Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 3: It is Tuesday, October seventeenth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number fifty two. Welcome to the latest edition All the Break. We are live from the SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star and Man. Heading into a bye week, It's so good to be able to talk about when Cowboys go and get a win that. As Dak Prescott made it clear, it was a very important win for them. I heard Jerry this morning on one on five Do three the Fan, he said the same thing. I think everybody agrees. This was a big win that they really needed to head into this bye week. Four and two feels a lot different than three and three. They go on the road and win twenty to seventeen in a thriller, really good game. And I think we all last week we were calling this game. I think everybody had close scores. We all expected to be a close game, but as the game wore on, it really was tight. We'll break all that down for you guys. I'll start first where we usually start after a game, and I'll go around the table. I want you guys to tell me what you think is the enduring storyline of this game when you look back on the Week six of the NFL season, Cowboys versus Chargers. So startth patrick.
Speaker 5: For me, the biggest thing is, as it turns out, ladies and gentlemen, Deak Prescott is not just a torso with arms and a head.
Speaker 2: He has legs. Well, he has legs, and he really yeah we knew that, yeah, but he's using him now. He's using him now.
Speaker 5: So I mean, we talked about it quite a bit over these past several weeks, and we wanted to see Dak Prescott unleash his mobility and his escapability, and it was on full display in Los Angeles against the Chargers. And you know, you could talk about the eighteen yard option run that turned into a touchdown and the fact that he hadn't used his legs actually worked in his favor in that aspect because the Chargers defenders didn't respect him enough to actually put a spy on him in that, and he took all him. He got the touchdown, and then you look at the sixty yard touchdown toss and catch to Tony Pollard.
Speaker 2: That was an escapability play.
Speaker 5: He you know, pocket broke down, as it did several times last night.
Speaker 2: He got out of there.
Speaker 5: One of the several times that Dak Prescott extended to play, bought time to get the playmakers an opportunity to get open. They got open for him. There's to catch. Tony Pollard does the rest and then you know, ceedee lamb. You know, had a big game, and you know so Dak Prescott mobility. When you put that on film, teams have to account for that, and now that they have to account for going forward, all I want to do is see consistency with that. That's added element of the offense the Cowboys have been lacking, and when the offense has been as stille as it has been, it can only help going forward.
Speaker 6: Well, for me, this game was a little too head to head for my liking. I was sweating in a few moments, so I don't like that. I need you to give me more do better, but I'll take the win and I'll celebrate it.
Speaker 3: The fourth quarter.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly. Man, I hate it every time time. I'm not even gonna look, but I look, and I can't. I don't.
Speaker 6: I That's what I hate about sports. But at the same time, that's what you love. But aside from Dyk, I would say, Ceeli Lamb, get as mad as.
Speaker 7: You want any time you won.
Speaker 6: I mean, he was absolutely perfect for the Cowboys. He got seven of seven receptions, got everything, one hundred and seventeen yards.
Speaker 7: I mean, he did so much for the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: And again, I love the way they were able to work together. Dak in City coming off the loss against the forty nine ers and knowing and seeing the frustration that was there and it didn't. That could have turned bad, you know, but they worked on it and again there was no drama there. Dak talked about it postgame. You know, that's just kind of the nature of a competitor. And they've worked on it, so it was beautiful. There were times where Doc through a pass that I thought was targeted to someone else and then CD popped out of know where I'm at, WHOA where'd you come from? You got me there and I was loving it, so great job to them both for just kind of cleaning up the game and getting in synct this week.
Speaker 4: When you play run defense, you got to play it as a unit, and they did a great job against Austin Eckler last night. In this football game, it really started up front with Hankins his ability to show he's not just this big, massive man in the middle. He's got some agility to him, He's got movement to him, and he's got the ability to spin when they try and block him. He's able to get off blocks. He could be disrupted that way. Him and Mozzie Smith actually did a really nice job. You got a really good game from Damou and Clark the way that he was able to play down hill. There was one time on one of the better Eckler runs where he had the chance to kind of come up and make it a two yard play, ended up being a six yard run. But overall, though him Lawrence this front, Mark Bill did a super job. Yeah, Bell did a super job of controlling and not allowing. The previous week, he saw the San Franciscos offensive line, and San Francisco has a better line when you play against the line that's not as good. You got to take advantage of that. The Cowboys did a great job of doing that. Front seven football safety's getting down sometimes when they needed to make it happen. But you could watch the tape and see these guys getting off blocks all day. Austin Eckler never got going in this football game, and that was going to be a key because in week one he did. He killed the Dolphins and you're kind of thinking, oh, they're going to try and run the ball. When they tried to run the ball, there was no gains, no gains. Game to three game three gain a one. That's how your Cowboys played run defense yesterday.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: All right, let's start breaking down this thing. Let's start with the head man, Dak Prescott. Yesterday, he was twenty one to thirty two hundred and seventy two yards, one passing touchdown, one hundred and nine point three passer rating. In addition to that, led the team in rushing seven rushers for forty yards and one rushing touchdown. Overall. As you watch Dak Prescott play yesterday, how did you assess him on the field?
