Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center. Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty Armstrong and Getty and know he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: With that fire danger looming, families in southern California are shell shot and worried a new inferno could break out. They've got everything prepared. You can see the monumental amount of resources of fire truck here, one tucked in there, another one.
Speaker 3: In that driveway five six, and.
Speaker 2: On down almost every block as fire trucks here in this canyon. We spoke with La County Fire Chief Anthony Broni. There is another Santa Ana wind event.
Speaker 1: Forecast for next week.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, the La County Fire Department's going to be ready.
Speaker 1: So the farks continue and hopefully the word of it is over in terms of creating more damage. If you're if you lost everything, the worst of it is not over. You're it's still in the middle of the worst of it, and you might be in the worst of it for a very long time. Then you got the weird situations we were talking about a little bit ago about neighborhoods. We know a few people like this where everything is gone except for your house for whatever reason. And uh, how weird that would be if you're the one house in the block that survived, or you're you're you're the part of the homes where the fire stopped for some reason, but everything next to it and the neighborhood has gone, and so you're surrounded by you know, it looks like Gaza, your local gas station and grocery stores burnt down. Your kid's school is gone. I mean, it's not near the same neighborhood you used to live in, even though your house is still there. I'd be that'd be wild. How many years before that comes back?
Speaker 5: Well, and you're living in a burnout healthscape and yeah, I don't know what the air quality is going to be. And then there is going to be eventually never ending clearing of row I mean, oh my god, eighteen hours a day, and then never ending infrastructure repair and construction, like you're living in the middle of a brand new subdivision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, just it's unthinkable.
Speaker 5: And the rebuilding, of course, no matter your imagination, you cannot fully imagine the just the suffering and the annoyance and the stress.
Speaker 1: A lot of pressure already on the government to streamline making that easier, and Gavin Newsom's done away with a lot of the permits and environmental regulations and everything like that. Reason Magazine tweeted out yesterday, they're the libertarian outfit. If removing permit and review processes will help California communities recover faster and stronger after the wildfires, wouldn't there permanent removal help the state deal with its housing shortages? Of course, pretty impossible to counter that thought.
Speaker 5: Wow, yeah, it's it's ridiculous. California's problems are entirely of its own making.
Speaker 1: Oftentimes things are so Bill Burr, comedian, was on Jimmy Kimmel last night. This gets into a topic we've covered quite a bit, but we'll cover it again in case you don't understand it yet. How is Bill Burr the father the husband in an emergency situation? I don't know. I'm all right, I'm alright. When big stuff happens, I get ridiculously calm my achilles, heel stop that. Sorry, we need six, not seven. I don't know why we get some six.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they are talking about looting, but CNN and Fox News are not going to bring up the insurance companies that are just going to keep everybody's.
Speaker 3: Premiums and still give themselves a bonus.
Speaker 1: Free Luigi.
Speaker 3: They acted surprise, Why did that happen? I have no he wrote on the bullets, why it happened?
Speaker 1: Oh we're back to Luigi.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, I never left Luigi.
Speaker 1: Wow. The hilarity ensues around Luigi the Murderer. Wow. And the crowd thought it was funny. A crowd just nah.
Speaker 5: Of course they might have been shocked. Sometimes people laugh whim shocked. Kimil thought it was hilarious. Bill Burr obviously thinks it's good material for his crowd. I like, I'm a Bill Bill Burr fan, but again, just so everybody sends it. And I have been screwed by a number of insurance companies and I'm sure I will be again.
Speaker 1: In my life, it has always seemed to me that you pay your whole life, and then when you need them, they either drop you or raise the rates enough to cover how much they just gave you. I mean, that's been like mostly my experiences. So I'm not, you know, all about helping out the insurance companies. But in California they passed a law that you were not allowed to raise your premiums, even though with inflation and all kinds of other things happening throughout the pandemic in the last four years, it costs so much more to fix your house. There was just no mathematical way they could continue to be in business in California. If it costs, you know, one and a half times what it used to cost to fix your house, they can't charge the same premium. Obviously it doesn't work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, costs your up seventy percent. You can raise your premiums ten percent. We're leaving, was the answer, right, appropriately, Right.
Speaker 1: It's the biggest market in America, might even be statistically the world California for insurance companies, and all the big companies left because it didn't make mathematical sense anymore.
