Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, fellow Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's hear it for our super producer, mister Max Party America Premium Williams.
Speaker 2: I don't understand, but I couldn't get at. I can't retard.
Speaker 1: Max says, that's none other than the legendary mister Noel Brown.
Speaker 2: In his mind.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, they call me, Ben Bullen, your legendary in my mind as well and my heart. Oh my gosh, Hey guys, when's the last time you had a solo cup by myself? Ah, that's a great question, nol. But we're specifically talking about those plastic red cups. Yeahs, you know it's funny, Ben, it's been a minute.
Speaker 2: I don't really see those pop up as much. But you know what I always think of, and I'm not a fan of modern country and Western music, red solo cup. I feel you up, Let's have a party. It became a bit of a like a pop cultural touchstone for the redneck class in any pejorative sense. I think they would gladly accept that term in the country music world and embrace it.
Speaker 1: And I will argue that Toby Keith is somewhat of a bankrupt artist.
Speaker 2: Is that who does that song? Yes?
Speaker 1: Uh, it is the guy who does that song. It will share more of the lyrics as well. The Internet calls it a novelty country song. Yes and uh. Mister Keith himself, also in an interview, called it the worst song he had ever heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it reminds me of a well it's funny. At least he owns it.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of a song about the Zach brown Man that goes just a little chicken fry, cold b are on a Friday night, a pair of pants.
Speaker 2: The fits just right. It also, Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: It feels very American such that it reminds me of the Alan Jackson song where they're like way down yonder on the chat hooch. Never knew how much I've went to.
Speaker 2: Is that that muddy water? How much that much muddy waters to me? But I learned how to swim, and I learned what a lot about living in a little bit. What the second thing you learned how to do? The swim? He learned.
Speaker 1: I learned how to swim, and I learned who I was who I was living in a little bit.
Speaker 2: See, I was picturing its sort of like the mud skipper emerging from the water and swimming and then immediately sprouting legs, evolutionarily speaking down on the chattahoots.
Speaker 1: So if you are so Pardner, are very specific references here, folks. This is not just for our American ridiculous historians in the crowd. Yeah, hey, right on, brother, But if you are from the United States or have spent some time in this country, you are going to recognize this bad boy, the humble red solo cup instantly. They're at cookouts, there are picnics, there are house parties, they're at college campuses. Noll Backwen, our pal Max used to work at the hospitality, beverage entertainment industry. You would give people plastic cups if you knew they would break a glass.
Speaker 3: We actually had all of our rocks glasses for a very very very long time. We're just plastic rocks glasses. It's a very large concerned effort to actually switch them to real glass like many years later. But we also were known for being a place that would involve some fights and a little bit of vomit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, you learn who you was. Yeah, a little vomit.
Speaker 1: Ben.
Speaker 2: By the way, research associated shortened air on this particular topic. I grew up in the shadow of a Dixie cup factory in my hometown of Augusta, Georgia, where the building, the facade of the building looks like a giant cup. Amazing phenomenal. Yeah, and I think there's Dixie down in Dixie. Dixie plays into this, Yes.
Speaker 1: Very much so, Noel, you're correct. The solo cup that you are going to see in film and fiction and television shows today, it's ubiquitous, it's cheap, disposable, it's pretty bad for the environment. It is super convenient. It's one of those inventions we take for granted. I remember a few episodes ago we were talking about how we all took cups for granted. But we have to remember that somebody at some point in history looked at water and said, what if I could take this somewhere?
Speaker 2: Oh, a vessel perhaps, right? Right? We were so appressed. What if it didn't leak? Right? What if it was not a sieve?
Speaker 1: Why are we dedicating an entire episode to solo cups today? It's because there is more to these cups that meets the eye, the red Solo cup in particular, and it is a brand name owned by a place called the Dark Corporation. Now it has become this ambassador for American culture. It's celebrated or venerated. If we want to use that word across the planet. How do we get there? We got to start at the beginning. You absolutely nailed it.
