Speaker 1: Coming up on a Get Loud podcast, we will get you ready for the Dolphins and Commanders. We'll also listen to Fred's take on Christmas trees and it's the turkey lay disrespect.
Speaker 2: The turkey legs skin the hurt around the world that's coming out.
Speaker 1: He ain't do whatever want it is to Get Loud podcasts. Anybody's seek Yeah, Jinks smooth.
Speaker 2: Hey baby, happy holidays. Did you how you enjoy your holidays?
Speaker 1: My holiday was the greats.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I had four days off. Yeah, spent some time with the girls, spent some time with friends, slept in Yeah, watched a bunch of football, had some drinks.
Speaker 3: It was awesome.
Speaker 2: I mean, say, you.
Speaker 3: Didn't bring up eating good. You didn't bring up all the football that you watched.
Speaker 2: I watched tons of football, fried tons of turkey until like my stomach started to unset itself when I see those turkey legs get taken out of the Salvation Army Bold. Matter of fact, that's why Northern Virginia we love to support good will, right, we do support somebody like for that reason right there, Listen, I was old man. They planned it like this means that dak in Dallas said you know what, We're gonna beat these boys so bad.
Speaker 3: And then you know what, when they had scored thirty one, he told.
Speaker 1: Them they they said, we're gonna score again.
Speaker 2: He said, not now, not now, Jenx, not now, we ain't gonna eat these lab Now we're gonna get him one more scored and we're gonna eat these legs on. I was so listen. It was just a bad weekend for me. My daughter goes to Old Miss. Oh No, so because I got two things, because I've been playing football on Thanksgiving my whole life. The Egg Bowl, Old Miss Mississippi State, I'm watching. I got two games to watch. My daughter won both Old Miss beat Misssippi State. And she's a Dallas Cowboy fan. This is my Cowboys fan. This is my daughter there.
Speaker 3: If I tell her to do go right.
Speaker 2: She going left.
Speaker 1: How in the world you played for this organization?
Speaker 2: Her granddaddy started with her granddaddy military, thanks for everything you've done for us. He's a he's a Cowboy fan, and my daughter it's one of those if dad be like, yeah, do that, she'd be like, no, I'm doing this. And so she called and ragged me on all night long about how many l's hot L's I took Oh my god, yes, So it was a it was emotional Thanksgiving for me.
Speaker 3: You know, neither one of my teams won.
Speaker 2: It was just it was down here for me.
Speaker 1: James, I want to take you back for just a moment when you saw that turkey leg, the disrespect and the planning like you were talking about where they were like, nah, we're gonna get one more. I still I read that story. I was like, you gotta be kidding.
Speaker 2: The first of all, they probably had to tell the shell Friday, right, we need twenty two chicken legs, I mean turkey legs. What y'all gonna do with them? I'm gonna put them into salvation thing. We're gonna eat them. Doing the game, they took their helmet off walking to the sideline eating turkey legs. That's the most disrespectful things I have seen since Joe Horn pulled out the cell phone, Like since t o pull it out the sharpie annimals. You're putting out a turkey leg what, dude? I think the team just don't get had this because the prior playing and it takes for this, the timing, it takes for this. It's disgraceful, right, So that's where I'm at when it comes to Dallas. I can't wait to see them lose in the playoffs. I'm gonna bring these turkey legs back up.
Speaker 1: I saw years ago. This was so pre playned and disrespectless in the college game. I gotta look this up. And TCU was playing SMU. It's not a huge drivel, I know, on the grand scheme of things. SMU, I believe, was marching on TCU's home field and they all had seeds like in the pockets. So the band finished playing and formed SMU and then drop the seeds. So in the middle of TCU stadium, this was a different type of grass started growing, and SMU started growing on the middle of their football fild because they planned ahead.
Speaker 2: Hold up, hold up, they dropped grass seeds. Yes, when did they drop the seeds? And how did it?
Speaker 3: What you mean?
Speaker 1: The in their halftime performance the band played, they form SMU and then they just drop the seeds quietly, these different types of grass seeds, and then their logo SMU started growing on TCU's home field. It was a long time ago. Not instantly, no, not instantly. It took like a couple of weeks and they're like, what is this.
Speaker 2: That is masterful? It's not gradest masterful.
Speaker 3: Who do we play in the grass?
Speaker 2: We could do that in Philadelphia, like literally, like if I were still playing right now, I just put grass seeds in my cleak, just come back, wily drop and every time I make attack and just drop some grass seeds in there.
Speaker 1: Like listen, you see some spouts chel like what's going on in midfield? And then you see it start to form.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, you know what? But it takes that youthful thinking. That's why people don't hire seventy year olds. They hire people from college because they.
Speaker 3: Have these these youthful themes in their head.
Speaker 2: I think that is a little bit more diabolical then a turkey leg, cause it takes a lot to be more diabolical than a turkey lead.
Speaker 1: Thanksgiving, Well, we don't need to react to the game. We want to throw that one out the window, burn the tape. But changes have been made as we Yeah, Jack del Rio is gone, Ron Rivera is going to call the place. So what sort of difference do you expect to see him play calling?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: It's gonna be very intriguing to see coach Rivera's hand on the pin.
Speaker 3: I want to.
Speaker 2: I'm eager to see what a Rivera defense looks like because it's been like a long time. He's been head coaching so long, I don't know what a Rivera defense look And I hope he's trying to set the house on fire. I hope he comes out and blitzes my amine from the time they get off the bus.
Speaker 3: But it's gonna be very intriguing.
Speaker 2: McDaniels, this mad wizard genius.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a hell of a coach.