Speaker 5: I give him an A not an A plus because there are you know, a couple of throws that he'd like to have back. He talked about after the game. He hopped heavily on that throw to Tony Pollard on that deep post that he said he's going to have a nightmare about because he really wanted to get back. He had him, He had him. But aside from that, I mean, you look at what he was able to do. I just talked about what he was able to do with the legs, but the timeliness of the plays that he was able to make as well, kept the Chargers defense off balance completely for most of the evening, basically willed the Cowboys offense to critical plays and third down conversions. And then you know the efficiency of his production five point seven yards per per carry when he you know, took off and ran with the ball. So yeah, I mean, Dak Prescott, he basically did exactly what he needed to do as far as getting the offense moving when it couldn't move. Brandon Cooks, that connection came alive last night. Ceedee Lamb. You talked about it could have gone left. Instead it went right, which is where it needed to be one hundred and seventeen yards, And really that could have been a one to fifty one to seventy five yard game for ceedee lamb if they kept you know that a connection alive in the second half. So I'll give Dak Prescott a very very solid a for that. The stat line's not going to blow you away, but when you really start digging deep into it. And this was not the best night for Cowboys in pass protection as far as their front five. He was under durest quite a bit, but he was seven for nine when when pressured fo one hundred and five yards passed away in the one fifty two. Dak Prescott came to play last night.
Speaker 6: Yeah, very clean game, no turnovers, Jayleen hurts, No, just kidding.
Speaker 7: I don't have hers. I actually like him, but just a fan base to.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: But just a very nice job by Dak, just keeping it clean and and protecting the ball, knowing reading things well, knowing when to take off and run. He didn't have great protection from the old line, and they were struggling all night, I thought. But he did such a nice job. A lot of those passes, they were so clean and so perfect and so fast and quick that every decision he took for the nothing comes to mind that was really bad.
Speaker 5: A couple of throw like back, but there was nothing that you were like, you don't kill.
Speaker 4: The gallop. The one gallop throw was a little a little tall.
Speaker 5: Yeah, as there's not.
Speaker 7: He threw riding gallops hand and to.
Speaker 2: See he should have had Yeah, that should have been a touch.
Speaker 4: But they had one up the same the other one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But like there were a couple of times I think, and I had a couple people hit me up on Twitter. There were a few times in the game where there were some open guys and I don't think Dak necessarily saw yeah, which again, which, yeah, that doesn't kill you as long as you're not making bad throws and throwing into cover, right, you can you can accept those, especially in the close game that was kind of nasty. Use there's a lot of things going on that doesn't kill you. So it's yeah, he didn't have a perfect night, but I think he played over all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, he had a very good uh Final final qualification from me and everything. You see it in the stats, you see it in the way he led the team and just the way he was connecting with with different guys. And maybe it's also I don't know, because this is where he got kind of fuzzy and confusing to me, whether when it's like the player versus the play caller and what Mike McCarthy is currently doing, that's when I don't really know whose decision or who's allowing what. But hey, it worked and they got to win.
Speaker 4: They had really a big problem with the twist fronts ups up front. That's where your pressures were coming from. The Chargers decided they're going to move your offensive lineman, and that's where they've had some problems. Dak benefited greatly from the guys around him. Cook's had a great game CD as you talked about, was outstanding. The third down drive. The third down catch by Cooks that got him a first down and kept the drive going at the end was a huge play. Tony Pollard does not get it nearly enough credit for being a blitz pickup guy that he is. He is his ability to step up and square up and hit people, and sometimes it compresses him, but he stays. He knows who to hit, he knows how to cross the pocket, he knows how to stay out of the way. He's good at picking up his keys. The play that he made on sixty yards he was helping protection. Dak flushes to his right, and all of a sudden, it's like everybody's running trying to cover the outside guys and maybe Dak running with the ball, and Dak, with good vision, sees Pollard instead of Paular drifting with him. He goes straight up the field good right to the middle. Nobody's there. He breaks the tackle from Davis. Davis had a really rough game last night for them, but his ability to block and then like, oh no, we're in trouble. Now make a play, and he is able to do that. But overall, the Cowboys have got to figure out for this protection about these twist fronts. It happened in San Francisco, it happened in this week against the Chargers. They've got to kind of figure this out. They're not passing these stunts well enough, and hopefully they'll get that figured out. But the quarterback did a good job. Back did a good job. Receivers did a good job of bailing them out.
