Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Nick shot, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it is a Tuesday inside the s w b C podcast studio and Mickey take it away because I gotta do something about my head.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 2: He's a professor.
Speaker 5: I'm tempted to move forward to this Giants game, but I still have to. I think talking about talking gather Ram right, I just can't get over a few things.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm back. It's way too loud.
Speaker 4: Mine's loud too.
Speaker 5: But people must be deaf in front of it.
Speaker 3: I think they don't use headsets. Oh okay, so.
Speaker 2: They use the mics because I can smell it.
Speaker 3: Producer Supreme comes in here and sanitizes everything. Well, here we are two days later, and we'll not quite to full. Two days later, Nicky still wants to talk about what happened in Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: You know, uh, I was just watching the brotherly shove touchdown of Hurts, right. I think you have to make them do something different by how you line up. When I went back and looked at it, and I don't care. You know, do you want to count Marquise Bell as a linebacker or.
Speaker 4: A defensive back?
Speaker 5: But if he's kind of the size of a safety. The Cowboys had on that play from the one yard line, six defensive backs in the game, and they're pushing.
Speaker 2: With eight guys over fifty and.
Speaker 5: I think one there was one. I saw an eighty in there that was Julio Jones. The rest of them were all line tight ends and offensive linemen.
Speaker 3: You know, that's sort of by design. They make sure that they've got the personnel grouping in even before that I want them they're versaal enough personnel, and they don't. They don't substitute.
Speaker 6: Well, they the two Julio Jones is or whoever, they're the ones that are back there pushing.
Speaker 5: Well, no, he was on the line of scrimmage. There were two smaller guys doing the push.
Speaker 2: So Julio Jones is down there pushing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he was on the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: So but you can't jump on top of it. You get just blown out.
Speaker 5: And that's what they were doing.
Speaker 6: They were jumping on to you have to.
Speaker 3: It's like that's like riding an ocean wave.
Speaker 5: I'm going to know.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make all you want. They're going to just carry it.
Speaker 4: I'm going to make that execute.
Speaker 5: He's got to see it to come out from under center and throw a pass. I'm going to put every big guy I got on the field in front of him, not six DB's pushing from behind.
Speaker 6: So if you do that, then everyone's going to be you know, down, you know, diving into the ground, and he's going to have all day.
Speaker 5: To pull it out to I want to make him do that. I want to execute.
Speaker 6: And that's why I guess that's why Julio Jones would be in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in case they decide to change it up.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like back in the day when we had tugle wars, you didn't put all the little guys in the front.
Speaker 3: Right, was not on the tug war te.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was there. I couldn't see it.
Speaker 5: I just think you got to make them do something different. That's all they're gonna score if they do it. What they've been doing, right, I think they've only failed like once or twice. Do something different, you know.
Speaker 3: And don't let them get in third and fourth and.
Speaker 4: Fourth and one.
Speaker 7: It works for them. They're just that team that they make it work.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 5: I got to make them do something different. I'm putting every big guy I got.
Speaker 2: Well, I got bacon. They can counted that all they can count.
Speaker 5: I want to see it because I can't counter what I'm doing right right right, I'm putting Nate Newton right on the ball.
Speaker 3: Right that's you know, how you keep them from doing it? You win first and second, I.
Speaker 2: Know, don't. You don't let them get get to a fourth and one or thirty one.
Speaker 5: But at some point they're they're going to get in it. And uh, you know, Micah almost did it. What I told him, I didn't tell him. I was telling you, guys, you jump over the top and you horse collar hurts if you can get your hands on them. Because they got everybody else on top and.
Speaker 3: Pushing all right to the point of winning first and second down. Let's just take first down.
Speaker 5: Well, they didn't win third down.
Speaker 3: I added this up during the game at the end of the third quarter, when the Cowboys took over one thirteen left in the third that was after their Philadelphia's last touchdown, which made it twenty eight to seventeen. Here was the yardage on first down in the game Philadelphia had, and this includes every first down including penalty first downs. Okay, twenty three first down plays they had one hundred and thirty nine yards. The Cowboys at that point in the game had fifteen first down plays for twenty nine yards. Okay, So Cowboys were averaging less than two yards to carry on first down. And I'll have to get my calculator out for Philadelphia twenty three for one thirty nine.
Speaker 5: So and that's dan Quinn yesterday was talking about two things that you know that they had to be.