Speaker 2: Null. It really starts with Dixie cups. So to your point, Ben about you know, glassware versus disposable cups. It takes for granted that there was a time where disposable cups just weren't a thing, dude, not even individual cups. Maybe at the dentist, you know, where you'd spit into something, or like those tiny cups you'd see at the water cooler, but it wasn't as much of an ubiquitous thing. At barbecues, people would have like plastic, stacky reusable cups or glassware. Way before this man.
Speaker 1: This is one of the first ridiculous facts of the day of this episode. Individual cups, folks, were not always a thing. It wasn't until the early twentieth century that people in the United States figured out cups for yourselves. Uh, it was common it was commonplace for the public to use communal cups. They called them ten dippers. So instead of a water fountain at your railway station or a public building, there would be a barrel of standing water and there would be a little ten thing that looks like kind of a ladle exactly.
Speaker 2: I've certainly seen that depicted in I want to say dead would those kinds of shows, but yeah, I mean you would literally just scoop yourself up a swig and guzzle it down. It's a lot like what does perpetual stew?
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, distressingly so, man, because this was a pool for all the germs. It was before the invention of the water fountains you will see in schools and hospitals today, which people still call dirty. This stuff, this communal idea was cheap to manufacture, but it was a disaster for public health because think about it, all it takes is one thirsty guy with a communicable disease to.
Speaker 2: Hit that little tin dipper, and their mouths are gross, even the circumstances reminkable diseases assigned. Yeah, all it.
Speaker 1: Took was one thirsty person and everybody after that person who hit up that communal tin dipper was going to be exposed to all sorts of nasty conditions. The buffins of the day, like the biologists, the public health folks, they embraced what we know as germ theory. By the eighteen nineties they said, yeah, this is real. The things that are too small for your eye to see can transmit between you. They can kill you. Microscopic organisms, bacteria, virus, but similar to the covid pandemic which continues today. Most Americans in the late eighteen hundreds, early nineteen hundreds, they still fought against the idea. They were like, who are these nerds? If I can't see it, if I can't smell it, why would it make me sick?
Speaker 2: Get out of here, pencil neck egghead? Get out of here.
Speaker 1: And this is where we have on to the stage of history. Strolling two brothers in law, Lawrence Llewellyn and Hugh Moore that's his real name. I have to note this because you know I love a dumb joke, nol Hugh Hugh Moore Moore, But Hugh Moore, that's his real name.
Speaker 2: Was he a funny guy? Do you think? I hope so it was a fun guy. I hope so.
Speaker 1: Was his brother in law. Lawrence was a lawyer in Boston, and one of Lawrence's clients was this physician. And this physician came up and asked the same thing that you were talking about earlier. He said, Look, I got a lot of tuberculosis patients. I need easily disposable cups so I can test their fluids or spoot them.
Speaker 2: Jesus, yeah, man spewed them. That's sort of like the froth that is ejected from one's lips when speaking a little too robustly. Yeah, taker, shout out to Doc Holiday. Right.
Speaker 1: So our buddy, who is again an attorney in Boston, he creates this small, pleated, wax coded paper cup, and then he further comes up with this idea of or cups, up with this idea of a vending machine. Right, so you put a penny in this awkward looking porcelain device, it will dispense a cup made of wax coded paper filled with cold water. This is the ancestor of the modern dixie cup.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I don't. And again, those little mouthwashed cups, the little dentist cups that we remember from our childhood, wax coated I remember that distinct tactile sensation of a waxy cup. I even remember scratching on him, making little etchings or whatever. It doesn't seem like those are nearly as popular anymore. You don't see the waxy cups as much. Maybe in a water cooler, but even nowadays you see more little plastic ridged cups in the water dispenser in an officer like a waiting room.
