Speaker 1: Okay, guys, here are my dates for the High and Mighty Tour. In June, I will be in Portland, Oregon, Seattle, and then Hyannas, Massachusetts, and then two shows in Nantucket. In August you can find me in Red Bank, New Jersey, Montclair, New Jersey, and Calgary that's Canada. And September I will be in Santa Barbara, San Diego, New York City, Philly, and New Haven, Connecticut. October is Atlanta, Baltimore, Saginaw, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boise, Idaho, and Spokane. And then in November I'll be in San Francisco. I'm coming to Salt Lake City, Austin, Houston, Dallas Babies, I'll be there. And then in December I am closing out my tour in Denver and Vancouver. So get your tickets at Chelseahandler dot com for the High and Mighty Tour. Hi Catherine, Hi Chelsea. Hello. I excuse my stuffiness. I sound like I have post nasal drip, which is what I have.
Speaker 2: Damn I have happens? Yes, are you getting us our throat from it? That always does that time?
Speaker 1: No covering from something else I've had ongoing issues all year. I don't know what my problem is, but I uh now it's post nasal drip. So I sat last night, I got my eyebrows tattooed on.
Speaker 2: Oh oh so that was like a.
Speaker 1: Three hour excursion, and thank you. I yeah, I hopefully this will save me lots of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I feel like the best thing you can say is like, I didn't notice that.
Speaker 2: You got your eyebrows tattooed on. Yes, Like that's kind of where you want them to land.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they just filled in the hot spots, yeah, or the not so hot spots right right. So it was a lot arduous process. I'm glad it's over. While I was no, I mean, I guess it's slightly uncomfortable. I wouldn't say I wouldn't categorize it as hurting. It's not like pleasant, sure, but it's not unbarrelable or something. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 1: But as I was lying there, she identified my post nasal drip because I kept when you're lying down, you're like, she is my constant thing. And she was like, oh, you have post nasal drip. And I was like, oh, you're right, I do have post nasal drip. That's what I have.
Speaker 2: So a tattoo and a diagnosis.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, she said, it's you're my first tattoo. I didn't realize that your eyebrows are tattoos, Like can you get But that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the micro needling or micro no micro blading. My micro needling is a different.
Speaker 1: Thing, but micro blading is tattooing.
Speaker 3: I think so because I always see all these girls on TikTok being like, oh my micro blading that they said would disappear in a year, and it's five years later and it's still here sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want it to last for five years. I don't want to have to rejuge this. I agreed anyway, So that was that was exciting. I had a fun weekend of shows. We have Portland and Seattle this weekend, which is so easy breezy because I stay on the same coast. I love that. And then I'm heading to you know, the East Coast summertime jams, Hiatus Poort, Cape Cod Melody, tent Nantucket. I'm going to bring Yaminika to Nantucket. So they introduced to a black woman there because the last time I was there, there were no black people will be their first one. So yeah, we need to bring some more black people to Nantucket.
Speaker 2: Perfect. I have a crazy story for you.
Speaker 1: Is it about the mayoral race in LA Thank god, thank god Spencer Pretz out of that.
Speaker 2: Thank God. I'm very glad about that. I will.
Speaker 3: I kind of like had forgotten that it was a primary and it was not going to be all of them. But I'm like, if I vote for Nitia, is that going to mean Spencer, It's going to be Spencer whatever, Like I didn't want to anyway, we knew we're gonna have Karen basson there.
Speaker 1: So I'm starting to understand that LA is just completely mismanaged from within. Like I think that anyone in a mayoral position in this city has a whole council board that they have to deal with, and it's not easy to get anything done in this city. So we need to change things from the inside out, Like something different has to happen in the way things are. There's too much bureaucracy. So it's it's it's really hard to be a successful mayor in this city.
Speaker 3: Right because you can't win right, Like you can't side with the people in power or like the police or anything like that. But you also need, like you need to make systemic change if you're going to make any change at all in the city.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, it's well, I'm going to support I've been supporting her, and at least I don't know, you know, I just have to like have hope in the city that we could turn things around. I'm so grateful that Spencer Pratt is just no longer in involved in this. I don't want to hear that for another five months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nitya, like she's been in it, like since the beginning. She's from the ground up. She I forget what exactly happened, but when she was first running for like city council member, something happened where she was planning to campaign for like six months, and then it wound up like the vote got delayed or whatever, so she had to campaign for like two years or something, and then she finally got it.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, everybody has their flaws.
Speaker 3: But I think she's like actually somebody who's in it to make positive change wherever she can.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well they're not all I mean, yeah, they're all Like I had so many people saying, what about the dogs on skid Row what about the dogs on skid Row. I'm like, I'm sorry, are we voting for like, are we not voting for human beings here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like that can't be the biggest problem in this city. The dogs on skid row. Yes, that's terrible. We all know that I love to rescue dogs, but that's not the number one issue here. There's people before the dogs that we have to be worried about. There's almost fifty.
Speaker 3: Square blocks of people on skid row, Like, it's enormous. There's a lot of there's a lot of systemic changes, and she's very like pro figuring out what shoes and like providing services and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well okay, Yeah, that's what I liked about her, that it's we're down fifty four percent in her district. And I had people that live in her district that loved her also people that didn't love her, but whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah we did. We were in our district when she first came around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was in our district. We voted her from from the way beginning.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, politicians are problematic, but she's got degrees in political theory and urban planning from both Harvard and MIT. I mean, she's way more qualified than any of these other fucks that are around. And she's a woman and we love that.
Speaker 1: And we have a very exciting guest today. You know her from SNL and just like that and the Scary Movie franchise, which I'm seeing everywhere. You can also catch her in Celebrity Autobiography in New York City from June twenty ninth through July sixth. Please welcome Cherio Terry. Okay, this is great. We have Cherio Terry is in the house and she's sitting in very close proximity to me because we're on a podcast, and that's what you do. Not like when we were at the Netflix brunch where I sat down very close to you to introduce myself because I don't think that we had ever met over the years, right, And I sat down and I said, Hey, I know you're coming on my podcast. And she said, I don't like doing interviews, and I wanted to know why you don't like doing interviews. It's not uncommon a lot of people feel this way.
Speaker 6: Listen, your podcast is popular, and it's kind of like you don't want to say anything that's going to.
Speaker 1: To get blown up and used as a headline. That's my specialty everything. That's when you're with me, you're safe because I'm the only one that gets in trouble constantly and creates headlines constantly. So you're just just look at this as like, at least the people are going to take my words and use them to make headlines. I admire your bulls, thank you so much, like my laby Is, Menora and Majora. Please include all of them. Okay, I don't discriminate. Well, I appreciate you saying that, but I'm a huge admirer of yours. I think you are one of the funniest people on the planet, and I love getting to see you in movies because once you left SNL, I'm like, how are we supposed to get our cherry oh, Terry fixed? I mean, you on that show is just first let's talk. First of all, let's talk about pickleball, because you're an avid pickleball I'm not avid. Well yeah, it seems like.