Speaker 3: Six yards of carry on first down first six yards of play on first down.
Speaker 5: So he was saying that number one, one of the things we do well defensively take the ball away and we didn't. And number two, we were good on third down and we weren't because they were fifty percent on third down, and if you throw in two fourth downs, then they were nine of sixteen on third and fourth down combined. And that's what he said. If you know, when we play him again, we got to be put better at those two aspects.
Speaker 3: And my point on it is, Yeah, when you're better on third down, it's usually because you're.
Speaker 4: Good on first and second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're third and short.
Speaker 6: So uh, you know we so we didn't win at the two goals that we said defense needs to okay, right, and yet we still had a chance to win their game.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So that's why all those numbers in stat they only take you so far. After a while, you just gotta make your play.
Speaker 2: You gotta play football. That's just it. I love the plan. The plan is the plan, as Mike.
Speaker 6: But Mike Tyson said, until you get hit in my mouth mouth right, and then everything changes.
Speaker 2: You know, they'll get.
Speaker 6: Big games where we go in there, we're like, man, we got this game playing together. Next thing, you know, it's our first time seeing Joe Montaylor and the West Coast offense, and we're like, what the hell just happened? We got be forty five to seventeen. Great game plan going in, but sometimes you just gotta play. And this game showed that as long as guys can salvage plays and become football players, those stats, yes, they can't take you far, but they're not gonna win it for you.
Speaker 2: They don't give you an automatic win.
Speaker 5: And when I was going through my own play by play at halftime, it reminded me that the Cowboys were up seventeen four fourteen. The Cowboys had one hundred and seventy total yards. Philadelphia had one hundred.
Speaker 4: And fifty eight.
Speaker 5: Dak was ten of sixteen for one twenty three and two touchdowns. Hurts was ten of thirteen for one hundred and twenty yards. Uh Dak had a one thirty three point six quarterback rating at halftime. The other thing that stood out to me is aj Brown had five catches for fifty seven yards, but their wide receivers in the first half only had seven catches. He had five of them. So they were they were almost, I want to say dominating, but they were beaten in control right, yeah until the third quarter.
Speaker 3: Until the first possession of the third quarter, and then a wide receiver DeVante touchdown and then a twenty nine yard touchdown for the lead. And then now Boys only had seven offensive plays in the third quarter, one possession, Philadelphia had two scoring touchdown drives.
Speaker 5: And the opening kickoff for the third quarter woes out of bounds. Yeah, and they started the forty. So now they only got to go.
Speaker 3: Now that was the opening kickoff?
Speaker 4: Was the mask?
Speaker 3: The face mask?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, the face mask.
Speaker 5: So and that also when you pointed out that, you know, the Cowboys got the.
Speaker 4: Ball and didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: Well and the reason they didn't do anything.
Speaker 5: And at the forty five and Donald goes twenty six yards, right.
Speaker 3: He went eighteen yards, but it was a ten yards to the twenty. Yeah, we went eighteen yards. But there was a holding penalty on scoon Maker that was basically a twenty eight yard penalty, and.
Speaker 5: It was a BS call. He stunned the guy and the guy couldn't go anywhere, and so instead of being at the twenty six, now you're at the forty five. And they went three and out after that. But there were so many different things like that in the game that you know, I know, it comes down to, as Everson said, making those plays at key times, you know, and reminded me in the in the first half the was it their first drive, second drive maybe when Sam Williams got the sack fumble, the ball on one bounce comes right to Hurts, right right.
Speaker 4: To them and they went on to score.
Speaker 5: It's just like what, it's just weird.
Speaker 2: They just continue to go.
Speaker 3: It could have been your ball and then and then Micah had a chance.
Speaker 5: They flipped that ball out.
Speaker 6: But he sounds like we feel, sounds just like we feel I can't go any first.
Speaker 3: That's how all of Cowboys fans.
Speaker 5: But here's the here's the other part of it, not all Cowboy fans, because I bet if you go back to your Twitter feed, it's all you know, this guy played bad, that guy played bad, that guy played bad, get rid of him, get rid of you got to make changes, you know, you know, bench Michael Gallup, get rid of him, get rid.
Speaker 4: Of Terrence Steele. It just goes on and on and on.
Speaker 5: But when you look inside the game, it's like all this goofy stuff happened.