Speaker 1: Yeah and okay, so this guy's brother in law, Hugh Moore never not funny name. Sorry about history there, Bud, but he was. This guy is a pretty smart dude. He had actually moved into the neighborhood in Boston to go to Harvard, but as soon as he learned about this cup idea, he dropped out of one of the best schools in the nation to help with this business, and he got into politics. He joined the progressive movement at the time to abolish ten dippers.
Speaker 2: What a cost. I think we can all support that. No, no more ten dippers. It's fun to stillboards, share cups. But also little self interested right, I mean absolutely was he was lobbying. Yes, I mean he had a business plan that would directly benefit from the abolition of the ten dipper and it also happened to align with the greater good.
Speaker 1: Yes, happened to is the perfect phrase. It's nineteen oh eight and the brothers in law they incorporate something they call the American Water Supply Company of New England, and their whole business is creating, installing, and servicing these vending machines that will give you a paper cup of water for one penny.
Speaker 2: One single penny. Writing for Canals, historian Martha Capwell Fox put it this way. The same year, a Lafayette College biology professor Alvin Davison published Death in School Drinking Cups The Lurid. The title was understated compared to the results of his study of illness and Eastern school children as a result of common cup hyphenated contamination CCC. Yeah, yeah, she goes on paraphrasing here. He found, Davison that classroom cups were absolutely riddled, as you like to say, ben with germs, causing everything from colds and flus to more serious conditions that didn't even have vaccinations. I believe at the time, things like chicken pox and diphtheria. I mean, we already know that schools, especially elementary and middle are already breeding grounds for these kinds of illnesses, let alone introducing shared you know, spit troughs into the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he reminds me of how every year, without fail, one of my friend's children will get hoof and mouth disease, foot and mouth disease.
Speaker 2: Like, why is that a thing? This guy that we're.
Speaker 3: Mouth humans, but foot foot mouth definitely is.
Speaker 2: That's the one we're looking for.
Speaker 3: And the real name of it is cocksacky virus.
Speaker 2: Phones bags And he dropped in the knowledge.
Speaker 1: It's just for you.
Speaker 2: So good there we go, all right, what's your mouth? Right?
Speaker 1: So most children, human children do not have hoofs. We have confirmed it here for the first time. This guy, this professor Alvin Davidson, found that, look, there is a problem. He went to various public health institutions, various political outfits, and said, you know what's really smart, This guy Llewellyn has invented a vending machine with disposable paper cups. And so state after state begins passing laws that ban those shared cups, those tin dippers, and railroads start saying, hey, if we want to look fancy, we're going to put something like this in our passenger cars. We'll have a closed tank of water in each car. These guys are blowing up, dude. This is like, this is like when podcasts became a thing. It's nineteen oh nine. The guys have to move past Boston. They move their operation to New York City, where they eventually get New York City.
Speaker 2: But also the most clever name for any company ever, I have to say, the Individual Drinking Cup Company. That's almost as good as the company the Individual Drinking Cup Company of New York's. Yea, we needed to know where they were headquartered.
Speaker 1: Right, They had to put it in the name, apparently, and their business skyrockets. A few years later, they're selling something they're calling the health Cup with a K, and they make a lot of money during the influenza epidemic of nineteen eighteen. But they're still not called Dixie cups. So riddle us this know. How did they become called Dixie cups?
Speaker 2: It's kind of weird, man. I didn't know this at all, but mister Moore had the idea that the term Dixie might be a positive association to make with the cup because of the Civil War and the Dixie dollar. It was a type of yeah currency that was used. They called it the what is it the French French dix yayya French word for ted uh huh okay. I wish I was in Dixie. Hooray, hooray Dixie l I don't know about all that, guys, but at the time it seemed like it was gonna hit. But unfortunately there was already a doll company. Yeah, that's right, like dolls, like like QB Dolls, but you know, not that brand that bore the name Dixie, the Dixie Doll Company, of course. And so he asked the doll maker laureate there if he could borrow the business name Dixie and use it as a marketing tool, because he figured that adding that very popular and zeitgeisty name word to it was going to convey a sense of reliability, kind of finding because no one only no one really talks about the Dixie Buck anymore. But I guess at the time it was it made sense. It would read as like, oh, this is an old trustee that's gonna get us through the hard times.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like naming your disposable cup old reliable.
