Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sarah Hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 2: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun. From figuring out childcare to mapping out long.
Speaker 1: Term career goals.
Speaker 2: We want you to get the most out of life.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. This is Laura. This episode is.
Speaker 2: Airing in early June of twenty twenty five. Sarah is going to be interviewing Vanessa Quickly, who is the founder of Chatbooks, which I know is something a lot of our listeners have used as part of their memory keeping in the modern era. Vanessa will talk about starting a company all that goes into that. She also has seven kids, so definitely living the best of both worlds lifestyle there. So Sarah, let's talk about your photo lifestyle right now.
Speaker 1: What are you hunting photos? What are you doing with your fool photos?
Speaker 3: And I also wanted to mention, like other memory keeping maybe because.
Speaker 4: I want credit for something.
Speaker 3: So when it comes to like physical items that I want to keep, and they're not many of them, but like of the kids, so that rare piece of artwork that you're like, oh, or like that Mother's Day thing that was so creative that you just like want I do have. This was inspired by Gretchen Rubin, but I got like Banker's boxes for each kid. Actually correction, I have two Bankers Boxes for three kids because Cameron and Genevieve are sharing a box, because that's what happens.
Speaker 4: But that's okay.
Speaker 3: It's worked out so far, and I would say I put like two to three things per year per kid in there, so it's like really sparing. But I think that's going to be really fun when they're done and I can hand them these folders or I can keep them and they can look at them, because like the goal is not to have a giant pie, like it's very space limited, but it's kind of fun to have some actual artifacts. And I don't mean artifacts like hair. These are all like pieces of paper.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, does Annabelle have more of an artistic output than the other two or it's just that they were younger.
Speaker 3: No, it's just that they're younger, so they're going to each need their own box eventually. But because Genevieve's really only been like in school and making things for a few years, I'm shoving them in the back of Cameron's box right now, but ultimately she'll get her own box. And then in terms of our photos, so in theory we print out photo books, but my last one is from twenty twenty one, so maybe we don't print out photo books. However, I am still thinking there was hope for catching up, and I used to do one per year via Shutterfly. I did the super easy version where I just like told it to AI auto do it and then I would like make slight adjustments. But I didn't put a lot of work into it. The hard part for me has always been the curation of like which photos will go in there, and I could put a kid to work on that task. I am well aware, so I think we may catch up someday. And then the other thing has been that I just do the auto upload thing. We use Google Photos. Both my husband's pictures and mine auto upload to there, and it's great. I mean the other day, Laura, I was like, oh, I want to go to this restaurant with Josh.
Speaker 4: Did I go there with somebody? And I was like, I think it was Laura, And.
Speaker 3: I looked up I found the transaction in You Need a Budget, I saw which day it was, looked up the day, and then found a picture of us holding drinks at this restaurant.
Speaker 4: It was awesome. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really Yeah.
Speaker 4: Google Photos is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's a lot more searchable now than it used to be.
Speaker 2: I mean I've had the like, Okay, I store my passports in a place in the house that is not near my desk, and so then I've had to enter information for a few things recently. But I'm like, well, I have a picture of it on my phone and so then you know, I'm like, well, who knows when I took that picture. But all I do is like Laura passport, search for that and it comes up right, like, I mean, it knows what that is, which is great, so, you know, useful. But anyway, yeah, I have I have a lot of photos on my phone that are just sitting there, and I pay for extra storage because I don't really feel it going through and deleting stuff.
Speaker 1: We do have photo books from just about every year.
Speaker 2: I think we're at I do think we got to twenty twenty three. I'm not sure that twenty twenty four has been created yet. But the key in recent years has been having Ruth take over this project. She has access to my photos through my Apple account that is also running her iPad, so it has not even been a problem for her to just go through them and put them directly into a Shutterfly and make a book. So I've strongly encouraged that. But you know, we do and I got to say, obviously people take lots of photos on their phones. I will still put a plug for paying a professional photographer to take real portraits of your family. We've done this pretty much almost every year with a couple of different photographers whose work we like around here, and I.
Speaker 1: Am so happy to have them.