Speaker 6: And that's why coaching and preparation is extremely important, you know, because then you become you can prioritize things doing a ballgame when you have you know, when you have it in your head on what's important and what's not important, right, you know what I mean? Uh, we talked about the play itself with the tight end, you know, I mean, he's got to be was it that wasn't Ferguson, was it on the controversial maker Schoomaker, schoolmaker schoonmaker. You know he could have actually run the route better, take one more he could have taken one more step deeper, you know, just a little things like that. I mean, you can talk about guys being open here, being open there. When the quarterback is back there, he's got to make that decision right now.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't have chance.
Speaker 6: To look at three receivers at once when the blitz is coming and you got a one step drop. You know, you got to make your decisions out. The ball's got to get out us. You're in trouble.
Speaker 7: So everyone's been saying on that play specifically, Brandon Cooks was.
Speaker 5: Open, everybody's open, and yeah.
Speaker 7: But exactly yeah, to your point, he had to get the ball out and Luke was the guy at that time. If he had only taken one more step forward, this would be a.
Speaker 2: Right right, right.
Speaker 6: I mean, when he when he throws the ball to Ceedee Lamb, I'm sure Ceedee Lamb is not the only person opened on that play.
Speaker 3: Or if we stop the replay, not when the ball touches the jersey, but after the guy catches the ball. That he's on the goal line, right.
Speaker 5: I mentioned I mentioned your thing to McCarthy after he finished it.
Speaker 3: Did you credit me for it?
Speaker 5: I said, you know, Bill Jones said, this goes wrong and he goes and he goes like sometimes I just give up on what it is and what is it?
Speaker 3: And I said, I asked Dak about it last night.
Speaker 4: What did he say?
Speaker 3: He was like, you know, it's something about cowboys and catches.
Speaker 6: Well, cow boy wasn't passing the finist calls because the guy was raped around him before the ball got there, or we can just call he was tackling him before the ball even.
Speaker 2: And so I told him.
Speaker 5: We talked about another one or two things, and I said, well, you wanted to be a head coach, didn't you, And he goes, I can't get out now.
Speaker 2: I got to finish.
Speaker 5: I told that the Jason Harrett one day something went really wrong and I can't remember what it was, and I said, well, you wanted to be a head coach.
Speaker 4: It's like, this is what happens.
Speaker 5: They would have to carry me off the field. I wouldn't make it through the game.
Speaker 6: Well, it was so much to look at, and some of it was very subtle. So you don't really know a lot of what happened until you sit back and go over everything again.
Speaker 2: I mean, you guys have time.
Speaker 6: You're at home. You know you're looking at all this. The faculty of the staff, they.
Speaker 2: Don't have that much time. Yeah, I mean real time. It is real time. And you know you have to move on to the next play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, you can't sit there and you can't do that. And there was one play they asked him about why didn't he challenge and he goes, well, by time we got the word in, right, it's too late and he's got to come up with the next play. He doesn't have the ability to the right he got coach, within the moment, you would have to call time out, right, Okay.
Speaker 2: Let's wait right while.
Speaker 3: And then you got thirty seconds and if you use your timeouts, then you don't have you're able to get all the way down to the field of the six yard line with twenty seven seconds left and in position to position, in position to lose twenty one yards.
Speaker 6: And that's why the referees have to be on it. You have to hold them accountable, whether it's doing the game or after the game. They have to be held accountable for this stuff. Yeah, I don't care if we win and lose, Right, you got to do your job, win and lose. I want the referees to do their job.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 5: Gain Wells touchdown their first one. It's one of those things that you're at the twelve yard line but you're in your nickel defense, and not only your nickel defense, your second linebacker is a glorified safety. And what happens is they pitch it out and Kelsey pulls and how Kelsey's big, right, he's about six ' five maybe three something. The only guy that could get in the hole to stop it was Marquise Bell.
Speaker 4: It was a mismatch and there was and they had.
Speaker 5: Stefan Gilmour on the cowboy on the Philadelphia right side in man coverage on the wide receiver. So now he's in the end zone in man coverage and here comes the running back and he's the last guy to turn around and see it and it ends up being a touchdown.
Speaker 4: Didn't even get touched.
Speaker 2: No, you don't expect the corner beck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's not get right.