Speaker 3: On that point, how much do you think that the issues they're having right now with picking up those stunts and those twists are a result of the fact that this offensive line hasn't played together this is only second game now. Yeah, as you said, Brian, where you get in that dream now having all those guys together, do you think this is something that can get better with time.
Speaker 4: I hope it does because they're not going to practice any this week, you know, with the collective bargaining, they're going to get basically the whole week off. So anything to do game plan scheme wise, whatever going forward is going to be have to be discussed with the coaches. But yeah, it's something that they're going to see every week. That's the way it is with the league. How many years we've been around Kellyn Moore, he's never thrown a screen pass at the running back. What happened he saw previous week Dallas couldn't handle a screen pass. I would say, well, let's throw it to Eckler here and he runs it for twenty five yards or so. They're going to test you every single time. If you can't pick these twists up and you can't pass them, it's something they're going to have to work on. But it you know, maybe it is something about all the guys not playing together, but that is somewhat of a veteran group.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the left guards he's he's young, the Sinner's struggling with it a little bit, and Martin and Steele haven't been as clean as they normally are, and so that that's a little bit of a concern going forward.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the more reps, the better, I mean, bottom line, more rips, the better that we talked about a couple weeks ago, if that, I mean, the more reps these guys get. As this combination of Front five, the more the chemistry builds, the more the kind of the telepathy built as far as timing and feel being able to feel the guy next to you and knowing that if I go right, he's going to go left.
Speaker 2: If I go left, he's going to go right.
Speaker 5: So I'm optimistic that, you know, as the season goes along, they'll get better at combating that. But they're definitely going to have to get better at it before week nine because when they come out of the BI week yessy, they're hosting the Los Angeles Rams, which can be challenging as a front as well not at all, So that's going to be a good, you know, sharpening device as far as trying to make sure that you're ready for the Philadelphia Eagles because that's really going to be as far as the defensive front. You thought the forty nine ers front was bad, and it is bad as far as you know, bad boys, but the Eagles they're they're coming with the smoke, So figure it out. But to your point, one of the only ways to figure it out is to keep this unit healthy and getting reps on the field together.
Speaker 6: That's the only Sorry, I was just gonna say. You said the healthy, and that's the thing that kind of pops up in my mind because you look at them. Each guy has enough experience, some plenty of experience to make it work individually to where they're not struggling on those matchups. But then you talk about being healthy. That's the only thing that pops in my head.
Speaker 4: Because it might not be completely healthy right now. It's center, and they might not be completely healthy at.
Speaker 7: Right guard, and that may be it.
Speaker 6: Because other than that, I mean, you look up by name and experience, these weren't healthy. Should be one of the best groups you got and like around the NFL too, I would say, in my opinion in the O line, So it's just maybe it's a health issue, because I still find it hard to believe that the second week that they're all together, they're still kind of struggling this like that because the communication thing. I get it, Yeah, you need to practice and all that, but some are individual mistakes.
Speaker 7: So hopefully they figure.
Speaker 5: And let Tyrone still dealing with to your point, So, I mean, they're kind of banged up for the most part, but they're not one hundred percent healthy, and hopefully this by week will play largely into hoping that they can be as healthy as possible for two weeks from now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the.
Speaker 3: Thing that concerns me the most about this offensive line is that to a man, you can go down the line. I don't think any of them have played up to what I thought were of what standard was for each of them individually and where I've seen them play the level I've seen them play throughout their careers, varying levels of their careers because they all have different number of years in the league, but none of them are playing up to that standard. And that's the part that concerns me a little bit. But again, willing to give it time because I do think that that playing in the offensive line is we've talked about a lot, is about the unit more so than it is the person, and if they can start to figure out how the chemistry should work, maybe that solves a lot of these problems for them. We're gonna go and take our first break. We'll come back. We got more to talk about. We'll talk about the wide receivers and one connection that didn't seem to work last night, but the Cowboys kept going back to it. We'll talk about that when we come back. Dallas, Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 10: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking.
Speaker 10: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assist in Erica.
Speaker 5: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 10: Erika is only available in the English language. You mut download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on sele like mobile devices. Message dat rate applied, remember fdic.
Speaker 11: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you.
Speaker 12: Dear Doctor?