Speaker 2: I mean, partly, it's just then look nice on our Christmas card photos. It doesn't look like you know, I just randomly took it in the kitchen while everyone was sitting there. But then we have printed them up nicer and framed them. We have a photo wall, like a gallery of all the kids. They have a big formal portrait of all this. It's just good to have. I don't know, I like it. I like seeing the photo.
Speaker 3: We did that last Thanksgiving with my parents and sister. And I will say actually, the bigger the group is, the more affordable it can be, because if you're in a big family but you want like smaller family portraits, you're generally paying for the photographer's time and you can get a lot of pictures taken if you assemble a decent group, and then you can kind of share the costs. So obviously, also photographer's rates very widely. If you want some well known person, you're probably going to be paying a premium. But I found that this there's like a gig economy in photos, and you can get some really great artistic photos taken for not a ton of money.
Speaker 2: And this can also be a great gift, like for a grandparent, if you are getting together as a family, for instance, at some point this summer, like you're gonna all each other at a wedding or at a graduation or some sort of outdoor party that you're having, if you hire a photographer to come and take photos of everyone, this can be a wonderful thing to give to, especially older adults who don't really need anything like this is something that they might want. I will say, you have to prepare everyone ahead of time for this, and because people often don't want to stop what they're doing in the middle of a party to pose for formal photos, to just make sure everyone knows that they will need to be taking thirty minutes out of the fund to do this. But the memories are great, you know, It's a small price to pay for being able to look back on it forever. All right, Well, let's see what Vanessa has to say about photos and memory keeping in general.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm so excited to welcome to the show Vanessa Quickly, the creator of chatbooks, a product a company that many of you guys know and love. But just in case you are not familiar with our chat books, go ahead and introduce yourself.
Speaker 5: I hope many people know and love it. Yeah, my name is Vanessa. I am a mother. I have seven kids and two grandkids. I'm the oldest of twelve, so big families of kind of my thing. I love a lot of chaos and creativity and all that comes with having a big family. Started the company ten years ago because in all that chaos of phrasing kids and having babies at breakneck speed. I had gotten behind to my scrap booking. I was the scrapbook mom with my oldest and my youngest was going off to kindergarten without a single printed photo besides the annual Christmas card. And so chat Books is a solution to that problem that I have, and I've been building it for the last ten Oh man, we're going on eleven years now with my husband and it's been a wild, wild ride.
Speaker 3: That is amazing. So where exactly, because you have seven kids and you sort of mentioned how all the oldest was like, where were you and your parent journey when you decided to start a brand new company.
Speaker 5: Well, my oldest had started his freshman year of college and my youngest was going to kindergarten. So quite the range there, And if I'm being honest, there were years before we started Chatbooks that my husband had been trying to build a company to solve like helping families hold on to organize and enjoy their family memories. He has a career in building enterprise software and was kind of tackling the problem from that lens. And we basically drained our savings trying.
Speaker 1: To build a solution.
Speaker 5: From a guy's point of view when we all know it's the mom's right, the chief household officer that is doing most of the memory keeping, and so I don't have the Harvard MBA. But I finally spoke up and I'm like, I don't think this is going to work. I'm not using it, my friends aren't using it, my sisters aren't using it.
Speaker 1: Will you just figure.
Speaker 5: Out how to print my photos? And so with that idea came like a volunteer to join the founding company and build this business, even though I had no background in business at all, but I was very passionate about the problem to be solved.
Speaker 4: That is awesome.
Speaker 3: And by the way, slight parallel here because your age spread of your kids is almost exactly the same as Laura, my co host. She's got a five year old and then headed off to college as her oldest, so kind of similar on the up of seven and she has five, so.
Speaker 5: No, hey, it's all the same after three, it's a blur.
Speaker 3: So I can only imagine since I only have three.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: I also read a little bit about your background before all this and found it, well, maybe not equally fascinating because I want to hear more about like the whole, like what it was like to start a company from the ground up with all those kids in various ages. But you also had an unusual upbringing. In fact, there was an article that I think was part of your preskitt that said why growing up weird can be good for your career. So, Vanessa, how did you grow up weird and was it good for your career? Well?