Speaker 5: But again, it's sometimes that how they play that defense is a good thing, but sometimes you get overmatched, of course with having a guy that's what six two two fifteen in Maybe this also came up by the way, somebody said it sounded like Leyton vander Eris is out for the season. I go no, and they go, well, is he coming back this week? I said, no, he can't. So there was a misconception out there that you had to be out four weeks. You got to be out four games.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we talked about that, right we did.
Speaker 7: Coming back for Panthers or after Panthers.
Speaker 5: If he is ready to play, he's right, because you're out five weeks without practicing. I don't know that you go out there and practice once in pads and say, okay, good to go get out there. So it might be like you said, Savannah the game after Carolina, that he would be ready to be back out there. But sometimes you just have to play three linebackers.
Speaker 2: I think did we ever come out with three linebackers ruin the game?
Speaker 5: Not that I noticed, although they did use Micah at linebacker. I don't know a handful of times.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't know how.
Speaker 6: Well they've had opportunities for the three linebacker set. We just don't feel it obviously.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know that they have another. We'll see if Evans is ready.
Speaker 3: Well, Evans did not get any defensive snaps in this game.
Speaker 5: I thought he got I'm.
Speaker 3: Pretty sure he didn't.
Speaker 4: I thought he had one.
Speaker 3: I think he had like thirteen special teams was the.
Speaker 4: Last That was the last game. Yeah, I got it right here, Evans.
Speaker 5: He had fifteen special team snaps.
Speaker 4: You're exactly right, Yep.
Speaker 3: No defensive snaps. Marquis Bell had fifty eight snaps on defense and DeMont Clark had fifty seven.
Speaker 5: So that was the majority, about eighty percent of the snaps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have the percentage. But how about this. Think back when training camp started, if I was to tell you, Mickey that Marquise Bell against Philadelphia at mid season is going to get fifty eight defensive snaps at linebacker, what would you have said? It's crazy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it was ninety four and two percent of the snaps there, you go, both had, so they came up one linebacker short.
Speaker 6: Well, obviously this is something that we need. I mean, they don't they don't, you know, they don't want to play in these many plays. It's something that we're forced to do, right, You know so by what the LV going down, you know that that really put us in the bond.
Speaker 3: So and that's that's why they signed with Shawn Evans and he's only been here a couple of weeks. The on the right prior to that Kenneth Gainwell touchdown run was the fourth and three. It was a fourth and three conversion the past to Dallas Goddard and I haven't gone back and looked at it, but what memory serves me if they go ahead. They went no huddle after that, and they did not give Dallas time to change personnel. It was almost like that Gamewell play was married to the fourth and north. Yeah, and they I believe they put the tight end in motion to the left and uh so linebackers for the Cowboys were shaded.
Speaker 5: You know what happened that way? It ended up with Jordan Lewis in single coverage. There you go, and it's a mismatch. Small Dbs. I don't know if he's small, but he's small enough.
Speaker 4: He's short.
Speaker 2: Compared to the guys coming out there blocking them. He's small.
Speaker 3: All right, we're just getting started on this edition of mixed shots. Much more still to come.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: And they snapped the press. Guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, running up the middle any stores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're now to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 2: You know that sound anywhere?
Speaker 10: It's the crisp crunch, the first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of fool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday morning swack brisket and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest school. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas, Demit.
Speaker 7: Shuts Kpost Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys. You guys, As of today, we are halfway through the regular season officially, Wow, fifty percent of the way.
Speaker 5: There for eight and a half weeks through correct.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, interesting, but.
Speaker 2: We can't keep saying it's a long season.
Speaker 4: Game nine went up.
Speaker 3: Yep, and at halftime of this game will be the halfway point of the Cowboys season right right? In terms of games, yeah, not in terms of calendar watch any Monday night football last night.
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 5: I watched Dallas Stars Boston.
Speaker 7: Bruins, as as did I were.
Speaker 3: You were there, both of you were this.
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean unfortunately they couldn't pull out the wind, for.
Speaker 5: They played like it was Monday night.
Speaker 4: They hadn't woken up yet until the third period.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a long season.
Speaker 5: Boston's pretty good though, they're very good. They kind of reminded you that they had the best record last year and got beat in the first round of the playoffs. They are, they are, they can skate.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: It was a mismatch, although with five seconds left they had a face off with two man advantage. They didn't quite get a shot off because the Stars had pulled the goaltender and then they got a penalty too, so they had a two man advantage.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: They pulled.