Speaker 2: Rivera head to head and make this great to play call in head coaches. Oh yeah, So now it changes the whole landscape for everything to see the identity of the defense of a run. Rivera coach the defense. And I wonder, is he gonna shrink the playbook to play fast? Yep, And I think that's the smartest thing you could do. Go in there with five calls play fast. Don't have anybody thinking unleash the dogs. I want to see a good wheel tub By the touchdown with turkey legs. Listen, I'm not over that, Jameson, I won't ever be over that. I've never had that happen to me while play.
Speaker 1: You know, that's an interesting idea. You see that in college all the time too, when you see a team that is overmatched, right, and so what they do is they'll say, all right, well we're gonna learn these five or six calls on offense, for example. Yeah, but we will scheme them and know them over and over and so well that we will out execute you.
Speaker 3: Every time Seattle.
Speaker 2: Does it, we know they plan a vicious Cover three.
Speaker 3: Be care, don't change.
Speaker 2: So when you go play Seattle, they don't adapt to you.
Speaker 3: You adapt to them. That's what great defenses do.
Speaker 2: So if we can make if I'm trying to stop a big play offense in Miami, I need to literally keep the ball in front of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the key. How long can Tour be patient?
Speaker 2: Yep? I don't think they're patient as a team. I don't think they patient as an offense. Like Cover four, Cover two, I would do it to death. I would leave nobody alone with Tyreek Hill. Like when I say nobody, I'm talking about need not even fans. He'll burn me into like listen, nobody along with him. I pay a lot of two men man under, so we're doubling people. I'm gonna force two to run outside the pocket. So it's ways to get this done. It's ways to beat Miami. Nobody gonna give up a chance to beat Miami, right, but it's ways to beat Miami.
Speaker 1: So you've been in this situation before. We're talking about this before the pod. How do you stay You're gonna work, no question, but how do you stay mentally engaged when there's so many changes and you know that the goals that you had aren't there. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, Like we've been in these places. But the one thing I have to remind these players is we are a team. It's the ultimate team sport. We also independent contractors, all right, So you.
Speaker 3: Can't put bad tape out there jinks.
Speaker 2: You still got to perform and play to keep your job because the one thing you don't like when it comes to teams is changed. So what you do is you go out here and you play, You give it your best. I have to understand it. My job is now. And I've seen guys be a part of that all U Haul team min mentally already gone in the off season. I was never one of them guys, too afraid I had just some inside me, like nah, I don't think like that, don't do like that. And we're gonna see now who the real football players are because now you have to play for respect. You're not playing for all the other things. You're playing for respect and you're playing for the city. And it takes a lot to do that and take a lot to focus on that. So we're gonna see where everybody up mentally right now. This is a This is a test.
Speaker 1: I'm a person who loves the long game. When I think about a plan, I say, all right, this is good for now that you.
Speaker 2: Plan ahead, Like the same sweat I got on, we look good. Yeah, we're looking through my window and we're like smooth on wearing.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna wear much to search on im like he's going down today, sod. But I when you play the long game, it's hard to do because you know this season is not gonna be what you want it to be. But can you say, all right, let's watch the slate clean, Let's get a little bit something going here so that as we build an off season, as we build in the next year. Yeah, we need to start putting together good performances now.
Speaker 2: And that's the whole thing. You have to understand that the eye in the sky don't lie. That's how That's one of our old sayings. And so anytime you're being recorded practice a game, all thirtyeen thirty two teams watching you, so you got to understand what what am I plan for my job in my livelihood? Ain't that enough? Yeah, So at the end of the day, it's a total folk, it's by you to say, let's let's end what we started. I know they're gonna end the way we want to, but let's let's end what we started. And we got some guys just just having put some good seasons together.
Speaker 3: I think Jamie Davis has been playing very well this season.
Speaker 2: Uh, Logan Thomas has been playing very well this season. I mean, Curtis Samuels have been playing well so a b Rob. So it's some guys on this team that want to put the icing on the cake to the end of the year.
Speaker 3: And Sam, how come on? Sam been playing well?
Speaker 2: Now can we get can we stop the up and down and can we stay right there in the middle with Sam? So Sam wants to finish up. So it's a lot of questions still have to be answered on his team.
Speaker 1: Well, we were talking about turcul as we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Thankskevin too, Yeah, we was. Let's face the bills, play them bills.
Speaker 1: Jeez, let's start with Honda. Come on, guys, why not feel the power I feel it of the c RV Hybrid and Accord Hybrid, Honda's most electrifying vehicles yet. Find adventure in one of Honda's rugged SUVs and trucks like the Highlight Trail Sport Honda this most rugged suv ever. Or experience the thrilling performance of the funder Drive Hunter Civic with an available turbo charged engine. Get power, performance and ruggedness with Honda. Find the Honda that is perfect for you. See your local Honda dealers to sayem see them, see them, get that Honda.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Why not?
Speaker 1: Recycle Track Systems transforming the way commercial businesses and communities manage waste and recycling. They combine the power of AI with premium customer service to optimize waste to pick up schedules, ensuring ensuring timely and efficient collections, to keep our neighborhoods cleaner and greener.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Visit arts dot com to learn more about how they can help your business manage waste more responsible.
Speaker 2: Speaking of debt. I need to know how you feel about this. Okay, real Christmas tree, fake Christmas tree, we have it. It is the question we have a fake one? All right?
Speaker 3: You are on my level, okay.
Speaker 2: And this why I'm glad we need this right out to the recycling here because I hate people that get real Christmas trees. I think you abomination to earth. Right, all right, you're gonna cut this tree down for thirty days and then you're gonna throw it in the garbage.
