Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: He's Rich Eisen, host to the Rich Eisen Show on ESPN Radio. He'll be hosting the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Saturday. Rich joins us from Canton. Actually where are you right now?
Speaker 3: I am in the presentation center inside the Pro Football Hall of Fame Museum in Canton, Ohio.
Speaker 4: I'll be doing my show from here at noon Eastern.
Speaker 3: And you know, this is giving you a little behind the scenes bts and I'm you know, just hold on a second.
Speaker 4: Can you hold all the work please? You know you taught me to do.
Speaker 3: That a long time ago, just to make sure everyone we're live, you know, like, can you hold the And they've held the work, Dan, They've held the work.
Speaker 4: And that's the scene. That's the scene set. That's my scene set.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: Are you comfortable saying that's the greatest Hall of Fame game in NFL history?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean there aren't many walkoffs, right, we don't have any walkoffs. Tarico and Collinsworth called it as if it was the Super Bowl. That was fun, But that was great, Yeah, I mean, you know, we we saw deep ball leading to a big, massive hit, So you know, it definitely allows us all to say football's back.
Speaker 4: That that was a fun finish.
Speaker 3: And Haines King preesteing the end zone with no time left out have been great. If Dave Canalis like, we're just going to kick the field, let's play for overtime, you know, that'd been fun.
Speaker 4: But that was that was good. I mean, and the folks here in Ken deserve it.
Speaker 2: Dan Sure, dude, Uh, it feels like, you know, we tried, we remind ourself, don't over reac, don't over reen. But if you're a Cardinal fan, can is it okay to overreact just a little bit that you saw Carson Beck play really well?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 3: Of course, I mean, there's lots to be excited about that. Carson Beck is possibly the next quarterback of the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 4: That they did get their guy.
Speaker 3: That's the renewal of hope that we get every single year, whether it's at the combine. People watch the combine, they're like, that guy, that's the guy I need on my team because he can change the fortunes. And whether it's a draft or or its preseason and then the realities of football for many teams unfortunately arrive. One of them could be you know, Arizona looking around in their neighborhood and seeing the defending super Bowl champs and the team that that team beats, that could have been to the super Bowl, that has the MVP and Miles Garrett and possibly Aaron Donald. At any moment in time, we could check our watches and then obviously San Francisco is no pushover. But for the time being, sure, take take your time, take it in. You got a new coach, you got a new quarterback potentially for the future, You've got a new running back.
Speaker 4: You've got a lot to be hopeful for. That's what this time of year's about.
Speaker 2: Foregun conclusion, Aaron Donald's coming back.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have a segment on my show Dan we've called it. Is he back yet? That's what it's called because I mean, if you're gonna go through the paces, you're gonna go start doing this now, You're gonna start practicing in a helmet unless he just decides, you know what, I just I'm not ready for the riggers.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know. I don't foresee that. I think he is absolutely coming back. I think that is going to be one of the greatest handful of history of the game. You know, I'm no I'm speaking from a spot where there's many busts of handfuls, but there'll be.
Speaker 4: Spots across the hall.
Speaker 3: I'm wipe down the hallway from the bus gallery, Donald and Garrett are going to be there. And the great thing about it is the more you and I or everyone else in our industry talks about it, the more Seattle gets pissed, the more Dallas gets pissed.
Speaker 4: The more the chiefs that name anybody.
Speaker 3: That's on your list of Super Bowl contenders, they get pissed because they know football is more than just two of fifty three. I can't wait to watch it play out. Don't you think he's coming back?
Speaker 4: Dan? Like it's a foregone conclusion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I would have said if he wanted to play home games, I was fine with that. He didn't have to travel in my opinion. You know, if he doesn't want to show up to camp until the last week of camp, as long as he's ready to go, when he's ready to go on his schedule, then yes, I think he's going to play. And this is one of those I liken it to Jalen Brown goes to the Sixers. I don't think Lebron goes to the Sixers. If Jalen Brown doesn't there, Miles Garrett goes to the Ram one hundred percent, I don't think Aaron Donald comes back to play unless they get Miles Garrett one.
