Speaker 1: If you want more speaking engagements, collaborations, or visibility for your brand, I got to tell you the truth. This is Terry Lomax and I've been a public speaker for over twelve years. I've lended national media, a ted talk, in six figure collaborations without a publicist or a big social media following. And here's what most people don't hear. You don't need a publicist or a massive audience to get booked. Most people are waiting to feel established first, and that waiting is costing them visibility. How many times have you looked up and seeing people with less experience getting opportunities you were fully qualified for.
Speaker 2: Here's the truth.
Speaker 1: Opportunities don't go to the most qualified. They go to the people who can clearly communicate their value. Once I learned how to organize my story and position my expertise using a framework, everything changed. If you want my exact pitch emails, word for word, my winning subject lines, and the Saucy Solutions framework, visit get that pitch dot com for a limited time use her space for a special listener discount. If this is your year to stop hiding and start getting booked, I'll see you inside. Visit get that pitch dot com or click the link in our show notes.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Cultivating her Space. I'm doctor dom, a college professor and licensed psychologist.
Speaker 1: And I'm Terry Lomax, a techie and motivational speaker. Now, before we jump into today's episode, we want to share something special. For the first time in eight years of podcasting, we're taking a much needed summer break. But stay tuned to see what that means for you.
Speaker 3: That's right, lady, After nearly a decade of showing up week after week, we're giving ourselves a little time to rest, recharge, and refill our cups. But don't worry, we're not leaving you hanging. Over the next few weeks, we'll be dropping these many episodes filled with reflections, insights, encouragement, and some of the conversations we think you need right now.
Speaker 1: When we return, you can expect even more of what you love. Authentic conversations, powerful storytelling, practical tools for healing and growth, and fresh perspectives on everything from mental health and relationships to self discovery and personal development. Thank you for being part of this community and for growing alongside us over the years. Now let's get into the mini episode Okay, So lady, I already told don this story, but I want to get you caught up on the group chat, okay, because this experience almost took me out. All right, So lady, if you don't know, I have a five year old babys she's pretty much grew up with the podcast, and she recently became obsessed with camping. I don't know where she heard this idea. I don't know where she saw it, but she wanted to do it. And I was not raised that way. Okay, we glamped. I was in Girl Scouts. We did a different type of camping experience, right, We had cabins, we didn't do the whole surviving in the wilderness type of vibe. But Babyzy's told me that she wanted to go camping and pitch a tent and sleep outside and lord, kids, they will really make you grow. So me, being the mom that I am, I'm like, all right, girl, we're gonna do this camping. So I did some research and I found this family campground and they have a camp night, which is so funny because I saw it around the same time that she had. So I was like, okay, that's great. So I literally just went through the house and I saw that we had a beach tint that we used before, and we had some other supplies. I was like, all right, cool. I packed up a suitcase and thought we were ready to go.
Speaker 2: Suitcase girl, girl.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm just down.
Speaker 1: Let you tell you no, you are so right, because girl, why I didn't Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I did not know what I didn't know. So here we go.
Speaker 1: We get there, I'm lugging a suitcase through the mud, and I'm looking around at everybody else. I'm like, oh, they don't have suitcases. Okay, something's not adding up. I noticed people have all these I just hear a lot of noise. I hear someone they're in a tent, and I hear like a modem, and I'm like, what could they possibly have there? I don't know what's going on. All I know is I'm out there trying to pitch this tent.
Speaker 2: Babies. He's not help, but she's doing her own thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she's five.
Speaker 2: Why she's five, right?