Speaker 5: I mentioned I'm the oldest of twelve kids, and we grew up in Orlando, Florida, and we right now live in Utah, and Utah historically has been known for big families, and in Utah, I mean in Florida. Though like twelve kids, we were freak shows. We were in the newspaper at least once a year doing an article on some aspect of like me my mom being supermom, or we had like a gentleman's farm in our backyard and a pine tree nursery. My dad had got my got going so that my brothers could help have actually have a healthy outlet for all of that big boy energy, but also to help raise money for college. I came from a wildly entrepreneurial family, and my mother, who was the primary caregiver for the twelve kids. She was so creative. She was an artist, she was a script she would write plays. She constantly built dream up business plans like that's what she would do. So I was like a coping mechanism.
Speaker 4: For the twelve kids.
Speaker 5: It was like just wild creativity and imagining like other worlds. But I think all of the experiences with growing up with a big family, where like we didn't fit the mold, anything was possible, dreaming big, like even when we already had a lot of big things going on. All of that fed into this idea when I left home at eighteen that I can literally do anything that I set my mind to. And when I left home, I wanted to be an opera singer. I love to sing, and my parents always told me that I had a really nice voice, and so of course I'm going to go off and be a famous singer. I actually thought I would be on Broadway, like that's really what I wanted to do. I had never seen an opera. I had been to a few Broadway shows, and I was like, that is a life for me up on the stage. And again my parents were just like feeding me into this, like you can do anything, and you're so wildly talented. And so I went off to college, but I was didn't really understand how my university broke up the programs. There's like a strict music theater tracked and a strict classical music tract. And I just auditioned for the first flyer that I saw for singers, and I ended up in this opera tract. And after I'd realized what had happened and it was too late to drop the class, I stuck with it that semester, and my like world changed. I fell in love with opera music at all of the new challenges that come with that repertoire and technique. And so yeah, how did growing up weird in Florida with twelve kids and a cow that we would milk, and horses and the pine tree nursery and collecting snakes and all of that that was part of my child? How did that lead me to where I am today? I think just I like taking risks. I'm not intimidated by fear. Actually fear excites me. And I've learned as I've my career has evolved, and as I've been raising all of these kids through every wild phase of motherhood that when things are scary, it usually means there's something exciting or some growth that's on the other side.
Speaker 3: So super interesting, that's all right, I feel like I'm hearing it's like you never fit the mold. Your family didn't fit the mold, and it was okay, So like why I aim to fit the mold to begin with?
Speaker 4: So kind of like your possibilities are limitless, right.
Speaker 5: And being different was something that I felt like was a badge of honor. So the first house that we bought after my husband finished his graduate school, we lived in a neighborhood with a lot of families that looked a lot like ours, and moms that were staying at home with their kids. And I just was like, if I have to sit in the basement and play Little Pet Shop for the rest of my life, I will die. I cannot do this. And so I was the first to kind of start going back to work. Like I said, I was a singer and I had kind of hung up the dream of being an international opera singer when I found out I was pregnant with my first baby as a junior in college. Really hard to have an international opera career and a young family. But I kept up this and after my fifth child was born, I, with the encouragement of my husband, went out for an audition for a Vida and I was cast in that show as the mistress and on the dance core, and so I got to leave the house every afternoon to go to rehearsal for months, and then the show ran for three months, and it was like insane trying to coordinate the five kids and my husband's startup schedule and all the babysitters and all the help and we had a lot of Hamburger helper during the run of that show. But I came alive again being able to do this thing that I felt born to do, that I had a passion for and unique talents for. And I actually felt like I was a better mother, a better friend, a better wife because I was nurturing this part of me that had been neglected for so long.
Speaker 3: That is so cool, And you were absolutely speaking our listener's language. We're going to take a quick break, and then I want to talk about Chad Folks being an amazing workplace for women, and just a little bit more about the company and your life ideas. All right, we are back and that story is amazing. I mean, especially just I can hear the passion in your voice when it was maybe a little bit going against it sounds like the cultural zeitgeist that you were in to just be like, no, this is what I want. I have awesome ideas, and you know what, I'm going to try the singing thing. Even so, how did we go from singing?
Speaker 4: Two chatbooks?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: How did the journey break off? Here?