Speaker 3: Free Luigi, Yeah, talk.
Speaker 1: About looters, talk about the insurance companies, says Bill Burr. I just wish more people understood that, so we could come to some sort of Okay, the insurance companies, I hate them too, but let's figure out what they should be doing in a fair world where they're allowed to function well, and the things that they do that are indefensible, then regulations can reasonable regulations can be put in place and are in place to prevent that sort of screwing. Actually, in terms of consumer friendliness, California is very much insurance wise to the point of absurdity, driving all the companies out of the state for political purposes.
Speaker 3: It's just not realistic as usual.
Speaker 1: That Free Luigi thing and the reaction of Jimmy Kimmel. I'm trying to think, has there been anything like that that I can think of in my life?
Speaker 5: A cold blooded murder of a husband and father celebrated because people don't.
Speaker 3: Like his company. I don't know. Wow, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Troubling Bill Burr is a comedian who primarily, you know, performs for youngish people and is irreverent and says things he might not necessarily believe to get a rise.
Speaker 3: I get what comedy is.
Speaker 5: But seriously, now, if we were to accept that any industry that.
Speaker 3: Had a history of activity that.
Speaker 5: Most consumers resent their executives open season for their murder.
Speaker 1: Airlines shoot the shoot the guy runs southwest, shoot him in the street. Yeah, I hate the way they treated me all these years. United Airlines, whatever hospital serves, you know that the doctor's companies. Rennakarker whatever, whatever company you don't like, the phone company, pharmaceuticals.
Speaker 3: You think of dozens of them.
Speaker 1: Now you're electric bill. Yeah, obviously there's the endless list of companies you're not really pleased with. You don't get to murder them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there are a lot of good people trying to do better within those companies, and you might murder one of them.
Speaker 1: Plus murder is wrong anyway. Uh Well, once you start down that road. We've had this discussion ever since the murder. Once you start down that road, it's all over.
Speaker 5: It's all over civilization. You may yes, it's crazy wild West. You're you're living in uh. I don't know where's lawless the Sudan.
Speaker 1: So a couple of factoids for you, uh borrows. Homes burned down are still on the hook for monthly mortgage payments in the long run, even though there is not a house there, but many will get temporary relief. Homeowners usually have the option to pause mortgage payments for as much as a year if they are impacted by a natural disaster.
Speaker 3: Have you heard anybody even take a.
Speaker 5: Wild guess as to the average time till the rebuilding of the average home in Los Angeles?
Speaker 1: I haven't. I haven't even heard of speculation. But like you tell me, off the top of your head, off the top of my head, if I just lost my house, I'm thinking it's two or three years before I live in a home on that spot.
Speaker 5: Again, what do you think, Oh, that's a minimum, Yeah, minimum fare minimum.
Speaker 1: I mean there are only so many contractors, right, It'd be so long from now. I wouldn't even really be thinking about it because I'd know that for years I'm living somewhere else, So I got to figure out what that is with the schooling and my work and everything else.
Speaker 5: I would agree, I can't even imagine what it's gonna be like to sort this out.
Speaker 1: And just as an aside, I also don't know about you, but I would be looking into some sort of situation where I'm gonna try to buy a new house somewhere else and start my life and then when that gets built, sell it or something. I mean, what are you gonna put your life on a hold and go back there?
Speaker 3: I guess a lot of people are right. I can't.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine how you deal with it, honestly, very obviously a person of person, but it's it's to call it disruptive is not nearly enough. Some of the most famous real estate in the world burnt to the ground. There was that mansion, that hilltop mansion that cost fifty million dollars to build over a dozen years, whatever it was, and it's sold for eighty three million or something like that.
Speaker 3: I can't remember.
Speaker 5: It's got a name, Jimmy the house, I don't know. I don't name my houses. I should, though it's classic.
Speaker 3: But that place is ruined. It's done, it's burnt.
Speaker 1: All sorts of ten twenty seventy million dollar houses are just gone. Tony. I heard a story from somebody yesterday. I didn't know this was a thing. Somebody whose friend their house survived. The firefighters got there, came in, took all the furniture out of the living room that was made out of wood and threw it in their pool, and then hosed down the walls with some sort of fire retardant and went to the next house and then the house. The house survived the flames coming by that interesting. I didn't know that was a thing.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the best case, and that's going to be horrendous. I didn't know it. Repairs there new placements.
