Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Welcome to Merin Talks Your Money, the personal finance edition of Merin Talks Money and these bonus podcasts, we talk about the best strategy for making the most of your money. A Merin sumset web and with Me, senior reporter and author of The Money Just Tells the newsletter, John step back, Hi, John, Now, listen.
Speaker 2: We really like.
Speaker 1: Getting questions and feedback from our listeners, don't we jump back me up on this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great, it's extremely interesting, and so.
Speaker 1: We're going to answer a listener's question today ask us to talk about non equity baskets. But before we get onto that and explain to you what a non equity basket is, of course, but you go through some of the other notes we've had from listeners, because we promise you we do read them all. Not all of them become episodes, but we definitely read them all and we think about them right. First up is Tracy. Tracy is a long term listener and she takes issue with her idea about holding cash. She feels that holding six months worth of expenses in a cash I ser is sensible for most people, but not for everyone. She cites two other groups of people, first though saving for a first house to posit, saying it doesn't seem sensible for them to invest a posit in And I said, and the second.
Speaker 2: Category would be the elderly. She talks about her mother.
Speaker 1: Tracy explains her mother has just sold her house, now lives in a care home and the cash in the house is being used to pay care fees. Therefore it doesn't make sense to invest that cash. That's actually an extremely sensible piece of feedback, I think. And one thing I would say, John, I don't know what you think, but it might be a good idea if you if you're talking about quite a lot of money from the sale of a house, just leaving that sitting in one cash account could be a mistake because you're only protected up to eighty five thousand pounds in each bank account, So that's worth thinking about.
Speaker 3: Technically, there is comfort for temporary big sums. If you are selling the house and you'll be wee noses for a few months, then double check with your preveder. But I think that it's covered for up to a million in certain circumstances.
Speaker 2: But that's not what we're talking about here.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely not. This is long term, so yeah, she bit.
Speaker 2: Tough to splatter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there is a case, and again there's probably something we should look at probably another time. There is a case for holding short term guilts and just continuing to roll those over getting the income from that, and there's some tax advantage there as well, So there's definitely a case for that if you've got a very large amount of money that you're holding on to for an elderly parent who's in a care home, because as we know, those care homes can come in at a one hundred grand a year plus, right, So you know, I hope.
Speaker 2: It was a big house, Tracy. I hope it was a big house, and I hope your mother as well.
Speaker 1: And the other thing on the housing point, that's absolutely true. The last thing you want to do if you're saving up for a housing deposit is to put that money at risk in stock markets because it's short term savings.
Speaker 3: Right well, yeah, absolutely, And to be fair, we've never said that. I think this slate thing Tracy was taking Asue with as well was the eighty the cash ISA allowance should be reduced, and I think as a slightly trickier concept because I don't think that many people saving up for a deposit. I mean, there's gonna be a locket of twenty grand, which is the annual allowance for one year, let alone multiples of that. I can certainly see why you would want to keep a large sum of cash in an ISA so that it's tax free. For the second scenario, a kind of elderly person in care at home fees. At the same time, I think that there still is a discussion to be had about whether the cash annual allowance should be as generous as it currently is, but that there's an element swings and round the boots.
Speaker 1: There one other thing that we wanted to look at. Lucy got in touch to ask if there are any free or low cost personal finance resources specifically for women. I would say on that, but I'm interested to hear what you said, Jonas Sanfrees. Yes, there are loads of free, low cost personal finance resources.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Merin Talks Your Money podcast on.
Speaker 1: Which which is free at your your favorite podcast provider, and we do a lot of personal finance. Then of course there's Money Saving Expert. There's Money Week, where John and I both used to work, which has a lot of free stuff on its website. There are boards of websites there blonde money, John, can you think of some.
Speaker 3: Others boarding money, Holy Planks, very money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm meant totally. So there's loads. Yeah, that's good. It's very much all it is. Yeah, not quite what Lucy's after.
Speaker 1: So there are lots and lots of free resources and money saving expert is that go to for so many people when it comes to looking at the granularity of personal finance, And I'm not sure that you need to look at anything specifically for women. The rules are the same men and women. There are a few things that are different about female personal finances. Of course, we are the ones who take perhaps longer breaks to take care of early relatives, to look after children, et cetera. So maybe are there are issues about how much we should put independents, etc.
Speaker 2: But the rules don't change. They're the same for everybody.
Speaker 1: So I'm not sure that you ever need to look at female specific finances. I say that as someone who wrote a book on female specific finances about twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: The rules of the same, the emotions might be different, is that, fat John?
Speaker 3: I think that's fair. The one thing I would say, and I think one of the things that came across in your book originally is that it's not so much about the rules as the situations. And obviously that's always a tricky thing to talk about because people simultaneously kind of like the idea of equality but also don't like the idea of admitting that there are differences, and that there are situations like pregnancy, for example, which are almost bound to cause differences in your life path that are not the same as those of the average man. What kind of always irritates me about this discussion is that it kind of often focuses on kind of stupid things like are women more or less risk averse than men, which is clearly just situational, as opposed to focusing on the kind of more important things about, well, okay, what should you do if your career is more likely to not be a straight kind of line from twenty to sixty five and more likely something that's broken up? And I actually don't think there's enough coverage of those things. I think we like to sweep those under the carpet. That's kind of a separate issue that is more about the different life path of you know, of your average women compared to your average.