Speaker 6: You are, no, but I do like it a lot. It's something everybody can do.
Speaker 1: That's the problem that I have with it is that everybody can do it, and so I don't think it's such a How do I want to say this. People think that when they're good at pick a ball, that means that they're athletic and not at all. Right, well that thank you, thank you for clarifying that.
Speaker 6: It's about looking athletic, not being athletic.
Speaker 1: Who introduced you to pick a ball? Oh?
Speaker 6: My cousin in New Jersey they have a pick a ball court and that's how I started playing.
Speaker 1: But didn't you find the rules absolutely so confusing, the kitchen and the system.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm just playing to hit the ball and to get it in where I'm supposed to get it in. You know, I'm not lazy, but yeah, I mean anybody can do it. And I'm thinking, what a healthy way to meet people, because I'd like to meet people.
Speaker 1: Are you trying to meet people? Sure? What kind of people would you like to meet? Friends? Lovers? What are you in the mood for? Is that a loaded question?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is where the interview park gets. Yes, yeah, I'm so good at this is But we're just talking about pickleball though, just because pickleball is a good place to meet people.
Speaker 7: Football with a penis.
Speaker 1: When when people talk about pickleball, one of the first things that they typically say is that it's a great place to meet people, or it's a great way to meet people, and it's a great way to not over exert yourself while meeting people.
Speaker 6: Because I went to this court my friend invited me, and there were these guys were playing. My god, they were playing like bow, I mean so hard, and it's fun to watch. But it's not necessarily a spectator sport. But I'm playing, you know, with with other women and everything, and I'm just thinking, God, I'd love to just sit there and watch them play.
Speaker 1: They're it's so they're hitting the ball so hard. Do you like to watch tennis?
Speaker 6: I'll watch tennis. I'm not an avid tennis watcher. Oh I like watching basket ball. Well, if you like to see balls being hit hard.
Speaker 1: Tennis is a good curently, I do. Tennis is a good sport to watch. I love watching tennis.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I went to the Desert Smash Indi in Indian wells. Yeah yeah yeah yeah, Palm Desert and played pick a ball, had a pickball clinic. Well hello, love dog and it was fun.
Speaker 6: You know who was one of my instructors?
Speaker 1: Do you remember?
Speaker 6: I remember from being a kid, remember Vince Van Patton.
Speaker 1: Vince Van Patten. I know that name.
Speaker 6: Is that a remember Dick Van Yes, yes, and he had handsome sons.
Speaker 1: Oh it's his son.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he's married to Eileen Davidson, who was on Young and Restless?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, hands were you a soap opera person Young and Restless? Okay, well, the first of all, you should know it's The Young and the Restless. I can't even believe you're.
Speaker 7: Some of us abbreviated because we've been.
Speaker 1: I was into General Hospital in Santa Barbara. Those were my two and that was a conflict because they were both on at the same time.
Speaker 6: I would watch Santa Barbara sometimes because it was just left over from it was right after Young and Wrestlers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Young and the Restless went from one thirty to two thirty. It was a half hour break. Like sorry, it went from like a half hour to a half hour, whereas Santa Barbara was I think three to four or two to three. So you had to pick and choose which Soaparbara.
Speaker 7: Is Robin right pen, Yeah, it was on was on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Robin Wright was. I was obsessed with Robin Wright because this was before the Princess bri Remember when she was so young and beautiful. She's still beautiful. She actually just stayed at my house in Majorca. She went there for her sixtieth bird.
Speaker 7: Last name pants, first name, fancy. We just bring up this birthday. Oh, she just stayed in my place in Boma Gol.
Speaker 1: Of course she did. Yeah, she did. She call me out of nowhere. I hadn't heard from her in about two years, me either, and I was like, oh, why is Robin facetiming me? This is very strange. And she was with her new lover and they're madly in love and she's like, Chelsea, we want to spend my I want to spend my birthday with you. There's nobody I'd rather spend my birthday with. And I'm like, I when is your birthday? And she's like, oh, it's this And I'm like, I'm on tour and she's like, is your house in my Orca free? And I was like, oh, you want to spend your birthday with my house? I was like, no energy problem, that requires a lot less effort for me and an easy guy, like a very easy.
Speaker 7: Now did she meet him playing pickuball? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: She does play pickleball. I think I think Robin does play pickleball, but I don't know that they met playing pickleball.
Speaker 7: I love to know how people meet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you looking to meet someone? Are you looking to pick up a lover? Is that? Are you in the market?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know what, Yes, But I'll tell you something.
Speaker 7: I I do alone so well.
Speaker 1: Well, I think most women thrive like we're.
Speaker 6: Some women have to be in a relationship. I never felt that way. Never, And so I think for because I do alone so well, to be with somebody, they've got to be, you know, somebody that's like there's chemistry.
Speaker 7: I don't need a companion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well no, of course not. And when we can't, you want to do you feel comfortable talking about your lat like have you had a long relationship? Did you like being in a long relationship or did you like, have you ever lived with someone? And did you like that?
Speaker 7: It was easy?
Speaker 6: I will say it was easy, and you know, and during the pandemic, and we breathed through it because we both were into cooking and we ate, like I think we ordered out once or twice and so we cooked it and then we had our pot of people and we just cooked and it was it was it was great. And then I just realized that I had been single for so long that I thought I was being too judgmental, and I thought, not judgmental.
Speaker 7: They have to be this.
Speaker 6: This is it's really just chemistry.
Speaker 1: You know, I can I relate to what you're saying.
Speaker 8: Though.
Speaker 7: You want to be attracted.
Speaker 6: You want to love their personality and they, you know, to have a great sense of humor. That's not easy to find, especially when you're not looking, and I don't want to look.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to the cooking. What kinds of things can you cook? What's your signature dish?
Speaker 7: Cedar plank salmon?
Speaker 2: That's up?
Speaker 7: Back up?
Speaker 1: What kind of cedar plank are you working with?
Speaker 6: You just buy cedar planks and you soak them for like I'll soak them for overnight.
Speaker 1: On the cedar plank. You soak it on the plank.
Speaker 7: O you just soak the planks.
Speaker 1: What is a plank.
Speaker 7: It's a cedar plank.
Speaker 6: It is all I know is the position you can you can order them on. What it does is it steams once it's completely soaked all the way through. You it on the hottest barbecue and it it cooks the fish through the cedar plank steak, and it just gives it a flavor. It's like the steak of seafood.