Speaker 5: And in the context of the other two hundred and seventy five houses in your little development there are gone, and they're trying to hire contractors, repair people.
Speaker 3: And the rest of it, I can't even imagine.
Speaker 5: No anyway forbearans is what they call pausing your mortgage payments for a certain amount of time. Mortgage companies are required to offer it on the roughly forty percent of mortgages backed by Fanny Mae and Freddie Mack. Loans backed by the FAHA and the VA have similar guidance. Loans that do not have federal backing, like jumbo mortgages, may also be eligible for for barants. That depends on mortgage companies that service these loans.
Speaker 1: But if you were not eligible for this, so you go. You got to keep taking making your house payment for that three to five years we were talking about while you're living renting a place.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, and residents whose homes were damaged or destroyed might also be eligible for property tax relief. But paying a mortgage and property tax on a pile of ash wife one more somewhat sobering headline. Right south West's pilots would like to listen to this sobriety seems to be a bit of a challenge.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's unfair.
Speaker 5: A little noticed rule change last year by California's insurance regulator will likely shift a large chunk of the cost of the LA wildfires two homeowners.
Speaker 3: Across the state.
Speaker 5: Pushed by insurers, the change puts California homeowners on the hook to pay directly toward the cost of rebuilding from very large disasters, even though fatter insurance built I'm sorry through fatter insurance bills, whether they were exposed to the LA fire or not. Dave Jones, former California insurance commissioner, who was not a crook unlike the current cabal, says that would be a huge wake up call for Californian is because they have no idea that the rules have changed. The new policy effects the backstop for California's Fare Plan, which is the insurer of last resort because so many thousands and thousands and thousands of homeowners in cal Unicornea can't get coverage because the aforementioned bad rules. So the rule change means insurance companies can build their customers if they're forced to bail out the plan, which has an estimated two hundred million dollars in cash and two point five million billion dollars in reassurance, which is not going to be nearly enough to cover their share of the losses from the fires.
Speaker 3: That could be double or triple.
Speaker 1: So all of our insurance is going to go up.
Speaker 3: Skyrocket probably nice. I know.
Speaker 1: Looking for good news somewhere else.
Speaker 3: We'll keep looking and get back to you.
Speaker 1: The ceasefire deal decent chance it falls apart. If you haven't heard the latest, explain that among other things on the way. You know, one of the best things about being a next big leaguer is getting preties to the game call the front office bingo, and.
Speaker 4: Once these fans recognize me, I probably won't even have to pay for my life pere from Miller.
Speaker 1: I love them, these fans.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I drink white because it's less pilling and it tastes great.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 4: See, sir, we're in a row scape, buddy, Come on, no, I must.
Speaker 3: Be in the front.
Speaker 1: My light beer from Miller everything you always wanted in a beer.
Speaker 3: And less Let's see, Hey, buddy, he missed the tag. He missed attack. The great Bob Bucker has passed.
Speaker 5: Ladies and gentlemen, ball player, actor, a commentator and funny man.
Speaker 1: You gotta be a certain age to remember when he used to go on Carson back in the day when I was a kid. Loved his appearances. Yeah, he was a major league baseball player turn comedian, really hilarious guy. Well he was a He was a very mediocre player, and he made a career of it making a joke, really self great, self deprecating humor. He is in the movie Major League, just doing his act again. We'll tell his stories about how I wasn't very fast runner, so when i'd run, I'd move my hand up like this and knock my hat off to look like it was I was going faster.
Speaker 3: Oh that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I have one more clip.
Speaker 3: Would you like to hear it?
Speaker 1: Sure? When the most Game Show is brought to you by christ I can't find it.
Speaker 3: The hell with it? That's all. We got one damn hit.
Speaker 1: You can't say damn on the air.
Speaker 5: I don't worry, nobody's listening anyway. The Great Bob Buker's pass Jack more disappointing news. A famous cartoonist who is syndicated by the Washington Post, has made a career out of portraying Republicans as Nazis and perverts and sickos and the rest of it. Has been arrested for child porn charges. Who in the Sacramento, California area. Oh my god, one forty nine year old Darren Bell, who again had I was just looking at a collection of his cartoons portrayed Trump as Hitler, among other things. Ah, there was a tip to the Child Sex Abuse National Center for Missing and Exploited Children Child Sex Abuse material Line, and he was arrested with one hundred and thirty four videos.