Speaker 2: Because just so they should put that in the name of the company.
Speaker 1: They should have Maybe they didn't they didn't have the space to print it.
Speaker 2: The old reliable Dixie Cup Company of New York. Oh wow, perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the French issued a currency in Louisiana, or was French language prior to the Civil War. So it's a weird thing for our buddy Hugh Moore to seek out. It is out of the box thinking. This is just what the company needed. Their reputation as a dixie cup grows over time, and they get this huge boost when soda fountains throughout the United States introduce their own vending machines, kind of automatic machines that can fill a cup with two flavors of ice cream at.
Speaker 2: The same time. Nice. Nice, right forward to the future, sure a girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just so, we're not at Neapolitan just yet.
Speaker 2: But we're on the way. This is also quite soft serve, it's not. I believe you're correct. You know, we should do we should do a history of soft serve because there's a lot of interesting technology and cultural significance in soft serve. You know that really popular thing in Japan. There's like a whole milk based soft serve. The people are screaming about it finally made its way over here. I would love to know about all of those things. We should do it.
Speaker 1: That's an excellent idea, Nol. We also know that there was a new kind of cup that came along with all these new ice cream machines. It is called the ice cream Dixie. It's still the same cup, and the Dixie brand is around today. But this is not answering our question about the solo cups. So while the Dixie company, or while this paper cup manufact company is blowing up, there is a guy who works there named Leo Holsman. It's yeah, yeah, this is our solo cup guy. By the way, Ben, there's apparently even a historical debate on who invented soft serve, So we've got to do it.
Speaker 2: We have to. There's a lot of science behind it. Sorry, just putting that out there. It's between Tom Carvel and Dairy Queen, the big beef, the soft served beef. So we'll get to that in a future episode. Feels real pepsi versus coke, It really does. So, as you said, Ben, we've got Leo Holtzman Hoolsman entering the Chat nineteen thirty six. He ventured out on his own and founded another brilliantly descriptively named paper container Manufacturing Company, not of Chicago. It wasn't in the name, but it was in Chicago. And by this point a lot of folks were trying to get into the old paper cup game. There was a boom time for the big cup. Yeah again like podcast.
Speaker 1: During the pandemic, public opinion grew increasingly on board with germ theory. Paper cups are a huge business, and their business is often supported by the medical community and politicians. So what we're saying here is if there was ever a tin dipper communal cup lobby, they were done for at this point. Holsman's the paper container Manufacturing Company. Again, weird name. I agree with you. There they created a signature item. It was not read, it was not round. It was a cone, so very familiar to the kind of cone paper you might see it a dentist office.
Speaker 2: Right. That's right, Then you really nailed it, because I wasn't even hearkening back that far. But that's certainly you're triggering a core memory from me because the earlier days were a come. But problem there is you can't set a cone.
Speaker 1: Down, no, just throw it away, right, It's a paper cone for a limited time.
Speaker 2: It was Aldso that's kind of a feature, not a bug, isn't it. You don't want people setting them down. You want them drinking it once and then tossing it because it was a built in safeguard from maybe somebody accidentally sharing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you can't put it on the table. God forbid, there'd be some sketchy dude who rocks up and sees a sees a paper cup of unidentified liquid and says, is that tuberculosis?
Speaker 2: Spit mary over right? But you know it's funny. Then those paper cones did still get some use at places like diners who invented these little little cone holder things. So you'd have a cone full of say French fries or even a moll and it would be in one of these paper cones, and then the cone would go in these weird little little uh what do you call it caddies kind of you know, okay, yeah, kind of defeats the purpose a little bit. Yeah, that's maybe that's discussion for another. It's a good way to serve fries.