Speaker 7: Oh, because I.
Speaker 6: Chop up fresh garlic and parsley from my garden and olive oil, you know, salt and pepper. It's it's really kind of easy. And then perfect timing of twenty minutes on the grill.
Speaker 1: And you flip the salmon or you keep it on one side. You don't flip salmon. No, no, no, I'm a big salmon eater. So this is actually appealing to me, not that I have a cedar plank or that I will ever learn how to use it. Someone else will do that for me, because, let me.
Speaker 7: Tell you, so, I have to be you do learn how.
Speaker 1: To do it. You need a barbecue, right, you don't have barb I'm saving up for one. I think I do have a barbecue outside. There's always another sale coming around the corner. I'll wait until Labor Days, sister. That's how I came barbecue. No, I think I do have a barbecue outside. But I'm listen. I'm a little bit like I think I have one.
Speaker 7: In my York.
Speaker 6: I know you.
Speaker 7: The new dog was standing on top of it the other day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got this new rescue who you just met, and he was standing on top of things. He doesn't I don't think he can judge height. So he was standing on top of the barbecue and it's like six feet off the ground. I'm like, do not jump because he is not spry like dog. He's got a little it looks like he's been in a couple of.
Speaker 7: Bars nowhere with his background.
Speaker 1: Right, they said if they found him in a field, and my sister goes, what can they be more specific? Baker's field like a field of what the field of dreams? She's like, what field did they find him in? I'm like, okay, that's a good question.
Speaker 2: Let me follow up.
Speaker 7: I love that you rescued though, Oh, of course.
Speaker 1: You have animals. Are you a cat? Are you a cat person? Though I thought you said that.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: Oh, I mean I've had a cat before. When I was on SNL, I had a cat. But and I love all animals, but I love dogs.
Speaker 8: It's I've got I've had Ricky and then Sweet Mama and I had them together, and when they passed, I got adel Castro.
Speaker 6: And midel Castro or de Castro and dom Desmond and cute, but like I can't wait to get home to my daughter.
Speaker 1: I know, it's there's nothing better. Last night I came home and I was like, I just couldn't wait to just be with them and hang out, like late nights is fun, you know, and they're getting to know each other, so it's pretty cute. Do you like to talk about SNL?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: What am I talking about? SNL?
Speaker 1: Was it hard to How many years were you on SNL? Five? Okay? Was it hard to? It felt like longer than that. You were such a staple of that show and you and Will together, I mean so fine. Was it a hard adjustment to leave that show? No? No, were you? Were you ready to leave?
Speaker 6: I had a five year contract and I felt so good about the five years that I had done. And it is emotionally it's rough.
Speaker 1: I've heard.
Speaker 6: I heard yes, And if you don't have tools in your toolbox, which I didn't even know I had to have a toolbox back then, you know, it's really hard. And so I kind of left just to take care of myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've heard that from so many people that have worked on that show, that it is a grind and that it is relentless.
Speaker 6: Well, it's like you're auditioning every week to get a show you already got, you know, truly, Yeah, and you're competing with writers who are supposed to be writing for you, you know, and you can't if they don't. Nobody has to write for you. So it's you writing for yourself. And luckily I had that background with the Groundlings. So it's you writing for yourself and hoping you have somebody to write with, and luckily I had, you know, Will and I wrote a lot together. Matt Petemont I wrote with. And it sucks when you feel like you're competing with the writers. I never felt like I was competing with my fellow actors.
Speaker 1: It's not fun to be in a work environment. And I've heard that a lot about us and l And obviously, you know, this is a very revered show. People love it, and but like, it is a very hard environment when you're constantly in competition with the people you're at work with, like, and I know you could probably say that about a lot of jobs, but that's not a fun way for your psyche to exist. It's kind of like your in survival.
Speaker 6: Right always always, And it's so funny because the first time I ever did a sitcom, I was like, what is this kind of utopia?
Speaker 7: Missu? Terry?
Speaker 6: What would you like in your eggs? I'm like, what's your angle? What's your angle? What do you mean?
Speaker 7: You're in a ten out of three? You're you know you're going to be written for. I was just like, this is amazing.
Speaker 6: So anything after that is pretty yeah, you know, is pretty easy, like doing even a film and they say, all right, Cherry, you want to go again, and like it's like I could never go again.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 6: There was always you had to get it on one take. Yeah, you know, and it's a great way to train yourself. It's real discipline. But as hard as it was, I have to say, like I it was so amazing to be able to write whatever I imagined, anything I imagined, And you know, I almost feel like I did that all growing up. I was always watching and imitating people. I didn't do impressions, but I would glean from I would. I always felt like I was born without an identity, so I would observe other people so much. And yeah, I just grew up observing people.
Speaker 1: What number how many siblings do you have?
Speaker 7: Too? I was the middle.
Speaker 8: Okay, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting. I've never heard anyone describe being the middle of two children before. Wow. Oh oh, I thought you said too. I was the middle. There were two children. I'm looking at her like what I was like waiting for the ball to drop or the punchline. Okay, copy that. So there's three total.
Speaker 3: Oh god, oh hey, have you been thinking about writing into Dear Chelsea.
Speaker 2: Well, now is the moment.
Speaker 3: We're taking advice questions on anything that pops up. It's wedding season. Are you having wedding drama? Write in about that thing that you can't seem to agree with your spouse about but you absolutely know you're right. Chelsea can tell you who's right and who's wrong. You can write in about a big life decision or just something small dating drama.
Speaker 2: Write into Dear.
Speaker 3: Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Are you a middle child? Do you fall into that? Like?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Really in what ways?
Speaker 6: You know, it's kind of like, uh, we could have done without you. Ye had the first and you know my sister and then the boy, you know, my brother, and you know my sister was like this golden haired blonde, adorable, and you know, I came out with a mustache, and so it's like you better develop a sense of humor.
Speaker 7: Real quick, real quick.
Speaker 6: But when I was a kid, I would watch Young and Restless because I grew up around so much chaos, and I just was always amazed at how civilized people were on you know, so I would always imitate, and no one knew I was doing what I was doing. You know, I was doing my own kind of show, but no one. I just used anybody that was around as Like my mother would come home and I would have like clip on earrings and a scarf, and as she would walk in, and you know how in soap operas that it's here's the person, this person.
Speaker 7: They're both facing forward to the camera.
Speaker 6: And so I be in front of my mother and I was like, oh, mother, you startled me.
Speaker 7: I didn't hear you come in, And she go, who the fuck are you're talking to? I'm like cut.
Speaker 6: Reset and like she was gorgeous but had like the worst mouth, and she was rough.