Speaker 3: And many many images, et cetera. Has been tried.
Speaker 1: That is so disgusting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. It is.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's disgusting and twisted, and I think those people's brains are broken and can't be fixed. But how do you think you're gonna get away with it? You really think that nobody's going to get into your computer somehow and find you. I just can't imagine that.
Speaker 3: I guess the compulsion is that strong.
Speaker 1: Oh that's horrifying. That is horror.
Speaker 5: If you're looking for a logical explanation, yeah, I can't even imagine. It's an affliction. I think in a sickness.
Speaker 1: So coming up a quick review of America's college campuses. It feels like we're kind of winning the war against woke and DEEI, oh my lord, we have miles to go before we sleep. The wah Pole has announced their new slogan. Remember it used to be democracy dies in darkness. I do think this is a better direction for them, and we got to check it. On the Middle East peace deal, which maybe falling apart, I got dang it. I've spent so much time reading about this I left out maybe the key, probably the key why Israel is pursuing this, because I've been saying all morning long, I understand why they would make this deal. Well, there is a good reason for them to make this deal.
Speaker 5: Who gets the most credit? A very silly discussion between Trump and Biden. How's this likely to come out? Is it a good deal? And what about the hostages? So many questions. We'll have some answers. If you can't stick around, grab the podcast Armstrong You Getty.
Speaker 3: On demand Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 4: There's some question about whether Hamas knows where each one of these hostages are, how long it may take to get them all together. There are thirty three in this first group, we're not sure how many are alive. Beyond that, it'll be a joyous occasion when those thirty three get reunited, but it's going to be pretty tense about all of the rest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty up in the air. Question how many hostages are alive and what kind of condition are they in is a heck of a thing. As David Sanger of The New York Times talking about the peace deal before this happened last night. So the acting leader of AMAS, you might remember the former leader of HAMAS threw a chunk of wood at a drone and then got his head bloot off. Remember that whole story.
Speaker 3: It has passed. Yes, Jack has passed.
Speaker 1: A timely death, actually untimely. It'd have been better if he died before October seventh. But that guy is dead, and so this is the current acting leader of HAMAS releases this video last night after the news breaks of a peace deal.
Speaker 6: We also got a statement overnight from the de facto leader of HAMAS, who released this about the deal.
Speaker 7: What happened on October seventh a miracle, a military achievement, and a security achievement carried out by al casombriad Or remain a source of pride for our people and our resistance, though will we passed down from generation to generation after it struck a fatal blow to the end.
Speaker 6: That statement's important because it illustrates the type of pressure that is currently being faced by the Israeli government. Hamas is claiming victory. We saw images last night from inside the Gaza strip of Hamas gunman freely going around and celebrating what they are calling an achievement, promising to conduct yet another October seventh attack, and it raises real questions about how this agreement is going to be accepted, especially among the right wing coalition of the Israeli Prime Minister.
Speaker 1: So imagine somebody kidnaps your kid, you make a deal with him, and as you're making the deal, they say to you, I'm going to as soon as I can, I'm gonna kidnap your kid again. Yeah, what kind of a deal I'm making here. So apparently that took the right wingers in the people that are to the right of net and Yahoo in his government said no freaking way, we're on this, and that's why they have not had a vote now. They were supposed to vote yesterday, but now they have not had a vote on whether or not they're going to go forward with this deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the deal has not been agreed to.
Speaker 5: I also wanted to point out the statement by the leader of mo Oswell, I get it in his world of extremists quote unquote domestic politics, why he would say something like that. It also just illustrates the utter insanity of two days after October seventh, the Biden administration saying Israel, you've got to have a ceasefire. A good lord. It's unspeakably dumb. Anyway, a few more details. BB Netniaho announced earlier today that the long waited ceasefire deal is on hold because of a last minute crisis, which including the bragging about the pride in October seventh. Net Nyahu delayed his cabinet voting Thursday, accusing Hamas of a last minute blackmail attempt. There's more to this. In part that included the terror group objecting to a part of the agreement that gave Israel the right to refuse the release of certain Palestinian prisoners accused of murders, said net Nyahoo's office in a statement. Quote Hamas is demanding that it determined the identity of the terrorists to be released and that was not agreed to, and Israel said that we can't agree to that. So you know, I'm swear I'm not saying this to pat myself on the back. But I didn't believe yesterday that it was a done deal, and I sure as hell don't believe that today is a done deal. You are trying to come to an agreement with a foe that will not until the last days of mankind mind negotiating good faith.