Speaker 5: How did the breakoff? Well? Best laid plans right, you have a plan of how you want your life to go. And it's anything that I've learned throughout my fifty almost fifty three years is that making plans is great, and I think that keeps you going right. But then you've got to be ready to take the pivot wherever it comes. And so our family was actually living in Florida at the time, where I grew up just minutes from the beach, in a beautiful home where I had already imagined where I was going to host all the wedding perceptions of my kids, like this is where we're going to live forever.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: I had my running friends, I had my theater friends. I was working a lot in local theaters and with a local orchestra. And like I had mentioned, my husband had been building out this you know, solution for family memories that was not going anywhere, and in a moment of like panic, he was like, we have to move to Utah. Like this little beachside town, as much as we love it, like we're never going to be able to build this company here. We've got to go to Utah. And I went to college in Utah, and I loved my time in college, but I did not love Utah. And I know my husband when we graduated, I am never going back there. And at the time he was like me neither. He was from the East Coast as well. I grew up in Florida, but there was really exciting things happening in Utah, especially around consumer tech. And my husband had flown out to Utah a couple times to pitch some investors, and he was like, that is where we have to go. There's like so much energy and the culture of family is so big there. And this was what clinched it for me. My oldest son decided to go to BYU and he got accepted and so he was going west. I had the hardest time imagining sending my baby across the country, just goodbye, go off to college. And so that was what kind of like finally like tipped it for me, like, Okay, we'll move to Utah for the business, also to follow my son to college, which he hated. Actually, at one point I had to tell him pretend we don't live here, and he did. I hardly heard from him. In fact, I called him to say, you know, when are you coming home for Christmas? Like when's your last exam? He was in Florida. He just booked his own flight, went to Florida to do his own thing. Anyway, we moved our whole family to Utah to try to give this business that my husband had been building a chance. And that's when I had my idea of like put all of that expensive code even building on the shelf, and just focus on the real problem that I am having, which is the only way my son can see the photos from the last five years of his life is in the iPad, and I'm constantly taking the iPad and the phones away from him. Right, he was just an addict. With the exception of one printed photo album that his preschool teacher had made that last year of preschool. She took photos of their parties and field trips and whatever, and she printed them off at Walgreens dropped him in this old dollar store album and he loved that album. He took it everywhere with him. In fact, the night before he went to preschool, I found him up in his room bawling his eyes out. He told me he never wanted to grow up. He'd been looking at these few photos and was feeling all these big feelings and it was adorable. But it was also this massive gut punch to me that I was failing in one of my most important mom jobs, which is to help my kids hold on to their story. There's so much power in our stories, and it comes across differently scrolling on an iPad than it does with a printed photo. And so that was the light bulb moment that pivoted all of the work that had been done previously. And like I said, it was my idea. I knew who our customer was, I knew how to talk to them, where to find them. And so instead of going off to play tennis or get yoga certified, when Deklan went off to kindergarten, I went to work. And it was the first like nine to five job I had ever had, and there was a big learning curve there.
Speaker 3: But it sounds like obviously things went in an amazing direction. I'm sure it probably sounds much more easy in retrospect and they're playing million humps and little learning points along the way. But your idea ended up getting into the hands of so many people. I was literally taking a walk before I recorded this episode and said I was going to talk to the counder of chapbooks, and she goes, oh, I have like a hundred of those all over my house.
Speaker 4: So I, oh, man, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I think so often we're just working head down, grinding it out, trying to grow, trying to like do all the things, and you sometimes forget that this is actually making a difference. Those kinds of stories make me so happy to hear it is.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about saving memories a little bit. And you definitely have me on board with the idea that printed is a little bit different than digital. Do you have like rituals you recommend around memory keeping, whether that involves using chatbooks or another platform. But like, sometimes I believe that we focus a lot on like the product and not a lot on like the process. Like a lot are the processes here that will help people preserve their family memories.