Speaker 7: All the women were rough.
Speaker 1: In your family, Oh yeah, really like in an Italian way, in.
Speaker 7: What kind of way?
Speaker 6: And half Irish just rough, like no charm. It was doggy, dog really competitive, no not competitive, just survival.
Speaker 1: Survival, okay, you know.
Speaker 6: And I was so sensitive and you know, you grew up thinking there's something wrong with you, like why am I.
Speaker 7: Not tough like that? Uh huh, and hence not wanting to do interviews.
Speaker 1: To talk about these very subjects. Yeah, did I read that you're a life coach?
Speaker 7: No, gosh no.
Speaker 6: I played a life coach for AMC. It was like a digital thing that I did years ago, and I thought, you know what, while I'm waiting, I'll I'll do a online course. I thought, you know, maybe it'll help me in the you know, back end of it, help myself, you know, people become therapists to maybe help themselves, and said, so I.
Speaker 7: Did, and it didn't help. I wanted to get the verbbage down.
Speaker 6: In all of the you know what, the nomenclature of the life coach.
Speaker 1: What do you think about life coaches in general? Like people who are.
Speaker 7: Personal cheerleaders to me?
Speaker 6: You know, And it's like I said, this as a why pay so much money and deal with the past when it's a lot cheaper and it's about today and moving forward, right, which that sounds good, you know, but yeah, I really I think they organize your brain. I thought there was some legitimacy to it after I, you know, took the classes. Okay, I can see where this is helpful.
Speaker 1: Well for a certain personality. I would imagine that a life coach is really helpful because it's like I remember going into therapy and I was like, I don't really want to deal with the past. I'm like, I just would like to move forward with some better habits. And he almost laughed at me. He's like, well, in order to do that, we actually have to deal with the past. And I'm like, but why, Like that's done? Like I just would like to focus on forward movement. And what he should have said is like, well, what you're looking for as a life coach, not a therapist, you know, or a psychiatrist.
Speaker 6: But they're not going to pass you off to a life coach. But I do see how it can help.
Speaker 7: Some people just need that personal cheerleader, you know. But I love doing it.
Speaker 6: I don't think anybody saw it, but I thought it was so funny, fun I loved doing it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was as a life coach.
Speaker 1: Mm li, I's a life coach and were you doing a character? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just very close to myself close to yourself. I did it, shot it in New York and it was so much fun. But yeah, no one saw it.
Speaker 1: So you're an LA girl, not a New York girl.
Speaker 6: No, I'm from just outside of Philly mm hmm. And when I moved here, I moved here to get in the music business. I worked at A and M Records. Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to be an.
Speaker 1: Actress really, So then what happened.
Speaker 6: I was like, Wow, if I'm ever going to make a fool of myself, this would be the time. I don't know anybody here, and because people alrey said, oh, you should do stand up, you should do stand up. But I couldn't imagine being myself.
Speaker 7: And on stage.
Speaker 1: So then a.
Speaker 6: Woman said to me, oh, you should do the groundlings And I said, what's that. She said, it's an improv troop. I said it's improv and I had no idea. And I went down the groundings and I saw and like the clouds parted. I couldn't believe this place existed. I I was like, this is like Saturday Night live on stage. And so I started taking classes and I had a great job at A and M. I loved I worked in promotion, I worked in publishing.
Speaker 1: And then and so you did that and then you did groundlinks on the side.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I got into the main company after years, and I had an agent, a manager, a commercial agents said this isn't a fluke.
Speaker 7: You need to quit your job. And I was so scared.
Speaker 6: You know, it's like changing completely changing careers. How old were you at this time, maybe thirty, okay like that, And so I did and I started just temping at Disney Legal and it wasn't fun I was just you know, temping and temping.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, not to interrupt you, but I just want to interpose that temping is one of the sole most soulless, it is jobs you could do. I did that.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm going to meet people, And what it is is nobody wants to get close to you because they feel like they're cheating on the person that you're temping for.
Speaker 7: Right, you're gonna be gone.
Speaker 1: I'm not investig in yes, exactly.
Speaker 7: And it was so lonely.
Speaker 6: What was funny was a year and a half later after I got SNL, I had a meeting with one of the lawyers there, and it was so funny because the lawyer that I met said to my manager, why is she talking to all the assistants out there? And it's because she was working with them a year and a half ago. Oh yeah, And you know it was it was really nice because so many people are doing something to do something else, you know, and I think inspired, I guess. But it was so nice to go back there and see all those people that I was, you know that where I was.
Speaker 7: Who didn't talk to me. I guess, now I'm safe to talk to. And then I got.
Speaker 6: SNL and S ANDL is like my first job.
Speaker 1: And what was that audition process like for SNL?
Speaker 6: Oh you do four or five characters in seven minutes something like that.
Speaker 1: And were any of the characters the characters you ended up doing on the show?
Speaker 6: The Lady on the Porch, the Italian Lady on the porch.
Speaker 7: I keep it now. But the groundings was everything.
Speaker 6: It taught me everything, and it was the perfect you know, training ground for SNL. And I had to write because I was working at A and M, so I couldn't meet other people to write as much as you know the others that were acting. So I wrote by myself a lot, and it was little did I know? You know, it was something because you think that you're going to be written for on SNL and it's like, oh no, that's a nice, big surprise. But Lauren Michael said, we want you to continue writing. I was so flattered and it was like, oho, and you don't get.
Speaker 1: Paid, didn't I read sometime that he never actually officially hired you. Is that a true story?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: He did, he did?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 2: They were realize you had gotten the job and that oh yeah, he.
Speaker 6: Said, we want you to come to New York. And I'm like to shop for the day, like finish the sentence, you know. But I feel divinely I was guided there because I would have never dreamt that big.
Speaker 1: Mmmm that's nice, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it's like, how do we get her out here? How do we let's see, let's have John break up with her, break her heart. I feel like there's nothing left for me there. Oh wow. And I always wanted to live in California always, And it was truly I felt like divinely, like how do we get her out here?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And to get out here after SNL, you mean.
Speaker 6: No, no, to get me to la to get into the groundlinks.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So, but then you moved to New York when I got SNL you yeah, yeah, it would have been amazing if you had filmed SNL from LA and just never went to New York.
Speaker 6: I used to come back every time I had a two week hiatus because you love it here.
Speaker 7: I do, yeah, I really do.
Speaker 1: What are your favorite things about Los Angeles?
Speaker 6: Just the skyline, It's just I mean the landscape.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: I was always amazed when I moved here, and I couldn't believe driving home from waitressing from Carlos and Charlie's. Do you remember Carlos and Charlie's on Sunset?
Speaker 1: No, it was a club.
