Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jets Podcast.
Speaker 2: I Eat, Breathe, and sleep The New York Jets.
Speaker 3: My team that is a tightrope walk across Niagara Fall.
Speaker 2: That's hard to do.
Speaker 4: It's a name of inches, so finding that one little inch to be successful, it all matters.
Speaker 5: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good. Shop Game Day Ready, Jewelry Styles and so much more at kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 3: Okay, gentlemen, NFL draft has come and gone. Baldy's joining us from Los Angeles, and I think doos You're in Florida, right.
Speaker 2: I am in the great sunny state of Florida.
Speaker 1: How you guys feeling this morning?
Speaker 6: I'm good man, But you know, this this draft, I mean, you know, fans could talk about it twenty four to seven, but eventually, like you gotta like do it and then just let it go because honestly, like none of these guys, you know, everybody wants to have them in the Pro Bowl. You know, these guys gotta just they're just getting started. They're just all getting started.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, let's put a ball on the Jets twenty twenty five drafts.
Speaker 1: Shall we Baldy, what were your.
Speaker 3: Thoughts on the way GM, Darren Mougie head coach Aaron Glenn navigated their first draft.
Speaker 7: I thought it was excellent.
Speaker 6: I mean, they had real needs and they found real value in those needs, starting with armand Member, who was an elite prospect all right, from his size, his movement, his production, what he did at Missouri. And then to get Mason Taylor, a position of real need that many thought maybe they would spend their seventh pick on a tight end and they elected to go the other way. But they got the two big positions of need for the offense to really help out justin fields to give him the best opportunity. I thought the Jets have been struggling for years to really build a really talented offensive line. They were never able to quite get there, and I feel like they've got the pieces in place to be a real right now.
Speaker 3: Duds, did it feel vindigated you've been picking Mambo for months to the Jets?
Speaker 4: Yeah, me and Baldy were kind of kidding. We kind of always knew that was gonna be the pig. Just you got to think you just read in between the lines. Aaron Glenn coming over from Detroit. How did they build it throughout the trenches? They have one of the best offensive lines in football, and there was one void on that offensive line, and you had a player that could easily fill that void in mar Membo. It wasn't a guy that you had to take and then cross train him to the other side because he hadn't done it.
Speaker 2: He's played right tackle his whole career.
Speaker 4: So like, it just made too much sense when you talk about him being young, the upside, the athletic ability, and then just the dog mentality he has fits what Aaron Glynn wants to do. And then to echo what Baldy was saying, like, when you look at this offensive line, the last time the Jets were true contenders, you're talking about twenty eleven, it was built through that offensive line. So Aaron Glynn again, Tenner Ainstrang coming from Detroit was built through the offensive line. And then the Jets have one of the youngest offensive lines, so now this group can grow together. Literally, the oldest player or starter or projected started on the offensive line for the Jets, it's twenty seven years old. I don't know many other teams can say that right now about their offensive.
Speaker 3: Line, Baldy, what do you'll like most about Memo's game and is he makes this transition, what is he going to have to work on?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean it the NFL level. I mean, you're just gonna see great players every single week. It's you know, you don't get that in college. And so it's about being consistent, consistent with your technique. I think all these young guys, you know they're gonna get stronger. I think he can get stronger in the upper body where he just locks guys out and then he just ends the pass rush like he's got you can see it in flashes where he can do that and he has done that. But you know, you just love his movement. Like there's so many things you can do with an athletic tackle. I mean the perimeter game, the quick game, getting to the second level, cutting off on the backs, like all those things he will be able to do just naturally. Then's the question of all the you know he's got to work with Alivia Tucker. You want to become the right side, like the communication that you need to handle stunts, to handle you know, any kind of movement up front. So to take the thinking out of it where you could just react. I mean, he's got to get to that stage and that will come, but that will come with reps. And then it's a question of how quickly does it come. How quickly do they they build this bond, this bond that great offensive lines have where it's literally five guys with one mind, and you know, the communication normally starts from the center tipman, and it goes left, it goes right. That's what's got to come right now with armand but the actual ability is there, and that's where you got it's got to start because he's going to see some of the best pass rushers in the league right now are coming over the right tackle. And so you know, you go up to Buffalo and you see what what they put over that right tackle.