Speaker 9: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 13: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier to cry on?
Speaker 11: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real Doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 13: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Dee equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agon Turf to find a location near you. Back to the break.
Speaker 4: Come out to AT and T Stadium on February twenty fourth for the Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship Series. Watch the world's best two wheeler racers converge on one nine of a NonStop action into a unprecedented access to the sport's biggest stars with an upclose view of their race bikes and their team rigs at FanFest. Tickets are on sale now at SeatGeek dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 3: Welcome Back. It is the second segment of the Break Wheel Live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. This segment's brought to you by blockchain dot Com. Okay, here we go. So here's what we're going to do is talk about the wide receivers. Yesterday he was an interesting part. Seven of Dak's nine incompletion. Yesterday he had nine total incompletion. Seven of them were targeted at Michael Gallup seventeen of eighteen. He was seventeen or eighteen when he was throwing the Lamb, Cooks or Pollard. Only one in completion to those three wide receivers. My question for you guys is what's happening with that connection? What are you guys seeing. Is this a situation where Dak's forcing the ball? Do you think it's a situation where they're just not connecting. They're wide open opportunities and they're just missing them. What are you seeing from that connection? Particularly?
Speaker 5: I think it's interesting that when you look at the connection between Gallup and Deck, it's just it's the inconsistency that throws me off because you look at what he was able Gallup was able to do against the Arizona Cardinals. He was one of the few that had a really strong game against the Cardinals, and that included a pretty solid separation rate.
Speaker 2: Look at what you gets against the Patriots.
Speaker 5: He had a four point four yard separation rate, second best of any receiver not named Cavante Turpin forty four yards after the catch. So you've seen as recently as a couple games ago that this connection can work when it gets going early. But when things go left for them early incomplete here, overthrown pass here, it kind of sets the tone for them for the rest of the game, and that tends to be what carries the rest of the game. Like when they can't get on early and get on a heater early gallop and dack, that connection, it tends to just be ice cold the rest of the game. And don't necessarily know why other than just the psychology of maybe one of both of them just trying too hard at that point, Like you said, then it becomes forceful as opposed to it being organic. But I mean, interestingly enough, we talk about Brandon Cooks, who finally had a really good game with the Cowboys and was utilized appropriately. His rate of separation wasn't much different last night in Los Angeles than Michael Gallup. Gallup was two point one, which was the low of all receivers, Cooks was two point five. So when you go and look at the film, then you start to look at it contextually and say, Okay, what were the play calls, what was the coverage? Look things like that. But I mean Gallop in DAC they the connection exists. But again, my biggest thing is it feels that if it doesn't work on the first one to three targets, it's probably not going to work at all that game, which is different from it if it doesn't work for the first one or two targets to Lamb, they can still get it going and go on the heater.
Speaker 2: There's something different with that dynamic there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what's weird to me.
Speaker 6: Sorry, what's weird to me is when you look at the stats and everything and I haven't gone or haven't had time to do anything this morning, but definitely, yeah, definitely haven't had time to look back at what was happening in each play and where guys were lining up and who was open or not.
Speaker 7: But it's weird to me.
Speaker 6: When you see, uh, one, Lamb should be the one with the most targeted passes and that hasn't happened. Then you look at Brandan Cooks. He finally had a game in the second half, he started showing up and all that and making it work. But still you want to see they'll target it even higher. But what blew my mind is Jake Ferguson. Historically in Dak's career, the tight end has been the safety net, safety blanket to Dak, Prescott and Jake. Yes, there have been time earlier in the season where it hasn't worked, but typically it works and he'll catch the ball and give you some game.
Speaker 7: And he only had one reception, so again it was.
Speaker 2: Opened last night. There are several times I was like, Jake, Jake, So.
Speaker 6: It's that's the That's what's strange to me because that has been the one position that tends to work for Dak. Tight end, tight end, and it's just like slowly kind of disappearing and you.
Speaker 7: Don't see it.
Speaker 6: And I don't think it's necessarily because Jake is playing a bad game because.
Speaker 7: He has caught the ball. So it's just it's just odd.
Speaker 6: And again and you guys said the word forcing, it did seem like they were forcing it. Like last night it turned into one of those where okay, just just stop and that's not to say anything necessarily fully negative about Michael Gallop because what was.
Speaker 7: That one game that he was mainly the only guy really Arizona.
