Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory. Foul Territory Networks Cubs podcast. I'm Sahadev Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic and Patrick, that was a fun three game set at Wrigley Field against the White Sox. It has been it has been a long time since it felt like that. And and I'll say, like in the first game, we have already we recorded after the first game, didn't we We already had an episode. Yes, Okay, Uh, obviously that first game was insanely fun, just back and forth. I don't think I've felt that type of tension at Wrigley in a while. As far as the White Sox series, Uh, you know, I think sometimes we're like, should we even like write about this stuff? Like it just doesn't matter anymore. It like one of these teams always stinks whenever they play. And I was kind of taken aback. I don't think I said this last episode. I was kind of taken aback by how intense the White Sox fans were at Wrigley Field, the White Sox chance, the number of fans, how they were so into it. And there's you can argue that the Cubs are the better team right now. Sure they have the better record, they probably have the I mean they have I would assume they still have the better World Series odds. Even though the White Sox are in the AL and leading their division, everything they're they're definitely nationally considered a better team. But this, like, these are two good teams. The White Sox feel like they're obviously on the rise, and it was like the intensity of it all just hasn't been there, not since I've been covering these teams. I mean, the last like twenty twenty doesn't count obviously because there were no fans in the stands, and I really don't think that was a great Cubs team, even though they made the playoffs. And then I think you go back to two thousand and eight, was the last time they both made the playoffs. I wasn't covering the team back then, Yeah, so I don't know how it felt like. I remember being a fan in going to those games. My brother and I would go to a lot of Cubs Socks games, so I remember like the intensity of that, but I just like this felt different. It definitely did feel like there was more going on in the stands, and I'm not just talking about fights. I'm talking about like just the intensity of it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one definitely surpassed the hype. You're right, there are times what have you been to these crosstowns and just are like, is a game story even worth it? And these three games that really, you know, more than delivered. I think great Council as usual put it very concisely and on point of like, look, the White Sox are better team. That's why this is more fun. And you know the Cubs have you know, done their part in building a really interesting, you know, complete team that can withstand the loss of a goal gloves shortstop in Dansby Swanson and just like an onslaught of pitching injuries and.
Speaker 1: So'll be there.
Speaker 2: There's also felt later than normal. I didn't look it up to see when like the latest regular season was, but just like anecdotally, this is definitely kind of deeper in the season than I think we're we're we're used to. And I was definitely impressed with the White Socks. That don't watch them a ton. There's a lot of, gotta be honest, unfamiliar names there, but you know, they definitely have some some nice talent. We both know Will Venable a little bit, like not surprised that he was very thoughtful and respected within that clubhouse, and just the energy was just impossible, even during rain delay. Yeah, like a ninety minute rain delay. I think it started nine to forty seven on Tuesday night, and apparently, you know, breaking news tarps off is still a thing. You know, I'm surprised that like a Saint Louis thing traveled to Wrigley Field. But it was just it was hilarious because at that point, you know, a lot of my stuff was done. It was just kind of plugging in two or three details. I was able to kind of enjoy it. And it was pretty hot Monday, and uh, you know, Tuesday night it kind of cooled things off a bit. And towards the beginning the rain day, I saw like four or five like young shirtless dudes like run towards the kind of where the cubs on deck circle is and they got shoot away immediately by two or three security staffers ushers, and all of a sudden, it was just like dozens, if not hundreds of people down there, and the rain delay mix was on point. I feel like ABBA's dancing Queen was the one that really jumped out to me. But it was just like, you know, place was absolutely packed, and then a lot of people scattered towards the concourses and you know there's fans just there. They were enjoying themselves, and I thought that was just Obviously the fight in the bleachers went viral, but it also just seemed like a ton of people just enjoying two really good baseball teams. And you know, the idea of them eating in the World Series is not a total eye roll anymore. I still don't think it's going to happen, but it was at least like fun to think about the possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tarps off stuff, that's not for you and me, Patrick, that is for the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got old, I might get it same that is still going. Like I feel like a fan like that would have passed by now.