Speaker 5: We all take a million photos, right, a gazillion photos. I probably take ten times more than my husband. He always makes fun of me, But if there's one moment I want to capture, I'll just go ahead and take five to ten of them, just because you never know, you want to get like the right everyone looking whatever. And we just have such access to our phones that and our kids are so cute, they're always doing something. We're just taking so many photos, and I think it's amazing in contrast to the few photos that I have of my childhood, right, Like, it's such a blessing. But that overwhelm just causes paralysis, and a lot of us just sort of like, oh, I know I should be doing something with my photos. But a process that I have I call it my Sunday select where at the end of the week, usually Sunday afternoons or Sunday evenings, I go through my camera roll just from that week and just tackle those photos. Delete all the duplicates, delete all the screenshots, either save them or just get rid of them. I'm really actually not going to ever cook that recipe that I screenshot in, send photos that I have of neighborhood kids or of my nieces and nephews to them, just kind of declutter and pare down to what I actually want to keep that habit alone, and that's something you can start today. You don't have to feel guilty about not going back throughout the years. Start that today a weekly habit. Some people do it every day. That's overwhelming for me because I take a lot of photos for work things, and usually by the end of the week I know what I need to keep them what I don't need to keep. But just having a regular habit of curation is number one. And then it honestly is so important to back them up. And I think most of us have them backed up on Google or Amazon or the cloud, right. I hope, at the very least have them backed up in one place. I recommend having to. You can get really detailed in your curation and backup and use folders and by years. But AI has done so many amazing things in photo management that something's better than nothing done, is better than perfect, like let the automation work for you, especially when you're going through the backlog, but going forward, like get those photos out of your phone and into the hands of your family. We actually have done research with HP and with the Bump to measure the impact that printed photos have on families, and it's amazing the outcomes. I mean, number one, you're going to feel like a better parent because you're doing something that you know you should probably be doing right. And there's something about looking at printed photos that like brings more permanence into our mind, into our memories. It helps create this narrative of our family story that can be such a source of strength and resilience. There's something called elaborative reminiscing that the professor that worked with us on the HP study helped us understand the power of it's when we tell stories with great detail, and kids love to do this. Sit down with the photo book or with a printed photo, and you ask them what was happening here, and who is with you? And how are you feeling? And what happened before and what did you do after and what did you learn from this? So often our kids experience of that moment that we've caught on camera is so different from our own experience, and so allowing them to share it does a lot of things. It helps them build a greater sense of identity, it helps create better problem solving language skills. There's more connection happening between parent and child, and they are crafting this narrative of their story that is going to serve them throughout their whole life. So my suggestions are, do a regular curation of your camera starting today going forward. I've seen people share on Instauce. One hack is whatever day you're doing it, go back throughout your camera, roll back the years on that same day and curate those two. That's an amazing way to work on that backlog. But I just really feel like if we start to think about all of the years where we've done nothing, we will just feel so overwhelmed that we'll do nothing. So I like to just say that's for a later day. Maybe when I'm retired, I will get to that, but now is the time to start doing something, something's better than nothing, and then print your photos, whether it's with chatbooks, there's so many companies that do photo books. I will say the thing that is different about Chatbooks is when we built the app and built the website, I had busy moms in mind, like me and I had tried making photo books on the other platforms, and there are a million different ways to build a book, lots of templates and cute fonts and colors and designs and shapes and sizes of collages, all of those fun things. And if you have tons of time.
Speaker 4: You can make a great book.
Speaker 5: But every book that I had ever started that way, i'd never finished. And so we created a super easy way to make a chat book where you really we've taken all of that decision fatigue away, the very simple layouts, not a whole lot of choices to make. And it's the ongoing photobook subscription that really is magical because think about all the things that come into our homes, right, all the catalogs and ads and media. What if you had an ongoing, regular delivery of a photo book with the memories and not just the ones that would traditionally get made into a photo book, like the graduation and the big trip and the family reunion, all those things. Yes, you should be printing those photos and hanging on with those two. But it's the everyday magic of our everyday lives that really that is what really tells the story. And you know, when I look through the few photos that I have of my childhood. One of my favorites is a photo my mom took my room when I was in seventh grade when I decided my favorite color is purple, and I wanted the whole room purple, all the things purple. And it was a disaster. And that is just such a snapshot into my life as a seven year old. I mean it is a seventh grader. I make it a habit of taking picture. Anytime I see one of my kids rooms just horrendously out of control messy, I'll snap a picture, and that goes in our chat books because that's part of our story. And one day they will be grown adults and they will have immaculate homes. Maybe I don't know who cares, but they'll have this little snapshot to look back on, and I will too. When my house is clean and quiet, I'll remember this is where the magic was happening in the middle of this chaos and mess.
