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely if the game won's your shoes are going for a couple of million.
Speaker 3: The guy who got the Flu Game shoes initially sold them like fifteen years ago for one hundred and four thousand dollars, and just a couple of years ago they sold again for one point three eight and they're gonna get they're not gonna get less expense.
Speaker 2: Well, that's three or four million dollars. That's one of the most famous games in NBA history. Ana was during the finals. Yes, it feels.
Speaker 7: Almost interesting that those aren't in a museum somewhere and that they're out in circulation or something, you know, just based on how the lore of Michael Jordan, you know, you're.
Speaker 2: Right about that, And how do you display that or do you display that? I mean, I don't know what you can do.
Speaker 5: That's in a safe somewhere, you.
Speaker 2: Think, But don't you get those things to be able to show people? Hey, look at what I have and you don't. I mean, is it an? Is it?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 2: I suppose? But is it enough to go? Uhyay? By the way, I got Jordan's shoes from his last game of the Bulls. Hey, where are they?
Speaker 6: Ah?
Speaker 2: They're in the safety to pass a box? No, I don't care if you've got a Picasso. Let me see the Picasso. Yeh see, But.
Speaker 7: Do you get the uh? Well, maybe a piasto is a bad example. Right, But I'm kind of taking your words a little bit here. But isn't aren't you supposed to invest in art? I think they're your words. Yes, you buy what you like, not what you.
Speaker 8: Think is going to be valuable. Yes, right, yes, So I would.
Speaker 7: Imagine that some people who collect art buy what they think is going to be valuable.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: You could do the same thing with sports memorabilia. You can you know, uh you know, Jym seat used that like a seat in hall game might mean a lot to me, but it doesn't really mean anything to anybody else. So you buy that, whereas the Jordan sneakers you buy that as a business investment some people.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, yes, yes, Tom.
Speaker 12: Everything's about showing it up to a certain extent.
Speaker 10: If you're the only person on the planet, would it be especial if you were driving around in a fancy car or you were in a suit with bling all over.
Speaker 12: Who would care you're the only one.
Speaker 10: It's all about other people seeing you in the car and checking out your bling.
Speaker 12: I always think of that when people are like, no, I like to have it, but I don't need to show it off. But if you're the only person on the planet, you would be acting very differently than others checking you out back to you in the studio.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ton, I thought that's what I said, that you know you have it? Yeah, I was rethinking.
Speaker 12: I was trying to be more dramatic about the only person on the planet.
Speaker 2: You don't need to Yeah. That that one that felt like it was a little bit of hyperbole. Let me take a break. It's no hyperbole that the PAC twelve is on the verge of a seismic shift, in my opinion. We'll talk a little bit more about that coming up. We're back after this in the Dan Patrick Show. Innovation refunds helping small businesses, and I love being able to help you. Tell you about this. The Employee Retention Credit, also known as the ERC. These are business payroll tax refunds. If you own a business with more than five employees, you could be eligible for this. You could have money waiting for you. And it's a tax credit, not alone, and it gives eligible business owners the freedom to use that refund money however they want to. Innovation Refunds. Independent tax attorneys will assist you in filing your business's ERC tax refund. A provider of children health services in Iowa paid bonuses with it. An ice cream shop in Illinois bought new freezers. A mortuary in Riverside, California even renovated their chapel with ERC money. People are getting this money Innovation Refunds dot com. See if you qualify. There's no charge up front. They don't get paid unless you get paid. Call one eight four three Refunds one eight four to three refunds or go to Innovation Refunds dot Com. Thanks for listening to the Dan Patrick Show. Pots be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Award winning Irish American Whiskey brings the rich heritage of Irish and American whiskey making together. It's a whole new world style. The smoothness and richness of Irish whiskey and the boldness and complexity of American whiskey. A unique drinking experience like no other. From the master distiller who gave us Jamison. Brian Nation brings you keeper's heart. Ask for It eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com. I've been saying this over the last forty eight hours, and I'm not a sky's falling guy, but you know, we're on the verge of something changing college football, and I don't know how much, but it feels like it's going to be reshaped here, or at least we're on the verge of this. And Canzano great columnist Johnconzono dot com radio host on seven fifty AM in Portland and certainly covering the PAC twelve and I wanted to have you on because I don't know if you feel this same way, John, but it feels like the PAC twelve is in peril and the question is what can you do? So where do we stand now? Eleven thirty am Eastern.