Speaker 7: That's a good football player right there. So that's what he's got to get ready for.
Speaker 3: Dudes, I like it that there's no projection that he's moving positions that I'll have an opportunity to win that right tackle spot. And that's where he was entrenched in at Missouri. I just wanted to move the conversation forward here, du Is. I think for a long time it's debating whether it was going to be tackle or perhaps tight end, and most people were looking at Tyler Warren there. Ironically, the Bears take Colston Lovelin off the board and number ten overall Warren slips or I don't even want to say slips when he goes to fourteen to Indianapolis. How much do you think it went into the thinking for the Jets that if we're going to get our tackle, we better get one now because we have an opportunity to actually come back in the second round and get a tight end. And how about the way that worked out for them getting Taylor at number forty two overall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, without a doubt.
Speaker 4: You build it in the trenches, and those guys tend to go faster, I believe, you know, the top tackles went really early in this draft. We talk about Will Campbell going four overall and Arma Membu going seven, Calvin Banks going nine, So there was a run on, you know, the top three tackles, and the just didn't want to take a chance to potentially, you know, go tight end and then miss out in a Day one starter at tackle in the second round, because again, those tackles went fast. Even Josh Simmons went at the end of the first round, so like you would have missed out on him, Josh Cornerly Connorley, you would have missed out on him because he would at the end of the first round. So I thought it was strategic by Darren Mujie and also Aaron Glenn to realize, like we talk about positional value, the offensive tackle is higher than the tight end position, and we can get a really good tight end in the second round. As matter of fact, they got everybody or mostly everybody's tight end three in the second round, So I thought they played it the right way.
Speaker 3: Baldy, I love those draft calls that we see on draft weekend, specifically Mason Taylor's draft call. Offensive coordinator Tanner Engstrand got on there and he was pumped. He said, listen, we got a plan for you. Angstrand comes from the lines. Of course, how do you envision Taylor working in this offense?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, anybody that's watched Detroit the number one offensive football You watch Sam Laporta the day he came out of Iowa and what he has been able to do in that offense. All the crossing routes, you know, all the movement and things that they do, the two tight end sets that you'll get with Ruckert right now. Mason Taylor, they were a big two tight end set that helped him in the run game. You know, the motions, the pre snap motions that they would do with Laporter. You're gonna see the same thing with Mason Taylor. That's what you saw at LSU. He was He probably was in motion every single play, you know, changing the strength, looking for matchups. So he's been doing a lot of these things. But I can just take a you know, just a snapshot of Detroit's offense from the offensive line to the tight ends, to how they worked the tight ends. Like I can see a lot of that playbook coming to the New York Jets right now.
Speaker 3: Interesting tight end room now, dude, because you're adding him to a guy that you like in Stone Smart and Jeremy Rutgers is going to have an opportunity to play some more now that Tyler Conklin departed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm so glad Brady brought that up as far as Detroit living in twelve personnel, which is one back, two tight end, because I look at it like this, Jeremy Rutger is probably going to be their Brock right right, and Mason Taylor is going to be the Sam l porter that you know Tanner Ainstring had in Detroit. So I could definitely see them coming out in two tight ends SATs. And then even they liked some thirteen personnel near the red zone and in the goal line as well, So Stone Smart will be the third guy that they use to not only run the ball, but also heavy plays and pass. Stone Smart's a big, tall receiver. He can go up and get the football. So it'll be interesting to see how inventive Tanner Ainstream can be with this tight end group of Stone Smart or Mason Taylor and also Jeremy Rucker.
Speaker 3: Not really a surprise there with the first two picks, especially the positions when you're speaking tackle tight end. But I think the Jets surprise some folks in the third round there, Baldy getting Florida State cornerback Zarier Thomas out of Florida State. Aaron Glenn likes his corners big, and this guy is big and he's physical.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean they just I mean, just you just keep turn the page back to Detroit.
Speaker 7: You know, they signed Carlton Davis, who is a big long corner. Last year they drafted Terry on Arnold in the first round. Like you know, sometimes you got to match up with these receivers. And one thing about Zarah was, you know when you're watching Florida State, he's a big six to one and a half corner, two hundred pounds and he's not afraid to get his hands on guys. And you don't see a lot of press corners at college. You just don't. And so the way that they.