Speaker 1: You got to execute exactly, That's exactly how it goes. So we get there and I'm pitching the tent. It took forever. It was so difficult, but we got it, so we get inside. We got mud all over the place, but it's fine. I put the blankets down down. We're in there, chilling, and then of course torrential downpour begins, and not only does it begin to rain. We're sitting there and babies wants to play a game, and I'm like, why am I getting wet? I feel water, So I'm looking up. Girl, there's water that is dripping through the ceiling ceiling of the top of the tent, and I'm feeling I'm looking for something on the bottom of the tent. So I think we were trying to get something. And I reached down and the bottom of the blankets are getting soaked. I have like a couple of blankets and I have sleeping bags, and I'm just like, what is happening. So I'm literally in the tent and then my daughter starts crying about something, her ear hurts or something. I'm like, baby, this is not this is not the time. Like we got to figure something out. So I explained to her what's going on, and then I'm sorry. I start calling hotels and the erics. I'm like, we can't stay here because if it's over, we're already getting wet. Now if we sleep here, we will be soaked and sick in the morning. So I explained to her, like, okay, baby, we have to find a plan B And I just felt so defeated, and I remember looking around Tom and I was just like, I wish there was a different adult here to handle this.
Speaker 2: This is overwhelming.
Speaker 1: So long story short, I packed up everything because all the hotels were booked. It was around prom season, so everyone was booked, and we drove home with wet shit in the trunk.
Speaker 2: I was exhausted.
Speaker 1: So we literally drove down that day a couple hours, pitched the tent, put everything in the trunk, drove back home, and again it's downpouring, And so my thought was not camping.
Speaker 2: Is not for us.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what the thought was, but I want to know first, have you ever experienced or had an experience where the one thing, the one time you did it, it went wrong and so you wanted to swear off the whole experience.
Speaker 2: It was like, f this, I ain't doing this no more.
Speaker 3: It's a great question, and of course nothing is coming to me right now, and I'm sure after we're done recording this episode, five different incidents are going to pop up in my mind and I'm gonna be like, oh shit, Like I knew I should have had a I knew I should have talked about that. Right now, nothing, nothing, nothing is coming to me. But I mean, I think as you're sharing your story, I think the thing that that the couple of things that immediately come up for me are like one, I think it's so cool that you haven't done this type of camping before and you were willing to try it for.
Speaker 2: Your baby, right, thank you.
Speaker 3: Like the openness and the willingness to try new things. I think it's so it's so important and it's it's a good it's a good life lesson for baby Z. Yeah, and that's that's just just hearing the first part of the story.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you for sharing that, girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah that felt that feels good as a mom because I had a couple of people say that as well, and I was like, oh, thank you for me. It was just like my baby says she wants is we're gonna try to make it happen. But I appreciate that. And when I thought about this, right, I feel like this is way bigger than camping, and I think It's about what we do after disappointment, right, because how many times have we had a dream and idea and it dies because of one bad experience?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: We might fail once and then suddenly, oh I'm not a camping person. Oh I'm not athletic. Oh I'm not good with money, or you know, I'm not meant to have my own business.
Speaker 2: Right, we say no after a hard day, and so I.
Speaker 1: Think it it presents us with an opportunity to ask ourselves.
Speaker 2: I was like, why do why do we quit so quickly? Right?
Speaker 1: Why do we let one experience define us in our experience our future experiences.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point. I think. I wonder if part of it for me, why I'm having a hard time coming up with the story is because I don't like failure, and so I tend to be that person that like might be I might be saying all kinds and nasty words. Yeah, if I started it, I gotta keep at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, like I think about I think about going hiking, and I have a fear of heights, well, not necessarily heights. I don't mind being high up. Necessarily, I have a fear of falling. And that's what keeps me from going into like heights. And so I remember it was a few months ago for a friend's birthday and we were all hiking. There was a group of us hiking, and that trail started to get a little steep. Yeah, and I didn't have any hiking gear with me, like it's just us, right, And I remember having some moments where I was like, I'm about to turn around and go back down, go back the way I came, because this is looking like a bit too much for me, out of my element. Like I like, I had that conversation a couple of.
Speaker 1: Times with yourself, not with anyone.