Speaker 3: He's he's sitting at home getting ready for kids drop off, you know what I mean? Like that, that's what he would be doing if Miles Garrett was still a Cleveland Brown or he went somewhere else. And that's pretty damn exciting too, you know so. I also like in what you just said, to name your schedule, Aaron, you name it. We'll be open to anything or any any idea in the same way that the sexers are. Like you want to live in New York and take a helicopter, Lebron, you know, sure, go for it. You know that that that is one hundred percent the analogy And I can't wait to watch a playoff for sure.
Speaker 2: Rich Eisen Show coming up at noon Eastern on ESPN Radio, hosting the Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction ceremony on Saturday. What is your role as the host?
Speaker 4: Uh oh, I'm hosting the ESPN coverage.
Speaker 3: Actually with ESPN now having NFL Network and it's fold I'll be on the set Nooneaster with Kurt Warner and Lewis Ridick simulcasting the Saturday coverage.
Speaker 4: The official role I've got here at the.
Speaker 3: Hall is tonight for the Jacket Dinner, which is just the jewel of the weekend that nobody really sees. It is the first tangible item a Hall of Famer receives to make the reality of their football immortality.
Speaker 4: Dawn on them.
Speaker 3: It is a highly emotionally charged event where they're all introduced one by one. They walk through a gauntlet of all the returning Hall of Famers to the center stage where they receive their jacket.
Speaker 4: In the past, this.
Speaker 3: Is when Sterling and Shannon Sharp hugged it out and we're crying as Sterling slipped the jacket on Shannon. Or the other year where Shannon did it to Sterling, the year that Sterling did it for Shannon. I'll never forget that one because it was again highly emotional, and the two of them hugging it out and crying wound up on the front page of the Canton Repository newspaper, And the next morning I walked into the hotel where all the Hall of famers were Dan and I walked in to the lobby and there were only three people Jannon and Sterling getting an earful from the guy who was holding their photograph up at the from the previous night of them crying in the newspaper, and it was Deacon Jones telling them in the most profane manner that there's no crying in football and how.
Speaker 4: Dare you do this the night before?
Speaker 3: Like today's the day the drug induction, Today's the day you're allowed to cry, but even for a second, And he was f bombing them, and it was one of.
Speaker 4: The greatest things I've ever witnessed.
Speaker 3: It's one of those moments you turn around like anybody else seeing this, you know.
Speaker 4: So that's what the night's about.
Speaker 3: But they have given it a new twist here with h They don't have your presenter slip the jacket on your induction presenter. You now choose somebody who's returning from the Hall of Fame. It could be anybody to put the jacket on you, and it makes for some interesting combinations. Joe Thomas asked for Jerome Bettis to put the jacket on him and many Browns fans who.
Speaker 4: Are here stat.
Speaker 3: Actual Cleveland brown going into the Hall of Fame, like you're choosing a steeler, Like what gives? It's just that Joe respected Jerome and and and it's a neat thing. It's just and that's tonight and then tomorrow's the ceremony itself.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, have fun and uh, I'll see you in a week.
Speaker 4: That's right, Dan? How how is the how's everything going for that? Where are we? So do I get to finally reverse the question to you? Are you nervous?
Speaker 2: I will be nervous, Yes, I will be I'll be nervous. Uh yeah, I'm on a need to know basis. Okay, I just take direction. I got one thing to do, and that's get through the speech. The father daughter dance. I'm not worried about that. Just once the speech is done, probably do a shot and then uh we'll fly me to the moon and go out there and dominate on the dance floor.
Speaker 4: So is that the song? Is that the song? Okay?
Speaker 6: For you?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I could do it.
Speaker 3: You know I can sing it for you if you need any any you know to insert myself into your father the moment, you know, but I'm going to serve.
Speaker 2: Uh Dan, Dan Hicks of NBC can sing Sinatra pretty well. I don't know if you can sing Sinatra.
Speaker 3: Well. Is this are you creating sort of a ron Bergen d type moment where we're gonna have a fight.