Speaker 6: It was like a nightclub, huh. And I was waitressing there while I was looking for a job. And I remember coming home from there into the valley. I could not believe how beautiful the lights were coming into the valley. Like it's still so beautiful to me.
Speaker 1: Driving on Maulholland, like at dusk or at night is always really always reminds me. Like, you know, I used to have a studio universal and I would live in like bel Air, and I would just take Maholland every day, even though it took like, you know, an extra twenty five minutes because that drive. I always would just cement it how much I love the beauty of this place because I think LA like LA. I go through phases where I really appreciate LA, and then there are times where I'm like, oh, this place is just lame. There's no vibe here.
Speaker 6: You know. The only thing that bugs me is it's it's it is this business. It's everywhere. You know, that's when I just meet an accountant, but often when you get to.
Speaker 1: Meet it are you meeting.
Speaker 7: A lot of accountants? Just my own?
Speaker 6: But you know, it's I missed the diversity of occupation. I mean there are you know it is, but it's so central to this business, so centralized, and it's and you can't kind of get away from it unless you get away from it.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, what is your relationship with like your celebrity? Like, how do you look at that? Because it's weird.
Speaker 6: I never ever really felt like a celebrity and I didn't ever into it, and I'm never bothered by people. And I don't you know, get asked for my autograph much or you know.
Speaker 7: I live really like you know, I'm at home depot.
Speaker 6: I'm at Loew's walking the dogs, and I don't live a life like a celebrity.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, what are your female relationships like at this stage in your life?
Speaker 7: Great? I have really good friends.
Speaker 1: And how long have you had them?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, Well my best friend was the publicist at NBC.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, but I was there. She loves you. She's like, are you excited about Chelsea?
Speaker 1: And You're like, no, I hate being interviewed.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: If Wemer tells me to Wimer person tells me to be myself and have fun, I can be myself and have fun. And oh my gosh, my buddy Cameron and Nadine.
Speaker 1: And do you hang out with your girlfriends as a big group? Do you hang out with.
Speaker 7: Play cards?
Speaker 1: What kind of cards?
Speaker 7: Rummy Cube or I buy and let me see.
Speaker 1: I thought Robny Cube was the with the piece.
Speaker 7: There are the tiles?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that. Now I got my neighbors. I have great neighbors, great women. We'll come over each other's house and I'll do a charcouterie board happy hour or they'll do it not as good as me, but it's not a competition.
Speaker 1: Do you make a mean sharkter.
Speaker 7: I do, yes, I do.
Speaker 1: What do you put on your sharcotery bar? Do you use your salmon plank for your charcuterie board to smoke your meat dinner? Okay?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 6: But yeah, boy, I'll tell you the women friends. I'll tell you something that recently happened. My friend had invited me to this dinner he was hosting for the Milken Milkin Institute. What is the Milken Institute to again, women's health issues?
Speaker 7: Right? So I said yeah, and Jill Biden was a chair.
Speaker 6: And first I'm driving down the street and there's all these cops that are stopping everybody.
Speaker 7: And I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: And I said to the cops, you know where can I park? And he said anywhere you want? So this is where I parked it, Chelsea.
Speaker 2: Let's just sorry with a bunch of Beeby dudes.
Speaker 1: I said, hey, fellas.
Speaker 7: The guy asked me, he goes, can I take a picture with you?
Speaker 6: And I said, oh, sure, if I could take a picture with you guys. And he's like, you want to get on the bike and I go, yeah, I want to play with the lights.
Speaker 7: I'm like yeah.
Speaker 6: I did, But anyway, I go in there and chilled. Biden immediately came up and she goes, now, Sherry, are you from Philly or Jersey? And I said, I'm from outside of Philly, but I'm in Jersey a lot. And She's like, I'm from Jersey. I said, I know you're from Hamilton, the blueberry capital of the world.
Speaker 7: And yeah, and she said yeah.
Speaker 6: And I said, Jill, when I found out that you were from Jersey was everything for me not to call you and ask you to pick up a bag of ice on the way.
Speaker 7: And she started.
Speaker 6: Laughing and we just started talking. And then I'm sitting with all of these women, all of these accomplished, powerful women, and they were talking about in all these different occupations and Biden women and healthcare, and there were investors there, and I'm just listening and listening to everybody speak. And it was the weirdest thing because I would just diagnosed with dcis with breast cancer. I'm staying there quiet, and I'm like, this is so serendipitous, you know that He's like, I want should come and just and be my guest. And I'm listening to all these women and then at the end, Jill came up to me and we were saying goodbye, and I told her that I was just diagnosed and she said when is your surgery and I said the twenty six and she said, all right, you're gonna get tired of me. And she says, I'm going through this with you. This woman like before my surgery, after my surgery, she just she goes, I am with you on this. I was blown away. And then she was coming out to La and she's like, let's have coffee. And I said, all right, I'll come to your hotel. She goes, I don't want to. I don't want you to come here. There's so much security. And I go, yeah, for you.
Speaker 7: You know, like she was bothered by the security there.
Speaker 6: And so we met at this coffee shop and we just talked for two hours, and she was just that is a woman with a huge heart, and through everything, she's like checking on me and just a beautiful human being.
Speaker 7: So I never felt so supported.
Speaker 6: That's really nice, you know, by my friends, my girlfriends, and and so you know, she goes, you're gonna get sick of me texting you, and I'm like, seriously, Jill, knock it off.
Speaker 7: I'm okay, no, But what was.
Speaker 6: Funny was we were sitting there and we're talking about everything with coffee, and she goes, cher, are you really You're really brave?
Speaker 7: And I go, I'm Jill. I caught it early.
Speaker 6: So that's my message to everybody too, is you know, get your mammogram.
Speaker 7: I caught it really early.
Speaker 1: Oh thank goodness.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I just had such with two days ago.
Speaker 2: What from from this?
Speaker 1: And this has been your experience with Jill? Just now? Oh, this is my present.
Speaker 7: I was thinking this was like a year ago or no, this is like couple days ago.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh my god. How are you feeling great? Oh look at you? What a blessing. Yeah, you're sitting here healthy and happy. Oh wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah. The next day I was like, wow, I'm okay.
Speaker 6: I just had a lump ectomy. And the other advice I want to give is get a second opinion. The first doctor I went to suggested something way more aggressive, and I'm like, what wait, I caught it early, and that is what you're proposing.
Speaker 7: You know, to do.
Speaker 6: I was like, that doesn't make sense. And I called a friend of mine who's gone to college as Sherry Ross, and she said, don't do anything until you talk to my friends. So I went to another hospital and had all my records transferred and she said to me, this doctor Grumley.
Speaker 7: She said, Cherry, that's way too aggressive.