Speaker 3: And they can show it to their kids and then make them feel better about having a messy room. No, I love that exactly. I think one thing, like having these printed things around it's good for kids, it's also good for us, Like you get to savor that vacation again, you get to like remember the cute little thing that your kid did on that random class assembly or whatever. And I know, yes, like these things are living in our phone somewhere, but we're just not going to bring them out in the same way than if they're actually like part of our environment. So I really do feel like it makes sense that there's value there. I saw there's research on the kids, and I would like to know what the research is also as favorable for the adults.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Like eighty nine percent of moms say that looking at photos helps them feel like a better mom, and I think it is number one. They've actually probably punted them and that's like, you know, gold star, I did that thing that I probably should be doing. But also it gives you a chance to look back and see all the things that you're doing, Like we are doing a better job than we give ourselves credit for, right. And I know I'm in the thick of teenagers and young adult kids and that can be very trying at times, and sometimes I have an older child that I'm just absolutely losing my mind with. But looking back at photos, especially older photos, and being like, oh, yeah, we had some really special moments and at the core that really difficult teenager is a sweetheart, Like I remember those days and so it helps me like reground and reconnect. Yeah, there's powerful, powerful outcomes for parents and especially around mental health. Like that was what we were really focusing on in the survey with the bump that all the things that we can do and we have access to for our mental health, Like a photo book is like one of the most powerful mental health tools that we have at our.
Speaker 4: Fingertips and so simple. I love it.
Speaker 3: We're going to take a quick break and we'll be back with more of Vanessa. Okay, we are back. I want to ask you like a slight pivot. I read that Chatbooks was actually named one of the best places to work for women, and I want to know what is your company doing structure wise to make it so awesome, Like, because we have a lot of leaders that listen to this podcast and if they want ideas on how to make their workplace amazing or maybe to present it to their leaders if they're not the ones in charge, give us some ideas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, like I had mentioned before, this is my first like go to work nine to five job. I had observed my husband and some of his jobs, and you know, building software that's a whole nother kind of company culture. But here we had an opportunity to build a company from the ground up that really reflected our values. The mission of Chapbooks is to connect and strengthen families, and I wanted everything from the product to the company culture to reflect that. And we were in a season of our life where I didn't want to be absent from all the amazing things that were happening, and so we just created a company culture that was family first, recognizing that everyone that works for us has a life outside of Chatbooks, and we want to and expect every team member to come and bring their best self to work for eight amazing hours, but we can't be blind to the fact that they have full three sixty lives with people that depend on them and school assemblies that they need to go to and kids that get sick overnight, and then you can't come into work, And so what is it going to look like and feel like to work here at Chatbooks while being a mom, being a dad, all of those other responsibilities, And so we just center everything around five values. After working, you know, those early startup days are a grind and you're just trying to like just keep the wheels on the bus, right. But when we had a moment to think about, all right, how we want to be really deliberate about the kind of company we were building. We're building a product that serves parents and is primarily moms. We need every level of this organization to represent our customer, like we need women everywhere. So how are we going to create this working environment that will be welcoming to all kinds of women at different levels of their career. And so these values that we just have heralded, We have them painted on the walls in our offices, We use them for every interview, for every evaluation, we talk about them constantly are five star values. The pinnacle is to be a grown up. And this came out of an experience where the first little office that we had, and it was honestly just a bunch of guys developers, and my husband and I would have to put the toilet paper on the toilet roll because these guys are used to their mommy doing it and I'm like, this is not happening. You know, if number one, a chat booker is a grown up, so that entails putting the toilet paper on the toilet roll, cleaning up after yourself, and obviously, like all of the other things that we expect from grown ups, be considerate, be kind, be thoughtful, like all of those things. And the other other values are being kind and optimistic, being willing to ship and do amazing work. Those things come intention But we have this all stark culture with family first benefits that are at like the top of what is being offered here in Utah and including like full mental health services for each employee and their family. We have access to a platform that allows them to have therapy like all those things. As moms, we all of my kids are therapy right now. Like how I don't know how you live in this life without having help, but just access to tools and resources and support from the highest level of childbooks leadership to do what they need to do to bring their best self to work. And it's just we have an incredible team, a very diverse team. And yeah, getting an award like that was just super validating and super grateful for it.