Speaker 6: Play zwnes and you know these h the defenses, you don't see that, but you see a lot of that at Florida State. So to me, I thought, Darren, it was clearly a this is the best player on our board, like because you know me and dudes are like man defensive tackle.
Speaker 7: There was a rich class of defensive tackles.
Speaker 6: You could have said that, but maybe the way that they stacked their board, Thomas was their next best player at number seventy three, and so they took the best player available and looked, honestly, everybody needs.
Speaker 7: Four corners in any game. You need four corners that could play.
Speaker 6: And so we know they've got three starters out there, especially with getting Brandon Stevens a free agency.
Speaker 7: And so I think that's that's what you got.
Speaker 6: You got yourself a press corner that you know, whether it's you're going up against a team that's playing ten personnel in Buffalo, whatever it is, you might need that fourth corner on the field, but in the rotation, you'd love to have a guy that has that ability and that length at that position.
Speaker 3: To as you guys both were there in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, how much do you think he specifically Thomas elevated his stock what he did there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he showed what he did all year long at Florida State.
Speaker 4: Now, there wasn't a lot to like about what you saw on film from Florida State this past year, but him and Josh Farmer were two of the brighter spots, right, and he showed versus Kyle Williams, who was to me the best separator in this class when it comes to the receiver position. They had some really classic battles out there in Mobile, and that's the thing that he does like where other dbs struggled in those one on one situations because Baldy, you know, it's slated for the offense to win in one on ones with receivers and dbs. He actually elevated his game doing those scenarios because that's what he does on a daily basis. And Baldy hit this on the head earlier talking about a lot of these kids play more zone in college. Well, that's where you kind of get exposed and man coverage when it's one on one situations, and that's where he really solidified itself and showed that he could be a press man cover corner. I think being there in the third round was a surprise to AG and Darren Moujie. As to Baldy's point, this was a rich defensive tackle class and there was a run in the second round and then Darius, even Darius Alexander fell to the first round and the third the first pick in the third round, so maybe he was a consideration as well, but he was also gone by the time they picked. They looked at their board, they looked at where the next defensive tackle was maybe and they said, you know, Thomas on the board was significantly higher than the next defensive tackle. So we're gonna get the most bang for our buck with the value with getting Thomas here. And I think that's why they took him in the third round ball he we.
Speaker 3: Thought the Jets were gonna add receiver at some point. Early Day three starts with Aaron Smith out of Georgia. What can you say about his physical skill set?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean he's got world class speed.
Speaker 6: I think he runs you know, a ten to one eight hundred meters, which is world class, right, But you know, I mean there's speed and then there's football speed. This guy separates Like this guy when you watch him, you know he's fast because he's going up against sec he you know, cornerbacks and defenses and he's running by people. Now he needs to go get married to a drug machine and he needs get on I mean because you know, look, the guy has not had a lot of production at Georgia, and he wasn't on the field lot. They had a lot of other talented guys. He had to kind of wait his time, and you know, he made the best of it this year. But for the most part, this is a guy that you can't teach this kind of speed. He's going to open up things underneath for a lot of players. And I keep going back to Detroit. I mean this is what they have, you know, with one of their elite players in Williams there and this is the prototype right here. Get a guy that can fly. Now, he's not he's not polished yet. There's a lot he's got to learn, but the raw talent is there at that position.
Speaker 3: All right, dud, So one of the receiver has problems with drops? Is that something that you can coach it out of him?
Speaker 1: Meaning?
Speaker 3: It was interesting last weekend because Baldi talked about.
Speaker 1: James and Williams.
Speaker 3: Aaron Glenn talked about jameson Williams and you know the scouting report on him coming out and his difficulties with drops? Is it more Can it be a physical thing that turns into a mental thing or is it more mental when you're talking about drops. This is a kid who averaged nineteen point nine yards of reception at Georgia. And the other thing that I really like is he's got a mentality. He's not just like, oh, I'm a speed and ness guy. He brings up physicality the game and I think immediately he's going to contribute on special teams.