Speaker 6: So he does have games like that sometimes, but it's not his tendency. He's just there's no consistency there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the word is consistency, because there's throughout his history he's had two or three games in a row and they'll disappear for five. You will never see him on the stat sheet. They tried last night to get him the football. They drug him underneath that kind of side arms it to him. He's going to try and carry him across the formation to you know, across the middle there to catch the ball and get the first down, catch it, turn up, and then Gallup is kind of hesitant, like, I'm not sure where I'm supposed to really? Am I supposed to keep going? Am I supposed to stop? He hesitates? Now the ball's yeah, third down play, and they set it up for him to get the ball. They drag it and they try and rub it with the with the crossers, with Ferguson running you know to him, and then under and then so they're going to try and get him open. But he's still he's got a little separation there that kind of side arms it because of the way the defender was. He had to just but he led him enough to where if Gallup keeps running, it's going to be a catch. The problem is, though, like I think Patrick's right about that. I think he's one of those guys. I think he's a confident player. When he lacks confidence, he doesn't play as well. The couple he body catches balls when he gets nervous. We've seen that happen to him a couple of different times. You know, he just bet his his inconsistency. Two good games, four bad games. One good game, two bad games. It's just kind of been his career and I don't think it has anything to do with his health or anything like that. I was personally in that game last night thinking if they targeted CD twenty times, there have been twenty catches. That's just how I felt him to play.
Speaker 7: And that's when you get the vibe of like having a good game one the one.
Speaker 4: Is clearly a more confident player. The other one struggles and even when they try and help him, and we always ask, well, man, they need to get him more involved in you know, you're thinking like, yeah, get Lamb more involved, great, get Gallop more involved. Well we did, but this is what happens to you occasionally. You have to be aware of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like they want it to game thinking there was a matchup they wanted to exploit with Gallop and it just didn't work. And it just didn't work. You can't happen on happen up on ten targets.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 3: That's something that I think is is scripted. That's something you have. You're making an intentional.
Speaker 4: Tried to get now like we're talking about and he just stopped. Yeah, and Dak's like, bro, you got to keep going, just keep going. And because he threw the ball out in front where if he just runs it, catches it and goes, they got a first down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when the drop touchdown was big. Yeah, I mean we talk about building confidence. That would have been massive, not only for the Cowboys offense, who really needed to get points on that on that play, but if your Gallop and you're trying to work through what might be a confidence issue because things aren't necessarily going the way you want at that point in the game, you get that touchdown. All of a sudden it's an explosive injection of confidence. But what happens you drop it and then you sink a little bit lower and then the rest of the night just becomes the rest of the night.
Speaker 3: Yeah. If there's a guy that I want to see them do that with is Brandon Cooks. Probably a little bit more than Michael Gallup, just because he's so die. There's just so much. I heard Jerry talking on the fan this morning and I agree wholeheartedly. It's like they got to use his speed up feel and you saw it last night with his furs picked it up for fourteen yards and I'd mentioned on that video. I put on Twitter what they did with Calevanti Turpin in that game against Niners, and I was like, that's the same thing they can do with Cooks. Like they're just not using him in that way. There are opportunities to be able to match him up and force safeties into decisions where they have to decide on two deep threats. And if you got a Cook's or you got a Turpin with that speed, good luck with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they Cooks is your best route runner in my opinion. Yeah, the way on that third down catch, the way that he was able to drive Samuel. I mean he Samuel's cushion just got closed and it just turned into like, oh panic, And then you know it, Cooks just stops and turns and breaks back and there's the ball right there. And that's that's what you gotta have, man, those route runners that drive defenders off and scare the hell out of them that they're going to go buy them. But then they come back and get the ball and you keep the sticks moving.
Speaker 3: All right, we're going to take our final break. We'll come back. Let's talk a little bit of red zone offense. We'll be back, Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 4: Are you.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah? Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast, reliable, secure. It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Don't put off getting your oil change, Dallas.
Speaker 12: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier, but Dallas Cowboys visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the.
Speaker 4: Break something I have absolutely no guts ever to do the twenty twenty four PBR World Finals. That's professional bull riding for you there, Amber Garcia.
Speaker 7: I know what is Ryan. I was not born South America.
Speaker 4: From South American bull riders are really actually very com.
Speaker 7: Not from South America. I'm just saying that.
Speaker 4: Generally it's their South America Caribbeans.
Speaker 7: Going over gun stuff.
Speaker 4: You guys make a lot of good drinks in the Caribbean. I'll say that maybe not ride bulls Okay, they're taking over at and T Stadium on May May Yeah, May eighteenth and nineteenth. Don't miss your chance to see the biggest and the best bull riding action as the world's best riders fight for the coveted gold Buckle. It all comes down to this. Two day ticket packages are on now at sea geek dot com, the official ticketing partner of a T and T Stadium.