Speaker 1: Also, we have to emphasize that these little guys, these cone cups, they were called solo cups first, meaning cups you don't have to share with strangers, just for you, just for you.
Speaker 2: This Solo cups, Solo Dolo and Solo You.
Speaker 1: And so Solo went on to make other innovations. They made disposable coffee cups. They made the cups that you will see in movie theaters, fast food restaurants. So if you go to a theater and you get a medium soda, or you go to a fast food place and you order a drink with your combo meal, you'll see that the inner and outer lining is wax. That's the Solo cup.
Speaker 2: Guys. They're the ones who figured that out. But it wasn't until the nineteen seventies that Leo's son, Robert Leo Hoolseman, decided to do a little bit of rebranding because you know, when we think of the Solo cup, we always think of the quintessentially fire engine red version. Kim Healy, who is the VP of Consumer Business for Solo in twenty eleven, actually admits that the history might be considered a little bit sketchy, a little bit of a gray area. However, the company does maintain we know we were one of the first to introduce a party cup, so making it right, was just making it fun. It's a fun cup, a party cup that sounds so crazy. I have a party.
Speaker 1: We've been in a lot of situations, folks, the three of us over the years, and we have walked into places where someone says, oh, do you have your badge, do you have your bracelet or whatever, here's your party cup.
Speaker 2: We've been in those situations.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about these these cups as well, Ben, is they're practically I mean, are you not supposed to dishwash them? I feel like they're not gonna melt if they're top dishwasher top top exactly. They're top rack.
Speaker 1: So I mean, it's sort of like they're becoming less disposable at this point, but it's more a product of consumerism that they're still considered disposable.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. It's just sort of a cheap plastic cup that is fun looking, right.
Speaker 1: Steve Stevenson, writing for Slate back in twenty eleven, describes it as the Sherman Tank of disposable mealware. It is made of a thick, molded, specific type of polystyrene, and it gets uh, let's just.
Speaker 2: Give you the pack. Oh he's good. This is good writing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he says, quote, the Sulu party cup could be squeezed in meadi frat guy pauls it could be dropped to the ground by tipsy high school cheerleaders and mercilessly battered by flip cup contestants all the wild, maintaining shape and functionality. It was stiffer and more resilient than competitor party cups like Dixies.
Speaker 2: Just squeeze it.
Speaker 1: Throw it, drop it, flip it, bop it, et cetera. The Solo cup.
Speaker 2: And it's so funny because it's just as simple as like making a cup a color that was innovation at the time. What if what if they were a color? Right? And then he's got to pick one, and they went with red, and Solo company representatives told Slay that the red cups make up about sixty percent of Solo Party cup sales to this day, with the distantly second blue cups as the runner up. Right. Yeah, And they've tested over and over again, no matter what colors or designs they try, it just seems like the red Solo cup just really stuck. That's the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you can see blue cups, as you said, yellow cups I've seen some green ones in the same design. Maybe why red. Maybe it's because it is the expected color. At this point, I was people are creatures of habit right and tradition and legacy. So maybe, for example, we could imagine how off putting it would be to walk through your favorite store and you see your usual can of Coca cola but it's blue, or you see your usual can of pepsi but it's red. You know you you wouldn't trust it.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's why I like. I mean, sometimes brand recognition is more important than the quality of the product quite often.
Speaker 1: Actually, there's also this color theory argument. We've talked about this a little bit in the past. The argument of color theory proposes that there are certain hues or certain colors that incite immediate primal reactions and human psychology. So red in color theory would signify the ideas of things like high energy or passion or emotional and redsity yes, seeing red, yeah, And blue is more tranquility and depth or consideration or thought. And I believe they say that yellow it makes you hungry. So combining red for that excitement and yellow for hunger makes a whole lot of sense for the golden arches.