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, my son went to a game in Colorado a week or two ago and was very excited to go and run enjoying the tarps off. You know, so I think this is like teenager to twenties. Those are the people that will enjoy it the most, So you know, let them have their fun. It is not. It is certainly not for me. I'm just like, yeah, that's no thanks, this seems ridiculous, but have fun, enjoy yourselves. Yeah, like I comes White Sox World Series. I'm not buying in on that, but it's not You're right, it's not like something completely ridiculous. I don't think the White Sox have the pitching to get there. I do think, you know, hey, good job by Eric Fetty, good job by Jose Orkidi shutting down the Cubs offense for quite a bit. Both of them did a good job doing that. But also like it, like it's not panic time for the Cubs offense or anything like that, Like these moments happened. The Cubs should have hit those guys. They didn't. You have games like that. Over the course of one sixty two they won two of three, So you know, as far as Cubs fans are concerned, they can take solace in that. But just overall, like so much more fun to cover that when the fans are into it, So much more fun when the teams are good. I did not expect the White Sox to get this good this quickly after how bad they were just two years ago. Records second record settingly bad. Murakami's signing just like a very obvious signing for them, Like he's gonna play every day for this guy, it's a deal right now, Like once it got to that price, it like very obvious signed for Yeah, and he's that's a miss by all the other teams. I mean, he would fit on the Cubs right now, Like why why couldn't he be there? DH, Like he'd be he'd be a great DH for them, you know, so like he would fit on any team. He'd be good for any team right now. Any team would would like to have basically a Kyle schwarberresque player. That that home run he hit Tuesday Tuesday, just like flicked it four hundred and forty feet off the oppo field scoreboard. I have not seen that before, Like I'm seeing guys hit the scoreboard but opposite field. That That was crazy, just just insane. All right, Let's take a break and talk about a player on the Cubs that, you know, may not be getting as many headlines as PCAU. It is certainly a huge part of everything that works for this offense.
Speaker 3: Hey, for those of you that are on your phones very often, or even if you don't use it much. You should check out your wireless bill and make sure that it is treating you well. In summertime, you're feeling good right, AJ But are you spending too much on your wireless bill? And should mintmobile get involved?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Some of them has two college aged kids got They are always on their phone, whether it's they're checking their snap, they're checking their DMS, they're checking their Twitter. I need fifteen dollars a month because I need unlimited quality coverage that mintmobile provides.
Speaker 3: They get that new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: No catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month, equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is b He includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required availability, speed and coverage varies. Sement Mobile dot Com.
Speaker 1: Patrick will Venable probably took a decent amount of heat on That was Monday night. Uh when he pitched to PCA to start the tenth inning three and I get it like that, that's a good debate. I don't think it was as obvious as some people were making it out to be. Look, Uh, he had a lefty on the mound. I think he was short in the bullpen. Uh he did what he did, and uh, PCA is just so good against lefties. Now that that you know, it's like a no win decision. And the reason it's a no win decision is because the guy on deck, uh, Saya Suzuki is very dangerous. He'd homered earlier in that game. He's going to crush lefties as well. You can't just like, I get it. I'm not saying I disagree with people saying that you walk PCA. Maybe you do. Like this is right now the MVP leader, I think, and one of the most dangerous hitters in the game. So maybe just it's like a little from column A, a little from columb because that run doesn't matter. So I get I get the argument. But man, Saya Suzuki is having one hell of a season, really upgraded the defense and right field. I mean, he's he's a better defender than Kyle Tucker was. He's probably like I, you know, I wonder how much he was watching Kyle Tucker last year and saying I can do that, I'm better than that, and then went and showed it, you know, and like went and you know, put in the work. Whatever he's done, like all those dropped fly balls that you know may have dinged his confidence and certainly ding to our confidence in his ability to play right field, He's put that in the past. And and you know that's not even talking about how dangerous he is at the plate, no doubt.
Speaker 2: I think the second guessing eventable, which continued into Tuesday's pregame meeting session, was certainly a sign of how far this rivalry has come, or I guess, maybe the state of it at this particular moment. And it says a lot about Saya. Who's who's going to be the number one hitter on the free agent market this winter or this November, I should say, or whatever. The window is a pre lockout, but uh, you know, something of you been working on be writing in at some point, but the idea has just been kind of in the back of my head. It's like, all right, we're approaching the end of August and Saya has really become the player the Cubs hoped, and he's he's been good, you know, throughout his time in Chicago, but just like this, it just feels like he's been building towards this when you look at his performance in last year's playoffs, which I think is something that other hitters recognize. You know, his teammates watch him in batting practice, the way he works, and they're kind of in awe of his abilities. Like even the guys at the highest level of the sport kind of take a step back, like whoa like this, this dude, you know has it and you know, how are the Cubs going to replace him?