Speaker 3: If we all had to go and ride a bull, which one of us stays no longer.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna bet. I'm gonna bet Patrick.
Speaker 3: Will you think Patrick stays?
Speaker 4: I think Patrick will down the longest right?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 7: No, I have long legs.
Speaker 3: I think intimidate the bull.
Speaker 2: She walked up to appointments with her fingers like, listen, you're not going to throw it.
Speaker 3: He just starts making Spanish on top of that, like the little bulls A little confused.
Speaker 4: The question would be, though, Ambar, would you wear the helmet and the chest plate thing or just the cowboy hat like the old school way of writing bulls?
Speaker 7: Are you kidding me? You can get killed riding a bull like chance? No, I'm saying like.
Speaker 2: Shook one.
Speaker 7: Definitely, hell man, you those things are dangerous.
Speaker 4: Just put the shades then, like say, Ambar, go on, if you'm gonna do that, danger, prepare danger for the gold buckle.
Speaker 3: allR we have devolved enough, we're gonna get back to it.
Speaker 4: Let's talk Calbut yeah, win one point eight million dollars for playing golf, bull riders get about twenty five thousand or something for risking their lives exactly.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go. Let's talk a little bit about this defense yesterday. Overall, really great performances, Brian, you'd mentioned it earlier, how well they did against the run by twenty three carries for fifty three yards. That was a two point three average, and echo they only allowed him twenty seven yards on fourteen carries, a one point nine average. That all being said, they went into this game having to adjust to losing their middle linebacker in Layton vander esh Were they successful in finding a way to work this defense without him?
Speaker 5: They were, and in large part because, like like Brian said in the first segment, Da Moon Clark stepped up and played very well in the run defense. He played sideline the sideline, but also he filled those gaps when they came available, and he often met Eckler at the line of scrimmage, or not far from the line of scrimmage, but glowing golden circle around Marquise Bell. What Marquise Bell was able to do against the Chargers was nothing short of stellar. It was a stupendous outing for Marquise Bell. And keep in mind, this is a young man who was basically thrown into the fire as this hybrid guy following the loss of de Marvion Overshown. This is the Overshown package that the Cowboys are basically utilizing him in. And he stepped in and he was making impact plays, you know, at several points over the first five games. But if you look at what he did against the Chargers, I mean, Eckler is having nightmares about Marquise Bell. There's one play in particular, Eckler took the handoff he was going up I think it was off the A gap, and almost as soon as he got the ball and looked up, there was Marquise Bell and there.
Speaker 2: Was some wood being laid.
Speaker 5: And then you look at the incomplete pass on Eckler and the flat that was jarred loose. I mean the Cowboys defense and the linebackers particularly, they came to play ball and we talked about it losing LVE. You can't overstate the magnitude of that, particularly in the run defense. But credit to Dan Quinn for scheming this the right way, and credit to those guys because it also goes down to execution, and boy were they executing last night.
Speaker 7: I literally have nothing else to add to that. That was well said. They did a nice job.
Speaker 6: They did a very nice job adapting and adjusting and making the changes that they needed to. I thought the most struggles that came from the defense were more on the secondary. That's where you start seeing again once again you're missing Trevon Diggs, Stephan Gilmour. At times, it's not the guy that you expected.
Speaker 2: Him because he doesn't have that speed.
Speaker 6: But then he'll make place, He'll make some place. You're like, okay, okay, let me back off a little bit. But he's just again not the consistent type of player. Darron Blend stepping up that all to say, giving the sense of Leyton vander Esch and then a guy like Trevon Diggs. Those are two key players on your defense. I thought they handle it pretty nicely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the pressure was really really good, and I think that rattled that rattled their quarterback Herbert a little bit. I don't think there were some throws that he made, the double moves you mentioned Ambar, they got bland on a couple of those. Keenan Allen is a pain in the ass to deal with. We all understand that right now, and you know that's that's something that you know a lot of teams. The Cowboys are not the only team they had to deal with that, but he is an outstanding player. But the pressure, the consistent pressure, their ability to choke the run, I think helped them in this football game. The Chargers are team at the end that don't know how to finish. They lose a lot of games at the end because things happened to them and you forced them into those things. It wasn't just the Chargers making mistakes. It was your pressure on them, your ability to stop the run. When the the adjustment that they were able to make when Micah went down is that as an edge rusher or inside rusher, it was too safe and a linebacker. Clark, Bell and Wilson were playing, you know, and so right then and there, that was their adjustment. It was like, Okay, if we're gonna play Micah down. This is how we're going to try and match up. We're going to put two safeties down with Clark and see if we can do it. You mentioned the run through that Bell had for the tackle for loss. Did a great job of reading it. Reading the play guard tries to get him, guard doesn't get him, He's through the hole, then tackle for loss. That's the kind of awareness that you get with with Marquise Bell, the way that he's able to play, the way the ability for him to see it and get to it and finish on the play. Really good job by the defense again against a very very difficult quarterback to play against and an wide receiver that can make a lot of plays on the outside.