Speaker 1: You always want that in your day. Three picks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, without a doubt. You go back to the Jamison Williams comparison. He definitely struggled. You know, he came in with an injury, but he struggled his first full year playing in regards to drops, and people were wondering, dang, did Detroit potentially reached too early for this guy and then he was able to put it together.
Speaker 2: To me, it's more of a mental confidence thing. And Baldy, you know this.
Speaker 4: You covered the game for a long time, like there sends to be a mental block. Once you drop one pass, then you drop another, then you drop another, and the only way to get over that is to continue to go out there and.
Speaker 2: Try to catch the football.
Speaker 4: Like once you finally catch the ball, your confidence is going to go out of this world. So I think for him it's going to be a mental thing, and he has one of the best receiver coaches and son, Jefferson, to help instill some of that confidence into him to hopefully get him over that help.
Speaker 2: Because going back passed.
Speaker 4: Last year in the twenty three season, didn't have issues would drop passes. It was only this past season and then even at the Singer Bowl he dropped a few as well.
Speaker 2: So you would hope that they.
Speaker 4: Could instill some confidence in the young man and he could get back to where he was in the twenty three season.
Speaker 7: Real quick, real quick.
Speaker 6: I'd love to see you know, that daily competition with him in sauce. You know, I think it's because his speed is gonna make sauce really like, you know, stretch those hamstreets before practice, but go up against a.
Speaker 7: Long corner like that.
Speaker 6: I mean that should help him in practice out there, like just the whole iron sharpens iron type thing.
Speaker 3: Baldy on that subject, how does it change the dynamic defensively when the Jets put a guy like Smith out there on the field. You know, you're number one going on the outside is Garrett Wilson. You've fortified that offensive line. But then if you got Smith out there and the safety noises out there on the field, what is it going to do for everybody else?
Speaker 7: Well, your safeties are are not going to be nosy.
Speaker 6: They're not you know, they're gonna line up, They're gonna give themselves an extra step. You know, the corners are gonna do their scout and report and they're gonna go. You know, nobody wants to get beat. Nobody wants to you know, somebody to run by him on tape. Nobody wants that on the resume, and so you naturally start backing up a little bit when you've got a guy. We saw it with Jameson Williams, like I would expect. Some of the things that they did do is with Jameson like to end a rounds and reverses and stuff, put the ball in his hands and let him go to work. I mean, that's what they did. But you saw the safeties were backing up before the ball was snapped with him in the lineup and in key spots, and so I can see defenses have the same fear that that speed.
Speaker 7: Puts in you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And to that point, Baldy, right when you talk about Garrett Wilson eating up the middle of the field, because you talk about tenner enstring coming over from Detroit route those past concepts where you run that deep dig and when I say deep dig, you run you know, ten yard fifteen yards down the field and you break inside.
Speaker 2: Right, you have that linebacker that's in zone coverage.
Speaker 4: Well, because Garrett Wilson is a guy, you know you want to get the ball to. What he does is he just runs a quick, little ten five ten yard stop route and then everybody collapses on him. Now you have a guy behind him wide open. And that's what Detroit did with Jamison Williams and Amar Ross Saint Brown because Amar Rossaint Brown is one of the best slot receivers in football and he tears up the middle of the field. Garrett Wilson has that same skill set. Now with the speed of Arian Smith, he can do some of the things that Jamo did in Detroit to free up Gary Wilson, because if you get nosy, you're gonna give up a fifteen yard dig route every single play because everybody's colliding on Garrett Wilson.
Speaker 3: All right, boul, let's get a last word from you, because you got to catch a plane, and I'm sure you're gonna be swimming with the sharks here in a couple hours. Aaron Glenn said, we're looking for tough, physical, violent, aggressive, and resilient players. What did you see from him? I want to comment from you overall on ag and Mougie, the way they attack this thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look, you know there's comps out there to armand menmut to Jason Peters, who's going to the Hall of Fame that the Eagles basically had for most of their career but I mean just an explosive body type, you know that can you know, walk guys off the line of scrimmage. And Mason Taylor is a much better blocker than anybody probably talked about. They just talked about him as a flex tight end. But he's going to get his share of stalemates as area is, like, he's getting his hands on guys and stony guys is a line of scrimmage. He doesn't seem like I know he didn't run a fast forty times, but he didn't seem like he had any fear of getting his hands on guys and winning at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 7: And for me, I want my receivers that are going up against my corners to have to work to get off the line of.