Speaker 13: Yeah, last night, I think everybody was sending out the Amber alert and really looking at the Arizona Schools, Arizona, Arizona State. Anytime the regents meet, there's buzz buzz buzzing in the PAC twelve footprint. And they're going to meet later today tonight, early this evening, and I think a lot of people last night expected that Arizona and Arizona State would leave the conference. I reached out to a member of the PAC twelve CEO group this morning who told me that there was some enthusiasm internally with the PAC twelve. Now I'm pumping the brakes. I'm rolling my eyes a little bit because I've heard this all throughout this negotiation. But what I was told is that the Arizona Schools are really looking hard at the University of Oregon. Today, Oregon is expected to get a reduced share. Invitation to the Big Ten conference could come as soon as this morning, midday to day. You know, we know that the Big Ten has opened that that conversation internally, and I think there's a lot of eyes on Oregon. Oregon appears to be the glue right now in the conference because the Arizona schools are saying that if Oregon stays, If Oregon chooses to stay in the PAC twelve, there might be something there for the Arizona schools. That media deal that George Koliovkov finally presented earlier this week, I think was underwhelming to a lot of people. From a financial standpoint, it appears that there seems to be now maybe an added layer to this. I don't know. I don't know if more money came in. I don't know if a new partner came in. But you know, I was told that a big part of this now hinges on the University of Oregon.
Speaker 6: S.
Speaker 2: You know, Phil Knight has his money behind, you know, the Oregon program. I don't know how much of an enticement the Big ten saying hey, come over here, you can make this amount of money. Plus if you're Oregon, don't you look at this and say this opens the door with UCLA or certainly usc out the door that we can qualify right now for the national chance we can win the PAC twelve. No matter who's still left, this is an easier path than if we go to Big ten.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Oregon is such an interesting figure here because they're not like others. They're not like the other Pack twelve schools, They're not like a lot of the universities nationally. They have thrived at a time when the other Pack twelve schools were underfunded, you know, because of Phil and Penny Knight.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 13: I reached out to Phil Knight earlier this week and the response I got back is that he wasn't ready to talk because he was going to say something he might regret, you know. And I was like, that's the ideal time exactly. But you're right, You're absolutely right. Rob Mullens, the athletic director at Oregon, he told me multiple times just a week ago, told me that access to the playoff is what matters to the Ducks. And now the University of Washington looks over at Oregon. They want to be alongside Oregon, and if Arizona and Arizona State do, if they're being real about wanting to be in this conference, and I think the decision really comes down to the next twenty four to thirty six hours with the Oregon Ducks, will they decide that they're better off not competing against Ohio State and Michigan and Penn State and every being in USC and UCLA and the Big Ten and having an easier path to the playoff. Or will they take what everyone thinks is the future of college football and jump to a conference of eighteen or twenty.
Speaker 2: How'd the PAC twelve get here?
Speaker 13: Sure, let's go back, I mean ten twelve years. Larry Scott, the commissioner of the PAC twelve. He did some good things early, but his media deal was outdated. They never should have been a media company. They tried to own and operate the PAC twelve networks. They should have had a media partner. We all know now that television is running the show in college football. It's really unfortunate to see what TV has done to tradition and kickoff times and rivalries, and you know, the the bifurcation of all the conferences that you know, the Fox can say all they want that, you know, hey, we're not behind all of this, but the money is there, and we all know what's driving all of the expansion and the realignment. But I think the PAC twelve made some terrible miscues in the Larry Scott Era. I think George Kayofkoff came through the door. He should have been more tuned in to UCLA and USC being unhappy. That should have been job one. Even if they're they're telling you to your face they're happy, Hey, we're happy, we're good here. He should have been camping in the front yard at USC and making sure of it. And then, you know, I think the media landscape has shifted. We've all seen the layoffs and we've seen that industry hit hard, and I think it's a terrible time to be negotiating. I think it's just really unfortunate for the PAC twelve and PAC twelve fans.
