Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hell that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 3: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day at the State.
Speaker 2: Is that? Whoo whoom? And Dan and Tyell welcome back to the Cliverbo boys and girls. My name is ty Hildenbrandt. You'll hear from Dan Rubinstein in just a second. This is a portion about twenty five minutes or so of the hour long show we do on Spotify called College Football Thursdays. We do it every Thursday at five pm Eastern two pm Pacific. Anybody can listen. We talk news, we make bets, we play weird games like the one you're about to hear Dan introduce here. Once we get rolling, we'd love to have you stop by next Thursday and check it out if you're able. It's a great primer just to close out the week get ready for the weekend ahead in college football. We've been having a ton of fun doing it, inviting people up on stage to chat with us, just reading the comments as we go through.
Speaker 1: It's surely been a cool experience.
Speaker 2: So thank you to everybody who supports college football Thursday and Thank you to everyone out there for listening to our show, for your continued support of the solidverbal. It means the world to us. Without further ado, again, about twenty five minutes of this week's college football Thursday but the Solidverbal onto the game for today. Okay, you want to explain this? Should I explain this?
Speaker 1: How do we want to do this?
Speaker 3: It's it's quite easy. So we're looking at the schedule right now. There are no obvious headliners, which means it is going to be an obviously chaotic weekend. Right as soon as you look at the schedule and you're like, well, there's no seven verses eight, there's no three versus sixteen, there's no nine versus twelve. You know what's the fun in that? That we don't have these headline matchups that we're all gonna, you know, watch it what noon eastern on Fox or going to eight eastern on ESPN, ABC, whatever, Like, I don't know. It just seems kind of like an off weekend, an unexciting weekend. Wrong, that's and the.
Speaker 1: Good stuff happens.
Speaker 3: We all know.
Speaker 2: That's what they say about serial killers, right, it's always the quiet ones.
Speaker 3: I was not going to go in that direction. I was not going to go in that direction. I am just saying we are about to dip the nacho chip in the excitement case. So that's what I think is in line for this weekend. And so we are going to use our own metric. So we have Look, we play this sound on the show on the regular podcast oliverble dot com, just when we are so excited for something. And then we built our entire scale of which window makes the most sense to get excited about because of the roster of games. You know, is at the early window, the afternoon window, the night window, and how do we rank those in terms of gossling quotes? Right, So we have no one is paying attention, always paying attention.
Speaker 1: That is an.
Speaker 3: Opportunity, opportunity and all of those things. All of those things can apply to potential chaos and whatever and wherever it'll unfold in week three. But I didn't want to just have Ryan Gosling. It's Jared Bennett, the character from The Big Short, yelling it. I didn't want to have him just yell I'm Jack to the tits. I wanted to I wanted to add a groove to it for our intro. I wanted to add a little bit of class, a little bit of rhythm to it.
Speaker 2: Ty.
Speaker 3: So this is where I fell. Oh here it comes. Oh my gosh, that's good for us. That might not be good for us. Who knows, no, possibly not. So we're gonna take these games. We're gonna take these windows and figure out where the chaos chunk comes in.
Speaker 2: As you are listening along in the chat, please weigh in and let us know which upsets you think are possible, what you like, what is sneaky. Let's start in the early window. I've got four games here pulled out. The first is the Oklahoma Nebraska game. We talked about this on our pre production call. The line in this game is Nebraska getting eleven at home.
Speaker 1: That feels low.
Speaker 2: It's even lower now than it opened. It was thirteen and a half at one point, and people have been crushing Nebraska. A lot of folks are betting Nebraska in this game, which feels weird because Oklahoma has been pretty solid so far this season, with maybe had a rough half last week, but all told, has still been relatively solid. The numbers definitely add up fairly well for Oklahoma. Behind the scenes, Nebraska fires coach Nebraska struggling in close game situations, yet the line goes down.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 2: Georgia on the road at South Carolina, a heavy favorite. Of course, we've seen heavy favorites and what they've done in recent weeks. South Carolina's got a brand new starting quarterback and they are playing at home.