Speaker 6: Scrimmage, you know, to have to work on the releases all week, knowing you're gonna have two ends in the chest and so and then Malachi, you know, look, you start for five years at Alabama like that. First of all, you got to get through practice at Alabama, you know, and that's that's a challenge by itself. Then you you know, game days probably in some cases, especially when Nick was there, like game days were a relief probably over what they did in practice. And so there's a mentality of a toughness, big programs that these guys came from that they're bringing to the Jets right now.
Speaker 1: All right, get out of hair ball. The great jobs always.
Speaker 7: All right, guys, take care of me.
Speaker 5: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendri Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop game Day Ready, jewelry styles and so much more at kendristock dot com.
Speaker 1: Hey dude, the pod carries on. Man. He just mentioned Malachi Moore. Man. Yeah, played five seasons.
Speaker 3: There at Alabama and they used them all over the place. With that being said, how do you envision him coming in and working in the defensive backfield?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I know we talked about this pre draft, but when you look at the makeup of the roster, there's a significant amount of free safeties on this roster. When you talk about Tony Adams, you talk about you know, Andre Cisco, also Isaiah Oliverer with the ability to play free safety in some slot corner as well. By trade, Malachi Moore is a free safety. But because of the lack of foot speed and I don't say that disrespectfully because he has great instincts and he tracks the ball extremely well. I believe he transitions into strong say because he's a tone center in that secondary Like when he hits you, you feel it and you could tell. He plays with a tenacity and physicality that Aaron Glenn and Derry Muonji were looking for in this draft. So I think he's a guy that can play in the box. As a matter of fact, in Alabama they blitched him a lot off the edge.
Speaker 2: Ea. He was a guy that was constantly in the box.
Speaker 4: There were sometimes he literally disguised like he was blitzing and then he would get to the middle of the field right because he just has the wherewithal the instincts to do that. So I think this is a guy that crazy can transition into the box. He actually plays some slot corner for them as well, so he definitely has the short area of quickness to be able to cover tight ends down in the flat down the scene, but also be that extra guy and run the fence that you need in the box.
Speaker 3: A Heady ball Player fifteen and a half tackles for Lost There with the Crimson Tide thirty one pds and while you're saying he's not the biggest guy, he's going to go in there and he's going to tackle. He's not afraid of contact at all. He's gonna mix it up. So it's gonna be interesting to see once he gets on the field behind me here at one Jets drive, how he's gonna be used in that secondary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, without a doubt.
Speaker 4: Again, I think he makes that transition to strong safety, and I think and he ag kind of even you know, you know said these words, they don't have an opportunity to compete.
Speaker 2: To start this year.
Speaker 4: And they'll also use him on special teams because let's not forget at Alabama, not only was he a starter on defense at safety, but he was a starter on special team. So he has elite game experience when it comes to being a special teams player. So I think you'll in that phase of the game definitely making the immediate impact for the Jets.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about a couple of Hurricanes, shall we. You're down in Florida. Keiko Mayonoa uh thumper, right guy, played middle linebacker that Miami. Started his career at Washington State, grew up in American Samoa had a long journey.
Speaker 1: To get to this point.
Speaker 3: Uh, but he's a guy really gets after it and maybe he comes a Corps special teamer for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, without a doubt, you take him into fifth round. This is a physical another physical player, right, Those were the attributes that Darren Moujie and Aaron Glenn were looking for. This is a guy that gets downhill in a hurry. Now has struggled at times when it comes to disengaging off offensive lineman. But he's a guy that they also used in blitzing at Miami frequently. And he's a really good blitzer and knows how to get to the quarterback. And if you know anything about you know, Coach Wilkes and also Aaron Glenn, they like to bring pressure. So that's something that probably you know, piqued their interest when looking at his film.
Speaker 2: And also in zone coverage, he's a pretty good athlete.
Speaker 4: He knows how to match when I say match zone, when somebody comes into your zone area, he essentially turns it into man and matches really well with those receivers with tight ends.
Speaker 2: He does a really good job doing that.