Speaker 2: More importantly, Yeah, I thought Arizona, it felt like Arizona Arizona State are waiting for somebody else, some other school to secede from the Union then they can go to the Big twelve. So if Washington and Oregon said, you know, we're going to the Big ten, then Arizona Arizona State would go, well, we're going to the Big twelve. But I'm also wondering who do they add, because I was told all along San Diego State was joining us, you know, they were joining the PAC twelve. I just told, you know, Boise, the you know, sort of a novelty that wouldn't happen. SMU was, you know a possibility. So can the Big twelve if they lose schools, reshape and still be the PAC twelve.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the easiest thing today would be, hey, they hold at nine, they add San Diego State. You know, I did inquire, you know, how would the thirty four million dollar exit fee at the Mountain West conference work. I was told that there's some financial flexibility that the PAC twelve would offer there. Maybe they subsidize it. Maybe you know, San Diego State takes a lower distribution as they enter the conference. I was also told from a Mountain West Conference president that the Mountain West might be willing to negotiate. That nobody wants to end up in litigation over these things. They're all negotiable. Even though thirty four million dollars is the number that's your starting point, I think you could get there. But you know the easiest answer is stay at nine at San Diego State. But it becomes critical today.
Speaker 1: If you lose.
Speaker 13: Oregon, you're going to lose Washington, and you're going to lose the Arizona schools. And you have to be able to trust each other at a time when nobody can trust each other. Dan, Dan, they're all pirates. They're all pirates, and they're planning chess. Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you as always, John, Thank you, thank you. That's John Gonzano, columnist and radio host at seven fifty AM in Portland, Brent in Alabama. The fact that there are meetings going on tonight at six pacific. There's some serious conversations going on here.
Speaker 14: Hey, Brent, Hey, guys love the show. Yeah, college football lots changing. I'm trying to see where all this is going, because you know, a lot of people are saying this guy's falling. But the biggest thing to me, if you follow the money, is, first of all, you got to start back with the playoffs.
Speaker 9: In order to.
Speaker 14: Compete for the championship. You couldn't lose more than one or two games a year, right, So what would happen was big schools, the big brands would schedule Roast Beast Tech two or three times a year to give them essentially a bye week or something like that. It was a good thing, good move for the big schools because they got a little bit of a risk before they played a big rivalry game and the small schools got a big payday. They got the bank roll, not just their football program, but they got the bank roll their entire athletic program. Well, now that we're in a twelve team playoff, and as this consolidation continues, the pressure there's not going to be as much pressure for these teams to only lose zero or one or two games. They can lose two or three games and still compete for a national championship and a big Bowl game. So what happens to roastby Tech and all of these others schools? Because if I follow the money, if I'm Alabama, why would I play Roast Beef Tech two or three times a year instead of all conference games? Which is something that even Nick Saban has said, I want to play all conference games, but they just know it's been impossible in the past. So you lose that money, Roast Beef Tech, all of these small schools are gonna I mean, what happens to them? I'd love to get your feedback on that, because I don't see how any of these smaller kid programs can survive without that money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't think these other schools really care about that. It's survival of the fittest right now. And you did have these schools that did get this opportunity to be sacrificial lambs or as you called them, roast beef tech. But you know, Georgia wants to have that tune up game or a couple of tune up games, or you know, a game after a tough game before they have another tough game. I just think we're headed towards maybe the top fifty revenue produce seeing football programs getting together and then they just schedule each other. You have certain divisions, and certain divisions each year will play a different division around the country, and then you'll have X number of teams qualifying for the playoffs, just like you do the NFL. You're going to pay the players. You know, maybe they unionize, and you can't say, well, that can't happen, because it can't happen everything. Look at college football. If I would have said ten years ago, this is going to happen. Name, image and likeness, you'd be like, there is no way. Now there's name, image and likeness, and doesn't you know it's there for the foreseeable future. Do you make them salaried employees like you can't say it can't happen with college football because I can't trust the people who are involved with college football. Everybody wants theirs. Are they thinking about the greater good? No, they're not. Tim and Boca. Hi Tim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Dan An?
Speaker 11: I'd just like to I'm just making a prediction here because I see it coming. I drive a drive uber and not too long ago, I dropped off of a real estate agent up in Jupiter and he said he's meeting the famous person Dan Best buying a house. Come to find out it's Nick Saban. Un predicted, Nick Saban will retired within two years. You don't buy a house in Jupiter and keep working. Have you ever been to Jupiter, Florida?