Speaker 4: Well you should be proud.
Speaker 3: It's amazing, and it's these kinds of companies sometimes don't last. And here you are eleven years later and my friends got your books all over the house, So I think you're doing an amazing job.
Speaker 4: Makes me so pemple. On that note, two more things.
Speaker 3: Number one, what advice would you offer to somebody who has their own chat books in their head? I mean not specifically photo books, but has some idea they're they're excited about and they're like, where do I get started with this?
Speaker 4: What advice would you offer that young entrepreneur? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think the first thing is that there's seasons for things, right, Like I think that if I had had this idea when my oldest was going to kindergarten, I don't know if I would have been able to do it. My husband was in a different place in his career, I was literally just babies everywhere. It wouldn't have been the right time for me to do it. And so there was something there in the timing of our family and for me too, like I felt more ready then to take that on that I would have earlier. And so I hear a lot of people saying, I just really want to build a business. I really want to build a business, and it's doable to do with a bunch of young kids. It is, but it might not be right for you just because someone else is doing it. So just really look at your situation and with your partner talk about what your real goals, long term goals are and your values and if now is the time, then you just got to find the right support. And whether it's a co founder, I am like hot on a hot co founder. My co founder is very hot. No, my husband is like amazing. I love building a business while building a family with the same partner because that give and take that always comes, like we're there for each other, like with the same goal, with the same values, able to help as you go through those ups and downs of it all. But the other thing I would just say, yeah, talk to a lot of people. I think as entrepreneurs sometimes we think that our idea is we've got to guard it and keep it secret and safe. But the more people you talk to, the better the outcome. Like if it's something that someone can rip off really easily, let them like find a different idea, Like you don't want to have entering a market and being like so vulnerable to competitors. But I really feel like when the more people you talk to, you're going to learn more about the market. That you're entering the way that you want to find and sell to your customers. That's how you find the best people to come work for you. Yeah, just like network network, talk to as many people, listen to your customer, really identify who your customer is, and then really listen to what they're saying. Because I will say one of the things that was the downfall of what my husband had built for those years before chatbooks was I would actually gather these focus groups of moms, you know, to have them do demos, and they would politely listen and say, yes, I should do that. That is a really great idea. I should totally do that. By the way, should is the kiss of death. If you hear that, that means I will never Sorry, I don't have time for that. But the all question was always couldn't I print all of this in a book? And my husband at the time thought print is dead. All this is going to be safe and sound and shareable in the cloud. But I'm sorry, we should have listened to our customers say they want this printed is It turns out that was the key that is why chatbooks finally took off, because we were finally printing the photos that they cared about and we're curating. So yeah, that's so funny. Make sure this is the right season for you, and then talk to as many people as you can and learn as much as you can, especially from your perspective customer.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: I love the story of like, well, no, we can't do that, or we don't need to do that, like over and over again. Then finally you realize, wait a second, they know exactly that is great.
Speaker 5: I know, well, it's it's tough sometimes as such an entrepreneur, you're like, no, I need to be really dogged about my vision. That's what's setting us apart. Yes, and you got to listen to the market and listen to your customers. So there's tension there too, and it's it's.
Speaker 4: Tricky, super helpful.
Speaker 3: So our final thing we do this on every episode is that we have a love of the week, which can be anything. It can be a show you watched, it can be like a scenery you saw outside your window. It can be literally everything. And I always have me go first. You have an example and you haven't a big about it, But my love of the week is doing what I call a walk and talk, which is just like I'll just text a friend and be like, want to go on a walk together at like noonsh you know, like they could be in another city. But then I'll go out for a walk and steamy South Florida and they'll go for a walk in like somewhere much more pleasant, and we'll chat and the time goes by in like no time, and it's not quite as good as walking next to the person, but it's like eighty five percent is good, which is awesome. So I'm super into walking talks.
Speaker 5: I love that I actually schedule some of my meetings as a walk and talk and I'll just go out and walk around our officers and a great place to walk. But I work from home three days a week, so go walk around the trail. I love that. It's so good. Okay, I know what my love of the week is. All my kids are in town this week, including my two grand babies, So waking up to the sound of happy little grand babies is the best. And I've been digging in the basement pulling out the few little toys and books that I've saved from my kids, and watching them play with these now vintage toys is just like forget about it. It's the best. But they do leave in a week, and I'm not going to be sad about that either. So they brought three dogs with them, so we had a lot of dogs in our house right now.