Speaker 4: And then Tyler Barron is a guy really like I think his comp for me is similar to Jermaine Johnson when he was coming out right, very physical guy. He bends tight ends backwards at the point of attack. He's a guy that also rushes with power, but also developed, I would say after the season when he was at the East West and really showed a bevy of different pass rush moves. So there's high upside there as a pass rusher. So I think you get another good player in the fifth round with really good value that they traded up for to And when you look at the edge group right behind Jermaine Johnson was coming off of major injury and also Will McDonald who had doubled the the sacks, there's a lot of young and youthful guys behind that. So you want to be able to add to that room, especially if you think there's really good value in Tyler Barron in the fifth round.
Speaker 3: What do you make of the connections to Jason Taylor former Jeff Mason Taylor had a year here, grown up in New York City. And also when you talk about the edge there in Tyler Baron his position coach at Miami with Jason Taylor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, without a Dallas, a lot of connections between one.
Speaker 2: Just drive and those guys that were either drafted.
Speaker 4: From Miami or guy who his dad played here, right, and Mason Taylor. So you love the family connection and then also the coaching connected connection. It'll be great to see probably Jason Taylor come back around more now that his son is going to be playing in the Green and White. Now again, he has to be on the field on Saturdays because he has the coach's edge guys at the University of Miami. But I'm sure he's gonna do his best to make sure he makes it a few of Mason Taylor's game. So you always talk about bloodlines when it comes to athletes, and he has an elite bud line with his father being a Hall of Famer or Ring of Honor member for the Miami Dolphins. Again, you talked about how he played here in New York, so they're really familiar with the area as well. And then also Barn, I'm sure he's talking to Jason Taylor as well as far as him making that transition from Miami up here. Let's not forget he transferred from Tennessee going to Miami. Now he's going to be coming to New York and his coach played here a year.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the Jets. They did not add a quarterback in this draft.
Speaker 3: Obviously, they signed justin fields and free agency.
Speaker 1: He was a priority.
Speaker 3: He's twenty six years old, former first round pick, did a lot of good things with Pittsburgh last year. He's going to have a big time opportunity here with the Jets. Tyrod Tayler, he's a backup quarterback. Jordan Travis here, Adrian Martinez. Neither of those guys have taken an NFL snap. We wondered before the draft, Hey, are the Jets going to take a developmental passer?
Speaker 1: We all thought maybe that's a possibility.
Speaker 3: They didn't in the draft, but they did sign Brady Cook, armand Mambu's teammate at Missouri as an undrafted free agent.
Speaker 1: What's the Scoulary report?
Speaker 4: I Cook really loved that signing by the New York Jets. If we go back to the twenty three season, this was a guy heading into twenty four that a lot of people consider a second round pick, maybe even in the back of the first round.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 4: He was plagued by injuries this last year at Missou and just didn't look right at times, held onto the ball a little bit too long. But again going back to that twenty three tape, it was really good athletic quarterback that they used in the run games times at Mazoo.
Speaker 2: And there's a guy that could really spin it.
Speaker 4: Let's not forget he was throwing to the oise and also Luther Burden the third out there, and going back to that twenty three season, we saw exclusive explosive Luthor Burden was with Cook as the quarterback. So this is a guy that again you're getting really good value in as an undrafted free agent because going into this season many consider him going in the first two rounds.
Speaker 3: How about this when you talk about Cook and his athleticism, intriguing man four point five to nine in the forty thirty seventy ten eight broad jump. So he's a dual threat himself in terms of he can give you some juice with.
Speaker 1: His legs and correct.
Speaker 3: You know, he's gonna be a guy that's gonna be interesting to watch here in the spring.
Speaker 2: Of the summer, without a doubt.
Speaker 4: Now, again, you never know how roster construction is gonna end up happening. Right before the season. Do the Jets only keep two quarterbacks? Do they potentially keep a third. I think he'll fit in right and with you know the Adrian Martinez is of the world in regards to competing for that third spot or maybe even a precnice squad spot to develop on this roster. Who knows, right say he develops really well, could he potentially be in competition in the following year for a backup role. That's going to be determined. But I really do like the signing by the Jests to bring Cook.