Speaker 6: And if I didn't get a second opinion, you know, if you need to, you need to write. But she said that, you know you don't need to. And so I just had a lumpectomy and everything looks normals.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 7: Fine for sharing that.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is helpful to so many women listening.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, truly get your mammogram off, of course, but also get a second opinion, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like everything I wouldn't have, I really wouldn't have unless Cherry suggested that I do that. And yeah, I mean I'm fine. And you know, like who would have thought, like i'd have Jill Biden constantly calling me and texting me, are you okay?
Speaker 1: What they say?
Speaker 7: You know, It's what was funny.
Speaker 6: When we were having coffee, she goes to me, Cherry, you know you can be vulnerable and it's okay to break. And I go, Jill, I'm fine, Really, I'm good, and she's like, you know, you don't have to be so brave all the time. And I go, Jill Seriously, I feel like I'm not scared. I'm really okay, I'm not in any pain because Joe wasn't in any pain either, Shary, all right, I'm scared.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah okay, yeah, yeah? Are you happy?
Speaker 6: But she was just hands on and that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's really beautiful when women who you don't know well, I mean, obviously the women in your life want to show up and protect you and be there for you during especially during times like the one you're describing, But when a stranger shows up in your life and is also that support ballast for you, it is really profound.
Speaker 6: It is so profound because here it's all about women's health issues and what we need to do, what's not being done, and sitting around and listening to all these accomplished women talking about this and me just kind of, you know, taking it all in, but sitting there just being diagnosed and thinking, okay, there's a reason for this. And but luckily I got through it like a champ. And I did have to have a second surgery because I didn't get it all.
Speaker 1: But so it was yesterday or two days ago, your second surgery, Okay, and when was the first surgery?
Speaker 7: Maybe a month ago.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, and no no pain. No, I don't even took anything for pain.
Speaker 1: Well, you can give that stuff to me, that's the word on the street. Yeah, do you have that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I would actually appreciate if you had brought that over today. And that goes for all of our callers and all of our listeners.
Speaker 2: I'll give you the po box.
Speaker 1: Well, are you ready to take a couple of questions? We have live callers calling it. Yes, were a very special guest. I'm so glad that you shared that, and I'm so glad that you're healthy, and I'm so glad to hear this Joe Biden's story. It's all just beautiful. It's beautiful woman.
Speaker 7: Shit, I know, I gotta tell you, I've never felt so grateful.
Speaker 1: Unless you're just making it all up because you were nervous to do an interview. You know, that's that could be a too cancel.
Speaker 7: I mean, you tell me.
Speaker 1: Look, even Doug is interested. Now. Look you've got his attention. Love Dad. That's empathy and compassion.
Speaker 3: So our first question is just a really quick question. Rit says, you're Chelsea. My best friend lives in another state and we each have one kid. I'm due with my second in about a month. When I excitedly told her what I want to name the baby, she got all quiet. When I prodded, she told me that was her favorite baby boy name that she told me about years ago. Honestly, I'd completely forgotten that she had quote picked that name. I feel bad, but my husband and I both love it. Should I use the name?
Speaker 1: Mean? Come on, the friend doesn't have the baby yet.
Speaker 2: No, no, well, they're both pregnant right now.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean no, she says, I'm due with my second. Sorry, I don't think they're both pregnant. I think she's doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if her friend isn't pregnant, I would say. If the friend had been pregnant, then that is kind of like, but why not they just name them both the same fucking name?
Speaker 7: Who cares?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she lives in another state.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's not like that.
Speaker 7: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I go. Yeah, you can't. You don't own names. That's not right, right, right?
Speaker 2: Her friend needs to have like James Junior. No, just kidding, but okay, James.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh my god, James, do you see how he's coming closer to you he senses. Yes, he senses. He's sensitive like that. It's very interesting. Anytime I'm upset. All my other dogs would leave the room when I would cry. This dog, Whenever I'm upset, he comes right into the room and comes right up to me.
Speaker 7: I have my Daisi.
Speaker 6: Whenever I'm mad, which I'm hardly ever, he like if I'm angry at him, he doesn't really pay attention. But if I'm angry.
Speaker 7: If what do you mean? What happened?
Speaker 6: And he'll look at me and go right outside and then stare at me from the outside window like wait until and then I just look down.
Speaker 7: And go, I'm okay, honey, I'm all right.
Speaker 1: Like it's so weird.
Speaker 7: How you know. I can tell him, no, don't do that, and he's like that, fuck you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: But if he if he senses that I'm angry, he knows when it's real and he goes outside and just stares at me.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're on a different than the frequent see they're on. I would love to be able to visually see where you know, where they land and where how they relate to us. It's kind of like I stoke in my stand up people who are always like, don't you wish you knew what your dogs were thinking? I'm like, no, I don't want to fucking find out what my dog is thinking. That's why I have a dog, not a kid. I'm not looking for a feedback loop.
Speaker 7: I don't want to think, and I don't want you to think.
Speaker 1: But I am interested to see what they know and what they don't know.
Speaker 6: My when my dad passed away, I went and got his dog, and uh, whenever I would talk really sweet to her, she would get on her back and just you know, open her legs and arms. And so when I would take her to the park and people are their dogs are doing tricks, I would go, sweet, mama, where's your coinpers?
Speaker 7: Where's coinpers? She get on her back and open her legs.
Speaker 1: I love when they get in that position.
Speaker 7: You know, they look like those old fashioned copers, right, And people were like, how did you train her.
Speaker 8: To do that?
Speaker 2: Command?
Speaker 3: Well, our first caller today is Julie Brad.
Speaker 2: We have Julie on theline.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Julie says, dear Chelsea, how does one choose a burial plot. I'm in my thirties and certainly hope I won't need one for many years. But I also realize everyone has to do this at some point before they die, and I thought you might have some advice. Are burial plots like condos? Do you get one that works for now and just buy and sell them as you move cities or your circumstances change. I've moved several times as an adult and will likely move again, so I don't feel particularly strongly about being buried in my current city, my hometown, or anywhere else. I'm single, though certainly open to a long term partner in this lifetime, but don't plan to have kids. Should single people get a plot for one or a two bedroom just in case? Cremation seems simpler for a girl on the go, but is not for me. My parents are divorced, and my mom got their two plots in the settlement. She frequently reminds me that she willed the extra plot to me. If I don't get my own plot, I'll be stuck arguing with this woman until the end of time, so there's a little pressure to figure this out.
Speaker 2: On the earlier side.
Speaker 3: I hope you'll live forever and do this podcast another one hundred years, but if you're comfortable sharing I'd love to hear if you've made this decision for yourself and how you did it. I don't have a death wish, I swear, thanks, Julie.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got to put your headphones on for this, Sherry, because that's Julie right there.