Speaker 1: Tough place to play. Williams Price.
Speaker 2: Yes, another game that has chaos potential in the early window Perdue at Syracuse. That line is Syracuse minus one and a half. I might talk about this one a little bit later, but suffice to say, you don't just go up to the JMA Wireless Dome.
Speaker 3: And expect to look at that every time.
Speaker 2: I've got what it's called. I can go from memory now. It took me a while, though, it took me all off season and then the final one that I pulled out here and I don't know why because I couldn't even find a point spread on it. The vaunted Wafford Terriers are on the road at Virginia Tech. They play this game at eleven am. It's like a high school game on Thanksgiving Day. Eleven am. The rare early start for two East Coast teams Wafford traveling to Virginia Tech. So, in terms of chaos, Dan, where's the chaos potential for you in that early block?
Speaker 3: Is there a field hockey team that needs the field at Lane Stadium?
Speaker 2: Like two point thirty?
Speaker 3: Guys, we got to start at eleven. We've got a heart out at two forty. Okay, sure, I'm sure there is a reason. I'm sure there is either a TV reason or some kind of scheduling reason between these two teams to have it at eleven am Eastern. But that is my fantasy that Virginia Tech fallen to the point where, like, guys, Innermural Ultimate Frisbee has a reservation on Lane Stadium.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Three, there's a sign out sheet on like the intramural building.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's just like a very angry Ultimate team waiting on the sideline for the game to finish, like hi, as we promised. Okay, so the chaos here, I like Purdue over Syracuse. Upon further thought, I think I like that a lot. South Carolina over Georgia. Would need like an All American squinter. To find where that happens and how that happens. You really have to go between a number of lines here and Nebraska Oklahoma. I like Nebraska. I'm in a zag. I know Oklahoma's favored by outright, No, I don't like him out right. Ah of these options because Perdue over Syracuse is not a major, major, no earth shaking upset. There is something about Oklahoma where I believe them to be good. I believe Oklahoma to be good. But also I could see us sort of realistically Sunday morning saying to ourselves, yeah, we thought we liked Oklahoma, but we hadn't really seen anything specific to know why, and so sure they can lose. The loss to Nebraska makes sense. Nebraska has been moving the ball, but that's still a little bit of a squint. I'm just saying a home team with a good offense, I'm not going to fully write off Nebraska, even with everything that's happening off the field.
Speaker 2: I think between the Purdue Syracuse game and certainly Oklahoma Nebraska, and maybe for some chunk of time the Georgia South Carolina game, there's potential for some chaos, some fun. Sure those would be fun games to watch.
Speaker 1: In terms of.
Speaker 2: Actual chaos potential, it's the Nebraska game, I think, far and away that's the only answer here. So you know, I don't know if you've got those sounds they're ready, but I would probably put this one as like a one out of three in terms of chaos potential.
Speaker 3: Well, when you say that.
Speaker 1: No one is paying attention, that's.