Speaker 3: This used to be a house to a squirrel.
Speaker 2: This used to be house to insects. It actually recycles the carbon dioxide and turns it into oxygen. And you took it in your house for thirty days and threw it away. When I folded my fake tree up and putting it back in the garage, ye, and I'm gonna use it time after time after time again. I think real Christmas tree should be banned in the I just think it's the biggest waste of it.
Speaker 1: It is a waste. I will say that this tree.
Speaker 3: Been growing for ten fifteen years.
Speaker 2: You gonna cut the tree down for thirty days, for thirty days, and you don't know what insects you bringing in your house. You don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: All for thirty days.
Speaker 2: Hey, all I'm saying is if you feel different, leave some niches under into I mean, how you feel, And why am I wrong about real Christmas trees versus.
Speaker 3: Fake Christmas tree?
Speaker 1: I feel like of all the comments, this is gonna be the one to get the most run.
Speaker 3: Because I just and I've always felt like that before I even had them.
Speaker 2: I used to always ask my mom when were young. Yeah, I like, what's the thing that got a real tree? She was like, way, you don't want a real tree. She was like, no, we need that tree for oxygen.
Speaker 3: Not not oxygen in the house, right, oxygen out.
Speaker 1: On the earth.
Speaker 2: That's them. I always have a fake tree, and you gonna have one too, And I done had one ever.
Speaker 1: Since raised right before we get to Christmas, we got talk about Thanksgiving because I also know that you're great. I did, you're a great cook.
Speaker 2: I did? What do you do? I fried that turkey? Listen, I dropped that turkey in their grease. It started break dancing. I made that dressing, not stuffing. That's the difference. Corn bread and stuffing. Yep, all right, Uh, mac and cheese green yam, corn, gos beans, everything. Then I made my famous banana pudding. I made sweet potato pie.
Speaker 1: Now pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie.
Speaker 2: No pumpkins in the smooth ouse, all right, we don't do pumpkin nothing, not lattese, not nothing. So the spread was unbelievable. With my kids, we set around, we laugh we talked, trashed each other, we watched football.
Speaker 1: So you made your world famous. What what the dessert so you have? Is this a family recipe? Is this something you worked on your own?
Speaker 2: It's from the Book of smoot Oh Okay, that's when we passed down from like my great grandmama to my grandmama.
Speaker 3: I gave it to my mama.
Speaker 2: I stole it. I'm the first.
Speaker 3: I'm the first male to have the cookbook, the Book of smooth oh.
Speaker 2: A right, so yeah, so I make everything from scratch, all right, proving time proven. But what I do do a good job of is taking the basics of their recipe and bringing it to twenty twenty three. Okay, so I do some stuff a little bit different, but sooner or later I will reveal the secrets and let some of the cooking secrets out of the book.
Speaker 1: Of smooth Oh okay man, most definitely, how much time did you spend because cooking eight Thanksgiving getner all of those dishes that takes a long time.
Speaker 2: I do most of my prepping and do and I got certain dishes that I will cook the day. I try to get all my desserts out the wait the night. Then I have like whatever I feel like is gonna take the longest to cook. The next day, I start doing it late, late night, okay, so I can get it gone. So you gotta realize if I'm if I'm making like sem desserts that can be time consuming, then all of the main untrades and all the sides takes a while. So I spend ten hours just say, the day Thanksgiving Eve. Then I wake up at six in the morning on Thanksgiving and I'll be done by twelve.
Speaker 3: I forget.
Speaker 1: You're an early riser too, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm military. I just wake up. Don't matter if it was a long night or that. I just wake up. What happened? You know, I'm ready to go, So I like by noon, I try to be through with everything for my sanity, so I can watch football, so I can just chill, so I have nothing to do. But when I'm at home in Mississippi, it's pretty much easy because we as a family, we assign like three two dishes in a meat to everybody. So once everybody come, all the food is there. But here I had to talk load.
Speaker 1: How much does it hurt to watch talk fro We'll get back to the comanders in a second. But you're Alma mater. I mean you're a bulldog through and through it. I'm a diehard Texas fan, so I live and die by the Horns. It's tough and they lose. I'm enjoying a good season. But when when we take L's it hurts because I spent time my formative years there, I've been saying.
Speaker 3: And we like emotionally attached to the campus.
Speaker 2: We have memories. It's the ultimate representation. Like which college you go?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 2: Like this third question?
Speaker 3: People ask you what school with you in through?
Speaker 2: So I wonder now jinks with the transport portal, who are these kids going to have a legion to? Like if I went my freshman year to Oklahoma, transferred to UCLA, then spent my last year at August who am I?
Speaker 3: Seriously?
Speaker 2: Am I duck Baron? Sooner? Like what am I like, I'm wondering, like, where are they going to go back to?
Speaker 3: And how do you keep stats for this?
Speaker 2: I'm the all time leaning rush at Misie State, but I spent two years at Old Night.
Speaker 3: I can't be so. I think it's gonna dilute a lot of that process. But watching Old miss do what they did to us with sickening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it got you know, now we gotta do Coach Gary, congratulations, coach Uh.
Speaker 3: It hurt.
Speaker 2: It hurt because I remember one once upon a time in the day like where Mississippi State ran football, not just in Mississippi, but in the SEC. That's when your boy was playing. We was headed to We was going to the SEC championships.
Speaker 3: We was doing the thing.
Speaker 2: I remember times when Bama came to miss State and they knew they was gonna get whooped. I remember times when coach o'ball, coach Coach Berry, who became my head coaching league, came to me and see what state we ran him out of that by forty I remember LSU coming up there and getting beat to death. First of all, ain't no Bingals in Louisiana, Ain't no tigers in Louisiana.