Speaker 2: You know. That's a great point. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also yellow in large amounts can apparently make people panic a little. So that's why you always felt weird in a yellow kitchen, folks. Apollo gets it, Pile gets it. So perhaps if color theory holds, a red colored cup just feels psychologically somehow more correct for your next frat rager.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. It's the associations, man, And I mean like when I think of beer pong, which I've never in my life participated in, I think of red solo cups, and they even sell little small versions that are specifically for like shots or for those kind of games.
Speaker 1: We both spent a lot of time in Athens, Georgia.
Speaker 2: And you know what's funny. I never went to fraternity. I was never in a college that had fraternities. I never went to frat parties when I was actually of college age. But when I moved to Athens as a adult, I had some younger friends who invited me to these frat parties that I went to more a sociological experiments, and man, red solo cups were everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yes, Debri Gore, Yeah, solo keg cups. In particular, they hold more liquid than competing cups. They have an eighteen ounce flush fill. The company calls it as opposed to the sixteen outs fill offered by their competitors. So let's exercise empathy if we're a college kid with a perishing third and not much in the way of cash. The big cups maximize the amount of cheap beer you can scarf at a single time, which is why they're at every party and they're grippy, and they're grippy, you're pounding it back for knocking them back, as they say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they evolved.
Speaker 1: Now the current cup model has four grips, one on each side for indentations.
Speaker 2: Which is funny though because they still, to the naked eye, appear round. They're not like square cups. But they have these edges. It's a pretty clever design, if I'm being honest. Yeah, it's a very clever design. The earlier versions had ridges that people made folklore about, like the red cup has become folklore. The idea was you could measure liquid. You could even if you needed to mix cocktails based on the ridges. The horizontal ridges in the solo cup, and there are some substance abuse educators that even say college students should use the lines in the solo cup to monitor how much alcohol they are ingesting. Pretty weird. Good luck getting them to do that, right.
Speaker 1: But this is not the end of the story. As we tease, Nola, I think you did a beautiful job in this. In particular, as we tease, the United States is more than just home to the Solo cups. It's also home to one of the world's largest, most successful entertainment industries. It's been one of Uncle Sam's largest exports post World War Two, up there with the arms trade and the defense industry. So if you are European or Australia and South America, if you are heck, a person from any but the United States, you will see so many films and TV shows that feature red solo cups at every party. This became more than a product, It became a symbol. Like when I can't remember the last time you were in Europe. The last time I was in Europe, I did go to an American party. They had solo cups as a themed prop, and weirdly a lot of peanut butter.
Speaker 2: You know, there's this arcade that I love to go to called Round One that specializes in a lot of kind of more obscure Japanese cabinet games and rhythm games. And there is a Japanese game that is a beer pong simulator that absolutely has read solo cups, but not actually branded. It's just that's the look, because that is how they see us.
Speaker 1: That's the folklore, you know. And it's weird because a lot of people might travel to the US and look for low cost souvenirs instead of partying and chucking the cups in the trash the way so many people in the States do. Folks in Europe wash them, put them in the top rack of the dishwasher, and then reuse them. This does not seem to be the result of a conspiracy, does not seem to be the result of a backroom deal or some crazy awesome Bernese level pr campaign. These cups are cheap, handy, convenient, ubiquitous. Now they're thoroughly American. We even mentioned at the top Toby Keith, who recorded a weirdly addictive homage to the Red Solo Cup in twenty eleven. So, now, for better or worse, this is a piece of Americana. I don't know how it works for everybody in this wide, beautiful country of ours, but we do have to debunk one thing. The lines on the cups. Man, I think they're plastic extrusion. And then later the Solo Cup company went back and said, here will publish a guide to how to measure stuff.
Speaker 2: But they do acknowledge that it was arbitrary and that they were sort of just I kind of give them props for this, you know, the point that you made about how much liquor you should consume, how much wine or how much beer. They say, what you've seen in this advertisements. The real understanding of lines on Solo cup from the Solo company, not true or an original part of Solo cup design, but surprisingly accurate. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They have a great breakdown of an old school Solo cup, the one without the grips, but the one that does have the lines over the cup. They have one picture that says, twelve ounces of beer. That's the help me out here.