Speaker 3: When, just like you said it's the Quilond, no one's paying attention to a couple of these teams as actual threats, that's when they get you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's move on to the afternoon block. There are a couple of big games that we have to mention, not necessarily upset potential, but in the three point thirty to four o'clock window. Penn State at Auburn's nice matchup BYU at your Oregon Ducks. Also got Troy at app State. Game Day is going to be at app State this week, which is nice for them after the big win. Here's where I think the chaos potential is. There's some weird matchups here.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: We've got Kansas at Houston. Kansas at Houston, Houston has had a rough go of it, and Kansas can score points. Could definitely envision a scenario Sunday morning waking up like, did that one really go into double overtime? Again for Houston. I can see that happening. I can see that happening all miss at Georgia Tech. We talked about this on the Previews show. We really want to root for Georgia Tech. We don't have a great reason to do so, but perhaps Jeff Simms can put something together at home and make that one a little bit more interesting than meets the eye. You were about Tulane in Kansas State, weren't you.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, no, I just think that's interesting. Tulane has been moving the ball well early on. Michael Pratt's been good, and then Kansas State has Douce Fawn, which is always going to be entertaining. Adrian Martinez say, which you will can be entertaining. The Kansas State helmet is looking pretty great and slick. I like that. I think this window is terrific. I really really do. There's something for everybody. I'm ready for it, and I am ready for I think I took Houston. I don't know what the spread is at the time we're doing this, like eight and a make your picks eight and a half, nine points whatever. I took Houston because I think Kansas might be as smidge overvalued after their West Virginia win, just because I think they're going to be sort of all over the place this year as they get back to respectable, hopefully under Land's Leipold. But of all of the losing in a losing effort potential in this window, Clayton tune throng for five hundred and sixty three and six touchdowns in a losing effort, Yeah, most certainly on the TI, most certainly right there on the table.
Speaker 2: The chaos potential here is Cal at Notre Dame. And here's why. First off, Notre Dame's I went to and Cal doesn't play any offense. These aren't two good teams at this juncture in the season. Notre Dame is wearing their green jerseys. Mm hmm. I found this out about an hour and a half ago. As a Notre Dame fan. I am beside myself at this news. You know where I stand on the green jerseys. Know where I stand. Every now and again a coach gets the bright idea at Notre Dame that we're gonna we're gonna shake things up, shake down the thunder if you will, and we're gonna wear the greens.
Speaker 3: Is it you think it's the coach's decision.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. It's not not the coach's decision. I'm sure he has some say in it.
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it's Frank under founder of Under Armoured, deciding that, hey, we need to wear special uniforms that we saw often.
Speaker 2: My only point is the green jerseys are cursed, and so if you're and I tweeted this out, but it's like the gambling gods nelt be for you, whispered directly into your ear to take cal plus eleven, do not bet on Notre Dame in this game. They're wearing the green, They've got a new starting quarterback, their offense is in shambles. There is a chance they lose this game. There's a legit chance they lose this game. It would be a very ugly Iowas game. We're going to talk about Iowa here momentarily. It will be a very ugly game if they lost. But the offense has not been good and they are going up against a good defense and now they were great jerseys. I don't like it, don't I don't like it. There's a lot of chaos potential here that it's like a two if you got the two sound. Don't know what the two sound sounds like from Ryan Gosling, but this is a two for me at a three. Okay, So.
Speaker 3: If I'm interpreting what we mean by chaos, wouldn't buy definition. I know Notre Dame is the favorite here by eleven points, but we've got a two to zero team and then an zero to two team who has really struggled at times on offense. So chaos would almost be Notre Dame out of nowhere unexpectedly looking good. Wouldn't that be the unexpected result in this game that nobody was really expecting.
Speaker 2: This is this, This is really mind bending at this point. It's been a long day for both of us.
Speaker 3: I know, I understand what I'm saying. Drew Pine looks excellent. Marcus Freeman and Tommy Reese in concert, no turnovers, just slicing and dicing the CAL defense. That's kind of a chaotic turnaround for Notre Dame. Out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Drew Pine throwing for five hundred and thirty yards in like four touchdowns against a decent CAL defense would be in would be the ultimate zag given where things have been the last two.
Speaker 3: Weeks, maybe even just a shootout in this game forty two to thirty eight. Who could have seen this coming between Drew Pine and Jack Plumber that would have definitely.
Speaker 2: How might not score forty eight points all year? That's tough. It's a tough break, all right. So I'm a two out of three for this up.
Speaker 1: That is an opportunity.
Speaker 3: So there's opportunity for chaos. We're not sure in which direction. But let's talk about these other games. Let's talk about what is the chaotic unforeseen result in Penn State Auburn.