Speaker 1: We've got John the Feminist on the show where.
Speaker 2: You do.
Speaker 3: Only creepy man to strivee themselves as feminists. Really totally sorry, its thing late women and sympathize with women and the issues. But I think that you can only be a feminist if you're a woman. Actually, that's a whole different topic.
Speaker 1: All right, Listie, I'm going to take that one offline with John, but I will definitely dedicated podcast over the next few months specifically to the different different pathways to pensions. I think is probably what it's all about. That's the man and women with it. Well, we'll come back to that one. Thank you very much for it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: One more, I got in touch about the government's move to abolish the lifetime allowance, how it affects people.
Speaker 2: If there's any way you can get back tax that he's already paid.
Speaker 1: Oh, took a a retirement in twenty twenty a mixture of defined benefit and defined contribution pensions. Games my sympathy slipping away in slipping away over the years, my DC did pretty well. Okay, it's gone, and I ended up my total pension exceeding the lifetimee lifetime allowance. I'm definitely gone. In fact, I stopped contributing and got individual protection status. Do I have to go on with this?
Speaker 2: However, so the.
Speaker 1: Send the government doesn't bolished the lifetime allowance because it was coming to punitive for public sector employees, especially senior doctor doesn't even said yes, Starma had his own specific civil service pension scheme that exempted him from the lifetime allowance.
Speaker 2: Yes he did.
Speaker 1: By the way, my sympathy for him is also entirely evaporated. So my question is, is there any way I can get that tax back now the lifetime allowances be abolished.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: There may be a more complicated answer to this, but my answer is no, I don't think so, John, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I can't imagine that that is. And I think the main thing that ian Zimia was illustrates is the problem with the government constantly changing the rules, so it creates I mean iansawenna he's sad to apply for lightfstime allians protection, which means he's even got higher bakestiame alans than most people hide. But the point is the fact that it does keep changing, and that's very detrimental. It creates winners and losers, and it also puts people off saving anti pensions understandably.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, leaving that one, we are now going to go onto today's actual episode. Today we will be answering a question from Nelma, and she says, at sixty eight, I self manage my money, which is all either in a sip or an I say, well done. I increasingly want less in equity investments and more in safer holdings. I wish to reduce my sixty percent equities. I have cash itces and very short term guilts. Where else can I put my money to increase my non equity basket? Is it money marketing funds and bond funds? Well, this is really interesting one, isn't it, John, Because sixty percent equity is at at sixty eight when it's self managed, I'm not sure that many financial advisors would necessarily advise now pulling that much below sixty And when we were looking at this the other day and wondering exactly what it is that NILIMA is is after hearing that there are if it's income you're after, there are a lot of what you might call safe income equity products. And one of the things that you and I look at a lot is the dividend heroes, the AIIC, so the investment trust sort have put their dividend up every year for however many years. I've actually had a new list just in the nick of time.
Speaker 2: So lots of them.
Speaker 1: Scottish American has put its dividend up for fifty one years, Merry Income Trust fifty one years, Runner Investment Trust fifty three years, etc. Caledonian Investments fifty seven years, City of London fifty eight years.
Speaker 2: They're not going to break that record.
Speaker 1: So what you know is if you go out and you buy the City of London Investment Trust, you can't guarantee that that dividend will constantly be put up to match inflation if inflation goes berserk. But nonetheless, what you know is that it's more than likely to rise every year. So that seems if it's income you're after and hanging on to your capital at the s same time, that would seem a reasonably sensible way to go, even though it's still an equity product.
Speaker 2: So that's one thing to look at.
Speaker 3: One of the things here is is it's just being curious as to what Neliam's overall goal is at this point. I mean, if she's got more than enough money and she actually just wants to reduce the absolute amount of risk that she's taken in her portfolio, then I can get why you might want to move more money towards kind of cash type assets because you just don't want to take any risk by the inflation risk. It's tricky about knowing exactly what she's aiming to do. And I know, I mean because Neliam has been quite a regular correspondent over the years, and so I'm pretty sure that she's quite clued up in the fact that she's managing her own set and all of that is impressive. But so I'm sure she knows what she's doing. But in the absence that kind of gold structure is a thing, it's much harder to say.
Speaker 1: I suppose, I'm the real question is she loo looking for to maintain her income or is she looking to hang on to her capital one undred percent in real terms?
Speaker 2: Or is it both?
Speaker 1: These are very important ways to look at it. If you want to preserve your capital, do you need to preserve it in real terms? Do you just want to preserve it in nominal terms? Why do you need to preserve your capital I mean that's the other question that we should often be asking people.
Speaker 2: What are you preserving your capital? Four?
Speaker 1: Is it because you want to leave it to somebody? Is it because you're frightened of these you know, care home fees, etc.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: And one of the things that we often ask people is why wouldn't.