Speaker 4: Is that what you're saying. We're gonna step outside for the right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: I don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: But the walking down the aisle, that moment is going to be the there's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be moment, isn't it. That'll be bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, Yes, that'll be just trying not to make eye contact.
Speaker 4: That's all.
Speaker 2: Try not to make eye contact with anybody.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. It's gonna be great, Penny asked Susan. I will be honored to be there to watch watch it all go down, Dan, We'll be there.
Speaker 2: This bar reception will probably be a little livelier than yours.
Speaker 3: In the see I was waiting, I was, I saw the wheels turn there, I was waiting. We were taking family pictures, Dan, But you got behind the bar and started handing out drinks to everybody.
Speaker 4: So that's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 2: But I understand, okay, I was. I was busy wife. I went to a friend of ours wedding, Bill Fairweather, and Billy is a festive guy. Yeah, Billy, Billy fn Fairweather. And at one point I thought the party was lame, the reception, and I started ripping the sleeves off of guys' shirts. Don't ask me why, but a guy had his tuxedo shirt on it. I said, did you buy that or rent it? He said, I own it? And I we started tearing off sleeves and we were we were drinking shots of seagrums and I'm going, what is going on here?
Speaker 5: This is sad, sad, So this will be faster.
Speaker 4: For you to run the show. I look forward to it, Dan, I look forward to it.
Speaker 2: Thank Thank you, Rich, Thank you Rich. That's Rich Eisen, host of The Rich Iison Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fuck Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey, It's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: And in addition to hearing us live weeknights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: That's right, you can now watch the Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 7: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: Pablo Tory uncovers Kawhi Leonard's other hidden secret spon sponsorship. Here tonight, Pablo Tory finds out releases its latest installment of the saga that continues to linger here over the Clippers and the NBA. All right, so what's the update here and what does that mean? Bigger picture?
Speaker 6: Pablo Hi Dan, we are brought together once again by an alleged secret sponsorship deal for Kawhi Leonard.
Speaker 5: Always good to see you like this.
Speaker 6: What we're reporting is that two days after I published part one of my now thirteen part investigation, which I say, knowing how ridiculous that sounds, I'll fully cop to it.
Speaker 5: This is a thirteen part serialized novel.
Speaker 6: At this point, but it's actually an investigation right as an investigative series. And two days after we dropped part one, what happened was I got a tip saying that there is another secret sponsorship for Kawhi Leonard that was one thousand percent. That is a quote, one thousand percent designed to circumvent the salary cap. And I've spent the last eleven months trying to fact check that, confirm it, further report the story of why that would be, how it would be, And it turns out that yes, according to our reporting, we have two sources, two high level sources, one who was under contract with the Clippers into a don't project, the other a former Clippers high level source. They both say that the jump tron manufacturer, Daktronics, which you may not know by name, but you certainly know by sight. Then why are you laughing? Jumbo tron manufacturers are very very famous. Obviously this one, this one is the one that built the Halo board. This is the one hundred million dollar project that Steve Baumer built to create the greatest JumboTron and human history. And Kawhi Leonard, according to our reporting, had a secret, unannounced, no evidence that he did anything for it, multimillion dollar sponsorship for that company, which and I'll just beg one more bit of time here, because Daktronics had never hired a celebrity spokesperson or sponsor or endorser or partner like this before or since, and so hard to explain Otherwise, I would.
Speaker 2: Say, given these sponsorship deals and his salary, how much money was Kawhi Leonard making a year?
Speaker 5: Well, it is.
Speaker 6: It's a number that we're constantly chasing, and that is constantly changing, which is why we chase it. Look, he was, of course a max player in the NBA. What's interesting though, in that this timeframe we're talking about is actually after Aspiration collapses. So we're looking at twenty twenty three and Aspiration is going bankrupt. It's under federal investigation by the end of that year. And so that deal, I'll just remind people, was twenty eight million dollars under contract for a no show endorsement deal that was never announced. If this is it's sounding familiar, let me know. And also a twenty million dollar equity deal in the company that was guaranteed to him. So that's forty eight million dollars in total value that was guaranteed to Kawhi Leonard on top of his NBA contract.