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Tom. Would I be surprised that Nick Saban retires before I do? Yeah, he'd like to steal a little bit of the shine. He's seventy one. I get it. Here's another thing. I would love to know what USC was promised by the Big ten and follow me on this. Hey, we'll join. We don't want these schools from the PAC twelve to join. Want to own Southern California. We want assurances here. And I'm wondering the only other school you're worried about if I'm USC is Oregon. Was there any you know, handshake wink wink assurances that and you have a new Big Ten commission, so I don't know if it would be still there part of the agreement. And maybe I'm just speculating on this, but if I'm USC, do I want assurances you're not taking other PAC twelve teams that I can recruit here for the Big Ten and not have to share everybody you know with the PAC twelve. Just yeah, everything's on the table. And the number of people I've heard from who are in college football or they follow college football, like everybody has some kind of theory, speculation, rumor innuendo with this. It's wild, but Oregon could change college football today or tomorrow or over the weekend if they stay or if they go, who stays, who goes? Oregon could change college football. It's that fluid with what's going on. Wild All right, take a break, last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow? Right after this. I love saying it. I love reminding you that every great day starts the night before. You know what that means, getting a great night's sleep, and you can do this with our friends from Sleep Number Sleep next level. Unlock your unique potential with a smart bed that can perform as well as you and right now save up to five hundred dollars on the next generation Sleep number smart bed plus special financing for a limited time adjustable bases that have two beds in one. The partner snore, they can take care of that as well. My Sleep Number seventy five. Ask about sleep iq technology. You want to see how well you're sleeping your sleep quality smart beds learn how you sleep and then provide personalized insights to help you sleep better and sleep longer and deeper. And couples can choose the ideal firmness, comfort and support on each side, so it's two beds in one. Get started. Go to a sleep number store or go to sleep number dot com slash Patrick Sleep number dot com slash Patrick c store for details. Thanks for listening to the Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 12: HI, this is Jay Laser.
Speaker 4: And you may know me for the world of football or fighting or even shows like HBO's Ballers. Well you don't know is for my entire life. I have lived in something I refer to as the Great Depression anxiety. So now I'm coming out with a new podcast, Unbreakable, a mental health podcast with Jay Laser, where each week, while we talk about mental health, I hope to just give it words. Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls? What we learn? What's in store tomorrow? This day in sports history? What will the headline be off tonight's game Brown's Jets? Who wants to guess what the headline will be tomorrow? Nationally not locally, Marvin, I'll start with you.
Speaker 5: Jet sore to an impressive win?
Speaker 2: Jets sore? Okay, Todd, what about.
Speaker 12: You Brown out Jets by thirty?
Speaker 2: By thirty seems a little aggressive, Paulie.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, I'm aspire full. Chubb Brown's fans excited about upcoming season.
Speaker 2: A bad, Nick Chubb, that was Fritzy liking.
Speaker 3: You know, I like that one. I stand by it.
Speaker 2: You're sitting right now, Paulieu Seaton, you got one.
Speaker 8: Nathaniel can't hack him.
Speaker 10: Segue Hall of Shames, like three jets, just a couple of field goals.
Speaker 2: Okay, fine with dad. Here's something for you. The last MVP winning quarterback to throw for fewer than three thousand yards in a season. So it just if Justin Fields is going to win the MVP as a lot of people, so he has more people betting on him than Mahomes and Herbert and Josh Allen combined. But it's a better money play the odds. I get that. Okay. So the last MVP winning quarterback to throw for less than three thousand yards nineteen seventy eight, Terry Bradshaw, Lamar Jackson threw for thirty one hundred when he won, Steve McNair thirty two hundred when he won CAM thirty eight hundred, Tom Brady thirty nine hundred, Peyton Manning just over four thousand yards. Justin Fields he threw for twenty two hundred yards last year and rushed for eleven hundred yards. So just some MVP stuff. There By the way, Sean Payton, he is pleased with Russell Wilson's progress so far.
Speaker 6: It's hard because there were a lot of other factors a year ago, and we're really focused on what he's doing within the offense. Obviously, he's moving around well, his weights down, he's in real good shape. He's working really hard. You know, there are a lot of nuances still we're working through. You know, there's some good things in the running game today. Each day, you know, you kind of look at the film and you start again with the corrections. But I've been pleased with his progress and where he's at really dating back to the offseason into where we are now into our first full week.