Speaker 3: In to's roster building. It's never over, there's never done. But as we sit here a couple of hours removed, a little bit punchy, I would say both of us are after a draft weekend.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the Jets roster right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so when you look at it in the draft, and I always say this, EA, you build through the draft and you kind of fill a few voids through free agency, right And I think they did a really good job with that combination of filling some much needed voids in free agency. When you talk about the defensive tackle position, now, I know that's the area that I think everybody's surprised they didn't attack in the draft because this may have been the deepest defensive tackle draft that we ever seen. But it also goes to show you that they stuck to their board, right, EA, when you talk about taking Membo first round, taking Mason Taylor second round, there may have been a defensive tackle there in the third round, but the value of taking Thomas outweighed taking that defensive tackle for need in the third round. And then you know when you come back in the fifth round and they had to trade and give away some picks to move up to get Tyler Barron, which again I think it was an under the radar need as far as getting a third defensive end behind Jermaine Johnson and Will McDonald, as well as far as edge guys.
Speaker 2: Say defensive end, because we're still trying.
Speaker 4: To figure out between Steve Wilks and Aaron Glenn what this defense will actually look like. Right, will it be a traditional four to three that Wilkes likes to run or will it be a three four that Aaron Glenn likes to run. So I'm just gonna say edge defender behind Will McDonald and also Jermaine Johnson. So I think getting Barron there in the fifth round was actually really smart as well. So when you look at it, is there still maybe question marks at a safety position. Could they potentially still sign a vet there?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Could they maybe sign another you know vet edge or defensive tackle. I think that could be a possibility. People forget ea that there's waves of free agency. Right there's the opening week, then there's that second tier, then there's a tier after the draft when you feel like you want to there's still some voids on your team and maybe you can fill a void here and there. You'll see you'll start to see more guys sign, I would say leaning up to training camp and even into training camp, as teams discover what their roster is truly like and voids they have on their roster.
Speaker 3: It's not as if they did not address defensive tackle on free agency. They had to just because the body's coming and gone right correct, I mean they got j to Folly obviously. They also added Byron Coward and then Derek Noddy. He's the guy who he might be stationed next to Quinning Williams on early downs run downs.
Speaker 1: He comes from.
Speaker 3: Kansas City, a lot of experience there. And then the other guy that I just wanted to throw a name at you, Letard Taylor did something.
Speaker 1: Without a thanks his first year.
Speaker 3: So I don't think we should forget about him as part of the equation either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you look at him essentially like a draft pick because you got to kind of stole him as an undrafted free agent, right And he came in and people were worried about his work ethic, but he put his head down and he worked and he earned you know, making this team throughout preseason and training camp, and then he saw him kind of paid dividends towards the back half of the year where he started getting more reps, got more comfortable, started making some splash plays. So he has to be a part of, you know, this transition at defensive tackle as well.
Speaker 2: He has to be part of the future.
Speaker 4: When you talk about you know that just essentially not drafting somebody this year, don't forget they still have a young Leonard Taylor that's only going into a second year.
Speaker 3: All right, Listen, you have the unenviable task of delivering draft grades for all these teams when we oh, no, that you really can't draft I mean great a draft class, excuse me until two years down the road. With that being said, we got to end here and say, what are you giving the Jets?
Speaker 4: I gave the Jets in my grade draft grade, I gave him a B minus. I thought they felt some really good voids when you talk about Arma Membu and Mason Taylor. Obviously, getting Thomas was a bonus and a third round because of value, but I think you know, when it comes to missing out on a defensive tackle, on a defensive tackle rich class. That's why I kind of slided the Jets a little bit and gave them a B minus because I thought there was so much value still out there even in the third or fourth rounds that they could have attacked that and then essentially let somebody grow with Leonard Taylor and Quinn Williams. But other than that, I love what the Jets did. In regards to malacop Bor. I think he's a guy again that makes that transition to strong safety.
Speaker 2: And then you look at Maui Gooa.
Speaker 4: As a physical guy to will probably start off on special teams. I think barn And have a nice role. He could potentially compete to be that swing defensive end or edge guy for the Jets in his rookie year.
Speaker 1: Hey man, hell of a job throughout this thing.
Speaker 3: It's been quite a run as always and remember next year.
Speaker 1: When Due starts.
Speaker 3: Making his predictions, he had URMA member going to the Jets.
Speaker 1: Early on, he