Speaker 2: In the third line down, there's a double line around the ridge and there's two big lines, so it would be the second big line would be like, okay, that'd be your fill line for around twelve ounces of beer.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then five ounces they have lower wine. They have one ounce for liquor. But then they go to the next picture and they have the same beer line twelve ounces and they say this is the amount of water you should drink five times a day, and then.
Speaker 2: Then five ounces for cereal standard serving of cereal, and then one ounce. I love this because it's the same as a shot of liquor. So you know, if you if you're out of liquor and you want to just pound some mouthwash, the same amount h super christ, Wow, a pretty solid amount of mouthwash each morning. Do not drink it. I was joking.
Speaker 1: And they also give you other things like five ounces a perfect amount of juice for kids. One out, this is how much chocolate syrup you need to make chocolate milk. Look, these folks are selling.
Speaker 2: Cups, no doubt that hard doing a fine job of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we do know that obviously, this kind of mass production can be controversial because these cups are made from number six thermoplastic polystyrene. It is multiple, it is ductile, it's very cheap to make it, but it is also very difficult to recycle it.
Speaker 2: And it's inside of all of our bodies.
Speaker 1: And all your bits, and these profits from the Solo Cup, we're happy to report have helped make the world a better place in other ways. The guy you mentioned earlier, Noel Hulsman Senior, was super big on philanthropy. He donated a ton of his money to Catholic education, to anti poverty initiatives, and religious unities.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that you never played flip cup. Well, I played the game at the arcade.
Speaker 2: Ha. Yes, well, okay, good for anyone that doesn't know, though, Ben, Oh sorry, flip cups different. I played the beer pong simulator for anyone that doesn't know, myself included. I don't think I know what flip cup is.
Speaker 1: Flip cup is where you have to take a standing cup and then flip it perfectly upside down. Oh, kind of like a bottle flip right, Yeah, just so on a horizontal surface.
Speaker 2: And at which point you're punished or rewarded by having to take a drink.
Speaker 3: The beer and you put it down. You have to flip it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you flinch, you have to marry your mother in law.
Speaker 2: Got it. Yeah, it's a it's a it's a reference too. I think you should leave. We're a lot of fun at parties. Next, how do we have a car with steering wheel? It doesn't fly off, fly out your hands and you turn it. I don't know how goes look at me, admits it.
Speaker 1: So thank you so much for tuning in, fellow ridiculous historians. We had a great time with this one. We hope you tune in as we continue to explore the ridiculous history of potatoes. Max, you've got some background on this holp we do overall with red solo cups.
Speaker 3: You did them well, you served them well.
Speaker 2: I will say that they've served us well, you know.
Speaker 1: Big thanks to our super producer, mister Max Williams. Big thanks to Alex Williams who composed this slap and bop. Big thanks to everybody who is playing flip cup tonight right now?
Speaker 2: Noel? Who else? Well, first of all, drink responsibly when playing flip cup or beer pong or you know, attending frat parties. Gosh, who else? You know? Who we heard from today via email our buddy the puzzler A J. Bahamas Jacobs. I think we're going to get him to come back around real soon. Jonathan Strickland aka the Quist who he did not hear from today.
Speaker 1: And big thanks, of course to our returning friend of the show, Jordan run Todd. Check him out very soon. We're gonna be getting weird with Elvis. Big thanks to the rude dudes over a ridiculous crime. If you dug our story about Dali and Rikers Island, you will.
Speaker 2: Love these folks.
Speaker 1: So hie thee to a podcast platform of your choice check him out ed. You know what, I'll say it. We can prank them a little bit, Nola Max. Just write to them and challenge them to a game of flip cup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Ben, thanks to you for the research on this one. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Oh Man, same thanks. Heck yeah, We'll see you next time. Folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.