Speaker 5: And also credit to the defensive line as well. I mean you talk about run defense and pressures, I mean DeMarcus Lawrence just continues to set the standard as far as run defense for an edge rusher. He's just absolutely phenomenal. He's doing on the front side, He's chased him down from the backside.
Speaker 2: He has no quit in him.
Speaker 5: And then OsO Diggi zoo Will continues game after game to just level up. I mean, he's disrupting the backfield from the inside of the pocket, which, as we all know, is basically how the best way to rattle a quarterback, any quarterback, young, old, doesn't matter. Osa had a win rate of twenty five percent roughly last night one out of every four snaps he was in.
Speaker 2: The offensive backfield. We can have it.
Speaker 5: So that defensive line you talked about Jonathan Hankins so agile for his size, it's phenomenal. So yeah, Cowboys defensive line did their job and then some and then like I said, the linebacker corps and guys like Marky Spell stepping up, the mont Clark's stepping up big. It's just it was a fantastic outing. And now we get to see, hopefully after the bye week, what Rashaun Evans looks like in this unit that has just shown that they can shut down a guy like Austin Eckler.
Speaker 3: After starting off so hot. When it comes to the sacks that they were able to register over the last two weeks, Cowboys gotten only one sack in each game. Does that concern you at all?
Speaker 12: Or you do?
Speaker 3: You look at it from the standpoint of they still are leaguing the league in quarter pressure percentage, and so the pressure is more important than the sacks.
Speaker 4: Well, they got the one sack when they really needed it that closed the game. The press the pressures affected the way that they played the game. The Chargers played the game. Uh, I think that. You know, Kellen Moore knew what he was up against. You know, he tried to scheme at the best he could, but it really you know, the pressure forced them to miss some throws. His you know, he wasn't comfortable in the pocket and moving around and having to deal with the busted up finger on the left hand. I don't think helped his situation at all. But yeah, I know that there were some people that were talking to Doug Nussmyer after the game and I got a chance to visit with and they were saying that that he was even you know, Herbert is banged up. He's trying to play through some things right now, and you know, hey, there's no excuse. The Cowboys did a great job of getting after him. That's the bottom line. The pressures always affect Sacks are great turners, a great the heck, Dron Blanket had two interceptions in that game. He very easily could they.
Speaker 3: Turn over one could have been a pick.
Speaker 4: Six easier on there but the pressure was what made the difference in this football game. The sack was the one that finished it off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and sacks will always always matter. Pressures matter as well, though, And that's the problem I have with any faction of the fan base that kind of shrugs off pressures as if they're irrelevant. They're not irrelevant. They go to the psychology of the quarterback that you're playing against. It shrinks the mental window for that quarterback and eventually they start kind of feeling pressure that's not even their phantom pressure. So that's what we kind of saw against Austin excuse me, not Austin club, but justin Herbert the Cowboys and Michael Parsons for example. Yes, he had what turned out to be a game ceiling sack led to Stefan Gilmore getting the interception. But if Micah doesn't get that sack, and if Micah doesn't have eight pressures on the night like he did, and DeMarcus Lawrence with pressures and also Digi zul with pressures, if Herbert doesn't feel those pressures, then he doesn't feel panicked in those type of situations where it feels like, oh, there's something coming on the backside. Maybe there was, maybe there was not, the fact that you made him rattle like that means pressure is matter and they will continue to matter. So yeah, you absolutely want to see the Cowboys get home more often, period, point blank.
Speaker 2: You want to see it, you need to see it.
Speaker 5: But it's also true that the fact that they're in the opposing backfield as regularly as they are, those are impacting games. Those are causing quarterbacks and those timing windows in their head to shrink, and then that impacts what they can or can't do.
Speaker 6: I think those things, Sorry, those things kind of go very hand in hand. I see pressures. I'll take pressures all day long rather than sacks. But sacks I see them as like an energy you shot, like you take a quick energy booster and then you get that confidence and you know everybody it just makes you play better along that because you got that energy. But other than that, I mean, you take pressure all day long because of everything that you just said how it affects everything else.