Speaker 1: Well, the mainstream media is all reporting it. I heard it on NPR, I heard it on CNN, I heard it on MSNBC as Netna who once again scuggling a peace deal. Hamas has agreed to it, but Netna who once again backing away from a peace deal. That is not the way these have gone down over the last year and a half. And as you just heard from Joe there, there's reasons why he would not agree to this. And I've been trying to figure out why would you agree to it?
Speaker 5: I mean, I realized that it is terrible, it's worth mentioning that go ahead.
Speaker 1: So only Fox is the only place I've seen play that video from the Hamas leader doing the touchdown dance over this thing. They didn't even mention it on any of the other news outlets. I think that's a pretty key piece of information when your opponent is vowing more October seventh, as soon as we can get our act together and get enough people. Oh, we'd love to murder more babies and old people and rape a bunch of college girls, I'd be fantastic. That's who you're supposed to do the peace deal with.
Speaker 3: Good Lord.
Speaker 5: It's difficult to say whether that was the key point or the Hamas stating that we get to choose the guys you released, by the way in Israel saying whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 3: We never agreed to that. Yeah, it doesn't not be one of these of both factors, right exactly.
Speaker 1: There's the piece that I've been missing. I knew this, but I forgot about it. Richard Engel reported it, and I read about it so in the Bob Woodward book. One of the weird turns of history. They were within days of normalizing relations between Saudi Arabia and Israel when October seventh happened. It was all the pieces were in place, and that you talk about an historic shift in the Middle East. Why would Saudi Arabia do that because then they would be part of the whole US umbrella of protection against Iran and any other foe. So Israel and Saudi Arabia were going to become friends and then their forces. Saudi Arabia's a friend in the United States just changed the entire balance of power in the entire Middle East. There were days from that happening when not over seven the cord obviously then it was off because the Arab street as they call it in Saudi Arabia was horrified at the way the Palestinians would be treated. Blah blah blah blah blah. Well, apparently that's back in the works again. There's a decent chance if Israel agrees to this, that MBS thinks, Okay, this will appease my people enough. They're no longer bombinum, the food aids getting in, We're going to normalize relations, and it's back on. Saudi Arabia is under the US nuclear umbrella again.
Speaker 5: Talking about Iran, right, and MBS, for all of his many sins, is a practical man, and he understands a backward oil kingdom with a bunch of people running around shouting fundamentalist slogans from the year eight hundred ain't the way to run a country in the twenty first century. He is trying desperately to modernize his country and diversify the economy too, But he understands he's got to be plugged into the international community and he can't do that as a fundamental Muslim pariah. So yeah, he has every interest in cementing this deal.
Speaker 1: He also believes another thing from a Woodward book. He fully believes Iran's going to get a bomb. Oh yeah, and RAN's going to have a nuclear weapon and we're not, And so we need to be friends with the United States and Israel, which is also a nuclear power, though they claim they're not right, Oh they are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so yeah, so much for the peace deal, the cease fire. Who knows, it might never be implemented in any way, or it might be in six hours.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Man normalized relations between Saudi, eurobe and Israel crazy, I mean, wow, remember where the hijackers came from?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: So simply save home security with a quick word or beloved sponsor closer to home, literally your home, your front door, protecting it. Their technology these days just keeps leaping ahead. Simply safes out active guard outdoor protection can help prevent break ins before they happen. AI power cameras backed by live professional monitoring agents monitor your property and detect suspicious activity. And if someone's lurking around and acting badly, the agents can see and talk to them in real time, activate spotlights, even contact the police, all before they get into your home.
Speaker 1: You add to that the fact that simply Safe so confident as a company, no long term contracts. They don't need to lock you in for two years because what if you don't like it, they think you're gonna like it, No long term contracts or cancelation fees, and right now, fifty percent off your new simply Safe system when you order.