Speaker 5: And that's just that.
Speaker 6: But Aspiration, according to our reporting, is struggling to make the payments in twenty twenty three, of course, and what happens next is the story of these last two.
Speaker 5: Episodes we've now done.
Speaker 6: And what's so interesting Dan answer your question in this context, January twenty twenty four comes around and Kawhi Leonard does something shocking to NBA media. Certainly he takes less than the max. And so if you just put this all together, right, a guy who truly is here to earn as much as he possibly can and beyond, decides to take less from the Clippers to extend in January of twenty twenty four, while also still being owed money from this team sponsor, Aspiration, which according to the bankruptcy filing we obtained, owes him at least seven million dollars. And so why and how does he do that? Is what leads me to the story of Daktronics. And so we don't know how many millions of dollars we're in the Daktronics deal. We are actively, of course, interested in finding that number. But when you're talking about what was he paid beyond the cap, we're talking about the largest alleged salary caps or convention scheme in the history of sports, right, We're talking about something that ranges into the fifty plus million dollars if that would be a reasonable projection beyond what he was allowed to be paid.
Speaker 5: That's just based on inferences on our reporting.
Speaker 2: Which brings me to when you request to speak to the Clippers owner Steve Balmer, the response is what.
Speaker 6: The Clippers have stopped responding to our request for comment. We tell them what it's going to be in the episodes. For months now they've stopped responding. They used to say stuff like this is all provably false. And I've learned in the story Dan that words are very carefully chosen by lawyers.
Speaker 5: I didn't go to law school.
Speaker 6: I didn't make it to that point, but I've been told that words are important in legal proceedings. Provably false is a big claim, and it's been it's August seventh, I believe, and it's been eleven to twelve months, right, a year almost that we've been waiting to show how this is provably false. What I started reporting with aspiration, that's now into a second hidden sponsorship. And so we always ask, and what's so interesting about this story? Because request for comment is really important to us to get it right. We went to Daktronics. We went to the company itself and asked all of these questions, and what our colleague and collaborator, Sam Koppleman learned is that Daktronics wanted a The first response was, here's our general counsel talk to them. And Kawhi Leonard had not even been mentioned yet, So I was like, okay, so something already, They're on alert. Then they send us to a crisis comms firm, and you love when those enter the room because apparently there's now a crisis, and we still are wondering what do they think the crisis is, because we have a sense, but we haven't even started talking about that yet. And that crisis comes firm, and this is really important. They say two things that I want to quote for you here. One is quote my understanding is Daktronics doesn't have a deal with Kawhi right now, and I think the tense of right now is a useful thing to handing the lantern on for a second. Here, right now is the tense that they stand behind on the record. The second sentence they say is, quote, I don't know what the company this is.
Speaker 5: The crisis comes firm.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the company Daktronics wants to say or can say given the walk Tell investigation.
Speaker 5: End quote, and that is the crisis.
Speaker 6: Comms firm volunteering the name of the law firm that the NBA hired to investigate the Clippers for secret no show sponsorships for Kawhi Leonard. And so at this point you're like, Okay, you're realizing this is of great interest to Dectronics.
Speaker 5: They're familiar with this investigation.
Speaker 6: In fact, they've been managing the crisis of it before we called. And so now when it comes to getting questions and responses about did you have any proof that Kui did anything, how much was the deal for, when did it start, there is no further comment or response.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering, though, how this plays out if these things are true the NBA. You start with, Steve, I don't know what you can do with Kawhi Leonard, but give me the scenario or scenarios that you think that how this plays out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so all of this got phenomenally I think concrete and tangible. When the trade Kawhi Leonard is traded from the Clippers to the Raptors to the team. By the way, that originally alleged in twenty nineteen that Kawhi Leonard and Dennis Roberts and his uncle unlicensed agent, had requested benefits beyond the salary cap in violation of the CBA. These include no show jobs. These include equity in the companies that they were hoping to get in business with through the team. So the Raptors, I say that to say, the Raptors know the backstage of this with unusual clarity as that timeline twenty nineteen is concerned, and so they want to trade for Kawhi Leonard. But what happens is, of course the trade is frozen. And what I've been told and what has now been reported, is that the change is that the NBA puts in front of the Raptors a piece of paper effectively indemnifies the NBA, the league itself, and the Clippers from any legal resource or negotiation if there are punishments specific to Kawhi Leonard, because those punishments will travel with the player to Toronto. If you pay X, you're getting whatever Kawhi ends up being post punishment. And the Raptors, in their perhaps eternal wisdom and this backdrop, say then we're not signing this, and therefore the trade is not proceeding, and so that trade has been frozen for weeks obviously, and so the question of what happens next is when is this ruling gonna come down? Will this ruling speak to the things that I've been publicly reporting that have been vetted by now, of course months of careful investigation in multiple sources. Will that ruling speak to those things? Will there be a punishment, Will the raptors want to proceed.