Speaker 5: Well, they were behind three to one, thought and then they scored, thought okay, and then they said, okay, well let's steal and then they got a penalty. So with the last part of the game there was two man advantage.
Speaker 4: But there's your hockey update.
Speaker 5: Okay, So, by the way, what happened? What happened Monday night football?
Speaker 3: I did not watch it, but I understand it was like watching paint dry.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what I heard. Both quarterbacks just didn't have a great game. It was the Chargers held the Jets to six and I just I don't think they even scored any touchdowns. It was just field goals for the Jets.
Speaker 2: Wilson is Wilson. It is what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah again, And I asked us to watch the Sunday night game. Either Buffalo got beat right, let me lak.
Speaker 2: Yeah they did, they did.
Speaker 3: Cincinnati beat him, Yeah, Cincinnati, Cincinnati's Cincinnati came out of there. But Cincinnati came out of their bye week, which and they were starting to get on a roll before their bye week. And now Joe Burrow is healthy, and so twenty.
Speaker 7: Four to eighteen over the Bills.
Speaker 2: As Joe goes, so that the team goes according to the media.
Speaker 5: So in the next after Philadelphia Spy, they got to play Kansas City on Monday night at Kansas.
Speaker 3: City and both those teams on a bye this week.
Speaker 5: Right then Buffalo, San Francisco at the Cowboys, and at Seattle.
Speaker 4: So for the next one, two, three.
Speaker 5: Five games, their opponent's combined record is twenty seven and fifteen.
Speaker 3: So they were including Seattle as one of those dominant teams after getting beat by Baltimore thirty seven to three.
Speaker 4: But they're five and three.
Speaker 3: Yes, they are five and three.
Speaker 5: So everybody's five and three. Buffalo's five and four and Kansas City's seven and two, so it'll be interesting. And I guarantee you Jalen Hurts knee is not one hundred percent. They were very careful with him running the football and it looked like he almost got knocked out of the game. Dak Prescott almost got knocked out of the game with a hit to the head that they didn't call on that one sack on the last possession. Guy almost wiped him out.
Speaker 6: So how do you missed something like that? That's what I'm saying about the referees. They have to be.
Speaker 5: Held accountable that crew was not very good.
Speaker 6: And I mean you're looking at games where, let's just be real, this is one of the this is the best.
Speaker 2: Game of the of the week.
Speaker 6: Yeah you knew, you knew it was going to be one of the best games of the week, and so you would think that you try to find your best crew that's available. You know, I mean, it's a good game, good crew, let's put on a good face. This is this is the afternoon game. You know, you would think that they would go all out and you know, give this all the professionalism that it deserves.
Speaker 5: So Trey Blake was the referee. Somebody told me he's like a he's a new guy, maybe first years. Somebody can google Trey Blake and see how many years he's been Bill.
Speaker 6: Bill's busy doing research.
Speaker 3: But I can, I can adjust Trey Blake, So I continue your thought.
Speaker 5: Then, I was just saying the communication in that game was not very good, like.
Speaker 3: It was an American football official in the National Football League since the twenty twenty NFL season, wearing uniform number thirty three until twenty twenty one. He now wears uniform number three.
Speaker 5: And what was he at twenty twenty When did he become a head referee.
Speaker 3: We're looking at.
Speaker 7: Up twenty twenty two, I believe, all right.
Speaker 4: So he's got a year under his belt.
Speaker 2: And it's not always a head referee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that is interesting. He was hired by the NFL in twenty twenty as a field judge, reassigned to the umpire position in twenty one, promoted a referee for the start of the twenty two NFL season. So he was just two years as an official and got prom moded the referee.
Speaker 6: That was the third Is that that easy to be officiated?
Speaker 3: Prior to that, he officiated in Conference USA and the Atlantic Coast Conference, worked at deep wing and referee positions. He was also a referee for the Alliance of American Football in twenty nineteen and the XFL in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: He fast tracked, he did.
Speaker 3: That's right. But the committee, we may.
Speaker 2: Just started investigating.
Speaker 6: We just started investigating these referees, find out how.
Speaker 2: They got all this favorite.
Speaker 4: Where's he from?
Speaker 2: Who does he know?