Speaker 3: Loose.
Speaker 2: So at the end of the day, I remember the time in the daylight. Can we get back to that time? That's the question with this coach, and it's recruiting. Every college is about one thing, and that's why I brought deun up to you. It's no living room in America. Dean Sanders cannot walk in, and the mama and the daddy don't already know who he is.
Speaker 3: The son knows who is he's leaving.
Speaker 2: With your child like there's certain coaches that had that ability, and now everybody wants to annoy it. Coach Sabing the best coach all time. Know I say he's the best recruiter of all time. So now since the nil came out and everything and got uh even still he ain't the dominant coaching, you know, cause it's all about recruiting. If my five stars are better than your three stars, you don't got a change. I don't care what you draw on a piece of paper. Now we're starting to see everything come back down, and that's why I'm scared of your Texas guys. Do y'all renew once y'all enter the SEC next year, y'all renew the Texas Texas A and.
Speaker 1: Them, Yes, starts next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's back. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Y'all just won't let them. Y'all just will not let them one up. Y'all got the.
Speaker 1: Gotta be pushed right back down, like no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm kind of key into college station because I'm a big Jackie sheerl guy, Jackie Cheryl.
Speaker 3: That's my dude. You know that.
Speaker 2: That was my coach. That's when we ranc you know.
Speaker 3: What I was talking.
Speaker 1: After Thanksgiving dinner, we went to see some friends of ours and a couple of friends are huge Gators. Another couple of friends huge seminals. We were all say in college football. At the end of the night, have you ever ever done this? Everybody's drinking, have a good time. I come out of the bathroomright here, Jakes, it's your turn. I'm like, what for what? Everybody is chugging the beer after we crack an egg and drop the egg inside. I'm like, what what is that?
Speaker 2: Is that a Texas thing?
Speaker 1: I think it's a Midwestern thing.
Speaker 3: First of all, egg inside of beer? It was gross?
Speaker 2: What? What? What's the purpose?
Speaker 1: I was sitting I walk out someone's on FaceTime. I guess family members from the mid This had to be in Midwestern.
Speaker 2: It gotta be because I never heard of it in the South.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of this.
Speaker 3: We don't play with our alcohol like that.
Speaker 2: You know. No, I don't eat pumpkin. We don't draw faces in prompting. It's like we we don't drink that be No, Like we got a thing. And where I'm from, Mississippi, if you drop a beer like drop it by mistake, yep, you gotta go buy a twelve peck Like, oh really you don't. You do not miss with the alcohol. Well, I'm from So if I can just imagine me being with my family and friends and we just chilling in front of yourd I'd be like, hey, y'all want to pull an egg in this beer? Like nineteen times it was terrible.
Speaker 1: They had a beer waiting on me famious game.
Speaker 2: Hey Jakes, Hey, you good to see it? Man, you're gonna do this.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm the worst to beer pressure do anything. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you're like yeah, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my money cracks and egg drops it in.
Speaker 2: I chucked it and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, uh, was it a can beer?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: They already poured the glass cracked, the egg dropped, the egg and raw, and some guy is in the back going protein. I was like, I guess it was gross stuff.
Speaker 2: Did it? Did it have any chemical reaction or anything?
Speaker 3: Nozzle, No, it was fine.
Speaker 1: But I just remember glancing in the cup and seeing this thing coming.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh no, yeah, well I did it. But quivering Ludacris album Chicken and Beer. Like, listen, I have never heard of that. I've asked people.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I've I've never heard of this before. It wasn't great. It wasn't great.
Speaker 2: Now we've bombed. We dropped these little liquor bombs inside.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, this liquor on liquor. You know what I'm saying. But never have I First of all, I love eggs too much to waste them. You love it.
Speaker 1: I love eggs.
Speaker 2: Listen. I'm a breakfast person, like I could eat it all day long. Uh.
Speaker 3: I'm a grit person to you, like an oatmeal person.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you oap me up.
Speaker 3: It's like both.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying I'm a stone grit. I like real grit, real grit. So I'm a breakfast guy. You can catch me at cracker barrel and see him at night.
Speaker 3: I'm that dude.
Speaker 2: Waffle House is the.
Speaker 3: Greatest French restaurant. I call it the waff ale House. Listen, one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm not a big eye hop guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I hop stinks.
Speaker 2: It's too generic.
Speaker 1: It's too holished in corporate. When you when you want a good greasy breakfast, like I don't want the I don't.
Speaker 3: Want the stove top too d fresh and fruit whatever it is.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get a meal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I want it there. I wanted to look like breakfast, all right.
Speaker 1: I want to look like someone was in the back make it.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't want to. I don't want the stovetop to be clean for five years, you know. And and and you look at and you can see the cook. He got to see her under in his ear with a hand in it, little ash for like, oh we can eat, we are about this is about to be paradise. Like I wanted to look a certain way, like I love diners like the guy.
Speaker 3: So I love big men us.
Speaker 2: We lived. So I'm one of those people. I just enjoyed the small things, like that's my things.
Speaker 1: There used to be this place in my neighborhood in DC. It's called the First Cup Cafe. It was this Ethiopian couple who ran it right their breakfast burrito right, it was so good. Now they ended up closing and I was so bummed. But after they closed, I had the last breakfast ever there. You know how I know because they had closed it. And one day I called and I guess they lived above the cafe. And I called the guys like, naw, we're closed. We're not We're not open anymore. And I was like, okay, I just wanted one of your breakfast brito. He goes, I'll go down and make it for you. He was just but come around to the side. So it's closed. I go to this restaurant. I come around to the side, I knock on a door. The door opens up. This guy's like, hey, I give him some cash. He hands me the burrita. I was like, thanks, man, just a random burrito from.