Speaker 5: With this deal?
Speaker 6: And if there is a punishment beyond Kawhi Leonard, because again that's specific to Kauhi alone, how does this possibly avoid touching the richest owner in American sports? Steve Bouber, the guy who was across every bit of this, and Dan, perhaps in the superlative I gave him, you can detect some of the cynicism and the concern that when you're the richest owner in American sports, the game you're playing, even in legal recourse and certainly punishment, it is different from even the normal billionaires that you might have to deal with as commissioner.
Speaker 2: Has the NBA's investigators talked to you, They reached out months ago.
Speaker 6: I met with them, I handed them a bunch of paperwork, particular to aspiration, signed contracts, financial documents, and I encouraged them to take all of it as seriously as they can, because I think there's a lot more here. Even then I can get to as a guy who has you know, Dan Lebtard as his bleeping boss and one lawyer helping me.
Speaker 5: So we don't exactly.
Speaker 6: Have the resources of a multinational enterprise. But I think that Wachtel, in listening to the podcast, has a lot to go on, and my hope is that they're doing exactly that.
Speaker 2: Any chance Steve Baumer is in jeopardy of losing the Clippers being able to own them.
Speaker 6: I think the question is an Adam Silver question, right, And this is what's so interesting. Adam Silver is not his mentor, David Stern. Adam Silver is actually the guy who welcomes Steve balmer in in replacement of Donald Sterling and was hailed as this almost Aristotelian, brilliant progressive leader in comparison to all the other commissioners Roger Goodell namely at that time. And so now he is bookending perhaps his tenure with the same guy being an even.
Speaker 5: Bigger problem a complicated problem.
Speaker 6: And so if you're Adam Silver and in twenty nineteen when you cleared the Clippers and Steve Balmer of cap cir convention after investigating the Raptors claims and the Lakers claims, what you've done, by the way on the record to say salary caps or convention is the cardinal rule of the NBA.
Speaker 4: And I think.
Speaker 6: Underpinning all of this dand the moment we're in with sports gambling as the NBA balances a gambling scandal, an investigation that we've been covering on the show as well, when they're balancing all of the other caps are convention theories out there, Gary prent Junior as being the latest hypothesis someone has is the question of whether the rules matter and if you break the rules as have been alleged by multiple episodes here of my show and now elsewhere, the question is how do you possibly make it so that the cardinal rule is actually treated like it and so by any standard of fake NBA law because these are all fake laws. These are all collectively bargain rules that you got to enforce. I think everything should be on the table realistically in terms of the money and if you follow it. I think there's a very real chance that Steve Ballmer emerges relatively unscathed, which is kind of insane to me according to my reporting.
Speaker 2: Great stuff, Pablo, thanks for joining us as always, and good luck with Dan Levittard.
Speaker 5: I'm going to need all of it Dan, as you know with him.
Speaker 4: So appreciated.
Speaker 2: Pablo Tory finds out with meadow Lark Media.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live spring in.
Speaker 2: Rick Neuheisel, former college coach at UCLA and Washington and Colorado, now a CBS analyst, how would you feel if your produce head coach Barry Odom after you hear that from your athletic director.
Speaker 8: I feel exactly like I did. What I was at UCLA and Pete Carroll had things going at sc and they put out a full page ad the La Times that monopoly is over. I was like, hey, easy, now, easy now, Yeah, he is a one way to start.