Speaker 5: And that super advanced monitoring. The monitoring plans start affordably at around a dollar a day. It's amazing. So yeah, start the year with greater peace of mind. Visits simply safe dot com slash armstrong to claim fifty percent off a new system with professional monitoring plan and your first month free. That's simply safe dot com slash armstrong.
Speaker 3: There's no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 1: Want to leave plenty of time for your update about the world of colleges or what it is you teased.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 5: There is the troubling, there is the highly amusing, and there is the quite hopeful. It's kind of a Neopolitan ice cream box of collegiate madness.
Speaker 1: Neopolitan ice cream is all the different flavors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the chocolate, the strawberry in the vanilla. Do you still see that in stores? You want to hear that a vestige of my childhood.
Speaker 1: You want to hear another amazing I've never Okay, I've never had strawberry ice cream, great.
Speaker 3: Scott, were you raised on the moon?
Speaker 1: No, It's been available to me many, many Unlike what was the sandwich you were talking about, which I'd never come across in my life.
Speaker 3: Uh, hot pastrami sand I never.
Speaker 1: Come in contact with a potrami sandwich. I've had a lot of opportunities for strawberry I scream. It just always sounded gross to me, so I've never tried it.
Speaker 5: Katie has a look on her face like she's watching a documentary on some weird tribe that's never brushed up against modernity.
Speaker 1: I basically am listening to this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know the list of things Jack has never done, eaten, gone to it, or it's astonishing because you've actually lived a very interesting life in ways.
Speaker 1: Unless you find eating strawberry ice cream part of the richness of life, because I've missed out on that.
Speaker 3: It is part of life's rich paget.
Speaker 1: No doubt, We've got more on the way. Stay here.
Speaker 3: Some business news. Amazon announced it is phasing out his try before you buy option. That's too bad. I'm going to miss buying underwear that ten people have already tried.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because I remember watching Jeff Bezos on Charlie Rose back when he had hair, talking about this is one of the great things about Amazon. You know, you're not sure your size, buy a pair of shoes you know a size bigger that size, and try them on. You send back the ones that don't fit. I mean, that was part of their whole why you should start buying through online. He must think that it's caught on enough that they don't need to do that anymore. And yes, and it must be a negative somewhere or bad.
Speaker 5: People are exploiting it in a way that is too costly, like so many others trying underwear. Yeah, that's right. Normally don't we have introductory music. Michael, it's a campus madness update.
Speaker 3: I forget to warn you. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 5: It's just a digest of stories about colleges in universities.
Speaker 1: Right now, we're going to zoom through it. The good, the bad, and the ugly.
Speaker 5: As I've often said, you have to remember in the war against Woke, the war against Dei, the neo Marxism, the racializing everything. We're not at the beginning of the end or at the end of the beginning. The war has just begun. Some examples again, the good, bad, and the ugly. This is really quite a story. Columbia University, you remember them with the madness and the occupation and the pro terrorism and anti jew and blocking Jews from going to classes and just all that stuff. Well they've cleaned up their act. No, they have not even a little bit. As the kids returned to school this year, the Columbia Literary Society Alpha Delta Phi set up a two day event in the these Hen's House, named after a five year old Gosen girl who died in the conflict. It's tragic. Obviously, nobody likes that, except for Hamas they like that but it is a two day festival celebrating the campus protests of last year. They've set up a museum of themselves celebrating Hamas and the protests on the Columbia University campus. They have a table with the wrenches, hammers, ropes, and wirecutters used by the anti Israel protesters to break in and occupy Columbia's Hamilton Hall last to April, with a sign do not get your fingerprints on these, because of course the man might crack down.
Speaker 3: Very strange.
Speaker 5: From the Wall Street Journal headline, the higher education is in trouble, among other things, schools should curtail DEI and stop taking political sides. They're quite right, but they cite some astonishing statistics. Confidence in America's colleges and universities has declined modestly among Democrats, but it has collapsed among Republicans. A decade ago, a mere decade ago, fifty six percent of Republicans expressed high confidence in higher education. Now only and only eleven percent expressed little or no. It was fifty six to eleven, it is now twenty to fifty. I'm a little or no, me too, Yeah, Only twenty percent of Republicans expressed high confidence in higher education, and fifty percent have little or no confidence.