Speaker 7: Julie.
Speaker 1: Hi, Julie.
Speaker 7: I love how you're like on the gallo, on the go. I don't have time for a funeral.
Speaker 1: You're so funny, Julie. I can't believe you're worried about this is the first time anyone has called in about buying their own burial plot, and I honestly, first of all, you already have one next to your mother. I really don't believe you guys will be fighting in the afterlife. I I love that you are consumed with this. I've never heard anyone talk about this ever at your age. What do you think? Why do you think you are so consumed with this?
Speaker 2: Planner?
Speaker 4: I am a planner, I mean part of it. I certainly put off making, like you know, real decisions in my life by focusing on these not immediate decisions. I definitely think about it when I do talk to my mom and she reminds me that I've got this plot waiting for me in Cleveland. I've been thinking about it. Where I went to go visit my dad, the total solar eclipse was over my dad's place and I went to visit and I was like, where are we watching this eclipse? And he was like, oh, my cemetery plot. I own it. No one else is going to be disturbed by a seeing there. It's like, oh, people can hate.
Speaker 7: It that you use your plot before you die.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of them, a lot talking in your family, so I feel like it's hereditary. I honestly don't have that. I haven't planned for my I I want to be cremated, so I know you said you don't, But if this is really way, I just don't know how you can discern at this stage in your life. What if you meet someone, what if you end up having a big family, whether you have what if you marry somebody who as children and you want to be buried with their family, I mean, being buried next to your mom. To me, sounds like a fine idea. Yeah, well, but also it's already a built in plot, and you're obsessed with plots, and you already have a plot in Cleveland, I would.
Speaker 4: Not say this is a consuming problem for me. I just I honestly never knew any like nobody my age is by the cemetery plot. I don't know if this is a thing people have.
Speaker 7: You're a gal on the go. You need ashes that are on the go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. I think you should reconsider cremation. I do too. It's better for the environment, and also then you don't have to this is way. Why are you against cremation.
Speaker 4: I'm not against cremation generally. It's not traditionally Jewish to do cremation.
Speaker 7: Right right, Yeah, you can pick out your urn now.
Speaker 4: Even if you cremate, you have to decide where your remains go, So that's true.
Speaker 1: You can't think you just go on the plot next to your mother.
Speaker 3: She's really trying to get you next to mom.
Speaker 1: I'm Jewish too, but I don't really hold any regard for like, you know what we're supposed to do based on our religion. I honestly don't know what to tell you, except for the fact that I don't think you should be thinking about this at this stage. You're not. You don't know where life's gonna take you. You said you're only in your thirties, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I was just wondering if people just pulled off on them.
Speaker 1: Do people do this? Have you thought about your Is this a thing I'm gonna know?
Speaker 7: But I do love Forest Lawn?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 6: I take my drive past here. I'm like, if I don't cremate, this is where I.
Speaker 1: Want to be. Forest Lawn is a really in the valley. And I was gonna say, in America, in the valley in Los Angeles. So if you are looking for a nice cemetery, you should check that one out. Law, But I don't have a lot of cemetery referrals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should google, like America's most Beautiful Cemetery.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a great idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean I could spend I could be consumed with, you know, becoming more famous, so I could get into one of the nicer cemeteries. No, it's really not. It's not something that I think you imagine.
Speaker 6: I can't get into that cemetery. Everybody wants to get in.
Speaker 2: It's too hot.
Speaker 7: Who do you know? You got to know somebody.
Speaker 1: It starts in preschool and ends in death.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, just got into wagon Wheel Cemetery.
Speaker 1: I do really appreciate the question because you're really live and things up and freshen things up in terms of.
Speaker 7: Things up about death.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, that's right. Not a lot of people could do that. But it's also a great conversation starter for when you're out and about and see what other people are saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe I'll just start asking people bringing it up idea. Yeah, I don't know if people just kind of have this. The people that I know that have plots are have some sort of like family plot that they're very tied to, which.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't get a plot in our family. I remember my brother died, so then they my parents had to get him obviously unexpectedly, like a plot, and then they bought their two plots so that they would be buried next to him. And then the rest of us were like, I guess we'll just do our own thing. I have no fucking idea what to tell you. I don't, but I really liked the question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your own The one thing I will say, as like the daughter of an elder law attorney, because I have this sort of useless information right aling around. Later in life, you can pre buy a plot and it doesn't necessarily have to be attached to a certain location, but you can like spend the money on a plot to like guard some of your assets. It's like one of the things that elder attorneys do to help safeguard your estates.
Speaker 2: So, but that's down the road very far.
Speaker 1: But that seems like it's perfectly dovetails with what she's trying to accomplish.
Speaker 2: Maybe an elder attorney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I can start talking an elder law attorney.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, they're gonna I don't know what that person would say to this question. I know, I don't know. I just you know, things come up in life and it turns out people have been thinking about them for years.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do want more questions like this, So if you have questions like this, please write into.
Speaker 1: Please write answer. We could give you non answers. I'm very excited about that.
Speaker 4: As I was, you know, leading up to this conversation, it was like, I feel like people right into this podcast and they're like, my husband isn't flossing. What do I do? And then once they get on the phone with you, they're like, I actually have an update since I talked to Catherine. I've murdered my husband. How any advice, like stay into comedy careers in prison. I'm like, what updates do I have, Like that I've died since I wrote in I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's not going I think it, Yes, it is. You need to keep a surprise of what you do find out because I think you're going to start a whole new trend for this podcast.
Speaker 6: I find death very very interesting, do you, Yeah, because I did this thing where I for like two years, I just went to bed and I would always just listen to near death experience stories.
Speaker 7: They're so beautiful.
Speaker 6: It's like being told a story and I would fall asleep to the most beautiful story that everybody from every background, you know, they experienced. Especially with medical advancements, so many people are being revived and the stories are so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Where do you find those on YouTube? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I just read a book of near death experiences. I'll put the link in.
Speaker 7: The Brian Weiss, Betty J Betty JA.
Speaker 6: I've read so many books on near death experience stories and they change the lives of the people that have had the experience.
Speaker 1: Is that many masters many lives Brian Wise, Okay, these a couple of books. Yeah, so start reading books about death.
Speaker 4: Okay, a cemetery.
Speaker 1: I think I think you need to start some sort of online club or a Facebook group to find out how many other people are like you thinking about this, like.
Speaker 4: A chosen family cemetery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people with the same interests exactly.
Speaker 7: You come from a dysfunctional family, you get to choose.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, thank you for calling.
Speaker 4: In, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Bye. Sorry for all the dog interruptions. Somehow ray J got loose.