Speaker 3: Else, myself, not with anyone else, with myself. In my mind, I'm like contemplating life, like, girl, what were we about to do?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: And then I'm looking around at everybody else, and everybody's doing it, Like now, I don't know what's going on in other people say its because some people look like they are just like there are a couple of folks that are way ahead and they look like this is their thing. They do this all the time. And I'm like, I don't have no idea what's going through anybody else's mind. But everybody is still going. So you know what, I'm not gonna be the one that does it. And I said, and I did say out loud at one point, like I listen, y'all, this is a struggle for me. But uh, but but I'm hearing I'm gonna keep doing this, yeah and so and so I think for me, that's part of why I like what's coming up is that, like I keep, I keep going, I don't like to fail. And so even if it's gonna take me a little bit longer or i'm gonna have, like I said, use some nasty words to get me through it, I'm gonna I'm gonna find a way to make it happen. As we're having this conversation, something that kept coming up for me was how deeply our health is connected to everything else, especially our intimate health, which we don't always talk about openly. So we want to share a sponsor that aligns with that whole body, whole person approach to wellness.
Speaker 1: One thing I appreciate about Soaking wet is that it supports vational health without making it feel medical or intimidating.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, I mean, it's really about daily care, supporting balance, moisture, and overall comfort.
Speaker 1: And for me personally, when things feel balanced, I notice that my body just feels better overall. Lady, get into this. Okay, Soaking Wet from VB Health. It packs a punch with a blend of probiotics, prebiotics and vitamins that are like sending your vagina to the spa if spots also guarantee better sex. Okay, it's not just about health, it's also about pleasure. And lady, let me just be real with you. Okay, we're grown. If you're in a space where natural lubrication is concern, this works all right if you.
Speaker 3: Know you know, and what we know is that it can positively impact intimacy. But the foundation of this supplement is really wellness and prevention. And again, this is a product we've tried and feel good about sharing with our community.
Speaker 1: You can visit Soaking wet dot com use cold her space for ten percent off, or click the link in the show notes. And now let's get back to the conversation. I love that you share that, and I think that makes perfect sense because I feel like we're both competitive with ourselves where it's like, oh no, this ain't gonna own me, because that's what I said. Oh, after that girl, I started looking at it. I started researching. Okay, and so we we we went home, but I said, this trip ain't gonna kick my ass like this is this will not be the memory that we have of camping.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna figure this out.
Speaker 1: So I literally instead of you know, saying camping isn't for me and black people don't camp because that was another thing my friends was like.
Speaker 2: Girl, we all be camping, we do glimping. We won't be out there. I said, listen, my baby said she wanted to do. We want to.
Speaker 3: I had another friend to you because that girl going so.
Speaker 1: Look, I literally open chatchpt because you know, me and chat go together real bad. And I was like, all right, this is I sent a picture, this is my tent set up? What am I missing? And the first I learned that a wagon would be very helpful as opposed to a suitcase.
Speaker 4: Y'all.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't, not motherfucker know. I just it was the biggest thing I could use. At the time.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, I can stuff all this stuff in there. So no, we're not doing suitcases. We gotta we have an official collapsible wagon. Now. Also, what I learned was the beach tint that I used in the sand is not the tint that you want to use when you go out to the campground, especially when it's raining.
Speaker 4: Duh.
Speaker 2: I didn't know though, I had no idea. I just said as a tent because I.
Speaker 3: Was like, wait, I just learned something here.
Speaker 2: I know a difference I didn't know. I got some tarp.
Speaker 1: I was googling. I got some tarp. I got us a blow up bed. I got us a portable so that the modem I heard another person's tent it was. It was there called I forgot what it's called, y'all, but it's like a portable elect electrical box type of thing where you can plug in your blow up bed and blow it up a generator, like a portable generator. So girl, we had that. So the next camping trip, okay that we did it was fire. I'm ready to go again, And I told I sent down pictures. So we had our blow up bed. We had so much space. The other tent. We was touching each other anywhere we sat in the tent. This tent we had space for our bags, We had tarp underneath. Baby, I was ready for the rain, because if it rained, I had a thing for the top. I was ready. We had our little lantern and it was amazing. And so the second trip was completely different, right, And I think the biggest lesson here was like I wasn't bad at camping. I was just unprepared and uninformed and so or yeah, uninformed and informed, uninformed, And so what I what I did was I did my research, I changed changed it up, and I had a better experience.