Speaker 2: A side door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a restaurant that's already closed.
Speaker 2: You felt like a village.
Speaker 1: Oh. I just allside James bother and they opened up again.
Speaker 2: It was the best place ever. Oh. When ILL got those places, I had one of those places in Mississippi. You're like, you cause you know down south. I guessed up north. It's picking up on it now that we have the raw farms and the wild wires and the sheets of the world. You know, gas station food down south is the best. Yes, So I had this gas station I used to like get breakfast from all the time. I'm literally smelling like gas while I'm onre thing a saucy n egg biscuit.
Speaker 3: I love them to death and it's still there.
Speaker 2: Every time I go home, I go to this gas station get my breakfast from it. It never fails. And it's real bacon. One thing I don't play with is fake bacon. Oh yeah, you know how to give you the thin one and that ain't bacon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I need real bacon right here. I'm from Mississippi.
Speaker 2: That the hogs we eat was alive twenty four hours. When we go get breadth, we go get breakfast.
Speaker 1: Jecks, Mayson Bells, my friends.
Speaker 2: Why not Hey? Get Loud? Podcast is brought to you by BET three sixty five, the official sport and bet partner of the Washington Commanders. Bet on a range of NFL markets with Bet three six five apps. Craft your own personalized bet slip with Parlai's excess thousands of games with live screaming.
Speaker 3: Place your bet before the match or doing the game. It's up to you.
Speaker 2: Download the bet three sixty five app today. Join eighty million members worldwide, age twenty one plus only. Must be physically located in Virginia. Gambling problem caller takes one eight hundred gambler way to get it done. You congratulated yourself. You have to do this.
Speaker 1: I know you're like, I did a great job. There's another one.
Speaker 2: Mwaa. We don't travel to escape life. We travel so life don't escape us. We dream of places anywhere in the world, and in the blink of eye we're there. That's the one that flight. All you had to do decide is where where to Dullis International Airport. Let your imagination sore book you adventure today at fly Dullis dot com. Slash non stop niled it as you always so you know what. The Mississippi State is a higher learning institute. You know with me being an Ivy League guy from Missisippi State, it works beautiful. Okay.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you about this quote from Tom Brady. Yes, he was talking on the Steven A. Smith Show about mediocrity. He says, quote, I think there's a lot of mediocrity in today's NFL. I don't see the excellence that I saw in the past. I agree with We're going debate about this. I agree with him. But what he also said that I disagree with as he was talking about because I agree, I don't like how guys aren't allowed to hit. It's not as physical as he used to be.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: But he was saying, you know, offensive players need to learn how to protect themselves more due. Yes, but also at the same time, no player in his day was more protected than Tom.
Speaker 3: It's not his fault.
Speaker 2: But he still took blows and got back up. He still got his toys acl standing in the pocket. He still got slammed on his neck by James Harrison. Now he still went through sheer beating and got back up. I'm sorry, Thomas is right, your right goat and goats they usually just say man. He says everything he wants to say. I'm dead series. I think, especially coming in in two thousand and one, we arrived in the golden era of football. I got to play against the great EMITTT. Smith.
Speaker 3: I got to play with the great Darril Green.
Speaker 2: I got to be on the team with Dean Sanders, the greatest cornerback they ever played the game. I got to play against the greatest quarterback in Tom Brady to ever play the game, Jerry Rice. I played against the greatest wide receiver to ever play the game. Then I also played against t O, Randy Moss, all the rest of them. Marvin Harris like, if you look at that generation of footballs, just be on the greats. It's so many football players, and we were still playing that physical brand of football that our forefathers played. Now what they're playing now, it's Gallagher like, you can watch football now and guys get ejected for tackling.
Speaker 1: True, you can what for not falling the right way on the.
Speaker 2: Quarter When when Terrell Lewrens went across the middle, Ray Lewis was waiting, yep, now you go across the middle, you're they ain't second guessing it. Nobody can touch them. kJ Henry think about this rookie gets his first sack and force fumble and get it taken away.
Speaker 3: From what.
Speaker 1: He dropped down. I mean, how.
Speaker 2: Can I sack somebody going for speed, and I supposed to spend off of him. What their accent can't be done?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I can't hit people, make my money and protect them. My job ain't to protect the quarterback. My job is to hurt him. Like That's why I always got mad when people was talking about the targeting thing with Greg Williams. First of all, let me tell you something. They're like, yeah, y'all trading money in there. Yeah, we get a pool of money, and say, whoever make the biggest players in the game, you get it? Well, guess what. My owner was already paying me to go hurt people, right, that was that was my job? Like, so what do you mean? Like, it's the NFL sometimes is such a walking contradiction they want us. We're quickly turning into you remember Jinks when you first find out wrestling was fake? I remember too, What did it do to your soul?
Speaker 3: It crushed me.
Speaker 1: I was convinced. I used to argue with my parents about it. They be like, you know that's fake. I was like, no, it's not. You can't tell me as you said, then, how come how come Dusty Roads bleeding?
Speaker 2: First of all, I was like, it's gotta be real. Because Jake the snake keep bringing this snake out here and they keep biting people.
Speaker 3: Snake like I was convinced, but then it it was like it's faith. We're headed that way. Yeah, we're headed.