Speaker 2: You just die broke?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why hang on to the money? What's going on there? So that's a good question to ask yourself. But outside that, yes, it is money market funds, it's short term guilts, it's.
Speaker 2: I'd be quite worry of bond funds.
Speaker 1: Actually, with the inflation environment, there's a lot of crazy stuff going on out there. I'm not entirely sure that I would look at a bond fund these days and go, oh look, aye, buy that, I'm safe.
Speaker 2: You're not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I cannot feel with boinds you probably need to be looking more to And this says quite complicated, but it's kind of structuring your own boindlide or tape. Thing weird because probably bond funds is that they constantly sell the boinds before the mature, and so that means that they can take a whack when interest rates change, whereas if you're an individual holder, you can hold the bonds and I mean you'll still get whacked by inflation in terms of you know, if you hold it for five years and it turns out of the interest rate and the guilt wasn't enough to compensate you for the inflation over that time, you've lost money in real terms, but your nominal money will come back. So I think if you're really worried about the protection of your your nominal value, then you have to look at individual bonds for yourself. If the longer term. Obviously, money market funds are just that is what they had do, just short term treasuries and boinds that are shouldn't then rEFInd us by the government very rapidly, so they're basically just cash accounts, but in the bond market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So in the end, if you want to be said you really are cash cash equivalent, I think so Jason just moving into cash. And the other thing is that we're not going to get ded get into gold now. But you know that's a sort of cash equivalent that might or might not preserve the value of your capital. So if you have look on the Bluebook website, you'll find lots of stuff about gold, and obviously in our podcast last week was about the line, we talked about gold at some length. I mean, that's worth thinking about. But of course it's not going to guarantee the preservation of your capital, because it's not like that.
Speaker 3: That's important to emphasize, just because I do think that people get partectar in gold's going up as it is now, people start to believe that it is something that invariably protects the capital. We like gold on this show. We think it. You know, we've been talking about that you should have part of your portfolio in it for like, you know, twenty or years now. But the point is it does go down in nominal terms, and it does go down in real terms. You know, if if you buy it and it falls by twenty percent, which is perfectly possible, then if you have to sell it, then you're going to make it twenty percent loss.
Speaker 2: You know, that's just that.
Speaker 3: So it's not like cash from that point of view. Just think it's important to emphasize, and I think.
Speaker 1: We're confidence saying that it will preserve the value of capital.
Speaker 2: Over the very long term.
Speaker 1: But no one could argue for a long time about what the very long term is exactly, And I suppose the only other option for Neirlima, which is something that I'm sure she's thought about already, is an annuity.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, if she's really worried run in there, then that's somethingty consider.
Speaker 1: And it's also a lot more attractive now if you think about it in terms of the way that pensions will be taxed going forward. In the old Azima was slightly assuming that she's looking to leave her money to somebody, hence the need to preserve the capital, etcetera. It used to be you could just leave your money on your pension and it would effectively become a trust fund for your heirs. But this isn't going to be the case anymore with the reforms or should I say changes to pension taxation. It's now going to be liable for inheritance tax and then liable for your income tax after that. So that's quite a big percentage of the capital it's going to vanish on your death anyway, assuming she's in the zone for inheritance tax. So with that in mind, given that you're likely to lose the majority of that capital if you're reasonably wealthy when you die, makes more sense than it used to to use the money inside that wrapper to buy an annuity which will pay you at a relatively good income because in unity right, so obviously they've gone up quite a lot recently.
Speaker 2: Is that fair?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? And she also doesn't have to spend all of the money on an innuity, and you know, shit can get a certain amount of inflation proofing as well, although obviously that means that you have to pay more for the annuity. If we having this chat eight years ago, in the idea of buying an innuity, would it seemed kind of only if you were really desperate for certainty. But at this point it's definitely something to throw into the mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, anything else, John, That's all my thoughts on the matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's one thing. I've got any more thoughts on it either. I do think it does boil down to what Nellima's overall goals, and the thing is sixty eight is I don't know. I feel that it's quite a tricky age in terms of thinking about you know, you might actually have much longer to go, and alternatively, perhaps you know you may not, And so I think, you know, it's what's kind of like thinking about in those terms of what is it that you also want to achieve in your remaining time and thinking about what you want to do and know what that's all about, existential and gem But it'll be cool first pension planning for you.
Speaker 1: Thanks John for giving us that note to end things on. But I would just say, by the way, that we do not know everything about Ilima's personal circumstances. So absolutely nothing that John and I have discussed today is to be construed as advice, either for her or for that matter, for anybody else. We're just shooting the breeze about what we think, right John, Yeah, do not take this as advice.
Speaker 2: And if you want to do anything like we've discussed.
Speaker 1: And you're not expert on these things, do please consult a financial advisor.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this week's Maren Talks to Your Money.
Speaker 1: If you like our show, rate review, and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts also be showed. Follow me and John on ex or Twitter at marens w and John Underscores Effect.
Speaker 2: This episode was produced.
Speaker 1: By Summersadi and Moses, and the sound designed by Blake. Maple's questions and comments on this show and all our shows, as always welcome, our show emails Marimani at bloomberg dot net,