Speaker 3: It sounds, yeah, that that better experience, that that second experience sound definitely sounds like the better experience. And so you think back, what is the thing that kept you like that made you say, Okay, we're gonna try this again instead of saying it didn't work. So we tried. I tried it once that we can say I could check that off the list. We tried camping and we're done. What made you say like, let me do this again?
Speaker 1: Definitely definitely baby Z. Like I didn't want her to see. I didn't want this to be a failure for her. This is her first memory of camping. I didn't want that to be the experience. So I would say definitely her. And to be honest, even though I'm competitive with myself and I don't want to fail, and I'm determined and not persist.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I really don't know if I were doing.
Speaker 1: It by myself, if I would have felt inclined to do it again, because I don't care that much about camping, but she cared about it. So that's what was like, Oh, we're going to Amazon, I'm gonna get all the supplies. Like that is what really drove me. So I would say that's really what it was. And I also like, I'm not about to let this shit beat me. Like that was another thing, like I'm not about to know I'm gonna do this. And now girl, now I'm ready to go fishing. And I told you too. I was like, now we should go on a camping trip.
Speaker 2: Girl. I ain't never been fishing in my life.
Speaker 1: And now I'm like, we're about to do a black girl's fishing trip like out.
Speaker 3: Door face on a video because I was over here like fishing. I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: Girl. I don't want to cut no fish. But I'm like, I'm such a girly girl. I'm like, I'm with.
Speaker 1: The ships now with survival of the Survival of the fittings.
Speaker 3: Now I'll figure out how to cook the fish. You okay, you got to catch it, Okay, we could, I'll figure out how to cook it.
Speaker 2: That's all right. This Remember you heard it here ladies when I text Dom about fishing.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: But I think some of the lessons we can take away right from this experience one feel disappointed, filthy emotions. I was so fucking fish driving home, like, feel it. Don't skip it right. Bad weekends happen, bad experiences happened. Cry if you need you. I definitely felt like crying. Laugh, if you need to do who you gotta do right, and then get curious like instead of I'm terrible at this, or oh am I ready for this? Ask what don't I know yet? That unlocks the possibilities? What don't I know yet? Use your tools? I was on chat in Google trying to figure it out. Yep.
Speaker 3: And then once you figure that out, change the strategy and try it again.
Speaker 2: That's right, And lady, we just.
Speaker 3: Want you to remember, like the moral of this story is maybe you're not actually failing. Maybe this is your opportunity to learn some other life lessons m h so that you can then try it.
Speaker 1: Again exactly because you just might be using a beach tent for a camping trick.
Speaker 2: Den do.
Speaker 4: It's doctor dom here from the Cultivating her Space podcast. Are you currently a resident of the state of California and contemplating starting your therapy journey? Well, if so, please reach out to me at doctor Dominique Brusard dot com. That's d R D O M I n I q U E b R O U S s ar d dot com to schedule a free fifteen minute consultation. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for tuning into Cultivating her Space. Remember that while this podcast is all about healing, empowerment, and resilience, it's not a substitute for therapy. If you or someone you know needs support, check out resources like Therapy for Black Girls or Psychology Today. If you love today's episode, do us a favor and share it with a friend who needs some inspiration or leave us a quick five star review. Your support means the world to us and helps keep this space thriving.
Speaker 1: And before we meet again, repeat after me and move in alignment not urgency. What's meant for me? Respond to me chep thriving Lady, and tune in next Friday. For more inspiration from cultivating her space. In the meantime, be sure to connect with us on Instagram at her Space podcast