Speaker 2: The chaotic unforeseen result is Sean Clifford gets yanked, either due to injury I hope not due to injury, or due to performance. Drew Aller comes in and lights it up and is suddenly the next great hype at Penn State. See.
Speaker 3: I think Penn State has moved the ball enough at times. I know they were like the ninety fifth best offense or something in points per drive last year. To me, with everything that has happened off the field, with the transfers in and out, the unforeseen chaotic element would be Auburn winning this game like twenty seven to three and having its act together in a big spot at home with the weight of the world crushing down upon their shoulders.
Speaker 2: What about Oregon? What about Oregon? What will be the most chaotic possible outcome for that BYU Oregon game?
Speaker 3: So Oregon's favor but I think a good hefty percentage of the money is on BYU.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you have that a metric in front of you, I think I'm gonna have to tie it back to the previous game. In a previous Auburn quarterback looking incredible for Oregon and bouncing because Baylor, excuse me, Baylor BYU looks like the team with its act together more. But it's at Oregon their favorites.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Three three and a half points.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: We've already seen Oregon get destroyed this year, so there's nothing crazy and unforeseen about that. So I think it's a high flying Oregon comfortable win. To me would be chaotic enough to be like, oh wow, that was not what anybody saw coming except for super duper to Oregon diehearts. So yeah, that to me would be that would qualify.
Speaker 2: Let's move into the late window here, if we could one final grouping of games. The big one in this block is the nine PM game, it's Miami at Texas A and M. This line has jumped around a little bit. The last I saw it was back up to six after being at five in favor of Texas A and M for a few days. I think this window has the most chaos potential, all right, and here's why. Listen to the Listen to these games here, Texas Tech at NC State, Pit at Western Michigan, UTSA at Texas, potentially third stream quarterback, Texas Fresno at USC And then you know, we just we kind of hinted at this game when we did our preview podcast. Nevada at Iowa, oh Man, Nevada getting twenty three points. Brian Farren's apparently getting cameos, spoof cameos from Bob Steves.
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 2: Just a beautiful, beautiful piece of art from Bob Steves. There's a lot that could go sideways in that block of games. Texas Tech, you know, kind of starting over under Joey McGuire, but won last week. They can score points. You know they're gonna throw it. NC State veteran unit favored by ten. We'll talk about this game momentarily. Wink week nudge, nudge, but Texas Tech is sort of an interesting team to me. Pitt on the road at Western Michigan, Pitt has some it's some of its own quarterback issues right now because of injury, and Western Michigan beat them last year. I don't think Western Michigan's any good. But given the circumstances, you could see a scenario in which Pitt.
Speaker 1: Struggles to move the ball.
Speaker 2: UTSA also dealing with We're also going to a place that is dealing with quarterback issues in the Great State of Texas. Quinn you Ers Hudson Card might be going Chas right, is their third string quarterback who's never thrown a college pass. And then Fresno USC. Fresno I think is a better team than Stanford. I think they can move the ball in USC. The points spread there is twelve and a half. I would never want to bet USC minus the number in a game like that. I just think all of these games have potential to be interesting. And then there's a Nevada Iowa game, which I have no idea what to expect that Iowa would you would expect like the most chaotic possible outcome there is Iowa winning fifty two to nothing.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, you have no idea what to expect out of Iowa. Iowa is screaming from the hilltops. There are no hilltops I understand in the Midwest, but just bear with my analogy. Iowa is screaming from mounds of dirt. This is who we are. We have established this, this is our identity. Uh yeah, we know, we know who Iowa is. And maybe they'll improve to a better version of who they are right now, but yeah, this is what is it? Twenty three points, twenty two points, twenty three Yeah, oh my god, it's hard again that you need to be a pro level squinter like okay, so few punt blocks that people fall on in the end zone that gets them to twenty eight and they're gonna hold a bout. Novad is not good at all, obviously, first year coach and Ken Wilson. It's gonna be just losing to incarnate. Incarnate word excuse me, ward is the transfer. It's gonna take a little bit. It's gonna take a little bit.