Speaker 1: What is it for Democrats? Do you have that? Oh?
Speaker 5: Goodness, I'm not sure they gave that specific number, right.
Speaker 1: I told the story as this is Halloween before last, so it's probably gone further this direction now. But I was out walking with other parents for Halloween. These are all college educated, super liberal town people, and I was shocked by most of them saying, yeah, not going to college unless there's some specific reason. I thought, Wow, this crowd's turned against college. There's really something.
Speaker 5: And then this, do you have an insatiable desire to read about al chemical hermaphrodites, gender fluid angels, Ethiopian eunuchs, trans saints, sects, workers, and gender queer monks.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm gonna go see Ethiopia Eunichs this weekend. They're doing a special MLK show.
Speaker 5: They're they're opening for John Mayer. Or would you like to contemplate how these medieval techs speak to the historical, theoretical, and political concerns that animate contemporary trans studies. Well, if you'd like to, you can take at Boston University the upcoming course Medieval trans Studies. Boy the kids can't read, write, or do engineering.
Speaker 1: It's interesting In Gladiator two, the slave holder of the gladiator this time around, Denzel Washington is clearly flaming gay, like really really gay, and the two emperors are both kind of transish, And I thought, okay, I mean, I know that sort of thing went on in Greek and Roman life, but I imagine they got a kickout of alerting the world. See this was always happening's always been this way not of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll touch on this briefly.
Speaker 5: A Columbia University professor who called the Hamas October seventh, rape murder, child murder, burning people, live, attack on Israel awesome. We'll teach an upcoming course on Zionism at beautiful Columbia.
Speaker 3: University this term. So that's great, that's just super. That's enough said.
Speaker 5: But this from our friends at FIRE, the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression that fight on both sides of the aisle. They want to make sure there's free expression speech. They've got a new report that finds half of faculty say mandatory DEI statement pledges in hiring are rarely are never acceptable.
Speaker 3: But only half. One of the headlines is.
Speaker 5: Five nearly half of conservative faculty report they feel unable to voice their opinions because of how others might react. Half on campus, it's only a fifth of liberal faculty, and more than a third of faculty say they self censor their written work because of social pressor, which is quadruple the number of scientists who said the same thing at the height of McCarthyism.
Speaker 1: Wow, if you're a liberal professor afraid to espouse your views on campus, you have no testicles and or ovaries. Really, what are you afraids gonna happen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 5: Eighty seven percent of faculty find it difficult to have an open and honest conversation on campus about at least one hot button political topic one in seven report and being disciplined or threatened just for their opinions. Thirty five percent report toning down their written work to avoid controversy and where there was one more headline that I really liked. Only twenty percent of university faculty say a conservative would fit in well in their department, only twenty percent in a fifty to fifty country, And how.
Speaker 1: Could you possibly, as a liberal not progressive, think that that's good?
Speaker 5: They are cultists and they're so self righteous. They're convinced that they're good and anybody who disagrees with them is evil. It is a dichotomous view of the world, the second use of the day of the term Menichaean.
Speaker 1: Everything's one or the other in the world. Everything you're either good or evil, and if you're progressive, you're good. If you're not your evil. People actually believe this crap. Life and politics isn't a series of trade offs and people who have different opinions and see the world differently.
Speaker 5: It doesn't take all kinds in the world of these people, It just takes one kind their kind. The rest should die anyway. Another quick headliner too. Civic education is making a much needed comeback on a number of different campuses, so there is hope. Colleges from Arizona, Texas, to Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina and Ohio are starting up American government and politics and civic education programs.
Speaker 3: It's making your assertions. There is hope.
Speaker 5: And even the University of San Francisco has severed ties with one of your racist anti racists who is accredited online class Understanding the roots of racism and bias, anti Blackness, and it's links to whiteness, white racism, privilege and power. This lunatic. They've severed ties with them. There's hope. We just got to keep fighting.
Speaker 1: I wonder if we reached the high point of the craziness and for my lifetime that's over, I hope.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was a nutty time, wasn't Hey. If you missed a segment Orn Hour, get the podcast arm Strong and Getty on demand. You should just subscribe Armstrong and Getty