Speaker 7: That to me is not an interruption.
Speaker 3: Well, I do have one more caller, and she's sort of like on the brink of starting a new life.
Speaker 2: Do we want to.
Speaker 1: Sure, let's do that, and then we'll wrap things up. And we have to promote scary movie, which is where you're here in the first place, because you're in scary movie and it's coming out.
Speaker 7: Actually, I'm here because of you.
Speaker 1: You're you're here because you love to be interviewed.
Speaker 6: No, I just love you. But yeah, scary movies. Is it should be cool? It's so funny to cook twenty five years later.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, isn't that crazy? It is so crazy all of these things that are happening from twenty like these remakes and continuations you're like when you were little, you thought twenty five years was the end of the world. Yes, And the fact that we're all still kind of looking remotely the same and at the same premises work and the same plot it is pretty fascinating. Yeah, and it's such a great franchise. People fucking love scary movies.
Speaker 6: I can't believe it. I can't believe how much, how excited so many people are for this. Yeah, they really are, you know. Yeah it was fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Gretchen says dear Chelsea. I've been a fan for a long time. I really appreciate how clearly you live your life on your own terms. I'm forty one, a therapist in the Midwest and a widow. My husband died by suicide several years ago. Since then, I've done everything I was supposed to do, grieved, rebuilt, stayed functional, and kept my life together. On paper, it works. I'm stable, responsible, fine. I just don't feel like I belong in it. Internally, I feel more and more out of place, stir crazy where I am craving a different environment, different work, and a different kind of community. I'm planning to move to New York City soon and build something more aligned. I'm open to partnership even marriage again, but I'm not attached to a timeline, and I don't have kids. I'm starting to accept that my life doesn't look anything like I once thought it would, or like the lives of most people around me. From the outside, it looks like I'd be walking away from a perfectly good life. I can't always tell if what I'm feeling is real clarity or restlessness, grief and burnout. So I guess what I'm asking is, how do you trust yourself when your life looks fine feels off? How do you know your fall your intuition and not just blowing up something stable because it no longer fits. And how do you fully step into a life that's more honest for you when it doesn't look like what you expected or what anyone around you is choosing. I'm right at the edge of changing my life, and I don't want to ignore that or talk myself out of it.
Speaker 1: Warmly, Gretchen, Hi, Gretchen Grety, what a beautiful letter. This is Sherry Terry, our special guest Day. Yeah. First of all, I'm so sorry that you lost your husband. I can't imagine what you must have gone through and your letter almost has kind of the answers that you're looking for. Truly, like you are stepping into the unknown, that is that is not comfortable. There are moments of discomfort along the way in all of our lives. And the only thing that you can tell yourself all the time is that none of these phases are permanent. All of your feelings of discomfort are temporary. And moving into a new space, start a new life, which is the exact advice I would be giving you. I would say, get up and move to a new city. And you're already doing that, moving into this new version of you. And what you said is you're about to live a life. This is life is not how you expected it to be. Welcome to the world, right, none of us have gotten exactly what we wanted or when we wanted to get it, or have held on to the people that we love the most. It just doesn't work that way. But what is beautiful is when you accept the situation that you're in and you figure out how to make that beautiful and how to build back again, because there is so much beauty in that. And I have no qualms or uneasiness about how bright your future is just your letter alone. You already got it. You're there.
Speaker 7: Your life, life breaks you down to open you up.
Speaker 1: What do they do? Snap? This is it? This is what the kids do. And actually, so I guess. I mean, I'm telling you everything.
Speaker 6: You have the answers, but you're judging yourself, and you know it's a you adhere to these social norms that just don't.
Speaker 7: Fit you, you know.
Speaker 6: So it's kind of like you already know what to do, but you think you're supposed to be sure. Everything is supposed to be. There's no guarantees, but you know the old thing of follow your heart and where you think you might want to go. I'm telling you, if bad things didn't happen to me, I would have probably gone in a direction that wouldn't have served me well for the long run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk about unexpected life. I mean, everything we've just talked about you weren't expecting in your life. But also the unknown is comfortable, and trust the unknown when things are uneasy and you're not sure, trust it. Just trust that you're where you're supposed to be. And I know that doesn't feel sometimes that feels like something like trite to say, but it is the biggest lesson that I have learned is the moments of discomfort. There is always a light at the end of your tunnel, always, and there says there's going to be another tunnel too, you know, and then there's going to be a light at the end of that. So just make sure when you're in these moments, you're really in them. When you're in the grief, be in it. When you're in the light, be in the light and trust yourself because you're on the right track.
Speaker 7: The universe is moving you.
Speaker 1: You're emitting light. I can see it coming off of your life, body, your soul.
Speaker 7: I'm telling you, I.
Speaker 1: Love it so so you're doing everything and we're cheering you on, sir.
Speaker 4: I love your mission.
Speaker 1: You got it, you got it. Go live out loud. Thank you much.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Sending you so much love.
Speaker 2: Thank you us posted. Send us a postcard when you get to New York. Okay, absolutely, yes, I will do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bye bye, Gretchen. Awesome. I know what a wonderful ending to today's episode. I love that.
Speaker 3: And she's not like a timeline too, like she's like on the move. It's probably happening in a few months.
Speaker 2: She's doing it.
Speaker 1: That's a great letter for anyone who's sitting or listening to this thinking like, how do I pick up the pieces of an unexpected you know, something happening in your life that's unexpected, which is what life is. Cherry, I love you. You are just a bundle of joy. Scary Movie six is in theaters now. You can go experience that bundle of joy.
Speaker 7: And uh, I'm doing celebrity autobiography.
Speaker 1: Oh great, way. Oh I'm gonna come see you. Yeah for sure. When is it? When does that start?
Speaker 6: Okay, it's already started, but they're changing cast members and I am doing it from I'll be there until the sixth, so like I think the twenty ninth of Everybod, the end of June, sasy Pants, the end of June.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm going to beat June twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the sixth of July. Yeah, I will come to see you, all right. I have that window because I'm going on a trip and I'm going to come through the East Coast. I'm coming to see you and.
Speaker 7: I'm going to Mayorka.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Robin said, yeah, yeah you Robin. Y'all get out of my house, Robin, Right, I love it. Thank you for being here.
Speaker 7: My pledge.
Speaker 3: If you want advice from Chelsea, right into Dear Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com. Dear Chelsea is a production of iHeartMedia. Follow Chelsea on all socials at Chelsea Handler, and find Catherine on TikTok at flash Cadabra. Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brandon Dickert executive producer Catherine Law. Find full video episodes and minisodes now on Netflix, and get tickets to see Chelsea live at chelseahmmler dot com