Speaker 4: Tommy's not afraid.
Speaker 2: But were you told about the ad in the La Times the monopoly?
Speaker 8: Oh? I was actually I was actually apologized to We don't need to put that kind of heat on you. I said, hey, let's own it. Let's go, but let's get the resources. Don't take a knife to a gunfight. Let's so we'll see how Barry Odam does, hopefully better than he did when he was aboard that bowl when he was in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: How how did UCLA do against USC that year? Not well, twenty eight seven got stuffed. Yeah, it was unfortunate. We didn't exactly have the resources. I called out the coaches earlier this week. You know you have the Coach's poll, and I said, the people who watch the least amount of college football are coaches, because you can't. You only care about the opponent you had and the opponent coming up. Who voted when you were at UCLA, Washington, Colorado? Who voted in the coaches poll for you? It was always our sports information guy. It was Dave Platty at Colorado, Mark Dellen's at UCLA, Jim Daves at Washington, those guys you know, keeping track hit. They'd bring me a list. I'd say, well, move these guys one spot and away we go. Because you're right, there is no time to spend surveying everybody else in the country. You've got to just look after your own, Yeah, because you don't want to walk into a press conference and have somebody blindside you and say why did this school get a first place vote.
Speaker 4: From you and you not be aware of it.
Speaker 8: No, exactly right, And now that they put your name on it at the end, maybe you better know exactly what the hell went on that list. But yeah, you don't have time for that. That is absolutely correct.
Speaker 2: Let me go back to Indiana and the run that they had. How sustainable is this?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm not gonna put anything past Kurt Signetti because what he's done has been incredible.
Speaker 4: The Church of Signetti is full.
Speaker 8: Parishioners come from far and wide now to watch what is taking place there. The Mendoza story is one for the ages. The sixteen and o story is one for the ages. I can't remember a more surprising something happening in sport than that that was in my lifetime. That was just incredible. You know, the Indiana program that was worse, had more losses than anybody else in the history of college football. To go sixteen and oh and in against the formidable teams that they just and to beat Alabama thirty eight to three. I actually said thirty five to three when I had Signetti in the chair at the Big Ten Media Days, and he corrected me, thirty eight to three. Yeah, don't take that field goal from me. Oregon and then Miami in Miami, it is a run for the age is remarkable, to say the least brought. I think they I think I think Hoover's, you know, reasonable replacement for Mendoza. We'll see if he can keep from having the the errant you know, turnover. If he if he if he cleans that up, they're gonna be They're gonna be good again.
Speaker 2: Talking to former coach Rick newhisl CBS Sports College Football analyst, I was mentioning the coaches top ten and I was putting price tags their roster next to their ranking. Right, you got to be spending at least forty million some next year we're going to be knocking on the door going past fifty million dollars. The return on investment, Like, how sustainable is this for these schools to be spending this kind of money.
Speaker 8: Well, that's a fascinating question. I think we're going to be in a survival of the fittest until the new television contracts come up, which is around twenty thirty. I think we're just in an era where we're just.
Speaker 4: Dealing with that.
Speaker 8: You can see that private equity is kind of sniffing around. You see the stories out of LSU and what they're talking about doing down there. I think everybody's having these conversations. We can't go very much longer. The numbers are going crazy. Brian Kelly just joined us at CBS. He says the numbers at noted aimert fifty million, so and he's sitting there going I couldn't get a penny out of them for a long time while I was sitting there trying to get facilities built. But it is a wild wild West, as it's been dubbed many times.
Speaker 4: It's crazy out there.
Speaker 2: Well, the President urging Congress to pass the Protect College Sports Act before recess here, how important is that act to pass?
Speaker 4: I think it's a huge deal.
Speaker 8: And now that the big ten in the SEC have put their endorsement on the bill, it would be wonderful to get that done. But it has to happen today because they go on recess this afternoon, and if they don't get that done. There's going to be other things that are more important when they come back. With the midterms coming up.