Speaker 2: And that's why people are like, all right, scripted. They probably want to believe that, because when you get calls like you've been seeing, it makes people doubt the product. It makes people doubt is it football? And I'm glad Tom because if James Harrison say that, nobody pays the intention right, Tom Brady says, it's not football anymore. And Tom Brady is right. They are the right of patches they don't have. And then that's why I see, I'm wandering to myself, how's these.
Speaker 3: Guys even getting hurt?
Speaker 2: Y'all? Y'all out here playing y'all pillow fighting?
Speaker 3: Right now? You get hurt, y'all not allowed to hit each other.
Speaker 1: And the thing is too in addition to the rules, back then, they were playing on I know, ask carpet, carpet and cong carga was carpet, carpet and concrete, that's it, yes.
Speaker 2: So that what we was landing on was killing us. That's what I mean, what we was doing like we were we was. You had to have a level. And then I always tell people, I respect the fifty seventh person on the roster. To play this game, you gotta be a grown man. You gotta be a grown man willing to put your body and sacrifice your body for people's entertainment, like no logics. I remember being out there one time. I think I was in Minnesota at the time. We was playing Green Bay in December. Had to be every bit of minus a thousand degrees I'm talking about. It was cold, was crucial, and I'm standing at like the thirty yard line after a play and I'm like, what the hell are you doing? Why were you a lawyer?
Speaker 3: Why am I out here? You have to start the game.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it's doing the game. And I'm like, why am I out here minus ten degrees in tights chasing people.
Speaker 3: I could have chosen a better career than this.
Speaker 2: I rather chase Bigfoot because it's nothing like being out there in the cold is different, man, Yeah, Like simple thing gets in your bones. So simple things like somebody stepping on your shoe. You can hear your toe bus you just hear it. You'd be like, but it's so cold you can't feel it until you shall, all right. It's just so many things about it. It's Neanderthal's barbaric, but it's organized chaos. Sat it's finest, and I think they're taking the chaos out of it. And I think that's what Tom's talking about.
Speaker 1: I don't know who it was, Maybe it was Nick Sunberg, and I remember this quote, and I think it's such an interesting thing is that there was a few years after his playing career, long Snapp and I'm not sure if it was him. It's definitely a former redskin back in the day, and they asked him what he missed the most, and he said, to be honest, I missed the violence.
Speaker 3: The violence.
Speaker 2: It's organized by the hell of a quote, it's organized violence. Think about it. The ability to let out, yeah, whatever you feel, very violently, all right, that's what it used to be.
Speaker 3: Now you hit a person, you kicked.
Speaker 2: Out, Yeah, it's just that simple targeting.
Speaker 3: I gotta targeting him.
Speaker 2: He got the ball in his hand, Like I was taught to go get the man with.
Speaker 3: The ball in his hand.
Speaker 2: So I think those things, Yeah, I think that's what's bringing in all the worst name and every sporty balls. I'm not a fool. Yeah, protection is everything. I want everybody to be safe. But it's still what we signed up for. We signed up, yeah, to be Neanderthal.
Speaker 1: I remember during the same interview, Tom Brady was talking about some of the hardest hitters, best players. He mentioned ray Lewis, he mentioned Rodney Harrison, and he mentioned Ronnie Lott And I always think of Ronnie lot the story that first really hit me as far as how tough football players are. And Ronnie I played. He hurt his finger and he had a choice to make mid season. They said, Ronnie, either we can we can amputate your finger and you can keep playing, or your season's over. And he said, cut it off.
Speaker 2: Cut it off.
Speaker 1: So they cut off tip of his finger. To this day he doesn't have it.
Speaker 2: This was mid game. Yes, this is what people need to understand.
Speaker 3: They would do that.
Speaker 2: Now they are censorship off.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, that's.
Speaker 2: Part of the game. But you ain't gonna see that no more. What player right now do you think would do that? If you had to pick an insane story, maybe Miles Garrett.
Speaker 1: He looks like he looks like a guy that might do it.
Speaker 2: Pinky bro I can't use no more cut it on off.
Speaker 1: Michael Parsons might do it, He's no Michael Parsons.
Speaker 2: Too pretty. Yeah, he ain't gonna do that. He ain't gonna do that, because when you think about a guy that's gonna do that, he got to be the grittiest.
Speaker 1: One of the WAP brothers might though I don't think so too pretty, too pretty. I'm trying to think someone ugly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ain't gotta be an ugly person totally has to be a unattractive guy that says, you know what, don't need that pinky finger.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, when was the toughest I know you played with some tough guys, but who was the toughest player or one of the toughest players you played with where you were like, listen, we all play hurt, but man, this is something Wow.
Speaker 3: Toughest player. I have to say, funny.
Speaker 2: This is the anniversary to sew Sean Taylor, Sean just I was shocked when he got hurt.
Speaker 1: Like when he got hurt because he seemed bigger than all that.
Speaker 2: He just never would get hurt like and if he was hurt, he would never get treatment.
Speaker 3: He was just he just keep on going.
Speaker 2: So it's he was just a beast and an animal in a different way. Like some people just born to play football. And you're speaking to somebody that would have said, cut my pinky finger off, it would have been Sean Taylor, and he would have put his pinky figure in his pocket and keep it like, yeah, what's that smell? Shanah, I put my pinker finger in my pocket. That's what type Dudy would have been like. So Sean Taylor most definitely was in that mold or running lot, and he was one of the toughest players I have ever been around. And that's why I think I was so shocked when he got hurt Green Bay, which it was his last game playing. I was shocked that he hurt his knee and he still tried to crawl out there and played. Then. That was the type of guy he was. London Fletcher also listen, I had watched London throw up in his own mouth while calling the play. I'm like, dude, what's wrong with you? Don't worry, We're gonna be all right. I was like, this dude just won't stop fight. So London is in that mold too. That's why I think London went like thirteen years and then miss a game. Yeah, so London Fletcher most deffinitently and we got fan base.