Speaker 3: And he is a quality assurance director for an Orlando based pharmaceutical software.
Speaker 2: Didn't sound right? He got two jobs? How do they get two jobs?
Speaker 5: It's like he picked up the flag on that one penalty and didn't explain it, just picked up the flag and said no penalty.
Speaker 4: Gall yeah, yeah, yeah, no penalty.
Speaker 5: So and he didn't explain the bad alignment what happened. They just act like the cowboys didn't line up right and.
Speaker 2: See that kind of stuff. Man, it's got to be explained, say it. Hey, gotta be explained.
Speaker 5: The guy refused, didn't check in, and you.
Speaker 2: Gotta check with your other guys to see if he didn't check.
Speaker 4: With them supposedly. I guess you gotta do it to the head guy. I guess because he didn't make the announcement.
Speaker 13: You gotta recognize you got to go to the white hat McCarthy. Mcgarthy said, yeah, he doesn't say much. He's kind of quiet, so who knows.
Speaker 4: Who knows how that.
Speaker 6: But see, when you have a we have a game like this, these little nuances, they make a difference in the ball game. And that's what I don't like about it. I don't like all those nuances coming in to play. This is a football game. I don't need to worry about it. If I told the right referee, you know, I mean, you're picking up a flag. Why you pick up a flag. Hey man, it's too late. We gotta go next play. Well wait a minute, you know, hold on. So all of these things they make a big difference in a ball game.
Speaker 3: So what you need is have Tuba go in to play left guard, and the most talkative offensive lineman, which would be Tyler Smith, then tells you have him line up moving Eligi too much like Nate Newton, would have been a great tackle eligible. And now Kevin Gogan, I'm sure, yes, Kevin Gogan, he would let the official know that he's in the game.
Speaker 2: In no, no, he would grab him by the collar. Hey I'm in that's.
Speaker 3: What especially if he got called for its right.
Speaker 2: That's right? You wont would you hear me this time? Dude?
Speaker 3: All right? The run game? What are you thinking about the Cowboys run game?
Speaker 2: Not much?
Speaker 4: Very right now, excuse me right now.
Speaker 5: In the NFL rankings, their run game is ranked fifteenth, which is middle of the pack.
Speaker 4: And that's with your ten million dollars running back.
Speaker 6: Not only that, guys, not just the running game. The protection we're having the problem with the protection, thank god.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Dak is like, you know what, I'm not gonna stay back here like San Francisco and get my ass kicked. I'm moving around and like you said, becoming a football player, right, you don't really want your quarterback doing that all the time.
Speaker 5: You don't like for him to be able to maybe get to the second or third read man.
Speaker 6: And so when you put that together, old line is just not doing well. And it's not just one person. He's getting pressure from everywhere and.
Speaker 5: They basically, I mean, there's no depth there.
Speaker 2: Number one.
Speaker 5: Somebody said, why didn't they take Terrence Steele out?
Speaker 3: But who are you gonna move there? And if you want to get the run game going, Terry Steele is your best run has been in the past. Now, well, I don't know post knee surgery.
Speaker 5: No one's factoring that in either. Oh what a bad deal. They gave him that big contract and you know now he can't play well. He's not a year removed from the Triple Crown of knee injuries ACL, MCL, PCL, you got them all. And yeah he's back, but again, he missed the whole offseason.
Speaker 4: He missed.
Speaker 5: Majority of the contact stuff in training camp if they have contact and yeah, you know you've got to got to write it. And you know, hopefully it gets confidence in that knee.
Speaker 6: Well, that that's where injuries can scare you, not just as a team, but as a player. You know, you know that you're not the same anymore. And so okay, we get the year the ramp up. Let's speak of Michael Gallup. You need the year the ramp up, you know. I mean, you come back and it's still not that same knee. So now you have to adjust your body certain way, you know, to still be effective.
Speaker 2: Yo, thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah up here as well, So now your confidence may not be there here it is second year. We're still kind of looking sideways at Michael Gallup. You don't want to be that guy, you know. And as a player you can feel that you know, you're not being targeted as much and things of that nature.
Speaker 2: So still is going to have to go through the same thing. And we take those injuries for granted. Oh they'll come back, right, you know.
Speaker 6: But they don't always come back. Your needs right, right, So then you should be good. It ain't It ain't that easy.
Speaker 2: And I bless you for an example, because I never got heard.