Speaker 2: Pressures get you wins, sex get you paid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they need to clean up the penalties on defense. But then again, Land Clark's crew helped you in a thurday and nineteen, So it's kind of a yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, we'll take some of those.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because then you got the pump fiasco. There was no help there. You know, that should have been fair catching appearance. And then jayln Tober was also blocked in the back on that same play. But you know, sure, you know they helped.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: So, how concerned you guys about this is now happened? This is a recurring theme for this defense. They lose receivers or they just get beat flat out, beat down.
Speaker 2: Feel.
Speaker 3: Now, yesterday they weren't able to convert a couple of those, but if they would have, that was two touchdowns that basically the chargers left on the board. How concerned are you that? Or it's a situation, excuse me, a situation where you look at it and say, the pressure is the reason why they can't complete those even if they lose or get beat down. Feel their pressure is so good that protects this defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just that's a tough one because to me, the pressures are great. But I've also said quarterbacks under pressure make completions, and you know sacks do in drives a lot of the time, take you out of field, grinche whatever. But The thing about it is, yeah, I hope that that some of the things that double move things we see. We're going to see the twists on the offensive line. We're going to see more double moves. They're going to You got to prove to these coordinators that you play against that you can handle these things. If you don't, you're going to continue to see that. But yeah, it's an absolute concern. The twist fronts on offense the double moves on defense, those are absolutely two things you need to worry about.
Speaker 5: The secondary just needs to make sure that they're not assuming the pressure is going to happen. There's a way to be confident in your defensive front to say, you know what, I know those guys are going to get back there, but I still have to remain sticky on my wide receiver. And when you see that start to happen, then you won't have the concern about guys like Keenan Allen getting behind you. And yes, this could have been a touchdown if not saved by the pressure on Herbert that then rattled him that made him overthrow the ball. Because sooner or later you're gonna run up against a quarterback that's not going to overthrow the ball brock Party, So you got to make sure on those kinds of guys that, Yeah, that's where sacks actually truly matter, because you got to take a guy like brock Party down. Otherwise he's going to find a guy like Brandon Iyuk and that Keenan Allen this situation that the charges weren't able to convert on. So Yesack, that's why I said sex matter, point blank, period, But so do pressures. But it's also contextual and when you're with the secondary, when you're looking at the secondary, and I'm confident in those guys, I mean, dron Bland, it remains even though he had his struggles last night, remains one of the best corners in the league. Still kind of finding his legs on the boundary. But we've also seen him now get interceptions on the boundary, so he'll learn as he gets more reps out there, you know. And Jordan Lewis again, I think he'll he'll come on and come better because he's been playing well with the exception of last night. And you know, Stefan Gilmore, I think they figured out or they already know that you don't have the speed of Gilmore, that you had the younger Gil, so a lot of times what they're trying to do is drag him across the field so to keep him trailing as opposed to keeping him stuck to the hill. And that's how you take advantage of it. When you don't do it that way and you try to play him straight up, you know, you get a game ceiling interception.
Speaker 2: So that's how it has to be played.
Speaker 6: I think it's I was just gonna add that it's definitely concerning, especially when you don't know how much you can trust trust your offense, because that's another thing. Last night's game, you were able to win because the offense was able to score some points, but you never know what kind of offense you're gonna get with the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All Right, we appreciate you guys. Jonas will be back tomorrow, actually tomorrow, we'll have our matchup shows tomorrow, and Brian's gonna be on Talk and check this out tomorrow. Got Kyle Yeomans and Barry Church. Brian brought us and Kurt Daniels on talking. Of course, on storyline with Nick, you'll have a Nick and Nate Newton will be joining him then on Cowboys Breaking eleven o'clock. I've got Nick Harris and Danny McCrae and John Showed joining me. That should be a fun show. Mixed shots will have Bill Jones, Mickey Spagnola and Christy Scales and then Hanging with the Boys Shannon Gross, Aisha Morrison, Patrick Walker and Heck Maharrison. That should be a fun show as well. Players Lounge, Dewy Scrugs, Jesse Holly Everson, Wallas and Just Navarrees and then Girls Talk Boys Talk Guess what amber you make your debut on Girls Talk Boys Stock with Niicole Hutchinson, Isaiah stand Back In Savannah, Hugh Miller. So it should be a fun day tomorrow. Make sure you check us out, start in the morning, ride with us all day. We won't have shows on Thursday and Friday. I'm gonna give these guys a little time to recharge, and then on Monday we'll do another matchup show. So it's gonna be a fun few days. I hope you guys will join us till the end. For Patrick Walker, Brian brought us Amber Garcia. I'm Derek Hiltz and this has been the Break Live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 9: Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.