Speaker 3: I'm just serious with you.
Speaker 2: Other fan bases vote their people in the Hall of Fame. We got three people, legitly that should be in the Hall of Fame. You put London Fletcher numbers up to Ray Lewis's. Yeah, he's inswing him in some of those numbers. Hall of Fame. Vote him in.
Speaker 3: Joja Kobe, no doubt.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting on? I spost have been in the Hall of Fame. Brian Mitchell.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So if we don't do nothing right this year, fan base, let's get these guys in the Hall of Fame. Let's do our part, all right, Let's.
Speaker 1: Do our port whatever lobby needs to be done, it needs to be done for these guys.
Speaker 2: It's long over man, it's long overdue man. So we gotta do our part. I'm gonna try to do some stuff on some other shows too to try to get this thing going on. But we gotta get these guys in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you one thing about Sean because it is the anniversar for his passing, and I know how much he meant to you. Yeah, for those of us who did not know him and to only know him for how he played as a person. What makes him so special?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Genuine, yes, genuine everything.
Speaker 2: I don't think the boy ever told her lie. No, No, it ain't any like incompetitive man. Man, this dude we had this motorcycle game video game. We used to play for hours every night, and I got to run him away from my house because I would just to him in this game, just just dot, let him have a chance, and it'll be three in the morning. I'm like, Sean, dude, we gotta work tomorrow. No, man, you ain't gonna keep beating me. I was like, well, how about I just let you in an do all that. It just was the person man, most genuine guy met great father. You know, everybody like to talk about some of the trouble he got into. I tell people all the time, it's easy for you to sit there and say that on your couch at forty years old. What you'll do until you in these situations? Great father. I love his father, Pedro. I love Patro to death, and I seen where he got it from. But he was a very straight line dude. What you see is what you get. And if he don't mess with you, he ain't one of these people that can fake the funk, right. He gonna literally be.
Speaker 3: Like, nah, dog, I don't mess with you, right. That's the nicest way I can say that. Not my type of guy.
Speaker 2: And that's what you gotta love about a guy like him, just genuine man. And I loved it. He loved heart like whatever he does, he does it one hundred.
Speaker 3: He loved hard and I love him for that.
Speaker 2: Always love that.
Speaker 1: And we missed it to this dad, no question now.
Speaker 2: Most always gonna be missed. And I love what I saw with the the U Cowboys Commander's game, Baby Jackie. They had that. I don't know if you saw it. It was terrific. She is a volleyball player All State in Florida, picking up right where the good Man.
Speaker 1: Left off, doing her dad proud. Question about it, guys, you gotta feel the power of the CRV Hybrid and Accord Hybrid. We're talking about Honda and their most electrifying vehicles yet. Find adventure in one of Honda's rugged SUVs and trucks like the Pilot Trail Sport Honda's most rugged suv ever, or experienced the thrilling performance of the funder drive Honda Civic with an available turbo charged engine. Get power, performance and ruggedness with Honda. Find the Honda perfect for you. See your local Honda dealer today and breaking news. Oh see Geek is the official a fardner of the Washing Commanders and sponsor of this odd deal's finalized of the newest Commandery member of the family. If you haven't heard the name yet, get used to it. Whether you're buying or selling tickets to Commanders games in the DMV or any other live event in the area, Seat Geek is the place to do it. Seet Geek the new official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 3: I love seek.
Speaker 2: It makes it easy, It makes it It makes it easy to like send tickets like I loved that part of it.
Speaker 3: Yes, like send tickets, except tickets.
Speaker 2: Parking passes out a big thing these days. Oh yeah, parking pass is out a big thing these days. Every time i'd you.
Speaker 3: Ain't friend, can I get a ticket?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll get your ticket? Can I get That's always question number two?
Speaker 3: And then let me tell y'all, let me tell fans something.
Speaker 2: Football players are not walking ticket stubs because people see us like in the city and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, first thing that see be like, what a friend's move, Give me some tickets.
Speaker 2: We don't really get tickets, Like right, we gotta paint it for these tickets too. I hope the fans know this. So anytime you see a sports guy, we ain't walking with like a book of tickets.
Speaker 1: I used to be friends with a guy who ran the AMC theater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I worked. I worked at the movie That Did You?
Speaker 3: That was my high school job.
Speaker 2: I loved it. Listen.
Speaker 3: I worked at the movie theater at the mall. Okay, so it's hooked to the mall.
Speaker 1: That's where this guy was a manager.
Speaker 3: Yea, and it was a a MC.
Speaker 2: So I am the ticket stug guy who tears the ticket, but also was an usher that had to.
Speaker 1: Clean the movie yeah after they leave.
Speaker 2: So I also use these tickets. It's bothering in the mall. So I would give them. The dude that footlock of so many tickets he would get me exactly.
Speaker 1: Mostly he carried around a buck of passes.
Speaker 2: With that.
Speaker 1: We go to dinner and be like, hey, yeah, you got a family next thing, you know, you're getting a desk.
Speaker 2: Listen. Also, I'm glad that that the legal statutation is over here. I used to be on the outside, on the side selling tickets. He was the best job. And they used to like work around my football schedule, so they'd be like, come in anytime you want to. So after I practice, I just go right to the great Oh they listen for the longest to the point like once I've really got the college and stuff. I used to like do charities for like kids, not just take like fifty kids to that movie theater all the time. And I felt like it was my way of paying them back for all the.