Speaker 2: You know, it'd be really interesting if he said he wasn't progressing. I'm guessing that Sean Payton was still trying to protect Russell Wilson, attacked Nathaniel Hackett and then realized what he was doing, and that's how he got to this point. He's trying to, you know, pump up Russell Wilson. And also he wasn't the sole reason why this team wasn't good last year. That's the feeling I had with all of this, It's just uh, there was there was a problem with the exit execution there for Sean Payton, a little bit of a problem and what the message was in Helene.
Speaker 8: I just want to apologize to coach because he was right. This seems terrible.
Speaker 2: James in Colorado, Hey, James, what's on your mind today? Hey?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 15: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I can. I can hear you. James.
Speaker 15: Hey, Hey, Hey, I'm in New Hampshire. I'm a New Hampshire born and bred boy, but I'm just here the first time long time, and I appreciate you taking my call and I'm let's see six to two two, twenty to ten fighting Wait, I'm calling in frivolity. I appreciate your sports knowledge and your sportscasting, and you know, hopefully I can put some meat on your bone for today. I'm a Danner, I'm not a swifter, and the dan Nets are included in that. And I will be because of you in Dublin on the twenty second, So I totally look forward to that.
Speaker 2: All righty, when James is gonna follow us over there to Dublin road trip, road trip, come on over and if you're in Dublin for the game Notre Dame and Navy. We'll put it out on social media, so we'll let you know. I know, we got something on Wednesday night of that week that we'll get together and if you can join us at a pub, then we'll let you know where we're going to be. We look forward to that. Tom in North Carolina. Hi, Tom, Hey, DP heybu Hey.
Speaker 16: Yeah, this is a reference in uh Todd's performance tomorrow night. You know all the great ones they you know, Jordan Brady, they all draw motivation from different places. They manufacture it. Uh So Todd's probably he's probably worried about more about the aftermath of what's gonna happen on Tomorrow night. So as far as his motivation, uh, there, it's gonna be kind of maybe a risk equals reward kind of thing. You know, maybe a Todd Fritz day. You know, maybe even a hug from Polly.
Speaker 2: Oh that ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Oh that's not true.
Speaker 2: A hug.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be very proud of Fritzy when he pulls us on. I think he's gonna crush it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 3: It's like I gave you a hug that one movie you did where lived? I thought you crushed it? Yeah, I thought you crushed it. I gave you a hug. It was a dark theater.
Speaker 2: No one saw it, I know.
Speaker 3: But like Fritzy tomorrow, I want him to crush it.
Speaker 2: Okay, who thinks Paulie wants Todd to crush it tomorrow?
Speaker 8: Give me Paullie, Sean Payton, I mean.
Speaker 2: Todd thinks. Do you think Paulie wants you to crush it tomorrow?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, man, are you foolish? Works either way for me this day in sports history, Paulie is.
Speaker 3: A big one. Jesse Owens nineteen thirty six won the first of his four Olympic gold medals in Berlin. That may just stand alone, but nineteen forty nine the NBA was formed merger between the Basketball Association of America and the National Basketball League. Nineteen eighty four, Mary lou Rettin won her first gold medal at the LA Summer Olympics.
Speaker 2: Right on this day. Nineteen eighty seven, Joe Nicro of the Twins caught with a nail file on the mound. He was suspended for ten games.
Speaker 7: That the greatest video of all times, like what like he put his hands up like I don't have anything there, and then the nail file comes out there, like watching.
Speaker 12: The umpire's head turned towards it as it hit the grounds, the batching it fly.
Speaker 2: Oh, Cash's so good, Todd, what'd you learn today?
Speaker 10: The sky may not be falling in college football, but it's certainly moving.
Speaker 7: No Conn, Oregon holds the future of college football in the palm of its name.
Speaker 5: Marvin, would you learn TV ruins the ruin the conference?
Speaker 2: Yes, Paulie full Chubb p XG's new Gen six drivers so good. Will bet it's better than yours. Test drive our new Gen six driver. If it doesn't deliver more distance than yours, will give you one hundred dollars. Join the Gen six Driver Challenge PXG dot com. Nobody makes golf clubs the way we do. Period. Thanks for joining us and our pleasure to serve you. We got to meet Friday tomorrow and we'll talk to you then.