Speaker 6: I wasn't gonna stick my head and that shoulder if I could help. It is a business decision. Arren Steel doesn't have that luxury to have a business decision.
Speaker 3: That is his business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is his business.
Speaker 5: I don't know what this says about him or me, but I've had more surgery.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's dive deeper into the run issueses when we come back mix shots.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite would a pairing can cracks, a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest school. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty Tie twenty three the Liberal Company for orth Texas.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 9: Snapped the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped, flapped. He'll love full a per Styn.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this him self, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping. There's no topping of school PEPSI finish nachos better with PEPSI.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 7: Shuts 'tis the season for youth football and dance camps presented by Invisiligne. Don't miss your chance learn from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders and former NFL players at at and T Stadium on December twenty second and twenty third. Celebrate the holidays with the Cowboys. Registered today at Dallascowboys dot Com Slash Camps. And we're getting into the run game here for the third segment, and we have a question in from a fan, so they want to know to get the run game established, because there wasn't much of a run game for us against Philly. Do we use Pollard? Do we run him off the tackles, use sweeps and screens to give him more room to make a move.
Speaker 3: Let's uh look at the last four games. I just talied it up the last four games for Pollard and rico'dowell. Pollard starts with the San Francisco game. Pollard in that game had eight carries for twenty nine yards against the Chargers fifteen carries thirty yards, against the Rams twelve carries fifty three yards and the Eagles twelve carries fifty one yards. That totals his last four games, he has forty seven carries for one hundred and sixty three yards. That's three point five yards of carry. Rico Daddle meantime, in the last four games has fifteen carries fifty three yards. That's three point five yards of carry. So both of them getting three and a half yards of carry the last four.
Speaker 5: Games and they only ended up with seventy three in this last game on twenty one carries three point five.
Speaker 3: Un there you go, and what is all in all? What did Zeke average last year that everyone was so down on Zeke? He averaged three point eight yards of carry.
Speaker 5: But he had four point some until and.
Speaker 3: Tony Pollard is deal got hurt. Tony Pollard averaging five point five yards, you care?
Speaker 6: And they were worried about how much money he was making. That was the main thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not point on it is okay, three point five is.
Speaker 5: Not good, right, yeah, well even worse so powar DeLong was fifteen. So if you take fifteen away from seventy three, you got twenty carries for fifty eight.
Speaker 3: Yards, but just less than three yards.
Speaker 5: Again, and you know it's not all the running backs.
Speaker 4: I mean, you don't look at what the offensive.
Speaker 6: That's right, there's no doubt it's the offensive line. So my thing is, I'm thinking bringing in your boy. The North took the state the full back Hunter Lipke.
Speaker 3: To play a guard, nothing else.
Speaker 6: You know, as long as they could just create a stalemate on the offensive line, then he could move it.
Speaker 2: But that's the way it's happened. When he comes in the game, they.
Speaker 6: Have been overrun up front, and he's just in the way because he has no where the block because everyone has already cross over into outside onto outside of the ball.
Speaker 5: Now, granted, the middle of that Philadelphia defense is good, right, and no one points out you know, everybody once pointed out bad day by steel Reddick's pretty good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, damn bags. We could say that about every team that you all got one.
Speaker 5: But they're not always on the on the right side. A lot of times they're on the left side, right.
Speaker 2: So you know, you're gonna have your challenges.
Speaker 6: But we still have to play, We still have to run, and we still have to be effective.
Speaker 2: That's not happening.
Speaker 7: What I think I'm tired of is the the toss to Tony Poller and then he tries to just get a couple of yards off of that. I think it's repetitive, and I think you have to do something different to establish the run more. I don't think you can just keep tossing the ball to him and expecting him to gain yards every single time. I think you're just to actually establish the run.
Speaker 6: Well, that's where you know, that's where the offensive lineman fail. Well, they just failed. They just said, let's go wide, let's change it up. Well, that's what happens when we go wide.
Speaker 5: I used to think, I used to think, and I could be wrong.
Speaker 4: I'm never wrong, though.
Speaker 5: Is that the key to Pollard success was the change of speed between z thank you and Pollard?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: If you need a slower running back, no, it's the style.
Speaker 5: It's the style run and defensive had to adjust and you get used to the.
Speaker 4: Guy hitting, hitting, hitting, and.