Speaker 2: I saw where you were working with Brendan Soorsby, the former quarterback of Texas Tech. Now I don't know what working means. I know that your former college quarterback and you coach quarterbacks in the NFL. How are you or were you working with Brendan Soorsby.
Speaker 4: All I did then is I reached out to them.
Speaker 8: I felt terribly for how he had become in the eye of the storm, you know, the kind of the focal point.
Speaker 4: I think the.
Speaker 8: Bigger issue obviously he did something that was wrong.
Speaker 4: Can't bet on your own team. He didn't do it while he was playing.
Speaker 8: He had a phone where he got into it and you know, started betting on balls and strikes, and you know it got away from it and hopefully that's behind him. But I remember having been kind of put into the public scorn for having been in a basketball pool, and I became very bitter about who would you know, throw me to the Wolves for doing something that's so commonplace. And I just wanted to tell Brennan and his father that bitterness only impacts you.
Speaker 4: Just just just move on.
Speaker 8: There'll be a better day, and you just got to be confident that that day will come. And I'm hoping that he can get to the Senior Bowl a year from now, that he can get to you know, the combine and show his wares. And obviously I'm coaching in that UFL if it were a place that he wanted to go. Remember, Hunter Decker's the kid who couldn't play at Iowa State any longer for a similar deal, ended up being a quarterback in Houston for Kevin Someone. And now I think he's in the New Orleans Saints camp, so there's going to be a better day for him. I just wanted to reach out and say, you know, this isn't so much about you.
Speaker 4: It was about all that was going on.
Speaker 8: There was a little bit of a jealousy about how much money Texas Tech had, and so it became a big story that he just happened to be the target.
Speaker 4: And I just wanted him to know there'll be better days. Don't get caught up and who got you? Just move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suggested, just like I did to Pete Rose, if you want to give back, you want to show an act of contrition. Volunteer to go around to colleges and even high schools and just say and have people film it, like you can make this something positive if you want to. Pete never did that, and I believe if he had done that, falling on his sword, he probably would have gotten on the ballot to go into the Hall of Fame. And maybe maybe Soresby gets a chance, you know, to prove that he can still play football.
Speaker 8: He's a nice kid. I enjoyed talking to him. His father is a nice guy. I'm hopeful that that can be the case. And you know, he actually wanted to stay for a time at Texas Tech and be the scout team quarterback, but it felt like he was going to be too much of a distraction. So he's just working out and fingers crossed that something good happens for him here down alone. And if it was a gambling addiction, that that's behind him.
Speaker 2: The most pressure to win this year? Which college coach would you say, I'm looking at you.
Speaker 8: Oh, there's a lot of pressure on Lincoln Riley because the Trojans have never been to the college Football Playoff and they feel like they've got all the pieces this year. You know, they have to get back into the elite category where I think the Trojan fans believe they should be a lot of pressure on in my mind, Steve Sarkeesian, because Texas has everything. I would say the same at for Dan Lanning with Dante Moore coming back, But maybe the most pressure given the schedule, given what is going on, is Notre Dame. Marcus Freeman has it all. He's got this CJ. Carr, who everybody said at the Manning Passing Academy was the best guy there. And he's got a schedule that might be as ready made. I mean, he's supposed to be like a double digit favorite until November Miami comes to town.
Speaker 4: That's going to be an epic game.
Speaker 8: If you beat him in front of the home crowd, then you go to BYU and then you have SMU coming to town. We'll wait and see what the Mustangs look like. But that's a schedule that's manageable. It'll be interesting to see and if Marcus Freeman manages it, keeps that Northern Illinois game from happening. Uh, the Irish are going to be right there.
Speaker 2: I'd say, Lane Kiffin, you know that game against Old Miss Now I know, Oh, my.
Speaker 8: Goodness, don't you want to just walk in with him to the grove.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: When I'm going to steer clear, I'm going to be as far away from Lane when he wants in.
Speaker 8: That That is going to be the most anticipated pregame in the history of football.
Speaker 5: He'll eat it up.
Speaker 4: He'll eat it up. We'll talk soon. Thanks about the all the best, buddy,