Speaker 1: We don't know.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't immediately write him off that he's gone. I think that's how good he's performed. I think that's how hard it is to replace that kind of right handed power, which is a rare commodity in today's game. And also both sides have put a lot of work into this relationship and say it's very comfortable here. He enjoys Chicago. Through some trial and error, the Cubs and Suzuki's camp have found, you know, a good kind of working group for him, and so you know, and it's not just say it either. I mean Bregman sort of made this point Tuesday Night of Music. I feel like this is how this offense was constructed. This is how it's supposed to work. That it's long, it's deep. You got different ways to win. You can play situationally, you have slug, you have nice balance. I mean that was Sayak sort of breaking up Pete and Michael bush uh and then having Bregman perform more like the clutch performer. You know he's been I know Creik Counsel doesn't like the idea of clutch, but you know, Bregman has been a really good postseason performer. You're kind of starting, uh to see it. Ah, but yees say is really you know, if not for Pete, I think we'd be talking a lot more about as the one who's carried this offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this offense is I mean, it's really balanced very nicely. I mean I'm looking at some numbers here and there, top five in ISO, their top their seventh in home runs, but they're like, you know, shouting distance from fourth because the White Sox have three more home runs than them and their fourth they they also hit for average, their top but ten in batting average, so they like you have guys like Nico Horner who just who's been great in the second half and is hitting for average. Bragman is one of the best players in baseball right now as far as the second half goes. And say Suzuki has been great all season long. It's he's twenty, He's tied for twentieth. Then way to runs create a plus, so tied with Freddie Freeman, Alec Burlson, Miguel or Miguel Vargas is just behind him. But you know, Burlson is probably like one of the someone that you look at as like super underrated player, similar to Sayah in that sense. And then Freddie Freeman, obviously we know how important he is to the Dodgers, So I mean just really he's consistently been one of the best better hitters in baseball. You touched on it about like the free agency, Uh it is, We've we've heard this for about a year now, like how hard it is to get right handed hitting. There's just not a lot available. You look at the free agent list, you know, teams are are spending on their own players. A lot, I think is what we're seeing right now, and free agency is is hard to it's hard to win free agency because there just aren't that many good players anymore in free agency. Maybe that's why the Cubs pounced on Bregman, because you look at this class and and it's you know, as far as position players, it's like it's Saya, it's Randy or Rosarina, and then maybe like Ian Hap And I know Cubs fans probably are like, what, like, yeah, he's probably a top ten free agent this this winter. So there's just like, do I think the Cubs are going to bring back Saya? I think it all depends on what the market holds. Like, if he's being offered like a five year, huge money, that's going to be hard. You mentioned comforter, like being comfortable in Chicago. That took a little while, but they figured out how to get him comfortable in Chicago. And I think the first year wasn't perfect, but it wasn't like they expected it to be. I think both sides kind of new, like, hey, this is going to take some time for everyone to adapt and get comfortable. He did, and I think the Cubs worked really hard to figure out how to do that and they learned a lot. And he's comfortable in Chicago. I think that's really important. Does that How much does that factor? Right? I think it matters, and I think it matters to say it. So what type of deal would make sense? What type of deal could they come to? I won't. I won't rule it out. Like you said, I think there's it's a I think it's a it's just gonna be hard for them to come together because there's going to be teams just really pounding down now that door because it's so hard to get that type of talent. But if it, you know, it'd be it'll be interesting, just because how much of a factor is the fact that he knows he loves Chicago. He's really comfortable here. They have gone out of their way to make him comfortable and they like him. It's a it's a fit, it's a you know, it's a it's arguably the best one two punch in baseball. Like they they work together really well. Pete and him worked together really well at the top of that lineup, and you're what you were talking about with the depth of the lineup, like he he kind of completes it. Like you don't want to like it's a step back next year if you don't have him out there. In theory, it's a step back. They have a lot of talent and depth on offense if if guys are healthy, but you just like you'd like some certainty. You don't want to lose that power. He's their best power hitter, Like I shouldn't say that Pete's their best power hitter, but he's he's he's a big part of this offense and losing him would be tough. They don't need to think about that right now. They got twoish months left. We'll see how deep they go in the playoffs. And you know, we saw what he did last year in October. If he repeats that, then like then you got this both sides argument again. It's like, well, he's gonna get paid big time, but clearly he's really important to the Cubs. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna make that point in in kind of another direction of not to his value on the open market, but you know, big October, if the Cubs win multiple playoff rounds have a bunch of games at Wrigley Field in October. If they fall just short of winning the World Series, like that is another sort of factor that we just don't know at this point of like how they would respond to that. Sometimes that leads to a little more urgency, a little more stretching of the budget. But you know, the lockout is another unknown as well, how that all plays out. But I think it just you know, in kind of looking into this, I think we can say safely that you know, maybe you shouldn't expect him back, You certainly shouldn't rule it out, and that both sides have a pretty thorough understanding of like what has worked here and how that you know, could be difficult to replicate elsewhere.