Speaker 5: Then all of a sudden, here comes this guy and he's so fast, and now they get used to his tempo.
Speaker 6: Let's be real, guys, When Zeke ran the ball a lot, there were no holes, just like what Polo's coming against now. When pol would come in the game for the change of pace, the holes were there. He never got hit in the backfield first. He always had room to set it up and hit the weak spot. He looked like dors Set used to do all the time. You can't do that. It doesn't seem to be that way when you don't have the change of pace. Maybe an offensive lineman can tell me how that makes a difference. But it did make a difference when Zeke was here. Not saying that Zeke was the was the reason, but the change of pace definitely was. It was something that was noticeable and some.
Speaker 5: And sometimes when a guy like Pollard, and it's not his fault, when you're getting bottled up, you started looking for stuff that ain't there. Ain't there right, and you're trying right instead of before he was like, oh look at this hole is boom he sets it up through.
Speaker 3: Now. The other thing that's interesting around the league is the run game, and it is not being ut situated throughout the league. Apparently. I just looked up how many one hundred yard rushing games where they're in the league. This individual one hundred yard rushing games where they're in the league. This this week there was one. Keaton Mitchell of Baltimore had nine carries for one hundred and thirty eight yards all the all the other try he's back up and at fifteen yards.
Speaker 2: Here we go, Okayer.
Speaker 3: Last week there were only three. The week before that, there was one in the week before that two. So seven one hundred yard rushing games the last four weeks in the league. And now here's someone who knows something about the running change.
Speaker 14: This is this is the big difference, and y'all guys have spoke on it at length.
Speaker 3: The big difference is Nate.
Speaker 14: The big difference is you're running back. Uh not not so much your running backs. Your offensive line is not playing very well. The guy that y'all talked about, Steal, he is nowhere near the player that he was the right side last year.
Speaker 2: If you go back and check the stats.
Speaker 14: We were very dominant with him and Zach Martin. We were very, very dominant before this kid.
Speaker 3: Got hurt the last five games.
Speaker 14: Five games and our center was playing at his best Pro Bowl. Yes, so this is not the same offensive line.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 14: The change of pace was you had Zeke that had an explosion. He didn't have the quickness that this guy Tony has, but he had the explosion and he had the patience to fill holes. That is something that's God given. That ain't something that you're gonna just figure out. He had a god gift of seeing a hole and had enough explosion to get to that hole. Leaning forward, you know, saw big Zeke head wasn't gat of jail, and it was much hard to deal with. Now we refuse to, for some reason, to give Donald those carries. Tony is still that explosive back, unless they know that. We don't know he's still that explosive back. But I saw a couple of times, but they tried to give it to Tony to get outside. But our tight ends and our tackles didn't do good enough jobs, so we had to go back up in there. So the biggest missing key besides Zeke is the fact that offensive.
Speaker 2: Line is not playing very well.
Speaker 14: End they're okay, they're okay, But if your offensive line was as solidity as it was before still got hurt, our tight ends were guys getting in the way. They could still get in the way. But now when you have a team that we played last week, they sought the guys that are nine, the one to normal seven. They sought them out. So our guys, instead of reaching out and pushing them out and running with them, they got to turn out, and that gives them a leverage on us, that forces our running back back inside.
Speaker 3: So when he.
Speaker 14: Looked and you see all that green, his nature is to turn back inside. Jordan Davis, Fletcher Cox, Jaylen Carter, those guys were dominating us inside. So that that is the reason, that is the reason why he looked bad this week. Office line is not as good.
Speaker 2: You can say that for the last three or four weeks.
Speaker 5: Friend of mix shots right there, Frisco, there you go. You don't get that just anywhere, that's right, you do on his show?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Well that doesn't for this action of.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: All right, We're turning our attention to Tommy DeVito and the New York Giants like some kind of Attalian movie that's a playoff brought ever since you've been a member of the Giants. What's going on in their lockers? Starting quarterbacks? And Tommy DeVito is your starter?
Speaker 6: Well, we had Belichick and Posls and we we won a super Bowl with a backup running and the backup quarterback O. J. Anderson that was not in our plans, but yet the defense was strong enough to where we carried that team all the way to the Super Bowl and through it.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we're talking giants when Giants Week starts tomorrow here on.
Speaker 4: Mcshat oh Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.