Speaker 4: It's perfect.
Speaker 3: You can love the week when they're here, and then you can love your piece and quiet on the other end. Well, thank you so much for coming on in us. This has been a pleasure. Yeah, thanks for having me all.
Speaker 4: Right, we are back.
Speaker 3: So much fun to talk with Vanessa, And I have to say that does kind of makes me think about trying chatbooks since I have not been as consistent with my other photo methods as I had been previously, So we will see if I become a convert. But here's our question that came to us this week. This comes from a listener who writes, I have a question in regards to my resume and work experience as it relates to moves we've made for my husband's career. Because he works in a specific niche industry, We've moved a lot based on the location of companies that he would work for. But now that the kids are in school, we are not going to work anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't move anymore.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Yeah, we're done working, kids are in Still, we're done. We want to stay put, We're happy with the school district, et cetera. So I'm in a remote role for a large corporate company in which my role has gone completely stagnant. So I'm looking for something else. What advice do you have for someone like me who's bounced around in my career but not because of personal reasons, but because of my husband's specific job prospects. I want to be prepared for how to justify the many jobs I've had. I have nothing to hide, but I'm not sure how that's going to be perceived as I go for more senior roles.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought this is a great question, and I think this is something probably a lot of people have experienced. So you could certainly ask friends and colleagues people online about this for advice. But as I think you noted, there's nothing to hide. If you need to explain it, you can simply mention what you said that earlier in your career you moved because of opportunities based on your husband's job, but now you are settled and not planning on moving because the kids are in school. I mean, if your interviewer has children, they will totally understand that. And so you're looking for longer term opportunities, and you can even talk about that, like, I am so excited to now be able to take on a longer term opportunity. I'm so excited to see myself at this company long term and keep working that language into it. And it's hard to know how any of this will play out, but I have found interviewing is also about getting a lot of practice, especially if you're.
Speaker 1: Going to do a lot of this over the next few months.
Speaker 2: You will quickly find out what people react positively to or what they sort of raise their eyebrows, and then you will quickly learn to adjust how you spell it. And I think the upside though, of clearly the reasons you moved really didn't have anything to do with either you or the companies that you worked for in the past. It was just a circumstance sort of thing. So this means that you've got a pretty warm network I would imagine of all those places, because a lot of those companies probably regretted seeing you go out the door, and you may have been happy to have continued working for them. It just didn't work because you needed to live in California and they were in Pennsylvania or something. So I would start by reaching back out.
Speaker 1: To all of those people.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if anyone's still hiring, but they may know people who are.
Speaker 1: They may have moved to other places and have ideas.
Speaker 2: So I would really tap the fact that you have a big network from having moved around to a lot of jobs and left those jobs, not because there was anything wrong with the jobs or with you, but because of sheer circumstantial kind of things.
Speaker 3: Totally makes sense, I think one thing, and I haven't done a ton of hiring, but have definitely assisted with some. You want to hear a story that makes sense, and you have one, so like, why hide it? It's like, oh, this is like a very natural trajectory. It'll also mean if you're being honest, that you're not going to have to like talk around something things will people can kind of sense when you're.
Speaker 4: Trying to hide something, and you won't have to worry about that.
Speaker 3: And I actually think there's a way you could spin this as a plus, like, oh, I've gotten to see how so many different companies do things, and I've really been able to glean the best methods from everywhere and have assembled all these contacts. As Laura mentioned, like, you know, it's not like you've even left on bad terms. So wow, what a great network you have to draw from and that this could actually be a selling point. So great question and great thing to think through as you embark on this journey. We wish you the best of luck.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exciting to think about a new stage in your career and having a little more options and hopefully finding something that feels a little less stagnant than what you're doing now. Well, this has been best of both worlds. Sarah has been interviewing Vanessa.
Speaker 1: Quigley of Chatbooks.
Speaker 2: We will be back next week with more on making work and life fit together.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore Shoebox on Instagram.
Speaker 2: And you can find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com.
Speaker 1: This has been the.
Speaker 2: Best of both worlds podcasts. Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.