Speaker 2: So you're right.
Speaker 3: The chaos is ioa so getting it all together, getting unexpectedly healthy on offense and finding new playmakers. Throwing out that old playbook starting all over and it working in a matchup they should, they should part of win, the sure should win easily.
Speaker 2: But by the way, Dylan in the chat saying Iowa can't score twenty three and a half points. We've got Luke here saying he thinks we could see one hundred or more combined points in the Fresno USC game, which I don't think. Sure, I don't think is off the table. Nate saying fire Farances hashtag fire Farances, totally understand that. Someone says I think we need to give Brian Ferrence full control. That would be you talk about a zag, that would be That would be a real zag to give him more control after what the offense has done so far this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to talk about USC Fresno because this is a fascinating matchup and the chaos is obviously Fresno just finding a way to win this game, which is not crazy unforeseen because Fresno has been a good program these past few years since Jeff had for took over left and it is now back. But they've got a good quarterback. They should have a good offense coming off of a i'm sure heartbreaking lost to Oregon State in the last second. But let's be fascinating, absolutely fascinating. This is USC trying to get better on defense because there's not much better that they can do on offense. I suppose they could run the ball with more consistency and pop some more big runs, but they're just going to score points against I guess everybody other than Utah maybe and Fresno is they're there to play spoiler. These two teams have gone back over the years and played some memorable matchups. Obviously none more than in one of the two thousand and five when Reggie Bush had a bajillion yards. But I mean you go back two three four years, they are, you know, giving USC all they can handle late in that comeback, it was a comeback loss. Excuse me, but no, this one is if you are on the West coast or even in the Mountain time zone and you don't have small children exhausting you. We're staying up for absolutely thing up for. But it's the first true test that USC. I think we'll see this here yeah in USC.
Speaker 2: By the way, on the road next week can core Vallis against Oregon State, which is another one too, another game we're going to have to talk about for sure. I see folks lighting up the chat. This is about that time in the show where you can start lining up with your picks. So if you don't have the Spotify Live app yet, click on the button down below you can see it. If you're listening on Spotify, how you can get over there to download Spotify Live to participate on the stage with us. For those of you who are interested who already have that app, please do give us a holler with a speaker request. We'll get to you as best we can here. Momentarily, I did want to close the loop on this window by bringing up two points. First and foremost, I did mention Miami at Texas A and M. We didn't talk a whole lot about it. Miami a six point dog, Texas A and M lost obviously last week to app state. If they can't get their offense in order, that will be a problem for Jimbo Fisher. As we allude to on our website solidble dot com, we had an article go up where we talked about this interesting push pull between the stubbornness of Jimbo Fisher and how he likes to run his offense with the stubbornness. How Mario crystal ball likes to run his offense, which one will win when push comes to shove. Mario wants to try and run it if he can. I don't know if he's got the line to run it against this defensive front and A and M. You know, is A and M gonna be able to open up things? We joked about it on the last show, but like, okay, does Jimbo have that bone where he can open up the offense and make this a little bit more exciting as opposed to the pickleball offense? As you said, that really just keeps everything close to the line of scrimmage. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine if you're an offensive coordinator who's having some success somewhere else in the country and seeing what Texas A and M's roster on offense looks like, like you guys had a month. You guys had a month of camp and that's what you came up with. That's it, I guess Apstate after the North Carol, Okay, okay, just watching it in absolute awe, this will be a great one. Let me ask you this, and it has to do with Miami, Texas A and M. This should be a great one. It's like a narrative bowl, right, no matter what happens in this game, it's going to fuel some narrative for the rest of the season. Absolutely, So what happens in terms of is there a conference? To you when you look at the slates of different conferences, A lot still obviously in the non conference portion of their schedule, with you know, some interconference games dipped into the mix, like, is it the ACC that just runs rough shot over the sport?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Because that would be a Miami, that would be what Georgia Tech over Ole Miss Every week, it seems like in the non conference they're like, ooh big ten looking spicy, ooh sec twelve and one sec whatever, seventeen and o However many teams in the SEC this week? There always seems to be that conference that just goes wild and wins a bunch of games. What if it's the ACC this week. What if we see Syracuse with another dominant win this week over Purdue. What if we see Virginia Tech getting out of the way for the ultimate frisbee team but picking it to Wafford. What if we see obviously Miami. What if we see it Florida State. Well, Florid State's playing Louisville, but they're obviously considered to be one of the premiere programs within the conference. Pit who does pit at Western Michigan. Yep, there's that potential for the ACC to me this week and Miami would be the central piece.