Speaker 1: At least immediately. Yeah, absolutely, all right, let's take a quick break and talk about give the listeners some updates on pictures, help and who could be coming back from the il.
Speaker 4: Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace for Major League Baseball, and anytime you want to go to a game, you should go to sea Geek. I used to call the director of team Travel, I used to call the traveling Secretary whatever they want to be called KP to try to get a seat. But on Sea Geek, I can pick my own seat, and I can pick where I want to sit instead of being told where to sit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great option. And summer is coming to an end here soon. I'm going out and finding all the day games possible, all the warm weather cities so I could stay in this tank top. I can watch very competitive baseball as the calendar turns into fall. I want to make sure that I get the most out of this tank top and warm weather and Sea Geek is where I would go and get my seats.
Speaker 4: You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Siki. That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: Patrick Daniel Palencio will be back when you're in Seattle. They'll make a move. I'm curious to see what that move is. Do they send a sad down again or did they dfa one of those veterans. I don't think it's an easy decision. I'm sure fans think it's easy, but they rarely value depth. Well, we don't need to get into that and speculate too much there. But Plentcy is back. He was a mess about a week ago. I think he walked three guys, hit a guy in a double a rehab stint. They saw that, like they all knew, like mechanics. It's mechanics with him. It always is when he's not right, when the command isn't there, it's mechanics. His front side was off and they had people out there watching him, and they quickly addressed it. It's about locking it in and having some consistency. Something I was told was it's been a while since he hasn't pitched this long, since he hasn't pitched in games for like two months. That isn't something that he does very often, Like he hasn't had that happen in the middle of the season, like he has dealt with injuries in the past, but this was it had been a while and like he needed to He really needs to lock in the mechanics. I'm not saying he's it's locked in imperfect, but it looked much better the next two outings. I think it was a one two three inning the next outing. Then I think he phased four batters and struck out three of them in his final tune up, and he was like ninety eight to one hundred. I think he was still like a little ticked down. I think he averages like ninety nine and he was ninety or something like that. You know, like that's that's I guess we'll see, Like watching the VLO when he's out there is going to be important. What type of situation is counsel putting him in. That'll be important. But he's we we saw what he meant. We just talked about sayah in October. We saw what Poalencia meant in October and how quickly he returned to form after I believe it was shoulder that got him on the IL last year. Yeah, so this is a little different, longer time off, but he has a little bit longer runway than he did last year to get ready for the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited to see him just because, like councils said repeatedly, like Daniel just hasn't pitched.
Speaker 1: A lot this year.
Speaker 2: And I remember vividly him walking into that the Cubs clubhouse in Mesa with his World Baseball Classic metal around his neck while Pete was talking about Team Usay's loss and the championship game, and you just saw how happy Poalencia was and how proud he was of just that moment for Venezuela, and you felt it was like someone really coming into his own and you know, really poised for a huge season and this hasn't been that. But everything is obviously building towards October here and he still has a chance to make a huge impact. I doubt they're gonna displace Jacob Webb, although I think they would probably like to maybe be a little more judicious and how they're using him, just it seems like he's really carried such a huge load, maybe more than like a traditional closer. I remember in Saint Louis a couple of weeks ago, Craig saying, I get this guy's been getting biggest out every night for the last two months. And ye that was before the trade deadline, so we're talking about it, you know, almost a month ago at this point, and he just keeps doing I think is a twenty three consecutive Squirrels apperiances for web So but when you put in Palencia, it still is like nowhere close to finished product. When I mean yesterday or Wednesday's pregame meeting briefing with Craig, there's probably like ten ish names and you had a good wrap up there in the athletic Yeah.