Speaker 3: Tickets I stole.
Speaker 2: It's solong side of the greatest job all time.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome. Yeah, all right, Well you can still get some tickets too Commander's Dolphins this weekend, Yes you can. So when it comes to this Dolphins team, scary, they are scary. We were discussing this a little bit. Tyreek kN we know how good he is, but I don't know if I've ever seen a faster player. If he's not the fastest football player I've ever seen, He's right up there in the shop.
Speaker 3: He's so scary because it's a combination of the elite elite speed with the elite ability to stop.
Speaker 2: And he has kit like reflexes.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen them?
Speaker 1: Ball?
Speaker 2: No, No, he is I'm not even playing Sunday if I'm having nightmares. Listen, this dude is so scary. I tried to think of some players I could compare him to, and it's only one Cheetah, but he has the leap speed that Santana had and the ability to stop and start.
Speaker 3: But the moves of a Dante Hall Oh, that's a good reference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so uh was Dante was stupid when he was in.
Speaker 2: The running style of Eric metcalf junior. Okay, Eric mckalf the prettiest running man I ever seen to Texas, very meckaf. So this how scary this dude is. And then you put him with the mad genius McDaniels and they motion and the reason they motioned him so much is so he can have a running start yep on the defensive back and.
Speaker 1: It takes a step or two for a guy like that.
Speaker 2: Unless all I'm gonna do is pray for Saint Juice, the Pope, I'm gonna pray for my dudes and manu with full that they just don't have to check these dude one on one. You have to play top down with these dudes, keep everything in front of you, make them be patience. And not only do they got a cheetah, they got Raheen Moster too, one of the fastest running backs in the league. They got water.
Speaker 3: If he wadles like a duck in here, I'm gonna throw up.
Speaker 2: There'll be two back to back weeks that I had to take on turkey legs and duck.
Speaker 1: Me.
Speaker 2: Listen. Their team that you gotta stop is a group. And the way we can stop them run pain John.
Speaker 1: Allen as a corner when you're trying to check someone with that much speed. Now, now there is a difference straight line speed. But did you'll see this right? This guy ran in the Olympics. Okay, great, but that doesn't mean he can run around. It doesn't mean to stop right here, start right. But when you have a guy who has elite speed who also is that shift, you can stop it. Start on a dime? How I mean? What is that? Challenges? Something I can't fathom.
Speaker 3: I think you gotta always double team him.
Speaker 2: I think you gotta gotta make it hard for him to get off the line, which is easier to say harder than saying I think you gotta press him, but you gotta press him with somebody over the top. Ye.
Speaker 3: I just think you gotta respect him. You gotta respect him.
Speaker 2: You gotta get him the random Moss Calvin Johnson Megatron treatment. You remember when they used to line two corners out there on Mega trun like like he was a gunner. You remember that they did?
Speaker 1: Yes, so he was unreal.
Speaker 3: I think with Tyreek, if you're not plays on coverat you have to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So did you see? I just wanted your thoughts on this because we're talking about the Dolphins. They're coming off that gaming into jets where I have never seen an intercepted Hail Mary.
Speaker 2: I've intercepted the hair Marry. We call him cheap ones. I've never seen one intercepted and ran back. Yes, because usually we just hit the ground game over with right way to row it in, Like, listen anytime I see DB's because man, DB's, I'm telling y'all, hardest job in sports quarterback. I know it's hard, but dB is so hard of a job and you have to be a maniac. To do it, you have to you have to be crazy in the sense that you can get burnt for ninety yards and you still gotta jump up and say I'm the best thing since sliced bread. You have to play these mental games with yourself and to see that player, I just I just laugh, laugh, laugh, because it's one of those things where I know the coaches on the sideline say get down, because that's what they do when we get about get down, and he's just like, no, I'm not gonna get down. I'm gonna keep running. The only thing he could have did the one up it would just keep running to the locker room. Keep running to the locker room, because I did that with the Seattle. I had a game winning inter self. To see the game, I got up.
Speaker 3: And just rain to the locker room. It was over.
Speaker 2: I ain't got nothing necess say to you. I don't need to do no interviews. Great day for me. Can't wait to hit the club, play on celebration.
Speaker 3: Look on me.
Speaker 1: This is a team that tends to play up or down to the love of osponent. We've seen that before and it's also the NFL. So when they think can happen So how do what is the game plan with the commanders to win this game?
Speaker 3: I am eager to.
Speaker 2: See what a rivera defense looks like. Coach is called in the plays. So we're seeing two head coaches, one our offensive geniors, one a defensive minded coach go ahead to head, both of them calling plays.
Speaker 3: That's the first matchup I want to see. On defense. You either got to light them.
Speaker 1: Up, blitz in them.
Speaker 2: Oh, you gotta play coverage and make them be patient. I'm eager to see which one he chooses.
Speaker 3: Neither is wrong.
Speaker 2: So what I'm saying is it's x's and o's over to Jimmy and the Joe's in this game. I want to see the brain trust actually go out there and beat them on paper first. Yeah, and let the players be the sickond everything. In this situation, I think you have to weaponize Sam, meaning make the offense play defensively. Meaning the best way to stop tool is to make him watch the football game from the sideline.
Speaker 1: Keep them off the field, them off the field.
Speaker 2: That means we have to go seventy to seventy five plays on the offense while the Dolphins have around fifty.
Speaker 3: We win the game right there.
Speaker 1: So I like to. It's a new start on defense for this team. Hopefully it adds up to a strong performance this weekend. Yep, that's been guy Fred Smooth. I'm Jenks and we got loud. The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.