Speaker 1: They would be. Yeah, that would be a big deal if.
Speaker 3: They went to A and M. This is a little less, a little less luster on a win in college station after last week, but nonetheless it would still be a pretty giant feather in Mario Cristobal's cap.
Speaker 2: Tough place to play, there's still a six point dog. I will close out this bit of the show by just saying here in the late window, Texas losing to UTSA is the singular funniest thing that could happen this weekend because it depends who starts a quarterback. Well, it depends who starts a quarterback. That's an important caveat. But after all of the sunshine that's been pumping all week long about the Texas Longhorns and how well they played on defense, and look, it sucks that Quinnywers has heard. I thought he looked amazing in the little action that we saw of him against Alabama, but even still Texas going down to UTSA in state, UTSA who could clearly recruit off of any win. You know that they're going to be up for this game, and Texas has some has some figuring out to do here. As you said on the show, Roshaan Johnson might find himself in some different meetings. Four and a half, Yeah, this time and a half snaps this time around. So I think this one's three out of three. Give me the three out of three?
Speaker 3: Can we do a some sort of in memoriam at the end of the season, honoring the best losses of the season, because the amount of pride, the amount of confidence, the amount of compliments bestowed on Texas for losing close to Alabama right now, they are the best loser of the year, are they not?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, so we can at the end of the year, we can. I mean, as two key losers in college football, nobody's more qualified than ty hild and Randon Dan Robinstein. But yeah, a lot of a lot of praise heaped on the Texas Longhorns for losing clothes.
Speaker 2: Well, uh, speaking of losers, that's actually a perfect segue versus the world time versus the world. So look, Dan, I did something last week because I'm a generous guy. Of course, as you know, the prior week, in week one, I went what four and.
Speaker 3: One, three to one and one four to one, something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three. I mean, it was just it was just an all time performance from me in week one. I didn't want the world to feel jilted at all by my dominance, and so it was a little bit of a long con. I kind of played cooy, you know when we did the show ago, but I did it on purpose. I went one and four for you, for the world.
Speaker 1: That was my gift to the world.
Speaker 2: My overall record now through two weeks is four five and one, but last week was sort of a gimme for all y'all. The world went five.
Speaker 3: And oh, yeah they did the world.
Speaker 2: The world went five and oh. Last week just a banner showing by the world. I'm glad that we're now back on more level footing. The world actually has me by like a game and a half if you're looking at this in terms of baseball stats, the world overall six and four through two weeks. I am four five and one. Let's get to our picks. For Week three are your.
Speaker 3: I was going to say a nice, a nice little homage to Notre Dame Marcus Freeman in the festival, just jumping out real quick and then following it right up with a bunch of losing, like you're really on brand as a Notre damer. I'm a first half better. What can I say?
Speaker 2: All right? Again? That goofy little game, a bunch of other goofy little games that you will hear throughout the course of this year, can be heard on College Football Thursdays. It is our live spot on Spotify every Thursday at five pm Eastern two pm Pacific. Thank you again for listening. We hope you enjoy your weekend. Dan and I will be back to recap week three in the meantime. As always, stay solid,