Speaker 1: Before we get to that, I have to mention this. It's you talk about the twenty three straight Our buddy Vinnie Duber, new guy on the beat, asked during the road trip, started his question about Jacob Webb, saying it's like it's twenty one straight appearances without giving up a run, and Craig's like, don't say that, Like what do you And he looks at all of It's like you are you listening to this guy? He just like totally like calling about He's like, don't it was so funny. It was it was very enjoyable. Uh yeah, there's I mean, we kind of just ran the gamut with Council there yesterday. Going over all the pitching injuries, I'd say the best news beyond Palencia coming back, is how they're feeling about Ben Brown. Council is a little you know, is always cautious about this stuff, but he's been adamant he's pitching again for us. He is coming back this year. This guy is going to be pitching in a Cubs uniform for the big league team. What's the role? What you know, all that stuff. He's not ready to say that, but I believe Friday is what he did deemed a big step. That's live BP in Arizona. I was told Tuesday he'll pitch in an Arizona Bridge League game. These Bridge I didn't know what the Bridge League was until like, uh, until like a month ago I saw someone talking about it. I think this is like I should confirm this. But it's essentially a league that bridges the gap between the acl uh and and the a f L. So the Arizona Complex League, which is just like a like So it's not like official games, but it's games because other teams have Bridge League teams don't. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're talking about practice, yeah, practice, they're games.
Speaker 1: He's getting out the mound. And then the hope is after that Tuesday thing, Tuesday Bridge League game, he'll he'll go out to an affiliate. You do that, you build up We're talking an inning or two berths. If they want to expand like kind of you know, make it three innings or four innings. They can do that because they can build them up over the course of the season, over the course of September. But I think his role is going to look a lot like what we saw early in the season, one to two inning burst. Maybe at three inning burst. That's so valuable in September, that's so valuable in October. We'll see, We'll see where that goes. I think I didn't think there was a lot of other great news from that, Like Hobie Milner is just kind of like rehabbing still, and I think they just want to keep them going.
Speaker 2: That seems like they're slow playing that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trying to see when they can use them. They have a lot of things. Justin Steel is total up in the air. I think it was on the road where Council told us, like, we just want to get him in games. That's a win for Justin Steel this year. When he says that, he means minor league games, like if that leads to the majors, I don't think so. I shouldn't say I don't think so. I don't know. I don't know if that means he's gonna get in games in the big leagues. Hunter Harvey does not sound great, and I think you can just kind of like until you see him in a rehab game, probably don't even think much about that. But it sounds like he's not responding well. The one good news, the one other bit of good news, huge wildcard Shelby Miller's if he's healthy, if he's back, he's pitching in games. I heard this week he's gonna get in three games this week. He's already been in one where the eighteenth. So if he gets in today and then Saturday or today and Sunday something like that, like that's a lot of games for him. And then you start to think, like, Okay, now he won't hurt a major league bullpen because he can only go once every three four games, which is just not ideal for a bullpen because if fans don't understand that, it impacts the other relievers in the bullpen, because it's like when you have someone it was like the Kegan top In conundrum. He he had to pitch well, he had to pitch four or five innings. Otherwise it just wasn't valuable to them because he didn't recover quickly, and it couldn't be that like every other day guy, which you need guys to be like being in the bullpen is it's not easy. You got to recover quickly, you got to be available. Availability is such a big thing in the bullpen.
Speaker 2: It's one other name. I think a couple of people I've been curious it sounds like Riley Martin. You know, we're not going to see him pitching again this year. It's been kind of up and down in his recovery and so it was a nice quick story early in the year, but just has not bounced back. So the Cups still have, you know, a ton of options here. We're going to get into this in a future episode. But yeah, Polentci and Brown were kind of the two big names coming out of the Socks series of like they're they're on the horizon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bummer for Riley Martin because I forgot. I mean, I knew he was really good and really important to the team, but then I looked at the numbers again and I forgot how good that strikeout rate was. He wasn't walking dudes. Just a was a really good story. The small chance, I shouldn't say small chance surgery isn't out of out of the question with him They're kind of gonna see how he recovers going forward, and then if he's not recovering, well then it's like back to the drawing board. Let's see what happens. All right. That's it for this episode. Thanks so much for listening to everyone. This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and I are on top of all things cubs. Thanks for listening and watching. Everyone. Take care,